Room geranium is a favorite flower of many flower growers. It conquers with lush inflorescences, bouquets and a bitter aroma emanating from the green. To bush looked well-groomed and regularly bloomed, it is necessary to provide easy care and fertilize. From this article, you will learn in detail how to feed the geranium so that it blooms better and does not hurt.
If geranium does not bloom, it's not just feeding
Namely, the right care is important. Make sure you do everything right:
- The key to successful flowering is primarily the fertility of the soil in which geranium is grown. Be sure to lay a drainage layer on the bottom of the planting pot. Under these conditions, the growth of the green part will be moderate, and the number of colors is maximum.
- Place the pot with the plant in a place well-lit by sunlight, not even direct sunlight. Protect from the sun only on particularly hot days.
- For a flower, drought is more favorable than waterlogging. Water about a couple of times a week, but with plenty of water. Excess moisture causes mold damage.
- Spray the plant is not necessary. It is important to ensure the flow of fresh air. Ventilate the room regularly, transfer it to an open balcony for a warm season, and better transplant it into open ground.
- To ensure access of oxygen to the root system, loosen the soil in the pot a couple of times a month. This will protect against root rot and the appearance of pests.
- There are no special requirements for the temperature regime. During the winter it is recommended to maintain the air temperature at 15 ° C.
- Replace with a periodicity of 2-3 years, during which time the root system will expand greatly. Replace the substrate with a fresh one and take a more spacious flower pot.
- In spring, pelargonium wakes up from its winter dormancy and needs pruning. Carry it only in the spring, otherwise it will negatively appear on the flowering. Proper pruning includes: removing dry and yellow leaves, inspect the shoots, each one should have no more than 5 buds, remove new shoots.
- Geraniums are fed in spring and summer. Use mineral and organic fertilizers, it is absolutely impossible to bring fresh organic. Share nitrogen to the minimum, the most favorable phosphate fertilizers, which are made with irrigation. Geranium is very well affected by fertilizing with iodine.
Subject to these instructions, geranium will actively bloom throughout the growing season.
When and how often feed geraniums
How to feed the geranium to bloom more abundantly
The frequency of fertilization depends on the season. During the period autumn winter fertilizing do not hold or apply half the dose of fertilizer. Since the beginning of spring should be fed every 2 weeks. It is especially important to maintain the strength of the plant during flowering.
It is necessary and compliance with the dosage when making nutrients. So, from excess fertilizer leaves and ovary turn yellow.
Spring dressing: after pruning should be fertilized with nitrogen fertilizers, this will help the flower to recover quickly. Feed every two weeks with complex mineral fertilizers or organic matter, you can use top-dressings prepared according to popular recipes. Also do not forget about watering with some water with iodine.
Throughout the summer pelargonium blooms magnificently and needs regular feeding. The frequency of making dressings - in 12-14 days.
In the fall, many varieties become dormant, so in September they stop feeding. For the rest, reduce the frequency of fertilizing to 1 time 1-1.5 months.
In winter the plant does not need additional feeding, geraniums need rest - it is at rest. Only in the middle of winter you can feed half the dose of the complex mineral fertilizer, but only if you have very warm heat in the apartment, you do not need to feed with cold content.
Geranium has pale leaves than to feed
It happens that geranium leaves become pale, sometimes even almost white in the middle. Use the Agricol room fertilizer: it contains all the necessary geranium trace elements. For 1 liter of water will need 2-2.5 g of fertilizer.
The same drug can be used during the laying of buds, as well as during flowering. The frequency of fertilizing during flowering - 1 time per week. In the period of rest, in the winter, Agricola is doing no more than 1 time in 1.5 months.
How to feed geranium folk remedies to bloom profusely
For successful flowering it is necessary to maintain the balance of the main nutrients: nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium. As mentioned earlier, the dose of nitrogen is minimal, it should be made in the spring to enhance growth. Also periodically irrigate water with iodine.
It is important that the soil contains the following components: zinc, magnesium, copper, manganese, iron, phosphorus, boron. According to the advice of experienced flower growers, calcium is needed.
You can feed complex mineral fertilizers, but there are some simple ways to prepare fertilizers yourself. In the first case, you have to spend money on the purchase of fertilizers, but you do not need to bother with cooking. The second option is a budget one, fertilizers are prepared literally from improvised means. Consider a few recipes.
How to feed geranium iodine for abundant flowering
A very simple, but effective method to make geranium bloom profusely is to feed iodine. Easier just not to think:
- For 1 l of water you need 2 drops of iodine.
- First you need to pour ordinary water on it, and then pour a little iodine solution (about a quarter of a glass) along the edge of the pot.
- Feed once every two weeks.
