In a wide variety of varieties of pears you always want to choose a sweet one, with a high yield, unpretentious and easy to take care of.
This is August dew, which fell in love with gardeners and farmers. The following describes the variety, advantages and disadvantages, how to choose the seedling, plant and care.
Characteristics and description of the variety Avgustovskaya dew
August dew - summer pear variety. Germinates in the Central Black Earth region (since 2002). Obtained by crossing the variety Tenderness and Triumph Pakgam.
Variety bred S. P. Yakovlev at the All-Russian Research Institute of Genetics and Breeding of Fruit Plants named after I.V. Michurin.
The height of the tree reaches three meters. Harvest brings annually from 4 years of landing in the ground. The yield is high up to 200 kg / ha in the most fertile age.
The first harvest is about 15 kg from a single tree. It tolerates wintersthat are characteristic of germination areas.
Disease resistant. High ability to form shoots and kidney wake.
Characteristics of the tree structure:
- light gray bark color, smooth,
- lowered crown with an average density,
- straight branches. The location of the fruit on the long and short kolchatkah and spears,
- light brown, wide and curved shoots. A large number of small lentils,
- conical buds of medium size, slightly bent to the side,
- oblong ovate leaves with a wedge-shaped base of a dark green color. Average value. Serrations at the edges. Saber-shaped little stipules,
- petioles of medium thickness and length
- white flowers are saucer-shaped, small. Sepals are long, directed to the pedicel. Pistils long - above the anthers. In one inflorescence 7-10 flowers.
- the fruit is of medium size, weighing from 100 to 200 g. Pear-shaped, not ribbed,
- smooth skin with dots. Color in the period of maturity - green or greenish-yellow with a slight “blush” in a small area of the fruit,
- white and fine-grained flesh with a sour-sweet taste and delicate texture,
- the stem is curved, long and wide enough,
- the little funnel is conical
- small, closed cup,
- the saucer is small, slightly extended, has a ribbed shape,
- the core is large, bow-shaped,
- medium sized seeds, closed,
- keep well on the tree
- ripening period - mid-August - September,
- the period of storage and use is two weeks,
- table pear,
- the best pollinator is a variety in memory of Yakovlev.
Features and advantages:
- Winter hardiness and frost resistance.
- Not picky about droughts.
- High yield.
- Excellent presentation.
- A small percentage of cases of tree damage by diseases or pests.
- Fruits are easily processed into jam, jam and dried fruits. Good taste.
disadvantages: at large yields, heterogeneity of fruits occurs.
The benefits and harm of pears
The benefits of pears August dew great. It is useful for adults, children - does not cause allergies, discomfort in the intestine and has beneficial effects on the body.
Actively used in traditional medicine. when coughing, chills, inflammation of the urogenital system, stone disease. A good helper in the fight against fungus, dermatitis.
In addition, the pear contains:
- vitamin C (ascorbic acid) helps to strengthen the immune system and increase the elasticity of blood vessels,
- vitamin k - a source of calcium,
- vitamin b9 active participant in the process of blood formation,
- cellulose useful for the digestive tract, because it lowers cholesterol and normalizes the intestinal microflora. Fights constipation. Improves appetite
- sulfur helps strengthen hair and nails
- potassium performs the protective function of the heart and helps the recovery of cells. Warns the appearance of edema,
- cobalt supports the work of the thyroid gland, kidneys. Accumulates hemoglobin and helps the rapid absorption of iron.
It is worth noting that with a huge "set" of useful properties of pear it can still harm. This applies to the use of fruit with gastritis, colitis and ulcers.
The danger is unripe, hard fruit for children and people in age.
How to choose a sapling?
The choice of seedlings - the key to high yield. To pick the “right” sapling, must adhere to such rules:
- Variety Avgustovskaya dew take root and will yield only in an area with favorable climatic conditions (central and southern regions with black soil).
- Buy seedlings only in special nurseries to avoid deception and purchase of another variety or tree.
- It is worth paying attention to the roots of the sapling - fresh, not dry, not frozen. The longer (from 30 cm) and more branched root system, the greater the likelihood of a good survival of the seedling.
- If you cut the root, it should be white. The change in color indicates that the seedling is frozen or dried.
- Carefully examine the root. The presence of blistering indicates a disease (root cancer).
- The barrel is flat, not damaged.
- Seedling about a year or two.
Preparation for landing
In addition to the choice of seedlings, it is necessary to prepare the soil well to his landing - a pledge of survival.
Pre-fertilizer for the future planting site (type, amount of fertilizer depends on the soil). Pear Avgustovskaya dew has a small crown, so the distance between seedlings permissible 5 m.
