Bringing a houseplant home, we expect to plant it in a beautiful pot, put it in a prominent place and admire it for several years in a row. And if the flower is exotic, for example, Hamedorea - care at home at first raises a lot of questions and turns into a real test. Where to put pots with bamboo palm? How to create normal conditions and keep the leaves fresh? So, the rules of maintenance and simple secrets from experienced flower growers.
A few words about the origin of Hamedorei
This flower with lush greenery is a welcome guest in the house of every grower, especially a lover of tropical plants. We see this sprawling beauty in offices, hotel lobbies, winter gardens and private homes. Hamedorea gives solidity to the interior, makes you admire the rich greenery and, most importantly, perfectly purifies the air from toxic benzene and formaldehyde (they are distinguished by furniture and building materials).
The thin leaves of Hamedorei with symmetrical veins resemble feathers, and the shape of the bush itself, along with the stem, resembles a vane. This flower culture comes from the subtropical forests of Central America. Under natural conditions, it grows exclusively in shaded areas and reaches a maximum of 5 m in height. Humid air for her - a real salvation.
In damp, shady places, Hamedorea acquires a special splendor, and the green becomes more saturated. Depending on the variety, it may have one or several small diameter trunks (up to 3 cm). In total, this flower culture is similar to bamboo, and the leaves collected above resemble a bouquet. Hamedorea houseplant has a similar structure: it differs only in size (grows up to 2 m).
These different types of Hamedorei
In the wild, this ornamental plant has up to 100 varieties and varieties. However, isolation is adequately tolerated only by certain types:
- Hamedorei Ernest – August. One of the rare species with a dense reed trunk, voluminous crown and bright red buds. Low-growing shrub, growing not more than 1 m tall. Its characteristic feature is short aerial roots at the node parts of the stem and leaves diverging at the ends that look like fish tails. With sufficient air humidity, hamedorea acquires a bright, saturated color. Therefore, to preserve its beauty, it is advisable to install a pot next to an aquarium, indoor fountain or other source of moisture. Or, alternatively, sprinkle herbs 2-4 times a day.
- Hamedorea is high. One of the most beautiful exotic species with a compact crown and a long stem (grows up to 3-5 m). It often and continuously blooms, including in artificially created conditions. The buds of this species have a bright orange shade, and the inflorescences resemble spikelets and a panicle.
- Hamedorea is elegant. One of the most undemanding in the care and hardy species with feather-shaped leaves and a thin bare trunk. This delicate bushy flower in normal home conditions grows up to 1.5 m. It blooms all year-round with small yellow flowers. (in order to save the strength of a young plant, some gardeners prune these shoots at the budding stage).
- Hamedorea monochrome. The most unpretentious and hardy look. It has a similar structure to the previous flower, the same delicate light green leaves and pale buds. Its reed stem is covered with internodes and remnants of dead leaves.
- Hamedorea Arenberg. A rare species with a single, thin stem not exceeding 2 m in height. Its large hanging leaves have the appearance of pinnate plates, the number of which on one branch is 12–15 pairs. Can grow in length by 30 cm.
Interesting facts from the "life" Hamedorei
This flower culture is a perennial that does not require much care. The only thing she needs for normal growth - the optimal level of humidity. Under decent conditions, the green of the palm tree with a lush hat will decorate the pot, and will delight for 10, 15 or more years. However, it is important to respect the measure. Excessively moistened soil threatens to rot the root, so do not fill it with plenty of water. Hamedorea blooms year-round, the first buds usually appear after 3 years from the beginning of planting.
Female subspecies of this plant differ in gentle, delicate aroma and bright orange buds. Males have a yellowish tinge and loose panicle inflorescences. If several kinds of Hamedorea are planted at the same time in a pot, they will bloom continuously. Very effectively it looks on the background of upholstered furniture, an aquarium, in the corner of the hall, living rooms and halls. With its luxurious greenery, a palm tree will decorate the window sills, looking west or east.
How to grow a healthy plant
Caring for Hamedorea at home does not require in-depth knowledge of floristics and any beginner grower can handle it. However, there are rules that everyone should know.
- The palm tree does not tolerate direct sun: when there is an excess of ultraviolet light, brown spots appear on the leaves. The best place for it is a shaded corner or a zone with diffused light. Tropical beauty feels good in the tub on a special stand. To maintain the correct symmetry of its stem, the plant is regularly turned with the other side to the light (1 time in 10 days).
- Hamedorea is a heat-loving shrub, so the optimum temperature for its growth is 18-25 degrees. In the summer, it is carried out to a balcony or terrace, after excluding drafts and direct sunlight.
- Palm can not live without moist air. It is possible to achieve optimal indicators for it in various ways: periodically spray the leaves, wipe them with a moistened sponge or turn on a humidifier. (More accurate figures can be found using a hygrometer).
- Watering the palm should be separated, better filtered water. Otherwise, absorbed chlorine and lime will appear on the green rusty spots. In order to avoid sunburn, a palm tree early in the morning or late in the evening.
- Hamedorei is propagated in three ways: by seed, by bush division, by transfer of basal processes. Each of them takes time and patience. After all, by itself it is a slow-growing flower and it is unlikely that it will work out for a quick result.
