For cooking homemade dishes, I use various spices that I grow in my garden. I plant root parsley annually; I always manage to get a rich harvest that does not lose its beneficial properties for a long time. In this article I want to share useful tips on growing, planting and caring for this plant.
How to choose a grade
The specificity of the root parsley is that it forms a slightly thickened cylindrical or conical root. Unlike the leaf variety, greens are formed weak, have a less pronounced aroma and a rigid structure. When choosing a variety, consider the maturation period. Early parsley forms a thick and shortened root, and late - a long root crop suitable for long-term storage. Known varieties:
- Sugar. The crop ripens in 95-100 days of active vegetation. The socket consists of 20-40 leaves, the root grows up to 30 cm in length. It has a conical shape and white-grayish color. The root of the root is light yellow, has a pleasant taste,
- Fruitful. Maturation occurs on day 130. The bush is collected from 10-20 leaves of dense structure. Root of the peaked form, can grow up to 20 cm in length,
- Maroon. Late root parsley, ripening period - 130-140 days. It has a pronounced outlet of 30 leaves. The root of a beautiful cylindrical shape, the average weight - 170 g. With proper care it grows up to 35 cm,
- Berlin. The term technical maturity comes in 150-180 days. The plant has a sprawling rosette, a cone-shaped root crop. Can grow up to 4 cm in thickness, up to 20 cm in length.
When choosing planting material, it is important to consider the zoning of the variety, as well as resistance to external factors. It is advisable to purchase seeds of root parsley with high frost resistance and immunity to diseases typical of the culture.
Site selection and site preparation
Parsley is an unpretentious plant that can grow and produce a large crop in almost any conditions. Root varieties are grown as a biennial crop, so it is important to correctly choose a place. The plant needs moderate light. Suitable for planting open sunny areas with a slight darkening in the afternoon. It is necessary to observe crop rotation, parsley is not recommended to be planted in the beds, where umbrella crops have grown for a long time. The best predecessors - root vegetables, onions, cabbage.
Root parsley prefers loose and fertile soils with a neutral or slightly acidic reaction. To avoid rotting of the root, you should not plant parsley in lowlands, places with regular stagnation of water. Before planting, the site must be carefully dig at 1-1.5 depths of the spade bayonet and remove plant residues. As a top dressing for the soil, it is desirable to apply both organic matter (manure or humus at the rate of 5 kg / m 2) and the mineral composition, for example, a nitroammophos (15-25 g / m 2).
Varieties of root parsley are recommended to be planted in an open ground in the fall in the seed way. The plant has a high frost resistance, sowing is carried out until the beginning of return frost in late October. Before planting, it is recommended to soak the seeds in warm water or growth stimulant solution (Epin or Kornevin) for 30 minutes, which increases their germination. Stepwise Algorithm:
- On the prepared area mark the furrows with an interval of 20 cm, the optimum embedding depth is 1 cm.
- Sow seeds at the rate of 0.5 kg per 1 m 2. Sprinkle with a mixture of fertile garden soil and river sand on top.
- Abundantly watered landing with warm water. Cover the bed with foil, and then mulch it with peat, sawdust or straw up to 5 cm thick.
This method of growing root parsley allows you to speed up the harvest of root crops. Shelter must be removed in the spring after the snow melt and the end of frost.
Peculiarities of care
With proper selection of a site for planting and compliance with the technology of sowing, parsley grows and develops quickly. To maintain plant health and obtain a rich harvest, you should observe the following rules of care:
- thinning is carried out twice per season - at the stage of 2-3 leaves, and then after another two weeks. After the first procedure, the interval between plants should be up to 2.5 cm, after the second - 4-6 cm,
- During the season it is recommended to conduct 3-4 irrigations at the rate of 20 liters of water per 1 m 2. In dry summer, the frequency of procedures can be increased. To avoid drying out of the soil, it is permissible to spray with warm water in the morning with regularity up to 1 time per week,
- after each planned watering of the planting or after the rain, it is desirable to loosen the beds and between the rows, in order to increase the looseness and aeration of the soil,
- Only mineral compounds should be used as supplements, as organic matter leads to the stimulation of green growth. Fertilizer is desirable to make after each thinning, and then during the period of active growth of root crops. It is recommended to use a mixture of 15 g of potassium salt and 20 g of superphosphate. As an additional feeding, wood ash at the rate of 100 g / m 2 is suitable.
In addition, throughout the summer, it is important to timely weed the beds, as well as maintain the mulch, which helps to keep heat and moisture on the surface layer of the soil.
