The plant honeysuckle (in Latin sounds like a lonitser) is a genus of the honeysuckle family. It includes about two hundred species of climbing, upright and creeping shrubs.
This plant was grown in the best gardens of Europe. Naturally, this plant is common in the Northern Hemisphere.
The largest number of species grows in the Himalayas and East Asia. In modern gardens they grow a curly form of honeysuckle.
These include blue honeysuckle (blue) and edible, as well as a huge number of varieties, which are based on these species. ITS is used for vertical gardening. Also, this plant is of interest as a decorative culture and a source of healthy and tasty fruits.
This is a deciduous, upright shrub.reaching two meters high. Its young pubescent shoots in some places have a characteristic purple hue.
Old shoots - naked, have a thickness of up to 3 centimeters. They are covered with yellow-brown bark, which is located in narrow stripes. Honeysuckle has a spherical, dense crown, its oblong leaves reach a length of up to 7 cm. Young leaves and shoots are covered with a dense edge, old leaves lose their "fluffiness" partially or completely.
Voronkovidny flowers of a yellowish shade in pairs are located in bosoms of leaves. Flowering occurs in late May - early June. Dark blue with a bluish bloom fruits of this shrub edible, reach a length of 9-12 mm. Depending on the variety, they may have an elliptical, rounded, cylindrical shape. Pulp berries honeysuckle purple-red.
Blue honeysuckle (blue)
This is a woody plant that grows 2-2.5 m upwards. Its shoots are slightly curved, erect, the crown is small, spreading. Flowers are collected in white-yellow inflorescences. This type of honeysuckle grows quickly, lives for a long time and bears fruit well throughout its life, which is at least 75-80 years.
The tree is self-productivetherefore, in order to receive fruit, it is necessary to plant some more different varieties near it. It is necessary that insect pollinators have the opportunity to re-pollinate them. These trees, which grow in some regions, are one of the important plants of honey plants.
Honeysuckle Cinderella, description
This variety was hybridized through the efforts of the Siberian Horticultural Research Institute. The official registration of Cinderella is 1983.
In size it is a rather large plant, not higher than 100 cm. The crown of the bush is very lush and dense. The shoots of this plant are light green, flexible, straight and thin. The leaves are linear-oblong in shape. Their length is within 2-3 cm. They are located on short stalks. The fruits of this variety have their own unique taste - they are sweet, with a sour taste and a pleasant strawberry flavor. Their skin is thin, the shape is traditionally oval, elongated.
One shrub variety Cinderella is able to provide a crop of about 1.5-2.0 kilograms. Berries are almost black in color, with a bluish bloom. they keep well on the bush and almost never fall off. Each berry weighs about 2 grams.
To eat fruits of the Cinderella variety, preferably fresh. However, when frozen, they remarkably retain all their qualities.
Delicious and healthy jams, compotes and wines come out of the fruit.
Honeysuckle Gzhelka, description
This variety ripens much later than other varieties of honeysuckle. But it is good because it perfectly tolerates frosts and unstable weather conditions, including during the period of active flowering.
If you plant "Gzhelka" in open areas, it can release the branches by as much as 2 meters in length. If planting thicken, then the bushes are short. However, this does not affect the yield at all. Gzhelka honeysuckle is sometimes used as a natural decor for its backyard or garden. Beautiful large leaves of dark green color of this shrub in the most favorable way are suitable for registration and creation of compositions of green hedges. This shrub in landscape design is especially common.
Gzhelka is a universal variety, which includes the possibility of creating a hedge, and plantings on the site of a fruitful tree with healthy and tasty fruits, whose yield is about 2.5 kg per shrub. Fruits are sweet, saturated and strong. This is a real find for jams, wines, compotes and fruit drinks.
It is possible to plant this plant from March to November, but it is worth refraining from planting in May-June, since during this period the most active growth of shoots begins at the honeysuckle.
In spring honeysuckle cultivation, it is necessary to hold this event before bud break, as this plant awakens very early. But the optimal landing time is the end of September - mid-October.
Before planting, you must first prepare the soil, bring it to the required composition, dig holes, prepare honeysuckle seedlings.
Place for landing is better to choose in advance. Light, protected from the wind, swampy place. Optimally - near the fence or in the company of other bushes. The soil should be fertile - loam or sandy. If the soil is poor, then it is necessary to fertilize it with organic matter, and if it is acidified, then chalk or dolomite flour should be added to the soil.
Seedlings before planting should be carefully examined, if there are broken roots and shoots, then remove, and too long root rods should be shortened to 30 cm.
How to plant honeysuckle
Honeysuckle is planted in pits of 40x40x40. Between them should maintain a distance of 1-2 meters. Before planting seedlings add 10-12 kg of well-decomposed humus, manure or 100 grams of double superphosphate, wood ash, potassium sulfate. These substances are thoroughly mixed. with the soil left at the bottom of dug holes. After that, plant a bush and fall asleep loosened soil. Then should be done around the new landing board and pour water there. When it is absorbed, the soil around the mulch is peat, humus, sand, dry earth.
Perhaps caring for this plant may seem complicated. After all, like many other plants, it needs a full range of activities:
- loosening the soil around the shrub,
- timely fertilization,
- the right way to trim
- protection against diseases
- release from pests.
It looks disappointing, is not it? Especially if the owner has a garden.
However, it should be understoodthat the better a gardener will look after honeysuckle, the more beautiful her crown will be and the harvest will be more abundant.
However, gardeners should be comforted by the fact that all these concerns will not come immediately. For the first three years after planting the bushes, it will only be necessary to spud the plants in the spring, moisturize and loosen the soil, removing around the weeds. And if you apply mulching, then all these activities can be desired infrequently.
Watering honeysuckle can only be from time to time, but in dry weather, especially in early summer, watering should be abundant. If you do not do this, then the berries will taste bitter, and the amount of the harvest risks for the most part to die.
If the weather is mild, with no particular temperature fluctuations and with systematic moderate rain, then it will be possible to water the honeysuckle no more than 3-4 times during the whole season. Each bush at the same time will have to get at least. than 10 liters. After moistening, you will need to gently plow through the soil around the bushes and remove weeds.