- As the soil for planting choose the finished mixture or mixed independently (clay-sod, peat, humus-sheet suspension, sand).
- For top dressing it is advisable to choose ready dry or liquid fertilizers. This should be done once every two weeks.
Hamedorei transplant is necessary in the case when the root has completely filled the cavity of the pot. For this purpose, the overgrown part is completely removed and transferred to a large capacity, not more often than 1 time in 3 years.
5 sure ways to avoid disease and death Hamedorei
It is not uncommon for Hamedorea to suddenly dry, become stained or become a tasty object for small pests. Other signs of lesions appear:
- crumbling bark
- fall buds, seeds,
- sticky sugary plaque appears.
There are several reasons for such consequences, and to avoid trouble, consider the following tips:
- monitor the level of humidity and frequency of irrigation,
- Do not allow acidification of soil and rotting of Hamedorei roots,
- eliminate sharp drops in air temperature,
- be attentive to newly transplanted young plants,
- ensure good soil drainage.
We are sure that these tips will help to avoid mistakes in the future, and it will be easy and comfortable to take care of hamedorea in normal home conditions.
Features care after purchase
The purchased plant is grown in special industrial conditions, very different from those in which Hamedorea will grow.
Experts are responsible for the appearance and care, so the plants in the stores are always in excellent healthy shape.
After the palm is experiencing transportation and adaptation to other conditions. It is important to make this stage as comfortable as possible.
- The first thing to do is to inspect the plant for diseases and pests. It is unlikely that the shop Hamedorea will be infected or ill, but still it does not interfere with making sure.
- Do not replant the palm tree during the first month. For a plant, this will be an additional stress, and it can become seriously ill. An exception can be, only if the brought soil has traces of a mold.
- Palm should be provided from the very first days with optimal lighting, air humidity and comfortable temperature.
- Also, the first month after purchase, the plant does not need feeding.
Here you can watch a video about the features of buying and caring for bamboo palm at home.
Depending on the subspecies of Hamedorea blooms yellow, orange and orange-red flowers. Flowering occurs regardless of the time of year.
How does Hamedorea bloom? Photo of a flowering houseplant.
Blooming Hamedorei: photos of flowers.
Hamedorea prefers shaded areas and quite does not tolerate direct sunlight. The best place in the house will be close to the window on the west or east side. It also grows well in the shade.
A pot with a palm tree should rotate once every two weeks to form a symmetrical crown.
Hamedorea is very heat-loving plant. The optimum temperature regime for it is 17–30 ° C. If the soil in the pot drops below 15 ° C, the roots may begin to rot.
Palm does not tolerate drafts and sudden temperature changes. In winter, heating devices should not be too close to her.
For Hamedorei high humidity is very importantotherwise its leaves begin to turn yellow and dry. To do this, it must be constantly sprayed with soft water in summer and springtime.
But do not do this in the winter, as this may trigger the development of fungal diseases.
In the heating seasonwhen the air becomes dry, you can put a small container of water next to the tub, in which the palm tree grows. You can also install a palm tree on a pallet with expanded clay, which you need to keep constantly wet.
When caring for this plant is important prevent excessive soil moisture. For normal and healthy growth, it is important to water when the land in the pot is completely dry. It is unacceptable to keep the soil of Hamedorei constantly wet. As a result, the leaves of the palm tree become yellow, and the stem at the base darkens.
Soil and soil
The most suitable substrate for Hamedorei is the soil mixture "Palma". The basis of soil for palm trees should be:
- Peat 1 part.
- Sand or perlite 1 part.
- Turf ground or clay 2 parts.
- Leaf humus 2 parts.
At the bottom of the pot you need to put the drainage in the form of fine expanded clay or brick chips.
Ready-made fertilizers for palm or indoor plants are suitable for top dressing. You can use drugs for dracaena or any other, which include a complete list of minerals.
Of all the types of palm trees, this one needs additional nutrition more than others. Very well, Hamedorea perceives granulated dressings of prolonged exposure.
This palm does not need special pruning of leaves to form a crown. She needs to remove dry and damaged leaves in time. This requires the following materials:
- Special garden shears.
- Isopropyl alcohol.
Pruner need sanitized with alcohol in order not to bring the infection to the site of the cut. After removing unnecessary leaves and stems, open wounds should be treated with a fungicidal agent.
Seasonal Care Calendar
March, April. Start of intense growth. Resumption of dressings, watering enhancement, transplanting.
May. With steady warm weather, a palm tree can be carried out into the air, and cleaned into the room at night.
June July. Intensive growth, reserve for the winter of nutrients. The implementation of abundant watering and feeding twice a month.
August. Continuing the application of mineral fertilizers.
September. A gradual decrease in the frequency of irrigation and fertilizing.
October. Palm goes smoothly into a state of rest. Watering infrequent.
Winter. Neat watering and termination of fertilizer before spring.
How to transplant Hamedorei? Hamedoreu transplanted if the palm roots have completely filled the pot space. This usually occurs within three years. The best time for transplanting is the beginning of spring.
Immediately after purchase the plant better not to touch about a month. We need to give it to adapt to new conditions.
During the transplant it's important to keep a whole clod of earth around the roots. To do this, the plant must be carefully shed. Then, holding the ground with your hand on both sides of the trunk, carefully remove the palm tree.
