Even on a small plot of land your artificial waterfall will not be superfluous. At least due to the fact that this reservoir even in hot weather in a certain radius humidifies the air. A dug bath in the ground (a large number of bowls) as such is not a bad thing, but it is unlikely to greatly decorate the garden even with the necessary decoration around the perimeter.
But if you organize a small waterfall at the dacha as an addition to such a small pond, you can solve several problems at the same time. Calm murmur of water will contribute to the nature of good rest. And also the site will be transformed so much that landscape design beyond recognition will change. About all the features of the construction at the waterfall dacha with their own hands, we consider in detail in this article.
Tips for waterfall design
Engineering solutions have a fairly large number. For example, in height, number of steps, and so on. The variant with several mirrors (upper and lower) looks much more original. However, selecting this particular project, it is necessary to consider that at any dacha plot of a few hundred constantly lack of usable space. In this case, this design is much more difficult to install.
- If at the same time the reservoir is used not only for collecting water, but also for various water procedures, then you need at least 1.5 meters. By the way, this combination of functions is quite rational during small dimensions of the dacha territory.
- If only a decorative task is assigned to the waterfall, then 15-20 cm is enough. It will only be possible to decorate the bottom surface, since it will be very well visible during a minor water column.
- Certain cottage owners are planning the breeding of ornamental fish and planting plants in a pond. In order for the underwater fauna and flora to endure wintering safely, the depth must be no less than the level of soil freezing (namely, 1.8 m for an average region) with a deep waterfall structure.
This moment is also quite interesting. What attracts most in the waterfall? Many people will unequivocally answer this question - its naturalness. Therefore, it makes no sense to advise a certain configuration of the bowl. The shape of the bowl must go organically into the general relief of the territory in the country, be one, literally merge with it.
Accordingly, during the selection of the finished tank (plastic, metal), which is distinguished by the correct geometry, it is necessary to think about how to arrange the area of the artificial pond around the perimeter at the waterfall. That is the edges of the bowl give a curved, natural shape.
Artificial waterfall in the country can be mounted on the ground or recessed. The owner decides on his own, taking into account how the structure will look against the general background of the territory, and what is easier (or better) for it to build with his own hands. Therefore, hereinafter - only a series of practical advice that, one way or another, will not be superfluous.
- It is imperative to do at least a partial excavation, at least 25 cm. The explanation for this is quite simple. The root system of weeds does not penetrate deeper. Accordingly, under the bowl of the reservoir there will be no spores that can later grow.
- If the ditch is pulled out so that the earth does not crumble from the walls, it is necessary to moisten the soil all the time.
- The sides of the tank, which are used to receive falling water, must be strengthened. One of the most effective methods (when the tank is not made of metal) is concreting, while with the indispensable laying of metal, rather than plastic reinforcing mesh. It can be explained very simply - the root system of tall shrubs and fruit trees will eventually reach the bowl and be able to damage it. Probably, many people know how easily they destroy the same asphalt.
- The soil that comes from the pit, do not have to remove. It will be necessary during the lining of the bowl around the perimeter and during the construction of the dais, on which the source of the waterfall will be located. Here in this place it is necessary to recline.
- As a waterproofing to use plastic wrap is undesirable, even though it is the most budget option. It will not last long (no more than 5 years), and it is unlikely that you will be able to glue the strips together in a monolithic canvas with a high-quality strip. For waterproofing the waterfall bowl and bed, it is advisable to buy butyl rubber (up to 35 years) or PVC membrane (up to 15 years).
Naturally, in the country, the choice of location for the construction of the waterfall is very difficult because of the small size of the site. Objects around which you do not need to install a waterfall:
- Shrubs and trees. Falling leaves very quickly clog up the bowl, this in the end result starts to cause the pump of the artificial reservoir to work for wear.
- Outbuildings and country house. The reason - the enrichment of air with water vapor during the crosswind will fall on the structural elements. As a consequence - the appearance of fungus and mold on the walls and a number of other negative consequences.
Features of pump selection
This is also a rather large topic that needs to be considered separately. However, some tips will be able to help determine in advance with the purchase of the pump.
For a small artificial waterfall in the country is enough for a pump with a capacity of about 0.1 kW. However, in this case, you need to focus on the pressure that the pump will produce. For example, if with the help of it it is planned to water the backyard territory during the draining of the bowl of the artificial reservoir. This is partially described below.
The submersible pump is almost no noise and less dimensional. It is placed directly in the bowl of the waterfall. But this decision can be made if it is not implied that it will not use water procedures. It must be remembered that all products of this class are powered by electricity. The best solution is a surface surface pump. With this pump a little more complicated, and a certain constant noise from his work at the summer resident will not bring any allowance.
Instructions for creating a concrete bowl
Step-by-step instructions for gardeners who choose this option:
- The bottom and walls of the pit must be sealed.
- They are plastered with clay, while oily. After it dries, a primary layer of hydroprotection appears.
- The bowl is covered with PVC film, completely turned over the edges.
- From above - an iron grid, it will be an element of concrete reinforcement.
When everything is aligned and prepared, the bottom is loaded concrete layer approximately 6-7 cm. As soon as the solution dries, you can plaster the walls of the bowl. It is not necessary to wait for the full-fledged freezing of artificial stone in the bottom section for a fairly simple reason. If the walls engage in a day or two, then joints (cracks) will appear between the bottom and them, and this is unacceptable. Given the relatively small depth of the bowl, all the work is very simple to do with your own hands.
It is only necessary to add that for mixing the cement composition it is necessary to use small fractional filler (gravel or river pebbles). With a small depth and size of the bowl, the volume of water is not that big, because no thick layer of concrete mortar is required.
Is it necessary to do this, decide only the owner of the dacha. But for a country house it is best to organize a waterfall in such a way as to establish only the steps along which the water jet will flow. If the bottom will hang over the bowl, then this is quite enough. The advantage of this solution is saving useful area of the site, time and materials.