When caring for a plant, one should take into account that its root system is located close to the surface of the earth. That is why the loosening is necessary superficial, without going deep below 7-8 cm. If mulch has already been performed, then it can be loosened through mulch and much less often.
Description of the beneficial properties of honeysuckle
Its fruits have a high content of various sugars:
They are also rich in organic acids:
Many vitamins are also included in its berries: vitamin C, provitamin A, elements of group B: B1, B2, B9.
Trace elements such as:
This is not to mention the pectins and tannins, which are also abundant in honeysuckle.
All this diversity explains why the therapeutic spectrum of this plant is so wide. Honeysuckle can: increase gastric secretion,enhance the properties of gastric juice. In addition, it has the action:
- as well as antibacterial action.
Herbalists, as well as traditional medicine, use the fruits of honeysuckle in the treatment of diseases of the stomach, hypertension, to normalize the gastrointestinal tract, with anemia, as well as to achieve a therapeutic and prophylactic effect.
Berries also have both antipyretic and vascular strengthening action. In addition, it is an indispensable multivitamin remedy for cardiovascular diseases.
Honeysuckle - contraindications
As we remember, there are edible and inedible types of honeysuckle.
Edible contraindications do not have. There are only restrictions on overdose. If the berries overeat, then you can get indigestion, allergic rash and muscle spasm. As you know, every product that is rich in beneficial properties can cause serious harm in case of overdose. The same goes for honeysuckle.
Inedible types of honeysuckle are also different healing properties and knowing exactly how to prepare a medicinal drug, it is better not to try to engage in amateur, otherwise you can seriously harm. Also, be sure to rememberthat only black and blue fruits can be eaten. Species with orange and red fruits are poisonous!
How a grade was created
Honeysuckle "Cinderella" comes from the Research Institute of Horticulture of Siberia. Lisavenko, which is located in the city of Barnaul. Thanks to the works of scientists Lynchuk ZI, Kalinina I.P., Zholobova Z.P. appeared variety in many virtues.
“Cinderella” is the result of many days of work and the result of free pollination of Kamchatka honeysuckle.
There were many years of scientific tests before the honeysuckle was entered into the State Register, and it happened in 1991. Due to varietal characteristics, Cinderella has been widely used and has become one of the most common crops among gardeners of Siberia and the Urals.
Description of the Cinderella variety
If we turn to the botanical portrait of honeysuckle of this variety, we can say the following:
- the plant looks like a medium-sized shrub with curved twigs,
- the leaves are rather small and have a light green tint,
- shrub berries have strawberry flavor with a slight sourness, up to 1.5 cm in length, weighing 1-1.5 g. They have an elongated shape, thin black skin with a bluish bloom,
- fruiting plants begins in the third year of life,
It cannot be said that honeysuckle is super fruitful, but it has other advantages: the berries have a harmonious and pleasant taste. Regarding diseases, we can safely say that they bypass the Cinderella party to a greater extent.
In addition, the bush overwinters well in harsh winter conditions and is quickly restored in the spring.
In order for the plant to be pollinated safely, it is necessary to plant several bushes at once, since the variety is self-productive.
The authors argue that in order for pollination to occur, any kind of Kamchatka honeysuckle is necessary, but in practice there are other results: gardeners with experience claim that for a good neighborhood for Cinderella, the varieties will be ideal in the form of: Leningrad giant, Blue spindle, Kamchadalka, Tomichki, Amphoras.
So, let's summarize some results:
- Unconditional “pluses” of the plant include its high winter hardiness, the variety is excellent against many diseases, honeysuckle berries have excellent taste data.
- Among the minuses it can be noted: fruitlessness itself, therefore several bushes - pollinators should be planted on the site at once, “Cinderella” is prone to shedding during the ripening of berries, the fruits ripen unevenly.
Despite significant drawbacks, many gardeners prefer to grow this particular shrub variety, since they believe that the positive qualities of the plant overlap all its negative aspects.
The Blue Bird is a relative of the wild Kamchatka honeysuckle. Breeding was carried out in the Siberian Research Institute. It is an early ripe variety, quite unpretentious in care and has good resistance to diseases and pests of honeysuckle.
The crop appears after a three-year period from the moment of disembarkation. Fruits long time - within 20-25 years. It is characterized by the spherical shape of the crown, the bush is quite massive.
The berries are of elongated blue-blue color with a waxy coating characteristic of honeysuckle. Taste is very soft without sourness, the harvest is quite large - about 1.5 - 2.5 pounds.
The name of the variety is from Kamchatka wild honeysuckle, and is applicable for cultivation in cool regions of the Russian Federation. This is a plant with an average fruit ripening period. Bushes are small (maximum 1.5 meters), the crown is rounded. Prefers neighborhood with "Morena", "Altair", "Gzhelkoy."
Fruiting occurs after a three-year period of growth. The berries are large, their length can be up to 2.2 centimeters. They grow in the form of an aesthetic pitcher-shaped and covered with a thin skin. To taste sweet and sour with a weak bitterness at the end.
This is a great option for preparations for the winter. The yield is about a kilogram of a bush.
Compote and honeysuckle jam - good preparation for the winter
The next our article tells about the sweetest varieties of honeysuckle.
Honeysuckle of the early period of maturation from the family of Pavlovsk selection. It comes from wild Kamchatka fellows, therefore it has a rather high resistance to pests and diseases.
In the central regions of Russia, berries ripen one week later than other varieties. Bushes can reach up to 1.5 meters in height, and have a squat crown in the shape of a ball. Berries are medium in size with a strong patina.
According to gardeners, "Altair" - one of the best varieties. Its fruits are distinguished by sweetness, juiciness, but there is also astringency in taste. Harvest up to 2.5 pounds of a bush.
"Dolphin" - one of the representatives of the seaside honeysuckle breeding. Most of all, it is adapted for growing in the eastern regions of the country. The ripening period is medium. Flowering occurs at least twice per season - in spring and autumn, because winter resistance is quite low.
The shrub can grow up to one and a half meters in length. The crown of his densely growing, rounded shape. The shoots are sloping to the ground, the leaves are wide, concave.
