Tomato tree began to gain popularity only a few years ago, although in many foreign countries it grows a long time ago. Tomato tree causes wide interest not only among many professional gardeners and gardeners, but also among amateurs. It is not very capricious, it can be grown both in open and in closed ground. The plant gives an excellent harvest, however, for its self-cultivation it is necessary to study its description, main characteristics, pros, cons and all the nuances of cultivation at home.
Tomato tree is grown in many countries around the world, so it has several different names. Very often, this plant is called tamarillo or tsifomandra. It is a woody bushes, reaching no more than five meters in height. On one brush of a tree, most often grows up to six fruits, the weight of which varies from 100 to 150 grams. The leaves of the tomato tree are rounded. When the plant blooms, you can find pale pink flowers on it.
The fruit of the tree can be different colors. Most often the color varies from carrot to bright red. The flesh of the fruit is very sweet and juicy in taste. Professional gardeners are confident that tomato tree can produce high-quality crops up to 15–20 years old. Fruiting can begin as early as one year after planting the plant in the ground.
Tomatoes from a tomato tree can be eaten fresh or canned. Of these, often prepared dressings, sauces, ketchups and fresh juices. Whatever way of eating vegetables is chosen, you can be sure that everyone will like it and will be very useful for the organism as a whole, since tomatoes are enriched with a huge amount of vitamins and other useful components. Gardeners are sure that even a beginner or amateur will cope with the cultivation of the tree, especially if he has already been involved in planting the Solanaceae.
The main point, which should not be forgotten when planting a tree in the ground, is the selection of a good place and soil for it.
Some amateur gardeners still believe that if you plant a tomato bush in the soil and give it free rein to grow, it will bear fruit like a tomato tree. But the reality is not so simple. For a great harvest you have to look for the original varieties of tamarillo. In addition, many breeding varieties have been developed to date, which may also be of interest for their excellent characteristics. It is the best of all to get plants of this kind exclusively in the checked places and gardening shops, and also from private traders.
Varieties of tomato trees differ in the following criteria:
- in appearance of fruits and leaves,
- on the intensity of fruiting - some species will delight ripe vegetables until the end of autumn, and some only until mid-summer,
- on some other features, including important points for care and cultivation.
Today the most popular varieties of tomato tree are the following:
- Rotamer - juicy fruits with a light sweet aftertaste, most often this variety is chosen not only for delicious salads, but also for desserts,
- Inca Gold - the juicy and sweet fruits of amber shade will appeal to real connoisseurs of "wonder" from the tree,
- Solid gold - fruits of this variety resemble small eggs, many believe that they are the most common in taste, but are equally popular compared to other varieties,
- "Octopus F1" It is considered one of the most sought-after varieties today, and this is not surprising, because it has collected the best properties of tomatoes, and its taste qualities will surprise many, even the most fastidious ones.
Many wonder what kind of tomato tree to choose. It is quite difficult to answer, since each variety is considered to be unique in its own way. But the most popular today in our country is the "Octopus F1". The great advantage of this variety is its endless growth, especially if it allows free space. If the tree is planted in a greenhouse, it will start branches on the walls and on the ceiling. To fix them, of course, desirable. And besides greenhouse cultivation, this tree bears fruit very well in open ground, since it is adapted to the most varied weather conditions.
Important! You should not buy seeds on dubious Chinese sites, one of them is unlikely to grow a full-fledged tree bearing fruit.
Tamarillo is very popular and receives a lot of positive feedback from professional gardeners and amateurs from around the world. It is worth more to consider what it is connected with.
- The tree is considered to be very unpretentious in the care, it can bear fruit until the autumn cold. Harvested several times.
- It is believed that many varieties of tomato tree are resistant to various diseases and frosts. With regular spraying of the plant, you can not worry about the fruit, because insects are unlikely to attack them.
- Tomatoes are great not only for fresh consumption, but also in salted. Often they make delicious sauces and ketchups.
Tomato tree and its features
The sprout tomato f1 is an inderminant variety, which means that, under favorable conditions, the growth of the stems is unlimited. That is, if you create the optimum temperature throughout the year, the tomato will grow and produce a very long harvest.
There are several ways to grow a tomato tree, which allow you to get a good crop of tomatoes:
- conventional outdoor cultivation
- in the greenhouse with heating and without heating,
- hydroponic method.
If you grow a hybrid Sprut as a seasonal vegetable, you can get two buckets of beautiful tomatoes from the bush. This is not a bad result for tomatoes of an interterminant type.
Hybrid Sprut as a seasonal vegetable
However, in the cultivation of a special technology, which was developed specifically for this hybrid, they teach a tomato tree with a spreading crown and a crop of up to 1.5 tons per bush for the first 18 months of cultivation.
Of course, the first option will allow not to “bother” much and at the same time be with the harvest. But the second is more interesting and makes it possible to unleash the potential of the plant, and turn the process of cultivation into creative work.
