On every window-sill in my apartment there are magnificent Christmas cards. These bright unpretentious flowers surprisingly enliven the interior, and abundant bloom in the winter period reminds that a warm summer will come very soon.
Christmas tree is also called the Decembrist (precisely because it often blooms in December, before the New Year) and Schumberberger, and also Varvarin color.
It is not difficult to care for a Christmas car, but you still have to follow some rules for good flowering. And today I want to talk about them.
What does the Christmas tree look like?
The Decembrist is a cactus without thorns. In nature, he is in the form of a climbing plant descends to the ground along the branches of trees. The Christmas tree grows in natural conditions in the tropical forests of Brazil.
Color in the flowers of the Decembrist in nature is very different, but usually there are red, white, orange and lilac colors. There are flowers on the tips of long stems with notches. At home, the flowers of the Christmas tree are not very large, but in nature they reach 8 cm.
Distinctive features of the Christmas tree
Features of Christmas tree growing are associated with the climate in which it grows and develops. In general, they boil down to the following:
- it blooms in winter, before the New Year,
- flowers open slowly, and remain on the stems for a very long time,
- the Christmas tree does not like direct sunlight, therefore it is better not to place it on the south window,
- it is impossible to move a flower after buds appear on it. If you change his position, it is likely that the Decembrist will simply fold the buds and not bloom.
- for watering the Christmas tree water must be defended for at least a week. If you can water it with rain or distilled water, do so,
- Be sure to spray the flower with warm water, and as often as possible. Christmas tree loves moist air.
Caring for the Christmas Eve at Home
Care at home for the Decembrist comes down to taking into account its features.
The soil in which the Christmas tree grows should not dry out, so watering is needed quite often, although moderate. To pour a flower is also not worth it, the roots of the plant do not like dampness. Therefore, the Decembrist needs drainage.
Christmas tree should be watered regularly in spring and summer, but in autumn and winter, before the appearance of buds, watering should be somewhat reduced. In summertime, it is advisable to bring out the Christmas tree to the open air, for example, to the balcony or to the veranda.
After the autumn comes, and watering will become more rare, the plant should be moved to a cool room, the temperature of which does not exceed 18 degrees. After the buds appear on the Christmas cages, watering should again be increased.
Soil for cacti, which is sold in specialized flower shops, is quite suitable for the Christmas tree. This soil is light, friable, well absorbs water and passes oxygen. Do not forget that the flower necessarily need drainage.
As we have said, the Christmas tree should not be put on the south window, because this flower does not like direct sunlight. It is desirable that the rays of the morning or evening sun fall on him, because the Decembrist needs light.
If the apartment’s windows face south, simply move the plant away from the window, or, if there is no such possibility, just pritenite the plant. Christmas drafts do not like drafts either, so be careful when airing the room.
The best temperature for the growth of the Christmas tree varies between 22 and 25 degrees, although in general this flower is stable and tolerates both a decrease and an increase in temperature quite well. Christmas is not a country or heat. nor a cold snap. This is a very viable plant.
As with any ornamental home plant, the Christmas tree needs to be fed periodically. It is best to purchase a special fertilizer for cacti, and apply it in accordance with the instructions in the ground. This should be done at least once a month.
Cut the plant should be primarily for beauty, to form its shoots smooth and neat, otherwise as a result of branching stems Christmas tree looks "uncombed."
Nothing complicated in the home pruning is not - just need to carefully cut off those parts of the stems that seem to you superfluous and too long. These cut shoots can be used later for breeding Christmas tree.
Replace the Christmas car after its flowering, around mid-March. Young plants should preferably be replanted once every three years. and adults once every five years. Christmas tree roots are not very big, so it does not need a more frequent transplant.
The diameter of the new pot should be several centimeters larger than the previous one. The pot needs about a third to fill the drainage, which is necessary for the birth, and soil for cacti. After planting the ground around the flower, it is desirable to slightly tamp.
Christmas tree reproduction
Breeding Christmas carols at home is not particularly difficult. He breeds cuttings. which are separated from the stems, so reproduction can be combined with decorative trimming of the flower.
The part of the stem, consisting of 4-5 segments, you just need to prikopat in a small container filled with a wet substrate. A sprout from above can be covered with a bottle or a jar in order to create the effect of a greenhouse and to facilitate its rooting.
Just do not forget to periodically raise the glass container, giving the cutting to breathe, otherwise it may rot.
When the stalk will have roots (this will happen in about a week and a half), it should be carefully transplanted into a pot filled with drainage and special soil for cacti.
Choose a small pot, because for small roots a large container with wet soil is undesirable.
You need to take care of growth. in time to moisten the soil, gently loosen the soil, spray the young plant and prevent the soil from drying out. If you do everything right, the young plant will quickly develop and grow.
Why does not bloom the Christmas tree
Some flower growers complain that they seem to follow all the rules, but for some reason the Christmas clerk refuses to bloom. The plant looks healthy, produces new shoots, multiplies and rooted easily, but the flowers do not appear on it.
The first reason why a Christmas tree can refuse to bloom is the unfortunate soil in which the microelements necessary for the plant are missing. Christmas tree must be fed, it is a necessary condition for abundant decorative flowering.
The second reason is insufficient moisture. The plant came to us from the humid tropics, so high humidity is also a prerequisite for the flower to feel well.
Splash warm water on it often; the Christmas tree is in need of such moisture. And do not forget about watering necessarily warm water.
The third reason - too bright sun or lack of light. A Christmas tree will feel equally bad both on the north side and on the south window, where direct sunlight falls.
And the fourth reason we have already stopped on is not to rearrange the plant with buds, otherwise you can forget about flowering.
In addition, remember that the laying of buds and flowering at the Christmas tree takes place on rapidly emerging young shoots, so correct and timely cutting of the plant also contributes to its flowering. Therefore, trimming the Christmas tree, you do not just form him a lush crown, but also help the plant to bloom and maintain bloom for a long time.
