Well-groomed lawns create superb harmony in designer landscapes. Against the background of a green carpet, flower beds and flowerbeds look vibrant and vibrant. It is much better than the most expensive tile or concrete pavement. During the discussion, we will try to consider the various features of the meadow grass as lawn grass. Responses of compatriots show that this plant is most suitable for the climatic conditions of our country.
The role of lawn plants
More recently, the owners of private estates tried to manage their area in an economic manner: each small piece of land was cultivated and planted with vegetable crops.
However, in recent years, the organization of a cultural corner in its own courtyard is gaining popularity. Such a recreation area allows you to emotionally relax after a hard day at work and admire the beautiful views created by yourself. In addition, in this area you can arrange a gazebo, BBQ and inflatable pool for children.
Undoubtedly, the arrangement of the aesthetic landscape in the courtyard is worthwhile. Some of these designers have already appreciated meadow grass as lawn grass. Reviews of many people help to see the practical value of this plant.
High-quality lawn can solve some gardening issues. For closely planted plants, it to some extent serves as protection. The green cover does not allow evaporation of a large amount of moisture. Due to this, the soil maintains an optimum temperature and humidity, and it is less depleted. When the lawn grass grows, we can no longer remember the weeds.
Where there are lawns, in hot weather, the coolness and freshness is felt. In such places the air is clean and humid.
Unlike field grasses, lawn have a speed tillering method. Both the roots and the stems of the plants are involved in this process. Along with how the lawn grass forms an elastic turf net of roots, it also manages to produce many young stems. Future buds are laid not only in the axils of the leaves at the tillering stage, but also on the small hiding leaves located on the rhizomes. Thus, the plant creates a reserve for itself, and even with frequent and low cutting, the green mass is rapidly growing.
It should be noted that the quality and appearance of the lawn is directly dependent on the correct selection of seeds. Lawn grass in question, is considered one of the best. The following is a description of meadow bluegrass.
Those who are already familiar with the cereal culture, call it durable. She is able to create an inseparable sod layer and delight the gardener from year to year with her lively greens.
In the wild, bluegrass looks like many wild grasses. A plant that migrated to us from Australia covers hills and grows everywhere. But after the breeders worked on it, it became suitable for decorative use. The bluegrass meadow is characterized by dense greens, which is practically not amenable to mechanical stress. Grass forms an abundance of succulent, bright green leaves growing vertically. Peduncles has long inflorescences in the form of an ear saturated with green color. Sometimes there are spikelets purple. Below in the article you can find a photo of blue grass meadow and a description of its positive features.
Lawn grass has a number of advantages that each designer dreams of. Among them are the following:
- of all cereals, the plant is the earliest,
- root system growth rate,
- unpretentiousness to the composition of the soil,
- resistance to climatic conditions
- great decorative look
- the possibility of vegetative propagation,
- the ability to create high-quality coating,
- no lumps on the surface layer of the soil,
- not affected by pests,
- resistance to fungal diseases
- the duration of existence, which can last more than 30 years,
- resilience in severe frosts and droughts.
Description of bluegrass meadow with its botanical characteristics:
- The root system is powerful, well developed. Most of the processes are localized in the upper soil layer. Roots tenaciously intertwined with each other and fastened together, thereby forming a strong turf.
- Intensive growth of the plant is caused by the presence of many vegetative roots that penetrate the soil deeper than the main root system. Due to this, a considerable number of new stems, forming a separate root structure, grow. This structure of the roots allows getting bluegrass moisture from the deeper soil layers in dry weather.
- But for this development to take place, the grass (meadow grass) must be given time. In the first year it grows slowly, and its above-ground part is not yet distinguished by the density of green mass.
- The plant has linear narrow leaves, which height is about 30 cm, and width - 4 mm. Peduncle length - 80 cm, spike-shaped inflorescence.
Photo bluegrass meadow - grass used in landscape design, can be seen in the article.
Although bluegrass can grow vegetatively as described above, it would be impractical to use it to the fullest extent. For quick and high-quality landscaping design, the seed breeding method is very convenient. Within 14 days after sowing shoots can be observed. Some gardeners use foil, under which seeds of lawn grass sprout much faster. The meadow grass meadow in this case rises within 7 days.
To seedlings were uniform, seed material is better to check. The most famous way is to pour water in the seeds. Unsuitable, as a rule, are easy and float to the top.
By conventional germination, it is possible to determine the percentage ratio of seed availability from the entire purchased batch. When sowing, you will need to compensate for the approximate amount of unusable planting material. For germination, seeds are placed in a thin, damp cloth or gauze, wrapped in polyethylene and left in a warm place.
For sowing using special planters, but you can sow and manually. The seeds are mixed with sand and portion-wise the planter with them. Sowing is carried out first in the transverse and then in the longitudinal direction. After this procedure, they pass the rake over the plot in order to embed the seeds remaining on the surface into the soil. They need to be deepened by 1 cm.
Compatibility with other cereals
Since the grass grows slowly in the first season, it is advisable to sow it in combination with other types of lawn plants. The best accompanying herbs for bluegrass are: meadow fescue, thin white fenders, grazing ryegrass, red fescue.