As soon as the geranium has faded and ceased to throw flower stalks, feel free to start feeding with iodine. This dressing can be applied even in winter.
Learn more about how to feed geranium iodine, look at the video:
How to feed geranium yeast
Yeast fertilizer is an excellent growth stimulant. When injected into the soil, yeasts contribute to the production of nitrogen and potassium. It is especially good after transplanting and cutting geraniums: fertilizer is absolutely safe, it does not burn damaged roots and stems.
Here's how to feed geranium with yeast:
- For 1 liter of warm water, you will need 20 grams of dry yeast (1 bag), let the mixture stand for 2-3 hours in a warm place and dilute with another 5 liters of water.
- It will be necessary to water a flower with such dressing 2-3 times with a frequency of 7-10 days.
You can feed geranium with yeast and sugar:
- For 1 liter of warm water, take 10 grams of dry yeast (half a bag) and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Allow the mixture to ferment for 2 hours, add another 5 liters of water and feed the flowers.
You understand that you need to prepare fresh yeast dressing each time, you cannot store it.
Feeding with glucose
Growth is facilitated by feeding glucose. Dissolve in 1 liter of water 1 tablet of glucose, pour flowers. Note that glucose solution is not suitable for all plants, for example, royal geranium does not tolerate it. If you notice wilting and yellowing of leaves, such feeding should be stopped.
How to feed the geraniums for lush flowering
Geranium is very favorable fertilizing solution of castor oil, which stimulates the release of peduncles, active flowering and plant growth. To prepare a top dressing, in 1 liter of water we dissolve 1 teaspoon of castor oil. You can make by irrigation under the root or spray the solution on the leaves.
How to feed the geranium during flowering
How can you feed geranium at home recipes fertilizing
The easiest way to feed fertilizer formulations intended for flowering plants. Flower shops have a wide range of such goods. Such food for geranium acts very beneficially, but you can prepare the feeding yourself.
First of all, in order for geranium to bloom well, use rainwater for watering (it contains more nutrients than normal), do not forget iodine solution.
For the warm season, it is favorable to transplant geraniums into open ground or to grow in large flowerpot, placing them on a balcony or veranda. In this case, every 3 weeks you can feed humus or compost. After such feeding, the stems become strong, colors more, and their shade - brighter.
You can also feed various vitaminswho purchase at the pharmacy. In terms of financial costs such food is more profitable than fertilizing with purchased fertilizers for flowers. Each time you change the vitamin complex and add it once every two weeks.
Lush blooming geranium contributes magnesium sulphate. The crystals should be dissolved in water and irrigated.
At the stage of budding or at the beginning of flowering, feed them with calcium: sprinkle a little chalk or crushed eggshell into the pot.
How to feed a geranium, if the leaves turn yellow
Yellowing of geranium leaves occurs for a number of reasons:
- The root system has expanded and the pot has become cramped for a flower. In this case, transfer to a more spacious container with the replacement of the substrate with a new one and the problem will disappear.
- Geranium leaves turn yellow due to inadequate care: from overwetting the soil, very high air temperature in the autumn-winter period, drafts.
- If there is no drainage in the pot, the leaves turn yellow or discolor.
- One of the most common causes of yellowing of leaves is excess nitrogen in the soil. Top-dressing with potassium-phosphorus composition will help to neutralize the problem.
How to feed the geranium during transplanting
Geranium does not like transplants. With proper nutrition, it is necessary to replant only when the flower grows large. Be sure to lay a drainage layer at the bottom of the tank. There are no special requirements for the substrate, but it must be loose, fertile, rich in nutrients. Most often used universal substrate for flowering crops. To it can be added perlite, peat, top nutrient layer of garden soil, sand and humus.
It is not necessary to feed up for 2-3 months after transplantation, since an excess of nutrients will negatively affect the rooting and further development of the plant.
So, in order to achieve a long lush blooming geranium, should be periodically fed. In most cases, the nutrient solution is applied under the root, some are sprayed on the sheet. You can feed them with ready-made complex mineral fertilizers or prepare top dressings yourself - the latter is not difficult and low-cost. Also during flowering, water with iodine. Should pay a little attention and the plant will please a cheerful appearance and elegant flowering.
Why is it important to fertilize the plant on time
Flowers that live in an apartment need additional nourishment much more than those that live in a natural environment. They can not get fertilizing from the external environment, and the soil becomes "poor" after 2-3 months of use.
Each flowering is a great work for any plant, during this period it needs much more nutrients, so it is important to create all the conditions for the abundant flowering of geranium.
Like the rest of the indoor color, geraniums are needed fertilizing.
What fertilizers are suitable for geraniums?
The choice of fertilizer for geranium should be made with the understanding that this plant does not tolerate organic matter in its pure form. The best option for feeding are mineral supplements.