One such bush replaces a whole bed of ordinary tomatoes. Its crown in diameter reaches 45-50 m 2. This is achieved by the fact that the hybrid is not a stepchild, which means that each stepchild is able to grow and produce flowering brushes. They are tied behind every 3 leaves and form fleshy tomatoes weighing up to 200 g. Knowing how to grow a tomato tree at home, in one year you can provide fruits not only for your family, because the harvest will be up to 14 thousand fragrant fruits.
Octopus - an amazing hybrid that can not only feed, but also turn the gardener into a magician who creates his miracle. After all, his agricultural technology is individual and absolutely different from the usual care of garden plants.
Interesting! In order not to buy seeds of a hybrid, propagate the plant by rooting cut-off stepsons.
Necessary conditions for growing
To reveal the potential of the tomato tree Sprut f1 to grow it is required in hydroponics. Indeed, for a long period of tomato life, it will be attacked by pests, viruses, and fungi. Hydroponics will reduce the likelihood of infection, which in turn will give the plant the opportunity to spend strength on growth, rather than countering disease.
Octopus in hydroponics
This hybrid must be carefully protected from both pests and diseases. Preventive measures play an important role in obtaining a good harvest.
A bush that reaches the size of an apple tree will not produce a crop without systematic supplements, additional lighting and a stable temperature. Only all these factors in the complex will allow you to get a truly amazing harvest.
To grow a tomato in this way will require:
- Greenhouse heated in the cold season, equipped with fluorescent lamps, which will create a 12-hour daylight hours in the winter months.
- The capacity in which the tree will grow. Its volume must be at least 1 m 2; a metal or plastic barrel will be suitable for this.
- The lid, which will close the container, with a hole in it for the tree. Usually for this use sheet foam. This simple device will allow to protect the nutrient solution from heating to a critical temperature in the hot summer months.
- Capacity for nutrient solution.
- Fertilizers. Good result gives the mineral composition of Bazyrenko or Chesnokova.
- Glass wool from which cubes will be made for planting.
Growing the hydroponic method will avoid many problems. No need to worry about soil contamination or insufficient moisture. It is important to strictly observe the temperature of the nutrient solution. In the summer months, its temperature should be no more than 25 degrees, while in the cold season it should not be below 18 degrees.
Important! To the capacity of the plant does not overheat, it is better to stain with lime.
Agrotechnica tomato miracle tree
To prepare a concentrated nutrient solution, you need a capacity of 10 liters. It is placed in:
- ammonium nitrate - 0.2 kg,
- potassium - 05, kg
- iron citrate - 0,009 kg
- superphosphate - 0.55 kg,
- manganese sulphate - 0,002 kg,
- boric acid - 0,003 kg
- magnesium - 0.3 kg.
After all the components are in the vessel, it is filled with water to the specified volume and mixed. For direct use, 1 liter of this solution is taken and diluted in 100 liters of water.
Concentrated Sprout Nutrient Solution
It is better to start growing a tree in the fall. In late August, a seed is placed in a glass wool cube with a 20 cm face and placed in a container with a solution so that it only slightly moistens the cube.
When it takes 2 months after germination, the tomato tree is placed in a larger cube and the air supply compressor is fed. Add a solution to the plant container and cover with a hole for the shoots.
Throughout the entire period of growing the seedlings of tomato tree, the Octopus be sure to finish it, creating a 12-hour light day.
All flower brushes that appear are removed. At this stage, the main goal is to create a strong bush, which has developed a strong crown. In her in the future and the crop will be formed. The brushes cease to be removed only in mid-April in order to receive the first fruits by the end of May.
If you comply with all agricultural practices and adhere to the light and heat conditions, during this period the plant will reach 2-2.5 m in height. It is at this level that the net is tensioned, it will hold the crown, and it is harvested from it.
If you do not want to mess with the solution and glass wool, tomato tree can be grown in the open ground in the usual way. With good care and prevention of diseases, regular, every 2-3 weeks, fertilizing with mineral fertilizers and stable watering is quite possible to get up to 12 kg of tomatoes.
Growing a tomato tree Octopus in open ground
Important! When growing in open ground, maintain a soil moisture level of at least 60%.
For seasonal cultivation of tomato tree, the following recommendations should be followed step by step:
- Sow seeds for seedlings in early February.
- After 2-3 weeks, pick the seedlings.
- Create a 12-hour day.
- No stepson plant.
- Do not plant tomatoes closer than 0.5 mx 1.5 m.
- Mandatory garter all stepchildren.
- Systematic feeding and watering.
- Mulching beds.
- Timely gathering of fruits.
Considering that the variety does not stop its growth, before the onset of cold weather, stepchildren pinch the tops.
An interesting way to grow a tomato tree Sprut offers Zinaida Osipova. Plants are placed on the ground, on a pillow of chopped grass, and the sides are set around the bush where the ground is gradually added. On each side of the four sides, they install sticks and cover them with a film or non-woven material, thus creating a mini-greenhouse. Such a planting tree will allow you to develop additional roots and get a bountiful harvest.
