- Benjamin Ficus: home care
- How to care for ficus
- Caring for Benjamin Ficus
Under natural conditions, it is common in Asia and Northern Australia, reaching a height of 25 meters, and has a sprawling lush crown. At home, the Benjamin Ficus reaches a height of three meters, but in general it is very plastic and can be grown with a straight trunk, in the form of "pigtails" or a dwarf bonsai form.
Home care ficus benjamin
Given the complex nature, caring for it requires special knowledge. First, if the plant does not choose a permanent place in advance, but to start rearranging it, turning it, moving it, then Benjamin's ficus sheds leaves, “offended” by such disrespect. When choosing a place, it should be noted that this flower is selectively related to temperature, humidity, light and does not like drafts, cold.
Temperature, humidity, watering
For a good plant development, the optimum temperature will be 25 ° С in summer and 16 ° С during cold snap. Given the origin of countries with a humid subtropical climate, the humidity in the room should not be below 50%, and the best - 70 percent. In case of increased dryness in the room, it is recommended to periodically spray it, and in summer, monthly wash it with a full shower. Shower warm water arrange in the bathroom and leave the ficus to dry completely. Benjamin Ficus leaves fall off if it cools after a shower.
Watered boiled, heated to 50 ° C with water, adding fertilizer to it. The timing of irrigation depends on the condition of the soil, the main thing is to prevent drying or too wet soil. Drying at a depth of three centimeters or 6-7 cm in pots, the earth requires watering. Watering is carried out in several stages, so that the water covers the top layer completely and after 30 minutes free the tray from accumulated moisture. Important for the care of Benjamin Ficus is lighting that affects the color of the leaves. It must meet the following conditions:
- Well lit place, avoiding direct exposure to the sun burning the plant.
- Additional lighting with the help of special lamps in the winter.
Up to four years, the plant is transplanted in the spring or summer annually. Later transplantation is carried out as needed, but at least once in three years. The choice of the date of transplantation depends on the state of the soil in the pot or tub. Moreover, if its roots protrude outward, then it is time to transplant to a special substrate.
Feed the plant in the spring-summer period with special mixtures once every two months. If during this period the leaves of Benjamin Ficus fall off, the meaning of feeding is absent. Ficus transplantation is an important operation, since an incorrect transplantation can lead to the fact that the Benjamin Ficus drops as extra leaves, and the growth is significantly slowed down. To alleviate the stressful state that accompanies the transplant process, you should:
- Water the plant and remove the top layer of earth.
- At the bottom of the new tank, sprinkle drainage and cover with a layer of prepared soil.
- Carefully transfer the plant to a pot or tub and cover the roots with earth.
- Complete the transplant with soft watering.
What to do when Benjamin ficus falls?
The leaves of the ficus Benjamin can be dumped for various reasons. Compared with their relatives, this type of ficus more often gets rid of its dress. First of all, this can be explained by natural causes, when in the autumn-winter period, the lower leaves fall off when the plant goes into hibernation mode. The following factors can also provoke a fall:
Changes in the conditions to which the plant is accustomed, including a change in location, level of illumination, increase or decrease in temperature.
- Too plentiful watering.
- Low levels of soil substances necessary for plant growth.
- Diseases and parasites affecting the flower.
The color of the leaves or their discharge may be caused by other circumstances. For example, the yellow spots on the leaves cause an excess of moisture, and the yellowness of the leaves is observed when the air is dry in winter.
Description of indoor flower
Indoor species of ficus are more decorative than wild relatives, as a result of centuries-old selection, acquired the ability to live in enclosed spaces. Benjamin ficuses, which are sold in stores, are distinguished by external signs:
- Leaf color and size
- Trunk height
Note. All varieties of Ficus Benjamin, well clean the air from germs. The plant is endowed with bactericidal properties.
A variegated variety of Ficus Benjamin, in adult form, 40 centimeters tall. The crown of the first years of life resembles a ball, with time the geometry is lost, the branches expand to the sides, there is no central, pronounced escape, a lot of thin stems. The leaf grows to size: length - 4 centimeters, width - 2 centimeters. The edge of the leaf of a young plant is pale green; in an adult it is white.
Ficus Anastasia grows intensively, refers to the type of variegated. The sheet 7 * 3 centimeters, the center of the plate is dark green, the edges and vein in the center are light green, the surface of the leaf is shiny with a wave.
It is important! All variegated varieties of ficus require for their growth good lighting, optimum air temperature of 23-25 C.
This type of ficus grows a bush, branches are tightly covered with leaves 3 * 1.5, the color is uniform, grassy green. The shape of the sheet plate is oval with a sharp end, in the center it can be seen a recess. Slow growth is observed. Ficus Natasha is used to create compositions in the style of bonsai.
Before buying a plant, you must choose a place. Location requirement:
- Sunny side.
- Fresh air access.
- No drafts.
- Absence near heating devices.
You should know it! Ficus does not like frequent change of place.
Watering and spraying
The frequency of watering depends on the quality of the room in which the plant is located. If the air in the room is dry and hot, the earth dries faster, watering will have to be carried out more often. Before watering, the ground should be touched, if at a depth of 2 centimeters it is dry, it is time to water it. The earth sticks to the finger, watering is not required, the humidity is sufficient.
Watering is carried out with warm settled tap water. In summer, the plant requires water more than in winter. It is necessary to water so that the earth clod is completely wet. At the same time water flows into the pan, it must be drained. Stagnant fluid leads to decay of the root system.
Ficus is a tropical plant, likes moist air. Humidity more than 65%, optimal for him. To increase the humidity index, it is necessary to spray with warm water as often as possible. In winter, irrigation should be carried out daily, the air due to heating is dry.
