A vertical flower garden is the optimal solution in a situation when you need to close some not very presentable wall (construction), it also saves space in the summer cottage. It looks beautiful and original.
Depending on the place where the flowerbed is attached, they can be located:
- on the ground,
- on or near the wall
- are suspended.
A variety of forms and appearance depend solely on the fantasy of the one who decided to make such a flower bed.
The advantage of such facilities:
- their compactness and a large number of forms,
- ease of creation,
- easy care of planted plants
- isolation from the main soil, which prevents access to pests.
The choice of plants is carried out taking into account the limited amount of soil and substances necessary for the growth and development of plants. The ideal option would be petunias, Gubastiki or marigolds.
Before you start making a vertical flower bed, you need to do:
- preparation of the base: so that the soil does not have the opportunity to get enough sleep and for fixing the root system of plants, most often use nets or plastic grids,
- provide for the laying of an irrigation system: a pipe with holes is brought into the space of the landing tank, the upper edge should be above the ground and a funnel for irrigation should be placed in it,
- laying the soil, which, if necessary, need to be fixed with a grid,
- selection and planting of plants: it is important to choose flowers so that the flower bed fits well with the style of the desired plot of a summer residence or a private house.
Varieties of vertical flower beds
The choice of the type of flower bed depends on the space that the flower bed will occupy and the plants selected.
- Alpine slide is recommended when you need to combine flowers and non-flowering plants. For the construction of the slides will need stones and earth. When selecting and installing it is important to keep the shape of the pyramid, but the plants can be placed quite randomly (low with high). Often when building slides use parts of bricks or wood.
- The flower bed in the form of a screen (wall) usually consists of climbers, is established on a fence, an arbor or a porch.
- Several methods using plastic pipes:
- Vertical beds of plastic sewer pipes,
- Planting plants in double pipes (the inner smaller pipe is used for watering)
- Suspended beds of halves of pipes (hung on a tree branch, part of the gazebo, house visor).
- Decorative beds made of old furniture (for example, an old table with drawers in which the earth is poured and flowers are planted).
Arrangement of a wall bed
The first option is planting plants in boxes, over which the grid is stretched, then the whole structure is attached to the wall.
Another option is a modular flowerbed, consisting of individual elements of different configurations:
- you need to prepare wooden frames (you can photo frames),
- on the back side there is a net,
- the ground is filled up, covered with polyethylene on top of everything,
- frames are fixed with plywood,
- grooves are made on the front side for planting,
- the construction for 2-3 weeks is placed in a horizontal position so that the plants are rooted,
- then the flower bed is set vertically or slightly inclined.
From improvised means
It is easy to make a vertical flower bed with your own hands at your summer cottage, using improvised means and applying your creative imagination.
Such suitable bases can be: plastic bottles or pipes, waste car tires, bricks, geotextiles, wooden boxes and etc.
The most common method is planting car tires. However, they can be located in different ways:
- Tires are placed in several layers on top of the previous one, while the entire volume of the tire is filled with earth (it is better if the tires are of different diameters to form a pyramid).
- Tires are put in a checkerboard pattern, then only areas of the tires filled with soil are suitable for plants.
- To decorate the tire can be coated with acrylic paint.
- You can add decorative elements that will help create a garden sculpture.
- Another way: tires are cut in length into strips, which are then rolled up into rings, fastened with wire. The whole structure resembles a tower with a gradual decrease upward of the radius of the rings.
Flower beds sculptures
The flower beds in the form of sculptures (balls, cube or animals) always make a strong impression and will be remembered for a long time by all the guests of the dacha plot. Make it all very easy:
- pegs of the required length are fixed in the ground (optimally 4 pieces),
- around them you need to wrap a grid with geotextiles and give it the desired shape,
- 2 pipes (with holes) are placed in the center above, through which watering of the flower bed will take place,
- the whole structure is filled with earth,
- in geotextiles, you need to make holes and plant seedlings in them,
What beds can you buy
The easiest solution is to purchase ready-made forms for arranging vertical flower beds. Standard containers are available, consisting of several modules that can be interconnected into a pyramid. In each ground poured, and arbitrarily planted plants.