Tomato tree Sprut is an amazing plant. Having invested in it soul and work, it is possible to achieve results that no other variety can give. And using the hydroponic method, also provide yourself with fresh fruits throughout the year.
Advantages and disadvantages
It is not for nothing that tomato trees have become so popular in recent years. After all, they are different considerable advantages:
- a tree of tomatoes can be grown by adapting to any level of humidity,
- it is resistant to tobacco mosaic virus, fusarium wilt and blight,
- not affected by sudden changes in temperature
- has developed and branched roots in the structure,
- does not cause difficulties when growing,
- Tomato tree reaches a height of 3-5 m.
As for the minuses, the tomato tree Sprut F1 occupies a large area and for its cultivation you need a heated greenhouse.
What is needed for growing
There are 2 main ways to get tomato from tomato tree: growing in open ground or in a greenhouse. Depending on the chosen option, you need to determine what you need to have for the further procedure. Namely:
- Seeds are better to grow tall varieties, they give a lot of ovaries and grow better.
- For cooking, you need compost and ugras.
- For cultivation, it is necessary to prepare in advance a greenhouse or film for planting in the ground.
- To grow such trees, a bottomless barrel made of metal is used as a special container.
- To improve root ventilation when growing a tomato tree, an air pump with a hose is used.
Important! The pump is recommended to turn on every 20-25 minutes. At the bottom of the tank is placed a hose with holes made in it.
To get a good crop of tomatoes, the tree should be paid attention to and take into account some peculiarities when growing it. To do this, you must fulfill the basic requirements:
- Experienced gardeners recommend planting seedlings as early as possible. It is necessary to take into account the lunar landing calendar. For this, the middle of January is the best period. Soil should be used with an increased amount of biohumus in the composition. The temperature should be maintained at a level of 20-25 ° C. The same degree is loved by an adult plant. Due to the darkness in winter and short spring days, seedlings should be grown with light using special lamps. Picks for the development of roots and watering is carried out in the usual way.
- At this stage should prepare a place. Capacity is established under favorable weather conditions on an open ground in a sunny place or on the ground in a greenhouse. Given that the crowns of tomato trees are scattered on the sides in diameter up to 2 meters, around the seedlings should be left free space. The bottom layer of the tank is filled with an urgas of 0.10-0.15 m thick. The second layer of the mixed EM-compost and sod land should not exceed 1/3 of the barrel level. Top a little to fill the ground with the beds.
- In the second half of April, you need to choose the most powerful seedling and plant it already in the tank. In the greenhouse, you can safely grow without worrying about the heat. But without a greenhouse, it is worth protecting it from night cold and frost. Initially it is easy to do. After all, the tip does not reach the edges of the barrel. Cover with foil without damage. When the seedling begins to grow, you need to use the arc. At the same time, the edges of the film should be well pressed, and one side should be covered with earth.
- 7 days after disembarkation, pasyncovina follows. Up to 2 upper rows you need to cut off the lower leaves. The wounds of the plant in places of dangling leaves will dry out after 2 hours. This is followed by the escape to the level of the remaining greenery to fall asleep with soil mixture. To obtain it in equal parts mixed turf and ordinary land with Urgasy. This will help grow, nourish and strengthen the root system of the plant. The procedure is repeated again after a few days. When the top of the future tree will be above the capacity, pasynkovanie should stop.
Attention! Passering procedure is carried out for all varieties, except for the Octopus F1.
- Watering and feeding the plant is necessary. By July, all nutrients will be consumed. The optimal time interval between dressings is 4-7 days. As a fertilizer, use an aqueous solution of herbal infusion. Watering should be abundant, all the excess fluid comes out of the tank, so do not be afraid to spoil the tree. In hot weather, watering is needed daily in the morning.
- When the ovaries appear, they need separate care. They grow and eventually hang down from the tank. You can leave them that way if the tree grows small. The fruits are removed from drooping brushes. The best option is to tie branches to grids or supports. The tree gets more air and space. Thus, there is a chance to get real crowns that grow up to 2 meters in height.
- Fruits usually ripen in July. Помидорное дерево может плодоносить до октября, когда обычные кусты помидоров уже выдали весь урожай.
Помидорное дерево Спрут
Многие садоводы отдают предпочтение томатному дереву Спрут. Этот сорт характеризуется высоким уровнем плодовитости. Один куст позволяет получить до 1,5 т вкусных и ароматных плодов. Существуют 2 типа выращивания такого дерева:
- The usual method of growing tomato tree is the Octopus season. Planting is carried out in a standard way - in the open field or in the greenhouse, depending on climatic conditions. During one season the hybrid plant gives up to 10-12 kg of fruits.
- Another method of cultivation involves the use of special technology. This takes into account the varietal feature of the plant. Such a hybrid is unlimited in growth. One bush produces for the season 1000-1500 kg of tomatoes. To achieve this result, it is necessary to work hard for a year and a half. With such cultivation, it is not necessary to remove excess ovaries and to make a stare. All naturally formed shoots bear fruit. A flower brush is produced above every 3rd leaf. It also forms brushes of up to 6 tomatoes, each weighing 120–200 g. The area of the crown can be up to 50 square meters. m
Seasonal cultivation of tomatoes Sprut
In the absence of the possibility of growing a full-fledged tomato tree, the variant with the use of seeds for seasonal purposes is allowed. At the same time about 10 kg of fruits can be collected from the bush. Due to the stability of this variety, which fruits almost until frost, you can provide yourself with fresh tomatoes for 9-10 months.
