Dracaena flower is a perennial plant of the Asparagaceae family. Evergreen trees and succulent shrubs are ideal for indoor growing. The unpretentious flower easily transfers low illumination, humidity and long absence of watering. Representatives of the family come in various shapes and sizes - from 7.5 cm to bulky trees. The color and structure of the culture depends on the subspecies. In the dragon variety, “Fragrant”, the leaves look like corn stalks. The giant representative of the Dragon Tree has a spreading crown. The plant indoors can reach more than 1.5 meters in height. If you follow simple rules, growing a spectacular palm will not take long.
Proper care of the culture
Dracaena - light-loving plant.
The frequency of soil moistening depends largely on the level of illumination of the room. Under the conditions of shade or partial shade, the flower should be watered when the soil dries to about 3/4 in a bitter place.
If the pot is located on a brightly lit place, you should allow the soil to dry out before watering at about 1/2 the depth of the soil. If the earthen room is completely dry in direct sunlight, the dracaena palm will weaken. It will take a long time to restore the culture.
The flower in the store is often planted in an overly large pot. Before watering you need to inspect the bottom of the pot and, if necessary, change the container to a smaller container.
Young representatives of asparagus need a moderately moist soil. Excess fluid can damage brittle roots. Watering should be directly at the base of the flower.
Adult dracaena prefer abundant, uniform watering. If you do not adhere to the conditions of preliminary drainage of the soil, excessive accumulation of water will lead to rotting of the roots.
Adult culture representatives prefer uniform watering.
The main signs of excessive moisture are slight drooping and twisting of the edges of the leaves, yellowing of the plant, root rot and pale new shoots with dark tips.
How to transplant dracaena
The main rule for the successful cultivation of culture - well-drained soil. The best time to transplant a plant to a new pot is in the spring, when the flower begins a new stage of vegetative development.
The dragon transplant consists of the following sequential steps:
- The prepared mixture for the flower must be placed in a new pot with drainage holes.
- The diameter of the container should be 5 cm larger than the container used.
- It is necessary to leave space for the root system of approximately 10 cm.
- You can make a hole with a spatula.
- Then pour the soil in a container with a plant.
- Give the opportunity to drain water.
- Gently loosen the soil.
- If the container is made of plastic, you can slightly squeeze the pot.
- Take a flower by the trunk just above the level of the soil.
- With the other hand, hold the container at the bottom and gently pull to release the plant.
- Carefully shake off the old soil from the root system.
- You can gently straighten and straighten entangled roots.
- Place the dracaena evenly in the center of the hole in the new pot.
- Top add the required amount of soil.
- Level the ground carefully.
- Watering should be very careful.
- Be sure to monitor the lack of fluid in the tray.
- Place the flower in a room with diffused sunlight.
Culture transplantation often causes a slowdown in all processes. Helping culture recover is simple enough. It is necessary to periodically spray distilled water on the leaves and stalks.
Transplant the dracaena should be in well-drained soil.
Palm tree in its natural habitat can reach 6 meters in height. When grown in southern countries, the plant can not be limited. In room conditions the plant rarely reaches giant sizes.
To reduce the height of the shoots it is necessary to cut off the upper stems. In a remote place there will be several side branches. The plant will acquire a bushy shape.
Similarly, it is possible to remove prominent, long stems. Pruning will stimulate fuller and healthier leaf development.
Proper pruning stimulates the development of new leaves.
The leaves at the final stage of their life cycle become brown in color and fall off. They must be collected and destroyed. Inactivity often leads to bacterial diseases.
When a culture is infected, the spots first appear on the foliage of palm trees. It should immediately clear the flower from the affected areas.
Purification of culture
Broken or weak leaves in dracaena should be removed immediately. When pruning damaged parts of the flower, you must use sharp and disinfected tools.
All removed plant parts must be disposed of. It is not recommended to use parts of the crop as leaf humus to fertilize other green spaces. The disease can spread.
After ottsvetaniya need to cut shoots with buds. Thus, it is possible not only to purify the culture, but also to stimulate new growth.
