Antifungal drug for plants Topsin developed by Nippon Soda Co. as a strong high-speed therapeutic and prophylactic agent. In plant protection systems, Topsin is used for urgent treatment of cases and prevention of mechanically damaged specimens, see video below.
Video: on the use of Topsin and other fungicides
Fungicide Topsin is intended for agricultural production (see figure below), where experienced agrotechnists can accurately determine the need for using this drug, the timing, dosage, and treatment rates. However, due to the high efficiency and low cost of treatment with Topsin, it was also soon appreciated by the owners of small farms, but with unqualified use of this fungicide can cause serious harm to both the owners and animals in the farm, and consumers of products from it. In this article we will describe how to safely use Topsin in LPH.
Advantages and disadvantages
“Simple” Topsin has not been released for a long time - it turned out to be too harmful. Topsin M goes on sale in the form of a wettable SP powder and a concentrate of a suspension of CS. Preparative forms differ only in DV content (active ingredient, see below), their advantages are the same:
- A wide range of pathogenic fungi,
- Speed - pathogens are suppressed during the day. Three temperatures above +25 degrees Celsius - for 4-6 hours,
- High efficacy: if used correctly, pathogens are destroyed by 100%,
- Long-term protective effect - not less than 4 weeks at +20 degrees and more than 6 weeks at +25 degrees and above,
- Treating effect: helps plants recover faster from a disease,
- Sufficient technological breadth (plasticity): Topsin is not critical to the dosages, timing and external conditions of use,
- Lack of phytotoxicity
- In tank mixtures it is compatible with any pesticides, except for strongly alkaline, mineral-based (Bordeaux mixture, lime preparations),
- Does not suppress yeast mushrooms, does not interfere with the fermentation of wine, does not spoil its taste and bouquet,
- Low cost of treatment: the price of 1 kg / 1 l of the drug for 2018 approx. 2000 rub., And for weave required units of grams / ml.
However, Topsin's shortcomings require careful and careful handling:
- Dangerous, gives negative posteffects: degree of danger to humans 2 (dangerous substance), to bees 3 (moderately dangerous), to fish and aquatic organisms 1 (very dangerous) or 2,
- Unsuitable for regular use, because causes pathogen resistance. With the regular use of Topsin already for the 2nd year, a steady population of them is formed on the site. Which can spread to the neighbors (or come to you from them),
- It is not very effective or completely ineffective against pathogens of downy mildew,
- Of vegetable crops suitable only for ground cucumbers, because was originally developed to protect grain and sugar beets, and the ability of the Far East to accumulate in the succulent above-ground fruits of herbaceous plants was not taken into account,
- It is little effective at temperatures below +15 degrees due to the content in the sulfur of sulfur,
- Antagonist of a number of beneficial pathogenic fungi used in biological products against pests, therefore not applicable in plant bioprotection systems,
- Not available in small packaging for LPH, because in the Russian Federation is certified only for large areas,
- According to the results of long-term use of Topsin, its teratogenic activity was ascertained.
Note: the registration of Topsin for agricultural production in the Russian Federation is valid until 2027, however there are no normatively approved instructions for its use in the private household farms.
What is teratogenic
Teratogenic substances adversely affect the fruit. Not those that are on the trees, bushes, climbing shoots and vines, but that the germs of animals. Not only mammals: if a poultry house turns out to be in the Topsin protection zone (see below), the chicken production will decrease, and their eggs and meat will most likely not pass through consumer control. At cattle at the same appetite falls, milk yield, weight gain and meat and milk in the same way spoils.
Composition and action
Chemical formula of thiophanate methyl
Selling Topsin preparation contains one DV - thiophanate-methyl ([1,2-di- (3-methoxycarbonide-2-thiourido) -benzene], formula in fig. On the right). It belongs to the chemical class of benzimidazoles. The effect of thiophanate methyl on pathogens is quite similar to benomyl, DV of Fundazol, but faster and stronger. The main metabolite of this and other DV in pathogens is carbendazim, which suppresses the growth of mycelium and does not allow the fungi to reach the phase of sporification.
Topsin is a contact-systemic fungicide, which acts directly on pathogens, and penetrates plant tissue and makes them deadly for fungi. It spreads through the phloem acropetally, i.e. bottom up from the roots to the tops. Therefore, the use of Topsin is most effective in the early stages of development of the protected culture. If the drug is used as a prophylactic after cutting tree and shrub fruit, then the treatment should be carried out immediately, with still wet cuts, and only after that close the sections with clay, sprinkle with crushed coal, etc. It is permissible to apply Topsin in autumn pruning only after full harvesting from the plantation (garden, vineyard)!
As stated above, Topsin M is produced in the formulations of SP and CS. They differ in the concentration (content) of the active ingredient: 70% (700 g / kg) in the SP and 50% (500g / l) in the COP. If necessary, recalculation of the dosage of one to another is made by simple formulas:
The result is rounded to 0.5 ml or to tenths of a gram.
