A variety of carrot varieties are planted annually on homestead and summer cottages in Siberia. Weather conditions and soil characteristics determine the time of planting. Each gardener chooses the optimal time for sowing seeds according to the climate and soil properties.
The specifics of growing carrots in the Siberian regions
Sharply continental climate causes sufficient warming of the soil in May, early June, when it comes time to plant carrots in Siberia. Residents of different regions prepare warm ridges. Carrots are by no means a thermophilic culture; they develop well in the range of up to 25 ° C. Breeders also make their contribution by conducting the zoning of the most popular carrot varieties that can be planted in Siberia.
- Vegetable seeds are enough +4 0 С to nack up and give a sprout an opportunity to break through to the light.
- Root seedlings are able to withstand slight frosts down to -4 0 C, but lower thermometer values significantly impair vegetable properties and storage capacity.
- It is important to choose high-quality seeds, which would have enough supply of nutrients for the formation of the root system of carrot sprouts. Only having formed its own roots, the sprout draws its food from the soil.
- In cold ground, germination slows down. Therefore, it is impossible to hurry with the sowing or it is necessary to work with warm ridges.
- With prolonged exposure to uncomfortable low summer temperatures, root crops are bent and pale.
- Not recommended when planting carrots in Siberia, seeds buried too deep.
Choice of varieties
Based on the rich experience of enthusiastic vegetable growers, who give advice on how to grow and when to plant carrots in Siberia, the most popular varieties are determined. Among their diversity, orienting themselves, choose those that can be sown before winter for consuming vitamin products in early summer. Or prefer carrots that ripen to autumn for long-term storage. It is best to select varieties for a guaranteed harvest for Siberia and the Urals, where heat can be only 2-2.5 months.
The climate of most regions of Siberia dictates the choice of mid-season varieties for winter use, so that vegetables can ripen well and gain weight. Carrots of average terms are planted by the majority of gardeners, because it ripens earlier than 120 days later.
The variety has been growing in the gardens of the whole country for more than 50 years, and has proven itself well in the conditions of Siberia. Nantes are planted and loved for excellent taste, which is not lost until the beginning of spring. Sugar content reaches 8.5%, up to 19 mg of carotene. The first carrots are pulled out one and a half to two months after sowing the seeds. After three months, you can completely clean, but prefer, if possible, hold the roots in the ground for another week or two. Carrots grow up to 15-20 cm with good cultivation of land, weighs an average of 150 g. From 1 m 2 collect up to 6 kg. Seeds are sown not only in spring but also in autumn.
Large carrots, from 70 to 200 g, up to 15 cm long, contain 7% sugars and 12 mg of carotene. Productivity reaches 8 kg from 1 m 2. Fully ripens by the end of the third month of cultivation. Plant for storage in the spring, and also in the fall to regale on large carrots in the middle of summer.
Carrots yield 9 kg from a bed of 1 m 2. The average weight is 160 g. Sugar content is high 9%, contains 14 mg of carotene. Juicy root vegetable is often used to make fresh juices and baby food. Ripening accounts for the beginning or the middle of the fourth month after sowing. Stored long. Many growers are advised to plant a variety before winter.
Carrots ripen after three months of growing season, contains 7-9% of total sugar. Reaches 15-20 cm, weighs 130-200 g, yield - 6.5 kg / 1 m 2. The shelf is good, during storage it accumulates the carotene content up to 21-28 mg. It is also recommended to plant a cold-resistant variety before winter.
Cold-resistant mid-season variety, has earned praise from gardeners of Siberia, who prefer this carrot to plant in the fall. Root crops growing on peat soils are distinguished by a rich color, excellent taste and large size - up to 15-17 cm, weight 150-200 g. Contains up to 11% fructose, carotene - 17-22 mg. May please with a yield of 5 to 10 kg / 1 m 2. Stored long.
Nastena sweet tooth
Medium early carrots are already suitable for 78 days after sowing. Large, up to 18 cm fruits, weighing 150 g. Root crops are sweet and juicy. A good grade for the preparation of fresh juice because of the sweetness and pleasant taste. Stored long.
Queen of autumn
Late carrots are planted in Siberia in Altai breeding, which ripens on the 115-130th day. This is a large root vegetable, up to 20-25 cm in length, weighing from 200 g, with 1 m 2 it is collected 9 kg. Sweet variety: sugar content 11%, high content of carotene: 17 mg. Stored until next summer. Cold-resistant, suitable for autumn sowing.
Siberian gardeners also plant varieties of Altai shortened, Altai gourmet, Sonata, Samson, Russian giant, various hybrids of foreign breeding that are offered by the distribution network.
Each gardener decides which variety to plant in the fall - for summer use, and which spring, for later storage. In spring in Siberia it is especially important not to rush to plant carrots. Early ripening varieties will ripen by the end of August, even sown later. If they are overexposed in the fall in order to be better kept, the root crops crack, release additional roots, which worsens both the type of carrot and the taste. Having bought seeds, you should plan which variety to plant when depending on the length of the growing season.
In Siberia, carrots are sown before winter, when frosts begin. The optimal period begins in the second decade of October. Temperatures are steadily falling, and there is a guarantee that shoots will not appear in the fall.
- The best soils are light neutral or slightly acid sandy loams and loams.
- Plot on a hill in the spring quickly freed from the snow.
- In advance, in early October or September, it is necessary to loosen the area well, sprinkle the complex fertilizers and draw the grooves 2 cm deep.
- The beds are covered before sowing, when the soil freezes. In the capacity of gaining ground for powdering the seeds in the frosty period.
- Planted podzimnuyu carrots with dry seeds on frozen soil. Sprinkle with stored ground, cover 10 cm with a layer of mulch.
