There is an opinion that the dressing needs to be properly selected, otherwise the plant will actively develop the tops of the plant from an excess of nutrients. About good yields in such cases we are not talking. The principles of formation of the composition of fertilizers, about when to feed the onions and the rules of their introductions are described in this article.
Do need onions and sevka feed?
Even the most unpretentious plants need enough nutrition. The composition of the soil has a direct impact on the growing season, the formation of fruits, so in order to get a good harvest, it will be necessary to comply not only with the conditions of cultivation of the crop, but also in time to introduce supplementary foods.
The characteristics of the bow are that it is literally absorbs all the nutrients from the soilexhausting it. At the same time it is not necessary to use all fertilizers.
The technology of spring planting or planting in May includes the preparation of beds in the fall. The plot is enriched with humus or compost on the basis of 5-7 kg of fertilizers per m2.
In the fall, the beds are fertilized with compost or humus
If the land is depleted, you can not do without mineral substances, it must be fertilized before you plant something. Open ground must be dug up so that during the winter period a fertile layer is formed, where the seedlings will ripen.
When to fertilize and feed
After planting in about 2 weeks, when sprouts seem to be on the surface of the ground, it is necessary to enrich the soil and pour nitrogen fertilizer to stimulate the growth of greenery. If the season at this stage is characterized by high humidity, mineral stimulants should not be made. Nutrients from the autumn feeding will be quite enough.
3 weeks after the first feeding, a new batch of nutritional components is introduced with a lower content of nitrogenous substances, but a larger amount of potassium-phosphorus trace elements. This procedure is required already to form onionsso that it successfully grows and can grow well.
For the formation of onions make nitrogen-potassium phosphate fertilizers
A deficiency of any trace elements is immediately accompanied by certain symptoms:
- nitrogen deficiency is recognized by stunted growth, the pale color of feathers, yellow spots,
- potassium hunger is expressed in the formation of necrosis on the tops of the feather with a gradual advance to the onion,
- lack of phosphorus slows the growth of the plant, large plants appear on the green brown spotscrawling all over the pen
- zinc deficiency is noted by twisted greens either spread on the surface of the soil,
- copper deficiency provokes feather thinning, excretion of the pigment, causing the green to look faded.
It should be noted that these signs do not appear clearly. With a nutritional deficiency an integrated approach is required, because the depleted land lacks many micro and macro elements.
Sometimes when planting an unfamiliar area it is difficult to determine the degree of nutritional value. In such cases, it is worthwhile to focus on the behavior of the plant during the growing season and introduce complementary foods, taking into account the symptoms.
What means to feed in the spring
The fertilizer use schedule is made taking into account the purpose of growing onion crops. The easiest way is to get greens. To form a complete turnip, an integrated approach is used.
In early spring (March) you should dig up the selected area. If the soil on it is dense, it is recommended to enter into it sand and peat. This will make the structure easier and increase the looseness.
In the absence of autumn preparation, the dug up land is enriched with a mixture, which consists of:
- humus (5-6 kg per 1 m2),
- urea (20-25 g),
- superphosphate (30 g),
- potassium salt (15-20 g).
Complex processing supplements nutrient deficiencies on depleted areas and facilitates the care of the onion turnip.
For fertilizing the soil in spring, it is recommended to use:
- wood ash.
After the emergence of shoots above the surface of the soil is recommended to enter nitrogen compound. It is worth delaying treatment in case of heavy precipitation, since nitrogen is water soluble and the benefits of the procedure will be insignificant.
Options for three seasonal fertilizers
- water solution (10 l) and liquid ammonia (3 tbsp. l.) - pour through 2 weeks after disembarking,
- water (10 l), ammonium nitrate (1 tbsp. l.), salt (1 tbsp. l.), potassium permanganate (a couple of crystals) - through 3 weeks after the first feeding,
- water (10 l), superphosphate (2 tbsp. l.) - through 4-5 weeks after the second feeding.
- water (10 l), means “Vegeta” (2 tablespoons l.), urea (1 tablespoons l.) - water for 15 days after disembarking,
- water (10 l), means "Agricola 2" (1 tbsp. l.),
- water (10 l), means “Effects-O” (2 tbsp. l.).
- soak bread crumb (500 gr.) with water (10 l), add fresh cut grass (500 gr.) and fresh yeast (5 small packs), inject after 2 days sludge,
- water (10 l), nitrophoska (2 tbsp. l.),
- wood ash (250 gr.) pour boiling water (10 l) and insist 2-3 days.
How to fertilize onions in the summer
If the crop is planted on fertile soil, properly treated in the fall, then spring nitrogen fertilizers feeding is not necessary.
For the summer period (end of June - first half of July) third stage of feeding. The composition used should be rich in potassium, phosphorus, copper and other beneficial substances. Enrichment with valuable microelements has a positive effect on the formation of turnips so that it can grow well.
Gardeners often use mixed fertilizers, they increase the efficiency of processing. It is necessary to introduce the working solution in the evening hours, preferably after precipitation or irrigation.
Working with nutrient solutions, it is necessary to carefully introduce them into the soil. Feather penetration provokes their yellowing.
Top dressing in the fall
Planning the landing zone for the new season is carried out in the autumn. The first step is to hold events soil disinfection. A day before the introduction of food produce watering a special solution: water (10 l) with copper sulphate (15 g.). This amount is enough for spraying 5 m2.
