Absolutely all species of Rhododendrons belong to the category of beautiful ornamental shrubs. In addition to the huge range of spectacular flowers, surprising with its size and shape, the foliage of the shrub is also incredibly decorative.
It is very colorful and even capable of changing its shades in the autumn period. No wonder that Rhododendrons are so fond of all designers, and some consider them even more interesting compared to roses. In this article we will try to tell all the most important things about the wonderful variety of rhododendron - Nova Zembla.
It is a tall, sprawling bush with a dome-shaped crown. It grows quickly, sometimes it may bloom for the second time in a season - in the fall.
- Leaves - large leathery, dark green on the outside, gray on the back. The form has an elongated, narrow.
- Flowers - beautiful and large, in diameter reach 6–10 cm. They have a very impressive saturated ruby color with chocolate splashes in the center, their anthers are golden in color. The shape resembles a bell, collected in large spherical inflorescences of about 12 pieces each.
- Trunk - powerful, branching strong, the color of the bark is gray.
- The root system is superficial.
What is the difference from other species?
It differs from other types of increased winter hardiness and endurance. It has very large growing areas. Also, his bright flowers, collected in inflorescences - balls, have a large size. All these outstanding qualities make this variety extremely in demand.
- When and how - this variety begins its flowering at the end of spring (in May) and continues in June. During the flowering period (almost two months), the shrub is covered with large bright inflorescences - balls, its appearance is simply delight.
- Before and after flowering - since the beginning of spring, it is necessary to carefully monitor the irrigation and application of fertilizing. In April, be sure to feed the plant. Do not allow the ground near the bush to dry, pour mulch. Still required to maintain the humidity around Rhododendron. And after flowering, first trim all flower stalks and feed.
- What to do if it does not bloom - if such an unpretentious shrub does not want to bloom, then the whole thing, most likely, in the wrong place for him. We'll have to find a decent place and do transplanting, before this, carefully studying all the recommendations.
Use in landscape design
This rhododendron is just a heroic size, therefore in a small space, he naturally will be cramped. Elegant it will look in a large garden, by the pond, for example, or near the house. It is also a good decision to make a group planting, choosing combinations of colors of different varieties to your liking.
Step-by-step instructions for planting and care
- Choosing a landing site - need a penumbra to get diffused light on the shrub, you can plant in the vicinity of tall trees (preferably conifers). You can not choose a place on low sites, as it should not be blown by the winds.
- What should be the soil - it should be light, nutritious, friable. Humidity is desirable moderate, in marshy areas and with high groundwater levels, rhododendron will not grow. If the soil in your garden is not suitable, then you need to place a special soil on the landing site to improve it. You can make it from:
- sod land
All components (except coal) to take in equal parts, and then add a little coal, mix and the desired soil is ready. Landing - The most suitable time for her is spring.
- Once we have decided on the place, we are preparing a pit for the bushes, not very deep (about half a meter), but wide.
- Be sure to add there any drainage layer, then pour a thin layer of pine needles and on top of a little prepared soil.
- We put the plant in the middle and pour the ground along the sides, trying not to dig deeper than necessary - the root neck should be on top.
- It now remains to water, spray and grind.
How to multiply?
Rhododendron Nova Zembl can be propagated by cuttings and layering.
- Cuttings - to prepare cuttings (8 cm long) prepared in the second half of June with a growth stimulator, and then inserted into the prepared sand and peat substrate. The lower cut of the cuttings must be oblique, about 45 degrees. To obtain a good result, the rooting process is best carried out in a greenhouse, where it is easy to create the desired humidity and temperature. When 3 - 4 leaves are formed on the cuttings, they can be planted in pots, and it will be possible to land in a permanent place in a year.
- Layering - this option is even simpler; in the spring, the lower branch is dropped in the ground, fixing for reliability with a wooden slingshot or a bracket. Carefully look after her.
Diseases and pests
Because of any mistakes in the care of Rhododendron, pests can occur most often:
- Rhododendra bug - one of the most dangerous pests. You can find it only on the back side of the sheet - on brown dots, there it pierces the leaves. Treatment will help "Aktara" or "Fitoverm".
- Spider mite - there is a noticeable thin spider web on the leaves - to process it with Aktar.
Also shrub may be subject to the following diseases: leaf mosaic, rust - processing with “Confidor” will help here.
Rhododendron Nova Zembla should appear on your site unequivocally. After all, one of his “solos” will be enough to completely transform the surrounding space, it is so effective. And if you take into account its remarkable adaptability to low and high temperatures, then you should not hesitate for a long time. With such a handsome man you can put a rocking chair and complete relaxation guaranteed.
