Home plants give the dwelling a very special atmosphere, enliven the rooms and allow you to feel closer to nature. They are irreplaceable in work areas - any faceless and uncomfortable office is transformed, if you refresh it a little with the help of various ficuses, vines or violets.
There is a separate direction of design art, when using the right combination of indoor plants create an exclusive design, designed to emphasize the basic idea of each particular room.
Birch is a houseplant that many green pet lovers have. It attracts with its unpretentiousness and ability to adapt to the most different conditions.
What kind of birch
Birch is an indoor plant belonging to the genus of cissus, which has more than 350 species of shrubs, subshrubs and creeping vines. The name of the genus is the Greek word kissos, which translates as ivy. Ivy are not related to ivy as a species, but are called so solely because of the similarity of appearance.
The most famous representatives of this genus of plants are Antarctic cissus, or, as it is also called, indoor grapes (liana with large oblong dark leaves), multicolor cissus (liana, characterized by a rich color: red-violet stems, green-red leaves with a barely noticeable silver pattern) and cissus rhombolist (birch).
Cissus rhombus is a widespread grassy vine with complex diamond-shaped leaves and thick brownish fluff on the stem. The flowers of the birch are small, gathered in inflorescences in the sinuses, from which edible red berries later ripen. Unfortunately, at home, cissus rhombus does not bloom and does not bear fruit.
Is it possible to easily propagate such ivy as birch? The houseplant of this species reproduces very easily at home. To do this, you can use young shoots from the top of the plant with several internodes. They need to be put in warm water to form roots or be planted in a special soil - a mixture of sand and peat. For better rooting, the cuttings should be kept warm at a temperature of 20 ° C.
For reproduction, you can use not only the apical shoots, but also unnecessary twigs, remaining after the planned pruning of plants. Cutting off old and bare branches is done in spring; this procedure is necessary so that the vine has an attractive appearance. After rooting, the shoots are transplanted into nutrient soil.
Light level and temperature
Houseplants can be light-loving and shade-tolerant. Birch is equally easy to carry and the sun and shade, but in general, more inclined to the latter. It does not like direct sunlight, so if the pots in the room are on the windowsills, it is better to put them on the window on the north side.
You should never forget that birch is a houseplant. Care of him involves not only timely watering and transplanting, but also knowledge of some features. For example, the fact that, unlike many indoor plants, the birch does not need to be moved to the balcony for the summer period. This pet does not like drafts and does not welcome air baths in open space.
The optimum temperature in the warm season is from 18 to 25 ºС. In winter - no more than +16. +20 ºС, while during airing it is important not to let the cold air flow onto the plant.
Watering mode. Humidity
Birch - houseplant rather unpretentious and easily adapts to many negative factors, but not to the lack of water. It is necessary to water a liana plentifully, but carefully. She does not like excessive moisture and stagnation of water in the pot, and the more you can not allow the transformation of soil into a dry clod of earth. It is believed that in summer the birch needs to be watered every day, and in the winter - 2-3 times a week, but this is a controversial point. In summer, with a fairly low and even temperature, the plant can not be watered for 2-3 days, but in the winter, with actively working heating, the soil can dry out for a day. So watering indoor plants need to adjust to specific conditions.
But here from what the cissus is never rombolic, it is from a warm shower. Birch, for all its immunity to unsharp temperature fluctuations, does not tolerate low humidity. This phenomenon is just smoothed using water procedures: a small plant is poured from the shower in the bathroom, and long vines that are difficult to carry, need to be sprayed more often.
How to fertilize
The birch grows most intensively in summer, so it needs additional nutrition at this time of year. Fertilizing produce universal complex fertilizers for home plants about once every 2-3 weeks. In addition, in spring and summer, a complex agent is added to the spraying water to grow and increase green mass. It is also used every 2-3 weeks. It is important to know that it is not possible to fertilize and spray water with the preparation at the same time, as this can cause burns on the foliage and roots.
How to transplant "birch"
It is necessary to replant cissus rhombic leaf in spring, but it is not necessary to do this procedure annually. As a rule, the birch tree is transplanted every third year, and the rest of the time they simply loosen the soil and fill up fresh ground.
The pot is taken a little larger volume with the calculation under the increased mass of roots. The tank should be ceramic: plastic pots are increasingly being used lately, which is not entirely correct, as they do not allow air to pass through, and the earth is souring because the evaporation is only superficial.