Root parsley has a high resistance to diseases and pests, infection is possible only if non-compliance with the technology of care. In the process of growing you can face the following difficulties:
- the foliage is actively growing, the root crop is not formed due to an excess of nitrogen compounds in the soil. To avoid this, it is necessary to feed phosphorus-potassium composition,
- because of the overmoistening of the soil, there is a probability of rotting of the root apex. As a preventive measure, you should add sand or peat in the process of preparing the site, observe the watering regime,
- if you do not harvest in time and wait for flowering, a large number of seeds will form on the plant. This can lead to self-seeding culture for the next season,
- crooked and small root crops are formed when the thinning technique is not followed, when there is too little space between the plants for the development of the root system.
Particularly often, problems in the cultivation of parsley appear when sowing seeds in a garden where umbrella crops used to grow. It is important to follow the rules of crop rotation and alternate planting of various plants on the site.
Harvesting and Storage
Start harvesting before the return of autumn frosts. The optimal time is the first or second decade of September, the specific period depends on the region. It is advisable to collect parsley in dry and calm weather. First you need to cut the leaves, leave up to 7 cm above the ground surface. Carefully remove the root, lay it on paper and dry for 12-18 hours, then shake off the remnants of the earth.
You can store root parsley in the cellar at a moisture content of up to 70% near carrots or beets. In shredded form (straws or slices), the roots can be stored in a dry or frozen state. To worsen the taste and not to reduce the content of useful elements, it is desirable to choose only hermetic glass containers. At observance of technology of storage parsley keeps freshness and taste till 10 months.
Sowing parsley root on the garden bed
Almost all the household and suburban areas of our country, gardeners grow root and leaf parsley of different varieties. Many housewives can not imagine cooking the best dishes without your favorite spices. Meanwhile, the cultivation of root parsley is not as easy as it may seem at first glance.
First of all, it is necessary to take into account that root parsley is a root vegetable, and all root crops require for their development loose and, at the same time, fertile soil. Good results can be achieved by planting a root crop in a crop rotation after a crop grown on a bed rich in organic matter, for example, after pumpkin crops.
Root crops can not be grown on fresh organic matter, they are bent, stratified, lose their presentation and taste.
Secondly, parsley seeds are coated, protected by inhibitors, substances that prevent premature germination of seeds. To solve the problem of slow germination of seeds using the method of stratification. Its essence is in alternate hardening at different temperatures, as if imitating natural conditions. A month before the intended sowing, in the middle lane around April 1, soaked root parsley seeds are placed in the refrigerator on the top shelf. We keep here for a week, then for a couple of days in the freezer, then again in the fridge, and so on until sowing. Residents of private houses, or owners of open balconies, can simply bury containers with moistened seeds in the snow.
Thirdly, It is important not to miss the time when you should sow parsley in open ground. Parsley, like carrots, parsnips and other umbellate, are sown in the garden by the very first crops as soon as the soil allows. This is necessary so that the seed, hitting the soil, caught all the snow moisture. For better preservation of moisture, in addition, after sowing seeds, the ridges are covered with white non-woven material. In the narrow ridges used by us, this is very easy to do by pinning the non-wrap to the box with a stapler.
Fourth, it is necessary to observe the correct location of the landings When targeting narrow, forty-five centimeters, ridges from north to south, we make two rows in width with a distance of between 20-25 centimeters. In a row, the interval should be at least five centimeters. If you sow more often, in order to avoid chopping the root parsley, it is necessary to thin the plants.
If you follow these recommendations, the seeds will turn on the seventh-tenth day. After the emergence of friendly shoots, it is necessary to remove the nonwoven material and mulch the bed with chopped plant residues. Good for this purpose suitable grass from under the trimmer. If there is still little grass, small sawdust can be used; they will not only retain moisture well, but will not allow the weeds to ascend.
We carry out dressing root parsley
In the process of growing season, the question arises: what and when to feed the root parsley? The main question here is when? Root parsley, like carrots, should be fed after a week, maximum two fields of germination. Top dressing during the formation of root crops will lead to their ugliness and loss of quality. The roots of the plant will cease to reach deep into, and will try to find "food" on the surface of the bed. But at the beginning of the growing season, you can feed once with "green manure."
Green fertilizer - an infusion of finely weeds. Different grass is put into plastic or glassware, we mainly have nettle, and it is poured with water. After a week of fermentation, we water the plants with a solution of this "byaki" in water in a ratio of one to ten.
Full parsley root harvest can be done from late September to mid-October, depending on the weather.
Sowing parsley before winter
Parsley can be sown under the winter. With this we provide ourselves with an early friendly harvest of root crops and free the hot spring time. Many wonder: when to sow parsley before winter? Sowing must be done at a stable negative temperature. In the autumn we make grooves in the beds and prepare ground or sand for backfilling. In winter, we put seeds into the prepared grooves and fill it with loose substrate. Top sleep with snow.
