Among the many varieties of hydrangea paniculata is quite whimsical, which require careful maintenance. However, there are such varieties, the care of which does not take much time and effort.
One of them is the hydrangea paniculata "Fraiz Melba". This relatively new variety has already managed to win the sympathy of gardeners due to its unpretentiousness, frost resistance and surprisingly beautiful flowering.
In the article you will learn everything about the care and planting of hydrangea paniculata, Fraise Melba, as well as see the photo and description of the plant.
Description of hydrangea Fraise Melba
The variety appeared in Russia in 2014. This is a fairly large plant, its bush reaches 2 m in height. But at the same time it is very compact, but due to its hard and weakly branched shoots it does not break up and does not require a garter. The branches of the shrub have a bright maroon color, older ones take on a brown tint.
The leaves of the plant have a dark green color. They are attached to shoots on long stalks of coral-red hue. Blade narrow, round shape. The leaf has a simple shape, a pointed tip and a wedge-shaped base.
Small flowers of hydrangea "Fraze Melba" are collected in very large pyramidal inflorescences. Usually they are up to 40 cm in length, and sometimes, under favorable conditions, they reach 55 cm. At first, the flowers have a milky white shade, but gradually turn pink and eventually turn reddish. The top of the inflorescence remains white for a long time, while its bottom acquires a bright reddish hue.
Flowering bushes begins in mid-July and may continue until the first frost. This variety has a very long flowering and long revives the landscape with bright colors.
The shrub is very undemanding and can grow and bloom under various external conditions. It is quite shade tolerant and grows well in partial shade. Another of its features is undemanding to the composition of the soil. The plant is resistant to diseases and very unpretentious.
Variety "Fraise Melba" is frost-resistant, used for planting not only in the middle lane, but even in Siberia. Maintains frosts to-30 ... -35 ° C. In regions where the temperature may fall below this mark, it is recommended to cover bushes for the winter.
Photo hydrangea Fraise Melba
Landing and site selection
When choosing a place for planting hydrangea "Frize Melba" should be considered:
- Soil moisture,
Unpretentious plant feels good both in the sun and in partial shade. But it is desirable that at midday the sun does not fall on a young bush. The place is chosen so that during the day the plants are protected from direct rays. Also, do not plant a bush in a very shaded place.
You can not choose for planting wetlands. Ideal for a plant is a place where the soil remains wet for a long time. But even in dry areas, hydrangea Fraise Melba can grow with regular watering.
It is advisable to choose a place for the bush, protected from strong gusts of wind. A fence or wall of the house will be suitable for protection.
Pancake hydrangea Fraise Melba is planted in the spring, when the soil is warm enough and there will be no frost.
For the plant it is necessary to dig a planting hole with a diameter of at least 50 cm and the same depth. The pit is shed with water, and the next day they begin to land.
A drainage layer should be laid on the bottom of the landing pit. from broken brick, and then fill it with nutritious soil. To the ground, taken out of the pit, it is recommended to add:
All components take in equal parts. The pit is filled 1/3, the roots of the seedling straighten in the pit and fall asleep with the prepared soil. After planting, the plant should be watered and shaded for 2-3 weeks.
For the normal development of the bush and its long flowering it is necessary to ensure:
- Regular watering,
- Soil mulching
- Top dressing
- Annual pruning,
- Preparing for the winter.
Care must be taken to ensure that the soil under the Frais Melba hydrangea bush is wet.. To do this, the plant is watered with cold distilled water. For watering enough 10 liters of water for 1 bush. In spring and autumn it is recommended to water every week during dry weather, and in summer in the heat - 2 times a week.
Variety of hydrangea paniculata - Phantom
Mulch pristvolny circle of the bush after the first watering. The earth around the trunk is covered with a layer of sawdust, crushed bark or peat. The layer of mulch should be at least 7 cm. It protects the soil well from drying out, and the root system - from overheating in the summer heat. Over time, the mulch rot and becomes an excellent fertilizer for hydrangea Fraise Melba.
For proper development, the plant needs additional feeding. It is carried out during the growing season and flowering 2 times a month. It is advisable to alternate between organic and mineral supplements. For this variety, lime supplementation is necessary, which is carried out monthly.
When grown in regions where the temperature in winter does not fall below 30 ° C, the preparation of the shrub for winter consists only in carrying out the autumn pruning. In areas with a harsh climate, it is recommended to shelter this plant for the winter. Usually around the bush erect a frame, which is covered with a film. Then, when snow falls, the top of the film is covered with snow. You can also use spruce branches or dry foliage.
About hydrangea disease can be found here.
Reproduction and pruning
There are the following methods of breeding paniculate hydrangea "Fraise Melba":
- Dividing a bush
Cutting - the easiest and most productive way to get new copies. Material harvested during spring pruning shrubs. Cuttings up to 15 cm long are cut from remote young shoots. They are added dropwise in a container with a nutrient substrate for rooting and subsequent rearing.