Those people who have decided to pave the course nevertheless, must not forget that a number of activities will have to be carried out, as during the construction of the bowl. Waterproofing and strengthening the walls - in an indispensable manner.
Hill for the source of the waterfall
The best option is to do it. as close as possible to the edge of the bowl. Digging earth plus artificial or natural stone may be useful. Brick should not be used, especially silicate. These samples (and a kind of “red” burnt products including), in conditions of constant moisture, will not last for a long time even during high-quality waterproofing.
A pipe section is placed on top of the hill; it is the source of the waterfall. By analogy with the source, which beats out of the ground. The only thing that needs to be calculated is how to make a tap to connect to the outlet of the pump. By and large, for a person who knows how to do everything with his own hands, this is not a problem. Or put an adapter with threaded connections, or an elongated lower (bend) end of the pipe.
Need to remember that periodically the pump must be dismantled at least for elementary maintenance and inspection (if maintenance is provided for this model), not to mention the need to replace it (repair).
Other engineering systems
Probably, some people will have a question about how to empty the bowl and fill it with clean water. It is hardly worth bringing the drain and water pipelines to the waterfall in the country. "Old" water can be used for watering plants. For what it is enough just to connect a hose to the source tube and start the pump. And to fill a reservoir with the help of the same hose, having rearranged it on a pipe of a water supply system - absolutely simply.
If all the technical aspects of the issue are resolved, then the hill of the earth is compacted, then the waterfall steps are marked and equipped with it. Proceed (horizontal parts) is best laid out flat sandstone, large pebbles or coquina. That is, the material that occurs in natural conditions at the bottom and along the banks of rivers and streams. Same stuff best used on the perimeter and in the design of the bowl. In this case, a violation of uniformity is not the best option, since this is what “zest” about which it was described above — natural naturalness — is lost.
Any engineering "lines" that are brought to the waterfall (the same electrical wire) are not laid in concrete. Otherwise, there may be great difficulty with troubleshooting. Only on top, and how to disguise them with your own hands is very easy to determine. For example, lay out the same sandstone. It remains only to fill the bowl, turn on the pump - and in the country the waterfall will start working.
This article highlights only the main aspects of the construction of this hydraulic structure in its suburban area. The most important thing is to understand the meaning of specific technological processes. In this case, in the country can build any waterfall according to your drawings and schemes, taking into account the specifics of the site, the availability of free space and so on. We hope that this article will be able to help you decide on all the features of construction, materials and scheme.
How to make a waterfall of film: photo report
First, mark on the ground the desired shape of the bowl of your waterfall. The form depends on the style of your site. Strict geometric proportions characteristic of the modern style, can be in art deco. In the rest, they try to give a more natural, non-linear shape. Most often it turns out the reservoir in the form of bean.
The easiest way to make markup with sand. It is poured into the bag, the corner is cut off. Waking up the sand contour contours. It's easier to evaluate how much you chose the correct form. If necessary, it can be immediately corrected.
The turf is removed along the contour, and then the excavation is dug. Immediately, in the process of work, form the ledges. The optimal depth of the reservoir - about a meter. How many sites you will do with it, and what form they will be - depends only on your desire.
Dig the pit of the desired depth, forming along the way the ledges
In the excavated trench, immediately remove all items that can tear the film: pebbles, pieces of roots, etc. The bottom, ledges, are aligned. The leveled ground is compacted. Use for this tamper. In its simplest form, this is a piece of a tree trunk with a bar nailed. For the bar raise the deck, then dramatically lower it down. So compacted soil. Then poured a layer of sand - 5-10 cm. It is leveled with a rake, shed. Take the sand medium-grained. It is well compacted with water. Otherwise, it is necessary to ram the sand.
Sand first rake level
You can immediately form a slide if it is provided for in your waterfall. For example, such as in the photo below.
Waterfall with a molded earthen slide
Next, spread out the film in the pit. It is desirable to lay out geotextiles under it (the cheapest - 600-700 rubles a roll). This non-woven material will prevent root germination, as well as more evenly redistribute the load. It is laid on the edges of the pit, covered with sides and bottom. Above - the film.
As already said, it is better to use a butyl rubber membrane. It can be ordered in any format and your fountain will be seamless. The dimensions of the film are calculated simply: the greatest width + doubled depth + 60-80 cm per margin at the edges. If your waterfall is 2 * 3 m in size (at the most extreme points) and 1.2 m deep, then the film will need:
- 2 m wide + 2 * 1.2 m + 80 cm = 5.2 m
- 3 m long + 2 * 1.2 m = 0.8 m = 6.2 m
First spread it on the bottom, straighten, forming folds. Flatten, press down on the perimeter stones. Then you can proceed to alignment on the ledges.
Better ledges to completely lay stones. The bottom is desirable too, but you can use pebbles and small boulders. And the ledges are best to make a layered stones. Though they are in the water, they are clearly visible. The waterfall is made though artificial, but I want it to look harmonious.
Often there is a mistake in the design of the waterfall - the sides of the bowl are not lined with stone and the film spoils a good idea
Folding boulders one by one, they can and should be sealed with mortar. You can use both large and medium or small stones. It all depends on the configuration and height of the steps. As a result, the slopes will be uneven, but also with ledges. It looks much better than peeping film. Such a homemade waterfall brings satisfaction to the owners.
That's what should work out - stones appear through the water on the sides, not a film
The whole order of construction of the bowl, all the technological and nuances fully coincide with the construction of the pond. How and from what you can do it, read here.
Such different waterfalls to give
Before embarking on the construction of a waterfall in the country with your own hands, you need to decide what kind of reservoir you want to receive.
Waterfalls to give are distinguished by:
- type - with or without a pump,
- in size - from very tiny to monumental,
- according to the purpose of the accumulative reservoir - inhabited by plants, fish and mollusks or not,
- by the method of discharge and the volume of the jet,
- by the number of ledges - cascade, stream, monostable,
- according to the design style of the reservoir - landscape, high-tech, classic, landscape.
And if the size and technical characteristics of the reservoir depend on the area of the cottage plot and financial possibilities, the style and design of the waterfall - only on the taste and imagination of the owner.