Soil is disinfected with a solution of copper sulphate and water
The most basic feeding for onions is performed at the stage of preparing the plot for the beds - in the fall. For a start, the ground is dug up and cleared of weeds and old roots. For digging, humus or compost billets are injected (4-6 kg are used per m2).
For sowing onion sevka The soil is enriched with dolomite flour (up to 150 grams per 1 m2), with chalk or with a special substrate that neutralizes the acidic environment. Wood ash and lime are also used for this purpose. Do not use yeast dressings.
On depleted soils, it is recommended to use potassium-phosphorus mixtures along with organic matter. They quickly restore the balance of nutrients. If cultivation of red and sweet varieties is planned, then preference should be given to potash composition.
- fertika (granular complex with reduced nitrogen content),
- humic "Onion, garlic",
- potassium sulfate.
Some varieties of onions are planted in the winter. To enrich the soil with valuable trace elements 2-4 weeks before landing. The fertilized soil needs to stand a little, so that the active components have time to connect with the soil environment.
Do not apply for autumn treatments the following fertilizers:
Growing bulbous crops with regular lures, you can take a good harvest and get quite high-quality root crops with excellent taste and long shelf life.
What does a bow need for growth?
Despite its simplicity, the bow still needs to comply with certain rules of care. For the growth of bulbheads a certain complex of minerals is needed, especially potassium, phosphorus and nitrogen, and the need for specific trace elements varies depending on the stages of cultivation of the culture:
- nitrogen is more needed at the beginning of the growing season. In the later stages, nitrogen fertilizers are not used for onion: its excessive amount prevents the bulbs from ripening and reduces the quality of their storage,
- potassium, on the contrary, helps the heads in the second stage of the growing season of the onion to form and condense, therefore they try to feed them bulbous crops in the final stages of cultivation,
- Phosphorus culture is needed throughout its development - from planting to final maturation.
It is necessary to feed onions several times a season. Fertilizers of both organic and mineral origin are suitable for this purpose.
Terms of dressings
In general, for the season the vegetable needs 3-4 feedings:
- The first is carried out before sowing during careful digging and loosening the bed, adding humus or compost. If the soil is too depleted, it is mineralized with a special complex fertilizer. Thus, the onion sets immediately fall into the ground fertilized with mineral and organic matter.
- Two weeks later, that is, after the appearance of onion shoots, nitrogen and phosphorus feeding is carried out. You can use solutions of urea and ammonium nitrate, but many gardeners prefer to use organic products that contain in addition to the basic trace elements a lot of biologically active substances. This may be infusions of bird droppings, mullein or horse manure. Before feeding necessarily loosen the soil.
- Two or three weeks later, nutrients are introduced that affect the weight gain - the amount of potassium sulfate and superphosphate also determines the future keeping quality of the vegetable. Nitrogen supplements are required in smaller quantities.
- The last nutrient application is carried out after the fourth feather leaves (at the initial stage of bulb formation) - mixtures with phosphorus and potassium.
When growing onions, it is advisable to fill the soil with fertilizers even in the fall, using a combination of well-rotted, dry, decomposed mullein and superphosphate in the pre-winter digging. In this case, when feeding onions in the spring on the head it is no longer added.
How to fertilize onions
Approximately during the removal of the onion harvest of 300 quintals per hectare about 75 kg of potassium, 48 kg of lime, 39 kg of phosphoric acid and 81 kg of nitrogen are spent for its cultivation. The percentage of the consumption of culture trace elements from the soil is:
Thus, onions are fed with mineral, organic or mixed compounds. When feeding onions on the head more important potash and phosphate fertilizers, accelerating the ripening of the bulbs. When growing green feather mass more need for nitrogen.
There are many types of fertilizers:
- mineral - the above trace elements individually or in ready-mix,
- organic - bird droppings and manure, as well as compost and fertilizers from grass, humus and biohumus, peat,
- bacterial soil-containing microorganisms that are beneficial for plants, improving their nutrition,
- growth stimulants (supplements) - in particular, the popular means of Effecton, consisting of composted peat mass, slate ash. It is not only universal, but also more effective than conventional manure, plus it does not litter the soil with weed seeds.
How to fertilize the crop, what specifically feed the onions in the spring after planting - depends on the soil condition, the methods of agricultural technology used and the purpose of cultivation. On an industrial scale, it is difficult to fertilize a vegetable only with organic matter. Even in the conditions of its cultivation on personal plots it is advisable to use different types of dressings in the complex.
The composition of organic fertilizers include components of plant and animal origin. Decomposing, they form a variety of minerals: potassium, nitrogen, phosphorus, nitrogen, iron, magnesium, calcium and others. In addition to plant nutrition, they enrich the soil, improve its structure.
For feeding onions with organic fertilizers, manure or chicken manure is used, infusions on mixtures of herbs. Manure is usually made with digging the soil in autumn. In this case, fresh can be made, provided that the onion is planted in the spring. When podzimnoy planting under the culture is made only well-rotted, already decomposed mullein, horse manure or chicken droppings.
Aqueous solutions of these substances can be pampered onions once or twice per season:
- for the infusion of mullein 0.5 kg of diluted in 6 liters of water,
- for feeding chicken droppings, first 0.75 kg of the substance is dissolved in 5 liters of water and left to ferment for several days, after which it is still diluted with water at least twice and watering the plantings, ensuring that the mixture does not fall on the leaves (fraught with burns).