If the Christmas tree does not just refuse to bloom, or drops the buds, but also begins to fade, losing the stems, the reasons may be as follows:
- in your apartment too dry air,
- you water your flower a little, or you water it with less water
- on the contrary, you poured the plant, and the soil beneath it turned into a real swamp,
- your Christmas present is growing in the wrong soil
- the flower is too close to the central heating radiator.
If you do not have the opportunity to spray the plant with water often, put it in a container filled with wet stones and pour water there as it evaporates.
Useful tips for caring for your Christmas dog
As we have already figured out, the Christmas tree is not difficult to care for the plant, but in order to achieve its abundant flowering, you need to make some effort. And most importantly - properly prepare your plant for flowering.
Tips on caring for a Christmas carte are as follows:
- if you want the Decembrist's bloom to be long and lush, it is recommended to plant it in a narrow pot,
- if during the budding period the flower is put in a room with a temperature of 15-18 degrees, the Christmas-tree will blossom much longer,
- if such a temperature difference occurs during flowering, the Christmas tree can reset the flowers ,.
- in winter, the Christmas tree must be illuminated with the help of artificial lighting,
- at the new place after the purchase, the Christmas tree can throw off the buds, this is a normal process of adaptation to new conditions, you should not worry about it. The next bloom will be normal.
By following all these simple tips and following the recommendations, you will be able to ensure that your Christmas clerk will delight you with abundant and lush flowering throughout the winter period.
Types of Christmas Eve
Today there are a large number of hybrid species that were bred by breeders. All of them are very diverse and vary in size, stem, shades of flowers. But for growing at home These two types are mainly used:
- View Schlumbergar Bukley also called the "Decembrist" or "Varvarin color." In nature, it grows in the humid and tropical forests of northern Brazil. The flowers of this plant grow to 8 cm in length. The Decembrist has a large number of purple-pink flowers and elongated petals with pointed ends. The flowers are radially symmetric plants.
- View Schlumbergera Truncated or Trunkata. Basically, this plant has straight or slightly spreading stems, which consist of a considerable number of areas with sharp denticles on the sides. The flowers do not have a radial shape, but their coloring is very diverse. They can be white, red, salmon, orange-red, yellow, peach and other color.
Breeders are constantly improving and working on the creation of new species. As a result, such Christmas carols were obtained, such as Gold Creme, Exotic, Aspen, Madonna, Paula, Madame Butterfly, and many other types of this amazing flower.
Christmas card: care at home
To grow a beautiful, healthy and flowering plant at home is possible only with proper care. The flower is ranked as a group of capricious home plants.. For it should create optimal conditions for the content, which should be close to its natural habitat. Caring for a Christmas tree is different from caring for ordinary cacti. It is more close to the requirements of indoor leafy plants.
When growing Christmas tree should consider the recommendations for care.
The plant is unpretentious to light, the only thing that can harm it is direct sunlight, which can cause leaves to burn.
To accommodate the Christmas tree a fairly bright place, where there are no direct sunlight, is suitable. The level of sunlight exposure should be in the range of 70–85%.
Watering and moisturizing
Water the plant should be the same as the other deciduous. Watering is moderate, determined as the soil dries. In the flowering period, the Christmas tree needs to be plentiful and frequent watering. It is not necessary to flood the plant, the thin and rather fragile root system in this case may rot. The soil should always be slightly wet. Watering is reduced after flowering.
In the warm season the plant water as the soil dries. With the onset of cold weather, the flower is cleaned in a cool place and reduce watering. Water for irrigation should be soft and room temperature.
For temperature, the Christmas car is unpretentious. But at the same time it is important to avoid sudden changes in temperature. The best temperature for flower growth is 18-25 degrees. In the autumn, the Decembrist should be provided at least 15 degrees. In such conditions, the plant will get stronger before winter flowering.
When the first buds appear, the Christmas tree should be placed in a room with a temperature of about 20 degrees. After flowering, it is cleaned again in a cool place. For good flowering, it is very important to observe the temperature regime.
Soil and fertilizer
Special soil mix for cacti is quite suitable for Christmas. It is important that the soil has good absorbing properties. Although this mixture can be prepared at home. This will require the following components in the same proportions:
- leaf and turf land,
- clean and coarse river sand.
As for feeding, the Decembrist is not particularly demanding for them. He needs fertilizers only for proper growth and development. The optimal fertilizer for him will be a mixture of potassium, nitrogen and phosphorus, which are added to the water. Feed the plant should be before the formation of the first buds.
Christmas Cycle Life Cycle
The life cycle of a flower is divided into the following periods:
- From October to November - the period of rest. At this time, the plant needs complete rest at a temperature of 15-18 degrees, watering once a week and a short day in the afternoon. From the second decade of November, the flower can be sprayed and watered 3-4 times a week.
- From November to December - the period of formation. First, buds are first formed. Watering during flowering should be regular and quite abundant. And the temperature in the room is about 20 degrees.
- From December to February - the flowering period. Dry air and rearrangement of a flower pot can result in the bud falling off. You can not rearrange and unfold the plant during flowering.
- From March to August - a period of growth. At this time, the flower needs warm, uniform watering and fertilizing (1 time in 14 days).
Transplantation, reproduction and formation of the Christmas tree bush
The young Decembrist is growing rapidly, so he needs to be transplanted at least once every 2-3 years. If necessary, an adult plant is transplanted once every 3-4 years.
Christmas card has a weak root system, so a large pot for planting is not needed. Transplantation is carried out in the usual way - transshipment. Drainage will require:
- haydite or pebbles (1–2 layers),
- soil mixture (1-3 cm).
The plant is transplanted into a new pot along with an earthy clod, the voids are covered with soil. Strong soil compaction is not necessary. Then the flower is watered and cleaned in a permanent place. As soon as the soil dries out a couple of centimeters, a second watering is carried out.