Ficus likes good care and the right conditions.
Fertilizing plants to carry out from the beginning of spring until the end of summer. The frequency is determined by the composition of the soil. When using conventional soil, apply organic fertilizer under the ficus twice a month. In the spring to water the fertilizers containing nitrogen. They help the plant during the period of active growth.
Need to know! In winter, the plant is at rest, feeding is not necessary. The use of fertilizers during this period weakens the plants. They are drawn out. The branches are made thinner.
To obtain a crown, which has a beautiful shape, the container with the plant must be periodically rotated with respect to a window or other light source. All parts of the flower should receive the right amount of lighting. If this is not done, the branches on the side receiving little solar radiation will start to lag behind in growth.
Formative pruning is carried out in spring and summer. During this period, the largest increase in young shoots. If you do not cut, thin branches from the weight of the leaves, they will begin to fall, the crown will lose its decorative effect.
Typically, after a formative trim, the crown is:
Important! Use a sharp, clean tool for trimming. The plant will not be infected, the sections will quickly overgrow. Pruning young branches, leaves do not touch.
The ball is produced by the method of regular haircut, held from March to the end of July. To obtain the column, it is necessary to plant at least three plants in one tank. Young stems, until they are numb, weave into a braid. It turns out a strong plant with a thick crown.
Compliance with temperature
In the summer, during the period of active growth, the air temperature in the daytime should not be below 25 ° C. To strengthen the plant, it is possible in the warm season to bring it outside. Put the plant in partial shade. The leaves are tender, with direct sunlight, possible burns.
In winter, strictly monitor the air temperature in the room, the lower limit is 15 ° C. Roots do not tolerate hypothermia, it is strictly forbidden to put on a cold floor.
Why do leaves fall?
Novice flower growers often have a problem - the plant loses leaves, there are several reasons for this:
- Lack of light.
- Waterlogging, or drying earthen coma.
Lack of sunlight in the winter, the temperature dropped below normal, or often changes, draft, excess moisture kill the plant.
Manifestations of plant disease:
- The earth is wet, does not dry.
- The tops of the plants die off.
- The soil smells of rot.
- The dark color of the leaves.
Signs of lack of moisture:
- Dry, twisted leaves.
- The branches are thin, fragile.
- A lump of earth lags behind the walls of the pot.
Important! To conduct top dressing, observing the correct dosage of fertilizers, spill the soil before this with warm water, the clod of earth should not be dry.
How to transplant ficus?
Transplantation is carried out in early spring, when the plant has not yet left the state of rest. The frequency of transplants depends on age. Young ficuses are recommended to carry out transshipment every spring. Adult plants are transplanted less frequently, as needed, usually with an interval of three years.
Important! Correctly choose the capacity for transplanting. A pot with a diameter of 1-1.5 cm is suitable.
Replace gently, trying not to damage the basal ball. Put drainage on the bottom, fill the pot with ready soil. The plant loves neutral soils.
In an adult plant that does not need transplantation, remove a few centimeters of old soil, replace it with a new, fertile one. Replace carefully in order not to damage the roots.
How to propagate the ficus Benjamin?
Experienced growers spend breeding in the spring. Prepare for this cuttings. Plant in the ground, or put in the water. Water must be changed so that the roots are not rotten. Seed, planted in the ground, cover with a can, or a plastic bottle with a cut off bottom. The rooting process will be faster, the plant has an optimal microclimate. The jar is removed when the plant grows.
Diseases affecting the plant
The plant may be affected by pests, viral infections:
- Pests: spider mites, scale insects, aphids.
- Fungal infection.
Signs of tick infestation: the presence of cobwebs, entangling, leaves, spots of yellow color and dots on the outer part of the leaves. One can see parasites on the inside of the leaf plate.
Elimination method: wash the leaves. Spray the plants as often as possible with warm boiled water.
A sign of defeat the shield: plant growth slows down, a sticky coating appears on the trunk and leaves. Ficus loses yellowed leaves. Timely inspection of the plant and processing can save the plant.
Folk recipes to fight with the shield:
- Take a liter of water, add 1 tbsp. spoon, a little liquid soap, stir the solution. Rinse infected areas of the plant with this compound.
- Take 0.5 heads of garlic, peel, chop. Immerse in water, mix, leave overnight. In the morning, use garlic water for spraying diseased plants.
Signs of fungal infection: red or brown spots on leaves. A sign of gray rot - a raid on the stems and leaves.
- Stop spraying.
- Reduce watering.
- Sick leaves and stems removed.
- Perform insecticide treatment.
- Move the pot to another place.
Tips for a beginner florist when buying plants
Check the leaves, branches, trunk for the presence of diseases, pests. If you notice spots on the leaves, damage to the trunk, or branches, do not buy ficus.
Plant after purchase to put on a permanent place, the capacity does not change. It will take two weeks, the ficus adapts to the apartment, can be transplanted into a new pot.
To grow a beautiful, healthy plant is not difficult, it is necessary to follow simple rules of care.
What is the charisma of this ficus
Like many other decorative leaves, the ficus has smooth leaves with a glossy surface. It is easy to take care of them, because on their smooth surface (unlike velvety, rough Saintpaulia and other similar species) dust will not collect.
“In the wild,” in the tropics, this is a full-fledged 25-meter tree, but in the conditions of an apartment ficuses grow not so high. How fast are they growing? If you take care of Benjamin for about 10 years, you will get a plant by 1.5, less often - by 2 meters.
Moreover, the ficus roots will not only sit in a pot, but also get out, wrapping around the surface of the soil. This is a feature of the roots of this type of plant. Although they can be covered in a flowerpot, filling the pot to the ground.
