Recently, an interesting flower has appeared in apartments and office premises. Its scientific name is Zamioculcas, and people know it as a dollar tree. For the first time the plant was found in the tropical forests of Africa.
It refers to succulents that accumulate moisture in their roots, stems, and inside the leaf plate. A distant relative is a money tree with the same properties. What is the beauty of this tropical flower? Are there any secrets of plant care? Answers to these questions will help to love an African guest in cool latitudes.
View of the flower from the side
A dollar tree is a neat shrub with original leaves that are covered with a thin layer of wax and consist of 8 or 12 separately growing feathers. Each specimen has a fleshy structure in which moisture accumulates in case of dry periods. Similarly saves water and tuberous rhizome. Often it is called the natural reservoir of moisture for a rainy day.
A dollar tree can grow to a meter height, and decorate any home interior. Unlike the money tree (crassula), it periodically blooms with an unusual inflorescence. When you look at the flower from the side, it seems that a corncob of yellow or cream color appeared among the fleshy leaves. In fact, this standing bud consists of many miniature flowers, shining brightly in the daytime rays of the sun. The inflorescence is usually hidden under a light green veil, so it is not immediately noticeable. The photo clearly shows a dollar tree in its flowering period.
Since the plant originated from the tropics, it is quite rare to see its buds in Europe. However, the flower is appreciated for its pretty foliage.
The plant was first described in 1828 by the famous collector of tropical flora C. Loddijes. He called him - Caladium zamielistny. After 28 years, Heinrich Shott, an Austrian biologist, listed him as a tropical plant like Zamioculkas Loddijes. Only in 1908, the director of the botanical garden in Berlin perpetuated his modern name. Despite this, many lovers of indoor plants know the flower under the name of a dollar tree.
Since the plant blooms very rarely, leaves are considered its main advantage. It grows up to 100 cm and above, while creating suitable conditions. How to achieve such a result, caring for a flower? It turns out that it is not difficult. The main thing is to follow simple tips.
Since Zamioculkas is considered poisonous, transplantation or pruning is performed with gloves. Otherwise, getting the juice on the open skin leads to unpleasant burns, which have to be treated for a long time.
Simple flower care methods
Some people think that by starting such a plant in a house, one can achieve wealth and eternal well-being. But does Zamioculkas grow among all the rich and “successful” people? Much depends on the person himself and the circumstances he faces. Nevertheless, people want to believe fables and nothing can be done about it. Let us return to the flower.
Practice shows that home care for a dollar tree includes fairly simple rules:
- In order for a flower to successfully take root in a new territory, you should not replace it immediately after purchase. He needs time to adapt - at least 2 weeks.
- Zamioculkas feels great next to the window sill, if the direct rays of the sun do not fall on it.
- In winter, the plant is better to put in a bright room, where there is a lot of air and light.
- With the arrival of spring, the dollar tree is gradually accustomed to the bright rays of the sun.
As you can see, the first steps of exploring the plant are not at all complicated, but very important. Although the flower and unpretentious, lighting and temperature - the main conditions for its development. Therefore, the best option for him is a window sill, whose window faces the south side. Due to this position, sunlight will freely affect the fleshy leaves of the plant.
Sometimes the apartment is located in the house so that all the windows face north. It does not matter, Zamiokulkas will not die, although his appearance will be slightly dull.
To provide decent care for a dollar tree, a suitable temperature regime is required. Since the plant has come from hot countries, the heat is not dangerous to it. Even if it is + 35 ° C outside, the plant feels great. In the cold period, however, one should not allow the thermometer to drop below + 18 ° C. This can lead to serious problems caused by diseases.
When growing a dollar tree, it is important to consider the size of the pot and the type of soil. A prerequisite for the tank is the presence of holes in the bottom, so that excess moisture can freely go outside.
The soil must meet the following conditions:
Thanks to these properties, the root system will get enough oxygen and moisture. In addition, the ground should be thoroughly fed initially. To do this, you can mix together such components:
- sifted sand
- sod or leaf soil.
To make the earth as loose as possible, use claydite, which is mixed with prepared soil.
For the active development of young seedlings, a quarter of the capacity in which the plant is planted should be filled with drainage.
Caring for a dollar tree in domestic circumstances implies regular feeding. It is best carried out during the warm season. You can start in March and until mid-October. The ideal top dressing can serve as ordinary humus or ready-made fertilizers for succulents that are sold in flower shops. Feed the flower better once in 14 days. In winter, the plant does not need fertilizers. Watering can also stop. Once a month should be "swimming" plants. Each leaf should be thoroughly washed with clean water.
Sometimes Zamioculkas freezes and it seems that its growth has stopped. In fact, it needs more moisture. But it is not necessary to fill it. It is enough just to observe the top layer of soil to notice signs of drying. Replenish moisture is necessary only as needed.
With proper watering, the soil is moistened over the entire depth of the pot. There should be no puddles on the pallet and on the surface of the earth.
Unpleasant phenomena - what to do?
A flowering dollar tree is an excellent element of the home interior, even if there are no buds on it. Fleshy leaves, filled with moisture, attract the eye and delight the heart. The flower is unpretentious and hardy enough to adverse conditions. Yet he is not immune from diseases, the main cause of which is inept care of the plant.
Often, the dollar tree turns yellow, which causes alarm to his fans. Fortunately, this phenomenon is not always caused by the disease. As the flower grows very slowly, the old leaves first turn yellow and then die. New ones appear in their place, which indicates the normal development of Zamiocoulkas. If this does not happen, the reason may be due to the following factors:
- insufficient watering
- sharp temperature difference,
- the appearance of pests.
In this case, it is desirable to take action and eliminate the main problem of the suffering of the flower. And then a magnificent dollar tree can become a visiting card of a house where love and kindness thrive.
The origin and botanical description of the plant
The natural area of distribution in nature - tropical Africa. Zamiokulkas is a houseplant in Russia. The first description of the species dates back to 1828, with the speaker, Conrad Loddijes, attributed it to the zameelian caladium. In 1856, Heinrich Shott called the plant Zamiokulkas Loddizhesa. In 1929, Gustav Albert Peter described the lanceolate variety found in Mozambique.
The exact description of a succulent depends on the variety, there may be slight differences in appearance. The correct dollar tree is called Zamiokulkas, the Latin scientific name is Zamioculcas. In the people, culture is called a cephalic, Zanzibar pearl, currency tree, flower of good luck, celibacy or female happiness, because it has many mystical attributes attributed by people.
It is believed that the plant is crying, highlighting the tears at the tip of the leaf before the rain begins or the weather worsens. In fact, if the zamiokulkas are crying, it means that the room has high humidity or watering too much.
The monotypic genus belongs to the family of Aroids. In the indoor flower dollar tree has no stems. Peculiar shoots is a leaf up to 1 m in length with separate leaf-shaped plates that can be thrown into drought. The surface looks glossy, dark green color. The inflorescence is inconspicuous, similar to a creamy ear, covered with a light green blanket, formed on a short, fleshy stem. Succulents accumulate water in the tuberous root system and petiole. In addition to the tuber formed many fleshy long roots.
The genus is represented by the only species - Zamiokulkas zamielist (Zamioculcas zamiifolia). Among representatives there are various forms with different colors, size, height of leaves. The main subspecies and varieties of succulents:
- Lanceolate got its name from the shape of elongated leaves. Depending on the variety, the plant height reaches 0.6 or 1.5 m.
- Zamioculcas black It has a very dark color of leaf shoots, close to the color of the feathers of the crows. But the young bush of lettuce color, darkening as they grow up, regardless of lighting.
- Zamiocalcus variegated also called variegated due to the bright color of the leaves. At home, the tree grows to 1-1.5 m.
- Zenzi - dwarf variety with a more thickened trunk, very dark leaf-shaped plates.
Necessary conditions for growing
A dollar tree is an unpretentious plant that tolerates the short-term impact of adverse factors. If the location is chosen incorrectly, it will not perish, but the decorative effect will suffer greatly. When growing in a pot, it is necessary to choose the size of the container correctly, fill it with a suitable culture substrate. Excess care, especially waterlogging, suffers much worse than lack of attention. It blooms rarely at home, but there are cases when it throws the peduncle 2 times a year. Zamioculkas is poisonous, when it comes into contact with the skin, the juice causes a strong burning sensation, therefore it should be carefully looked after.
