Carrots are a tasty and healthy crop, brought to our region from the Mediterranean coast more than 4,000 years ago. The only vegetable that arrived from Europe to America, and not vice versa.
Since the beginning of the cultivation of carrots, much has changed: the root crop has “repainted” from violet to orange which is familiar to everyone, has become sweeter and, unfortunately, “capricious”. Now, in order to collect a good harvest, gardeners should not only work hard, but also carefully study the basic rules of carrot care!
In order to prevent the leaching (knocking down) of seeds, the germination of germination and the sharp decrease in soil temperature during watering, its strength is controlled with the help of special equipment:
- Garden watering can be considered the most suitable tool for watering carrots: with a long and thin pipe and a divider of average diameter. It is better that the divider is removable - this can be cleaned or replaced from time to time with a new one.
- If the crops occupy a very large area, and there is no time to “mess around” with a watering can - you need a quality hose: durable, flexible, resistant to creases, with a spray nozzle at the end.
Buckets - absolutely not suitable equipment for watering carrots. You should not use them on your bed, especially if we are talking about young shoots.
Watering the seeds and the first shoots
When germinating, carrot seeds absorb a lot of water - up to 100% of their own weight. Therefore, the bed prepared for them is moistened both before and after sowing. It is thanks to the careful irrigation of the soil that it is possible to avoid excessive surface evaporation of moisture and the accompanying burning of young carrot tops.
Watering frequency and water flow
Watering young, immature shoots of carrots is carried out quite often - every 3-4 days in hot weather. As the bushes grow, the rate of irrigation is reduced: water is watered as the soil dries out, every 5-7 days (or so). Water consumption is on average 15 liters per 1 square meter.
Considering how intensively and how often to water carrots, consider the climatic conditions of your region, the type and quality of the soil, the proximity of groundwater, as well as other factors of this kind. An exemplary irrigation schedule is not the ultimate truth - it can increase or decrease.
Watering carrots is best in the early morning. Evening watering will also not harm the plants (if the night is warm). Daytime irrigation is recommended. However, if that is unavoidable - watering carrots should be very careful, so that splashes of water and dirt do not fall on the stems and leaves.
The temperature of the water carrots also imposes certain requirements. It is best that in hot weather it is slightly cooler (18-22 ° C), on cloudy days it is slightly warmer (25-30 ° C). Watering carrots in open ground with water whose temperature is less than 10 ° C is recommended to be discarded.
Consequences of improper watering
Weak irrigation leads to the proliferation of lateral shoots and other deformations of carrots. In fact, it does not grow inland, but in breadth, and therefore does not receive enough nutrients from the soil.
Excessive watering contributes to the spread of the fungus that causes various diseases of carrots. Especially dangerous is the overmoistening of the soil in the "combination" with its insufficient fertilizer nutrients.
If the carrots were not watered for a long time, and then they decided at once to “catch up”, it can crack and lose the lion’s share of its taste. Before watering carrots after a long drought, it is recommended to slightly loosen the soil and moisten it with a small amount of water for “training”.
Basic rules for feeding carrots in open ground
In addition to watering, the basic care of carrots involves the timely application of fertilizer into the soil. Fertilizer is necessary for the plant for proper growth, nutrition, strengthen the immune system and increase vitality. The health, taste, appearance and duration of storage of the crop will depend on how correct and timely the feeding is.
So, how to feed carrots?
- Nitrogen. At the beginning of the summer of carrots, nitrogen is vital - a substance that is responsible for the growth of green mass and the formation of the ground part of plants. With a lack of nitrogen tops to stop growth, the leaves become shallow, lose their color intensity, turn yellow and die. Fruits grow small and dry.
- Potassium. During intensive growth, carrots are extremely in need of potassium. Potash fertilizers not only provide normal photosynthesis of plants, but also protect roots from damage by all sorts of fungal and viral diseases. Potassium deficiency can be identified by the shrub height, bronze color, brown leaf tips and too much development of the above-ground part of the carrot (developing to the detriment of the root).
- Phosphorus. On the hottest days, carrots need a sufficient amount of phosphorus - a substance responsible for reducing properties and tissue development. The lack of phosphorus can be easily identified by the appearance of the “patient”: first, reddish or purple stripes appear on the leaves, then they completely change color, curl and dry out (this picture resembles the picture of a carrot fly). The whole plant is stunted. Fruits form dwarf, weak, thin, with pointed (rather than rounded) ends. Not happy and their taste.
- Manganese and barium. Manganese and barium - the best than feeding carrots and beets can be at the time of the growth of root crops. The lack of these elements is easily identified by white or red spots on the upper leaves and a dark (almost black) core of the root.
- Boron. In the middle of summer, feeding carrots in the open field consists in adding boron. Boron - one of the most important trace elements for crops, which is responsible for the regulation of pollination, fertilization, protein and carbohydrate metabolism and, of course, the taste of the fruit (increases the amount of sugars). Boron deficiency can be determined by marginal and apical leaf necrosis, yellowing of veins, inhibition of plant development, and some other external features.
What fertilizer to choose?
