No garden can do without a lawn. The lawn is a great place for outdoor activities or a picnic. Smooth green surface is an ideal background for any landscape composition.
Growing a lawn is a very difficult and troublesome event. How to sow the lawn correctly so that in the future it brings us only positive emotions?
The stages of the device lawn
The device of a sowing lawn consists of several stages, and each of them is unusually important:
- The first thing to do when making a lawn is to inspect your site. If it has weed vegetation, then you need to remove it with the help of herbicides or by hand.
- Re-cultivate the soil, that is, dig it up.
- Bring fertile soil and level it. The thickness of the fertile layer should be 6-10 cm, this is enough for a lawn. On loamy barren soils, you can pour 20 cm of soil. The composition should not include black soil, as it coagulates over time and forms a crust. We use a peat-sand mixture with an admixture of sod land. It is fertile and better suited for lawn. It is necessary to make a minimum slope in the direction of the fence (1 cm per 1 m of the length of the plot) to divert excess water.
- The fourth stage is rolling the ground with a special roller and leveling it up with the help of a rule (board).
- Next, we sow the lawn manually, using the “old-fashioned” method and close the seeds into the soil with the help of a rake, or slightly mulch them with earth. Then it is necessary to water the area well by sprinkling. Seeds of lawn grass, depending on the type of plant can be in the ground from 7 to 20 days. In ryegrass the fastest shoots. The number of seeds - 3-5 kg per one hundred square. Sowing should be done in dry, windless weather.
- 20-30 days after sowing, it is necessary to mow the lawn, the height of the grass stand should be about 15 cm. We do mowing to a height of 5 cm so that the lawn mower does not cut the growing point of the grass.
- After the first lawn mowing, it is necessary to withstand 7-10 days for the grass to grow to a height of about 12 cm. We make the second mowing.
It is better to use a lawnmower and trim the grass near the curb, corners of the house and other hard-to-reach places with a trimmer.
The composition of grass mixture for lawn
The composition of grass mixtures: fescue, ryegrass, bluegrass and fenders. Fescue creates total cover. Ryegrass - the density of the cover, it has the fastest shoots. The bluegrass gives a silky and emerald green color to the lawn. Bass is a grass that forms an undercoat. It is soft and small in height and forms a turf very well. For 1 kg of grass mixture you need to take 50 g of bent grass.
No lawn can withstand deep shading. But in areas where for some time during the day the sun can be sown, a herbal mixture of three varieties of fescue can be sown: meadow, sheep and red in equal proportions. Such a lawn will not be very thick because water stagnates in the shade, moss is formed and the process of photosynthesis slows down.
When to sow lawn grass with your own hands
There is no strictly defined time for planting a lawn. On average, the entire process takes 4 to 6 weeks. The most suitable period is from May to September. Despite this, for each pore has its own rules of landing, which should not be neglected.
Many professionals of country design recommend starting to arrange lawns in the spring. And they bring weighty arguments in their favor:
- Before the onset of cold weather, the grass will have time to root well and grow stronger,
- There is time to eliminate the shortcomings (reseeding, redevelopment),
- In the spring, there is a lot of moisture in the soil, which will contribute to the rapid ascent of seeds,
Before sowing lawn grass in the spring, it is necessary to clear the ground from weeds and treat the soil with herbicides. It is best to start when the snow completely melts and dry, calm weather sets in. It is also worth waiting for weeds to grow, as spraying herbicides on “bare” ground will not work (they act only on the leaf apparatus, therefore it is useless to water the soil to destroy the root system). If you do not take into account this rule, weeds drown out young grass.
Lawn grass how to plant and pick grass mixtures
June is considered to be the most suitable summer month for sowing lawn grass, at this time the soil contains more moisture than the succeeding months. But if you establish an uninterrupted irrigation system, you can sow the seeds in August, moreover, by the middle of summer the activity of insects decreases and the growth of weeds is dulled. If you carry out proper care: in time to fertilize and produce mowing - the grass will have time to get stronger before the onset of frost.
The most favorable period for autumn planting is the first half of September. Since at this time the soil is saturated with moisture (drops out in the form of dew), and the grass will have time to ascend before the cold weather.
Lawn grass: how to plant and pick grass mixtures
The finished grass mixture is selected according to the type of lawn. As a rule, it is indicated on the package: for what kind of lawn the contents are intended, in which place it is necessary to sow the seeds and the type of the recommended soil.
Most manufacturers bring seeds from Western Europe and are already in place engaged in their arrangement and packaging. But not all foreign herbs take root in our conditions. Therefore, before sowing lawn grass, carefully select the desired composition.
For the Moscow region and central Russia a perfect mix of bluegrass and fescue ("Ideal" from Premium line). They form a dense bright green carpet and can be cut short. Dark colors lawn will add the content of bluegrass in the composition. In any case, you should not buy the mixture, where rye grass is 50-60%, because it is subject to freezing and keeps a dense grass stand for 3 to 5 years, after which it completely drops out.
