Carrots - a common, unpretentious and very useful culture, which is in the area of each gardener. However, planting and growing carrots has its own characteristics, given that you can significantly increase the quantity and quality of the crop.
What affects the germination
To the sowing period did not bring unnecessary unrest, the gardener must carefully monitor the conditions of germination of seeds and carry out some agrotechnical measures. On germination directly affect:
- seed quality
- ambient temperature and humidity
- the quality of the soil taken for germination,
- sowing depth
With proper storage (in a cool and dry place), seeds remain viable for 2-3 years. But even if they were stored correctly, one should not expect that all the seeds will germinate. On average, their germination ranges from 45 to 70 percent. At the same time, it is necessary to take into account how quickly they sprout - for carrots this is about 10 days.
Type of soil for growing
Since young sprouts take most of the substances necessary for their growth from the land in which they are planted, certain requirements are imposed on it.
The soil should be:
- fertile - it is necessary to fertilize it with compost and ash,
- friable and light enough that the sprouts could make their way through it, and the roots grew even and beautiful,
- have a neutral reaction (the root crop does not tolerate an acidic environment),
- not be toxic (for example, due to ultra-high doses of pesticides or fertilizers).
Terms of planting carrots: choosing the right conditions for planting different varieties
Some gardeners sow carrots for the winter, and the crop is harvested about two weeks earlier. This should be done in late autumn to avoid seed germination. However, if the winter is severe enough, the seeds may freeze and not rise.
When planting carrots in the spring, its variety must be considered: it can be early (early), middle and late. In open ground planting material is sown depending on the time of maturation.
Preparation of planting material
In order for the plants not to hurt and be less susceptible to attack by pests, it is recommended to soak the seeds in a weak potassium permanganate solution (potassium permanganate). When sowing carrots, a serious problem is that its seeds are very small, and it is difficult to spread them evenly in a bed. In case of uneven application later, it will be necessary to thin the shoots to get a beautiful and bountiful harvest. There are more than a dozen ways to sow carrots, for example:
- they mix the seeds with dry river sand (1-2 tablespoons of seeds for 7 liters of sand) and pour them into beds, covered with a layer of soil from above,
- sowing "on the ribbon": ribbons with applied seeds are on sale, but you can make them yourself by gluing the seeds to paper tape with paste. The finished tape is laid on the bed and sprinkled with earth,
- Dried seeds: a very convenient, though not cheap, method. Each seed is in a separate pea, which contains all the substances and microelements necessary for its growth,
- You can make a sparse paste with the addition of complex fertilizers, mix it with seeds and apply to the furrow using a pastry syringe or plastic bottle with a hole in the lid.
Soil and climatic conditions greatly affect farming in each region. Based on these conditions, breeders conduct tests and find out which carrot varieties are most suitable for each region.
The climate of the Moscow region is characterized by mild snowy winters and not too hot summers with moderate precipitation. Both early and late carrot varieties will grow well here.
The following varieties are suitable for cultivation in this region:
- their early species: Incomparable, Callisto F1, Nantes 4,
- medium species: Vitamin 6, Losinoostrovsky13, Moscow special, Shantane 2461,
- of the late species: the Queen of Autumn,
- for late autumn sowing: Russian giant, Samson, hybrid Olympian.
For the harsh conditions of Siberia and the Urals, mid-season carrot varieties are best suited. Early and late varieties are better not to grow. The early ones will give a small crop, and the later ones will not have time to gain sugar content and mature.
The best varieties for this region are Altai shortened, Moscow winter, Shantane 2461, Vitaminnaya 6, Losinoostrovskaya13, Laguna, Bangor, Canada, Zabava, Viking, Darina.
Central Russia is the best natural complex, with a loose fertile soil and a mild, humid climate for growing this vegetable. Early varieties such as Tushon, Nandrin F1, middle ripening - Moscow winter, Incomparable, Samson, late ripening - Canada F1, Flaccoro are very popular.
