Peony is a stunningly beautiful blooming perennial ornamental garden culture. Unlike many flowers, which need to be transplanted every few years, peonies can grow in the same place without a transplant for decades. Luxurious inflorescences of peonies can be colored as delicate, pastel, and bright, rich. They rather long keep on a bush and in cut. The lush leaves of peonies decorate the backyard all season, becoming purple in the fall. Of course, like all garden flowers, peonies love “yummy”, that is, various top dressing. Top dressing of pions is carried out during the whole season and can be both foliar and root. Let's talk about each form in more detail.
Foliar top dressing
Foliar top dressing of pions is done by spraying the leaves with a solution of complex mineral fertilizer. And the smaller droplets when spraying, the greater the effect will be from this procedure. Spraying is carried out in the evening or in cloudy weather, when the stomata open at the plants. For better absorption of fertilizer, you can add a little soap or laundry detergent to the solution. In this way it is very good to feed young plants once a week, starting from the second week of May.
Mature plants also respond very well to foliar feeding. They are carried out three times per season with an interval of three weeks thus: urea - urea + mineral fertilizers - mineral fertilizers. Why exactly? At the beginning of growth, the plants need nitrogen contained in urea, during the period of budding nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, nitrogen is no longer needed during the budding of renewal, therefore urea is excluded from feeding.
Top dressing of peonies in the spring organic fertilizers
Top dressing with organic fertilizers is made for adult plants in the period of bud formation and the beginning of flowering in the root way. This may be a solution of mullein or bird droppings in a ratio of 1:10 and 1:25, respectively.
Basal top dressing of pions with mineral fertilizers
Top-dressing with mineral fertilizers at the root is carried out three times per season, starting from the end of March-beginning of April, when fertilizer granules can be scattered directly in the snow. They will dissolve in the melt water and be absorbed into the soil - the goal will be achieved. In the summer, the fertilizer is also spread on the soil at the roots, trying not to touch the neck of the bush. Previously, the soil is watered, and after applying fertilizer, the surface is sprinkled with another layer of earth and compacted.
Feeding Peonies with Bread
Bread fertilizer is one of the best for peony in spite of the fact that it belongs to popular recipes. It is harvested in the following way: half a loaf of rye bread or crusts remaining after a meal is soaked in cold water and allowed to brew for half a day so that the mass is swollen. After that, it is diluted with a bucket of water and the plants are watered with this composition at the beginning of the growing season.
As you can see, the feeding of peonies in general is not much different from the fertilizer of other garden flower crops. It is important only to comply with the regime and correctly select the composition for feeding, and then your garden peonies will surely delight you every season with lush greenery and long-lasting luxurious flowering.
Adding an article to a new collection
If the right to feed the peonies during the growing season (and especially in spring), in the summer they will enchant you with their incredibly lush flowering. We will tell you what drugs to use and how to do it.
Peonies can grow well for a long time and bloom profusely in one place. But for this you need to carefully care for the bushes of the plant. From the third year of development, when peonies begin to bloom, in addition to regular watering and loosening, they need additional feeding.
- The first feeding carried out immediately after the snow melt. At this time, peonies need nitrogen-potassium fertilizers: 10-15 g of nitrogen and 10-20 g of potassium per bush.
- Second feeding, which accounts for the period of budding, should consist of nitrogen (10-15 g per bush), phosphorus (15-20 g) and potassium (10-15 g).
- Third time peonies feed 1-2 weeks after flowering (during budding), fertilizer should contain phosphorus (15-20 g) and potassium (10-15 g).
When applying fertilizer follow their norm. Excessive amount (especially nitrogen) contributes only to the growth of foliage, and the formation of buds at the same time is delayed.
For lush flowering, peonies are fed 3 times per season.
Mineral fertilizer Kemira
Kemira is used 3 times per season. In early spring and a week after flowering, Kemira-Universal fertilizer is used: after watering, a handful of the preparation is poured under each bush and buried in the soil. And the second dressing is carried out with Kemira-Kombi fertilizer. A small handful is poured under the bush and watered abundantly. This fertilizer dissolves quickly in water and goes to the peony roots.