Growing flower in open soil
Certain types of dragon, for example, “Fragrant” belong to very unpretentious cultures. Therefore, in the summer, you can plant a flower in a greenhouse, greenhouse or open ground.
It must be remembered that in the open air there is a huge number of pests that can destroy the root system.
For cultivation in the garden, you can use any soil. It is advisable to plant a palm tree in a drained substrate with the addition of peat. In the first month it will be necessary to weed weeds every week and loosen the ground at the base of the palm tree. For planting on the street will need:
- Choose the correct location under indirect sunlight.
- The site should be protected from wind and drafts.
- Around the planting site will need to remove all the weeds.
- Dracaena can grow in clay, acidic and alkaline soil. Therefore, making additional connections is optional.
- The landing pit should be twice the size of the earth coma.
- Fill the hole with water and allow time for the water to soak into the ground.
- The plant must be carefully arranged in a hole.
- Using the extracted earth, you must fill the hole and level the place around the base of the dracaena.
- Water the plant should be several times a week until the restoration of the flower.
- If tap water contains high levels of fluoride, it is necessary to ensure that dracaena is watered with filtered or rainwater. Plants are very sensitive to the component.
After cooling, you need to immediately dig up the dragon-seed and move it to a closed room.
Representative dracaena in natural habitat.
Planting in the open field is very risky. An alternative is to use a large, garden, portable planter. This way you can save the flower from a sudden drop in temperature.
Most dracaenas are grown as indoor plants. Despite the unpretentiousness of the palm tree, the use of loamy soil should be avoided indoors. For the container this soil is too heavy and dense. Its use can lead to root rot.
You should purchase a prepared mixture marked for indoor plants. At home, you can also make your own composition. This will require mixing in equal parts peat, leaf humus and coarse sand. It is not recommended to replace sand with perlite. This ingredient can destroy the plant.
Mulch prevents the growth of weeds, promotes the penetration of nutrients into the soil, keeps the soil moisture.
For best results, you should use about 5-7.5 cm layer of mulch on the surface of the dracaena soil. Chopped leaves, bark and wood chips are ideal for shelter. Replenish the layer of mulch should be as the settling of the protective layer.
It is necessary to feed the dracaena in the spring and summer period. Fertilizer ideally suitable as growth stimulators, containing nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium components in a ratio of 3: 1: 2 plus traces of zinc, sodium, manganese, copper and iron.
Add the drug should be in accordance with the instructions of the product. It should be applied every four weeks during the period of active growth. During the autumn and winter months, the plants do not need additional feeding.
After acquiring a palm tree, you should wait about a month before acclimatizing the plant to a new place. Too earlier feeding will create additional load for the culture.
In the case of moving it is necessary to reduce fertilizer by 50 percent within a month and not to feed it in the first month in a new house. An acidic environment outside of 6 to 6.5 pH soil will interfere with the absorption of nutrients and lead to damage to the leaves.
Proper feeding contributes to the formation of bright green leaves and stems. If the plant has slowed growth, the crop does not receive enough fertilizer. It should be fed a palm tree every two weeks until recovery.
Excessive use of stimulants will affect the dracaena. Foliage will turn yellow or brown color. It is necessary to stop feeding before restoring the palm.
How to choose a pot
Capacity for culture must meet several criteria:
- high level of durability
- durable material
- drainage holes in the bottom,
- additional side openings for air circulation,
- pallet availability,
- no harmful chemical components in the composition of the product.
Flower pot for dracaena should not contain harmful ingredients.
Excessive watering dracaena leads to rotting of the root system. The leaves become yellow and brown color. The plant can dry out.
The leaves become dark brown in color. There are dead zones with yellow borders. It is necessary to avoid using soil with a high content of fluoride.
Breeding dracaena at home
An adult plant often turns yellow and loses its decorative effect. To save the flower, you should rejuvenate the culture. There are several ways of breeding palm dracaena:
- using seeds,
- stem cuttings
- air layouts
- cuttings from the top of the culture.