The berries are rather large, in the shape of a cylinder, their upper part may be associated with a dolphin smile - this explains the etymology of the variety.
Fruits are lumpy, the skin is rather thick. The berries are not very large, but there are many. The yield is about three kilograms.
Honeysuckle is a rather early ripening culture. Only strawberry and raspberry can compete with it in these parameters.
From this video You will learn about the most popular varieties of honeysuckle:
Blue honeysuckle - This is a low, perennial shrub. His height from 60 cm and above. In Russia, it grows in Central, Eastern Siberia and the Far East, and is also found in other areas. There are wild and cultivated plant species.
In nature, it can be found in places such as:
- floodplain forests
- river valleys
Many varieties of plants tolerate frosts and unpretentious. For successful growth requires regular watering, loosening the soil under the bush. Note that the root system is close to the ground. The procedure should be carried out carefully so as not to damage it.
- When drying individual branches, they need to be removed with shears.
- Experienced gardeners are advised to plant different varieties.
- This will ensure the harvest of the fruit.
- This happens due to mutual pollination.
The berries are oblong, saturated blue. They have a sweet and sour taste. Some species have bitterness. When choosing a variety you need to know that there are edible and poisonous fruits.
Farm specializing in the breeding of honeysuckle varieties
The Bakcharskoe gardening enterprise is located in the Tomsk region. For 84 years, it displays varieties of fruit and berry crops. Here grow unique, cold-resistant species. At the moment, honeysuckle is the main crop of this economy.
Its plantation covers an area of 50 hectares. Many of its varieties are created here: Bakcharsky Giant, Tomichka, Bakcharskaya, Bakcharskaya Jubilee, Daughter of the Giant, Yugan and many others. Below we consider each view in detail.
In 1926, the Pavlovskaya Experimental Station of the Nikolai Ivanovich Vavilov All-Russian Research Institute of Plant Industry was opened not far from St. Petersburg. There are 4 plant research laboratories. Employees study, grow plants, cross them and breed new species.
M. N. Plekhanova specializes in honeysuckle varieties. Ей и ее ученикам принадлежат сорта:
- Влада и мн.др.
Помимо, российских селекционеров и биологов размножением этой культуры занимаются в других странах, например, в Канаде, Китае.
- This is an early variety. Its fruits ripen in early June. Honeysuckle Bakchar's pride withstands severe frosts in winter.
- Also, spring frosts do not interfere with its flowering and fruit ovary.
- The weight of the berries reaches 1.2 g., Their length reaches 5.5 cm. They have a spindle shape.
- Their color is purple-blue, and the taste is sweet-sour. They are covered with a strong patina. Thanks to thick skin, the fruits of this variety are easy to transport.
- They make delicious jam or compote.
- For better pollination, other varieties need to be planted nearby: the Daughter of the Giant, Delight or the Bakchar Giant. This variety will bear fruit for over 30 years.
- One of the largest species of honeysuckle. Its berries reach a length of 4 cm, weigh about 2.5 grams.
- They have an oblong, cylindrical shape. The skin is tender with a touch of wax.
- They taste sweet and sour and have a bright aroma.
- Up to 4 kg of crop can be removed from one bush. Bakcharsky giant grown in all regions of Russia.
- This variety is resistant to disease and frost. He likes cleanliness, so we regularly need to weed weed plants that grow nearby.
- Ideal neighborhood with honeysuckle Nymph or Daughter of the Giant. The fruits on the bush grow to 2 - 3 year of cultivation.
- The shrubs of the Bakchar giant can grow up to 2 meters wide and 1.3 meters wide.
- Straight branches do not form a dense oval-shaped crown. It is convenient to collect fruits from them, by shaking, pre-bedded fabric under a bush.
- The berries of this variety are easily showered.
- Judging by the reviews of gardeners on the Internet, this variety has the largest fruits.
- Despite its meager yields, due to its excellent taste, it is very popular.
- From the berries of this variety make wine, juice, jelly.
- The grade is brought in the Russian State registry. Its bushes are oval medium-sprawling.
- His shoots are colored brown.
- The difference of this type of honeysuckle is that it tolerates heat and drought well.
- Upon maturation, it is a medium late variety.
- The berries grow quite large from 1.4 to 2.1 grams.
- Possess a refreshing scent. There is no bitterness in their taste.
Their use is universal:
- compotes and jams
- Morena honeysuckle bred at Pavlovsk Experimental Station.
- The variety has the second name "Little Mermaid". It ripens early.
- Fruits weigh 1.2 grams., Their length is 3 cm. Dropsiness is low. From the bush you can collect 1 kg of berries.
- This is an early ripe species, the harvest is ready for harvest in the second half of June.
- Low shrubs. They appear in the garden not only as a fruit-bearing plant, but also as an ornamental plant.
- The branches have a beautiful bend and brown bark.
- For productive pollination, the neighborhood with the varieties Nymph and Blue Spindle is desirable. Morena fructifies 20 - 25 years.
- The species has good health.
- But in years with cold summers and frequent rains, it is susceptible to aphids, spider mites, powdery mildew, and rust.
- To combat them, special preparations are used, for example, the follicle.
- During the flowering and ripening of the fruit can not be used chemicals for the treatment of shrubs.
- The grade well gets accustomed in many regions of Russia. Carries winter frosts down to -40C.
- The variety is bred by biologists at the St. Petersburg Experimental Station. Refers to mid-season species.
- Erect shrub, grows in height from 1 to 2.5 meters.
- The branches are formed in a round crown.
- The peculiarity of this species is that the berries grow in clusters. This facilitates their collection. Fruits in July. Leningrad Giant loves loose soil and abundant watering.
- The berries are large, their weight reaches 4 gr., Length 3.5 cm. They are elongated in shape, slightly flattened.
- The surface of the fetus is flat with minimal tuberosity.
- The skin is saturated blue, dense with a touch of medium.
- They have a refreshing sour taste, with a mild sweetness. No bitterness.
- The grade is used for preparations for the winter and in the medical purposes.
- The first berries appear at 3 - 4 years after planting. From one bush can collect up to 3 kg of fruit. The variety is self-infertile.