The ficus is still picky, and if it doesn’t suit the care, it starts to crumble right away. Therefore, it is difficult to call it a plant for beginners.
Most Popular Varieties
This whole species can be characterized as follows: dark gray or light brown bark, many branches, pointed fleshy leaves from 5 to 11 cm in length. Their color may vary depending on the variety. A variety of bred more than a dozen.
- Twilight. Surprisingly beautiful variety, the marginal part of the sheet is white. It grows up to 1.5 meters.
- Safari. The edges of these leaves are yellowish, and the yellowness can spread over the entire surface of individual leaves: lie down in a continuous cloth, stripes or spots. The tree is small, the leaves up to 4 cm. This ficus "pest", grows slowly, capricious in lighting. If you mistakenly put it in the shade, all the leaves can turn green ... And for some "individuals" in the same conditions, they turn yellow.
- Kinki (photo below) The variegated ficus, very branchy, grows to 40 cm. The leaves are green, their edges are whitish (in the "old man") or light green (in the young tree).
- Lovely Dwarf shrub with variegated small leaf plates.
- Anastasia. Its leaves are also with a border, but less noticeable, light green. The central vein is also colored in this color. The leaves are not straight, but somewhat wavy.
- Baroque. Interesting variety with twisting bagel leaves. Moody, can get sick if the pot is moved to another window sill or it becomes cold in the room. There are few leaves growing on a tree, so several trees are often planted in one pot for a beautiful picture.
- Natasha. It seems to be not a decorative variety, but still the old leaves of ficus are painted in dark green, and the young ones are painted in bright green. This tree grows slowly and low, ideal for bonsai.
- Wiandi. It has an obedient, curved stem, which can be beautifully guided and even wrapped in a ring. Another option for bonsai. The leaves are like a boat. The tree grows slowly, it is considered moderately capricious. Although the leaves and dark, without spots, this variety needs a lot of light.
- Danielle "Individual" with dense dark green leaves without spots, with smooth edges. This is an option for those who want to grow a ficus to the ceiling, for the season it adds about 30 cm in height.
- Exotic. It grows up to 1.5 meters. It is considered the most unpretentious variety, and if you want a ficus, I recommend starting with this one.
- Monique. The leaves are plain, light green, slightly wavy. The branches are thin and long. Growing fast, also not particularly capricious.
What kind of care does Benjamin like?
Having brought this plant home, immediately select the window sill on which it will stand for a year or even years. Ficus terribly dislikes permutations. Even turning it once again is not necessary.
- Shine. The more variegated the variety, the more light it needs (+ lights in winter). But still the light must be diffused or not too bright. The ideal place is the east wall sill or bedside table near the south window. At the north window, put only varieties with green, not spotty leaves. Keep the tree in the corner? Hang the fitolamp over it.
- Temperature. If the variety is variegated, the room should be about 24 degrees. In general, the ficus enough and 19 degrees. In winter, temperatures can drop to 15 degrees (but this is a critical point, if it is even slightly colder - that's all, “hysterics” and leaf fall). But what to do in the middle of autumn, when the house is already cold, and the batteries are still icy? To warm the pot with the ground (and no matter if it is on the windowsill or the floor) - if the roots do not freeze, the ficus will make it to the heating.
- Watering. Water can be taken filtered, separated or warm boiled. You need to water the plant infrequently (you fill it up, if the color of the leaves has suddenly changed, and underwater, if the leaves fall off). Get a watering can, if you see that the top ball of soil is dry. All the excess will flow into the pan. Следите, чтобы регулярно сливать такую воду.
- Другие водные процедуры. Опрыскивания — летом чаще, зимой реже. Они ускорят процесс роста дерева. Although this is not a prerequisite, the ficus is not afraid of dry air. Well, if the ficus has fallen down with dust, you can put it under a warm shower (only hide the soil in a large bag, you shouldn’t get water into the pot).
- Fertilizers. In the fall and spring of your green pet, you can be pampered with a universal nutrient mixture for ornamental leaf crops (but pouring it, pour in water a little more than the norm). Bring in nutrition after watering. You can feed the plant with a spray gun - for example, “Appin” (it helps to grow new branches) or “Ferrovit” (if young leaves are yellowish - this indicates a lack of iron).
- Comfort If Benjamin falls into a draft, he will immediately arrange a demonstrative leaf fall or “repaint” some leaves as a protest. Also near the ficus should not be a scorching battery.
- Crop. Most varieties need crown formation. Therefore, in the spring or at the beginning of the summer, extra shoots are pinched.
In any case, follow the leaves: as soon as the plant will not like something, it will start dropping them.
Transplant of this plant
Like most flowerpots, ficus is transplanted in the first month of spring.
Young trees need to be “relocated” annually, “old men” once every 3-4 years (but at the same time collect the top ground once a year and replace it with fresh).
Soil can be universal, deciduous, most importantly - slightly acid. Also considered a good composition:
- 2 pieces of hardwood soil
- 1 part of sand,
- 1 part peat,
- 1 part compost (but well rotted).
The old man will love the addition of vermiculite, pine bark, and charcoal.
And always add drainage to the bottom of the pot.
The pot can be made of clay, ceramic. Take a maximum of 3 cm wider than the old "house".
Immediately after transplantation, the ficus is taken not to be watered for 3 days. However, if the house is hot, still pour a little water into the ground + spray a tree from a small spray gun.
After a month, turn over the pot with young Benjamin - do not the spines look out of the lower holes? If so, the ficus has already outgrown this “house”, and it will have to be transplanted again.