Natural biostimulants suitable for feeding carrots are ash, mullein, compost, lime, nettle, decoction of burdock and chamomile. However, the use of organic matter has a lot of minuses: the complexity of storage, preparation, calculation of the dosage of the solution, and so on. Often does more harm than good. To resort to organic fertilizers is only those who fear all kinds of "chemistry", does not want to recognize it and loves to experiment.
Ready complex fertilizers, liquid fraction or in granules, in turn, in the application is very simple. Yes, and the composition is often significantly superior to organics. The choice of drugs suitable for carrots is huge:
- “Uniflor-bud” and so on.
- In order to increase the "immunity" of carrots, it is necessary to feed it with potassium sulphate 10-14 days before harvesting.
- Before feeding plants, the soil should be moistened with plain clean water.
- Fertilizing carrots is made for each plant individually.
- Every few years the site must be lime. Lime is paid at the rate of 0.4 kg / 1 square meter.
- Boric solution contribute at the rate of 2-3 liters of the mixture / 1 linear meter.
- A solution of manganese and barium is prepared in proportion 1 tsp / 10 liters of water.
- Saline solution is prepared in proportion 1 tablespoon of salt / 10 liters of water
- The clay composition of the soil is watered less often, sandy - more often.
- The beds along the wall or fence are watered more often, in the shade of trees - less often.
- In the dry season, the beds are watered more often, and on cloudy days - less often.
What kind of soil does carrots like?
Suitable soil - one of the most important components of the crop.
Each plant prefers its own variety of soil:
- In the case of carrots, it is better to choose a loamy or sandy option.
- The plant grows well in crumbly soil with a high, not less than 4%, humus content.
- Another important factor is low acidity of the soil. If you do not take it into account, the carrot will give a bad harvest because of frequent diseases.
Preparing beds for carrots
For spring planting plants prepare the soil in advance, even in the fall. First of all, select "good" predecessors.
Carrots give a rich harvest after crops such as:
Preparation of the autumn bed is in her digging. The depth of digging is not less than 20-30 cm. The optimum width of the bed for growing carrots is no more than 90 cm. In this case, it will be convenient for you to weed and water the plant.
How to grow more crops?
It is pleasant to any gardener and summer resident to receive a big crop with large fruits. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to get the desired result.
Often plants lack nutrition and minerals.
In such cases, our readers recommend using BioGrow's innovative bio-fertilizer..
It has the following properties:
- Allows increase yield by 50% in just a few weeks of use.
- Can get good harvest even on low fertile soils and in adverse climatic conditions
- Absolutely safe
What fertilizers are needed carrots?
During the preparation of the beds for planting carrots should simultaneously hold and feeding.
What exactly to use depends on the characteristics of the soil:
- If the soil is loamy, the dressing is performed by adding 3 kg of sawdust per 1 square meter. m., pre-soaked in a solution of urea. Also, half a bucket of sand, 100 g of superphosphate, potash fertilizers and lime are added to the same area of soil.
- In the case of sandy soil, on 1 square. m. square beds sprinkled over a bucket of humus and peat.
After making the feeding ground dig up. It is desirable to sift the soil additionally, carrots like loose soil.
And what to use for feeding carrots? A significant part of summer residents prefer organic fertilizers. In their opinion, these substances cause less harm to the human body.
As a feed for carrots used:
- Peat, compost and manure. Top-dressing of these components should be carried out in autumn, when preparing the soil for future plantings. This is especially true of manure. If you do this just before planting carrots, you will not get a good harvest. Contained substances will affect the growth of greenery, and roots will be weak.
- Be careful with bird droppings. Apply it as follows. Initially, one part of the litter is diluted in 10 parts of water. After the agent has infused, it is again bred in the same proportion. Feeding carrots bird droppings is carried out only at the very beginning of plant growth.
- Experienced gardeners often use ashes. This feed provides phosphorus and potassium. Plus, the ash neutralizes the acidity of the soil.
- Yeast and eggshells are also used as an organic fertilizer for carrots. The first component helps improve root growth. Eggshell primarily, due to slow dissolution, supplies the plant with calcium and potassium throughout the season.
Not only the organic matter used as a feed, you can achieve a good harvest of carrots.
Mineral fertilizers have their advantages:
- First of all, they need to be made in small quantities.
- Secondly, often in one preparation contains all the substances required for the active growth of the plant.
For example, Mortar, Nitrophoska and Kemira - These are complex mineral fertilizers.
- and other substances useful for carrot development.
Mineral fertilizer with a high nitrogen content. This substance improves the growth of green mass. In the case of carrots, this circumstance does not quite fit. The plant is needed only in the first months of plant growth. In the future, such dressing will only worsen the quality of the root.
Urea is used in one of the following ways:
- As an initial feeding in the process of preparing the soil for planting carrots. A common method is soaking sawdust, before making them into the ground. First, prepare a solution, 5 tablespoons of urea dissolved in a bucket of water. Sawdust is left in this “mixture” for three days.
- If at the early growth stage the carrots are weak, then spend foliar feeding. Prepare a two percent solution of urea and spray it with plants.
The second option applies at least 4 months before harvest. Otherwise, the carrot will be with numerous sprouts.
Top dressing made of lava mass. The composition of a large number of mineral elements useful for the growth of carrots and other plants.
- phosphorus, its share is more than half of the total mass,
- chromium and a number of other trace elements.