- The best neighborhood for pollination is Honeysuckle Morena or Blue Bird.
- But you can combine with Malvina, Gzhelka, Blue Spindle.
- According to reviews, the Leningrad Giant is resistant to various diseases.
- It is chosen for frost resistance, ease of picking fruits, low berry drop.
- A variety of medium early ripening. Berries are sweet, contain a minimum of acid.
- Silginka is a combination of the decorative beauty of the bush and the dessert taste of the fruit.
- Tasters put him a high score of 4.9. The average berry weighs 1.4 grams. Their form is oval, elongated with a pointed top.
- Fruits have a high content of vitamin C of 42.3%. The color of the berries is a classic dark blue. They are covered with silver wax coating.
- The height of the bushes is small, usually up to 1.5 m. The crown is rather sprawling, round in shape.
- Green shoots with a slight bend, grow up. It grows up to 3 kg of berries.
- For pollination the best companion Bakcharsky Giant. Both varieties ripen at the same time.
- Cross-pollination will increase the yield of both of them.
- Reviews about Silginka only positive. It tolerates heat and drought well, resists diseases, parasites.
- Big plus varieties - simultaneous ripening of fruits. Ripe berries are not showered; they can wait for harvest for a long time.
- This fact is convenient for those who want to plant honeysuckle in the country, but does not have the opportunity to often go there.
- Late-ripening variety obtained by the employees of the Pavlovsk Experimental Station.
- It has large berries: 3 cm in length, weighing 1.2 grams. The skin is soft, covered with peculiar honeysuckle bloom.
- Fruits are distinguished by high tuberosity.
- They are bluish-blue in color.
- The pulp is fibrous, sweet, with a spicy bitterness. She received a high score at the tasting - 4.8.
- Nymph begins to ripen at the end of June. With one bush can collect 1.5 kg of honeysuckle.
- The variety is not whimsical, but loves fertilized soil. Fertilize need seedlings in the second year.
- Organic and mineral blends are suitable. Fruits in 2 - 3 years after planting.
- The nymph can be prone to disease, you need to carefully monitor the shrub. In time to remove the damaged branches.
- The territory under the bush and around must weed from the weeds.
- Like most varieties, the Nymph is self-infertile. Together with it you need to plant the bushes of the Amfora, Lazurnaya, Pavlovskaya species.
- Gardeners call this variety profitable. It bears fruit for 30 years, it eliminates the need to frequently replace the bushes with new ones.
- Caring for her is simple.
- Hybrid variety of honeysuckle, bred in 2012. It was developed by Bakchar biologists. The bush has a round shape.
- Its height and width reaches 1.7 meters. The berries are purple in color, reaching 2.6 grams by weight. Their shape is fusiform.
- The wax coating is very thick.
- During the tasting, the fruit taste was evaluated on a five-point scale by 4.8 points. They contain 8.9% sugar.
- Berries ripen in the second decade of June. Crush is average. One bush gives 3.5 to 5 kg of crop.
- Due to its dense skin, the variety tolerates transportation.
- Gardeners celebrate the convenience of collecting fruits, due to the shape of the bush.
- Variety loves the sun, with its lack of the size of the berries decreases. To the soil, he is not pretentious.
- Under favorable conditions, will give in the year of planting the first crop.
- For pollination fit varieties of Yugan, Bakcharsky Giant.
- The variety was bred in 2010 by breeders of the Tomsk region. The fruits of it are large 4 cm in length, the weight reaches 2 grams.
- Taste during tasting is estimated by the highest score of 5 out of 5. The shape of the jug berries. Yugana has a high yield.
- One bush per season gives up to 6.5 kg of berries.
- Shrub low. It grows up to one and a half meters. His crown is like a hemisphere. It is spreading, can reach 1.9 meters.
- They ripen unevenly, it allows you to collect 3 times. The warmer the climate, the faster the ripening occurs.
- On ripening, they fall off not immediately, remaining on the bush berries, filled with sweetness.
- It is recommended to collect them by flicking on the cloth on the ground. This will allow the green fruit to ripen on the branches.
- In contrast to the above species, Yugana is self-fertile. But planting next to another representative will provide an increase in yield.
- Such varieties as Delight, Daughter of the Giant are suitable for the neighborhood.
- The most winter hardy and unpretentious. He is named “Cinderella” for his diligence in crop production.
- Berries have a sour taste with strawberry notes.
- Berry length 1.5 cm, weight 1.4 g. Their color is dark, close to black.
- Top covered with a touch of gray shade. One shrub gives 1.5 kg of fruit.
This variety has disadvantages:
- the crop does not ripen at the same time
- ripe berries immediately showered
- Bushes are not high. It grows to a maximum of 0.7 m. The crown has a round crown formed by curved branches.
- According to reviews, picking berries is inconvenient. The mechanical way to use the short stature of the shrub does not allow.
- The variety is not suitable for cultivation on an industrial scale.
- For pollination recommended neighborhood with the Leningrad Giant, Blue Spindle, Amphora. Tomichkoy.
- This is a young kind of honeysuckle. Very sweet variety, thanks to this got its name.
- Berries are large, weigh 1.5 grams. The form they have an almost flat cylinder.
- The color of the fruit is purple, with a dense touch of wax. Have a bright aroma.
- Bushes Sweeteners medium height. Their crown is oval.
- Best neighbor for cross-pollination Honeysuckle variety Nymph.
- Borealis honeysuckle bred in Canada in 2007 by scientists from the University of Saskatchewan.
- It is a mixture of Tomichka and Kiev 8. It is a short-growing variety, it grows only up to 1.2 m.
- The berries are oval-shaped, similar to the boxes. They are hidden under the foliage of the shrub, firmly attached to the stem.
- Due to this, the fallability of fruits is low. Their weight is 1.6 grams. They have a tart taste, they make natural juice of excellent taste.
- Subspecies resistant to pests and frost. Designed for dachas, because fruit picking is possible only by hand. Harvest of the bush for the season 2 kg. For pollination honeysuckle Aurora is recommended in the neighborhood.