Christmas tree propagated by two methods - stem cuttings or grafting. But mostly they use the first method, the second is used extremely rarely. Therefore, we consider only reproduction by cuttings.
This will require cuttings with 3-5 segmentsthat are slightly flattened. They are then dropped into a moistened substrate in a temporary container. To create greenhouse conditions, a plastic bottle with a cropped neck is put on top of the cutting. In order for the cuttings not to rot, the bottle is sometimes lifted. When the cuttings take root, they are transplanted into a permanent pot. It is not necessary to take a large pot for transplantation, it will not only look ridiculous, but too much wet soil will harm a young plant.
Forming a bush
In order to form a beautiful shrub, you need to pluck stem segments. As a rule, do it after flowering plants. It is necessary to select the separation mark, after that the lower part of the stem is clamped with the index finger and thumb, and the upper part must be broken off with the help of rotational movements. This method can be separated into several parts. In no event it is impossible to cut off segments!
Plucking strengthens stalks plants and contributes to abundant flowering. Plants with a well-shaped bush grow longer and bloom every season for more than 20 years, while the trunk of a flower is woody.
Signs of improper care
Thatsthat the flower is the wrong careThe following signs may indicate:
- The Decembrist does not bloom. Many are looking for the reason why the plant does not bloom. The main reason for this is improper lighting or poorly fertilized soil. In order for the flower to bloom, it needs to provide good lighting without direct sunlight. But you should also not place the plant on the north side, but on the south it should be shaded. It is also necessary to lure a flower. Turn and rearrange the pot with a flower when the buds can not be.
- Christmas tree fades. The main reason for this may be rare watering, dry air or lack of nutrients in the soil. Необходимо нормализовать полив и опрыскивание растения, удобрить и сменить полностью почву. Для более эффективного увлажнения можно под кашпо поставить поддон с влажным керамзитом.
- Опадают сегменты. Главная причина – переувлажнённая почва. Christmas dogs do not tolerate transfused soil. In this case, you need to ensure correct, moderate watering.
- Rotting roots. If the flower roots rot, then most likely it will die. The reason lies in the appearance of bacteria or fungi. You can try to transplant to the new soil, but it rarely saves the Christmas tree.
With proper care at home, the Christmas tree is rarely attacked by insects. But if it happened, the flower growers face the following pests:
- Mealybug. It is he who most often attacks the flower, forming clumps of white between shoots. For starters, you can remove the pest manually. To this end, the affected areas are rubbed with a cloth dipped in alcohol. If this does not help, then you can use special medicines against the mealybug.
- Spider mite See this pest is easy. Mite wraps around the whole flower with the finest cobweb. To combat it, use chemicals that are sold in special stores.
Summing up, we can say that the beautiful and abundant flowering of the Christmas tree conquers at first sight. A Christmas present, care for which is properly carried outwill bloom for many years.
Planting and caring for the carnival (in short)
- Bloom: winter, December-January.
- Lighting: bright diffused light or light penumbra (western or eastern windows, south window - with shading in the afternoon).
- Temperature: maintains from 18 to 40 ˚C. In summer, the plant is comfortable at 18–20 ˚C, in winter, at 13–18 ˚C.
- Watering: moderate, only after drying the substrate to a depth of 1-3 cm.
- Air humidity: zygocactus needs regular spraying: in the summer - up to several times a week, in the winter - 1-2 times a month.
- Top dressing: From March to August, 2 times a month with complex mineral fertilizer for cacti.
- Rest period: October November.
- Transfer: young plants are transplanted every 2-3 years, adults once every 4-5 years.
- Trimming: as necessary, the crown of the plant is formed, unscrewing the extra links with your hands.
- Reproduction: vegetative - cutting or grafting.
- Pests: spider mites, mealybugs, scale insects.
- Diseases: phithium, fusarium, phytophthora, defeat by bacteria of the Erwinia group.
Christmas flower - features
When you imagine a cactus, a picture with a thorny plant pops up before your eyes, but there are no rules without exceptions, and a Christmas tree is just such an exception: a cactus without thorns. A Christmas tree is generally a special plant, and you should know about its peculiarities of a florist:
- - flowering begins in December, before the new year, because they call him Decembrist or Christmas Eve,
- - since the flowers open slowly, they remain on the stems for a very long time,
- - the Christmas car feels best on the northeast or west windows. On the south window will require shading from the sun
- - as soon as the budding of the Christmas cage has begun, do not move the pot, otherwise the plant can drop all the buds,
- - water that does not contain chlorine or lime is not suitable for irrigation. The best water for irrigation of the Christmas tree is rainwater, but if there is no place to take it, water it with tap water that has settled for ten days,
- - besides watering, a very important condition for the Christmas tree is the humidity of the air: like all Brazilian plants, the Christmas tree needs to be sprayed with warm water.
How to care for the Christmas tree.
Watering the Christmas tree should be regular, the earthen room should not dry out, but the roots of the flower also do not like slush, so from watering to watering it is worth waiting for the topsoil to dry. From March to August, water the Christmas tree regularly with soft water, spray it and feed it twice a month. In summer, it is better to take the plant to a balcony, terrace, or place it in the yard under the crown of a tree, but away from slugs and snails until late August or early September. Then gradually reduce watering and place the flower in a cool room (approximately 15 ºC) on the southern window-sill - a very suitable balcony for this. As soon as the buds begin to appear, watering and the temperature gradually increase and return the Christmas tree to normal mode. So, here is an approximate calendar for the Christmas card:
- - rest period (October-November): the Christmas tree “rests” in a cool place, having watered once a week. From the second half of November, watering and spraying every other day.
- - budding period (November-December): watering is abundant and regular as the soil dries out, the temperature is about 30 ºC.
- - flowering period (December-February): do not move or move the plant so that the Christmas tree does not throw flowers.
