Granadilla is a tropical, exotic fruit. This plant grows in two dozen edible variants. But only five of them are widespread. The most famous is the passion fruit. There is only one crop of granadilla in the world each year. And transportation to other countries is complicated by the fact that this fruit is perishable and, unfortunately, is not stored for a long time.
Appearance of granadilla
Granadilla is a fruit that has ovoid fruits with seeds. Their diameter is on average from six to eight centimeters. The rind is firm and slippery, but very thin. The color of granadilla can vary in different shades - yellow, red and orange. Ripe fruits are covered with small black specks randomly scattered on the pulp, which looks like jelly. The taste of the fruit - water-sweet, a bit like gooseberry berries.
Like most tropical fruits, granadilla is a fruit with more water. It can be up to eighty percent of the pulp. Therefore, granadilla perfectly quenches thirst and nourishes the body. There are no contraindications, except for individual intolerance to the fruit or a tendency to allergic reactions. Due to the high content of vitamins, minerals and trace elements, the use of granadilla:
- has a tonic effect on the body,
- allows you to resist colds,
- strengthens hair, bones and nails.
Granadilla is an exotic fruit, containing little fat and carbohydrates, easily absorbed by the body. Therefore, granadilla is included in the diet, which allows you to quickly lose weight. Due to the gland contained in the fruit, granadilla has a good effect on the blood. Therefore, fruit is often used to treat anemia. In addition to the above, the use of granadilla helps to get rid of asthma, headaches and insomnia.
The nutritional value
The fruit contains from two to four percent of fat and ten grams of dietary fiber. This gives the human body extra energy. One hundred grams of fruit contains 0.5 percent of proteins. Sweet granadilla is very rich in vitamin C. In addition to it, the fruit contains vitamins K, B (2, 6 and 9), PP and choline. In the fruit is very much:
Very interesting granadilla. How to eat this fruit? Mostly fresh. For this, the fruit is cut in half and the pulp is eaten with a spoon. From it is extracted juice, which becomes the basis for various drinks (including alcohol). Because of its structure, the fruit is used to make jelly and baking. Granadilla produces excellent desserts and fruit salads. The fruits are used to make natural flavors for yoghurts and various sauces.
Granadilla's exotic fruit is the fruit of the passionflower tree creeper belonging to the passionflower family. This plant prefers to be located in sunny areas and is characterized by rapid growth. The large flowers of passiflora are so beautiful that many gardeners grow it exclusively for ornamental purposes. In the natural environment, you can meet her in Mexico and to Bolivia, they also grow it in Jamaica, Haiti, Hawaii.
Fruits of a ribbon-like liana have an ovoid shape and various color (from yellow to red) dense and slippery skin. The maturity of the fetus can be judged by the smoothness of the surface and the appearance of dark spots on it. The jelly-like pulp with black unsteady edible pits has a sweet-sour taste, resembling gooseberries.
Photo: Granadilla Fruit
What can be dangerous granadilla
Granadilla is not recommended only to people with its individual intolerance.
Islands of the Mediterranean
Islands of the Atlantic Ocean
Indian Ocean Islands
IslandsSouth China Sea
Granadilla fruit: properties
Calorie content: 46 kcal.
The energy value of the product Fruit Granadilla:
Protein: 0.5 g
Fat: 0.1 g
Carbohydrates: 8 g.
Granadilla Fruit - A plant of the family Passion flowers. You can find it not only in the domesticated, but also in the wild in the territory of Central Mexico and up to Bolivia. In addition, granadilla is grown in Hawaii, Haiti, Jamaica. Fruits of an egg-shaped form, on average, reach a diameter of about 7 cm. Sufficiently hard slippery skin can be yellow, orange and red. Ripe fruit is covered with small specks of black size. Under the peel is a transparent pulp, inside which there are black seeds of small size (see photo). Interestingly, they are scattered throughout the pulp, and it is very difficult to separate them from it. Since the seeds are soft and edible, removing them is not necessary. The middle of the fruit structure is similar to jelly. Granadilla fruit has a sweet-watery taste that is somewhat similar to gooseberry.
Benefits of Granadilla and Treatment
The use of granadilla fruit causes the presence of vitamins and minerals. It is recommended to include these fruits in the diet with asthma and anemia. With regular use of this fruit, you can get rid of insomnia and headaches. It is proved that granadilla promotes renewal and strengthening of the whole organism.
Restrictions on the use
- fruit should not be eaten with a weak gastrointestinal tract and a tendency to diarrhea
- when used in large quantities, granadilla can have laxative or diuretic action
- Granadilla is not recommended to be included in the diet children under three years old
Overpowered granadilla has a pronounced laxative effect. Often, the symptoms of an allergic reaction can be triggered by drugs applied to the fruit. As we have already written above, the product is perishable, which means that for its delivery to other countries it is treated with special compounds that prolong its freshness. Do not taste the peel, even after washing the fruit well. If after use you feel not comfortable, then it is better to refrain from further “feasting”.