How to plant a lawn: the preparatory stage
First of all, on the site where the lawn is planned, it is necessary to make a marking, remove all weeds and carry out alignment.
- The markings are performed according to the plan of the dacha plot, using pegs or pulling the fishing line. At the same time laid flower beds and paths. It is better to avoid strict lines and rectangular shapes, then lawns and flowering meadows will look more natural.
- Treating the area from the weeds, before sowing lawn grass, Roundup or Argument (herbicides of general action). Usually weeds are destroyed 14-20 days after treatment. Particularly overgrown areas are sprayed several times at intervals of two weeks.
- After the weeds have dried, their remains are scraped off and the soil is leveled. If there is a need, you can cover the area with geotextiles, it will prevent the germination of the seeds of the remaining weeds.
How to plant lawn grass, fertilize and prepare the soil
In order for the seeds to quickly and evenly grow, it is necessary to create appropriate conditions for their growth.
- It is necessary to establish the soil composition, its structure and moisture content. If it is alkaline, peat is added, sour is chalk or lime, dense and heavy is manure or biohumus.
- In parallel, mineral fertilizers are applied: macronutrients (NPK 6-22-28, NPK 21-6-17) are evenly scattered over the surface, and trace elements are diluted in water with the calculation: ammonium nitrate and superphosphate 40 g per square meter, potassium sulfate 30 g per sq.m. In the spring, they focus on nitrogen supplements, and in the fall - on potash and phosphate.
- After the fertilizer, the ground is leveled with a rake, and then compacted with a garden roller weighing 50-100 kg or with a round metal tube. If after this there are still irregularities, they are aligned and rolled again.
- Rolled area is left alone for 10-12 days (so that the ground is up). If during this period weeds sprout on the plot with compost or humus, the top ground ball is gently loosened with a rake.
How to sow lawn grass with your own hands
Seed consumption, as a rule, is indicated on the back of the package, but you should not strictly adhere to the proportions, otherwise bare places may form and you will have to replant the grass.
- To evenly distribute the grass mixture, visually divide the area into zones, and then roughly divide the contents of the bag between them.
- If the soil is dry, moisten it with a watering can, let the water soak.
- For sowing, use seval. If it is not in the household, you can resort to the manual method. To do this, stir the seeds with fine dry sand in a 1: 1 ratio. Then, following the advice of professionals who know how to sow lawn grass correctly, it is necessary to scatter the mixture first along the site, and then across. Moreover, the edges should be planted twice as thick as the middle.
- After the end of the landing, rake the seeds lightly with earth and then compact the future lawn with a roller.
- At the end, moderately pour the sown area of the watering can or hose with a spray.
Before planting lawn grass on the site, you should know how to properly care for sprouted seeds, until they finally get stronger.
- The first shoots appear in a few weeks, and the bulk - in a month.
- In dry weather, watering is carried out daily, to a depth of 5-7 centimeters.
- When the green cover reaches a height of 8-10 cm, proceed to the first mowing. Remove only the tops of the grass 1.5 - 2 cm.
- After the grass begins to creep tightly, the mowing starts to be carried out more often (once in 5-7 days), this allows you to form a strong root system of the plant.
Well-groomed green lawns - the decoration of any suburban area. There is nothing difficult in how to plant a lawn with your own hands, if you follow the recommendations. Thanks to our advice, you can easily cope with the task.
Some rules and recommendations for site preparation for lawn sowing, and also to preparation for laying of a rolled type of a lawn.
First of all, absolutely all rubbish should be removed from the site, tree roots and stumps should be removed, as well as all root systems of shrubs. The remains of trees and bushes left in the soil can provoke the appearance of toadstools on a grassy plot.
It is necessary to remove the top sod layer of soil with the help of an ordinary shovel or a special machine. The method with a shovel will require skill and physical strength from the gardener. It is not as easy as it may seem at first glance. Cutting the turf layer is faster and less energy consuming. And in this way you can prepare the ground better.
If there are a lot of weeds at the site, then it is necessary to apply herbicides, for example, Roundup. After using the drug should be completely removed dead plants. It should be borne in mind that plants such as dandelion or clover have a developed root system and even with manual weeding, the remaining part of the rhizome will eventually grow and sooner or later it will rise.
This is an important stage on the way to a successful lawn planting.The plot must be flat as much as possible. English lawn landing specialists even use the construction level when leveling the ground. This is justified because it is the only way to end up with an ideal lawn surface.
It is necessary to deal with the layout of the relief only in dry and clear weather. At the same time, the slope can be not cleaned; its presence will even help to drain off excess water on rainy days. But such a slope should have a perfectly flat relief.
The pits and irregularities on the ground can be aligned in two ways:
- remove the layer of soil from the hummocks and move it to the depressions and pits,
- fill lowlands with fertile soil taken from other sites.
