Unusually beautiful plant - hoya (wax ivy). Can I keep this evergreen vine at home, we will tell below. Hoya as a popular houseplant is widely distributed not only in our country, but throughout the world. With proper and at the same time not at all difficult care, she will certainly thank her owner with delightful wax-like flowers. Flowering lasts a long time, about six months.
Waxy ivy is an evergreen vine with ligneous shoots. Its leaves are oval, dark green, shiny, fleshy. The flowers are fragrant, star-like, as if made of wax (hence the name), collected in umbrellas. The color of the petals varies from white to pink, the tops of the anthers (the central part of the flower) are wine-red or dark pink.
The plant blooms in summer and autumn. During the year, may bloom repeatedly. In the inflorescence - up to twenty flowers that produce a significant amount of sweet nectar.
Hoya (wax ivy): can I keep at home?
This plant is most often grown in offices and offices, and not in apartments, and the reason for this is superstition. People have long believed that Hoya survives a husband from a family and drives out adult sons from home. At the same time, other sources, no less convincing, argue that wax ivy pacifies envy and relieves offense. Some publications say that this is a plant of family happiness, which is desirable to put in the bedroom. So what to believe?
Maybe try to grow hoyu at home and thus clarify the extent to which it affects fate? You decide. For those who still decided to acquire this cozy plant with beautiful flowers, we will tell you how to plant it and take care of it.
Hoya (wax ivy) prefers as a mixture of soil from leaf, sod land, sand and humus, taken in equal parts. For drainage should be placed on the bottom of the pot expanded clay or shards of shards. Capacity for the plant should not be chosen too spacious, otherwise it will only increase the length of the shoots, and bloom soon.
It is necessary to replant young hoya every year in spring. Adult wax ivy needs to be transplanted once every three years. To do this, be sure to use the new pot, not the one where any other plant was grown. In any case, before changing the hoi, the container must be thoroughly washed with detergent without harmful additives, such as, for example, chlorine.
In the warm season, the optimum temperature for a plant is + 22 ... + 25 degrees, in autumn and winter it is better to keep it at lower temperatures - + 12 ... + 14 degrees. However, as practice shows, increased heat hoy does not harm. In the summer, the plant ivy wax feels great outside.
This evergreen vine loves the light and is even able to withstand direct sunlight, but this does not mean that you have to keep it in the hot sun. The leaves from the sun's rays fade to yellow and burns, and this is not good. Great place for plants - western and eastern windows. However, its large portion of light hoya (wax ivy) must necessarily receive. This is especially important in the spring, when budding starts. If there is a lack of light, the plant will not bloom!
Ivy wax: home care
From March to October, hoya should be watered abundantly as soon as the topsoil dries. In winter, watering can be done less frequently - three or four days after drying, but you should not allow complete dryness of the earth coma. If watering is insufficient, part of the roots will wither away and wax ivy with the onset of spring will begin to update them, spending power. As a result, as well as due to lack of nutrition, flowering will not occur.
Another important point in the care - bathing. It must be produced twice a year: in autumn and spring. Bathe the plant as follows. It is completely immersed in a container with warm water (about 40 degrees) and so held for forty minutes, after which the stems are removed from the water, and the pot is left in it for another hour and a half. Procedures of this kind well strengthen wax ivy. Care, meanwhile, still requires the implementation of feeding.
Growing from seed
In the harvest year, the well-dried, ripened seeds of wax ivy are sifted into a loose substrate, which consists of cut peat moss and an earth mixture. Already within a week they germinate, and when shoots appear, it is necessary to ensure that the soil never dries out in sowings and at the same time is not wet. Keep a bowl with seedlings in a bright warm place. Spray the seedlings for the prevention of fungal diseases with some copper-containing drug, for example, Bordeaux mixture. After ninety days, the seedlings, which have released several pairs of leaves, are planted in pots.
It is worth noting that the cultivation of wax ivy from seeds is difficult, since no seed can be found on sale, but it is almost impossible to take it from the growing hoya house.