All about planting and care more in the video:
Rhododendrons in home gardens reproduce in several ways, each of which has its own characteristics.
Reproduction by cuttings
- As the material for grafting, apical shoots or semi-lignified twigs of one-year-old age, up to 5 cm long, with three internodes are used.
- Planting material is kept for one hour in a growth stimulator solution or in aloe juice.
- Prepared cuttings rooted in a substrate of peat and sand (2: 1), maintaining a temperature regime of 18-20 degrees. In sunny weather, boxes with cuttings should be pritenyat.
- At the bottom of the tank for rooting necessarily placed a drainage layer of gravel or expanded clay.
- Within a month, new shoots will begin to appear and, when 3-4 leaves are blooming on them, pinch the upper buds, causing an increase in lateral shoots. This procedure must be repeated during the first year of development of a young plant 2-3 times.
- Using this method is preferable for obtaining specimens of wild species. On August-September, faded plants form small fruits in the form of boxes with 5 leaves, which contain rod-shaped seeds, no more than 2 mm in length.
- In order for them to germinate, they should be subjected to stratification for 1-2 months, at a temperature close to 4 degrees. To do this, the seeds are placed in a slightly wet sand or vermiculite and placed in a refrigerator.
- After this procedure, the seed is washed and soaked for 8-12 hours in a growth stimulator solution (Appin, Kornevin).
- Germinate seeds in a mixture of peat and sand (3: 1), without digging down the crops. The first shoots appear on day 6-8. The main thing during the period of growth is to provide seedlings with a constant light from 8 am to 8 pm, trying to keep the boxes with seedlings at a variable temperature of 15-20 degrees.
- The first year of the plant is best kept in greenhouse conditions, gradually tempering it, and only in the spring of next year to land on a permanent place.
Reproduction by layering
- Perhaps this method of reproduction refers to the most simple. A shallow trench is dug near the mother bush, which is filled with loose and nutritious soil. On a young flexible branch, cuts are made in several places to stimulate the formation of roots. After which the escape carefully bends and is placed in the prepared groove.
- In this case, all the leaves that will be in the ground, are removed. The branch is pinned, using hooks or sticks, and then sprinkled on top with a mixture of peat and sand.
- During the entire season, the layering should be in a moist state, and, if necessary, an earthen substrate is added. The optimal time for the procedure spring season.
- The first signs of rooting will begin to appear by mid-summer. Young plants should not be immediately removed from the mother bush, it is best to leave until next spring, and then transplant to a permanent place.
- The mother bush, from which the cuttings have taken root, is recommended to be subjected to a repeated procedure no earlier than in 5-10 years.
Reproduction by dividing the bush
- This method is the rarest, due to the small amount of planting material obtained in the end. However, its technique is quite simple.
- The adult bush is completely dug out and divided into several plots. Each part is planted separately in a previously prepared soil, for which high-quality peat and rotted pine needles are mixed in equal parts.
- The plants get their decorative appearance for 2-3 years after planting, when young shoots will begin to appear actively.
Reproduction by grafting
- This method is used only to obtain varietal species, and in horticulture is used quite rarely. As the grade material used young apical shoots.
- During grafting, the stock and the graft are tightly joined, the joint is wrapped with tape. Vaccination is usually done closer to the roots of the bush.
- The optimal time is spring, until the bud breaks.
Where better to plant rhododendron
The soil for planting should be fertile and at the same time loose, have an acid reaction. At the site of landing there should not be close to the groundwater, otherwise rhododendron will have to be planted in an elevated flower bed. Fruit trees, as well as pine, oak, larch, are excellent as plant neighbors. Trees with a superficial root system (willow, linden, elm, poplar) will compete with rhododendron for moisture and nutrition, therefore, next to them, Nova Zembloo is not planted.
- Rhododendrons are best planted twice a year: in spring (April-May) and in autumn (September-November).
- You can do this in other time periods except for the period when the plant blooms and within 1-2 weeks after flowering.
- The most suitable place for landing is a place in the shade, on the north side of the house. Although the peculiarity of this particular variety is that it tolerates heat and direct sunlight quite well.
From the proper landing depends on the continued existence of rhododendron Nova Zembla, because it is a perennial plant. The procedure should be as follows:
- Prepare a landing hole with a depth of 40 cm and a diameter of just over half a meter.
- The mixture prepared from 4 buckets of peat and 2 buckets of clay or loam is poured into the landing site.
- A layer of soil at the bottom of the pit compacted and make it a hole in size of the roots of rhododendron.
- Before planting a sapling, its roots are soaked in water for several hours.
