Rose Gloria Day - the creation of the French breeder Francis Meiyan. The variety was bred from 1935 to 1939. In Latin, Gloria Dei translates as "Glory of the Lord." And this is not its only name. In the United States, for example, it is called Peace, which means “Peace,” in Italy, Gioia, translated as “Delight.”
An interesting fact is that the hybrid tea rose Gloria was presented to the heads of the delegations of the founding countries at the First United Nations Assembly, which was held in 1945. After that, the rose received the status of a symbol of peace and harmony. In addition, the French beauty has repeatedly won at prestigious exhibitions and competitions of world scale. So, the characteristic features of the rose Gloria Day later in the article.
Description of the rose Gloria Dei - the advantages and disadvantages
Rose Gloria belongs to the tea-hybrid varieties and is often used as the basis for the creation of new species. So in 1949, a variety of climbing rose was discovered, mutating from Gloria. It was opened by an American breeder Lee Brady and named Gloria Dei Climbing. Therefore, when purchasing a seedling, it is necessary to carefully study the packaging and pay attention to whether the abbreviation Cl stands for the name, which indicates loadability.
Large double flowers of hybrid roses fascinate with their exquisite color. They are like small suns scattered on a tall, branchy, compact bush, framed by dark green, glossy, jagged leaves. The tea rose bush grows to a height of 1-1.2 m and spreads out 90 cm wide, the height of the climbing species reaches a height of 2.5-3.5 m and width up to 2 m. The stalks of the Gloria Day variety are straight, studded with thorns.
Rose Gloria Day, the description of the flowers is difficult to convey in words, is decorated with scyphoid yellow-green buds, which, dissolving, turn into a shape-shaped flowers, acquiring a golden-yellow color with a pink frame of petals. In addition, the middle of the flower is colored lemon. Blossoming bud has about 45 petals, up to 18-20 cm in diameter. The aroma has a pleasant, honey-fruity, which can vary under different temperature conditions.
It blooms a little later than the main part of roses, blooms again, continuously, until the end of autumn. Highly resistant to diseases and rain. Among the advantages listed above, there are several drawbacks. This late blooming, lack of frost resistance, poor shade endurance.
Rules for growing roses Gloria Dei Cl
To sort roses Gloria Cl. retained its varietal quality, when growing it is necessary to adhere to the following rules:
- landing in a sunny, ventilated place, protected from drafts,
- water once in 7 days under a bush. Pour 20-30 liters of distilled water,
- mulch the land around the plant
- fertilize regularly,
- annually conduct basic and preventive pruning,
- for a climbing rose to organize support,
- shelter for the winter,
- to prevent diseases and attacks of pests.
Proper care and planting play an important role in the cultivation and development of the Gloria Day rose.
Choosing a garden location and planting
The best time for planting a hybrid is May, when the ground warms up well. Place for planting roses Gloria Day should choose a lit, sunny and well-ventilated. It is also necessary to provide protection from drafts and wind. The soil prefers a light, moisture retaining, well-breathable, slightly acidic, saturated with nutrients soil. An integral part of planting is soil drainage.
A flower is planted as follows:
- the seedling is placed for several hours in water. You can add a root growth stimulator to it,
- a pit is dug 40 cm deep
- the bottom is filled with a layer of drainage,
- from above settles a layer of soil mixture prepared in advance. You can prepare it by mixing fertile garden soil, river sand and humus in a ratio of 2: 1: 1, respectively
- lower the seedling into the pit, the grafting site should go deeper 3-4 cm below the ground,
- compacted, covered with soil,
- plenty of water.
Caring for Gloria Day - dressing, pruning, watering
Rose Gloria - a plant capricious and in need of good care. Feed the flower should be three times a season. The first feeding should be carried out during the appearance of the first foliage and young shoots. Urea is used for it, thanks to which foliage and stems develop better.
The second time the rose is fertilized at the beginning of bud formation. Feed mineral preparations or organic matter, which contributes to lush flowering.
The last fertilizer application is carried out 15-20 days before the onset of cold weather. Rose is fed with potassium phosphate drugs that increase plant immunity and frost resistance.
Experienced rose growers recommend fertilizing the rose with a slurry solution consisting of 1 part of mullein and 3 parts of water. The mixture is infused for 2 weeks, then potassium sulphate and superphosphate are added to it and infused for another 14 days. Before watering, the solution is diluted with water at a ratio of 1:10, respectively.