Location and lighting
When choosing a variety in the store, it is recommended to clarify whether it is light-colored or not. A dollar tree needs good lighting, but without exposure to direct sunlight to prevent burns. Most subspecies tolerate shading, but it may reduce leaf-shaped plates, discoloration, loss of decorativeness.
No less important temperature. Zamioculcas feels best at rates of + 18-26 ° C. In the summer, an increase to +40 ° C is allowed, with no problems with the state of the money tree.
The recommended temperature in winter is + 16-18 ° C, preferably not to fall below this value.
At cultivation of a zamiokulkas (dollar tree) installation of additional humidifiers is not required. Succulent tolerates low humidity. In the period of active growth in the evening it is possible to spray the above-ground part of the sprayer. With regular procedures, as well as waterlogging of the soil, droplets of water appear on the leaves.
Soil and pot requirements
For transplanting a dollar tree, it is recommended to purchase a special soil for cacti and succulents. The culture does not impose special requirements, but we need a well drained soil that passes air and water well. At home, you can collect a mixture of equal proportions of sod, leafy ground and coarse sand. Before use, natural materials should be decontaminated.
Capacity for zamiokulkas should not greatly exceed the volume of the root system. It is important to note that at the bottom you will need to fill 2-4 cm of the drainage layer. If the soil substrate is much larger than the size of the roots, it may rot, the development of fungal diseases. The best material for a flower pot is clay. Breathable, allows you to remove excess moisture, keeps massive succulent from tipping over. The first time can be grown in plastic containers.
At home, caring for a dollar tree is quite simple. It is necessary to create and maintain an optimal microclimate, remove dust from leaf-shaped plates, to do this, wipe the leaves with a damp soft cloth. Secrets of care may vary depending on the variety. To provoke flowering, it is required to carry out certain manipulations. Indoor flower quite unpretentious, easily propagated.
Home care for Zamiokulkas includes:
- top dressing
- rest period
- protection from diseases and pests.
The need for watering
Zamifolia poorly tolerate excessive moisture. Succulent accumulates water in the tuber-like stem and petioles. The first thing he needs is to spend extra stocks. If at the same time a new portion of the liquid comes in, cracking, rotting of the root system is possible.
During the period of active growing season should focus on the condition of the soil. Water only after almost complete drying. "Currency" tree in violation of the regime can reset leaf-shaped plates, but first allocates water leaves. In winter, enough watering 1-2 times per month. For the procedure use separated liquid at room temperature.
Fertilization is required from April to September 1 time per month, so that the indoor flower grows better. It is advisable to purchase a special complex composition for cacti and succulents. It is permissible to feed a succulent with a means according to popular recipes. Especially useful is wood ash in a solution of low concentration. Excess nutrition adversely affects Zamiokulkas.
Recently planted young specimens are forbidden to feed up to the formation of new leaves. Fertilize always in conjunction with irrigation to protect the root system from aggressive components of top dressing.
Flowering and pollination
When grown at home, a dollar tree is difficult to bloom. The inflorescence itself is an ear with a small bristle. It blooms on a flower stalk up to 20 cm long, emerging from a tuber. The generative organs of the flower are located separately, protected by a sterile zone, self-pollination is almost impossible.
Zamioculcas blooms only in adulthood. During flowering, there is often a slowdown in the growth of foliage. If the plant does not release a new flower stalk, there may be a violation in the care. In order for the room zamiokulkas to blossom, it is necessary to ensure adequate nutrition, soil moistening, a period of rest.
To form the crown of a dollar tree is optional. Decorative succulent high enough. Pruning shoots often carried out when grown in the technique of bonsai. Removal of parts of the succulent is mainly required when infected with infections or colonization by pests. Also, after flowering, it is necessary to trim the peduncle. When a plant is propagated with a sharp pruner or knife, you can cut a sheet, a sheet-like plate. Greater zamiokulkas can be subjected to the procedure in order to rejuvenate the succulent.
Pests and diseases
Culture is unpretentious, but the lack or excess of care can cause harm. Especially dangerous is excessive watering, causing rotting and death of the succulent. From making additional dressing indoor flower grows faster, but the excess leads to the deformation of the shoots, cracking petioles and tuber. Sunburns of the leaves that are not treatable are possible.
Infectious diseases and pests can be brought along with the newly acquired specimen. For this reason, new bushes should be kept in quarantine for some time in order to avoid contamination of other indoor plants.
Diseases of a dollar tree:
Fungal diseases often appear with cool air and excessive moisture. If a plant is damaged, it must be isolated from other, damaged parts cut off, if necessary, transplanted into a new soil. Spray the remaining mass with a solution of a fungicide approved for home use.
Of the pests are dangerous mealybug, thrips, spider mites, shchitovka. The fight against insects should begin as early as possible, since, in addition to damage to the plant, contamination with pathogens is possible through them. Strongly affected parts are required to be cut off, the ground parts should be washed with soapy water, sprayed with insecticides.
Vegetative breeding methods - rooting of cuttings, leaves, division of the bush. Долларовое дерево — это суккулент, и чтобы избежать загнивания посадочного материала процедуру рекомендуется проводить сразу в почвосмеси, а не в воде. Размножение можно совместить с обрезкой, но сажать следует только здоровые части замиокулькаса.
Cutting off the cuttings, you need to make sure that each has 1-2 sheets and internodes. Sprinkle the wound with crushed activated carbon, dry for several hours. Plant in a wet soil substrate, it is desirable to tie up long shoots to the support, so as not to overwhelm. Rooting cuttings takes 2-3 months. In the same way, the procedure with the sheet plates. Seedlings are considered ready for transfer to an individual container after the formation of a tuber and small roots.
Tuber division applies only to adult specimens with multiple growth points.
It is important to carefully inspect the root system, remove the rotted roots. Cut with a sharp knife or scalpel to keep as little damage as possible.
Sprinkle the tuber pieces with activated charcoal, dry, plant in a moist substrate.
Terms and technology of transplantation
By purchasing any kind of zamiokulkas in the store, the plant must be transplanted, because the soil used in the sale is not suitable for subsequent cultivation. The procedure should be carried out a few days after purchase. Succulent loves light drained soil, good lighting and warmth. After transplantation, it is recommended to provide the plant with all these conditions.
In the future, the operation is carried out every year in the spring by transshipment Ahead of the period of active growth, therefore, adaptation takes place quickly and without negative consequences. To choose a flower pot a little more than the previous one (2-5 cm), be sure to pour a drainage layer on the bottom.
Possible difficulties in growing
Difficulties with the cultivation of dollar trees in the home are rare, the culture is quite tenacious and unpretentious. Most problems are associated with improper care. Causes often consist of excessive watering, a decrease in temperature to unacceptable values. Fading and chopping the foliage, pulling upwards often means a lack of lighting. One of the main signs that the plant is sick, is a change in color, loss of luster of leaf plates.
Rooting of the root system sometimes leads to the death of the plant, therefore, when signs of ill-health appear, it should be transplanted into a new substrate. Flowers take Zamiokulkas forces on themselves, therefore during flowering leaf sheets are almost not formed. Other reasons - lack of moisture in the soil, drafts, sudden changes in temperature, pests. The appearance of specks on the leaves and the protrusion of the roots from the flowerpot indicate the need for transplantation.
The dollar tree is grown at home relatively recently. During this time, it has established itself as an unpretentious evergreen. Care is required is minimal, it is more important to immediately create an optimal microclimate and protect against adverse factors.
The transplanting pot must be stable and large to hold the weight of a tall plant, but only two centimeters more than its predecessor. Zamioculkas grows slowly at first, so it will not be necessary to transplant every year - only when the shoots take up all the free space. This applies to adult plants, young need to replant each year.
In the bottom of the pot should be holes, under the ground poured a layer of expanded clay for drainage. The soil is bought special for succulents or for cacti. The plant is transplanted along with a lump of earth. Be sure to tubers should be visible from the ground. After transplanting plants a couple of days kept in the shade.
In order to grow a beautiful dollar tree, care at home must take into account some of the features:
- The flower loves the light, but not the direct rays of the sun that can burn the leaves. The first time you can hold it in the penumbra.
