Why do cucumber leaves turn yellow? Almost every gardener is familiar with this problem. Sometimes it may become stained and yellow leaves. In other cases, cucumbers become yellow, can dry out and completely wither. Yellow edging is possible at the edges. The reasons for this phenomenon are not always clear, since there may be too many of them.
Efficient, comfortable and sooooo fast. When you need to lose 3-4 pounds per week. Read more here.
Often it is completely impossible to determine why the leaves of cucumbers turn yellow in a particular case. The problem that has arisen speaks of an unfavorable situation that requires decisive action in order not to lose the harvest. Yellowing borage is better to warn in advance. If the process has already begun, you should understand what to do and take decisive action. If on seedlings turn yellow leaves, you need to sort it out immediately.
Lack of light
A closer look at the beds clearly shows that the lower leaves turn yellow and may die from insufficient light. Panic is not worth it, this is normal. Any cucumber bed grows heavily. It is clear that the illumination inside the thickets is not enough, especially from below. In this situation, you can safely remove dying leaves and enjoy the harvest.
Lack or excess water
Emaciated Stepanenko: I weighed 108, and now 65. At night she drank warm. Read more here.
Usually watering is done a couple of times a week. In the intense heat it is necessary to water daily, and the earth should be deeply moistened. Otherwise, the roots will climb up to find the missing moisture.
Attention! Recently I acquired an interesting hose of a unique design, which allows it to increase three times under the pressure of water, which makes it incredibly light, compact, convenient to use and it does not bend over during use. And I bought it here ...
This causes them to dry out. The plant in this situation suffers greatly the cucumbers turn yellow leaves, ovary Too frequent rains are also unfavorable. Excess water will cause roots to rot, cucumbers will turn yellow.
There is a mass of fungal diseases leading to yellowing of the leaves. Pytioz, fusarium and other diseases should be prevented. With their appearance, the tops are covered with rusty spots, then the foliage is covered with them, which eventually dries out and disappears. In case of fusarium, the weaves fade, completely unresponsive to soil moisture. When changing the heat to cool rain and a significant drop in temperature at night, you can prepare for the appearance of fungus.
I was able to get rid of ARTHROSIS AND OSTEOCHONDROSIS PER MONTH! Operations are not needed. Read more here.
Spider mite or whitefly completely suck the juices of the leaves, which leads to their death. The recommendations in this situation are obvious. Only a dead pest can be considered a good pest. Do not do without spraying the beds of poison or the use of popular methods of pest control.
Watch the video! Cucumbers began to turn yellow leaves. Urgently preparing a healing concentrate
An insufficient amount of macro and microelements is enough reason for the leaves to turn yellow. But it happens quite rarely. If a leaf edges yellow and dry, this is due to an insufficient amount of magnesium and potassium. The formation of dark veins on a yellowish background is associated with the absence of manganese and iron. Yellowing of the upper leaflets indicates a lack of copper. The use of modern fertilizers will easily correct an unpleasant situation.
Exposure to hypothermia
The homeland of cucumbers are the humid jungles of India, the culture has an innate need for warmth. It is especially difficult to tolerate cold roots. In central Russia, summer is often cool. Lowering the temperature of air and soil does not allow the root system to work at full capacity. As a result, there are problems in the form of yellowed leaves.
Root system damage
Not only excessive coolness in summer leads to unstable work of the roots. They are badly affected by mechanical damage. To prevent this from happening, seedlings should be planted in the phase of two full-fledged leaves without damaging the earthen coma. Loosening and pulling weeds is also required as carefully as possible, too much zeal is inappropriate. It is better to use mulching, and weed is not necessary, just weed shoots pruned at the surface.
Aging Cucumber Leaves
Naturally, the foliage gradually becomes coarser, older, photosynthesis stops, and eventually the leaves die off. Usually by this time the harvest is gathered, the plants no longer cause any special emotions. But sometimes there is a desire to keep the beds until late autumn. Extend the life of the whips is quite possible. But this will be discussed later.
What to do if the leaves of cucumbers turn yellow
The best treatment at all times was prevention. It is better to prevent the occurrence of a problem in your garden than later to engage in tedious treatment. For this reason:
- It is necessary to observe crop rotation. Putting cucumber in one place every year is unacceptable. You can not plant them after squash, pumpkin. This increases the risk of fungal infections in vegetables,
- Favorite cucumbers should be watered plentifully and regularly. When visiting the site only on weekends, you need to work hard and mumble the planting with cut grass and weeds. Mulch will not allow moisture to evaporate quickly, provide the soil with additional nutrition, warm it,
- Regular spraying will be required after emergence of shoots in the phase of 3-4 leaves. For this it is better to use: a little soap, 20g, a liter of milk, a little iodine. It all dissolves in 10 liters of water,
- It is necessary to feed organic or mineral fertilizers. To do this, suitable herbal infusion with bedding in the wells of ash,
- There is the following spray option for prevention. In the evening, bread loaf is soaked in 10 liters of water. In the morning, the bread is warming up, iodine is added, a bubble is enough. A liter of the product is diluted in a bucket of water and used for spraying. The procedure must be repeated twice a month. It will provide prevention and excellent condition beds,
- With the arrival of June, cucumbers should be sprinkled with a solution of soda. A bucket of water will need a tablespoon. Alkaline environment will destroy fungi.
What to do if the leaves on the cucumbers have already begun to turn yellow
If the foliage could not be saved, it becomes yellow, you can try spraying a solution of whey from milk or kefir. It takes 2 liters of serum per 10 liters of water. Fruits better tied, if additionally pour into a solution of 150 g of sugar.