Watering manure bush should be after watering water. After the soil dries out, tarn it with fresh soil. The next morning fluff.
Pruning plays an important role in the care of the hybrid tea. It can be formative and sanitary. The cutting tool must be very sharp as well as disinfected. Blunt can damage the bark of the stems, making them less protected from infections.
Sanitary pruning is carried out throughout the spring and summer. It consists in the removal of damaged, weak, sick and dried shoots, withered and wilted buds.
Formative pruning is carried out in the fall half a month before the arrival of the first cold weather. All shoots of the bush are shortened and the plant is prepared for wintering.
Gardeners recommend watering the rose Gloria Dei in the evening. Watering is carried out 2 times in 7 days with warm, settled water. The amount of fluid poured under the bush should be 5-7 liters. For irrigation, it is good to use rain or melt water, which does not contain chemicals. In rainy weather, watering can be reduced or stopped altogether.
Gloria Day Hybrid Tea Rose:
A bit of history
In the first half of the twentieth century, significant events occurred in the world, and it was at this time in France that the famous breeder Meiland brought out a new variety of roses. The work on improvement lasted 4 years, from 1935 to 1939. When the selection work was completed and the florist received the first prototype, Meyland gave the variety a name. The name sounded like "Madame A.Meilland". The breeder named a rose in honor of his mother, who died in her youth.
The rose turned out to be surprisingly beautiful, which served its instant spread far beyond the borders of France. Each country in which rose was grown Gloria Day, gave the flower its name. For example, in Italy, Gloria Day is called “Gioia”, which means “delight”, in the United States of America Rosa Dei is called “Peace”, which means “peace”. In Germany, the flower is called Gloria Dei, it is from this country that the variety arrived and received its distribution in the USSR.
In 1945, at the first UN congress in San Francisco, the heads of the delegation were presented with a flower Glorii Dei as a sign of consent and peace.
Gloria Day belongs to the tea hybrids. The bush does not exceed 1.2 meters in height, a little sprawling, the stems are straight, branched, they have thorns. The leaves of this variety are large, dark green in color, with slightly serrated edges.
The flowers of this variety of roses are terry, rather large, interesting color. The main color is considered to be lemon-yellow, it is this color that is the core of the color. The edges of the petals may have a pinkish or white shade. The color of the petals varies depending on the phase of blooming. If at the beginning of flowering the petals have a yellowish-green color, by the middle of the process the flower becomes golden-yellow. By the end of flowering, the petals turn golden, the edge of the petals becomes saturated pink.
In one bud may be about 45 petals. Due to this, the flower blooms magnificently.
Equally popular in both the northern and southern regions. The diameter of the blooming flower reaches 18–20 cm. It blooms continuously throughout the summer, the last buds bloom in early autumn.
Subspecies glorii dei
Rose Gloria Day is today considered the best tea hybrid, in addition, this variety is the best-selling in the world. Among the hybrid tea varieties of roses Gloria Day is considered the most durable and sustainable.
On the basis of this species, breeders bred about 390 varieties of roses. To date, work on the breeding of new varieties is not stopped, scientists breeders with might and main to work on it. The most popular "descendants" of Gloria's rose are considered to be:
- Princess of Monaco.
- Reception in the garden.
- Gold Crown.
- Love and peace.
- Talking sun.
- Fiery world.
In the fifties of the last century, breeders of many countries, having joined forces, jointly brought out a new variety - GloriaDayclimbing. This subspecies retained all the qualities of a famous ancestor, but unlike the original, the bush is able to weave.
Planting and care
The rose bush is planted in early May, when the soil is completely removed from the winter and thawed out. It is recommended to plant sunny areas that are protected from the wind. The soil should be drained, it is desirable to choose a soil with a weakly acidic environment. Before planting, it is recommended to lower the roots of the plant into the water so that they are saturated with moisture. Flower growers, especially beginners, should properly prepare the pits for planting: the depth should be made not more than 40 cm deep, the distance between the holes should also be 40 cm.
Rose Gloria belongs to the capricious ornamental plants. In order for the entire warm period of flowers to please the eye, it is necessary to follow certain rules:
- It is recommended to water the bush with warm water
- it is necessary to ensure the availability of soil enriched with organic fertilizers,
- The plant needs mineral fertilization.
The plant is recommended for the first time to feed with urea, for the second and subsequent times it is necessary to feed potash-phosphorus dressings.