- The temperature in summer should be 25 o C, in winter - 16 o C, because at this time the flower gathers strength before the new season.
- Despite drought resistance, the plant needs moist air. You can spray the leaves with water or put the pot in the pan with wet moss.
- When the ground in the pot is completely dry, the plant must be watered abundantly, but so that the water does not stagnate. Overflowing dollar tree is afraid of more drought and calmly stand if you leave for a week, leaving it without watering.
- It does not hurt to feed a zamiokulkas once a fortnight with a top dressing for cacti.
Now you know how to care for a dollar tree so that it is always beautiful.
There are three ways of breeding a dollar tree - cuttings, tubers and sheets. The stalk is cut with a bud and leaf, dried and planted. During transplantation, you can easily divide the tuberous system into several parts and plant each one separately. You can plant and a separate leaf.
Move the plant too long to a brighter place. If the leaves turn yellow, you need to sort out the root system, removing rotten roots. The appearance of roots on the surface indicates that the pot is too small. Spots on the leaves - a fungal infection, it is necessary to use special preparations.
His Majesty Zamiokulkas
Yes, it was not for nothing that he was called a dollar tree - his “passport” name is hard not to memorize, even to pronounce.
This is a perennial evergreen with fleshy leaves. In them, the flower accumulates moisture. If the leaves began to fall, it means that the plant urgently needs to be watered.
There are almost no varieties of it, since people began to breed this guest from faraway Mozambique only a couple of decades ago.
Particular attention is the flower that grows on a separate green stalk. It resembles either a banana, or a corncob, or something according to Freud. On one bush grows several flowers. They are pollinated in a natural way.
What kind of soil does he like
- Hygroscopic (well permeable to water and air).
- Maximum loose.
- Neutral acidity.
- At the same time, the ground must be nutritious.
From the purchased you will fit the finished soil for succulents (aloe, cacti). However, it is better to mix the soil yourself. For this will be needed:
- turf and leaf land,
- river sand,
If the ingredients are recruited in the wild, ignite them in the oven so that unwanted microorganisms do not enter the plant pot.
Also do not forget about the drainage (prepare it at least a quarter of the pot). It is desirable that it was not expanded clay, and pebbles or rubble.
Choosing a pot: this is important
If the leaves and branches of the dollar tree grow slowly, then the roots - to envy quickly. Therefore, embarrassments happen to the plant: with its roots, it simply tears the plastic pots.
For this baby, the best "house" will be a thick-walled ceramic pot, the top of which is expanded (the growing roots will go here). From the bottom it should have holes for excess moisture and a drain pan.
No matter how beautiful and designer may be a narrow pot, discard it. In it Zamiokulkas will simply suffocate. In addition, when transplanting such a "container" will have to break: "swollen" tuber in the neck just will not fit through.
Measure the rhizome: take the pot 6 cm wide. But no more, otherwise the flower will throw all the strength to fill the pot, and grow up, and even bloom, will be lazy.
How to transplant Zamiokulkas
- This should be done if the pot is "butt".
- It is better to hold the purchased plant in the apartment for 30 days, so that it acclimatized, and only then replant.
- If the flower is presented in winter, wait until the spring (at least until March).
- Zamioculkas bloomed? Wait until the end of flowering, and only then buy a new pot.
- On average, you need to replant your pet once a year, in spring or at least in summer. If you have an “old man” growing (4 years or more), disturb him less often with transplants - once every 3 years.
A transplant is done this way:
- Drainage is poured into a clean pot (I remind you: a quarter of the volume, no less).
- Now the ground (to the middle).
- We roll zamiokulkas from the old pot here (we do not shake off the roots).
- Fill the ground (up to the sides, leave a centimeter of free space).
- Spray or pour your pet (at the end of watering, drain water from the pan if it runs there).
How this plant breeds
Zamioculkas blooms and has seeds. But almost no one uses them, because it is inconvenient. You can multiply your zamiokulkas ...
Not everyone knows, but a leaf is actually a twig with a lot of leaves (leaf plates).
Work with this twig should be as follows:
- Cut it, let it lie on the table for about a day.
- Process the cut charcoal (disinfection and awakening).
- Buy a soil for succulents (you shouldn't take the mixture you created for the transplant of a large zamiokulkas - it is too “empty” for a leaf).
- Drop the leaf down into a small pot (even a cup will do).
- It can be watered after 3 days (hereinafter - as soon as the substrate becomes dry).
- After 2 months, the baby will grow its first roots and tuber. You can buy everything for the dollar tree “adult” pot. The soil is also suitable "adult."
- Bust tree will be at least 6 months.
Leaves choose juicy, bright, healthy.
- Cut the leaves, let them rest on the table for a day.
- Process the cut, as indicated earlier (you can buy a means for rooting).
- Mix sand and peat mixture in a 1: 1 ratio. Deepen the leaf by a third into this ground (tail down).
- From above create "greenhouse", having covered a glass with a leaf the turned-over can.
- Every 3 days, the jar needs to be lifted to let in air and pour over the soil.
- When a leaf grows a tuber (in the photo), it can be transplanted into a larger pot. It will happen in about 1.5 months.
- Breeding this zamiokulkas will begin at least 12 months.
The division of the tuber, that is, the bush
This reproduction is the simplest: carefully remove the bush, and, helping yourself with a knife, divide it into 2 or 3 parts. Work in gloves and take great care of your eyes - the juice of the plant is super acrid. Tubers must be intact, and each must be adjacent to the roots and a full sprig.
Soil can be used "adult."
The first 7 days after transplantation do not water, and spray bushes. Then behave, as with full zamiokulkasami.
What conditions does this plant like?
- Temperature: from 18 to 30 degrees. That is, the heat is not afraid of the flower, and the frost can easily destroy it, so that in the offseason (when it is cold in the house, and the batteries have not yet been turned on), warm the plant as much as possible.
- Light: diffused, in large quantities. If the leaves will fall all the time in direct sunlight, they can burn them.
- Shadows, like artificial lighting, flower is not afraid.
- Water should be at room temperature.
- The plant does not like excess moisture (if the pot is without holes from the bottom, the roots can rot).
- The signal to watering is dry ground, covered with cracks.
- How to understand that you pour Zamiokulkas? He leaves yellow.
- What air humidity does a dollar tree need? Very low, because it is almost a desert flower. So you can keep it near the battery in winter.
What to feed him
Growing up zamiokulkas often lazy. This process can be accelerated through fertilizing, ideally with compounding for succulents. They should be magnesium-potassium (but the popular nitrogen leave other flowers).
Fertilizers are brought in the watered soil, not more often than once a month. And in winter, when the flower is “asleep”, it is generally not recommended to disturb it with fertilizers.
Diseases and pests that Zamiokulkas are afraid of
This wonderful flower is almost not sick. If he starts to decay, then something is wrong with the care.
- Did yellow (brown) spots appear on the sheets? These are sunburns.
- Leaves turn yellow? Water the flower.
- Leaves and / or roots rot? You pour your pet.
- Rotting stalk? Plant freezes.
As for pests, zamiokulkas may be of interest to very few insects. For example, aphid or shield. True, most often they do not linger on its leaves for a long time (they do not like the leaves, since they are poisonous).
If uninvited guests are not going to be removed, apply an insecticide like "Aktellika."
Signs associated with this plant
- Since the people call this pot a dollar, buck or currency tree, it is customary to give it to bank clerks, economists, and accountants — in general, to all people connected in one way or another with money. It is difficult to find a bank where Zamiokulkas is not green somewhere in the corner.
- It is believed that this is a flower of celibacy, so it should not be given to single women who dream of marriage.
- However, it is also believed that if a woman succeeds in achieving the blooming of Zamiokulkas, she will be happy, including in relations with the opposite sex.
- Finally, do not give this flower allergies. There are no superstitions here - just its leaves are a strong allergen.
- But if you have a mischievous cat or dog gnawing flowerpots, she will definitely disregard this flower. But this does not apply to birds - they can peck even poisonous Zamiokulkas. So if you like to often let your budgie or Corella out of the cage, buy other flowers - this is where your feathered pet may be poisoned.
Are there any other home plants that can bring wealth to the house? Of course! For example, a sweetie or crassula, she is a money tree.
