Planting a lawn with your own hands is an event that requires time, knowledge, desire and a great mood! This is the only way to create an ideal decorative zone for which it is necessary to correctly select perennial grasses, determine the area, clear out and level the area. It remains to determine the time (spring or autumn), as well as the method of sowing. Sow green carpet can be traditional manual, hydro-or mechanical method using a seeder.
Better time to plant a lawn
Anyone who has decided to organize a perennial green lawn in front of the house is concerned with the question of when it is better to plant a lawn: in spring or autumn? After all, you do not want to waste your energy, seeds, and most importantly, do not see the planned emerald miracle! You need to choose according to the advice and your own free time.
Spring or autumn: features of planting decorative lawn
So, the timing of planting the green zone varies in time. It may be early spring, as soon as the earth warms a little, late summer or early autumn, or the time just before frosts, that is, the end of October. In order to choose the time for landing correctly, you need to consider:
- Warming and soil moisture. The most favorable time is the end of August and the beginning of September. The soil is already well warmed and moistened with summer rains, the early spring months are fraught with low ground temperature, and the late fall is drought.
- The presence of a minimum number of weeds. Planting a lawn in early spring is a constant struggle with weeds, which are just waking up at this time, the end of summer-autumn is the best option for uniform germination of lawn grass.
- Temperature mode. Perennial lawn grass quite adequately tolerates short-term frosts on the ground to -5 degrees. Therefore, in spring and late autumn, planting is possible, but is most desirable at the beginning of autumn, when sprouting sprouts have time to root properly.
It becomes clear that each time period of planting a green lawn has its positive and negative points, but in principle, planting a lawn in the autumn is as possible as in early spring. And the question is: at what temperature should the lawn be planted, has the only answer - only with a positive and not lower than + 2 + 5 degrees!
Pros and cons of landing at certain times of the year
Having decided to plant a lawn in October, it is worth being prudent and moving the event to another month. The fact is that in October the ground is still quite warm, which will allow the seeds to germinate quickly. The negative point is frequent and prolonged frosts that will beat the young plants.
It is better to postpone the autumn planting in September - the earth is warm, there is enough moisture and frost far, or in November. Although no seedlings will appear in November, the seeds will lie in the ground, the special temperature conditions will help them to get stronger and stand together in spring.
But the lawn planting in September, at the very beginning, is an excellent time for the appearance of uniform shoots, their hardening and full confidence of the owner that the green lawn will delight him in the spring. At this time, it is comfortable to carry out the preparatory work, it is easier to keep the bed fallow after the introduction of herbicides, no need to deal with weeds (since this is a stage already passed). The only negative point is low humidity, but this can be corrected by artificial irrigation.
Spring planting a lawn with your own hands is a haste and painstaking affair, because you need to be in time for the heat and determine the place (there is still snow in one area, the other, in a hollow area, is overmoistened).
At the same time, you shouldn’t forget about weed control, shrinking of the area for sowing and other trifles. Now, if you prepare a lot from autumn - then please! Despite the many difficulties of spring sowing, it has an indisputable advantage: resistant, powerful young plants that will easily go into the first wintering and carry it well.
Grass Selection for Lawn: Important Points
Many who want to create a lawn on their site do not know which grass to plant for the lawn. Only something from cereal or clover comes to mind. But these options are far from the best, because there is already a special perennial grass for the lawn, which has optimal characteristics.
Ornamental lawn plants and requirements
Beautiful lawn grass is not only emerald green, resistance to trampling, but also other characteristics. It is those who will allow to sow a mixture of grass for a lawn once and enjoy the result for many years.
So, grass lawn should be:
- decorative, that is beautiful and attractive. I want to have a picnic or sunbathe on such a natural carpet,
- frost-resistant and resistant to trampling (to have a quick recovery),
- resistant to mechanical damage, growing on difficult soils. The important point is a strong root system,
- easy to mow, susceptible to fertilizers, rapidly increasing,
- breeding vegetatively.
Every landscape designer knows how to choose grass for the lawn without hassle. An important point - a competent choice of seeds for planting. It is not necessary to buy a bag on the market from a grandmother, because a quality product cannot cost 3 kopecks. Preference should be given to company stores, and the seeds should be chosen (only certified!) For climatic features and certain soil of the region!
Types of lawns and their features
To accurately answer which grass seed is best for lawn. It is necessary to decide on its type. In total, there are four:
- meadow grassland is used here
- ground floor - perfectly smooth and thick coating that requires regular haircuts,
- Moorish - a flowering lawn, on which a mixture of meadow grasses and unpretentious flowers is grown,
- sports - coating of resistant to trampling plants. Suitable for playgrounds and areas for outdoor activities.
Parquet lawn will require the most time and labor. At home, most often create a meadow or Moorish lawn.
Lawn grass varieties: selection criteria
Unpretentious grass for the lawn in the country - one that is not demanding for irrigation and weather conditions, for care and other important details. Therefore, choosing a certain variety, it is worth considering:
- climatic and soil conditions
- lawn purpose (special, sports, decorative),
- frequency and features of care.
Only by weighing your own strength, determining the possibilities of care, you can understand what kind of grass is better suited for a lawn. In this decorative area may consist of only one type or be a mixture of several that are suitable to each other. You can choose the classic varieties that are used most often. It is a red fescue, a meadow meadowfoot and a thin benthole.
These plants are frost-resistant and perfectly maintain the climate of the Russian regions, have a high reproduction rate, delight with frequent bevels that do not harm the plant at all. At the same time, a significant density of planting (per 1 sq. M grows to 30,000 plants) allows you not to worry about seeding and weeds: the roots form a dense turf, through which weeds do not break through!
You can add these plants to the company:
- bluegrass marsh in case of high soil moisture. The term of life is up to 8 years, the perfect combination with white bent,
- bluegrass oakwood, which feels great in the penumbra. The only drawback - does not like frequent mowing,
- dog-povitsu, if few people will walk around the site and if its goal is purely decorative. Separately grown emerald blades of grass will delight saturation of hue, velvet and softness.
Planting a lawn with his own hands, taking into account every detail
How to start, to the courtyard territory pleased green lawn? How to make a lawn in the country with their own hands neatly, correctly and correctly? There are answers, and it’s worth starting small!
Video: Site preparation and important points
Site planning with respect to slope and groundwater
First you need to figure out how to plan the land under the lawn, so that it comes to a place, is easy to care for, and is pleasing to the eye. The process must begin with the inspection of its own site. The lawn is a perennial miracle, therefore, permanent. And it will be great to feel only where there is enough natural light (depending on what type of grass is chosen), the ground waters are low (and they cannot re-moisten the roots), a flat surface.
Therefore, the layout of the site under the lawn includes the steps:
- The choice of site for landing. Area - at the request of the owner, but you should avoid irregular shapes (if possible), which will complicate care and mowing. Ideal - the correct form.