Consider how to make a waterfall in the country with your own hands.
Choosing a place for a waterfall in the country
Water in the country, as a rule, becomes the center of attraction and the dominant design element. Therefore, for the device for the waterfall is better to choose the maximum open space with convenient approaches.
Do not recommend to place a waterfall in the country in close proximity to buildings and trees. In the first case, there is a risk of water flowing from the reservoir under the foundation, you will have to exert more effort to protect the structure. In the second - the possibility of damage to the roots of the waterproofing bowl of the waterfall. In addition, the reservoir will often have to be cleaned from fallen leaves.
On the other hand, the waterfall is contraindicated for a constant stay under the hot sun: microorganisms rapidly multiply in the water, the reservoir “blooms”, it must be cleaned often. Ideally, the pond bowl will “emerge” from the shadow only during the morning and cool afternoon hours.
Naturally looks like a waterfall, located on natural hills and slopes. Otherwise, a hill or hill will have to be built. Some designers consider the location of the reservoir angles formed by hedges or retaining walls to be successful.
Style and size of the waterfall in the country
It is important to determine the style before starting work, the shape of the reservoir depends on it:
- for a classic and high-tech fit a round or square bowl,
- in a landscape garden, an irregularly shaped pond with winding outlines of a cascade and banks looks more harmonious.
The geometric size of the waterfall can be the most modest, 1–1.5 in diameter, and quite impressive, here you should observe only a sense of proportion. How you can arrange a waterfall with your own hands at the cottage shown in these photos:
It is important to estimate the height of the future flow: the higher the cascade, the more powerful the pump will be required, which will ensure the circulation of water in the reservoir.
The first stage is planning
Здесь нужно решить, где именно разместится водопад, каков будет его стиль и образ, какого он будет размера.
Следует определиться и с глубиной пруда. Если планируете поселить в водоем рыбок, глубину нужно сделать не менее метра в центре, с обязательными уступами.
Дно каскадной части водоема и чаши пруда предстоит выложить гидроизоляционным слоем. What material will it be made of? Possible options:
- polyethylene film, rather, it will have to be changed every year,
- PVC film, more durable material, can last several years,
- butyl rubber film will last a decade
- ready-made plastic or PVC-forms for the dacha reservoir, these are ready-made containers, they just need to be dug into a properly prepared trench, a pleasure not cheap, but easy to use, will last a long time,
- concreting - the most durable, but also the most expensive and time consuming coating.
You need to decide what height the slope of the waterfall will be, how many ledges to have. If the ledge is one, you can raise it to a height of 50 cm, if several - the lower step can be located 25-30 cm from the pond's mirror.
Marking, preparation of a ditch for a reservoir
It is better to start with the application of the layout in the country, the shape and size of the reservoir on paper. Guided by this scheme to apply the markings on the ground. It is convenient to lay out the contours of the future reservoir with a rope or flexible hose. Then using sand or spray paint to repeat them on the ground.
Now you can begin to remove the sod and digging the pit. Put the land in the dump, it is useful in the construction of the slope of the waterfall. Periodically check the pond pattern and measure the depth. Make it 10-12 cm more than planned - for the sand "pillow". Remove all foreign objects and plant roots.
At the last stage, it is necessary to moisten and thoroughly tamp the soil, put sand in a layer of 10 cm and compact it.
It is useful to close the bottom of the reservoir with an agro-insulating sheet and only lay a film on top of it or install a finished PVC cup.
The film is laid in such a way that the edges extend from the basin of the reservoir no less than 20 cm, or better, 50–70 cm.
Installation of the pump in the reservoir
When choosing a pump for a waterfall in the country, you should consider several factors:
- planned height of water rise,
- The distance from the water intake point in the reservoir to the top point.
A 70 W submersible pump is suitable for a small dacha waterfall with a height of up to 1.5 m. It is installed at the bottom of the reservoir, so that later it is less noticeable.
For powering the pump, a low-voltage transformer is used, which must be placed in the villa or in a specially constructed sealed box near the reservoir. If necessary, the electrical cable is extended using waterproof connectors.
The hoses and electrical cable are placed in a pond and secured using water-insoluble silicone or a small amount of cement. After that, they start laying decorative stone, covering all the technical elements of the reservoir structure with it.
Registration of a slope and a reservoir
For the design of artificial waterfalls, made in the country with their own hands, more often use granite slabs of arbitrary size, boulders, stones, pebbles. Waterfalls in the Art Nouveau style and high-tech are also decorated with other types of cladding - marble, ceramics, mosaics, metal. For decorating classic waterfalls, they select sculptures, flowerpots, jugs, which often serve as a source.
Raw natural materials are more suitable for creating landscape reservoirs. Laying the stone start from the day of the bowl of the reservoir, then go to the edges and drain plates. Do not forget to cover the hoses and cable.
First, large boulders or slabs are laid, the distances between them are filled with small pebbles or rubble.
The design of the cascade of the reservoir start from the bottom step. The slab on which water will run down, put the baud in a small, 2–3 °, slope, and slightly push forward. Under the stream you can put a sharp stone, then it will fall into the pond with cheerful noise and splashes.
Continue laying gradually moving to the top of the waterfall. Here they fix the hose and make out the source: the water can beat with a thin stream, “seep” between the stones or flow smoothly from the boulders. It is important to note that on smooth, even plates, water will flow in the same smooth flow, especially if there is a small depression in the center and water accumulates there before pouring out onto the next ledge.
The natural appearance of the jets will give barriers of stones, grooves and notches on the surface and edges of the plates. The flow separation, the flow of boulders, changes in the direction of the channel also look beautiful.
After laying the stones it is useful to briefly turn on the pump and put water into the pond. See if you like how water runs off, whether it reaches the pond or slides down the sides of the slabs and disappears. If there are problems, it's time to fix them:
- seal joints and gaps with cement or silicone,
- fix drain plates
- adjust the water pressure.
If everything suits, go to the final stage of creating a waterfall in the country with their own hands.