- The variety was developed by the specialists of the Pavlovsk Experimental Station for regions with a very cold climate.
- Its bushes are straight, of medium height up to 1.5 m. The branches are thick, tend upwards at an angle.
- This species has crimson bark. Amphora is used in decorative designs.
- Berries are large, by weight up to 3 grams. 2 cm long. The rind is dense, traditional blue with a whitish bloom.
- The flesh has no flavor. Her taste has bitterness and lingonberry flavor.
- Tasters gave him a rating of 4.5 points.
- Amphora gives the first harvest in the third year of growth. With one bush can remove 1.3 kg of fruit.
- Ripen closer to the end of June. Berries can hang on the branches for a long time without falling off the ground.
- The best pollinators for him are Altair. Nymph, Morena, Bazhovskaya.
- The early grade of a honeysuckle removed in Bakcharsky economy. Obtained by crossing honeysuckle Kamchatka and Turchaninov. It survives well in regions with severe winter frosts. One bush gives a rich harvest, about 3.5 kg.
- Bush Siberian srednerosly, decorative. Branches and foliage form a semicircular crown.
- Actively used to decorate the garden plots. Shoots moderately curved, grow horizontally.
- They have an anthocyanin strip in areas under the sun's rays. This is a distinctive feature of this variety of honeysuckle.
- It is undesirable to grow Siberian in regions with warm climates. In the warm winter, it can bloom and dissolve the buds. This will adversely affect the quality of the fruit.
- Berries are sweet with a slight sourness and astringency. They are large - 1.4 gr. In shape resemble spindle.
- Fruits are purple in color, with a characteristic blue hue for honeysuckle. They are very gentle, so they can not be stored for a long time. Transportation is also disastrous for them.
- The grade is universal, jam is made of it, compotes, jams.
- Siberian resists disease and pests. Does not like excessive moisture. Abundant watering or a humid climate can lead to a scrub disease.
- Siberian does not like drafts. Strong gusts of wind can pluck flowers or fruit. The harvest will be lost.
- Like many varieties of honeysuckle, this self-productive.
For pollination are suitable varieties:
- The grade is removed in institute of a name of Nikolay Ivanovich Vavilov.
- Bushes are tall, have the shape of an inverted cone.
- A distinctive feature of honeysuckle Bullfinch - plentiful peeling of the bark on the branches.
- The berries are medium in size. Their weight on average reaches 0.9 grams. The taste is sweet and sour.
- The shape of the spindle. They ripen in late June.
- One bush gives up to 2.5 kg of crop. Suitable for use fresh, in the form of jam, compotes, etc.
- This variety grows well in the sun and in the shade. It tolerates frosts.
- It does not require special care. Cross-pollination requires neighbors such as Bluebird, Magadan.
- The variety is bred by the city of Barnaul. Growth bush on average 1 meter. The crown is an oval shaped by fairly rare branches and foliage. Green shoots grow straight.
- The fruits of the Blue Spindle are large from 0.9 to 1.5 gr. 2.7 cm long
- The shape resembles an elongated spindle, after which the variety was named. The berries are blue, covered with thick bloom and tubercles.
- The flesh tastes sweet with acid. With drought and insufficient watering, bitterness appears in it.
- The crop ripens after June 12. It must be immediately collected. This species is very showered.
- You can lose up to 15% of the fruit. From one bush goes up to 2.5 kg of berries.
Varieties are suitable for pollination:
According to reviews, the Blue Spindle has several advantages:
- Early ripeness
- Drought tolerance
- High yield
- Large berries
But there are downsides to this variety:
- High shedding of fruits
- Bitterness in taste
- The variety is most adaptable to many weather conditions. Appreciate the Blue Bird for its sweet taste.
- Acid is present, but to a lesser extent compared to other species.
- Fruits ripen early, at the end of spring you can help them.
- Bushes grow to 1.8 m. The crown is oval. Form its direct shoots with dense foliage.
- Berries weigh up to 0.9 g., Their length is about 2 cm. For honeysuckle it is an average size.
- They are shaped like an ellipse. Their color is dark, almost black with a tint of blue.
- Fruiting begins at 3 years after planting. The blue bird will delight the host for 30 years.
- The variety is self-infertile.
To increase the yield, the neighborhood with honeysuckle varieties is favorable:
In order for the Blue Bird to bring a lot of fruits, it is necessary to follow several rules in caring for it:
- Plant on the sunny side
- Every two years you need to fertilize the soil
- Excess branches need to be cut
- In regions with a harsh climate, shelter shrubs for the winter
- Bazhovskaya honeysuckle was obtained by Ural breeders. It was bred by crossing Altai and Kamchatka varieties.
- The variety is famous for stamina.
- The bush is tall and sprawling with a lot of shoots. Its height can reach 2 meters. The bark on the branches casts a purple hue.
- The berries are dark blue with a touch of wax. Their shape is similar to elongated barrels. Their surface is bumpy.
- By weight, they reach 1.8 grams. The flesh is tasty, without the addition of bitterness. Evaluation of tasters they are given the highest - 5 points.
- The yield of one bush is 2.5 kg.
- After planting, the fruits on the Bazhov honeysuckle appear for 4 year.
- To increase the yield, they are recommended for the neighbors of the variety Long-fruit, Blue spindle, Amphora.
- The disadvantage of this variety is that it is attacked by aphids. She likes regular watering, without him the berries begin to taste bitter.
- Harvesting is necessary as the fruits ripen, otherwise they crumble and will be spoiled.
- Variety Daughter of the Giant bred by crossing wild varieties growing in the territory
- Far East. It has very large berries and high yield.
- The fruit is 3.5 cm long, its weight can reach 2.5 grams. One bush gives up to 5.5 kg of crop.
- The berries hold tight, which allows them to gather together. For pollination, you should plant honeysuckle Delight or Bakcharsky Giant nearby.
- A variety of medium grades of ripening. Flowering begins in April, the fruits are ready to eat in early July.
- They have a rich purple color with blue. The taste of the berries are very sweet. In form they look like a pear.
- The bush of this species is 180 cm tall and 130 cm wide. Its branches form an oval-shaped crown.