You need to carefully inspect the planting to identify pests. They are well destroyed by onion peel. Take 700 g jar of onion peel and pour a bucket of water. All this is brought to a boil and infused half a day. The broth after being filtered and diluted with water in the ratio 1: 4. The resulting solution is sprayed and watered.
At the initial stage of yellowing, the leaves can be poured with a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
To prolong the fruiting and rejuvenation of the bushes, foliar feeding with urea is carried out, and humus is added to the roots.
For the same purposes spraying of infused hay is carried out. The infusion is obtained by soaking the hay in equal proportion with water. Cucumbers need to spray means three times at weekly intervals.
From fungi and bacteria, biological remedies, such as Trichodermin, are the best defense. They are completely safe for humans and animals, but harmful to microorganisms. We wish you a good harvest!
Watch the video! Why yellow leaves of cucumber
Table: causes of yellowing of leaves in cucumbers and ways to solve the problem.
- You can check the optimality of watering by digging the soil a little: it should be moderately wet to a depth of 10 cm.
- The average irrigation rate is 10 l / sq.m. This amount is reduced in wet weather and increased in arid.
- Normalize watering.
- Create a shelter (in greenhouses, as a rule, there is no such problem)
- Observe the recommended landing intervals.
- Orient the rows in the direction of the sun's rays
- To conduct watering in the morning / evening / in cloudy weather under the root.
- Avoid contact of leaves with glass greenhouses: the recommended distance to the walls of the shelter - 25 cm
- Monitor temperature changes, as it lowers, build temporary shelters.
- In cold regions grow cucumbers in greenhouses
- To feed cucumbers with complex fertilizer, for example, Agricola, or one-component (superphosphate, urea, calcium nitrate, wood ash - depending on the deficit).
- To carry out planned top dressing of plants, to fertilize the soil when digging
- Spray with whey, daily garlic infusion (50 g / l of water), with extensive damage - with chemical preparations (Quadris, Thiovit Jet, Topaz, 1% bordeaux solution).
- Affected leaves need to be torn off and burned.
- When the first foci of the disease appear, you can apply soda and soap solutions 25 g / 5g / 5l, copper sulfate 10g / 10l, 1% Bordeaux liquid. Twice treatment is necessary, and repeated in a week, the soil is also processed.
- If downy mildew has spread significantly, fungicides are used (Topaz, Quadris, Fitosporin-M, etc.).
- Affected leaves must be torn off and burned; in a crop rotation, do not plan to plant pumpkins on contaminated soil in the next 3–4 years.
- Prevention of perinosporosis is the treatment of seeds with fungicides, compliance with agricultural practices
- There is no cure for plant viruses. The vector control of insects will help indirectly, but this is only prevention.
- Affected cucumber bushes uprooted and burned
- Carefully loosen the beds, plant seedlings with a clod of earth.
- To combat pests.
- Damaged plants, if not too late, replace with new ones or try to squeeze the roots more tightly (if they were undermined by a pest and they literally hang in the air)
- Preparations Aktellik, Aktara are active against whitefly, aphids, larvae of the May beetle.
- Bazudin, Zemlin and others destroy wireworms, caterpillars of a winter moth.
- Traps and scarers will help in the fight against moles.
- Manure pits, Grizzly and Thunder preparations are recommended against the bear.
- As a preventive measure of the appearance of pests, spraying garlic infusion helps well.
- To stimulate the continuation of fruiting at the end of the summer, cucumbers can be fed.
- When the rapid withering has already begun, it is necessary to remove the last fruits, remove the scourge, prepare the bed for the winter and the subsequent landing of a new culture.
It is worth noting that yellowing more often affects the lower leaves of the cucumber - in this case you should not worry much: it is beneficial for the plant, above all, to preserve the upper leaves and ovaries. With timely action, the yellowing does not spread further, and the harvest will not suffer.
Video: yellow border with a lack of potassium in cucumbers
As you can see, the cause of yellowing of leaves in cucumbers is an impressive amount, but there are also ways to eliminate each of them. In addition, many problems help avoid preventive measures:
- avoidance of thickened landings
- airing greenhouses
- timely watering with warm water
- routine fungicide treatments
- installation of traps for pests.
Carefully watching your garden, you can notice the problem at its earliest stage and solve with minimal losses. Yellowing the leaves of a cucumber is most often eliminated by correcting errors in the agrotechnology of the crop, much less often need special tools like chemicals. We hope the recommendations given in the article will be enough to find a way out of any situation.
The main causes of the problem
The reason for the yellowing of the leaves on cucumbers, usually becomes one of these adverse factors:
- irregular irrigation regime, both frequent and rare soil moistening is harmful,
- lack of nutrients, especially nitrogen,
- lowering the air temperature
- hot weather or water on the leaves during watering on a hot day,
- fungal or viral disease,
- root damage during transplantation or insect pests.
Why is not all the leaves of cucumbers turning yellow, but only some? If the lower leaves turn yellow, the following problems should be excluded:
- poor light access to the base of the plant,
- excessive or insufficient watering,
- use for watering cold water
- cold climate
- micronutrient deficiencies,
- diseases caused by fungi, viruses or bacteria.
If the tips of the leaves turn yellow, this may be due to the following adverse factors:
- infection with fungal disease (powdery mildew is common),
- dry summer, without sufficient watering,
- if the leaves turn yellow at the edges, you need to fill the lack of potassium.
When the leaves turn yellow, the situation often signals a problem, so you need to take action.