A new pot is selected for a size larger than the previous one. A layer of drainage and some soil mixture is poured at its bottom. The plant is carefully placed in a pot and covered with the remaining earth. After that, the transplanted plant should be put on a couple of days in a shaded place without watering, so that the roots go deeper into the soil.
More details about the transplant and not only described in the next video.
Khamenorrhea is well propagated by cuttings and seeds. But seed breeding is an easier way.
- Seeds are soaked for 5 days in warm water.
- If the seeds do not undergo scarification, then this must be done artificially, destroying the hard shell with an abrasive material.
- Seeds are planted in prepared disposable cups with holes made in them.
- In one cup they plant one seed, not filling it with earth, but only pressing it into the soil.
- Before the emergence of seedlings, the substrate with seeds must be covered with plastic wrap.
- Once a day to open a film for airing.
Germination period Lasts a long time, from 7 to 9 months. With the appearance of 3-4 true leaves, the plant can be transplanted to a permanent place.
Dividing bush also a fairly simple way of breeding Hamedorei at home. May is the best time for this breeding method.
To do this, remove the adult plant from the pot. Under a stream of warm water to wash the ground from the roots and then divided into individual stems.
And here you will read about Hamedorei’s diseases.
Benefit and harm
It is believed that Hamedorea, being constantly indoors, neutralizes harmful substancesthat are present in the air. This plant contributes to the revitalization of vital energy and recuperation.
Caring for Hamedorea does not cause any trouble to its owner. The most important thing provide it with the necessary humidity and then it will grow and please the eye with its healthy leaves and flowers.
Such a beautiful palm tree can be grown at home if you follow the rules of care.
Palma hamedorea - description
Hamedorea is a deciduous plant. It is because of the beautiful feathery leaves and this palm tree is grown at home. Hamedorea flowers are devoid of brightness and decorativeness and are interesting only because they can bloom at any time of the year. They are small, slightly velvety, bright yellow colors, appear on the peduncle in random order along its entire length.
Many growers generally recommend removing flowers at the budding stage so as not to weaken the plant with flowering. What else needs to be considered if you decide to grow Hamedorea at home? Prepare for the fact that this palm tree is slowly growing, however, like other palm trees, especially for those that grow from seeds: a seedling spits up for an incredibly long time - it can “sit” motionless in the ground for more than six months. Well and most importantly, you need to know before you plant or buy Hamedorei: she likes very humid air.
Types and varieties
Hamedorea belongs to the palm family. In nature, you can meet in tropical forests of South America, Mexico. It grows in the foothills, for which she received another name - Mountain Palm. It can grow in the form of a tree or a bush, some species - creepers. The height of any of them does not exceed 5 m, in room conditions the Hamedorea palm is much lower, only some species grow to the ceiling. For the year, this graceful plant can grow no more than 2 beautiful feathery leaves. From one rhizome can grow several trunks, so the bamboo palm tree often looks like a bush. It grows slowly and reaches its maximum size soon.
Hamedorea is able to bloom in the room and even produce black fruits, each of which has only one seed, but this will require a male plant, since this palm tree is dioecious. You can plant plants of different sexes in one pot, or put two pots with different-sex palm trees side by side, then there will be no problems with pollination. In nature, pollinated by insects. In the room this role will have to take on the florist. In practice, most gardeners remove flower stalks: the flowering of bamboo palm greatly depletes the plant. Small balls of yellow or reddish flowers in male specimens are collected in small inflorescences, reminiscent of mimosa, women's single flowers, orange in color have a scent.
In room culture, out of 130 species, only a few are grown.
- Hamedorea is elegant, известна также под названиями Хамедорея элеганс, Коллиния изящная, Неанта прекрасная. Максимальная высота растения – 2 м. От одного корневища может отрасти до 7 стеблей диаметром до 3,5 см. Each of them is decorated with arcuate curved fronds on long petioles from 40 cm to 1 m long, carrying up to 14 pairs of linear leaflets. In their sinuses appear inflorescences of yellow flowers with a pleasant aroma. This type of mountain palm blooms already in 3-4 year. Among all types of bamboo palm, Hamedorea elegans is the most unpretentious, apparently for this reason it is so popular with gardeners.
- Hamedorea Bridble - A hybrid based on the previous species. It is no less popular than elegant. They have few differences: the height of the plant is only 1.5 m, flowers and inflorescences are slightly larger, brighter and more fragrant.
- Hamedorea is high. Justifies its name - can grow to 3 meters or more. Its stems are more similar to bamboo than in other species: each fallen leaf forms a kind of joint on the plant, hence the similarity. The trunk of this palm can be up to 10 or more.
- Hamedorea monochrome It looks like a graceful, but internodes are longer, and the leaves are thinner and longer, they have a salad color. This palm tree has a lot. It blooms very late - in the 70th year. Differs unpretentiousness.
- Hamedorea cascade, which is sometimes called cat palm. It grows numerous trunks with thin leaves of dark green color. In culture, capricious than other species.
- Hamedorea stolononosnaya. Low shrub palm, giving a lot of thin shoots with medium-sized leaves. It can give aerial roots, which facilitates its reproduction.