Reproduction by cuttings
This is the most reliable and easy way to get a new plant, since cuttings root easily. They should be short, with two nodes and one or two pairs of leaves. Cuttings can be rooted in the substrate or water. When using water, wrap the container with foil on all sides, making holes for the cuttings. Leave only the upper pair of leaves on them, process the lower sections with the root hormone and through the holes in the foil push the cuttings to such a depth that the lower node is in the water. Rooting requires a temperature not higher than 22 degrees, but there must also be an increased air humidity, otherwise the cuttings will simply fade. To increase the humidity, put a transparent plastic bag on the container with cuttings, without blocking the access of air under it. Rooting occurs after about two weeks, it is important to transplant the cutting to a permanent place at the early stage of root formation, otherwise it will become fragile and break.
How to make hoya bloom
As a rule, the reasons for the lack of flowering lie in excessive feeding, wintering in a very warm room, lack of lighting, too pruning. What to do, is wax ivy not blooming? It is necessary to correct care errors: in the winter, let the plant rest in a cool room, stop feeding and reduce watering, and in the spring put hoya in a warm place under a diffused bright light, restarting watering and fertilization.
Liana is associated with some whip, so hoye attributed to the ability to negatively influence a person’s personal and professional life. Some argue that hoya can destroy marital happiness, lead its owner to loneliness, expel lash from the house of his beloved people.
Many are categorically opposed to hoya decorating an office - as if it could interfere with career growth and even destroy a business. There are also opinions that it releases harmful substances into the air, and it cannot be kept in the bedroom - pressure will rise, irritation of the respiratory tract will appear.
Why do people think that hoyu can not be raised in an apartment?
All these superstitions were born because of the transfer of the qualities of ivy to ivy and other wax vines. The first one is a parasite in nature: it twists its trunks and tree branches with its roots, feeds on their sap and can cause them to die.
To destroy your personal life by planting and growing a flower is an assertion, devoid of any logic. As well as spoil your career, decorating the workplace with greenery and flowering vines. To take care of the flowers and surround yourself with them, to contact with the earth - as a rule, such activities calm and tune in a peace-loving way. This is very useful both for personal life and for the work environment.
well and the fact that hoya can poison the air is partly true for allergy suffererspollen-sensitive flowering plants. The smell of its flowers is really intense and in high concentration can cause a headache.
A photo of the flower can be found below, it will help you make an informed choice: whether to keep wax ivy at home is an unusual and beautiful plant.
Is it poisonous houseplant?
Vine juice really contains toxic substances.. In humans, it can cause a mucosal burn or severe allergies. Contact with it can cause more serious consequences for children and pets, so it is necessary to protect them from contact with the flower.
Milk from a broken stalk or leaf becomes very viscous and freezes, so hoya tends to protect herself. And if it gets on the mucous or in the eye, the situation takes a dangerous turn and you will need the help of a doctor.
In general, hoya is quite unpretentious, but there is a small list of conditions for its content:
- Lighting. Bright, before and after noon, direct rays are possible, but from a very bright sun the flower is best to shade. Optimal placement - on the western or eastern windows. In the north, the flower will not be able to bloom.
- Temperature. Hoya loves warmth, but successfully adapts to cool rooms. The optimum temperature mode is + 17-25 ° C, a short-term decrease to + 15 ° C is possible. In winter, the temperature in the room where Hoya is located should not exceed + 16 ° C.
- Land. Soil pH should not exceed 6.5. Drainage is also required. For hoyi, a primer for orchids is suitable, but you can make this mixture yourself:
- leaf ground (2 kg),
- turf (1 kg),
- humus (800 g),
- river sand (500 g).
- Pot. Material for the pot can be any, much more important volume. For a long and lush flowering pot is needed close, and for the growth of greenery more spacious.
- Fertilizer. It is best to use complex fertilizers in spring and summer. Suitable fertilizer for flowering succulents. Nitrous is necessary if hoi leaves curl and fall, and plant growth slows down.
- Watering. From spring to autumn plentiful. You can spray hoya very carefully so that water does not get on the flowers. It is better to water in the afternoon when the brightness of the sun decreases. Before and after flowering, you can refresh the plant by immersing in warm water for half an hour.
- Transfer. Substitution is recommended every three years. This event requires special care because of the long flower stalks.