Another option offered by garden stores is a metal stand on which flower pots are hung. Moduli pots are usually sold in different colors.
Such vertical flowerbeds are used not only in landscaping of city streets and courtyards, but also will look beautiful on a country or summer cottage.
What are the vertical flower beds
Typically, flower beds in the garden are located on the ground, but the owner of a country plot can be a hot fan of lawns, or, quite admissible, the main part of the land plot is divided into a garden. In any case, there is almost no space left for decorative plantings, and therefore, it is necessary to construct vertical flowerbeds. Practically any material or old, unnecessary things can be used for this purpose: used car chambers, bags, polyethylene, chain-link mesh, broken hoses. In other words, a vertically oriented flower garden always has at its base some kind of construction, sometimes quite complicated.
Bulk beds are similar to screens, arches, paintings, columns, towers, pyramids. They also occasionally cover the whole wall, being a suspended structure. Interestingly, vertical plantations are found not only on the site, under the open sky, but also become part of the design of the premises. Also in rare cases, wall beds are not suspended, but an integral part of the building, so that the walls always cover the vegetation. But we are primarily interested in not architectural delights, but the simplest structures that you can do with your own hands.
Column and tower beds
This type of landscaping occupies a relatively small area and at the same time becomes a natural decoration of a garden or a local area. The simplest option is container landing.. In many shops where various stock for gardeners is sold, you can also find containers installed one on another in a kind of tower.
But it’s not at all necessary to pay money for something that can be obtained in a different way. After all, it is enough to take a few car tires, put them in a column, connect, piercing through three equidistant metal rods and cover them with soil. After that, it remains only to cut small holes in the sides of the container that has left you and plant creeping seeds there.
It is very convenient to grow fruit crops instead of flowers, for example, strawberries or strawberries - vertical planting will provide more fruits per square meter.
In general, such a column can be made from a pair of metal barrels stacked on top of one another by making small horizontal cuts and tilting the bottom part of each outward. Also, the basis for the tower beds can serve as a regular plastic pipe of large cross section with holes or a stack of wooden crate boxes. It is easy to make a design of flower pots strung on a metal rod with drainage holes and inclined in different directions.
Here is another simple option. We take a piece of coarse metal mesh, with a side of a meter and a half, and we twist it into a cylinder, tying it up with thin copper wire. Then we cover the frame from the inside with thick polyethylene, bend the upper edge of the latter outward and, having stitched it with the same wire, at the same time attach it to the grid. We install the cylinder into the pot, fill the ground (in three steps, wetting it so that the ground settles), make cuts in the film and plant flowers.
A very beautiful flower bed is made of a thick hose filled with earth, which is swirled around a post. Having strengthened the coils with the help of clamps, we pass a thin tube inside, it is possible to assemble one of several systems used for droppers, the main thing is to pierce many small holes in the transparent walls with an ordinary needle. The tube will play the role of drainage irrigation, it should regularly run water through it. We fill the hose with earth, cut it in the upper part of the hole and plant seeds or seedlings.
Original hanging flower beds do it yourself
If the site is installed solid canopies, gazebos and alleys of the arches, the gaps between their supports can be filled with hanging beds. In this case, it is allowed to use everything that can become a repository of soil. In particular, it is easiest to turn a regular plastic bag into the base for a flower bed. We pour earth into it, wind it with flexible wire netting or an old hammock. We tie the winding above and below the bag, then with the help of a chain or rope, hang it to a crossbeam between the supports or on two extensions to the tops of the pillars. Another option is to make an envelope from the messenger mesh, lay out with polyethylene, then pour in the soil and hang it. Seeds are planted in the slot.
However, such solutions require adaptation, without which it will be difficult to water a hanging flower garden. Before you build your own suspended flowerbeds, you need to think about the irrigation system (artificial irrigation of the land). After all, almost completely closed plastic bag (with the exception of the slot-pockets) is waterproof. Therefore, it is advisable to get inside the plastic plumbing pipe in advance by making holes in it and melting the bottom part so that a narrow gap remains. Having fitted the top of the funnel, we obtain an effective irrigation system. It is possible, by gradually heating, to bend the pipe with a coil or a snake, in order to cover more volume for irrigation.