Many growers fertilize the soil with manure. Gloria's rose bushes can be fertilized with slurry; you only need to properly prepare the top dressing. Manure is best taken cow, fourteen days before using it is mixed with water at the rate of 1 to 3. Then add to the substance superphosphate and sulfatepotassium. Let stand for two weeks, before use, dilute the mixture with water at a rate of 1 to 10.
The furrows must first be watered with water, then with a prepared top dressing. Under each bush is recommended to pour at least 5 liters of fertilizer. Dry soil should be lightly sprinkled with earth. The next day, the soil fluff.
Experienced flower growers say that watering the queen of flowers of the Gloria variety is best in the evening when the sun sets over the horizon. Only in this case, the roots will absorb a sufficient amount of moisture and daytime sunlight will not burn the rhizomes. If the winters are mild, without severe cold snaps, it is not necessary to cover the bush. At a temperature not higher than -15 degrees Celsius, the plant will be hardened, which will further help to avoid overcooling.
If between the roses or around the rose garden to plant a plant marigoldThis will help to avoid saving the bushes from the harmful effects of harmful microorganisms. Marigolds synthesize and release into the air enzymes that adversely affect pathogenic bacteria.
Fresh and young bushes need to be given a little time to strengthen. For this, it is recommended to remove the first 7-8 buds.
This variety needs pruning. A sharp pruner at a distance of 0.5 cm is necessary to cut the escape.
Trimming should be carried out with a sharp, well-sharpened tool. Pruning shoots blunt pruners can lead to a change in the direction of growth.
It should be noted that this variety is practically not subject to disease. He is not afraid of powdery mildew, rust, root rot and most infectious diseases of fungal origin. If the above diseases still appear, the grower should pay attention to the growing conditions of the queen of flowers - most likely, care is wrong or inappropriate environment.
To pests attacking the bushes of Gloria, include:
With timely detection of pests can easily get rid of with insecticides.
There is another trick in pest control. Seasoned flower growers are advised to plant in the immediate vicinity of the rose garden plants with a specific smell. For example, bitter pepper, garlic or horsetail will scare off parasites.
History of creation
Few people know, and yet this gentle beauty could have remained just an unsuccessful experiment in an attempt to reproduce the hybrid that she liked. But, everything is in order. In 1935, ordinary work was done in the French family nursery Meilland - hybrids grown from their own seeds were evaluated. Most of them were rejected. Attention attracted only a single copy, which was assigned a working number 3-35-40. This hybrid had a large double flower with an unusually beautiful color. The problem was that only 3 buds were suitable for vaccination, which made further breeding difficult. As a result, only one kidney took root, but it was she who became the very variety that in a few years will create a real sensation in the world of rose growing and will establish a new standard for the quality of roses. But the rising star on the road to international recognition had to endure another mishap. In 1942, German troops entered France, and in order to save an unusual copy, it was decided to secretly ship it to America. At home Gloria Day returned only after the war. And it was in 1945 that the whole world learned about our heroine.
Francois Meijin, the son of the head of the family business, dedicated this magnificent flower to his early mother, so the original name of the variety sounds like Mme Antoine Meilland. Exhibition title - Peace (Peace). Under the same name, our heroine was represented in English-speaking countries. In Germany, she is known as Gloria Dei (Glory of God), and in Italy her name sounds like Gioia (Joy). In the USSR, gained the greatest popularity under the name Glory to the World.
The birth of Gloria Day cannot be called accidental, it was led to years of hard work and thoughtful selection. Parent forms of our heroine served as several species: seeds obtained from crossing (Georqe Dickson × Souv. De Claudius Pernet) × (Johanna Hill × Charles Kilham) and pollen Marqaret McGredy.
In August 1945, the All-American Bureau of Rose Breeding awarded the Peace variety with a prize, and it was on that day that the war with Japan ended. And on the day of the signing of the peace treaty with Japan, our heroine was awarded the Gold Medal - the highest award of the American Rose Society. Isn't it an amazing coincidence considering the fact that all the events were planned long before the historical events. The peak of the popularity of the variety fell on the 50th - 60th year of the last century. It was then that awards fell on a beautiful flower like a horn of plenty. In the 1965th year in the Hague, Gloria Dey was awarded the title "Golden Rose". In 1976, the entry to the Hall of Fame was made by decision of the World Federation of Pink Societies. In 1993, he was awarded the prize "For Garden Merits" from the Royal Horticultural Society.