- Inspection. On the plot there should not be big stumps (they should be uprooted) and it should be even or with a minimum slope. Do not forget that when watering water will stagnate in the hollow, and in this place will begin to lock, losing the aesthetic appearance.
- Analysis of the groundwater level. If the selected area is always wet - it is necessary to choose the appropriate ornamental grass for planting, if the sun is enough - to ensure proper watering.
- Spil huge branches of trees, if the decorative area is partially under the tree, there is no other way around it.
- The choice of the optimal width of the tracks, passing near the borders of the green area, so that it was easy to transport the seeder or lawn mower along them.
Simple rules make it easy to organize a perennial lawn with your own hands, with a minimum of effort. And she fascinates and conquers!
Site preparation for planting grass
Choosing a place for a decorative zone is only half the battle. The second half is the breakdown of the lawn on the site itself. This event includes not only preparing the ground itself, leveling the site and clearing it of debris, but also distributing it into zones.
At this stage, you need to sketch out on paper (or on the ground, if possible), outline the shape and space for the tracks, the place for the elements of automatic irrigation, mini-zones for perennial plants or shrubs, annual flowers. And also designate areas for decoration and even the LFA, if this is part of a single planned concept of a future lawn.
It is necessary to begin the preparation of the territory for lawn with the cleaning of rubbish and garbage, and to continue with the clearing of stumps (if any) and even the dismantling of dilapidated buildings, to which no one cares. Now the territory is free from unnecessary and you need to understand how to handle virgin soil.
Processing the area under the lawn implies a weed control. A great option is to remove the fertile soil layer with a bayonet spade, then re-seed and ignite on the fire, returning it to its place. But this is possible if the area is small. What if the territory is extensive? Use roundup or similar tools to permanently get rid of weeds! Do not forget that after this lawn can be planted no earlier than six weeks!
So, the work has been done, but one question remains relevant: how to prepare the ground for a lawn and do you need to spend time on it? Undoubtedly, if the ground requires adjustment! In case the land is poor - it is worth enriching it with organic matter. A great solution is humus. If the soil is heavy, sand is poured in; if light soil, it is weighted with a layer of clay under a layer of fertile land. It is worth remembering that work with the soil should be carried out a month before planting the seeds!
Leveling and compaction
So, important preparatory work has been carried out, it is time to decide how to level the ground under the lawn. This is necessary if there is a bias: you should not allow water to stagnate in a certain area, because it will lose its appearance. Such a procedure can be carried out with the help of choppers and shovels, first knocking the hummocks, the second one falling asleep holes. This is hard work, but its coverage is a small area.
You can simplify the process by making a device for leveling the ground under a lawn or use the service of specialized equipment. A bulldozer with special equipment or a grader will help to cope with large volumes of land simply and without hassle!
The plot is selected, cleaned, leveled, weeds destroyed. It remains to figure out whether to compact the soil under the lawn? The answer is unequivocal: yes, it is necessary. And this is not a whim, but a real necessity. The compacted earth will allow to sow the seeds evenly (they will not fall into microcracks and pits), will give the opportunity to sprout shoots together, to form a dense turf, which will not miss the weeds.
How to help yourself in this case? In a small area, you can use a plank or a trowel (like the one that is used for plastering walls) or a special small roller.
In order to forget about weeds for a long time, geotextiles should be laid on the ground, and only then fertile soil should be poured.
Lawn Grass Seeding Rules
Many are puzzled: how to sow the lawn: by hand or trust in innovative mechanisms? What should be the consumption of seeds per 1m 2 lawn? How to save, but at the same time get a uniform and dense germination?
If the site is small, then you can do the job with your own hands. Procedure:
- Mix lawn grass seeds well. You can shake the package or stir it by hand.
- Gently fan the surface of the marked area to get shallow grooves. Keep in mind that you need to sow 8 cm beyond the planned area on each side. This technique helps to get even outlines.
- The seeding rate of a lawn per weave depends on the selected variety of ornamental grass and is indicated on the packaging. If there is no information, then take on the basis of consumption of 30–60 g per square meter.
- Sow the seeds evenly.
- Again, walk around the site rake.
- Roll the lawn with rollers or other devices up and down.
- Immediately pour and then water the area every day. Meetings should appear in one to three weeks.
For detailed instructions, see the video.
Video: How to sow lawn yourself
Mechanized planting seeder and hydro seeding
From neighbors or experienced gardeners you can hear this: "We sow the lawn only with the help of a seeder." And this is the right step, because the advantages of this method are as follows:
- landing speed. In one day, you can sow a large area and not get tired,
- minimum labor costs that are never considered
- seed savings, therefore, the family budget. The consumption of seeds per weave depends not only on the selected variety of ornamental grass, but also on the method of planting: for a seeder, this is an indicator of 4-5 kg (per 1m 2 - 40-50 g), and you can manually squeeze a dozen kg in vain.
The lawn seed drill can be selected depending on the area and other factors that are important to the owner. For example, a mechanical planter for a lawn can become a peculiar way of earning, if there is a demand to sow a green meadow not only at home, but a manual planter for a lawn is ideal for an amateur, and its cost is minimal.
But if you want something modern and optimal, you should pay attention to the lawn hydroseeding. This method describes:
- rapid, uniform distribution of seeds throughout the soil,
- simultaneous application (with seeds) of necessary fertilizers,
- landing in the most inaccessible places
- reduction of soil aeration,
- seedling protection under the cover of paste.
To do this, you can purchase special equipment in which it is possible to mix fertilizers, seeds, water, paste and coloring matter. The latter will show the uniformity of planting seeds. And you can do everything yourself, there would be a desire!
In a word, planting a green decorative carpet is a laborious process and requires a scrupulous approach. But if you follow the stages of the plan, it does not seem so difficult. Do not want to bother yourself? You can trust the profile specialists who quickly and competently cope with the task. And the lawn will delight with brightness, richness and freshness in any case!
“And we are dreaming of grass, grass near the house, green, green grass ...” It is a juicy emerald rug under your feet that sleep. Further
Few people enjoy the daily watering the lawn near the house with a hose. Yes, and the quality of such irrigation. Further
To make the lawn look tidy and green, one of the important conditions is the correct mowing. Important as timely first. Further
Ready grass cover in a roll is a solution for those who want to get a presentable appearance of the lawn already. Further
Lawn grass must be fed all year round so that it does not lose its attractiveness. Fertilizer lawn start when. Further
Competent lawn care in the fall and its preparation for winter is a pledge of a beautiful emerald lawn in spring-summer. Further
A well-groomed green lawn in front of the house is a wonderful decoration of the territory. Looking at her is a pleasure. However, the creation. Further
How to grow your own perfect lawn
To grow a lawn with your own hands, you need to choose the right grass seed. It is best to get accustomed to the mixture, since different types of lawn will complement each other by different parameters. On average, one weave of land needs up to 5 kg of seeds. In addition, it is necessary to purchase them in reserve, because in the future you will have to trim the damaged areas. Помимо семян садоводу необходимо «прикупить» терпение, поскольку выращивание идеального газона - дело не дня и даже не недели.