- Fruiting begins at 3 - 4 years.
- The variety tolerates winter frosts very well. He is not whimsical to the soil, suitable for any region.
- Loves moisture, so in arid areas the bush needs regular watering.
- Honeysuckle variety Long-fruited in the Southern Urals. Thanks to biologists, it is adapted to the Ural region and the Volga region.
- In these areas, it does not grow in the wild, the Siberian varieties are difficult to adapt to another climate.
- Bushes of medium height, have a very sprawling crown. The bark of the shoots is colored purple.
- Flowering begins in early May. For the ovary and ripening of fruits of this variety need 35 days.
- The berries are uneven, elongated. Their color is bright, blue, there is a characteristic wax bloom.
- The average weight is 1.8 gr., Length - 2.7 cm. They are juicy, with a sweet taste and a refreshing aroma.
- The acid in them is moderate. There is no bitterness, but it can appear in dry years. One bush gives from 2 to 3 kg of a crop.
- Like many varieties, the long-fruited honeysuckle is self-productive. It is better to combine for pollination with bushes of varieties: Morena, Lebedushka, Sineglazka.
Gardeners are attracted by the variety because:
- In the spring withstands frosts down to -7C
- Fruits ripen at the same time
- Berries sit firmly on the branches. Почти не осыпаются, даже при сильных порывах ветра
Сорта для Подмосковья
Для Подмосковья подходят разновидности с невысокими кустами
- Жимолости не страшен холодный и влажный климат.
- It tolerates frost well, even during the flowering period.
- Almost all regions of Russia are suitable for it, except for the southern regions.
- It is important when choosing a variety to take into account the characteristics of each of them and the weather conditions.
Moscow breeders developed a number of species specifically for the area:
- Gzhelka - gives up to 2 kg of berries from the bush. It tastes sweet. The shrub itself is decorative, it can be used for hedges.
- Titmouse - taste with a complete lack of bitterness. Exudes a refreshing scent. The bushes are very dense crown.
- Moscow 23 - a variety with a very high yield. Up to 3 kg of fruits can be harvested from the bush. It has a minus - shedding, berries should be picked often, as they ripen.
This is a characteristic of some varieties. They displayed more than 20:
Eternal Call, Ramenskaya, Wiliga, Kingfisher, Pacifier, Princess, Lakomka and others. In addition to special species, they bred well for other areas: Morena, Cinderella, Berel, Blue Bird. Amphora.
Honeysuckle with red and orange berries is poisonous
- It is grown for decorative purposes. They grow plants in all regions, even in the south.
- The most famous varieties: Tatar and Kaprifol. However, there are many more, there are large and small bushes, vines.
Consider several types:
- Brown Honeysuckle - this is a climbing plant. Attract flowers of bright color with a long tube in the middle. Her homeland in North America. Very fond of the sun and does not tolerate drafts. For the winter you need to cover it, so as not to freeze.
- Lebedura - This is another North American. It is a half meter bush. She has attractive black berries, framed by cherry blossom bracts.
- Maak's Honeysuckle different white flowers. Grow along shoots. Her red fruits in the autumn with pleasure feed the birds.
- Inedible varieties are very beautiful.
- They are decorated with bright fruit, thick foliage.
- They do not lose their beauty with the onset of autumn.
Breeding history and description of the variety
The “Cinderella” variety cannot be called new, it was bred back in 1974. The work was done by breeders from Siberia, in 1991 he passed the test in many regions with a harsh climate and was later entered into the State Register. Since then, those who grew the honeysuckle of this variety, it remains true. Suitable for cultivation throughout the territory of our country, refers to the medium. Has its strengths and weaknesses.
Varietal characteristics of honeysuckle Cinderella:
- undersized shrub - the height does not reach the meter, usually 50-70 cm,
- Bushes grow compactly, their crowns are full, branches do not crumble,
- leaves have oval contours, color - lime, slightly concave in the center,
- the berries are not the same size, they can be from 0.7 to 1.7 grams. In length - a little less than 2 cm,
- the shape of the berry is elongated, there are characteristic hillocks,
- the skin is non-rigid, its color, like ink, is gray patina,
- honeysuckle is valued for taste, where there is a light strawberry shade, the fruits are sweet, tender,
- has a universal table purpose - can be used in food raw and processed - juices, compotes, jams, jams,
- matures in june. Depending on the region, the dates may shift from the first decade to the third,
- productive variety - four-year bushes yield up to 1 kg of fruit, but seven-year-olds can already bring you from 2.5 to 5.5 kg per season,
- Immune culture to low temperatures, flowers are not afraid of spring frosts, do not get sick.
On a note! According to the evaluation of tasters, the berry of this variety gets 4.8-5 points due to its taste and aroma.
As you can see, there are strengths in Cinderella honeysuckle. It also contains a large percentage of nutrients that our body needs, but their number may vary in different years due to weather conditions and agricultural technology. Also, low-growing honeysuckle is an excellent ornamental shrub that you can plant along the garden path as a hedge.
- ripe fruits are not always, but can still crumble, so as soon as the honeysuckle began to ripen, it is better to harvest crops every day,
- because of their low growth, the bushes are not suitable for industrial cultivation, since it is impossible to harvest the crop mechanized,
- the berry ripens non-simultaneously.
Important! Shrubs are self-productive, they need neighbors. Pollinators for honeysuckle "Cinderella" - varieties "Amfora", "Azure", "Kamchadalka", "Gerda", "Leningrad Giant", "Pamyat Gizzyuka", "Parabelskaya", "Tomichka".
In order for your work not to be useless, you need to be especially careful when choosing a planting material. It is best to buy seedlings that are 2–3 years old. Do not buy honeysuckle with an open root system, choose in pots. The leaves on the twigs should have a glossy and healthy shine, there should be no signs of damage by insects or diseases. But you can plant a crop in the spring and autumn.
Choosing a place
Honeysuckle "Cinderella", as you understood from the description of the variety, is a very non-capricious shrub. But still, so that the harvest was of higher quality, and there were more fruits, choose a place where there will be a lot of sun, where you can easily water the plantings. The soil should not be acidic and hard. Check the soil with litmus paper. The pH level should be in the range of 6.5-7.