Note: Topsin MJ is cheaper, but not everyone has laboratory scales on the farm. However, you can quickly do your own hands with a simple measure for the exact dosage of the powder, see the video below.
Thiophanate-methyl is relatively little toxic:
- DSD 0.02 mg / kg of human body weight.
- ODK in the soil 0.4 mg / kg.
- MPC in the water reservoirs 0.05 mg / cu. dm
- Maximum concentration limit in air of a working zone of 0.1 mg / cubic m
- Atmospheric airsheets in air 0.007 mg / cu. m
Man’s skin and mucous membranes are not annoying. Products of its decay in the body rather quickly displayed in a natural way, without giving long-term effects. However, due to the ability to be absorbed into the body during the back suction of the grease and teratogenic activity, the fungicide Topsin is assigned to the 2nd class of danger to humans without a reason. PPE when working with Topsin should use enhanced:
- On the feet - rubber boots.
- On hand - rubber protective gloves (not household latex!)
- Over working clothes - a plastic cape-raincoat with a hood with elastic (better - protective overalls).
- On the face - a respirator with gas mask and protective mask.
Security zones when working with Topsin are established as follows:
- Recreation areas, playgrounds and institutions, open animal yards - 150 m.
- Residential buildings, enclosed premises for animals - 50 m.
- Other farm building - 15 m.
- Reservoirs, water supply sources - 1.5 km.
- Apiary - 2.5 km (summer bees limit 72 hours).
- Permissible time of work with the drug is 6 hours.
Note: within 15-20 minutes for the use of Topsin repellent for bees, so it is not necessary to isolate them beforehand, if the apiary is on the site.
Clearly pronounced characteristic symptoms of acute intoxication with Topsin were not observed, self-help measures are not effective. Therefore, at the slightest indisposition, you should immediately stop working, leave the work area and consult a doctor. Topsin is stored in the usual conditions for pesticides: out of the reach of children and animals in a separate room, it’s unacceptable to store food in it.
The use of Topsin M is carried out in a typical manner for the same preparative forms of pesticides. The working fluid of Topsin KS is prepared directly in the sprayer tank. For the working fluid, the joint venture prepares the uterine suspension first: dilute the metered dose of the powder with stirring in 200-500 ml of water. The dishes and the stirrer are chemically neutral, preferably glass. Then, the uterine suspension is also poured, while stirring, into the tank filled to 1/5 - 1/3, cover it, collect the device, shake it several times and start to work. The working fluid must be developed during the day. Spraying is also carried out according to the usual rules: in the morning or in the evening in warm, calm weather, preferably overcast. Time to rain - 24-36 hours.
Instructions for use Topsina M various preparative forms are given in table. Processing is carried out according to the norms of consumption per area, since the drug migrates in the soil and is also absorbed by the plant roots.
More about the use of the fungicide Topsin M in the country, see the plot:
A reader well versed in garden and garden affairs may ask: what about these - only large packages? Vaughn, in our country shop gram Topsinu - take it, I do not want.
Indeed, Nippon Soda Co. willingly sells both licenses for Topsin and his Far East. Therefore, bona fide manufacturers of this fungicide in small packages are no exception. But the probability of running into a fake is great. Falsifiers carefully track down the best-selling drugs and fake them. And in general, the well-proven Topsin is by no means overlooked by them, see the video last:
Advantages and disadvantages of the topsin-m fungicide
Every fertilizer or chemical that helps a plant in its development and growth has its own advantages and disadvantages. The topsin-m fungicide is no exception. Since this drug is quite common in the difficult work of gardeners and gardeners, they need to know all the pros and cons of the substance.
The topsin-m fungicide has the following advantages in the field of fertilizers:
- the drug is actively combating various types of diseases
- already in the first twenty-four hours after the introduction of the drug, the fungicide blocks the reproduction of cells of various diseases and the appearance of a large number of small pests,
- It has an enhanced therapeutic effect on parts of the plant affected by fungal diseases,
- This tool has several areas of use: prevention of diseases, combating various types of diseases and various pests, improving plant immunity, helping the crop in its growth and development,
- fungicide "topsin-m" is a fairly environmentally friendly substance that can be used on plants with different levels of immunity,
- the fungicide can be used with various chemical mixtures tanks,
- after being treated with a fungicide, gardeners can observe improvements in various plant parameters: improved growth and development, increased immunity, increased yields and many other indicators,
- the substance is quite economical (a gardener or a gardener will not spend a large amount of money on the drug and at the same time get a good result),
- if the drug is necessary for fertilizing flowers, then you should not worry, as the fungicide does not have a bad effect on flower pollinators (mainly honey insects),
- long-term plant protection, which can last for about a month,
- the drug is great for helping plants that have any damage.