If there is no fertile soil, then it may well be replaced by purchased soil or peat soil. If the soil in the area is clay and heavy, then in order to make it more permeable to water and air, you need to mix it with river sand.
Ideal soil parameters for growing lawn grass, per 100 grams of soil:
- acidity 5.5-6.5 pH,
- humus - 2.5 - 3.5%,
- nitrogen and nitrogen compounds - 10 milligrams,
- phosphorus - 15−25 milligrams,
- potassium: 20-30 milligrams
- copper and zinc.
If necessary, the soil must be present drainage layer. This is an optional step, but necessary in some cases.
Any instruction on planting a lawn says that you need to properly arrange the drainage. If the place of sowing is not flooded and not prone to spring floods, then in such a case the usual digging and fertilizer will suffice. In other cases, it is necessary to create a drainage system. This process must be combined with ground leveling.
If the soil on the site is often flooded with water or it stands on it, then in this case it is simply impossible to do without drainage.
When leveling the terrain of the site you need lay a removed layer of soil over the drainagelaid out in two layers. The bottom layer consists of coarse gravel, and the top one is made of sand or fine rubble. So, on the site of landing a green carpet will appear a three-layer basis. It looks like this:
- the upper 15−20 centimeters layer is fertile soil,
- below is 15 centimeters of sand or rubble,
- further 15 centimeters of gravel.
Moreover, each layer must be carefully tamped.
The type of drainage depends on the size of the site, the location of groundwater and other factors that need to be discussed separately.
There are cases when the lawn is located near the basement, then you need to lay French drainage, which can be done with your own hands. This is especially true in small areas.
Ground treatment and final cleaning
In a small area you can handle the soil with a shovel or fork. Dig the ground to 20 centimeters in depth. If the humus layer is thin, then the depth may be less. Before this, it is necessary to feed the soil with organic fertilizers and add river sand to it. Lawn grass does not like exhausted soil and simply will not grow on it.
Lumps of land need to be broken, otherwise the soil will settle unevenly and this will not allow the terrain to be properly leveled. You can break up lumps with a rake, shovel or pitchfork. During this, it is necessary to simultaneously clean the earth from stones, debris, weeds, as well as remnants of rhizomes of plants.
If the area for planting a large, it is best to use a motor cultivator.
If sowing is planned in spring time, it is recommended to prepare a site in the fall. Then the earth lumps can be left until the sowing period. This will improve drainage. It is necessary to level and break up lumps before direct landing.
Before embarking on the tamper, and this is the next stage of site preparation, you need to drive the stakes around the perimeter and pull the rope on them. Next you need to perfectly adjust the level of the rope, a straight line which should be 180 °. For accuracy, you can use the construction level.
Soil rammer - This is a very important stage in the preparation of the site. With the help of it, possible voids are removed from the thickness of the soil and thereby the unevenness of the green carpet relief is prevented.
You can tamp the soil with both feet and a special roller. As a skating rink any perfectly rounded object is perfect, whose radius will be at least twenty centimeters. For example, it may be a large-diameter metal pipe.
You need to ram the ground only in dry and clear weather. After tamping the soil with your feet, you need to remove the traces of shoes with a rake.
Need during the whole process control level, and if it seems that somewhere there is an irregularity, then you need to immediately fix it. To do this, you can fill the soil layer or clean it.
Steaming a plot
Many ignore this stage and miss it, because it takes a lot of physical effort and time to do it. But it has a number of advantages.
Exposure under steam removes the soil from the roots and seeds of weeds. This stage is obligatory for planting a lawn, parlaying can be avoided when laying a roll.
Steam the site need for two months.. The method consists in the constant removal of weeds and treatment with drugs - herbicides.
Currently, planting green manure is used instead of digging. They are sown on the site six weeks before planting the lawn, and before planting the area with the plants plowed. It has been proven that it has beneficial effects on the soil and enriches it.
A week before the intended sowing need scatter mineral fertilizers over the area and close them up with a rake to a depth of five centimeters.
When loosening the soil, earth lumps should be no more than the size of a grain of wheat.
Before planting grass, you need to choose the most auspicious day in terms of weather. It should be clear and dry. The topsoil should ideally be dry and the bottom should be wet.
Spring sowing is best done in April - June. When summer planting will require abundant watering, as the lawn grass is very demanding of moisture and can dry out.
How to sow lawn grass in the spring on the site?
So now let's talk about direct sowing. Travosmes already purchased and now remains to proceed to the most important thing.
- loosen the ground with a rake so that the grooves remain. Seeds mix very thoroughly. При посеве нужно учитывать, что нужно выходить за пределы участка примерно на пять сантиметров с каждой стороны.
- если к семенам не идет подробная инструкция, то на 1 метр квадратный нужно высеять около пятидесяти грамм семян. More rare sowing will allow weeds to germinate and bald spots will appear that look very sloppy.
- we divide all seeds into four parts and we sow the fourth part of a site with one part of seeds.