Fertilizing carrots using fertilizer "Ava" spend before landing. Enough 10 grams per square meter. m square beds. And also feeding can be done during the growth of the plant. Four grams of granules are dissolved in a liter of water and watered.
The main components of the fertilizer are nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. Means is used for top dressing, for prevention of diseases and for protection against wreckers.
The first "Tsitovit" is used for soaking the seeds:
- Preparing a solution - 3-4 drops of the drug per 100 g of water.
- It leaves seeds for 1-2 hours.
- After this treatment, the carrot will rise 2-3 days earlier.
Proven popular recipes
There are many ways to feed carrots. A big part of them was “invented” by the gardeners themselves, observing the plant's reaction to this or that interference.
Here are some popular recipes for feeding carrots:
- Prepare the capacity of the desired volume.
- Freshly cut nettle branches are added to it to the top. The grass is pre-crushed.
- Next, make wood ash. Depending on the acidity of the soil use from 2 to 5 glasses.
- Another component is yeast, they are quite small packs.
- All poured water and allowed to stand for 5 days.
Fertilizing carrots carried out under each root, with one liter of funds must be diluted with 10 liters of water.
- Chopped freshly cut leaves are placed in a container and filled with warm water.
- Expose the sun and give wander for two weeks.
- Daily tool mixed.
Before feeding carrots, the resulting infusion is diluted with water in a ratio of 1 to 10.
- In a bucket of water diluted with 100 g of yeast.
- Allowed to brew no more than one and a half hours.
- The resulting tool watered beds.
This feeding carrots is carried out with unfriendly shoots or as an additional food for the active growth of root crops.
Carrots are grown for a long time. Therefore, the listed folk remedies are tested and help well. One more plus of similar top dressing is its cheapness. Ash and nettle will get for free, and yeast is inexpensive.
Soil fertilizer before planting
The very first dressing is carried out in the preparation of the soil. Carrot prefers fertile and loose soil, with good permeability to both water and air.
To get a good harvest, first prepare the beds:
- Bring compost and humus. One bucket for each square. m will be enough. Use of fresh manure is undesirable. If you do this, then autumn is added to top dressing. After adding the component, the bed must be dug up,
- Carrot does not like acidic media. If the soil on the site is such, then it is corrected. To do this, use dolomite flour or ash from wood. The latter component will help not only to correct acidity, but also make the necessary amount of phosphorus and potassium and protect plants from diseases,
- If the gardener prefers mineral fertilizers, they are also introduced during soil preparation. On every square. m add superphosphate 200 g, potash fertilizer 100 g, sodium nitrate 50 g. And also add lime, 100 g per meter.
Feed the compost and humus can be in the autumn. Mineral fertilizers and ashes are applied in the spring, just before planting carrots.
Fertilizing during planting
Gardeners most often use two options for soaking carrot seeds:
- In a liter of water, one third of a teaspoon of boric acid and half a teaspoon of nitrophoska are diluted.
- Seeds of carrots are placed in a gauze bag and soaked in the resulting solution for 3 days.
- Next, they are allowed to dry and start planting.
- In the same amount of water dissolve a gram of potassium permanganate and half a teaspoon of any fertilizer with complex content.
- Further, we act according to the same scenario as in the first variant.
Soaking, first of all, disinfects seeds. Кроме того, микроэлементы будут являться и первоначальной подкормкой, обеспечивая лучший старт молодым росткам морковки.
Подкормка в процессе выращивания
Операцию проводят несколько раз:
- diluted infusion of chicken manure,
Nitrogen in used fertilizers should be at a minimum. For "sweets" use and wood ash. It is either simply scattered over the surface of the soil or make a water tincture.
Gardeners recommend and carry out the fourth feeding carrots. It is necessary for the removal of nitrates from root crops. Fertilizing, consisting of potash fertilizer or ash, is carried out a month before harvesting.
Stories of our readers!
"I am a summer resident with many years of experience, and I started using this fertilizer only last year. I tested it on the most demanding vegetable in my vegetable garden — on tomatoes. The bushes grew and bloomed together, yielded more than usual yield. And they did not hurt the blight, this is important.
Fertilizer really gives a more intensive growth of garden plants, and they bear fruit much better. Now you cannot grow a normal crop without fertilizer, and this dressing increases the amount of vegetables, so I am very pleased with the result. "
There are many methods of landing. If you plant often, the roots will be small.
For this reason, gardeners use different methods of planting carrots:
- With the help of tapes. Toilet paper is cut into tapes 2 cm wide, onto which seeds are glued. The distance between each is kept at 2-3 cm. And also ready-made tapes are used.
- Expensive option - a container with dispenser. It is a kind of medical syringe. The seeds are placed into it, and when the valve is pressed, it falls into the ground.
Used and improvised means. For sowing carrots used tray from under the eggs. With its help, in the prepared soil they push indentations into which one seed is placed.
Carrot Care Rules
After germination, it is time for the remaining work.
In addition to feeding, carrots require the following:
- Watering - no plant can grow without moisture. The amount of water per square. m depends on the "age". Immediately after sowing, 3 liters is enough. Further, in the period of growth of tops, consumption increased to 10 liters. Since the beginning of the formation of root water will need 20 liters per meter. 1.5 months before harvest, the volume is halved. Watering is carried out at least 1 time per week.