Planted seedlings need autumn (early October) or spring (late April). Regardless of the season, the landing technology is the same:
- Prepare a pit. The pit is 1 m in diameter and 0.5 m deep. The roots should be located freely in it.
- Fill in fertilizers (humus, saltpeter, potassium).
- Spread the roots.
- Holding a sapling in a hole, cover it with soil so that the root collar disappears under the ground, ram it and pour it.
Rules for tree and fruit care
After the correct selection of a sapling, soil preparation and planting a young tree directly, care is important.
Tillage. Before watering, as necessary, weeds must be destroyed and the soil loosened.
Watering. About 5 times (in summer) per month (1 bucket - 1 tree). Watering should be slow, so that all the water is absorbed into the hole of the pear and “watered” the roots. In a drought, it is better to water in the early morning and evening for half a bucket at a time.
By autumn, reduce watering and then stop. Spring watering begin gradually. The volume of water is adjusted by rainfall and season.
Trimming. Every spring to remove extra vertical shoots at a level of 0.5 m from the ground. Pruning in the fall can lead to the death of the tree - slices may not have time to drag on to the first frost. This does not apply to damaged and dry branches.
You should not neglect cutting trees, because the size and sugar content of fruits depend on it.
Pear needs watering, feeding, pruning and preparing for winter
Top dressing. The August dew loves organic fertilizers - dung that contains all the substances needed by the tree. It is necessary to bring in no more than 2 kg of manure per 1 m2 of the tree edge.
Top dressing is better to do in spring (March-April), annually. In the fall, after leaf fall, you must apply nitrogen fertilizer or the same manure.
Preparing for the winter. In late autumn, the tree is treated with limestone solution. This will protect the bark from sunburn and pests loving the bark.
Harvesting falls in August-September, depending on weather conditions. The older the tree, the greater the yield.
Store pears no more than two weeks in a cool place and about three months in a cellar (in wooden boxes) or a refrigerator.
Diseases and pests. Methods of struggle
Despite the fact that the August dew is a fairly resistant variety to pests, it is necessary to carry out prevention every spring. For this, both chemical agents (fungicides, insecticides) and folk (herbal extracts) are suitable.
When wounds and cracks appear on the root with brown spots (black cancer) it is necessary to remove the affected leaves and bark, capturing 2 cm of healthy areas. Process copper sulphate.
Noticing the powdery spots on the leaves and flowers it is necessary to remove the affected areas and treat with Topaz. When watering use colloidal sulfur.
Fruit rot will remove and warns the drug Oxyh and the solution of the Borodian fluid 1%. Handle after flowering.
When insect pests will help solution of Nitrafen, Kinmiks, Spark, etc.
Augustow Dew pear subject to powdery mildew, fruit rot and black crayfish
“At last this year the tree bore the first fruits, the first two pears. August dew by reviews cool class, but ...! These two pears are big, beautiful, but the taste is ... green! Not matured, but in the yard after a week of October and frost. Slavka. "
“Pear Avgustovskaya dew is not quite a capricious variety of fruit tree. Thanks to its high yielding, precociousness and compactness of the tree, it can quickly gain respect. Compliance with the basic conditions of care will bring a rich harvest of delicious fruits. A pear takes root more easily than an apple tree. Very juicy. And the keeping quality is short for all almost ... Filipina. ”
“I grew up A. Rosa from a graft graft; there was such a purchase on the forum in the old years. Sumy, goofy narrow-leaved, Shepherdia, Robinia, near growing - all froze under the root, and she somehow came to fruiting and did not sneeze. Filiponka. "
“I once only wanted to plant the August dew, it was grown in our nursery. But then I talked to its director, he said that they refused her - not hardy in our conditions (east). lubov. "
“After the frosts that suddenly returned, the pear varieties were frozen in seedlings that allegedly have a high degree of winter hardiness: August dew, Gracia, Zimnyaya, Glazkova, Martian, Tenderness and Chizhevskaya. Aleksandr Kuznetsov."
With a large variety of pear varieties justified trust earned Augustus dew grade. And not for nothing, because he has a lot of advantages.
It is resistant to frost, pests, unpretentious care, marketability and excellent taste.
Description of the pear variety Avgustovskaya dew
August dew refers to undersized (plant height does not exceed three meters), however, intensively growing crops. It is a medium tree with a need of pollinating neighbors.
The August dew was obtained by crossing Triumph Pakgam and Tenderness. And, interestingly, the new species inherited from its parents only positive qualities: from the first, the August dew received a unique taste and high yield, from the second - resistance to diseases and frosts.