In mixtures of herbs, bluegrass seeds account for 40-50%. Thanks to such proportions, the potential is laid for the next years of development of a quality coating for lawns. The best combination is considered to be a mixture of two species of fescue and bluegrass. They can grow on any soil, with the exception of swampy areas.
People who have experience in the design of lawns are advised to buy meadow bluegrass without impurities. Although this planting material is more expensive, it pays off over time. A quality certificate gives a reliable guarantee for good germination of seeds.
Directions of use
In what spheres does the bluegrass find its use as a lawn grass? Reviews indicate the multifaceted use of this practical plant.
The first mixture of grasses in combination with bluegrass is used for lawns and design of designer landscapes. But some find another use.
Lawn grass can hide flaws on problematic land plots - all sorts of hollows and curved places. The grooves of such a plan are filled with the roots of the plant, and visually the territory looks aesthetically pleasing.
Gardeners sow grass throughout the garden. In order to be able to care for the trees, the places around the trunks are fenced with decorative stones or other beautiful material.
Where else can grass meadow grass be useful as lawn grass? Reviews of some parents show that it is a suitable option for the design of playgrounds. In the first year, special care must be taken to care for the grass and free it from other weeds. In subsequent years, you can not make great efforts and boldly stomp on the green carpet.
Bluegrass is used for the production of turf. It is the main planting material in the mixtures used. With the help of ready-made rolls make space for sports events.
From lawn grass create strips for the separation of traffic and traffic.
For registration of lawns there are several types of this plant.
The varieties of meadow grass meadow include: Broadway, Connie, Platini. These are often used types of ornamental grass, characterized by the density of the growth of stems. Because of this feature, the lawns on which these varieties are applied have almost no voids.
There are other varieties of cereal. On sale you can find the following types: Compact, Midnight, Sobra, Balin, Dolphin and Geromino. When buying a certain sort of ornamental grass, you need to familiarize yourself with the information on the package, since each plant has its own purpose.
Preparation of the place for a lawn grass
The territory set aside for the lawn should be cleared of debris and unnecessary items. It is necessary to choose large stones and chips.
When digging, you need to try to clean the soil from the roots of weeds. Lumps should also be carefully cracked to create an optimal soil structure.
If the fertile soil layer is thin, then you need to add sand and fertilizer. Cereal culture prefers slightly acidic soil, so you need to spend liming. It would be good to add peat for additional loosening of the soil. It is important to know that the plant should not be planted on salty soils.
Then the area is leveled with a rake and the earth is compacted using a special roller or wooden board. It is necessary to check the surface for the presence of grooves and immediately level them.
Before sowing bluegrass meadow area under the lawn need a little loosen.
If the site is planned to be treated with herbicides, then it should be done a month before planting a lawn. An effective drug is considered "Roundup."
In total, it takes a year to decorate a decorative corner using meadow grass as lawn grass. Works of preparatory nature begin in early spring, and sowing is carried out in late August. Before the cold, they fertilize the plot and, as soon as the snow melts, they wait for young shoots.
Subtleties when leaving
Bluegrass meadow grass as a lawn grass is a very convenient plant. In particular, it can only bloom once a year. This greatly facilitates the work of gardeners and frees from frequent hacks. However, under conditions that are too suitable for him, he blooms again. In this case, it is necessary to produce extraordinary cutting.
When mowing, as a rule, leave 3-5 cm from the surface of the soil layer. After this procedure, the grass produces a thick stubble of new shoots. If there are land islands on the lawn, the bluegrass covers them very quickly.
Lawn care starts from the moment of seeding. So that they sprouted well, should be carried out daily watering.
When the meadow plant shows the first shoots, then they need to be watered as needed. In hot weather, the lawn needs increased moisture.
In the first month, while the grass is small, it is better not to walk on it.
The meadow bluegrass plant responds well to top dressing. The green mass after such procedures looks much more alive and thick. After autumn mowing, organic fertilizers are scattered around the lawn in a thin layer.
If extensive bare spots have been formed at the site, then additional meadow grass should be sown. Reviews gardeners contain valuable information about this. Some manage to fill the voids with the help of new parts from sod beds. If there is such an opportunity, then this is the best way to get rid of unwanted islets.
It is important to know that bluegrass is sometimes affected by rust and powdery mildew. Used to combat rust fungicides. Frequent and low cuts eliminate this problem. Cut grass should be immediately removed from the site. To defeat powdery mildew, reduce irrigation and rate of nitrogen fertilizers.
Summer residents complain that the integrity of the covering turf can be broken due to the activity of moles. Since no method has yet been found to control such pests, the damage has to be mechanically repaired or by sowing seeds.
In the article we examined what kind of service lawn grass bluegrass can provide. Photos of lawns perfectly illustrate the positive features of this plant. Perhaps, having familiarized with the above-stated information, owners of private houses will wish to cultivate their personal plots. Since the lawn is an important element in garden landscaping, why not make this innovation in your landscape design? Against its background, flowers and trees acquire clearer outlines, and their appearance is significantly transformed.