The advantages of the method are that:
- products are ready 2-3 weeks earlier
- resistant to diseases
- grows bigger.
Experienced growers advise not to rush to the sowing dates. In spring, plant carrots in Siberia should be when the ground warms up well. If seeds are sown at the end of April, weeds will grow faster in the garden. Weed seeds lack 6 0 C heat. Because of them, the shoots of carrots may be lost. Mid-season carrots ripen well, if sown in the second decade of May.
The advantages of traditional seva:
- the harvest persists until spring,
- high content of nutrients in the fruit.
The beloved middle-ripening and early carrot varieties, which we would like to preserve for late winter and spring consumption, are planted in Siberia later, until the beginning of June. Carrots quickly germinate in the warm and moist earth after rains and develop well. Late summer crops under roots are buried in areas where they grew early spring vegetables: salads or radishes. In summer, planting carrots is also better because during the growing season of plants the annoying pest, the carrot fly, reduces its activity. Root crops suffer less from its larvae.
They try to choose for the carrots the area where they grew onions, cucumbers, zucchini, potatoes, cabbage, tomatoes, beans, peas or cereals. Because of common pests and nutrient use from the soil, carrots are not planted after parsnips, dill, parsley, fennel or cumin. Carrots sprout in 10-12 days, if the soil is warm, which happens in Siberia by the middle, end of May or even in early June. There is an old way to determine the readiness of the soil for sowing cold-resistant crops. If a compressed earth crumbles in the palm of your hand, you can start work.
- Light-caring carrots, the plant can not be planted on the site, which is shaded by trees or buildings.
- Root crops have high requirements for soil looseness. On light soils, they grow smooth and without curvature. Sand, compost, peat, or sawdust spilled with boiling water are added to clay soils.
- The depth of digging the plot where the carrots are planted is at least 30 cm.
- High acidity primers, which are often found in Siberia, are lime, scattering 300 g of dolomite flour or lime before autumn plowing.
- In the fall, the beds are fertilized with a bucket of humus or compost per 1 m 2 and 0.5 l of wood ash.
- At the same time use 10 g of potassium salt and 25 g of superphosphate.
- When planting carrots in different regions of Siberia, bulk beds are often made where water will not stagnate.
Get a good harvest, carefully considering the duration of the growing season of the crop and possible dates of sowing and harvesting of root crops. To do this, you need to know the features of the variety, which are indicated on the package with seeds, and acquire the seeds of proven producers.
Choosing the right time for planting carrots
Experienced Siberian gardeners know very well when to plant carrots. For planting vegetable fit two seasons: spring and autumn. Both options have their advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of autumn carrot planting over spring:
- Save time by eliminating the need for soaking and drying seeds,
- Carrots sown in autumn grow larger than spring,
- The fruits are highly resistant to diseases,
- Autumn planting is intended for earlier harvest.
But before you make your choice in the direction of this option, you need to consider that such carrots are absolutely not subject to storage.
Advantages of the spring landing:
- Ability to store root vegetables
- High content of vitamins in carrots,
If, after carefully analyzing the above factors, you still tend to the first option, then you must take into account the basic principles of the Siberian carrot planting at this time of year.
You must choose those varieties of carrots, which are designed for podzimney planting. Also, pay special attention to the exact time of sowing. The most favorable period for these purposes is considered to be mid-November. Having planted the seeds at this time, you will be able to avoid the germination of the planting material ahead of time. To insure and not to stay at a loss it is recommended to plant more seeds than during spring planting.
Before you start planting carrots should feed the soil with mineral fertilizers. Potassium salt (10 grams) and superphosphates (20 - 24 grams) are ideal for these purposes. Special attention should be paid to the place of sowing of seeds. It is not recommended to plant carrots in the same place two times in a row. It will be much better for the harvest if you plant out planting where cucumbers, potatoes or onions previously grew.
The soil on which carrots will soon grow should not be acidic. Otherwise, it must be enriched with wood ash or sawdust. Such a simple procedure can significantly increase the looseness of land resources.
A good owner never forgets about the secrets of growing carrots, namely:
- Before sowing carrots, make sure the planting material is dry,
- Pits for planting should not be smaller than 5 centimeters,
- Seeds that have already been planted should be filled up with warm soil and sand prepared in advance.
- In winter, be sure to ensure that the carrot beds were generously sprinkled with loose snow,
- Harvesting is carried out no later than June.
Despite the fact that spring sowing does not give as large fruits as autumn, it is still more characteristic of Siberia. Such a landing, in principle, is not significantly different from the autumn. The difference is that seeds require careful preparation and drying.
You can start the sowing procedure in April. Seeds should be arranged as evenly as possible. To do this, they can be mixed with sand or sawdust. Also, for convenience, gardeners glue planting material to a strip of paper with the help of paste. This option of planting can save you a lot of time, and the same weeds will be much less.
Optimum carrot varieties for the climate of Siberia
The particular climate of this region makes it impossible to “accelerate” strongly when choosing a variety of carrots. There are special varieties of carrots for growing in Siberia:
- Altai shortened. This carrot is good to eat, both raw and processed. The fruits of this plant do not differ in large size, only 80 - 120 grams, but they can be stored for a long time. This variety is more suitable for spring disembarkation,
- Nastya - sweet tooth . Sowing of this variety is best done in May. It is recommended for squeezing juice, as it has a rich sweet taste,
- Dayana. This type of carrot is more suitable for winter landing. This carrot has a high yield and size of the fruit. Suitable for making baby food due to its sweet taste,
- Variety "Queen of Autumn". Suitable for both autumn and spring disembarkation. Fruits differ in red - orange color and a plain surface. Suitable for both raw and long-term storage with subsequent processing.