- Pruning. Hoya bush formation is done after flowering. In addition, too long shoots become weak and dry up, and by shortening them, you can return the plant vigor.
How to take care of hoya at home can be found here, and from this article you will learn about the methods of plant reproduction, as well as the subsequent care of him.
Special conditions of detention
- Hoje need a strong support for the development of stems:
- coconut bollards,
- wooden lattices.
An interesting observation: the turns go more often counterclockwise.
Parasites and Vampires
People are often afraid to keep climbing plants in the house. It is believed that they absorb the energy of living people. Therefore, earlier ordinary ivy and wild grapes were planted near the entrance to the house, so that it would not let in other people's negative energy into the home of the owners.
Unknowingly hoyu is also called ivy, only waxy. Therefore, it is believed that this plant is also an energy vampire.
It is not a parasite and lives only at the expense of its root system. Other indoor flowers grow beautifully next to this liana, and people, even the most sensitive, do not experience any discomfort.
Is the flower to blame for human troubles?
You can often hear that hoya brings misfortune to the house. Many witnesses claim that when this plant appeared in their apartment, family troubles and diseases of family members began immediately. But it was enough to get rid of him, as soon as everything fell into place.
Most likely, the plant is not to blame for the troubles. And those who do not have personal relationships tend to look for the cause anywhere, but not in themselves.
Plant expelling men
Hoya also enjoys notoriety as a plant that repels male representatives. Therefore, it is not recommended to start girls or unmarried women.
People claim that a woman will not marry a hoya in an apartmentand if there are adult sons in the family, they will most likely leave home.
In general, according to superstitious people, not only hoya has such terrible power, but many other indoor plants, which are called “muzhegons”. Of course, the flowers are not to blame. Human relations are built by people themselves, and plants can neither help them nor prevent them.
Flower of family happiness
Often opinions about wax ivy are very contradictory. On the one hand, it is impossible to start a family with him, on the other hand, this flower is considered a pledge of family well-being. They say that you need to put hoyu in the bedroom so that the marriage union is strong all his life.
Those who at the same time develop good relations in the family, consider the flower to be their talisman. For others, things are much worse, and the flower is ruthlessly destroyed, and the opinion about it spreads the most negative.
Is the plant dangerous?
People cannot live without superstition. But look at wax ivy objectively. Is this plant dangerous for humans or not? According to the results of numerous studies, this plant is not poisonous, does not emit any harmful substances that can damage human health. Therefore, hoya is absolutely harmless.
The only danger lies in hoi flowers that spread a strong enough fragrance..
Despite the pleasant smell, this vine should not be kept in a study or other small room if there are people in the family who are allergic to flowers. If you arrange the plant in the spacious living room, the smell of its flowers will not hurt anyone.
Read more about the harmful plants here.
Can I keep in the house?
Despite the many prejudices associated with this plant, true lovers of flowers do not cease to breed ivy at home. However, if you look objectively, in fact, this plant can not cause any serious harm.
The only thing that should be remembered before you get the wax ivy hoya is that the plant very strong fragrance of flowers. Therefore, with extreme caution, ivy should be kept for people who are allergic to flowers. In this case, it is best to place the flower in the common room, for example, in the hall or living room. Also, it is perfect for decorating office space.
In addition, it is important to note the fact that hoya refers to poisonous plants. That is, the stem, leaves and even flowers of ivy contain poisonous juice. Therefore, if there are small children or animals in the house who like to try everything on the tongue, it is best to refrain from breeding the culture. In extreme cases, the flower should be placed so that children or animals do not have access to it. To do this, it is enough to put the pot with a flower higher or fix it on the wall.
For the rest, the flower does not carry any real danger. And if you follow all the rules of plant care, for many years it will delight its owners with a long flowering.
How to work with ivy to protect yourself?
Penetrating plant sap on wounds or eye mucosa can lead to unpleasant consequences. Therefore, in order to protect yourself, you must take certain measures:
- It is recommended to do flower transplantation only in gloves, which will help prevent direct contact with the plant surface,
- after taking care of the plant or touching it, hands should be thoroughly washed,
- if, however, the juice of the plant got on the wound or mucous membrane of the eye, it is necessary to immediately rinse it under a stream of clean running water, after which the eyes should be dripped with any antibacterial drops and take an antihistamine for prevention
- in life there are different situations, and it is possible the penetration of parts of the hoya into the stomach. If this suddenly happened, you must try to induce the gag reflex, and then take activated charcoal. If the condition does not improve, you may need an ambulance call.