All onion beds fertilized with the infusion of the litter are watered abundantly. This reduces the concentration of fertilizer and additionally washes it from the leaves.
Herbal infusions in good soil condition can be used as a second feeding. In particular, the comfrey plant is known for its high content of potassium and phosphorus; therefore, feeding onion with its infusion helps to solve the problem of potassium deficiency of the culture. 1 kg of freshly chopped grass is poured with a bucket of water and infused for a week. After that, a liter of infusion is diluted in the same amount of water.
Their many gardeners prefer for ease of use. You can buy ready-made mixtures of substances necessary for onions at different stages of its growth.
However, mineral mixtures do not affect the fertility of the soil itself, and some of them (in particular, the use of superphosphate) acidify the soil and may be useless without liming.
As an option, feeding onions with mineral fertilizers can serve as the following schedule:
- after the appearance of the first shoots - 15 g of ammonium nitrate, 20 g of superphosphate and two times less potassium chloride for half a bucket of water (5 l),
- a month after landing - the same as the first,
- the last top dressing is without nitrogen: 20 g of superphosphate and half as much potassium chloride per 5 liters of water.
The following example of a mixed, or complex, top dressing may have a different number of ingredients, it contains primarily their general proportions:
- as a top dressing after germination - 1 cup of slurry solution (you can take bird droppings or mullein, diluting them with water in a ratio of 1: 6) and 0.5 tablespoons of table urea per 5 liters of water,
- for the next feed (in half a month) - 1 tablespoon nitrophoska per 5 liters of water,
- the third fertilizer for onions in the fourth-leaf phase is 10 g of superphosphate and half of this amount of potassium salt per 5 liters of water.
When growing on greens of onions in open ground, fertilizing is carried out no more than twice with an interval of half a month. For the first, 2-3 days after the emergence of shoots, a one-component nitrogen supplement will do, and for the second, any ready-made complex formulation.
The practice of amateur gardeners has gained experience in the use of many other alternative options in the form of feedings for onions. Top dressing with ashes allows the vegetable to get the maximum of nutritional components. 1 tablespoon ash insist in 1 liter of water and water the plants. In extreme cases, they scatter it around the plantations and then water the beds. This option is good for feeding onions both on a turnip and on greens. It is recommended to alternate with the use of infusion of mullein, the dilution proportions of which are given above. This is a strong feeding, and they can be carried out with large intervals of time.
It is common to use yeast as an ingredient in top dressing: 250 g of breadcrumbs, the same amount of fresh green chopped grass, and a similar amount of fresh yeast is diluted in 5 liters of warm water. Mixture insist 2 days and water the plants under the root. She is grateful for the newly planted onion sets, which have started growing, and have begun to form a “turnip” head.
The nuance of the yeast dressings: they only work when they are introduced into the heated and moist soil, so they are applicable in the summer, late spring or early fall.
Feeding onions for greens
The soil for onions grown on the feather can be fertilized before planting, and during the period of active growth. Green mass responds better to the use of organic fertilizers. On an industrial scale, this is problematic, but when grown in the garden, feeding onions for greens, if he needs it, is desirable in this form. This may be the use of mullein solution (bird droppings), conducted a maximum of two times in the interval of two weeks. You can replace the above means Effecton.
If the onion feathers turn yellow, which may indicate a lack of nitrogen, 1.5 tablespoons of ammonia is diluted in 5 liters of water and watered with the resulting solution of the plant in the garden under the root in the evening.
How and how to feed the onions depends on the specific growing conditions - soil, plot, seed material. Vegetable of any kind, whether on heads or on greens, responds gratefully to top dressing, but you need to apply them on time and in exact dosage. Then the harvest will be not only full-weighted, but also healthy.
The plant is very demanding on the soil. It must be planted in loose non-acid fertile land. If you have a heavy soil in the garden, it is necessary to ease it with the help of sand and peat. Желательно уже осенью подготовить почву, в частности, удобрить органикой. Грядки для лука надо делать высокими. И не стоит забывать про освещение. Он любит солнце. Кроме того, данный овощ отлично растет при низких температурах.So, in the spring, already at 5 ° C, the onion turnip, planted in the fall, begins to grow, and in the fall it withstands frosts to -3 ° C. Consequently, it must be planted in the deep autumn so that it does not have time to germinate before winter.
The plant has the ability to suck all the nutrients from the soil. Therefore, it should be fed in the process of all growth. If the fall did not have time to prepare the ground for planting, then in the spring it is necessary to dig a bed with the addition of humus and peat. In no case can not contribute fresh organic. The fact is that it retains water in the soil, thereby contributing to the rotting of the underground parts of the onion.
Experts recommend to feed both winter and spring onions 3 times during the entire growth of the bulb. Depending on landing time, the points of application are different.
What kind of fertilizer will do
There are nuances in the question of how to feed the onions in spring. Depending on the growth stage, this vegetable requires various minerals.
At the initial stage, greens are formed. With a shortage of nitrogen in the soil, it begins to turn yellow. Therefore, when you first feed you need to make fertilizers with a high nitrogen content. Organic infusions are excellent remedies:
- Infusion of cow dung. For its preparation, manure is diluted with water in a ratio of 1:10 and insist in a warm place for a week. Then the resulting slush is again diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 5. The infusion is ready.