The bush is a vigorous, classic straight shape, branched, powerful, 100-150 cm tall (according to some sources, up to 2 meters). Bush width up to 90 - 125 cm. Shoots are long, with an average number of large spikes. The leaves are large, dark green, shiny, dense, with distinct veins. Not even a flowering bush looks decorative. The number of buds on the stem is 1, but sometimes inflorescences of several, but not more than 6, appear.
The bud in hybrid tea beauty Gloria Dei is incredibly large. Flowers retain an attractive appearance in all stages of dissolution, starting with a tall, elegant, goblet-shaped bud and ending with a stage of full disclosure, in which a pion-shaped form is acquired. The diameter of the rose is 13-16 cm. The buds are densely double, with 26 to 43 (sometimes more) petals. Petals to the touch resemble silk. They are painted in a soft yellow color, which is closer to the edges becomes pink-red or crimson edging. Burning out in the sun, the petals of Gloria Day become creamy-pink. The American rosovod Robert Pyle, who cared for the variety during the Second World War, described the appearance of the flower as follows: "My eyes are blinded, I admire the huge yellow canary framed in crimson aureole." But in a culture, the color of a flower may vary depending on the season and the place of cultivation. The aroma is light and pleasant, it can be described as moderately expressed. Although there are exceptions. Some complain about the complete absence of smell, for others, on the contrary, the smell is too strong.
Gloria Day belongs to re-flowering. In fact, it turns out that the bush is able to bloom almost continuously throughout the summer, and in warm regions before the onset of cold weather. But for this you need to timely remove the faded brush. Первое цветение начинается в третьей декаде июня и длится целый месяц. За этот период взрослый куст формирует более 40 бутонов. Но цветок держится недолго, через 3 – 4 дня он отцветает. Вторая волна цветения розы при должном уходе так же радует крупноцветностью, но количество цветков уже умеренное.
- The decorative qualities of Gloria Day can be judged by 2 - 3 years after planting, when the bush is gaining vegetative mass,
- winter hardiness is good, it corresponds to the 6th USDA zone (US Department of Agriculture). This means that the bush will calmly survive the winter lowering of the temperature to -23.3 ° C. In this zone are the Krasnodar Territory, the Crimea, the Caucasus, the western and southern regions of Ukraine. But, according to reviews, the plant tolerates winters in the Moscow region and the Leningrad region, of course, under shelter,
- Rose immunity is good, despite the fact that the variety is old. It may be affected by powdery mildew and black spot in particularly unfavorable years, but if you take in general, most of the reviews indicate a high resilience to diseases. Gloria Day resists pests quite well
- wet weather resistance is above average. In warm regions, rainy weather does not affect the aesthetic appearance of the flower. But in cool regions, with a general cooling and wet weather, some of the rosettes can be damaged, and gray rot can appear on the buds,
- the flower feels good in the sun, but in strong heat the flowers fade away earlier than usual, while the yellow color fades, but the pink becomes brighter.
Gloria Day was widely used in breeding and became the progenitor of many famous species. For example, in the Soviet Union, with its participation, breeders bred varieties such as Scarlet Sails, Alma-Ata fragrant, Vasilisa the Beautiful, Kazakhstan Jubilee, Beauty of the festival, Komsomolsk light, Major Gagarin. With her participation, the varieties Chicago Peace, Mitsouko, Princess de Monaco, Kronenbourg, Pullman Orient Express, Dame de Couer appeared. In the 1950s, in various countries, independently of one another, the Peace form of climbing was established under the name Peace CI.
Planting and farming
Before choosing the time of landing, analyze the climatic conditions of the region, because the success of the event will depend on the right chosen period. Although many growers prefer to carry out this procedure in the autumn - a month before the onset of cold weather. Choose a sunny place, because the rose is light-requiring and loves to swim in the sun. But again, there are nuances. If you are a resident of the sultry south, then choose a place so that in the midday hours the queen of the flower beds will be protected by light penumbra. Best of all, Gloria Day develops at a temperature of 15 to 28 ° C. The soil should be nutritious and light, with moderate acidity.