In Kemir, all elements are in chelate form. This allows the plant to assimilate them without additional processing by soil microorganisms.
Organic fertilizer Baikal EM-1
This is a microbiological fertilizer prepared on the basis of EM technology. It contains live microorganisms that improve the structure of the soil and increase its fertility. The Baikal EM-1 fertilizer is added to the compost and in the fall they are mulching adult plants. At the same time the layer of mulch is 7-10 cm.
Fertilizer Baikal EM-1 is indispensable for pions, which grow for a long time at the same place without a transplant.
Foliar top dressing of peonies
In order to admire the spectacular flowering of peonies throughout the season, young and adult bushes are fed once a month in a foliar way. To do this, the leaves of the plant are sprayed (or watered from a watering can with a fine sieve) with a solution of a complex mineral fertilizer. For example, you can use Ideal - the rate of the fertilizer used is indicated in the attached instructions.
So that the nutrient solution is better retained on the surface of the leaves, a little laundry soap or laundry detergent is added to it (1 tbsp per 10 l of solution).
Foliar dressing is best done in the evening or in cloudy weather.
Also foliar feeding can be carried out according to the following scheme. For first feeding (it is carried out immediately after the germination of the aerial part of the bush) using a solution of urea (50 g per 10 l of water), for second (one month later) - microfertilizers in tablets are added to the urea solution (1 piece per 10 l of solution). BUT the third time (after flowering) pour only micronutrient solution (2 tablets per 10 liters of water).
Proper and timely feeding will help you grow healthy and beautiful flowering peonies. But do not forget that for the best effect, these procedures should be accompanied by abundant watering and loosening the soil around the bushes.
Spring Peony Care
It is necessary to begin to care for peonies from spring, as soon as the snow melts. The very process of caring for a flower is simple, the main thing is to do everything in stages.
- Proper care of peonies begins immediately after the snow melts, when it is necessary to remove last year’s dry leaves, so that it does not interfere with the germination of new shoots and does not spoil the appearance.
- The ground near the bush must be loosened, but not deeper than 5 centimeters.
- The soil around the bushes also need to be disinfected. A weakly diluted solution of potassium permanganate is well suited for this. It is prepared simply to take 1 gram of potassium permanganate and dissolve in 6 liters of warm water. Experts advise that under each shrub pour out 900 ml of the prepared solution. Such actions are carried out in order to prevent fungal diseases.
Further, in the process of growth, the bushes will require more timely watering and fertilizing in order for the plant to enjoy an abundant flowering throughout the season. Therefore, it is necessary to know how to fertilize peonies and how to do it correctly.
In addition to basic care, shrubs are very fond of various supplements, and well absorbed all the nutrients. During the whole season, the feeding of shrubs is carried out, as a rule, three times. But for the correctness of the process, it is still necessary to know what to feed the peonies in order to have enough nutrients for a whole year.
- Preventive feeding. Gardeners begin to feed the shrubs in early spring, as soon as the snow melts and the soil warms up a little. At this time, the plant is most needed nitrogen, which helps in the process of budding and vegetative mass. Feed the plant with nitrogen should be carefully in small portions and better at least four times before flowering. Therefore, nitrogen is added to all subsequent feedings. You can use ammonium nitrate, which for a single bush is only about 60 grams.
- Nitrogen Potash Supplement Peonies are held during the shoot growth period (from March to April). A lack of potassium in the soil can adversely affect any plant. Therefore, experts advise to make it into the second and third dressing. Gardeners often use rotted manure (cow or horse) to feed shoots. Such fertilizer is rich in essential elements that the plant needs during this period. In order for peonies to get as many useful substances as possible, manure is spread on top 20 centimeters from the roots, then carefully dug up. During rain or watering all the nutrients fall into the roots. Those gardeners who have long been engaged in the cultivation of peonies, use different dressings that are rich in nitrogen and potassium. For example, such a recipe is common: 60 grams of ammonium nitrate is mixed with 20 grams of potassium salt and distributed just like manure.