However, despite the large number of advantages, this substance has its drawbacks, among which the main ones are
- the drug is not recommended for permanent use, so a person has to spend his money on other drugs,
- the substance is toxic and harming humans, pets and aquatic animals,
- fungal diseases very quickly get used to the drug and have to alternate with other substances to get a certain result,
- the drug does not affect one of the most important diseases - perinospora.
Here are all the main advantages and disadvantages of this substance. In general, it can be said that fertilizer is good, can help a lot, and it is up to the gardener or gardener to decide whether to use it or not.
The mechanism of action of the fungicide "topsin-m"
The mechanism of action for each drug is different from others. Each drug begins, continues and ends its action in different ways. The very process of the substance flowing through a plant occurs in different ways, and our fungicide in question is no exception.
Fungicide is a substance that starts its mechanism of action from the root of a plant. It must be introduced into the soil, because only there the fertilizer gets into the root system and continues to move on. Being in the root system of a plant, the fungicide protects it from various soil pests, which, by damaging the roots, can destroy it.
After the root system, the fertilizer moves on, destroying all the pathogenic bacteria in the plant and increasing its immunity. Being in the main part of the plant, the fungicide saturates it with all the necessary chemical elements.
After the substance has destroyed all harmful and increased plant immunity, it releases toxic gases that help protect the plant from many small insect pests that want to eat the fruit, if it is a vegetable crop, or destroy the plant, taking all the best nutrients from it . Fungicide is an excellent substance that cures diseases, boosts immunity and saves it from insects.
Instructions for use of the topsin-m fungicide
Each substance and fertilizer has its own instructions for use. Fungicide also has this instruction, according to which the following procedure and rules should be followed.
- the fungicide solution should be prepared on the day of its use,
- you need to take a container with a small amount of water and add as much of the preparation to it as the instructions on the packaging require
- The mixture must be thoroughly mixed and sent to the sprayer, which must first be filled with water,
- ideal solution: ten liters of water + 10 to 15 grams of the drug topsin-m fungicide,
- plants must be sprayed during a certain period (in this case, this period is the period of active growth of the plant, but not its flowering period, as this can destroy it,
- during the season it is necessary to carry out two spraying with a difference of 14-15 days,
- Do not use this substance often, as it leads to dependence on this fertilizer in various diseases and pests, thereby not giving any result.
Here are some rules on the use of the drug for various plants:
Benefits of Topsin Fungicide
- A wide range of actions - simultaneous control of several diseases at once.
- Fast initial effect - begins to act on the pathogen within the first days after treatment.
- A long period of culture protection is up to 4 weeks.
- A good partner for tank mixes - can be used with almost all insecticides, acaricides and fungicides, with the exception of alkaline preparations (for example, Bordeaux mixture).
- Stimulates the growth and development of crops due to a longer period of photosynthesis of preserved healthy plants.
- An ideal preparation for treating plants with mechanical damage, for example, apple orchards after hail or pruning.
- It has no toxic effect on the treated plants.
- Safe for bees and warm-blooded, does not irritate the eyes and skin.
The mechanism of action of the fungicide Topsin
The drug is a systemic action, thanks to which it is quickly distributed throughout the plant. It combines a preventive and therapeutic effect, as well as has an eradicating effect.
A widespread mushroom disease of plum, apricot, peach, cherry, and other stone fruit, affects the leaves, buds, branches and flowers. Pale brown round spots appear on the leaves, which crumble in 1-2 weeks and form a hoe.
If the infection is strong, the leaves begin to dry out and fall off. Next, the fungus infects the fruit, and purple spots appear on it. Affected plum flowers are showered. In winter, conidiospores are found in wounds on the leaves.
And in the spring at a temperature of 4-6 ° C, the fungus reaches the surface of the bark and spreads with the help of rain, wind, and insects on the leaves. When infected with a fungus, the stone rocks weaken and their yield decreases.
For the struggle, timely removal and destruction of the affected shoots and branches, destruction of the leaves, and spraying immediately after flowering and two weeks after the first treatment with Topsin.
Active ingredient and release form
The drug is available in powder form, has good soluble properties. If you need to purchase large amounts of money, you can buy it in a bag (10 kg). Also on the market proposed option "Topsina-M" in the form of a concentrated emulsion of 5 liters in the bottle. For a single use, you can purchase powder in packs of 10, 25 or 500 g.
Purpose and mechanism of action
«Топсин-М»оказывает защитное и терапевтическое воздействие на растения. Благодаря основному действующему веществу уничтожаются фитопатогенные грибы, замедляется поражение им корневой системы, происходит оздоровление культуры. Thiophanate methyl is absorbed by both the root system and above-ground vegetative organs. Distribution of the system of vessels occurs acropetal way.