It is convenient to use root parsley in the winter for forcing of vitamin greens. For this root planted in high capacity, leaving above the surface about two centimeters. Water and put on the windowsill. Soon our pot will turn green and provide the family with delicious seasoning.
Briefly about varieties
Varieties of root parsley:
- Sugar - conical gray-white root vegetable, very tasty.
- Fruitful - a root crop to 100 grams with good taste.
- Maroon - a cylindrical root crop reaching a weight of 170 grams.
- Berlin - late-ripening variety, root crop up to 20 cm long and up to 4 cm in diameter.
It remains to choose the parsley root variety you like, prepare the seeds and plant them in the garden. At emergence of shoots to begin care of young plants. The result of your worries will be a good harvest of healthy greens.
08.23.2018 admin Comments No Comments
- Care and cultivation of parsley
- Root Parsley: Cultivation
- Growing parsley in a greenhouse
Growing parsley is a fairly simple thing. They can be engaged in greenhouses, in open beds, and even on the windowsill of a house. The harvest will be fragrant and tasty root vegetables, as well as healthy greens.
It is best to sow the seeds of root parsley in the second half of April, after soaking the seeds on the fabric for 3-4 days.
Care and cultivation of parsley
Parsley is best grown on fertile, loose soil. It may be slightly acidic or neutral. The plant can grow very successfully in sunny and shaded places. The beds need to be prepared in advance, even in the fall. Dig up the soil, potassium salt, manure, double superphosphate to make. With the onset of spring, potash and phosphate fertilizers are added again. Ammonium nitrate or urea is also added.
Seeds are usually sown in the second half of April. For the best result, it is advisable to soak them in advance on a cloth or gauze for 3-4 days.
Sealed parsley planting in the garden.
After sprouting, the seeds are sown in the soil. The depth of landing is usually 1-1.5 cm.
With this method, seedlings will appear after 2-3 weeks. If dry seeds are sown, the seedlings will appear only after 3-4 weeks. To receive constantly young greens, it is necessary to sow the seeds every 2-3 weeks.
The plant is cold-resistant parsley by itself. It can also be planted for the winter in November, in the event that there are no winter thaws in the region. If not, then this should not be done.
Shoots can die from cold without snow.
It should be protected from pests and diseases. Plants most often can affect onion jaundice, carrot bacteriosis, winter scoop, celery mosaic, dark nutcrack, carrot fly and slugs.
Root Parsley: Cultivation
Types of parsley: a - root, b - sugar, in - leaf.
The cultivation of parsley root has its own characteristics. Considering that she has a taproot, it is better to sow her immediately to a permanent place, without replanting. If you plan to grow parsley on the greens, the seeds can be soaked for a couple of days. But when growing root parsley soaking is better not to. Washing or soaking will remove all the potassium from the seeds, as a result the plant will be weaker.
Care is reduced to feeding, irrigation, loosening, thinning and weeding. To root crops grew as large as possible, the thinning procedure is carried out twice. The first time, the distance between the entrances is adjusted to 2.5 cm. After a couple of weeks, the second is carried out, bringing it to 4-7 cm. The plant is responsive to watering, especially during the loading season. All summer, loosen the soil and remove weeds. It is advised to hold 2-3 dressings during the growing season.
Growing at home parsley root
Some prefer to grow root parsley on the windowsill. It is convenient to use flower pots and drawers for this purpose. In a pot of medium size can fit 2-3 root vegetables. In the boxes, the distance between plantings is 3-4 cm. And between rows - 8-10 cm. Water the plants once a week.
Growing parsley in a greenhouse
The technology of growing parsley in the greenhouse is quite simple. In this case, light loamy and sod-podzolic soils are suitable. It is necessary to install good lighting in the form of fluorescent lamps and organize drip irrigation for planting. To root vegetables did not have the chance to grow ugly, you should not use compacted, heavy soil. It is better to grow parsley in a greenhouse in mobile film tunnels. Begin landing should be no earlier than the end of January. A variety of varieties may be suitable. The interval between seeds should be 10-12 cm. The seedlings will need to be thinned, leaving only one plant. The distance between shoots should be made in 2-4 cm.
Growing parsley and caring for it in the future will be reduced to removing weeds, maintaining the necessary microclimate and airing. It is necessary to avoid strong temperature drops.
If biofuel is used, then the thickness of the substrate should be 10-12 cm.
With 1 sq.m on average it turns out to grow 1 kg of greenery.
Parsley - a genus of one- and two-year grasses of the umbrella family - the most ancient vegetable plant, originating from the Mediterranean countries, - the culture is widespread almost everywhere. Parsley is grown leaf and root, which, in turn, is distinguished by the shape of the leaves. Varieties of root parsley come in with ordinary leaves and with curly.