Далее следует разобраться, как подготовить почву для газонной травы. Если вы решили посадить газон весной, перекопать и разровнять землю рекомендуется еще осенью. The little secret is to get the mulch or the usual forest soil and scatter it on the surface in a thin layer. This will not allow the crust to form after watering, which, in turn, will allow the grass roots to breathe.
Another question - when to sow lawn grass? April or May is the best time for sowing. Angles and edges of the site should be given special attention, because there gets the least amount of seeds. It is better to wait until the weather is calm and dry. After sowing, seeds are tamped into the ground with the help of an ordinary rake. Next, use a special compacting roller small size.
Watering is the main part of sowing. Do not use a water jet. Water should be sprayed over the ground. To create a "fog" you can buy a special nozzle on the hose in a specialty store. It is recommended for watering to use water at room temperature - this will greatly accelerate the shoots. Then you need to cover the area with plastic wrap to protect the seeds from hungry birds and cool.
It is important to know when to mow the lawn for the first time. As a rule, the grass should grow to 5-8 centimeters. The first few times it is better to set a high level on the lawn mower. Over time, it can be gradually reduced.
Patience is the main assistant in this difficult task. If the result is needed instantly, it is better to pay attention to herbal carpets. For them, you only need to level the soil and lay a special coating, which grows the manufacturer for two years. But this pleasure will hit the pocket, unlike the first option.
- 50 lawn ideas with your own hands: how and when to sow lawn grass
How to make a lawn in the country with their own hands: a step-by-step landing instruction
It’s not for nothing that in the summer many of us move from noisy and bustling metropolises to quiet, cozy summer cottages. I want rest and tranquility for body and soul. Although it is unlikely that the body will be able to rest, you still can’t sit idle at the dacha, there will definitely be some occupation. But with your soul you can relax in full, especially if you arrange everything there with taste - a lawn, a small pond or a fountain, and a lot of flowers in flowerbeds, flowerpots, hanging pots. Let's first focus on how to make a lawn in the country with their own hands.
Ask the dacha residents a question, and they will tell you in one voice that it’s a painstaking, but incredibly exciting and pleasant business, especially when the result is decent.
Choosing a green lawn
Before you make a lawn in the country, you must clearly define the type of coating and its functional purpose.
It is only at first glance it seems that the lawns are all the same - even and green. In fact, there are several varieties of lawn cover, and they all differ significantly from each other.
English and parterre lawns play the role of a decorative element of the dacha landscape. They are sown with expensive seeds of tender grass, such coatings require regular and especially careful care, they do not walk on these lawns, they are only admired.
Sports and children's lawns are sown with specially selected seed formulations, to end up with a tough, dense grass, not too whimsical in care. Such coatings consistently tolerate trampling, they can have a swing and slides for children, play sports, and play active games.
Landscape lawns - the best option to give. By this type of coverage you can walk, as part of grass mixture selected seeds of undemanding plants that can take root in the shade, care for such a lawn is easy. It will be ideal if you want to equip a recreation area or a pool area at your summer cottage.
Meadow or Moorish lawns should be planted by true lovers of wildlife, they look like motley lawns in the middle of the forest, which bloom from spring to late autumn. This is how the grass mixture is selected, that with the end of the flowering period in some plants, they are replaced by blossoming others. It is undesirable to walk along such flowering glades, but they do not need to be cut (only once at the end of the season, when all the plants fade), due to this they are often called “for the lazy” lawns.
Choosing a location
Where the future lawn will be located is an important factor, so do not neglect it and think that green grass can grow anywhere. There are several nuances that you must take note of when choosing a lawn area:
- Lawns English and parterny grow only on the open, flooded with sunlight places, do not even try to arrange them under the shade of trees.
- Do not sow the lawn in those places where you often walk or ride, trampling the same area will lead to the death of lawn grass. If everything is so planned out that the lawn is going to be a passage, then in a place of constant walking or driving, arrange a garden path made of tiles.
- Any kind of lawn will grow badly in the shade of the trees. First of all, due to the fact that the tree with its rhizomes takes everything useful from the soil, thereby creating a lack of nutrients to the root system of lawn plants. And then, a tree is still a permanent shadow that no grass tolerates. Again, if you have so marked your plot that there should be a lawn covering under the tree, then you will have to plant special plants - shade-tolerant fescue (meadow or red), meadow bluegrass.
- Not too good place for a lawn will be a territory with slopes. At such a site, the soil is washed out by rainwater and often eroded. We'll have to slopes somehow smooth out or apply a reinforced mesh, it will hold the ground, will not allow it to slip and sprinkle.
- It is not recommended to equip lawn coverings in low-lying areas, moisture may collect there, which will lead to rotting of the root system. If there is no other option, you will need to install a good drainage system on the site.
Making a lawn with your own hands
So, you have clearly decided which type of lawn you want to see on your summer cottage - whether you will admire it, or arrange parties, picnics and patios with friends. Then they took into account all the tips and recommendations, and chose the right place for their future grass carpet. It remains the case for small - to plant and grow a lawn in the country with their own hands. The step-by-step instruction provides for several main stages and activities:
- General cleaning of the selected area. The area of the future lawn must be cleaned of any debris (stumps, stones and branches, old trees and shrubs, remnants of building materials).
- Weed control. This can be done in two ways. Or, we can remove each weed manually using a scapula, trying to dig as deep as possible to extract the entire root. Otherwise, if some part of the root remains, all the work will be a waste, a weed plant from the root will grow again. The second option is to remove weeds from the plot with the help of chemical herbicidal preparations. It is advisable to do this in the autumn period, so that the chemical itself decomposes in the soil during the winter and then does not cause damage to the young lawn grass.
- Arrangement of the drainage system, this event is carried out as necessary, in the case when water stagnation is observed in the selected area.
- Planning lawn area. The site should be leveled as much as possible, dig up with a shovel and then process the rake.
- Tamping the soil. This can be done with a garden roller or with its own weight, moving around the lawn in small steps.
- Soil loosening is performed using a rake just before the sowing of seeds.
- Sowing of seeds is done manually or using special seeders-spreaders. To ensure a uniform sowing, the seeds should be scattered first along the surface of the lawn, then across.
- Soil compaction, once again it is necessary to go over the entire surface of the roller to ensure the most intimate contact of the seeds with the soil.
- Abundant watering seeded lawn. In no case do not use a hose with a high jet pressure of water, it is necessary to use a spray nozzle, otherwise a powerful jet will wash away all the planted seeds.
So the lawn is equipped with their own hands, it remains only to wait for the grass shoots and provide it with proper care - regular watering, cutting and dressing.
Artificial turf will perfectly fit into the dacha landscape, and in the care it will require minimal time and effort.