Important! To get a good harvest of sweet carrots, you need to buy zoned varieties of this vegetable.
Place to sow
Open, sunny. Well, if before the carrot in the selected area were grown cucumbers, tomatoes, beans or peas.
Medium loamy or sandy loam with a neutral reaction (pH - 6-7). The soil for the carrot beds is prepared in autumn. They dig it up, remove the weed roots and apply fertilizer (compost, humus, ash). If the soil has an acidic composition, then in the autumn preparation make lime or chalk. By spring, they evenly soak the soil layer. If the soil is clay, then a mixture of sand and peat is introduced into it in equal parts.
Many varieties of carrots differ in the shape and color of the fruit, the period of growth and ripening, sugar content, duration of preservation. How to sow carrots to quickly rose?
In terms of ripening carrots are classified:
- Early ripening varieties - up to 90 days from the time of sowing. They are grown to get the first vitamins at the end of June, but they are not suitable for canning and winter maturation,
- Mid-season varieties - ripen over a hundred days. Suitable for regions with a short period of active plant growth,
- Late varieties are grown in regions with a favorable climate. The ripening period is up to 4-5 months. These are leaders in sugar content, density and shelf life.
Additional Information. Only mid-season carrot varieties can be grown as large as possible. The weight of one root can reach up to 200 grams.
Seeds of carrots have a rough dense shell, so you can wait for up to 30 days. For the seeds to start growing faster, experienced gardeners soak them before sowing:
- Hot shower for carrot seeds. Place the seeds in a piece of clean material, then fold the material and tie it so that the seeds do not crumble during the procedure. Next, no more than a minute to keep the package under a hot fifty-degree shower. Such procedures do two days in a row three times. After the hot procedure, the bag is left on a plate with water. Water a little so that the seeds do not dry out. After the sixth procedure, the seeds swell. They must be removed from the bag and dried. They are ready to plant,
- “Carrots in a bag” is another popular way to quickly germinate hard carrot seeds. At the very beginning of spring, when the sun begins to burn, and the earth appeared from under the thawing snowdrifts, it is necessary to place a bag of carrot seeds in a hole in the ground. The depth of the pit - bayonet spade. Plan to place in 1.5-2 weeks to get the seeds that are already beginning to germinate. They are mixed with dry clean sand to sow. Then the bed is harrowed and covered with foil. Shoots carrots appear in a week. It is necessary to remove the film in time so that the tender sprouts do not stretch out,
- Soaking carrot seeds in vodka softens the coarse shell and accelerates the appearance of sprouts. Enough for stratification for half an hour soak a bag of seeds in an alcohol solution, so that they swell. Next, planting material is washed with water at room temperature and seeded,
- Soaking seeds in preparations to stimulate growth (Kresacin, Emistim, Epin, Agat 25k) speeds up their germination several times and significantly reduces the period from sowing to harvesting. Soak planting material must be immediately before sowing, acting, according to the manufacturer's instructions. After the soaking procedure, the seeds must be dried. Wet seeds stick together in a clump and it is inconvenient to sow them evenly.
Sowing time - spring, summer, autumn.
On a note. Autumn sowing provides earlier germination of carrot seeds. The crop ripens almost a month earlier than during spring sowing, but it cannot be left for winter storage.
Spring sowing in warm regions begins in March or April, and in colder regions - at a soil temperature of at least +8 degrees. In spring, when sowing early varieties of carrots, it is important to have time to use the soil moisture and seasonal rain so that the seeds have time to germinate. Carrots for storage and processing begin to plant in mid-April.
Early or hybrid varieties can be sown in the south in June or July, but additional watering is required for their growth and maturation.
A bed is broken, proceeding from the following rules:
- between the rows - 20-30 cm
- groove depth - 2 cm,
- distance between seeds - 3 cm.