Parsley leaves and root crops contain a large amount of proteins, carbohydrates, pectin substances, flavonoids and phytoncids, ascorbic and nicotinic acids, carotene, riboflavin, retinol, mineral salts of iron, potassium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, etc.). Вкус и аромат петрушки обязан содержащемуся в нем эфирному маслу.
Плоды петрушки используются в медицине. Листья и корни в свежем, сушеном или соленом виде используют в пищу как пряновкусовое растение.
Parsley is a healing plant. It is used as a diuretic in diseases of the kidneys and the heart, in the treatment of kidney stones, inflammation of the bladder, liver disease, and digestive disorders, food poisoning. Fresh parsley leaves are applied with the bites of bees and mosquitoes. Decoction of parsley root mixed with fresh lemon juice removes freckles. Parsley successfully destroys garlic odor.
Parsley - light-loving and cold-resistant plant. Shoots and young plants tolerate frosts, and root crops winter well under snow and give early greenery in spring. Parsley is very demanding on soil structure, its fertility and the depth of the arable layer. The best soils are light humus sandy loam and loam on the floodplains of rivers, clean from weeds.
The soil for parsley is prepared in early spring. They dig up a bed by adding half a bucket of humus per 1 m2. If the soil is clay, then make another 2 liter jars of sand and sawdust. In addition, add a tablespoon of potassium sulfate, double superphosphate, urea, and preferably about half a liter ash.
Root Parsley Cultivation and care
Salad is eaten before the main meal. This salad is recommended for people with kidney stones and thyroid disease. You can replace raw salad with tea from dry or fresh carrot and parsley leaves (1: 1). To do this, brew one table spoon of the mixture with a glass of boiling water, cover, leave for 2 hours and drink one tablespoon three times a day before meals.
Parsley root can be left to winter in the soil. In early spring there will be greens immediately, until the newly sown grows up. But wintered parsley blooms quickly. From this point on, its leaves immediately turn coarse, so the greens are edible in just two weeks.
In winter, in the apartment you can get distilled herbs from the roots of parsley and celery. To do this, it is enough to plant the roots in pots of soil, put them on the windowsill and water moderately.
What parsley is called root
This plant is two years old culture. Its height reaches one meter. In addition to the outlet forms powerful rootwhich is quite often used in cooking as a seasoning.
Stems erect and branched. The leaves are shiny dark green color of a triangular shape. The fruit has a longitudinal shape in the form of eggs.
Features of growing
Many who believe that the cultivation of this plant is quite troublesome and do not want to plant it in their area. But this statement is untrue. Since parsley care not much different from the usual varieties.
Parsley Root Cannot Be Replanted
Significant differences can be considered:
- This type of parsley has a root, then it must be planted in a permanent place of growth. It can not be transplanted.
- All gardeners know that before planting the seeds must be soaked in water for two days. But this applies only to leaf varieties. Seeds of root species do not need this. Because during the soaking potassium is washed out of the seeds, and this will lead to a weakening of the plant.
Experienced gardeners in order to emerge sooner shoots are recommended to hold seed about 30 minutes under hot water. Then dry and start landing.
Popular varieties of root parsley
Today, retail chains offer a fairly large assortment of seeds of different varieties. Among the most popular species are the following.
Sugar - the species is one of the oldest representatives. It was withdrawn in 1950. The ripening period is 95 days from germination.
Root mass reaches 75 grams. It is famous for its versatility in its tasty roots and foliage.
This late ripening variety is very popular among summer residents. Maturation occurs through 170 days after the appearance of the first shoots. Bushes are powerful and sprawling.
The mass of one fruit is 230 grams. With one square meter you can get 5 kilograms of a good and long-stored crop.
Mid-season variety ripening takes 130 days. Bushes lush sprawling with aromatic leaves.
Fruits are tapered 120 grams and 23 centimeters long. Roots can be eaten both raw and tinned. The yield is 3.5 kg per square meter.
Begin training should at the end of October. The first step is to dig up the soil and fertilize it. As for landing time, everything will depend on the weather.
Sowing should begin when the soil freeze up 2 centimeters deep. As a rule, this is the first half of November. Seed material do not pre-soakotherwise the plants will not rise until frost.
Root Parsley Seeds
During the purchase of seed should pay attention to the expiration date.
Plant care rules
As mentioned above, the care of the root parsley does not cause much trouble.
Regular weed removal is a must for proper care.