- Hamedorei Ernest-August. Also forms aerial roots, they are located at almost every base of the internode. The leaf shape is not similar to that of other types of mountain palm trees: they are solid, but deeply dissected in the middle, therefore they resemble the heart. These "hearts" can grow in length to 60 cm, and in width - up to 25.
- Hamedorea metal. Rarely found on sale. The plant is very beautiful due to the dark green foliage, which seems almost black. In the sun, the leaves shine like polished silver. Their shape is heart-shaped, as in the previous species, but smaller in size. The trunk of this palm tree is unique, with time it will woody.
Location and lighting
Indoor palm trees should not stand in a completely dark corner or in direct sunlight. Lighting should be moderate (you can use a place in the penumbra). From the correct lighting will depend on the appearance of Hamedorei. Bright sunshine "burn out" the leaves, make them not attractive.
Since hamedorea grows to a decent size and takes up a lot of space, choose a place for the plant in the corner of the room (near the window openings) or in the pier between the windows. In such a place it will look great and will not interfere with others. This unpretentious plant can grow well with artificial light.
When choosing a place for Hamedorei, it is worth remembering that a sharp change of high and low temperatures will negatively affect the condition of the palm tree. It should be in a place where there will be no cold drafts.
In the warm season, the room needs to be ventilated, and it is better to take the plant out to the veranda or balcony so that it can enjoy the fresh air.
Fertilizers and fertilizers
Feeding Hamedorei palm are needed only in the period of active growth - from April to September. At this time, you need to twice a month to apply fertilizer specifically designed for palm trees or any complex mineral fertilizer.
Some growers recommend transplanting hamedorea depending on its age: young plants every year, and adults every three years. Professionals with extensive experience and experience still offer to do Hamedorei transplant only if necessary.
Such a need may be the growth and development of the plant. If the palm becomes crowded in a small flower pot, then you need to transfer it to a large container. With age, the plant will need to transplant in a real tub or keg. It is quite difficult to transplant an adult plant: it becomes heavy in weight and too bulky. In such cases, try to replace the transplant with an update of the upper layer of the soil.
The acute need to transplant palm trees will be the presence of a disease or a large number of pests, as well as acidification of the soil. If the situation is not critical, then the best time for this process is the first month of spring, when active plant growth has not yet begun.
Hamedorea can multiply as a seed method, and vegetatively. Her seeds are rapidly losing their germination. Within six months after harvest, only a third of the plants can ascend. If you are lucky enough to get your seeds, which is rarely possible in room culture, you need to sow them right away, removing the pulp and soaking it for a week in water with a constant temperature of about 30 degrees, you can dissolve the Zircon immunostimulator in it. Seeds require scarification - damage to the hard shell, during planting the damaged area should be below. Arrange the seeds in separate pots filled with a mixture of peat and sand superficially, not falling asleep with soil, but pressing them 1 cm. A plastic bag is put on each cup.
- humidity - 100%,
- always wet soil
- temperature from 30 to 32 degrees, both air and soil,
- daily airing for a few minutes.
Sometimes shoots have to wait up to a year. As soon as the first leaf reaches a length of 4 cm, the plant needs to be transplanted into a new pot with a nutrient mixture of 2 parts of turf soil and sand and 1 part of humus and leaf soil. After another 4 months, the palm tree is transplanted again, now into the soil intended for adult plants.
When breeding by dividing a bush, there is always a chance that the plant will not take root, because without exposing the root system, the bushes are not divided, and Hamedorea does not like it very much.
But if there is still a desire to get new plants by dividing it is necessary to do the following:
- it is more convenient to combine the division with a transplant, spending it in early spring,
- the palm tree is taken out of the pot, the ground is completely shaken off, the roots are washed,
- remove all defective roots: dried, rotten, cut them to the healthy part,
- they disassemble a palm tree into separate plants; if a stem has no roots, then its chances of surviving are zero,
- 4 to 5 layers are planted in each pot,
- taking care of them is the same as usual, but more thorough; young plants need a higher temperature - about 30 degrees, and air humidity not less than 85%; they need to be sprayed at least 3 times a day.
If after a month and a half the plant has not died, the next transplant can be done no earlier than six months.
Diseases and pests
If you break the rules of care with hamedorrhea, there can be a number of problems. Dry tips of the foliage indicate too dry air. Yellowing on the leaves appears when placed in direct sunlight or when watered with hard water. When the roots decay, the plant begins to wilt, wither and perish. In this case, it is necessary to cut rotten roots and transplant to new soil, not forgetting the drainage, it is also important to normalize watering. Darkening and brown spots on foliage are formed from excess moisture or from too low temperatures, it can also occur due to watering with hard water. At low temperatures, the foliage turns black and wilts. The lower leaves with aging themselves begin to fade and fall off. There is nothing terrible in it, and when they lose their decorative appearance, they can be trimmed.
When kept in too dry air, a spider mite may appear, which makes itself known by yellow spots on foliage and thin spider webs. To get rid of the pest, you can wash the plant with soapy water or spray it with onion peel. If there are a lot of pests, it is better to resort to insecticide. A shield can be identified by brown growths on foliage.
