Garlic is an incredibly useful plant and can compete with many medications.
Previously, people used it as a means to scare away evil spirits. It was believed that this plant in the house brings harmony and good atmosphere.
Now garlic is widely used in cooking and traditional medicine.
There is also decorative garlic, which can also be eaten, and it also has beneficial properties. This plant is used as flower beds decoration, if you do not break off the arrows, and wait for the formation of seed balls.
Exists over five hundred species of ornamental garlic. The most popular of them are Neapolitan, Narcisvetkovy, moths:
- Neapolitan - The flowers of this plant are white, in the form of bells. It blooms in early summer. It grows well in a sunny place, does not like a lot of moisture,
- pray - grows up to 25 cm in height. The flowers are golden in color. So that garlic doesn’t become shallow, it needs to be transplanted once every three years,
- narcisaceous - flowers of red color. The flower grows up to 25 cm in height. Very beautiful flower that will be a real decoration of any flower bed.
Decorative - loves sunlight very muchtherefore, the landing site should not be too dark, as it will not grow in the shade of garlic. The distance between the garlic and the neighboring plant should be greater than 20 cm.
You can plant it from seed. Sowing is best done late summer or early fall. To get the seeds you need to wait for the arrow to grow, and do not pick it off. At the top of the arrow will form a large ball with buds, in which the seeds ripen. They need to be collected and dried. A few days before planting, seeds should be soaked in wood ash. Seeds that fall to the bottom of the jar can be planted, discard the rest.
It is necessary to plant this plant in a sunny place, because grows poorly in the shade and does not like strong moisture.
You can put them on the spot where they grew beans, cabbage or cucumbers. In place potato he may become infected with the diseases that the potato was afflicted with.
Seeds need sow in fossa up to 3 cm deep. Cover them with a thin layer. sand and peat.
If garlic planted with bulbsthe distance between them should be no less than 10 cm. This will allow the plant to grow well and the flowers will be large and bright.
The length of the stem and the size of the flower depend on the size of the bulb.
- the bottom of the beds can be covered newspaperssoaked in water, they will not let the weeds make their way earlier in the spring,
- put a sharp tail up or bed teeth on the side,
- top should be sprinkled with a layer humus,
- sprinkle it by sand.
Basically this plant picky in care and does not require special conditions.
Watering should be plentiful, but not too frequent, since an overabundance of moisture is harmful to the plant. During the season you need to water it only two or three times.
The optimal temperature for garlic is from 20 degrees Celsius.
In a year need to replant plant to another place so that it does not grow small and the flowers were large.
Land near the garlic necessarily need to loosen, especially after heavy watering or rain so that the earth does not crack. You also need to weed garlic from weeds, which will prevent it from growing.
The fruits of garlic will be large, if you break off the first arrows.
Sure to need to feed plant wood ash, humus and magnesium sulfate.
Diseases and pests of ornamental garlic
Like many other plants, it is subject to various diseases and attacks of pests. These include:
- neck rot - rotting that occurs during storage. In order to prevent this disease, before storing the garlic must be well dried,
- powdery mildew - A fungal disease that appears as a spot on the leaves. To avoid this, you need to dry the plant and plant it in the sun, as well as reduce watering and weeding. Affected leaflets must be removed, and the plant treated with special antifungal compounds,
- onion mite and onion fly - To combat these pests requires processing plants chlorophos. A soap or alcohol solution can also help.
Advantages of decorative garlic:
- widely used in cooking along with regular garlic. Arrows of decorative garlic can be eaten, and the fruit tastes like a turnip. Used for making salads or hot dishes,
- is a wonderful decoration of flowerbeds and landscape compositions. Looks great next to hydrangea, delphinium and irises. You can plant them in large groups, then it will look spacious and elegant,
- dried flowers are used to make winter bouquets. They are stored for a very long time without sprinkling,
- a solution of it can be used to control plant pests,
- harvest can be collected in September, if this garlic was planted for the winter, then in August.
Decorative garlic is a beautiful and useful plant. It will help to disinfect the room, thanks to the phytoncides contained in it, will decorate the house in the form of flower bouquets and will become a real decoration of the flower beds in any summer cottage or garden. This plant is completely unpretentious, and subject to the rules of planting care for him is not difficult.