- Infusion of horse manure. 1 l. manure is mixed with 20 liters. water, let it brew for a week in a warm place. Then re-diluted with water (per 1 l. Of the resulting solution, take 10 l. Of water).
- Fertilizer for onions from bird droppings. The principle of preparation of infusion is the same as in the above recipes. Only for the initial dilution take 25 liters. water and insist a longer time (about two weeks).
If reluctance to contact with the preparation of organic fertilizers, you can resort to the following recipe: 10 l. water dissolve 5 gr. potassium sulfate, 15 gr. superphosphate and 10 gr. urea. Fertilizers can also be applied.e on the basis of ammonia. On a bucket of water I take 3 tbsp. alcohol. This fertilizer is applied at the root. It is not only an excellent source of nitrogen, but also scares onion flies.
Before fertilizing onions, pay attention to the greens. If it has a bright green color, this indicates a sufficient amount of nitrogen in the soil. Consequently, there is no need for nitrogen fertilizers. On the contrary, an excess of nitrogen in the soil leads to the accumulation of nitrates in the bulb.
Many summer residents apply folk remedy from yeast. Yeast fungi have the ability to kill the pathogenic soil microflora, thereby improving its structure. Yeast is an excellent source of nitrogen and oxygen. Onion feeding with yeast: in 10 l. warm water dissolve 100 gr. yeast, 50 gr. sugar and 200 ml. ash. Let it brew for 2 hours. This feeding is applied only once a year. (late May - early June).
The second feeding is designed for the formation of turnips. At this stage, the essential minerals are potassium and phosphorus. During this period, phosphorus and potash fertilizers should be used for onions. Standard recipe: take 30 gr. nitrophosphate 10 liters. water. Water this solution aisle.
For winter turnip onions you can make a herbal brew. To do this, the grass and weeds are crushed and soaked in water for several days. Then dilute the resulting infusion to a light brown color and pour it between the rows.
A third onion feeding is required for the formation of large and dense onions. If the soil is fertile enough, then this feeding is not required. Otherwise, you must enter the potassium-phosphorus mixture. For example: take 30 grams. superphosphate 10 l. water.
Wood ash is an excellent source of potassium. It can be sprayed over the bed before the rain, and you can prepare a solution. To do this, 250 g of ash poured 10 liters. boiling water and defend about 4 days. Then it is diluted with water 50: at 50 and watered between the rows.
Onion feeding tips
Above was considered than spring feed onions. A vegetable planted for winter requires the same minerals as those planted in spring. It is worth saying a few words about how to fertilize onions:
- In no case should fertilizer be watered on the greens and the bulb itself. Fertilizers are applied at the root or between the rows. If you accidentally hit the greens, you should pour clean water from a hose.
- Feeding onions in the spring on the head should be done in calm and cloudy weather.
- If rain is predicted, then mineral fertilizers can be dry-scattered between the rows.
- It is necessary to strictly observe the proportions specified by the manufacturer when preparing the solution. An excess of this or that mineral can cause bulb diseases.
- If the soil in the beds is dry, then it is necessary to moisten it a little before applying mineral fertilizers.
- Fresh organics are perfect for autumn feeding, but not for spring. Undiluted fresh manure can cause illness and slow the growth of bulbs. In addition, compulsory companions of manure are weed seeds.
Onion fertilizer on fertilizer
It was revealed that for growing from 1 hectare 300 centners of onion, the vegetable consumes from the soil:
- 75 kg of potassium,
- 81 kg of nitrogen
- 48 kg of lime,
- 39 kg of phosphoric acid.
- 25-30% phosphorus,
- 45-50% potassium,
- 100% nitrogen.
You also need to know that phosphorus is consumed evenly throughout the maturation period, nitrogen - mainly in the first growing season, and potassium - in the second. The question of how to fertilize onions is decided on the basis of the type of fertilizer, soil conditions, agricultural cultivation, etc.
It has been studied that phosphate and potash fertilizers significantly accelerate the ripening of vegetables, the bulbs become dense and large, and are well stored. At the same time, if fresh manure is applied simultaneously with the entire rate of mineral fertilizers, this will reduce the crop yield. The effectiveness of feeding onions per head also depends on the amount of heat and light.
Feed onions calendar, how many times to fertilize onions on the head
Summer resident should not only find out what fertilizers are needed for onions, but also not be mistaken with the timing of their application. Consider when and how to feed onions after planting:
- For the first time, attention is focused on the formation of lush greenery on the feather (nitrogen fertilizer),
- the second time, the emphasis is shifted slightly to the formation of turnips (potash-phosphate fertilizers),
- for the third time, all attention is focused on the formation and maximum growth of the bulb (mineral fertilizers with a predominance of phosphorus).
When you first feed you need to choose how to feed the onions after germination.
Experts advise two weeks after planting a vegetable diluted in 10 liters of water 40 g of superphosphate, 30 g of saltpeter, 20 g of potassium chloride. This liquid is introduced into the soil under a vegetable.
You can also use the following solution: 2 tbsp. l spoons of the drug "Vegeta" and 1 tbsp. l urea poured into a bucket of water. The mixture is also watered garden bed. One bucket of nutrient solution is spent on 5 square meters. m of soil. The best option organic fertilizer will be a solution of manure. One glass of manure is taken for 10 liters of water.
At the second stage, it is decided how to feed the onions so that it is large.
