A growing number of summer residents arrange lawns on their plots. Someone has a small piece of green near the gazebo, someone arranges a playground for children’s games on it, someone combines it with a flower bed. To properly make a lawn with your own hands, read our recommendations, which we agreed with the specialists in landscape design.
Varieties of lawns by way of creating
Before deciding how to make a lawn with your own hands, you need to decide which way to create it you choose.
There are two types of lawn arrangement that can be used:
Sowing the lawn will be cheaper, especially if you are going to make a lawn with your own hands. But this method will require you to spend a lot of labor, but after all, our summer resident does not fear any work.
The second type of lawn in the country with their own hands - laying purchased roll carpet. This method allows you to make a lawn quickly and accurately. In addition, we do not need to wait for germination, care for them. We immediately get ready lawn, which will delight us and our children. True, this lawn is relatively expensive, but beauty requires sacrifice!
Varieties of lawns to destination
After selecting the method of manufacture and before making a lawn in the country with their own hands, we determine the functionality of the future lawn. We will choose from several options:
Parterny lawn differs from others in the delicacy of its herbs, delicate emerald greens and excellent decoration. It is arranged to decorate the sites near the buildings, combined with flower beds or alpine slides. Walking on such a lawn is not recommended.
Sports lawnon the contrary, it is characterized by increased resistance to abrasion and fast recovery. Therefore, it is used in playgrounds for summer cottages, near gazebos and other places where increased load falls on the grass.
Park or garden lawn also quite stable, but to a lesser extent than a sports lawn. Grass mixtures for such lawns cost less than sports ones, which is why they are the most common among summer residents. You can also walk and play on this grass for children without causing great harm to the lawn.
Moorish or meadow lawn differs from others in that it consists of floral plants. Sowing grass mixture of such a composition, you will get a real country meadow. This is what a self-made Moorish lawn in a country house looks like in the photo.
Universal lawn has a wide range of applications. It combines the properties of various lawns: and decorative, and resistant to abrasion, and shade-tolerant. The use of this option is recommended in areas with different functionality and degree of illumination.
Sowing lawn device
Now let's talk about making the lawn yourself and illustrate the process step by step in the photo. First of all, you need to prepare the site that was chosen for our lawn.
To begin with, we will clear the area of debris and remove particularly large weeds from it. Small weeds can be selected manually when digging, or nature can be poisoned with the help of chemistry.
Using chemical fertilizers, herbicides or other chemicals, you not only destroy nature, but also poison yourself and your children!
But if you use the techniques of natural farming, you should do otherwise and your site will thank you with a beautiful lawn and a normal ecology. In order to destroy the weeds do not even have to dig the soil. After cleaning the site you need to cover it with a layer of roll materials: old linoleum, roofing material, slate. Various packaging cartons, old carpets and the like will also work. Spread out all this wealth at the end of summer, and in the spring remove and start planting a lawn with your own hands.
Now you need to loosen and level the soil, although under cover some of the work has already been done by worms and other soil inhabitants for you. Under the mulch, they are actively working and loosening the ground. But still the top layer must be treated with a flat cutter and trimmed with a rake.
After that, you need to sow the lawn as carefully as possible, for this, evenly scatter the acquired grass mixture seeds on the ground. First make a longitudinal passage, then cross. Try to sow the seeds evenly. However, you can use a special lawn drill.
Now the seeds need to be embedded in the soil. To do this, use a rake or flat cutter. After planting, it is desirable to roll the seeds. This will increase their germination due to their tighter contact with the soil. The seeds are rolled by a special roller, if it is not available, you can use a pipe section, as in the manufacture of a lawn in the country with your own hands in the next photo.
The prikatanny site needs to be watered well by a sprinkling method in order not to accidentally wash the embedded seeds from the soil.
If you decide to arrange a lawn in the country, first you need to familiarize yourself with the sizes of rolls sold and calculate the quantity you need. The resulting amount of material should be increased by 10 percent, this stock is needed for more precise cutting or to compensate for the defect during installation.
Before you choose a turf for laying it in the country with your own hands, look at the photo below.
You can see that grass rolls should be even in width and thickness. It is also important to assess the quality of the lawn itself.
Before you lay a carpet of sod, you need to prepare the base. Unlike a lawn, lawn roll requires a drainage device. To do this, the soil is removed to the desired depth, and the prepared trench is laid in layers of crushed stone and sand. Layers of pillows should be 10 centimeters thick and carefully tamped. Instead of sand, you can use geotextiles.
After preparing the sand and gravel pad, we return the soil in the required quantity. Leveling the soil on the site, using a tensioned cord. After laying the soil thoroughly ram the pad. We begin the layout of the rolls from the side where they are folded.
It is necessary to lay the lawn on the day of their delivery so that the roots of the grass do not dry out!
We especially carefully approach the laying of the first roll, because the quality of the whole site depends on how we put it in place. After the first roll end-to-end in length and width, we stack the rest. Laying rolls is done with the run. As with the brickwork, on the adjacent lanes the joints should be spaced apart.
It is impossible to lay rolls overlap, but it is better not to do the distance between strips larger than 1 centimeter. If it does not work out otherwise, it is better to trim the edges of the roll. Every lane rolled down. After laying all the bands, the lawn is watered. Watering is carried out until the rolls take root. It usually takes about two weeks.