Grooves for sowing shed light solution of manganese. After that, the seeds are sealed with sand or peat and compacted to ensure good adhesion to the ground. The landing site is watered abundantly again, and then, in order to accelerate the germination of carrot seeds, cover with a film. Under the shelter, the desired microclimate is created, and shoots appear within 5-7 days.
Carrot seeds are small, so experienced gardeners use the following sowing methods:
- Sowing with sand. The seeds are mixed with dry clean sand and evenly scattered across the bed,
- Sowing on tape. With the help of paste on paper tape put carrot seeds. The method is time-consuming, but it greatly facilitates the care of carrot seedlings,
- Sowing with paste. You can cook a paste and stir the seeds in it. The liquid mixture of seeds and paste is evenly distributed in the furrow. When the seeds germinate, they will not need to thin out,
- Sowing granulated seeds. The stores sell seeds, covered with a hard shell of microelements and growth stimulants. For convenience, the granule is painted in a bright color so that the seed is not lost in the fall. It is very convenient when sowing, especially such small seeds as carrot, to see the planting pattern.
During the autumn soil preparation for beds with carrots, organic fertilizers are applied (compost, humus, ash).
In the spring, mineral fertilizers rich in potassium and calcium are introduced in three stages. The first time - during sowing, the second time - after the first thinning. The third time fertilized late varieties of carrots three weeks after the second thinning.
Manure for better growth
Important! Fertilizer is better not to report than to make a surplus. Over-saturation with nitrogen, for example, will affect the taste of the root crop.
Carrots will grow large, even and sweet, if you carry out regular watering the entire period of growth and maturation. The lack of moisture will affect the taste of carrots. Excess water will lead to abundant growth of tops. Carrots will not be able to form large and smooth fruits. Watering is carried out from the time of sowing and until mid-August, when the roots are already formed, and they will only have to ripen in the garden. Irrigation intensity, depending on precipitation, is 1.5-2 times a week.
Water until August
With a constant daytime temperature of + 15-20 degrees shoots appear within two weeks. The first thinning is carried out when a pair of true leaves has formed. Between the seedlings leave 2-3 cm. The second time the carrot is thinned a month later, when young root vegetables of 1.5-2 cm in thickness were born. Between shoots leave already 5-6 cm.
A sweet and smooth carrot will not grow in the garden without the right care, hard work and knowledge.
Factors affecting fast germination
Carrots are not a demanding crop, however, there are factors that can affect germination.
The most significant are:
- Seed sowing date.
- Sowing depth.
- Seeding rates.
- The quality of seed.
- Pre-treatment of seeds.
- Soil condition
On average, the period of appearance of the first shoots with a fairly well warmed earth (8 degrees) is about two weeks. Germination time depends on the temperature, so most often the seeds of this plant are planted from the second half of April to mid-May. Other sowing periods are allowed, however, the lower the temperature, the longer it will take to wait for the first shoots. In cool weather, the germination process can take up to 3-4 weeks.
The time of emergence of shoots can be significantly reduced; some methods used by experienced gardeners can shorten this period almost twice - to 7–10 days. By choosing a good place for a future bed, preparing the soil and processing the seeds, you can help the plants to take root faster and form large, even fruits.
Make seed treatment
In comparison with other popular vegetable crops, carrot seeds are of low germination. Usually, 60–80% of the seeds germinate. This parameter depends on the freshness of the seed - the seeds are the most germinating, not more than 2 years from the moment they were harvested.
Methods by which seeds can be prepared for planting in open ground:
- Stimulating solutions.
- Sprouting seeds in aerated water.
- The use of plant growth stimulants.
Simple tools that can help accelerate crop growth are available to any vegetable grower:
- Immersion in hot water for 30–40 minutes. The water temperature should be from 45 to 55 degrees.
- Steam treatment. Under the influence of steam for several hours, the seed growth rate accelerates by a third.