This feeding is carried out 30 days after planting the crop and 15-16 days after the first application of fertilizers. This time, 60 grams of superphosphate, 30 grams of sodium chloride, and 30 grams of saltpeter are added to 10 liters of water. This mixture can be replaced with the solution of the drug "Agricol-2". In a bucket of water pour 1 cup of the substance. On 2 square. a meter of land 10 liters of nutrient will be enough. For feeding onions in the spring on the head and use organic matter. The best option would be cooking herbal slurry. For this, any weeds are placed for three days in water and under a press. A glass of such liquid is enough for a bucket of water.
Onion feeding in spring is completed when the bulb grows up to 4 cm in diameter. For every 5 square meters. m of soil should be added 30 g of potassium chloride, 60 g of superphosphate dissolved in a bucket of water.
This solution can be replaced with Effekton-O and superphosphate. In 10 liters of water add 1 tbsp. l superphosphate and 2 tbsp. l substances. Feeding onions with ash will saturate the culture with the necessary organic substances. To do this, 250 g of ash is poured with boiling water (10 l) and allowed to infuse for 3-4 days.
How to get a rich harvest of onions, organic dressing
Often gardeners wonder if onions like manure and other organic fertilizers (compost, chicken dung, etc.)?
Organic compounds improve the soil structure under the bow, enrich it with nutrients. As a result, the earth is better saturated with oxygen and air. In addition, the introduction of organic matter contributes to a better absorption of the culture of mineral compounds. However, when they are made according to the scheme described above you need to consider that:
- it is not recommended to apply fresh, undiluted manure, as this can provoke onion diseases and slow down the formation of heads,
- together with low-quality organic matter, weed seeds can get into the garden, which will have to be disposed of later,
- When applying too large a dose of organic fertilizer, all the forces of the plant will be directed to the growth of abundant greenery, so the bulbs may not mature.
Onion fertilization rules with mineral compounds
When using mineral fertilizers for feeding onions should be remembered:
- it is strictly forbidden to dilute liquid fertilizers in the dishes used for human or animal consumption of food,
- do not increase the maximum dose recommended by the manufacturer,
- if the mineral composition is on the green feathers of the onions, they must be rinsed with water from a hose,
- Before making a liquid with a mineral composition, it is desirable to slightly moisten the soil under the plants,
- if one of the main elements (phosphorus, nitrogen, potassium) is lacking, fertilizers need to be applied along with it, otherwise the other components simply will not work,
- for sandy soils, the amount of dressings should be increased, but the concentration of the solution should be reduced. If clay prevails in the earth, it is advisable to slightly increase the dose,
- with simultaneous application of mineral and organic fertilizers, the amount of the first must be reduced by 1/3.
How to feed onions mixed fertilizers
Onion fertilizer may contain both mineral and organic substances at planting. In this case, feeding is carried out as follows:
- the first is to add water (10 liters) with the addition of urea (1 tbsp.) and slurry (250 ml),
- the second is preparing a mixture of 2 tbsp. l Nitrofoski and 10 liters of water
- the third one involves adding an aqueous solution to the soil: add 1 g of potassium salt to 1 bucket and 20 g of superphosphate.
Features onion feeding
Before feeding onions on the head, it is necessary to take into account weather conditions and time of day. The best option would be dressing in cloudy and windless weather, in the evening. But if it rains, mineral fertilizers in a dry form are scattered at a distance of 8-10 cm from the onion row, close up to a depth of 5-10 cm.
Before the start of the season, every gardener should think about how to fertilize onions. A good harvest will be able to provide onion feeding with ready-made preparations and folk remedies.
Why feed onions?
Onions can grow without any dressings. He is unpretentious, even the soil for him plays a small role. But what crop can be obtained without applying dressings? As a rule, small, not distinguished by high quality. Even painstaking care will not help - plants need nutrients to grow, if they are not in the ground, then they will not go into growth. The heads of such onions are usually small, feathers are weak, thin, not fleshy, they can have an unleavened taste.
Timely fertilization ensures a good harvest.
Another thing is the harvest obtained with the timely application of fertilizers. It will be not only plentiful, but also useful. A turnip of such a culture is usually a massive, solid, green, ground part that develops quickly, allowing gardeners to cut and use it repeatedly, enjoying the pleasant, rich, fresh taste of the leaves.
What supplements are used for onion growth?
The ground part of the onion is not inferior in its benefit to the underground, but is not stored for long, therefore it is always used fresh. In order for feathers to grow well and develop quickly, it is necessary to provide them with abundant watering and application of fertilizing with folk remedies. Below are recipes that encourage the growth of culture feathers.
- 3 tablespoons of ammonia is diluted with 10 liters of water. This mixture needs to be watered every evening when the leaves start to turn yellow at the wrong time, which is a sign of a lack of nitrogen. When the color re-acquires a bright green color, watering this mixture can be stopped.
What feedings are used for onion growth
What means apply on a turnip?
For a large turnip of onions, you need to give the plant an abundance of useful substances that, however, will not be able to provoke diseases (such as, for example, fresh manure). Feeding onions with folk remedies can significantly simplify the care of the plant, reduce pain, increase the yield and size of the future turnip.
- In the fall, when the land is fertilized for the winter, a manure solution is applied to the place where the crop will be planted (1 part to 6 parts of water). It is important to note that fresh manure is suitable only on the condition that the onion is planted in spring and not in autumn. If planting is carried out in the fall, use rotted manure.