At the bottom of the tank, you need to lay a drainage layer 2 cm thick. Then fill the pot with 1/3 of the volume of soil and plant the roots. Then they are covered with earth: the roots should lie at a depth of at least 2-3 cm from the surface. The soil on top is not compacted.
You can buy the soil mix in the store (consultants will advise the desired option) or prepare it yourself. To do this, take two parts of sod land, two parts of humus, two - of sheet soil and one part of coarse-grained sand to improve drainage properties.
Birch (houseplant): diseases and pests
One of the most common pests for birch is a spider mite. It appears in low humidity conditions. Another widespread "parasite" - leaf aphid, which is clearly visible upon careful examination of the back of the leaves. Both pests can be disposed of by washing the plant with a soap solution (10 g of laundry soap per liter of warm water). If this does not work, then the insecticide will easily handle the problem.
How can a birch tree plant get sick? Leaves dry, shrivel and turn brown - this is not a disease, but insufficient air humidity. The plant needs to be sprayed and bathed more often. Does the plant fade and look unhealthy? We need to look at the roots: perhaps they suffer from root rot due to excessive watering. In this case, removal of a part of the rotten root system will help and transplant to a new healthy earth. Mold on the leaves occurs due to poor drainage.
Myths about ivy
What can be interesting to tell about this kind of ivy, like birch? Is it possible to keep a houseplant at home if so many scary fairy tales have been thought up about it? Folk omens say that ivy (and all similar plants) do not need to be kept at home, as they survive men. And not just all the males, namely the husbands. Later, this legend was transformed: they began to consider that ivy in the house is a divorce, and usually because of adultery.
At present, the birch has become more attractive from the point of view of the area of thin spheres: it is believed that cissus contributes to the creation, the emergence of new ideas, and an increase in immunity.
The last statement is also true from a purely scientific point of view - in addition to the decorative function, the birch improves the ecology of the room: it cleans and moisturizes the air, kills harmful microorganisms and absorbs some harmful substances, such as formaldehyde. So you can safely keep the birch house.
Lighting and temperature
Best of all room birch grows in bright light. But the direct rays of the sun do not like the flower, so it is preferable to keep it on the south or west side. In bright light the leaves will turn pale, and the flower will begin to lose its attractiveness.
However, in the absence of such an opportunity to do this, it is not necessary - the flower will perfectly hold a period of rest in ordinary room conditions at an average temperature.
In the summer, a homely birch tree can be placed on the street in a place where direct sunlight does not fall.
Roitsissus quietly tolerates growing far from the windows. Its hanging shoots in the floor flower stands look very nice, so you can decorate the empty corners of your room.
Watering and humidity
Frequent and abundant watering is a necessary condition for keeping a birch tree. At the same time, the water is used as soft, since roicissus does not like lime.
In winter, water the plant should be much less, but only when kept in a cool room.
If the room is hot, the frequency of watering should be the same as in summer.
A native of the rainforest, Roitsissus likes high humidity.
In the summer it should be regularly sprayed. This procedure is also important for cleaning the leaves from dust.
In a plastic pot, there is a risk of overmoistening of the soil, since the water does not evaporate from it. From excessive watering of the soil in such a pot there is a risk of rotting of the root system.
During watering every two weeks, fertilizer should be added to the water. Any universal mix for indoor ornamental plants, sold in retail outlets, will do.
You can feed it with sleeping tea and pharmaceutical chamomile infusion. They also contain some nutrients.
Soil and transplant rules
After the purchase, the birch tree should be immediately released from the transport substrate and transplanted into a new pot.
If the root system is completely enmeshed with an earthen ball, then pick a pot 5-6 centimeters more than the store.
Unlike other plants, time for acclimatization of roitsissus is not required, it perfectly tolerates a change of conditions and any transplant.
Roitsissus prefers loose nutrient substrates, which are based on turf and deciduous soil. In the mixture, you can add humus, one part into 2 parts of turf and 2 as much leafy ground. For looseness, one part of the sand or peat-sand mixture is also added.
During the growth period, the pot is taken 3-4 cm more than the previous one when transplanting roicissus. On necessarily stacked drainage, to prevent the gulf of the plant.
Pests and diseases
This flower is affected by pests extremely rare.
Perhaps the appearance on it shchitovki, aphids, thrips, spider mites.
They fight with them by washing the foliage with warm water with the addition of laundry soap and insecticide treatment.
Roicissus can be affected in winter. If, with a cool content, to allow overmoistening of the soil, the root system of the plant will strike the fungus.
