Kohleria (lat. Kohleria) is a herbaceous perennial that is grown as an ornamental houseplant. Homeland - tropical regions of South and Central America. The Kohleria Regel genus includes more than 65 species and is a member of the Gesneriaceae family.
The plant has an ovate-oblong leaves with a kohery plant, crenate along the edges, soft in texture, covered with pubescence, the leaf plate is 12-15 cm long, about 8 cm wide. The leaves are dark green (seemingly black) with reddish veins or olive-green with a central vein of a lighter tone, a thick nap may be white or reddish. Hybrids can have a silver or even bronze color of leaves.
Flowering is long and abundant. On the axillary peduncle flowers are arranged singly or 2-3 pieces. They have a bell-shaped form, the length of the tube is about 5 cm, the neck of the rim is narrowed, and by the end - slightly swollen. Flowers of some species resemble thimbles. Zev wide open, consists of 5 blunt lobes, decorated with dots, specks, strokes.
Natural species can have a varied color: orange-red with a yellow throat speckled in a dark red color, a pink corolla with a white mouth, covered with a dark pink speck, chestnut-brown corolla with white specks, a white mouth with a pink-tinted pattern and etc. Hybrid forms add fuchsia, cherry, amethyst, golden, green shades, and even brindle color.
Despite the original appearance, long flowering and fairly simple care, the plant is not very common among gardeners.
Lighting and site selection
Unlike other members of the Gesneriaceae family, kolery is less demanding on air temperature and humidity levels - normal room conditions will do.
Pick up a hidden place for a plant without drafts.
The plant is light-requiring, but do not allow overheating from direct sunlight, especially watch this on hot summer days. If during the rest period the kolery did not shed the leaves, good lighting would be required.
Temperature and watering
Maintain temperature in the range of 20-25 ° C. In a period of rest, decrease to 15-17 ° C.
During the period of active growth and flowering (spring-autumn) water moderately. Maintain balance: do not overwet, but do not let the earthy coma dry out. With the onset of winter watering is minimized. When the aboveground part has died, it is enough to periodically slightly moisten the soil, so that the root system does not dry out.
Koleriya is adapted to dry air, but as a resident of the tropics loves moisture. Do not allow water to fall on the velvet leaves of the plant: spray the space around the flower, you can periodically place the plant pot on a tray with wet clay, moss.
Water for spraying and watering must be softened (defend at least during the day), room temperature.
During the period of active flowering (April-August) it is necessary to feed with fertilizers for ornamental flowering plants. Feed every week.
The period of rest and transplanting a riza in early spring
In winter, there is a period of rest: the above-ground part dies away. It is necessary to place the plant with a dry cool place, periodically moisten the earthy lump so that the earth does not dry out. In the spring, transplant with a rhizome (rootlets).
For planting use small bowls. Be sure to lay a drainage layer on the bottom of the tank.
Suitable universal substrate, if possible, prepare the following mixture: leaf, sod land, peat, sand in a ratio of 2: 1: 0.5: 0.5.
Formation of crown kolerii
To bush was lush and densely leafy, you should pinch the tops of the shoots in time, stimulating the growth of lateral shoots. Begin with a central shoot: scissors cut a growth point over a 6-8 leaf.
In this case, axillary shoots will begin to actively develop, they are treated in the same way: they cut off the tops over the 6-8 leaf, maybe over 3-4 meters. Such pinching will keep a compact bush with magnificent leaves and twigs.
If you do not pinch the colony, it will grow in one trunk, the view will remain completely unattractive: the plant will stretch out, and in many cases the colony may even lie, ugly hanging from a pot.
Growing from seed
Seedling seedling photo
To obtain seeds, it is necessary to conduct cross-pollination. Sow them in the spring in a peat-sand mixture. Moisten the soil, spread the seeds over the surface without deepening. Cover the crops with a transparent film or glass and place in a bright, warm place. Expect shoots of 2-2.5 weeks. Periodically air the greenhouse. With the advent of 2 true leaves, dive down the plants and spread out in separate pots.
Reproduction by root division
Rhizomes of how to divide the photo
The division of the root is carried out in the spring during transplantation. Take the plant out of the pot, disinfect the knife and divide the rhizome into pieces. Treat the sections with a fungicide. Plant roots in separate containers, deepening by 1.5 cm. Water periodically and the plant will give new shoots.
Diseases and pests, deficiencies in care
Gray bloom on the leaves indicates a fungal infection. This usually happens because of an excess of moisture in the air and the ground. It is necessary to remove the affected areas, carry out the treatment with a fungicide.
If the leaves and shoots dry, are deformed - this indicates damage by pests (aphid, spider mite). Treat with insecticides.
- Be careful: the leaves of the plant are fragile, easily broken under mechanical action.
- When water gets on the leaves, spots appear, then the sheet dries and falls.
- When excessive watering appears rot.
- Under the influence of direct sunlight or from excess nutrients the leaves turn pale, covered with yellow spots.
- Leaves curl when there is a lack of air humidity.
- If the plant does not shed its leaves for the winter, they may wither due to lack of lighting - resort to using fitolamps.
- The reasons for the lack of flowering can be: insufficient lighting, dry air, waterlogging of the soil, lack of nutrients, increased or decreased air temperature during the period of rest.