Folk remedies used on the turnip
Only the correct use of folk remedies can provide a gardener a good harvest, so you should stick to the following tips.
- To feed the effect, it should be carried out after watering or rain.
- To feed a plant from an unnatural green color is only when it is grown for it. The fact is that yellowing of leaves is a normal process during the last stage of head ripening. The plant, in fact, should generally fall before collecting the crop, but this period usually falls in the fall, if the green has turned yellow before - onion feeding with folk remedies is needed.
- Yeast dressings work only when they are introduced into moist, heated soil (late spring, summer or early autumn), otherwise there will be no result.
- It is not necessary to make fresh manure for onions, this can lead to the development of a culture disease and slow down the formation of the head.
- Substandard organic matter (mullein, humus, compost, etc.) can lead to weed seeds on a bed.
- If you add too much organic fertilizer under the onions, it will put all its power on the growth of green leafy leaves, and not heads - this is important to consider when dosing.
- When watering plants with manure or chicken droppings, you need to make sure that the slurry does not get on the green leaflets.
What batteries are needed for good development of the bulbs?
For the intensive development of onion plants need nitrogen. It is contained in the following fertilizers: bird droppings, manure, ammonium nitrate, urea, and others. If there is a shortage of nitrogen, onions noticeably lag behind in growth, which in turn is negatively reflected in the yield. It is worth remembering that for the normal development of the bulb requires: phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and other nutrients. To provide plants with phosphorus, it is fed with superphosphate. Potassium helps the plant to be more resistant to air and soil drought, as well as temperature fluctuations. In addition, onions that are not deficient in potassium are well preserved.
How many times do I need to feed the onions?
You need to feed the onions at all stages of its development. Indeed, at each stage requires different nutrients. Therefore, fertilizers are selected taking into account the physiological characteristics of plant development.
When spring onions are grown, a couple of weeks after planting, they begin to feed. During this period, the plants most need nitrogen. Lack of nitrogen greatly affects the growth and development of bulbs, which ultimately will be reflected in low yields.
How to improve the yield?
We are constantly being written letters in which gardeners' lovers worry that because of the cold summer this year there is a poor harvest of potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, and other vegetables. Last year, we published TIPS, on this issue. But unfortunately many did not listen, but some still applied. Here is a report from our readers, we want to advise plant growth biostimulants, which will help increase the yield up to 50-70%.
We advise PLEASANT to prepare for the summer season, pay attention to this biological product. A lot of positive feedback.
After a month, you need to make a second feeding. Nitrogen is still needed by young plants, but not in the same amount as before. Now potassium and phosphorus are added to nitrogen.
When the head begins to form, the onions are fed a third time. During this period, the plants also need: potassium and phosphorus.
With the first two feedings, it is important to control the nitrogen content. When it is abundant, the feather will grow rapidly, and the bulb suspends its growth, which has a very negative impact on the harvest.
The second and third feeding are directed to the growth and filling of the bulbs. Кроме того, благодаря применению калийных удобрений, лук хорошо хранится на протяжении зимы.
Подкормка лука при выращивании его на зелень
Часто репчатый лук выращивают для получения сочной зелени. Молодые перья очень полезны и содержат массу витаминов и микроэлементов. Ранней весной они является ценным поставщиком витамина С. Лук на перо лучше выращивать на отдельной грядке от лука на репку. After all, when cutting green leaves, the bulb begins to grow more slowly, which is not very desirable when growing it on a turnip.
The bed for the onion feather should be well fertilized with nitrogen fertilizers. With a lack of nitrogen onion leaves grow slowly and have a light green color, and soon completely turn yellow and die. The first feeding is made when the first leaves appear.
Urea or ammonium nitrate is used as a top dressing in a dose of 300 grams per 10 square meters. After 1-2 weeks, carry out another feeding at the rate of 300 grams of superphosphate and 100 grams of potassium chloride per 100 liters of water. Onions are a very unpretentious crop, but they react to fertilization by a sharp increase in yield and a good presentation.
How to feed a winter onion?
The winter method of growing onions allows you to get commercial bulbs more than a month earlier than usual.
From autumn, a month before the frost, onion sets are planted to a depth of 5-8 cm with a row spacing of 15-20 cm. When planting, ammonium nitrate is applied at the rate of 300 grams per 10 square meters of bed. Then the bed is mulched and covered with fallen leaves or compost to protect it from freezing in winter.
In the spring the leaves are removed and spend the first feeding. The question arises: how to feed the onions in spring? Well if this is an aqueous solution of chicken manure. If you prefer mineral fertilizers, then make ammonium nitrate. The second feeding should be carried out after the green leaves appear.
You can use growth stimulants such as Plantafol or any other. This will allow the plants to increase immunity and will give strength to the formation of the crop. During the second and third dressings, attention is paid to the formation of bulbs, therefore fertilizers use not only nitrogen, but also potassium, and phosphorus. Top-dressing of winter onions is not much different from what was planted in the spring, except that all stages are a month earlier.
Pest Control Prevention Measures
One of the important factors of a good harvest is the ability to protect plants from pests and diseases. Protection against pests begins even before the plants are planted. Therefore, after the harvest has been harvested, all plant residues are taken out of the beds and burned.