Watering requires abundant, but in the intervals between wetting the soil should have time to dry. Nutrients are necessary for bright flowering, so regular dressings with universal fertilizers will benefit the rose. It is especially important to feed the plant before the second flowering. Strong pruning Gloria Dei does not tolerate. In the process of vegetation, it is necessary to remove faded flowers in time, allowing the forming buds to open in time. If there is no snow cover during the winter period, and at the same time the temperature drops below the critical one, then the bush should be spudded with dry earth and covered with any breathing material. It is suitable for this spruce branches or lutrasil. As an inoculation, rose Kanina (dogrose dog) or rugoza (wrinkled dogrose) are used.
Gloria Day is considered to be a strong and durable variety, forgiving the inept gardeners their small flaws. Magnificent flowering causes others wonderful feelings and positive emotions. Unpretentious care culture is very popular in landscape design, it is gorgeous in a single planting, not lost in the composition with other plants and varieties of roses. A large bud and a long stem are components of a beautiful bouquet, so a variety is often grown for cutting. In order to unusual to arrange a corner for relaxing in the garden, the plant is formed as a standard form. There are a lot of delightful reviews about this variety, even after more than a dozen years, Gloria Dey continues to win hearts. This variety is rightfully recognized as a XX century rose, as Robert Pyle spoke so perspicaciously, in whose words you want to finish the story about an amazing flower with a difficult fate: "It’s so beautiful, full of promise, and I’m sure it will be the greatest rose of the century."
Bred Gloria Dei in 1935 by French breeder Francis Mayan, naming it after its deceased mother “Madame A. Meilland”. Having spread after 1945 throughout Europe, the new variety has received various names:
- in Italy - Gioia (joy),
- in Germany - Gloria Dei,
- in England and the USA - Peace (peace),
- in France - Madame Meiyan,
- in the USSR - Gloria Day.
Now the most popular hybrid tea variety in the world is spread over all countries: “French beauty” is loved by gardeners in many cities and villages. A brief description of a climbing plant consists of the following characteristics:
- bush perennial, strong-growing, reaches a height of 1.5-2 m,
- the foliage is thick, dark green saturated color,
- flowers are double, large, reach a diameter of 15 cm,
- stems in the amount of 5-7 pieces covered with sharp spikes,
- the bud after complete dissolution is pale yellow, with a pinkish-raspberry border, then gradually becomes creamy, turns into a pastel ombre,
- the flower has from 26 to 43 petals
- delicate aroma, changeable, from subtle honey to sweet fruit, depends on growing conditions and time of year,
- bloom - from early June to early July.
Shrubs are practically not affected by diseases and pests, the petals do not crumble for a long time. Variety resistant to frost.
Hybrid tea rose Gloria Dei was bred during breeding work when crossing several French and American varieties:
- Georg Dickson
- Charles Kilham
- Claudia Pernet,
- Margaret Mac Grady,
- Joanna Hill
- F. Meilland.
On the basis of the reference variety Gloria Day, breeders bred about 390 new roses. The following varieties became descendants of this tea hybrid:
- Princess of Monaco,
- Gold Crown,
- Fiery world
- Garden party,
- Talking sun and others.
The tea hybrid of Gloria Day in climbing form is not a separate variety, but a plant kidney mutation. It is sold in nurseries labeled "Cl." Or "Climbing." In Russia, this climbing subspecies is known under the trademarks Gioia Climbing, Peace Climbing.
The main characteristics of the rose Gloria Dei Climbing:
- bush is strong, beautiful,
- flowers are suitable for cutting,
- plant re-flowering, not winter-hardy,
- immunity to fungal infections,
- flowers - large, goblet hybrid tea-form,
- the color of the buds is yellow-cream, with a pinkish border,
- the number of flowers on the stem is one.
It is important to know. The breeding of climbing roses Gloria Dei Climbing is not an easy task, unbearable for beginners-growers. It is better to purchase seedlings in a proven nursery, since in the absence of vaccination the parent qualities of the plant will be irretrievably lost.
Site selection and conditions of detention
It is possible to get beautiful and floriferous bushes of the Gloria Dei Climbing tea and hybrid rose only by observing the agrotechnology when planting and growing this ornamental plant. It should choose the right place for the bush, take into account the moisture and nutrient composition of the soil, the shaded area.
- Lighting and location. Variety Gloria Day is one of the light-loving, longer and more abundant blooms in open sunny areas. However, in hot seasons, the yellowish-cream color of the petals can fade in the sun, dim, and pink, on the contrary, become crimson. If desired, it is allowed to plant a bush in a shaded flower garden. A place to grow should be protected from strong gusts of wind, slanting rain and drafts.