Details of propagation of the culture by the tip cuttings can be found in the video:
How to propagate dragon seed seeds
Growing dragon fruit from seeds is quite simple. This will require:
- Put the seeds in a cup of warm water. High temperatures cause growth inside the seed.
- Water should be changed daily during the soaking period, which lasts from three to five days. The water is gradually cooled during the day, which contributes to successful germination.
- You must choose a place for future seedlings.
- For successful germination, place the container in an area with full sunlight, preferably above +22 degrees.
The first shoots dracaena.
Podroshchennye palm can be moved to individual containers and care, as an adult plant. It should be borne in mind that not all varieties of dracaena can be grown by seed.
How dracaena breeds upper cuttings
The procedure will require:
- Prepare sharp tools. Pre-disinfect inventory.
- Cut off the top shoot so that a stem of at least 9 cm in length remains on the dragon flower.
Reproduction dracaenum top cuttings.
How to plant dragonflower at home
With the help of cut branches you can get a new palm tree. For breeding should:
- Take part of the trunk.
- Split a sharp object into small pieces - about 5 cm.
- All cuttings must have at least 2 buds.
- To activate root growth, you can carefully cut the lower part of the branch.
- Should be planted in a container with a loose mixture. You can stimulate the formation of roots of honey.
- When the first full leaves appear, transplant the dracaena in a new container.
Dried log house should be treated with ash and cover with a can. The plant should be moved to a warm room. Watering is rarely necessary as the top cover dries. After waking up the buds, several new tops will appear on the palm tree.
On the stump of the dracaena, buds awaken and new leaves appear.
Varieties of palm trees that are difficult to spread with cuttings can be grown using an alternative method. Cutting the palm under the leaf to the middle of the trunk will help to get a new crop.
An alternative method of breeding dracaena - air layouts.
For proper germination, cover the affected area with a piece of plastic, wrap with moist moss and cover with a plastic bag on top. Periodic hydration contributes to the development of the roots of the cutting.
To plant the separated part of the dracaena should be in a pot with a moistened substrate. Top need to cover the cropped jar. When the seedling is stronger, you can remove the greenhouse protection.
Why dracaena does not bloom
Room representative of the family "Asparagus" blooms extremely rarely. The period between the formations of inflorescences can take from 7 to 10 years. The lack of new colors does not affect the health of the palm and does not indicate inadequate care.
There were cases when plants produced buds after 4 years.
Dracena inflorescences come in a variety of colors.
Depending on the type of inflorescence, the culture is small, white, pink or milky with a strong, unpleasant odor. After withering, fruits appear in the form of a drupe.
Palm tree planting material
Dracene can be purchased in the form of:
- packed seeds,
- rooted cuttings,
- adult plants in separate, decorative containers.
The packaging of the seeds of the Drakensky Tree is sold at a price of 40 rubles.
Adult palm dracaena can be purchased in a container.
The dragon flower “Anita” in a pot with a diameter of 27 cm and a total height of 90 cm can be bought for 8600 rubles. Podroshchennye young palm trees on average sell for 150 rubles.
All did not dare to propagate their dracenas. Girlfriends complained that it is very hard to take root. Interesting advice about the use of aloe juice for decontamination and honey to stimulate root growth. After such a detailed guide, I think it's worth a try.
Reproduction dracaenum apical cuttings at home
Using a sharp knife or scalpel, cut off the top of the dracaena with leaves and a part of the bare trunk about 15 cm long. The smoother and evener the cut is, the more likely it is that the cutting will take root. Make a cut in the place of the former attachment of the leaf to the trunk.
Old leaves from cutting clear, and dry the cutting itself for 2–3 hours in room conditions. Before you set up dracaena, decide what you will root in planting material:
- water with the obligatory addition of crushed activated carbon,
- in vermiculite or perlite,
- in a mixture of peat, crushed coal and sand,
- in pre-steamed primer for decorative palm trees.
In the water for rooting the tip cuttings add activated carbon, which suppresses putrefaction. For root formation, you can make any stimulator of root formation. Water needs to be updated a couple of times a week, and more often with turbidity. When the root system appears on the handle, plant it in a separate pot with soil.
