Naturally, the best time for planting any plant will be spring. But for each crop, the time of landing in the ground varies in a fairly wide range. As for onions, there are no specific terms for it, on which gardeners can easily rely. Usually planting sevok recommended during the period when the land in the garden plot warmed to a depth of about 6-10 centimeters. As a result, to determine when to plant onion planting material, you just need to focus on the weather.
Warm and early spring planted sevok possible in late April. It should be remembered that planting onions in the cold ground is impossible. But too delaying the landing is also not worth it. Therefore, in order not to miss the necessary time, you should focus on the temperature of the soil. It should be no lower than + 12 ° С.
Another point that must be considered when determining the timing of planting seed - the size of the set. If it is small, then it should be planted very early. In such a situation, the possible spring frosts will not be terrible for the onion and it will carry them well, without prejudice to the future harvest. In this case, small specimens with early landing quickly form arrows.
Larger planting material is planted a little later. In this case, the time when you need to plant a septum comes after the final warming. Early landing of such specimens will lead to abundant formation of arrows.
Remember that correctly chosen planting dates significantly increase the chances of obtaining an excellent and, most importantly, tasty crop at the end of the growing season.
Preparation of soil and planting material
In addition to well-defined planting dates for seeding, its preparation is important. At the same time preparation is carried out not only seed material, but also the soil. If this is not done, then the risk of a large number of arrows is high, which will adversely affect the taste of the onion head. In this regard, planting sevok need only after a thorough preparation.
To begin with, how is the preparation of the soil. Naturally, in this matter the most important point will be the correctly selected site for growing crops. It is recommended to plant onions in such a plot of a vegetable garden or garden, which is early freed from snow. At the same time, this plant loves well-lit and ventilated areas. Both of these factors will serve as a natural defense for planting against powdery mildew.
The land, on the selected site, must be weed-free and sufficiently fertile. It is also necessary to avoid areas where frequent water stagnation is observed. Excessive amounts of water will have a detrimental effect on the onion. Because of this, it can start to rot right in the soil.
Choosing a site to plant onions on it, you must take into account the level of acidity of the earth. In an acidic environment, this culture is developing poorly. Therefore, at high acidity, lime should be added to the soil. Thus, it is quick and effective to reduce the acidity of the medium to a neutral level.
It is also worth knowing that you cannot plant onions in the same place two years in a row. Be sure to follow the rules of crop rotation. The best precursors for onions will be the following cultures:
The preparation of the soil itself begins in the autumn, after the harvest. So that next year in the spring, planting of a planting crop was successful, the following preparatory actions should be carried out in the autumn:
- digging a plot. Reforging should be done to the depth of the shovel. The digging depth is usually 15-20 cm,
- after that the land is leveled
- Some gardeners recommend fertilizing during this period. Often for these purposes use of unrepaired manure. For dressing in this situation can be applied and peat compost. Remember that it is strictly forbidden to make fertilizer (especially humus and chicken manure) before planting sevok. Otherwise, there will be an intensive growth of greenery and inhibited development of the head. In addition, weeds will be many times more.
After that, the plot is left alone until the next spring.
Before planting onion seed, it is necessary to properly prepare not only the soil, but also the sevok itself. Please note that only those specimens that have a beautiful and healthy appearance, without various mechanical defects, are allowed to be prepared.
When buying planting material, it must be dried well. In a situation when sevok was received personally, it should be stored in winter at a temperature not lower than + 18 ° С. To plant such seed material is necessary only after warming up.
Warming sevka is a time-consuming and lengthy process, which consists of the following steps:
- Sevka at a temperature of + 20 ° C should be kept for 15-20 days,
- after that we place it in conditions with temperature conditions in the range of + 30-40 ° С. Under these conditions, sevka should be approximately 8-10 hours.
Please note that in the second stage, warm the onions, it is important not to overdo it. Before planting the planting material heated in such a way, it is recommended that the sevage be treated with a growth stimulator.