Cuttings take root and grow very quickly. It is recommended to plant them in open ground next spring. In winter, the container with the cuttings is transferred to a closed room.
Cuttings can be obtained from the lowest long branches of the plant. They should not be fresh, but necessarily semi-lignified.
The shoot is cut below the kidney to the middle of its thickness, a match is inserted into the cut and dropped in at the cut site. For reliability, the branch is fixed to the soil using studs.
Layers need to be watered regularly so that it takes root. Usually by the fall of the layering root. But they are separated from the adult plant and planted in the ground only after 1-2 years, when the young bush already reaches a height of 50 cm.
Learn more about the reproduction of garden hydrangeas here.
There are the following types of trimming hydrangea "Fraise Melba":
Formative pruning is carried out in the spring before the kidneys awaken. At this time, remove all branches, thickening crown. The longest shoots are shortened by 2/3, the rest are pruned, giving the crown the desired shape. During the formative pruning, frozen and broken branches are also cut.
Sanitary pruning is carried out after flowering in early November. Remove all dried shoots over the summer. Dried inflorescences are cut together with 1-2 lower buds. If the bush is very old, at this time you can spend a rejuvenating short pruning. At the same time, they cut out all the old and weak branches, and the rest are greatly shortened, leaving 2-3 buds on them.
Like this article? Share it with your friends on social networks:
Application of hydrangea in the design of the site
In most cases, hydrangea is a capricious plant. She needs daily watering, periodic feeding and pruning throughout the growing season. But not all species are demanding care. A particular type of shrub has been developed - Fraise Melba, which feels great in all weather conditions. The shrub has the best qualities inherent in the magnificently flowery beauty.
Description and advantages of the variety
The breeding of hydrangea Fraise Melba was done by a French breeder. After long labors and attempts to grow an unpretentious shrub, he managed to present to the society in 2014 a charming and carefree beauty - Hydrangea Fraise Melba. Shrub is a tall plant, reaching 2 meters in height. But at the same time, the bush does not look wide or careless. It is compact, due to the fact that lateral branches are weakly developed in hydrangea. The main stem stands firm support. Due to this, the flowering hydrangea bush does not require specific support during flowering.
The appearance of the first buds is fixed at the beginning of the second month of summer and continues until the arrival of the first sub-zero temperatures. In each region, the end of the formation of inflorescences is detected differently. In addition, the hydrangea of this species has good winter hardiness. Therefore, the shrub is not afraid of a strong decrease in temperature in Siberia and the Urals.
Inflorescences of hydrangea is not only distinguished by upright stems, but also by an amazing size of inflorescences. Small flowers are collected in one panicle, reaching 45-50 cm in length. The structure of the connections is dense, all the flowers sit close to each other. The panicle has a pointed shape.
Initially, when blooming, the inflorescences have a white tint, but over time, the buds gradually become pink, and then a crimson tone or a red-wine color.
The foliage of the plant has an elongated, spiky format. The leaves are smooth, glossy tone. They are attached to the main stalk with the help of small petioles that have a red-brown shade. The plant in most cases does not require abundant sunlight, so it can be planted in partial shade. When planting requires a wet drained soil.
The advantages of hydrangea Frize Melba include the following points:
- Immune to pests and diseases.
- Does not have increased requirements for the soil substrate.
- Because of the rather rigid structure of the stems, it does not need a specific backwater or a garter.
- Excellent live in the shade.
- Despite its size, does not occupy a large place on the plot.
- The inflorescences of the shrubs are the highlight of each flower bed.
- Flowering lasts a long period of time.
- Does not require increased care for their accommodation.
- Not afraid of severe frosts, so it has the ability to bloom in places with low temperatures.
The only requirement for long-term flowering is shrub pruning. The procedure should be carried out during the laying of flower buds, for abundant flowering, and also as the buds bloom.
To plant the plant so that it develops well and blooms smartly, it is recommended to choose a special place where hydrangea Frayz Melba will feel great.
To do this, consider some of the parameters for the selection of shrubs:
- The shrub feels great on a sunny open area, and in the twilight. The ideal location would be a bright place, with a sufficient number of luminous rays, but at the same time it is recommended that during the midday sultry direct streams of light, the shrub should be protected by shadow. Planting plants should not be made in a place with a predominant shadow. It is recommended to root a seedling on a plot where there is a small amount of sunlight.
- Strongly does not suit the soil with wetland. Although hydrangea prefers the land with high humidity, but marshy soils provoke only rotting of the root system. Also, arid lands do not have the ability to grow a full-fledged shrub with abundant flowering. Therefore, if planting is carried out on such a territory, then it is worthwhile to make the required amount of nutrient moisture daily. Otherwise, the plant simply dries.