The penetration of the fungicide into the plant occurs along the root system. At that moment, when the active substance gets to the source of infection, the growth of mycelium is blocked, and spores cannot germinate. The active ingredient gradually disperses throughout the plant, thereby providing a therapeutic effect on the affected organs and tissues of the culture.
How to use: how to prepare the working solution and carry out spraying
A prerequisite is the preparation of the solution on the day the plant is processed. It is necessary to take a container with a small amount of water and dissolve the dose of the drug in it. After that, the mixture is thoroughly mixed and poured into the sprayer. Beforehand, it is necessary to pour water into the tank so that it fills it with ¼. The optimal is the proportion when 10-15 g of the drug is taken for 10 liters of water.
The most favorable for carrying out spraying of plants is considered to be a vegetative period. It is forbidden to hold an event at the time of flowering: the plant must be sprayed either before it starts to bloom or after. It is recommended to carry out two treatments of crops per season. Choose clear, windless days for cultivating crops. Keep the interval between treatments - it should be at least two weeks.
During the use of the drug is to adhere to elementary safety rules. Despite the fact that the fungicide belongs to the 2nd class of danger to humans and is a dangerous substance, it does not irritate the skin and mucous membranes. However, it is recommended to carry out all activities in rubber gloves and a respirator.
It is very cautious to work with the drug near water bodies, as it adversely affects the fish. It is forbidden to use ponds to clean the equipment that was used when spraying plants.
"Topsin-M" has quite good reviews, so it is recommended for processing cultivated plants for both private and industrial use.
Composition and forms of release
The composition of the fungicidal agent includes active ingredient methyl thiophanate. Getting through the root system, the active substance Topsina M spreads through all plant tissues, inhibits the growth of the fungus and inhibits the multiplication and germination of spores. The product has a therapeutic effect on the affected areas.
The contact action of the fungicide is expressed in the protection of indoor plants, vegetables and fruit trees from leaf beetles and aphids.
The drug is effective against a soil nematode that destroys the root system of plants. It also has a toxic effect on the gold-eyed, leaf beetles and melon aphids, at all stages of their life cycle of insects, causing their death.
Active substance belongs to the class medium toxicity pesticidesthat do not adversely affect human skin and mucous surfaces.
Topsin M is produced as a powder to prepare a solution. The tool is sold in packs from 1 to 10 kilograms, intended for processing garden plots and agricultural land.
For the treatment of plants at the dacha plots, the fungicidal agent is produced in the form of an emulsion.
The effectiveness of the tool will be much higher if used for prophylactic purposes, until the onset of external signs of the disease.
How Topsin M works
Topsin-M has a protective and therapeutic effect on plants. Methyl theophanate destroys phytopathogenic fungi, inhibits their defeat of the root system.
The active substance is absorbed by the root system and the terrestrial parts of the plant. Distribution through the system of vessels proceeds acropetally.
As a result of the action of the drug suppresses the multiplication and growth of the spores of the fungus. The active creature is evenly distributed across all plant tissues, thereby providing a therapeutic effect on the affected areas and culture tissues.
Safe daily intake of methyl thiophanate methyl for humans makes 0.02 mg / kg. This is a small amount of the drug, which does not affect the state of health.
However, methyl thiophanate has a strong insecticidal effect, which can cause toxic reactions in insects and birds.
The fungicidal agent Topsin M is not effective in the fight against powdery mildew.
Before using the fungicidal drug Topsin M, you must carefully read the instructions. Excess specified in the instruction dosage is unacceptable.
For processing various vegetable and garden plants, fruit trees and shrubs The following amount is recommended:
- Cucumbers. For a culture grown in open ground, before the start of fruit formation, 30 ml of the product per 1 square meter of planting area is used. The action of the agent lasts up to four weeks. During the season there are two treatments. The tool can be used for the prevention of powdery mildew on plants.
- Beets and other root vegetables. Three treatments are performed during the season to combat chill and mildew. Used 30 ml of the drug per 1 square. meter. The period of validity of the funds is up to 40 days.
- Fruit trees. Processing of fruit trees is carried out twice per season: before and after the flowering period. Validity Topsina M is 4 weeks. For spraying a tree need 10 liters of the finished solution. The drug is effective for the prevention and treatment of fungal infections that develop on the bark and leaves of plants, as well as scab and powdery mildew.
- Grapes and berry bushes. Planting is carried out before the beginning of the flowering period and after picking the fruit. Shrubs should not be sprayed during fruit ripening, as poisoning is possible when the fruit is consumed. Fungicide effectively fights against gray mold, oidium and anthracnose. The required amount of the finished product is calculated based on the size of shrubs and is up to 5 liters per plant.
Topsin M is used for the prevention of fungal diseases in houseplants: dragon, orchids, azaleas, streptocarpus, cyclamen.