Seasonal method of cultivation is carried out taking into account some features:
- seeds for seedlings are sown no later than the second half of February,
- diving is carried out without fail
- disembarkation is made at intervals of 150 cm between the bushes,
- you need no steps
- every 3 weeks is a regular feeding.
Attention! Seasonal tomato tree can reach a height of 5 m. To avoid this, it is worthwhile to nip off the central stem when the plant reaches the appropriate size.
Tree Octopus is a miracle of selection. When growing it, each gardener will receive an excellent harvest, which other types of tomatoes are not able to give. Works and efforts will be justified.
Tomato tree, the cultivation of which in the open field is the easiest way, will give a rich harvest using the so-called EM technology. In this case, the plant is planted in a barrel, and the crop is harvested from late June to October.
The second method involves growing for one and a half years in a greenhouse. When using this technique grows real tomato tree, with a crown occupying a huge area.
Sow tomato seeds for growing "trees" in boxes should be as soon as possible. For central Russia, the best time will be February. Some gardeners plant seedlings for the barrel, even in late January.
Seeds are prepared in the usual way. That is, disinfected and soaked. Pick up grown seedlings produce in fairly large containers. In this case, it is important that the plant root system develops as best as possible. Transplant plants in the open ground after a steady warm weather is established on the street.
Of course, it is impossible to grow a large tomato tree on ordinary soil. Therefore, a barrel or any other sufficiently volumetric capacity is filled with a special mixture. First of all, the bottom should be removed from the selected “bed”. This is necessary so that excess water can easily flow out of the barrel.
Further, holes are made in the container walls with a diameter of approximately 1 cm according to the 20 x 20 cm scheme. They are necessary so that as much oxygen as possible can reach the plant roots.
Install the barrel should be on the sunniest place of the site. A layer of urgasy is poured into its lowest part. So called special fertilizer prepared by EM technology. How to make it, consider in detail below.
The thickness of the urgasy layer should be about 10 cm. Next, another ten-meter layer consisting of EM-compost, plain and sod soil in the proportion of 1x1x1. At the next stage, one tomato is planted in a barrel.
How to make urgasu
With the use of this type of fertilizer, a sufficiently large tomato tree can be obtained in the end. Cultivation in the open field with too much force will not take away.
The preparation of the urgasi is done throughout the year. You can do it right in the city apartment. Under urgasu take the old plastic bucket and placed on its bottom grate so that it is located at a small height. Next, the walls of the tank lay a plastic bag with holes in the bottom.
All kitchen waste is not dumped in a garbage can, but in a prepared urgasu. The excess liquid will flow down and it can be used, for example, as a fertilizer for indoor plants (a solution with water in the proportion of 1x1000).
After each tab, the mixture should be sprayed with the preparation with the bacteria “Baikal EM1”, sprinkled with urmonas and squeezed with some weight, carefully wrapped in a bag. The bucket must be tightly closed with a lid.
Sourdough make from twisted into minced and paper-dried kitchen waste. At 1 kilogram, 5 tablespoons of “Baikal EM1” are added. The resulting mixture is placed in a plastic bag and placed on top of the cargo. A week later, the mixture is kneaded and dried.
How to make EM Compost
Tomato tree in the open field with the use of such an additive to the soil will develop very quickly. So it is necessary to apply it. Moreover, it will be completely easy to make this fertilizer. EM-compost is prepared in almost the same way as usual. The only thing - all the components should be crushed. The mass should be quite porous. For every 100 kg of the mixture, add 10 kg of soil or sawdust. Then everything needs to be thoroughly mixed and poured in layers with a solution of the EM-1 preparation (100 ml per 10 l of water) and 100 ml of non-acidic jam without berries. The compost moisture should not fall below 60%. In two months he will be ready.
Next, let's see how you can actually get quite a large and productive tomato tree. Cultivation in open ground, as already mentioned, is done using a rather volumetric capacity.
For the barrel choose the strongest and tallest plant. They are deepening it by about 5 cm. The top is covered with a plastic wrap. After the tomato grows about 10 cm, the lower leaves break off and pour the prepared soil mixture to the same height in a barrel.
Thus, it is necessary to act until the barrel is filled almost to the top.
Tomato tree, reviews of the yield of which, by the way are very good, like any other plant requires careful care. First of all, you need to remember that it is not necessary to seed the planted tomato. Next to the barrel you need to install a small trellis to support the lashes.
The moisture content of the soil mixture in the tank should not fall below 60%. Fertilizers begin to do in mid-July. To do this, use the talker of the EM-compost. Fertilize plants can be once a week, but preferably 2-3 times.