The advantages of artificial turf will block even considerable money that will have to be spent on its acquisition:
- If you use such coverage for the sports field (for playing tennis or football), then you can train on it at any time of the year. Even in warm winter, when there is no bitter cold, snow drifts, and the weather is sunny, you can dress up warmer and drive a ball on an artificial lawn.
- Such a lawn is ideal in the country, where the owners do not live permanently, but come only for the weekend. After all, it does not require any care, it does not need to be regularly watered, cut, fertilized, to combat weeds.
- Having made an artificial lawn in your summer cottage, you will never see it yellow or black, dried out or diseased, with balding patches or moss. He will always delight with bright saturated greens, as in the famous song - "in the winter and in the summer in one color".
- This coating is durable and durable, can be used for about 15 years.
- Without problems, you can lay such a lawn with your own hands, without the help of experts.
Artificial turf is produced in three types:
- Backfilling, when the space between the villi of grass is filled with special rubber granules or sand. This type is mainly used in the arrangement of sports fields.
- Poluzasypnoy, here as the backfill used quartz sand. Such a cover is laid on children's playgrounds.
- Nezasypnoy, such artificial grass is designed for arranging lawn areas with minimal physical exertion, that is, on it is not desirable to jump, run, play, arrange picnics. This lawn for beauty, aesthetics and comfort.
This coating is placed on a sand and gravel layer.
The rolls roll out and give them 10 hours to rest in bed in order to relieve all internal stresses that were formed during their storage in the folded form.
The blades are laid first overlapped, and then cut to achieve the most accurate joints. As soon as the rolls of artificial turf will be laid correctly, they must immediately be glued together. Because during the day the temperature changes, and this can lead to deformation of the lawn. Do this with a two-component adhesive and connecting tape.
Small lawn "for the lazy"
And what to do if you really want to have a lawn in the country, but at the moment there are no funds for artificial turf? And there is no time and effort to care for gourmet grass. Remains the option "for the lazy" - a lawn of white or pink clover. A place for it will need a sunny and open, but you can not worry about the soil, any one will do. The lawn is soft with a beautiful rich emerald green color, it tolerates drought steadily, so it does not need frequent watering.
Another such lawn cover “for the lazy” can be made from cinch pastyweed, Corsican mint or thyme.
Home Landscape Design Lawn
How to make a lawn in the country with their own hands
A beautiful, well-kept lawn is the dream of most homeowners. However, many are frightened by the need to invest hard labor in its creation.
It is not necessary to be afraid of it. The main thing is to start by studying the information on how to organize the lawn preparation work and how to take care of it.
And then this idea will entice you so much that you want to do everything with your own hands, without the involvement of specialists. Especially since the benefits will be very tangible:
- Aesthetic side: a green, neatly cropped lawn near the house will give the whole territory additional beauty and nobility, especially in combination with tea roses in the front garden.
- Even the smallest area will look more spacious thanks to the lawn.
- The fresh air that all households will breathe will provide a sufficient level of necessary oxygen. This is especially true of citizens who, during weekends at the country, can enjoy environmentally friendly "fluids".
- Here it is easier to live through particularly hot days, as the watered lawn maintains a sufficient level of humidity, thereby saving it from the tiresome heat.
Types of lawns and their features
According to its purpose, lawns are divided into 3 types:
- Decorative. They are created on landscaping objects: in parks, squares, on boulevards and near any households.
- Sports. Formed in stadiums, golf courses, racecourses. Such lawns have their own characteristics: they must be resistant to damage, such as trampling, and resist various ruptures. In order for the sod to be able to withstand such conditions, a special mixture of grass mixture and soil is used, as well as special drainage.
- Special. Arranged in parking lots, slopes, airfields.
Decorative lawns, in turn, are classified as follows:
- Parterna. To create them requires special conditions, special soil, so such lawns are rarely arranged.
- Landscape gardening (ordinary). They can be found everywhere: such lawns are very popular and widely distributed in our territory. And how to make them more lively and colorful, you will find out in the article on the cultivation of park roses.
- Meadow. These are usually large areas covered with natural grass stand. We rarely meet with them.
- Blossoming (Moorish). They are very difficult to create even for professionals: the seeds used for them may not come up in our conditions due to the inappropriate climate.
For each type of lawn its composition is used grass mixture, and the preparatory work on the creation of soil conditions are also different. What herbs are usually part of the lawn?
- Meadow grass meadow (Poa pratensis),
- red fescue (Festuca rubra),
- perennial ryegrass or grazing (Lolium perenne),
- Timothy meadow (Phleum bertolonii).
If you decide to arrange a lawn in the country or on a plot near the house, remember that in amateur performance it is easiest to arrange an ordinary garden lawn, surrounding it with a front garden or flower gardens in which you can grow tulips, daffodils or roses. Here http://2gazon.ru/ozelenenie/cvety/rozy/vyrashhivanie-r/iz-semyan.html you will find a lot of useful tips on growing the latter straight from the seeds.
To create a beautiful lawn is very important to choose the right place. Listen to the tips that will help you correctly place the lawn:
- Choose areas that are well lit by the sun, but with a small amount of shadow.
- Pay attention to the place where a lot of snow accumulates in winter.
- Do not make a lawn right under the trees: their roots will take almost all the nutrients from the soil, and the crown will create a lot of shade.
- For a lawn, it is better to choose flat areas or small slopes, the steepness of which does not exceed 30º.
- It is also not necessary to choose a plot that is close to the fences with climbing plants or the gate. In the latter case, the rut will constantly be trampled down, and the ground will be compacted so much that the access of oxygen to the grass will soon cease and it will “suffocate”.
- If the soil you have chosen is too wet, you will have to drain and drain it first.
The first stage - site preparation
- Clean the area from debris (stones, fragments of bricks, chips, etc.).
- Destroy the weeds by any means: manually or with the help of herbicides (round, dalapon, reglon).
- Form a flat surface. You can bring the land, if necessary.
- Create a drainage of sand and stones, especially if water is trapped in the area.
- Add fertilizer to improve soil structure (peat, manure).
- Dig and then loosen the area.
Moreover, this technology of preparation of the site is perfect for the cultivation of especially fastidious plants, including roses. All the details about the soil for roses and planting cuttings you can learn from our material http://2gazon.ru/ozelenenie/cvety/rozy/vyrashhivanie-r/posadka-r/cherenkami.html.
The second stage - the selection of seeds
When the plot is ready, it's time to pick up the seeds. When choosing a grass mixture, remember a few important tips:
- Do not create a lawn from one type of grass (3-5).
- Choose the collection that best suits your soil type (sand, clay, loam, black soil).
- Travosmes should consist only of grades of perennial cereal seeds of lawn selection.
The third stage - sowing
Tamping the ground with a roller
- Tamp the ground well before sowing. You can use a log, a skating rink for this, or simply tread the surface well until the ground stops raking under your feet. Then fan the earth slightly with a rake.