- Temperature. The purchased rosebush in spring is planted in a permanent place in early May, when the soil completely departs from winter and warms up in the sun. In harsh winters, you should cover the lash with cloth, coniferous branches, sprinkle with earth or sawdust, throw it with snow so that the plant does not die from frost when the temperature drops below -15 degrees Celsius.
- Air and humidity. The plant likes frequent spraying of leaves from a spray or a hose, however water should not be cold. Drafts are undesirable, as is the piercing wind at any time of the year, especially in winter. During prolonged rains, unblown buds may rot. Also, water stagnation should not be allowed when irrigating on the soil surface.
- Priming. The soil for growing climbing roses should be drained, slightly acid, quite loose. The plant will not grow on clay. Before planting, it is necessary to fertilize the soil with organic matter, adding humus, rotted manure or peat. Do not interfere, and powder soil fertilizer in the form of granules before digging. It should also be added to the landing pit a little sand, peat, poured to the bottom of the drainage - expanded clay, pebbles, fine gravel.
Planted bushes in pots or containers in the garden in early May, from about 1 to 10 numbers. Before being placed in the wells, the saplings are saturated with moisture, placed in containers with water and stimulants for several hours. In a dug and fertilized bed, pits are dug at a distance of 40-50 cm and a depth of about 30 cm. Seedlings are placed in the pits, pre-dipping the roots in a clay mash. To make it simple - 2 parts of clay, 1 part of water and 1 part of manure are mixed in a basin or bucket. Then the holes are covered with earth, tamped.
Subsequent maintenance in the open field includes the execution of several periodic actions:
- Watering. Produced as the drying of the soil is warm, heated in the sun with water, from a watering can or bucket. It is advisable to defend it to reduce stiffness. In hot weather the bushes are sprayed. It is better to water the landing in the evenings, after sunset. In this case, the roots will not be scorched under the hot rays of the sun, they will absorb more moisture from the earth.
- Mulching. Immediately after planting, the ground is mulched with rotted manure, peat, or pine bark for less drying of the soil and weed control. During the summer, the procedure is repeated a couple of times, not forgetting, after weeding, to loosen the soil well. Experienced rosewood growers recommend podkuchivat stems in early spring and autumn to a height of about 10 cm, protecting the lower buds from low temperatures during cold snap.
- Protection against pests and diseases. Although climbing rose Gloria Day is not susceptible to the defeat of various insects and diseases, it is better to carry out a number of preventive measures. To protect against pests around the bushes planted a few undersized marigolds. These fragrant flowers secrete special enzymes that repel aphids, ticks. Also in the late spring, foliar and stems are treated with mildew with special fungicides.
- Feeding. Climbing Rose Gloria Day is responsive to organic and mineral fertilizers. The best option for growing in the garden - watering slurry from cow dung or urea in spring. In early and mid-summer potash-phosphate formulations containing potassium sulfate and superphosphate should be added.
- Crop. When growing the Gloria Day variety, it is advisable to trim the lashes both in early spring after lifting the shelter and in the autumn period. In the spring, branches are pruned immediately after the bags, fabric, and spruce branches are removed from the bushes. In young plants, 2-3 buds are left, in adults - 6-7. In autumn, the procedure is carried out at the end of October, removing the wilted leaves and cutting off the flowering buds. In the summer, a cosmetic pruning of dried branches and flowers, sick or broken shoots is performed.
Analysis of feedback from experienced gardeners suggests that Gloria Dei Climbing is a sun-loving variety suitable for growing in regions with a mild climate. However, some flower growers planted bushes in Siberia, seeking short-term flowering. Below are a few reviews with recommendations for planting, care, maintenance.
“When buying in a nursery, I paid attention to a photo with beautiful flowers of yellowish-pink shade, I fell in love with this beauty right away. But I planted my bush wrong - in the open, where the wind is walking, blowing snow in winter. Only a year was happy to bloom - even under the fir branches, my rose froze out and died. Now looking for a grade againGloria Dei to admire the beautiful lashes on the low arch at the gate».
“A resilient sapling, it is almost impossible to" kill. " Ordered by mail, sent only after a month, not a bush, but a dried-up stem. Soaked in water, setin a bucketon the porch outside. And I forgot. I remembered after 3 weeks when my “rusk” took root. I planted a mixture of peat and humus near the fence; over the summer, a bush grew with branches about 3 m long. Even all the neighbors admired the flowering, asking for the name of the variety. Perhaps I will buy another gorgeous Gloria Dei, but I’ll be looking for one in the nursery. ”.