- The crown of the tree is slightly drooping, of medium thickness.
- The bark is smooth, gray tint.
- Buds of conical shape, very quickly awaken with the onset of spring.
- The shoots of this tree are curved, small, thick, have numerous lentils.
- The leaves are of medium size, oblong, shiny, dark green color.
- The flowers are white saucer-shaped, composed of 7-10 petals.
- Pear-shaped fruits, small (100-150 gr.), Do not have ribs. In the process of maturation, the color of pears changes from green to greenish-yellow. Ripe fruits may have numerous subcutaneous specks and blush. The skin, although dull, feels rather smooth to the touch. The flesh is fine-grained, white.
The variety has won its popularity, in many respects, due to the unique taste qualities - a sweet-sour, harmonious flavor, melting juicy structure and delicate aroma.
This table pear variety It is recommended to use both raw and processed (jam, jams, jams, compotes, dried fruits, etc.). The fruits of this tree are useful for both adults and children, because they have a beneficial effect on the body as a whole, contribute to increased immunity, do not cause allergies and feelings of discomfort.
And do you know that the pear is widely used in traditional medicine? It is used in the treatment of cough, urolithiasis, dermatitis, inflammatory processes of the urogenital system, fungus, as well as to maintain the functions of the cardiovascular system and strengthen the walls of blood vessels.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety Augustus Dew
Among the positive qualities of the variety are the following:
- Intensive growth
- compact crown, which makes it possible to grow a crop, even in small areas,
- consistently high yield
- resistance to many diseases and frost resistance,
- unpretentiousness to growing conditions and ease of care,
- high product quality - up to 90%.
- It requires regular pruning, otherwise the pears become small, and with a high yield there is ripening of fruits of different size,
- low self-fertility.
Choosing seedlings for planting
Quality and quantity of the future harvest depends largely on the choice of seedlings. There are several rules to follow when choosing a tree:
- Choose and purchase seedlings should be only in nurseries.
- Particular attention should be paid to the condition of the roots: they must be fresh (not frozen and not dry). Remember: plants with a long root with a well-developed root system take root better.
- Blooms of various forms present on the roots of a tree may indicate the presence of diseases.
- In the section, the spine should have a white color, if different, it means that the sapling has dried up or perished.
- The trunk of the plant should be smooth, without any damage.
Seedlings of 1-2 years of age with well developed roots and a strong trunk are best suited for planting.
Choosing a place for planting pears Avgustovskaya dew
Although trees of this variety are considered to be unpretentious, saplings best survive in certain favorable conditions - the southern and central regions on black-earth soils. The August dew prefers sunny, elevated and sheltered places. Not very well acclimatized and gives a low yield in lowland and over-wet areas. The best option is sandy and loamy soils. In the garden, seedlings can be planted on the southwest or west side.
Before planting pears, it is necessary to prepare the soil: it needs to be dug up and fertilized (potash fertilizers, compost, superphosphate). Be sure to ensure that the roots of the tree are not in contact with fertilizers. The August dew variety is self-fertile, but it has a low level of self-pollination; therefore, in order to increase crop yields, it is recommended to plant pollinators near these trees.
As a pollinator, it is better to use a small variety tree named after Yakovlev, which will significantly increase the yield.
The distance between the trees should be at least 3-4 meters. Experienced gardeners are advised to plant a pear in early October. Before the onset of winter cold, seedlings will have time to settle down. If landing is done in the spring, the best option would be the end of April.
Description of the landing process
When planting pears, the following procedure should be followed:
- Prepare a hole 0.5 m deep and 1 m in diameter.
- To make a fertilizer complex consisting of potassium sulfate (130-140 g), ammonium nitrate (70 g) and humus (2 buckets). The resulting mixture must be filled with 2/3 wells.
- Set the tree vertically in a hole, and at a distance of 20-25 cm from the trunk strengthen the stake in order to maintain the seedling.
- Sprinkle a young plant with earth, carefully tamping it. Ensure that the root collar remains on the soil surface.
- Attach the count to the seedling.
Care for pear varieties Avgustovskaya dew
Watering a young tree is necessary once a week at the rate of a bucket of water / 1 sapling. An adult pear is watered 1 time / 7-10 days, pouring 20 l of water on the plant. This amount must be divided by 2 times, for example, 10 l in the morning and evening. For this variety, you can use spray watering.
During the period of budding for the harvest of the next season (July, August) it is necessary to moisten the soil under the tree. At the end of summer, the plant is not watered in order to prevent the growth of young shoots, since they will not have time to get stronger before the onset of cold weather.
In the process of watering should also loosen the soil around the trunk and destroy the weeds.