- The prepared seedling is placed in the hole, covered with substrate and compacted landing site. The root neck should be located at ground level.
- After planting, the bush is abundantly watered and mulched the surface with peat, moss or pine needles. The thickness of the mulch layer should be 5-6 centimeters.
- If there are buds on the seedling, they are removed after planting, so that the plant directs all its forces to rooting.
- When planting is made in a place unprotected from the wind, rhododendron is attached to a support that is removed as soon as rooting occurs.
Care of rhododendron
The first time, a fragile sapling is shaded from the sun, if necessary. Care of the rhododendron Nova Zembla consists in regular loosening of the surface layer of the soil and removing weeds from the tree trunk. It is necessary to loosen the soil carefully, since the root system of the plant is superficial, it is better to remove the weeds by hand for the same reason.
With the deep occurrence of groundwater and in dry weather, rhododendron Nova Zembla is watered 1-2 times a week. If the water in the ground is close, watering may be insignificant and more rare. On the need to water the plant will say its leaves. With a lack of moisture, they become dull and slightly sluggish. Water is better to take separated or rainwater. For acidification, you can throw 2-3 handfuls of peat in it a day before watering. In the heat, water treatments may include spraying a bush. This should be done in the evenings.
Fertilize the plant must be dressing free of lime and chlorine. Sour mineral fertilizers and rotted manure are used for rhododendrons, alternating between them. Top dressing is carried out from early spring until the end of July. Before wintering the plant spills well and covers it with spruce branches. Wintering with shelter required young plants the first 2-3 years after planting.
Rhododendrons do not require a cardinal formative pruning, they themselves form the right bush during growth. They are pruned occasionally to shorten, cut weak or diseased shoots, rejuvenate the plant. This procedure must be done in early spring, while rhododendron has not started sap flow.
If too thick branches are cut, a garden pitch is applied to the cut surface. Soon, sleeping buds wake up on the plant and it begins to overgrow with young shoots. If the bush is very old, it is rejuvenated in two steps. In the first year, one half of the bush is shortened to 30 centimeters, and the next year the other. So do the frozen specimens.
In terms of flowering rhododendrons there is a certain cyclical nature. The lush flowering next year is replaced by a more moderate. We can say that the plant is resting. In order for the bush to bloom more evenly, it is worth breaking out the flowering inflorescences, not allowing the fruit to tie. Then every summer the rhododendron will be covered with caps of gorgeous flowers.
Rhododendron, azalea - the most common names of plants of the heather family, which naturally grow in the mountainous regions of East Asia. Here they grow in the usual favorable conditions of high humidity and acidic soil. Most cultivated rhododendron varieties come from either botanical species or are the result of breeding work.
The Dutch firm M. Coster & Sons created the rhododendron hybrid Nova Zembla in 1902. The classic Parsons Grandiflorum (Katevbinsky rhododendron), obtained in 1860 by Anthony Waterrerom (England), and a nameless hardy red variety, became his parents. The hybrid turned out to be so resistant that it was destined to become the standard choice of gardeners, even for non-ideal growing conditions.
The history of the name of the new variety is associated with the island of Novaya Zemlya at the northern tip of Russia. The search for the northern sea route in the XVI century. inspired English, Dutch and Norwegian navigators. At the end of the century, the Dutch traveler Willem Barents discovered a Russian settlement on the island. From here it was possible to move on, the island became known in Europe as a kind of staging post, a place of rest and preparation for the next stage of a dangerous journey. It is possible that the romance of ancient legends was the impetus for the name of the new variety.
Gardeners consider the most valuable qualities of rhododendron Nova Zemblá to be:
- frost resistance (up to -25 ° C),
- vastness of growing areas (5-8 USDA),
- large (in diameter from 6 to 13 cm) funnel-shaped aromatic ruby flower with dark red spots on the upper petal,
- beautiful spherical shape of the bush,
- relatively small height (125-150 cm at the age of ten)
- long and abundant flowering (end of April - beginning of June),
- universality of application in landscape design.
The variety has no significant negative qualities, and the inexpressive gray bark of the stems is not noticeable in the drapery of unusually lush clusters of intensely colored flowers and narrow leathery evergreen leaves, similar in shape to azalea leaves, but larger.
Like all rhododendrons, Nova Zembla prefers good lighting, but without direct and hot sunlight. Most of the variety is suitable light partial shade. Places for a hybrid choose quiet, protected from wind, it is desirable with high humidity. Нова Зембла прекрасно чувствует себя под кронами высоких деревьев с глубоко проникающими корнями, особенно хвойными.Among other shrubs, the variety receives reliable protection from the sun and gusting wind.