Interesting facts about granadilla
- The plant has been known since the mid-sixteenth century, but its fruits were actively used only at the end of the nineteenth century.
- The plant is very popular as a indoor flower and is actively used for vertical gardening and decorating verandas. Passion flower is often planted near hedges and on open balconies, and its flowers are of great decorative value.
- Widely known soothingly means Novo-Passit contains passiflora extract.
- Plants of this family number over five hundred species, but only some of them bear edible fruits.
- Locals use the leaves as tea leaves and even smoking tobacco,
The rind of the fruit is source of pectinbased on which some dessert dishes are made, including marmalade and jam. The plant was widely spread in folk medicine, the locals use decoctions from the leaves and roots of passionflower as anthelmintic, and also as a medicine for the treatment of epilepsy and digestive disorders. Granadilla seeds is source of valuable oil, and their consumption can cause a sedative effect and act like sleeping pills.
What taste does this fruit have?
If you visually compare granadilla and its flesh with the usual fruits, then it most of all resembles something melon, only it is several times smaller in size. But if we talk about the taste sensations, the fruit, due to its soft and sour pulp, is similar to the overripe gooseberry growing in our regions. Only in the case of granadilla, the taste is sweetish with a slight sourness.
It is due to the patient content in the fruit of granadilla vitamins, in particular, vitamin C and other beneficial trace elements, it has become so popular among domestic consumers.
How to eat a granadilla
Sweet granadilla is used in raw. To start tasting, it is enough to cut the fruit into two halves - it is most convenient to eat away the pulp with a teaspoon. It is used together with small bones that are inside the pulp. It should be remembered that the skin of the fruit in the food does not go.
In addition, this fruit is very often added to other dishes. So, for example, granadilla is often used as an additional component for the preparation of juices, cocktails, salads, mousses, sauces, pies and even jams.
Does the fruit have beneficial properties?
If we talk about the beneficial properties with which Granadilla has, then the following must be noted:
- eating fruits stimulates the growth of nails and also improves hair growth,
- due to the inclusion in the diet of this fruit, you can get rid of anemia in a short time,
- Granadilla has a laxative effect,
- Granadilla yellow helps get rid of insomnia and cope with migraines,
- due to the high content of vitamins and microelements in fruits, the use of fruit stimulates the strengthening of the immune system,
- vision improves and the optic nerve is stimulated,
- fruits of the plant contribute to the elimination of toxins from the body,
- the fruit will be very useful for those people who have been dieting for a long time. After all, it is a low-calorie, and along with this, a very useful product
- the essential oils that are made from this fruit have soothing effects,
- this fruit will be very useful for people who suffer asthma,
- Granadilla is also often included in the diet when it is necessary to improve the functioning of the heart and urinary system, since the fruit has the ability to remove excess fluid from the body.
As for the harmful properties, then this fruit does not have them. The only exception is personal intolerance, however, this process can develop literally on any other useful product.
What does the benefit of this fruit
The use of granadilla fruits is achieved through the nutrients and trace elements that are included in its composition.
- The high content of vitamin C makes it possible to replenish the reserves of ascorbic acid in the body, which, by the way, never accumulates in the body.
- Phosphorus is present - an essential element that strengthens bone tissue.
- There is potassium, which allows to improve the work of the heart, urinary and nervous system.
- Due to the presence in the composition of the fruits of sodium, you can quickly remove excess fluid from the body.
- And magnesium, which has a beneficial effect on improving the activity of nerve roots and muscle fibers.
In addition, the composition of the fruit also includes other equally useful elements and vitamins that are necessary for each person to maintain the body in good shape.
What vitamins are part of this fruit
If you take at the rate of 100 g of granadilla, the fruit includes the following vitamins:
- about 0.13 mg riboflavin,
- about 0.014 mg of folic acid,
- about 0.1 mg of pyridoxine,
- about 30 mg of vitamin C,
- about 1.5 mg of vitamin PP,
- and about 7.6 mg of choline.
It should be noted that the fruit is widely used not only in cooking, but also in medicine and cosmetology.
Some facts about Granadilla
It must be said that granadilla has more than two dozen different species: giant, yellow, purple, banana, passion fruit, etc. However, in our country only five types of fruit are popular.
In addition, this plant, in recent years, it is customary to use as a decorative element - the creepers of this unique plant fit perfectly as an element of gardening in the plots. Due to its density and rapid expandability, you can create a "living" impassable wall on your site.
Vine leaves can also be used as brewing - just dry them and use them for their intended purpose. Moreover, dried granadilla leaves are often used as a twist for cigarettes.
In conclusion, I would like to say that this unique, and most importantly, useful fruit is suitable not only for lovers of the exotic, but also for people who care about their health.