It's time to embellish the waterfall, adjacent lawn and slopes. Here is the scope for creativity:
- release fish into the pond, if planned,
- place aquatic plants at the bottom of the reservoir and the ledges, you can purchase special varieties, or you can bring them from your beloved country lake, plant them in inconspicuous bowls and settle in your summer pond,
- plant near moisture-loving garden plants and shrubs,
- break alpine slide
- scatter multicolored pebbles or decorative soil along the shore of the reservoir,
- put a cozy bench near you or hang a hammock.
- pick and place the flowerpots, cute figures, garden sculptures.
The photo shows how you can still decorate a waterfall in the country.
Competently arranged and with love decorated waterfall for many years will become an attractive cozy place.
Waterfall without a pump
Mini-waterfall in the country with their own hands can be arranged on the principle of communicating vessels or free flow of water.
In the first case, 2 containers of the same size will be required, or 3, one of which will be 2 times larger than the other two.
Plastic tanks are suitable, it is possible without covers. The inner walls are covered with acrylic lacquer (green lacquer will give the surface of the reservoir a more natural look when water is poured into it). The tanks are filled with a third with stones, connected with pipes, and having a spout for water. If necessary, use T-shaped adapters. Have tanks at different heights, filled with water. Water from such a waterfall can pour into a small pond or into one of the tanks. It turns out the waterfall in the country with their own hands, arranged without a pump.
What is the result
Following the above tips, arrange a decorative waterfall in the country with your own hands. The murmur of water will fill the garden with new colors, and the corner where the “singing” reservoir will heal with its life will become a point of attraction for family and friends.
Visual advices on the device of the falls do-it-yourself in this video:
Therefore, it is very important to take into account a number of fundamental points.
- Regardless of the size of the future structure, it will fall into the category of hydro facilities. In this regard, it should not be located in the immediate vicinity of trees or shrubs. It is known that the root systems of most plants always tend to moisture. In this case, they will “stretch” in the direction of the waterfall, which can lead to damage to the waterproofing or even destruction of the entire structure.
- We do not recommend to build waterfalls very close to the walls of a residential building. With regular ingress of water on the fundamental basis of the house (and this is not excluded with this approach), the foundation can get wet, which is fraught with the appearance of fungus, mold and other unpleasant consequences.
- Are there elevations of relief on your garden or dacha territory? If so, we advise you to build waterfalls in such places - there they will look as impressive as possible. Hollows and lowlands, on the contrary, a bad option for placing waterfalls. Various types of garbage, foliage and much more - all this will fall into the waterfall, located at the lowest point of the site with each gust of wind.
- Waterfalls should be located so that they offer a perfect overview from most points of your country estates. For good reason, varieties of artificial waterfalls are key elements of many landscape design projects.
On the choice of pumping equipment
Now we need to decide on pumping equipment. First we will deal with the power of the pump.
To create a mini-waterfall enough devices with a capacity of 0.1 kilowatts. Another important factor is the level of pressure, which will determine how fast the water flow will flow into the reservoir.
Currently, the device artificial waterfalls used two main types of pumps. These are immersion and surface devices.
Submersible pumping equipment is small in size. In addition, such devices almost do not create noise during operation. They are installed directly inside the bowl of an artificial reservoir.
If a small body of water, which will be built in conjunction with a waterfall, will also be used for washing or bathing, you should not make a choice in favor of a submersible pump. In all other cases, such a choice would be quite reasonable.
Different types of surface pumps are usually located near the waterfalls. Consider that when operating a device of this type decently “makes noise”, in this connection it is worth considering in the variants of sound neutralization.
About the depth of the reservoir
Choosing the depth for a mini-pond, located under the waterfall, the most correct way is to start from the purpose of creating the object. If your plans include periodic swimming in a pond, it should be quite deep (at least one and a half meters).
The option with a decorative mini-waterfall does not imply the construction of a deep pond (20 centimeters deep enough). With this approach, the decoration of the bottom and the banks of the mini-reservoir becomes an important point.
If you want to continue in the cultivation of various plants at the bottom of the reservoir, you must return to the option with a large (not less than one and a half meters) depth of the mini-pond.
On the form of construction
In this case, everything will depend on your preferences, - someone prefers severity and conservatism, others are delighted with the original forms.
There are many interesting options in which already used plastic or metal tanks of various configurations are used (as bowls for a reservoir).
About the construction of the pit
Undoubtedly, this is the most time-consuming stage of the necessary construction work. Of course, the level of time and labor costs, above all, will depend on the depth of the future object. When starting to dig a trench, you should decide in advance on which side you want to arrange the waterfall itself. Knowing this, we will dump all the excavated soil into one point. Do not forget that in the future the bottom of the pit should be evenly covered with a layer of sand and compacted, in connection with this, its surface should be left fairly flat.
If in the process of making a trench one of the walls (or not one) starts to pour, it should be wetted and tamped abundantly.
As part of the option with a submersible pump type, we recommend, during the process of digging a trench, to perform special recesses for the device itself and its supply hose.
This time the role of the waterproofing layer will play a PVC membrane with a dense structure. It is important that the film was presented in the form of a single canvas - this is a very important point.
Covering the bottom and walls of a trench dug under a pond with waterproofing. In the place where you are going to arrange the grooves, you should give the membrane to lay according to their shape. As a result, the membrane should extend beyond the trench by about 50 centimeters.
After laying the membrane, you can proceed to the gradual laying of the bottom of river stones. As a result, waterproofing will more strongly be pressed to the bottom, and a line of shores will be formed in parallel.
All types of waterproofing work should be carried out with the utmost care so as not to damage the membrane.
An interesting and original solution will be the laying of large stones in the form of a monolithic slab - thus the waterfall will take on a natural look. Remember to make sure that no stone has any sharp edges.
You will learn about the final stages of the construction and decoration of waterfalls from the second material of our mini-cycle.