Kohleria digitaliflora photos
Shoots of plants reach a height of 80 cm, with age, they become lodging. The leaves are oblong-ovate in shape oppositely, are 12-15 cm long, about 8 cm wide. The color of the leaves is light green. Corolla tube is pulled out by 3-5 cm in length. Wide open limb consists of 5 lobes, the upper lobes have a yellowish-green color, the lower 2 lobes are dark crimson. The plant is completely (leaves, shoots, flowers) covered with white hairs.
Kohleria amabilis pleasant
Kolery Pleasant Kohleria amabilis photo
Bush height is about 40 cm. The leaves are wide, ovate, have a silver-green color with streaks of brown-purple hue. Tubular beaters of a length of 2 cm are painted in a bright pink color, the limb is decorated with specks of crimson hue.
Kohleria eriantha fluffy flower
Kohleria eriantha fluffy-flowered photo
Height reaches half a meter. Dark green leaves are covered with a fluff of a reddish tinge, passing along the veins and edges. The length of the corolla is 5 cm, it has an orange-red color, the lower lobes of the limb are covered with specks of yellow.
Kohleria bogotensis, Kohleria amabilis var. Bogotensis
Kohleria bogotensis, Kohleria amabilis var. Bogotensis photo
It reaches a height of 60 cm, leaf length is about 10 cm. The color of the leaf plates can be saturated green or lighter. The corollas are colored yellow-red, with purple specks scattered inside.
Kohleria lindeniana Ko Linia
Kohleria Lindeniana Ko Linia photo
Compact bush with a height of 20-30 cm. The leaves are beautiful: dark green above, covered with whitish pubescence, the lower part of the leaf plate is light green with a pinkish tint, the pattern of main veins is pronounced brightly. The rims 6 cm long are painted in a light purple color, white stripes and brown spots pass along them.
Koleriya grade Mother's Lipstick
Kohleria Mother’s Lipstick photo
The interesting name of the variety "mother's lipstick" is quite justified: the flowers look very impressive. The game is rich pink and dark burgundy shades, blotches of white specks and really create the illusion of gloss on the lips.
Coteria hybrid sciadotydaea hybrid
Koleriya sciadotydaea hybrid photo
The hybrid form of sciadotydaea hybrid has very large velvety flowers with a pink-red gamma. An interesting bitmap on the front side of the petals creates the illusion of expensive fabric against the background of a dark green canvas of equally luxurious leaves.
Location, lighting and temperature
When selecting a favorable space avoid direct sunlight. There is no emergency need for light. Plant suitable sill east or west. The north window faces a shortage of ultraviolet. Because of it, the foliage becomes rare and lethargic. The southern side provokes burns, which manifest yellowness.
Even during the period of "hibernation" is recommended to provide a soft diffused light. Drafts are strictly forbidden in the room.
Loves warmth. At rest, it is important to provide the pet with coolness (from 15 to 19 degrees). In other periods easily transfers indicators in the range of 24-28 degrees. Unpretentiousness allows you to easily develop in the microclimate of an ordinary city apartment. Compliance with the rules of temperature will allow the exotic to grow and bloom.
Humidity and watering
No special requirements. But too dry air can shorten the flowering period. Regular spraying (with the exception of the resting state) helps to maintain favorable rates. But the foliage water should not fall. It is better to direct the spray on the flowers. Liquid is used exclusively purified or thawed, room temperature. Plumbing with chemical impurities can destroy the representative of the flora.
Watering occurs systematically, in moderation.. Overmoistening is carefully avoided. Otherwise, it threatens to rot the root system, fungal infection, etc. But to dry the ground - no less dangerous. After flowering is complete, moisture is reduced. It happens as needed. A good indicator is the soil in the pot. If the upper layer is dried up, you can add water. When the aboveground part dies, it stops altogether.
Choose the most suitable pot
Most suitable shallow, but wide packaging. The presence of through drainage holes is obligatory in it. Dimensions are directly related to the size of the rhizome. You should not pick up a huge vessel "for the future". In this case, the flowering will have to wait a very long time. The main strength of the seedling will be allowed for the development of its lower part, to the detriment of the formation of "bells".
Soil and fertilizers
In nature, it grows on poor land. Under room conditions, the requirements for it vary somewhat, it is required:
- with excellent ability to pass oxygen and moisture.
Independently prepare the substrate from the following ingredients:
- sand and peat in equal parts,
- 2 shares of turf soil,
- a small amount of charcoal and humus (0.25 parts).
The store sells ready-made soil for gloxinia or saintpaulia. It must necessarily include loosening components. Stagnant water is not allowed.
In need of fertilizer from March to October. In the period of active growth, one cannot do without it. It is enough to purchase specialized additional “food” for an orchid or saintpaulia. The dose recommended by the manufacturer in the instructions is diluted 2 times. Other universal complexes for flowering houseplants are also suitable. Bring them every 4 weeks.
With the onset of winter, all feeding stops. To the foliage was thick and dense, before the appearance of buds in the soil make biohumus.
Trimming and molding
Crown molding depends on the desires of the owner. Stems can be oriented in any direction, getting an ampelnaya or upright colorful miracle. Cropping occurs before laying flowers. The procedure is carried out with disinfected sharp garden tools. Place the cut sprinkled with powdered activated carbon.