The original solution could be a transport flight used as a landing tank, or, more simply, a wooden pallet. It is enough to put it on a long edge, upholster the side and top sides with plastic wrap, and turn it over to get a flat box with a slot at the top and gaps between the boards of the front plane. Tilting at an angle to the ground, so that the skin is on the bottom, we pour in the soil, then we plant seedlings or seeds in the cracks, the irrigation system can be made according to the principle described above.
Option number 1. We use building blocks
Immediately make a reservation that you do not necessarily exactly repeat the form that is specified in the instructions. You can make a bed of such a bed that you like. If you want to save time, the concrete vases for the street factory-made is your choice. If you are ready to work, first prepare everything you need:
- building blocks (you can use bricks, gas or foam concrete, cinder blocks), in our case five whole blocks and two ½ blocks each were used, but, as already noted, there can be any configuration
- the plants themselves
- liquid nails, special gun,
- tin plates (you can purchase them or make them yourself).
First, glue the plates to the bottom of the blocks. If the latter are not with through holes, then this can not be done. To do this, “charge” the gun with glue, put it on the block, as in the photo. You may not apply over the entire area, since it is necessary to leave drainage holes to drain out excess water.
If you worry that such fixation will not be sufficiently reliable, then cover the entire area with glue, but do not forget about the small holes in the plates.
Next, turn the blocks plates down and put on paper - so the fixation will be more reliable. Wait until the glue is completely dry.
Remove glue that has been squeezed out from under the plates. Collect all you need together. Consider the shape of the vertical flower bed in advance, check whether all the holes where the plants will be planted are closed.
Apply liquid nails to the first block, put the second one on it.
Install the next block while your assistant holds the construction. Get the balance of the blocks so that the flower bed can stand without any supports.
In the pots that were formed, pour the soil and plant crops. Everything, the vertical flowerbed is ready!
Option number 2. Single pipe construction
To create such a bed you will need a plastic sewer pipe with a length of 250 centimeters. 1/3 of this pipe will be immersed in the ground in order to limit the stability of the structure, and plants will be grown on the remaining 2/3.
In the part of the pipe that will be on the surface, make holes with a diameter of 30 millimeters. Lower the pipe into the well prepared in advance, and from above pour the substrate under the plants of your choice. There are two possible landing methods:
- pour the seeds into the holes after installation,
- pour them there with soil, so that they germinate through holes.
Note! In the first case, the plants can be grown seedlings. Also remember that you can put a lot of similar pipes on the site or build them into, say, a fence.
The advantages of this option include reducing water consumption during irrigation, as well as the uniform distribution of nutrients during fertilizing and crop quality (it does not rot and does not touch the ground).
Option number 4. Double pipe construction
Flowerbed from double pipe is almost the same as from single, but with additional benefits. You will need to install a smaller pipe into a wide pipe, so that watering will be as even as possible. Make holes for the entire water supply. Having established pipes, in wide fill a substrate with seeds or disembark seedling. It is characteristic that the use of ordinary land is permissible here, if there is no possibility of making a special substrate.
Note! Another advantage of this option is that the plants will be stored in winter. You just need to remove the pipes from the ground, lay them out in piles and cover them with insulating material. With the onset of spring, they can again be installed in the soil.
Option number 4. Bag construction
The use of old bags or ordinary bags allows you to make, though short-lived, it is very spectacular containers for planting. They can be hung anywhere, the manufacturing procedure does not take much time. In a word, beautiful and creative. It is only necessary to select plants that are not too fond of water, since frequent watering will significantly reduce the life of the flower bed.
The easiest option can be made from a small bag. Inside it, place a plastic bag and secure with staples in order to create several levels inside. Otherwise, the bag will not be very attractive if the soil falls to the bottom. A few holes should be made in the back of the bag to prevent moisture from stagnating and airing the roots of the plants.
Having formed a bag, pour a dry substrate into it and plant plants that tolerate drought well.
Note! If you correctly select the plants, the presence of the package inside will be optional, since they can take root without it.