What are the waterfalls
Natural waterfalls can often be found in mountainous areas, but it is also quite possible to do this on your own plot. First make a small pond, then work on creating a small mound, install a special pump for pumping water to an artificial hill - we can say that your home waterfall in the courtyard is built. Such constructions are divided by the measures listed below:
- Depending on height
- The width of the stream. Distinguish between a jet view and a waterfall, where a wide discharge line.
- Number of steps (cascading waterfall)
- Depending on the material used
Often the construction does not exceed a height of 1.5 m. This is the optimum height for a conventional pump. If you have seen waterfalls and cascades, this will certainly not leave you indifferent. For this, the lower stage should be as even as possible. The rest can be done at your discretion.
- If the stones are flat and flat, then you can make a mirror water wall.
- If there are furrows on the stones and they have an uneven surface, then it will be easy for you to make separate flowing streams that look very stylish.
- In order for the water to flow slowly and smoothly, it is important to choose stones that have indentations. Then the water will fill them like a bowl and slowly pour on. Also, the flat water flow looks pretty nice. To do this, at the very top you need to place a rectangular container, where one side will be higher than the other.
- If you want to make the effect of a rapid flow, then we recommend placing large stones under the flow itself. Then the splashes of water will scatter, which also looks quite impressive.
- Dry waterfall. If you have not heard such an expression, it may be seen - the water flows beautifully from the slope, but disappears somewhere below. Of course, water is collected in the pit, just it is not visible. Make it too is not difficult. To do this, the pit is hiding under a fine metal mesh. In such cases, the mounds are made of stone.
- Mini waterfall. There are such conditions that there is simply not enough space for a huge structure, or you simply cannot build it. In such cases, you can build a very miniature room waterfall, comparable in size to a regular aquarium that will fit even in the smallest room. The body can be any - even from pots with flowers. The lower part must be sealed.
A similar principle can be designed many options. How your little waterfall or fountain looks like depends on your imagination.
There is also the option of flowing water on the glass. In this version there is a plus - it increases the humidity of the air. It is easy to build. This requires a pallet - you can use any plastic container. In the frame around the glass to put a tube with water, and in the upper part to make holes in it. In the pallet is located the pump. If humidification is not required, you can make such an artificial waterfall airtight. To do this, an additional glass frame is made, which is glued together with silicone. This is, of course, more difficult to do, but not impossible.
If the stones need to be securely fixed, then there are two options for this:
- Fasten them with cement mortar
- Use mounting foam. She, in turn, can look out at the edges of bonded stones ugly. To solve this problem, immediately after bonding, sprinkle regular sand on the peeling foam.
Waterfall and stream in his country house (video)
In the construction of the conceived idea of no small importance is how it will look as a whole on the site, fitting into the surrounding view. It is also important to consider an option when the artificial waterfall for the pond will be turned off - whether it will not violate the integrity of the landscape.
If you already imagine the end result in your mind, then you can safely proceed to the study of the main stages of the construction of a decorative waterfall.
How to make an artificial waterfall
Next, we turn to practical tips on how to make a decorative waterfall in the country with their own hands.
In most cases, the appearance of the garden waterfall depends on the site. Therefore, if you spied someone's idea, it does not mean that it will fit into your landscape project.
Let's take a quick look at the stages of building your waterfall:
- You need to choose the right place. Think carefully about the final picture of the entire site, so that all elements of the landscape are balanced. If you have no imagination, you may need to contact the designer for help.
- Waterfall device. As in any waterfall, water needs to be taken from somewhere and flow somewhere. We will have some kind of well-arranged hollow in the ground. From which material it is for you to decide, the main thing is that it be protected from water leakage.
- The construction of a mound. The mound can be created from the land that will appear when creating a reservoir, since there will be quite a lot of it. In order for the flowing water to not destroy the mountain, it must be protected. Лучше всего, если это будет специальная пленка. Форму ручья можно задать из камней. Чем больше будет насыпанная возвышенность, тем выше будет ваш водопад.
- Установка насоса. Насос выбирается в зависимости от того, какой мощности будет поток воды, и вообще, какого объема ваш пруд.
- Декорация фонтана. В зависимости от того, какой у вас ландшафтный дизайн на участке, используйте различные элементы декора, чтобы украсить фонтан. It can be wood, stone, glass, etc.
A phased guide to the construction of a waterfall in your garden (video)
The picture shows a visual approximate scheme of building a fountain.
These schemes depict a common way of building and decorating a pond with a waterfall with your own hands. For this you need to take into account some points:
- Find a clean place. Usually, a 2 by 2 m platform is suitable for this. It is better to think over the location of the dacha waterfall so that it is at least 3 meters away from the house, and the leaves and roots of trees do not spoil the reservoir.
- Consider the geometry of the banks of the pond and what the height will be. You can draw a contour, for example, using sand.
- Make a hole and mound. We recommend to make the depth of the reservoir no more than a meter. This will be enough to decorate the bottom beautifully, about the excavated land to make a hill. It will need to be tamped well.
- Prepare the base so that the slab can be installed. This base can be made, for example, from bricks. When installing, be sure to use a level so that the stove lies flat. The bottom of the pond can be made of different materials: concrete, film or brick. You can also buy a finished PVC container. It has many variations of forms. In the case of a concrete waterfall base for a pond, waterproofing first spreads, then fittings are installed. Now you can fill the surface with concrete with a thickness of at least 5 cm. Also, as an option, you can lay out the bottom of the brick. However, this is quite a laborious process. If there is a special film on the bottom, then before spreading it, you need to put wet sand in a 3-centimeter layer at the bottom of the pit. The film is pressed against the stones.
- Waterproofing embankment. To prevent the falling water from washing out the embankment, it must be protected from water. Butyl rubber is perfect for this.
- Installation of the plate itself. It must be placed so that the water falling on it is directed into the pond itself. If its shape does not allow this, use other stones and sealant.
- Pump mount. Using the instruction, place the pump in water. Lead the hose from it to the top. Also pull the power cord to the mains.
- Scenery of the waterfall. Disguise the supplied hose. This can be done with stones, and it is better if they are different in size. Start the system.