It is difficult to remove them, but simple spraying with preparations will help weakly, therefore it is necessary to moisten the cloth with an insecticide and tear off the shields manually. Mealybug leaves white cotton-like bloom. The pest can be collected manually, but it will only help at the initial stage, and in the future it will be necessary to resort to chemical preparations. Among insecticides can be distinguished Actellic, which copes well with all the above pests. One has only to note that in case of a massive defeat, it may be necessary to re-process it in a week.
Why does Hamedorea dry, leaves turn yellow?
The cause of the disease state of the plant is improper care. If the leaves turn yellow after transplanting - this is a temporary phenomenon. The lower leaves of a palm tree turn yellow and die off - a natural process of changing the leaf apparatus.
If the leaves dry out massively - the air has low humidity, if only the tips dry up - you need to reduce watering. The same measures are taken if the plant looks sluggish, and the leaves turn black and die. It will be useful to check the roots for rot.
Dry brown spots - traces of sunburn, you need to adjust the light.
Palm trees are very fond of cats. The plant is protected by sprinkling with lemon juice. You can put in a pot a few lemon peels, which change over time.
Types of Hamedorei
Hamedorea (Neanta) - is a flowering plant, widely known as a houseplant. Bamboo palm in the wild is found in the expanses of South and Central America and can reach a height of 5 meters. At home, it does not grow above two meters, for which she fell in love with gardeners. In addition, Hamedorea has an elegant attractive appearance and has a number of useful properties, which makes it a favorite of many people.
It cleans the air from the content of various chemical impurities, which can often be filled room. It is noteworthy that neutralizes the harmful substances of the plant with the help of leaves and root system. The reed palm, as it is also called Hamedorea, has a thin-stem structure. The leaves are arcuate and, depending on the species, can be dissected into several elements and pinnate. Hamedorea blooms even at home - in the photo you can see what kind of flowers are. When flowering ends, black berries are formed.
In the wild, there are more than a hundred varieties of bamboo palm, but at home only a few of them grow. The description of the most popular and their photos are given below, but in the collections of lovers you can find its rare species:
Chamaedorea elegans is a type that can often be found in magazines and interiors. Hamedorea elegans differs in that it does not have a central trunk, but consists of a rosette of leaves. The stems of the plant are thin and topped with feathery leaves. The bamboo palm of the genus Elegance begins to bloom at an early age with beautiful yellow flowers, gathered in a panicle with a delicate aroma. With artificial pollination, they are able to bear fruit.
Few know that Neant is beautiful is another name that Hamedorea Elegance bears. It grows short, which is very suitable for breeding at home. Neant is so unpretentious that feels great even on the north window. Initially, the trunks of the plant are green, but over time they become brown in color.
Chamaedorea Ernesti-Augusti - a rare species, which is a houseplant with a trunk, at the top of which grows a small amount of leaves. The leaves have a shape similar to the shape of the heart - whole, and split at the ends. There are 8-10 pieces per flower, and in size they can reach 60 cm in length and 25 in width. Flowering palm Hamedorei Ernest-August inflorescences bright red color. A distinctive feature is aerial roots, which help the plant to multiply without much effort.
The most durable type that does not require special care is Chamaedorea pinnatifrons. It blooms in yellow and looks similar to Hamedorea graceful, but has some differences:
- leaves are thinner and longer
- internodes lengthened.
How to care for Hamedorea at home
Although the plant is exotic, caring for Hamedorea does not imply special knowledge and skills. Just enough to follow certain rules. Decorative flower has a decent size. Some plants can reach 2 meters, such as Hamedorea high (Chamaedorea elatior). The location for their placement must be chosen thoroughly, so that the flower will not become a hindrance to either the owners or the guests.
The best option for the plant will be the corner of the room, and the choice is preferable to give the place next to the window. It is worth knowing that Hamedorei is not demanding of himself. Although caring for a plant is simple, it means adherence to several rules that should be discussed in more detail. If you create an optimal environment that is close to the natural conditions, then the flower will delight the host for a long time.
Lighting and air temperature
Standard room temperature is acceptable for growing Hamedorei, the only thing that should not be allowed is a sharp temperature difference. If this happens gradually, then nothing terrible will happen. In summer, a temperature of 20-25 ° C is optimal for a flower. If possible, it is recommended to take the plant to the open air. For this perfect garden or even a balcony. On the street you should avoid drafts that Hamedorea does not like. In winter, it is advised to lower the temperature to 18 ° C.
Palm lighting is another important aspect of growing it. All species cultivated in the home, do not like the direct rays of the sun. They must be avoided, otherwise Hamedorea can get burned. They like both illuminated and shaded corners, but the moderate illumination is still optimal for them. It should be remembered that the appearance of Hamedorei directly depends on how well the quality and properly equipped lighting.
How to water Hamedorey
Proper care of chlamydorea is the selection of water for irrigation. Warm and defended water is ideal. The plant though is moisture-loving, it is impossible to overdo it in this matter. In summer, Hamedorei should be watered regularly, but the amount of water should be moderate.
Check the need for moisture is easy: if the topsoil is dry, then you need to water the plant. In winter, the flow of water must be reduced, and the earth in the pot should dry out by 3 cm, no less. Excess moisture is not the best effect on the plant and can cause rotting of the roots. Having watered a plant, in 10-15 minutes it is necessary to pour out excess water from the pallet.