- To prevent the bush from breaking under strong winds, it is recommended to choose a place near the fence or on the south side of the building. In addition, the plant can get sick in a piercing constant draft. Therefore, it is recommended that before disembarking, it is better to inspect all the marked places and select the optimal site.
- Landing should be carried out in the spring, after the last spring frosts have gone. At this moment, the soil should warm up well by 10-15 cm, and a constant positive temperature will be established on the street.
- The soil should be picked fertile, loamy soil substrate. The soil should have a slightly acidified pH. Soils with a large amount of contained limestone, as well as sandstone, should be avoided.
As reproduction, to obtain the second copy of the original, the following reproduction methods are used:
- Cutting is a reliable method for obtaining an original plant. In the spring, small shoots are required to be cut, up to 12–15 cm in size. Planting material is taken from those branches that were cut during the period of formative pruning. The resulting processes are dropped at an acute angle in a nutrient moist soil, and covered with plastic wrap on top. This is necessary to reproduce the greenhouse conditions required for rapid germination. Cuttings in wet soil and elevated temperature quickly form young roots go into growth as an independent plant. Transplantation for permanent residence in the open ground is carried out for the next year. In winter, the containers with the received new plants should be moved into a warm room.
- Getting a new plant can be made by rooting cuttings. The latter should be semi-woody. Planting material should not be one-year or with fully woody branches. The lowermost branches of the shrub are selected. Selected shoots are cut in the crook of the selected bud, almost to the middle of the shoot. A match is inserted into it so that it does not grow back together. Then the shoot is pinned to the ground with a hook or hairpin. A small lump of earth is piled on top of the place of attachment. Escape should be watered periodically, so that he quickly began to form the root system and independently rooted. The choice of shoot and its dropping can be done at almost any time of the vegetative period. But it is best to carry out the procedure in the spring. Over the summer, the shoot will fully take root and form a developed root system. The following year, in the spring, the young shrub can be completely disconnected from the mother shrub and transplanted to a new place of residence.
- To obtain a new seedling by dividing the rhizomes, the mother bush, when it reaches 4-5 years of age, is dug out of the ground and neatly separated using a garden file. The rhizome should be separated in such a way that there are several well-developed shoots on the received young bush. Slice sprinkled with powdered activated carbon and planted in a new place of residence. This breeding method is extremely rare. It involves the transfer of the mother liquor, which almost never takes place. Therefore, to obtain new seedlings, the breeding method is used either by layering or grafting.
How to care for the plant?
After planting young seedlings should be care. It consists in the following positions:
- Loosening the root area - the procedure is performed before irrigation. This is necessary to eliminate weeds that grow near the root system and feed on the nutrients necessary for the growth and development of the shrub. And also to get the bush the necessary oxygen in the required amount and the rapid absorption of nutrient moisture during watering.
- Watering - should be carried out regularly as needed. It is not necessary to transfuse a plant, its root system negatively reacts to the increased humidity. When overflow occurs, the rotting of rhizomes or the development of pathogenic bacteria.
- Mulching is carried out to ensure that the soil under the shrub evaporates moisture as long as possible. This process has a beneficial effect on the hydrangea, not allowing it to dry out. In addition, when using mulch from the soil, weeds cannot germinate. Mulching is done after making the first feed water under the shrub. As mulch wood bark or small dried sawdust is used, as well as finely chopped peat.
- Top dressing - carried out in the spring, and then during the growing season 2 times a month. It is required to alternate mineral and organic fertilizers. Mandatory should be dressing with lime 1 time in 28 days.
Thus, excessive care for plant development is not required. The main thing is to carry out periodic watering and feeding. If you provide the plant with mulch, then it will get rid of the need to loosen the soil and clean it from fast-growing weeds for a long period.
Trimming and preparation for winter
Removal of excess branches for the Frais Melba shrub can be made both in the autumn period after flowering and in the spring before the bud break. It is better to carry out the procedure in the spring.
To maintain the gorgeous appearance of the hydrangea, the following types of pruning are carried out:
- Формирующая – необходима для молодых саженцев. Если кустарник имеет всего 2-3 небольшие росточка, то их без сожаления следует обрезать, так чтобы побеги от разветвления составляли не больше 20-25 см. это необходимо, чтобы кустарник начинал больше ветвиться. Larger bushes should be cut to 1/3 of the total volume of the plant. In addition, all weak, non-viable and damaged branches are eliminated.
- Sanitary - held in late November, after the flowering of the plant. All shoots that have dried over the summer period are eliminated, as well as those that have been mechanically damaged or affected by pathogenic bacteria or parasites. Also removed the faded shoots. They are eliminated along with 2–3 lower buds.
- Thinning - pruning branches, thickening the internal structure of the shrub. These shoots grow into the bush, provoking a beneficial environment for the formation of pathogenic bacteria and colonization of parasites. It is necessary to carefully examine the internal arrangement of the skeletal branches and to direct them correctly, to control the density, by removing excess seed.