All trimmed upper fragments are excellent planting material.. The absence of all manipulations leads to the creation of a crown of a natural look. Under their own weight, the shoots hang down aristocraticly and transform the interior with ampelous form. In this case, pruning is needed only to stimulate the development of lateral shoots.
Aphid and spider mite
This pest appears due to too dry air.
Improper conditions of detention - a favorable environment for uninvited guests. If twisting, drying and falling foliage is noticeable, a thorough inspection is urgently needed. The main diet of pests - komeri juice. You can fight them with folk and chemical special means.
If the colony has not yet grown, then insects are mechanically cleaned - wiped with a cloth moistened with a solution of soapy water. From ready-made funds helps Actellic.
Loss of decoration
Dark spots on the surface - a signal about the use of cold water when watering. About the lack of nutrients "says" falling foliage, slow growth and lack of flowering. The lack of ultraviolet causes the pet to drop foliage.
After restoring all the rules for the care of the co-painting again breathes health and beauty.
The most simple and effective method. Permissible to hold at any time of the year. But faster adaptation occurs in the spring. Tuberiform rhizomes are divided into several fragments (from 1 to 3). Each of them is moved to a separate bowl. Its depth is not more than 2 cm. The scales are regularly moistened, preventing overdrying of the soil.
After 2-3 months of each appears a new pet.
Difficult and long way. A healthy representative cut the sheet. It is placed for rooting in a glass of water. The root system begins to form after 4-6 months. After that, you can transfer the colony to the pot.
They are artificially pollinated and evenly distributed over the surface of a mixture of sand and peat. The container is covered with a cap, periodically aired and sprayed. When young leaves appear, a dive begins: each seedling is transferred to a separate cup.
As soon as they get stronger they pinch. This is necessary for the development of lateral shoots. After that, you can repot in a larger pot.
How to choose a healthy plant in the store
First of all, pay attention to the state of green mass. If it is thick, dense and covered with down - that means that you have a healthy representative. It should also be free of stains, yellowed fragments, cobwebs and other signs of disease. It is worth refusing to buy if the moisture in the pot stagnates or the top layer of the earth is noticeably dry. Sluggish pet, with a small number of buds and pale stems will not be able to transfer transportation, and develop normally in the future.
After buying a transplant, fertilizing and watering do not practice 2 weeks.
Types and varieties
Coming from the hot continent has long been distributed around the world. To date, it is known about 60 of its representatives. This is not only indoor, but also wild plants. Most Popular:
- digitalis flower,
Description and features
Flower koleiya refers to the genus of the same name, consisting of about 65 different species. Among them are herbaceous perennials and dwarf shrubs. They are characterized by tuberous scaly rhizomes - rhizomes.
The leaves are egg-shaped, slightly oblong, arranged oppositely on the stems. The surface is fleecy, edges are crenchatye. Color from light olive to dark green. A characteristic feature of the leaves - they clearly stand out light or red streaks. Hybrid species are distinguished by increased ornamental, silvery or bronze sheen of leaves.
Smears bloom profusely. The flowers of the bell-shaped form are single, or they gather in two to three pieces on short axillary peduncles. In some species, the flowers are similar in shape to a thimble. Red, orange, brown, pink shades prevail in the color of natural species. Almost always there is an additional color in the form of spots, specks, strokes.
Different types of colors are easily crossed. In addition to natural forms, breeders deduced many hybrid varieties. They are more interesting, rich colors. There are varieties with golden, amethyst, tiger flowers.
In room culture is grown many species of variety. Practically each of them has interesting hybrid varieties. The best known are 11 varieties.
- Bogotskaya. In nature, it grows on stony soil. Stems straight, without branching. Oval dark green leaves are covered with rather sparse whitish hairs. On each pedicel, two flowers bloom. On top of the flowers are scarlet, mottled at the bottom.
- Stately. Foliage glossy, grassy, quilted surface. The flowers are large, bright. Окрас оранжевый, с примесью бордового цвета.
- Hairy. Shoots straight, with light whitish pubescence. Characterized by a pronounced bronze color of the leaves. The outer side of the flower is scarlet, the inner side is lilac, with burgundy splashes.
- Koloskovaya. An interesting miniature variety, originally from Mexico. The leaves are oblong, with a pointed end. The color is grayish, silverish pubescence. Bright scarlet flowers are collected in the likeness of an ear.
- Linden. Low shrub, up to 30 cm. The plant is densely pubescent. Light streaks are clearly pronounced on the green background of the leaves. Flowers bloom individually or are collected in pieces of three. Outside the flower is white, inside - purple.
- Digitalis flower. It differs from other varieties by a thicker pubescence, an interesting form of flowers. Large leaves have an ovoid shape. Flowers axillary, solitary, white-purple colors.
- Uneven. One of the smallest varieties. The flowers are bright red, elongated shape. On the inside is a purple pattern.
- Pleasant. Mountain tall variety kolerii. The leaves are motley - green, interspersed with silver and brown. Flowers elongated, red with white.
- Koveriya fluffytotsvetkovaya. The center of the leaves is green, the edges are red. Differs thick pubescence. In the color of flowers combined red and yellow.
- Trubkotsvetkovaya. Tall species, up to 60 cm. The shoots are straight, do not branch. The foliage is oval, with a sharp end, grassy color. The flowers are orange-red, tubular, of equal thickness along the entire length.
- Wool. The leaves are covered with a brownish nap. Flowers in the form of a tube. They have an interesting coloring - brown streaks stand out on a beige background. The edges of the petals are outlined in white.