Lawn grass sprout usually 7–20 days after sowing. If it is not rainy weather, then the lawn should be regularly watered. But this should be done with extreme caution, a watering can with a spray or a special installation for a lawn that sprays water jets.
As soon as the green carpet grows to 10 centimeters - it is time to trim.
We figured out how to properly plant lawn grass in the spring on its territory. It should be said that if you follow all the recommendations for preparing the site for planting lawn grass, as well as the rules for planting and care, then it is quite possible to become the owner of an ideal lawn cover on the site, which will be a highlight and decoration of the territory.
Before sowing the lawn, the area must be leveled as perfectly as possible. The masters of English lawns use the building level at this and at the tamping stage, and it is quite justified if you want to get a perfectly flat green carpet. Layout of relief is carried out in clear weather, when the soil is dry and flowing. It is not necessary to remove the bias, if any. On the contrary, it will provide rainwater runoff, which is especially important in the last summer seasons, rich in heavy rainfall. However, this bias must be leveled.
Pits and lowlands in the area are aligned in one of two ways: remove the soil from elevations (mounds) and move into the pits, or fill lowland places with fertile soil from other parts of the garden. If the plot is fresh and there is no fertile layer on it, it is replaced with purchased peat ground. Heavy clay soil is mixed with sand to give it greater air and water permeability.
ON THE PICTURE:For holes on the site it is better to use the purchase of soil based on peat.
Ideal soil for a lawn:
- pH: 5.5–6.5,
- humus: 2.5 to 3.5 percent,
- nitrogen and its compounds: 10 mg. per 100 g of soil
- phosphorus: 15–25 mg. per 100 g of soil
- potassium: 20–30 mg. per 100 g of soil
- trace elements: control of copper and zinc.
Drainage (as needed)
Any manual on how to plant lawn grass properly includes instructions for draining. If the site is in a good place, it is not flooded with rains and spring water that has risen, then it is enough just to dig, chill and fertilize. In other cases, you will need to create a drainage system, which is produced in conjunction with the alignment of the relief.
ON THE PICTURE:If rainwater stagnation is observed at the site, then drainage is simply necessary.
To do this, the fertile layer, removed during leveling, is laid over two layers of drainage, the lower of which includes coarse gravel or broken brick, and the upper one consists of small stones or sand. Thus, on the site a three-layer basis is formed:
- above 15–20 cm. fertile layer,
- below 10–15 cm of sand (fine fraction of gravel),
- at the heart of 10–15 cm. large stones.
Each layer is carefully rammed as it is laid.
ON THE PICTURE:General view of the site immediately after laying the drainage under the lawn and garden path.
What type of drainage to choose for a lawn depends on the size of the area, the proximity of groundwater, already laid communications and a host of other factors that we will definitely touch on in our separate article on drainage.
ON THE PICTURE:In some cases, in particular in the immediate vicinity of the foundation, laying of French drainage under the lawn is possible. Such drainage can be easily done independently, especially if the area is small.
Tillage, shredding and final cleaning
On a small area, in the country or in the garden, the treatment can be done using a fork or shovel. Digging depth - 20–25 cm. or less (with a thin layer of humus). At the same time, organic fertilizers and sand are buried in the soil, since planting a lawn on depleted soil is a hopeless task.
If, before planting a lawn in a country house or in a garden, do not break earthen lumps, then do not get a flat and smooth surface, as in the photo below, because the ground will settle unevenly.
- It is easy to get rid of lumps with your own hands by breaking them with a heavy rake or pitchfork; in the course of this work, stones, weeds, rhizomes and garbage are removed from the ground.
- Large areas easier to handle motocultivator.
- If spring sowing is planned, and the plot is prepared in autumn, the lumps remaining on it can be left before the sowing period (for better drainage of the plot) and leveled just before sowing lawn grass in spring.
- Before tamping (the next stage) they drive in the pegs around the perimeter of the section and pull the rope through them. Moving from one corner of the plot to another, you need to tamp the pegs and tighten the rope to form a perfectly straight line, that is, 180 °. It is desirable to have a building level to achieve this result.
ON THE PICTURE:Motoblock, pitchfork, rake and trolley for collecting debris (rhizomes, etc.) - a minimum set for processing the site before planting a lawn.
- The tamping of the soil has one important goal: it removes voids from the ground mass, so that later irregularities on the already grown lawn do not arise.
- The tamper is made with feet and a garden roller. Any heavy, rounded (but even over the whole surface) material, for example, a log with a radius of at least 20 cm, a large metal or concrete pipe, will also work. The soil is trampled down on a dry day.
- Traces of shoes after finishing work are leveled with a rake.
- Periodically, from different angles, it is necessary to look at the level of hammered wedges with a rope. If it seems that somewhere the angle has distorted, a hill has been formed, or vice versa, emptiness, then it is better to walk along this section with the rink, fill up the ground or remove the excess.