- Soaking in vodka before landing. Germination can be accelerated by removing the essential oils in the seed coat. Alcohol will help remove the protective film, the exposure time of this method - 10-15 minutes.
Correctly pick up the landing time
Sowing seeds in the open ground can be three times per season - in spring, summer and autumn (before winter).
- The carrots sown in autumn will be more resistant to diseases and pests, and will also allow you to get an early harvest.
- Early spring is a good time for planting root crops in the soil prepared from autumn. Such root vegetables are perfect for consumption during the season.
- If the goal is to grow carrots suitable for long-term storage, it is better to plant it in late spring or summer.
The most common spring planting. This method is most popular among gardeners.
Choosing the time of planting, focus primarily on the temperature of the soil and air. The soil should have time to warm up, and the air temperature should not fall below 8 degrees Celsius.
As a rule, the optimal period falls on the period from April 20 to May 5. Summer is best to plant in late June, and in winter - in early November, a week before frost.
Preparation of beds
Carrots prefer loose, sandy soils which contain a large amount of humus. In clayey heavy soils, the plant develops more slowly and is less productive. It is important to take into account the fact that it grew in the garden to carrots. The best predecessors for these roots are potatoes, cucumbers and onions.
The soil for the beds are prepared in the spring. She digs up and make organic fertilizer. Best for these purposes is suitable humus. If the soil is acidic - add ash or chalk.
A week before planting, the prepared bed is loosened, leveled with a rake and mineral fertilizers, urea and superphosphates, are applied.
Carrots are cold-resistant plants, their growth begins at + 5 degrees. However, at this temperature, the growth is slow, seed germination takes up to 4 weeks. As the temperature rises to +20 degrees, the growth accelerates significantly, and the period of emergence of shoots is reduced to 8-10 days. The optimum temperature for the formation of the root is 22-25 degrees.
For normal growth carrots need constant hydration. Soil moisture for best plant development should be 70–80%. With a lack of moisture fruits become woody and can get a bitter taste. With excessive moisture, the carrot grows from the inside and cracks.
In addition to temperature and humidity, the lighting of crops plays a huge role. Carrots are a plant of a long day, so the formation of a bountiful harvest is possible only with good lighting.
Competent landing scheme
When sowing on a bed, stripes of 1-2 centimeters deep are formed. The depth of the furrows depends on the density of the earth - the denser the soil, the smaller the depth of planting. The distance between such grooves should be about 15 cm.
Seeds are trying to spread at a distance of 2 cm, covered with earth and slightly compacted palm.
Organization of proper care
The most important in the cultivation are frequent weeding and loosening. It is necessary to loosen the ground after each watering or rain, so that a dense crust does not form on the bed surface. If this is not done, air will flow to the roots in a smaller volume, and the plant will slow down growth. Weeding sowing is necessary in a timely manner - weeds can easily stifle carrot seedlings, as well as interfere with the normal growth of the root.
Another important point is thinning. Между растениями должно быть расстояние не менее трех сантиметров. Это даст возможность корнеплодам набрать максимальный вес.
Подкормки проводят 2–3 раза за вегетационный период. The first dressing is carried out with mineral fertilizers - urea, superphosphates and potassium salt. A month later, the carrots are fertilized with a solution of mullein with the addition of wood ash.
To speed up the germination process after sowing can be as follows:
- Cover the bed with a layer of plastic film. This will retain the heat and moisture needed for the seeds.
- Water the crops with warm water every 2-3 days.
- Loosen the soil regularly, the seeds are much easier to break through the light, air-saturated soil.
Thus, in order to accelerate the growth of carrots and get a bountiful harvest, it is necessary to carry out a set of measures. Pre-sowing seed treatment, proper preparation of the soil and quality care for the crops will help to get tasty and beautiful root crops.