In the spring, watering is resumed gradually.
The volume of water is adjusted depending on the amount of precipitation and the time of year.
Feeding the pears August dew
When growing pears on fertile soils fertilizer enough to make once / 2-3 years. If sand is predominant in the soil, the plant should be fed annually.
The following fertilization rules apply:
- In the spring period (the end of March and the beginning of April), 1-2 kg of cow manure are applied for each m2 of the tree trunk circle.
- During flowering, the tree must be fed with a solution of boric acid (0.1%), which is prepared at the rate of 10 grams. drug / 10 liters of water. It stimulates the formation of ovaries.
- In the autumn, after the foliage has subsided, they apply a complex fertilizer consisting of urea (15 g), ammonium nitrate (20 g) and superphosphate (50 g).This feeding contributes to the growth and normal development of the plant.
Care for all fruit trees, including for the Augustus dew pear, implies compulsory measures for pruning. Trees of this variety can survive the first pruning immediately after planting. The branches are removed at a height of about 50 cm. The best time for the event is the spring period, when you can remove the frost-damaged or sun-damaged, as well as very long or thickening branches. At the end of the procedure, all sections are treated with paint or garden pitch.
In autumn pruning, which is carried out from August to early October, the old, diseased and dry branches are removed, after which they are burned.
During pruning in any case can not be feeding nitrogen fertilizers. In this case, you must wait until the slices heal.
Reproduction of a variety of Augustus dew
Pears multiply by layering, cutting, grafting or seed. The latter method is usually used to produce new varieties and hybrids, as well as for stocks of cultivated and wild species. The simplest and most common method is reproduction by layering. Moreover, the fruiting of plants obtained by this method begins earlier than that of seedlings.
Reproduction by cuttings
Material for planting harvested in winter. To do this, choose a mature branch, whose age must be at least two years, and break it up, while maintaining the integrity of the bark. Ideally, the length of the cuttings is 15-20 cm. The places of breakage (cuttings do not unbend it) are wrapped with adhesive tape, tapered film or plaster and fixed to the support.
At the end of March, the retainer is removed, and the branch in the places of breaks is cut to obtain cuttings. The finished cuttings are placed in a 2-liter container (gardeners usually use a dark plastic bottle with a cut off neck), pour water to the level of 5-7 cm and add activated charcoal (2 tablets). In the resulting solution, lower the cuttings in lower sections and place the container on the window sill, where there is a lot of sun. 20-30 days later the roots will appear below.
As soon as their length reaches 5-7 cm, it is possible to plant in the open ground, initially protecting young plants of bright light. With appropriate care (watering, weeding, feeding) by the fall you can get good seedlings.
Reproduction by layering
The layering of fruit trees is obtained in the following way:
- A box whose walls are pre-laid with a film (to reduce evaporation of moisture), filled with earth and placed under the selected branch.
- After that, they bend and make cuts in the place of contact with the ground.
- Then the twig is pinned and put to the ground. To activate the process of rooting, the layers are pre-powdered or fed with a special liquid.
- The earth is covered with roofing material or film, and a layer of compost is poured on top.
The soil in the box should always be slightly moist.
The root system will be formed by the end of the season. However, at this time the young roots are still very weak, so you do not need to replant the layers in the first year. For the winter, the branch is warmed (for example, spruce branches), and the box is covered with snow. Layers are grown for two years, after which they are transplanted to a permanent place as an ordinary seedling.
Variety of pears August dew proved to be quite unpretentious and non-capricious plant. Due to such qualities as precocity, high yield and compactness, this fruit tree quickly gained popularity among gardeners. And following all the tips and recommendations for growing and caring for a pear will allow you to get a rich harvest of tasty and sweet fruits, which, moreover, are very useful.
Description of a grade of a pear August dew
This type of pear was developed in 2002 by the methods of crossing the variety Tenderness and Triumph Pakgam. Thanks to the fruitful work of scientists, the August Rosa combined all the most positive qualities.
Pear Avgustovskaya Dew is a stunted plant.
This is a summer variety that has high taste characteristics. The fruits have an elongated shape. Weigh fruits from 100 to 150 g. At first they are green, but over time they acquire a greenish-yellowish tint. Some specimens have a reddish flank.
The skin of the fruit is smooth. The flesh is snow-white, fine-grained and incredibly juicy. This variety is famous for its rich sweet-sour taste and melting structure. The tree grows up to a maximum of 3 m tall. The crown is not very thick, slightly drooping.
Selection of planting material
Not only the quantity of the crop, but also its quality depends on the right seedling. When buying a tree, you need to pay attention to the state of the root system. All roots must be fresh, without flaws and dry areas.