Before rooting in pearlite, sand, or vermiculite, it is also desirable to treat the cutting with a root stimulator. To create a greenhouse effect, cover the cutting with a plastic bag.Transparent plastic or glass container. Place an improvised mini-teplichka in a warm (20-25 degrees Celsius) well-lit place, protected from direct sunlight. Keep the substrate in a moderately humid state, avoiding excessive moisture and drying.
The cutting is fed through the foliage, so spray it 3–5 times daily. Add fertilizer once a week to spraying water, at a concentration recommended for ornamental palm trees. Daily air the greenhouse for 10 minutes.
Reproduction dracaena stem cuttings at home
After trimming dracaena and used for rooting the top can remain a piece of the stem. It is also cut into cuttings and rooted:
- in a horizontal position.
Cut the stem of the plant into the former attachment of leaves to the trunk. Prepare cuttings in length from 10 to 15 cm. As well as when cutting apical cuttings, make smooth and clean cuts, avoiding fiber stratification and cracking.
Depending on the rooting method chosen, place the cutting in perlite, soil substrate, sand or vermiculite vertically or horizontally.
When rooting cuttings in an upright position, immerse their lower part 2–3 cm in a moist substrate. If you root in the soil mixture, fill it with a layer of sand about 6 cm above. Cuttings take root in the sand, and then the root system grows in the soil layer. This makes it possible to avoid a transplant, during which the roots are injured. After the appearance of buds on the upper cut, remove the inner ones to avoid thickening of the crown and curvature of the shoots.
Для горизонтального укоренения черенки уложите на увлажненный субстрат и немного вдавите в него. If during the vertical rooting a single plant is formed from one cutting, then at horizontal several shoots sprout.
Conditions for the care of rooting cuttings are the same as in the case of breeding dragon tree top tip:
- construction of mini-greenhouses,
- maintaining a temperature of 20–25 degrees Celsius,
- ambient light,
- moderate moistening of the substrate
- daily airing greenhouses.
Draft multiplication by air layouts at home
If the uterine plant is small and it is impossible to apply the method of grafting, use propagation by the air layer:
- On the bare stem of the dracaena, select a place to form the root system of the new plant, and make perpendicular incision to the middle of the stem.
- Insert a small object, 1.5–2 mm wide, for example, a match, a toothpick or a piece of plastic, into the cut, so that it doesn’t linger or overgrown.
- Barrel around the cut wrap sphagnum moss, top with polyethylene or plastic wrap, secure with a thread.
- Regularly moisten sphagnum with a syringe, preventing it from drying out.
- When the roots sprout, cut off the cuttings with a sharp knife and land in the pot.
Breeding dracaena seeds
In ordinary home conditions, the blooming of dracaenas is extremely rare. Therefore, it is better to look for seeds in flower shops. The best time for sowing is February – March.
- Soak the seeds in the solution of any growth promoter.
- Prepare a pot with soil mixture for dratsen or ornamental palm trees.
- Plant seeds in a moistened substrate, cover with plastic wrap.
- Maintain an air temperature of 25–27 degrees Celsius, and the soil in a moist state.
- Daily air the greenhouse.
- Seeds germinate unfriendly. The first shoots will seem on the 25th day.
- When the shoots grow up and reach a height of 5 cm, plant them in separate containers.
Recovery Hemp Dracaena
After cutting to the cuttings of the tops and parts of the stem of the dracaena, the root system remains with part of the stem. Use it to grow updated dracaena. Hemp cut disinfect with pulverized activated carbon.
Peneck himself cover to create greenhouse conditions polyethylene, transparent plastic or glass container. Keep in a warm place with good ambient lighting.
After several months, buds appear on the stump. Leave only the outward buds., internal remove, so as not to thicken the crown and not to deform the shoots.
As you can see, multiply dracaena is not so easy. This process is lengthy, requiring patience and meticulous observance of all the subtleties of reproduction. But the result in the form of well-rooted and confidently growing young dratsen will reward you for hard work.