- With frequent planting carrots grow small. For a good harvest it is thinned. 20 days after germination, some of the plants are removed, leaving gaps of 2-3 cm. After another 2-3 weeks, the second thinning is performed. In this case, 6-8 cm are left between the plants.
Periodically carry out weeding. This is especially important in the first month, when the plants are still small. To facilitate weeding, use mulching. The open areas are covered with small grass.
Carrots as fertilizer
Experienced gardeners use everything from their site. Plant and carrot cleaning can be an excellent dressing. She covered the soil in the fall. In the spring they dig up rotting tops, thereby increasing fertility. This feeding increases the content of nitrogen, potassium and iron in the soil.
And also carrot leaves are used to protect onions from pests. Its smell does not tolerate onion fly.
Good harvest - care for the plant. In this case, not only watering and weeding. To improve the growth of carrots need to feed. They begin this work while preparing the soil for sowing. Bring in peat, humus, ash and other components.
And also do additional feeding during the growth of carrots. Work is carried out from 2 to 4 times per season. Only in this case, large and sweet root vegetables will delight you during the harvest.
How to prepare the soil before planting
The soil for planting carrots should be prepared in the fall. It grows well after potatoes, beans, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, cucumbers or peas. There are several tips for choosing fertilizer:
- If the land is not fertile, then it is worth making compost or humus (consumption 10 liters per square meter).
- If the earth is clay and heavy, then you need to add sawdust, sand or peat.
- If the earth is acidic, then you must add chalk or ash. For carrots, acidity of the soil is not as important as, for example, for beets, therefore lime should be added only if the pH is below 5 point and 5 tenth units. At the same time, it is impossible to simultaneously lime the soil and apply fertilizer, otherwise the crop may not be at all.
Before sowing carrots, in about one or two weeks, the ground should be dug, sifted (so that there are no pebbles), leveled and watered with warm water. Then is necessary cover the ground with a film so that the earth warms up and does not dry out.
How to feed carrot seeds
In order for carrots to quickly and grow well, there are two ways to prepare seeds:
- Soaking in wood ash. One tablespoon of ash is diluted in 1 liter of water. Carrot seeds are poured into the bag and placed in the mixture for a day. After that, the seeds should be dried and planted in the ground under the film.
- Landing in paste. Cooked ordinary liquid paste (with flour or starch). After it cools down, add mineral fertilizers and carrot seeds. Fill the resulting solution with a confectionery syringe and carefully squeeze it into the prepared soil grooves.
Choice of top dressing: mineral fertilizers or organic
How to feed carrots in open ground: mineral fertilizers or still organic? As a rule, many people consider organic as the best fertilizer. This is true only when used correctly. For example, organic matter (humus, compost) should be made in the autumn, so that the earth can be fed with fertilizers and well re-burnt. It is important to remember that it is undesirable for carrots, as for beets, to apply organic matter just before planting seeds or during growth.
Organics Do not deposit too often. If the place where the planting of carrots is planned was fertilized last year, now it does not need any additional feeding.
From organic fertilizers for carrots (as well as for many other crops, for example, beets) in the open ground, such as ash, mullein, humus, lime, nettle will do. The difficulty lies in the fact that there are nuances during storage, preparation and dosage. And, most importantly, organic matter must be applied carefully, otherwise you can lose the entire crop. Excess fertilizer can cause fruits to grow crooked, savory and tasteless.
Mineral fertilizers for carrots, in turn, are great for foliar dressing. They are necessary for plant growth and for replenishing essential substances.
Nitrogen. This substance is necessary at the beginning of the growth of the plant for the formation of leaves. If it is not enough in the soil, the leaves turn yellow, shrink and eventually die. As a result, the fruits will be small and tasteless.
Potassium. Required during active growth of carrots. It is responsible for photosynthesis, and also protects plants from various diseases. With its lack of a bush undersized, but at the same time, the terrestrial part is highly developed, and the tips of the leaves are brown.
Phosphorus. Needed on the hottest days for tissue development. With a lack of phosphorus, reddish stripes appear on the leaves, over time the leaves change color and die. As a result, the fruits will be weak and thin.
Manganese and potassium. It is an excellent dressing for carrots, and for beets during the growth of the root. If one of the substances is missing, then red and white spots appear on the upper leaves.
Boron. Needed to enhance the taste of the fruit. With its lack of leaves begin to die off, streaks turn yellow, plant growth is inhibited.
Therefore, it is impossible to say which feedings to use. The best solution is to combine organic and mineral fertilizers. For example, in the autumn humus is introduced, and in the spring during the vegetative growth of a plant mineral fertilizers are used.
Carried out when the plant will be 2-3 leaves. Top dressing is made by mix of mineral substances: on 1 square meter of 150 grams. It includes such mineral fertilizers as potash - 60 grams, phosphate - 40 grams and nitrogen - 50 grams. All of these ingredients dissolve in water and water the plants.
There is a slightly different feeding: in 10 liters of water diluted 30 grams of potassium salt, 25 grams of nitrate (ammonium) and 30 grams of superphosphate. This solution is enough for 10 meters of land.