Evgenia Pavlovna, Moscow region
“Gloria Day was planted according to all the rules, but the bush began to blossom only in the 4th year, when he increased the lashes 2 meters long. For all these years, no ill. I counted 9 unusually beautiful flowers with an amazing pink border along the edge of the petals. The second time, my rosette gave 10 buds, even larger ones, apparently, responded to top dressing. In the autumn I put the branches in sawdust, I cover it with spruce branches, in the winter I throw snow on it ”.
“My climbing bush is already 3 years old. The winter worries under a building bag and snow. In the spring, we have to cut the shoots heavily due to freezing in our harsh climate. My Gloria Day blooms profusely, but during long rains the buds rot. ”
Rose Gloria Day bred in the nursery Meilland in France. Very interesting is the background of its appearance. In the middle of the nineteenth century, Lyon's gardener Joseph Rambaux, who loved roses, was able to bring eight new varieties at once. And his son-in-law, Francis Dubreuil, who was also very interested in the “queen of flowers,” brought out sixty-four species as a result of the crossing. Family work continued. The nursery has grown so much, and the popularity of seedlings purchased from these gardeners has become so large that after World War I had to acquire a new piece of land.
Rose Gloria Day was named a symbol of peace, harmony. At the UN First Assembly itself, held in San Francisco in 1945, the heads of the delegations of each of the founding countries received this flower.
"Queen" always won prestigious exhibitions and international competitions. Gloria Day is still considered a classic - the benchmark of a hybrid rose. It is very often used as a base species for breeding new varieties. Many of the new hybrids become winners of major international exhibitions. These are the varieties Prima Ballerina, Christian Dior, Princess of Monaco, etc. All of them owe their appearance to this wonderful flower: the ancestor of many of them is the Gloria Day rose.
Rose Gloria Day likes to be watered late in the evening, after the final sunset. In this case, the roots will not only take enough water, but will not be scorched by the day's rays. It is not necessary to cover the rose in winter, if frost is not expected to be too severe. This plant is only perfectly tempered at a temperature of minus fifteen degrees.
Neighborhood with marigolds helps to protect the rose from harmful organisms and diseases. They need to be planted around the rose garden: these unpretentious flowers emit special enzymes in the air that are excellent in fighting the many threats of a flower garden.
Experts advise not to give young and freshly planted seedlings to flower. It is better to break off the first five or six buds so that at first all the forces of the plant go to strengthen the roots. Knowing all the features of cultivation, there is no doubt that within six months the real flower garden will appear on the plot, the main “hero” of which will be the Gloria Dei rose.
No wonder this plant is called trouble-free. It winters beautifully, and the fact that new shoots mature well in autumn contributes a lot to this. Many gardeners prefer to plant this particular variety, because new flowers are constantly forming on it, and not just one on each stem, like in other species, but two or three. Roses are kept for at least seven days, besides they are absolutely not afraid of rainy weather. According to many, this variety has no particular preferences. Rose Gloria Day prefers a good top dressing and timely watering, and for this she pleases her owners with a real floral holiday.
Gloria Day Care
Caring for a hybrid tea rose is not particularly difficult. When growing "Gloria Day" you need to follow a few simple rules:
- rose bushes are pruned during spring, summer and autumn,
- the spring period is the most important period of time for Gloria, in which pruning is done after planting or removing shelter from the bushes,
- young bushes require trimming only 2-3 buds, but adults - 6-7 buds,
- in the last week of October, pruning of leaves, weak buds and shoots is carried out,
- unhealthy and faded flowers are removed,
- in the beginning of August, all fatty (too large) shoots are removed for the ripening of the lower shoots before the beginning of the winter cold,
- every two weeks, from May to July, the roses are fertilized using mineral fertilizers, organic substances,
- since August, nitrogen fertilizers are stopped and fertilizing begins only with the content of potassium and phosphorus,
- before sheltering for protection from frost for the winter period, pruning of all excess is made: not grown shoots and foliage. Надземная часть обрабатывается 3%-ным составом железного купороса.
Как уже отмечалось ранее, роза «Глория Дей» очень хорошо противостоит самым различным болезням, однако есть одно заболевание, которого стоит опасаться — черная пятнистость. Особо часто эта болезнь встречается во влажные годы с низкой средней температурой. Борьба с черной пятнистостью ведется на протяжении всего года.