- Complete feeding. The third feed includes nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus. Nitrogen and potassium take the same amount as in previous feedings. As for phosphorus, in order for the bushes to last for the whole year, it is enough to take 60 grams of superphosphate. Such feeding is carried out 15 days after the flowering of the shrub and is needed for the formation of buds next year. It is this composition that is very important for pions, since the formation of the buds and the flowering itself depend on the complex application. During the third feeding, it must be remembered that phosphorus must be introduced along with nitrogen in order for the desired reaction to take place. The main thing is not to overdo it with the addition of nitrogen, otherwise all the nutrients will go only to the foliage, and flowering will not be as abundant as we would like.
Like all plants, peonies require timely watering. For the first time after a long winter, the plant should be watered as soon as the soil warms up. During the whole season from May to August the plant should be watered infrequently but abundantly and no more than four times. Gardeners recommend be sure to water the peonies during the formation of buds and after flowering, the rest of the watering is carried out as needed. At the same time, it is necessary to take into account the rains, during this period it is better not to water it, in order to avoid fungal infections and root decay.
Care for spring shrubs is the main, but not the only one. Since the plant must also take care in other seasons. For example, summer requires weeding, periodic watering and mandatory dressing during the formation of buds. In the fall, if necessary, peonies are planted or transplanted, but if the plant remains in the old place, then you only need to cut off the withering shoots. To insulate the bush for the winter is not necessary, as it is frost resistant.
Nuances of autumn and spring feeding of peonies
During the warm season, adult peonies feed up three times. Below we will separately consider the question of what fertilizers should be applied to the soil during plant transplantation.
So, dressing is used in spring, summer and autumn.
Spring application is carried out in several stages. For the first time, fertilizers are added as soon as the sprouts appear and get a little stronger. Depending on the climatic zone, in Russia it occurs in late April or early May. The purpose of this feeding is to ensure that the bush is actively growing.
After about 3 weeks, fertilizer is applied next time. The second dressing should provide future flowers with all the necessary substances.
The third dressing is made a couple of weeks after the peonies have faded. The plant must recuperate.
Pay attention - it is better to bring top dressing when the sun is declining, or when the day is overcast. This way you will avoid leaf burn. Dry dressing should be scattered on wet ground.
Is it necessary?
Of course, you can not feed the peonies. Even so, they will come up every year and pick up color. But in order for these spectacular plants to become a real decoration of the garden, and every bush literally sinking in flowers, it is worth making an effort. Moreover, each amateur grower in the reserve, as a rule, has cow or chicken manure, complex inorganic fertilizers. Take the trouble - and the peonies will thank you.
For the first dressing fit:
- wood ash.
They are scattered around the bush, and then the ground is shallowly dug up or simply loosened and watered abundantly. This will allow the plant to increase the green mass.
Many gardeners are easier to get chicken manure than cow. Chicken is also great. About half a liter jar of manure is poured into a bucket of water, in a couple of weeks the infusion will be ready. It must be diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 3.
During this period, when the bush is just beginning to grow, the following peony fertilizer justifies itself well: a bag of dry yeast is dissolved in a 3-liter jar of water, and some sugar is added. A day later, the fermented liquid is mixed with 5-6 liters of water and watered the plants.
During the 2nd feeding peonies should receive:
Fertilizers are purchased in specialized stores. You can prepare the solution according to the instructions, but even better potassium and phosphorus (respectively, 20 and 40 g) diluted in a bucket, where cow manure is already present. For 1 bush of peonies 3 liters of this mixture will be enough.
Types of fertilizers and rules for their introduction
Peonies need both organic and inorganic fertilizers. It is important to keep the farm not only manure, but also compost, peat.