Tackling the problem
Why can yellow leaves of cucumbers in the open ground, due to both natural adverse events, and with errors in grooming.
Cultivation of vegetables should be carried out on a site with favorable conditions. When there is insufficient light, the leaves at the base begin to turn yellow. When the cucumber stalks grow, the light may not reach the inner green part of the plant. In this case, there is no danger for the crop. You can simply tear off the bad leaves so that they do not take away the extra forces from the vegetable.
If a place was chosen for planting cucumbers, where its rays come from sunrise to sunset, a burn may occur. Not only the leaves turn yellow, but also the ovary. Therefore, you need to choose a place where in one of the half days a shadow is present on the site.
Agrotechnics offer advice: “Plant cucumbers where the sun illuminates the place only until lunchtime.”
A common reason why the leaves of cucumbers turn yellow is an unfavorable summer. When summer is hot and watering is sparse, the roots of the plant begin to approach the upper layers of the soil. As a result, not only the root, but also the deciduous part becomes yellowish. If, on the contrary, summer is rainy or water in abundance goes to each root, they begin to rot and the leaves turn yellow.
Sometimes the leaves of cucumbers in the open ground begin to ache ascochitis. The disease spreads during the formation of the fruit. On the plant appear yellow-brown spots, the leaves at the edges dry and curl.
If the leaves immediately after planting began to turn yellow, you need to eliminate the appearance of pests. The most common unwanted guests in the garden with cucumbers is aphid or spider mite. Insects feed on juicy greens. Streaks turn yellow and tips dry.
In case of mass invasion of pests, insecticides will help (Photosporin, Spark). If the scales are not too large, you can try the compositions on a natural basis (an infusion of celandine, a solution of wood ash and soap).
Such fungal diseases as fusarium, pythiasis, can be recognized by small yellow-brown spots on the leaves. As the disease spreads, the entire leaf area will turn dark yellow. Protective formulations for spraying should be used especially when there are sharp fluctuations in air temperature, for example, after heavy heat it rained.
Cucumbers are very susceptible to putrid diseases. White rot affects shoots and young fruits of the plant. The problem can be recognized by white bloom, which is why the stem is damaged and the supply of useful components stops, the leaves turn yellow and dry out.
What to feed, if the leaves turn yellow cucumbers, determined by external signs. The lack of nutrients in the soil can be recognized by the following features. The fact that there is not enough magnesium or potassium is indicated by yellowing leaves at the edges, while they dry and wrap.
Yellowish green-veined leaves appear when manganese and iron are deficient. If only the top leaves have turned yellow, and the bottom leaves are green, then the plant should be fed with copper-rich ingredients.
Another reason why the foliage turns yellow is aging. At the end of the growing season, when the flowers and ovaries cease to appear, the leaves and tops begin to coarse, turn yellow and dry. Usually by this time the main crop of cucumbers has already been collected. If you want to extend the period of fruiting, you should use special fertilizers.
To prevent cucumber leaves turning yellow, preventive measures should be taken.
- Cucumber beds should not be planted annually in the same place, and also can not be planted where previously collected pumpkin or zucchini.
- Be sure to follow the rules of watering. Watering is necessary only in the morning or evening hours. Especially often you need to water the plant during the formation of flowers and fruits, every two days, or even more often if the weather is hot and without rain.
- If a cold snap is expected, cover the plants with a film.
- Regular fertilizer should be applied regularly. Gardeners recommend: “Feed the plant three times over the entire development period. More frequent fertilization is needed during the cold season and the season of mass disease spread. ”
- It is recommended to process seeds, seedlings, young shoots from diseases and pests. In time you need to tear off the diseased leaves and use the tool to destroy the enemies that have appeared.
If you can not water the plant in time to help can come mulching. Straw, peat, sawdust will be suitable as mulch. The layer will slow down the evaporation of moisture from the soil, warm in cold weather, prevent the emergence of weeds and reduce the risk of pests.
Choosing how to water cucumbers so that the leaves do not turn yellow can be stopped on the purchased preparations. What if the yellow foliage of cucumbers? Treatment needs to be addressed as soon as yellowing appears. Folk remedies will help to help. In order to prevent a problem or quickly get rid of it, several recipes will help than to process cucumbers so that the leaves do not turn yellow.
- Milk composition with soap can prevent yellowing of leaves. A liter of milk, soap chips and a few drops of iodine are added to a bucket of water. Processing takes place every 12 days. Many people use this composition: “The first time you can apply the composition when the first leaflets appear on young sprouts. As soon as you spray the plant, the problem will start to disappear. ”
- To treat the plant from yellow leaves is recommended infusion onion peel. In addition, the composition will enrich the soil with nutrients and scare away many pests. Onion peel is poured with hot water and set on fire until boiling. After that, the liquid is left to insist for 12 hours. The resulting solution is filtered and diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 4. The composition can be sprayed on the leaves and watered at the root.
- A solution of potassium permanganate is used at the first manifestations of yellowing of cucumber leaves. Positive reviews about this solution can be found everywhere: “I process not only adult plants with potassium permanganate, but also seeds before planting. I select only large and dense seeds for planting. ”
- To the leaves become green again, you can use herbal infusion. The ideal option is nettle, which will enrich the soil with iron, potassium, magnesium. Crushed grass stalks are poured with water and left to ferment for several days. Soap chips are added to the ready-made solution and water beds with vegetables are added.
- How can you spray the garden beds? To prevent fungal diseases, it is useful to spray the plant with soda solution. Add 30 g of soda to a large bucket of water. It is advisable to water in early summer.