ON THE PICTURE:Guests from Central Asia amicably rolling soil under the lawn at someone's dacha outside Moscow. Notice doing it right.
How to sow a lawn?
Now directly about that,how to sow lawn grass with your own hands. Imagine that you already have a package with a suitable grass mixture for composition. Getting Started:
- loosen the surface of the earth with a fan-like rake so that small grooves remain on it. Mix the seeds in the package - if the packaging is large, then roll up the sleeve, and move the seeds several times with your hand from the bottom of the bag to the surface. When sowing, keep in mind that on each side of the edge of the lawn you need to go about 8 cm. That is, the seed will need a little more than planned for the site itself,
- if the package does not have instructions, expect that 30–60 g of seeds should be sown per square meter of soil. If you sow less often, weeds will break through the lawn grasses and you will see ugly bald spots,
- Divide the whole prepared volume of seeds into 4 parts and sow each of them one fourth of the area. If there is a seeder, sow half of the seeds along the grooves, half across. Cover planting material on top with a fan-shaped rake, without stepping on the place of sowing.
ON THE PICTURE:A fan rake is one of the obligatory tools for preparing a lawn for sowing.
Before you talk about the details of planting a lawn, you need to talk about what types of this plant exist today. The lawn is not only trimmed grass. It can also be blooming, sporting, meadow or Moorish. The type of lawn, as a rule, depends on the future choice of seeds necessary for planting and future care (watering, cutting, feeding, aeration). It is necessary to prepare soil preparation for various types of lawn seeds according to the classical technology.
Sample lawn. When is it best to plant a lawn?
If you decide to decorate your summer cottage with a lawn, then there are no specific strict rules for planting a lawn. It is necessary to take into account the time for the opportunity to prepare the soil, the site for grass germination. Based on this, the most optimal time period for the start of these works is mid-May to September. Basically, the work on planting and germination of the lawn will take about 5-6 weeks. But it is best to complete them before the first snow falls and frost occurs.
After drying and drying of the grass, the site must be cleaned from debris, dried grass and from the roots of plants. Next, you should carefully align it. In the event that the soil in your area is poor and you need to make a lot of fertilizer and fertile soil, you can permanently save it from annoying weeds, using geotextiles. This canvas covers the entire area of your lawn with your own hands. It will not allow further germination of weed seeds. Thus, nothing will grow in your future lawn.
Fertilizer and soil preparation for lawn
If you want to know how to plant a lawn, then you should read our article to the end and watch the video. In this part of the article we will continue to talk about planting a lawn. As you can see, planting this grass is a difficult process. Therefore, it is important to show your attention here. The second stage in which, as a rule, will be created, excellent conditions for the rapid germination of lawn grass is fertilization of the soil. This work depends on the type of soil. It should be loose, fertile, and perfectly retain and pass moisture. It should also contain a large number of all kinds of trace elements that can ensure your seeds a rapid growth. It is necessary to carry out these works from 4 to 7 days.
- First, you should determine the composition of your soil, its main characteristics - the structure and humidity. In the event that this soil has an acidic reaction, it is necessary to add slaked lime or chalk. A heavy and clay soil loosened by adding humus or biohumus.
- Also at the same time you need to make mineral fertilizers in the soil, in the quantity indicated on the package. In the spring, when sowing seeds, the soil is mainly fertilized with fertilizers containing nitrogen. They tend to cause active growth of seeds. With the onset of autumn, the soil is fertilized with a large amount of potassium and phosphorus. These substances can facilitate wintering seeds.
- Additives and primer must be distributed evenly on the site. Further, the soil is loosened and moistened. However, it should not stick to the tool, and be loose.
- After the alignment of the site, it should be rolled using a special roller. Its weight ranges from 60 to 100 kg. In the case of detection on the site, any irregularities are usually aligned. Next, the section is rolled again.
How to sow lawn grass with your own hands
The leveled soil is left for several days. She should go to the top. Best if you leave it for a week. During this period of time, weeds will appear on the soil, which were brought to this area along with humus. They should be removed, and re-loosen the soil. After that, it is necessary to fertilize and re-roll a piece of land.
Sowing with these hands: when to sow grass for lawn
In the spring time, many people want to know the answer to the question of how to plant lawn grass in spring. And right now we will talk about this in detail. The norms for sowing seeds are usually indicated on their packaging. For different types of lawn they may differ. Do not save on the number of seeds. Bare plots of land on the future lawn will very quickly grow weeds, and you will need to repeat the work again. The total time for planting seeds will be short. In the event that you have a small area, then you will be able to perform these works in one day. Below in this article we will describe interesting rules for planting a lawn.
- You need to mentally imagine your lawn and divide it into equal areas. Then divide the seeds into the same number of parts. This procedure is necessary for an even rise of seeds.
- If you have a dry ground, then before planting it should be moistened with a hose with a nozzle. After moistening, the soil should absorb moisture and become loose.