Siberian carrot cultivation
This vegetable is not considered a very heat-loving plant. Its seeds germinate even at +4 degrees, and at 20–30 ° C, it grows normally. Even young carrot sprouts can withstand small frosts without any destructive consequences, so the Siberian conditions are quite suitable for growing this healthy and tasty vegetable.
Too low or high temperatures affect the color and size of the fruit.. The color of the root turns paleand growth slows down a lot if the temperature is above 25 degrees. At low temperatures, the fruit loses its attractiveness and becomes clumsy, and the color becomes less saturated.
The selection of seeds of good quality is very important for the conditions of Siberia. Small seeds have a small supply of essential nutrients that help the plant in the formation of the root system after sowing. In the meantime, the root system has not formed a seed uses its own nutrients. And only with the appearance of the roots, the plant begins to receive the necessary nutrients from the soil.
In the Siberian region, the period of germination is slightly longer than in the southern expanses. Therefore, in order to germinate, the seeds need more nutrients. It is not recommended to plant them too deep in the Siberian conditions.
Long winters also complicate the task. Therefore deadlines for disembarking you need to choose very carefully so that the newly returned frosts do not destroy the seeds. Although experienced gardeners manage to grow quite successfully in the Siberian area not only popular cereals and vegetables, but even heat-loving melons and watermelons. Therefore, growing carrots does not seem such an impossible task.
It should be noted the incredible usefulness of carrots. Therefore, it is not surprising that it is used to prepare a great variety of dishes. Use it fresh, stewed, canned and baked. And many freeze already grated carrots. Although it is not the basis of the daily menu, almost no dish can do without this healthy vegetable.
The demand for carrots in cooking is due to its high content of vitamins and minerals. Many people know that carrots are very useful for the eyes, as they are full of vitamin “A”. It is also rich in beta carotene, iodine, and calcium..
Suitable varieties for Siberia
A lot of hybrids and varieties of carrots feel quite comfortable in the climatic conditions of Siberia. In terms of ripening carrot varieties are divided into three main types:
- Early maturity - the ripening period is 80–100 days.
- Mid-season - after 100–125 days, you can collect fruit.
- Late - full maturation occurs no less than 120 days.
Late or mid-season varieties are not bad for the Siberian region. Of all the variety of carrot varieties that are particularly resistant to the "harsh" conditions of the north and at the same time have high yields, the following can be identified:
This grade of carrots belongs to a mid-season look. In the warm summer period you can harvest three months after the first shoots. You can sow seeds in early spring or in winter. With proper storage, such carrots are preserved until the spring itself, practically without losing their excellent taste.
Variety Losinoostrovskaya 13
Mid-season variety whose fruits ripen three months after the first shoots. The carrot has a regular and beautiful shape. The fruits are crispy and juicy. Seeds can be planted in spring or autumn. The length of the fruit is 13-15 centimeters, and the weight can reach 160 grams. This variety of carrots has a good ability to accumulate beta-carotene in the winter. Поэтому, если овощ определённое время находится на хранении, то от этого он становится ещё полезнее. Морковь имеет долгий срок хранения и очень приятный вкус.
Это высокоурожайный среднеспелый сорт. Спелые плоды можно собирать через сто дней после появления ростков. Засев семян можно начинать в мае. Carrots grow very well in open soil. Seeds are buried to a shallow depth (about 2 centimeters). Fruits are sweet and juicy, therefore they are well suited for fresh consumption or for making juice.
Also mid-season carrots whose fruits can be collected 100 days after the first shoots. The yield of this variety is quite high, and juicy fruits have a sweetish taste. Vegetable is very well kept in winter. Eat this carrot fresh, and also subjected to heat treatment.
When planting carrots in Siberia
Carrots in Siberia can be planted in spring or autumn. The choice of planting time depends on the gardener himself, namely when he wants to harvest. For early ripening of a vegetable, seeds should be planted before the onset of winter. Although, it should be noted that such carrots will very quickly lose their freshness and will not be suitable for winter storage. Planted in the winter root vegetables are usually consumed after harvesting in fresh form. But the autumn planting has its advantages, which are as follows:
- Resistance to diseases.
- The rapid ripening of fruits.
- Quite large sizes of root crops.
- No need to soak and dry the seeds.
- Simplified sowing process.
A carrot planted in spring has a much longer shelf life and remains tasty and juicy until spring. Although this method of landing has its drawbacks, namely:
- Seeds before sowing need to be processed in several stages.
- In the process of ripening carrots have to lead an active weed control.
Spring landing in Siberia begins in early April. And to facilitate the task of caring for the beds initially get rid of weeds. It is advisable to start this procedure immediately after the snow melts. A prepared planting bed for seeds is covered with a transparent polyethylene film so that the weeds quickly grow, and then they are ruthlessly destroyed.
After this bed is covered with a dark film, which is removed immediately before planting carrots. Further, the soil needs to be loosened and you can start sowing seeds. To do this, they must be placed in shallow grooves, watered and buried, lightly rammed the ground. At this time, you need a white film to cover the soil. This process of planting facilitates further care of the beds, since the appearance of weeds is much reduced.
For autumn planting you need to pick the appropriate varieties of carrots. On the package with seeds, it is usually indicated for which particular planting the contents are intended. Usually, autumn sowing is done from mid-November. And if you do it earlier, the carrot will rise before the onset of cold weather and just freeze in the future. Therefore, for fall insurance, they sow more seeds than in spring.
Spring and autumn plantings are also different methods of processing carrot seeds. In the fall they are planted in dry form without preparatory procedures. In the spring, however, you need to work a little to rid the seeds of essential oils, after which they are dried.