In the care she is very unpretentious, but not every hostess has flowers. You can get to know Crassula closer in this video:
Dollar tree - Zamioculcas.
Zamiokulkas (lat. Zamiocúlcas ) - monotypic genus of plants of the Aroid family ( Araceae ), represented by a single species zamiokulkas zamilyastny (Zamioculcas zamiifolia), originating from tropical Africa.
First described in 1828 by a collector of tropical plants Conrad Loddidzhesom like Caladium zamielistny (Caladium zamiifolium Lodd.), Followed in 1856 by Heinrich Wilhelm Schott like Zamioculcas Loddidzhesa (Zamioculcas loddigesii Schott), in 1908, Adolf Engler, director of the Berlin Botanical Garden, gave it its present name Zamioculcas zamiifolia (Lodd.) Engl ..
The last few years one of the most popular plants among growers has become a dollar tree. According to the practice of feng shui, this flower promises its owners well-being and wealth. That is why zamiokulkas became fashionable to give for birthdays and housewarming. The second reason for the great popularity of the dollar tree is a very simple care for it. Growing plants at home does not require special attention.
Dollar tree: photos, flower description
The name of the plant was due to the green, glossy beautiful leaves. The composition of one fleshy leaf includes about ten feathers. Tree height, with good care, can reach more than one meter. Its tuberous root stores in itself the water that the plant needs during periods of drought. According to its properties, zamiokulkas are similar to crassula or money tree.
Growing in home conditions dollar plant rarely blooms. The dollar flower is an ear of light pink, light yellow or white, covered from the outside with a large leaf. It reaches a length of 8 cm. It is not particularly decorative, and is a bit like a spathiphyllum flower.
Features of cultivation of zamiokulkas
Zamioculkas is very undemanding, relatively easy to tolerate dry air, insufficient watering, various lighting and soil composition. However, in order to achieve the best results in his breeding, it is necessary to create certain conditions of detention for him.
- Zamioculkas is light-requiring, so he needs to choose a well-lit place. However, the first few days the flower must adapt to the new conditions, so he needs to find a place with penumbra.
- In the future, the plant can put on the windowsillshading it from direct sunlight. Otherwise, the leaves can burn and become covered with yellow spots.
- It is good to grow and blossom a dollar tree will be in summer at a room temperature of + 25C.
- In winter, the flower needs a lower temperature at which it will gain strength for active growth in the summer. Florists recommend that the plant be kept at a temperature of no more than + 16C. You can even make a pot with zamiokulkas on a warmed loggia, if the temperature there will not fall below + 12C.
Rules for watering and feeding
Watering is one of the most important elements of flower care. It is the irrigation errors that are the main cause of the death of the plant, so it is especially important to know how to water the plants very well. It must be remembered that this drought-resistant succulent tolerates moisture deficiency better than its excess.
The long maintenance without water, of course, causes the plant to spend internal reserves on its livelihoods, it leads to yellowing and falling off of the leaf plates in the upper part of the leaf. But even if the flower drops the leaves completely, the rhizome will remain to live, and when the watering is resumed, the succulent plant will begin to veget again. Frequent waterlogging, on the contrary, leads to rotting of the roots and rhizomes, and in this case the plant can die without taking radical measures.
Цветок поливают обильно, чтобы клубень мог запасти некоторое количество жидкости, но редко, обеспечивая интервал, при котором почва в горшке просыхает не меньше, чем на половину объема. Use soft water, separated by at least 12 hours, its surplus from the pan immediately discharged. The frequency of irrigation depends on the season. In the spring and summer months, when the zamiokulkas are actively growing, they water more frequently and more abundantly, usually with a pot size larger than 17 cm in diameter once every 2 weeks, and in smaller containers once a week. In winter, during the period of rest, limit moisture to a minimum, not more than 1 time per month.
Feed fertilizer for cacti or succulents, you can use universal flower fertilizer in half dosage. Top dressing bring only from spring to the middle of autumn when the flower actively develops, with periodicity in 2-4 weeks. In winter, they are completely excluded.
An important condition for the successful cultivation of Zamiokulkas is the adjustment of measures to care for him in accordance with external factors. Thus, at a higher temperature of maintenance, the flower should be provided with more light, increased watering and additional feeding, with a lack of light, on the contrary, water and fertilize less, besides, reduce the temperature, etc.
The plant grows in nature in arid conditions, so it tolerates the dry air of urban apartments. It does not require spraying, you only need to wipe the leaves from time to time with a damp sponge to remove dust, or wash it with the same purpose under a warm shower. In the latter case, the earthen room is covered with polyethylene to avoid over-wetting. When grown outdoors, the flower is sufficiently moist with rainwater.
In the pot culture, zamiokulkas can reach 1 m in height, as the leaves grow, it needs support in order to ensure flower stability. For these purposes it is best to use designs with rings.
Rooting and division of zamiokulkas
The plant is characterized by slow growth and does not require frequent transplants. Its root system does not tolerate damage to the earthen coma, so it is important to know how to plant a zamiokulkas so as not to cause damage to the flower. Transplantation is carried out only by the method of transshipment, so as not to injure the tuber and roots, they completely replace the soil only under extreme necessity - if the plant is sick or needs to be divided.
Zamiokulkas division is usually made with the purpose of rejuvenation of the old, strongly expanded copies, at the same time the divided parts are used for reproduction. At home, this method of reproduction has several advantages, since growing a zamiokulkas from leaf cuttings or even parts of a leaf is not a technically difficult task, but very time consuming, and when dividing, you can get a ready-made plant much faster.
- On the other hand, it is almost impossible to plant zamiokulkas without damaging the root system, while grafting is much less traumatic for a flower.
- Divided parts of a long, sometimes within six months, adapt, without growing the leaves to complete rooting zamiokulkasa. How to care for a flower during this period?
- In the first week it is limited to watering, and in the future, if the leaves remain green and seemingly healthy, they provide ordinary care.
Soil and soil from soil for zamiokulkas
Zamiokulkas has no particular requirements for soil. You can use commercially available substrates for cacti and succulents, or prepare them yourself by mixing equal amounts of leafy, turfy soil, peat and sand, for the prevention of root rots by adding a little charcoal there (approximately handful per liter of ready mix).
The composition may be different, the main thing is that the soil for zamiokulkas was loose, air-and permeable, preferably of neutral acidity. Clay soils are completely unsuitable for these purposes, moisture is retained in them and air cannot reach the roots. The land for zamiokulkas should not be too nutritious, the more sand in the substrate, the better its permeability and the more often the flower can be watered.
Container for planting should be selected in accordance with the size of the root system, not too spacious, exceeding the previous size by only a few centimeters. A good requirement is good drainage, it should take at least a quarter of the volume of the pot.
- In conclusion, it should be noted that the growing popularity of the plant is caused not only by its decorative qualities, but largely by its unpretentiousness and ease of care. Zamioculcasses are widely used by phytodesigners to decorate various interiors. They can be placed not only in bright rooms, but also in places with insufficient or even artificial lighting, the flower looks spectacular both in high floor vases and in small containers. Tolerance to growing conditions in combination with low-maintenance and spectacular appearance makes the plant suitable for cultivation in residential and office buildings, as well as in the halls of hotels, medical institutions and other public places.
The plant is rarely affected by insects, apparently because of the thick glossy skin that covers the leaves.
Of the pests of zamiokulkas sometimes occur:
- A spider mite, the appearance of which provokes too dry air, manifests itself in the form of a thin white cobweb in the internodes, with a strong lesion, the leaves of the zamiokulkas wither, turn yellow and peel off. To destroy the pest, the leaves are rubbed with a soapy sponge, sprayed with a weak tobacco extract, after which the plant is washed under a warm shower. If these measures do not help, use ready-made insecticides (Akarin, Antikleshch, etc.) according to the manufacturer's instructions. It is also possible to pollinate a flower with ground sulfur, but only do it outside the living quarters
- Shchitovki, which can get on the succulent from neighboring plants. Insects are hardly noticeable at first, but multiply rapidly, with the stems and leaves covered with dark spots. Adults are not very mobile, they are removed with a damp sponge, the larvae are destroyed by spraying the whole plant with soapy water or insecticides, for example, aktar.
- Aphid often appears if the plant is carried out in the open air for the summer. Affected leaves curl, discolor, then turn yellow and fall off. Destroyed by insecticides such as decis, Intavir, aktellika or phytoverm.