Planting carrots seeds in open ground without subsequent thinning
I told you that there are several ways of such a landing, but I did not cite examples. Here, now corrected. For example, carrots are planted with kissel - quite an interesting way. Another option is planting on toilet paper, a kind of alternative to those seed tapes sold in stores. There is an even more exotic way to plant carrots - in the winter. But, I give this option to you rather for acquaintance, than for practical application at the moment. Although you can try it in the fall. Now it's spring and we start planting carrots.
How to prepare the seeds?
We will prepare them in advance, 10-12 days from the moment when they are to be planted in the ground. To do this, pour the carrot seeds out of the packaging bag in a rag, and we tie this rag to make a bundle with seeds. Strongly tighten it does not need. Seeds in this nodule should lie loose. Now, we take a shovel, dig a small hole (on the bayonet in depth) and place our little bundle with seeds there. The earth will need to moisten a little. During these 10-12 days, the essential oils that are present in the seeds will come out of them. And, because it is because of these oils, the seeds often very badly germinate.
It will take a specified time, remove our bundle from the ground and extract seeds from it. What do we get? Seeds are already well swollen, become much larger, and some of them even germinated. We turn out the knot, and we shift the seeds into a small bowl, where we powder them with ordinary starch. As a result, our seeds will not be so sticky, that is, they will not stick to the fingers. Plus, from the starch, they will become white, and will stand out well on the ground when they are sown.
How to plant?
The process of landing itself is very simple. The seeds themselves will make it easier for us, because they swelled a little, and are no longer as small as they were originally. And that means it will be more convenient to plant them. So, we make a groove, as usual, and carefully fold our seeds into it. At the same time, we immediately make the interval we need between them, which further eliminates the need for a thinning of the seedlings. Yes, do not forget to sprinkle them with earth or sand.
Such carrots sprout quickly, in 3-5 days, and it will come out without watering. Do not water the groove after seeding. Otherwise, it will be covered with a dense crust, and the seeds will not be able to make their way so quickly through such a land.
If you want, before planting, such seeds from the bundle, place in hot water (not more than 50 degrees). Let them stay there for cooling. Next, we get them out of the water, dry a little, and still sow.
And look at these 2 videos. In the first, you will be shown this method of landing.
And, here will demonstrate another option of planting carrots, so that later it does not thin out. We look.
What is the best way to plant carrots
The correct choice of neighbors in the garden helps to fight pests, enrich the mineral composition of the soil, save space. You can do a joint planting of carrots, radishes and onions. The radish ripens earlier, and the place for the further growth of the carrot is cleared, and the onion is afraid of the carrot fly, and the pest will not come to such a bed. In turn, the carrot will protect the onion from the onion fly. Salad, peas and tomato also do not interfere with it. But dill and other umbrella better to avoid. Carrots are one of those crops, which requires a lot of effort during sowing and subsequent care. We hope our tips will help you facilitate the care of such a useful and tasty root vegetable.
There are early, late and middle varieties of carrots. They differ from each other in different ripening terms. On this depends the time when you can plant this vegetable.
- Early carrot varieties you need to plant in late April - early May, so that the temperature outside is not lower than three degrees Celsius. This carrot variety ripens in the summer.
- Medium and late varieties can be planted at about the same time, which falls in May and early June. This type of carrot can be stored for a long time.
Some gardeners practice the experience of planting seeds in late autumn (late October - early November). In this case, the harvest will begin two weeks earlier. With this method of planting the main condition is the absence of positive temperatures, otherwise the seeds can germinate, and not too strong frost in winter, as they can simply freeze. If a plant carrots closer to winter, it is important to remember that it must be properly covered. So, early ripening varieties will allow you to get a bunch of carrots, while middle and late ones will allow you to save the roots as long as possible.
Carrots very grows poorly on loamy ground. Therefore, it is better to plant it in a lightweight soil, preferably mixed with sand. The soil should not be too hard, otherwise the seeds will be difficult to climb. Under a bed it is impossible to bring manure. This is bad for the development of the root. It will grow weak and will not be stored for a long time.