Reproduction ficus Benjamin
- Cuttings They can be cut and rooted all year round. The twigs are cut to 15-20 cm in length, choose those that have a woody stem. For 2 hours, put them in warm water (let the juice come out), then transfer the twigs to fresh water (you can add some coal to the glass). When the roots appear, the stalk is planted in the ground. But first, they are kept under a can or package (transparent), slightly opening the "hotbed" and accustoming the young ficus to the temperature of the apartment.
- Seeds. They are sown in spring, covered with a greenhouse (bag, glass). When sprouts appear, they are transferred to small separate pots.
The leaves of this plant do not root.
- Insects. Ficus rarely, but still attack the mealybug, thrips, scytworm, spider mite. Leaves need to be treated several times with vodka, tincture of garlic, or a systemic fungicide. Going for the last, take a picture of the pest on the phone, so the seller will tell you the poison that will suit your case. But of course, before processing, you need to put a basin under the ficus and, if possible, collect all insects.
- Yellow spots, mounds on the leaves: the ground is poured.
- The leaves curl, dry: the air is too dry.
- The edges of the leaves turn yellow: give a nitrogen fertilizer.
Another advantage of this plant is that it is suitable for many flower growing experiments. For example, branches of ficuses can be intertwined, creating lattices, braids and other curious forms.
Want to see how this is done and what is needed for this? Watch the video:
Does this species bloom
At home - no, even with the most optimal care conditions.
But in a warm country, on the street, growing to the size of a tree, these rubber plants can please here with such flowers:
Which soon will turn into such fruit, resembling a dogrose, only inedible:
Diseases of ficus benjamin
Benjamin's diseases, depending on what caused them, can be divided into several groups:
- fungal diseases
Among the fungal diseases, the most dangerous is root rot, in which the plant turns yellow. It is impossible to cure this disease and the flower must be thrown away with the pot. Gray rot is caused by excessive heat or dampness in the room. Care for Benjamin Ficus in this case is to remove the damaged areas, reducing the frequency of watering and increasing the amount of ventilation of the room.
To remove the soot fungus, which is characterized by a gray bloom on the leaves, in most cases it is enough to treat the leaves with a sponge with a solution of soap. With a very strong lesion, leaf disease must be completely removed. If Benjamin's ficus turns yellow, then most likely it is caused by the defeat of aphids. To remove it, wash the affected leaves with soapy water. Soap solution is used to destroy the scythe, which causes brown bulging spots on the leaves.
For the destruction of such parasites as thrips (dark brown spots on the leaves), mealybugs (formations in the form of cotton wool), nematodes (growths at the roots in the form of beads), it is necessary to apply chemical spraying. Another type of parasite is a spider mite that leaves gray spots on ficus leaves. To get rid of the parasite, you need to close the film for several days, and then sprinkle with garlic extract.
The main thing when taking care of a ficus benjamin at home is to be attentive to the state of the plant. Any changes may indicate unfavorable developments. Timely measures to avoid the development of the disease. To this end, it is necessary to periodically clean the plant from dried leaves, and in particularly difficult cases, transplant into another container.
Caring for Benjamin Ficus at home requires constant attention and response to even minor changes. For example, the drying up of a sprig may indicate the beginning of the decay of the roots, which are provoked by the overwetted soil. Stopping the formation of new leaves warns of the imminent death of the plant, if no action is taken.
Ficus can be saved by transplanting it into the soil prepared for decorative leafy plants. At the same time, the rotted roots must be cut off, and the rest processed with potassium or sodium humate powder. An additive to the bulk water of the drug "Zircon" will help strengthen the roots. The same preparation (2 drops in a glass of water) can be sprayed on the leaves. Despite the difficulties of caring for Benjamin ficus at home, he will thank the owner for a magnificent view of an evergreen beautiful plant.
Benjamin ficus, without exaggeration, one of the most interesting and ornamental plants. It has an invasive root system, well developed both in depth and on the surface layer of the soil. So strong that the roots easily break through the asphalt and, together with the trunk, intertwine into a dense, intricate sculptural form.
Young shoots too easily grow together with each other. If several cuttings are planted next to each other and, as they grow, they are sent at their own discretion, you can get a stem braided in the form of a rope, pigtails, grates or any other openwork design. Thus, it is possible to “build” even hedges and gazebos. Due to this feature, the Ficus Benjamin is very popular in indoor floriculture and landscape design.
As for the appearance, the Benjamin Ficus is distinguished by its gray-brown bark, upright shoots and drooping branches, forming a thick spreading crown. Thin-skinned glossy leaves of lanceolate form, with full-edged edges and pointed tops are arranged alternately, on short, up to 2 cm petioles. The venation is peristopyleous, with a well-marked central vein depressed and 8–12 pairs of weakly expressed lateral veins. The length of each leaf of an adult plant, depending on the variety, varies from 5 to 13 cm, and the width from 2 to 6 cm. If the leaf is cut, white juice will stand out from it. Young foliage is thinner and lighter than mature.
Fruits of a benjamin tree growing under natural conditions
In the wild, Benjamin Ficus bears fruits with oblong or rounded inedible paired fruits (syconiums) up to 2 cm in diameter. As they mature, their color changes from red to burgundy. The flowers of the ficus Benjamin, especially in comparison with the dense variegated or glossy-green deciduous mass, are not very impressive. At home, the ficus does not bear fruit and does not bloom. A rare exception is large greenhouses with an appropriate climate.
Like sansevera and chlorophytum, the Benjamin tree is in the top ten of the best filter plants. It purifies the air by absorbing toxic substances from it (formaldehyde, benzene, toluene, and the like) and releases oxygen into it.