It should be noted that the carrot springs long, but to speed up this process seeds are soaked or germinated. To properly prepare carrot seeds for planting, you must do the following:
Mechanical selection of seeds
Seeds should be placed in warm water, and then mix thoroughly. Unusable seeds, after some time, will float. Then the excess water from the tank is drained, and the seeds have to stay in the water for another day, after which they need to be dried and sown.
Seed heat treatment
This procedure will increase germination, and at the same time destroy possible infections and diseases. Seeds are placed in hot water (about 50 degrees) in a gauze bag, and then taken out, cooled in running water and dried.
Day seeds are kept in oxygenated warm water. Then 20 minutes pickled in a solution of manganese, washed with water and dried.
We process seeds with growth promoters
For this, seeds are soaked with solutions of special preparations. Often used such as:
In the process of carrot care, timely watering, regular loosening of the soil, and additional feeding are required. Do not forget about the pests that need to be mercilessly destroyed.
After the emergence of young sprouts carrots need to thin out and loosen the soil, which is desirable to do after the rain or just moisten the soil. To exclude the formation of soil crust, carry out mulching with peat. Carrots do not tolerate drought, so the soil should be wet, but in moderation.
During the period of formation of the root itself, the plant needs regular watering as never before. In hot weather, carrots need to be watered no less than 3 times a week, but not recommended. As the root grows more water will be needed, but the regularity of watering in this case should be reduced.
As you can see, determine the time of planting carrots in Siberia is quite simple. The main thing is to choose a suitable variety, as well as take into account the weather conditions in the region. And remember that the autumn planting of seeds should be made before the start of frosts, so that the plants do not have time to ascend before the arrival of winter, otherwise they will die. And for spring planting, you need to choose a time when the threat of frost has completely passed.
If you follow these simple rules, then you will collect a high and tasty harvest, even in the “harsh” conditions of Siberia.
Growing carrots in Siberia
Carrots - suitable vegetable for growing in Siberia. It can germinate even at 5 ° C.
Young sprouts are resistant to frost. But low temperature affects the color and color of the fruit. It becomes clumsy and pale orange, so it is important to spud and cover the culture.
In the Siberian regions, vegetables sprout longer than in the southern regions, so choosing a good planting material is important for a bountiful harvest. Planting seeds deep into the ground is not recommended: they will not germinate. When planting carrots in Siberia, it is determined by focusing on frosts.
Choice varieties for Siberia
A large number of hybrids and varieties of carrots are suitable for Siberia. In terms of ripening, all varieties of vegetable crops are divided into 3 types.
For a harsh winter, mid-season and late species are suitable, which are distinguished by their resistance to northern weather conditions. These include varieties:
- Dayan. Vegetables are tasty, juicy, with a sweet taste. Under good weather conditions, 9 kg of crop per 1 m² is obtained. Root crop of medium size with a sharp end, weighing about 150 g
- Nantes. Mid-season view, fruits are harvested 90 days after germination. Seeds are sown in winter or early spring. The variety is suitable for long-term storage, does not lose useful properties until spring. Root crop reaches 14 cm in length, has a rounded ending.
- Carrots Losinoostrovskaya 13. Has a conical shape. Vegetables are juicy and crispy, 13-15 cm long and weighing about 160 g. The yield is high - 8 kg per 1 m². Seeds are sown in spring or autumn. From long storage carrots accumulate a useful substance - beta-carotene.
- Incomparable. Fruits are tapered, rounded at the bottom. The color of vegetables is orange-red. The length of the fruit - about 17 cm, weight - 180 g. Suitable for winter storage.
Most types of carrots are suitable for diet. Hybrids, well fructifying in Siberia, - Abrino F1, Canada and Bersky F1. For large root crops include varieties Giant Ross, Children's, Emperor and Lakomka.
If you grow carrots in a greenhouse, early-ripe species will also grow well in the north. These include varieties Alenka, Amsterdam, Belgian White and Carotel Paris.
Terms of planting carrots in Siberia
For the autumn planting choose frost-resistant varieties
To plant carrots in Siberia is recommended both in spring and in autumn. The time of planting depends on the time of ripening of vegetables. To make the carrot ripen quickly and early, seeds are sown before the onset of winter. Such fruits are used only fresh, for long-term storage, they are unsuitable.
Speaking of Siberia, most people imagine severe frosts and snow drifts. Meanwhile, everything is not quite so. Of course, it is rather cold in Siberia, but there are no such extreme conditions that it is impossible to plant carrots, beets or some other vegetables. In addition, the weather tends to change. Winter in the region is much milder than it was a hundred years ago. Just like in the rest of the territory of the Russian Federation, the year may turn out to be warmer or colder. For comparison, it is enough to take at least information for the last 3 years: 2016, 2017, 2018.
Siberia is a huge region of Eurasia, stretching from the shores of the North-Ice Ocean to Mongolia, the PRC and Kazakhstan. It is clear that not every part will be equally successful in growing carrots.
Carrots are grown in Siberia
In Western Siberia
This part of the region has the mildest climate. The Altai Mountains act as a huge natural barrier that does not let in the cold Kazakh winds. Vasyugan swamps, stretching for hundreds of kilometers, moisten the air well, making the summer heat not so unbearable.
The air temperature in winter varies from -15 ºС to -30 ºС. In the summer, you can count on a temperature of +15 to +35 ºС. In such conditions it is possible to sow a large number of fruit heat-loving plants, including vegetables. It is important to ensure that they are sown at a certain time by the breeders and technologists, then you can hope for good results.
In Eastern Siberia
Although the total annual temperature here is only 0 degrees, in winter this part is much colder than in the west of the region. The sun in winter may not appear for a whole month (the so-called polar nights). Snow begins to fall on the 20th of October. Summer is quite sunny. The temperature of the air can warm up to +15 ºС, but it rains rarely.