Description and characteristics of meadow bluegrass
Meadow grass meadow is a perennial winter crop belonging to the family of cereals. The plant forms a smooth turf and a beautiful, dense and uniform green grass cover.
Ideal conditions for the growth of meadow bluegrass are fertile, loose and moderately moist soil. Often it can be seen on meadows and forest edges in temperate zones.
The blooming time of the meadow grass is from the end of May to the beginning of July, and it bears fruit at the end of July - August. The flowers of the plant are similar in shape to three-five-flower spikelets about 6 mm long.
The bluegrass meadow tolerates frost and other adverse weather conditions.
Meadow grass meadow for decorative lawns
Unpretentious care and beautiful appearance makes meadow bluegrass one of the most popular plants for planting lawns.
The advantages of meadow grass: a high degree of "trampling", dense cover and resistance to adverse climatic conditions.
The main disadvantage of meadow grass is a slow growth. Therefore, it is often used in conjunction with other types of lawn grass that grow more actively. Usually, the bluegrass is complemented with red or meadow fescue, broomstick and ryegrass.
In the bluegrass meadow creeping rhizomes, which form a large number of processes. Due to this “bald patches” on grass lawns, it fills itself independently, dosjev is not required.
Meadow bluegrass grows not quickly. Fully plants develop only in the second or even third or fourth year.
Grass bluegrass lawn varieties: Balin, Bluegras, Panduro, Sobra, Connie.
The grade Balin differs in high endurance and early flowering. Grass cover does not lose its bright green color even in autumn and winter. Often it is used for landing on sports and playgrounds.
A very dense green cover of bluegrass meadow varieties Bluegars. It is well suited for places with unstable climatic conditions.
The peculiarity of the Panduro cultivar is its resistance to various diseases to which the bluegrass is prone. It is usually used for planting lawn sports and general use.
Connie is a slow-growing, wear-resistant grade of bluegrass meadow. Due to the vertical fouling of the shoots, the sod is formed rather dense. This variety is practically not susceptible to various kinds of diseases.
The bluegrass of the meadow varietal Sobra is well combined with reed fescue. As a result, the lawn is uniform and resistant to drought. It is used for rolled lawns, as well as for general lawn and sports lawns.
Rules for the care of grass bluegrass meadow
A good lawn depends on proper sowing. First you need to prepare the soil for sowing: remove all weeds, dig up the ground, level, compact soil and then loosen the soil by about 2-3 centimeters.
For more effective removal of weeds used chemical herbicides (Roundup).
The recommended amount of seeds is 40 grams per 1 m². Planted seeds need to a depth of two millimeters. The most convenient way to do this is with the help of a special lawn drill.
The first weeks after sowing the lawn needs abundant daily watering. Important: for several weeks after planting on the lawn can not walk. Regular feeding and fertilizer will only benefit your lawn.
Standard lawn care:
- In March, a visual inspection and the elimination of obvious irregularities is needed,
- mineral fertilizers are applied in April
- in May you need to remove the dry leaves and mow the lawn,
- in June re-cutting and alignment of the borders of the lawn surface is performed,
- In July and August, watering, feeding and cutting are carried out as needed.
In the autumn period, preparations for the winter. Удаляются испорченные участки, и производится подсев газона.
После стрижки высота газона из мятлика лугового составляет примерно 4 мм. Отрастает трава довольно равномерно. Мятлик предпочитает солнечные места и плодородные почвы. However, it tolerates late frosts and severe winters, is drought-resistant. But in the summer, it is better to water the lawn abundantly so that the grass is of a brighter and more vibrant color.
Description and habitat of meadow bluegrass
This unpretentious winter grass is very popular among gardeners and owners of private houses. The plant is a carpet cover of stunted grass. Thanks to self-pollination, bluegrass does not require special care.
Perennial has a thin branched stem, the leaves are narrow, linear. Plant height can reach half a meter without proper care. The root system is fibrous. With strong humidity, the growth progresses and bluegrass can drown out other plants. White inflorescences are collected in spikes.
Grazing grass propagates by dividing, onions, but the more common method is sowing.
Homeland bluegrass is considered to be Australia. In fact, this grass is a weed, because under favorable conditions it can grow everywhere. Mature age reaches 3-4 years. When using it for a lawn, it is necessary to take into account this peculiarity in order not to struggle with the eradication of the grass. Perennial lawns are often planted in European countries. Recently, Russian cities can boast of well-groomed parks and recreation areas thanks to this unpretentious grass.
Types of bluegrass meadow
Over 300 varieties of a plant differ. The most popular representatives are described below..
- Dolphin common as lawn grass. Perfect for shady terrain. Excellent withstands a variety of loads, unpretentious, color dark green.
- Connie Suitable for decorative planting around flower beds, flower mixes. The grass is undersized, thanks to which it is often planted in urban recreation areas.
- Midnight. This grade of a bluegrass is considered steady against trampling, therefore it is applied mainly on football fields. Culture often sow sports fields, parks for outdoor activities. The species is resistant to temperature extremes and is not susceptible to pests.