How to choose a pump for a waterfall
The main part of any waterfall is of course the pump. Thanks to him, the water rises to the top. We can say that most of the good waterfall depends on a good pump selection.
Pumps for the waterfall are divided into two types - those that are immersed in water and those that are not. In the second case, such a pump is harder to hide. It is often placed on the hill of the waterfall or it is masked by something. Submersible pumps with the same characteristics are cheaper, so they are installed in most cases.
One of the most important characteristics of the pump is the amount of water being raised per hour. Below is a table with which you can choose a pump for yourself.
How to install a plastic bowl
When building a waterfall with your own hands using the finished container, to begin with, turning it upside down, outlines the contours. They dig a pit.
It should be slightly larger than the bowl. During the works, they are guided by the existing form, measuring ledges and forming similar contours. Figured protrusions, it is desirable to repeat with a sufficiently high accuracy: so that they find a normal support.
Try on plastic ledges to support
The ledges and the bottom line, ram, poured a layer of sand of 5-10 cm, level its layer, but do not spill and ram: under the weight of the bowl, it will compact itself. Having established a bowl, we notice that there is a gap between its wall and the wall of the pit. We fill it with sand too. But here, it is desirable to consolidate. You have to do it with a pole or something. If the soil is well draining water, you can spill the sand.
If the container is plastic, with thin walls, and the volume is large, it is better to fill the gap with sand by filling it with water. So you can not deform the wall, too hard ramming sand.
Backfilling of the gap and decoration of the board
After this, there remains only the decoration of the board and the device of the slide, from which the water will actually fall.
Read about the construction of fountains here.
How to make a slide for a waterfall
If you are planning to decorate the edges of the waterfall with stones, and you want a high and a big hill, along which water flows, you need a solid foundation - a reinforced platform. Without it, the stones crawl into the bowl. Near the pit under the bowl, the platform under the hill is cleared and reinforced.
Make a standard monolithic slab. First, dig a pit. Its size should exceed the hill 40-50 cm in all directions. The excavation is excavated to a depth of 20-25 cm. Then the following procedure works:
- Gravel is covered with a layer thickness of 10-15 cm, it is well rammed.
- Lay rebar with a diameter of 12-15 mm. It is put up and down with a step of 20 cm, at the intersection with plastic clamps.
- Pour concrete.
Under this waterfall near the house you need a reinforced base
After the concrete has set (in a couple of weeks), you can begin laying out the slide. This procedure is necessary if the height of the slide above ground level is about one meter.
If the waterfall is planned to be small, you can simply remove the ground, pour rubble (under it you can put geotextiles so that the rubble is not washed into the ground). It is good to tamp the rubble, put a little sand on top and lay out a thick wire metal mesh. Put boulders on it, decorate it with smaller stones, pebbles, sand, plant the plants. It will be a kind of flower hill with a waterfall.
With a small height of the waterfall, you can do without concreting the site
There is a second option - to make a cascade type of waterfall using the height difference on the site. Even a small, a few degrees, slope will greatly facilitate the task: steps are formed on the slope, laying stones in the form of slabs. If there is no bias, you will have to fill an earthen hill, carefully sealing each layer, not forgetting to form ledges. For the reinforcement of the slopes, you can use a polymer mesh. It spread out, covered with earth. It will keep the ground from slipping.
On the formed ledges a film is spread, which is pressed against the channel by stones. They need to be laid out so that the water from this stone falls into the other, and not on the film. And then - the case for registration
When forming the slides for the waterfall, the stones between each other, although large, central, should preferably be bonded with a cement-sand mortar (per 1 part of portland cement, 3 parts of sand and 0.5-0.7 of water).
How to make a flat flow
If you want to have not a jet, but a wide stream of water, you will have to install another tank at the top of the hill, but already rectangular. One edge should be lower than the other.
Garden waterfall with a wide stream
There are special containers, but you can make any of them, cutting off the edge, and making a flat tray from which water will flow through the wall.
It’s easy to make a tray like this.
You, probably, saw already mysterious falls without a bowl in which it falls. Flowing down the ledges, it disappears somewhere. This is not a waterfall pond. No reservoir is visible.
Water escaping over the stones, disappears
Of course, there is a container for collecting water. She just disguised. It turns out a kind of "dry" waterfall. Make it, perhaps, no more difficult than normal.
The structure of the hidden bowl
Capacity digs also: in the pit. Only from above it is overlapped with a metal grid with a small cell (preferably stainless steel). If the dimensions of the tank are large, the reinforcement bars or wooden bars can be put on the sides as a base (do not forget to soak them).
A smaller one is spread on the metal mesh, and polymer will also work. It will detain more or less large pollution. On top of it are small stones that decorate this device. So it turns out that the water falls underground ...
Interesting effect: water disappears
Stage 1 - the choice of shape and depth design
The shape of the pond, in which water will fall from a man-made waterfall, can be any. If you like clear geometric shapes in garden architecture, the pond can be made round or rectangular. If you prefer natural forms, the contours of the bowl can have any shape, but not too complex, so that it is convenient to carry out construction work.
A pond can be shallow if you do not plan to have fish and underwater plants in it. If you want the pond to delight you with underwater flora and fauna, its depth should be at least a meter long, and better and deeper, so that fish and plants can survive the winter without freezing.
Stage 2 - Digging
You have decided on the size and shape of the bowl, now you need to drive pegs along the outlined contour and pull the rope. The earth formed in the process of work should be cleared of stones, roots and other debris. Put the land in a separate place, it is useful in arranging the waterfall and pond. The earth from the walls of the bowl will crumble, it is inevitable. Therefore, you need to periodically moisturize and tamper them. When the pit is ready, put a layer of sand (10-12 cm) on the bottom, and tamp it carefully.
The foundation pit for the pond is a regular oval, the walls and the bottom are carefully tamped. The depth of a little over a meter will allow breeding fish and aquatic flora in it.
Stage 3 - Pond Waterproofing Works
This is an important stage of work, depending on the quality of the waterproofing depends on how long the decorative waterfall for the garden will last.