Few people know that garlic can meet the name of the decorative. By the way, it is practically no different from the usual. The appearance and taste of vegetables are almost the same. The main difference lies in the color of the inflorescence of the plant. Depending on the type chosen, the seedlings will amaze you with a variety of colors.
Breeders deduced a huge number of species of ornamental flowering garlic. The most popular among gardeners and gardeners are Neapolitan, Moli and Narcisotsvetkovy. Consider them in more detail.
- Neapolitan species is distinguished by its delicate color and shape of inflorescences. White flowers of bell-shaped form look great as an addition to any landscape, and as an attribute of home decor.
- Variety Moli or golden onions. The main distinguishing feature is that this plant does not need sunlight and can grow in any part of your garden.
- Narcisflower. Despite its name, this species is distinguished by a rich cherry-burgundy color. In height, the plant reaches 20-25 cm and ripens in late June-early July.
Decorative garlic is widely used in cooking, design and vegetable production. In all countries of the world, this vegetable is used as an indispensable and very tasty spice, an original and beautiful attribute of a landscape composition, and as an excellent means for controlling insect pests.
Is it possible to eat decorative garlic? This question is of concern to many gardeners, who have decided to plant this amazing plant for the first time. Do not be afraid, despite its name, this vegetable has the same taste as regular garlic. His hands will perfectly complement any summer salad, giving the dish an original taste. They are also often used to prepare gourmet dishes.
Because of the amazing and unusual colors, designers are increasingly using the plant when creating landscape works, for example, a roller coaster. Allium, flowerbeds from decorative onions and garlic, is in great demand today. Most often, designers use several varieties that successfully complement each other in color and are the center of the landscape composition.
But gardeners often use vegetables to prepare a solution, which very effectively fights insects and protects plants from pests.
Since the seedlings fade fast enough, the flower bed must be supplemented with other plants. As a rule, flowers such as peonies, hydrangeas, irises and chamomile are planted with decorative garlic. Actively for the creation of various flower compositions these inflorescences are used in their work by florists. And it looks beautiful as a green sapling, and dried.
Choosing a place
Before choosing a place on your site for planting, please note that this ornamental plant likes a well-lit and dry place. Most often, seedlings do not grow well in the shade. It is impossible to plant this vegetable crop after potatoes, tomatoes and cucumbers, since they not only greatly deplete the soil, but also leave behind various disease-causing microbes that can easily infect other plants.
Garlic is planted in time
If you decide to grow a vegetable with seeds, it is very important to observe the terms of their planting. Dried buds of inflorescences are used as planting material. As a rule, they are planted in late autumn for 1.5 months before the onset of frost. Seeds need to properly prepare for this procedure. Somewhere in 24 hours they should be soaked in water or tincture of wood ash, selecting only healthy and whole ones for planting. To sow the seeds, hands need to make not very large grooves in the ground (no deeper than 5 cm), and pour sand there.
If you decide to grow seedlings with the help of cloves, remember that the land for planting must be prepared in advance, even at the end of summer. Dig and feed into the ground. As a fertilizer, it is best to use 400 g of wood ash, 300 g of superphosphate and magnesium sulfate, as well as 10 kg of humus per 1 sq. Km. m of land.
Slices in the groove need to be laid vertically. In order to seedlings well wintered, the beds should be sprinkled with peat. In the process of planting, you can use wet newspapers - the teeth are put in specially made holes and filled with humus first, and then with soil. This is done so that in the spring the seedlings can easily gain strength, and weeds do not interfere with them.
Care - an important component, even though this plant is very unpretentious. There are a few points that you should adhere to if you want to grow beautiful ornamental garlic.
- When the shoots sprout, they must be carefully and regularly weeded and watered. Allow enough time for these procedures. The plant should not be watered more than 4 times per season, but the soil should be loosened as often as possible, especially after rain and intensive watering.
- If you want the plant to please you with its fruits, then be sure to cut off the arrows on it, because if you do not carry out this procedure, the garlic heads will be very small.
- Crop harvested in August, as with varieties of winter garlic. On 1 square. m garden can grow up to two kg of fruit.
- Interestingly, this vegetable crop can be grown and simply as an ornamental plant that will complement your flower garden in an excellent way.
This vegetable as well as any other garden plant is susceptible to diseases and attacks of various insect pests. Most often, decorative garlic affects cervical rot - a disease that occurs during storage of the crop. First, the teeth become soft, and then gradually dry. In order for your crop to win over well in its entirety and safety, it is necessary to thoroughly dry the vegetables in the sun before putting them in the cellar.