Photos of lawn in the country, made their own hands
Original lawn shape
Lawn in the country, made by hand
Rolled lawn in the country
Rockery surrounded by lawn
Sports lawn in the country
Original lawn solution
You can make your lawn beautiful for giving without resorting to the help of professionals. Before proceeding to work, it is necessary to determine its type. If you work hard on his device, you will not need to correct the errors later. Each type has its own characteristics, pros and cons. Everything will depend on what outcome you want to see.
According to the type and purpose of lawns for giving are divided by type:
This type is the most famous, its arrangement at the cottage does not require special delights. You can walk around it and organize picnics. Make it at the cottage own hands easier than simple. Seed material is undemanding, it withstands heat very well, is not afraid of shade and hot sun. Garden option is selected for decorative decoration of the area near the reservoirs and in the entertainment area.
Green area for playing in the country will be appreciated by people who adore active forms of entertainment. This type is designed for sports. It is sown with special grass on which you can confidently walk and play. Drainage should be prepared before sowing grass. Seeds for the sports field is able to endure overload. Not afraid of trampling. When forming it, one should take into account the type of sport that will be practiced on the grass.
A worthy contender to a green lawn will be a meadow sown with wild grass. It performs purely decorative functions, it is impossible to walk on it. Requires a haircut once a month, and even less. Meadow looks very impressive. This kind of landscape it makes it possible to achieve similarity with natural meadows. Most often, a verdant glade is located in a cultivated place near the inner courtyard. It is not difficult to form a natural beauty in your site, it is enough to prepare the soil and purchase seed material.
The universal type of landscaping involves a compacted grassy layer made up of some types of grass. According to the outdoor type, it is inferior to well-groomed lawns. Nevertheless, it has a very strong grassy base, which is not afraid of strong trampling. On it is allowed to go without fear. Plant areas, a yard and paths are planted with such a lawn. In summer and spring, the lawn grows rapidly, it needs to be cut frequently and correctly. Otherwise, it will look careless.
The problem with the device lawn can be resolved in a day. Today is the bestbut far from a cheap way to create a lawn. The rolling laying of the grass provides a flat, bright, rich tone. It is very practical to use it in order to bring the normal look to the area in a short time. Against the background of green grass, single trees are looking great. Serves as a beautiful grassy coating for about 8 years.
How to make a lawn with your own hands
The lawn can be as a component of gardening or occupy a large area near the house. Landscape designs of small glades look very attractive. It will be wrong to call the lawn overgrown and neglected land. So can only be called cut grass. There are almost no restrictions for creating a green corner. The implementation has everything you need, you only need the desire to work hard. If you do not yet have experience, it is better to practice on small lawns that can surround garden trees. Having filled your hand, it will be easier to act with large areas.
Bookmark the upcoming lawn start with the selection of the site. Place under the landing should be smooth, without bumps. Otherwise, there will be difficulties with the care and haircut. The soil must be loosened, cleaned from stones and weeds.
In order for grass to grow better, the next step is to fertilize the soil with a special compound. It will be sufficient to add the amount of fertilizer indicated on the package. Counting exercise, starting from the planted area.
After the land has been properly prepared, it must be compacted before disembarking. For these purposes, special rollers are used. It is impossible to sow a grass in not stamped well soil. From moisture the earth will drain, on the site there will be irregularities and depressions.
The next step is equally important. It will be necessary to sow the seeds on the entire plot. What kind of seeds to choose - you decide. Seeds of various kinds are widely advertised. This step can be skipped if you purchase a lawn turf. It will need to simply spread on the ground. The landing is carried out in calm weather, otherwise the seeds will scatter in other areas. Above the seeds, soil is filled in, tamped once more and then watered by spraying. With constant watering grass germination will not be long in coming. Do not water the grass with strong water pressure. Small dispersion perfectly wet the soil without damaging the seeds.
Preparation begins with clearing the site up to cleaning the smallest parts (stones, chips, gravel). It is more correct to uproot trees and shrubs. If the plants need to be left around, you need to dig around. 15 cm depth of soilshould be improved depending on how it is, like this:
- in the sandy soil add loam,
- sand should be put into clay soil
- if the soil is not fertile, bring in the compost.
It is necessary to remove the existing weed roots immediately, otherwise it will be much more difficult later. Weeds will slow down the growth of cereals, besides it looks ugly. Planting should be carried out after treatment with herbicides not earlier than 5 weeks. Laying a new site for planting grass begins in April. Make it necessary until the earth dries. The maximum landing period is mid-May.
It is very important to sow the lawn with your own hands correctly, only in this case you can count on a good result. Before planting, the upper layer of pre-prepared land is loosened with a large rake. Sow better with special planters. If there is no such device, the seeds should be scattered evenly. Many craftsmen instead of the usual planter fit a simple tin can with holes.
The final step will be watering. Use for this spray with a small nozzle. It is permissible to use an ordinary watering can on not very large glades in the absence of a sprayer. The consumption rate of seed material manufacturer indicates on the packaging of seeds. It is necessary, moreover, to note that the consumption may be different - it depends on what kind of lawn you need seeds for.
If we talk about the time spent on disembarking, for a small area one day is enough. When hand planting, it is necessary to monitor the uniformity, otherwise the grass will not completely cover the soil. Depending on the seed variety, the first sprouts will grow in 14 days. To ensure good germination, you should take high-quality material for planting. No need to rely on suspicious lawn products. You can buy everything in special shopping centers or via the Internet..