- You can pour ashes with water and leave to infuse for a week. Before watering the concentrate must be diluted with water. You can mix it with other components or simply sprinkle topsoil, only after that it needs to be watered.
The cause of yellowing of leaves in cucumbers is often a lack of trace elements. Throughout the growing season, it is recommended to make at least three supplements. When yellowing leaves on cucumbers, it is useful to feed them with a spray of the ground part of the plant.
How to feed cucumbers to avoid problems with growing vegetables and get a rich harvest? The first dressing should be made when the leaves begin to unfold. The second feeding is made as soon as the third leaf appears. You can use organic or mineral fertilizer.
Vegetable growers are preferred to fertilize with mullein at all stages of vegetable development. Manure is filled with water (1: 5) and left to infuse for 5-6 days. During this time, nitrogen will heat and become completely harmless to cucumber. To improve the efficiency, wood ash can be added to the solution.
It is useful to make feeding from bird droppings. Useful as a dry dung, or prepare an infusion. Bird droppings, drenched in water, insist about 1.5 weeks. Such a solution is especially useful during the rapid formation of ovaries. Before watering, the solution is again diluted with water.
If the leaves turn yellow suitable recipe based on dry or live yeast. Yeast solution strengthens the root system, activates the activity of beneficial bacteria in the soil, increases the yield. Once a week it is useful to sprinkle on the plants or to water with a watering can with the prepared solution. The leaves will stop turning yellow, and the cucumbers will be smooth and juicy.
You can spray cucumbers purchased drugs. The instructions will help you choose which one is best. Ovary, Pollen, Health, Good power helps to get rid of yellowness. These drugs increase the resistance of plants to diseases, deter pests, saturate the soil with nutrients.
Wrong watering cucumbers
Wrong or insufficient watering of cucumbers is perhaps one of the main reasons. Violations of the mode of watering cucumbers - too often, insufficient water or too rare - the plants are dehydrated. From abundant watering, cucumbers can rot.
In hot summer, cucumbers need to be watered daily and correctly - do not let the temperature drop. If the air temperature is 30 degrees, then the water for irrigation should be the same temperature.
Watering with cold water leads to yellowing of the leaves and diseases of cucumbers.
Watering cucumbers to produce at the root, water droplets that fall on the leaves, can cause sunburn and yellow spots on the leaves.
It is better to water cucumbers in the evening or early in the morning. In a rainy summer, watering is stopped, and it is watered 2-3 times a week in a greenhouse.
Important: when watering cucumbers, the soil should be moderately wet to a depth of 10 cm.
Cucumber leaves turn yellow and curl - causes?
Yellowing and twisting of the leaves at the same time occurs in such cases:
-- fertilizer shortage. The leaves become pale, curled downwards - this is the reason for the lack of nitrogen. After making the feeding the problem should pass.
-- powdery mildew, a disease in which the leaves turn yellow and curl. It is necessary to spray the plants with a 1% solution of Bordeaux mixture. If the leaves in the greenhouse or greenhouse have turned yellow, regular airing is necessary.
-- pests also one of the causes of yellow and twisted leaves. Is it possible to have aphid or spider mite on the back of a leaf? Plants must be treated with insecticides.
-- hypothermia. Non-observance of the temperature regime during cultivation leads to yellowing of the leaves. When growing in a greenhouse, make sure that the leaves do not touch the glass - this will cause a burn.
-- air humidity. With low humidity, the leaves of cucumbers are curled, it is necessary to increase watering and moisten the dry air in the greenhouse.
-- viral diseases. If all care recommendations are followed, and the leaves continue to turn yellow and curl, all that remains is to destroy the diseased plant until the virus has infected the rest.
Lack of fertilizer
Yellowed leaves - a sign of lack of nitrogen. Cucumbers need constant feeding for normal growth and development.
The first feeding of cucumbers occurs with the appearance of 3-4 leaves. The following feeding is carried out in the period of flowering and fruit set. Also, do not forget to feed during the period of active fruiting.
For dressings, liquid basal fertilizers are better suited. Be sure to comply with the indicated proportions on the product packaging before dilution with water.
Remember: it is better not to feed than to feed.
With active fruiting, it is better to feed with infusions of herbs (herbal tea) - these natural ingredients have a good effect on plants and will not cause harm.
Any weed grass will be suitable for cooking (it is better to use a comfrey), which is finely chopped and filled with water. 2 kg of this herb per 10 liters of water. Leave for a week in the fermentation tank, then feed the cucumbers by diluting the resulting solution in a 1: 9 ratio with water.
Yellow lower leaves of cucumbers - the reasons?
Yellowing of the lower leaves occurs more often, as the plant leaves all forces for the growth and development of the upper leaves, ovaries - bringing the harvest. Often, yellowing of the lower leaves is a natural process.
In addition, the cause of yellowing of the lower leaves are:
- wrong watering of cucumbers,
- lack of lighting. Thick foliage does not allow the sun's rays to illuminate the lower leaves, so the plant gets rid of them.
- hypothermia. Pouring cold water over cucumbers, the lower leaves become pale, turn yellow and dry.
- lack of fertilizer. Yellowing of the lower leaves is associated with a lack of potassium, magnesium, phosphorus. Feed fertilizer complex fertilizers. For 10 liters of water, 10 g each of superphosphate, potassium salt and ammonium nitrate - dilute and carry out root dressings.
- fungal diseases. They primarily affect the lower leaflets of plants with fusarium and other fungal diseases.