If the plants have not been infected with diseases, they can be laid in a compost pile. In order that the pests would die in winter, the beds are deeply dug up. It is not recommended to plant onions after onions or garlic, these plants have common pests. In the spring, you can plant carrots or calendula between the onions, they scare away such a pest as an onion fly. In the fight against onion flies and other pests are good and chemical drugs, and folk methods. If they are applied on time, then the harvest of the bulbs will be excellent.
Top dressing by mineral fertilizers
What to feed onions after germination in early spring? What fertilizer is better to use? Consider several different options for dressings.
- In 10 liters of water part one tablespoon of potassium chloride, two tablespoons of superphosphate and one and a half tablespoons of ammonium nitrate.
- In a bucket of water dissolve one and a half tablespoons of potassium chloride and ammonium nitrate and three tablespoons of superphosphate.
- Three tablespoons of superphosphate and one and a half potassium chloride are diluted in 10 liters of water.
- Dissolve 40 ml of “Vegeta” and 20 grams of urea in 10 liters of water.
- The finished drug "Agricol-2" in the amount of one tablespoon per bucket of water.
- In a bucket of water, mix 20 grams of superphosphate and 20 milliliters of the Effekton-O preparation.
- 60 milliliters of ammonia are added to a bucket of water.
- In 10 liters of water dissolve 20 grams of salt and ammonium nitrate, adding a few grains of potassium permanganate.
- Add 40 grams of superphosphate to the bucket of water.
Fertilizing with organic fertilizers
Supporters of organic fertilizers, all industrial fertilizers can be completely replaced by organic, and prepare them yourself.
- Mullein solution. Manure is diluted with water in a ratio of 10 kilograms of manure to 100 liters of water. This solution should stand for at least 7 days, after which it is applied in a ratio of 2 liters of solution to 10 liters of water.
- Horse manure solution. 5 kilograms of horse manure are added to 100 liters of water and allowed to ferment for 10 days, then 1 liter of slurry is used per bucket of water.
- The solution of bird droppings. It is the most concentrated, so 1 kilogram of litter should be diluted in 25 liters of water and allowed to ferment for 15 days. After that apply as well as solution from horse manure.
Interestingly, by applying fresh manure when planting onions, the plant forms a loose bulb that is not suitable for storage.
It is impossible to apply the solutions undiluted, they will burn the root system of plants and bring nothing but harm. The same applies to the fertilizer beds with fresh manure.
How not to harm the plants
When applying fertilizers, it should be remembered that the dressing should be applied to the previously watered garden bed and, after application, it is imperative that you sprinkle the plants with water to remove fertilizer residue from the leaves. Otherwise, fertilizer particles can cause chemical burns to feathers.
Being engaged in the cultivation of this crop it is necessary to observe the norms of fertilizer application during the feeding period. After all, onions accumulate mineral fertilizers very quickly. This is not only negatively displayed on its storage, but also accumulates nitrates. So, you should not get carried away with too frequent feedings. It is enough to feed the onions 3 times during the growing season.
In addition, it is better to “not feed” the plants than to “feed”. After all, nitrates are not the most beneficial to the human body. Therefore it is necessary to apply fertilizer to onions with care.
And a little about the secrets of the author
Have you ever experienced unbearable joint pain? And you know firsthand what it is:
- inability to move easily and comfortably,
- discomfort when going up and down stairs
- an unpleasant crunch, a crack not at will,
- pain during or after exercise,
- inflammation in the joints and swelling,
- unreasonable and sometimes unbearable aching pain in the joints.
And now answer the question: does it suit you? Is it possible to endure such pain? And how much money have you already “leaked” to ineffective treatment? That's right - it's time to stop with this! Do you agree? That is why we decided to publish an exclusive interview with Oleg Gazmanov, in which he revealed the secrets of getting rid of joint pain, arthritis and arthrosis.
What can fertilize onions
Onion turnip demanding on the nutritional value of the soil. In order for the heads to grow large, the soil must contain all the nutrients needed by the vegetable, especially nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. Moreover, this or that macro element is needed by the onion at each stage of development:
- nitrogen - in the first phase of the growing season,
- potassium - for the formation of normal healthy bulbs,
- phosphorus - throughout the growth and development.
You can feed onions in open ground with both mineral and organic fertilizers, as well as combine them. For those and others have their own schemes and dosage. They must always be adhered to, since a lack or an overabundance of minerals in the soil is equally bad for the growth and development of plants.
From natural fertilizers for onions, you can use manure, bird droppings, humus, ash, bone meal. In them, the mineral elements are in an easily accessible and fully digestible form. When introduced into the soil, they improve its structure, make it more breathable, and also contribute to the best absorption of nutrients from inorganic fertilizers by plants.
To fertilize the land on the onion beds can be complex mixtures made from organic components, for example, means Agricola-2, designed specifically for feeding garlic and onions. Other fertilizers will also be suitable: Effekton-O, Gumi, Clean Sheet, Tsitovit, etc.
This substance is used as a kind of nitrogen fertilizer, because it contains ammonia. Sulfur salt works especially well on plants whose leaves have started to turn yellow. Top dressing is prepared in a concentration of 3 tbsp. l 10 liters of cool water. Liquid pour onions under the root, trying not to fall on the delicate green feather, so as not to burn it. The next day, dried up soil loosened. Feeding onion with liquid ammonia can be carried out at intervals of 1 time every 2 weeks.