Without proper care of the green glade, its appearance will be neglected. So that the lawn constantly pleased you, it is necessary to look after him all year round. No need to wait that the refined area will be impeccably attractive. Its content takes time and effort.
Proper care includes:
- constant watering
- fight against different weeds.
If grass varieties are chosen correctly, the technique is observed, the lawn is rapidly formed, it drives out most of the weeds. Unfortunately, it won't break free from weed - numerous rhizomatous weeds will continuously compete with grasses: dandelion, horse sorrel, creeping clover, buttercup, plantain. Permanent haircut not only weakens these plants, but also makes them smaller. In cases of severe lawn contamination with untreated vegetation, herbicides of directional action against dicotyledons (lintour, lontrel) are used.
To survive the winter without significant losses to the lawn can help accurate autumn preparation. Last mowing is carried out no later than 1 month before stable frosts. They cleave the clearing, try not to step on it after the long autumn rains. Snow cover can help the grass to winter, protecting it from freezing. It is harmful to trample snow in the period of cold or winter games, and pouring the skating rink in place of the lawn will lead to its complete destruction.
Damage found in the spring on the plane of the lawn - bald spots, mole cells, etc. - are beginning to be restored, waiting for the land to dry. To actively increase the amount of greenery, scarification is carried out - combing off the dead stalks and leaves. A small dacha glade can be crammed with a rake with frequent teeth.
A lawn growing in dense soils requires regular aeration. This procedure increases the exchange in the soil, it can be useful for the development of bacteria, respiration of the roots. The most common method, convenient for a small lawn, is to stick the garden pitchfork vertically into the turf.
Punctures should reach a depth of 15–20 cm. In the garden centers offer specialized attachments for shoes with long spikes. In the difficult process of walking on the lawn of such shoes you can use the guests. In large areas for aeration and scarification of lawns using special equipment.
It is recommended that you do your own haircut about once a week, from May to September. In the southern regions, these periods may vary.
Grass height is regulated by the type of lawn. The best height is about - 5 cm.
During the period of heavy rain, grass should be cut more often.otherwise it will rapidly lose its own attractiveness.
The introduction of fertilizers increases the resistance of the lawn to drought and the emergence of different weeds.
Top dressing has a great influence on the increase and color of lawn grass, depending on the season. Fertilize is necessary in the summer and autumn.
Распрыскивать удобрения необходимо в соответствии с советами изготовителя. Неправильное применение удобрений может нанести вред растениям.
Сорняки на засеянном участке
Сорняки и сухую травку после стрижки убирают большими граблями. Чтобы насытить почву воздухом, проводят аэрацию. For signs of disease, the area is treated with fungicides.
Green lawn, organized with your own hands - the best option to show design skills and equip the courtyard. Even for a small green glade, a place will be found at the site of caring owners. An excellent addition will be flower beds, ornamental bushes and alpine slides.
It is possible to make an excellent lawn without the help of experts, however it is very important to follow all the rules carefully.
Choose the timing of arrangement of green carpet
Spring-summer sowing works are from early May to mid-August. If grass seeds are sown in spring, plant 10-15 percent more seeds per square meter. The increase leads to the active growth of plants and contributes to the strengthening of the lawn in the winter. Artificially creating competition between shoots, we get the law of the jungle, where the strongest survive, and our lawn becomes beautiful and strong.
Positive aspects of planting in the fall
Autumn sowing has several advantages. If you are planning to make a lawn with your own hands, get engaged in this fall so that in spring and summer you will not be distracted from the main work at the cottage. In the fall, the sun reduces its activity and does not threaten planting, and high humidity creates good conditions for successful grass germination. If you live in the south of Russia, plant seeds in September. A warm rain will soak them in moisture, the root system will harden and the grass will grow.
Residents of the middle lane should be postponed in the fall to plant a lawn until November. The seeds trapped in the frozen soil will calmly winter and sprout in early spring, then, as they were planted in September, they would be drenched or, having turned, they would not have survived the first frost. The cold hardening of seeds becomes an advantage of the November sowing. The melting snow in the spring will bring them moisture, the rest of the ground will support them, the pests are still sleeping, and you will get a magnificent lawn.
Negative circumstances of autumn planting
Considering the downsides of the autumn planting, you should be aware of the vagaries of the weather. If November is abnormally warm, the grass will begin to grow, then frost will hit, and, unable to withstand the sudden drop in temperature, it will die. In addition, a large amount of spring melt water is able to wash away the sowing, which will lead to the formation of annoying bald spots on the surface of the green carpet. Considering the above factors, the amount of seed should be increased. It is a mistake to plant seeds in the winter on a plot with a slope, where there is a high risk of losing them after melt water has disappeared.
Choosing seeds for lawn
For grassy lawn belonging to the elite class and requiring special care, use bluegrass and oatmeal. Plants of these species have a rich green color and thick shoots. If you assume walking on a green carpet, these representatives of the flora are better not to sow, they perceive walking poorly and die quickly. Ordinary lawns are sown with different varieties of bent, which are quite well tolerated load. The choice of lawn grass is wide, and on this subject we have prepared a special article.
Lawn seeds are a mixture of herbs for various purposes.