Dracaena: breeding at home top
For breeding, a young biennial plant with one tip was taken. With younger dracenas, this procedure is best not to carry out. The plant must be sufficiently developed and have a good leafy crown.
Cutting the top is desirable with a sharp knife. Pre-ignite it on the fire or rub it with alcohol so as not to put unnecessary bacteria in the wound. Since we plan not only to root the apex, but also to get new tops on the mother plant, we need to leave the stumps for the stumps. It will be enough 6-7 centimeters. As in the photo (who does not know - the long side of a matchbox is 5 cm.). After pruning, sprinkle with a piece of peeling at once, sprinkle it with ground wood or activated charcoal. Well suited for this and the usual garden var.
First let's do the top. With this method of breeding dracaena often put in the top of a container with some water, like cuttings of epiphyllum, monstera, Benjamin ficus and many more houseplants. In this case, the process of the appearance of the roots occurs more clearly and if something goes wrong, you can always intervene and correct the process. But I decided to bypass this step, and immediately put the top of the dracaena in a pot of earth. Usually, the stalk of the cut off tip is short (as in the photo).
For planting we will need five centimeters of cuttings. Therefore, remove the lower leaves.
Large pot for planting is not needed. It will be enough to 9-10 centimeters in diameter. The earth can be used the same as for an adult plant, adding to it a little perlite or vermiculite to facilitate the mixture. You can take any other dredger based on peat. The main thing that it was easy and well missed water.
Before planting, it is advisable to dip the stem end into a heteroauxin or root powder. So the rooting process will go faster. After all this preparation, dracaena stem is buried about two centimeters into the ground and lightly crush the ground around it. It should turn out as in the photo.
For successful rooting of the tops of dracaena, good diffused illumination is necessary and the temperature is not lower than + 22-25 degrees. In the process of rooting required regular irrigation and spraying.
Most likely that the lower leaves will begin to turn yellow and fall off. There is nothing wrong, this is normal. After the appearance of the roots, everything is normalized.
It now remains to deal with maternal, trimmed plant. Especially nothing to do. It is enough to cover the penechek with a usual glass jar and put it in a warm place. Leave it covered until the kidneys wake up and new sprouts develop. Periodically remove the can for airing the plant and remove condensation from its walls. Do not forget about regular watering.
As I wrote above, the breeding of this dracaena took place four years ago. The top successfully rooted, but since I was aiming to get a maternal dragon flower with two tips, a new plant was presented. By the way, the new owners, too, have already been cut off. Now they have 3 (!) Drapes at the top. And the former stubs now looks like this ...
In this way, you can reproduce not only young dragon, but already quite adults, having not one, but several tops. Moreover. An adult plant usually has a long, bare trunk. From him, after trimming the tops, you can cut the cuttings and also root them. Read about the care of the dragon plant.
Dracaena: its features and variety of forms
Dracaena - one of the most popular plants used in indoor gardening. The choice of many fans of indoor plant growing in favor of draceni is associated with its unpretentiousness to the growing conditions, the beauty of the foliage, the variety of forms and species. This plant is undemanding to the soil, to the light (however, with the shadow content leaves in some species may become paler), tolerates adverse factors, and with proper care is able to decorate any interior.
Dracaena is an evergreen with lanceolate leaves and lignified stem, originally from the tropical and subtropical forests of Asia and Africa. The closest relatives of dracaenum are the cordilins, which are distinguished by the color of the roots and leaves. But the dragon trees have nothing to do with palm trees, although they are often confused with the latter because of a similar appearance: a bare lignified trunk and a bunch of narrow leaves at the top.
There are many varieties of dracaena. In indoor gardening the most popular and known are the following:
- Dracaena bordered (Draginna marginata). One of the most common forms of this plant. It is a low palm-like tree, with a bare lignified trunk and narrow leaves, located mainly on the top. The leaves are of a deep dark green color, bordered on the edges by a strip of dark red color (for which this species got its name). There are varieties dracaena edged with motley colored leaves. Unpretentious to the conditions of detention, but motley forms in the shade can lose the brightness of the color of the leaves.