It should consist of the following items:
- Top dressing. It is one of the most important components of care. Fertilizers need to be several times a season. It should be noted that the plant loves mineral fertilizers. The first time feeding is applied after thinning. To do this, it is necessary to dilute 30-40 grams of complex fertilizer in ten liters of water. After the second thinning, 10 g of ammonium nitrate and 50 g of potassium salt or ash dissolved in a bucket of water are applied. And the third time fertilized with wood ash. Norm one glass per 1 m2.
- Watering. The norm for the season is 3-4 watering. In the case of a dry summer, their number increases. When this is poured into the soil 2 buckets of water per 1 m2. Irrigation should be carried out in the morning or evening.
- Thinning. It is held twice. The first time after the appearance of 1-2 leaves, the distance between the plants should be 3 cm. And the second after the formation of 5-6 sheets so that the distance between the plants is 10 cm.
- Loosening soil should be carried out after each watering or rain.
- Regular weed removal will ensure the likelihood of pests and diseases.
Growing parsley root is a fairly uncomplicated and interesting process. It is only important to follow the basic rules of planting care and then every summer resident can get a rich harvest. Which will delight him not only in the warm season, but also in winter.
Parsley root belongs to the umbrella family and is a biennial plant. The height of the garden crop can reach one meter. The plant has a thickened root, the shape of which is similar to the spindle. The stem is straight and can branch. Foliage has a bright green color with a smooth surface. The shape of the leaves dissected and assembled into the outlet. Flowering root parsley begins in the middle of the summer season. During this period, small yellowish-green flowers appear on the plant.
Parsley root is different from the leaf with its leaves. The root foliage has a tough taste, so it is recommended to use it to create hot dishes. Due to the high temperature the leaves acquire the necessary tenderness.
- "Sugar". This variety is considered the oldest. She was bred in 1950. The ripening period is 95 days after emergence. Root crops grow to 75 grams. This variety is characterized by its universal characteristics, has delicious roots and foliage.
- "Alba". This variety is considered late ripening. It is grown in areas of many gardeners. Parsley ripens on day 170 after emergence. Fruits reach a weight of 230 grams. On one square meter ripens up to 5 kg of a crop.
- "Yield." This is a mid-season variety of root parsley. Fruits ripen on day 130 after emergence. The plant looks like a lush and sprawling bush, on which are fragrant leaves. The fruits have a cone shape, weight reaches 120 grams, depending on the variety. Roots are eaten raw or preserved. Yields reach 3.5 kg per square meter.
What is useful and where is it applied?
The advantage of root parsley is in the following qualities:
- This plant contains vitamins A, C, K, E, B. It is also rich in niacin, riboflavin, folates, choline, as well as elements such as Ca, Fe, Mg, Mr, P, Zn, Cu.
- Among the ingredients present is limoment, myristicin, eugenol.
- The use of parsley root is indicated for people with diabetes.
- The constant use of these fruits as food affects the output of uric acid, which contributes to the development of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Many people use parsley as an anti-inflammatory agent. The plant actively fights insect bites, pain in the teeth, as well as bruises.
- The human liver also has a beneficial effect: toxins are removed, the body is cleansed.
- Due to the fact that in parsley is an increased dose of calcium, it has a beneficial effect on the work of the spine. Due to folic acid, the plant reduces the concentration of amino acids and prevents the development of osteoporosis.
- Selenium, which is present in the list of components, has a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system.
- In folk medicine, this product is used to combat prostatitis, colds, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, as well as to restore the menstrual cycle.
Parsley root is used not only as food, but also in the field of cosmetology. Many people are familiar with the whitening properties of the plant. For this reason, parsley extract is often found in creams, lotions, and skin tonics.
Growing root parsley under the power of every gardener. To grow a good crop, you need to learn the basic rules of agricultural technology.
In the open ground parsley should feel comfortable.
The landing site is selected based on several criteria.
- Landing should be made in the solar zone area. Also need to provide her protection from drafts and strong winds.
- Do not plant parsley after carrots, coriander or dill.
- Undesirable cultivation on heavy or clay soil.
- It is not recommended to sow parsley immediately after adding manure. This is due to the fact that the roots can branch.
When the site is selected, you should proceed to the preparation. Such activities can be done in the fall. This will require digging the site, the addition of humus. In the spring a place for landing will be ready. Additionally, it is recommended to add complex fertilizers to the soil, after which you can plant seedlings or seeds.
These plants do not tend to germinate quickly from seed. Therefore, grains should be prepared.
Seeds are soaked in water for two days. The procedure is performed two weeks before landing. Twice a day it is necessary to replace the fluid.
While in liquid, seeds swell. After that, they are washed and poured a layer of small thickness on the gauze. The room must be kept warm temperature. On the fifth day, the seeds begin to germinate. After that, you need to remove them in the refrigerator for 12 days. Then the grains are dried to a flowing state.