First, in order to achieve a good harvest, it is necessary to give preference to high-quality, proven seeds. Secondly, before planting, they must be processed. There are various methods of seed treatment:
- Dry carrot seeds need pour into fabric and tie. Ten days before you plant them, you must place the bag in the cold soil in the garden to a depth of 25-30cm. On the day of planting they need to get, dry well and plant. Seeds become large, they are fairly easy to plant. Shoots appear on the fifth day.
- Sparging is the effect of oxygen. on carrot seeds during the day. To do this, immerse the seeds in a container with warm water and with the help of special devices supply oxygen. After that, wrap the seed in a cloth and place it in the fridge on the middle shelf for up to five days. Then we also dry and plant well.
- Drazhirovanie - it is the coating of the seed nutrient sheath. From one glass of liquid mullein it is necessary to prepare a soil-nutrient mixture. We take one glass of powdered peat and humus, mix them. Then in a liter jar add one teaspoon of seeds, we also send 1-2 tablespoons of the mixture and one tablespoon of liquid mullein. The jar should be covered with a lid and well shaken. Add the mixture and the mullein and mix again. After the seeds are covered with a nutrient shell, they must be poured and dried.
- At home, the easiest way to soak the seeds in the weak potassium permanganate solution (manganese). This will protect the roots from pests and diseases.
Preparation of beds
The most optimal parameters of the sowing area: a meter in width and five meters in length. With the help of a spade handle, you need to make furrows. Their width is approximately 6 cm, and the distance between the furrows is 20 cm. It is in these furrows that seeds are sown. Before sowing carrots, they can be shed with a weak solution of potassium permanganate, in order to avoid diseases and to protect them from pests.
The small size of the seeds makes sowing difficult. They need plant at regular intervals and avoid thicknesses. As if to sow carrots too thickly and not to thin out, root crops will be small. The optimal distance is between the rows of 15-20 cm, and between the seeds - 4-5 cm. There are also several ways of planting seeds:
- tape method
- receiving mixed planting seeds with sand,
- seeds in granules.
Tape with seeds can be purchased or made by hand. For the preparation will need a roll of toilet paper, a paste of flour and water and a needle. The bottom line is that the seed on the tape is located at the most appropriate distance from each other. Planting this way is easy. Place the ribbon in a prepared furrow and sprinkle with earth. Done!
For the second method, mix the carrot seeds with the seeds of quickly ripening plants, such as radish or spinach. Two cultures are mixed together and add river sand. It will be convenient to sow with a straight strip. Radish will rise earlier and will ripen for about a month. It will be eaten, and well-thinned carrot rows will remain.
Seeds in granules - These are pre-prepared seeds that are in a special shell that makes the planting process comfortable. The fact is that the granules are rather large, and it is convenient to place them at the right distance from each other. Using this method, it is necessary to shed the grooves well before and after landing. Water soaks the shell. It is recommended to plant the seeds in zigzag granules. They are good to plant in the winter: so the shell will disintegrate until spring, and there will be no need to water the seeds.
Acceleration of emergence
Any summer resident when planting seeds wants them to ascend as quickly as possible. There are various methods that accelerate seed germination. For example, the germination method is well-spread, in which you need to cover the garden with polyethylene. At the same time between him and the soil is an air gap measuring about 12 centimeters. The term of use of the film - one week.
The choice of "neighbors"
A rich harvest of vegetables also depends on the correct selection of neighboring plants in your garden. Carrots can grow well with different cultures. Most successful "neighbors" are considered onions, radishes, garlic, tomatoes, lettuce and peas. It is undesirable to plant dill and anise next to carrots. You should also remember about the predecessors, that is, those crops that were planted on the site a year before planting carrots. These include tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, garlic, onions and potatoes. After parsley, it is undesirable to plant carrots, as there are pests in the soil that are dangerous for the roots.