The name of the plant received for a strip of dark red, bordering the edges of narrow leaves
The tree form of this plant can reach 2 m in height.
Miniature barrelless form is perfect for gardening windows
Despite the similarity with fragrant dragon flower, you can distinguish the derem dragon flower by the shape and color of the leaves.
It is in this form that this dracaena is sold in specialized stores.
This dracaena is also widely used in landscaping homes and offices.
This form of dracaeni requires knowledge and effort to cultivate
In addition to the above, there are still many varieties of dratsen. But they are less known, and less commonly used in indoor floriculture.
This method is used to update the plant when the adult dracaena has lost its attractive appearance or has stretched far into height.
- It is necessary to properly prepare the cuttings. To do this, the dracaena stem is cut into several parts with a length of at least 5 and no more than 20 cm. This procedure should be carried out with a very sharp knife or shears, making sure that the cut is even, without stratification of the core. Otherwise, the cutting ability to rooting decreases and the chances of rotting increase. The cuts are best done at the places of attachment of leaves marked with transverse stripes on the trunk. From the trunk you need to leave a "stump" with a length of at least 7 cm - then in the future from it will develop a new young plant.
The cutting of the trunk into cuttings is carried out in transverse bands - the places of attachment of leaves.
Cuttings at different stages of rooting. The top of the dracaena rooted in the same way as any other cutting.
It is not recommended to use soil for rooting, as the probability of rotting of the cutting increases.
Video: reproduction dracaenum with the help of apical grafting and grafting shoots
This method is time consuming, so it is rarely used. This is also due to the fact that finding fresh dracaena seeds as planting material can be difficult. An adult plant rarely blooms from 8–10 years of age. In room conditions, you can never wait for this process. Seeds are on sale in specialized stores.
Important! When buying seeds you need to consider that the seeds for planting must be fresh. They quickly lose their germination.
Seed propagation is better to start in February - March. To achieve the result, you need to carefully prepare before planting, and you need to start from the ground. For planting seeds suitable sandy-peat, well-permeable to air and water. Soil must be ignited for disinfection. Seeds before planting are soaked in water at a temperature of 30-35 degrees. You can do this procedure with growth promoters (Appin, Zircon). The duration of the soaking procedure - day.
Soaking helps speed seed germination
After preparing the soil and seeds, planting takes place directly. To do this, the soil is poured into a prepared container (this can be both a special box for seedlings and small pots for planting each seed separately), after which they plant seed, slightly deepening them, slightly sprinkled with soil on top and watered a little. The soil at the time of planting should be wet. After planting, the seed container should be covered with glass or film, creating the conditions of a mini-greenhouse. The soil should be constantly humidified, but should not allow the formation of condensation and ingress of cold air.
After 25-30 days, the seeds bite. This process is not friendly: some seeds can germinate faster, others make it longer. Care of sprung shoots remains the same as for non-germinated seeds: shading from direct sunlight, regular soil moistening, constant air temperature and humidity.
Dracaena bordered (marginata)
This is the most unpretentious and plastic form dratsy. It is easily propagated by cutting and air layering. Its appearance (bare trunk and a bunch of leaves at the crown) make it easy and simple to cut cuttings from the trunk. In addition, leaving the stem with the root of the desired height, you can get a new young dracaena, since one or more lateral processes appear on the stem in the future. The crown of the dragon flower of marginata is also suitable for rooting, like any other cutting.
For propagation of fragrant fragrant, the method of grafting or reproduction by layering is most often used. Since this form of dracaena can grow to a powerful tree with a thick trunk, the correct pruning of the trunk for cuttings will be its reproduction feature. The cut should be perfectly smooth. With a large thickness of the barrel, this is a problem. Thus, to achieve the best result, you need to use very sharp tools: garden knife, pruner, garden saw. Place the cut to sprinkle with crushed coal.
Temperature and lighting
Prefers a well-lit place, but without contact with the leaves of sunlight. Indoor air is preferably from 20 to 25 ° C. When breeding, especially the top (top), dracaenum, you must provide a shaded place.