The plant may look different, depending on the species. Common to all plants is small, flowers collected in inflorescences, soaring above the foliage on the arrows, narrow smooth leaves. The flowering plants of garlic are not inferior in decorativeness to bulbous ones, such as Pushkinia or daffodils.
Types of decorative garlic:
- Neapolitan. Decorative garlic of this species is distinguished by small, but well distinguishable white flowers, gathered in loose openwork inflorescences. In the pictures it strongly resembles onion ramson, but in reality it is more decorative. Plant height - 15-16 cm,
- Bow Pray. The botanical name of this species is Allium moly, that is, it can be safely called garlic (in Latin garlic and onions are Allium). Allium Moli is also called "golden garlic" for very bright yellow flowers. Moth garlic flowers have a shade really so rich that they cause associations with precious metal. The leaves are bluish, long, 4-5 cm wide, flowers 1 cm in diameter have a stellate form, are collected in inflorescences of 9-15 pieces,
- Garlic Narcissafaceous. Received this name not for coloring, but for the shape of flowers. Drooping heads of bell-shaped flowers 1-2 cm long purple-burgundy in color are collected in thin inflorescences of 5-12 pieces. Peduncles have a length of 10-40 cm. The leaves are narrow, long, up to 20 cm, grow luxuriantly. Unusually elegant plant. Such garlic with violet flowers in any composition will add spring freshness,
- Does not belong to the decorative, but may be so in particularly daring gardeners onion Rokambol garlic. Its wide, large leaves are spectacular, and the yield is impressive - the mass of one head can reach 400 g. This garlic flower is relatively modest. Not bright lilac-pink buds are collected in inflorescences-balls. They look spectacular, thanks to flower stalk up to 1 m tall. In some sources, Rocambol may be mistakenly called elephant garlic.
Decorative garlic appearance
How does garlic bloom? Usually bloom lasts about a month. Like any bulbous plant, ornamental garlic is suitable for distillation, so you can get flowers in open or closed ground by any length of time. Standard flowering periods of various types of ornamental garlic
What is decorative garlic and the purpose of its cultivation
Decorative garlic is very similar to ordinary, only differs from it in its incredibly beautiful inflorescence. Depending on the species, it throws up to 12 leaves and has excellent inflorescences.that are full of a variety of shades.
Decorative garlic during flowering
However, the bulb of an ornamental plant is very small, its diameter, as a rule, is less than 5 mm and has a brown or gray color.
This plant both decorates the plots and eats it.
It has white unusually beautiful inflorescence of bell-shaped flowers. It looks great in high vases and on sunny lawns. This variety blooms in June.
Often also called the golden bow. It is relatively low, reaches 25 cm, and the diameter of the inflorescence becomes 6 cm . Flowering plant in late June or July. Its feature is that it can grow both in the sun and in partial shade.
Landing rules when and where
For planting decorative garlic choose a sunny and dry place, because it does not tolerate excessive moisture and does not grow well in the shade. Once in 3 years, change the place of his landing.
If seeds are used for planting, they must be planted in the soil no less than six weeks before the onset of frost.
For sowing seeds in the ground pits no deeper than 5 cm. They are covered with coarse sand, the thickness of the ball does not exceed 1.5 cm.
The diameter of the flower and the height of the stem depend on the size of the bulb of the decorative garlic
If garlic is propagated with slices, the depth of the fossa should be no larger than a diameter of 2-3 bulbs. When disembarking the lobules, you can put moistened newspapers in which holes are made. These newspapers will not let the weeds germinate in the spring.
Care for decorative garlic - how to water and feed
Decorative garlic is very picky in the care. It does not need frequent watering.. But it should also not allow long-term drying out of the soil. In general, the plant for the season watered about 3 times. This plant just feels fine at a temperature of 22-25 degrees.
After watering or rain should loosen the soil.
Garlic will grow large if it breaks the arrows, otherwise it will be small and not so beautiful.
Garlic is a plant that does not tolerate excessive moisture.
This plant also needs feeding. 2 weeks before planting the soil must be fertilized. For this take:
- wood ash - 400 g,
- superphosphate - 300 g,
- humus - 10 kg,
- magnesium sulfate - 300 g
This amount is made with the calculation of 1 square. m. of land.