For waterproofing it is better to use PVC film - it is durable and durable. And if you choose butyl rubber, a pond with a waterfall can last for several decades. We lay the foundation pit with a waterproofing layer so that a significant part of the material (at least 1.5 meters) is located above the foundation pit so that the film can be fixed well.
If you choose a film waterproofing, you will need to lower the water for the winter - when freezing, the volume of liquid will increase and damage the waterproofing layer.
More information about the device pond using the film can be found from the material: https://diz-cafe.com/diy/prud-na-uchastke.html
A layer of film waterproofing protrudes above the surface for a long distance, this will guarantee its secure fixing so that the film does not slide into the pond, it is fixed with stones
Right along the waterproofing layer, the banks of the pond are finished with stone, held together with concrete. It turns out quite nice, and the method of such finishing is simple and practical.
The most practical option - concrete waterproofing pond. Initially, the bottom of the pit is lined with durable polyethylene film, a wire frame that covers the walls and bottom of the future pond is laid over the film. Concrete must first be poured over the bottom, reinforcing the bottom of the frame in the concrete layer. When the bottom of about a day hardens, the walls are poured.
To create a pond, you can use the finished plastic bowl. It is convenient to fasten it, you will not need a waterproofing layer here, and it will be convenient and easy to clean such a pond.
Stage 4 - Waterfall Creation
Here two options are possible:
- Waterfall in the garden using the finished form. You can buy it in a specialty store. It can be a beautiful vessel or a sculptural composition.
- Large cascade waterfall. If you decide to make this design, then you need a natural stone. Sandstone for this purpose is the most convenient material, but small boulders can also be used. In order for the water flow to flow smoothly and smoothly, you need to use flat stones for the cascade.
If you want to get a strong stream breaking down on stones, in the upper tier, skip the flow between the stones that fit tightly to each other, and place the lower tier at a decent distance so that the water flow can break and foam. Thanks to stones with a rough surface, the waterfall can be turned into several separate jets.
Selected stones are stacked in an appropriate way, masonry is sealed with cement mortar.
To create this waterfall used a small special pitcher. The vessel can be selected in any size, it can be a sculpture, and any other composition that you like, which can be bought at the store
When making a waterfall and creating a cascade used sandstone. This is a simple design, where flat stones are laid out in several layers and water flows into the waterfall in one stream without obstacles.
Stage 5 - selection and installation of the pump
If the height of the waterfall is no more than one and a half meters (this option is most preferable, because you just need to take care of such a waterfall), you will have enough of a 70 W pump. With a higher cascade, a more powerful pump is also required. Try to choose a pump with a function of flow control, then the jet power can be adjusted as desired.
This diagram shows the location of the pump that supplies water to the cascade.
The pump will supply water to the top of the waterfall with a hose. It is better to hide the pump construction under the stones so that all its details, cables and hoses do not come across. The hose that connects to the water-pushing hole in the pumping structure is pulled to the top of the cascade, the second hose pulling in the water remains at the bottom of the pond.
How to choose a pump for the fountain and waterfall, you can learn more from the waterfall: https://diz-cafe.com/voda/nasos-dlya-fontana-i-vodopada.html
Stage 6 - decorating the structure
The most enjoyable stage of work is the decoration of the waterfall. Artificial waterfalls in the country - this is the main decoration of your garden, the best place in the summer heat, so the shores of a small pond should be attractive and picturesque. For decoration of the coast, stones, plants and garden decorations are used. Here you will need the land, which was formed in the process of digging the pit.
The framing of the shores can be made from sandstone or rounded boulders, alternate stones, make sandstone masonry on both sides of the cascade like sides so that it resists splashing. Pebble is a good material for the decor of the pond banks.
Crushed stone, boulders, pebbles and alpine mountain plants are used to decorate this pond with a waterfall. Such a cozy corner with a gravel garden and a pond can appear in your garden. Pebbles and gravel will not allow plants to grow much, the area around the reservoir will always look neat
The pond will be especially beautiful if you use several aquatic plants. Yellow pods, water-lilies (nymphees), and telesaw-shaped pistes will take root well in an artificial pond. Flowering plants in the water will turn your pond with a waterfall into a fabulously beautiful corner, moreover, they purify the water.
It will always be wet near the banks of the pond, so any flowers will grow well here. If your pond with a waterfall is clearly visible only on one side of the garden, the plants should be planted on the opposite side. If it is easily visible from everywhere, you can leave most of the banks open and plant the plants in groups.
It will be good to look at the pond with gravel-covered shores, against which the plants will stand out with their greenery and flowers
At the pond with a waterfall, you can equip a corner for recreation - put a garden bench, over which you can place the pergola. Roses will grow well near the water, the bush of which can be used for pergola decoration. Usually water corner is a favorite place for all family members. For children, you can arrange garden sculptures in the form of gnomes, funny animals.
Illumination from luminous stones can be placed at the coast, at the bottom, highlight the cascade, and lanterns in the form of wonderful shining colors to float on the surface.
Just a few colored luminous stones located under the water - and your pond with a waterfall at night will be a mysterious beautiful corner
It is pleasant to create garden waterfalls with your own hands, and it is twice more pleasant to relax near the reservoir in the summer heat or in the evening, in the shade and coolness. You should think about the evening decoration of your pond with a waterfall. In the evening and at night, floating lanterns or glowing stones will make your pond fantastic.
Homemade waterfall: start over
For an artificial reservoir, you will need standard tools: a mall, a marking of bars, a can of paint, a shovel, a construction car, a perforator, a Bulgarian, a level, a rule, a meter, etc.
To create and decorate a waterfall you need to prepare: sand, crushed stone, concrete mix, sealant, geotextile, waterproofing film, artificial stone, electrics, water circulation system (pump, filter, pipes, spout bowl, etc.), ornamental plants and any decorations for the pond of your choice.
The most important preparatory stage before the creation of the reservoir bowl is the choice of a place for the future waterfall. An ideal place for a makeshift pond - near the wall or in the corner of the fence. There should be no trees around so that the foliage does not litter the water.