- Planting seeds is best in quiet, calm weather. The prepared quantity of seeds is scattered on the site from two directions: first they are scattered along, and then across. This method will help the seeds to lie flat.
- After that, make a small loosening of a lawn by means of the French rake. Thus, there is a filling of seeds with earth. Then it is necessary to compact the ground with a roller.
- It remains to produce watering our lawn with a watering can or a hose having a small sprayer. Water the soil should be moderate.
When to plant lawn grass
Planting lawn grass with his own hands can be done in spring, summer and autumn. Consider the positive and negative sides of each of these periods. To plant lawn grass in spring is recommended in the last decade of April - early May. Such terms have their advantages:
- The soil by this time is quite wet and not frozen.
- The first weeds have time to ascend, and it will be possible to get rid of them even before sowing lawn grass using herbicidal preparations.
- By the end of the season, the grass will be stronger, even survive a few mowings. You will be able to detect errors, and if there are some bald spots somewhere, then sow the seeds.
- In the spring it is already quite warm, and with good germination of seeds, it will be possible to admire a young green lawn a month after sowing.
- By the winter period, such a lawn will be strong and well-rooted, it will easily endure frosts.
The lack of spring planting is that the prepared soil may not have time to survive. That is why experts recommend preparing the site for the winter, and sow the seeds in the spring.
Some people think that planting lawn grass with seeds is better in June, because the ground is already quite warm. In addition, if the preparation of the site was carried out in the spring, the soil will have time to settle, detecting alignment errors.
You can sow the lawn in the second half of summer (July - early August), but in this case everything depends on the region. In areas where the cold comes early, there is a risk that the grass will not have time to get stronger. In addition, an insufficient amount of mowing will not allow a uniform surface to form. Some plants may freeze and not climb in the spring, and then have to sow the lawn again.
As for the autumn period, there are two options for planting lawn grass. A good time for regions with mild winters is the beginning of September, you only need to carefully prepare the site in summer. Lawn grass in the fall has time not only to ascend, but also grow to the height of the first haircut (about 10 cm). Thanks to the mowing, the lawn will get stronger and at such a stage it will winter well under snow in regions with moderate winter.
The second option is to plant the area with seeds for the winter (at the end of October), after applying fertilizer to the soil. The grass does not have time to grow, but the seeds will be stratified, hardened and will sprout well in spring. But in this case it is necessary to take into account the peculiarities of the region. If the second half of autumn is warm, the plants will begin to break through (at temperatures above + 5 ° C), and a sharp onset of cold weather will destroy them.
Where to begin
Arrangement of lawn begin with the planning of a suitable place in the country and markings, while taking into account the general plan of the site and landscape style (if it is already formed). Then, weed removal is started in the designated area. If there are too many of them, then the plot should be treated with herbicides. As soon as the weedy plants turn yellow and dry, they start the general cleaning of the territory. Everything is removed - dried grass, stumps and roots of felled trees, branches, stones, debris and unnecessary shrubs.
Do I need a drainage
If the lawn breaks up in a marshy area or clay is predominant in the soil composition, it is impossible to do without drainage. In this case, when preparing the site, it is necessary to make three layers. First, broken bricks (adobe or ceramic), tiles, gravel, and stones fall asleep to a thickness of 10 to 15 cm.
The silicate brick is unsuitable for arranging drainage - under the action of moisture it quickly collapses and changes the chemical composition of the soil.
Then a layer of fine sifting of rubble or sand of the same thickness is formed. And only after that, fertile soil is laid.
How to pick up grass mixtures
How to choose a grass mixture for planting a lawn depends on its functional purpose, the illumination area, climatic conditions:
- the sports field should be well tolerated by mechanical damage and trampling (red and meadow fescue, meadow bluegrass, perennial ryegrass will do),
- lawn for children's games should be soft, so it is better to sow his hedgehogs team, different types of clover, meadow timothy grass,
- decorative coating should look elegant, for its arrangement they use sheep fescue, awnless rump, which creates bent.
A good option to create a background for other landscape elements is Canadian lawn grass. When sowing, it is unpretentious, grows on any soil, care for it is simple. “Canada Green” retains its greens even under snow cover and does not allow weeds to sprout. Если хотите сформировать яркую цветущую лужайку, выбирайте мавританскую газонную травосмесь. Красивый низкорослый газон создают из белого клевера, корсиканской мяты, аниса и ползучего тимьяна (чабреца).
Технология посева газона сложностями не отличается. Главное правило — должна быть безветренная погода, чтобы обеспечить равномерное распределение семян по всему участку.
Most lawn grass seeds do not require any special preparation for sowing. Only in some plants (awnless fire, high ryegrass, meadow bluegrass) seeds have fine hairs, which they interlock with each other, form lumps and lose flowability - to restore their properties, they are processed at home on a grater.
Two days before sowing, the plot is watered to plant seeds in a slightly moist ground.