- - growth period (March-August): uniform watering with soft water, heat and additional feeding twice a month with fertilizers for cacti.
How to cut a Christmas tree.
The plant is “trimmed” first of all for a beautiful and even crown, because the stems begin to branch out over time, and the zygocactus looks shaggy. There is no difficulty in circumcising the Decembrist at home: you simply “unscrew the links” of the stem, which seem to you superfluous, and remove the old twigs. Remote shoots can be used as cuttings for breeding the Christmas tree.
How to transplant a Christmas car.
Young plants should be replanted every 2-3 years, and those that are older - in 4-5 years. The root system of the Christmas tree is not very powerful, so the flower does not need a large pot. The pot is filled with a drainage layer to one third and 2/3 with a substrate that can be made by yourself. The soil for the Christmas tree should consist of sand, peat, leaf and sod land in equal shares. Christmas tree transplantation is carried out in mid-March.
What are the enemies of the Christmas tree?
Christmas supporters are sick with fungal diseases: fusarium, phthium and blight. Fusarium is treated with fungicides, and phthium and phytophthora, affecting the root collar in the first place, can be cured by such drugs as Maxim, Vitaros, Topaz. Bacterial diseases arise from infection of the Christmas tree by a group of Erwinia bacteria, and they look like this: a dark spot appears at the base of the stem, then it spreads all over the stem. Sometimes this is accompanied by a discoloration of the stem, sometimes the stem acquires a reddish hue unusual for the plant. Antibacterial drugs are ineffective; the best way to prevent the death of a plant is to remove the affected part of the stem in time. If the process has gone too far, it is better to quickly conduct cuttings and grow a new, healthy plant, and say goodbye to the old, sick.
Among the pests, the spiderweed mites, which die after the treatment of the plant with Actellic or Fitoverm, annoy the Christmas cage. If you find white lumps that look like cotton ones between the shoots, it means that your Christmas cherries were chosen by mealy worms, which means that you will need Aktar or something similar.
Why does the christmas tree fade?
If you water a flower regularly, but despite this, the Christmas tree fades, check if the dry hot air of the central heating batteries affects it. Regular spraying of the plant is necessary, because it comes from tropical forests. And think, is it not time to change the soil in the pot, maybe the plant needs new nutrient soil?
Why is the Christmas tree not blooming?
The reason that the Christmas tree does not bloom is usually in the wrong light and not enough fertile soil: try not to keep it on the north window and shade if necessary from direct sunlight. Do not move the pot with the plant as soon as the buds have appeared, otherwise the plant may lose them, and you may have to puzzle for more than one year how to make the Christmas tree blossom.
Why is the Christmas tree falling?
The reason that the leaves are peeling off at the Christmas tree is a surplus of moisture in the roots of the plant. Succulent is much easier to tolerate dry soil than liquid mud instead of soil. Try not to water the Christmas tree for several days, then pull it out to pull the plant out of the pot along with the earthy lump: if you see dark rotten roots and hear the stale smell of rot, immediately seed the Christmas tree cuttings, because the “flooded” plant will likely die. Although, if you change the soil and stop overwatering the Christmas tree, it can recover.
Photos, descriptions and types of Christmas
The Decembrist is not at all like an ordinary cactus, since it does not have thorns and is a branching bush with articulate, flat shoots (segments) with chipping along the edges. Red, lilac, pink, purple, orange or white flowers are formed at the ends of hanging stems. In length, they can reach from four to eight centimeters.
At home, most often grown three types of Decembrist:
- Booklet - This is the most famous and common type of Christmas. He has drooping shoots and stems with rounded protuberances. The bush can be up to 50 cm tall. Its pink-purple flowers consist of petals and long yellow tubes. Based on this species, many Decembrist varieties were created, which differ in the different color of the buds.
- Russelliana - Christmas cactus with long, segmented, flat, glossy stems and flowers, which consist of a large number of petals of white, purple, red, pink color.
- Zigokaktus truncated - The type of a bush differs in height to fifty centimeters. It has a leaf-shaped light green segments about five centimeters long. At the edges they have sharp teeth. On each shoot one flower is formed about five centimeters long. Their color can be from white and pink to lilac and purple.
How to care for the Christmas at home?
Christmas cactus lighting loves, but does not tolerate direct sunlight. Therefore, it is better to grow it on the western or northeastern windowsills. If your windows face south, then the flower will need to be pritenit. In summer, the plant can be brought to a loggia, balcony or garden, placing it under the crown of bushes or trees. In early September, with the onset of cold nights, the flower is brought into the house.
It is necessary to water the plant regularly, but in such a way that the water in the pan does not stagnate, and there is no slush in the soil. The top layer of soil before watering should dry well. The water used is separated for several days. Watering mode at the Decembrist is special. Therefore, if you have a question why the Christmas tree does not bloom, pay attention to the approximate calendar of the flower growing regime:
- March to September - a period of growth. After flowering, the plant is kept in warm conditions, it is watered evenly with soft water and once every two weeks is fed with fertilizers for cacti.
- In October and November, before flowering, the Decembrist begins rest periodduring which he must gain strength. Therefore, it is placed in a cool place and watered about once a week.
- The second half of November and December - the period of budding. At this time, the best temperature for Christmas is about +30 degrees. It should be regularly and abundantly watered, spray leaflets and do not forget to feed. Watering is made only after the drying of the top layer of soil.
- From December to February during flowering care is the same as in the period of budding.
To get a beautiful bush shape, it can be formed. Overgrown Decembrist may not look very nice. To correct the situation, it is enough to “unscrew the segments” with your hands, thereby shortening the stem to the desired length. Old shoots can be cut off completely and used to breed Christmas.
When and how to transplant Christmas? This should be done in mid-March, when the Christmas cactus ottsvetet. Replant it in a pot centimeter two more than the previous one. The Decembrist root system is small, so plant transplants should be dealt with no more than once every 4-5 years. Young bushes transplanted every 2-3 years.