Color care, soil and moisture requirements
Flower care is not very complicated; it is a rather unpretentious culture. She easily adapts to the conditions of the apartment. The main requirements for good growth and friendly flowering - full coverage and timely watering.
- Lighting Koleri prefers bright lighting. It is placed on the southern, eastern, western windows. In the summer, be sure to prune with tulle so that the tender leaves do not get sunburn. From the north side it can actively develop, but will not bloom.
- Temperature . Coleria prefers moderate heat around 18–24 ° C. When the temperature rises, it fades, languishes. In hot weather, the room is ventilated daily, the tractor is removed from the window. In winter, the air temperature should not fall below 15 ° C.
- Watering Properly water the pot along the edge of the pot, avoiding dropping on the leaves and stems. In the reviews, experienced growers are advised to use wick irrigation. Another good option is watering by immersion. Water necessarily soften - defend or add a tool for aquariums. Watered moderately, but maintain stable humidity. In winter, watered rarely, in small doses.
- Humidity In hot weather, the colors need high humidity. But spraying is contraindicated - stains remain on the foliage of water, the risk of rotting increases. Humidity is increased in other ways - the pot is put on a tray with a filler, systematically moisturize it. The use of special humidifiers is encouraged.
- The soil . Choose a nutritious, light soil with low acidity. Use store mix for Gesneria or mix hardwood, peat, turf, sand and perlite. Charcoal is used as a useful additive.
- Transplant Transplanted annually in early spring. Act carefully so as not to damage the rhizome. Some growers prefer to use the transshipment method. The root system expands to the sides, so the pot uses a wide, small depth. Drainage is a must.
- Top dressing. Choose fertilizers for violets or Gesneria. Sometimes you can feed the organics. Fertilizers begin to make in early spring, simultaneously with the beginning of active growth. In the summer, they maintain two-week intervals between dressings. In winter, there is no urgent need for nutrients - the feeding is temporarily suspended.
Koleriya is simple not only in care, but also reproduction. It grows rapidly, young specimens bloom early. Flower growers use three breeding methods.
- Seeds. Sowing seeds begin in mid-winter. Flat containers are filled with a light soil mixture of leafy earth and sand. Seeds are spread over the surface of the substrate without embedding, sprayed with a spray bottle and covered with a film. The container is put on light, in a warm place. Keep at a temperature of at least 20 ° C. With the advent of shoots the film is removed. The first time they spend picking at the stage of forming a pair of true leaves. Seedlings are transplanted into a box, keeping a distance of about 2–3 cm between them. After three to four weeks, you can re-picking, plant young plants in separate pots.
- Cuttings. Reproduction of cuttings by cuttings also gives good results. Use the tops of the shoots, rooting them directly in a light soil mixture. Capacity with cuttings covered with a film or a can. The greenhouse is ventilated every day to prevent rotting. The soil is periodically sprayed with water with the addition of a small dose of root stimulator. Rooting occurs in about two weeks.
- Rhizome division. Simultaneously with the transplant, the rhizome of the overgrown plant is divided. Coleria are removed from the pot, the root is completely cleaned of soil residues, it is divided into two or three parts with a sharp sterile knife. Delenki placed in separate pots with light soil, deepened by 1-2 cm. The substrate is regularly moistened.
Frequent florist mistakes
Failure to comply with the rules of care sometimes leads to loss of decorativeness, weakening of the range. Flower growers have to deal with the lack of flowering, pallor of leaves, rot, the appearance of spots. The most common mistakes of gardeners are described in detail in the table.
Table - Errors florist when growing colors
Varieties and types
Fluffy flower The individuality of this varietal type is considered to be the height of the plant, which reaches up to 45 cm. The leaves have a dark rich green shade with a scarlet shade of bristles on the leaves. Inflorescences have orange or scarlet color.
Kohleria "Bogot" The height of this variety varies around 60 cm. The inflorescences have a yellow hot hue with orange spots. Flowering lasts from mid-summer to early autumn.
Linden's kolery its homeland is Ecuador. The height of the plant is about 30 cm. The stalks of the plant have a small, light bristle. The leaves are oval-shaped. Several flower buds appear on the peduncle.
The “Varshevich” collection It is about 40 cm tall. The shade of the leaves is green with a red border. This variety is popular for its variegated and individual colors in inflorescences. On a saturated pink tubule bright fibers are seen. Its petals are lime-colored and with maroon dots.
Koleriya "Red" This variety has long been common among gardeners. The color of the flowers is intense red.
Koleriya "Manchu" it is a small plant with a pubescence on the leaves. Leaves are poured in light green color. Flowering occurs a whole year. Tint orange flowers with burgundy interspersing.
“Rongo” - the shade of the flowers is gently purple and on the inside with burgundy specks. Foliage has an olive tint with light stripes. Flowering takes place over a long period. This variety was bred in 1974. Flowers large in the form of a bell. The color of the petals is sunny with orange stripes and scarlet dots on the petals. Leaves with a shade of light olives.
Koleriya "Sunshine" This variety has a compact size and is always pleased with abundant flowering. The color of the flowers is pink with a pair of darker petals. The surface of the petals is covered with maroon specks. The leaves have a dark green tint with a pubescent surface.