Before the start of the season, it is advisable to stock up on superphosphate. Choosing complex fertilizers in the store, give preference to “Kemire”. It can be made up to 3 times during the warm season. During the 1st feeding, Kemira-Universal is introduced, and the 2nd and 3rd time - Kemira-Kombi.
In addition, such a fertilizer as “Baikal EM-1” is popular. It nourishes the plant, improves soil structure. It is better for “Baikal” to give preference in the fall - to bring it along with the compost, mulching the ground around the bush for the winter.
If you use a mullein or chicken manure infusion, it is recommended to add a little wood ash - to enhance the effect.
Rules of feeding after flowering
Making the autumn dressing of peonies, the florist will help the plant survive the winter, accumulate the necessary substances for flowering next spring. At this time, again, potassium and phosphorus will be required. Use both fertilizers in a dry form, and their liquid solution. To do this, 1 g bucket of water is added to 15 g of mineral fertilizers.
Making feeding, you need to try, so that neither the dry granules nor the solution does not fall on the neck of the plant.
How and what to fertilize peonies in summer?
In summer, adult peony bushes are fertilized starting from 3-4 years after planting. Do it in the second half of June, after flowering. During this period, a complex mineral fertilizer is best suited, it can be added to the diluted infusion of cow manure.
Soil requirements for growing plants
With all its undemanding peonies still give preference to certain soils.
If the land on the site contains a lot of sand, then the foliage of the plant will develop well, but the peony will give little flowers.
Heavy, clay soil? Peony will grow very slowly, although it will please later with large beautiful flowers.
But loam, and even if fertilizer is correctly added to it, will enable the plant to express itself in all its glory.
The bush should receive a sufficient amount of moisture, as well as the period of growth and flowering, and after its completion. At the same time, the water should not stagnate so that the roots do not rot.
Moderately alkaline soil for peony is preferable to neutral and acidic soil.
Since peony transplantation is a lot of work, it’s best to immediately choose a permanent place for it. With appropriate feeding, he will be able to grow there for several decades. Preparing the land, they dig up the ground well. Especially carefully do it, if the soil is clay or just strongly compressed. Plant roots need good drainage.
If you have removed one of the pions, it is preferable not to plant another here, but to pick a different place for it. Exhausted land, possibly infected with an infection, is not the best option for placing a young peony in it.
In addition, there is a risk that you have not dug up all the roots of the "predecessor", so the 2 bushes will later mix up and interfere with each other.
Лучше всего поступить так, как это делают в профессиональных цветоводческих хозяйствах. Необходимо вырыть яму 60х60 см. На дно положить дренаж – подойдёт щебень, осколки кирпича и другие материалы.
В снятый слой почвы следует добавить перегной, торф, навоз, 350-400 г суперфосфата, столько же – костной муки, вдвое меньше – калия, а для кислых почв – ещё и доломитки. Well, if there is an opportunity to put a little, up to 40 g, of copper sulfate - this is very beneficial for the roots.
Nutrient soil is poured into the pits a few weeks before the peonies are planted in them. The optimal time for landing is the 2nd and 3rd decade of August.
If you take care of the peony throughout the season, observing all the rules, and regularly feeding it, next year there will be as many flowers as never before.
Features annual feeding peonies
After the third year of life, plants are fertilized according to a different scheme. Now it is important for peonies not only to strengthen the stem and grow greens, but also to form healthy and viable buds in large quantities. The initial supply of microelements at the bush runs low, so it needs to be replenished. 3-time care is considered effective:
- Immediately after the snow melts, the flowers need strength to resume the growing season. To do this, without embedding in the soil, scatter the nitrogen-potassium mixture around each culture. Norm - 10-15 g per shrub. It is important that the substances do not fall on the plant itself.
- Secondary pions are fertilized at the beginning of budding with a mixture of phosphorus (20 g), potassium (15 g) and nitrogen (10 g). The number indicated on each bush. The mineral complex is brought under seal in soil.
- 14 days after the first buds bloom, you need to feed the peonies a third time. This is important for a good wintering and successful flowering in the next season. Mix 15 g of potassium and 20 g of phosphorus.