For transplantation, a special soil for cacti or a mixture of the following components prepared on their own, which must be taken in equal shares, is used:
At the bottom of the new pot drainage is filled up. It should occupy a third of the capacity. After that, a small amount of soil is poured. It is better to do the transplant by transfer, so the flower from the old pot comes with a clod of earth and is placed in a new container. Around and above the roots are sprinkled with soil, which is slightly tamped and watered.
Reproduction by cuttings
In this way, the zygocactus multiplies by cuttings, which should consist of several segments. Separated from escaping from three to five segments, they need a little hold on the air, so that they slightly extinguish. Then a container is prepared that fills with soil. The soil is moistened and the cutting is buried in it. From above the stalk is covered with a transparent cap in the form of a plastic bag, a glass jar or a cut-off plastic bottle. Care for him is to check the soil moisture and airing plantings everyday. After the roots have formed, the stalk is transplanted into a small pot, which should be slightly larger than the volume of its roots. Large capacity for a small sprout will not work.
Christmas Pests and Diseases
Of the Decembrist pests can attack spider mites and mealybug:
- If the segments turn yellow and a cobweb appears on them, it means that a spider mite has settled on the flower. You can get rid of it with the help of the drug Fitoverm or Aktellik.
- White lumps in the form of cotton wool - a mealybug, which can be found on the shoots. It is necessary to fight it with the help of the drug Aktar or other suitable insecticide.
Contaminated soil, cultivation in a draft, waterlogging of the soil - all this can cause a plant to become infected with fungal and bacterial diseases:
- Phytophthora affecting the root neck and phithium are treated with the help of Topaz, Vitaros.
- Bacterial diseases can appear as a dark spot at the base of the stem, which spreads over time. After some time, the stem turns red or discolored.
The affected parts should be removed immediately. And if the whole plant is sick, then it is necessary to separate healthy cuttings from it, and throw away the rest. Prophylactic cuttings are treated with fungicides and used for propagation.
Why does Christmas tree fade?
What if the flower is watered regularly, but it still fades? In this case, you need to pay attention to the following points:
- If the bush has not been transplanted for a long time, it may need new nutrient soil.
- Wilt shoots may be due to the fact that the flower is worth about working radiators. The tropical flower needs increased air humidity, and the batteries come dry and hot. In this case, the bush should be regularly sprayed.
Why does the Christmas tree fall?
If the flower leaves fall off, most likely the reason is the wrong mode of watering. Cacti do not like the abundant and frequent moistening of the soil, which does not have time to dry between waterings. They begin to rot the roots, causing the leaves and shoots to fall. What to do in this case?
If there are a lot of rotten roots, then it is unlikely to be able to save the plant. In this case, it is necessary to separate and root the cuttings in order to get a new healthy plant from them.
Now you know why Christmas can not bloom and the causes of other problems when growing it. Carefully read and follow all the rules for the care of the Christmas at home. In this case, the Decembrist will decorate your house for the New Year with its beautiful, unusual colors.
Christmas tree (Schlumbergera) belongs to the genus of epiphytic cacti that grow on the branches of trees in the tropical forests of South America. He came to European countries in 1816 with one of the plant collectors, and in 1858 received his real name in honor of the collector of succulents Frederick Schlumberger.
The flower is also known as the Decembrist, Schlumberger, Zigokaktus and Varvarin color. Zigokaktus he was nicknamed for the stems in the form of a rocker, splitting into two.
The plant resembles a low branching shrub with flat stems with teeth along the edge. The structure of a soft shoot is articulate and devoid of thorns. At the base of the old stems have a brown tint. Drooping stems allow you to grow a flower as ampel.
In the period of flowering at the edges of hanging shoots up to 40 cm in length appear multi-tiered flowers 4-8 cm in size. The inflorescence consists of toothed segments and several pointed petals bent at the edges. The color of flowers can be very different: scarlet, red, orange, lilac, white, pink.
Zigokaktus has several features. First, it does not have spines, like the rest of cacti. It blooms in December, on the eve of the new year, when other flowers have a dormant period. For this plant nicknamed Christmas or Decembrist. Buds bloom slowly and persist for a long time, almost to the end of winter.
For flowering Schlumbergera necessarily needs peace in coolness and without watering. In its absence, the Christmas tree may not bloom.
Признание цветоводов заслужили следующие виды рождественника:
- Шлюмбергера усеченная, она же Трунката, с зубчатым краем на прямых побегах, вырастающих до 50 см. The color of dvuyarusnyh flowers with asymmetrical petals in this species is quite diverse: salmon, golden, lavender, crimson, peach. There are flowers with the transition from light orange to pale crimson. Flowering ends with the formation of a pink-red fruit and berries.
Trunkata Bouclay is the oldest species from which the Decembrist originated. Drooping shoots of plants have rounded protrusions. At the extreme members of the bloom lilac-pink flowers from several, symmetrically arranged petals.
As a result of selection, a large number of hybrids have been obtained, which have different sizes and colors of flowers. The following varieties are noteworthy: Madame Butterfly, Madonna, Gold Creme, Exotica, Paula, Aspen.
The Christmas tree has a “twin” very similar to it called Ripsalidopsis, Hatiora or the Easter cactus. The difference between them lies in the different flowering times. Hatiora blooms in spring, that's why it is called that, and the Decembrist in winter.
The second difference in the structure of the flower. The elongated halos of the flower are slightly beveled, while in ripsalidopsis they are arranged symmetrically.
At home, Schlumbergera prefers western and northeast windows. From sunlight the flower should be pritenyat so that there are no burns. The optimal lighting mode is diffused light. With the beginning of budding the flower can not be moved to another place so that it does not throw off the buds.