Purchased in stores, or prepared independently.
Soil mixture should consist of land, peat, sand and humus. Rooting cuttings can also be made in any of the inert substrates: hydrogel, perlite, vermiculite, and also water.
To prevent the formation of mold in the ground, activated charcoal is added.
In order to get oxygen to the roots, and they did not rot, you need to pour drainage and expanded clay or small stones at the bottom of the pot. Also in it it is necessary to provide openings for water discharge.
Dracaena calmly tolerates dry air, but daily spraying will affect it favorably.
But at the base of the leaves there should be no accumulation of water. The tip can rot, lost decorative plants.
To increase the humidity, the pot can be placed in a pallet filled with expanded clay and moistened with water. Another way to increase the humidity of a room is to place a vessel with water next to the plant.
Dracaena bent off
As the most capricious and whimsical plant of the genus dracaena, for breeding dracaena bent need to make a significant amount of effort. Methods of reproduction remain the same, but the florist must pay great attention to the external environmental conditions: temperature, humidity, light, the composition of the substrate, etc. When cuttings, the roots on the cuttings may appear within three months - longer than other forms of draytse.
Proper plant transplant
In order for the breeding of any dracaena to succeed, the following rules must be observed:
- Correctly choose breeding time. For planting seeds, the best option would be February - March, for grafting - March - April.
- All tools and breeding materials must be prepared in advance. Seeds - soak for cutting to prepare the necessary tools, preparations and substrate. The soil for planting seeds should be calcined to avoid further infection of the plants.
- Observance of temperature, water regime and humidity. Avoiding drafts and getting cold age on plants, since during this period they are most vulnerable.
- Further care of the seedlings is not different from the care of adult plants.
- Rotting cuttings rooting in the substrate. This happens if the substrate is too moist. It should be wet but not soggy. Perhaps the problem lies in the substrate itself: too heavy and dense, not suitable for dracaena.
- Do not sprout dracaena seeds. You should be patient: the dracaena, when grown from seed, does not differ by amicable shoots. Individual seeds can sprout up to six months, although more often this process takes 1-3 months. Soaking seed germination will help soak with special preparations (Epin, Zircon or any other growth modulators).
- After trimming the top of the remaining “hemp” dragon trees, side shoots are not formed. External factors are involved. The presence of lateral shoots and their number even depends on the season (for example, if you cut the dragon trees in winter, the lateral buds may not wake up at all, or only one wakes up, in summer the number of buds can wake up from 2 to 5). This process also depends on the humidity, so a plastic bag is often put on the stem to create an optimal humidity regime for the air.
Reproduction dracaena at home - a process that does not represent great complexity. With proper care, the plant will delight the grower for many years. And putting a little effort to reproduce dracaena, you can get several young plants instead of one.
In another - the crown. The upper part of the stem is cut with a knife at a distance of 10 - 15 cm from the beginning of the growth of leaves. There will be no straight or oblique cut. The main conditions are that it is not fragmented and does not have cuts in the bark. Otherwise the trunk will rot. Stem before planting must be slightly dried.
The top (top) can be rooted in a container of water. There you can add 2 - 3 drops of Zircon or any other growth stimulant. As well as 1 tablet of activated carbon to prevent water damage.
When using dry material, powdered (Heteroauxin, Cornevin) or liquid (Appin, Zircon) preparations are used. Они нужны для стимуляции роста корешков. Основание стебля смачивается водой и припудривается сухим порошком либо замачивается в растворе препарата и высаживается.
После посадки черенка контейнер накрывается полиэтиленовым пакетом. Since, in the absence of roots, the dracaena feeds through the leaves, it must be periodically sprinkled with water. In the morning and in the evening the mini-hothouse needs to be aired.
If the dracaena trunk is long, several plants can be grown from it in 2 ways:
- vertically - planting cuttings vertically to a depth of about 3 cm,
- horizontally - a piece of the cutting in a horizontal position is pressed into the ground, without digging it completely.