Due to lack of moisture the leaves begin to turn yellow and dry..
After normalization of watering roitsissus quickly restored. Yellowing of the leaves can also indicate a lack of fertilizer.
Sharply drop foliage Home birch can start from constant falling into drafts or a room with sudden temperature changes.
This often happens when the plant is kept on the balcony with the windows open. Therefore, in cool weather, you should close the balcony at night so that your birch will not freeze.
From waterlogging brown spots appear on leaves. The same symptoms indicate a lack of nitrogen or phosphorus in the soil. Spill roicissus with any nitrogenous fertilizer, and the flower will heal quickly. Remove all affected leaves and stems immediately.
Growing in too dense soil leads to oxygen starvation of flower roots. Signals this twisting and subsequent foliage.
For breeding roitsissusa there are two ways:
Conducted in the spring during transplantation. The plant is neatly divided into two or three parts, depending on the size and planted in separate pots.
Acceptable at any time of the year. Cuttings are cut and planted 3-4 pieces in one container. Blanks should be chosen with three to four buds.
Benefit and harm
Unpretentious roitsissus will be useful to people with the person opposite to the person.
For those who are literally fixated on bringing cleanliness and order to the house, the plant will help to take a more comfortable attitude towards cleaning and restoring order.
Home flower helps to soften too principled people. A flower that adapts to any conditions helps a person to adapt to adverse living conditions.
He will teach you to be above all material wealth, to be calm about the rush around making money.
As for health, indoor birch helps fight intestinal diseases. It also enhances the immune system and the adaptability of the organism to the adverse effects of the environment.
Birch is a beautiful view of a houseplant for those housewives who wish to garden their own apartment, but do not have enough time to take care of the flower. The plant with minimal care will delight you with its appearance and give the room a stylish look.
Homeland plants - areas with tropical and subtropical climates. In its natural habitat it can be found in South and North America, as well as in Asia. Houseplants birch can have leafy plates of both a regular shape and a fancy one, capable of being enjoyed by everyone. Despite the fact that the flower can bloom only once every 50 years, it is still a common culture that almost everyone likes.
Birch belongs to the grape family. On it are long stems that can grow over great distances. The leaves are green all year round. The average size that a houseplant can reach is 150 cm, but this is only in length. The width is still unknown to what size a flower can grow, as birch is constantly growing.
Care at home for a flower birch will not require any specific skills. The plant is able to take root in any environmental conditions. This flower is best placed on the wall, as it constantly spreads its branches, and they should be on weight.
It is best to place the plant in a bright room, but you should not put it in direct sunlight, because of them birch leaves can quickly turn yellow. In too dark places, the flower ceases to grow actively and can dry. The lowest temperature for successful cultivation in room conditions is +13 С. Lower temperatures will ruin the flower.
Do not water this plant too often. This can cause the root system to quickly rot. At the same time, the land in which the flower grows must not be allowed to dry and crack. When watering water should be the same temperature as the temperature in the room.
In the summer, especially when it is too hot, the birch is best watered at 9 o'clock in the evening. In the rest of the seasons, watering is possible until 12 noon. Depending on the temperature conditions in the room where the room birch is located, it is worth paying more attention to care: if in summer, in parallel with high air temperature, the pressure rises, then the plant becomes stuffy.
In winter, the flower hibernates. This is due to the fact that its growth stops quickly and stops completely throughout the winter. Therefore, do not panic, because birch room simply sleeps and gains strength to please its owner in the future. When watering, be sure to pay attention to how intensely moisture is absorbed into the soil. If this happens unevenly, then it is necessary to transplant the flower, as the soil composition is depleted, and the culture simply does not have enough vitamins and minerals for full growth.
As the dust settles on the plant with a light touch with a soft and damp cloth, it is necessary to wash it from the sheet plates. At the same time every day from the special equipment it is recommended to spray the entire flower with warm water.
Reproduction room birch occurs at the expense of shoots, which are formed on the uppermost parts of the plant. With them, it is easy to propagate the room birch house. Landing rules:
- Rip off carefully shoots.
- Place them in a container with warm water so that the glass is only half full. Do not allow the liquid to emit an unpleasant odor. In this case, it is best to replace it.
- Wait for the formation of roots. At the same time they should appear more than three, strong and long. Then the shoot is ready to be transplanted into the soil.
- Replant in the ground. The substrate should contain peat, sand and ordinary soil from the garden.