The chatterbox is made by pouring a mixture of EM-compost and 1x1 soil into a container at a third of the height and filling it all with water to the top. Insist the solution during the day.
If desired, using the technology described above, you can grow a small tomato tree at home. Residents of Russia who do not have dacha plots use this technique quite often. Of course, in this case it is not a barrel that is used, and not a bag that is too large (for example, from under the flour). It is located on the loggia or balcony. Harvest in this case can be collected very good.
Real tomato tree
It is very difficult and rather expensive to grow a huge “sprint” with a crown diameter of a couple of tens of meters. However, if you wish, you can try this method. But, of course, only when the plot has a sufficiently spacious heated greenhouse. The cultivation technology in this case includes the following steps:
- Prepared capacity with a height of at least 50 cm and an area of 1.5 meters (usually take the old bath).
- Special hydroponic solution is mixed.
- Glass wool cubes for seedlings are prepared, as well as a large cube for transplanting.
- A powerful aquarium compressor and fluorescent lamps (with a spectrum suitable for plants) are purchased.
Planting seeds into cubes is made at the end of August or even a little later. This is a must. When planting in autumn, a tomato tree (a photo of a large tomato “sprout” can be seen below) develops much better. Glass wool is impregnated with a hydroponic solution. After that, seeds are laid in specially cut indentations. It is necessary to moisten cubes several times a day with the same solution. After two months, the strongest plant is transferred to a large cube, prepared in the same way. In it are placed the tubes leading from the aerator, after which it is laid in the bath. The latter must be covered with a foam cover. On top of the lid is a hole for plant growth.
The whole cold period, the tomato must be highlighted with the help of lamps (with the formation of a 12-hour daylight hours). Emerging flower shoots during this period should be broken off. Fruiting plants should begin no earlier than May. In February, the highlighting is stopped. To maintain the tree above him arrange grid-trellis.
How to make a hydroponic solution
Growing a large size tomato tree is possible only when using this particular variety for wetting the glass wool composition. For the preparation of uterine hydroponic mixtures take:
- citric acid 0,009 gr,
- ammonium nitrate 0.2 kg,
- superphosphate 0.55 kg,
- magnesium 0.3 kg
- potassium 0.5 kg,
- boric acid 0.003 kg
- manganese sulphate 0.002 kg.
Mixed ingredients are diluted in 10 liters of water. To prepare the working solution, the mother liquor is diluted in a ratio of 1/100 liters. Periodically (once a day - two to the roots air is supplied). Do not allow glass wool to dry out. Moisten it with the same solution.
This is how a large tomato tree is grown. Photos of such plants you can see on the page. Growing this miracle is quite a laborious task. It is unlikely that too many gardeners will want to get a huge tree from the Octopus F1 variety. At least because of the lack of professional greenhouses on the plots. However, it is definitely worth trying to grow small trees in a barrel or bag during the warm season. If you follow all the recommendations, the harvest with this method of cultivation will probably turn out to be very good.
What is tamarillo: description and features of the plant
Tomato tree came to us from the expanses of South America. Since this continent has a warm climate, there this plant is considered an evergreen perennial and lives up to 10–15 years. In our latitudes in the conditions of open ground tamarillo grows only 1 year. however, perennial cultivation in the greenhouse with the maintenance of the appropriate temperature and room content is possible.
Tamarillo is also called sprut and tsifomandra. The plant belongs to the family of nightshade, in the conditions of wild nature it reaches a height of 5 meters. The diameter of the spreading crown can be 50 m². Oval wide leaves of saturated green color are covered with small villi that prevent the evaporation of moisture. Leaf plates can reach a length of 35 cm. The stem of a plant is fragile and brittle, although it is covered with tree bark. The root system is superficial, so the tree often grows aerial root processes for stability.
Flowers of a tomato tree, depending on a grade, can be white, white-pink or light-blue. Outwardly, they look like potato flowers. In the inflorescence there may be up to forty flowers, but more often there are 5–8 of them.
Tamarillo flowers are easily confused with potato flowers.
Tamarillo is a high-yielding plant. It begins to bear fruit in the second year after planting. The fruits are not very large, elongated, looks like tomatoes, but the taste is sweet, reminiscent of apricots and strawberries. For this reason, tamarillo is considered a fruit, not a vegetable. Each brush can have 5–6 fruits of 30 grams each. Their color may be orange or bright red. They are a two-chamber berry with elastic flesh and dense skin.
Tamarillo is a high-yielding crop with fruits similar in appearance to tomatoes.
Nowadays, tsifomandra is grown in Asia, East Africa and Australia. It is believed that the supplier of tamarillo top quality - New Zealand.
Now we know more than 30 varieties of tomato tree. But it should be borne in mind that not every one of them is suitable for us to grow not only in the open field, but even in indoor conditions. The following varieties are most popular in our latitudes:
- Beetroot Digomandra (Cyphomandra betacea) is an evergreen plant that is successfully grown in greenhouses and at home. This variety leaves are long, oval, fruits grow in dense clusters. Similar to ordinary tomatoes, not only in appearance but also in taste. Fruits of beetroot cyphomandry are similar to tomatoes and in appearance and taste.