Land should be prepared in the fall. It is allowed to add 5 kg of humus per square meter, 30 g of potassium salt or double superphosphate. In the spring, any phosphate or potash fertilizer will be required along with 50 g of ammonium nitrate.
Root parsley should be transplanted to a prepared garden bed. For these purposes, you should dig and equip small furrows (depth 2 cm). The minimum distance between each row should be equal to 20 cm. Then fresh planting should be watered.
To exclude instantaneous evaporation of moisture, the bed is covered with a film for a short time. If there is no winter thaw in the city where the garden crop is planted, planting of seeds in the autumn season is allowed. Seeds planted in the spring, begin to germinate after a couple of weeks.
Many gardeners believe that root parsley does not tolerate transplanting. This is due to the fact that the roots are injured during a dive, so the harvest will not be good. The truth in this opinion is present. Every summer resident should be aware that a dive is allowed to be carried out only if there is a high-quality earthen dressing around the root system.
If you plan to grow through seedlings, you should be familiar with the following features:
- sowing of seeds is done in the second decade of March,
- it is necessary to prepare the necessary container, purchase ready-made soil, or make a nutrient mixture with your own hands,
- It is necessary to grow up seedlings at a temperature mode which makes 23-25 degrees,
- during this period, it is necessary to monitor the moisture level, drying of the soil is not allowed,
- when the first green leaf is visible on the surface, the temperature should be lowered to 18 degrees,
- in the second decade of May, it is possible to start transplanting sprouts for permanent residence.
With this method, you can get the root parsley using the seedling method. Most people grow a plant on the windowsill with this method.
Root parsley will require systematic weeding along with loosening the beds. Also required to remove weeds. The first loosening should not be too deep - a maximum immersion of 5-6 cm is allowed. Further loosening is allowed to a depth of 15 cm. To ensure a good flow of air, after irrigation, loosen the ground between the rows.
To root parsley pleased good yield, it will require thinning. This procedure is necessary for the root crops to produce full-fledged fruits that have enough space for growth. The first thinning is done immediately after the seedlings sprout. Between plants should leave a distance of 2 cm.
A second thinning will be necessary in two weeks. At this stage, the parsley will already grow and be strong. The distance between the seedlings should be 6 cm.
Parsley root grows best if it is watered regularly. Despite the fact that the plant is unpretentious, this procedure should be carried out continuously.
When watering the following rules should be followed:
- watering should be done in the morning or in the evening,
- Do not allow water to enter the sheet outlet, as it is prone to damage,
- in wet weather it is recommended to reduce the number of waterings,
- during fruit ripening, watering should be increased (in August),
- one square meter will require about 20 liters of water.
Root parsley should be periodically fed. Many gardeners inject feed at a very early stage of development, before the parsley has blossomed and formed inflorescence. To do this, use nitrogen or potassium supplements.
The first time you can feed the plant at a time when several green leaves have formed on the surface of the earth. To do this, use 15 g of ammonium nitrate. The second feed is introduced after three weeks. This will require about 5 g of ammonium nitrate, 10 g of superphosphates and 5 g of potassium salt. The dosage is designed for one square meter.
Before you grow root parsley in the garden, you need to prepare for the seeds of a fertile piece of land in a sunny spot or in partial shade.
If the earth is poor in nutrients, there are two ways to enrich it:
- Spring. In the spring, before planting, we introduce phosphate fertilizer into the soil, which is very much loved by parsley: you will need 3 tbsp of 1 linear meter. superphosphate. We also fertilize the bed with wood ash (there is a lot of potassium there) - we take a glass of ash for each running meter.
- Autumn. In the autumn we dig a bed, introducing humus at the rate of 5 kg per 1m². In addition, mineral fertilizers can be added in the spring in the manner described above.
Parsley root: growing from seed
Growing root parsley in the open field involves planting seeds directly in the garden - without seedlings. Since this plant is resistant to cold, we sow seeds in March-April.
Seeds germinate very slowly and speed up the emergence of seedlings by artificial means. We act like this:
- Soak the seeds in warm water and wait 2 days.
- Planting seeds in the garden, making grooves 1 cm deep. The distance between the rows is 15 cm.
This procedure allows you to get the seedlings on the fifth day after sowing the seeds. Now you know when you can sow root parsley in open ground, and now learn how to care for it.
Root Parsley Care
Caring for this plant consists of feeding, timely watering, thinning seedlings, loosening between rows and weeding.
Consider in detail all the steps:
- Thinning seedlings. After the emergence of sprouts, we necessarily thin the seedlings so that the distance between them is no more than 3 cm. To obtain larger roots, repeat the procedure after 2 weeks, leaving a distance between 7 cm sprouts.