If the seed material is not heated for two reasons for any reason, then it should be soaked in water. Water temperature should vary between + 45-50 ° C. The duration of soaking is only 10-15 minutes. As soon as this term has expired, we place the sets in cold water for the same 10-15 minutes. After that, immerse the planting material in a solution prepared from complex mineral fertilizers. In this solution sevka should be 5-6 hours.
Whatever method of seed preparation is used, it must be disinfected. For these purposes, a weak solution of potassium permanganate is suitable. You can also use a solution of copper sulphate, dissolving in 10 liters of water 35 grams of blue powder.
In addition to the above-described methods of preparing the onion head for planting, there is another “grandmother's” method. It involves the following manipulations:
- Sevok need to be dried at a temperature of + 20-25 ° C for one week,
- Planting material can only be planted after soaking the onion in saline. To prepare it, place 2 tablespoons of salt in 2 liters of water. In this solution, the planting material should spend 3 hours,
- it is then removed from the brine and washed well,
- for disinfection, immerse the seed in a dark solution of potassium permanganate. In it, the onions should stay for 2 hours,
- after that, wash the seams again well.
At this stage, the preparation of both the soil and the seed is completed. Now you can safely plant onions in open ground.
Many people think that planting onions is easy. What is difficult to lower the head in the hole and fill the ground with the top. Of course, you can also plant it this way, but the harvest in such a situation will be far from ideal. If you want to get a bountiful and tasty harvest, then you need to properly and strictly adhere to the technology of planting and caring for onions.
Landing prepared sevka occurs as follows:
- Before planting the planting material, the surface of the bed should be slightly rolled. The result should be a flat surface, which at times will facilitate the landing,
- after that we form shallow grooves on the surface of the beds. Their depth should be about 2-4 cm. This parameter is determined based on the size of the head. If the depth was significant, then the grown onions will have an elongated shape. A shallow depth will lead to a poorly developed root system, and this, in turn, will lead to a shallow and tasteless harvest,
- between the furrows the distance should be about 20-25 cm,
- between adjacent plants the distance should be 7-8 cm,
- First, small onion should be planted, the diameter of which does not exceed one centimeter. They will not form a shooter,
- then after 1-2 weeks we plant larger specimens of inoculum. Their diameter will be 1-2 cm. If you plant them at the same time as a small sevke, they will go to the arrow,
- then the top of the head is covered with earth. The thickness of the upper ground layer should be about 2-3 cm.
When the planting is completed, it remains only to properly care for the onions, so that at the end of the season to gather a great harvest.
When sevok was planted, for planting need care, which is as follows:
- At first, careful watering is necessary. The bed should be constantly wet and not dry,
- after watering is loosening the soil,
- loosening is carried out between the rows after the first shoots
- periodic weeding, as they can slow the growth of onions,
- The arrows that appear during growth must be removed, but only after the development of a thickening at the base of the seedlings,
- top dressing. For the first time, it is carried out when the feathers reach a height of 10-15 cm. At this time, urea and superphosphate are introduced.
As you can see, planting onion sets is not difficult. But you need to follow all the recommendations and steps to get a tasty and good harvest.
Suitable landing time
The usual planting time for any crop is spring, but each is planted in its own time. For onions, there are also certain terms that gardeners adhere to.
On the recommendation of specialists, onion seeding is carried out when the top layer of earth, about ten centimeters, is already well warmed up. In the early, warm season of spring, onion trees are planted in late April.
You should not delay the landing, but to plant it in a cold ground is also not desirable. Approximate temperature - twelve degrees of heat.
An important point related to the timing is the size of the planting material. Small onions are planted earlier. Frost, if they will, they are not afraid. Besides, if you plant early, they will quickly form greenery. A one to two and a half centimeters sevok is an ideal working material. With proper care, it is stored better and forms good bulbs. The largest sets give a lot of greenery. It must be remembered that the correct planting of onions makes it possible at the end of the growing season for the plants to provide themselves with tasty, large root vegetables for a long time.