Types of flowering lawns
The family of flowering lawns is represented by three species: meadow, Moorish and non-grass. Cereals form the basis of all three species, but not only they are used in the design. To ensure flowering for the entire growing season, the grasses are complemented by annual and perennial flowering plants. The names of the species are related to the composition of the vegetation that will cover them.
This type of lawn is a version of a cultivated meadow, collected from plants, measured in a strictly defined ratio. Cereals adjoin in it with clover, daisy, chamomile, yarrow, sackcloth and a number of other decoratively deciduous and flowering plants. No matter how many flowering plants are included, the main role is assigned to grass. Different periods of flowering plants enhance the decorative qualities of the meadow carpet, each time changing its palette.
For the Moorish species take annuals that do not imply a haircut. The dominant role is assigned to flowers, the cereals are represented by a smaller composition and low-growing species. It is desirable that flowering plants have a long flowering period. It is possible to plant species such as matiola, cornflower, large-flowered flax, creeping poppy, calendula, escholcium. Moorish style in landscape design is always different pystotsvetiem, he does not change himself and when creating a lawn.
Growing a grassless lawn with your own hands is a difficult and long-term business. It consists of ground cover plants, the seedlings of which are expensive, to grow by yourself for a long time, and simply sowing in open ground is a waste of time. Non-grass lawn has been cultivated for several years, starting with planting a small amount. Then they wait until the plants grow, and only then they start to form a beautiful green glade. For the garden, where every meter of space is in demand, the non-grassy look is wasteful and inexpedient.
Non-grass lawn requires a long growing time.
Types of grass lawns
Estimating a grassy lawn, the nonspecialist will hardly notice differences of one look from another. The grass is green everywhere, somewhere there are differences in shades, nothing more. However, a professional will unambiguously determine which green “carpet” can be walked around safely, and which one will not tolerate such an attitude. In addition, the types of grass lawns are divided according to seeding rates and peculiarities of care.
The main requirement for a sporty look is resistance to mechanical loads. For planting used a mixture of conventional cereals, which include special varieties of herbs. The decorative qualities of this option are not the best, since its purpose is a playground. The use of special types of plants increases the cost of such a mixture of herbs, complicates care, but it is optimally suited for arranging the territory of a playground, a place near a swing.
The lawn for the playground should be resistant to trampling
Parterny lawn or English velvet
The most expensive and capricious in the creation of the form. Herbs are chosen for him growing only on fertile soils. The vegetation of the parquet lawn is demanding to care, does not tolerate shading, likes to be visible, under the sun. Created for enthusiastic contemplation, he does not tolerate walks through it and refers to exclusively decorative objects. Luxurious, well-groomed, noble, with a true English character, he arouses admiration and respect for the owners who can afford such a decoration of the landscape.
If there is a place in your garden where the grass grows by itself, it means that you already have a pretty lawn that does not require much care. It is called natural because the owners are only required to cut what nature has grown. The only thing to do is to remove too high plant species. This kind of decoration does not carry much decoration, but a nice green lawn will work out of it. If desired, you can sometimes cut and trim. Perhaps in speed you will have a desire to make adjustments to the work of nature, but then you will not form a natural look, but something else.
Lawn in the country with their own hands: rolled or sowing
Before, how to make lawn yourselfThat figure out which is better to prefer:
- to grow grass from seeds, but wait for the lawn to grow,
- purchase a ready-made roll of grass.
The advantages of turf are:
- Ready for immediate use.
- Ability to renew itself during the growing season.
- Lack of weeds.
This option has the following disadvantages:
- High price.
- Significant roll weight.
- The need for immediate styling for complete engraftment.
- Different soil composition of the site and the base of the turf, which will require additional investments for the delivery of fertile soil.
To create sown lawns in the country with their own hands is more profitable:
- A small cost.
- Availability of sowing mixtures for sowing on any site.
- Seeding in May or September.
- Rapid sprawl.
- Undemanding care, the main thing is to regularly water.
There are very few disadvantages:
- It is impossible to move around the sown area until the first shoots appear.
- Enough long waiting time (several months).
Watch the video! We plant a lawn. From weeds to shoots
Choosing grass for lawn matters. There are different grass mixtures for each type of lawn. Herbs are selected, given the purpose of the created site, climatic features of the area. This will provide easier maintenance, increase the durability of the lawn:
- Often there is grass meadow grass. This is a low growing grass. It does not grow above 20 cm, even if the haircut is not made.
- Fescue grows quite fast even on poor soils. It is also low, growing to 25cm.
- Timothy grass makes it possible to create dense undersized coatings of high resistance to trampling.
- The bent shooter forms a dense grass cover, perfectly tolerates low mowing.
- Reygras grows very quickly, allows you to effectively perform lawn repair.
Cleaning the area
After determining the location, the choice of herbal mixture makes sense to start cleaning the area. All the excess is removed:
Tip! On a large area to remove the weed with their own hands is difficult. A variety of herbicides will help to cope with them. But chemical processing requires accuracy. It is important to protect the surrounding plants in dry sunny weather.
Tamping the site is necessary, otherwise after the precipitation the site will become an impassable swamp, the seeds just rot. Avoiding this is easy. It is enough to tamp the ground using an Elephant type roller.