Thus, planting vegetables with late ripening does not make sense here. The fruits may simply not have time to ripen. For summer, the owners can choose those varieties of carrots and onions that love the sun, but do not require heat.
This is actually a tundra. Differs terrain the most stringent conditions. Summer in the north of Siberia almost never happens. To -40 ºС, and even below the thermometer mark falls in winter. On some days of summer, the air can warm up to +10 ºС. Of course, there can be no talk about any sowing. Although breeders have taken care of frost-resistant shrubs and vegetables, however, these simply have no chance of being planted, because the land thaws very slowly here and then for a short period.
How to choose a period
Siberian gardeners know when to plant carrots in Siberia. For this class, they devote spring and autumn. However, you should not rush too much: in the beginning of spring frosts can still occur, which will freeze the plant, preventing it from growing to the required size.
Important! Seedlings of carrots are able to withstand up to -4 ºС. However, a temperature of -8 ºС will cause a change in the composition of the vegetable, and the starch will turn into sugar. Therefore, carrot can not be stored for a long time.
The most successful dates for sowing vegetables depend on the particular variety, the desired storage time and readiness for planting the soil itself.
How to grow and care for carrots in Siberia
This is the most common option in Siberia. Although the fruits, as local farmers say, will not be as big as after the autumn planting, they can be preserved and frozen for a long time.
Experts call the best months for planting carrots April and May. Need to focus on temperature. The air should warm up as much as possible, and the soil should be dried. If the soil thaws for a long period, parasites, bacteria and viruses will begin to multiply in the soil. It is imperative that in such a period it is necessary to treat the soil with special antiseptics.
Important! It is better not to plant carrots and onions, if the ground is still very wet and more like a swamp, otherwise the seeds will rot.
Sow the vegetable better in an open and sunny area. Carrot does not like the shadow, as well as the same place. Planting material is often planted on a plot where other vegetables used to grow.
About a week before sowing you should take care of the soil. The bed is leveled, and the soil is watered with warm water. As gardeners indicate in their videos, the seeds themselves must first be cleared of essential oils. To do this, they must be thoroughly rinsed with very warm water (up to +50 ºС) with water, then dried in a natural way.
Seeds are important to sow evenly. Therefore, they are sometimes mixed with sawdust or pasted on paper.
Seeds of carrots are glued on paper, sown
Calling the benefits of planting carrots in the springtime, Siberians point to:
- maximum saturation of vegetables with vitamins,
- long storage period.
But the main disadvantage is the need to deal with weeds, because they are particularly actively growing in the spring.
Planting carrots in autumn
In Siberia, they often plant carrots and onions in the fall. Harvest can be collected next year. The best time to pick these vegetables is April-May. Often the carrot fruit becomes the only fresh vegetable during this period. If autumn is warm, sowing carrot seeds is also allowed in mid-November. However, most gardeners do not take risks and sow at the end of October.
For good yields you need to take care of proper soil preparation.
Be sure to use dressing, for example:
Important! Organic fertilizers (humus, manure, compost) are not used in the autumn period.
Unlike spring sowing, autumn does not include seed washing. They should be dry. Although the carrot seeds are very small, they are best planted at a great distance from each other, so that they do not have to remove part of the beds. The optimal distance between autumn fruits is 15 cm. Seeds are implanted into the ground in autumn at a depth of 2 cm.
Some owners try to cover the carrot for the winter with sacking. So it should grow all winter, you can open a vegetable after thawing snow. However, this is not a mandatory procedure.
Some Siberians prefer the autumn planting of carrots, identifying its advantages:
- the fruits themselves are significantly larger in size than the spring ones,
- there is no need for preliminary preparation of seeds,
- autumn fruits are more resistant to diseases and pests,
- no weeds that take power from the fetus.
Astrologers also give their tips on how to plant carrots in spring in Siberia. Warns the lunar calendar from sowing onions and carrots during the full moon. On such days, the root system of the plant is very weak and sensitive to any actions. The land does not give a good harvest. Undesirable is loosening the soil, as well as the dilution of carrots, which have already gone.
Vegetation processes slow down significantly in the days of the new moon. Neither the earth, nor seeds close to a new moon will bring the expected result.
The most favorable period will be the time when the terrestrial satellite gradually begins to decrease in diameter, this is the so-called Moon of decreasing. All the juice from the tops begin to ply in a different direction and the root-crop is saturated with useful elements. Seeds sown at this time, easily go and provides good fruit.
In addition, the astrological forecast also indicates the influence of the constellation into which the moon falls. You can count on a good harvest of carrots and onions if you plant them during the period of activity of signs: Capricorn, Virgo, Taurus. All of them belong to the elements of the Earth.
The best varieties for Siberia
Breeders took care of a good harvest in various parts of the Russian Federation and brought out individual cold-resistant carrot varieties intended for cultivation in Siberia.
The most popular of them are:
- Nastena is a sweet tooth. This carrot variety is best planted in May. It has a sweet taste (hence the name), because it is most often used to get juice,
Rich harvest of carrots in Siberia
- Altai shortened. Used for spring planting. Although the size of the fruit is small (up to 120 grams), they can be stored for a long time,
- Queen of autumn. It can be sown in the autumn and in the winter. Fruits of bright color. Can be stored for a long time, used for processing or preparation of any first or main dishes,
- Dayan. Variety bred for winter planting. The fruits are large and give birth well.
As is clear from the above, carrots can be grown in Siberia in the same way as in the Moscow region or in the Urals. The Siberian crop is resistant to many plant diseases and pests.