Существует множество цветоводов, которые любят баловать свои комнатные растения, почему и выносят их в летнее время на улицу. Unfortunately, not everyone knows that the birch can not tolerate such manipulations, so it should not be kept in the fresh air.
For proper cultivation, you must not forget about feeding the birch fertilizer mixtures. Fertilization is carried out twice a week or two. You should also have a water dressing for indoor plants. This kind of powder, which can be purchased at any flower shop. It just needs to be added to the water that plants are watered on. This method of watering strengthens the flowers.
It should be noted that in no case it is impossible to produce complex feeding: this is how you can destroy a plant. After the fertilizer has been fertilized, you should wait until two weeks have passed, and only then spray it with wet dressing.
To transplant an adult plant costs once every five years. This must be done without fail. Otherwise, the birch may stop growing. For transplants, it is best to use pots that were made from:
Tanks that were made of plastic do not allow the plant's root system to breathe.
Possible pests and control methods
Since birch is similar to street trees, it is susceptible to insect attacks. The most dangerous pests include:
They are able to appear in the event that the flower is poorly watered or there is unevenness in the irrigation. Another factor in the appearance of such pests is too low or, conversely, high temperature and humidity of the air that surrounds the plant.
If it was suddenly noticed that a white threadlike web formed on the leaf blades, then this is the very first and main sign that the birch tree was attacked by a tick. If there are growths or small tubercles on the leaves, this indicates that the plant has been attacked by a scythe. The only places that affect these pests are foliage. For this reason, they should be more attentive.
The affected leaves can no longer be saved, but the plant itself is quite possible. Therefore, it is necessary first of all to tear off all the foliage that has been damaged by pests. You also need to make special fertilizers for pests and make the air temperature cooler.
Repotting the plant is not worth it, unless, of course, it has not been five years since the transplant. It is worth adding a little ground to the upper base of the root system and loosen it slightly. Loosening the soil should be done very carefully so as not to spoil the roots themselves, because they are presented in the form of a set of processes that are located along the entire perimeter of the pot.
For this purpose, do not use sharp objects: it is best to take a small, durable and thin wand and gently, slowly, loosen the ground. In this case, even if the root is touched, the plant will not suffer. The main thing - do not make too deep holes when loosening the earth.
It should also slightly reduce watering. For example, if a flower was watered once a week and that was enough, then at a loss it is worth doing it once every two weeks, but at the same time, of course, monitor the condition of the soil.
Sick plant can not be kept close to healthy. It is best to fence the infected flower at the time of getting rid of parasites, having transferred to another room. It should watch out for the sun: they should not burn the leaves.
Sometimes you can see that the foliage began to turn yellow or even fall off. Such a phenomenon cannot be caused by any insect or pest. The first reason for which yellowing can occur is excessive watering of the plant.
Also pay attention to the pot: it should not be too small, because this can lead to the fact that the flower simply will not have room for the growth of the root system. Sometimes, if the pot is made of thin material, the roots pierce the wall, start to grow. This can be seen if a crack has formed on the surface of the pot. In this case, be sure to make a transplant. The main thing - to create all the necessary conditions for proper growth of the plant.
Indoor birch - a very beautiful ornamental plantwhich will fit into any interior. It is not used in traditional medicine, but it is still considered useful, since it can purify the air of various impurities when properly grown. Therefore, no doubt as to whether it is possible to keep a birch plant at home should not arise.
Planting and transplanting a flower
If the flower was purchased in a specialty store, it will need to be immediately transplanted into full soil. A birch tree should be transplanted into a larger pot so that the flower is more comfortable and the root system has a place to further develop.
Regardless of, how was the birch plant obtained? in the store or through reproduction, certain rules should be followed.
- First prepare the ground. To do this, first lay out a layer of sand at the bottom of the pot - about 15-20 centimeters.
- On top of the drainage layer lay out part of the soil, which should consist of turf land, humus, leaf soil and coarse sand. This mixture should fill one third of the total pot volume.
- After that, you need to take a flower and very carefully distribute its roots in the center of the soil, and fill up the pot to the edge with the rest of the soil.
- Replace the birch tree should be so that the roots of the flower did not reach the surface of at least three centimeters.
- When transplanting into a new ground, do not ram the ground.
- As soon as the planting process is completed, it is necessary to water the soil, and put the pot with the plant in a dark place for at least several days.
- Pot should not choose plastic, and ceramic or clay, because they are perfectly breathable and moisture.
Produce feed Immediately after transplanting the plant, it is not required, as there is already a sufficient amount of all the useful components necessary for the flower in the soil.