- Trips, often moving from neighboring plants, with silver leaves on the leaves, stalks are bent, traces of excrement are visible. For the destruction of this resistant pest use repeated treatment with insecticides (Intaur, karate, aktellikom, karbofos, etc.).
- Mealybugs, infecting plants in conditions of too dry air, rather large pests visible to the naked eye, suck the juices from the leaves and young shoots, because of which the flower lags behind in growth, the leaves are deformed and fall off, leave sugary vat-like discharge, which settle further soot fungi. In the mild form of the lesion, the insects are mechanically removed with a damp sponge moistened with a soap or alcohol solution, and in more complex cases they are treated with toxic chemicals (Centauri, Decis, Actelic, etc.). Sometimes you have to try several drugs to choose the most effective.
After any treatment with insecticides, the flower is washed in a warm shower every other day, not forgetting to close the soil in a pot with polyethylene. If necessary, the spraying is repeated several times, until complete destruction of the pest.
Characteristically, flowers of different sexes are located on the cob separately, for women - from below, for men - from above, and between them there is a zone of sterile flowers. Due to this structure, the inflorescence of his self-pollination is impossible.
Outside, the ear is covered by a modified leaf, called a veil, 5-8 cm long, light green in color, which makes it difficult to distinguish among the foliage.
Such inconspicuous flowering zamiokulkas is explained by the habitat of succulent in nature, it is pollinated by the wind or a few crawling insects that live in the hot mountain steppes in the homeland of the plant. Possibly, the location of the inflorescence is connected with this, it appears on a low, from 3 to 20 cm, peduncle directly from the tuber, very close to the soil surface, which probably facilitates access to flowers for crawling insects.
- Below are a few photos of Zamiokulkas flowering, which show that at first the ear grows upwards, then, as it matures, its peduncle bends toward the ground.
- In nature, after fertilization, brown berries are formed, containing seeds. When grown in pots, as in most other aroid species, the seeds do not ripen.
Zamioculkas bloomed what to do
Sometimes amateur flower growers have a question, does zamiokulkas bloom in room culture at all, and what conditions for this should be created? It is widely believed that in the apartment the succulent blooms only in adulthood, when it grows considerably. However, many growers indicate that young specimens are in bloom, but only if they create the optimal light, heat and water regime.
Zamioculkas bloomed in the photo
In particular, although the plant is considered shade-tolerant, and grows well on the northern windows, with such lighting it will not bloom. But if you put this inhabitant of the African rocky plateaus on the east or south window, then you can see how the blooming plants are blooming, even at a fairly young age.
- Despite the inconspicuousness and low visibility of the inflorescence, its exotic appearance and the rarity of its appearance gave rise to a number of interesting signs.
- So, the flower is popularly called "women's happiness", it is believed that the plant will bring happiness to your mistress in your personal life, but for this you need, firstly, not to buy it, but to get it as a gift, and secondly, to make the zamiokulkas blossom .
- Perhaps the origin of signs and names associated with a peculiar appearance and location of the cob, causing certain associations with the main male dignity.
It should be noted that if the plant produces an inflorescence, but does not appear new shoots, this indicates its aging and the need to worry about reproduction for replacement with younger ones.
Although the room zamiokulkas does not differ in spectacular flowering, which also happens quite rarely and only when creating optimal conditions for growth, this does not prevent it from remaining one of the most unpretentious and decorative houseplants, which are becoming increasingly popular among gardeners all over the world.
Zamiokulkas flower: types and varieties
The genus Zamiokulkas (Zamioculcas) includes only one species, Zamiokulkas zamielist (Z. Zamifolia). Sometimes in the literature, it is known as “zamiokulkas lodides” (Z. Loddigesii).
Zamioculcas Zamifolia photo
Zamioculcas Loddigesii in the photo
History of Zamiokulkas zamielistnogo or Loddidzhesa
This name was given to the flower in 1856 in honor of its discoverer, collector of exotic plants, Conrad Loddiges, and existed in scientific circles until the beginning of the 20th century. In 1908, the director of the Botanical Garden of Berlin, Adolf Engler, first introduced the name “Zamiokulkas zamielist”, and since then it has been considered generally accepted.
Succulents are called professional flower growers by this name, and its popularity at room culture has brought to life many folk names inspired by appearance, origin, or signs associated with it. The plant is known in everyday life as “Zanzibar pearl” or “Zanzibar gem”, because of its habitat in nature, aroid palm tree, perpetual tree or fat man, because of its original appearance and slow growth typical of a flower. Often it is called a dollar tree, Perhaps, because of the shape and color of the leaves, the price is high enough, or the property attributed to succulent, to attract money in the house, and it is in American currency. Another common popular name of Zamiokulkas, female happiness, is associated with the sign that, when a plant blooms, which happens at home quite rarely, its female happiness finally comes to its owner.
Zamiokulkas flower is very popular in China, it is considered there as a talisman that brings good fortune into the house, and is called beautifully and solemnly the Chinese New Year festive plant, or the plant of the holiday of the Chinese New Year.
Dollar tree: pruning and pest control
Many on the windowsill can see a dollar tree. How to care for this pet, even children know. The pet pet, which got its name from the appearance of the leaves, is not as capricious as, for example, the Christmas star flower, eustoma fashionista or murrayya.
- His homeland is East Africa. The appearance of the African representative is quite spectacular. From the tuber hidden under the ground, 4-6 tall, shiny, dissected leaves depart. Zamioculcas in the interior
- Dollar tree - so called Zamiokulkas because of its unusual, but very attractive leaf shape. This representative for many centuries is considered to be a real talisman, a symbol of home well-being and wealth.
- Watering, temperature, humidity - the minimum care that requires a dollar tree. Reproduction is carried out most often by cuttings. Pruning and pest control are more difficult. Therefore, we dwell on these stages of care.
How to protect the plant from insects?
The dollar tree at home is subject to attack by pests. This happens because of improper care. Therefore, despite the unpretentiousness of a pet, one should not ignore the recommendations of specialists. The most common insects that infect the trunk and foliage are the spider mite and the scale insect.
Insects appear only with excessive air dryness. You can find them with a thorough inspection of the crown. If you notice a light web on the leaves, and your dollar tree turns yellow for no apparent reason, then this is the work of uninvited guests.
Shchitka on stems appears as small black dots. It is recommended to use a warm soap solution from laundry soap to combat it. Processing will need more than once, the plant is recommended to observe a couple of weeks. After a soap shower, the pot is covered with a plastic bag, it is better to rearrange the rest of the indoor flowers to another place, having examined them beforehand.
Plant and spider mite are affected. You can find it on the surface of the leaves. The insect itself is very small, whitish or reddish. It is easy to notice by damage and stains, the presence of a light silver spider web on the foliage. You can fight with such a guest in two ways, one of which is the same soap solution. But it is best to immediately use acaricides, drugs that are specifically designed to eliminate such pests.
If insects are found at the initial stage, then the pet can be easily and quickly cured. It is impossible to delay here, as the plant may soon dry out and die.
We found out how to get rid of the zamiokulkas pests. How to care for him further and do pruning is the next stage of our conversation. This question is important for everyone who decided to start such an attractive plant with leaves that strongly resemble coins. About the care itself was described in our previous articles, so we’ll dwell on the molding in more detail.
- Why do you need a tree cut? Any plant requires the proper balance of water and light. Zamioculkas, whose care is simple, is able to form its own crown, which has a positive effect on its growth, but not rarely does it happen that pruning is still required. In this case, it should be planned for the period when the greatest growth is observed, that is, the juice moves very actively along the stem.
- It is best to cut when the twigs begin to grow only upwards, but not sideways. To give the crown a beautiful spherical shape, you should carefully remove the upper kidney, which receives the most nutrients. Further side branches are eliminated that have grown too large or the direction of their growth is wrong. After such molding, the crown acquires the desired shape.
Preparing for a transplant
- Flower dollar tree after forming begins to actively throw out the lower buds, which will eventually become independent sprigs.
- But you have to make sure that all parts of the plant receive the same nutrition, otherwise the crown will turn out to be one-sided, some branches will dry out.
- If one of the young branches began to grow faster than the others, then it is better to cut it off so that the crown retains its attractive appearance.