Remove infected leaves and destroy. The disease of fungi occurs when changing weather conditions, from hot weather to rainy, with a cold snap. To fight fungi, treat plants with garlic infusion (50 g of garlic for 1 liter of water, leave for 24 hours). Also such drugs as Topaz and Quadris work well.
- a natural process. By the end of the season, cucumber leaves turn yellow and dry, the normal aging process takes place.
Diseases of cucumbers
Mealy dew - A terrible enemy for cucumbers. Spores of this disease overwinter on plant debris.
To prevent diseases, carry out prevention even in the fall when preparing the beds. Dig the soil deep, remove all plant debris, you can disinfect with drugs.
The disease can occur at different stages of plant development. Mealy dew primarily affects the lower part of the plant, gradually moving upward, affecting the whole plant.
Signs of the disease - the appearance on the leaves of small yellow specks, which will eventually grow in size, as a result of uniting into one large spot. The plant begins to die.
It is very difficult to combat powdery mildew, it is better to prevent this fungal disease. Processing plants with special solutions (fungicides and copper-containing preparations) and preparations (Fitosporin) will help to cure plants.
Important: change the site for planting cucumbers for next year.
Folk remedies for powdery mildew:
- Mullein infusion. Dilute 1 kg of mullein in 3 liters of water and leave for 3 days. At the end, strain and dilute with 3 liters of fresh water. Spray the plants with this solution.
- infusion of sour milk. Sour milk is diluted with warm water in a 1: 1 ratio. Spray the plants 1 time in 7 days.
- soda solution. For 10 liters of water, add 50 g of soda and 50 g of soap. Stir and spray the plants every 5-7 days.
- an infusion of ash. For 10 liters of water add 30 tbsp. l wood ash, insist 2 days. Sprinkle plants with infusion.
Yellow edges of the leaves in cucumbers - the reasons?
There are various reasons for the yellowing of cucumber leaves around the edges.
- fungal diseases,
- lack of moisture, leading to yellowing and drying of the leaves along the edges.
- lack of potash fertilizers. A green-yellow border around the edges indicates the need for fertilizer fertilization.
Another significant reason for the yellowing of leaves in cucumbers - the appearance of pests. Spider mite and whitefly, can harm plants.
White fly - a small butterfly that falls on the beds along with cucumber seedlings. Break off and destroy the affected leaves.
Spider mite - may appear, both in open ground and in the greenhouse. Placed on the bottom of the sheet, he envelops him with a barely perceptible cobweb. This pest, despite its small size, leads to yellowing of leaves and death of plants. Remove infected leaves and shoots.
Means of combating these pests - processing plants with liquid ammonia or tobacco dust. Best of all fit special drugs to combat it with these pests.
Some of the lower leaves inside the beds turn yellow and die from a lack of light. This is not a cause for concern, it is a normal phenomenon. As a rule, a cucumber bed looks like a real lush jungle. It is not surprising that the light penetrates the light with difficulty, and the lower old leaves lack it. In this case, just from time to time break off the yellow leaves and enjoy the harvest.
Lack or excess of moisture
In the usual summer, cucumbers recommend watering abundantly two or three times a week. In the hot summer - every day, deeply wetting the earth. Otherwise, the roots of cucumbers will “get out” to the surface of the earth in search of moisture and may dry out. For plants it is a disaster, and the leaves and ovaries begin to turn yellow. The rainy weather also does not like cucumbers: roots rot, rot forms on the stems. As a result, we again see yellow leaves on a cucumber bed.
Most often it is Fusarium, Pythiasis and other fungal diseases that cause yellow leaves on cucumbers. First, rusty spots appear on the leaves, then the leaves become completely covered with spots, they dry up and fall off. In the case of Fusarium, the whips become lethargic, like a cloth, and do not react to watering. If the thirty-degree heat has been replaced by cold rains and lower night temperatures, hold on: the fungi will not keep you waiting.
Supercooling or sharp temperature fluctuations
Cucumber comes from the hot and humid Indian jungle, that is, the love for the heat of his "innate." The cucumber root system is especially demanding to heat. The summer of the middle zone has not been indulging in hot days lately, and the lowered air temperatures (and most importantly, the soil) do not allow the roots to work at full capacity. The result - the yellowing of the leaves begins.
Adding an article to a new collection
What to do if the leaves turn yellow and wither in cucumbers? How to fix the situation and save the plant? We understand why the leaves of cucumbers turn yellow in a greenhouse, greenhouse, or bed.
In most cases, yellowing of the leaves of cucumbers is the result of improper care or violation of optimal growing conditions. Slightly less yellow leaves indicate diseases or "starvation" of the plant. Let's figure out how to recognize the cause of the change in color of foliage and eliminate it.
Causes of yellowing leaves in cucumbers
There are several reasons why cucumber leaves began to turn yellow.
1. Failure to watering. If you water cucumbers too rarely, or often, but with an insufficient amount of water, the plant quickly becomes dehydrated. The first sign of this problem is yellowing of the leaves. No less dangerous, and excessive watering - cucumbers can rot.
With proper watering, the soil at a depth of 10 cm should be moderately moist.
2. Lack of fertilizers. Perhaps cucumbers need feeding. During the growing season, plants need complex nitrogen fertilizers. With their lack of leaves begin to turn yellow.
3. Overcooling. Low temperatures also cause stress to the plant and lead to the appearance of yellow leaves.
4. Sunburn. If you have watered cucumbers during the daytime, and water has fallen on the leaves, yellow spots on them may indicate a sunburn. To prevent this, watering is carried out only in the morning or in the evening.