- Be careful when determining the seeding rate (25-50 grams per square meter). Remember that in the spring, it will take twice as many seeds to plant.
- Sowing can be done manually or used for this planter. Чтобы семена равномерно распределились по всему участку, нужно смешать их пополам с песком или сухой рыхлой землёй. Затем разделите состав на две части: одну часть разбросайте по поверхности, проходя вдоль участка, затем вторую – поперёк.
- В завершение присыпьте на полсантиметра землёй и опять слегка притопчите или укатайте.
Полив — обязательное условие выращивания хорошего газона. Делайте это регулярно, лучше вечером. In the hot period, you can water the grass twice a day.
The need for frequent and regular lawn moistening has led to the creation of various irrigation systems. There are automatic and semi-automatic irrigation systems.
Of course, the simplest solution is to water the lawn manually with water from under the hose. But this is not the best solution: firstly, it is tiring, and secondly, it will not provide the grass with uniform watering.
Cheaper system option - semi-automatic device for irrigation. Such a system is not difficult to install. To do this, you need to bring the connectors to the surface in several places of the site and connect a watering hose to them.
The water supply stops using the built-in aquastop at the time of disconnecting the hose. Holding a short hose in your hands, you move from one connector to another, sequentially watering the lawn.
Another thing - automatic watering. Here you just turn on the tap and an electronic multi-function timer with computer programming. Further watering is carried out without your participation.
Scheme of work of autowatering
Such a system will be an outlet for a host who is forced to leave for a long time (for example, on vacation) and leave his lawn and flower garden without proper attention. The system allows you to program the irrigation at the right time and in the correct portions of the water supply. Even the humidity sensor is provided in it: after the rain, the system will not work. At the same time, all its elements are hidden under the ground.
Follow the rules of watering:
- Water the grass abundantly. The soil should be soaked to a depth of 30-50 cm.
- Do not wait for the grass to turn yellow.
- Irrigate the lawn better in the evening.
- Avoid hard water whenever possible.
- Optimal watering is 15 liters per square meter.
- Provide drainage drains.
Proper grass care at different times of the year
In winter, the lawn is at rest. However, there is a possibility of grass freezing. It is better not to expose it to loads, not to walk on it, especially if there is no snow cover. Otherwise, the spring lawn will be in a deplorable state.
If you do not disturb the lawn in winter and carry out snow retention as needed (if there is no thick snow cover), then the grass is unlikely to freeze out. In winter, it is better to tidy up the tools and equipment for working on the site in seasonal time (rakes, forks, shovels, lawn mowers, etc.).
At the beginning of spring do not allow stagnant moisture in the area. To do this, impale raw areas with pitchforks. However, if you have provided drainage drains in the fall, this is not required.
After winter, when it is significantly warmer, you need to apply top dressing with complex fertilizers with a predominance of nitrogen, which, moreover, are perfect not only for grass, but also for feeding roses, peonies and other plants on the site.
After the soil dries out, the grass should be “combed” with a rake, and verticulation will help remove rotten and dry shoots, leaves, and felt formed in the autumn-winter period from the surface. Then it is recommended to produce the seed.
In May, you can hold the first lawn mowing.
The main components of lawn care in the summer is watering and cutting. Spend moderate mows, cutting the grass to a height of not less than 4 cm. After each haircut - mandatory watering. It does not interfere with regular fertilizing.
July - hot time, there is a probability of grass burning out. Water the grass every night or even twice a day. If there are many weeds or pests, then use special herbicides to destroy them.
In the autumn, too, requires careful care, and in addition, it is necessary to prepare the lawn for the winter. Fertilize with a minimum of nitrogen. Do not forget to remove the leaves, debris and dry shoots that remain after pruning roses and other plants.
It is not easy to organize a good lawn and take care of it, but it's worth it. A beautiful, green, fresh lawn will bring a lot of joy and vigor. Yes, and work related to care, will only benefit your body. The main thing is to do everything thoroughly, with a soul and follow the suggested recommendations, and then the result will surpass all expectations.
Planting a lawn with his own hands - the main work
Some people think that creating a lawn on their own is very easy. In fact, it is painstaking and difficult work. Planting a lawn with your own hands requires a lot of effort and knowledge of at least some of the basics in this matter.
We start the preliminary work
The first step is to prepare the area for planting a lawn. To do this, dig up the places where you are going to break it. Here you need to remove all the weeds, especially with large roots, so that planting a lawn with your own hands would turn out to be of high quality. If this is not done, they can climb out again, thereby spoiling the appearance. After the plot is dug up, you need to align it well. It should not have elevations and lowlands. Further, the entire territory prepared for the lawn must be well tamped. If possible, use a special roller for this purpose. Otherwise, you will have to use available tools. It is necessary to do this, so as not to fall on the finished lawn. If the land you have on the site is not very fertile, and the plants do not grow well, bring in special soil, which can also be fertilized with special means.
Lawn: landing and care
After you have completed all the preparatory work in the area, you can proceed to the most important event. Lawn planting begins in the spring and ends in late autumn, so you will have time to carry out these works. It is possible to sow a site at once several kinds of a lawn grass. If you have never tried to pick up such seeds and do not know where to start, I advise you to opt for ready-made grass mixtures. You can start sowing only in good and calm weather, so that the seeds do not fly away and are evenly distributed. Spread them should be first strips along, and then across. After that, they must be covered with earth, but not too deep. Better to do it by hand.
After planting a lawn with your own hands is completed, the area should be watered well. To do this, it is better to use special sprayers that do not wash the soil, and gently penetrate into it. The first days of watering should be carried out 1-2 times a day, then the lawn will grow quickly enough. Already in 7-10 days you will be able to notice the first sprouted grass, and in just two weeks the lawn will reach twelve centimeters in size.
If you make tracks so that you can walk on the lawn, then it is better to place them a little below the surface. In this case, it will be convenient for you to cut the grass. As such tracks it is best to use flat stones. If you want to make them from small pebbles, then separate the paths from the grass with a border. You should know that under the trees the grass cover will grow very poorly, even if you have done the lawn yourself properly, because there is poor lighting. It is better to sprinkle the area around such places with a special decorative crumb or pebbles.
In landscape design use several types of lawns:
- ground floor
Some of them are accessible to a modest budget and the creation of their own hands, others require skilled planning and care.
- Garden and meadow lawns are designed for recreation, games and do not require a large area or the correct form. Such a lawn can fill a place under the fruit trees or a plot of the yard near the house. They differ in the composition of seed mixtures. Basically, it is perennial cereals. They require more space and good illumination, but are resistant to loads. Caring for such lawns is standard: cutting once every two weeks, regular watering.
- This type can be attributed dwarf lawn of low-growing herbs.
- Sports The lawn consists of densely growing grasses, not afraid of intensive trampling. They have a well-developed root system and high growth rates.