After planting, seedlings sprinkled with a layer of humus or peat, which will serve as fertilizer and protect the crop from cold and drying.
Application and combination with other plants.
Decorative garlic has found its use.:
- in cooking,
- in landscape design,
- as a disinfectant.
Arrows of this type can fully replace its segments, because they are often used in the process of cooking the most exquisite dishes.
Thanks to its beautiful spherical flowers, this plant will not yield its beauty to any ordinary flower. Now it is very fashionable to have on our summer cottage such hothouses — archery gardens. The flowerbeds look especially beautiful, in which about 5 varieties of this plant grow nearby.. However, it should be remembered that after flowering the leaves die off and, so that the plot does not lose its presentable appearance, a variety of flowers are planted next to the garlic. They will hide these wilted leaves. Just great next to him will look plants that bloom in early summer. The most suitable option are hydrangeas, peonies, delphiniums, irises and others.
Dried garlic inflorescences will serve as an excellent element of winter bouquets.
Also from decorative garlic can be prepared a solution that станет великолепным помощником в борьбе с разнообразными огородными вредителями.
If you want to please your stomach with delicious food, and your eyes are incredibly beautiful sight, then decorative garlic - this is exactly the plant that should be planted on your site. One has only to decide on the varieties, and without much effort you will get an incredible view of your summer courtyard.
"Pray (golden bow)"
Reaches 25 cm in height, this name has received, because its flower has a golden color. Can grow on any place of the site, including in the shade. Replace this species once every three years to prevent chopping. It blooms towards mid-summer.
Planting and care
Place for planting decorative garlic should be changed every three years. This plant is unpretentious, but it is worth choosing places that are not too shaded and not allow excessive soil moisture. This crop grows well in the place of legumes, cucumbers or cabbage, but its planting after tomatoes or potatoes is not recommended. This is due to the fact that these cultures have similar diseases.
Decorative garlic is planted in two ways.
- Seeds. Before planting, they are soaked for a day, the floating seeds are removed and discarded. Sow in the ground in the wells no deeper than 5 cm and sprinkled with coarse sand. It is important that after landing the frosts do not occur at least a month and a half.
- Slices. The distance between the bulbs during planting should not be less than 15 cm, this will give the culture to grow well. The flowers in this case will be bright and large.
Still often use wet newspapers - the teeth are stacked in the holes and sprinkled with humus and earth. This method allows the plant to ascend and gain strength without the intervention of weeds.
If it is decided to grow garlic with the help of cloves, then the soil is prepared in advance, at the end of summer. Soil needs to be dug and fertilized: superphosphate and magnesium sulfate, wood ash and humus.
Decorative garlic is considered an unpretentious plant, and care for it is quite simple. Comfortable temperature for this culture is + 21-25 ° C. Watering should be moderate, without excessive moisture and dryness of the soil. Then it is recommended to make loosening, and repeat this procedure several times per season.
If there is a goal to grow large heads of garlic, then it is necessary to pinch the arrows, especially the first ones. This plant needs frequent and thorough weeding.
Application in flowerbeds and in food
This unique plant fully performs its functions: decorative and culinary. Nowadays gardens with bows are very popular in landscape design. It is recommended to plant several varieties at once. However, it is worth considering that when the flowering stops, the leaves will have a not very presentable appearance, so it is recommended to plant various flowers nearby. Next to decorative garlic, irises, peonies, and delphinium get along well. It is also widely used in winter bouquets, because even after cutting it retains its appearance.
Many gardeners practice the use of ornamental garlic. The arrows of the plant are not inferior in taste to his usual fellow and are very good, for example, in salads. The fruits of this culture taste like a turnip. At the end of the summer you can dig it up, if the plant belongs to winter crops. And so the harvest is made in September. You can achieve performance up to one and a half kilograms per square meter. But in most cases the plant is planted for its decorative function.
It does not correspond to its name, because its flowers have a wine-red tint. This variety is distinguished by its originality. He is also short, only 25 cm.
Depending on the type and region of cultivation, the height can be from 5 cm to 1.5 m. An umbrella with flowering forms at the top of the trunk. The bulbs are rather small - about 5 mm. They have a black or brown color, the texture can be smooth or fibrous.