If the territory of the future lawn is large, then a special planter is indispensable. In small areas, you can sow manually. Travosmes poured into the sand (equal proportions are taken), mix thoroughly and scatter over the entire area. Such mixing allows to achieve uniformity of distribution.
Sow in two directions: along the plot, then across. Then the soil is loosened and rolled with a roller so that the seeds are not spread by gusts of wind, and preferably sprinkled with peat (1 cm layer will be enough). The final stage - watering the area with a hose with a small spray.
And now a little instruction on how to care for a lawn planted: The main thing is to ensure correct and timely watering - always using a small sprayer so that the grass roots do not wash away with a powerful water jet while they are still weak. Watered daily early in the morning and in the evening, but only not in the dining scorching heat. The lawn, sown "before winter", do not water - the seeds should rise in the spring. When the grass grows up to 6-10 cm, the first haircut is produced, except for the Moorish (flowering) lawn.
Subsequently, they mow every 2-3 weeks (the frequency depends on the type of lawn and the variety of planted plants). Twice per season, the soil needs to be aerated. The upper layer is pierced with special devices, thereby ensuring the normal exchange of atmospheric and soil air.
Three times during the season it is necessary to feed the lawn. For the first time at the end of the spring, preparations containing nitrogen and phosphorus are introduced - they contribute to the rapid growth of green mass, as well as the strengthening and development of roots. In order to improve the color and growth of grass, in summer they are fed with nitrogen fertilizers (you can not do this if the season is not too dry, with a moderate temperature). The introduction of potash fertilizers in autumn will give the grass resistance to winter cold.
It happens that young grass grows poorly and loses a bright color. Most likely, there is not enough nutrients in the soil, which means that nitrogen-containing fertilizers need additional feeding. The appearance of weeds is possible if the plot was not thoroughly cleared of them at the preparatory stage, that is, you have to dig them out manually.
The appearance of cracks on the lawn speaks of poor watering. To eliminate them, it is necessary to water the damaged area well and grind, while adding a little grass mixture to the mulch. Yellowing and dying out of grass indicates fungal or viral diseases - this is how the entire lawn can die. It is necessary to immediately treat the center with special preparations, for example, foundation.
We hope that you will succeed in sowing the lawn properly with your own hands. He will, will not be ill and for many years will be pleasing to the eye with a beautiful bright look and it is pleasant to tickle the heels.
Before sowing lawn grass, prepare the plot. First of all, free the territory from debris, trees and bushes, uproot stumps. When the site is free, proceed to the planning of the relief: remove all the bumps and fill up the pits. Large areas of grass planting can vary the hills and valleys, but if the lawn is small, then the surface of the earth is better to align well.
We dig up the area under the lawn
The site, located in the valley, it is necessary to raise the imported or own soil, for example, remaining after construction.
It is very important to ensure a good flow of water in the spring (after the snow melts) and in case of prolonged rains, as its stagnation is detrimental to the lawn: the planted grass will clear out, bald spots, mold and moss will appear. In the presence of dense clay soils it is necessary to make a drainage.
The simplest in execution is surface drainage. For its implementation, the plot under the lawn is leveled so that it is slightly inclined towards the desired flow of water.
For the device of open drainage, several ditches are dug out with sloping walls with a width from 20 cm to 50 cm and a depth of 50 cm to 1, 5 m. The bottom is lined with geotextiles. Rubble, gravel, broken brick are poured into the ditch, filling it by 1/3. Then soil is poured to the level of the soil and rammed. Such drainage drains water well after rain or during snowmelt.
Closed drainage is used on highly moistened, marshy soils. For it use special pipes that are placed on the bottom of the ditch with a bed of gravel. Pipes to protect against contamination are wrapped with geotextiles, the system is discharged into a special well.
Sowing the lawn can only begin after the creation of a drainage system.
The next stage of soil preparation, the most difficult, is digging. To facilitate the work, you can use the cultivator.
If the lawn is broken on the ground that has never been treated (virgin soil), the weed infestation of such a plot is very high. In this case, in order to achieve a good result, you must adhere to a specific procedure:
- Deeply dig the soil or remove the sod, removing the roots. Land then not loose.
- Leave the plot for two weeks, waiting for the emergence of weeds.
- Spray the entire area with glyphosate based products or weat by hand.
- Finely loosened and fertilized.
- We roll.
Important: you can not first treat the area with herbicides, and then dig up. So you raise from the ground new weed seeds.
If you can not dig, then we act like this:
- First, we use the herbicides of continuous action (“Roundup”) on green leaves. The waiting time for the onset of the drug action is 6-10 days.
- We import fertile soil mixed with sand. It is needed to level the surface.
- Evenly fertilize.
- We roll.
After digging, pre-sowing mineral fertilizers are introduced into the soil. The best choice would be "Ammofosk" in the amount of 4-5 kg per one hundred square meters of lawn.