Indoor flower gets on very well in rooms, and there are no special requirements for caring for them. Of course, like any other home plant, cissus needs to follow certain rules of care, however, they are nothing complicated.
- Care begins with choosing the right location of the pot with the plant. Despite the fact that the birch tree can perfectly exist both in light and in slightly darkened rooms, this plant does not like to be exposed to direct sunlight. If you ignore this condition, the leaves of the plant will begin to dry very quickly, turn yellow, and then fall off. Therefore, you should always ensure that the sun does not directly fall on the flower.
- Do not leave the pot with a plant on the balcony or in the open air, as well as to allow penetration of drafts into the room. The optimum room temperature for a birch will be about 20 degrees plus or minus three degrees. As for the winter season, the plant feels best at a temperature of 14-16 degrees, although it can easily adapt to warmer air temperatures.
- Best of all, a birch tree grows if the soil in the pot is systematically loosened - this will help to better penetrate the air into the soil. So an important condition for care is to loosen the earth, which must be carried out at least once every seven days.
- As for humidity, the cissus grows well with both dry and elevated levels of humidity in the rooms. So there shouldn't be any problems with choosing a place where you can put a birch tree - it could be a living room, a bedroom, or even a kitchen.
- The plant favorably relates to water procedures. That is, so that the creepers and leaves of the birch tree delight in their abundance, you can periodically wash under warm streams of the shower. It should be washed creepers and leaves, so that water does not penetrate into the soil. If washing seems to be a risky measure, it can be replaced by spraying from a spray bottle. Such care is especially important during the period of extremely warm winter.
- An important condition that must be fulfilled during the care of a birch tree is the frequency of watering the plant. Too plentiful watering to a flower is not required, it is necessary to moisten the soil only if its top layer has visibly dried out. Birch loves stably hydrated soil. It is very important to prevent stagnation of water in the pot, and at the same time do not forget to water the cissus at the first sign of drying of the top layer of the earth. During the watering it is necessary to use only warm settled water. If possible, it is best to slightly filter the water, so that it contains as few chlorine particles as possible. And if after watering a lot of liquid formed on a tray with a flower, then it is recommended to immediately drain it, and gently loosen the top layer of soil.
- Care includes trimming plants. This procedure will help give the birch a suitable shape and size. Moreover, pruning helps rejuvenate the plant. It is necessary to cut only old shoots and those vines that have reached a great length.
- Regarding fertilizing, then for better growth of the birch tree you can use any complex fertilizer intended for this kind of crops. If the flower is not fed, this will lead to the fact that it will cease to develop and give a green mass increase. The frequency of fertilizing should not exceed once every two weeks during the growing season of the flower. As for the winter season, fertilizing can be eliminated until the end of February, but only if the apartment has more than twenty degrees of heat. If the temperature is less than this mark, it is recommended to feed the flower once every thirty days.
As you can see, the care of a home birch is nothing complicated. If you follow simple requirements regarding the growing conditions of the plant, it will please more than one year with its beauty and refinement.
Problems in the process of growing plants
Often it happens that the plant, for no apparent reason, begins to lose foliage, turn yellow or wilt. What could be the reason for such a flower condition?
- If during the autumn period the flower suddenly suddenly began to turn yellow, and the leaves fall off, then most likely the reason is very frequent watering or lack of lighting. It is enough to reduce the amount of moisture and put the birch tree in a lighter place.
- If the birch leaves began to curl, and brown spots appeared on their surface, it means that the flower lacks moisture or nitrogen fertilizer. In addition, this may be due to excessive watering of the flower.
- If the leaves begin to turn yellow, curl or fall off, the plant most likely lacks oxygen. To remedy the situation, it is necessary to loosen the ground in a pot more often.
- If the tips of the leaves of the birch tree suddenly began to dry out, this indicates a very dry air in the room. To help the flower to return to normal, just put it away from the battery, and often carry out spraying.
- If the leaves have pallor, then this is a signal that he is oversaturated with sunlight. To help the plant, it must be removed in a room with diffused light and save it from direct sunlight.
- If a birch tree has a massive abscission of leaves, then the reason for this may be a sharp change in temperature. Also to a massive shedding of foliage can lead to the presence of a plant in a draft.
The plant will always remain lush, beautiful and healthy, if not to forget, to properly care for him.
We can not say that the birch tree is a natural filter that can absorb harmful substances released in the air.