Coleria home care
The plant is unpretentious in care, so it can grow under the power of even the most inexperienced florist. Prefers abundant lighting, but without direct sunlight. It is preferable to place the koleria on the western or eastern side of the room
In case of insufficient lighting, the plant will refuse to bloom, and the leaves will stretch and turn pale. With a lack of light, you can use artificial additional light, this is essential in the winter.
The air temperature of the plant prefers increased, because it comes from warm countries. In the summer, it will well endure 30 degrees, and in winter the temperature should not be below 18 degrees. Drafts should be avoided, for the plant they are disastrous.
Watering and humidity
Watering the plant is needed infrequently, because the plant is susceptible to excessive moisture in the soil. It should be watered once every 7 days. Water for irrigation should be soft and warm at room temperature.
Air humidification plant prefers elevated above 55%. Therefore, it is not recommended to spray, because the leaves can begin to rot. It is better to place a humidifier in the room or put wet stones in the pan.
Coleria needs feedings during the active growing season. Fertilizers are suitable with the addition of mineral substances, you can take ready-made for Saintpaulia or indoor flowering plants.
In winter, top dressing must be removed completely, and as an alternative to live soil with biohumus, so that the plant can increase more greenery. But such feeding must be introduced before the appearance of buds.
During the period of cold weather, the plant may begin to winter. Then the leaves begin to wither, it is considered a natural process. The flower should be helped and cut to the base of the roots. Such plants should be placed in a dark place and once every 30 days to moisten the soil to it, to maintain the root system. And in the middle of winter, your kolery will begin to come to life and revive.
If your plant is standing and does not lose its appearance, then pruning is not necessary. Remove as needed dry and withered stems and flowers.
Pruning should be carried out before the growing season, form a plant, according to your preference. It is better to take scissors, and cut off the top so as to further obtain a magnificent plant. Or, if you prefer an ample shrub, you do not need to prune and the shoots will eventually go to bed, and will correspond to your desire.
Colera should be transplanted as the root system fills the tank in which it is located.
When a plant is being transplanted, an earthen com is rolled into a large container, and the missing places are filled with fresh earth.
The composition of the soil for the range
Each florist can independently create a primer for the kuleria. You can purchase the finished product in the store. Suitable primer for Saintpaulia.
Or you can mix turf soil, coarse sand, humus and leaf soil. All components are mixed in equal parts. On it is necessary to arrange the drainage to avoid stagnant water.
Reproduction of the range
The plant propagates by cuttings, seeds and root separation.
Seeds should be sown in the second half of winter. The soil for sowing must be mixed sheet and sand. Seeds do not sprinkle, but gently press, moisturize and cover with polyethylene. Periodically airing. After the emergence of shoots we remove polyethylene, and after the appearance of the first pair of leaves, the seedlings should be dived in separate pots.
To propagate the plant by cutting, it is necessary to take a shoot about 8 cm long and root its substrate of sand and humus. Provide bottom heating. This will help the plant to take root faster. It should cover the plant with a film until the roots appear.
By dividing the root system, the plant is propagated in spring, before the beginning of the growing season. Taking the plant out of the container, we divide the root system into equal parts with the buds and good lobes of the roots.
Diseases and pests
- Why the plant does not bloom - the reason for the lack of fertilizer in the soil or lack of lighting, as well as dry air in the room.
- The plant can affect the fungal disease, it can be caused by excess water in the soil.
- Dark chocolate spots on the leaves appear from watering with cold water.
- And for the prevention of spider mites, it is necessary for the plant to sufficiently moisten the air in the room. And to get rid of pests treat the plant with insecticides.
Currently, there are more than 60 species of plants of this family, which grow in Mexico, Colombia and the island of Trinidad. The most common among flower growers are the following types of colors:
- Koteriya Bogotskaya. This is a perennial plant that grows in natural conditions on stony soils. The stems of the plant are tall, straight, solitary, have no branches. The leaves are oval-shaped, slightly enlarged, colored in dark green, with white pubescence. In the inflorescence there are two flowers, the petals of which are colored bright red, on the turn brown-red with spots, dots or stripes.
- Koleriya majestic. Its leaves have a ribbed surface, resembling a blanket, shiny, bright green. Flowers are majestic orange colors with red spots or burgundy stripes.
- Hairy Kaleria. Stems erect, solitary, with slight white pubescence. Leaves beautiful bronze coloring. The flowers are painted in rich scarlet outside and lilac inside.
- Spikelet Kaleria originally from Mexico. The leaves have an oblong-elongated shape, pointed to the top. The sheet plate is painted grayish with a silvery shade. The flowers of the plant are located on a long peduncle. The shape of the peduncle resembles an ear. The flowers are colored bright orange.
- Linden Komeriya. The height of the flower is 30 centimeters. The stem and leaves are covered with hairs of silvery shade. The leaves are dark green with light streaks, velvety to the touch. The petals of the flowers are painted white on the outside and lilac on the inside.
- Copper Phyderm. A perennial plant, the stem and leaves of which have dense pubescence. The leaves are slightly elongated, oval-shaped, large in size. The flowers grow in the axils of the leaves and one by one, painted white. Inside the petals are covered with dots of maroon color.
- Coheria is uneven. This is a dwarf plant. The stem is covered with hairs of a silvery shade. The flowers have an elongated shape, the outer surface is monotonous, painted red, inside the inflorescence is covered with purple specks and strokes.