- The digital tree tree (Cyphomandra abutiloides) grows in the form of a tree, the leaves look like an elongated heart. Small oval fruits can be yellow or orange. They taste sweet, so they are used for fruit salads, desserts and jam. Digimanda treelike Has sweet fruits, which are often used in the preparation of jams and desserts
- Octopus F1 - one of the types of tree tsifomandry. It is very popular in the Middle Belt, as it is adapted to the conditions of our climate. When grown in a greenhouse, one bush of this variety can produce about 10 kg of fruit in one season. The variety of Tsifomandra Sprut F1 is known to many of our gardeners
By the way, judging by the information from the forums, many novice amateur gardeners are confused in terms. Tomatoes, or tomato tree, tamarillo, tsifomandra ... As I noticed, many people call us tomato trees, which are customary to us, grown in a special way, thanks to which they grow to two or more meters in height. And their productivity increases significantly, which again makes them confused with tamarillo, which is famous for its high fruiting. As for the name "Tsifomandra", it turns out that there is such a variety of tomatoes, also high-yielding, and, moreover, large-fruited. But he has no direct relation to the plant considered in this article. Most likely, the confusion is due to the fact that all these cultures belong to the order of the nightshapes, because their names are associated with tomatoes (tomatoes). Still, be careful when choosing seeds, decide for yourself what you want: tomatoes or exotic fruits tamarillo. Because, despite the external similarity, after all, "as we say in Odessa, these are two big differences."
Dimensions of a greenhouse
For the cultivation of tomato tree are suitable for all types of greenhouses. The main thing is to provide constant heating and regular lighting. If you plan to provide the plant with conditions close to natural, in which it will live for many years, please note: the area of the room must be at least 50 m² and a height of 4 m.
In addition, you will need a large capacity to accommodate the root system. For example, an old bathtub is a good fit. Also prepare a cover of suitable size: you will need it in order to protect the roots from moisture loss in summer. Another small container should be nearby so that you can prepare nutrient solutions in it to feed the tomato tree.
If you do not have a room of suitable area, you can grow tamarillo in an ordinary greenhouse. But in this case, you can only rely on the seasonal production of fruits within 10 kg per plant, which will reach the size of a shrub. For comparison, an adult tomato tree, grown in its natural environment to huge sizes, gives up to 1500 kg of fruit.
Lighting and temperature
The development and yield of tamarillo is directly dependent on the appropriate indicators of temperature and illumination of the room, which must be ensured from the moment of sowing of the seeds until the ripening of the fruit.
A tomato tree needs light day with a duration of at least 12 hours, so the greenhouse must be equipped with sources of additional lighting - fluorescent lamps.
Tomato tree needs a lot of light and a warm climate
The optimum temperature for a plant in summer should be + 24 ... + 25 ° C, in winter - not lower than +19 ° C. Therefore, in the greenhouse spend heating or install heaters.
Features of soil preparation
For growing tamarillo is well suited to the soil, which is used for cultivation of ordinary tomatoes. The main condition is lightness, breathability and high nutritional value. This applies to growing both in the greenhouse and in the open field.
For tamarillo is suitable light nutrient soil with good breathability.
Since the tomato tree is very demanding on nutrition, use liquid fertilizers intended for ordinary tomatoes according to the instructions on the package to feed it. The use of fertilizers of prolonged action in the form of granules and sticks is also allowed.
After planting a tree, the soil around it must be mulched. For this is used claydite. It can be replaced by sphagnum moss.
Note! Tamarillo in terms of fertilizer is very voracious. Заранее запаситесь большим количеством составов для подкормки.
Можно посеять семена тамарилло в любое время года. Но многие опытные садоводы и огородники рекомендуют соблюдать сезонность и заняться посевом в конце зимы или самом начале весны.
- Семена в первую очередь нужно закалить. Для этого поместите их в холодильник и держите 12 там часов. После этого можно их сеять в предварительно подготовленные ёмкости для рассады. Это могут быть деревянные ящики или керамические горшки высотой не менее 15–20 см.
- Заполните ёмкости грунтом, хорошо разрыхлите. Deepen the seeds one by one to a depth of 1.5 cm, keeping a distance of 2–3 cm. Pour and cover the container with plastic film to ensure the effect of the greenhouse.
- Place the seed box on the windowsill with good lighting. Every day, open the film for airing. When the soil dries, water the planting with a small amount of water. Until the seeds have sprouted, provide good watering, warmth and ventilation to the crops.
- After the seeds have sprouted, plant them in separate small pots. Put them in a well-lit place. There they will grow until they reach the right size and are transplanted to a permanent place. The grown up and got stronger saplings spread on different capacities
How to care for seedlings
Seedlings require proper watering and timely fertilization.
- Watering should be done as the soil dries, 3-4 times a week. This is done exclusively through the pan, in which there are pots with holes in the bottom.