So, you have chosen a place, now it needs to be cleared of weeds, to dig up. The distance between neighboring bushes should not be less than 1.5 meters. Cinderella honeysuckle grows fast. Remember and sorta-pollinators, their seedlings, you must also buy and plant at the same time. Otherwise, the harvest you can not get.
Tip! During site preparation, spill it with boiling water with manganese to kill the pathogenic flora and drive off the rodents.
So, using litmus paper, you checked the acidity. If your soil is acidic, then it is either lime throughout the site during digging, or you can pour a liter of wood ash into each well. The pits must be made about 40 cm deep so that the entire root fits there freely and the root neck is 1 cm higher from the surface.
The soil that you dug out of the hole, you need to mix with a bucket of humus or compost. You fall asleep part of this soil, about a third of the pit, and then water well. It is also worth noting that if you have heavy ground, then part of the sand is also added here.
Remove our seedling and place it carefully in the hole, remember that the root neck should be left above the surface. If you could not find the honeysuckle in the pot, but bought it with an open root system, then first you need to soak it in the root formation stimulator - “Kornevin”, “Epin” for half an hour. Now you fall asleep the hole, you stamp. Once again water the planting. So do all the bushes.
Departure after landing
In spring or autumn, you plant the Cinderella honeysuckle, it does not matter, you can put mulch under it, it will retain heat and moisture. Straw or sawdust is suitable for this. In the first year, seedlings need to be monitored very carefully - water as soon as the soil dries, so that they can quickly take root. Landings should not be bothered by weeds. The soil should be loosened for breathability.
Important! Honeysuckle is a crop whose roots are located rather superficially, be careful when tilling the soil.
The first two years of the shrubs enough nutrients that they will receive from the feeding, which you brought. In the third year of life, two times per season, begin to apply nitrogen fertilizer based on chicken manure, which is diluted 1/20. Water the bushes in the evening before flowering and after fruiting at the root, the infusion should be kept for 1-2 days. Also once a summer, about in the middle of it, the bushes are poured on with an infusion of ash — 100 grams of water on a bucket of water.
Tip! Ash infusion can be used for spraying - this is an excellent prevention of diseases and pests.
Pruning honeysuckle varieties "Cinderella" spend every year, removing all the branches that rub, the curves growing inward, broken. All the rest is also shortened by a third length. After seven years, you need to make a rejuvenating pruning, which will help the shrubs to begin to bear fruit abundantly.
Every year, part of the branches need to be shortened
This agricultural technology is simple but effective. You can use it to harvest a good crop, and decorate the landscape on the site.
Correct planting honeysuckle "Cinderella" on the site
The choice of the site for this wonderful berry plant should be taken seriously, because the future harvest and the taste of the fruit depend on where in the garden it grows.
The soil is preferable friable, nutritious and moisture-consuming, slightly acid. Honeysuckle loves sunny places, the number of fruit buds will increase significantly in the heated area. A slightly shaded area will do as well, but remember that even then the harvest will decrease somewhat.
Note! Since the Cinderella honeysuckle has compact dimensions, it will look great as a green hedge or a high curb.
Here you are “killing” several birds with one stone: you have a green low fence and tasty and healthy berries.
When choosing a seedling in a store or horticultural center, give preference to instances that have reached two or three years of age.
The root system must be closed, and the plant itself is placed in a special container. When planting, take into account the ability of bushes to grow, so the distance between seedlings should be kept at least one and a half or two meters.
Planting seedlings can be made both in the spring and in the autumn. But, landing pits should be prepared for a few days. How to carry out the preparation of the landing pit:
- The width and depth of the hole should not be less than 45 cm. Make the upper soil is thrown in one direction and the lower soil is laid in the other. It is necessary to mix the earth with different components.
- Top soil should be mixed with a compost bucket and a liter of wood ash. Mix components thoroughly, lay in a hole and water well. At this stage, the preparation is completed.
- After the soil has been properly prepared, remove the seedling from the container and gently straighten the root system for soaking it in an aqueous solution with the addition of Appin for half an hour.
- In the middle of the planting hole we prepare a hole for the roots, which should be equal to their size, and we plant a plant.
- Carefully sprinkle the seedling with primer so that there is no space between the roots. It is fashionable to slightly tamp the soil. All landings must be watered with warm water.
- The seedling is not allowed to penetrate; place the plant in such a way that the root neck is flush with the ground.
Thus, provided that all these simple rules are followed, you will help your seedlings to adapt more quickly to a new place, after which the plants will quickly grow and grow stronger.
Honeysuckle begins to bear fruit quite early, it is one of the earliest berry bushes. Since the variety is prone to shattering fruit, spread nonwoven fabric under the bush, so you better save the crop.
Cinderella is this universal honeysuckle, it dries well and is used as an additive to tea, it is frozen for the winter, it is boiled with jam and compotes and jams are prepared. Berries have vitamins trace elements, they are used in many diseases and serve as an excellent prevention.
Honeysuckle literally broke into Russian gardens! Even 20 years ago, no one even thought about this berry as a garden plant. After all, honeysuckle is a forest dweller.
What does she do in our suburban areas?
• It gives us a wonderful harvest of extremely tasty, vitamin berries.
• Perfectly decorates landscape design with its person.
• Serves as an excellent remedy for all kinds of ailments.
• Significantly expands the diet.
Today's "cultivated" honeysuckle is the pride of Russian breeders. She took a worthy place in our gardens and at our table.
So, the most delicious and popular varieties of honeysuckle
Wilig honeysuckle variety
River Viligathat in the Magadan region, gave the name to this wonderful variety of honeysuckle. “Viliga” is cultivated by Moscow breeders for cultivation in the Siberian regions and withstands temperatures up to 50 degrees, unpretentious and poorly showered. The height of the bush reaches 2 meters with uncompressed landing. The berries contain organic acids and are very rich in vitamins C, P, PP, A. “Vilinga” has elongated-cylindrical fruits up to 3 cm long, refreshing and surprisingly tasty, with characteristic tartness. Productivity - up to 2.5 kg of fruits from the bush.