- Coleria pleasant. The flower grows in highlands. This is a tall plant. The length of the shoot reaches half a meter. Stems are light green, with whitish pubescence. The leaves are variegated, elongated, decorated with brown streaks and silver strokes.
- Fluffy flower. The leaves have an unusual color. The basic dark green color of the leaf plate turns into a red tint. Due to the short dense pubescence, the leaves resemble a plush fabric. The inflorescences are colored red on the outside; they have a yellow tint on the inside and small reddish specks.
Coleria: home care for the plant
Kaleria flower is unpretentious and uncomplicated in home care, so the cultivation of this plant can be done even by a beginner grower. Particularly popular with lovers of indoor plants, she deserved thanks to the constant flowering. In order for the art to become an ornament and always to please the eye, it is necessary to follow the rules of plant care.
Lighting and location
A flower is a photo-loving plant that needs a lot of light. However, avoid exposure to direct sunlight. Western and eastern windows are well suited for it. When placing a pot with colors on the north side, you should take care of additional artificial lighting. Otherwise the leaves will lose a bright color, and the stems will stretch. The plant needs fresh air, but does not like drafts.
Watering plants and moisture
The root system of koleriya is thickened, covered with scales and small roots. It does not tolerate excess moisture and begins to quickly rot. Water the plant should be rare and a small amount of water. For the flower is considered optimal watering once a week.
For irrigation, boiled, rain or melted water is used. Water from the tap with a high chlorine content is not like. Under natural conditions, the flower grows in moist areas, therefore it needs periodic moistening. Pubescent stems and leaves react negatively to spraying. In this case, you should place a pot with a plant on pallets filled with wetted clay or tracing paper.
Plant transplant and soil
When transplanting flower growers are not recommended to replace the soil completely. Transplanting is necessary with a strong growth of the root system. In this case, transfer to a more spacious pot should be made.
For transplantation, you can use ready-made soil for gloxinia or prepare it yourself from equal parts of humus, sand, charcoal, sheet and sod soil. На дно емкости следует уложить толстый дренажный слой из керамзита, битых черепков или мелких камешков.
Обычно колерию размножают семенами, черенками или делением корневища.
Посев семян проводится в конце зимы. Семена высевают в неглубокие контейнеры с питательным грунтом. Присыпать сверху семена слоем почвы не следует. После посадки семена увлажняют из опрыскивателя и накрывают стеклом для поддержания влажности и постоянной температуры. After the seeds have risen, the glass is removed. Transplant to a permanent place is carried out after the appearance of two true leaves.
As the cuttings used the upper part of the stem. Rooting is carried out in nutrient soil, consisting of sand and humus. Before planting sprouts can be treated with a solution of a biostimulator. Planted cuttings on top covered with a jar. If you provide additional heating, the cuttings will take root much faster.
The division of the rhizome is carried out before the beginning of the period of active growth. To do this, the rhizome of the mother plant should be divided into several parts using a sharp knife and seated in separate pots.
The plant needs additional fertilizing with mineral fertilizers. Fertilization is carried out during the growing season. For this you can use ready-made mineral supplements for violets or flowering plants.
Fertilization is carried out once a month. During the rest period, feeding is terminated. As a fertilizer you can use biohumus, which activates the growth of plants. It is made before the formation of buds.
As a rule, problems with growing kolerii associated with improper care and maintenance at home.
- brown spots appear if too cold water is used for irrigation,
- the color fades and yellow spots are formed with an excess of mineral fertilizers in the soil,
- leaf plate curls when there is a lack of nutrients, too wet soil or with dry air in the room,
- coderiness is subject to fungal diseases - sulfur and root rot, powdery mildew, the appearance of which can be caused by high humidity of the soil and air in the room.
Brief description of cultivation
- Bloom. In July – November.
- Illumination. It needs bright sunlight, which must be diffused.
- Temperature conditions. In the summer and spring from 22 to 26 degrees, and in winter - from 16 to 18 degrees.
- Watering. In spring and summertime, watering should be plentiful and often, in the autumn period, gradual reduction of watering should be carried out. In winter, watering should be scanty and rare, and it should not be allowed to completely dry the clod of earth.
- Air humidity. Normal for rooms in the living room. On hot days, a container with a bush should be put on a pallet filled with wet clay.
- Fertilizer. It is necessary to feed a flower in April – October 1 time in 7 days, for this purpose use fertilizer for flowering plants.
- Rest period. In November – March.
- Transfer. If necessary, at the beginning of intensive growth.
- Suitable soil mix. It should include leaf and sod land, sand and humus (4: 2: 1: 1).
- Breeding. Seed method and cuttings.
- Harmful insects. Shchitovka, spider mites, whitefly, thrips and mealybugs.
- Disease. If the bush is not properly cared for or placed in inappropriate conditions, then it may have problems with foliage or flowering.
Koteriya when grown in room conditions sills are very well suited, located in the western or eastern side of the room. If the bush is on the southern window, then it will need shading from direct sunlight, for this you can use a transparent fabric or film. And in this case, the flower can be put deeper into the room. When growing a bush on the windowsill of the northern orientation, it is likely that the flowering will not occur due to lack of light. In winter, he also needs a lot of light.