When? Planting dates
Many are accustomed to plant carrots as soon as the snow melts and keep it on the garden until autumn harvesting. Practice shows that this is not entirely rational. Early varieties ripen by August, and being in the ground for an extra month, the roots crack, start to grow roots, their taste deteriorates. Therefore, it is more correct to dissolve the timing of planting carrots in time, depending on the variety and purpose.
According to long-term observations, the maturity of the soil occurs in the Central European part - from April 20 to April 30, in the Urals - on May 2, in Siberia and the Northern regions - after May 10. If the earth does not stick to hands, and clods easily crumble, it means that the time of sowing has come.
Наиболее подходящий месяц весенней посадки раннеспелых сортов моркови – апрель, ориентировочно 20-е числа. Спешить не имеет смысла – в холодной земле семена могут пролежать и месяц, в теплой – вылезут за неделю. Первый урожай поспеет к середине лета и пойдет для салатов, свежего потребления, приготовления сока, заготовок на зиму.
Note! When planning areas for carrots, it should be remembered that 7–8 kg of root crops are collected from 1 running meter. Seed consumption per 10m²i - 4-6 grams.
It is possible to accelerate the ripening of an early vegetable for at least two weeks, if you use subwinter seeding. In this case, the beds are prepared in advance, according to the heat. Loosen the soil, make complex fertilizers, if necessary lime. Rows are made along the leveled surface, so that the rains do not erode them, they are covered with a piece of covering material, and in this form they are left until the cold weather.
When planting carrots in the fall, depends on the time of freezing weather. This may be the end of October, the beginning, or even the middle of November. Sow "over the shard." Dry seeds are laid out in frost-clad grooves, covered with loose soil prepared in advance, mulched with a layer of foliage, straw, hay up to 10 cm thick.
In the spring, with the onset of sustainable heat, the bed is freed from mulch and receive early shoots.
Note! In order not to be trapped when planting carrots before winter, choose the appropriate varieties for this. The Russian giant, Shantane 2461, Samson, hybrid of Nantes Semko, will definitely not let you down.
In order to obtain root crops intended for storage, they practice sowing carrots in the last days of May - early June. For these purposes are suitable mid-ripening, and in the southern regions and late varieties. In a warm earth, the seeds will quickly hatch, give amicable shoots. In addition, summer planting have other advantages. For them, you can use the beds freed from early crops - radish, lettuce. By this time, the activity of carrot flies is significantly reduced, respectively, the risk of damage to the root crop by the pest is reduced.
Interesting! Planting carrots on compacted (mixed) beds gives a good result. The main culture is sown in the center, seals along the edges. Friendship with carrots salad, peas, black onions. Practice joint crops with cucumber, tomatoes.
Where? Requirements for soil and crop rotation
Root crops prefer light, crumbly soil. Carrots are no exception, therefore it is best of all possible on loamy and sandy ground. Planting carrots on heavy, clayey soils is undesirable. Bad aeration leads to stagnation of moisture, the appearance of horned specimens, activation of diseases. Fresh manure has the same negative effect. In addition, it contributes to the accumulation in the flesh of the root of nitrates.
For carrots, vegetable crops such as cucumber, cabbage, potatoes, and zucchini are the best precursors. Permissible onions and tomatoes. What can be planted after carrots, we proceed from the rules of crop rotation. These are potatoes, tomatoes, onions and garlic grow well.
Note! If you are unlucky with the site, its structure can and should be improved by introducing all kinds of disintegrators - peat, compost, organic residues, humus.
How? Landing features
In the cultivation of small-seed crops distinguish two difficulties. Firstly, it is difficult to sow them evenly. Secondly, after germination, they require thinning - a monotonous and laborious process. So they invent all sorts of ways to plant carrots in order to eliminate or minimize these problems. Each of them has its pros and cons.
Consider how it is recommended to plant carrots with seeds in the open field with traditional technology. At the heart of - sowing ordinary or processed seeds, without any dilution additives. There are two methods.
- Lowercase On the garden bed with the help of a hoe, a wooden plank marks the rows with an interval of 20 cm, a depth of 1.5–2 cm. The furrow is spilled with water, the bottom is compacted so that the seeds are at the same level and sprout simultaneously. In addition, a dense soil stimulates the formation of capillary moisture, which will feed the seed even in the absence of irrigation. Distribute the seeds as evenly as possible, sprinkle with soil, lightly press.
- The tape method involves a slightly different scheme of planting carrots. Three rows with an interval of 7–8 cm are combined into wide ridges, with a passage 15–40 cm wide.
Pros: fast sowing, the optimal amount of roots after thinning, penetration of root crops for summer consumption.
Cons: requires 2-fold thinning.
If the desire to work without straightening the back, no, the question arises how to sow carrots, so that you do not thin out. There are several options.
- With paste. You will need dishes with a narrow spout - a teapot, a container with a dispenser, a pastry syringe and a viscous liquid in which the seeds are kneaded. It is best prepared on the basis of potato starch (3 tbsp. L./l). 4–6 g of seeds and 4–5 g of fertilizers for vegetables (AVA, Agricola, Sudarushka) are taken for 1 l of jelly. The solution is thoroughly kneaded, poured into the dosing container and slowly spill the rows. After that fall asleep with a thin layer of soil, compacted.
- With sand. The seeds are mixed with coarse sand in the ratio of 1:10, add 1 part of fertilizer, distribute the mixture along the groove. For this technology, the wide-row method is used. Lying arbitrarily, the seeds form a ribbon 12–15 cm wide.
Pros: does not require thinning.
Disadvantages: with poor seed germination, rare seedlings, non-standard root crops are obtained, the risk of lateral shoots formation and cracking is higher.