Azaleas and rhododendrons prefer acidic soil with a pH of 3.5-4.5. A suitable soil mixture is created by adding peat, bark or needles to the ground. For these bushes, it is important that the soil is moderately wet and mulched, since the root system of rhododendrons is superficial. For the same reason, breathable and fertile soil is important for them. Other types of land: heavy, dense, sandy, poor - should be improved.
The variety Nova Zembla is frost resistant, but may suffer due to the lack of humidity, if you do not irrigate watering in winter or the winter months are not snowy enough. Almost all year he needs wet land. However, long torrential rains and stagnation of water contribute to the decay of the roots. In such cases, create a high-quality drainage system.
The best planting time is spring or autumn. The landing pit should be fairly wide, about 3 times the diameter of the hybrid root system. It is not necessary to dig deeper than 40 cm due to the superficial location of the roots. The pit is filled with peat or compost, which are mixed with the earth in a 2: 1 ratio. The root neck should be located at ground level. It is necessary to tamp the poured ground thoroughly, but not tightly: the gentle roots of the variety Nova Zembla need plenty of oxygen. Mandatory watering and mulching bush.
Top dressing and pruning
The first time to fertilize Nova Zembla is recommended in late April. Expert advice boils down to the fact that you should buy fertilizers specifically designed for rhododendrons, scattering them in the root circle in moderation. Liquid fertilizers can also be used, but of low concentration and with care.
Top dressing is carried out from May to August in moderate doses, depending on the age and condition of the plants. Rhododendrons are sensitive to soil salinity, therefore it is better to use long-acting fertilizers. For these purposes, organic fertilizer is especially good. Half-burnt cow dung not only nourishes the plant, but also cultivates the soil, making it more moisture-proof and breathable, which suits rhododendrons so.
Horn chips, horn meal containing a large amount of nitrogen and phosphorus are significant for these plants. They decompose longer manure, act softer. Nitrogen helps to maintain the desired acidity of the soil, contributes to the decorativeness of the bush and stimulates its growth, because plants that love acidic soil, usually grow slowly
Phosphorus is needed by plants for metabolic processes and cell membrane permeability. Focusing on flowering and branching, it is necessary to focus on potash fertilizers. Potassium helps to fill the cells with good moisture.
Frost, disease and pest protection
The hybrid root system at any time of the year requires coverage. Every spring a layer of pine chips, bark or needles of 5-12 cm protects small roots, keeps soil moisture, protecting the bush from hot spring rays. In winter, rhododendrons suffer from physiological drought - the mulch again saves both frost and drying out. Curling the leaves in winter is a natural defense of the plant itself. So it reduces the evaporation of moisture and tolerates frosts better.
Nova Zembla also has to be protected from pests: the azalea moth and the whitefly. Small azalea mole (wingspan slightly more than a centimeter) from May to October gives rise to 2-3 generations of spindle-shaped caterpillars, which make shield-like cocoons on the back side of rhododendron leaves.
They infect the leaf parenchyma, and damaged leaves dry and fall. Adult caterpillars are looking for new food, crawling on healthy leaves, folding them, while continuing to damage the plant. They need to be collected, and rhododendron is treated with insecticide.
Whitefly larvae secrete a sticky drop. The leaves of rhododendron become sticky and turn yellow. They are struggling by spraying Talstar acaricide with the addition of Imidacloprid Provado.
The protection against spider mites, mealybugs, etc. is organized in a similar way. Before applying the chemistry, you can spray the plant several times with decoction of horsetail, yarrow and soap. It is possible that chemistry is not needed.
Of bacterial diseases, rhododendron may be affected by late blight. The leaves lose their shine, turn brown and die off, starting at the bottom of the bush. It is possible to treat the shrub with special biological products or fungicides: Topsin or Ditan. Fallen sick leaves need to be collected and burned.
What experts advise?
To Nova Zembla long pleased eye, experts advise:
- 1 Buy plants healthy, not yellowed, with good soil moisture in the container.
- 2 Choose the right place and soil for the hybrid.
- 3 Maintain the required soil moisture.
- 4 Remove dead flowers to promote growth, not seed production.
Rhododendron in the garden can be a single plant, a kind of emphasis on the background of the wall or lawn. Nova Zembla - a traditional component of the Japanese garden. The reflection of a bush planted above the water visually increases the number of flowers in the Japanese courtyard. The variety looks great in mass plantings, alleys, rockeries, curtains, creating large, lush and bright blooming spots against the background of pine needles, walls, fence.