Option number 5. Suspended flowerbed made of pipes
The next option to create a flower bed involves the use of all the same sewer pipe. You have to cut it lengthwise, into a pair of equal parts. Equip formed grooves with limit stops along the edges and hang the product on a tree, pergola or pergola. To do this, you can use wire, rope or solid fishing line. Determine the number of levels, as well as the length, the number of plants and the filling substrate.
It is characteristic that creating such a structure does not require much time and effort, but the site will be updated, and the plants will be very “comfortable”.
Option number 6. Vertical pot design
All of us at least once in our life met figures from flower pots. And almost all of them are made by skillful owners of country plots! You can also be one of them if you implement the idea below. Yes, this time the vertical flowerbed will be from pots.
A fairly simple version of the production involves the use of five to six pots and a segment of reinforcement with a length of 1-1.2 meters. First, drive the armature into the ground where the flower bed is planned to be approximately ½. Then put a flower pot on the armature, fill it with earth and place it properly. Далее высадите растение и наденьте второй горшок, проделайте с ним аналогичную процедуру. Двигайтесь до края арматуры.
Note! You must correctly calculate the weight of the pots with the ground, otherwise the design may collapse. For this reason, it is advisable to use plastic pots and a light substrate.
Another use of flower pots is more interesting, since the design can be voluminous. Choose an old, fruitless tree, part of which can be removed. Remove long and dry branches from it, leave only the trunk - you will work with it.
Place on large branches and trunk pots made of plastic, fix them with screws. Pour substrate there, plant crops (preferably bright plants). As a result, there will be such an ornament in your garden that no one has!
Option number 7. We use tires
Such construction gardeners are usually called plants on wheels. Many people know about it, we just remind about it. For work, you will need tires (about five, you can be different), plants, substrate and some free time.
Line up the tires in a vertical shape, alternately filling each of them with the substrate and planting the plants. The landing method does not play a special role.
Note! Characteristically, thanks to this option, you can save space and significantly diversify the landscape. Moreover, it gives the opportunity to grow a really good harvest.
Option number 8. Use the grid
A very interesting option of how to make a bed or flower bed. This will require only a building grid, which should be on all sites, and a little time.
There are several ways to implement this idea.
- Special design. It is very easy to do - you can, for example, roll the net into a tube, put straw under the walls, and pour compost inside. In this design, you can grow several crops at once - for example, flowers and tomatoes. But remember that they must have different soil.
- The structure on which the plants are suspended. You can use pots or small boxes. This will require a sufficiently thick mesh, which would be able to withstand the weight of the containers with soil and plants. The latter, by the way, as well as pots, can be any.
- Vertical stand, for the manufacture of which will require dense polyethylene and, of course, the grid. Immediately make a reservation that, in view of the fragility of these materials, the flowerbed will serve you only a few years, although this should be enough. Install the mesh, put the inside of the polyethylene, between the layers of which pour the substrate. Of course, tomatoes or strawberries in such conditions can not grow, but the original flower bed will work!
Option number 9. Vertical flower bed of old furniture
If you have old unnecessary furniture (a dresser, for example, or a table), then it can also be used to decorate your site. For example, an old table with drawers. To put it in order and maximize the operational life, treat all surfaces with an antiseptic, and pull out the boxes slightly and fix in that position. You use them as flowerbeds.
It remains only to fall asleep to the substrate, plant flowers or greens. As a result, you not only ennoble "possessions", but also give old furniture a second wind.
Hailing from Babylon
Today, vertical flowerbeds are a real trend in garden design, assessed by owners of small areas, where every meter counts, spacious estates and even houses. An unusual look at gardening allows you to arrange a real garden where there is a place, perhaps, a flower pot.
However, you should not consider vertical gardening something new. The Babylonians became famous for their hanging gardens two thousand years ago. And the second birth of an unusual way of decorating the space gardeners are obliged to the real devotee of vertical gardens Patrick Blanca. The French gardener is renowned for living houses like this museum in Paris.
Photos of vertical flowerbeds from this wizard simply amaze the imagination, and it may seem that creating a similar on an ordinary garden plot, very few people can afford it. However, this opinion is deeply erroneous. To equip, if not such a grandiose, but equally beautiful flower bed, everyone can do it, especially since this is a simple matter and does not require any special expenses.