The main difference between decorative and ordinary culture is its appearance. Decorative varieties have a more aesthetic appearance, so they have a wide range of applications.
Pros and cons of growing
Decorative varieties have many advantages. The main plus is universality. The plant can be eaten, used to decorate flower beds or to create bouquets. Other benefits include:
- Ability to use infusion based on garlic for pest control in the garden.
- The plant tolerates winter well. It does not need to be additionally warmed or dug up during the onset of frost.
- Garlic has the simplest agricultural techniques.
Despite all the advantages of such a decorative culture has its drawbacks. In some varieties, the leaves may begin to fade even during flowering, and this spoils the decorative properties. TThis garlic is used in cooking, however, the onions themselves are very small.
Before disembarking, it is necessary to properly select and prepare the site. The plant is best planted in a sunny and dry place, since not all its varieties can grow in the shade. The landing point is recommended to be changed every 3 years. Best of all, if the predecessors will be legumes, cucumbers or cabbage.
2 weeks before disembarking, the soil should be fertilized. The following substances are used for this:
- wood ash,
- magnesium sulfate,
Soak seeds before planting. They are recommended to be planted in open ground 1.5 months before the start of frosts. Seeds are sown 5 cm deep, then covered with coarse sand.
When breeding by lobules, the depth of the pit for planting should be no larger than 2-3 bulbs. To prevent weeds from germinating in the spring, when planting the slices, you can put a newspaper in the pits, which you have previously wetted and made holes in it.
An important step is care. You should follow basic guidelines to get beautiful blooms. Weeding can begin immediately after the appearance of the first shoots. Watering should not be frequent - about 4 times per season. Particular attention should be paid to loosening the soil. This procedure should be carried out as often as possible, especially after moistening the soil.
To get a good harvest, it is recommended to break off the arrows. Otherwise, the garlic heads will be small. The plant needs periodic feeding.
Harvesting and Storage
Harvested in late August. From 1 square. m. can collect about 2 kg. Dry garlic well before storing. Otherwise, there is a risk of cervical rot. Dried flowers are stored for long, and eventually begin to crumble.
Chinese garlic also has an interesting appearance, notable for the fact that even its flowers are edible. It is commonly known as fragrant onions or mountain garlic. This plant begins its history from western China, grows there on hills, meadows and stony soils. Distributed almost throughout Asia, as well as in India, Thailand and the Far East. In Siberia, the plant is called "dzhusay." Its leaves are flat and resemble ordinary grass.
It is a shrub about 30 cm tall with narrow leaves and white flowers. It has a strong pleasant smell, in fact, for which he received the name "fragrant onion." The leaves and stems of Chinese garlic have a specific flavor, but they are not as sharp as regular garlic. False bulb, mild.
The plant, except for seeds, can be propagated by dividing the bushes, and the harvest will be in the same year. Chinese garlic does not have a rest period, so it grows well in pots at home. Since ancient times, the plant was valued for its beneficial properties - it combines in itself choleretic, diuretic and vascular strengthening properties.
In nature, you can also find wild garlic - this is the well-known wild garlic. It can be observed from early spring. It has a pronounced taste and a specific recognizable smell. It blooms also in small white flowers, and can multiply both with the help of seeds and the division of bulbs. It grows in central Russia, in Europe and even in Turkey.
The use of the word "onion" in the names of these crops is not accidental, because all these plants belong to the genus onion and onion subfamily. Two types are most popular.
- "Angular" or "mouse" onions. It reaches a height of about 60 cm, has dark greens and is also common in Central Asia. Its taste is onion-garlic, and it also has bactericidal properties.
- "Victory" bow. Spread over large areas than wild garlic or “mouse” onions. It also grows in North America, China, Sakhalin and the Caucasus. This onion is also called Siberian wild garlic, it is devoid of bitter taste. Peduncle grows more than a meter.
Wild garlic is an excellent dietary product enriched with vitamins. In addition, it has a number of healing properties:
- increases appetite and facilitates digestion,
- improves the condition with low acidity,
- has a diuretic effect
- has a bactericidal effect,
- has an antihistamine effect,
- burns fat, speeding up lipid metabolism.
Each of these plants is beautiful and very useful in its own way. And since this culture is undemanding in care, you can land several species on your site at once. Different colors of flowers will allow garlic to take place on any flowerbed.
You will learn more about planting and caring for a decorative bow in the following video.