Grade Daniel with glossy smooth colored leaves Variety "Anastasia" one of the most common
Of course, Ficus Benjamin's home-grown varieties do not differ in the same dimensions as those that grow in natural conditions, but with proper care they can grow up to 5 meters. True, experts believe that raising them above 3 meters in height is not worth it. Of the traditional varieties of ficus Benjamin in Russia, the most common are: Monique, Danielle, Barok, Anastasia, Exotica. From variegated (with spotted leaves): Reginald and Starlight. From small-leaved: Wiand, Kinky, Natasja. As well as all dwarf varieties with shallow fluffy foliage, ideal for bonsai.
Dwarf ficus for bonsai grown from cuttings
Temperature and lighting
Ficus Benjamin, especially its variegated varieties, like most of the plants coming from the warm southern edges are very fond of light. Although he will be able to come to terms with his absence, but remaining in the shadows, he will grow very slowly and lagging behind in growth. It must be borne in mind that direct sunlight is just as harmful for this plant as lack of light. They cause burns and yellowing on the foliage. Therefore, the best place for Benjamin e ficus and its care is near a window or balcony with soft diffused light.
Despite the fact that the Benjamin tree quickly “gets used” to the place and does not like change, it is advisable to take it out to the fresh air for the summer (loggia or balcony). In gratitude, it will start growing and pushing faster. The optimal air temperature for Benjamin Ficus is in the range of 18 to 30 degrees, when at night it starts dropping to 15-16 degrees, return the plant to the room.
Watering and moisture
The original tropical inhabitants of the ficuses love humidity no less than the light, but they do not require frequent watering in low light conditions typical of home-grown. In the summer, roots drink water more intensively, the soil dries out quickly enough and you can water the plant every 4-5 days. If the earth in the pot remains wet, you should not water the ficus. In addition, in order for the tree to feel comfortable, its leaves must be wiped from dust. Spraying from a spray with water at room temperature for ficus is never superfluous.
In winter, watering is usually sufficient once every 10 days. And in order to provide the plant with comfortable conditions while operating heating devices, you can use an electric humidifier in the room or, two or three times a week, arrange a warm “tropical” shower with a spray gun, after winding the pot with a plastic bag and tying it around the base of the trunk.
Evergreen tropical plants do not have a pronounced dormant period, so they need to provide approximately the same lighting, nutrition, heat and humidity throughout the year.
Fertilizers and fertilizing
In late March and early April, the Ficus of Benjamin awakens to growth. At this time, you can begin to practice pruning, transplanting and starting feeding. Its periodicity depends on the growth rate, which begins in spring, picks up pace by the middle of summer and begins to decline by autumn. So, in March and April, fertilizing is carried out once a month, starting in May - once every 3 weeks, from mid-June until September - once every 2 weeks.
Ficuses well perceive all organic dressings: ashes, chicken manure, sapropel, as well as universal mineral mixed fertilizers for home flowers and plants. Starting from mid-November, feeding is stopped and the plant is allowed to rest. But if ideal conditions are created in the apartment for ficus in terms of light, temperature and air humidity, you can continue to fertilize at half the usual rate once every 2 months.
How to give the ficus the original form
For flower growers and landscape designers, this ficus is primarily attractive opportunity to show their creative potential. Young cuttings of Benjamin are quite flexible. Having planted several cuttings next to each other, they can be braided as you like. In some places of contact, so that they are accustomed to a new position, they are tied with strings or wire. Over time, trunks will grow into the desired shape. There are many different techniques and methods of such "weaving". And if you are in doubt or do not know how to braid the Ficus Benjamin, watch video tutorials from professionals.
To fix a new form, braided trunks are tied up in places where they touch each other. To obtain a vase-like construction, cuttings are planted around a cylindrical tube. So young, germinated from a stalk stem, bend for bonsai
The formation of the crown of the ficus Benjamin is another important design procedure that must not be forgotten. The best time for her is the first weeks of March. Pruned mostly bare branches and branches that grew parallel to the main trunk. This action not only improves the exterior of the plant and forms a crown, but also encourages the kidneys that have fallen asleep for the winter to wake up.
From frequent changes in the ficus Benjamin leaves fall.
Reproduction and transplanting
Pruning ficus Benjamin, like all procedures for its reproduction and transplantation is carried out in the second half of March - early April. New plants need to be transplanted within a month. In order for the Benjamin root system to cope with the development of the entire volume of the new soil as quickly as possible, and the flower took root in the new place, the capacity for planting should not be too voluminous. To its form, as well as to the composition of the substrate, the ficus is not picky.
A new pot for ficus should be only slightly larger than the previous one.
The habitat for the Benjamin tree is the humid tropics with their characteristic nutrient moisture-rich soil. In artificial cultivation, he needs a soil with a similar composition: a mixture of garden soil, sand, peat with the addition of humus or a ready substrate for ornamental deciduous plants. The soil for ficus should be not only nutritious, but also breathable, so the clay should be poured at the bottom of the pot.
Benjamin trees propagated by cutting
Ficus benjamina well propagated by stem stem cutting after pruning. In the spring, they quickly release the roots even in plain water poured into a glass or jar. Milky sap is extracted from the cut stalks, so before they are lowered into the water, they are slightly dried. If you want to further accelerate growth, add to the water some kind of root formation stimulator, for example, “Root plant”. As soon as the first roots appear, the cuttings are planted in a permanent place in the prepared soil.
When transplanting, it is important to prevent increased growth and intensive development of the root system of the plant; therefore, a new pot for ficus should not be much larger than before.