- Platini different fast growth and unpretentiousness. Withstands heavy loads. The grade is characterized by wear resistance thanks to what it is often used in lawn mixes when sowing football fields.
- Compact was specifically bred as a drought-resistant representative of its kind. It is not subject to diseases, it is especially stable before rust.
- Balin frost-resistant and perfectly tolerates the winter, while remaining green. Used for sports fields. Soon rooted and forms a dense cover.
Planting in open ground
- For quick germination, bluegrass seeds are soaked for a day, then sown with a calculation of 10 grams per 1 square meter. m
- In order for the crop to lay down with a beautiful, even carpet, the soil needs to be properly cultivated. Dirt land is better to break through with a rake or motoblock. To fill the entire surface with fertilizers containing nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus and magnesium.
- Professional landscapers recommend sowing bluegrass meadow in early spring or autumn, when frosts have not yet come. In various gardening shops you can buy lawn grass mixes: bluegrass, fescue and pasture ryegrass.
- Planting area should be divided into a square grid, and the seeds into 2 equal parts. First, the bluegrass is sown vertically, and then horizontally. This method provides a uniform distribution of the plant.
- Material for planting must be mixed with fine sand, because the grass loves sandy soil.
- Planting work is best done in calm weather, so the seeds will not scatter.
- After sowing, the soil is constantly sprinkled.
Water is important for grass.if the bluegrass is provided with humidity at any time, then it can be sown throughout the summer period from May until September. For a small area, lightweight hand-spray gun is great. A large area needs special surface sprinklers to moisten the entire carpet, leaving no unaffected areas.
If the bluegrass begins to turn yellow - this indicates incorrect irrigation. Ideally, the water should infiltrate the soil 20-30 cm deep. Surface moisture, even if it is everyday, does not have the desired effect for the full existence of the plant.
With regular haircuts, the bluegrass becomes weak and changes its green color to a yellowish tint. For the prevention of "rust" grass must be fertilized 2 times a month with a water-soluble lawn complex "Akvarin". Top dressing includes magnesium, nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium.
Mowing has several nuances: you should not cut the perennial in a wet state and do not allow the overgrowth of the grass. Regrown bushes are badly injured when the lawn mower passes. Upon reaching a grass height of 8−10 sm it can be processed. In the first year weeding should be carried out 2 times a month. Later, when the grass is getting stronger, he will supplant the uninvited guests.
Pests and diseases
Lawn diseases are an indication that the lawn does not receive proper care. Plants start to hurt when their immunity is weakened, when they are treated improperly, if severe climatic conditions are characteristic. Many diseases of the lawn are not so easy to identify or distinguish from each other; diseases are easily confused with pests or with symptoms of poor care.
Bluegrass meadow is most susceptible to this disease. The infection literally exhausts the leaves of the plant, sucking moisture from it, which leads to yellowing and death of the grass. The parasite appears under favorable conditions: lack of light, water, minerals, fertilizers, as well as weeds. At the first signs of rust, the plant is sprayed with fungicides and the affected leaves are mowed down with a lawnmower. Timely watering and feeding will prevent infection of the grass.
This bacterium, unlike rust, leaves behind white scurf on the leaves, resembling flour. The disease is characterized by a lack of sunlight. This form of bluegrass acquires in late July and August, especially in cold summers. Chemicals can reduce the development of bacteria, but this effect is short-lived. Later dew reappears. Among the effective fungicides can be identified Topaz (diluted with the calculation of 3 ml per 10 liters of water), speed (5 ml per 1 liter of liquid).
To protect the lawn from this pest, it is necessary to plant it in sunny areas of the garden, or to choose lawn grass that is resistant to powdery mildew.
Lawn grass and its purpose
It is known that the lawn coating serves not only as a decoration of the site, but also brings practical benefits. It serves as a certain protection for closely planted plants, preventing the evaporation of a large amount of moisture from the soil, and therefore it retains more nutrients, and also maintains the optimum temperature. A significant advantage of this herb is that it does not allow the weeds to grow.
In the period of summer heat, such a landscape will give freshness and coolness, as well as clean and humidified air.
Lawn grasses, unlike field, have a fast tillering method. Moreover, in this process, the stems and roots of the plant are involved. Forming a strong root system, it also produces many young stems at the same time. Laying buds occurs not only in the axils of the leaves, which are at the stage of tillering, but also of small hidden leaves located on the roots. Due to this, the grass accumulates beneficial substances, and even if it is subjected to frequent cutting, it still continues to grow rapidly.
In order for the "green veil" to please with its beauty and brightness of color, it is necessary to take care of the correct choice of seeds. Grass bluegrass is considered one of the best lawn grass.
Those who are lucky enough to have this type of grass in their area know that bluegrass is durable. He creates a monolithic turf layer and annually pleases the owners with bright colors of greenery. In natural habitat, bluegrass meadow is no different from other field grasses.
It will be interesting to know where the bluegrass grows. This plant was brought to us from Australia. In its historic homeland bluegrass grows almost everywhere, covering many hills with its greenery. However, the form that this grass has today, was obtained through the hard work of breeders on it. Now it is grown in our latitudes as an ornamental plant.