5. Diseases and viruses. The leaves of affected cucumbers turn yellow and fade. A common cause of yellow leaves is fusarium.
7. Damage to the root system. If the roots of cucumber eat pests, or they were damaged when the seedlings were planted in the ground, while weeding or loosening, the leaves will inevitably turn yellow.
Why do cucumber leaves turn yellow and curl?
Twisting the leaves of cucumbers in combination with their yellowing can talk about serious problems.
1. Lack of batteries. If you notice that the leaves of the cucumbers have begun to turn pale and curl downward at the same time, perhaps the reason lies in the nitrogen deficiency. Inspect the leaves, if they stretch out along, and the leaf plate has not grown, the problem is likely to go away after conducting a complex feeding.
2. Mealy dew. In the middle of summer, powdery mildew damages vegetables. As a result of this disease, the cucumbers turn yellow and the leaves curl. To prevent and combat the scourge, the plants are sprayed with a 1% solution of Bordeaux mixture, and the greenhouse or greenhouse is regularly aired.
3. Pests. If the leaves began to curl and turn pale, acquiring a yellowish tint, it is possible that the plant was “attacked” by pests. Inspect the back of the sheet. Perhaps it is littered with aphids or spider mites. In this case, cucumbers should be sprayed with insecticides or acaricides, respectively.
4. Viruses. If you comply with all the recommended conditions of detention, spent feeding and preventive treatment of diseases and pests, but cucumber leaves are still yellow and deformed, most likely, it is a symptom of a viral disease. Unfortunately, in this case, it remains only to destroy the affected plant, while the virus has not spread throughout your garden.
5. Hypothermia or burn. By yellowing the leaves of cucumber often leads to non-compliance with the optimum temperature. If the leaves of seedlings or young plants touch hot or cold glass (windows, walls of the greenhouse), this can also cause them to twist. Therefore, it is advisable to plant the plants so that they do not come into contact with the glass.
6. Low humidity. With a lack of moisture, the plant tries to reduce the area of evaporation and twists the leaves into tubes. The problem will be solved with sufficient watering and moistening of dry air in the shelter.
Why do the lower leaves of cucumbers turn yellow?
Чаще всего проблемы возникают именно с нижними листочками огурцов, так как в стрессовых условиях растение бросает все силы на самые "перспективные" части – верхние листья и завязи, которые дают урожай. Поэтому иногда пожелтение нижних листьев огурцов – естественный процесс, а не результат болезней.
Most likely, this plant itself gets rid of the lower leaves, because it can not feed them
1. Insufficient lighting. Healthy cucumber lashes are covered with thick foliage. Therefore, it is not surprising that the sun’s rays cannot penetrate to the very bottom of the bush. In this case, the plant naturally gets rid of the "ballast".
2. Improper watering. As we said above, failure to comply with the irrigation regime for cucumbers can lead to wilting and yellowing of the leaves.
3. Overcooling. When supercooling first lower leaves turn pale.
4. Lack of batteries. The yellowness of the leaves in the lower part of the plant most often indicates a deficiency of magnesium, potassium, phosphorus. True, in order to make up for it, it is advisable to use a complex feeding. So you reduce the risk of improper fertilization.
5. Fungal diseases. The lower leaflets are primarily infected with Fusarium, Pythiasis and other fungal diseases. At the same time whips become weak and frail. Affected leaves must be immediately removed and burned to prevent the spread of the disease.
6. Old age. By the end of the season, cucumber leaves, like most plants, turn yellow and dry. This is a natural process.
If the hot weather suddenly gave way to rains and a cold snap, expect a fungus “to visit” soon. How to spray cucumbers so that the leaves do not turn yellow in this case? Will help ordinary whey, garlic infusion (50 g per 1 liter of water, insist day). From chemical preparations, you can use Quadris, Topaz, Tiovit Jet.
What causes the cucumbers to turn yellow?
If not only the lower leaves turn yellow, but also the top leaves and cucumber ovaries, it's time to sound the alarm. If you do not take urgent action, you can lose the entire crop.
1. Lack of sun - A common cause of yellowness of leaves and cucumber ovaries. Insufficient illumination of the lower leaves for a cucumber is not fatal, but if the light is not enough for the upper part of the plant, the problem must be solved quickly.
2. Overcooling. In cold weather, ovaries and cucumber leaves turn yellow and as a result can dry out.
3. Lack of minerals. Most often, cucumbers lack nitrogen and potassium, which are washed out of the soil with frequent watering. Fill this shortcoming with a complex mineral top dressing.
The optimum temperature for growing cucumbers: before the fruits in the afternoon in clear weather 22-24 ° C, in overcast - 20-22 ° C, at night - 17-18 ° C, during fruiting in the afternoon, in clear weather, 23–26 ° C; in overcast, 21–23 ° C; and at night, 18–20 ° C.
Why do cucumber leaves turn yellow?
So, you have noticed that the leaves of cucumbers turn yellow at the edges, and you do not know what to do. First you need to understand the reasons for the change in color of the leaves.
1. Fungal disease. Often powdery mildew begins to hit the sheet with the edge. If you suspect a fungus, especially if the weather has suddenly deteriorated the day before, treat cucumbers with 1% Bordeaux liquid. You should not get involved in this drug, as an overdose can burn the plant.
2. Lack of moisture. Dry air and insufficient watering can lead to yellowing and drying of the leaf, which often begin at the edges.
3. Lack of elementsin particular, potassium. On the edge of the leaves there is a light-yellow border. The issue is solved by conducting a comprehensive feeding.