The longer the roots, the faster the tree will take root.
It is also necessary to carefully consider the trunk. In a healthy and high-quality seedling, it is even and of the same shade.
This type of pear prefers areas where there is no wind and drafts. An excellent option is nisin. As for the soil, it is best to plant in loamy or sandy soil. Before the procedure, the site will need to loosen and apply a small amount of superphosphate, compost and fertilizer with a high content of potassium.
Although the August Dew is a self-fertile variety, it is still recommended to plant a pollinator near it.
The best month for landing is the first week of October. But carry out this procedure also at the end of April.
Rules to follow when planting:
- The hole should be about 0.5 m deep and 1 m in diameter.
- Before planting on a seedling, it is necessary to remove the leaves, leaving a few pieces on each shoot.
- When spring planting is pruned shoots.
- A support should be installed near each tree.
- The root neck should be above the soil level.
- After planting, the soil around the seedling should be mulched.
- The distance between the specimens must be at least 2 m.
Putting the plant in a dimple, the roots must be carefully straightened. This will help the tree to quickly gain strength and increase growth.
Before each irrigation, the soil around the trunk is loosened and weeds are removed. The plant is irrigated about 5 times a month. Most often, the procedure is carried out only if there is a high temperature outside for a long time. With the arrival of autumn, the amount of watering is reduced, and renewed only with the onset of spring.
This variety prefers organic products. An excellent option is cow dung.
It is necessary to feed the trees in spring. Under each plant contribute from 1 to 2 kg of manure. During the formation of buds and flowering using a solution of boric acid. To prepare the mixture it is necessary to dilute 10 g of the product in 10 liters of pure water.
In early December, the pear is fertilized with saltpeter, manure or urea. It is also recommended to treat the barrel with limestone solution. This will save the plant from pests.
Sapling pruning rules
Only planted tree must be cut to 1/3. This will allow the young plant to form a crown much faster and bring the fruiting process closer.
In the first year, the trunk is cleared of branches below the 1st tier. With the onset of spring, it is reduced by 25 cm, and skeletal branches are cut from 5 to 7 cm. At the same time, it is important to ensure that the shoots of the upper tier are shorter than those below.
Rules for pruning an adult plant
An adult pear should be cut each year before sap flow begins. This often happens in March.
Do not prune the tree at the beginning or at the end of the fall.
All parallel and closely growing shoots are removed. Long branches are slightly trimmed. Also, those shoots that fall on the ground, even if they were harvested, are removed. As for young shoots, their maximum number on one tree should be within of the total number of crown. Places cut cut with garden pitch or crushed activated carbon.
Despite the fact that this variety is resistant to various diseases and pests, it is still recommended to carry out prevention each year. For this, you can use both special preparations that are sold in stores, and herbal teas.
With improper care, the tree can be affected by powdery mildew. If the leafy plates are covered with white bloom, then it is necessary to treat the twigs and crown with Topaz.
With fruit rot perfectly fights Oxy and Bordeaux mixture. These drugs need to process the tree before flowering.
If you follow all the rules of planting and caring for the plant, then abundant flowering and high-quality harvest is guaranteed. The August Dew will certainly please with juicy and very tasty fruits.
Choosing a place
Pear is a heat-loving plant, so it will grow well in a sunny area, protected from the wind. Groundwater should be approximately 1.5–2 m from the ground. Stagnant moisture pear does not stand. Suitable soil is loamy or sandy. Clay earth is not suitable, sandy - only when making abundant dressings.
Experienced gardeners consider the beginning of October to be the optimal time for planting. Before the winter cold, the tree will have enough time to settle down. If for some reason it was not possible to do it, the end of April will come up next year.
For planting you need to buy in the nursery 1 - or 2-year-old seedlings. When buying, check the condition of the roots and stem - they must be strong, not dry, well developed, without damage.
Stepwise landing process
- Dig a hole 1 m in diameter and 0.5 m deep.
- Mix fertilizer (70 g of ammonium nitrate, 130–140 g of potassium sulfate, 2 buckets of humus) to fill in 2/3 of the hole. Pear hole about 50 cm deep
- Put a seedling in a hole, holding it. The roots of the tree in the pit need to gently straighten
- To maintain a young tree, strengthen the stake at a distance of 20–25 cm from the trunk.
- To pour a sapling with soil, carefully tamping. The root neck should not be covered with earth. The ground around the trunk must be slightly tamped.
- Bind the count to the tree.
The August dew belongs to the self-bearing trees, but the harvest may increase several times if a pollinator is present in the garden. The best solution is to plant a pear seedling of the Pamyati Yakovlev variety. The distance between the fruit trees in the garden is 3-4 meters.