Honeysuckle variety "Gzhelka"
"Gzhelka»Ripens later than other varieties of honeysuckle and is resistant to return frost during the flowering period. If you plant "Gzhelka" in the open, the bushes can blow up to a height of two meters. If the planting thickens, the bushes will be undersized, but this will not affect the yield at all. "Gzhelku" is used to decorate the garden. Large dark green leaves of the shrub, could not be more suitable for the design of hedges in landscape design. Gzhelka is a universal variety, two in one is a hedge and a magnificent sweet berry with a tartness characteristic of honeysuckle. Yield is up to 2.5 kg of berries from a bush.
Honeysuckle variety "Cinderella"
"Cinderella" - a great worker. She begins to bear fruit in the second year after planting. It refers to the early ripening species of honeysuckle. He likes to coexist with the bushes varieties "Leningrad Giant" and "Amphora." Low bush - up to 0.7 meters, with thin shoots, without pubescence. The berry has a pleasant sour-sweet taste with the smell of strawberries. The fruits of the "Cinderella" is not large, with a delicate blue and thin peel. They are famous for healing properties and rich content of vitamins P and C. “Cinderella” is called a princess among honeysuckle, because she has a refined taste and extremely fragrant. Productivity - from 1.5 to 3 kg of fruit from a bush.
Honeysuckle variety "Morena"
"Moraine" - variety of Pavlovsk selection. Under the conditions of Moscow and the Moscow region, “Morena” ripens a week earlier than other varieties of honeysuckle, but the berries remain on the bushes for a long time and do not crumble. The bush is medium high, with a squat crown and bright green leaves. "Morena" pleases us with fragrant fruits, with a tart-sweet taste, without bitterness. The skin is thin, translucent. The berries are very large, up to 3 cm long, so it is easy and pleasant to collect “Morena” from the bush. But it does not apply to high-yielding varieties. For the season gives up to 1.5 kg. berries from the bush.
Honeysuckle variety "Blue Bird"
"Blue bird" descended from its wild Kamchatka fellow. Breeding of this culture was carried out at the Siberian Horticultural Research Institute. "Blue Bird" - honeysuckle early maturation, very unpretentious and almost not subject to disease. Bring the harvest begins in the 3rd year after planting, fruiting lasts 20-25 years. The shape of the crown of the shrub is rounded, vigorous growth, massive. Blue-blue berries, elongated, weighing 0.9-1.2 grams, with a pronounced wax coating. Blue Bird has a soft-mild taste, without sourness specific for honeysuckle. It has a high sugar content (6.4%). Productivity - from 1.5 to 2.5 kg of berries from a bush.
Amphora honeysuckle variety
"Amphora" comes from Kamchatka wild honeysuckle and is suitable for growing in cold regions of Russia. Medium ripening. The bush is low, up to 1.5 meters thick, rounded crown. Planted "Amphora" is recommended next to the "Morena", "Gzhelkoy", "Altair". Fruit "Amphora" in the third year after landing. The berries are large, up to 2.2 cm long, have a beautiful jug-shaped shape and are covered with a strong skin. Well transported. The fruits of "Amphora" have a sweet-sour taste with a weak bitterness. Berry is ideal for homemade blanks. Productivity - from 0.8 to 1.3 kg of fruits from a bush.
Honeysuckle variety "Altair"
Altair - variety of honeysuckle early maturation of the famous Pavlovsk selection. But in the weather conditions of Moscow and the Moscow Region, the fruits ripen a week later than other varieties of honeysuckle. "Altair" comes from the Kamchatka population of wild honeysuckle, so it is very unpretentious in the care and rarely gets sick. The shrub has a dense squat spherical crown and reaches a height of 1.5 meters. Berries of medium size, have a pronounced wax coating. Altair is one of the most delicious honeysuckle species, the fruits are juicy, soft, very sweet, with characteristic tartness. Productivity - up to 2.5 kg of berries from the bush.
Honeysuckle variety "Dolphin"
"Dolphin" - representative of the seaside honeysuckle population. Medium ripening. More suitable for cultivation in the eastern regions of Russia. The shrub blooms twice a season - in spring and autumn, therefore its winter hardiness is reduced. Bush up to 1.5 meters has a rounded densely growing crown. Shoots drooping, with wide concave leaves. The berries are large, cylindrical. The top of the berries in shape resembles a dolphin smile (hence the name). The surface of the fruit is slightly nodular, the skin is rather thick. The berries are not large, but grow abundantly and very tasty. The yield is high - up to 3 kg of fruit from the bush.
Honeysuckle variety "Leningrad Giant"
"Leningrad Giant" grown in Pavlovsk laboratory VIR and is one of the most high-yielding varieties of honeysuckle. Shrub strong-growing, more than 1.5 meters high. Begins to bear fruit from the 3rd decade of June to the 4th decade of July, fruit ripening is uneven, shedding is weak. Ягоды располагаются на ветках крупными гроздьями, их очень легко собирать, они недостаточно сладкие, но идеально подходят для лечебных целей и домашних заготовок. Лучшими соседями-опылителями для «Ленинградского Великана» являются «Синяя Птица», «Гжелка», «Голубое веретено».The yield of this variety of honeysuckle - up to 3 kg of berries from the bush.
Honeysuckle variety "Kamchadalka"
"Kamchadalka" - high-yielding and frost-resistant representative of the Siberian selection. This variety of honeysuckle has an average maturity. A shrub up to 1.5 meters high, with a dense conical crown and large, elongated leaves, can elevate the exterior. Looks great in front gardens and hedges. "Kamchadalka" does not like sudden changes in temperature and grows well in temperate climates. Her berries are large, elongated, long, up to 2.7 cm, with delicate pulp and finest skin. Productivity - from 2.7 to 3.5 kg. berries from the bush.
In general - all varieties of honeysuckle are good. With minimal labor and cash investments, honeysuckle brings a lot of benefits. She is tasty, healthy, unpretentious, beautiful and very friendly. In other words, it adapts well among other plants of your garden. How to plant and grow honeysuckle, read the article "This wonderful honeysuckle ... planting and care."