The easiest way to find a suitable fertilizer is to contact a flower shop. But in some outlets they offer a universal dressing that is meant for all flowering plants. Therefore, you should independently study the composition of the fertilizer.
It must contain the following components:
Ready fertilizer from the store
Since today in the store you can buy almost any fertilizer for any plant, you will not be difficult to find fertilizer for geranium. If you carry out fertilizer flower in the spring, it is better to stay on the tools with a high nitrogen content. These drugs help the plant to increase the green mass of leaves, for example, after pruning.
For fertilizer geranium, you can use ready-made feed.
Despite the abundance of ready-made fertilizing, which are sold in the store, growers prefer to fertilize geranium folk remedies.
There are several proven methods that help the plant not only grow safely, but also bloom for a long time:
- Milk formula. In a liter of water to dissolve 100 ml of milk. The resulting solution of geranium is watered several times a month, alternating with regular watering.
- Ash or ash solution. Ash in a dry form is mixed with the ground or diluted with water. This dressing allows geraniums to replenish their potassium reserves.
- Iodine. A solution of iodine favorably affects not only the growth of geraniums, but also the flowering. It is easy to prepare a universal stimulant - you need to dissolve 2 drops of iodine in 1 liter of water.
Important. Watering geranium iodine infusion need every 3 weeks. If that procedure is carried out more often, the plant can get burned and die.
If you wish, you can spend a whole course of fertilizers for geraniums at home. To do this, you need ordinary vitamins that are sold in each pharmacy. In this case, we are talking about vitamins belonging to group B - B12, B6, B1.
Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) can be used to feed the geranium.
Having bought ampoules with ready “fertilizer”, you need to choose any of the vitamins and dissolve 1 ampoule, for example, B1, in 2 liters of water. The resulting solution pour moistened soil in a pot of geraniums. After 2.5 weeks you need to take another vitamin - B6, also dilute with water and shed geranium.
After the same period of time, repeat all the procedures with vitamin B12. Such alternation is allowed to do throughout the spring and summer, which will help the plant not only to pick up buds and blossom, but also strengthen its immunity.
This method is very old, already forgotten by many. But the beauty of vitamin fertilizer is low cost, simplicity and ease of use.
The best means for flowering
Although geranium can be fed with different types of fertilizers listed above, the use of iodine is the ideal and most effective method. Therefore it is worthwhile to elaborate on this point.
To prepare the solution, it is important to take separated water, and preferably rainwater. It is softer and does not contain trace elements that can react with an alcoholic solution of iodine.
In one liter of water dilute 2 drops of iodine, thoroughly shake and shed the ground. It is best to water the soil around the edges of the pot, as watering under the root can cause a burn of the trunk and root system. The stimulating solution allows geraniums to make buds after 3 treatments.
How often to feed the geranium
When applying fertilizers, it is necessary to take into account not only their composition, but also the season. In the spring and summer feeding can be done once every 2 weeks. In the fall, when the growth process slows down, fertilizing is applied twice as rarely. In winter, it is best to stop fertilizing, as the flower goes to the resting stage.
When choosing a fertilizer, consider the season and condition of the plant.
How to feed a geranium if it turns yellow
Many novice gardeners believe that the presence of yellow leaves in geranium indicates a lack of micronutrients. In fact, it is not.
Geranium leaves can begin to turn yellow for two reasons:
- Lack of moisture. In this case, the leaves begin to turn yellow around the edges.
- Abundant watering. The main symptom is the yellowing of the whole leaf and its rotting.
The solution to the problem is to normalize watering. After the unfavorable factor is eliminated, nitrogenous fertilizer can be applied so that the flower regains its strength and releases new leaves.
Tips and Tricks Florists
Geranium is quite unpretentious.
But in order for it to bloom, you need to know some tricks:
Before you make dressing, the plant should be watered.
In winter, fertilizers are usually stopped. But the best way is to feed the flower, adding half the usual dose of fertilizers once during the winter.
Separately, it should be said that geranium is not recommended to be fertilized in extreme heat and with dry soil.
Room Pelargonium is divided into two main types:
- Bush, these plants are not tall, rather lush, among which the most popular among fans of these flowers are zonal, bordering on the edge of the flower, и крупноцветковую имеющую название, королевская.
- Pelargonium is ampelous, ivy-like flower, has long shoots and resembles a vine.
- The geranium is quadrangular, it blooms in spring and summer, however, it depends on the timing of planting, it can grow more than half a meter. Flowers beautiful cream and pale pink, resemble in appearance like a butterfly.
- Curly geranium, the best variety for planting at home, lush bush with lots of processes of leaves, bright flowers from pink to purple, bloom occurs in early July.