The main problems in the care and cultivation
Some problems with the care and cultivation of the Benjamin tree, despite its unpretentiousness, sometimes can not be avoided. But all of them are removable:
- Leaves dry. The tips of the leaves dry up due to lack of light and moisture. This usually occurs in the winter. To suspend this process, extend the daylight to the plant with artificial light exposure and spray it more often.
- Falling foliage. By dropping leaves, the ficus tree responds to sudden changes in care: changing places, lowering the air temperature in the room, cold drafts. These phenomena are most pronounced during the change of seasons. For example, when with the advent of autumn and the reduction of daylight hours, the plant continues to be watered abundantly, not paying attention to the fact that the soil between the irrigations remains wet.
- Yellow crown. Dropping separate old yellowed leaves in the fall and spring is a natural process for any plant. But massive yellowing means that the care of the ficus is wrong. Its main causes are excess moisture and lower temperatures. Soil between watering should not dry out, but when its top layer is wet, watering is not needed. If a ficus pot stands in a draft (near a balcony door or on a window), even young leaves begin to turn yellow and fall off, and it must be rearranged.
- Ficus does not increase in growth. The reasons for the decline in plant growth are likely to lie in a disproportionate volume of the pot and lack of sunlight. Если деревцу не хватает места, замедляется рост кроны, если горшок для фикуса слишком большой чахнут корни. Ну. А о том, что свет ― главный стимулятор роста любого растения мы говорили уже неоднократно. Особенно чувствительны к этим недостаткам пестролистные более нежные разновидности.
Even a completely “grown-up” tree can be brought back to life by placing it in a home-made greenhouse made of a transparent plastic bag, putting it in a bright place and maintaining the required level of humidity.
Varietal ficus varieties "Starlight"
Benjamin Ficus is an amazing, unpretentious, very ornamental plant. It certainly deserves to take its place in your home greenhouse.
The leaves are bright green in color, oily in appearance.
The plant forms a winding trunk.
- "Golden Monique" - green leaves with dark splashes.
- "Gold Princesses" - leaves of lime color interspersed with a dark green shade.
- "Lakia" - green and white leaves.
- "Daniel" - leafy plates of a dark green shade. Looks impressive in landscaping.
- "De Dumbbell" - leaves of green and white.
- "Kurly" - the plant looks original because of the combination of dark green and cream color in the color of leaf blades.
The leaves have a dark color.
Beautiful plant with dark green leaf blades.
- "Esther" - the plant leaves have a golden hue.
Small leafy plates of a green shade, have a fringing of white color, impregnations of a golden shade.
- “Profit” - the color of leafy plates is green with white.
- "Samantha" - leaves of a greyish-green shade, possess a thin fringing.
This plant perfectly cleans the air in the room, absorbs harmful compounds. In many countries, preparations of ficus are used to treat tumors of the uterus, furunculosis, osteochondrosis, sciatica.
In Thailand, this plant is considered sacred. For its owner, it attracts happiness and good luck. In China, they believe that the ficus creates a cozy and pleasant atmosphere in the room. There are signs and superstitions that if a woman wants to get pregnant, she must put a ficus tree in the bedroom.
How to care for Benjamin Ficus at home?
The plant is light-loving, but under bright sunshine leaves can fade. The ficus must be slightly pritemben to preserve the color of the leaf apparatus.
Caring for Benjamin Ficus at home in the winter is in additional lighting, because in low light leaf blades can partially crumble.
If the substrate is overwetted, Benjamin Ficus drops some of the leaves. Before you water the plant, you need to check whether the earthen room is dry. The crown of the ficus should be regularly sprayed with cool boiled water.
In summer, the tree put in the open air. In winter, the air temperature in the room should be above 16 degrees.
Ficus planting is made in early spring, before the growth processes start to be activated.
Pick up a soil substrate and a pot with holes. The diameter of the pot should be 3-4 cm larger than the previous one. At the bottom place a layer of drainage. Planting is carried out by the method of transshipment, filled with a substrate of emptiness and watered the plant.
Pruning of ficus Benjamin is best done in the winter or early spring, before the growing season.
The main objectives of pruning:
- the formation of a spectacular type of tree. We need to think about the future type of ficus, take into account all the features of the shoots of the plant
- rejuvenation of the tree. When pruning old branches, the growth of new ones is activated,
- sanitary pruning - remove dry branches, shoots with signs of disease.
In winter, plants with variegated leaves move to a sunny place. The air temperature is maintained in the range of + 16 ... + 20 degrees. Do not allow excess watering.
What to do if the leaves turn yellow and fall?
The main reasons for this phenomenon:
- Excessive hydration.
- Low air temperature.
- Insufficient lighting.
- Iron or magnesium deficiency.
What to do if the ficus sheds leaves:
- Transplant plants.
- Moving the pot to a room with the optimum temperature for its growth (in summer + 20 ... + 29 °, in winter above + 16 °) and sufficient lighting.
- Treating trees with pesticides.
- Top dressing microfertilizers.
How to transplant?
After buying the tree 2-3 weeks passes adaptation in the new room, and then it is transplanted. The roots of the plant are released from the transport ground, and the plant is planted in a new container.
Plants that are older than 4 years old are transplanted every 2-3 years by transferring into a pot larger by 3-4 cm in diameter. If the ficus is old and grows in a large-diameter tank, it does not need to be replanted. It is enough to change the top layer of the earthen substrate in the pot to a new one.
Before transplanting a layer of expanded clay is placed on the bottom of the tank, a little soil substrate is placed on top, the tree is placed in a pot and filled with the substrate.
How to propagate the ficus Benjamin?