- Rejuvenating - if the shrub hydrangea becomes old, it is recommended to rejuvenate. For the variety Fraise, Melba has not yet developed a specific trim, due to the fact that the plant was presented only 3 years ago and has not yet reached old age. Therefore, a standard pruning procedure for an adult bush is used. To do this, all the old branches are eliminated, only strong and powerful young shoots are left. In order for the plant to develop faster, it is necessary to additionally eliminate all weak sprouts.
In addition to pruning, should prepare the plant for winter. In regions where the temperature regime does not fall below -30 C, additional shelters are not required for successful wintering of the Frize Melba shrub except for proper pruning.
If the shrub is located in the northern regions of the country, although the hydrangea and has a high frost resistance, young seedlings are recommended to cover the shoots and root system. For this, a frame is constructed in a circle near the sapling, on which a covering material or film is put on top. After snow fall, a large snow drift is superimposed on the base. In this form, the plant is perfectly preserved and does not freeze.
Possible problems with growing
In most cases, hydrangea Fraze Melba does not respond to parasites or pathogenic bacteria. But in some situations, with improper placement or excessive watering, the plant can be subjected to the formation of the following diseases:
- Gray rot.
- White rot.
- Mealy dew.
- Wilting tracheomycous character.
To eliminate the disease, you should use chemical fungicides and irrigate the shrubs as you acquire the disease, preferably in the initial stages. Otherwise, the infection spreads over large areas and completely destroys the plant.
In case the leaves on the hydrangeas began to dry out and systematically fall off, you should check whether there are parasitic insects in the middle of the shrub. The following pests can settle on the plant and spoil its appearance:
If there are a small number of parasitic individuals, they should be removed mechanically, manually assembled. Otherwise, you should resort to popular methods of struggle or chemical irrigation of the bush. In order for the plant to grow large, elegant and richly bloom, it is recommended to monitor the external condition. If pathogenic bacteria or parasites are detected, measures should be taken immediately, and not wait until the plant is completely covered with the disease.
Selection and varietal characteristics
The plant is bred by domestic breeders only recently - only in 2014. To date, however, this Hydrangea Paniculata has already won the hearts of numerous gardeners, as well as several medals at exhibitions. Note the simplicity of the plant, increased frost resistance and at the same time, amazingly luxurious flowering.
Shrub high - pulled out by two meters, however, its width is quite compact, it does not take up too much space on the garden bed. The shoots are very tough, branching weakly: thanks to this particular feature, the bush does not fall apart and does not need a garter.
At the beginning of growth, shoots are colored in a burgundy shade, as they grow older they turn brown. Foliage of a characteristic oblong shape, dark green shade.
Individual flowers of small diameter are collected in very lush, representative inflorescences. The shape of the resulting caps is tapered with a narrow end. The length of the inflorescence reaches 40 cm, sometimes 55 cm.
Coloring of flowers is interesting: at first they are milky, gradually acquire a pinkish hue, and by the autumn turn into a rich red with a wine subtone. The top of the inflorescence always remains white, while the lower part darkens (see photo). The middle is thus pink. It turns out a kind of gradient, very attractive and unusual. The flowering period begins in mid-summer and lasts until the autumn frosts.
A remarkable feature - flowering occurs literally in the first year after planting. And in subsequent years, even if during the winter the bush was damaged by frost, it will bloom anyway.
But in order to hydrangea bloomed magnificently, it necessarily requires pruning. This is probably the only condition that in this case can not be neglected. Pruning should be annual and include several stages.
- The plant has a rare immunity to pests and diseases.
- Hydrangea does not impose special requirements for the substrate, does not need a garter or support.
- May grow in partial shade.
- Provided very high growth space on the site takes a bit.
- Outwardly it looks unusual, elegant, makes a highlight in any flower garden.
- The flowering period is long.
- The care is simple, the plant is not capricious.
- High resistance to frost, which in our climate is very important. The best option for growing in the difficult climate of the Urals or Siberia.
Lighting and location
The plant has no special claims to the choice of its location: planting hydrangea Freize Melba is permissible both in partial shade and in the sun. It is important, however, to protect the flower from the direct sun at noon. Strong shadow does not fit.
Since this is a hydrangea, the level of soil moisture is very important. Pick a place so that the roots of the flower remain hydrated for a long time. Dry areas are permissible only in those cases, if you have the possibility of frequent watering of the plant.
In general, the plant is frost resistant. Derived by domestic breeders, this hydrangea is able to withstand temperatures down to -30-35 degrees. And it is without shelter. If in your region frosts fall in winter and lower, take care of sheltering hydrangea in the fall.
Also take care that the flower is protected from gusty winds and drafts. Hydrangea does not like sudden changes in temperature. Optimally plant it under the protection of the wall of the house or the fence on the north side.