The distance between fruit trees in the garden - 3-4 m
Pear Care August dew
Watering a young pear needs weekly (1 bucket of water per tree). An adult plant is watered every 7–10 days with 20 liters of water (this amount should be “stretched” for a whole day, for example, a bucket of water in the morning and a bucket in the evening). For varieties suitable for watering with spraying. Be sure to moisturize in July and August - the period when the tree lays buds for the harvest next year. At the end of the summer, watering is stopped to slow down the growth of young shoots. They may not have enough time to get stronger before the first cold weather.
During irrigation, you need to loosen the tree trunk, destroying weeds.
An adult pear plant is watered once a week with 20 liters of water.
Video: the original way of watering fruit trees
If there is a lot of sand in the soil, then fertilizing is carried out every year, fertilizer application is sufficient on more fertile soils 1 time in 2–3 years.
- In the spring, at the end of March - the beginning of April, 1-2 kg of manure per 1 sq. M. m pristvolny circle.
- During the flowering of pears in order to tied the fruit, make a 0.1 percent solution of boric acid (10 g per 10 liters of water for one tree).
- After the autumn leaf fall, the mixture of mineral fertilizers will contribute to the growth and development of the tree (ammonium nitrate - 20 g, urea - 15 g, superphosphate - 50 g).
Pruning is an important event in the care of all fruit trees. The first pruning of Augustus dew can survive after planting. The branches are removed at a height of about 0.5 m.
The best time for this event is spring. During this period, branches damaged by the sun or frost can be cut, as well as branches that are too long or thicken. All sections are smeared with a twist or paint.
Autumn pruning is aimed at removing dry and old branches, which are then burned.
The best time for pruning is early spring.
Preparing for the winter
In late autumn, trees are whitened with lime mortar or special paints for trees. This layer on the trunk protects the tree from sunburn of the bark, which can be in winter and spring.
Pristvolny circle needs to be cleaned from fallen leaves, water-transfer irrigation (70–100 l). Rump the ground around the roots with a layer of 15 cm.
If the region has cold and little snowy winters, the stem should be wrapped with a nonwoven covering material that allows air and moisture to pass through (agrotex, spanbond).
Ways to combat diseases and pests (table)
- Destruction of affected leaves and fruits.
- Removal of diseased bark areas with a knife: grab about 2 cm of a healthy area just in case.
- Treatment of wounds with blue vitriol (35 g per 1 liter of water).
- Treatment of the affected areas with a mixture of mullein and clay.
- Destruction of the affected parts of the plant.
- Processing during the appearance of the leaves with Topaz (1 ampoule per bucket of water).
- Regular watering.
- Colloidal sulfur solution (100g per 10 l).
- Destruction of affected fruit.
- Spraying after flowering with Oxyh (20 g per 1 bucket of water).
- 1% solution Bordeaux fluid.
- Mechanical collection of insects.
- In the spring spraying a solution of the drug Nitrafen (300 g per bucket of water).
- Preparations Kinmiks, Agravertin, Iskra and others. Use according to the instructions.
Harvesting, storage and use of the crop
The fruits begin to ripen from mid-August to mid-September (depending on the climate and weather in the region). The variety's precocity makes it possible to harvest the first crop (10–15 kg) as early as the 3-4th years of the tree’s life. The maximum fee reaches 200 centners per hectare.
The variety belongs to the table, perfectly suitable for fresh consumption. Of course, canned billets from the August dew are excellent.
In a cool place, pears are stored for about 2 weeks, and up to 3 months - in the refrigerator.
It is necessary to collect the fruits in dry weather, the ideal storage option is wooden boxes or plastic containers.
Pears ripened and can be easily plucked from the tree
Description and characteristics of the variety with a photo
This variety refers to the summer(as evidenced by the name), taking over from the "parents" their best qualities -winter hardiness, increased disease resistance, good tasting properties.
The main fruit removal is in mid-September, and by this time the pears remain evenly green. Acquire a yellowish color with a gentle blush they begin after harvest.
The variety is distinguished by the one-dimensionality of the leveled fruits of the standard form, without signs of ribbing. On average, each pear weighs about 150 g, and even in the most unfavorable years its weight does not fall below 100 g.
Under the dull smooth skin are well visible numerous dark points, it does not spoil the attractiveness of the fruit. Inside is hidden delicate thin flesh of white. By its structure, it is fine-grained and has a pleasant taste, which harmoniously combines sour-sweet shades.
“August Dew” refers to varieties of table purpose, and consumers rate the fruit at 4.6 points (with a five-point system), and marketability at 90%.