- The royal edge, subject to all rules for the care of a plant, can bloom almost all year round. The inflorescences are quite large, there are also terry varieties, the color range is varied, it is white, purple. red, purple colors, but they do not emit a strong smell.
- There are varieties of non-flowering geraniums, but they compensate for this. with its rich aroma apples. mint, lemon.
Many of the bush species of geraniums have large inflorescences and a pleasant aroma, due to which they are valued by growers.
Geranium, this plant does not require careful maintenance, like exotic plants, however, some rules must be observed when it is grown.
how all heat-loving plantsGeranium loves the sun, so it needs more light and heat for good growth and lush and abundant flowering.
Direct sunlight within a few hours, it is well tolerated and should be taken into account when planting in room conditions.
For planting geranium you need to take a pot of a small container with prepared soil.
The soil for planting should be fertile, containing all the nutrients.
- At the bottom of the tank there is a drainage, which can be expanded clay, gravel, sand.
- Then the prepared soil is laid, this is the usual black soil, which can be purchased at a garden store.
- A mixture of sand, peat with the addition of garden soil can be used.
But despite good drainage and loose soil, for good growth and abundant flowering, the soil needs constant loosening.
As a rule, geranium likes abundant watering, but it should be carried out during flowering and growth of the plant. Watering is rare, but also abundant, it does not tolerate stagnant water in the pot, it can adversely affect the plant.
Excessive watering can cause gray mold. on leaves, aphid, putrid odor, in this case, stop watering until the soil is completely dry or transplant in a new vase with a fresh substrate so that it does not die, but this is in a pinch, as geranium does not like frequent transplants.
In the winter season, that is, at rest, it is enough just to keep the soil moist.
In spring and summer, the most optimal temperature for geranium growth is considered to be 20-25 degrees, while respecting the optimum humidity. It is recommended to air the rooms regularly, but to protect the plants from drafts. Spray them should not be, as the ingress of water on the leaves leads to their yellowing.
In winter, the plant needs to organize a cool, but very bright place, with a temperature not higher than 15 degrees, but in the absence of such conditions, create additional lighting.
In order for the plant to grow well and bloom abundantly, you need to know how to feed the geranium for abundant flowering. Houseplants react particularly well to the application of mineral fertilizers to the soil, and therefore need to be fed more than garden plants. Organic for them is contraindicated.
Feeding the geranium is an important incentive for its long and abundant flowering, and for this there are special preparations and means.
To increase the flowering time, it is necessary to add fertilizer to the soil, as feeding for geranium is of great importance during flowering.
- Potash phosphate fertilizers are necessary for abundant geranium flowering, they are used at least twice a month, previously diluted in water.
- Plant stimulants are used, it is a glucose solution and heteroauxin, applied weekly.
- Pretty successful applied folk remedy, such as iodine, it is enough to just one drop per liter of separated water, which will allow the plants to bloom magnificently and abundantly long period of time.
- In addition to these dressings, the plant also needs complex fertilizers for geranium, you can also use universal dressings.
- As folk remedies, group B vitamins, yeast top dressing, sleeping tea brewing, iodine dressing are also used, but to use these funds or not is the decision of each grower.
Proper use of fertilizers
Before you begin to fertilize the plant, you must follow some rules to achieve lush and abundant flowering geraniums.
- If the plant is almost the entire day of light under direct sunlight, then it must be rearranged to a darker place to cool it a bit.
- Before fertilization, the soil must be moistened, it will prevent the burning of the root system.
- Fertilizer must be applied very carefully around the edges of the pot walls so that it does not fall on the plant itself, then carefully loosen the soil, for better air access to the root system.
- Fertilizers are applied only once a week, not more often, and only in the summer period during the growth and flowering of geraniums.
- It is not recommended to make dressing, if the leaves of the flower are sluggish or dry, this may be due to excessive watering or lack of it.
- If a flower transplant is being prepared, then watering with fertilizers should be stopped two weeks before this action.
- For young shoots, the level of fertilizer concentration should be halved.
In order for geranium to bloom profusely and luxuriantly, it is necessary to comply with all requirements, proper watering, timely feeding, especially good feeding with iodine. It is also necessary to periodically remove faded plants, dry leaves, and as the popular belief says, it should not be moved from place to place during flowering.
Transplantation depends on the intensity of the root system, if the roots become visible in the drain holes, then it should be transplanted. In general, young plants are transplanted once a year, as they grow older, this is done less often, and best of all in the spring. Although it is of little importance for geranium, the main thing is to observe the frequency of this cycle.
Diseases and pests
The main pests of room geraniums are spider mites and whitefly. You can remove them with soapy water, if they are small, or with insecticides. With a strong moistening of the soil, a fungal disease can develop, the black leg, is one of the dangerous diseases that can lead to the death of a flower. All the right arrangements for the care of indoor plants will allow any grower to have a practically year-round flowering plant in the house.