You can not engage in pruning in the winter, as the money tree at home during this period completely stops growing. If you start cutting branches in the winter, the new shoots will become pale, elongated, they will not have enough nutrition. The best time to form is spring. В это время все почки растут равномерно, листики-монетки получаются толстенькие, оправдывающие название деревца.
Долларовое дерево, уход за которым отличается простотой, как правило, обрезки почти не требует. Рекомендуется убирать только засохшие, кривые, больные веточки, не трогая здоровые. Замиокулькас тем и отличается от других комнатных растений, что способен самостоятельно формировать собственную крону.
For trimming woody parts it is necessary to use shears or sharp scissors, but the leaves and buds pinch without much difficulty. The plant is easily restored, the lesions heal quickly, completely hiding the stumps under new shoots.
Attention and care
Caring for a pet is quite simple, it resists diseases well, insects damage it only when the rules of care are not followed. Sometimes pruning is required to improve the nourishment of the branches, to get them the proper level of light. As you can see, make a fashionable haircut simply and quickly. Due attention and care will surely turn your pet into a wonderful green creature, bringing good luck and happiness to the house.
7 florist tips
If you want Zamiokulkas to please you for a long time with beautiful dark green leaves, follow the tips below.
What are the secrets of proper plant care?
- Zamioculcas does not like excessive glaze. It tolerates a small drought rather than waterlogging. Given the tuberous root system, you need to water the plant only around the perimeter of the pot, trying not to fill it with the core.
- In spring and summer, the plant is desirable feed up with every watering. And one time - in the autumn and winter. It should be used in the usual mineral fertilizer for ornamental plants or succulents, or urea. Unlike many confreres, Zamiokulkas loves foliar dressings very much regardless of the season. 3. The plant sometimes "cries", which indicates a high humidity. Droplets can also be a warning signal, which gives a tuber overflowing with water due to excessive watering.
- Green handsome can turn yellow, and this is a clear sign of a problem that has appeared. If, with a lack of moisture, its stem frowns slightly, like in other succulents, then yellowness does not indicate dryness of the soil, but rather overmoistening, which caused rotting of the tuber. In this case, the plant must be urgently transplanted, ruthlessly removing the spoiled tuber and carefully cleaning the rhizome so that it does not leave rotting processes. After transplanting for about two weeks, zamiokulkas should not be watered.
- Zamioculcas grows better and develops in cramped pots, therefore transplantit follows after the stem-shaped rhizomes abut against the walls of the vessel, practically “tearing” it up.
- Do not experiment and put this flower in deep shadow - This will lead to a violation of water and air balances, thinning of the stems, fading colors. Best of all - soft diffused light.
- Preferring unsweeted stony soil, Zamiokulkas at the same time loves sprayingtherefore once a month it is worth washing it under a shower while covering the soil. Especially this procedure is needed in the winter, when central heating is “raging” in the apartments.
- Breeds Zamiokulkas quite easily. A fresh stalk should be placed in an earthen substrate or a glass of water, where a nodule with sprouts is formed within 2 weeks. After rooting, the primary leaves turn yellow and die, which is the norm. Zamioculcas grows for a long time, and you should not be zealous with growth stimulants, otherwise the plant will perish irretrievably.
With proper care, the plant can please not too bright, but with such a pleasant "cob" ivory color in a delicate green veil.
EXOTIC PLANT OF ZAMIOCULKAS: SIGNS AND SUPERVENTION
- Peculiarities of care
- "Woman's happiness"
- "Money Tree"
Zamiokulkas signs and superstitions, as a rule, are positive. This home plant is considered a symbol of wealth, wealth and female happiness. The flower is very popular: it is purchased for the office, at home. Depending on the species, it can reach from 60 centimeters to 1.5 meters in height. Its leaves are dense, fleshy, dark green, they are the decoration of any home. With proper care, he can please a very interesting flower, which resembles a banana in its shape or a corn cob.
The first signs associated zamiokulkas with financial well-being.
The people gave such a name to the plant for what it blooms, just as a woman prettier, that is, only in care, care and love. It is with this attitude that he will delight his family with his unusual flowering, delicate fragrance. So women with a good attitude, delight with their beauty and flowering views. Separately, growers mark the shape of a zamiokulkas flower, which resembles a phallic symbol, thus representing happiness in the personal life of any woman.
It is believed that such a plant bloom promises quick marriage, marital happiness and joy. The woman, in whose house this beautiful flower has bloomed, will bathe in the rays of love, male attention, gifts and careful attitude.
The sign says that in order for the flower to bring happiness to the house, it should not be purchased at the store, but should be received as a gift or “stolen”.
In the signs it is strictly stipulated that even in the case when the flower was presented, it is necessary to give the donor coins for it. When a man himself gives this plant to a woman, he should also receive a “ransom” for him. Then the plant will grow better, and in the house, both those who receive such a gift, and those who donated, will always have happiness and wealth.
Upon receipt of the plant as a gift for him, it is customary to give the donor a coin.
This is another name for the flower. It is probably associated with the shape and color of its leaves, resembling a multitude of green bills — dollars. When the leaves of the plant are green, healthy, do not fall off, do not turn black and do not turn yellow, it means that a strong dollar flow goes into the house, the house has an excellent monetary energy.
When a tree becomes ill, and so severely that the process cannot be reversed, and the cure of a flower is impossible, it means that money reserves will melt.
- To stop this process, you need to get a new young and healthy flower.
- A young tree should be placed next to the old one, then the latter will convey the positive attitude that it once had.
- The plant is sure to share with its successor the feeling of love and care that was given to him by the owners.
- Then a new flower will surely bring cash flow into the house and prevent financial losses that could occur after the death of the first plant.
Feng shui experts recommend placing Zamiokulkas in the zone of wealth, which, according to this theory, is located in the south-east. A few coins should be buried in the plant pot, then there will certainly be prosperity and prosperity in the house.
The history of the home plant zamiokulkas and its use in culture
The flower was first described in 1829 by Konrad Loddijs, a famous collector and founder of one of the largest English nurseries of exotic plants. Then, due to the similarity of the appearance of the leaves with zamiey, a representative of the tropical flora of the American continent, he was given the name Caladium zamielist (Caladium zamiifolium), and attributed to the genus Caladium of the aroid family. However, already in 1856, the Austrian botanist Heinrich Wilhelm Shott isolated the plant into a separate genus under the name Zamiokulkas Loddizhes (Zamioculcas loddigesii). Since 1908, it is called Zamiokulkas zamielist.
- Despite the fact that the flower is known to botanists for a long time, interest in it, as a room culture, arose only in the 90s of the last century.
- In 1996, individual specimens first appeared at flower auctions in the Netherlands, and quickly gained wide popularity among professional and amateur growers.
- The growing demand for plants stimulates breeding work on the creation of new varieties.
- In 2007, the first cultivar appeared on the market, more compact (not higher than 60 cm) as compared with the natural view, and, accordingly, with smaller leaves.
As a home plant, Zamiokulkas has a number of undeniable merits. Its exotic appearance with spectacular hard glossy leaves is combined with amazing unpretentiousness and ease of care. Unlike other members of the aroid family, this drought-resistant succulent does not require high humidity, tolerates irregular irrigation, and tolerates a lack of light.
The flower’s popularity is evidenced by the existence of a number of associated signs. Many believe that his presence in the house brings good luck in financial matters, which is probably why people call zamiokulkas a dollar tree. It is believed that it contributes to the flow of the American currency, perhaps because of the appearance of leaves, fleshy, green and oblong. Conversely, they say that if the succulent began to hurt, you can expect monetary difficulties. There is also a sign that it is impossible to give a process from a flower for free, you need to get at least some payment for it.
- When cultivating a culture at home, it must be borne in mind that, like all members of the aroid family, zamiokulkas are poisonous, or, to be more precise, belong to conditionally dangerous plants.
- Juice contained in the leaves can cause allergic reactions and, if ingested, can lead to intestinal disorders.
- If this succulent grows in an apartment, you should take standard security measures: when cutting and transplanting, use gloves and wash hands thoroughly after work, and also keep the flower away from small children and pets.