Lezhkost fruits depends on the place of their storage:
- in a cool room (for example, a cellar) pears do not lose their presentation for 2 weeks,
- in the refrigerator, the freshness of the fruit lasts about 3 months.
The main characteristics of the variety include resistance to self-siphoning. Even pears poured with ripe ripeness are firmly held on long, thick, curved stalks.
Fruits hang from powerful, cranked shoots of a light brown color. For oblong dark green leaves of medium size, serrate serrated edges are characteristic. The plate is glossy and, due to the wedge-shaped base, is always directed upwards.
Harvesting trees is convenient because it is compact and applies toto dwarf types - its height barely reaches 3 meters.A sapling after planting quickly goes into growth and gives a moderately, slightly drooping crown.
The tree has a high ability to form shoots with rapidly awakening buds. Fruits grow away from the trunk, forming a right angle with it.
Saucer-shaped small white flowers grow from buds; they are collected in clusters of 7-10 in unclosed inflorescences. They have long, curved sepals and pistils, significantly towering above the anthers.
Planting and care
There are no particular features in the planting of the "Augustus Dew" - you can follow the same rules as for other pear varieties. But in cooler regions, this process should be treated more responsibly in order to ensure a good survival rate of the seedling.
In the central and southern regions, the best time to plant is September, early October. The roots have enough time to settle down to frost. But it is better for northerners to plant a pear in the spring, before bud break.
To ensure that the tree stably yields sugary fruits, choose a well-lit place for planting with a low groundwater storage (and preferably on a hillock). При этом растения следует защитить от сквозняков невысокими постройками или заборами.
Для посадки не стоит выбирать торфяники и глинистые почвы. На чистых песчаниках дерево будет развиваться хорошо, если его ежегодно подкармливать. А вот рыхлые суглинки и супесчаники вполне подходят.
Saplings for planting take 2 or 3 years of age and dig a pit under them in a diameter of 1 m to a depth of 50 cm. Drainage, fertilizers and a layer of earth are laid on the bottom, filling the pit with 2/3 of its volume.
Having dipped the roots in the clay talker, they are gently straightened in the hole and sprinkled with earth. At the same time, the root neck should rise 5-7 cm above the surface.
In the year of planting, the care of seedlings comes down to watering. In a month it is necessary to moisten the soil at least 4-5 times (almost every week). It is better to use a sprinkler for this purpose, which includes 2 hours. If watering with a watering can, then under 1 tree use at least a bucket.
In subsequent years, watering adjust under the weather. On fertile soils fertilizers are applied every 3 years. All trimming is carried out only in spring (sanitary, rejuvenating, for the formation of crown).
Harvesting and Harvesting
August dew - skoroplodny pear variety. This means that the harvest has ripened in mid-August. The first fruiting occurs usually in the third, less often in the fourth year of the plant's life. The shape of the fruit is short-pear-shaped. They are covered with a smooth dense skin. At the stage of technical maturity, the color of the fruit is green, which later turns into yellowish-green with a dull blush (consumer maturity stage).
Harvesting is important to carry out in dry weather. The best option for storing the harvested pears would be open wooden boxes or plastic containers.
Avgustovskaya Dew pear is excellent for fragrant jam, natural juice or homemade compote
Long-term storage of pears of this sort is impossible. The maximum term in a cool place is up to three months. The fruits are great for home canning, but mostly these pears are consumed in a fresh state. Drying them is not worth it, because the August dew is very juicy. It is better to use them for processing and getting juices, jams, compotes and preserves.
History of the pear August dew
The variety was obtained in the All-Russian Scientific Research Institute of Genetics and Breeding of Fruit Plants. I.V. Michurin. Scientists S. P. Yakovlev crossed the varieties of Tenderness (Russian selection) and Triumph Pakgam (Australia). High winter hardiness and complex disease resistance were transmitted from the first parent to the August Dew, and excellent taste and high yields were inherited from the second parent. Since 1997, the August Dew has undergone varietal testing and in 2002 was included in the Register of Breeding Achievements of the Russian Federation in the Central Chernozem Region. The variety was highly appreciated by Russian gardeners in the middle lane, where it quickly became widespread.
Pollinators for the August Dew
According to the All-Russian Research Institute for Breeding Fruit Crops, a variety of August dew has a low degree of self-fertility, therefore it requires a pollinator to fully fructify. In some reviews, it is noted that the August dew can bear fruit without a pollinator.
The varieties Avgustovskaya dew and Yakovlev’s Memory are quite self-fertile, they will bear fruit without an external pollinator.