Geranium is a fairly common indoor flower in Russia. It is easy to take care of this plant and multiply it (it is possible to learn more about how to care for geranium in a pot). The varieties and types of geraniums exist in countless quantities.
Many lovers create a whole bright and fragrant collection and conservatory of geraniums at home or in the garden.
Geranium is a perennial plant. The height of its stems is about 50 cm. The color of the leaves is usually saturated green or dark green. . Geranium flowers are very bright, depending on the type of large or not very, can be collected in inflorescences.
The better to water?
The mode of watering geraniums depends on the time of year.
During the summer heat it is necessary to water the plant abundantly so that it comfortably survived the period of high temperatures. It is optimal 1-3 times a week as the soil dries.
But, it is not necessary to overdo it and out of big care overly pour a bush, it can rot root rot and the plant will die. Watch out for plant behavior.
If you notice that the leaves have wilted and some rot appeared on them or, for example, gray mold, the stem turns black, then it means that watering should be urgently reduced. Many flower growers rightfully consider geranium to be arid plants, because it comes from South Africa.
At the same time it is important that the worse the plant is watered, the less it will delight and bloom badly. Therefore, you just need to follow the earthy lump, and water the plant as it dries. In the summer, the land can dry out every day, or maybe every other day.
With the onset of cold weather, geranium, like other plants, falls into hibernation. Therefore, compared with the summer period, watering should be halved, namely, 1 time in 10 days.
If the soil moisture in winter geranium is above moderate, then it will inevitably lead to the death of the plant.
Watch a video about the rules for watering geraniums:
More details on how to care for home geraniums in order to preserve it in winter can be found in this material.
How to fertilize the plant, as well as folk and store tools for this
The easiest way is to go to a flower shop, where a specialist will advise you in detail and give recommendations on the choice of high-quality fertilizer, designed specifically for geranium with all its features. Most likely, your choice will stop on a nutrient solution for flowering houseplants.
To find the perfect dressing for geranium, you need to focus on the composition of such trace elements as:
Read more about how to feed and when to use fertilizers, you can find here.
Fertilizer application rules
Based on many years of experience, professional growers have identified a few simple rules for fertilizing a geranium pot and watering it to make it flourish:
- If the pot of geraniums is in place sunlit, you should wait a little with fertilizer. The first step is to take the pot in the shade and give the plant a couple of hours to recover.
To bloom profusely at home
An excellent top dressing at home can serve as a woody hall. To prepare an aqueous solution for feeding, 1 tablespoon of ash is diluted in 1 liter and poured over the soil in a pot. The water for the solution should be warm, not lower than 20 ° C, so that the particles are maximally dissolved and give the maximum useful and nutrients to the plant.
Iodine, which can be found in every home medicine chest, is also useful as a fertilizer for the abundant flowering of room geraniums. It accelerates the formation of inflorescences and increases the number and volume of buds. The solution is prepared quite simply: take 5 liters of warm water and add 1 drop of an alcoholic solution of iodine.
One bush will be enough 50 ml of such dressing. In order to avoid burns of the trunk and geranium roots, water the soil should be along the walls of the pot.
You can learn more about feeding with iodine here.
Quite common but An effective method is to feed a group B plant: B1, B6, B12. Convenient to buy them in glass ampoules. The solution enriched with vitamins is prepared as follows: in 2 liters of warm water dissolve 1 ampoule of one of the vitamins, mix thoroughly and shed the ground around the flower.
After 2.5-3 weeks after the first feeding make the second, but using another vitamin. Then, after the same period of time, pour the composition with a third type of vitamin.
Magnesium sulphate also has a positive effect during flowering. Magnesium sulphate is not used in pure form, but as a solution: 15 grams of the substance is dissolved per 5 liters of water.
The temperature of the water should be at least 20 ° C, which allows the crystals to dissolve as a whole, and the fertilizer is better absorbed.
Rules for watering at home or on the street
Watering mode depends on the time of year. In summer, when the heat reigns outside, it requires abundant watering. The plant must survive high temperature in comfortable conditions for itself. The best way to add a liquid is 2-3 times in 7 days, as the soil dries. In this case, you should not overdo it, the bay bush, there is a high probability that the roots will start to rot.
Geranium is considered a dry flower, because it comes from South Africa. But, the less moisture in the soil, the less will be flowering in duration and pomp. It is necessary to carefully observe the earthy clod and water it in time, especially in summer, when the air temperature is high.
In winter, there comes the so-called rest period, so the procedure is reduced by 2 times. It is enough once in 10 days to do watering. In order to prevent the death of the pet, the soil moisture is maintained moderate.