Cuttings cut in this way:
- the base must be semi-woody, flexible,
- 4-6 leaves should be placed on the stem,
- the milky juice that stands out from the slice needs to be removed with a napkin, the lower leaves cut off,
- the base of the stalk should be cut along the stem several times, a match is placed between the parts.
How to root the cuttings?
To do this, use perlite, water or a light substrate. The air temperature should be above +20 degrees. The formation of the root system occurs within 2-4 weeks. Capacity with cuttings can be covered with plastic wrap. When the root system reaches 2-3 cm in length, the plant is transplanted into a pot, to a permanent place.
After transplantation, the plant is covered with plastic wrap until the first leaves appear.
Diseases and pests: methods of treatment
- root rot - a fungal infection that affects the roots of plants with excessive waterlogging. It is necessary to cut all the darkened and rotted roots, and then the crown of the plant,
- powdery mildew - white bloom on leaf blades, occurs when there is insufficient ventilation. The plant is treated with a solution of a fungicide,
- anthracnose - dark brown spots appear on the leaf blades, ulcers form over time. Affected leaves are removed, the tree is treated with a solution of fungicide.
- scytivka - females suck the cell sap, this causes the leaves to fall. The plant must be treated 3 times with Actellic solution (every 10 days),
- mealybug - white pest secretions resembling pieces of cotton wool. The plant is treated 2 times with a solution of confidor (the second time 2 weeks after the first treatment),
- spider mite - sucks cell sap, leaves wither and fall. The ficus is treated with an insecticide solution.
Benjamin Ficus is an elegant tree, very demanded in interior gardening and bonsai art. Its densely located leaves create a good shade. The plant is drought-resistant, so Benjamin Ficus is used for landscaping parks, squares and streets in regions with a positive winter temperature.
How to care for Benjamin ficus?
In principle, Benjamin's ficus should be considered an unpretentious plant, but it can be distinguished from him a number of conditions in which he feels most comfortable. Therefore, if the care will be carried out taking into account its features, then you can certainly wait for heavy growth and the formation of bright healthy leaves.
Since in natural conditions this plant is provided with warm gentle rays of the southern sun, then in the apartment it is necessary to create a good illumination for it. During care, it is important to note that the amount of sunlight greatly affects how intense its growth and development will be.
For Benjamin's ficus to grow well, it must be provided with enough light. It is not recommended to grow it in shading conditions, which is primarily important for variegated varieties. Otherwise, over time, it will lose its original decorative properties, and its growth will be slowed down.
In this case, it is necessary to observe the measure, because with an excess of sunlight, you can achieve the opposite effect, and then instead of rapid growth in ficus burns appear, and its leaves will begin to turn yellow.
In those periods when the duration of daylight is insufficient to provide your pet with the necessary amount of sunlight, it will be necessary to conduct additional lighting. The need for it is particularly acute in winter, when the sun heats very little. As a source of additional lighting use phytolamps. With the help of this modern energy-saving device you can fully meet the needs of the ficus in the world.
As for the summer, at this time of the year, the Ficus Benjamin is recommended to keep next to the windows. The most suitable places for its cultivation will be window sills, balconies and loggias. Favorable conditions can be created on the southeast, east and west side of the house. Even better will feel the plant, if it is held outdoors in partial shade.
You must be very careful when choosing a suitable place to grow Benjamin ficus. The plant does not accept too frequent changes. In this case, the expected reaction from it will be leaf fall, and recovery after it can take quite a long time.
Once again we recall that in the summer it is allowed to grow Benjamin's ficus in the open air. But in the process of leaving it is necessary to constantly monitor the temperature at night: when it begins to fall below 15 degrees Celsius, you will have to bring a ficus into the house in the evening. In addition, you need to ensure that the room was not sharp temperature fluctuations. For your pet it will not pass without a trace, as a result you will soon be able to observe unplanned leaf fall.
The optimal temperature at which you can grow Benjamin Ficus is the range from + 18 degrees to + 30 degrees. It is in such temperature conditions that the plant will feel most comfortable. It should be remembered that for the ficus Benjamin unacceptable drafts in the room, which can also adversely affect its growth.
Watering ficus benjamin
Home care requires paying special attention to the irrigation regime. It makes no sense to give any specific recommendations in this regard, since this issue should be resolved strictly individually. The frequency of irrigation should be determined taking into account the conditions of detention and the characteristics of the cultivated variety. Therefore, the key factors that will determine the frequency of this event will be the room temperature, air humidity, flower age, as well as light and seasonality.
When caring for the ficus in the summer to determine that the time has come for the next watering, you can dry up the earthy coma. Usually at such moments the soil dries to a depth of 2-3 cm. It is necessary to grow a flower in a pot with drainage holes, so that it is possible to remove excess moisture in the pan. As it accumulates in the pallet you need to periodically delete it.
In winter, watering Benjamin's ficus should be moderate and carried out in not as large a quantity as in summer. However, at this time it is necessary to ensure that the earthen room remains wet.
Little about water
For normal flower development it is very important to use water of appropriate quality for irrigation. This can be distilled or boiled water at room temperature. If you want the ficus to get the maximum benefit from watering, it is recommended to hold it in the bathroom using warm water.
For this you will need transfer the flower to the bath, cover with plastic wrap on top, then send a warm stream of water to it within a few minutes. Having experienced a similar tropical shower, your pet should stand for some time in the bathroom, otherwise he may experience hypothermia. It is recommended to arrange such a procedure for Benjamin's ficus at least every three weeks. This method will allow not only to saturate the soil with moisture, but also to clean the leaves from dust and dirt.
Difficulties in growing indoor ficus
The presence on the leaves of the ficus whitish plaque is a definite sign that the plant is watered too abundantly.