This flower will not live without moisture - like all hydrangeas, Fraise Melba is very dependent on water. Plant it in a well-moistened soil (but not in the marshy!), And do not forget about regular watering during the cultivation process. If the summer is hot, watering is required daily - only this approach will allow to preserve the health and external beauty of the plant.
To grow this beauty should be in a fertile substrate, with a predominance of clay. The soil should have a slightly acidic reaction - this will ensure the brightness of the buds. Having planted a plant in alkaline soil, limy, you receive ordinary-looking inflorescences of a pale shade.
So, we learned what the hydrangea Fraise Melba is. This amazing shrub amazes with its exquisite beauty and gradient unusual caps of flowers. Due to the fact that the variety is domestic, it is unpretentious and adapted to the conditions of our climate, external environment and soil.
We will find out what kind of care will ensure the prosperous livelihoods and long flowering of this magnificent ornamental shrub.
Since the root system of the plant is superficial, it cannot take moisture from the deep layers of the soil. That is why regular and fairly abundant watering is so important when growing a flower. Watering should start in spring, barely begin to form buds and finish just before the snow falls in the fall. It is recommended to moisten the plant especially abundantly before wintering: this will increase the frost resistance of its roots.
The average frequency of irrigation in normal weather - twice a week. If the street is too dry and hot, watering is carried out in 2-3 days. And in wet, rainy weather, it is better to wait a little with the regular moistening procedure to prevent the formation of a swamp in the flower bed.
Water should be used soft and not too cold. Preliminarily defend tap water, otherwise due to the high content of chlorine and lime it will quickly make the soil alkaline.
Important: after irrigation, it is recommended to mulch the land in a flower bed. This technique will help keep the roots moist for a longer period.
In early spring you need to feed the hydrangea full complex fertilizer. During the period of bud formation, a second feeding is carried out using fertilizers with a low nitrogen content. In the autumn, it is recommended to add potassium and phosphorus to better prepare the roots of the plant for the upcoming cold weather.
Hortensia Fraze Melba is pruned annually. Carry out the procedure in the spring, choosing the time early, before the sap. When pruning, shrub all shoots should be shortened by about a third of the length; if the branches are damaged, then more. Be sure to get rid of the shoots growing inside the crown and frozen over the winter, weak, rotten.
Consider that flower buds form in this case on last year’s shoots and the current year. Therefore, you can safely and without consequences to part with all the shoots older than two years of age, and if you have the same age and shoots with new buds, you should leave as much as possible.
It should be noted that the plant is transported easily and quickly after it is restored, it increases the previous volume and pomp. Even on the contrary, after regular pruning the shrub as if comes to life, becomes more beautiful and elegant. By that, he already gets rid of many pests and diseases by removing old broken branches.
If, after pruning, quality shoots remain, they can easily be used for further rooting. This is what most competent gardeners do. Note that semi-woody cuttings of hydrangea rooted after cutting rooted by almost 100%.
Attention: if the main procedure is carried out in the fall, then only sanitary pruning is needed in the spring. But in the fall shoots are recommended to shorten more - two-thirds of the length.
The plant possesses quite decent frost resistance, therefore there are no particular problems with its wintering. Without shelter the shrub survives even 29-degree frosts, but only if they are short-lived. If the climate in your region is more severe, it is recommended to warm the plant before winter.
If we are talking about hydrangeas of the first and second year of life, they are recommended to warm in any case. This does not require much effort - you just need to overlay the shrub with spruce spruce leaves, sprinkle bark circle with bark, sawdust or dry straw.
Important: frost resistance of the plant becomes higher with age.
We met with a beautiful hydrangea called Fraise Melba. This garden shrub throughout the summer pleases with its beauty, has a high cold resistance, not too demanding to care. It is easy to grow a flower: applying in practice the simple recommendations from our article, an inexperienced gardener will cope with the task.
Freize Melba - the decoration of the dacha
The painstaking work of breeders, which lasted for ten years, was crowned with success and the beauty woman, fraterness of melba, hydrangea, an ornamental shrub of unprecedented shape and beauty, was presented to the attention of flower growers. Its world premiere took place not so long ago - in 2014, but, despite the fact that not much time has passed since then, it has already managed to win global popularity.
In each flower, you can see an unusual color scheme - an amazing transition from bright crimson to white, passing along the edge of the petals. Such an unusual coloring immediately attracted attention, and the hydrangea won the love and popularity of growers lovers.
The description of the shrub would be incomplete if it were not for its external data. Hydrangea grows up to two meters in height and width, has strong, powerful branches growing to the top.
Hortensia fraise melba is not afraid of frost, it is growing rapidly, taking care of it will not require much time and energy from the owner. It serves as an excellent decoration of the summer cottage, and its petals, dried in the sun, retain their aroma for a long time and can be a colorful component of the flower arrangements that adorn the interior.