Rozhdestvennik has a tropical origin and loves spraying to maintain moisture. On hot days of summer, the procedure is carried out 3-4 times a week, and in winter it is enough 1-2 times a month. It is recommended to keep the pot with Decembrist on a pallet with wet clay.
For irrigation, distilled water without chlorine and lime or rainwater is used. Mode of watering choose moderate. The earth should not dry out, but the stagnation of moisture, from which the roots rot, is also undesirable. From March to August, watering and irrigation are carried out continuously, with fertilizer fertilizer for succulents 1-2 times a month.
Young Decembrist bushes should be replanted at intervals of 2-3 years, adults - in 5 years. The plant has a poorly developed measles system, and it does not have the need for a spacious pot.
The prepared container 1/3 filled drainage, and the remainder of the substrate for succulents. With self-preparation of the soil mixed sheet and sod land with sand and peat in equal parts. The earth must absorb moisture and pass air.
Flower transplant is carried out in March. The plant is removed along with the soil from the pot and cleaned the outer ground. Carefully placed in the center of the new pot, 2-3 cm larger in diameter from the former. Then evenly add and gently press down the soil around the stem.
To remove voids pot periodically tapped from different sides. It remains only to pour a flower abundantly.
How to multiply the Christmas tree
The Decembrist can be propagated by cutting, dividing an adult bush and grafting.
Stem cuttings are prepared from 3-5 members. Do it in April-May. They are slightly dried during the day in a warm, dry place and placed in shallow containers with a wet substrate. To create a greenhouse effect, cover with a film, glass jar or top of a plastic bottle. Shelter is periodically removed for airing. Watering is recommended abundant. Appearance of the roots will have to wait about a month. The rooted sprout is transplanted into a small pot. A large amount of wet land is not good for the immature plant.
Experienced flower growers are experimenting with the Schlumberger plant. As the main plant using prickly pear or prickly cross. They cut off the branched tip, and the stem, freed from the leaves, is split at the top.
Graft zigokaktus taken from 2-3 segments. The cut is sharpened and inserted into the crevice. For fixing use a plaster, a needle or an awl. Engraftment should occur in 2 weeks. During this period, the room temperature is maintained at 18-20 ºC. When the leaves go into growth, the strap is removed. The Decembrist implanted in the middle of spring will bloom the same winter.
What are the enemies of the zigokaktus
Rozhdestvennik prone to fungal infections: blight and phthium, as well as fusarium. Fungicides are used to combat the latter, and Maxim, Vitaros, Topaz are used on the others.
Bacterial diseases begin with a dark spot at the base of the shoot. Gradually, the disease spreads to the entire stem, causing it to discolor and a reddish tint. Help the plant will only be able to remove the affected stem. In advanced cases, you need to have time to take a healthy stalk and increment it. The bush itself is doomed to death.
The list of pests that plague the zygocactus includes spider mites and mealybugs, resembling white, cotton balls. For the treatment of plants use "Aktellik", "Fitoverm" or "Aktar".
See also a video on the topic:
All about flower Decembrist
Decembrist's bloom is remembered for a long time, because its flowers have an unforgettable long-tubular multi-tiered form. A bunch of rather long stamens, hanging from the middle of a symmetrical flower, gives it a spectacular and original look. In natural environment, pollination of plants occurs with the help of hummingbirds. Schwumberber in mid-summer, which begins in South America at the same time as winter begins in the Northern Hemisphere, flourishes. That is what caused the plant to be called Decembrist. Red and white flowers appear at the very tips of the stems. Over time, different varieties of plants were bred, which can be either pink, yellow and white, or purple or crimson.
Quite an unusual root system in the wild used to adapt to the difficult Brazilian forests. The fact is that in the tropics the necessary soil layer is practically absent, therefore the roots of the Decembrist are weak, which can die very quickly. But at this moment the so-called search roots come to the aid of the plant, and they are capable of developing into full-fledged roots in the shortest time possible. In addition, they can transform into aerial roots (like some varieties of ficus benjamin), the bush needs to get enough oxygen and enough moisture.
Varvarin color is different from other cacti in that it grows very quickly. This is due to the fact that in a natural environment, having fallen into a situation that suits him most, the plant wants to take as much space as possible, which will allow it to avoid meeting with any competitors. Also, this flower gives abundant unforgettable flowering, multiplies without much difficulty and can take root as quickly as possible, which allows it to keep out other plants.
Distinctive properties of the Decembrist
The most significant advantage, as well as the distinguishing feature of the Decembrist from other plants, is its flowering at a time when other plants prefer to hibernate. But besides this difference, there are others, among which it is worth noting:
- Christmas man feels bad on the window sills, located on the south side of the building. Strongly scorching sunlight, and rich lighting can lead to the death of the final segments of the flower stem.
- With the onset of summer, the plant needs air, so it should be placed on any shaded area, which may be a balcony, terrace or loggia.
- Also in summer, the bush should be periodically thoroughly sprayed with water.
- If you take good care of a Decembrist, then he will delight you every winter for 15-20 years. But it should be borne in mind that over time, the shoots become less decorative and can woody.
- At the moment of budding, the flower is very delicate and prefers not to be disturbed during this period. Therefore, as soon as they noticed that the first buds began to appear on it, it is not worth changing its position or moving it from one place to another.
- It is allowed to grow as a normal plant, and ampelous.
The branches of this plant gently descend and can reach a level of 80 cm. The dark green flat segments resembling leaves are distinguished by their jagged edges and well-marked veins. The flowers are rather large, have a tubular shape with petals arranged in several tiers. From the middle of the flower hangs a small bunch of long pistils.
The height of this species reaches 50 cm. It differs from other varieties by its dark green shining segments with pointed edges.
The length of the tubular multi-tiered flowers, characterized by slightly sharp petals, can pass for 7 cm.
There are white, yellow and purple shades of flowers, which vary depending on the selected variety. Flowering begins in November and can last until March.