- Feeding is carried out at least once in 3-4 months. For this purpose, complex compositions for fertilizing tomatoes are used. Small, weak seedlings require more frequent feeding. Strictly follow the instructions on the package.
- If you grow seedlings in winter, irrigate no more than 1 time per week, and stop feeding.
Tamarillo care during growth
Proper planting of seedlings in the greenhouse - only the beginning of the cultivation of tomato tree. Now you need to follow the agrotechnology of cultivation, which is essential for the health and productivity of the plant.
At least once a week, apply organic fertilizer to the soil. Useful will be mineral compositions containing:
- boric acid,
- simple superphosphate,
- ammonium nitrate,
It is better to buy ready-made fertilizers in specialized stores.
For tamarillo feeding the same organomineral fertilizers are suitable as for tomatoes.
For the prevention of diseases, add iodine solution to the soil (1 bottle per 10 liters of water). Also, once a week it is useful to feed tamarillo with a solution of herbal infusion.
Note! In the first year after planting, the cyphokander should not bear fruit. She needs to spend all her strength on the formation of the stem and branches. No need for pasynkovanie, leave all the shoots intact.
As the tomato tree grows very large, it needs abundant watering. In hot sunny weather, it must be done daily. The soil under the tree should be constantly wet.
Fruit tree is better to water in the morning. The fact is that the peel of the fruit tends to expand in the morning and taper in the evening. If you water the plant twice a day, the moisture will tear the fruit from the inside and it will crack.
Thanks to compliance with agrotechnics and favorable conditions, the tree will give the first fruits in the middle of June and will bear fruit until autumn.
Features of growing tamarillo in open ground
Even in our climate, tomato tree can be grown in the garden, in an open area. It is better to use for this plant a hybrid variety Sprut. True, he will be one-year-old, but nonetheless will give you a good harvest.
Tamarillo can be grown in the open field, but the plant will grow only one year
- Caring for a tree will be simple, it differs little from caring for ordinary tomatoes. But it is very important to follow certain rules.
- Seeds for seedlings for subsequent transplantation into open ground need to be sown much earlier than for growing in a greenhouse. In winter, seedlings definitely need to provide intensive artificial lighting.
- Planted seedlings need when the soil warms up at least 5-8 degrees. You need to choose a suitable plot in the garden. For tomato tree varieties Sprut need good lighting.
- To activate the growth of new roots and the entire bush, before planting, pinch the main root.
- Seedlings are grown according to the pattern of 40 X 60 X 140 cm. This is due to the fact that an adult tree can reach 3-4 m in diameter.
- The size of the pit should correspond to the width of the root system. The depth of the hole is calculated individually for each bush, adding 10–15 cm to the length of the largest root.
- Tamarillo planted in open ground does not need to be staved, as is the case with planting in the greenhouse.
- Regularly feed in the same way as for greenhouse cultivation. Bring compost in large quantities directly under the root.
- Follow the rules for the prevention and control of diseases and pests. In the case of the Octopus variety, they are no different from how to protect ordinary tomatoes.
- To make the harvest big, tear off the old and yellow leaves from the bottom of the trunk. This should be started from the moment of ripening of the fruit from the first flower brush. Such measures will provide good airing, thanks to which the plant is less sick. When the fruit begins to ripen on the second hand, all the leaves from the first must be removed.
Is it possible to grow a tomato tree in a barrel?
If you live in a private house, you can grow tamarillo indoors, taking it out to the courtyard for the summer season, and bring it into the room for the winter. For this, any volume container, for example, a large barrel, is suitable. And planting a tree in the soil or greenhouse is not required.
Wooden barrel is an excellent container for growing garden plants, including tamarillo
Note! It is advisable to take a wooden barrel because the metal one can saturate the soil with iron oxides. Also, instead of a barrel, you can use large ceramic pots.
- The barrel is preferably cut in two parts across. The tamarillo root system does not need much depth, but space is required.
- Install the barrel in a suitable location so that it can be conveniently moved if necessary. The site should be lit, but sheltered from the winds. Tamarillo does not tolerate cold and drafts.
- Fill the barrel almost to the top with a nutrient primer mixture. Well-purchased soil for indoor plants with the addition of a small amount of manure or compost.
- Make a hole in the soil so deep that the roots of the seedling fit in it. Place the seedling in the hole, sprinkle with earth, slightly press the ground. Put the mulch around the plant. It is not necessary to mulch the soil very close to the trunk, as this can cause rotting.
- Carefully water the seedling. Watering should be carried out regularly and abundantly, especially in dry hot weather. Also, do not forget about liquid dressings at least once a month.
- The tree must be tied to a stick so that it does not roll, especially during fruit ripening.
- When the plant reaches a height of 1 meter, cut its tip to 10-15 cm. So tamarillo will grow not up, but in breadth. If there is no suitable barrel on hand, plant tamarillo in a beautiful ceramic pot.