Craftsmen offer many alternative ways to perform tamping easily, quickly, efficiently. Rink from a gas cylinder filled with water perfectly rams the soil. Not bad use wooden tolkushi.
It is important to evenly plant the seeds so that the grass grows qualitatively and evenly. Sow is recommended by the cross method:
- First, they sow grass along the ground,
- After - across.
- Seed consumption is usually 30-50 g / m2.
Sow the grass should be in calm weather. The embedding depth is not more than 15 mm. Then the soil is leveled, mulched. Watering is carried out exclusively spray nozzles, so that the crop is not washed away with water pressure.
Immediately after sowing, it is important to ensure sufficient soil moisture, prevent drying out, which will cause the destruction of crops. Excessive watering increases the risk of grass rotting. Everything requires action. Watering is carried out every day:
- During the first 10 days after sowing,
- With severe drought.
Important! Watering is done only by sprinkling. Water consumption should be 15 l / m2. Then, the frequency of irrigation is determined by the type of soil: sandy waters are watered once every three days, clayey - once a week.
Create do it yourselfflat lawn not difficult, the main thing is to follow the recommendations presented in this article. Of great importance is the observance of the technology of each stage of creating a lawn. After a short time, you can enjoy the fruits of your labor, perfect lawn make it easy.
Watch the video! Lawn The hands. How to plant a lawn in the country with their own hands
Types of country lawns
Any lawn has a specific purpose - one is needed for sports, others see it as a place for quiet rest. There are special lawns designed for contemplation. Requirements for the strength properties of different lawns vary.
The list of summer lawns available for doing by hand includes:
- Lawn parterre or English. It is located in front of the main entrance, around flower beds and shrubs. It is a perfectly smooth glade with a thick carpet of emerald green grass. He needs constant care. In landscape design it is a decorative element, it consists of elite herbs imported from Canada, so it is undesirable to stomp it. Such a lawn is not practical.
- Very elegant, festive looks Moorish lawn, consisting of herbs and flowers. Sow it with a mixture of low letniki, self-scattering seeds and begin to bloom quickly. Mowing such a lawn is not necessary, but it needs constant moisture and good lighting. For him are suitable flowers such as carnations, evening primrose, cornflowers, marigolds, poppies, crocuses. A good place - the shore of the reservoir, under the windows of the house. The main thing that the site was open.
- The lawn is rolled. If you do not want to wait, buy a turf. By deploying, spreading out, trampling and watering it, you can have a picnic on it the same day or just admire its beauty. By trampling such a lawn is stable, so that even a playground will not spoil it. The treatment is simple: watering, monthly fertilizer, cutting 1 time in 14 days.
- Meadow. Let's apply to big sites on the basis of an existing lawn. It consists of meadow grasses of different heights, so you do not need to mow it. Beautifully tinted greenery meadows daisies, daffodils, tulips. For the grass to survive in the cold, additional lighting will be helpful.
Choosing a place under the lawn
The decision to choose the type of lawn depends on what place you are ready to allocate for it. There are certain rules:
- No grass will grow in constant shade. Not all lawn mixes will ascend where you place them. For one you need a completely open area, the other - protection from the wind.
- Grass for lawns does not tolerate excess moisture, so if there is no other place than the lowlands, it is necessary to arrange a good drainage. To do this, observe where the water accumulates after the rain and dig deep holes there. At the bottom lay a broken brick, then a gravel of a large fraction, sand. 0.4 m should remain under the filling with fertile soil. Thus, the water through the soil will drain into the drainage trench.
- The slopes will have to be smoothed so that there are no differences more than 30 degrees. In addition, strengthening is required, otherwise the soil will be leached.
Attention! You can not make a lawn where there is a constant movement. From intensive trampling, the grass will simply “suffocate”, because to the roots will stop getting oxygen.
Step-by-step lawn device
Choosing a place, you can prepare the land. It will not be easy - this is a laborious and long-term business:
- Freedom from weeds. The site is free from stumps and debris. Manually removing weeds is unrealistic, especially if a large lawn was planned. A rational solution is the use of herbicides, but this should be done carefully so that useful plants do not disappear at the same time.
- Digging ground leveling. They dig up the earth by 20 centimeters, choose the roots, pebbles, then level.
- Fertilizer. In the sandy or clay soil enrich, diluting it with peat, black soil. In sufficiently nutritious soil make only fertilizer.
- Ramming So that on the ground under the lawn by the spring no different types of irregularities were formed, and the soil after the rains did not turn into a swamp, it was tamped with a special roller, log or with the help of a regular board.
How to plant lawn grass properly
Settling the lawn needs to be done correctly to avoid gaps:
- Seeds are best distributed using a manual seed drill. If it is absent, the seed is mixed with sand, and then distributed as evenly as possible.
- For uniform sowing, they first pass along, then across. Loosen a kidney with a rake, mulch with peat mixed with fertile soil to increase germination.
- Moisturizing. The final stage is watering. It is better to use a hose with a nozzle "rain", in extreme cases, a watering can with small holes. A strong jet can simply wash away everything that you have done with such difficulty.
Landscape lawn options
We most often have lawns English and ordinary. In the middle of the parterne lawn often arrange large flower beds. This option can be seen near public buildings, but it is inconvenient for giving. Near country houses, mostly satisfied with universal lawns. The territory is sown with grass, and then fantasized, who can:
- create drawings of annual and perennial flowers,
- arrange artificial ponds in the middle of the lawn,
- build island flower beds and gazebos.