A bit of history
Hamedorea is from Central and North South America. The main growth environment of the forest is in the tropics and at the foot of the mountains, under the shade of their higher peers. Its second name is mountain palm. The local population uses flowers of some species, like vegetables for salad.
This undersized plant at home rarely grows above 150 cm. In its homeland it can reach up to 5 meters. It grows even in the form of creepers. It has more than 100 varieties.
- Hamedorea is high,
- Hamedorea is elegant,
- Hamedorea monochrome,
- Hamedorei Ernest-August,
These are the varieties that are usually grown at home. The last two species can not be found on sale, you can only find them from collectors.
Hamedorea graceful - feathery sheets, inconspicuous yellow flowers, the plant will bloom, but will not bear fruit at home.
Hamedorea is a high-flowering plant, each with new trunks. The flowers are like a panicle, the leaves are arched.
Ernest-Augusta leaves are wider, while in metallic they have a pronounced silvery shade.
All Hamedorei are male or female, respectively, for setting fruit, its flowers must be pollinated. The difference is noticeable to the naked eye: male flowers have a more branchy structure.
Care for hamedorea at home
So, how to care for hamedorea? Florist, who decided to start a palm tree at home, should immediately understand that this plant is not our latitude. That is, the conditions for it will have to be created artificially, and if you ignore these specific requirements, then with such difficulty the grown beauty can die or lose its decorative appearance in a matter of days.
Lighting and temperature.
Maybe someone will decide that the palm tree is a lover of the sun, heat and light. This is not quite true: in tropical forests, it is located at medium levels of height, therefore it is illuminated by diffuse sunlight, and at home Hamedorea should stand in partial shade. Since the plant is rather large, find an angle opposite the southern or eastern window for it, so that the sun's rays illuminate the plant, but do not burn its leaves.
In summer, Hamedoree requires shading in the period from 10 to 17 hours.
Rotate the pot with the plant around the axis so that the leaves grow in different directions.
As for the need of a palm tree in high temperature, it is true, Hamedorea really loves heat. Температура грунта зимой не должна опускаться ниже 16°C, иначе корни будут болеть, и растение погибнет. В летнее время оптимальная температура для хамедореи – 18-27°C, хотя если будет теплее, хамедорея на вас не обидится.
Это, пожалуй, самый важный момент в уходе за хамедореей. Это растение очень любит влажный воздух. Spraying is an obligatory procedure for caring for this flower, from which you are exempt only in the winter period, and then if the room is cool, but if the air in your house is very dry, you will have to spray it in the winter.
For spraying you need to take clean settled warm water. In the summer it is better to collect rain, which is used for irrigation and spraying.
It is advisable to put a container with water next to the flower, which will constantly evaporate. And if you are the owner of several palm trees, you will have to buy a humidifier.
Watering is also an important part of the care for hamedorea, and the main task is not to overwet the soil. In general, I noticed that tropical plants prefer moist air, but not wet soil. If they are watered without measure, their roots will rot, so the frequency of watering for the palm tree Hamedorea is determined as the top layer of the soil dries out. And in winter it is better to even wait for the earthen coma to dry 3-4 cm deep. Do not let water stagnate in the pot. If this happens, the plant will die. And the first symptom of stagnation of water in the pot is an unpleasant, rotten smell from the substrate, darkening of the stem at the base and yellowing of the leaves. But make no mistake: the dry tips of the leaves are a sign of insufficient air humidity.
Top dressing Hamedorei.
Fertilizing Hamedoreu need from April to August - the entire active growing season. Frequency - 1-2 times per month. You need to use only specialized mineral fertilizers, it is better in the form of granules, but also suitable solutions. This is what I would not feed palms, so this is our folk fertilizer: after all, Hamedorea is an exotic plant.
Soil for palm trees and transplant Hamedorei.
Replant room palm need as often as dictated by the intensity of growth. Young plants grow faster in size, so they often need to be transplanted from a smaller pot to a larger one. It is best to transplant Hamedorea for the first time in a year, and the next time in two years. Later, when Hamedorea reaches an impressive size, she will need a transplant no more than once every 3-4 years. A very large palm cannot be disturbed at all, so as not to damage it. It is necessary only once a year to pour into the pot a new earthen mixture.
A newly purchased plant must be transplanted from a temporary pot to a permanent one, and it is desirable to do this as quickly as possible. Transplantation should be carried out by the method of transshipment, that is, as much as possible keeping an earthen ball on the roots.
When it is time to transplant hamedorea, worry to purchase a suitable land mixture. Its composition may be approximately as follows: turf ground (2 parts), humus (2 parts), peat (2 parts), perlite (2 parts). It is better to sterilize the humus and turf ground. Many do it simply in the microwave, placing in a tight bag. After this we will have to air the room, but the unpleasant smell will disappear quickly.
So that your hamedorea does not resemble a careless broom, you sometimes have to be a hairdresser for it: cut off sick, damaged and dried leaves. This should be done as close as possible to their base, so that a fungal or bacterial infection does not spread. From the same considerations, shears for cutting leaves are rubbed with alcohol. After the procedure, it is necessary to treat the cut sites of the plant with fungicides.
Most often, Hamedorea suffers from spider mites and mealybugs, which appear in case of insufficient humidity of the air in the room, as well as leaf spot and pink rot in the case of overmoistening of the soil.