What is a top dressing and why is it needed?
Nutrient enrichment is an essential part of care.. Geranium, which grows at home, especially in need of feeding, because it has nowhere to take additional nutrients.
Flowers in open ground is much easier. They can take vitamins and minerals from natural sources.
Achieve abundant flowering without fertilizer will not work, precisely for this and need feeding.
In order for the plant to bloom magnificently
Easiest and A common way is to go to a special flower shop and buy ready-made fertilizers.. The advantage of this method is that you can contact a consultant who will advise the best option suitable for geranium. Most often, the choice stops on nutrient solutions intended for indoor flowering plants.
Let us consider in more detail than to water the geranium from liquid dressings so that it blooms magnificently. Selecting fertilizers for flowering, you need to pay attention to the composition, but rather to the trace elements: potassium, copper, nitrogen, zinc, calcium, iron, boron, phosphorus.
Self-made folk remedies:
- Dairy top dressing. It is necessary to dissolve 100 milliliters of milk in 1 liter of water. Used alternating with regular irrigation (1 times milky and 3 times with water).
- Among flower growers, yeast solution has proven itself well. It is easy to prepare and can replace the drug aimed at the development of roots. Mix 1 liter of water and 100 grams of raw materials.
- Zircon "," Royal Mix "," A clean sheet for pelargonium "- additives, sold in dry form, which are necessary for the preparation of an aqueous mixture. Make it quite easy, on the package written instructions for use and dosage. The advantage of these drugs - long shelf life.
- "Garden Club" belongs to the class of liquid dressings and is a solution of vitamins and salts. The advantage over dry is that when diluted with water, it dissolves completely.
Wood ash - a great option feeding at home. Prepare an aqueous solution as follows:
- A tablespoon of ash is diluted in a liter of water.
- The liquid must be warm, at least 20 degrees. At this temperature, all the particles quickly dissolve and give the maximum nutrients.
- The mixture is poured over the soil.
Iodine is a good fertilizer that helps an indoor plant to bloom more abundantly.. It will accelerate the formation of inflorescences, as well as increase the number and volume of buds.
It is very simple to prepare a mixture: 1 drop of an alcoholic solution of iodine is added to 5 liters of water. 50 milliliters on 1 bush of a geranium will suffice. So that the flower does not get burned, the earth is watered along the walls of the pot.
Vitamins of group B: B1, B6, B12, are common and effective fertilizers. They are sold in glass ampoules. This dressing will enrich the pet with vitamins. It is prepared as follows: 1 ampoule is dissolved in 2 liters of warm liquid, thoroughly mixed, and then the soil around the plant is watered.
What else can be fed geranium during flowering? Magnesium sulphate - has a beneficial effect on flowering geranium. It cannot be used in its pure form, therefore a solution is made: 15 grams of a substance is required for 5 liters of water.
We offer to watch a video about homemade geranium feeding:
What is better on the street?
If geranium is located on the plot, you can use fertilizers that are intended for flowering garden plants.
In the role of feeding manure cow. Proper application and optimal dosage will allow you to get not only lush buds, but juicy bright leaves. Also, the flowers themselves will increase in size, and this is a good bonus, because at home this is not easy to achieve.
Often used and universal complex fertilizers. They are added to the substrate every 14-18 days. With the onset of cold weather, such dressings are reduced by 2 times.
For good growth
Starting in early spring, fertilizers should be applied, which include nitrogen.. Thanks to him, the growth of foliage and rhizome is activated. Special stimulants are used for active growth: “Heteroauxin” or glucose solution. Soil they fertilized once a week.
You can prepare your own means. The eggshell contains a large amount of calcium, which favorably affects the growth of the flower. The shell is crushed, filled with water and left for 3 days. Then it is thoroughly mixed and watered geranium at the root.
Conditions for flowering geraniums
Герань будет пышно и красиво цвести, если ей будут созданы комфортные условия:
- хорошее освещение. In case of insufficient illumination, the plant may not bloom, at the same time, direct sunlight affects the decorative flowering,
- correct watering, which is produced only when the topsoil dries,
- a small planting capacity, which should be slightly larger than the volume of the root system. Otherwise, the flower will first grow roots, then the leaves, and bloom will not come soon,
- annual pruning, which leaves no more than three dormant buds. The exception is royal geranium, which is not pruned,
- dormant period in the winter months. At this time, geraniums are rarely watered and kept in a cool room.
If all of the above conditions are met, and geranium does not bloom, then it lacks fertilizer
Mineral elements required geraniums for lush flowering
Starting in March, when the rest period at room geranium is over, it needs to ensure sufficient and adequate nutrition with mineral fertilizers, which should include the required elements:
- nitrogen is needed in the flower at the beginning of the season, as it promotes the growth of green mass and plant roots. Later fertilization with nitrogen can lead to an oversupply of shoots and leaves, and flowering may not occur or will be very scarce,
- Phosphorus is needed by the plant for budding,
- Potassium increases plant endurance, its resistance to diseases and stressful situations.