I will tell you my story of growing tamarillo. I did not even know that this fruit was so called when they treated me a year ago, warning me that he needed to lie down and ripen for a couple of weeks. The girlfriend who gave it to her, just forgot the real name, said only that it was a tomato, but not a tomato at all. In the end, I found it on the Internet, read about an exotic fruit miracle and decided: why not try to grow it? There are seeds, there is a suitable pot, and I just bought the soil for seedlings. Especially since the taste seemed very interesting. The seeds came out pretty quickly, it seems, after 2 weeks. Divested the largest seedlings. Already in August, the trees reached a height of 40 cm and had several large full-fledged leaves. My joy knew no bounds, but then the unpleasant began. Although the tamarillo pots were in different places, insects were found on every plant. Simple manipulations in Google helped to find out that these are whiteflies. Tellingly, other flowers were healthy, so where did this attack come from, it remains unclear. In the house there were no drugs against insects. And besides, I read that tamarillo is almost not subject to any diseases or pests, so I did not expect a trick. I tried to treat with a remedy for pediculosis and an insecticide for cats - it did not help. I decided to go to extreme measures, bought the drug Aktara and shed them plants 3 times with an interval of 7 days. The whiteflies have disappeared, but the leaves have fallen. The plants almost died, but eventually the buds appeared on the remaining stumps, and then new leaves. In general, for a couple of months my tamarillo returned to the previous form. This year, I think, it will be possible to wait for the harvest, because we are already blooming!
Reviews of Internet users about tamarillo and its cultivation
I grow it, until fructification has not yet reached, but this is clear: very large leaves, some with the size of a large frying pan, the smell of the leaves is specific. That is a rather big plant, and, according to eyewitness accounts from 2 meters in height, begins to bear fruit. The treatment is simple, it is a kind of tomato.
icy absent, Armavir, Russia
About 15 years ago, I read about this plant in the Floristry magazine - what a wonderful fruit it is, what tasty fruits, etc. I bought seeds from “phytoncide grandmothers” and planted this miracle. A huge "tree" has grown into a single trunk with very large horribly smelly leaves. The tsifomandr grew strictly into one stem, no pinching and shortening of the top of the branch helped, and the magazine said that it only fruited on n-order shoots. When the plant overgrown beyond the upper limit of the window opening, I cut off a 20–30 cm cutting rooted it and everything started all over again. I fought with her like that for several years, then I got tired and I attached her.
And about three years ago, she accidentally saw the fruits of cyphomandry in the supermarket and naturally bought it to try. If I had known what “unearthly” taste they were, I would not have suffered with this plant for so long
and I, and I have a tomarillo =))))) bought the cuttings, already 3 times transferred to a larger pot. the roots are really a rod, and in the sun the stalk thickens instantly ... only here the sun has little, slowed down a little
The tomato tree is not able to tolerate our winters, since the most favorable temperature for it in winter is 10 degrees Celsius. When frozen, the tree may die, especially if they are protracted. Very hot summer for tomato tree is also destructive. Digomandra, or a tomato tree, will hardly survive the strong wind, since its root system is superficial and the branches are very fragile. All these factors make the cultivation of tomato tree is very problematic.
Kvi, Donetsk, Ukraine
I also came across this tomato tree quite by accident, so the name of the variety is not known, the friend gave a couple of seeds, we laughed even then, where we’ll take the stairs for harvesting. In general, I liked the variety, the fruits were delicious. It didn’t grow very large, probably didn’t measure about 2 meters, maybe even more. But we planted it in open ground, and not in the greenhouse, it was available to us almost until mid-October, and if it were not for the change in the weather, it would still be impossible to grow much, as it was not going to turn yellow. This year I will try to plant again Now I know what the seeds are called.
Galinamillen, Donetsk, Ukraine
Tomato tree - this tale is not for us! It can be grown only in industrial year-round heated and illuminated greenhouses!
Volzhanka, Volgograd Region
I will add about Tamarillo (tsifomandra).
You can get plant seeds by purchasing the tamarillo you like at the supermarket. Fresh seeds sprout in 4–6 days very amicably. If the seeds are old, dried, then they may not sprout for a very long time. Seedlings come into fruition in the second year, if suddenly a flower brush appears in the first year, it should be cut off to give the tree a good development. It is better if the beginning of budding occurs at the end of winter, and not in November. In poor conditions, or from the seeds of species, tsifomandra in general can bloom only in the third year.
Who should grow tamarillo? Not all. The plant has a specific aroma and large size, because it is better to grow it in a spacious bright room, where no one settles for the night. The most convenient way to grow in a country house is to make it easier to roll out a tub with tamarillo in the garden. Unfortunately, it is advisable to plant in open ground in our country unless somewhere in the area of Sochi.
The road will be mastered by going, as popular wisdom says. So, it is quite possible for us to grow even such a capricious, demanding tree as tamarillo. The main thing is to start, all the more so because it is such an exciting activity, and the joy of a rich harvest always covers all efforts. We hope that our advice will help you to do everything right if you want to have a tomato tree in your home, garden or greenhouse. Or maybe you are already growing tamarillo? Then share your experiences with us in the comments. Good luck and good harvests!