A very tall plant with large light green shoots, at the end of which flowers are born. They can be either red, purple, white, or yellow or another shade. As soon as flowering ends at the place where flowers once grew, small red fruits appear.
Since the plant blooms very long and blooms at a time when the rest of the indoor flowers are resting, the Christmas tree has become quite popular among those who like to decorate their houses and apartments with flowers.
Proper care of the Decembrist at home
Varvarin color prefers to grow in places where good lighting prevails, but at the same time there is no strongly scorching sun. Temperature drops are bad for a flower, because in its homeland, in the tropics, a humid warm climate. If you manage to create for your pet living conditions as close to natural as possible, for a long time, the Decembrist will delight you with his beautiful and healthy look.
Care during flowering
With the onset of warm days, Schlumbergera should be placed in partial shade. Eastern and northern window sills will be the most suitable for it. If the plant is flowering, then the south side will help to prolong its flowering. But remember the sun rays that are harmful to the Decembrist, so cover the window with a loose curtain. When your ward will stand in one place for a long period of time, he may lose his decorative effect, as he becomes asymmetrical. In order to avoid this, be sure to periodically turn the bush, which will provide the same lighting for all its sides. But do not forget that moving a plant is allowed only at the moment when its shoots grow. If you carry out this procedure at the moment when the Decembrist released the buds or began to bloom, then he can fold them.
In order for Varvarin color to grow healthy and at the same time producing beautiful flowers, it must be grown indoors, the temperature of which will vary from 18 to 25 degrees. During the growing season the maximum mark of the positive temperature should not jump 20 degrees. Before flowering, the Decembrist must accumulate a sufficient amount of force, and for this the optimum temperature in the room should be at least 12 degrees, but not exceed 16.
Conclusion: The room should be cool enough.
How to water and fertilize the Christmas tree at home
It is necessary to care for it also as well as for various indoor leafy plants. In time to water and apply the necessary fertilizers.
For irrigation, only separated water at room temperature is used. Dry air that can prevail in the apartment should be compensated by spraying the plant or by adding a wet drainage system, peat or moss to the pot.
As soon as spring arrives, the flower must be fed using complex fertilizers. But the dosage of such feed should be halved than indicated in his instructions. In the summer, the procedure is carried out several times a month. With the onset of autumn, fertilizing the flower is not recommended.
How to transplant zigokaktus
If you decide to transplant the plant, then it is worth doing only after it stops blooming. Adult flowers must be replanted once every 5 years, while young plants need annual transplantation. Since the Decembrist's roots are superficial, when choosing a tank in which it will be transplanted, it is worthwhile to stop at a low wide pot. The third part of the pot is filled with drainage. You can plant a plant in the purchase of weakly acidic soil intended for cacti.
If you want to create your own soil, then for this you need:
- 2 parts peat.
- 1 part fertile soil.
- 1 part of coarse sand.
- To avoid any infection in the soil, add a small amount of crushed coal to it.
- In order for the created soil to pass moisture well, it is necessary to add a few brick fragments or vermiculite.
How to trim
A significant role in the cultivation of the plant is played by its correct and timely pruning, which allows the bush to become a beautiful and in the future flowering plant. The procedure is carried out in June. At this time, it is necessary to remove all stems that grow in the wrong direction and violate the overall decorativeness of the bush. You should not use scissors or other sharp objects for this, as the segments are easily unscrewed by hand. This procedure will allow you to independently form the desired form of the Decembrist.
How to propagate zigokaktus
Reproduction Decembrist produced in two ways, using cuttings and vegetatively.
How to grow a Decembrist from a leaflet? Several extreme segments need to be unscrewed, after which they are left to dry for two days.
Next, you should plant them in a moist soil and to create a greenhouse effect you need to cover the leaves with a can or a plastic bottle. Put the pot in the shade, not forgetting to constantly remove the jar to air such an unusual greenhouse.
So that the cuttings can take root, they will approach the temperature from 15 to 20 degrees.
As a rule, this procedure is carried out immediately after trimming the plant, because at the time of creating the desired shape you will have cuttings for planting.
What problems can you face while growing up a Decembrist
If you follow all the rules, the zygocactus will not only look like a healthy plant, but will also delight you with its abundant flowering. But there are pests and diseases that can attack your plant. To avoid his death is to find out what can harm the Decembrist.
- If you notice white lumps between the stems, this is an indication that a mealybug has attacked the bush. It is not easy to save a plant from this pest, and for this you need to treat the plant as quickly as possible with preparations that you can buy at any specialized store.
- A spider mite can also cause disease in your plant. It is possible to detect the appearance of a pest by a rusty bloom and an almost imperceptible web on the leaves. Red, yellow or brown insects are almost invisible, so it will be difficult to notice them. The cause is a lack of humidity in the room. To cope with such mites you will help infusions of garlic and onions, as well as washing the leaves with tar soap. In the event that folk remedies did not help, then you will need drugs such as Nero, Fitoverm or Actellic.
- Fungal diseases that can strike a plant are fitoftors, fitum and fusiosis. They affect the root neck, which leads to the fact that the plant loses its brightness and saturation, the foliage becomes gray, the flower fades, even despite regular watering and compliance with all necessary conditions. The fungicides used are Topaz, Maxim and Vitaros. It is also necessary to ensure that there is no stagnant water in the soil.
How to care for the Decembrist to bloom
In November, the plant must be returned to a warm well-lit place. Do not forget to increase the watering that will allow the Decembrist to wake up from a long rest. In order to provide the plant with uniform illumination it is necessary to rotate it regularly. If you notice that the buds on the bush are born only on one side, this means that the second is not enough light. At this point, it is not necessary to rearrange and turn the Decembrist, as it is impossible to carry out such a procedure during flowering and budding. The fact is that it can lead to dropping all the buds. The plant itself knows at what time it should dissolve the flowers. Все что от вас требуется в этот период, это своевременный полив и уход за ним.