How to make a vertical flower bed at the cottage?
In addition to wall placement of vertical beds, there are many options for their device and on the ground. These flower beds take up little space and are able to become a bright element of the decor of any garden, cover up an unsightly area, disguise a blank wall or fence.
Advantages of vertical flowerbeds:
- Due to the small amount of soil, plants need regular feeding.
- Such plantings often freeze over, therefore the constructions should be insulated, cleaned for the winter in heat, or frost-resistant annuals should be planted in vertical flowerbeds.
- Vertical planting need frequent watering.
There are two ways to prevent the lack of moisture:
- hydrogel, which is introduced into the soil, where plants are planted.
- device drip irrigation. This is the most effective way, but due to the high cost, it is justified only on large sites.
Vertical flower beds from bottles
One of the most popular and democratic methods of the device involves the use of simple bottles of plastic. Before starting to create a flower bed, the bottles should be thoroughly cleaned and all labels removed from them, and the lid wrapped loosely so that when there is excess moisture, it can drain through the improvised drainage hole.
- The prepared bottle is cut in half.
- On the top of the bottle do rope or wire fastening.
- In the upper part with a lid prepared soil is poured and the seedlings are planted.
- A plastic container with a plant is placed in the lower part of the bottle and the design is mounted on the surface to be decorated.
Similarly, from any pots, cans, other makeshift containers and, of course, it is easy to create vertical flower beds with your own hands and to plant any vertical plane out of the bottles without any special expenses.
However, on this design it is better to make holes from the flow of water. And if you wish, such unusual containers can be painted with acrylic or aerosol paints.
Production of vertical beds from PVC pipes
Such flowerbeds are good for growing vigorously growing flower plants, such as petunias or nasturtiums. And if desired, strawberries and many green crops are grown on such columns:
- The design consists of two plastic pipes with drilled holes, seedlings are planted in the external pipe, and moisture and fertilizers are supplied through the internal pipe.
- It is better to wrap a watering pipe with burlap or nonwoven fabric, and tightly cover its lower end with foil or tape.
- It is important to carefully reinforce the structure in an upright position.
- A watering is placed inside the outer pipe, first the fine clay, and then the ground after it is filled into the inner space.
- Plants are planted in the holes on the outer tube.
The original flower pillar can also be constructed from reinforced mesh, plastic film or a tight bag for garbage collection fixed to the flowerpots.
Original vertical flower bed from flowerpots
For growing annual flowers, the vertical flowerbed of plant pots or any other containers on hand is ideal.
Tanks are strung on a reinforced base through a drainage hole in a checkerboard pattern.
Vertical flowerbed out of bag
This option will require a minimum of investment and time for arranging the flower bed:
- Strong handles or other fasteners are sewn to the tight bag and the container is filled with nutritious primer.
- On one side make cuts for transplanting, at a distance of about 20 cm.
- The bag is hung out on a permanent place and plants are planted.
For the reliability of the construction, a liner can be made inside the bag from a film, and after filling the bag with earth, quilting it so that the soil does not fall to the bottom.
Making a vertical flower bed with your own hands, instead of a bag you can take, for example, old, outdated bags.
The living wall can be constructed using a non-woven fabric with pockets sewn onto it.
Flower screen pipe
Beautiful green screens are obtained from horizontally reinforced drain pipes or heating pipes. The first ones are equipped with side plugs and a durable frame, and secondly, holes are drilled for plants.
Vertical flowerbed of car tires
To make a vertical flower bed in the country is easy and out of old tires. At the same time, the construction does not need an additional frame, and different ways of arranging tires make it possible to create flower beds of various shapes and sizes. And in order to hide the unsightly black rubber, tires are painted with harmless acrylics.
Flower bed for the balcony of the old pallets
This is an original stylish solution for decorating any balcony, gazebo or patio.
- As a base fit unnecessary pallets, wooden or plastic boxes.
- On the back of the box is attached a mesh, which is compacted with straw, or non-woven material.
- The container is filled with soil in which seedlings or seeds are planted.
Tips for making a vertical flower bed
When picking up plants for a vertical flower bed, it is important to remember that each of them gets a little nutritious soil.