It is carried out when the root crop begins actively grow (this is about 20 days after the second). It is necessary for the sugar content of carrots. Wood ash is best suited for this. You can gently sprinkle it dry on the garden bed and carefully break through the soil or make an infusion (2 cups of ash in a bucket of hot water, let it stand for a few days) and pour.
Three weeks before harvest, carrots can be fed with humates. In this case, the fruit will be juicy and sweet.
Boric acid also has a good effect on plant growth. It can be fed two times: the first - when the underground part develops, the second - 4 weeks before the gathering harvest. This feeding is carried out foliar way.
How to feed carrots
To ensure the proper care of carrots exist regulations feeding this root:
- Liquid fertilizer should not be applied to dry soil. This should be done after rain or watering the bed.
- After the second feeding will take place nitrogen fertilizers should be excluded.
- You should not make a lot of organic matter, as this will adversely affect the development and storage of the plant.
- Do not feed fertilizer containing chlorine. Carrots do not like this; ugly fruits may appear.
- If carrots are planted immediately after deoxidation of the soil, this will lead to the appearance of several tails at the root.
Thus, to get a good harvest of carrots is definitely necessary fertilize the soil. And before you do this, you should carefully study the recommendations on the choice of dressing in one or another period of vegetative ripening of the root. Only in this case, the fruits will be large, juicy and very tasty.
Why do we need fertilizers
In reality, there is a completely different picture. If we take and sow this crop in areas that are not fertilized with nutritious mixtures, the roots are small and most often ugly. That is why the systemic feeding of carrots, carried out during the entire period of growth, allows you to get a good collection of root vegetables without any particular hassle.
Its nutritional and taste qualities largely depend on the type of fertilizer applied to the soil, as well as on the presence of trace elements in it and a sufficient amount of moisture. In order to get the desired taste effect, during the whole season, top dressing should be made at least 2-3 times.
Important! When making fertilizer for carrots when planting on garden beds, you should always remember to follow the general rules for growing all crops: "Do not overdo it and know the measure."
Carrots are very sensitive to an excess of fertilizers, and their surplus disrupts its normal development. At the same time, the appearance of the root crop deteriorates noticeably, and a part of the taste is also lost. In addition, gardeners who “overdosed” with dressing will not be able to store carrots for a long time and risk partially losing the already harvested rich harvest.
In order to find out how to fertilize carrots planted in open ground, you should carefully examine the types of fertilizers that are used for these purposes in the spring-summer season and the autumn that follows them.
Any vegetable crop, for which the most suitable landing site is a common garden garden bed, lacks the most diverse nutrients during the growing season. If you do not fertilize carrots in time, the crop yield drops significantly, and instead of large and juicy fruits, stumps do not grow thicker than a little finger.
To this it should be added that if the vegetable was not saturated with organic matter in full force, the shelf life of its vegetable is sharply reduced.
There are several ways to feed carrots in the period of its growth (after planting has already ended), which contribute to the full development of this root. Their main differences are in the types and types of fertilizers applied.
The following nutrients are commonly used as such supplements:
- Mineral Supplements
- Organic and complex fertilizers,
- The so-called "folk" means.
Consider each of these items in more detail.
The composition of fertilizers, familiar to many under the name "mineral", is represented by such well-known elements of the periodic table as manganese, boron and barium. Carrots need these minerals immediately after the first shoot emerges, that is, at the very early stage of the development of root crops.
The lack of these elements in the soil is determined by the characteristic white (or red) spots that appear on top of the leaves, as well as by the almost black core of the fruit. The correct approach to fertilizer boron is to make it into the soil around the middle of summer. The timely use of this trace element provides the normalization of the following processes:
- Pollination and fertilization of culture
- Recovery of protein and carbohydrate metabolism,
- Improving the taste of the root with a simultaneous increase in the sugar content in it.
In addition, boric feed must be made in cases where the apical necrosis of carrot leaves is found, accompanied by yellowing of the veins. Boric acid contained in it contributes to the full development of the plant.
The introduction of minerals is carried out according to the standards presented below:
- In order to fertilize the soil with lime (dolomite flour containing manganese), it should be applied at the rate of 0.4 kg per unit of fertilized area,
- Boric solution is used in quantities of 2-3 liters of the mixture poured on a bed of meter length,
- Solutions of pure manganese and barium are prepared in proportions of one teaspoon, dissolved in 10 liters of pure water,
- For the preparation of salt solutions, one tablespoon of table salt is taken, and then dissolved in a 10-liter container with water.
Prepared, in accordance with these recipes, solutions in loamy soil should be added a little less than in sandy soil. According to their location, the beds with carrots are also divided into those that are fertilized more often (located near the wall or fence) and somewhat less. The latter are usually broken in the shade of large trees.
Important! In order to increase the “immunity” of the carrot root, it is also recommended to feed it with potassium sulfate (this procedure is carried out approximately two weeks before harvest).
Before any feeding of plants of this class, the ground is pre-moistened with well-settled water. Note also that the fertilizer should be made in small portions, placed under each root individually. To maintain good growth, the soil throughout the site is lime, as a rule, no more than once every 2-4 years.
Organic and complex fertilizers
Industrial organic biostimulants that are widely used as fertilizer for carrots include the following commercially available drugs:
- "Fitosporin-M" and others like him
This list should be supplemented with such well-known organic additives that stimulate the growth of carrots, such as "Gamair" and "Uniflor-bud" and others.