Preventive measures: humidify the air in time, and do not fill the ground. The treatment consists in double treatment of the plant with fungicides with an interval of a week. You can get rid of spider mites with insecticide treatment by holding it twice with an interval of seven days.
If you are going to grow a palm tree at home, be sure to learn the rules of its agricultural technology, and then there will be no problems with taking care of hamedorea at home. Strictly following the rules of caring for a plant, you take care of it, and the plant will surely show its appreciation, proudly demonstrating to everyone its health and beauty.
Basics of plant maintenance
When buying or receiving Hamedorea as a gift, every beginning grower wonders where to put the purchase so as not to ruin it at the root.
Palma Hamedorea has no special accommodation needs. It is ideal for keeping in an apartment or house. Conducting its kind from shady tropical forests, the plant does not require special lighting. Easily tolerates shading. And it is extremely disliked by direct sunlight, “burns” can appear on the leaves, especially when getting under direct sunlight from 10 to 17 o'clock. Therefore, the palm is better to put between the windows, or on the west side. It is problematic to achieve uniform illumination inside the room, so it is advisable to unfold a palm tree once a month so that the leaves grow the same.
The tree is quietly related to artificial light. The main thing is to provide him with a full fourteen hour light day.
Watering and feeding
Palm hamedorea home care includes proper watering and fertilizing. It would seem that the more the better, but it is not recommended to overfill it, they can rot the roots and the plant will die. This is one of the most frequent reasons. The main signs of transfusion are the lethargy of the leaves, the rotten smell from the flowerpot, the stem that darkens below. Palm should be watered when the topsoil dries out, in winter you need to wait until the soil dries out a few centimeters. But the drying of the soil, too, should not be allowed.
To make the plant feel comfortable, from the beginning of spring to the end of summer, feed it every two weeks. To do this, purchase slightly soluble mineral fertilizers. Liquid feeding is not suitable, because Hamedorea does not like very wet soil. To stimulate the growth of hardwood mass, every two months the plant is fed with fertilizers with a high nitrogen content.
Most of the plants that can be purchased in the flower shop, do not live long. In the case of Hamedorea, there are several palm trees in one pot; over time, they begin to interfere with each other. Therefore, when signs appear, the oppression of some sprouts by others requires plant transplantation. Just purchased a palm tree, preferably immediately transplanted or transplanted into new containers.
Another factor in the need for transplanting a palm tree can be a plant disease or the appearance of harmful insects in the ground, rotting of the root system.
As it develops, the root system of the tree ceases to fit in the pot, a large container is required. But if the pot is too large, the plant will not take root.
If an urgent transplant is not required, then it is better to transplant the plant in April. Once again, the plant is better not to disturb.
The procedure is as follows:
- Soil is being prepared. You can purchase specialized soil for palm trees. But most gardeners prefer their own cooking mixes. For example: in equal parts mixed with humus, peat, turf ground and perlite, you can add half the proportion of sand.
- Preparing a new pot.
- Since it is difficult to transplant the adult palm, it is recommended to fill the new soil in the pot.
- A layer of small pebbles is placed on the bottom of a new tank for a plant to provide air access to the root system and remove excess fluid. To prevent rotting, add charcoal.
- If the plant is transferred to another container because of a disease or pests, the root system needs to be washed and cut off sore (rotten) places. In other cases, the roots should not be touched.
- One of the methods of transplantation is called transshipment: the plant is taken from its former container with a clod of earth and placed in another pot. Then it is covered with new soil.
- When a full transplant is made, the root system is completely freed from the old soil.
- The depth of landing should be the same as before.
If the palm is an adult, then it can be disturbed no more than once every 3 years, the young plant should be transplanted annually.
Video "Transplant of a palm tree Hamedorei"
If you have Hamedorea, care for it consists in forming the crown of a plant and pruning leaves that are damaged or sick.
Secateurs or scissors are smeared with alcohol, leaves are removed brown, dry or those that have visible damage. The cut points are treated with a fungicide to prevent infections from entering.
What can prevent a palm tree from growing: diseases and pests
Like any other plant, a tree may be sick or get harmful insects. Each manifestation causes certain symptoms.
- Palm leaves may look weak. One of the reasons is settling in the leaves of aphids. The best way is to remove insects with your hands, but it may not help, then it is necessary to spray the plant with insecticide.
- One of the worst enemies of the leaves of a tree is the spider mite. The pest appears as yellow specks on the outside of the leaves, and on the inside of the cobweb. It starts up if the palm tree is at the heating devices or at low humidity. Prevention is wiping the leaves with water and constant inspection. If the plant is sick, it must be placed in quarantine, remove infected leaves. Then take a teaspoon of sunflower oil and the same amount of dishwashing detergent, dilute in 2 liters of water and wipe all the leaves of the palm tree. It is imperative to monitor the humidity of the air and regularly spray the tree.
- Mealy worm causes whitish spots. It feeds on plant sap and slows growth. It is removed with a cotton swab, which is impregnated with methyl alcohol.
- From infestation by fungus palm leaves can become covered with brown or black specks. The plant must be held under running water and ventilated for some time outdoors.