All species must have similar conditions. And it is better to give preference to unpretentious plants with a good ability to take root. These can be alpine flowers, ivy and bindweed, mosses and stonecrop.
How to make a vertical flower bed with your own hands?
Similar constructions are made practically according to the same scheme:
- stockpiled base
- an irrigation system is created,
- fits the ground, which is often fixed mesh,
- plants are planted.
To prevent the soil from spilling out, you can use anti-erosion geomats, hydroponics, or you can use ordinary plastic nets or gratings that fix the soil, root system and plant seeds. According to the principle of side gardening, when plants are planted in a pot not only from above, but also from the side, you can turn an ordinary fence into a real work of art. Also decorate the screens, arbor walls, arches, as long as your flower garden at the base has a vertically oriented structure.
A homemade vertical flower bed can be used not only in landscape design, but also to decorate an apartment or house. Pick up the appropriate size and shape of the boxes and fill them with earth. From above, secure the mesh grille with metal corners and plant climbers or succulents, creating a simple pattern.
Flower beds umbrellas
How to make a vertical flower umbrella with your own hands? There is nothing simpler: you will need a wire frame at the top of which a flower pot is fixed. In this case, fast-growing and ampelous plants are suitable: long-lined nasturtium or lobelia, for example. You can use a rigid frame or a basket on the stand in which the pot is placed.
Such a vertical flower bed is done quite simply and quickly with your own hands. You will need PVC pipes of large diameter, small diameter pipes for watering, tools for making holes and, of course, your able hands. Such designs look great not only on the stand, but also attached to the wall.
Most often, such vertical flower beds with their own hands are constructed from flower pots of different colors and different sizes, fastening them together for stability with pegs. Original flower beds can be made using an ordinary hose. Install a pillar or other support of any shape. For this purpose, not fully trimmed trunk of a dried tree is quite suitable.
Take a large diameter hose, pass inside a thin tube with holes. After that, fill the hose with soil and twist it around the base. At the top of it, make holes where you plant the plants.
This is a very spectacular view of flower gardens. Hand-made flowerbeds (you can see the photo of them in the review) can be not only an original element of gardening, but a true work of floristics. Phyto-paintings and phyto walls are considered to be the most original ways of decorating the dacha. These flower beds will help to close any unsightly structure, can be used as a decoration of the interior rooms.
Flower beds for petunias
And now let's take a closer look at the vertical beds for petunia. It’s easy to make them with your own hands, but the result of such work is almost always amazing. Before talking about the design, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that the result of your work will largely depend on the correct selection of seedlings. When purchasing it, it is necessary to pay attention to such characteristics of the plant as abundance of flowering and resistance to diseases, resistance to the negative effects of the external environment.
That is why we recommend the following new varieties:
- Supertunia Silver - flowers gently lavender.
- Blue Spark Cascadia - purple flowers.
- Lavender Storm - very large pale pink flowers.
- Prism Sunshine - lemon.
- Pretty Much Picasso is an unusual and yet not very common variety, combining pink, purple and green, as well as silvery leaves.
Making flower beds
Consider what vertical beds for petunias with their own hands anyone can make. If you paid attention, in specialized stores containers for such structures have long been on sale. If you go along this simplest path, then all you have to do is to select containers that are suitable in size and color.
Make a skeleton from a metal grid and insert into it a pot of cylindrical shape of the desired diameter. Inside the frame is covered with agrofilm and gently fix it. Before you pour the substrate into the frame insert a hose with holes for irrigation from the inside. Then sprinkle the structure with primer. Water the soil, let it settle down completely and fill it almost to the top of the pot. After that you can plant the plants.
Beds of scrap materials
As you know, in our country and in neighboring countries automobile tires are used for different purposes. In our case, they will help create original vertical flowerbeds. This eliminates the need for the construction of the frame.
Tires of various sizes are covered with earth, placed in random order, and plants are planted. If you want to give this design a great decorative effect, you can paint the tires.
On a well-fortified basis pots are put on in a checkerboard pattern. To do this, use the drainage hole. Everything is quite simple.