Organic Growth Supplements
Ready-to-use complex fertilizers (a mixture of ash, yeast and nettle humus), as a rule, go on sale in the form of liquid fractions or instant granules and are distinguished by their simplicity of use.
Other advantages of this type of organic include the fact that in terms of their diversity and composition they often outperform hand-made “folk” blends.
Folk fertilizers (top five)
The whole secret of the so-called "popular" means is to use the waste of a private farm (manure, ash and mullein, as well as compost and various decoctions of herbs).
Consider each popular method of carrot fertilizer in more detail (we reduce them to the top five of the best). At the same time, we will try to deal with the techniques that will make it possible to bring them into the ground in the best possible way, and also what effect can be expected from this.
A young growth of carrots, as well as onions or beets planted next to it, will develop very well if the fertilizer is dry ash or an infusion of it. When using them, a certain application rate must be observed, namely:
- In June, it is recommended to fertilize the soil with a dry compound, gently sprinkling it along the beds, at the rate of no more than a glass per square meter,
- In another variant of mixing ash and carrots, its infusion is prepared (100 grams per ten-liter bucket of water), which is then poured onto the plants directly under their root.
By its chemical composition, ash is an excellent supplier of magnesium, sodium, as well as potassium and other trace elements, without which no increase in greenness is possible.
Wood ash fertilizer
When investigating the problem, what fertilizers are applied under carrots in the spring, you should consider the option of using poultry (chicken) litter. For its preparation it is necessary to do the following operations:
- Take litter and put one of its share in ten parts of well-settled melt water,
- After it is completely dissolved, gently water the carrot aisles with the prepared mixture.
В курином помете содержится большое количество калия, цинка, а также азота, необходимых для полноценного развития растений.
Помет птиц как удобрение
Настой из крапивы
Any vegetable crop cannot but “love” top dressing with infusion based on nettle, prepared in this order:
- First you need to fill 2/3 of a ten-liter container with finely chopped nettle,
- After that, a glass of ash is poured into it, and then it is all filled with clean water, tightly closed and placed in heat,
- During sludge, the contents of the tank are periodically mixed until there are signs of fermentation (bubbles, foam and a not very pleasant smell),
- After the preparation is ready, it is taken in a volume of 100 ml, and then diluted in a bucket (10 liters), after which each sowing hole with carrot seed is watered.
Nettle provides carrots with the following microelements: iron, potassium, magnesium, etc.
Fresh yeast is an excellent solution to the question of how to feed carrots in the summer-autumn season using only folk methods. To prepare the composition you need to stir half a kilogram of yeast in 2.5 liters of water and add half a glass of ash there, which will protect the composition from washing out potassium from it.
Fertilizer with fresh yeast
After that, the mixture is diluted with water in a ratio of 1:10, and then it can feed the root system. Yeast compounds for fertilizing roots sufficiently supply them with phosphorus and nitrogen.
In cases of poor soil it is better to put a set of several nutrients in it, prepared as follows:
- First, a ten-liter bucket is filled with 2/3 of thoroughly chopped nettle with weeds, and then it all is filled with water also by 2/3 volume,
- After that, the resulting mass is mixed with wood ash (2 cups) and branded yeast pack,
- The container should be stored for two days in a sunny place, occasionally stirring its contents.
After the allotted time, one glass of fertilizer is poured with ten liters of water, and then introduced into the root system.
How to feed carrots when shoots appear
When examining the question of how carrots are fertilized during planting and immediately after the eruption of seedlings, it should be noted that in this case it is best to refuse mineral fertilizers. For carrots, which have just been planted, organic fertilizers are more suitable, which include well-known folk remedies (manure, bird droppings, ashes, etc.).
When choosing organic many gardeners often differ in their preferences. Some of them choose industrial fertilizers, while others plan to bring natural products into the earth, which they consider to be safer and more beneficial.
Substances related to folk remedies (yeast, in particular), are easily absorbed by any plants and save not only the soil, but also earthworms, contributing to its better loosening.
Feeding carrots get good fruit
In the period when the landing of carrots is organized, this circumstance is crucial. Let us consider how the carrot feeding is organized in the open ground immediately before the beginning of its growth (vegetation).
After the eruption of the first seedlings, it is advisable to add to the soil an iodine solution prepared from 20 drops of iodine dissolved in 10 liters of pure spring water. The resulting composition in small doses poured into the aisle, which will accelerate the growth of carrots and at the same time improve the taste of its fruits.
The rotted manure (one part) is diluted in 10 parts of rainwater, after which the resulting mixture is poured in small portions also in the aisle. This fertilizer contains a number of valuable substances, including such an element necessary for the formation of bushy greenery, such as nitrogen.
From the foregoing it follows that planting and then growing vegetables without using “chemistry” is quite realistic.
If there is a choice between the two options, home-grown organic fertilizers usually outweigh. However, when considering the diversity of these nutrients, it is necessary to take into account the specifics of their use, often interpreted as a disadvantage.
In the final part of the review, we note that the problem areas of these fertilizers also include:
- The difficulty of preparation (receiving in limited dosages),
- The need for an accurate calculation of the doses themselves,
- Possible problems with their storage.