Waterfall can be made in a cascade or jet method (see photo). The first is more complicated, but much more interesting.
Stages of creating a waterfall bowl
If you have the opportunity, then the easiest way to make a waterfall bowl is to buy a ready-made plastic mold. It is installed and decorated very easily. Нужно выкопать под чашу небольшой котлован и установить форму. Дальше – дело декора на ваш вкус.
А если вы все же хотите сделать стационарный водоем в саду своими руками, то вам предстоит работа в несколько этапов.
1 этап: Разметка
Нарисуйте макет вашего пруда на бумаге, а затем перенесите чертеж на выбранный участок. Для разметки удобно использовать старый садовый шланг. Put it in the form you choose for your pond. Use the meter to more precisely measure the size of the bowl. Now spray spray paint into the garden hose and remove the hose from the area. The paint remained on the ground - the marking is ready.
Stage 3: Waterproofing Bowls
High-quality geotextiles should be laid on the bottom and walls of the excavated pool. Top bowl littered with waterproofing material. Both materials lay out with a call on the edges of the pool. We cut off the extra parts of the fabric.
Butyl rubber film has become a popular waterproofing material today. Butyl rubber is elastic and can stretch by 300%, while maintaining the strength and integrity of the web. In addition, it is absolutely safe, both for people and for residents of an artificial reservoir (fish, algae, etc.). BC film is elementary in installation, which non-professional builder can easily carry out. The material is resistant to destruction from the roots of aquatic plants and the influence of ultraviolet rays.
Stage 4: Decor and water filling
Now it remains to make the decor of the edges of the pool with stones and plants. At the bottom you can lay out sea pebbles, granite and any other waterproof materials. When the bowl of the reservoir is ready, you can do a test run of the water and start creating a waterfall.
Bioplato: natural filtration of artificial reservoirs
Bioplato system - ready-made containers with soil and aquatic organisms that purify water in a natural way. See the photo. This modern type of filtration has become popular for the purification of domestic ponds. Bio-coats are installed in a place where water is supplied (artificial waterfall, stream, or any water outlet from the circulation system).
I. Choosing a place for a waterfall
We choose a place for a waterfall and build a foundation - a bunker in which all communications, equipment of the pump and filter will be located. It is better to make it from a cinder block (the most affordable option), but you can also use ready-made constructions made of plastic, metal or wood. Water will not get there. The foundation should be built close to the pond basin.
In the constructed base for the waterfall we get the necessary communications: pipes for the water filtration system in the pond, a skimmer (a device for feeding the upper layer of water into the filter), electrical wires for lighting and working of all equipment. Electrical panel embedded in the wall of the bunker.
Iii. Cascade base
We lay out the steps of concrete blocks, which will serve as the basis for a cascade of water. Steps can be stapled DPS, but then they will be problematic to disassemble if you want to change something in the design of the waterfall. For greater mobility, you can leave them without fixing.
We form steps like this:
- We lay out the main stage (bowl), which can block the bunker with communications by half (the other half should be open to access the pond equipment),
- We lay out a few upper steps of smaller size to form a cascade,
- The lower stage is enclosed with a curb for water containment (by a threshold). Thresholds can be made from a concrete solution. In the future, they can be decorated with stones
- Concrete fencing lay out taking into account the discharge of water. In the planned places, the spout walls should be lowered by 2-3 cm (more is possible, their height is then compensated with a decorative cornice).
Iv. We make a spout for water
You can buy a finished bowl, but it will be much more economical to make a spout with your own hands. To do this, purchase a rectangular plastic pot; cut the grinder in its wall with a longitudinal window so that one side is not cut. Now twist the window out. Water will flow through it. To feed it, make a hole in the hose at the bottom of the pot.
V. We lay waterproofing thresholds
As in the case of the pool, the thresholds need to be insulated with two layers of cloth - agrofibre and waterproofing fabric. If you have left the film after the isolation of the pond, great! It can be used for waterfalls. The remaining pieces are glued and laid with overlapping curbs.
Vi. We form cornices of stones, which will flow water
To form the eaves of the waterfall, you will need: flat wide slabs of sandstone, about 30 mm thick, good mounting sealant, a Bulgarian with a diamond disc.
We will glue the plates on the waterproofing. It is very important not to make a fatal mistake when choosing a glue. You can not buy water-based glue, it will dissolve and wash off with water. Use a quality sealant that is resistant to water!
- Stones are laid on borders, starting from the bottom of the bowl on top of waterproofing. The joints are trimmed with a grinder for a reliable contact of the plates and getting a more even and high-quality surface,
- Use the level to level the surface of the plates, which will drain the water,
- Align stones with geotextile scraps of stones, putting them under the slabs,
- Extreme stones should be advanced by 5-10 cm and lowered slightly below the level (by 0.2-0.3 cm) so that the water jet does not rush under the plates, but flows in a beautiful cascade,
- Before gluing, the surface of the waterproofing sheet must be degreased using a sponge soaked in gasoline,
- Apply sealant on the bottom side of the plates even stripes and lay them on the steps. We press each of the top with a weighting agent (you can use a large stone),
- The edges of each tile and the joints between the tiles are well coated with sealant.
How to avoid common mistakes?
Error number 1. Does a waterfall look like a “liquid” stream? Most likely, your pump gives too weak pressure. Increase the water pressure and your waterfall will flow in a real cascade.
Error number 2. Does the water flow down under the stones, even after you have a powerful pressure? In such a situation, lower the plates slightly and push the plates forward. In addition, check the joints between the stones. Perhaps they are not sealed or the gaps are too large. This is where your water goes.
Error number 3. Water flows from the stones in one stream, not a cascade. Hence, the edge of the stone has a recess. The way out is to polish the edges of the stones, excluding the presence of curvatures using the rule and level. After the tight installation of stones, you need to wait 24 hours, and you can do a test run of our waterfall in the country with your own hands. If you are satisfied with the result, then you should complete the decor and start enjoying the pleasant and soothing sound of water.