To get a big harvest of carrots, it is desirable to follow these rules in a complex, and then you can easily achieve the desired result.
The time of emergence
Under favorable conditions, sprouts may appear on the soil surface 14 days after the carrot seeds have been planted. In cold weather, the roots emerge after 3-4 weeks. During this time, the bed is overgrown with weeds, which directly affects the germination.
The long period of germination is explained by the fact that the root rod first grows, and only then the shoot begins to make its way to the surface. Because of this feature, carrots are recommended to be watered a week after emergence, so that the roots in search of moisture go deeper into the soil.
Ways to accelerate seed germination
In order to harvest the roots did not take long to wait, you can use proven techniques:
- The bed must be prepared in the fall. The soil is cleared of roots, stones and chips. If the root in the process of growth will meet a barrier, it will twist. Carrots do not like lime and manure, so adding organic matter is better to do in the fall, and in the spring to make mineral supplements containing phosphorus and potassium. It is necessary to monitor the nitrogen content, because when it is abundant, the plant spends the main forces on the growth of foliage. It is not necessary to fertilize during the summer.
- Seeds are sown in the grooves, the distance between them is 5-7 centimeters. The depth on clay soils is about 1.5 cm, on loose, sandy - 2.5-3 cm. The surface of the recesses should be slightly compacted and moistened with warm water. To scare pests, grooves watered with a usual solution of potassium permanganate.
- The emergence of sprouts can be accelerated neighborhood with parsley, calendula, marigold. Other root vegetables can not be placed next to the carrot.
- Planting material does not need to be sown too thick, so as not to damage the roots during thinning. Extra shoots are removed during the first week after germination. So it will be easier for plants to recover.
- To speed up the germination of carrot seeds, the bed can be covered with agrofibre. It is better to water from a watering can with a strainer so that the strong jet does not drive the seeds deep into the ground.
In carrot seeds contain a high concentration of essential oils. They create a protective shell that prevents the penetration of moisture inside. If you sow dry seeds, this process can last for 20 days or more, and daily watering is obligatory.
To make the carrot grow faster, you can soak the seed a few days before planting. To remove the oil film, the seeds are washed in warm water, poured into a bag of cotton and soaked for 2-3 days. Water is replaced with fresh every 3-4 hours. Seeds after spring soaking are dried on paper.
If the site has to often deal with pests and diseases, you can harden the planting material in the refrigerator. To do this, the bag is washed in running water, wring out and put in the refrigerator for 5 days. Care must be taken to keep the fabric moist. After that, the seeds are dried so that they do not stick together.
One of the most effective ways to get a harvest a week earlier is considered soaking with simultaneous air supply. If the carrot should go faster, it is necessary to carry out the procedure yourself, using a car pump or aquarium compressor:
- the container is filled with water at room temperature, the device is installed so that the air passes to the very bottom,
- add liquid fertilizer,
- the duration of the bubbling is 18-24 hours, but if the shell began to burst, the seeds should be removed immediately,
- planting material is dried and sown in moderately moist soil.
Sprouting in a wet environment
To avoid disappointment, it is necessary for 1-2 months before planting to ensure seed germination. To do this, they are soaked for 2-3 days in warm water and sown in a small container with earth. A good indicator is about 80% of seedlings. When rejecting more than 50%, it is better to replace the seeds or take more planting material than usual, and then thin out if necessary.
To be sure of a good harvest, you need to know how to sprout carrots faster. After hardening, the seeds are laid out on wet matter, covered with a layer of cloth on top. It is not recommended to use gauze, sprouts can get tangled in it. To prevent the liquid from evaporating completely, it is necessary to spray the bundle from the spray bottle. You can cover the fabric with regular polyethylene and periodically ventilate.
At a temperature of about 20 degrees in a few days the seeds will swell, and a little later sprouts will seem. Before planting, all germinated seeds emerge already for 5-7 days.