- In case of insufficient watering or when using tap water containing chlorine or fluorine, the leaves at the edges may become brown. Scissors must be cut off faded places, process fungicide. Palm required to pour distilled water.
- If Hamedoree lacks potassium, manganese or magnesium, its leaves are covered with yellow spots. Requires plant nutrition. Once a week, magnesium sulfate is added to the water for irrigation.
- If the leaves turn yellow entirely, then sunburn is likely. Fertilizers are needed that contain iron, moving the plant in the shade and spraying the leaves.
- If watering is too ample, the water stagnates in the pot, then the roots of the plant may rot.
- Do not worry if the lower leaves darken and fall off - this is due to growing plants and the formation of the trunk.
In most cases, all diseases manifest themselves as consequences of improper tree care.
Palm hamedorea home care is quite simple, it is completely unpretentious, unlike other indoor plants. If you follow the basic rules of plant maintenance, the palm tree will respond with healthy greens, and for a long time will decorate the interior of the house.
Hamedorea home care
As an exotic plant, Hamedorea requires knowledge of its care features. When buying a flower in a pot, make sure that it is clean from pests, and there are no webs and leaves on the foliage.
You can grow this palm in almost any light - it will feel good in strong light and in the shade, as long as the light is diffused, because the direct rays of the sun cause burns.
In summer, the temperature of growing must be around 22-26 ° С. In winter, the level of the thermometer should be lowered to 13-15 ° C. But remember that sudden changes in temperature are harmful for this culture, so it must be protected from drafts.
The date palm is also a representative of the Palm family, is grown for care at home and also needs to follow all the content rules. Recommendations for growing and caring for this room palm tree can be found in this article.
During active growth, the plant must be constantly watered. The hotter the room, the more often you need watering. At the same time, they are guided by the drying of the top layer of the soil - when it dries out, watering is carried out, it is impossible to allow strong drying or complete drying.
Also stagnant water is harmful, as it causes decay, so it’s better to forget to water once rather than pour. Water the flower should be soft settled with warm water, with a temperature not lower than room temperature. In winter, watering should be no more than once every 7 days.
Hamedorea loves high humidity. It needs to be sprayed a couple of times a day, and when there is an opportunity to wash under a warm shower.
Soil for Hamedorei
This culture likes heavy soils with a weak acid reaction. The substrate for it can be made from hardwood and sod land, peat and sand in a ratio of 1: 3: 1: 1.
You can also buy special soil for palm trees and mix it with charcoal. At the bottom of the pot should be put drainage of broken bricks or expanded clay.
It is difficult to find exact information about transplants. Different flower growers differ in opinions from “repot when there is a need for it”, to “not repot”. This palm tree grows better in a cramped pot, so while it is young it can be transplanted annually.
When the transplant is difficult, it will be enough to replace the upper ball of the soil, and the transplant can be done when the roots completely fill the tub and climb through the drainage holes.
Fertilizer for Hamedorei
During the growing season, namely from spring to October, Hamedorey is fertilized. Once for 15 days they apply liquid fertilizer for palm trees in full concentration or for decorative leafy plants with half the norm.
Hamedorea is often appreciated for the fact that it can bloom in indoor conditions, although in general its flowering is not highly decorative. It is worth noting that flowering usually begins 3 years after planting.
It happens that young or weak individuals after flowering stop growing due to exhaustion, but, as a rule, after the next feeding, everything returns to normal.
Hamedorea seed growing
Hamedorea can be propagated by seed, offspring and, as it is not surprising for a palm tree, by dividing a bush.
The problem of seed reproduction is that it is dioecious and pollination is a big problem. Yes, and to achieve seedlings in the presence of seed material is also not easy.
Seeds deepen by 1 cm and germinated in the greenhouse at 26-27 ° C. It is very important that the temperature and humidity always remain high, otherwise the material may not germinate. Usually shoots appear after a month and a half after planting.
If you break the rules of care with Hamedorea, there can be a number of problems.
- Dry tips of foliage indicate too dry air.
- Yellowing on the leaves appears when placed in direct sunlight or when watered with hard water.
- With root decay the plant begins to wilck, wither and perish. In this case, it is necessary to cut rotten roots and transplant to new soil, not forgetting the drainage, it is also important to normalize watering.
- Darkening and brown spots on foliage formed from excess moisture or from too low temperatures, it can also occur due to watering with hard water.
- At low temperature foliage turns black and wilts.
- Bottom leaves with aging themselves begin to fade and fall. There is nothing terrible in it, and when they lose their decorative appearance, they can be trimmed.
If kept too dry, air may appear. spider mitewhich makes itself felt yellow spots on the foliage and thin spiderwebs. To get rid of the pest, you can wash the plant with soapy water or spray it with onion peel. If there are a lot of pests, it is better to resort to insecticide.
Shchitovku can be determined by brown growths on foliage. It is difficult to remove them, but simple spraying with preparations will help weakly, therefore it is necessary to moisten the cloth with an insecticide and tear off the shields manually.
Mealybug leaves white vatoobrazny plaque. The pest can be collected manually, but it will only help at the initial stage, and in the future it will be necessary to resort to chemical preparations.
Among insecticides can be distinguished Actellic, which copes well with all the above pests. One has only to note that in case of a massive defeat, it may be necessary to re-process it in a week.