Planting and care, you need to know
It is known that the human skeleton cannot function normally without calcium intake, but not everyone knows that fraise melba shoots without calcium cannot grow to the proper extent, therefore hydrangea loves lime. To keep the planting and planting correct, lime is added in small quantities to prevent excessive soil liming.
Hydrangea is a moisture-loving shrub, so planting should end with abundant watering, and care includes frequent watering, on hot days it is done daily.
The plant grows well in light shade, preferably from tall trees, it quickly grows in size and blooms for a long time.
Meet - hydrangea paniculata, care for a new French star
This beauty, the name of which Paniculata Vanilla Fraze, has one distinctive feature - flowering can be expected as early as the first year after planting. Flowering occurs regardless of whether the bush is damaged by frost or not, it is quickly restored, and in this case it does not need additional care.
The paniculate form differs from the tree structure in that its inflorescences are about 30 centimeters in diameter, but not spherical in shape, but resemble lilac, but experienced growers say that the tree shrub tolerates cold winters better. Although there are cases where the Vanilla Fraze and in forty-degree frost remained intact.
Hortensia paniculata pleases with its flowering for a long time, you can admire flowers from the second half of July until the beginning of frosts, and the color palette of inflorescences can change: whites turn pink and vice versa. If you provide the shrub with the right care, then one plant will please and surprise with a wide range of color palette. In addition, the fact that the plant is an old-timer is considered surprising, its age can be up to 40 years.
Hydrangea will demonstrate gorgeous flowering, and rapid growth if you create a minimum of conditions for it, the main one of which is soil. When growing seedlings, remember that they love the soil that is well hydrated and rich in minerals and trace elements. Leafy ground, sand, humus and peat - this is the environment in which Vanilla Fraise will feel comfortable. Unlike fraise melba, it does not need lime, on the contrary, it can have a disastrous effect on the plant.
It is recommended to feed the bush with saltpeter, slurry, this will provide abundant flowering in the current and next year. In the fall, nitrogen fertilizers do not apply, it will lead to the fact that wintering hydrangeas will be very difficult, the presence of ash in the soil is just as dangerous. It is necessary to mulch the soil regularly, this will protect the roots from overheating, which may be indicated by flowers fading ahead of time, wilted leaves and a falling apart bush. We need to monitor the weeds and remove them in a timely manner.
To flower stalks were large, do not imprison the beauty in direct sunlight. Perhaps the plant will not die under the scorching sun, but you will not have to see large flower stalks. The size of the flowers is affected by the regularity of spring pruning, the shorter they are, the better for the shrub.
The shoots, unlike the usual Fraze Melba, are fragile, so if you place it under the roof, you risk finding the shoots broken. The inflorescences after the end of flowering in the fall pruned, cut off in the spring sick and dry shoots. But autumn pruning inflorescences is not mandatory. You can not do this, in this case, the winter garden will have a special charm and appeal.
Information for beginners:
- surprisingly, aphid rarely sit on the hydrangea, this plant is of little interest to insects,
- it is unlikely that your beauty will get sick, it is a sustainable variety. Diseases can begin only if the hydrangea grows in a corner with a lack of sunny color, or with improper feeding, when all crops are watered with the same fertilizer, or if there is no access to fresh air,
Many people prefer to combine the two types of hydrangeas described above at their summer cottages. They make excellent landscape compositions that delight the owner and skillfully demonstrate his delicate taste. They harmoniously look in tandem with rhododendrons, phloxes, highlander, cuff or stonecrop. But the landing along the birch trees, recommended by many specialists in landscape design, will be associated with a number of problems. Чтобы не возникло конкуренции за влагу, лучше практиковать такие комбинации в районах с влажным климатом.
В результате долгой десятилетней работы селекционеры вниманию общественности в 2014 году was introduced новый сорт метельчатая fraise melba. Это декоративный куст неземной красоты. С тех пор она стала очень популярной среди флористов, ландшафтных дизайнеров и простых садоводов.
Цветки этого кустарника очень необычного цвета: ярко – малиновый цвет плавно переходит в белый. Цветки крупные и яркие. Shrub grows to two and a half meters in height and width.
This grade frost hardy enough and care for her does not require a lot of time and effort. She has very pleasant smell and very beautiful appearance.
Fortunately for many gardeners and gardeners, this variety is rarely exposed to diseases and pest attacks, but like all plants it can get a fungal or viral infection, such as:
- Gray or white rot,
- Powdery mildew,
With these diseases can be fought with the help of fungicides as well as treatment and prophylaxis.
If the leaves of the shrub began to fall off and dry, then it is necessary to check the plant for the presence of pests. Hortensia can be affected by such pests:
- Spider mite,
To rid the plant of pests need to spray it with insecticides or use a soap solution.
Features of hydrangea
- Hortensia is rarely attacked by aphids.