The stem should be resilient, without damage. The cut pieces should have a length of - 5 - 20 cm. On the trunk of the dracenes are dormant buds, which, under favorable conditions, wake up and form lateral shoots. First, roots appear at the bottom of the trunk, then shoots from above.
The stem itself disappears after a while. The shoots grown from it begin to feed through their own roots. They can already sit down.
The stem of the mother plant that remains after cutting the cuttings is not thrown away. After some time, the lateral buds will wake up and release shoots. In addition to obtaining new plants, the old bush will also rejuvenate.
Reproduction by air layouts
It is recommended for experienced flower growers: the method is a bit more complicated than the previous ones. His step-by-step instruction is:
- a transverse incision is made on the stem,
- a match is inserted into the slot to prevent it from growing over,
- the trunk around the incision is lined with sphagnum moss, covered with foil,
- Moss is irrigated with water.
After 1 - 2 months, the roots will sprout. Sprout is cut, planted in a small pot.
At home, dracaena blooms rarely, budding begins around the tenth year of life. Sow the seeds at the end of winter directly into the ground or germinate first on a napkin.
In the first variant, they are first soaked in a growth stimulator solution, then they are planted at a distance of 5 cm from each other. They create greenhouse conditions, covered with a film on top. When the seedlings germinate and reach 5 cm, sit each separately.
In the second method, the seeds are laid out on a moistened napkin, which is then wrapped and placed in a container with a small amount of water. After germination, the seeds are planted in separate pots.
Dracaena bordered (marginata)
This is one of the frivolous dracenas. Popular varieties: Tricolor –plant that has narrow leaves with a red or yellow border and Bicolor - leaves with a white stripe. It blooms only in natural conditions. Propagated by all means except seed. An adult plant has a long, bare trunk, making it easy to cut cuttings. On the remaining maternal plant, new side shoots will also appear.
There are 2 varieties on sale: Warneckii - this dracaena has a gray-green stripe along the center of the green leaves and a narrow white strip along the edge. Bausei is a plant that has a white stripe in the middle of green leaves. Blossoms, propagated by all previously listed methods.
How to care for seedlings
To speed up the process of rooting seedlings, it is necessary to fulfill some requirements.
- Often spray the leaves on the handle, once a week - with a solution of fertilizer.
- To open a mini greenhouse for airing in the morning and in the evening.
- If grafting is carried out in water, it is necessary to change it more often and dissolve an activated carbon tablet in it to avoid the formation of putrefactive processes.
- The first time seedlings should be in a shaded room, then you can move to a lighter one.
When rooting in water, the growth of the roots will be visible. In the substrate, an indicator that the cuttings have begun will be their growth. On the top, new leaves are formed, buds will swell on the cuttings, from which young shoots will breeze.
What difficulties may arise
When breeding dragon flower grower may encounter some problems.
- Rotting cuttings. This happens when the substrate is too moist. Maybe another reason - the soil itself is too heavy. This problem can be corrected by cutting the stalk and placing it in a more loose, not too wet substrate.
- Do not sprout seeds. Under favorable conditions, they sprout in 2 - 3 months, but the process can be delayed up to six months. So, you need to be patient.
- The maternal plant does not grow side shoots. To eradicate problems on the trunk need to wear a package. This will create favorable conditions for the growth of shoots.
On flower forums, budding growers often ask questions. For example, - "Why do young shoots leaves too light?". A possible cause would be a lack of nutrients in the soil. It is necessary to feed the seedlings with a solution of fertilizer for palm trees.
Some flower lovers are looking for alternative ways of breeding dracenis. You can shoot rooted in floral sponge or raw potatoes. In addition to moisture, potatoes will also give the cutting nutrients.
“Why does not he want to grow for a long time when transplanting the pot?”. Answering this question, we can say that, most likely, the pot is chosen too large in volume. Until the roots have mastered the pot, the ground part will not grow.
Thus, knowing some secrets, the breeding of dracaena will not be very difficult and will be available even to a novice gardener. A little time and effort - and here in the house is not just one plant, but several young ones, which will soon turn into adult handsome men.