Why is it necessary to roll in the soil before sowing lawn grass? This allows, firstly, to see and eliminate all the irregularities of the soil, to avoid its subsidence in the future, and secondly, to seal the cushion for seeds. If the surface is friable, unconsolidated, then at the first mowing of the lawn there will remain dents from the legs and lawn mowers, and young and fragile blades of grass will be pulled out together with the roots.
Instead of a heavy rink, you can use simple improvised means: we use old unnecessary sneakers on wide boards and tamp the surface with our own weight.
Before sowing the grass, check the thickness of the fertile layer. It should be no less than 15 cm, and ideally 20-25 cm. If there is little good land, it will have to be imported. The composition of the soil for a lawn is different from the ground suitable for vegetables and flowers: you need less organic matter and more sand.
Important: it is better to prepare the soil immediately under the entire lawn. To do this in several ways is the wrong decision, because then it will be difficult to align several sections into a single surface.
When the lawn is planned to be small, and it is undesirable to dig up or use herbicides, you can use a black film. At the beginning of spring we cover the whole area with a film and press it tightly with improvised materials. By the fall we get a clean weed from the site. Without light and heat, the plants will die.
We prepared a plot before there, how to plant lawn grass. Now it's time to figure out how to actually sow our lawn.
What to choose: seeds or rolled lawn?
There are two main ways to make a lawn correctly: sowing or laying a ready rolled lawn. Each method has its pros and cons. Under the turf soil is much easier to prepare. One-time processing with herbicides and easy leveling is enough: we remove only large mounds and pits. You can not dig up the area, but only pour a little light soil to improve the adhesion of the roll to the soil.
- high price
- the lawn sown with seeds is considered more long-lived and sustainable
Which seeds are better?
To choose the right seeds for your lawn, estimate the following site parameters:
- climate zone
- soil composition and acidity
- groundwater level
- lawn purpose: decorative, functional, parterre, blooming
For example, in order to sow a lawn in the shade, the following grass mixture will suit:
- 15% Fescue Red Hairy Pinafore
- 50% Fescue Maxima Red 1
- 5% Fescue sheep f. rough ridu
- 25% Ryegrass Pasture Tetraploid Double
- 5% Bluegrass Dasas
And for a sunny place in a hot region, other varieties are needed:
- 45% Reed fescue Starlett
- 20% Fescue red Maxima
- 10% Bluegrass Meadow Geronimo
- 25% Ryegrass Pasture Esquire
Important: grass mixtures are the best choice for any lawn. One variety can not meet all the stringent requirements for lawn grasses.
Beautiful lawn of white low clover! But if you have animals or children, then do not rush for the seeds of this plant to the store. Blooming clover attracts bees and the risk of being stung increases many times over.
When to sow?
Consider several possible options:
1. Planting a lawn in the spring. This option is optimal. In the autumn, when the main work at the dacha is finished and there is no hurry, you can thoroughly prepare the site for sowing grass. Spring will loosen the ground and sow the seeds. When to plant a lawn in the spring? April May.
2. Planting a lawn in the fall. Risky event. Not suitable for regions with thaws up to +10 degrees in winter.
In the case of podzimnogo sowing, you must correctly guess in which month to do it: the seeds must either have time to rise and get stronger, or wake up only in spring. A newly grown lawn will die if young shoots fall under a severe snow-free frost or thaw.
Sown in July, the grass will wait for a good rain to germinate. If a prolonged drought is established, it will have to be constantly watered.
How to sow?
The seed consumption of grass mixture per square meter is from 30 to 60 grams. We sow more tightly if we want to make a risk adjustment: poor weather conditions or poor germination. When sub-winter sowing, seed consumption increases about one and a half to two times.
The technology of landing of a lawn is simple. The entire volume of seeds intended for sowing must be divided in half. The main rule: the first half is sown, passing the site in one direction, the second - perpendicular. Depending on the size of the plot, you can sow either with your hands or with the help of a seeder. Be sure to leave some seeds for planting, if suddenly the shoots will be uneven.
When we managed to sow the whole area, we deeply close up the seeds with a rake. If you leave them on the surface of the earth - birds can peck, besides, some plants are able to germinate only in darkness.
Shoots appear after 7-21 days, depending on the varieties that make up the grass mixture. If there is no rain for a long time, then the sowed lawn needs to be watered. Suitable watering can with small holes on Dushenka or nozzle on the hose, providing a fine spray of water. The seeds can be knocked out of the ground by a strong pressure, since they are shallowly embedded.
If you installed an automatic underground lawn irrigation system (at the site preparation stage), then in dry weather, turn on watering for 15-30 minutes once a day, every other day.
In the period of growth of young shoots need to regularly remove weeds.
We talked about how to plant lawn grass. When the grass reaches 12-14 cm and its roots become stronger, it is time to mow the lawn. To learn how to cut a lawn, read our special article.
Watch the video on how to plant lawn grass.