- Weeding and loosening parsley. So that weeds do not take away nutrients from shoots, do not stifle growth and do not transfer dangerous diseases to the site, regularly weed them and immediately loosen the row spacing.
- Watering. Поливаем всходы на начальном этапе роста – утром и вечером, когда не «жарит» солнце. Позже регулярный полив потребуется только в августе, когда корнеплоды набирают массу.
- Подкормка корневой петрушки. Летом троекратно подкармливаем растения фосфорно-калийными удобрениями.
As you can see, the cultivation of root parsley does not require special wisdom, - it can be done even by an inexperienced gardener.
Parsley root sugar: growing in a greenhouse
If you want to grow parsley in a greenhouse way, wood-podzolic or light loamy soil is suitable for it. The main thing is that it is not heavy and compacted: in such a land, the roots will be crooked and inconvenient to use and store.
In order for parsley to grow well in a greenhouse, it needs two conditions:
- Regular watering. Ideally, this should be a drip irrigation of plants, provided by the drip system. Of course, you can do with a watering can, the main thing is not to re-moisten the soil so that it does not acid.
- Good lighting. To provide seedlings with sufficient lighting, we use fluorescent lamps.
You can sow seeds in a greenhouse at the end of January. We make shallow grooves and sow the seeds, leaving a distance of about 10 cm between them. After the sprouts appear, we thin them out so that a gap of 4 cm remains between them.
It is also important to air the greenhouse from time to time in order to provide the plants with a healthy microclimate and to clean the soil from weeds.
Parsley root: growing on the windowsill
Growing root parsley on the window is a complicated matter. If you venture on this experiment, follow this plan:
- Choosing a place to land. Loggia and balcony are excluded - only the window sill will do. We buy a wide box or flower pots of medium size (3 root crops come in one pot).
- We sow seeds in fertile soil. If parsley grows in a box, the distance between the rows should be 7-8 cm, between plantings - 5 cm.
- We pour parsley 1-2 times a week.
Regularly ventilate the room where the parsley box is located and protect the plants from drafts.
Varieties of root parsley for sowing the winter
The following varieties of parsley are suitable for sowing this plant in late autumn:
Podzimny sowing of parsley root will give friendly shoots and a good harvest, if you sow it in time in a well prepared soil.
Site selection and soil preparation
It is best to plant a winter parsley well suited to the sun and not flooded with spring water and heavy rains plot. It should also be protected from cold winds. It is advisable to sow the seeds in the garden after tomatoes, early cabbage, onions, garlic or cucumbers. You can not sow parsley on carrots: it is permissible only after three years.
In August, prepare the plot for sowing seeds. After removing the crop of vegetables, we fertilize the land with rotted manure, digging it to a depth of about 25 cm, after we level the bed.
Prepare a backfill for seeds by mixing sand and soil with humus, and remove it for storage in a shed or other enclosed space.
The process of planting winter parsley
- In the evening before the landing day, cut the grooves with a depth of no more than 2.5 cm.
- In the morning we put dry seeds into the frozen frost - 35 seed plants per 1 sq. M. land.
- Fall asleep seeds ready filling, which was previously stored in the barn, a layer of not more than 3 cm thick.
- We mulch the bed with peat or a thin layer of compost so that it does not come out in the spring with a crust.
- If the temperature drops rapidly, and the snow still does not lie, we cover the ground with lapnik and dry foliage.
We do not water the beds, so as not to ruin the plants: the seeds swell and sprout, which simply die from hypothermia. In spring we also refrain from watering, as there will be a lot of water after the snow melts.
In early spring, we rake leaves and spruce branches, and after the snow melts we cover the site with a covering material. After the emergence of shoots loose soil. Knowing how to grow root parsley during normal planting, we also take care of plants when planted before winter.
Winter sowing is good because when it shoots appear a couple of weeks earlier than during spring sowing, and will be more resistant to diseases.
Now you know that root parsley, the cultivation and care of which is very simple, can be cultivated even by inexperienced gardeners. Grow this healthy plant on your plot, and on your table there will always be fresh fragrant greens and tasty roots for borscht!
Parsley root sugar. Outdoor cultivation
Parsley - unpretentious frost-resistant plant. Collection of greenery begins in early spring and continues until the first snow. Cultivation and care does not require special skills, but a few rules must be followed:
- Planting root parsley It’s best to start by choosing a site. This plant loves sunshine so the place for garden beds should be as open as possible, but also protected from the wind.
- Welcome if in the previous season on the selected site grew: potatoes, cucumbers, cabbage, tomatoes. It is possible to prepare the soil in the fall by fertilizing the soil with manure with the calculation of 5 kg per 1 m2.