Should consider in more detail this plant. The description of meadow bluegrass contains the following items:
- Thick greens, almost not amenable to mechanical stress.
- The grass has vertically growing leaves and a bright green color.
- Sometimes there are leaves of purple hue.
Among other things, bluegrass are a number of impressive advantages that not every lawn grass can boast:
- This is the earliest plant of all cereals.
- Rapid rooting and growth of rhizomes.
- Undemanding to the ground.
- Frost resistance
- Fine decorative qualities.
- The ability to multiply in a vegetative way.
- Creating a quality coating.
- Preventing lumps on the soil surface.
- Resistance to pests and fungal infections.
- The lifespan of a plant can be more than 30 years.
- Resistance to drought.
Description of meadow bluegrass in accordance with its botanical characteristics:
- Powerful and well developed root system.
- Localization of most of the processes in the upper layers of the soil.
- The roots are well intertwined and form a single whole.
- Increased growth occurs due to the presence of a large number of vegetative roots that penetrate the soil much deeper than the main root system. In this regard, a large number of young stems are formed, which create a separate root system. This helps the plant to get moisture from the deeper soil layers during the dry season. But for this development to take place, it takes time. In the first year of its life, the grass tends to grow slowly, and it itself does not yet have sufficient cover thickness.
- It is characterized by bluegrass narrow linear leaves, reaching a height of about 30 cm, and in width - about 4 mm. The peduncle is about 80 cm long, and its inflorescence is spike-shaped.
Bluegrass Compatibility with other cultures
Since the grass grows very slowly, it is useful to combine its seeding with other lawn plants.. The best neighbors for meadow bluegrass are:
- Meadow fescue.
- Bent thin white.
- Ryegrass grazing.
- Fescue is red.
It is noteworthy that in mixtures of different lawn herbs, the seeds of this plant occupy about half of their composition. This ratio allows you to lay a good potential for the next years of development of lawn coverage.
The best type of mixture is considered to be a combination of fescue with two types of bluegrass. For their cultivation will suit any type of soil, except marshy. Experienced experts recommend the use of bluegrass seeds without admixture of other herbs. Despite the fact that such material is much more expensive, it fully justifies itself. You should also pay attention to the availability of a certificate of quality from sellers. This factor can serve as a guarantee of good germination of seeds.
Scope of application
The scope of application of this wonderful plant is quite wide. As is known, in the first place this grass serves as an ornament of lawns and landscapes. However, there is another option to use bluegrass. If you plant it on the land with certain flaws and irregularities, this grass can visually align the territory and give it an aesthetic appearance.
Some prefer to plant this grass throughout the site. To facilitate the care of trees, it is necessary to protect the circumference of the trunks with any beautiful material, for example, decorative loose stones.
Also bluegrass is an excellent option for registration of children's playgrounds. However, in the first year it will be necessary to care for the grass and free it from weeds. However, this will bear fruit: in the future, you can not resort to caring for the plant, but rather boldly walk on it and enjoy the lush greenery.
Also, this plant is great for lawns. Such rolls are used to decorate the venues for various sports competitions and other purposes.
To design a lawn is best to choose such varieties of bluegrass, as Platini, Broadway and Connie. These species of bluegrass have dense stems. Because of this, you can get rid of the voids in the soil. There are also other types of meadow bluegrass: Sobra, Compact, Balin, Midnight, Geromino, Dolphin. Be sure to read the instructions for use, because the plant may have a different purpose.
Preparing a landing site
Preparing the territory for the future lawn, it is necessary to remove all rubbish and foreign objects, as well as various large and small stones. Digging up the soil before planting, it must be cleaned from various weeds. It should also be broken earthen clods. If the soil is not different fertility, it is necessary to make it sand and fertilizer. Also useful would be liming the soil.
It must be remembered that the bluegrass does not tolerate saline soils. The landing area should be leveled using a rake and tamped with a roller. There should be no pits on the soil.
Immediately before planting, the area should be slightly loosened. It is possible to add herbicides to the soil no earlier than 30 days before planting a lawn.
On the design of this site will take about a year. Preparatory work is best to start in the spring, and sow the seeds at the end of summer. Before the onset of cold weather, fertilizer should be applied to the soil, and in spring, young shoots should be expected.
Like all plants, bluegrass requires some care. The good news is that these procedures will have to be performed only in the first years after planting.
Bluegrass as a lawn grass has been used for a very long time and has proven itself well. It blooms once a year. In addition, there is no need to mow it too often. Nevertheless, it may bloom for the second time in a season. Then you still have to mow it again. During this procedure, you must leave 3−5 cm of grass above the ground surface. After that, the bluegrass, as a rule, intensively releases the dense bristles of young shoots.
It is necessary to take care of the lawn from the moment the seeds are planted in the ground, which will have to be watered every day. Having found the first shoots, they should be watered as needed. In the dry season, water culture should be abundant. Immediately after germination, the grass is still quite weak and it is not recommended to walk on it.