Recommendations flower growers on peonies fertilizer
In any business balance is important. If in the spring to overfeed peonies with nitrogen, then foliage will go into a wild growth, and the flowers will be reduced. Overabundance of other trace elements also adversely affect the plant. When calculating the rules, use the advice of experienced flower growers:
- Mineral fertilizers will be ineffective on organic poor sandy soils. In this case, divide the second and third dressings into two equal parts and apply them with a clear interval of 12-14 days.
- Shrubs growing on poor soil, separately feed the burmagnium mixture. Make no more than 5 g per square 3-4 times per season.
- To fertilizers delivered to the address, and not to the surrounding weeds, put them in small grooves made a foot from the bush.
- More peonies are very fond of rye bread. Put a loaf in cold water. Wait for 8 hours. Then dilute the resulting mass in 2 buckets of water. Just pour the solution into a flower garden, without fear of overdoing it. The optimal time is the appearance of the first shoots. Bread will give impetus to the development of the root and budding.
Fertilizing peonies is not difficult. It is important to remember that this should be done only in the spring or in the first days of summer. Later feedings will lead to looseness of the structure of the stems. The plant will become vulnerable to fungi and various diseases.
FOOD FEEDING OF PIES IN THE FIRST 2 YEARS AFTER THE LANDING
For the first two years, young pions do not need root dressings with mineral fertilizers if the soil has been fertilized well enough during planting. At this age, enough peonies watered, loosen and weed. To loosen the peonies should be very careful: next to the bush loosen the soil to a depth of 5 cm, and at a distance of 20 cm from the bush - to a depth of 10 cm. Loosening after rains and heavy irrigation is especially necessary.
And foliar top dressing in the first year after planting may be as follows:
- Urea solution: 40-50 g per 10 liters of water. With the help of a garden sprayer, the treatment is carried out in the spring, as soon as the plants wake up and start growing.
- Re-peonies are treated after 10-15 days. This time, 1 tab. Is added to the urea solution. trace elements.
- The third dressing is done in another 10-15 days. The composition of the solution: table 2. trace elements per 10 liters of water, without urea.
At the same time, during the 2nd and 3rd dressing, you can water the pions under the root of one of the solutions in order to stimulate the growth of the root system:
- Sodium humate: 5 g per 10 liters of water,
- Heteroauxin: 2 tablets per 10 liters of water.
In the first 2 years it is important for a young plant to develop a powerful root system, get stronger, form a strong shrub. Therefore, in addition to supplements, it is advised in the literature to remove peony buds in the first 2 years after planting. Abundant flowering can be expected only in the 3rd year.
THREE SUPPORT FOR FLOWERING
So, at the age of 3 years, peonies, as a rule, begin to delight the eye with lush flowering. By this time, the plant usually has 10-15 stems. Now the plant needs regular root dressings with mineral fertilizers. Over the entire growing season (from spring to autumn) there should be at least three. It is important to observe the dosage and processing time of plants. Overfeeding is as undesirable as nutritional deficiency.
The first spring feeding
Time: early spring, during the melting of the snow or immediately after.
Ingredients: 10-15 g of nitrogen and 15-20 g of potassium per 1 plant, urea can be used.
How to feed: fertilizer scattered around the bush or buried in the groove around it.
The second spring feeding
Time: in the budding phase
Ingredients: 10 g of nitrogen, 15-20 g of phosphorus, 10-15 g of potassium per 10 liters of water. Dosage - 1 plant.
How to feed: in the form of an aqueous solution, at the root.
Time: 14 days after flowering.
Ingredients: 15-20 g of phosphorus, 10-15 g of potassium per 10 liters of water. Dosage - 1 plant.
How to feed: in the form of an aqueous solution, at the root.
WHAT TO FEED PIES AT THE AGE OF 8-10 YEARS
Peonies in "advanced" age need to increase the dose of mineral fertilizers in the composition of dressings by 1.5 times. At the age of 8-10 years peonies are recommended top dressing slurry.