Вот, что можно делать, чтобы уберечь розу от болезни:
- every two weeks in the spring period, spray the bushes with preparations containing zinc and kankkozeba,
- in case of dark spots, apply medicine against this disease,
- in particularly wet time, roses can be treated with sulfur containing products,
- mulch the soil
- Additionally, you can feed with potassium, process infusions of horsetail and nettle.
With a serious development of the disease to use copper sulfate, while treating not only the plant itself, but also the soil every 7-10 days.
Features of growing
In order for the plant to bloom profusely and for a long time, you need to take a responsible approach to the choice of planting place.
The tea hybrid rose Gloria Day prefers:
- highly fertile (with a humus content of 3-6%), containing a large amount of organic soil,
- water and breathable,
- neutral or slightly acidic.
In central Russia, plants are planted in early May, when the soil warms up. Preparation of the site is carried out under the winter:
- dig deep
- run by fertile garden land
- make organic and mineral fertilizers.
Landing should be sunny and protected from cold winds. It is better if earlier legumes or asters grew here.
In the spring, planting pits for roses 25-30 cm deep are prepared on the settled soil. The root system of the rose is also shortened by 20-30 cm.
Roses Gloria Day planted in the distance:
- between the rows - 40-60 cm,
- in a row - 30-40 cm.
When planting, straighten the roots of roses, so that they are not crumpled and not bend. At the end of the bush spud to a height of 15 cm.
On a note! It is permissible to plant roses in open ground in the fall, but then they need to create the most favorable conditions, otherwise they will not take root and will not overwinter.
In the first year, the care of plants consists in watering, loosening the soil, weeding. On poor soils in the second half of the season, they feed.
In subsequent periods of vegetation, immediately after the shelter is removed, the roses are pruned sanitary - all disturbing branches, injured and frostbitten shoots are removed.
Rose Gloria Day is moisture-loving, responsive to dressing. Moisturize the earth every 3-4 days in the evenings. For irrigation use only warm distilled water. The stream is directed under the root.
Fertilize the soil regularly:
- In the spring make humus and compost.
- In the period of budding - a solution of humus or bird droppings.
- After the first flowering - complex mineral fertilizer.
In the summer, they systematically work to prevent the appearance of diseases and pests. The greatest danger to the rose Gloria Day are:
- Black spot - occurs when high humidity, thickening of the plantings, excess or deficiency of nutrients. When a disease is detected, they are treated with fungicides (Profit, Scor, Oxyx etc.).
- Rosana Aphid - feeds on cell sap, because of which the plants weaken and wither. What drugs are used to combat: Malathion (60-90 g per 10 liters), Chlorophos 0.17%, soap solution (300 g per 10 liters).
Formative pruning roses spend in late autumn. It rejuvenates the bush and provides abundant flowering of Gloria Day in the new season.
When the onset of cold weather in the second half of October, the bushes spud, cover with sawdust and spruce fir trees. In the spring, after the snow melts, the roses open gradually so that there are no sunburns. Before the growth begins, the frozen and damaged parts are cut off.
To preserve the varietal qualities of rose Gloria Day propagated by cuttings. Planting material is harvested when the branches are woody, but have not yet stopped growing. Cuttings taken in the form of fragments of the middle zone of the shoots. They are placed in a layer of washed sand with a thickness of 5 cm, under which is a fertile soil mixture. From her plant receives nutrients in the process of rooting.
Application in landscape design
Rose Gloria Day is used to decorate parks, alleys, squares, flower beds, rock gardens and rocky gardens. It organically looks both in single, and in group landings.
This is a versatile variety of roses that goes well with other plants. It is better to plant three bushes next to it so that the composition looks more magnificent. On the background, it is desirable to create a smooth lawn on which the roses of Gloria Day will look like a bright attractive spot.
Rose Bush Gloria Day
If the plot is spacious, small ornamental shrubs are placed behind the flowers, leaving sufficient distance. Evergreens are great for this.
Roses can be planted:
It is better to avoid combining with bright colors. They disperse attention, landing look too motley and lose decorative effect.
Hybrid tea roses are good both in urban landscape design and in private areas. Gloria Dale - a recognized leader. It differs in an original color of large and magnificent flowers. Now it is the most beloved and common hybrid tea variety in the world.