This plant is very fond of fertilizing, after which its green becomes much thicker and brighter. In the autumn, after mowing the grass, organic fertilizers are scattered over the entire territory covered by the lawn. If there were any bald patches on the plot, then it is worth re-sowing these places with grass seed.
Bluegrass meadow prone to powdery mildew and rust. To prevent their occurrence, it is necessary to treat this area with fungicides. Also, in order to avoid such problems, it is necessary to mow the grass as often as possible: at the same time, its height should remain quite low. Cut grass should be removed immediately.
Summing up, it should be noted that such a wonderful lawn grass, like bluegrass, is perfect for almost any areas with any type of soil (except for marshy and salty). Moreover, in addition to decorative properties, it also performs other useful functions on the plot.
Having decided to start such a “green carpet” on their villa territory, more than once the owners will be able to experience all the advantages of this miracle. For many years it will delight both children and adults with its magnificent view, give joy, comfort and coolness on hot summer days, fill the surrounding space with air and moisture.
Meadow grass meadow - winter-type grass. The most active growth period is noted in early spring, therefore at the end of May or the beginning of summer one can observe flowering.
In four years from the moment of sowing, bluegrass turns into a fully grown plant. Until this time, shoots may be weak and rare.
Also, the plant has the ability to self-pollinate, which greatly simplifies maintenance.
Like grass lawn, meadow grass is very organic, and rich green color makes the site fresh and “alive”.
On the photo grass meadow grass
Features of the plant
Bluegrass belongs to the earliest plants of the family of cereals. Due to this, the lawn becomes green almost immediately after the snow melts.
The plant grows very quickly and easily adapts to different soil composition and climate.
It is worth noting the resistance of the grass to trampling and resilience in general. Mow the plant at a height of about 4 cm from the soil.
After each mowing, the grass begins to grow even faster, forming new shoots and pulling in empty areas.
Bluegrass leaves grow vertically. They are mown easily and evenly. Также трава не образует комков и других формирований на поверхности земли.
Трава прекрасно приспосабливается к среде, почти не восприимчив к разного рода заболеваниям.
В частности, растение редко поражается паразитами и гнилостными бактериями.
Varieties and varieties
Cultures more than ten varieties. The average life of each of them is about 8-10 years. They are great for decorating lawns, and in some cases are used as feed.
Consider the most popular varieties of meadow bluegrass:
- Midnight. The variety is resistant to trampling, disease and the effects of climatic factors. Most often used to create football fields, golf courses, parks and sports fields.
- Boutique (Boutique). Well preserves the color and density of the grass. Perfect for creating lawns, can be combined with other varieties.
- Blackberry. Ideal lawn for football fields and sports fields. The grass is short, uniform and thick.
- Balin. This grade of a bluegrass is used for arrangement of game and sports grounds. Formed medium color saturation, easily tolerates winter.
- Platini. It has high sustainability and is growing rapidly. Enjoys popularity for the device of golf courses and soccer.
- Sobra. Bluegrass Sobra resistant to drought, allows you to create a uniform lawn. Suitable for both sports and decorative areas.
- Panduro. Resistant to disease, wear, has an attractive appearance.
- Compact. Universal grade that is suitable for use for any purpose. All indicators are above average.
- Connie. The variety has a slow growth, but it is quite popular. Allows you to create a delightful decorative lawn.
- Dolphin. Belongs to undersized varieties. Possesses dark green saturated color, well maintains loadings. Suitable for any type of lawn.
- Geronimo. Very bright bluegrass variety. Differs in high wear resistance and density.
Each of the varieties in its own way is good and has its fans.
Different grass varieties
The choice depends on the intensity of the color you want to create, what kind of soil at the site of the future lawn and what indicators of plants are welcome in your area. Read more about the subtleties of the selection of seeds, read on.
Selection of seeds and germination test
Recently, grass seed has been actively offered on the seed market.
They differ in percentage and plant species in the composition. As a rule, the number of meadow grass seeds in grass mixtures does not exceed 40-50%.
However, if you want to create a high-quality lawn, it is recommended to pay attention to 100% crops. In other words, monocultures.
To determine the quality of the seed, it is enough to consider the following parameters:
- Seeds required Must be certified by international certificates or certificates of your country.
- Seeds should be adapted to the climate of your region. This will ensure a high level of germination.
- pay attention to seed characteristics. In particular, shade, slope, groundwater, soil quality and natural requirements that are necessary for their normal growth. All items must match your lawn.
- Seeds must fit the type of lawn. Either your site will be intensively exploited, or it will have a decorative purpose.
Once you have decided on the seeds of bluegrass meadow, you should buy a small amount to check them for germination.
This is what bluegrass seeds look like.
This can be done in several ways:
- Place a small amount of seeds between the layers of sawdust. Pre-they need to soak with boiling water. Put the composition in a warm place, and after a while it will be possible to see which seeds have grown and which have not.
- Similarly, seeds can be placed between two wet wipes. Leave in a place with a temperature not lower than 23 degrees. After calculating the germination rate and the percentage ratio of the germination of the whole lot.