- Hortensia is almost not sick. This can only happen if it is planted in the wrong place, is fed incorrectly or grows in the area where direct sunlight falls on it.
- It tolerates winter frosts very well.
- Not demanding on the composition of the soil.
- The color of the inflorescences may vary depending on the duration of flowering. Pink flowers turn into white, and white into pink.
Many gardeners began to plant in this garden precisely this sort of hydrangea, which adorn any landscape composition with its lush bright color. Hortensia looks great next to phlox, cuff and highlander. It is not recommended to plant it near the birch trees, as it very much takes moisture from the soil, and hydrangeas really need water. You can combine several types of hydrangeas in one composition, it looks very beautiful. Thanks to its tough branches, the bush does not break up, but keeps its shape. With proper care, hydrangea will delight for many years with its flowering and variety of colors.
The specified grade of paniculate hydrangea saw the world relatively recently - in 2014, the year. French breeders have been working on its creation for a whole decade. As a result, they received an amazing ornamental flowering shrub that quickly gained popularity among gardeners. The breeder Jean Reno became the direct author of this variety. He bred a variety in the middle of the last century. Russian lovers of varietal plants found out about Fraise Melbe at the Gardens and People exhibition, where the hybrid was presented.
Description of appearance and features
It is difficult not to pay attention to this amazing hydrangea. Shrub from 1.7 to 2.1 meters high and about 2 meters wide is formed of straight-growing shoots, not prone to branching and having a maroon-brownish tint. The shoots are equipped with simple, single egg-shaped leaflets with a pointed end, with a smooth shiny surface and jagged, raised edges, which makes them look like miniature boats. Interesting fact: the leaves of Frayz are melba colored in dark green, and the petioles on which they “sit” are bright, coral-red. But the most attractive in this class, undoubtedly, are inflorescences. Dense, in the form of a pyramid or a cone, they are downright huge - 30-40, and sometimes up to 45 cm in length. The color of sterile flowers, densely located throughout the volume of the inflorescence, changes twice during the flowering season. With the onset of this period, it is milky white, in the middle of the phase turns into pale pink, and at the end it acquires a rich wine tinge of red. It should be noted that at the beginning of blooming the flowers are not snow-white at all, but yellowish-greenish.
Flowering paniculate hydrangea lasts from mid-July until late autumn, until frost begins. By the way, the cold of this plant is not so terrible, because the variety has high winter hardiness. For this reason, it can be cultivated in the northern latitudes of our country. The luxurious flower is immune to most bacterial and fungal diseases. Not interested in Fraise Melba and insect pests. Because of the stiffness and flexibility of the shoots, the ornamental shrub does not need support, does not require tying.
Fraise Melbu actively used in landscape design. With the participation of this variety create elegant garden compositions. The flower ensembles consisting of different types of paniculate hydrangea attract the eye. The plant goes well with cuffs, phlox, rhododendrons and stonecrop. It is possible to form beds with 3-4 shrubs of this culture. But in any case, do not plant a flower next to the birch trees, so as not to deprive it of moisture.
Hortensia Frize Melba blooms profusely almost from spring to autumn. The color spectrum of the hybrid gives unusual transitions from crimson to white shades that adorn the edges of the petal part, elongated in the shape of an elongated pyramid.
A distinctive feature of the plant is its flowering in the first year after planting. Moreover, this process is independent of the condition of the bush. Additional care for the hybrid is not needed. The paniculate form of Fraise differs from its ancestors by its increased frost resistance, the ability to change color throughout the year: the pink petals turn white, and the light ones get a crimson color. The plant can live 30-40 years
Hortensia Frize Melba
The history of the creation of a hybrid and technical data
This type of hydrangea Fraise Melba Renba brought in the middle of the 20th century. Jean Reno. Then, the selection of scientists focused on obtaining panilla varieties Vanilla. Long-term experiments ended in 2014 with the creation of a hybrid Hydrangea Fraise Melba, which immediately gained worldwide popularity. The reason for all the opportunity to breed it in different climatic conditions.
Technical characteristics of the plant:
- The height of the bush ranges from 1.7 to 2.1 m. The branches are rigid, almost straight, painted in burgundy color with a brown tint.
- The leaves are ordinary, narrow, with the serrated structure of the raised edges, are egg-shaped. They form a "boat". Painted in dark shades of green.
- Inflorescence is like a pyramid. The average length is 0.3-0.4 m, and with appropriate care, the size increases to 0.45-0.55 m.
Hortensia Frize Melba
- they are densely located around the cone,
- the initial milky color of the petals turns pink first, and then takes on a crimson color,
- when blooming, the inflorescence retains its white tones,
- In early autumn, some types of this hybrid change the color of the tips of the petals.