The main care of the lawn is its regular haircut, care for flowers, if they are present there, moisturizing, sowing seeds on bald places.
Artificial turf device
Unlike natural, this lawn does not require constant care. Pile, polyethylene or polyurethane, imitates grass with a height of 0.6-10 cm.
For giving acceptable non-sprinkling version of the lawn, having high aesthetic properties. It is adapted to the minimum load of movement and it is not necessary to fill it with quartz sand.
In the sale of such a lawn comes in the form of rolls. Rolling the lawn, it is fixed along the contour with special skirting boards. If the area is large, then separate strips are connected using special brackets. Before laying, the area intended for artificial lawn is leveled and cleaned of broken glass, pieces of reinforcement, etc. Грунт поливают перед укладкой и после нее, чтобы обеспечить лучшее сцепление. Если фактура искусственного газона водонепроницаема, то обеспечивают сток влаги, путем оборудования уклона.
Газон может создать даже человек, далекий от искусства ландшафтного дизайна. It should only choose the right type of lawn, based on real conditions and guided by common sense.
Stops on the way to a beautiful lawn
Having decided on the type of natural carpet, let's look at the question of how to make a lawn. The step-by-step guide to creating a green lawn consists of several steps. Consider a list of them:
- Soil preparation, including soil fertility improvement, acidity adjustment, weed removal.
- Sowing certain varieties of grass, compliance with watering.
- First haircut After the vegetation reaches the required height, it should be cut.
- Permanent care measures and periodic haircuts.
Carrying out all these activities will help to have a beautiful and well-groomed green carpet on the plot. Of course, you will need to monitor soil moisture, destroy weeds, feed cultivated vegetation, sow bald spots, if they show up. Purposefully doing your creation, you will provide him with the proper look.
Preparing the soil for our lawn
The basis of the lawn, on which the whole "structure" rests, is the soil. Step-by-step testing begins with the determination of its fertility. If you got loam or clay, the grass will not grow on them. What to do? We remove the 15-20 cm of the upper layer and fill the pit formed with fertile soil. Irregularities of the relief are eliminated by carefully leveling the surface.
How to align, described in the article "Preparing the land for the lawn on the plot with their own hands - how to level the plot in the country." It is advisable to give a decorative object a slope of 1 cm, so that the storm water does not stagnate on it.
We are waiting for the weeds to hitch, remove them manually or use herbicides. In parallel, we clean the surface of small stones, remnants of roots, debris so that they do not interfere with the development of the root system of our plants.
We check the earth for acidity
Lawn grasses like neutral soils and grow well on them. To check the acidity of your soil, buy a special set in the store. It includes a litmus test, which is placed on the ground and waiting for it to change color. The acidity index is determined by the scale indicated on the package. High acidity at home is reduced by adding lime to the soil; if the soil is alkaline, crushed peat is used, which is scattered over the surface. For the device of grass carpet in the valley should take care of the drainage system, otherwise the lawn will turn into a swamp.
Simple devices for checking soil acidity
We consolidate the soil for seeds
Soil tamping is done before planting seeds. The operation prepares the soil for planting grass and helps to detect the remaining defects before the final completion of work on the ground. The compactor can be made from a pipe section, either asbestos or metal. Inside the improvised roller, a rod is threaded, and a rope is tied behind its ends. If during tamping, holes and humps appear, they should be leveled by hand, then walk again with a roller. To obtain an ideal surface, you can align the area with the edge of a flat board, dragging it along the surface put on.
The right fertilizer solution
For the rapid growth of grass fertilizers contribute:
- after you have filled a place under the lawn of the new land, but have not yet walked it with a rake,
- dry fertilizers can be mixed with seeds,
- When watering the soil fertilizer is diluted in water.
What kind of fertilizer you need, find out simply. Knowing the composition of the soil and the type of grass planted, you can find information in the instructions for ready-made fertilizers.
Using special fertilizers, you can improve the quality of grass on the lawn
All work with the land and the place is finished, there comes a long-awaited moment when it is time to plant lawn grass. The top layer should be slightly loosened with a rake and only then sow grass. For convenience of work, seeds are poured into a bucket, grab a handful and spill them through fingers on the prepared soil, trying to keep the hand evenly. If the old-fashioned method does not suit you, build a self-made seeder. Take a plastic bottle, make a lot of holes in it, here's a seeder for you.
Seeds can be thrown by hand
Calculation of the number of seeds and subtleties of sowing
Independently calculate the consumption of seeds is not necessary, as a rule, all the information is written on the package. However, you need to know the area of the site allotted for the lawn in order to correctly measure their total number. To evenly distribute the seed, the seeds should be split into two parts and first pass in one direction and then perpendicular to the first. After sowing, seeds are covered with earth or sand:
- Pass over the surface with a rake, trying to make the ground cover the seeds. There is a risk that not everything will be covered, and birds will eat them, and bald spots will appear on the lawn.
- Sprinkle crops with remains of imported soil or sand. The thickness of the new layer is 3-5mm.
For sowing large-scale object using hydroseeding, when the entire sowing mixture is poured into special equipment. The device evenly sprays seeds under strong pressure. A small lawn can be planted with a hand sprayer. After such sowing, the top layer of soil after 2 hours is covered with a frozen crust, preventing the seed from being blown by the wind and not allowing the birds to peck at it.