- Fill the seeds with water for 5-10 minutes. Bad or empty will float, good - will remain at the bottom. If desired, water can be salted (no more than 10 g of salt per 250 ml of water).
For the country lawn, red fescue will also be a good choice - learn the features of planting and lawn care from this grass.
Site preparation for sowing
Planting a lawn is one of the most difficult stages on which its future appearance depends.
With proper preparation of the site, meadow bluegrass visually aligns the area and fills all irregularities. Territory preparation takes place in several stages:
- Soil preparation. Dig the ground. Remove weeds with roots. If the fruit part of the soil is less than 15 cm, it is necessary to pour sand. Also prepare fertilizer application.
- Leveling area. Plot need to handle hoed, rake. Then seal the ground with a wooden board or a special roller.
- Loosening. The soil in the area under the lawn is again loosened with a rake at a depth of 2 cm. Check the soil for the absence of recesses and lumps.
Once the area is cleaned and prepared, you can proceed directly to the sowing.
Sowing - how and when?
The standard ratio of the number of seeds to the area - 40 grams per square meter.
In order to prevent the appearance of empty areas on the lawn, it is necessary to disperse the part around and part across the lawn cover.
It is best to use a special lawn drill. In the absence of equipment, the manual method is also suitable.
At the same time with the seeds, add fertilizers with potassium and nitrogen. Distribute sowing with rake and roller. The average depth of planting - 2 mm.
Peculiarities of lawn care
The first time after sowing the meadow grass lawn needs watering. This should be done daily for 10 minutes.
Follow the procedure to the first shoots. Later watering is performed depending on the weather. At the same time, the first few weeks after sowing on the lawn are prohibited.
In summer, in dry climates, provide plenty of water for the lawn. In the spring, when it will be noticeable how many seeds have sprung up, you can make seeding. It is also recommended to conduct dressing and periodically fertilize.
Everyday lawn watering is a must
Opinion of practicing gardeners and gardeners
Reviews of summer residents on lawns of bluegrass meadow offer to explore below.
Bluegrass lawn has long been. I cut once a week. It takes a lot of time, as the site is large. I like it very much, you can walk barefoot.
Alexander, Moscow region
They planted a grassy meadow grass a few years ago. Very pleased. The grass is growing rapidly and does not require special care. It is enough to mow and water regularly. It does not take much time and is beautiful.
Long chose seeds, stopped on bluegrass. Despite the fact that they are more expensive, they saved most of the money. The seeds are smaller than other types of grass, so they turned out to be 3 times more. We will wait for the first shoots.
Meadow grass meadow - an excellent alternative for beginners in the creation of lawns. This culture will help to improve the site and save you a lot of time.
Lawn care will thank you for a pleasant feeling.
The grass does not require careful maintenance, easily tolerates any climate change and grows quickly. Use all the above recommendations and your lawn will delight you for years.
The bluegrass is a herbaceous plant found both in meadows and in forests. This representative of the flora is endowed with creeping and underground shoots that are capable of forming dense, loose turfs.
It is cross-pollinated, but it is also capable of self-pollination. The maximum development of the plant reaches the 2nd, 3rd year of life.
The formula of the flower gives an idea that the plant is rather unattractive during the flowering period. Flowering - once a year, but if the weather conditions are favorable, it may bloom a second time.
Perennial grass meets several varieties:
- Meadow grass meadow - grows well, resistant to trampling and drought. Frequent haircut tolerates bad.
- Bluegrass ordinary - grows derninkami. Not resistant to cold and trampling.
- Bluegrass Forest (oakwood) - grows well among other grasses, grows well in thick shade. Frequent haircut can not stand, from it is exhausted and falls.
- Bluegrass annual - color to the frost. It tolerates a haircut well, but the heat affects it negatively: the plant turns yellow and starts to fall out.
Among the more than 300 varieties of plants there are several, the most popular:
- Dolphin is a well-known lawn grass, excellently growing in shady areas. This plant is dark green, unpretentious,
- Connie - great for decorating the space around flower beds, creating flower mixes,
- Midnight is a variety characterized by increased resistance to trampling. A great option for sowing a football field. The plant is not afraid of any pests and temperature drops,
- Compact - artificially bred variety, characterized by drought resistance and resistance to diseases,
- Platini is unpretentious, it grows very quickly. Wear resistant, withstands increased loads
- Balin is a frost-resistant variety that tolerates winter well, staying green. This kind of bluegrass sow sports fields.
Regions of plant propagation
The temperate zone of the northern hemisphere is considered to be the natural distribution range of grass bluegrass. But today this plant can be found everywhere, because of its unpretentiousness, it is cultivated on all continents. The bluegrass meadow grows even in Antarctica, where it was accidentally brought in the middle of the 20th century.
In our country, this grassy grass is found in the Caucasus, Siberia and the Far East.
Areas of use
Meadow grass meadow is indispensable as a component in dry and fresh pastures and meadows sown with a mixture of forage grasses. This plant accounts for 5-10% of the total composition. After sowing the first shoots can be noted already at 7-8 days. Average germination is about 27%. You need to collect the seeds in July and August, before the onset of full ripening. Before sowing the seeds should be rubbed through a sieve.