Rhododendron is an evergreen shrub of the heather family. There is a large variety, numbering up to 3000 species. Among them are found as creeping shrubs, and trees, reaching thirty-meter height. There are deciduous varieties. Translated from the Latin rhododendron means a tree of roses
Rhododendron is represented by a large species diversity.
Indeed, flowers formed in lush clusters resemble pink flowers, which differ in size and shape depending on the variety. The smallest ones are several millimeters in diameter, while the largest ones reach 20 cm.
Cultivated due to the beautiful colors of various colors:
Flower shape differs in a variety, is: funnel-shaped, tubular, bell-shaped, wheel-shaped. From the flowers the fruit is formed, which is a five-leaf box filled with seeds up to 2 mm.
Decorative leaves egg-shaped form a graceful crown. There are specimens with deep-set and leaves on the petioles. The roots have a superficial system of many thin layers, which greatly facilitates plant transplantation.
In the wild form grow in the coastal zones of the seas, rivers, on the northern slopes of the mountains of Southeast Asia.
What time is better to plant rhododendron
Spring and autumn - the best time to plant a plant
Planted in the soil rhododendron garden can be in the spring (from April to May) and autumn (from September to November) period. The optimal time for planting is indicated, although it is possible to spend it in a different period, the main thing is that the plant is not flowering. In the northern latitudes, it is recommended to plant cold-resistant varieties.
For planting choose a shaded place with loose well-fertilized acidic soil. When high groundwater in order to avoid rotting make a raised bed. In order for the bush to grow well, you need to carefully select the surrounding trees. You should not plant in close proximity to crops whose roots are located at the same depth with rhododendra.
Good neighbors can be:
- Apple tree
The roots of these trees are quite deep. A poplar, elm, alder, maple, chestnut, linden will take away water and food from the bushes. If it is not possible to avoid such a neighborhood, materials such as roofing felt, geotextile, and polyethylene film will come to the rescue, separating the growth line of the plant.
How to plant
The main condition for planting is the acidity of the soil, except that it must be well fertilized with humus. Check for acidity can be a simple popular way. To do this, leaves of currant or cherry pour boiling water. In the cooled water throw a handful of soil. If the water changes color to blue, then the earth should be acidified. This is done by bringing into the ground rotten needles or sawdust of coniferous wood.
Fertilize the soil before planting.
If the water changes color to green, this indicates neutrality of the soil, and red indicates that everything is in order, the earth has the necessary acid composition. A hole is dug half a meter deep and 60 cm wide. Pour mixture of peat, loam, taken in a ratio of 8: 3.5, rammed. Make the hole larger than the root system of a plant.
The seedlings are prepared for planting, they are kept in water until the rise of air bubbles stops. Sapling down the hole so that the radical neck leveled with the ground level. The soil around tamped. The shrub should be watered abundantly, zamulchirovat soil around with moss, peat or oak leaves for 5 cm. If the shrub has a lot of flower buds, some of them are removed, so that the main forces of the bush were spent on rooting.
If the plants are planted alone, they are tied to support pegs, which are removed after the final rooting.
Beautiful rhododendron - the result of proper care
It is impossible to loosen the ground around the rhododendron manually in order to avoid damage to the roots located close to the surface.
Further care involves typical procedures for other cultures:
- top dressing
- bush trimming
- pest and disease control
Rhododendron is a moisture-loving plant, but excessive watering causes root rot. Watered with soft water: settled or rain.
Excessive watering harms the plant
You can soften the water for irrigation by adding a handful of peat a day before irrigation. The plant is sensitive to both drought and excess moisture. Here you need to be attentive. Watering is carried out when the leaves lose elasticity and shine.
Weeds need to pluck hands
It is recommended to pull out weeds by hand, as using hoppers can damage the roots of highly located plants.
Requires frequent spraying of shrubs
Since rhododendron comes from countries with a humid climate, frequent spraying of the bush with soft water is shown.
The plant needs constant feeding, even if the bush was planted in the current year. Fertilizers begin in early spring and end at the end of July, when flowering ends and young shoots begin to emerge. Top dressing is made from semi-rotten cow manure. Manure, diluted with water at a ratio of 1:15, is kept for several days. Before applying the fertilizer bush watered.
Long acting fertilizer
From mineral fertilizers are shown: phosphate, nitrate, potassium sulphate, ammonium sulphate, calcium sulphate and magnesium, superphosphate. Calcium, magnesium and potassium fertilizer taken in a very small proportion: 1.2: 1000.
Nitrogen-containing fertilizers are applied in early spring - 50 grams of magnesium sulphate and the same amount of ammonium sulphate per 1 m2. In early June, after flowering, use 20 grams. potassium sulfate and superphosphate, 40 grams of ammonium sulfate per 1 m 2. Later, in July, make 20 grams. potassium sulfate and superphosphate.