What are the diseases affected room birch
Birch is very rarely exposed to diseases and the attack of parasites. But even despite this, sometimes it happens that the flower begins to wither. There are several basic explanations for this.
- If the surface of the leaves of the plant, simultaneously on both sides, is affected by a barely noticeable thin cobweb, then the flower has been attacked by a spider mite. In order to get rid of the tick as soon as possible, all the affected leaves should be cut off, and the plant itself should be treated with a liquid infused with garlic or onion. It is also possible to use insecticidal agents like “Aktellik” and other similar preparations.
- The rotting of the roots of a plant occurs during its infection with a fungal infection that affects not only the roots themselves, but also the base of the cuttings of the plant. Infection occurs due to infection of the soil where the plant is planted. This happens because of frequent and heavy irrigation. To reanimate a birch tree, it is enough to transplant it in a new soil to a new place, and stop flooding the plant with water.
- If on the surface of the shoots, as well as on the back of the foliage, there is a huge accumulation of small insects, then it is affected by leaf aphids. You can quickly get rid of parasites by treating the plant with insecticidal preparations or a usual solution of soapy water.
- If a light bloom began to appear on the tender leaves of a birch tree, it means that he was struck by powdery mildew. The leaves in this case begin to fall off, and the plant itself to wither and lose its green mass. To cure a birch powder from powdery mildew, you will need to treat it with a special preparation, for example, Skor or Topaz.
- A disease such as scythe is caused by violations of the rules for home birch. Manifested in the appearance of small growths on the surface of the plant. However, the treatment with special means, as well as the normalization of irrigation and loosening the soil, can cure the flower and help it quickly.
It must be remembered that the indoor birch is not only beautiful, but also very healthy for the human arastenia, able to filter the air in any room.
Birch - requirements for care
Fans of houseplants who already have a birch at home, know that she is not at all demanding to care and it is very easy and even pleasant to communicate with her, as with another apartment dweller. She is not so capricious as, say, a spathiphyllum or alokaziya.
Still, there are some care requests for this plant:
- Birch does not like bright light, direct rays can leave burns on the leaves. If the plant has too much light, you can notice it, it will give a signal. The leaves will become much lighter, they will lose their luster, they will become thinner, even fade. Its place is penumbra or diffused light.
- Roicissus grows better when the soil in the pot is loose and breathable. The plant responds very well to loosening the soil, it should be carried out at least a couple of times a week.
- Despite the fact that the plant does not like waterlogging, it needs spraying. Especially if the winter in the apartment is very dry air, do a birch shower once a week.
- You can not keep it in a draft and in the summer do not carry the plant on the balcony aired. Such walks, it does not like for sure.
- To rejuvenate, sometimes we prune the plant, you need to cut out old shoots and trim, shorten too long to have a neat appearance.
Birch - watering
Watering it is necessary only as the soil dries out, the plant does not like excessive waterlogging. But at the same time we should not allow drying.
Roitsissus is poured over with water at room temperature, it turns out about two times a week, however, it depends on the place where the plant “lives”. If it is under the ceiling, the air there is much drier and watering is necessary more often, especially in winter. If the plant is on the windowsill, then watering is less common.
Does not like the plant if the water stagnates in the pot, so when planting, make sure that the pot was with holes and drainage.
Water during irrigation should be quickly absorbed by the soil, not stagnant on the surface. If this does not happen, then a more loose substrate should be added to the soil to make it easier for the plant to extract moisture. If roitsissus “sits” in a single pot for a long time, then the soil is compressed and it does not let water through well, then it is time to transplant.
Many amateur growers do not think about how to water indoor plants with water. Water from the tap contains chlorine, which is very harmful to the roots and tends to accumulate in the soil. Therefore, water with separated water or from a filter. Good for watering melt water.
In winter, during the heating season, the tips of the leaves of a birch tree can dry, even with good watering. Most likely the plant reacts to too dry air. Spray it often or place a container with water next to the pot.
Many do not pay attention to dressing, they say, the plant is unpretentious and he does not need anything other than watering. But fertilizing is important for the appearance, for the growth of green mass. Do you want to have a miserable bush with three skinny shoots or a lush vine with beautiful leaves at home?
Fertilizers for plants are carried out by complex liquid fertilizer every two weeks, starting in mid-March. We finish feeding in mid-October, when the flower is preparing for winter rest.