Many gardeners liked exact sowing methods.
- Landing tape. Regardless of whether the tape is purchased or made by hand, the seeds are initially located at a distance of 4–5 cm from each other, the seedlings do not need thinning, and the root crop is formed in the place reserved for it. Planting carrots on toilet paper is popular, which is quickly destroyed by wetting in the soil and does not interfere with the germ. Glue seeds, using a paste, which is applied with a disposable syringe.
- Markup marker. For this method, you need to make a device with which we will mark the bed. Its essence is that when pressing on the soil, point-like depressions of a given size are formed. The distance between the grooves for the seed depends on your desire - 2-3 cm, if you expect one thinning, 4-6 cm - without penetration. Granular seeds are best for accurate sowing, as they have a high germination capacity - there will not be empty tears in the garden. As a marker use:
- rail with teeth cut along the edge,
- a wooden plate with teeth fixed in a certain order,
- improvised items, for example, a corrugated tray from under the eggs.
Pros: thinning disappears, the roots are not injured from pulling.
Cons: if some of the seeds do not grow, the bed will be thinned, which will lead to uneven ripening, forking of a part of the root crops.
Planting carrots in a liquid way:
Tips for growing.
How to grow carrots in a country plot? Here are some important tips that will help you grow a large number of tasty carrots.
- This crop needs enough sunlight, so choose open spaces for planting.
- Do not forget about the crop rotation, since the placement of the beds in the same place contributes to the depletion of the soil.
Plant carrots can not be where grown such plants as parsley, dill, celery. But tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes will be good forerunners for her.
- Good carrots can be grown from quality seeds, but the time of sowing is important. When choosing a variety, carefully study all the information about it, as the time of fruit ripening depends on it.
- In order to get an early carrot, plant early-ripening varieties in early spring. In this case, it is possible to carry out sowing after the top layer of the earth warms up.
- If you wish to store the crop for a long time, choose a variety with a long ripening period, but you can sow it only with the onset of consistently warm weather.
How to care for carrots.
Carrot care also requires some skills. It is necessary to thin out the seedlings, properly water and add nutrients to the garden. And take care of protection from harmful insects.
Carrots should be grown only on fertile soil. It is also necessary to regularly weed the beds, clearing them of weeds, loosen the ground and monitor the level of humidity.
It is important to know that the formation of cracks and crusts on the surface of the soil adversely affects the development of the fruit - they are deformed. So without tillage can not do.
Thinning is a necessary procedure for those who want to grow good carrots. After the plants acquire the first leaves, the distance between them is adjusted to 3 cm, removing small and weak seedlings.
Only those gardeners, who spare no effort to fertilize and water their vegetables, receive sweet carrots. The lack of water causes bitterness of root crops, their wilting and spoilage.
Irrigation is important to carry out correctly at all stages of plant development based on the size of vegetables. For example, if the carrot is large, the bed is watered abundantly so as to moisten 30 cm of soil.
Depending on the weather, watering planting from 2 times a week. Remember that in the heat of a plant especially need a liquid.
Positively responds to carrots and feeding. For the first time, fertilizers are applied 3 weeks after the emergence of sprouts, then shortly before harvesting.
- Organic fertilizers are suitable for this purpose: solution chicken manure or mullein, and wood ash.
- You can saturate the plants urea and potassium nitrate, but all additives must be diluted in plenty of warm water.
From carrot flies.
In the country, even strong plants are threatened by a carrot fly. A sign of carrot damage by pests is the presence of twisted leaves.
To reduce the risk of insect attacks, you can use regular thinning of plantings, proper watering.
Otherwise, only industrial preparations will help to cope with the scourge.
How to get a bountiful harvest?
The secret of a rich harvest of carrots is watering the beds with yeast. This nutrient is safe, affordable and extremely effective.
- In 5 liters of water, dissolve 1 kg of the product, then leave in a warm place for 2 days.
- The resulting mixture is again placed in a large amount of water and apply for watering vegetables.
- You can use it twice in the summer.
Thanks to this diet you can get very tasty carrots. From it you can make a lot of healthy and delicious dishes. for example, a male salad with pepper.
When to pick carrots?
When to harvest carrots? It depends on the variety, which may be early, mid-season or late. Focus also on weather conditions, depending on the rate of precipitation, root crops can be dug out of the ground earlier or postponed collection for an indefinite time.
In the suburbs most often removed carrots in September. Proper handling of the crop guarantees long-term storage and great taste.
- With a decrease in temperature and the onset of the first frost, the roots stop growing, the risk of their being affected by gray mold increases. Therefore, it is better to dig up vegetables until mid-September.
- However, it is not recommended to remove the fruits early from the garden, as they will not have time to accumulate a large amount of nutrients and will not be stored for long.
- The early carrot is harvested by summer residents in the middle of summer, it is suitable for making salads and eating fresh. It is desirable to eat it immediately after collection, otherwise it will lose its sweet taste and bright color.
How many kg of carrots can be grown on the weave? It is known that experienced gardeners collect an average of 10 kg of vegetables from the garden.
How to collect carrots?
Harvesting roots should be manually, excluding their mechanical damage. With one hand, hold the fruit, and the other pull the tops.
Leaving vegetables with leaves for a long time should not be, because the green mass pulls out of the vegetable part of the nutrients and reduces its shelf life. Therefore, trim the tops immediately after harvest.
That's all. We love this root vegetable very much, so we grow it every year. All winter he pleases us in various delicacies, like other root vegetables. In our house we always welcome this orange root vegetable.