This hydrangea blooms in late July, and the process continues until late autumn. Mills Melba hydrangea is not afraid of extreme cold. This variety is growing rapidly. For large inflorescences, the cottager must cut the hybrid in early spring.
Important! If the petals of the plant are dried under the rays of the sun, then they preserve the pristine aroma for a long time.
How to plant a flower
Hortensia Frazie Melba loves soils containing a small amount of lime. Variety calmly carries the place, illuminated by the sun, and partial shade. Hybrid for growth needs a lot of moisture, so it is better to plant in areas where the groundwater is close. For countries such as Russia, spring is the optimal time for sprouting.
After buying the desired seedlings in the ground, they dig a hole with the size of 0.3 X 0.3 X 0.3 m. Turf, river sand, organic (manure) and mineral (superphosphate) fertilizers are poured into it, and a little peat is added.
Planting is done after shortening the roots. Bush abundantly watered with warm water. Mulching is produced by humus. Its layer should be up to 50 mm thick. If hydrangeas are planted in small groups, the distance between the bushes should be at least 100 cm.
Important! These flowers are propagated by cuttings, dividing a bush or layering. In the first case, harvesting of seedlings is done at the end of spring or in summer. Cut annual shoots up to 120 mm in length, remove leaves, process with a stimulant, and plant in a greenhouse. After the development of seedlings transferred to the open ground.
Hydrangea bushes Melba divide in the fall and spring. They are dug, divided into parts, leaving renewable buds, and then seated on new beds.
Layers are obtained from shoots aged 12 months. They are bent to the ground, covered with earth, leaving the top 0.2 m. In the spring, a new shoot is separated and transplanted. These seeds are practically not propagated by seeds.
Growing hydrangeas in the garden
Hydrangea in the garden
Plant care involves the following operations:
- Fertilization of bushes is carried out 1 time in 10 days. First, nitrogen mixtures are used, then during the development of the inflorescences, the hybrid is transferred to potassium and phosphorus solutions. Last time fertilizers are applied in the fall. From organic substances use humus or slurry.
- Variety loves watering. This requires water with a pH of not more than 5.5. Irrigation is carried out 3 times a week. If the summer is hot, it is recommended to increase the volume of water used by 2-3 times.
- After planting, the soil is loosened 3 times per season. The depth of immersion of the tool in the ground should not exceed 50-100 mm. This operation can be combined with irrigation.
- The variety must be protected from various weeds. They are weeded each week.
Important! Mulch is recommended to constantly update, otherwise the hydrangea will begin to fade from overheating.
Trimming hydrangea Melba as follows:
- after the buds swell in the spring, the bushes are cut by 1/3 the length,
- before wintering, the branches of young seedlings are reduced to 3-4 buds,
- the old plant is cut off at the root,
- the formation of cuttings carried out for 4-5 years.
Important! If the variety blooms for the first time, it is recommended to remove the buds. This will allow the next year to get a more magnificent crown.
Diseases and pests of the variety
Hydrangea paniculata Frize Melba can get sick (turn yellow) due to the bright sun, waterlogging of the soil, lack of fertilizers or low acidity of the soil. The foliage of hybrids can fall due to poor watering, low humidity, lack of substances necessary for the plant.
When planting hydrangeas in open ground, the variety is affected by the following diseases:
- Chlorosis. He is treated with drugs ferrovit or antichlorosis. You can independently prepare a solution: 4 g of citric acid and 2 g of iron sulphate in 1 liter of water. This mixture is sprayed on the leaves.
- If white rot is affected, hydrangea is treated with fungicides phytosporin or copper oxychloride. They are watered planting 3 times per season.
- Gray rot removed pure color or soon. Bushes are watered every 20 days. With the same means they fight powdery mildew.
- Septoria is eliminated with solutions containing copper.
Important! Ring spot disease is practically not treated. For its prevention, you need to pick healthy seedlings.
Pests of any varieties of hydrangea are aphid, spider mite and slugs. The first insect is destroyed by a soap solution or by means of a spark, akarina, and the like. The second type of pest dies after the treatment of bushes with thiophos or fitoderm. Slugs are eliminated with pellets of molluscicide. They are scattered under the bushes of hydrangeas.
The use of flowers in garden decoration
Many lovers decorate Frace Melba paniculata with their summer cottages. With the help of these colors various landscape compositions are created. Plants of this type are well combined with stonecrop or phlox. Ensembles pleasant to the eye are obtained from various types of hydrangeas and rhododendrons, cuffs. But it is not recommended to plant the hydrangea Melba next to the birch trees because of the possible competition for moisture.
When planting flowers in separate beds, you should try to ensure that each of them contains no more than 3-4 bushes. It is desirable to breed 2-3 varieties with different colors of petals.
To diversify the flower bed with this perennial variety, a lot of effort is not required. The main thing is to pick up a quality sapling, check it for lesions and water it abundantly after planting. And then the first flowering hydrangea does not take long.