From plastic bottles
All you have to do is to collect the required number of bottles, cut them along or cut holes in them, attach them to a wall or fence, fill them with soil and plant a petunia.
Sew to the usual bag handles and fill it with primer. On the one hand, make cuts where the plants should be planted. Previously, the bottom of the bag is covered with a film so that when watering the water does not spill. Pay attention to the fact that the construction is rather heavy, therefore the basis for it must be durable.
Flower bed-ball for petunia
Suspended flowerbeds usually require reliable support, able to withstand the weight of the structure, soil, as well as the plants growing in it. Argued that make them quite difficult. In fact, such a vertical flowerbed only looks complicated, but in reality it can be made independently from improvised means.
You will need thin and thick wire, a universal ground or a ground for petunias, seedlings of flowers (petunia surfinia) and sphagnum moss. Having made a frame in the shape of a ball, put it on the inside with sphagnum moss, overthrow it with a film so that water does not spill instantly, and then fill your flower bed with soil. Planted seedlings in a ball at a distance of about seven centimeters from each other. Fill the ball with plants, hang it in a well-lit place and pour it abundantly.
Do not be afraid to combine colors in tones. For example, purple flowers look great with yellow, blue with pink.
For vertical flowerbeds to be really beautiful, it is not enough just to make them and plant flowers, it is important to properly care for them.
- Pamper these seemingly unpretentious flowers with long-lasting supplements that are rich in minerals and trace elements.
- In early summer, the plants will need complex fertilizers in liquid form, which are diluted in water for irrigation, according to the package instructions.
- Hand-made vertical flowerbeds (the photo we have placed in this article) need plenty of watering.
- To prevent chlorosis and other diseases of petunia, hard water is softened with iron fertilizers.
- Remove all faded flowers and leaves so that new buds appear soon.
- Long shoots pinch to the fourth bud.
- If there is such an opportunity, during the showers remove the flower bed under the canopy.
Unpretentious strong types of plants are suitable for decoration of vertical flower beds. Возможно использование популярных лиан, к примеру, ипомеи, с ее яркими граммофончиками и кобеи с цветами-колокольчиками, пылающей настурции и эхиноцистиса, конечно же, петунии и декоративных вьюнков.
Достоинства и недостатки вертикальных цветников
You can talk about them endlessly, but the main advantages should be highlighted:
- variety of design options, decorative,
- space saving
- mobile options allow for movement,
- tillage is minimized: there is nothing to dig and weed, it remains only to water and if necessary to cut overgrown specimens.
The disadvantages include:
- A very limited amount of soil is suitable not for all plants, but for those who are satisfied with this, additional feeding will be needed.
- In winter, the soil can freeze, so for perennial plants it is not the most suitable option.
- More frequent watering is required than traditional flower beds: in containers, the soil dries out much faster, and the plants tolerate heat more heavily.
Despite some shortcomings, vertical flower beds can be considered an ideal solution for any site. They are able to harmoniously fit into any landscape. Without exaggeration, this is a real miracle that every gardener can create with his own hands. To do this, you do not need large financial costs and the acquisition of any special materials. All that is needed can be found on your site. And seemingly completely unnecessary things will help to decorate the garden originally. Do not be afraid to experiment, fantasize, and your garden will change beyond recognition.
Original ideas from the vertical flower beds.
Flower garden in the form of stairs.
A flower bed of flower pots which are fixed on a vertical support.
With the help of hanging bags with flowers, you can decorate the old fence in the country.
Wooden pallet and pots of plastic bottles.
Hooks from tablespoons for hanging pots.
The use of wooden boxes for vertical flower garden.
You can decorate even an old tree.
The original flower garden of flower pots.
Suspended pots with flowers visually increase the space of the site.
Vertical flower garden from a plastic pipe.
Flower beds on the wall of the house.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a vertical flower garden?
The advantages of vertical flowerbeds in their originality and the ability to decorate vertical structures - fences, fences, walls of the house, a gazebo. With the help of vertical flower beds you can create a recreation area in the garden or on the veranda.
If we talk about the shortcomings, then in vertical beds, there is only one drawback - in hot weather there is a rapid drying of the soil in the tanks, so the flower beds require frequent watering.