- Parterre and English differ in the composition of plants and the desired height of the haircut. The first type is suitable for decoration of large areas, the second - for courtyards. In both cases, require frequent cutting and watering. Such lawns are combined with tree plantings and highlight the beauty of the buildings. Usually they are not designed for walking.
- Moorish called flowering lawns from a mixture of ornamental grasses and wildflowers of the same height. Such lawn-beds are cut once a year, it is undesirable to walk on them. Compositions of seed mixtures for Moorish lawns can be chosen according to your taste. Unfortunately, bright honey flowers can cause allergies and attract bees.
- Original look non-ciliated lawns of dicotyledonous grass - creeping clovers, bryozoans and knotweed. They are not as durable and hardy as cereals, but they form a more dense and soft cover, it is pleasant to walk on them barefoot.
Herbal mixtures are also sown to enrich the soil with nutrients or strengthen the slopes.
Preparatoryworkto planting a lawn need to start in the fall. The choice of a place under a lawn matters: it should be well viewed and emphasize the beauty of flowerbeds and garden plantings. In order to obtain a grassy level in height and color, the soil should be homogeneous and the surface should be as horizontal as possible or with a smooth relief.
Shadow and landscape elements
There are lawn grass that can grow in the shade, but to achieve a thick and beautiful cover there will not work. With intensive trampling under the trees, bald spots are formed and the lawn has to be constantly updated.
When choosing a site you need to think about leaving: The distances between trees and flowerbeds should be sufficient for lawnmower to pass, and groups of flowers and shrubs are fenced in order to avoid damage.
If a path passes through the future lawn, then it is laid out with garden tiles. The path will decorate the landscape and prevent constant trampling, which can ruin even a sports flooring.
Slopes, parking and flooding
Lawn can be used for strengthening and gardening of slopes and even for registration of parking. To do this, use the geogrid - "honeycomb" of durable plastic or concrete. The process of creating and caring for such landscaping is quite time consuming. Small slopes or ornamental hills can be greened without a geogrid, only the ease of use of the mower is important.
It is better to decorate plots with constant wetting with ponds: not a single grass can withstand high acidity and humidity.
Tools and soil preparation
Deciding to create a lawn with your own hands need to get special tools. They will help make planting and lawn care a pleasant, creative activity.
- The lawn mower is an indispensable device for regular cutting grass, the engine can be electric or gasoline, the choice depends on the size of the plot.
- The trimmer is a small electric-powered battery; it is used for cutting small, hard-to-reach areas.
- Lawn shears - for vertical shearing, with their help align the edges of the lawn, make out curb planting.
- Weed remover is a special device on a telescopic handle for cutting and pulling weeds.
- A fan rake - for removal of garbage and raising of a grass before a hairstyle.
- Aerator - roller on the handle with spikes, pierces flattened soil for access of oxygen to the roots. You can replace the special overlays on shoes or forks.
- Lawn roller - levels the soil before planting. It is better not to buy it, but to rent it. You can replace the similarity of snowshoes tied to the legs with pieces of plywood or plastic.
- Seeder spreader - a device for uniform sowing. When small areas successfully replaced by their own hands.
Site preparation for sowing consists of several stages:
- weed pickling. There is a selection of herbicides available, but many gardeners reasonably refrain from using them, preferring to get rid of weeds with their own hands. In this case, you need several times over the summer, avoiding the formation of seeds, carefully weed the earth,
- cultivation. Loosening is done at least 20 cm deep, rhizomes are carefully selected. Clods of earth are broken by a rake, the surface is leveled,
- application of organic fertilizers and soil neutralization. Lime fluff, dolomite flour or ash from 200 to 500 g per 1 sq. M. depending on the degree of acidity, in alkaline ones - compost, peat or needles,
- soil compaction roller. The earth must be so compacted that there is no deep trace when walking.
- if sowing is planned for spring, the prepared area is covered with geotextile or roofing material to prevent weed growth.
Selection and planting lawn mixture
Mixtures for meadow and sports lawns usually consist of meadow bluegrass, thin bilgea and red fescue. Depending on the use of stands and the shade of the plot, the composition varies in percentage terms. What to look for when choosing a mixture?
- It is better to buy the seeds of domestic producers, adapted to the Russian climate. For the middle band, it is undesirable to have a high content of additional components in the mixture - heat-loving grasses of pasture ryegrass (Lollium perenne), pigtail palmatus (Cynodon dactylon), desert grass (Agropyron desertorum). These grasses are good for southern climates with mild winters, in northern latitudes they will freeze out and leave bald spots on the lawn.
- Shaded areas should be sown with bluegrass mixtures: oak grove (Poa nemoralis), ordinary (Poa trivialis), and oblate (Poa compressa). Although these bluegrass grow in partial shade, they do not tolerate trampling and frequent mowing. Fences are considered to be more shade-tolerant: red hard (Festuca rubra commutata) and hairy (Festuca rubra trichophilla).
- For lawns intended for games or picnics, get a mixture with a high content of meadow grass (Poa praténsis).
- Lawns for contemplation and beauty are made up of grasses that give even cover and rich color: red fescue (Festuca rubra), thin marginal grass (Agróstis capilláris), meadow grassgrass.
It is better to sow the prepared area in early autumn in order to have a green cover formed for the next summer. It is permissible to sow seeds before winter, when the average daily temperature does not rise above +5. Spring sowing will not allow the use of a sports or garden lawn in the first year, but it will show the germination of the grass mixture and show the areas where it should be added.
Seeding process and care
Travosmes better to purchase with a stockas the number of seeds per square meter indicated on the package corresponds to ideal conditions for germination, which may not be available at the cottage or backyard plot.
- The tamped surface is slightly loosened with a rake (no deeper than 1.5 cm).
- The contents of the bag are mixed with sand for uniform sowing and distributed over the tamped area with a lawn drill or manually, adding at least one third to the specified amount.
- The sown area is again raked or the seeds are covered with a layer of sand. In conclusion, you need to once again tamp the soil and carry out a drip irrigation system.
- Further care is to regularly moisten the soil immediately after sowing, preventing it from drying out and after the emergence of shoots. Watering is done in the morning until 9-10 hours.
- As soon as the seedlings reach a height of 10 cm, they begin haircuts. Grass cover can not be cut shorter than 5 cm, you can damage the tillering points and spoil the look of the lawn. The blades of the lawnmower must always be sharp. Do not use electric trimmers or mowers in rainy weather, or in the morning dew.
Once a year, the lawn is “pierced” with a pitchfork or aerator. The life of a lawn with proper care is about 7 years. If the grass began to turn yellow earlier, you need to make complex mineral fertilizers.
With an acute reluctance to do time-consuming work with your own hands, you can create a neat meadow in a simpler way. To do this, on a given plot regularly mow weeds, preventing the formation of thick stems and seeds. For several years, thistles, ambrosia and other hard weeds are gradually replaced by meadow grasses, the seeds of which can be sown in the fall. It will take a long time to wait and the resulting grass cover will not be smooth and pleasant to walk. But such a “lazy” lawn will give a well-groomed look to the side of the road or to an unused part of the garden.