Ammonia is not only a good fertilizer, but also a means that frightens off the smell of the pests of this vegetable - onion fly and wireworms. To protect the beds, a slightly different solution is prepared: take 2 tbsp of water in a bucket of water. l substances are stirred and the resulting solution spills between the rows. After the soil dries, it is loosened. Onion processing with ammonia is carried out in June-July, which account for the peak of pest breeding.
If aphids bred on plants, you can also rid them of these insects with the help of ammonia. To do this, prepare a solution of 3 tbsp. l alcohol, 50 g shavings of any soap and 10 liters of water, and then spray them with onion beds.
Ordinary yeast can also become a “live” feeding for onions, if its feather begins to lose color. For the preparation using fresh and dry yeast. In the case of fresh yeast, take 10 liters of water, soak 0.5 kg of bread crumb in it, insist a little, then put another 0.5 kg of yeast and fresh grass. Leave to infuse for 2 days, filter and water the vegetables.
If dry powder is used, then it is taken 10 g, dissolved in 10 l of water, 2 more tablespoons are added to it. l Sahara. Insist 2 h, diluted in a ratio of 1 to 5 with warm water and watered onions under the root. Yeast top dressing for onions nourishes it not only with nitrogen, but also with a mass not less than necessary minerals for it, and the soil itself enriches with oxygen and activates in it the vital activity of healthy microflora, and also contributes to the speedy decomposition of organic substances.
Autumn soil preparation
Loose, airy and nutritious land is the key to getting an excellent harvest, so its preparation is carried out even in the fall. To do this, when digging the beds in the fall, for every 1 m 2 of their area they make 5 kg of fresh manure or peat, humus 10 kg mixed with 10 kg of river sand. Of the common mineral fertilizers used urea and superphosphate. They are made when digging 20-30 g for each 1 m 2 plantings of vegetables.
Feeding onions on a turnip at various stages of development
In early spring, when it is warm, the soil is also fertilized before planting onions, for which ammophos or ammonium nitrate in a volume of 10 g for loams and 20 g for sandy loams are applied to each m 2 of onion beds.
The very first feeding of onions on a turnip takes place in early spring, approximately when the green feather of young plants grows by about 3-4 cm. They are watered strictly under the root with Vegeta fertilizer or with a solution of 3 fertilizers:
- 20 g of potassium chloride,
- 30 g ammonium nitrate,
- 40 g of superphosphate.
For the first top dressing in spring onion plantations also use slurry, which is prepared from 1 cup of fresh manure and 1 bucket of water. The same slurry, but only infused, can become a nitrogenous feed for onion seedlings. For its preparation take 1 liter of manure or bird droppings, pour 5 liters of heated water, and then leave for 2 weeks to ferment the organic matter. After that, the resulting liquid is again diluted with clean water: manure in the ratio of 1 to 10, poultry droppings - 1 to 20.
The same means can be fed in the spring onions, planted before the winter. Substances that are in them, will allow young plants to begin active growth, to increase the lush and strong green feather, to prepare for the formation of the heads.
The following feeding is carried out approximately 1 month after the first. For her use on 1 m 2:
- a ready-made mixture of Agricola-2 (in accordance with the instructions),
- an aqueous solution of 15 g of nitrate and potassium chloride, as well as 30 g of superphosphate,
- light brown infusion of weeds.
Or simply spread the dry fertilizer evenly over the beds in front of the emerging rain or pour warm water on the ground.
For the third time, the vegetable beds fertilize with phosphorus-potassium supplements containing a large percentage of P and K. At this time they feed the onions so that it is large. Begin watering with fertilizer solutions when its bulbs reach a size of about 4-5 cm. A mixture of potassium chloride and superphosphate is used, which are taken in 60 and 30 g, respectively, diluted in 1 bucket of water. This number is calculated on 5 m 2 beds.
To stimulate the formation of heads, the Effekton-O agent is used together with superphosphate (take these agents 2 tbsp and 1 tbsp per 10 l). Of organic fertilizers at this time it may be useful ash, which is sprinkled with soil or sprinkled with it infused for 3-4 days and diluted with water in a ratio of 1 to 1 ash solution (take 0.25 g of ash per 10 liters of water).
Basic rules for feeding
To ensure that the variety is guaranteed to give that crop, which it is capable of, fertilizer should be applied when planting onions correctly. This garden crop, though unpretentious enough, is still sensitive to the mineral content in the soil. If there are few of them, the harvest will also be insignificant. If there is a surplus of any elements in the soil, the quality and quantity of products will also suffer.
With the timely application of fertilizers after planting and during the growing season, they respond to fertilizing quickly, which becomes noticeable after a short time. Greens are made lush and brighter, and the heads are formed beautiful, dense, juicy, healthy.
But you shouldn't get involved in fertilizers either - excess minerals accumulate in the heads, which reduces their ability to store. To avoid such problems, it is enough to feed the vegetables 3 times per season with ready-made mixtures or with their own prepared organic matter.
As for organic matter, you need to remember that it can not be applied undiluted, especially bird droppings - it contains ammonia, which leaves burns on the leaves of plants. If liquid gets onto the pen, rinse it off immediately with water. When applying dry fertilizer directly on the ground beds should be poured abundantly.
There is also a pattern for different types of soil - the number of top dressings should be higher on sandy ones, but the concentration of solutions is lower than on clay ones. Also on clay and loam the dose of minerals should be reduced, and organics should be increased.