Rhododendron almost does not need the formation of the crown, as it has the correct shape. Periodically should be pruned to remove dried branches, rejuvenation strictly bush. Sometimes it is necessary to regulate certain sizes of the bush.
Rhododendron pruning is done in spring
Pruning is carried out in early spring. Places cut branches with a thickness of 4 mm should be treated with garden pitch. Pruning should be insignificant, should leave at least three-quarters of the bush.
Rhododendrons bloom magnificently through the year. To have a beautiful flowering shrub every year, it is recommended that wilted inflorescences be removed immediately after flowering. This will ensure the flow of power to the plant for the formation of new buds in the next year.
Pest and disease control
Due to poor air access to the roots, rhododendrons are susceptible to infection with fungal diseases. The most common are:
- leaf spot
Yellowing leaves indicates disease chlorosis. To get rid of it, iron chelate is added to the water for irrigation. You can apply a solution of citric acid with iron sulfate. To combat spotting and rust, preparations of copper sulphate are used. Spraying a bush with Bordeaux mixture in early spring and late autumn helps well. It also prevents the occurrence of cancer. If the symptoms have already appeared sick shoots pruned.
The plant is often prone to pests:
- spider mites
- bed bugs
- rhododendron flies
- slugs, snails
Mollusks are harvested by hand. For prophylactic purposes, the plant is treated with an 8% solution of the TMTD fungicide. Weevils, bugs and mites are destroyed by diazinon. Against flies, mealybugs, flakes apply karbofos.
Flower tea helps with colds
Rhododendron contains ascorbic acid in large quantities, tannins, essential oils, volatile production, rutin, tannins, arbutin, andromedotoxin, ericoline, and many other elements that allow you to put it in a number of medicinal plants.
The Caucasian, golden, Daursky, Indian rhododendron have clearly expressed healing properties. Preparations made from the leaves and flowers of the plant give the effect:
Bactericidal properties used in the fight against staphylococci, streptococci, pathogenic microorganisms. Decoction of flowers helps in the treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Included in the diuretic drug for urolithiasis.
Rubbing in sore spots, tinctures of leaves and flowers help with polyarthritis, osteochondrosis, neuralgia, sciatica. The ability to remove fluid from the body is used in many diseases, as it helps to cope with edema, which contributes to improved health. Applied for the treatment of diseases of the heart and blood vessels, hypertension.
Leaf preparations they relieve the condition in case of bronchial asthma, epilepsy, soften dry cough, have a beneficial effect on the lungs, relieve fever. The calming effect improves sleep, relieves irritability, nervousness. Infusion of leaves use as a douche for erosion of the uterus.
Flower tea relieves pain in the head, throat. Effective with colds. Alcohol tincture on flowers and leaves take when poisoning with mercury vapor, inflammation of the mucous membrane.
Since rhododendron contains an insignificant amount of poisonous elements, preparations from it are contraindicated:
- for nursing mothers
- women in position
- patients with acute renal failure
The content of a large amount of essential oils makes rhododendron in demand in the perfume industry. Extracts from the plant go to the manufacture of perfumes.
Features of growing in cold climates
Some gardeners, having chosen a beautiful specimen of rhododendron and having planted it on a plot in the suburbs of the Moscow region, are disappointed, as the bush does not take root, it freezes at the first frost. This is not surprising, since the plant was not properly selected. There are specimens suitable only for warm edges. Planting just such bushes gives an unfortunate result.
Among rhododendrons there are cold-resistant varieties
Residents of the Leningrad region, the Moscow region can grow rhododendron on the garden plots, if properly selected variety. And then the bush will delight gardeners with its exotic beauty. Among rhododendrons there are cold-resistant varieties. These are deciduous plants of a grade: Phukan, Kamchatka, Shlippenbakh, yellow, Japanese. Of the evergreens fit: Kavtenbiysky (hybrids: Nova Zembla, Abraham Lincoln, Alfred, Kenningham), Smirnova (Laika hybrids, Dorothy Swift, Gabriel), the largest, golden, cortical.
Suitable for the cold weather of the central part of Russia of the Northern Light plant: Spicy Lights, Pink Lights, Rosie Lights. For the harsh climate recently brought Finnish varieties: The Hague, Elvira, Mikkeli.
It is not enough to have a cold-resistant variety, it is necessary to plant it correctly and provide the necessary care.
Choosing a shady place, you need to prepare a mixture of soil, mixing peat with garden soil and needles. Mix for rhododendron can be bought in the store. In the ground add complex mineral fertilizer. It is necessary to plant a bush with respect to distance with other trees, the distance must be at least a meter so that the roots do not interfere with the development of the bush.