A solution of potassium phosphate fertilizers is recommended to water the plant every two weeks.
An additional source of good plant growth are minerals such as iodine, iron, manganese, boron, potassium and calcium, copper and magnesium. They are contained in many complex fertilizers, which are sold in specialized outlets.
Special fertilizers for geranium contain all the necessary nutrients for strong vegetative growth and abundant flowering plants throughout his life
General rules for feeding
The method of feeding pelargonium is similar to the methods of fertilizing many other houseplants (also read how to feed orchids). But, nevertheless, it is useful to recall that:
- Being in abundant sunshine, this plant is experiencing a kind of stress, so it is better not to feed the geranium in such conditions. If the plant is planted in a flower bed, wait until it is in the shade, if it grows on the window sill, put it away where the sun's rays will not fall on it. After that, wait until the geranium is a little away from the heat. Only after that you can start watering and bait.
- Before you begin to bait be sure to make sure that the ground in the pot (or in the flowerbed near the flower) is slightly damp. In this case, root burn with an excess of mineral water will be less likely.
- Top-dressing of this plant is practiced only in warm seasons (May-September). The frequency of dressings - no more than two times a month.
In no case can not be watered and lure geranium in the very heat, when the leaves of it sagged! Wait until the evening time and start watering only when the plant moves away from the heat and spreads the foliage!
Seasonal feeding features
The first dressing is carried out at the beginning of March, when outside the window it begins to warm up considerably and abundant melting of snow occurs. The flower is moving away from winter sleep, and here he especially needs support.. The timely start of fertilizing will create all the prerequisites for pelargonium to bloom abundantly in summer. In spring and summer, the best fertilizer for geraniums is special mineral blends purchased from the store. Although many gardeners prefer to make mixtures on their own, we will talk about how to feed the plant with folk remedies a little later.
In the fall, the number of feedings must be reduced first by one and a half, and then twice.
By autumn, the plant gradually hibernates again and is unable to process such a quantity of nutrients. And their excessive accumulation can play a cruel joke with pelargonium, because excess mineral water and organic matter can damage the plant's root system.
In winter, feeding is stopped, because the plant is in a state of hibernation. The metabolic processes in it are very slow, and the growing season stops altogether.
How to feed the geranium at home?
Those who are too lazy or too busy to buy top dressing in a specialized store can “cook” fertilizer from improvised means. For example:
- An excellent cow's milk will serve as an excellent fertilizer for the plant. It is diluted at a concentration of 100 g per liter of drinking water, and complementary feed is carried out through a pair of ordinary irrigation. When feeding, milk should be allowed to dry before the next watering, otherwise it may sour.
- After transplantation, glucose will be an excellent “resuscitator” and a stimulant for growth. One tablet should be diluted in a lyre of drinking water and watered with a solution of geranium during the following irrigation.
- Castor oil is an excellent growth stimulant and a storehouse of nutrients. For lush geranium flowering, it is necessary to dilute it at the rate of 1 teaspoon per liter of water and spray the plant with this solution during the ovary of the buds. It would also be nice to water the plant a couple of times with the resulting solution.
- Another "natural vegetation accelerator" is yeast. A gram of dry yeast is carefully diluted in a liter of lightly sugared water, and the healing elixir is ready for use.
- A weak plant can be tried to reanimate with hydrogen peroxide diluted in water at the rate of 25 ml peroxide per liter of drinking water. The resulting solution is sprayed weakened tops of the plants.
How to feed the blooming geranium?
It is possible to feed geranium for abundant flowering both by means acquired in a store, and by folk helpers. In the case of store - this is a special vitamin and other complexes, with a high content of nitrogen. But let's start with the popular, more budget, affordable and, according to many gardeners, more effective.
Food manure and iodine
For feeding only fit manure is suitable! Fresh manure is a concentrate of active organics, which is able to burn the root system and thereby destroy any plant!
If the manure is sufficiently rotted, it is laid out around the stem of the plant and, subsequently, carried out by watering through it. A more effective way is to soak a small amount of manure in water and irrigate the resulting solution. You can also add some iodine to the water for irrigation.
Pouring your plant with iodine is recommended to amateur growers, whose pelargonium, for some reason, goes out of hibernation for a long time or does not develop as intensively as one would like. Iodine in many ways will accelerate the process of growing season and the setting of buds.