Roitsissus need to replant as the soil compaction, about once every 3-4 years. Заранее готовим почву, проще купить в магазине специальную смесь для комнатных растений или сделать самим из 2 частей садовой земли, 2 частей дерновой земли, одной части перегноя и одной части крупнозернистого речного песка. Такая смесь будет рыхлой, питательной, хорошо пропускать воду.
Горшок подбираем средних размеров и невысокий. In a large space, the plant will be uncomfortable. It is better to choose a container for growing from a natural material, ceramics will be useful. At the bottom, as I wrote above, there should be openings for the outflow of excess water.
At the bottom, you must place a couple of centimeters of expanded clay or pebbles for drainage, then pour a few centimeters of soil. Before you place the plant, you need to inspect the roots, remove dried and broken. Then we place the flower in the center on the soil and fall asleep from all sides. It is not necessary to tamper strongly, it is enough to slightly press the ground with your hands so that there are no voids around the roots.
The size of the pot should be such that the roots are no deeper than five centimeters under the ground. In the first three days after transplantation, the flower must be removed from the sun, closed tightly in a dark closet. Only then place it in a permanent place.
After planting, the birch tree must be poured with warm, settled water, but the first couple of months do not need to be fed, as it will be enough trace elements from the soil.
Birch - breeding
Roitstsus easy to propagate in two ways:
- Scions - in the spring, when you after winter sleep pruning unwanted twigs, you can use a few for reproduction. Just put them in the water for a couple of weeks and wait for the roots to appear, then transplant the seedlings into small pots.
- To propagate the cuttings of birch is even easier, it is better to do this in the spring, when the plant starts to release young twigs. Cut the cuttings so that they have internodes, no more than two. We place them in a loose and moist substrate, sphagnum or a mixture of peat and sand. After two weeks, ready-made plants can be transplanted into normal soil.
Diseases and pests
Unpretentious indoor residents are also attacked by various unpleasant insects or are exposed to diseases.
Spider mite it attacks the birch tree due to improper care, when proper watering is not ensured, more precisely, it is very scarce. On the twigs and leaves you can see a small cobweb. To fight this insect can be a special insecticide, well, to restore proper watering.
Shchitovka also appears due to impaired care. But just as quickly the plant is restored after processing and restoring irrigation and loosening.
Aphid - to attack many indoor plants. You can get rid of it by spraying a solution of soap, you can with the addition of wood ash.
Root rot also appears with the wrong care. The plant suddenly withers, the leaves fade and fall. Carefully remove the plant from the pot, cut off the diseased roots, treat them with ash or charcoal, completely replace the soil and pot and transplant.
Mealy dew also found on the leaves of this plant. the plant suddenly becomes whitish and begins to wither. In the fight against the disease will help a special drug Topaz.
In the winter months, the plant, like many, has a dormant period. Sometimes you need to reduce the rate of watering and the frequency of spraying, if the room is cool.
At this time, feeding is stopped, because the plant needs a break. It is not necessary in the winter to cut or replant a birch tree, since all its functions are slowed down.
The reason - dry and fall leaves
Most often this unpleasant state occurs in a plant, when suddenly the leaves begin to dry, there are reasons and there are many of them:
- Too dry air, you need to increase its moisture and spray the plant more often.
- Root decay. Most likely you flooded the plant and now you need a transplant.
- In the autumn, leaves can dry and crumble just like that, for no reason, autumn is autumn.
- Too strong leaf fall plant signals that it should be removed from the draft.
- Dried leaves can say that the roots lack oxygen, which means that the soil is too dense. Exit - or loosen the soil, or it's time to transplant.
This unpretentious plant is a real home filter, it cleans the air around it and even absorbs the formaldehydes that cause cancer in our children.
In general, the care of roitsissus or birch room is not too complicated and tedious. The main thing is that now you know all the subtleties of care and can provide your green pet with a comfortable life.
Description and types
The plant birch in the people is also called indoor grapes due to its branching. Roitsissus belongs to the genus of flowering plants of the family Vinogradovye. This culture is considered very common. It can be kept at home, in offices, schools, kindergartens and other institutions. The flower is suitable for both classic and modern decoration of rooms. Differs in its extreme simplicity and versatility. Can withstand a permanent shadow. Greens can be easily formed.
Birch - an evergreen shrub climbing or creeping type. Shoots grow quite long - from 0.6 to several meters. This room vine is considered one of the most popular. By the way, not only is this sort of roitsissus known as birch, there are other, more interesting varieties. At the moment, 15 species of such a culture have been established, but only 4 of them are grown at home.