If the soil is clay, a layer of broken bricks of 15 cm is poured at the bottom of the pit. The size of the pit should be twice the size of the container with the plant. When planting is not recommended to deepen the root neck of the bush, it should be flush with the ground. Having rammed the soil, rhododendron needs to be watered.
Caring for a plant is the same as for a normal garden species.It is necessary to adhere to certain rules, it is:
- maintain soil acidity At the proper level, avoid alkalization. Avoid penetration of ash, dolomite, lime into the ground, as these substances alkalize the ground
- you can not loosen the soil around the landing, так как можно повредить корневую систему, расположенные близко к поверхности земли. Вместо это используют мульчирование
- plant rhododendron on the northern shady side of the plot. Protect the bush from direct sunlight, shelter, cloth, gauze
- Do not flood the plant. In the summer, watering is carried out twice a week.
Continuing rains in the fall can cause the rapid growth of numerous shoots. Since they die before cold weather, they can be avoided by spraying potassium monophosphate or sulfate bush (1.0%). This procedure prevents the development of young shoots, contributes to the laying of flower buds.
Watering the plant after spraying is impossible, even if dry weather is established.
Before the onset of cold weather, the bush is covered with a frame with a film, fixed with string to avoid the ingress of cold air.
Inflorescence contains up to 9 flowers. Flowering begins with the appearance of the first leaves in April and lasts two weeks. The plant prefers stony soil, preferably planted in groups. Avoid groundwater in groundwater.
Propagated by layering, bending shoots to the ground, and seeds. If the plant to provide the right care, it can twice a year please lush flowering.
Rhododendron Katevbinsky "Grandiflorum"
The bark has a brown tint. Elongated leaves of dark green color up to 15 cm in length and up to 5 cm in width. Top - dark and shiny, matte below and light with peeping dark streaks.
Flowers in the form of bells lilac, white, purple, violet-red. In the inflorescence there are up to 20 flowers with a diameter of about 6 cm. The flowering plant is a grand spectacle, able to decorate the most exquisite landscape from May to June. Fruits are formed in October, have the form of boxes.
The plant is used for decorating fences, paths, arbors. With the help of landings you can create colorful compositions, combining with other cultures. Beautifully look near to a thuja and a cypress.
Since the shrub grows well up pruning is recommended in the form of pinching individual shoots. The plant is moisture-loving, so in hot weather it is best to provide deep watering.
Shade plant can bloom even in the shade of trees and buildings. The bush tolerates frosts up to - 40 degrees.
For better flowering, faded blossoms and seed boxes are removed. For a successful wintering plant watered. Good watering should be provided in hot weather - 12 liters per bush twice a week.
Weeding is done by hand, leaving the weeds next to the bush for mulching. Propagated by cuttings and seeds. Planting seeds does not give the opportunity to get a flowering shrub in a short time, flowering begins only in the fifth or sixth year. On this side, grafting is effective. Flowers appear in a year. The plant multiplies well by layering, providing flowering in a year.
Planting is carried out in separate groups, I select plants of different colors. To select the composition is combined with evergreen shrubs, differing in height of the bush. The beauty of rhododendron flowers is especially impressive against the dark crown of spruce, cypress, pine. It is perfectly combined in composition with creeping cultures in rock gardens.
Rhododendron Nova Zembla
Evergreen shrub is cold resistant. The bush grows quickly, reaching a height of two meters. It has a spreading crown. Branched trunk gray.
A distinctive feature is that it can be grown without shelter for the winter, winters with frost -30 degrees. In conditions of a particularly harsh winter in the Urals and in Siberia, the bush is sheltered for the winter with a protective frame. Young fragile shrubs also require shelter with the onset of cold weather.
The bush blooms in May –June. The preferred place for landing are bright places. Grow better on the northern slopes of the mountains, in the shaded corners of the site. The plant does not like strong winds. Feels good in planting next to pine trees.
The plant looks beautiful on large personal plots, in the garden, near reservoirs in the form of group plantings. Effectively combining with other varieties of evergreen rhododendron, which benefits from the use of contrasting colors. It turns out enchanting spectacle.
The main methods of shrub reproduction are cuttings and layering. Propagation by seeds for evergreens is not particularly used, since this method leads to the loss of varietal characteristics.
This type of rhododendron is different in that it does not shed its leaves for the winter, but they just collapse, returning in spring to their original form. It includes several sub-types:
- Roseum Elegance
Rhododendron is golden
Reaches in height to 60 cm, sometimes reaches one meter. The elongated dark green elliptical leaves are 8 cm long, 2.3 cm wide.