We water and wait
The land was filled up, rammed, the grass was sown, now we have to water it all. Watering should be moderate so as not to overwet the soil and prevent it from drying out. Water flow during watering should come in thin streams. If you work manually, install the nozzle on the hose. At autowatering use sprinklers. The first shoots should be expected in a week. Do not wait for solid shoots, because the herbal mixture consists of grass with different periods of germination.
It looks like the result of all the works
It will take about 25 days, and the grass will rise to 20cm. It's time to mow. When first mowing the grass is cut in such a way that the growth of 5 cm in height remains. Experience shows that such a height is optimal for rapid development. When the plants grow back to 10-12 cm, they should be cut already to 3-3.5 cm, forming the final look of the lawn. Now it remains only to follow the growth, time to cut and water.
Little secrets of great lawn care
Is it worth it to teach the summer resident to take care of the plants with his own hands when he does this from year to year. However, in the case of a lawn there are secrets. The emerald carpet likes watering by sprinkling when the soil receives a large amount of oxygen, ensuring normal development of the grass. If there were heavy rains and puddles formed on the lawn, it needs aeration. You can carry it homemade roller, similar to what was made for tamping the soil. True, he will have to provide pins that will pierce the ground, creating holes for oxygen. Read a special material about lawn care: "A beautiful lawn in the yard and in the country with their own hands - how to make a perfect lawn."
- This is the most common type of lawn. This name unites all those lawn grass mixtures, which are chosen by summer residents for lawns on their plots. It is most often seen in city squares and parks.
- Grass for landscape gardening lawn should be frost and drought tolerant. Grow well in the shade and not trample.
In most of these mixtures are grass for the parterre lawn, but in small quantities. Most of them are cereals such as:
- sheep fescue
These lawns look very attractive, especially from a distance and undemanding to care. It is enough to carry out processing from weeds and to mow at least once a week.
But he has his own significant drawbacks:
- first and foremost is the quality of the grass. This is due to the fact that in Russia this industry is not yet developed, and it is impossible to provide the market with the required number of high-grade seeds. And foreign herbs are not always acclimatized for our climate,
- also choosing an expensive grass it is necessary to understand that without preparation of a site of a lawn it will not turn out. In order for the grass to begin to grow actively and develop the root system, it is necessary to fully prepare the site, adding mineral fertilizers to it.
- How to make a lawn in the garden? To do this, it is best to use the Moorish mixture. This mixture contains a small amount of cereals, its main advantage is a variety of flowering herbs. But unscrupulous manufacturers often put them too little, and place someone else's photo on the color packaging.
To make a beautiful and rich in color Moorish lawn you need to mix the following herbs:
- bluegrass meadow,
- red fescue,
- It is best to arrange it in the orchard, as the abundance of flowers will constantly attract bees. A beautiful appearance will create a cozy summer atmosphere, filling the garden with colors.
- It does not need to be cut frequently, it is enough to mow shorter once in the fall so that it does not emerge. To soils and fertilizers it is undemanding.
- With insufficient watering, the number of flowers will drastically decrease. Exceptions are flowering plants such as sage, cloves or a whitewash.
Fertilizer for lawn
- In order for lawn grass to create a dense and dense grassy cover, on which it will be pleasant to walk barefoot, you must be able to fertilize it correctly and in time.
- Depending on the month, you need to make certain mineral fertilizers or their complex.
- Nitrogen (urea, carbamide) can be added in late spring and mid-summer. It stimulates the growth of the green part of cereals. Plants rather actively use it, so you can feed them every 2-3 weeks.
- Since August, nitrogen in the composition of fertilizers should be as low as possible, since it reduces frost resistance. At this time, it is necessary to pay special attention to nutrition and building up the root system for a good wintering. Therefore, make superphosphate.
- Also, starting from the second half of summer, the lawn is fed with potash fertilizers, which increase the resistance of grass crops to diseases and adverse weather conditions. Potassium nitrate or potassium sulfate is suitable for this.
How to make a lawn in the country with their own hands
- The desired lawn grass or grass mixture selected, it was the turn to start the arrangement of the lawn. But before you make a lawn in front of the house, you need to pave all underground utilities and finish all the ground works.
- Including, paths and borders should already be made so that you can plant a lawn close to them.
- If the soil is slick heavy clay or there is water in the rains, then it is necessary to bring sand in advance for the drainage layer and fertile soil.
Stages of work
- First, the plot is cleaned. They clean up all the garbage, uproot trees and shrubs. Then begins the false and time-consuming process of leveling and cleaning the area from weeds.
- If the area under the lawn is small, then you can dig it manually. If space allows or work is carried out on the virgin soil, then the motoblock is indispensable. It is recommended to dig them once, you get large blocks of earth, but at the same time most of the weed roots will be on the surface as a whole. Smashing these lumps with pitchforks should be as thorough as possible to get all the rhizomes, especially dandelions. If even a small piece of taproot remains in the ground, it will sprout a weed on a young and still weak lawn in the first season.
- Digging should be carried out in dry weather to make it easier to work with the ground. When most of the weeds are selected, the motoblock is repeated. After that, the earth is already loose and homogeneous.
- Leveling start from the edge with a rake. This allows not only to level the ground, but also to additionally collect a lot of the remaining weeds from the surface.