The most popular variety is Rohitsissus rhombic, which is popularly called birch. It is a climbing vine. She is very flexible. The foliage is constantly green. The length of the shoots can be up to 150 cm. The leaves have a complex rhomboid structure. Hue is bright green on top. It goes well with a lighter matte side, which is located at the bottom of the leaves. On the ends there are teeth. Usually branches covered with reddish hairs, which are very dense. Another difference is the presence of thin antennae.
Birch - roitsissus rhombic
The next variety is Roitsissus Cape. This is also a climbing plant, which belongs to the ornamental deciduous category. Perfect as an ampelous culture, and for growing on special supports. It develops very quickly, it is also considered extremely hardy and unpretentious. The leaves are like grape. They are quite large, symmetrical. Large and solid, not divided into leaf-lobes. They have shaped notches that can be up to 20 cm in diameter. Growing conditions affect the height, but the shoots will not be exactly longer than a couple of meters. This culture is great for creating large compositions.
There is another variety - palmate. It is very different from other varieties of roitsissus. This name of the variety is due to the fact that the leaves are very similar in shape to the fingers. The plant looks a bit prim and elegant. It is best to install on special supports in the form of various shapes.
Room birch periodically requires a transplant. As a rule, such a procedure is supposed to be carried out once in 3 years. First you need to prepare the substrate. It can be purchased in finished form at a flower shop or independently prepared. To do this, you will need to take 2 parts of sod and garden land, then add part of the humus and the same amount of sand. As for the latter, it must be river and have large fractions. Due to its looseness, such a substrate will allow water, oxygen and nutrient compounds to pass through well.
Still need to pick a pot. It should be larger than the previous one, but not very tall. It is best to choose medium-sized containers. If the pot is too large, the extra space will create discomfort for the flower. It is recommended to choose containers from natural materials. The best option is ceramics.
At the bottom of the container should be a few holes to pass the ground. Be sure to lay out below a couple of centimeters of the drainage layer. Perfect for this pebbles, expanded clay, broken bricks or tiles, and more. Before you put a birch flower in a new pot, you need to examine its roots and remove those that are broken or dried. The bush should be placed in the center of the container, and then sprinkled with soil from different sides. The substrate is required to tamp, but not very much. This is to ensure that around the roots there is no empty space. Roots should be located no deeper than 5 cm under the soil. In the first three days it is necessary to keep the container with the plant in a dark place. Only after that it is allowed to set the pot to a permanent place. Be sure to water the flower after transplanting. Use only separated water at room temperature. The first six months feeding is not required, as there are enough nutrients that are present in the soil.
Diseases and parasites
Care at home for birch is simple, but if you do not follow these rules, it will lead to the fact that the flower starts to hurt or there will be various pests. Despite the fact that this culture is unpretentious, it can suffer from various diseases and parasites.
An example is spider mite. It appears on a birch tree and begins to parasitize only if the flower was improperly cared for, for example, when the watering was irregular and rather scarce. As a result, the thinnest cobweb gradually appears on the branches and leaves. To combat such a pest is recommended to use insecticidal preparations. In addition, you must follow all the rules.
Shchitovka attacks the indoor flower, too, due to the fact that the rules of care are not followed. But the plant will quickly recover after special treatment, the establishment of regular watering and loosening the soil.
Still damage the birch can tlI. Get rid of it by different methods. For example, you can use special preparations for spraying shrubs. Also suitable soapy solution (use only soap), which is added a small amount of regular wood ash.
One of the diseases is root rotwhich develops due to improper care. The plant gradually withers, fades, leaves fall. In this case, you need to gently pull the shrubs out of the tank, cut off diseased roots, treat them with ash or charcoal, and then transplant them into a new container. Be sure to fall asleep with fresh soil.
Another dangerous disease - powdery mildew. It appears on the foliage of birch in the form of a whitish plaque. Gradually shrub fades. To combat this disease is recommended to use a special drug "Topaz".
Most often, birch trees begin to dry and fall leaves. This is due to a number of factors:
- Excessively dry air. You can fix this if you often spray a flower from a spray bottle.
- Rotting roots. In this case, the plant must be transplanted.
- Seasonality. Leaves can fall off in the autumn.
- Lack of oxygen to the roots. This is due to the fact that the ground is excessively dense. In this case, it should be loosened the next day after watering.
If you have not yet decided which flower to hold at home, then this, of course, is roicissus, because it will decorate any wall. In addition, it is completely unpretentious, so it does not require special care. And you should not believe in various signs, as this plant will only decorate your house!