Feeding time: in the budding phase, once.
Ingredients: mullein / bird droppings + mineral fertilizers.
The recipe of the solution:
- Fresh mullein (1 liter) is diluted in 10 liters of water. Instead, you can use bird droppings (500 ml) - 10 liters of water. Add 40-50 g of superphosphate to the solution and draw for 10-12 days. Before use, the solution is diluted with water 1: 1.
- A groove 10–15 cm in depth is dug around the bush at a distance of 20 cm. A bucket of fertilizer is spent on 1 plant.
Important! Root top dressings are carried out so that the solutions do not fall on the rhizome of pion.
Peony loves moisture, and abundant watering it requires:
- during budding (before flowering),
- during the formation of kidney renewal (since mid-summer).
Watering frequency: 1 time in 8-10 days.
Amount of water: 3-4 buckets for 1 adult bush.
After watering: the earth is loosened and mulched.
Watering peonies is best in the evening. During flowering, it is important to ensure that water drops do not fall on the flowers.
Such a scheme of fertilizing and peony irrigation is given in the book Peonies. My blooming garden.
How to feed the peonies for lush flowering in the spring?
But it would be unfair to turn to one source, so we decided to watch videos on youtube. They flower growers share their experience in the care of plants.
Water soluble fertilizer for flowers: Fertik, Kemira, Terrace Suite
Mid-May - it's time to feed the peonies. The peony root is located deep enough, and in order for the fertilizer to reach the roots, 30 centimeters from the bush, you need to make holes about 15 cm deep.
Kemira, Fertika, Terrace-lux - complex fertilizers for flower cultures in granules with a good set of trace elements. They contain nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus, which are so necessary for early spring peony blooming. Around the bush enough to make 3-4 holes, and in each pour half a tablespoon of fertilizer.
Important: before any peony feedings, you must first water the soil.
There is such an option. You can prepare an aqueous solution of the listed complex fertilizers: 1 tbsp of fertilizer "Fertika" or "Terrace Suite" 10 liters of water. A solution of trace elements make root feeding or spraying over the leaves. Processing can be carried out twice: as soon as the “noses” of plants from the ground appeared in early spring and during budding, just before flowering. Top dressing consumption per 1 bush - 10 liters.
Feeding is also recommended after rain or watering, on wet soil.
Mullein infusion + mineral fertilizers
2 weeks before flowering, it is useful to feed the peonies with infusion of mullein, diluted with water in a ratio of 1 to 20, with the addition of potash-phosphorus fertilizer.
Humus, "Baikal", "Gumi"
In the spring, when the stems just appeared above the ground, the soil must be cleared of weeds and puffed shallowly. Old peonies can be sprayed with Bordeaux mixture (1%) to prevent fungal diseases.
It is useful to sprinkle the soil under the bushes with humus (several handfuls are enough), and then pour it with water. You can make fertilizing with mineral fertilizers: azofoskoy, superphosphate, solution of "Baikal", herbal extract, solution of "Gumi".
The second feeding is carried out after another 10 days. And then - in the phase of the formation of buds.
Mineral Fertilizer Solutions
In the spring, as soon as the first shoots appear, an aqueous solution of mineral fertilizers is prepared: 15 g of ammonium nitrate per 10 liters of water.
At the stage of budding or during the flowering of pions: 7 g of ammonium nitrate, 5 g of potassium salt, 10 g of superphosphate.
After flowering - 5 g of potassium salt and 10 g of superphosphate.
In this proportion, aqueous solutions of mineral fertilizers are prepared and applied to the pits dug 20 cm from the bush, 10-15 cm deep.
One loaf of black bread is cut into slices and soaked in 10 liters of water. Put in the sun, cover with a lid so that the pieces of bread are buried in water (you can under a press). Bread will release a large amount of acids into the water, which will be useful for the growth of pions. Insist 1-2 days.
Sources of information in this section: video feeds on Youtube.