- The next step is to compact the ground. This ensures a smooth lawn in front of the house, without holes and bumps. For these purposes, sold special rollers, weighing 50 kg. But craftsmen come up with many alternative ways. For example, making this rink from a gas cylinder filled with water, wooden pullers, etc.
How to make a lawn near the house photo
- Now the site must be well spilled with water. This will help identify those areas where puddles accumulate. In this place you need to pour the land. If this is not done, then in the second year in this place instead of a lawn moss will grow.
- Site preparation for lawn lawn takes a very long time and, perhaps, is the most time-consuming part of the process. When done, it is necessary to loosen the surface a little with a rake so that the seeds are not blown away by the wind or washed away during the first watering.
- Now evenly pour granulated mineral fertilizer. It is better to take a complex, designed for lawns. It is already balanced and does not require independent calculations of the necessary proportions and mixing of different components.
- If the mixture is taken, then before planting it is necessary to mix it thoroughly with your hands for two minutes. The recommendations on the packaging seed consumption specified 50-100 g / m2. It is better not to save and plant at once by 100 g. Then already in 1.5-2 months there will be a rather thick cover that is able to damp some of the weeds. If planted more rarely, it is likely that dandelions and other perennial weeds will simply force out even weaker grass shoots.
- After a uniform planting of seeds, they are pressed by a roller and watered. Watering should be done through a small sprayer, so as not to wash off the seeds and thus not bare the land.
- That's the whole principle of how to make a lawn in the country. But landing is just the beginning. For a lawn to be thick, without weeds and bald spots, it needs careful care. Next, we consider how to properly water the lawn, what fertilizers to use and what equipment it is desirable to purchase.
Watering the lawn
- This is one of the components of a beautiful lawn. Even an inexpensive lawn in front of a house without watering will very soon lose an attractive look. There will be brown spots of dry grass and bald spots. In these places, the root of the grasses did not die, but went into rest mode, and if you start watering, it will quickly recover.
- It is best to water the lawn in the early morning, when there is still no heat and light wind. It is possible and in the afternoon, but only in those days when there is no scorching sun. Otherwise, water droplets will turn into lenses and leave numerous burns on blades of grass. Evening watering is best done before 6 pm, so that the lawn can dry before night. If moisture persists throughout the night, this can lead to the appearance of moss and various fungal infections.
- The golden rule of watering the lawn is better less often, but more abundant than often and slightly. Of course, during the dry months, watering will have to be done every 3 days. And in the fall, and you can not water. It is good if the soil between waterings dries out completely, which becomes a stimulation to the root formation of the grass. The volume of water depends on the type of soil, the average amount for the middle band is 30 l / m2 of lawn. If puddles began to form on the surface, then it is necessary to stop watering.
Tip: a young lawn that has just been planted should be constantly moistened. Otherwise it dries quickly.
- If the area of the lawn is small (for example, along the flower bed at the path), then you can water the watering can. Also with its help, they water problem areas that are not reached by automatic watering or a hose.
- For standard lawns near the house is most convenient to use a hose with a spray. But at the same time, there should be the necessary water pressure, which is not always the case in the suburban areas, when water is supplied centrally. It will require a well.
- Sprinkler is a special device, very simple in design. Its purpose is to uniformly spray the water supplied from the hose. Depending on the model, one sprinkler can irrigate a hundred lawn at once.
- If the area of lawns is very large, then put an automatic irrigation system. Hoses are located underground. Sprinklers at rest are located on the ground level and do not interfere with movement. At the beginning of work, they rise and begin to produce watering.
Lawn care equipment and tools
- When the snow has melted and the ground has dried (not before the end of April), the lawn must be combed. This removes all the autumn trash in the form of old foliage, dry grass, moss. Small lawn can be processed garden rake. For larger areas will require special equipment - scarifier. They are petrol or electric, choose a better model with a grass collector.
Tip: you should immediately sow the bald spots, if such appeared after the winter. To do this, for 1m2 plot take 150-200 g of grass mixture and the same amount of land, mixed and evenly distributed.
- In May, the grass is already growing up to 8-10 cm, the moment is right for the first mowing. At this time, mowing it shortly is not worth it, the lawn will recover for a long time. It is best to leave a height of 5-6 cm. For this you need lawn mower with the ability to show the cutting height. It should be powerful enough and have a capacity to collect mowed grass. For hard to reach places useful триммер. Для таких целей можно взять недорогую аккумуляторную модель.
- Если нет желания обрабатывать газон от сорняков гербицидами, то стоит купить корнеудалитель. Это ручной инструмент позволяет посильнее углубиться в почву, чтобы вытянуть сорняк с корнем без перекапывания лопатой.
- It is time for nitrogen fertilizing, for even distribution of mineral granular fertilizer, you can use seeder. It is better to choose a plastic model so that over time it will not rust.
- Moles can seriously damage the lawn, disfiguring it with hills and passages. Traditional methods do not always help, it is better to install special ones on the lawn ultrasonic scarers.
- At the end of autumn it is necessary to conduct aeration of the root system (it can be done in the summer). Plot tightly pass forks. To this end, foot aerators are sold, which look like climbing cats and dress to their feet. But for a large area you need to buy motor aerators that look like lawn mowers without a grass collector. They are both electric and gasoline.