What is lawn, types of lawn, where to place the lawn area
What is a lawn? A lawn is a cover of grass that is planted artificially. For lawn grass, special herbs are selected, which is why the lawn looks so neat and becomes a suitable background for parks and suburban areas.
The lawn in the country can be sown for various purposes and not only decorative. For example, for the area around the flowerbeds, other seed mixtures of lawn grass will be used than for the sports lawn. Depending on the characteristics of the grass, the lawn can be divided into:
- Parquet. This is a soft green lawn with rich deep color. Such a lawn is sown to decorate the plot. Therefore, it requires special care.
- Sports. Такой травой оформляются площадки для отдыха и подвижных игр. Для спортивного газона подбираются травы стойкие к вытаптыванию и быстровостанавливающиеся. Их стоимость выше обычной.
- Садовый. Это плотный покров травы, устойчивый к вытаптыванию и повреждениям. Подходит для участков, выделенных под пикники и пешие прогулки.
- Универсальный. Suitable for any purpose. It is easy to restore and maintain.
- Shadow. From the name it is clear that the grass of such a lawn grows quietly in the shade.
Sowing lawn grass can be any corner of his country site: sunny or shaded, horizontal or slope, sand or clay. Well, if the site will not stagnate water after rain and snow. To plan everything well, sketch out a lawn area. Apply on it trees, flower beds, flower beds, exterior elements. All this is necessary to simplify the cutting of grass in the future. Lonely trees and shrubs should be decorated with crumbs and ground covers.
Site preparation and tillage
Any painstaking business requires a certain time to complete it. So the preparation of the site for planting a lawn with your own hands will take you a couple of weeks. Spare no effort and time to prepare the land. In the future, you will save time on weeding and cutting grass.
First of all, clean the place where you plan to sow the grass from debris (construction, household, remnants of roots).
Remove weeds with the help of herbicides, because you will lose against them in hand-to-hand combat - some of the roots will definitely remain in the soil and will re-germinate.
Remove dried weeds. If the soil on your site is not fertile, then it is worth making a “rich” soil.
Now is the time to level the ground from the irregularities. To make it easier to work, perform this stage on a clear day - then the earth will be dry and flowing. Use the level to get the perfect lawn grass carpet. If there are pits or lowlands in your plot, then they can be filled up with earth removed from a hummock or upland or you can buy peat ground.
The next step is optional for everyone. It's about drainage. Such technology of water diversion is needed only if the land, planned for the lawn with his own hands, is poured with rain and groundwater. The drainage system is created in the process of leveling the site. To do this, remove the top layer of soil, fill 15 cm of gravel, 15 cm of sand and 20 cm of soil complete this “sandwich”. Naturally, everything is smoothly rammed in the process of laying.
Step-by-step instructions on how to grow a lawn (video)
We continue to prepare the land to sow the lawn. Dig the ground to a depth of 20 centimeters, removing the litter. Depending on the type of soil, apply fertilizer. Enrich the soil with nitrogen fertilizers in spring, and phosphate and potash fertilizers in autumn. Level the ground with fertilizer with a rake, breaking up clods of earth, and compact it with a roller, but do it only on dry ground. The tamping of the earth will not allow over time to get out irregularities on the sprouted grass. In the process of tamping, add land to the voids or remove excess from elevations. Let the ground settle for a couple of weeks (during this time weeds will grow, which can be removed immediately).
Also, owners who have a negative attitude to fertilizing their land with animal products or chemical fertilizers will be helpful to familiarize themselves with such technology as green manure.
Sideration is a specially planted grass that makes the structure of the soil better and richer. Lupine, clover, rye, etc. cope with this task. They do not allow weeds to germinate so freely, and with their extensive root system they improve soil quality and water permeability. Sow them better in 1.5 months before you plan to plant grass.
By the way, all these recommendations are suitable for laying lawn rolls.
Selection and calculation of the number of seeds
As we already mentioned, lawns can be designed for different purposes. Accordingly, there are different mixtures of herbs on sale. Although it should be said that most of the seeds in such mixtures seem to be ryegrass, fescue, bluegrass, timothy, benthole and many others. They differ in a combination and quantity in a pack. Your choice should also affect: climate, light on the site, groundwater. Find out all this information from the seller or read on a pack of seeds. Look for national or international certificates on the packaging.
In order for the grass to grow thick and without gaps you need to know how to sow the lawn correctly. Experts advise taking 30-50g grass seed per 1 sq.m. You can also experiment before planting: sprout about 100 seeds during the week to see germination density.
Season and ways of planting grass
Planting a lawn in spring or autumn is your business. There is no consensus among gardeners. Plant lawn grass can be started from spring to the first frost.
Some facts regarding planting a lawn in the spring:
- The grass, which was sown in May, rises much better, you need to wait for the earth to warm up, during spring planting you need regular watering and weeding.
Some facts about planting a lawn in the fall:
- The lawn sown at the beginning of autumn will rise to frost, and you will have time to treat the grass for the winter, if you sow with the first frost (but before the first snow), the seeds will become immune to diseases and germinate in the spring like a thick brush, the seeds sown for the winter will be stratified - t. e. seed aging at low temperature for better germination.
We have already mentioned how to correctly calculate the number of seeds for the dense germination of grass. Recall only that saving seeds, you are sure to find in your lawn area ugly spaces that do not decorate the lawn. And besides, weeds will sprout in the gaps very soon.
Lawn planting tips
Follow these tips and you will figure out how to sow the grass properly:
- Divide your lawn into equal parts and divide the seeds into as many parts. This way you spread the lawn evenly,
- Loosen the soil with a rake to make small furrows,
- Before planting, pour soil over the hose with a sprayer and let the water soak a little,
- We look at the weather and sow the seeds on a clear, quiet day,
- Sprinkle the seeds along and across the lawn so that they lie evenly. Try to go beyond the edges on each side of the lawn,
- Loosen the ground with a French rake to lightly mix the seeds with the ground,
- Pour the seeds with a peat mixture of about 1 cm and walk on the lawn with a compactor,
- Now water the already planted lawn,
- If you dream of a beautiful lawn and think about how to plant it correctly, do not be afraid to use special tools - a seeder or a gun.
Although about the first watering should say a little more. Already on the third week you will notice the first grass shoots. Watering at this time requires abundant (of course, if it does not rain). Watering should be very delicate, so as not to damage the young grass. For this purpose, suitable hose with a spray or rain installation. Just avoid strong water pressure.
Gaps in the lawn and how to deal with them
Gaps in the lawn spoil the overall look of the entire site. Such bald spots create the impression of carelessness and untidyness. They appear because of stagnation of water, sticking of grass under the snow, freezing of the roots during the winter, diseases and fungi, as well as trampling. The reasons are known, but how to overcome the problem?