How to water
In the spring and summer, watering the bush is carried out immediately after the top layer of the substrate dries out. With the onset of autumn, watering is gradually reduced, and in winter it should be very scarce, but at the same time make sure that the pot of soil in the pot does not dry out. For irrigation use well-settled water. The best thing for such a culture is that the bottom watering is suitable. The fact that water is falling on the foliage has a very negative effect on its condition.
When grown at home, the bush develops within normal limits and at low air humidity. However, it should be noted that the higher the humidity of the air in the room, the better the range grows and develops. Spray it with water is impossible, because the ingress of liquid on the surface of the foliage is highly undesirable. In order to increase the humidity of the air, it is recommended to put the container with a flower on a tray, into which you first put the moistened pebbles, while ensuring that the bottom of the pot is not in the liquid.
Seeds of seeds
Sowing seeds seeds carried out in the second half of winter. For sowing, they use plates, the seeds are evenly distributed over the surface of the substrate, but at the same time they should not be covered with a layer of earth. A soil mixture suitable for sowing should include 1 part of leafy soil and 2 parts of sand. After the sowing is completed, pour the soil mixture through a sieve, and cover the top with glass. Crops need to provide daily ventilation, and they must also be placed in a warm place (from 20 to 24 degrees). After the seedlings seem, the shelter is removed, and the seedlings swoop into a larger container, using the same soil mixture as for sowing (see above). When picking between shoots keep a distance of about 20 mm. After 4–6 weeks, the grown-up seedlings dive again, for this they are rolled into a new container, keeping a distance of 30 mm between seedlings. In separate pots, reaching 70 mm in diameter, the seedlings are seated only when the bushes develop well, using a soil mixture consisting of light turf, peat and hardwood, as well as sand (1: 2: 4: 2).
Such a perennial herbaceous in nature is found in Colombian forests, while he prefers to grow on stony ground. The height of the bush is about 0.6 m. There is a pubescence on the surface of non-branching straight shoots consisting of white or red hairs. The shape of the pointed foliage is ovate-heart-shaped or ovoid wide, it reaches about 75 mm in length, and up to 35 mm in width, and the toothed edge. The front surface of the leaf plate is dark green and has a pubescence located along the veins and consisting of variegated white hairs. The length of pubescent peduncles is about 50 mm, they grow by 1-2 flowers, which are axillary and drooping. The length of the corolla tube is about 25 mm; outside it is pubescent and pale red, and downwards it is of orange-red color. On the inner surface of the yellow throat there are specks and stripes of red. Flowering is magnificent, it begins in the second half of the summer period and lasts until the first autumn weeks.
On the surface of the stem there are red hairs. Leaf plates look like quilted, they are glossy, and on their surface there is a pubescence consisting of hairs of white color. On the big flowers of orange-red color there are dark-colored streaks that go straight into the mouth.
Coleria Linden (Kohleria lindeniana)
Under natural conditions, this species is found in the mountainous regions of Ecuador. The height of this herbaceous perennial is about 0.3 m, on the surface of the bush there is a pubescence consisting of white hairs. The length of the egg-shaped leaf plates is about 70 mm, and the width is up to 20 mm. The lower part of the green leaves has a pale pink shade; greenish or silvery white veins are clearly visible on the dark green front surface of the plate. One or several axillary flowers are formed on peduncles, the length of which is about 60 mm. The corolla has a bell-shaped form, the length of the flower petals and the corolla tube does not exceed 10 mm. On the surface of the tube there is a pubescence of white hairs, its inner surface is yellow with brown speckles at the pharynx, and purple stripes are present on the white outer surface on the limb. Lush bloom is observed in the first half of the autumn period.
Copper Phorythyloid (Kohleria digitaliflora)
In nature, such a herbaceous perennial is most often found in the forests of Colombia. On the surface there is a dense pubescence of white hairs, the stems are straight. The shape of the leaf plates is elliptical (lanceolate or ovoid), their length is from 18 to 20 centimeters, and the width is from 10 to 12 centimeters. On the surface of short-leaf green leaf plates there is a hair pubescence, while on the wrong surface it is more dense than on the front. On axillary inflorescences grows to five flowers. The length of the corolla tube is about 30 mm, it is white, and in the upper part with a pinkish tinge. On the surface of the green throat of the corolla there are dots of purple. The bush blooms most magnificently in the last summer and in the first autumn weeks.
Coleria pleasant (Kohleria amabilis)
Such herbaceous perennials in nature are most often found in the mountains of Colombia at an altitude of 800 m above sea level. On the surface of green or red stems there is a pubescence of white hairs, their length is about 0.6 m. The length of the petioles is about 25 mm. Opposite egg-shaped leaf plates have a length of up to 100 mm, and a width of about 70 mm. The front surface of the foliage is dark green or green, and the wrong side is greenish, with silver-white lines and brownish-red veins on the plate. On the outer surface of the axillary flowers there is pubescence, the corolla tube is pink — with white or with white with magenta spots at the pharynx. Flowering lasts almost all year round.
Woolen coleria (Kohleria lanata)
Homeland of this type is Mexico. Powerful shoots. Cedar on the edge of the small oval leaf plates have a dense pubescence of the hairs pale yellow color. On the surface of the orange-red tube of the corolla there are dots of a pale crimson color, they cover the lobes of a wide-open limb. The bush looks fluffy due to the fact that small hairs grow on its entire surface.