Today, Zamiokulkas is experiencing the peak of its popularity. Impressive appearance, slow growth and ease of care made it fashionable not only among amateur growers, but also professional fito-designers. A plant grown in a tub culture is excellent for gardening offices, and can decorate any, even the most fashionable interior. In the photos below, Zamiokulkas are used as a design element in residential and office premises.
DOLLAR TREE - TALISMAN BY FEN-SHUI WILL HELP RELEASE AND BECOME A LUCKY
Today, many people know the direction of Feng Shui, which is the Taoist practice of symbolic development of space.
- The main goal of this teaching is to achieve maximum harmony and comfort in the human environment. Symbols and feng shui talismans are of great importance in it. For example, to attract currency to a house, a dollar tree is used, in a different way, zamiokulkas.
- It should not be confused with the money tree - these are completely different plants. A dollar tree does not have such rounded leaves as a fat woman, a money tree. Although in action they are somewhat similar: both attract wealth to the house, contribute to peace in the family, strengthen love and grant good luck.
Symbol that attracts female happiness
A dollar tree is a beautiful ornamental houseplant. Sometimes it is popularly called women's happiness. Although the name "female happiness", according to many, belongs to another flower.
However, practice proves that Zamiokulkas - a dollar tree can miraculously attract to its owner the very present, namely female happiness.
Probably, the appearance of the flower, which is famous for the dollar tree, by Feng Shui symbolizes the phallus. And in fact, the exotic plant Zamiokulkas is dissolved in the time of flowering with a creative cob of impressive size. And the symbols of this kind since ancient times included the concepts of intercourse, sex, love, a strong family.
- But in order for a flower to have effect in this direction, it is necessary that a plant called “zamiokulkas” be necessarily presented by someone.
- And, of course, the power of zamioculcas is revealed at the time of flowering. However, it is quite difficult to ensure that the dollar tree blossoms.
Talisman attracting dollars
The name “dollar tree”, which is popularly used by people, indicates its direct relation to the finances of its owner. This flower, in Feng Shui, has the power to attract into the house where it is located, namely dollars.
- The zamiokulkas differs from the well-known fathead in that it does not need to bury coins in its pot, as required by the activation of the properties of the money tree. But you can put a few cents or a dollar bill under the pot - this will increase its effect.
- And also the properties of a houseplant, called a dollar tree, are favored by dollars placed on its branches, like additional leaves. They are sometimes twisted with funtikami so that the pyramid, depicted on the currency sign, was directed upwards.
- It can also be very effective to increase the activity of zamioculcas, if the dollar tree will be watered with pre-charged water. To recharge the water you need to drop a few cents in a container with a liquid for a quarter of an hour. After the dollar tree is watered with charged water, the coins should be put in the wallet and carried with them.
An important point in feng shui to attract money is the place where the indoor plant Zamiokulkas will be delivered. A well-defined sector of wealth will enhance the properties of this talisman.
It is believed that by Feng Shui to find a zone responsible for human well-being, you can use a special tool - Bagua mesh.
Thus, the plant zamiokulkas must be located in the southeast square of the room. Although many experts on the teachings of Feng Shui consider this statement controversial. They are sure that this tree brings wealth regardless of its location in the home of its owner.
But the fact that the plant zamiokulkas, in no case, can not be installed directly on the window sill, where the sun's rays fall, confirms everything - the tree prefers shade and does not tolerate direct sunlight.
A symbol that brings good luck to their owners
Experts say about the amazing plant Zamiokulkas also agree that it can attract good luck to the house. Actually, according to the practice of Feng Shui, any plant has such a property; it is only important to install it or a symbol that carries this meaning (drawing, photo, artificial model, statuette, etc.) to the place on the Bagua grid where correction is required.
However, Zamiokulkas is the strongest plant in this sense, therefore, it is not worth neglecting this property.
Sometimes such a nuisance happens: no matter how hard the owner of the dwelling or the mistress cares for the indoor plants, they don’t want to grow in any way: they wither, bend, have yellow dry leaves ... What's the matter?
It turns out that on all plants, and on zamiokulkas - especially, the negative energy, which is not noticeable to the human eye, has an extremely strong effect. That is, if the Zamiokulkas tree has a nondescript look, you should attend to the surrounding situation.
- It is possible that the zamioculcas feels imminent troubles and by its appearance tries to warn its owner about impending disaster. Therefore, in this case one should be extremely cautious in making serious decisions, reconsider one's views on life. Lies, dishonesty towards other people will necessarily affect the state of the dollar tree - an indicator of the environment.
- Often this condition is due to the accumulation of negative energy in the room. Therefore, we urgently need to carry out general cleaning in the dwelling and throw out all the trash, especially from the mezzanine and cabinets!
- It is also good to carry out the cleaning procedures indoors with the help of candles, holy water and prayer.
- It is very important to change your behavior: swearing, insults, especially mate and foul language, should leave the room forever!
- Each plant responds well to kind and tender words - refer to the flower, rewarding it with delicate epithets. Sometimes you can whisper about something to ask the silent pet - often the plant helps to be fulfilled in the desire if it does not harm and harm anyone.
- But it is possible that the condition of the flower depends on the care of him? Then it makes sense to carefully read the article about how to care for him, how to feed him, how to transplant, what kind of soil the plant prefers, how regularly it should be watered.
Give others happiness - receive a thousand times more!
There is one more important point, the fulfillment of which can bring its owner favorable indicators throughout the scale of action of a striking plant called zamiokulkas. It lies in the fact that during the reproduction of this plant it is impossible to sell a pot with a new dollar tree - this can negate all the properties of the parent plant and even translate them into a state with a minus sign.
But a flower presented from a pure soul can repeatedly enhance its capabilities. By giving, each person receives many times more than what he breaks up.
Location, lighting and temperature
Loves sunlit windows. It is permissible to put on a desk or bedside table, which are located next to the southern window. Prefers soft and diffused light. In the summer, arrange a vacation, bringing to the terrace or balcony. В зимний сезон, когда световой день становится коротким, требуется дополнительное искусственное освещение. Дефицит ультрафиолета приводит к ослаблению здоровья и экзот становится добычей для насекомых. Но подобная практика допустима лишь с декабря по март.With constant artificial light, it is not able to grow and develop.
Due to its African origin, it tolerates high temperatures. Do not worry if the room is +30. The plant loves heat and does not tolerate low temperatures (for it is below +18). Cold air is the cause of many diseases.
Humidity and watering
Does not transfer high rates, but also dry air does not transfer. From this develop fungal diseases and pests appear. On hot days it is enough to put a pallet with water next to the vessel. With the beginning of the heating season, the leaves are wiped with a damp cloth.
Watering is required from spring to mid-autumn. It stops when the dollar tree goes into a state of rest. Water is needed only after the soil has completely dried.. The amount of liquid should not be such that enough to moisten the entire pot, no more. If the surplus flows into the pallet, then the next time you need to take a smaller amount.
Stagnant water is detrimental to the root system and causes decay. Water is suitable separated or purified at room temperature.
Choosing the right pot
A pot for a dollar tree is preferable heavy but not big
For a young representative of the flora it is better to purchase a small container. Over time, it is replaced by a large one. Preference is given to heavy flowerpots, so that in future a mature tree with a luxurious crown does not turn over. Do not replant the plant in a tall and narrow pot. For a tuberous root system, a low and wide vessel is suitable.
Soil and fertilizers
Perfect soft, loose, with good oxygen and water flow capacity. Enough fed it satisfies all the needs of the dollar tree in nutrients. Acidity is allowed slightly higher than neutral. You can buy in finished form - the land for indoor plants or soil for succulents and cacti.
You can prepare your own soil-mixture of the following components:
- leaf and sod land in equal parts (1 part),
- peat and turf (one part),
- perlite, sand in small quantities.
Like all living things requires nutrients. When growing green mass add complex, suitable for succulents and cacti. Additional food is necessary in a warm season (from the middle of spring to the end of summer). Much attention is paid to young specimens grown at home. The seedling bought in the store is “fed” only 2 weeks after the move. Favorable perceived organic fertilizer zamiokulkas. You can use a weak solution of chicken manure, wood ash and mullein. Feed continues until winter and resume in spring.
Required in special cases. Such as the incorrectly formed crown. Molding occurs at the peak of growth. To achieve a spherical shape, you can start by cutting the stems growing up. After removing the upper kidney, they start to develop lateral sprouts that are overgrown.