All of these deficiencies are devoid of branded additives produced by industry. That is why many gardeners prefer to do with ready-to-use purchased products that provide easier maintenance of plants.
Planting and growing in spring
Root crops should be planted in well-lit areas when the ground warms to a temperature of 7–8 degrees and the air temperature is 15–17. Seeds before planting are soaked in a nutrient solution so that the shell becomes softer - so the seeds germinate faster.
The bed is pre-watered, compost or rotted manure is added for the growth of root crops, then the seeds are buried in the ground and watered again. To make the carrot large and beautiful, you cannot use fresh manure, otherwise vegetables will accumulate nitrates and change shape due to the large amount of ammonia.
Fertilizing carrots and beets in the open field with folk remedies has a positive effect on the further development, since vegetables get all the necessary substances and trace elements - iodine, calcium, boron.
How to feed carrots and beets folk remedies:
Folk fertilizers for carrots accelerate growth, contribute to an increase in the number of beneficial bacteria in the soil (yeast), protect roots from damage by insects.
Sometimes carrots grow poorly - than to fertilize, tell the appearance of the tops. If the leaves have changed color to black or white, it means that a fungal disease has begun and it is necessary to urgently spray the tops with fungicides. If the foliage dries and turns yellow, it means that nematodes are bred or there is not enough potassium, boron.
One of the techniques that helps root crops to grow and fill faster - thinning plantings.
After sprouting after 2 - 3 weeks, it is necessary to prevent crops - remove weeds, remove excess sprouts, loosen the soil. At the first thinning, the distance between vegetables is 4 cm, when it grows up - 8 cm. It is not necessary to throw out vegetables. Even the smallest carrot is suitable in the kitchen - in the first courses, stews. These small vegetables canned, and then decorated with meat dishes, served as a snack.
Summer dressing of root crops
How to feed carrots and beets in July, choose from potassium phosphate mineral fertilizers or organic materials containing these substances. In the second half of summer, you need to take care of the taste of vegetables, so that they take sugar.
Feed carrots can be:
- Wood ash. In order to get the substances to the root quickly, an ash solution is prepared: 200 g of the substance are poured over 3 liters of boiling water, insist on the day and add water to 10 liters. pre-watered the earth, make indentations between the rows and pour the resulting infusion there. Wood ash from burning leaves and grass contains potassium, calcium and phosphorus - all that is needed to feed root crops.
- Potassium sulphate. Its chemical formula includes sulfur, calcium, sodium and iron. Beets and carrots in the open ground consume large amounts of sodium, so this fertilizer suits them perfectly.
Per square meter you need to take 30 g of granulated potassium sulfate and dissolve in a bucket of water. Water the solution with moist soil. Potassium is well absorbed along with superphosphate, as phosphate fertilizers accelerate the movement of juices through the plant tissues and thus deliver the necessary substances to the right place.
- Manure - universal fertilizer, than to feed carrots for growth in July and August. It is better to make in liquid form. To do this, humus 1/3 of the bucket (in no case fresh manure) insist in the water bucket for a day, dilute 1 liter of the mixture obtained for another 10 liters and water the soil, where the roots grow. Potassium content in rotted manure is about 1.1%, but there is a lot of organic matter, therefore manure is diluted
Video: Carrot Care in August
Potassium is important not only for the taste of vegetables, but also for the safety of root crops in the winter. With sufficient nutrition, vegetables are less damaged by rot and bacteriosis, and less susceptible to fungal diseases.
Autumn feeding root crops
Dates of fertilizer mid-late and late carrots are shifted by 1.5 months, since the vegetation period it lasts longer - up to 150 days.
These varieties are grown for long-term storage - until next year's harvest. So that they endure the winter and spring of next year in the storage, you need to take care of how to feed the carrots so that it is sweet and lay for a long time without being damaged by microorganisms.
Potassium and phosphorus will be needed again. The root crop accumulates these substances in the tissues and releases them when eaten. Healthy vegetables preserve fiber integrity and taste for 6 months.
Of natural fertilizers, ash is the best choice, as it contains trace elements that contribute to keeping quality - copper, boron. The best stored root crops, under which the summer was made the minimum amount of nitrogen, and watering is strictly controlled. With an excess amount of water carrots often crack, and in the cracks there is mold - the first sign of fungal infection. Therefore, the closer to harvesting, the less should be watered carrots.
The last dressing is carried out 2 weeks before harvesting. At the same time, the last time they water the roots. Than to feed carrots - mineral fertilizers or ashes - to decide the owner of a bed. You can simply make superphosphate and potassium salt in the wet ground and wait 2 weeks until the carrot absorbs the substance.
How to store carrots in the winter:
- To disinfect vegetable boxes with potassium permanganate or other means, to dry in the sun - under the influence of ultraviolet harmful microorganisms die.
- Sort the roots: intact in one box - they will be used later, damaged in another - these carrots should be used up quickly, until the entire crop is rotted.
- Pour carrot sand - layer by layer. Last year it is advisable not to use - it keeps the fungus spores well and keeps the moisture. Or ignite it before use.
- Put the boxes in a dark cool room with a humidity level of up to 90%. Usually it is a basement.
In winter, the storehouse inspects and discards damaged vegetables so that they do not infect the entire box.