Bluegrass mow hay. Its value, as a feed crop, consists in the low content of water in the composition and a large amount of protein substances. Cattle loves bluegrass meadow and dry and fresh. With 1 hectare can be collected about 1600 kg. hay.
Bluegrass is suitable for pastures. In North America, this grass is considered one of the most valuable forage crops, second only to timothy.
The plant is widely used as a cereal, which are sown airfields, sports fields, football fields. It will make a great lawn grass.
In folk medicine, bluegrass meadow is not used.
Bluegrass Meadow like lawn grass
The plant is widely used as a lawn grass. But such a cereal requires special irrigation. After mowing grows smoothly and smoothly. On the lawn during cutting it is recommended to leave at least 2-3 cm.
Bluegrass is a viable plant. If weather conditions are favorable, then in grass herds may last up to 15 years. Incredibly resistant to toxic substances, even if you have to grow in close proximity to sources of pollution.
Important! The bluegrass meadow does not tolerate the increased acidity of the soil and salinity of the soil.
Resistant to continuous trampling.
After sowing the lawn at first requires constant watering. It is necessary to moisten the soil every day for 10 minutes. Continue such actions until the first shoots, then water, depending on weather conditions.
During the entire first month after sowing the crop, it is impossible to walk on the lawn.
Meadow grass meadow - the best grass for creating lawns. Due to a number of useful properties, such as unpretentiousness, frost resistance, fast renewal, responsiveness to mineral fertilizers, the culture is actively used by gardeners
Lawn varieties of meadow grass meadow
There are 9 subspecies and many varieties of bluegrass meadow. Each variety has its strengths and features of growth, but now we will consider in more detail only some of them.
- Sort "Balin"often found in Europe. It is characterized by high endurance and safety of medium saturated color even in winter. Rooting him srednesilnoe, flowering - early. Used in the design of football and golf courses, playgrounds.
- Sort "Compact"able to grow in hot and arid climates. A characteristic feature is resistance to many diseases, for example, to rust. This grade of a meadow grass meadow is universal, can be used for any lawn.
- "Geromino". Its feature is a bright green color. It is wear resistant and quickly regenerated.
- "Sobra". It has an average density and leaf width. Often used for lawns, as well as decorative and sports areas.
- Sort "Midnight"resistant to diseases, climatic conditions and trampling. Choose for decorative and sports fields.
- "Connie". It has a slow growth rate, wear resistance and resistance to the main diseases of the species.
- Sort "Platini". This is a highly resistant, fast growing variety that is often used for football pitches.
- Dolphin. Low-growing, frost-resistant variety, rich dark green color with slow growth. Resistant to stress. It can be used for any lawn.
Selection of seeds and checking them for germination
Choosing seeds, pay attention to the availability of certificates (international or state). Be sure to ensure that the seed is suitable for your climate and type of turf. (either a decorative function or intensive use). Seed characteristics must also meet criteria such as the presence of groundwater, shade, soil, etc.
After selecting and buying it is worth checking the seeds for germination. To do this, use one of 3 suggested methods:
- Seeds are poured on for 5-10 minutes with water, it can be salted (no more than 20 g of salt per 0.5 liter of water), suitable seeds will remain on the bottom, and unsuitable, empty ones will float.
- Soak the seeds with boiling water and place between sawdust, then place in a warm place. Soon you will be able to see which seeds sprouted and which did not.
- Also soak in boiling water and place seeds between napkins. The temperature should not fall below + 23̊ C.
How and when to sow
Of course, you can sow manually, but better to use a special lawn seed drill. Depth for landing is
2 mm. The quantitative ratio of seeds and area should be 40 g per 1m². When sowing, some of the grains must be planted across the lawn. Add potash and nitrogen fertilizers, and for their uniform distribution, use a rake and once again compact the soil to strengthen the grain.
It is possible to sow from mid-July and almost until the end of August. Dates are adjusted by weather conditions. Shoots may appear within 7-10 days.
Watering: all the details
The meadow bluegrass root system is designed so that although most of the roots are located in the upper ball of the soil, a lot of vegetative rhizomes penetrate the soil quite deeply. This is one of the reasons for the drought tolerance of the plant. But in the period of prolonged drought and heat, without watering, its stems may wither.
Possible difficulties in growing meadow bluegrass
Because meadow grass is a plant that is extremely resistant, you need to carefully choose companions for him. It must be strong plants able to resist its aggressiveness and not be forced out of the plot.
May be affected by rust and powdery mildew. For rust treatment, use fungicides, fertilizing with weak nitrogen fertilizer and low mowing every three days (mowed grass must be cleaned). In the fight against powdery mildew, it is necessary to reduce watering, the dose of nitrogen in the top-dressing, and also use fungicides.
The main pests are moles although mice also able to destroy the root system and spoil the appearance of the lawn. To combat them, you can install special repellents.
Meadow grass meadow is an ideal decision for a lawn. It will give the site a fresh and well-groomed look. And how to choose a bluegrass, sow and care for him you already know.