What to do if the leaves turn yellow in cucumbers in the greenhouse
Due to non-compliance with the recommended growing conditions, vegetable crops in greenhouses cause disease. The first symptom of many of them may be yellowing of the leaves. To restore their healthy color, you must follow the recommendations below.
1. Observe the watering mode. During flowering and fruiting on average, cucumbers are watered every 2-3 days at the rate of 10 liters per 1 sq.m. Naturally, watering should be increased on more dry days, and reduced in rainy and cloudy weather.
To determine whether cucumber beds need watering, carefully dig up the soil between the plants to a depth of 10 cm. If the soil is too wet, you do not need to water the cucumbers yet.
2. Maintain a comfortable temperature. Above, we have already talked about the optimal temperature regime for cucumbers. Try to maintain the temperature of the air in the greenhouse and the greenhouse at this level in order to prevent drying and burns or overcooling.
3. Regularly air cucumbers. To the bushes did not start to rot, it is important to moderately air the greenhouses and greenhouses, especially in hot weather. This will help reduce the risk of downy mildew and other fungal diseases.
Downy mildew affects cucumbers with an excess of moisture
4. Be sure to feed the cucumbers. If the yellowness of the leaves does not indicate a more serious problem, it is likely that it will go away after conducting a complex feeding.
5. Treat for pests and diseases. To cope with the fungus will help 1% solution Bordeaux fluid. From aphids, cucumbers can be sprayed with a solution of nitroammofoski (3 tablespoons per 10 liters of water). A solution of colloidal sulfur (80 g per 10 liters of water) will cope with the spider mite.
6. Do not thicken the landing. Yellowing of the leaves may be associated with too dense placement of cucumbers in the greenhouse. Firstly, it limits the exposure of sunlight to the lower part of the plants, because of which the leaves turn yellow and die. Secondly, such conditions contribute to the appearance and spread of fungal infections.
What to do if the leaves of cucumbers turn yellow in open ground
Why do yellow cucumbers in the garden? There may be several reasons. To keep cucumbers healthy and keep green, follow these rules of care.
1. Cover the cucumbers during the cold snap. Do not allow overcooling of plants, timely cover them with spunbond or film.
2. Observe watering norms. If the leaves turned yellow simply because the cucumbers have dried up from the heat, resume normal watering - soon the plants will come to their senses. If you have overdone it with watering, and the leaves have turned yellow due to rotting, urgent measures should be taken: loosen the bushes or sprinkle the soil under them with wood ash and sand.
If cucumbers are affected by the black leg, treat the soil in the beds with a pink solution of potassium permanganate.
3. Fertilize. Feed cucumbers regularly with organic and complex mineral fertilizers. Yellow leaves may be caused by "starvation."
4. Treat cucumbers for diseases and pests. Regularly inspect the plants to prevent the development of diseases in the bud and quickly calculate insects that harm cucumbers.
5. Do not water cucumbers during the day. The same applies to foliar fertilizing. Yellowing of the leaves may be due to sunburn.
What to do if the leaves of the seedlings of cucumbers on the balcony turn yellow
In general, the causes of yellowing of the leaves of cucumber seedlings are the same as in adult plants, however there are several other possible factors that cause this problem.
1. Too tight containers. If young plants begin to turn yellow, it is possible that the seedlings are simply cramped in pots, and the root system cannot develop normally. The simplest solution is to transplant seedlings in a larger container.
2. High humidity. In order not to give fungal diseases chances of development, adjust the humidity of the air, airing the balcony.
3. Improper watering. The leaves begin to turn yellow with excessive or insufficient watering.
4. Lack of batteries. To prevent a shortage of elements necessary for the good development of seedlings (and, consequently, yellowing of leaves), feed the seedlings in the phase of 2-4 true leaves with complex nitrogen fertilizer (according to the instructions). Remember - it is impossible to feed cucumbers with organic matter before planting into the ground.
You can make a mixture for feeding cucumbers yourself. To do this, 10 g of ammonium nitrate, 10 g of superphosphate, 10 g of potassium salt dissolve in 10 liters of water. This solution is only suitable for root dressings - if it comes into contact with the green parts of the plant, it can leave a burn.
What to do if cucumber leaves turn yellow
If the yellowness on the leaves of the cucumber appears stained, the plant most likely struck a fungal disease.
1. Anthracnose. If you notice round yellowish-brown spots on the leaves of cucumber with blurred edges, on which pinkish pads form at high humidity, your cucumbers suffer from anthracnose. Another symptom of this disease is concave ulcers of an oblong shape on the stems and petioles of the plant.
Struggling with this disease with the help of 1% suspension of colloidal sulfur, which is sprayed with plants. The next treatment (after 1-2 weeks) must be carried out with a 1% solution of Bordeaux fluid. All areas affected by the fungus are treated with a 0.5% solution of copper sulphate and powdered with crushed coal.
2. Downy mildew. Downy powdery mildew can be recognized by round yellow spots on the upper part of the leaf and whitish bloom - from the bottom. The leaves quickly begin to grow brown, dry and die.
For a week, you should stop watering cucumbers and spray the plants with Oxyhoma solution (20 g per 10 l of water). Prior to fruiting, young cucumbers can also be treated with Rizoplan (2 tablespoons per 10 liters of water). Spraying is carried out only in the evening.
If your cucumbers are sick with powdery mildew, the measures described will only help to delay the spread of the disease. In the fall, the plants will need to be burned, and it will be possible to re-sow cucumbers at the same place no earlier than after 7 years.