Golden-yellow flowers reach a diameter of 5 cm. The inflorescences comprise up to ten flowers. The pubescent filaments terminate in anthers up to 2 mm in size.
In artificial conditions is not well acclimatized. Although there is information about the successful cultivation of seeds. Successfully grown it in the Baltic States and Finland. Outside the zone of natural growth due to the divergence of natural conditions, the bush is difficult to take root. Subjects to disease and dies.
This is a low shrub that grows up to half a meter in height. Elongated leaves reach two centimeters in length and one centimeter in width. Green leaves change their coloring to reddish with age.
Hairy shoots covered with scales. Light pink flowers in diameter of 1.5 cm are collected in inflorescences, which contain up to 15 flowers. Flowering is from June to August.
The shrub has healing properties equivalent to ginseng and lemongrass. From it prepare energy-restorative and stimulating drugs. For the preparation of medicinal fees using inflorescences and leaves. The drugs are used to restore immunity from colds, as a sedative. Used in gynecological practice in the fight against infertility.
Tea brewed from the petals and flowers of the plant improves heart rate, improves cerebral circulation, thereby improving mental disability.
Elongated shiny leaves of dark green color reach a length of 15 cm, width of 5 cm. Large flowers of purple-red color with an olive spot in the middle reach a diameter of 6 cm, collected in inflorescences of 20 flowers.
Flowering begins in June and lasts about 20 days. It is used both for single, and for group landing in the shaded places.
Funnel-shaped flowers with wavy petals on the edges are collected in inflorescences up to 15 pieces. The flowering plant has a beautiful appearance, which makes it preferential in the choice of landscape design.
Only the leaves that appear have a reddish color, changing as the plant grows to a dark green. Gardeners love for decoration at any time of the year and frost resistance.
Rhododendron: the choice of location, landing, care
Rhododendron: description, planting in the open field and caring for it, to ensure lush flowering from Moscow region to Siberia (80 Photos & Video) + Reviews
Feedback from our readers is very important to us. If you do not agree with these estimates, leave your rating in the comments with the arguments of your choice. Thank you for your participation. Your opinion will be useful to other users.
Varieties and varieties
Translated from the Greek rhododendron sounds like a "rose tree". Rhododendron Park in Bremen, in the north of Germany, is a paradise for fans of these colorful shrubs. They collected an unparalleled collection of 600 wild species of 3 250 cultivated varieties of these plants. Unfortunately, only a few of them are suitable for cultivation in central Russia and the Urals. In Russia, there are 18 species of plants in their natural environment.
Rhododenrons can be divided into several groups:
When choosing a variety for planting in the Urals, pay attention to winter hardiness - the plant must withstand a temperature drop of up to 32 degrees without shelter. The rest is a matter of taste. We recommend for planting such time-tested varieties as in the photo:
- Katevbinsky Grandiflorum.
- Roseum Elegance.
Proper planting of rhododendrons is the key to successful plant development in the future. The site should be protected from wind and direct sun, in the wild rhododendrons grow under the cover of trees in the underbrush. The shadow should be sparse, with full shading the bush does not bloom. Rhododendron is well suited for the plot on the north side of the house, where the sun is present only part of the daylight. Good to plant at the reservoir - the plant likes moist air. Despite its love for moisture, rhododendron does not tolerate its excess at all, therefore, areas with close groundwater deposition will not work for the plant, and it is necessary to provide for drainage when setting up the landing pit.
Rhododendron does not fit alkaline heavy soil with neutral acidity. Like all heather, rhododendron prefers acidic soil enriched with peat. The landing pit is filled with such a soil mixture: sour peat and pine bark with coniferous bedding is mixed in half with leaf soil. Manure and ashes must not be applied - they alkalize the soil.
The root system of rhododendron is superficial and compact, therefore, the pit for planting is digging a wide but shallow one. Rubble is poured at the bottom, filled with soil mixture and, after planting, they mulch with a layer of compost from the bark and needles of pine, oak leaves or beech leaves. Mulch will protect the roots from overheating and retain moisture, and in the winter it will protect against freezing. The root neck at planting should be at the level of the ground or slightly higher, taking into account its further precipitation.
Council Evergreen rhododendrons need to be watered also in winter.
Growing rhododendron in cold climates: photos
- Why do the branches dry on apricot?
- Choice of colophonic cherries for the Moscow region: the best varieties
- Raspberry "News Kuzmina", or the reason for love - in taste
- Secrets of growing home lotus
Good evening! Can I add leaves of rhododendron hybrid Bernstein to tea?