Lawn lawn can be patched:
- Mow the grass on the gap
- Loosen the earth on it and apply fertilizer
- Sow the same seeds, which were sown the main area,
- Rake the area and fill it with compost or peat mixture,
- Stomp and kick.
It is best to lay tiles on the passages, otherwise you will always struggle with bald spots on them.
Lawn care and haircut
In fact, how to plant a lawn and how to grow it thick and well-groomed, you can write a lot of rules and recommendations. Let's try to give the most basic ones:
- Do not forget about watering especially in the period of intensive germination,
- Do not be discouraged if you find weeds in your plot - no matter how carefully you prepare the ground, they will germinate anyway. So don't be too hard on yourself, but roll up your sleeves, fight them,
- Feed your lawn regularly, but do not overdo it in the first year - young grass does not need large doses of fertilizer,
- What can not be said about the mature two-three-year-old grass - it needs regular feeding,
- In the autumn, do not forget about cleaning dry grass and leaves from your lawn lawn.
Timely mowing the lawn makes the lawn neat and attractive.
Mowing the lawn also helps fight weeds.
"Hairdressing procedures" are also needed to stimulate the development of additional shoots. Before each mowing the lawn be sure to remove foreign objects from the lawn. And already after one and a half months after germination, you can mow the lawn. Cut at a height of not less than 8 cm, and in subsequent times - 3-5 cm (in the autumn-spring - 4-6 cm). Each cut, change the cut - either across or diagonally to the previous cut. Remember that the blade must be sharp at all times. Regularity is the best way to fight for the lawn lawn. Cut approximately once every 7 days.
Do not forget to mow the lawn in time!
The owner, who loves minimalism in the design of the exterior, will have enough lawn lawn and hand-grown flowers. It will be a worthy decoration of any site. We hope that this article will help you figure out how to plant a lawn and care for it.
When to sow lawn grass with your own hands
There is no strictly defined time for planting a lawn. On average, the entire process takes 4 to 6 weeks. The most suitable period is from May to September. Despite this, for each pore has its own rules of landing, which should not be neglected.
Many professionals of country design recommend starting to arrange lawns in the spring. And they bring weighty arguments in their favor:
- Before the onset of cold weather, the grass will have time to root well and grow stronger,
- There is time to eliminate the shortcomings (reseeding, redevelopment),
- In the spring, there is a lot of moisture in the soil, which will contribute to the rapid ascent of seeds,
Before sowing lawn grass in the spring, it is necessary to clear the ground from weeds and treat the soil with herbicides. It is best to start when the snow completely melts and dry, calm weather sets in. It is also worth waiting for weeds to grow, as spraying herbicides on “bare” ground will not work (they act only on the leaf apparatus, therefore it is useless to water the soil to destroy the root system). If you do not take into account this rule, weeds drown out young grass.
Lawn grass how to plant and pick grass mixtures
June is considered to be the most suitable summer month for sowing lawn grass, at this time the soil contains more moisture than the succeeding months. But if you establish an uninterrupted irrigation system, you can sow the seeds in August, moreover, by the middle of summer the activity of insects decreases and the growth of weeds is dulled. If you carry out proper care: in time to fertilize and produce mowing - the grass will have time to get stronger before the onset of frost.
The most favorable period for autumn planting is the first half of September. Since at this time the soil is saturated with moisture (drops out in the form of dew), and the grass will have time to ascend before the cold weather.
Lawn grass: how to plant and pick grass mixtures
The finished grass mixture is selected according to the type of lawn. As a rule, it is indicated on the package: for what kind of lawn the contents are intended, in which place it is necessary to sow the seeds and the type of recommended soil.
Most manufacturers bring seeds from Western Europe and are already in place engaged in their arrangement and packaging. But not all foreign herbs take root in our conditions. Therefore, before sowing lawn grass, carefully select the desired composition.
For the Moscow region and central Russia a perfect mix of bluegrass and fescue ("Ideal" from Premium line). They form a dense bright green carpet and can be cut short. Dark colors lawn will add the content of bluegrass in the composition. In any case, you should not buy the mixture, where rye grass is 50-60%, because it is subject to freezing and keeps a dense grass stand for 3 to 5 years, after which it completely drops out.
How to plant a lawn: the preparatory stage
First of all, on the site where the lawn is planned, it is necessary to make a marking, remove all weeds and carry out alignment.
- The markings are performed according to the plan of the dacha plot, using pegs or pulling the fishing line. At the same time laid flower beds and paths. It is better to avoid strict lines and rectangular shapes, then lawns and flowering meadows will look more natural.
- Treating the area from the weeds, before sowing lawn grass, Roundup or Argument (herbicides of general action). Usually weeds are destroyed 14-20 days after treatment. Particularly overgrown areas are sprayed several times at intervals of two weeks.
- After the weeds have dried, their remains are scraped off and the soil is leveled. If there is a need, you can cover the area with geotextiles, it will prevent the germination of the seeds of the remaining weeds.
How to plant lawn grass, fertilize and prepare the soil
In order for the seeds to quickly and evenly grow, it is necessary to create appropriate conditions for their growth.
- It is necessary to establish the soil composition, its structure and moisture content. If it is alkaline, peat is added, sour is chalk or lime, dense and heavy is manure or biohumus.
- In parallel, mineral fertilizers are applied: macronutrients (NPK 6-22-28, NPK 21-6-17) are evenly scattered over the surface, and trace elements are diluted in water with the calculation: ammonium nitrate and superphosphate 40 g per square meter, potassium sulfate 30 g per sq.m. In the spring, they focus on nitrogen supplements, and in the fall - on potash and phosphate.
- After the fertilizer, the ground is leveled with a rake, and then compacted with a garden roller weighing 50-100 kg or with a round metal tube. If after this there are still irregularities, they are aligned and rolled again.
- Rolled area is left alone for 10-12 days (so that the ground is up). If during this period weeds sprout on the plot with compost or humus, the top ground ball is gently loosened with a rake.
How to sow lawn grass with your own hands
Seed consumption, as a rule, is indicated on the back of the package, but you should not strictly adhere to the proportions, otherwise bare places may form and you will have to replant the grass.
- To evenly distribute the grass mixture, visually divide the area into zones, and then roughly divide the contents of the bag between them.
- If the soil is dry, moisten it with a watering can, let the water soak.
- For sowing, use seval. If it is not in the household, you can resort to the manual method. To do this, stir the seeds with fine dry sand in a 1: 1 ratio. Then, following the advice of professionals who know how to sow lawn grass correctly, it is necessary to scatter the mixture first along the site, and then across. Moreover, the edges should be planted twice as thick as the middle.
- After the end of the landing, rake the seeds lightly with earth and then compact the future lawn with a roller.
- At the end, moderately pour the sown area of the watering can or hose with a spray.