After the procedure, Exot actively throws out new shoots. It is important to monitor the uniform distribution of light and power. Only then will the crown become lush and uniform.
Growth is rather slow and a “change of residence” is necessary once every 3-4 years. After purchase, a transplant is needed in a month. Changing the pot for an adult instance occurs when the existing container is completely filled. Green seedlings transplanted every year.
The most suitable period is spring and autumn.
Care must be taken when working with the plant. It can only be touched with gloves. Its poisonous juice causes burns on skin. When changing the pot is important to follow all the rules. This is a lot of stress and is carried out by the method of transshipment in order to protect the fragile root system of the earthy lump left intact. A drainage layer is laid on the bottom of the pot (at least one third of the total volume). Claydite, gravel, shards or stone fragments can be used. The second layer is a soil mixture for succulents and cacti (two thirds). Overly deepening the roots is not worth it, so they do not rot.
On the ground gently set earthen room, slightly pressed down. The final stage - before the rim of the vessel poured the rest of the earth. After transplanting requires moderate watering.
Drying of leaves
If the trunk leaves the old, then it is a natural process. But the plant, devoid of young leaves, unhealthy. The most common cause is improper care. This drafts, cold water when watering, rotting root. Having restored the required standards, the zamiokulkas will again delight with its decorative effect.
The method is more suitable for medium specimens, which have already started up new processes, but have not yet grown to divide. Rooting occurs quickly and almost always successfully.
Having chosen part of the stem, it is carefully cut off with a sharp and disinfected garden tool. The length of planting material is from 9 to 11 cm. It is placed in a glass with water, with the addition of activated carbon. The room is preferably warm and bright.
Water is regularly changed and monitored to prevent decay. As soon as the first roots appear, they are transplanted into the soil.
This method is chosen by those who do not have the plant itself and they borrowed a leaf from the owners of exotic. The process is long, sometimes it takes up to six months.
Planting material rip off a large size. This is a guarantee of the formation of large rhizomes and the acceleration of the development of the seedling. You can take only the upper piece of the sheet or plate entirely. In the latter case, remove the lower leaves. Rooted in water or soil. The earth (sand and peat in equal parts) is disinfected.
For larger planting material, support is required. The use of various phytostimulants is permissible.
How to choose a healthy plant in the store
When buying, carefully inspect the copy. Sellers can be cunning and do not indicate the real age of the tree. The young pale green leaves and short stature (up to 30 cm), a mature representative has a formed crown and a strong rhizome.
Pay attention to the state of greenery. Leaves should be fleshy, taut and free from defects. If you liked the flower "aged", it is important to choose a pet with an already properly formed cap. An important selection criterion is health, full development and decoration.
Sluggish, yellowed and dried branches - true signs of disease or attacking insects. Refuse such zamiokulkas. After transporting home, he requires transplantation and feeding, but only in 3-4 weeks.
Types and varieties
The genus Zamiokulkas is represented by a single species - Zamiokulkas zamielist or Loddiges. The species was named in 1856 by the name of the discoverer, Conrad Loddijes, who was a collector of representatives of exotic flora. However, in 1908, a second name appeared in the German Botanical Garden - Zamiokulkas zamielistny, which is now generally accepted.
Dollar tree: growing features
The main feature of a succulent plant is its ability to tolerate dry periods, characteristic of natural growing conditions, due to the accumulation of moisture in fleshy leaves, a powerful stem and tuberous rhizome. Height up to 1 m and bright appearance allows phytodesigners to use the plant for gardening of premises of various purposes and areas and creating tropical corners with a special microclimate enriched with phytoncides.
The flower is adapted to hot climatic conditions, so the temperature rise in the summer to 30 ° C does not pose a threat to it. While hypothermia poses great dangers.
Succulents require a light, fertile soil with a loose structure that will provide good aeration and water permeability. For the preparation of soil mixtures with similar indicators are used peat, sand and leaf earth in equal shares. When choosing a pot, it is worthwhile to opt for a clay or ceramic container that will withstand the onslaught of growing roots of a dollar tree. To prevent moisture stagnation, a drainage layer of 2–3 cm must be placed on the bottom of the pot.
Watering and moisture
Zamioculcas needs rare but abundant watering, between which the ground in the pot should dry out completely.
Constantly moistened soil can lead to the development of rot. Humidity in the room where the flower is contained must be increased in order to provide the flower with conditions of detention as close to natural as possible.
To achieve a high level of humidity, you can:
- Every day, sprinkle the plant with the help of a spray dispensed warm water.
- Installing a container with a flower on a pallet filled with wet pebbles or moss.
Tip! To maintain the health of a tropical plant, one should systematically wipe the fleshy leafy plates of a dollar tree with a damp sponge, which will not only maintain high humidity, but also facilitate breathing behind the hindrance, hampered by a layer of room dust.
From the beginning of the active growing season, which is observed in mid-spring, and until mid-autumn, the plant needs to organize additional nutrition in the form of mineral complexes for cacti and or succulents. Feeding is carried out regularly twice a month.
To prevent such a situation, transplantation is carried out with extreme caution and under the following conditions:
- A tree a few days ago was brought from the store and is in a shipping container filled with peat. In order to minimize the stress of the plant during transplantation, the procedure should not be carried out immediately after purchase and give it time to adapt to future conditions of detention.
- The young specimen needs an annual transplant into a container of a slightly larger diameter than the previous one.
- If the root system of an adult plant filled the pot and appeared from the drainage holes, then the time has come for the procedure. The best time for this is spring.
When transplanting is recommended to adhere to the following scheme:
- A pot is prepared that fits the root system of the transplanted specimen.
- The plant is transshipped along with an earthy ball into the container.
- The voids are filled with a nutrient substrate for succulents so that the upper tubers remain 1 cm above the ground level.
Growing a dollar tree is accompanied by difficulties caused by damage by harmful organisms:
- Stem rot - in case of excessive irrigation, carried out at low temperatures, the stem and root system begin to rot. To save the plant, the tubers are removed from the ground, the affected areas are removed, and the cut sections are treated with an antiseptic. After transplantation into a new substrate, the specimen is sprayed with a solution of the fungicide.
- Spider mite and mealybug - a plant populated by sucking pests due to dry air. As protective measures are carried out: wiping the leaf plates with a sponge soaked in a soap solution, or spraying with an insecticide, which is most effective with a strong population.
- Aphids and thrips - harmful insects are noted after succulent stays outside. For the fight used insecticides of systemic action.
- Shchitovka - insects, as a rule, fall on the representative of exotic flora from other plants. When a pest is detected, it is recommended to arrange the treatment with an insecticide preparation according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Tip! To achieve a positive effect, treatments are carried out in two stages with an interval of 10-14 days, depending on the period of toxicity of the selected drug.
How does a dollar tree bloom?
The flowering of zamiokulkas, in which an 8 cm long cob is formed, covered with a leaf plate, is an extremely rare phenomenon even under natural growing conditions. However, if you follow the basic conditions of the flower, then at home you can witness a flowering dollar tree.
When transplanting an adult specimen, the rhizome division procedure can be performed:
- The pots are prepared 3-4 cm longer than the root system of the plant and filled with a nutrient substrate with a loose structure and a slightly acid reaction.
- The rhizome of the parent copy is divided into equal parts.
- Each part is placed in a separate container, moistened and moved to a well-lit window sill with protection from direct sunlight.
During the procedure:
- Prepared stem stem with bud and leaf.
- Place the cut powder sprinkled with crushed wood or activated charcoal.
- After a couple of hours of being in the air, the stalk is placed in moistened sand.
- The container with the landings is covered with polyethylene and moves to a warm and bright place.
- In a fortnight-month the roots are formed.
Important! During the rooting period, the cuttings must be systematically moistened.
Despite the duration of the process of rooting, leaf multiplication is considered the easiest way to grow a dollar tree, in which:
- A small leaf plate is separated from the shoot, after which it is placed in moist peat.
- The container is covered with glass to create a greenhouse environment and transferred to a well-lit place.
Attention! Depending on the temperature and humidity, the process of tuber formation can take several months.
Thus, the beauty and eccentricity of a tropical representative is worth the small efforts of a grower, and a healthy and very ornamental plant will decorate any room.