Agrotechnical techniques to accelerate the emergence of seedlings
In order for plants not to suffer from diseases and attacks of pests, it is recommended to soak the seeds in a weak solution of manganese.
When it comes time to plant in advance the germinated seeds of carrots, problems may arise with the uniformity of their distribution. In this case, some areas will have to thin out, while others will remain empty. To avoid this, planting material is mixed with crumbly river sand, poured into beds and covered with a layer of soil. You can also purchase paper tapes with attached seeds or make them yourself, using a paste as a fixing agent.
Preparatory work with the soil
First you need to carefully take care of the preparation of the land. Carrots grow poorly enough on loamy and heavy soil. For this reason, under this culture is required to take the beds with lightweight soils. It will be good if the soil is mixed with not very large amounts of clean sand. If the soil is too hard and trampled down, the seeds will simply not be able to germinate normally, and the seedlings themselves will be difficult to develop and produce the right root crop.
It is strongly forbidden to make manure under the bed with carrots. This only adversely affects the development of the plant - the root crop grows weakened and is poorly stored in the future. Due to the timely and proper preparation of the land, it is possible to eliminate the occurrence of problems with the cultivation of carrots in the future.
The soil in the garden with carrots should be loose
Selection of seed
It is necessary to sow not only properly prepared seeds, but also high-quality. You will need to purchase only proven seed. In this case, you should not save, because it will adversely affect your beds - germination will be slow, not plentiful.
Poor seeds will not be able to give the desired effect, so you have to forget about the good harvest of carrots.
In order not to be mistaken, it is necessary to sow seeds from a good supplier, a proven brand. Только в этом случае можно не беспокоиться об урожайности на грядках с морковью.
Семена понравившегося сорта моркови можно заготовить самостоятельно
Чтобы правильно прорастить семена моркови, надо внимательно отнестись к нескольким пунктам, которые помогают подготовить посевной материал. Proper seed treatment helps carrots to grow better, to produce a large amount of the crop. There are many ways of such processing.
The most effective that can be done in ordinary home conditions is soaking the seed in a weak solution of potassium permanganate. This method will protect the roots from attack by pests and diseases.
Gardeners prefer to sow seeds that are soaked in advance with the help of a modern growth stimulator. Your task is to plant properly and carefully prepared seed. So carrots will quickly germinate and bring a decent harvest.
For clarity, you can arrange the seeds on paper tape
Direct carrot planting
In the ground, the prepared seed should be placed in this way: the distance between the seeds is 1-1.5 cm. It is necessary to sprinkle over the planting with peat, but you can add pure sand.
Why do this? When the soil for planting is dense, seed germination becomes slow. To seedlings were abundant and fast, you just need to flush the ground.
Seed germination will be faster if after planting you water the flower beds. To speed up the process, a small amount of water will suffice.
Seeds need to be planted in loose soil and water them
Acceleration of seed germination
Every experienced and novice gardener wants the seeds to start growing as quickly as possible after planting. There are various methods that will help ensure the effective acceleration of germination of seeds prepared for planting. A common method is based on the use of ordinary polyethylene:
- Take a strong and high-quality film and cover it with the beds where you decided to sow carrots.
- It is possible to accelerate germination only in the case when you cover the future shoots with a film like this: a small air gap of 12 cm is formed between the polyethylene and the ground.
- Give the seeds some time to sprout normally.
- This method is used for one week. To get the desired effect, the film must be removed within one week after its direct use.
- If you do not remove the polyethylene after getting the right shoots, you can get an undesirable effect: the plant has not yet gained the necessary strength, so it easily perishes.
To get the desired effect in the preparation of seeds and soil, it is necessary to do everything in the complex. Pay attention to the quality of the soil, so in the whole garden you should choose the optimal bed, where there is the necessary soil, supplied with minerals and microelements for normal growth of vegetables.
Record How to plant carrots so that it quickly rose SeloMoe first appeared.