Sometimes growers can find on the back of the leaves black dots. From this we can conclude that the care of the plant was wrong. Soon you can notice how the leaves begin to turn yellow, and the plant gradually fades.
Pests such as spider mites and scab, aphids and mealybugs can cause great damage to the plant. For effective destruction of aphids, you can use soap. To get rid of other pests by using insecticides.
Ficus Fertilizer Benjamin
The main rule that a florist who grows Benjamin's ficus in his apartment, such as planting, transplanting, pruning and feeding, must understand, should be planned during the spring sun. In other words, a new life cycle of a plant begins when heat comes.
First feeding plan for March-April, applying fertilizer to the soil no more than once a month. In May, the frequency of dressings is increased to once every three weeks. Even more increases the need for ficus fertilizers in the summer, when fertilizing is carried out every two weeks.
To provide the plant with essential nutrients, you can use specialized fertilizers that can be found in any flower shop. They can also be replaced with complex universal mixtures.
Ficus benjamin transplant
In the process of studying the features of the ficus Benjamin novice gardeners are often interested in the time in which it is recommended make a transplant this perennial plant. The need for this event may arise only in the following cases:
- ficus grows in the transport ground. This usually happens in a situation where the flower was bought in a store. But it is not recommended to keep the plant in such land for a long time, because it will not be able to develop normally in it,
- insufficient size pot. Determine that the plant is not enough space, you can protruding from the drainage hole to the roots,
- the need for new shrubs through breeding,
- the presence of fungi in the soil or signs of other diseases.
Also needed observe the frequency of transplantation ficus benjamin:
- In the first four years of life, ficus transplantation should be performed at least once in four seasons,
- instances at the age of 5 years must be replanted every 2-3 years,
- Between transplants it is necessary to update the topsoil.
For a successful transplant, you need to adhere to the following rules:
- for transplanting, it is necessary to prepare a container, which should be 3 cm larger than a pot, where a ficus had previously grown,
- The plant is most comfortable in leafy soil. It can also be replaced with a special primer, which can be found in a flower shop. Particular attention should be paid to the acidity of the soil, which should have a neutral reaction,
- before filling the pot with primer, a drainage of sufficient volume is placed into it,
- When preparing for a ficus transplant, it is not recommended to touch the clods of earth present on the perennial roots. Because of their fragility, such a procedure as cleaning the roots from the ground can severely injure the ficus, as a result it will recover for a long time after that. Experts recommend transplanting using the transshipment method. In most cases, it guarantees a high survival rate of the plant, so beginner growers can use it,
- After transplantation, it is necessary to keep the plant in a “dry” mode for two days, after which you can begin to conduct regular watering.
Benjamin Ficus is one of the most popular indoor plants, which are successfully grown at home not only experienced, but also novice growers. Many appreciated not only its decorative properties, but also unpretentiousness. However, in order to await the maximum “gratitude” from the plant, care must be planned taking into account the characteristics of this plant. Therefore, it is necessary to approach the conduct of major events with special care.
Ficus Benjamin reacts particularly well to watering and lightingTherefore, these conditions need special attention. It is also important for him and fertilizers that need to be applied in a certain amount, taking into account the specific time of year. Then in the summer, the Ficus of Benjamin will start abundant flowering, which will bring joy even to the most sophisticated plant grower.
Ficus Benjamin - description
First, we should not forget that this plant is not our latitude. It comes from the subtropical and tropical forests of India, China, and Southeast Asia. Ficus Benjamin grows in the Philippines and in the north of Australia.
Benjamin Ficus (lat. Ficus benjamina) It belongs to the evergreen plants of the family of the mulberry of the genus Ficus.
Even the indoor ficus Benjamin looks like a small tree. It has a short stem with smooth gray-beige bark. The crown is branched. Since the plant is tropical, it has numerous characteristic aerial roots. In the wild, this evergreen tree or shrub can reach heights of up to 20-30 m. Its graceful, beautiful oblong-oval leaves with a pointed apex reach a length of 6 to 13 cm, and a width of 2 to 6 cm.
Опрыскивание и полив фикуса Бенджамина.
Ещё хуже, чем слишком яркое освещение, этот фикус переносит сухость воздуха, поскольку в природе он живет в условиях повышенной влажности. However, this does not mean at all that the ficus should be watered more often and more - excessive or too abundant watering can lead to the disease of the plant root rot, with the result that its beautiful leaves will be covered with dark spots. It is necessary to water Benjamin's ficus moderately, without pouring water over it, but not waiting for it to start throwing leaves from thirst and a spider mite will settle on it. The increased air humidity is achieved by daily spraying of ficus leaves, and in the hot season - repeated.
Ficus benjamin leaves fall.
By the way, the most common problem faced by the owners of ficuses is the fall of the leaves, because there are many factors that provoke this phenomenon:
- - insufficient or excessive soil moisture,
- - dry air, temperature drops (including drafts),
- - air temperature is simply uncomfortable for ficus (below 17 ºC or above 23 ºC),
- - lack of light,
- - irrigation carried out with cold water.
All this can cause loss of ficus leaves.
Necessary care for ficus Benjamin.
And yet, despite this feature, Benjamin Ficus can be considered an unassuming plant, since it is not difficult to observe the conditions of its cultivation. Here is an approximate list of the requirements of the ficus to the owner:
- - constantly moisten the air (spray the plant 1-2 times a day),
- - keep the plant away from direct sunlight, but not in the shade,
- - moisten the soil as necessary - the earthen room should not dry out or rot from excess moisture,
- - protect the tree from drafts,
- - loosen the soil in the pot,
- - do not forget about dressings.