Rating: 4.3 out of 5 (3 votes)
Carrots are those vegetables, without which it is difficult to imagine any garden. Even if the owner has a very small plot of land, there will definitely be a place for this vitamin vegetable. The climatic conditions of Siberia will not prevent this aspiration. To get a good harvest of carrots every gardener should know the basic rules for planting and caring for the plant.
Country carrot tips - video
Carrots, planting and care in the open ground for which they require the implementation of certain agrotechnical measures, is a small-seed crop from the Umbrella family. A native of Afghanistan, where even the largest number of root crops grows today, came to Europe in the 10th-13th centuries.
Among the most popular varieties, on the breeding of which breeders are constantly working, are the following:
- "Alenka" - an early variety with a maturity of 50 days after emergence. Orange root crops up to 15 cm long have an average weight within 145 g.
- "Tushon" is an early ripe variety, used for food 60-65 days after germination. The root mass is 150 g with a length of 20 cm.
- "Nantes" is a mid-season variety, represented by cylindrical, blunt-root roots weighing up to 165 g, which are suitable for both food and storage.
- "Vitamin" - a characteristic feature of the roots of this mid-grade is a high concentration of carotene, good taste, does not crack.
- "Queen of Autumn" - mid-season variety, the roots of which are excellent for long-term storage.
- “Flakke” - mid-season variety, showing excellent performance in terms of yield, even on heavy ground.
- "Mo" - late-ripening variety, characterized by good yields that are stored throughout the winter. Great taste and juiciness.
Site selection and preparation of beds
Carrots show the best crop yields on even, well-lit areas where last year they were cultivated solanaceous (tomatoes, potatoes), pumpkin (cucumbers, zucchini) crops, as well as garlic, onions and cabbage. If small-seeded crops (dill, fennel, carrots) grew on the site, then you should not stop your choice on it because of the poorness of the soil and the risk of infection by specialized harmful organisms accumulated in the soil. The root crop reaches its maximum size on light, loose soils with a good fertile layer.
Preparing soil for spring sowing in the autumn season:
- The selected area is dug up to a depth of 30 cm.
- Under the digging, fertilizers are introduced in the form of 15 g of superphosphate, 15 g of potassium sulfate, 20 g of ammonium nitrate and 2-3 kg of humus per 1 m².
- With the arrival of spring, the plot is harrowed with a rake.
Attention! If you dig up only the surface layer of soil (up to 20 cm), the roots will grow curves, ugly.
However, depending on the characteristics of the site and the selected grade, the terms may vary:
- Mid-season and late varieties are sown from late April to 10 May.
- On light soils, sowing is permissible until the end of the spring season.
- In the southern regions, where the earth warms up earlier, the sowing material can be embedded in open ground in the second half of March.
It is known that good seeds - a pledge of high yield.
To get healthy shoots, you must adhere to the following sowing algorithm:
- The seeds are wrapped in cloth and placed in water heated to 50 ° C for 20 minutes, then cooled in cold for several minutes.
- Preparing grooves with a depth of 2 cm with a distance of 30 cm.
- The distance between the seeds is kept within 2-3 cm.
- After planting the seed, the beds are mulched to prevent the formation of a crust.
You can simplify the procedure for preparing the seeds: they are buried in dense fabric in damp, cold soil 10 days before sowing.
On a note! Carrots are cold-resistant crops and easily tolerate frosts down to -4 ° C.
Thinning and loosening
In case of thick sowing after the seedlings of one pair of true leaves form, thinning is carried out, as a result of which an interval of 2-3 cm should be obtained between the specimens. The second time the crops are thinned after the formation of two pairs of leaves. The result of the procedure is the distance between seedlings of 4-6 cm. Together with the thinning, the soil is loosened and cleaned of weeds.
Tip! For convenience, it is better to pull the beds after moistening.
Timely moistening, which is held weekly, is the key to the full development of the plant and the formation of large, succulent root crops.
When watering, in order not to overdo it, but not to overdry the soil, you should follow the recommendations:
- In the first weeks after sowing, the beds are moistened at the rate of 3 liters per 1 m2.
- When the distance between the specimens increase to 5 cm, the water consumption increases to 10 liters per 1 m2.
- After the development of thick folia, which indicates the beginning of the growth of the root, the volume of irrigation liquid reaches 20 liters per 1 m2.
- 1.5 months before harvest, the volume and frequency of humidification gradually reduced.
На протяжении вегетационного периода морковь подкармливается дважды (после второго прореживания и во время начала роста корнеплода) при помощи раствора, приготовленного из 400 г древесной золы, 10 г нитроаммофоски, 20 г калийной селитры и 15 г суперфосфата на 10 л воды.
Сбор урожая проводится в несколько этапов:
- В течении второй половины лета корнеплоды выдёргиваются в пищу, а также убираются ранние и среднеспелые сорта.
- In late September, cleaning of late varieties intended for long-term storage is carried out.
Root crops are harvested on a dry, warm day as follows:
- Carrots for tops are pulled out of light soil or dug with forks in case of heavy soils.
- Extracted vegetables are sorted.
- In healthy root crops, tops are trimmed, after which they are placed under a canopy.
- After a few days the crop is sent to storage.
For storage boxes are used, which are lowered into the basement or cellar, where the roots in containers are sprinkled with sand or sawdust.
From the climatic zone of cultivation of culture depends on two main parameters:
- terms of sowing seeds in open ground,
- variety selection.
In the Moscow region, varieties of different ripening periods are grown, and sowing is carried out from the second half of April until the end of spring, whereas for Siberia with a colder climate, the range of varieties is rather limited and amounts to several middle-ripening - for example, Nantes, Vitamin. The rest of the cultivation of carrot cultivation is no different.
So, knowing the nuances of growing carrots, even a novice gardener will be able to achieve high rates when harvesting a vitamin vegetable.