Optimal conditions in the house for growing crops
Koleriya is unpretentious, and therefore even a novice florist can cope with its cultivation and care. Kohleriy attracts plant growers in continuous flowering, but such an effect can be achieved only if some simple rules are observed.
In order for the plant to enjoy active growth and generous flowering, you will need to choose the right place for the flower, to ensure optimum irrigation of the colors, correct pruning and feeding. It is equally important when choosing a place for the installation to make sure that it does not suffer from drafts.
The soil for the crop should meet the following criteria: have a high degree of friability, good aeration and moisture permeability, and also have a low acidity.
Location and lighting
Koleriya is absolutely unpretentious, but for her to grow normally, she will need to choose the right place in the house. She will feel fine at moderate temperatures and sufficient air humidity.
Koleriya is light-requiring, but it does not tolerate direct sunlight. In order for the plant to receive sufficient sunlight, the pots should be placed on the western or eastern windows.
You should not place the plant on the northern windowsills, as it will suffer from a lack of light, while on the south it will receive it more than the norm, which will also have a bad effect on its development.
Temperature mode: summer-winter
Koleriya is a heat and light-loving plant. In spring and summer, it will require a temperature of 22 to 25 ° C. But the wintering of the range should take place at a temperature of 15 to 20 ˚C. During the budding period, it will be necessary to lower the temperature in the room to +12 ° C, since otherwise the color of the flowers will be dull.
Watering mode: summer-winter
For normal growth, the colouration needs high-quality watering; for this purpose, only distilled water is used. Koleriya, despite the luxurious appearance, is a very modest and undemanding plant. But in order for a beautiful woman to feel fine, it is necessary to remember that she comes from a humid forest tropics, and this will require regular and high-quality watering.
Of course, it’s foolish to hope that in an ordinary apartment you can recreate the climate typical of the jungle, but systematic humidification of the air will make the life of the plant more comfortable.
Koleria will respond with active flowering if you provide it with generous watering, protection from drafts and plenty of sunlight.
In autumn and winter, the frequency of watering is reduced: the next watering is carried out only after the top layer of soil in the pot dries out slightly. During the cultivation of the kaleriya, only lower watering is permissible, since the ingress of moisture on the leaves may cause their defeat by rot.
Top dressing and fertilizer
Coleria needs a systematic introduction of fertilizers, and fertilizing is especially important for plants at the flowering stage. Fertilizers should be introduced once a week, from April to August, during active growth of the bush. In the dormant period, the plants are not fed.
Fertilizers for flowering plants in which nitrogen and potassium are contained in equal proportions, and the dose of phosphorus is significantly increased, are recommended for fertilizing the colli at the flowering stage. Ideally, fertilizers will be prepared according to the formula NPK = 20-50-20.
Cropping and crown formation
Coleria – ampelnoy plant, which can be cultivated in the form of a bush. Regardless of the shape chosen, pruning a bush is an important event that helps to maintain a given shape and contributes to the rejuvenation of the bush. If you do not carry out timely trimming of the range, then its shoots are drawn out and form a smaller number of peduncles.
During pruning, all dried, diseased and damaged stems are removed. Pruning bush make a sterile instrument. To give the plant an upright shape, all shoots that have reached a length of 20 to 30 cm are shortened by a third. Removing the tops of the shoots encourages the plant to actively form young branches.
All about the transplantation of koleriya at home
Transplantation of the range is carried out at least once a year, due to its active growth rate. In order not to cause harm, it is necessary to know when to make a transplant. Transplanting plants that are at the stage of active growth is strictly prohibited. Repot only bushes that are at rest.
So that during the manipulation does not harm the plant, you should act very carefully.
Landing is carried out in the substrate consisting of a part of sod land, two parts of peat, one part of leafy ground and a part of purified sand in the ratio of 1x2x1x1. Instead of river sand, you can use vermiculite. In addition, in each pot you need to add charcoal, which will prevent the defeat of the plant root rot.
Division of rhizomes
By dividing the rhizomes, the easiest way to propagate colony is done during spring transplantation. To get several plants from one bush, you should carefully divide the rhizomes into several parts and plant them in new pots. It is important that each of the parts have a pair of healthy shoots and a sufficient number of roots for active growth.
Pests, possible problems and diseases of the range
Colerium is sufficiently resistant to phytoinfections and pests. More often, all her illnesses are caused by a disorder of care.
The most common problems arising from the cultivation of kalerii:
- No flowering - indicates that the plant suffers from a lack of sunlight or nutrients. This problem can be solved by rearranging the plant to a more lighted place and introducing feeding.
- The appearance of dark spots on the leaves - due to irrigation with cold water. Do not forget that watering the bushes is permissible only with well-settled water at room temperature.
- Yellowing and excessive stretching of shoots - The plant suffers from a lack of ultraviolet. Improve the appearance of the plant will help his shift to a lighter place.
- Leaf curl - a symptom of the fact that the bush suffers from a lack of moisture. To increase the humidity, place water containers next to the pot.
- Lethargy leaves - A sign that the roots of the bush are affected by root rot. The problem can be solved by transplanting a plant into a new soil and completely removing the damaged roots.
- Thermal burns arise when the bush is irradiated by direct sunlight. To stop the suffering of the plant, simply move it to another place, and remove the damaged leaves.
- The appearance of gray bloom indicates infection of the bush with oidium. To cope with the disease will help the treatment of leaves with soap and water.