AlexanderR, Nizhny Novgorod region
This contradiction can be explained by the fact that, according to experts, the degree of variety’s self-fertility can vary, depending on various factors.
Accumulated by researchers information indicates inconsistency indicators of self-fertility varieties in different years and different climatic conditions. The same variety can exhibit stable self-fertility in some conditions, while in others it can be partially self-fertile.
S. Orlova, Candidate of Biological Sciences, A. Yushev, Doctor of Biological Sciences, All-Russian Research Institute of Plant Industry named after N.I. Vavilova, St. Petersburg
Garden and Garden № 3, 2009
As a rule, originators indicate in a characteristic of a variety the degree of its self-fertility and the best pollinator variety. The August dew is not an exception, in the description it is noted that the best pollinator for it is the variety of Memory of Yakovlev. Other varieties that could become pollinators for the August dew are not mentioned in the sources.
It is usually considered that cross-pollination can occur between varieties, in which the periods of full disclosure of flowers overlap each other on one side or the other for at least 5-7 days. The flowering time of summer varieties may overlap with late summer and early autumn. Therefore, the following varieties can be called zoned in the same region (Central Chernozem) as the estimated pollinators for the August dew:
- Summer: Dessert Rossoshanskaya, Cathedral, Lada, Marble.
- Late years: Memorable, Chizhovskaya.
- Early autumn: Esenin, Irista, Memory Parshin, Tyutchevskaya.
Features of growing pears August dew
The variety is quite unpretentious and hardy. As practice shows, standard care is enough for him. When the basic requirements of agrotechnology of this culture are met, it is possible to count on a high and high-quality crop of August dew.
It is possible to plant a pear both in the spring, and in the fall. In the climatic conditions of the middle lane, spring planting is preferable, since the sapling planted in the fall may not have time to settle down and freeze out in the winter. Growing conditions for Augustous dew are common for this culture:
- well-lit and protected from the north winds place (southern or south-western slope),
- fertile and well-drained soil is preferred (poor sandy soils need to be enriched),
- swampy soils and places with high (2 meters or less) groundwater deposition are not suitable,
- soil acidity in the range of pH 5.5–6.
The landing process is standard. In advance prepared landing pits of size 80x80x80 on heavy soils lay drainage, and on the sand - a layer of clay. The pit is filled with a mixture of fertile land with organic and mineral fertilizers, forming a small mound on which the seedling is placed. Then they fill up the planting hole with the nutrient mixture to the top, tamp it down, form a trunk circle and water it.
The Augustus dew planting process does not have any features, it is planted the same way as any other pear
Crown formation and trimming
For dwarf trees (to which the August dew belongs), the spindle-shaped formation of the crown is optimal, its advantages are simplicity of implementation, high precocity and yield of fruit trees. Gardeners quickly master the technique of performing such a formation. The height of the trunk is left 45–50 cm. The central branch (conductor) is allowed to develop intensively. On it in different directions and evenly along the entire length without tiers with small intervals lay the skeletal branches. Most often they are placed in a spiral. The laying of a large number of skeletal branches stimulate the annual shortening of the conductor. However, it is impossible to allow strong crown thickening, it is important that the branches uniformly fill all its space.
Especially well done in the form of a spindle bush pear, grafted on a quince.
Avgustov dew for a pear is considered to be the best spindle shape of the crown, as for all dwarf trees.
In addition to the formation of the crown do not forget to carry out other types of annual pruning:
- sanitary (cutting dry, sick and damaged branches),
- regulatory (thinning of the branches thickening the crown),
- supportive (shortening of shoots to stimulate the formation of fouling branches, on which the crop is formed).
Watering and feeding
There is evidence that the variety is quite drought tolerant. However, the quality of the fruits will be better, and the yield will be higher if the August dew is regularly (every 3-4 weeks) watered. It is desirable to maintain a constant soil moisture pristvolnogo circle. The amount of water used for irrigation should be such that the soil is soaked to a depth of 25–35 cm.
Augustus dew is fed in the same way as other pear varieties. In the spring, before flowering, nitrogen fertilizers are applied (ammonium nitrate, urea). Make one or two dressings depending on the condition of the trees. After flowering, the pear needs potash and phosphate fertilizers, which are applied 3-4 times with an interval of 3 weeks. Mineral fertilizers can be replaced with liquid infusions of organic matter: concentrated infusion of bird droppings (1:10) or cow manure (2:10) is diluted in 10 liters of water and applied at a rate of 10 l / m 2. Under the autumn digging make superphosphate.
In the spring, the pear is fed with nitrogen fertilizers, and in the summer with potash and phosphate fertilizers.