Sowing material, soil, their preparation
Before disembarking, it is necessary to engage in the preparation of annual sets. Onions in appearance are selected healthy, without flaws. If they are bought, they should be dried. If grown independently, then to store them, you must adhere to the temperature plus eighteen degrees. Landing in the ground is carried out after its preheating. This activity is long, laborious and is performed in two stages:
- at plus twenty degrees, the seams are aged for up to twenty days
- at plus thirty to forty degrees - eight to ten hours
You should pay attention to the second stage, during which it is important not to overdo the bow. According to the recommendations, heated sevki should be processed with a growth stimulator. In the absence of the possibility of heating, they are soaked simply. Plus forty five to fifty degrees is the temperature limits of the water. The duration of soaking - no more than fifteen minutes. At the same time, the seams are lowered into cold water, after which they are treated with a complex solution of mineral fertilizers for five to six hours.
This option increases the yield, accelerates the first shoots. Also used and the old way, consisting of several actions:
- for seven days sevok dried (temperature plus 20-25 degrees)
- three hours of onions are in salt water (2 tablespoons of salt for 2 liters. liquid)
- disinfection - sevok placed in a solution of potassium permanganate for two hours
- final washing
Preparation of onion sting for planting in the spring also takes ground preparation. If you ignore this stage, many arrows will appear, which will affect the quality of the head. First, the plot is selected on which the crop will grow. The land should be:
- suitable for growing crops
- without weeds and residues of snow
- well ventilated, sunlit (to avoid powdery mildew)
- without water stagnation, its excess will adversely affect the onion head (it will begin to rot even in the ground)
The work with the land takes into account the acidity of the soil. Its increased level influences the development of crops, therefore lime is added to the soil to neutralize.
You should also follow the rules of crop rotation. Onions are not recommended to grow two seasons in a row on one site. At the same place onions can be planted only after three years. Its permissible predecessors can be:
It is verified that the carrot is a great onion neighbor. Onion fly bypasses such territory. Carrot fly also does not like onions.
It is better to prepare the land immediately after harvesting of all crops, that is, in the fall. It is necessary to dig it to the depth of the shovel, and this is 15-20 cm, after which the soil should be leveled. Along with this, it is recommended to feed the soil with peat compost. If fertilizers are applied immediately before planting, the onions will have a lot of greenery, and the growth of the head will be slowed down, besides weeds will appear, moreover, in large quantities. After such actions, the earth rests until the new spring.
How to plant sevok
Preparation begins from the bed. Preferably the one where they grew pumpkin. Still fit from under the greenery, peas, tomatoes. Problem for onion beds after carrots and onions, as well as after garlic. How to prepare for landing?
- In the fall, they begin to prepare the soil, supplement with rotted manure or compost (5 kg per 1 sq. M), apply fertilizers such as potash and phosphorus,
- He needs soils of loamy type, moderate humidity, rich in organic fertilizers,
- There sevka, which is most suitable for planting, it is 3-6 g.
- Large sevok goes to the arrow, it means that the other fetus will not leave it,
- You can prepare the bow so that it does not hurt. Pour into a bucket before planting sevka and pour hot water (up to 70 ° C), hold the bath for 2 minutes, then remove and lower for a minute into cold water,
- Onion sets must first be washed and then planted in the grooves so that there is a distance of 25-30 cm, and between the bulbs themselves 8-10 cm, it depends on the size. Then it is sprinkled with soil, with a slide of 2 cm above the shoulders of the bow,
- Pick through the onion pre-size, first planted large.
So sevok planted. First you need to well loosen, water, weeding is obligatory. For cleaning, too, there are special recommendations. It takes a little effort to plant the onion seed in the spring successfully.
This article has helped many gardeners to stop straining at their site and at the same time receive a generous harvest.
I never would have thought that in order to get the best harvest in my backyard during my entire dacha career, all I had to do was stop picking on the beds and trust in nature. How many can remember, every summer I spent in the country. First on the parent, and then my husband and I bought ours. From early spring to late autumn, all free time was spent on planting, weeding, garter, pruning, watering, harvesting and, finally, conservation and attempts to preserve the crop until next year. And so in a circle.