Nutrition with Nitrogen and Vitamins
But prikormka manure is good if geranium grows in a flower bed. Within the premises it will be better to feed the geranium with something less “fragrant,” that is, to use nitrogen fertilizers and vitamin supplements. But for this you need to know a few rules:
- Nitrogen fertilizers are used to accelerate the growing season and for flowering, but only until the first buds begin to open. Subsequently, the use of nitrogen fertilizers should be abandoned.
- Acquire vitamins will have in the usual pharmacy. You can dissolve in ordinary drinking water. But you should not constantly water your plants with the same complex. Every half a month the complex should be changed.
- The greater the amount of magnesium sulfate will be present in the dressings, the more abundant the flowering will be.
With insufficient development of the plant, the soil should be supplemented with calcium (you can insist crushed eggshell).
Features care and fertilizer pelargonium
Geranium does not require any special care or attitude. This is a strong and unpretentious plant that can survive even under the most adverse conditions. And all the bait are needed only to the bush was more lush and more floriferous.
The frequency of feeding geraniums
It is not necessary to lure pelargonium more than a couple of times a month. The excess of minerals and organics in the plant may begin to turn yellow leaves. It will start choking. In some cases, due to an overabundance of mineral water, it may even be necessary to transplant the plant.
Remember! In everything you need to comply with the measure, therefore, do not stuff the plant redundantly with everyone! It will wither!
How to feed the geranium so that the leaves do not turn yellow?
Yellowing of the leaves can occur for a number of reasons and resuscitation of the plant should be based on the fact that this was the reason for this. For example:
- Due to yellowing of the leaves from waterlogging (if the moisture stagnates for a long time and does not absorb into the ground), the drainage should be checked. It is best to dig up the plant and replace the ineffective drainage to fresh. Upon completion of transplantation, you can feed with organic matter (rotted manure), pour with a weak solution of glucose.
- Indoor geranium has grown too much and she already lacks a small pot. The problem of transferring to a larger pot is eliminated. Transplantation is carried out according to the “transshipment” method and, after transplantation into a new soil, it is better not to do top dressing for some time, or pour it with a weak solution of iodine.
- Excess mineral water. In this case - the transplant is necessary. In case of severe burns and damage to the root system, it may be necessary to flush the root system under running water. After such manipulations, the geranium not loving transplanting will leave for a very long time, and due to the fact that the mineral water plant is full enough this season, it is better to feed it with organic matter, and only when the plant starts showing a tendency to improve.
Flowering geranium transplanted only in emergency cases!
Top dressing at change
When transplanting, fertilizers are applied only after two months, because there are plenty of nutrients in the new soil and so on. In addition, it is not clear how an excess of nutrients will affect a plant undergoing such stress. After the aforementioned time limit, the plant is fed with the usual mineral complex.
For stunning growth outside
Cow manure is excellent. With proper fertilizer geraniums, this means not only begins flowering, but the leaves become more juicy and bright. At the same time, it is still possible to achieve fairly large flowers, which is not always possible to do in indoor conditions.
Along with manure, you can use all universal complex fertilizers. Make them every 2-3 weeks. But as soon as it gets cold in the street and the need to bring the plant pot to the room comes, the number of dressings should be reduced by 2 times. This will help the plant to adapt better.
Consequences of improper introduction of substances
But it should be borne in mind that watering the room geranium with a solution of iodine and other fertilizers we consider too often is impossible.
So you can partially damage the root system of the flower, because of what geranium will begin to languish and often hurt. It is enough to carry out feeding every 3 weeks, starting in the spring and until the autumn.
A detailed examination of the question of feeding geraniums, we made sure In order to achieve lush flowering, it is not necessary to perform complex operations and use supernatural fertilizer compounds:
- First of all, the main condition here will be that geranium grows initially in a soil sufficiently enriched with useful substances.
- SecondlyIn spring and summer, a complex of fertilizers enriched with minerals should be given.
Do not forget about regular watering with a weak solution of iodine. Correctly calculated amount of top dressing and optimal mode of its introduction will provide abundant flowering of geranium for a sufficiently long period, which cannot but please its owner.
Consequences of improper fertilization
Frequent additions are not welcome, as they may harm the plant, and it will start to hurt and fade. Main consequences:
- yellowness and spots on the leaves appear,
- the root system gets burned
- increases the growth of greenery, while the buds do not have a lush flowering,
- flowers are completely absent,
- leaves fall.
Any florist has a goal - to achieve bright and abundant flowering. It turned out that it is not so difficult to do, especially when it comes to geranium. The main feature is the following: geranium grows initially in a land sufficiently enriched with useful substances.
In summer and spring, it is recommended to give complex additives with mineral content. Also do not forget about watering iodine. Competently calculated volume and optimal application of fertilizing will ensure long-term blooming of the pet, which is good for the owner's eye.