Если вы хотите продлить цветение Варвариного цвета, то попробуйте вокруг ствола положить немного снега или же льда из холодильника, что позволит растению цвести немного дольше.
Почему декабрист не цветет, что делать
Самой распространенной причиной, почему он отказывается выпускать бутоны, является неправильный уход.
So, flowering can not occur due to such factors:
- Lack of moisture in the soil.
- Bad lighting.
- The pot in which the Decembrist grows has become small and it is urgently necessary to transplant it.
- There are no nutrients in the soil or too little of them.
For abundant flowering zigokaktus requires proper preparation. In autumn, provide him peace by placing the plant in a cool room. During the rest you should not fertilize the plant, and reduce its watering to a minimum.
In order to enjoy flowering at the end of November, the plant should be transferred to a well-lit window sill and regularly
water it. This will allow the plant to wake up from rest and begin to form buds.
If you want the plant to bloom for a long time and abundantly, then it should be well followed, observing all the necessary rules:
- In winter, illuminate the plant with artificial light.
- At the moment when the Decembrist began to bloom, it is not worth twisting in different directions and rearranging to another place.
- Also at this time it is forbidden to prune the plant.
- In no case should you expose the zigocactus to a temperature drop.
- When a cool temperature is maintained in the room, the plant will delight you with its flowering much longer.
- If the capacity is narrow shape, then the Decembrist will delight you with lush flowering.
- Also, to improve flowering should keep the bush in a room with a temperature not exceeding 16 degrees.
- As soon as the dormant period is over, fertilizer should be carefully introduced and a slight increase in watering of the plant. But do not overdo it, as this will reset all the buds.
In the event that you have been given or you have already purchased the plant with flowers, you should not worry if all the flowers fall off when you put it in the right place. The fact is that Schlumberger requires time to adapt to a new place.
Why does the Decembrist flower fade
As previously mentioned, the cause of wilting of a flower can be such diseases as a phthium and late blight.
Also, leaf disease can cause root disease.
In the event that the shoot has become sluggish, then most likely the reason is hiding in the supercooling of the roots, which may occur due to the use of cold water for irrigation or too low temperature in the room.
Scorching sunshine can also cause sluggishness of the plant stem.
In addition, if you fertilize the wrong fertilizer or used too concentrated feed, then this can also cause the death of the roots. In order to save the bush, as soon as possible, transfer it to another soil, which will allow you to avoid further death of the Decembrist.
Why does the plant shed its leaves
The reasons that can lead to the fall of the leaves, as a rule, are some unfavorable factors:
- In the event that the plant is struck by any pests, it can throw off the foliage. To save the flower, treat it with the appropriate preparations.
- If, after examining the Decembrist, you didn’t reveal any diseases, then perhaps the reason for getting rid of the leaves is the lack of useful substances. To save Varvarin color it is necessary to fertilize it, using for this purpose fertilizing for epiphytic cacti.
- If the plant began to fall leaves, located at the ends of the stems, then the reasons may be hiding in drafts, a sharp change in temperature, too dry air, or holding a late plant transplant.
In order for the flower of the Decembrist or Christmas tree to please you in the winter with abundant and long flowering, follow some simple rules for care and cultivation. And he will immediately respond to your efforts with a blooming view of numerous inflorescences.
General description of the species
Schlumberger (in Latin Schlumbergera) refers to the genus epiphytic cacti, which common in the southeastern rainforest of Brazil. The plant was brought to Europe by the collector A. Cunningham around 1817. Currently, many of the representatives of this genus are popular indoor flowers. Breeders are constantly working on the creation of new varieties of Schlumberger.
Representatives of the genus are small, heavily branched shrubs. Green shoots segmented, flat with notches on the edges, spines absent. Flowers asymmetrical with a pronounced tube, located at the end of the stem.
There are flowers of red, orange, white, purple and pink color. The most commonly grown at home are the following varieties: Schlumberger Buckley, Zigokaktus truncated, Schlumberger Rousselian.
Plant care rules
Caring for a Christmas eve at home is not too difficult. It is enough to know some of the nuances which are as follows.
- Temperature mode. The Decembrist carries well both heat and cool, but the optimum temperature is 20–27 degrees Celsius. In the winter months, the pot with the plant should be moved away from too hot radiators, and in the summer, carried out on the balcony, terrace, loggia.
- Lighting. Christmas tree does not like the direct rays of the sun. It is best to place it on the east or west window sill to avoid burns. If the plant is located on the south side, it is desirable to cover the window with light curtains.
- Watering. The flower needs regular but moderate watering at room temperature. Watering is carried out after the top layer of soil dries a few centimeters. Excess moisture leads to decay and death of the plant. Well Christmas card responds to spraying and bathing in a warm shower. In the hot summer, sprayed twice a week, and in the fall once a month is enough.
- Top dressing. Feed the plant every thirty days, and during growth (from early March to August) - twice during the same period. It is recommended to use special fertilizers for cacti.
- The soil. As a soil for growing the Decembrist, you can use ready-made soil for cacti, and you can cook it yourself by mixing garden soil, turf, peat and clean sand in equal quantities.
- Transfer. A young Christmas tree is growing fairly quickly, so it should be replanted once every two or three years. First, you need to prepare a larger pot, put clay, small gravel or broken bricks on the bottom, then fill the ground three to five centimeters. Carefully remove the plant from the old container and transplant it into the center of the new one along with a clod of earth on the roots. Sprinkle the flower with the prepared soil, lightly tamp it with all sides and pour it with warm water. After that, the pot can be put on a permanent place. The next time you need to water the cactus only after the soil dries out about two centimeters deep.
- Crop. Over time, the stems of the plant begin to branch out strongly, so the extra links are cut off with sharp scissors. Old overgrown shoots are also removed. Trimming will form a flat crown.