3. Burn The appearance of yellow spots on the leaves of cucumber can also be attributed to sunburn. You may have watered or sprayed plants in the daytime under the strong rays of the sun. In this case, the only advice is to water cucumbers early in the morning or in the evening.
How to process cucumbers so that their leaves do not turn yellow
To stop or prevent the yellowing of the leaves of cucumbers, it is possible to process the bushes with the following "cunning" solutions.
1. Milky soap "cocktail". In 10 liters of water, add 1 l of milk, 20 g of soap, 30 drops of iodine. Soap should completely dissolve. Process this cucumber with this solution from the moment the second pair of true leaves appear every 10 days.
2. Bread with iodine. At night, soak a loaf of black or white bread in a bucket of water. In the morning, mash the bread, pour a jar of iodine. Dilute 1 liter of concentrate in 10 l of water. Spray the cucumbers with a solution every two weeks.
3. Onion infusion. A jar (0.7 l) of onion peel pour 10 liters of water. Put the container on the fire and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, leave to infuse for 14 hours. Strain, dilute with water in a ratio of 1: 4. Spray the leaves of cucumbers, pour the remains under the bush.
4. Potassium permanganate. At the first signs of yellowing the leaves, spray them with a 1% potassium permanganate solution.
What can be watered and fed cucumbers so that the leaves do not turn yellow
To the leaves of cucumbers are not yellowed, it is important to carry out plant feeding in time.
1. Nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium fertilizers. It is best to use ready-made complex fertilizers, but you can prepare the feeding yourself. In a bucket of water (10 l) dilute 10 g of superphosphate, ammonium nitrate and potassium salt. This solution can be carried out only root dressing.
2. Herbal infusion. The safest feeding cucumbers - herbal fertilizers. Cucumber is best suited fertilizer from the comfrey. For its preparation, 1 kg of freshly chopped grass is poured with a bucket of water and infused for a week. The resulting concentrate is diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 9. The solution can be used for spraying, and for root dressings.
After using this green fertilizer, it is also advisable to cover the tree trunks with ash wood.
3. Soda solution. To prevent fungal diseases, pour young cucumbers with soda solution (1 tbsp per 10 liters of water).
4. Urea. In a bucket of water, dilute 40 g of urea and spray the cucumber bushes with the resulting solution. Under the roots at the same time with this feeding make rotten compost.
Folk remedies against yellowing of cucumber leaves
How to spray cucumbers so that the leaves do not turn yellow if you do not accept the "chemistry" on your site? We have a couple of working folk recipes.
1. Milk solution. Whey or kefir will help at the first sign of yellowness on cucumbers. Serum or kefir is diluted with water in the proportion of 2:10. Spray the plants with this solution.
To speed up the process of fruit set, you can add 1 cup of sugar to this mixture.
2. Infusion of mullein. 1 kg of manure dilute 3 liters of water, insist 3 days. Strain concentrate and dilute with water in a ratio of 1: 3. Sprinkle cucumbers. This will serve as foliar feeding, and means of powdery mildew.
3. Infusion ash. 30 tbsp. wood ash pour 10 liters of water, leave to infuse for 2 days. Sprinkle the plants with the resulting infusion.
We hope our material has helped you to understand why the leaves of cucumbers turn yellow in your garden and how to deal with it. We also recommend reading the article on why cucumber ovaries turn yellow.
Not only a cool summer can cause poor root performance. Mechanical damage also adversely affects the root system. Therefore, it is better to plant the seedlings in phase 1-2 of the first true leaves, trying not to damage the earthen room. With loosening and pulling weeds, too, do not be too zealous. Instead of loosening, mulching is recommended, and weeds should not be removed from the root, but cut near the soil surface.
The venerable age of cucumber leaves
Over time, the cucumber leaf grows coarse, ages, stops photosynthesis, turns yellow and dies. Most likely by this time you already ate cucumbers to satiety, and aging whips do not bother you. But if you want a fresh cucumber right from the garden until the autumn, there are ways to “prolong life” of cucumber lashes, and we tell about it HERE.
To cucumber leaves are not yellowed
The best treatment for everything in the world is prevention, and our case is no exception. It's easier not to allow this in your garden than to treat it later. Here is a list of activities that reduce the likelihood of yellowing of leaves in cucumber:
- Try to observe crop rotation. Do not plant cucumbers in the same place from year to year, do not plant them after squash or pumpkin, otherwise the probability of “catching” a fungal disease significantly increases.
- Water your cucumbers in a timely and abundant manner. If you are on the plot only on weekends, do not be lazy to mulch the beds well with weeds or mowed grass. A thick layer of mulch will not allow moisture to evaporate, as well as provide additional nutrition and heat to cucumber roots.
- feed with organic or mineral fertilizers. The simplest, but effective dressing is a herbal extract in combination with adding ash to the holes. Ash is not only an additional source of potassium, it also helps protect against cucumber parasites.
- after the emergence of seedlings in the phase of 3-4 leaves (and then every 10 days), sprinkle cucumbers with the following composition: 20 grams of soap, 1 liter of milk and 30 drops of iodine per 10 liters of water.
- Another preventive spraying option: in the evening, soak a loaf of bread in a bucket of water, knead the bread in the morning and add a small vial of iodine. One liter of this mixture diluted in a bucket of water and process the cucumbers. If you repeat this procedure once every two weeks, you can keep cucumbers green until autumn.
- in June, spill cucumbers with a solution of soda (1 tbsp per 10 liters of water). Alkaline environment does not like pathogenic fungi.