Planting carrots in late autumn
In order for seedlings to appear faster in early spring, they practice the method of planting seeds in frozen ground. It is frozen in late November or early December. If you plant earlier, the seedlings will have time to appear above the ground and freeze in the cold. Therefore, they begin to sow when the air temperature drops to - 3 degrees. The soil is prepared in advance - superphosphate is introduced, potassium and nitrogen - in one complex fertilizer or separately.
Pre-seed preparation is not carried out. They must be dry. During the winter, the shell softens and by spring shoots appear. The advantage of this method is in a quicker harvest in spring. Next on the same bed sown late-grade carrots for storage in the winter. Moisture in the soil is enough after the snow melts, but if the winter was snowless, then in the spring the beds are watered to stimulate growth. After the emergence of seedlings, the greens are covered with a film so that the greens do not freeze.
Causes of poor growth of root crops
Not always a matter of dressing. Probably, the seeds were mixed up and instead of the early or mid-season variety, a later one was caught, which grows more slowly. Root crops may lag behind in development due to the thickening of crops, therefore they are thinned out.
If the principles of crop rotation are observed, the carrot grows well, even if the soil is not fertilized. But after planting carrots a second time at the same place, the yield decreases.
Poor roots can grow because of the increased nitrogen content. The root is divided into three or more parts, resulting in ugly forms that are unsuitable for storage.
With insufficient watering, the root crop develops additional roots to get more water. As a result, the main root will be weak and underdeveloped, but with a large number of processes. The same thing happens if you agglomerate the soil before planting root crops.
During the growth period, carrots are fed with potash-phosphorus fertilizers to grow large. It is better to use mineral fertilizers, and organic matter to make after harvest in the fall.
Root crops on clayey heavy soils develop poorly, especially with insufficient watering and without loosening. You need to add sand to improve drainage.
When the temperature rises above 30 degrees, the development of root crops is suspended, they stretch out, and the core increases in size. With a lack of sun carrot is lagging behind in development - you need to have the beds in open space.
Taste is affected by the absence of hilling. Part of the fruit is pulled out and is above the ground, which gives a bitter taste.
Periodically pour the ground to close the neck of a carrot.
When growing carrots, it is necessary to decide when a crop is needed and to select a variety accordingly. Do not use organics before planting carrots or other root vegetables. Properly stacking storage so that the vegetables do not spoil ahead of time.
Like this article? Share with your friends:
Good morning, dear readers! I am the creator of the project .NET. Fertilizers. Glad to see each of you on his pages. I hope the information from the article was helpful. Always open for communication - comments, suggestions, what else you want to see on the site, and even criticism, you can write me VKontakte, Instagram or Facebook (round icons below). All peace and happiness! 🙂
You will also be interested to read:
How to feed carrots in the open field
Top dressing carrots in open ground - This is one of the important factors for obtaining a rich harvest. Carrot - pretty vegetable capricious, acutely responsive to nutrient deficiency and excess.
Preparing the soil for planting
Place for planting root must begin to prepare in the fall. Humus or compost (10 liters per 1 square meter) should be added to the poor soil, sawdust, peat and sand are added to the heavy soil, and chalk should be added to the acidic soil.
In the spring, a week before the intended sowing, the earth is dug up, leveled and watered with warm water. The prepared soil is covered with plastic wrap — it will not allow the earth to dry and will help to warm the soil.
Fertilizers during sowing
If for some reason you did not have time to fertilize the future carrot beds, then this can be done immediately before planting:
- In the prepared solution of 1 liter of water with the addition of 1 tbsp. spoon wood ash put a bag of carrot seeds, leave it in the liquid for one day. Soaked seeds are dried and sown in the ground under the film.
- Cooked ordinary liquid paste on flour. In the cooled paste it is diluted with mineral fertilizers for carrots, add the seeds of the root and squeeze with a confectionery syringe into the prepared grooves.
How to fertilize carrots in the process of growing
The first top dressing with mineral fertilizers is given with the appearance of 2-3 sheets, as a rule, it is applied after thinning the beds. In small areas, it is better to use liquid mixtures.
For the first feeding carrots use: 10 liters of water, 25 grams of ammonium nitrate, 30 grams of superphosphate, 30 grams of potassium salt. This volume should be enough to handle 10 meters of beds.
The second feed. Conducted after 20 days of the same composition.
Third dressing carried out for late varieties of vegetables 20 days after the second, without fertilizers containing nitrogen.
Top dressing needs to be made after the main watering or after a rain, so all necessary nutrients remain in the soil.
For planting a root crop, it is necessary to select a site in an open field, without obscuring during daylight hours. The root crop, planted in a darkened area, is small, frail. The soil for planting should be light, with a drainage effect.
If by the appearance of the plant you do not understand which element is missing the plant - conduct a comprehensive feeding, but reduce the concentration of the composition in half.
Watering the plants is best in the early morning. The temperature of the water that is irrigated should vary between 20-25 ° C. Vegetable does not like frequent watering, but without them the growth of the plant is impossible.
When watering it is necessary to control the level of soil moisture, it should be equal to the length of the vegetable.
Feed carrots necessary. It is necessary for full growth, nutrition, increased vitality and immunity. Appearance, taste and duration of storage of carrots depend on correctly selected and timely fertilization.