- Spring recommended add potassium salt and superphosphate.
- Constantly change the landing site parsley with an interval of 3-4 years. This is necessary in order for the plant to hurt less.
Parsley root is a biennial plant of the umbrella family. In the first year, greens and root vegetables are harvested, and in the second year, seeds are collected. It is possible to grow root sugar parsley from both seeds and their roots. In the first case, dry seeds are used, but then the seedlings will have to wait a long time. This method is better to apply for winter in frozen ground to warm the beds with wood shavings or straw.
In order to get quick shoots in spring, seeds should be soaked in warm water for 1-2 days, changing the water periodically. Then sow in the soil.
For the most impatient there is a way to plant seedlings already germinated. In this case, the grains are soaked for a day in 0.2% manganese, then they are shifted to wet gauze before sprouting, and then sown. You also need to know that in order to obtain a high-quality root crop, you should not soak the seeds longer than 30 minutes.
The best time to plant root parsley is mid-April - early May. By this time, the sun will warm the earth deeply. If the plot was fertilized in the fall, the land will become loose and obedient, which will positively affect the growth and quality of the crop. The knob should be grooved with a depth of 1–2 cm. Between the grooves there should be a distance of at least 15–20 cm. Rows should be filled with water and after it has been sown, sow the seeds. Cover the ground lightly tamp and sprinkle with humus.
After the appearance of the first shoots of parsley should be thinned leaving a distance of 2-3 cm between the plants. After 10–15 days, repeat the procedure by increasing the distance between shoots to 6–7 cm. As a result, you will get even and large root vegetables.
Great importance when growing root sugar parsley has the correct watering. In the first days in the absence of rain, seedlings require frequent watering. But do not overdo it otherwise the root system podgnet. The best time for watering is morning or evening. In these hours, the sun is not so active the soil will thoroughly absorb moisture and the plants will “pour out”.
When the sprouts get stronger, reduce the frequency of watering, but do not forget to loosen and weed. Weeds carry various diseases and attract harmful insects. Some types of weeds negatively affect the tubers without allowing the root to fully develop.
To obtain a rich harvest in the summer period, it is recommended to “feed up” root parsley 3 times with mineral fertilizers containing potassium and phosphorus 3 times. Be sure to fertilize in August when the ripening of the root crop enters the active phase.
The best neighbors of root parsley will be related plants such as dill carrots and other members of the umbrella family.
For the uninterrupted collection of fresh greens, plant several beds at intervals of 2–3 weeks.
To preserve parsley for the winter greens should be dried and put into a paper bag. Root vegetables also dry and sprinkled with sand to clean in a dark cool place.
Growing root parsley at home
To grow root sugar parsley at home from the seeds, prepare a box in which, above the drainage layer, fill the ground with fertilizer. Instead of a drawer, you can use a wide flower pot. Make holes and plant one seed into each. The distance between the holes is acceptable 3-5 cm. Cover with foil and set aside in a dark place. Remove the film from time to time. In cloudy weather so that the seedlings do not stretch it is necessary to put it under fluorescent lamps.
After the emergence of shoots, put the box on the window sill, but not in the draft. Water moderately at room temperature, but do not fill. Loosen the ground if a crust appears, periodically ventilate the room and remove sprouted weeds. With proper care, fragrant green bouquets of parsley will grow on your windowsill, the leaves of which you can eat all year round.
You can grow parsley at home from root vegetables. To do this, place 2–3 roots in a pot leaving the top above the ground. Pay attention to the fact that the fruit was not crowded. The first days of abundant water. Further care is described above.
Parsley root sugar. Growing in a greenhouse
To grow root parsley in a greenhouse, it is important to take care of the soil. Prepare loose tree-podzolic or slightly loamy soil for comfortable development of root crops. In late January, sow the seeds. Thaw the seedlings 2 times as when planted in open ground, but leave a distance of 4–5 cm a second time. Fluorescent lighting is ideal, and watering is better to replace with drip irrigation. Ventilate the greenhouse, providing fresh air, but avoid sudden changes in temperature, or seedling development will slow down. Spend weeding and loosening as needed.
Possible diseases and pests of parsley root
- Aphid. Get rid of help infusion of dandelion. Place dandelion roots and leaves in warm water for 3 hours. Treat affected seedlings.
- Carrot fly. To combat it, you need to prepare an infusion of orange peels and pour it over the plants.
- Peronosporos (False Flour Dew). This disease will have to remove the damaged plants.
- Rust. To combat this disease, use copper oxychloride or Bordeaux mixture.
Now you know how to properly grow sugar parsley root. We wish you a rich harvest and good health.