You can avoid unpleasant consequences if you work with a flower carefully and follow simple security measures.
Basic rules for growing
To grow a big beautiful flower, it is enough to take note of a few rules of growing hoya.
- After acquiring the plant it immediately need to be transplanted into a larger pot with pre-prepared soil. To do this, you can independently prepare a nutritional composition. It is necessary to take in equal proportions turf, peat, sand, leaf soil and humus, mix everything up, then add a little drainage from pebbles or expanded clay to the bottom of the pot, and you can plant a flower.
- Лучшее место для произрастания растения в весенне-летний сезон – это подоконник с западной либо восточной стороны квартиры. Зимой горшок лучше всего переместить на южную сторону. Если поставить его на северную сторону, цветок вряд ли зацветёт, несмотря на активный рост.
- In order to prevent the leaves and flowers from dropping and yellowing, in very hot weather it is best to rearrange it from the window sill to another place, since heat contributes to growth inhibition.
- You do not have to do the Hoya transplantation every year. At home it is enough to do a transplant only once in a couple of years, while the soil is not necessary to change, as the plant is very unpretentious. For the intensive growth of the flower, it should be transplanted to a larger capacity than the previous one.
Description and characteristics
Lastellium semi-shrubs with climbing vines include an interesting look hoya.
Such an unusual name was given to a flower by the name of a gardener who was the first to master the subtleties of caring for an exotic handsome man. The name of this man is Thomas Hoya.
The plant is lianovidny, with fast-growing representatives of the stem can reach ten meters in length. Wax ivy is a very popular cultivar in the household. The stems are decorated with aerial roots and fleshy shiny leaves.
Interesting fact. At the very beginning of growth, the liana is soft and obedient, but with age it begins to harden and will be very reluctant to change shape.
Hoya attracts the attention of gardeners not only with beautiful leaves, but also with flowers like snow-white or pink stars with a delicate aroma, gathered in spherical baskets. In the central part of the flower you can see a peculiar decoration in the form of a crown of a bright or dark shade.
During flowering, the plant can not be disturbed, namely, to engage in its rearrangement or deployment. Such treatment will end with the discharge of the buds and the absence of flowering in the warm period.
A distinctive feature of this type is the presence of a delicate aroma at night. The plant will admire with its beauty all summer months and half of autumn. Fast-growing unpretentious vines have become a familiar decoration of official institutions. But about the content hoyi at home there is no definite answer.
Flower hoya wax ivy can you keep at home
Curious delusion. According to legends, many plants have mystical properties. This also applies to indoor ivy, which entwines its fellows and deprives them of sunlight.
Here it is more appropriate to place the blame on the careless grower who allowed the vines to thrive. For room dwellers tend to create comfort and engage in the absorption of harmful substances. And many poisonous varieties, once on the window, acquire healing properties.
Ivy will not inhibit the growth of their fellows. However, for the flower you need to take proper care to prevent the random growth of the vine, which will be able to cling to any roughness. For the direction of the stems are special stands.
Meaty Hoya carnosa
Wax ivy hoya karnoza (photo). Hoya carnosa is an evergreen vine that can reach six meters in length. Normal flower growth is recommended to provide the creation of special supports. The leaves are quite stiff to the touch, small in size, have the shape of ovals, in addition, they are interesting for their thickness and the presence of a wax coating. Over dark green background silver specks are comingwhose presence some people attribute to the manifestation of a disease, however, This is a normal natural coloring. Flowers with a delicate aroma are collected in white sockets with an internal pink crown.
Hoya fleshy home care likes simple. The plant has endurance, it is not afraid of dry soil, the presence of high temperature indicators in the winter months, although it prefers cool at this time of year. It is not fastidious to the soil composition, it can grow in a shaded place, but it will prefer the sunny part of the house for flowering.
The varieties of potatoes include several beautiful varieties:
- vegetative with dark green foliage and slender beige-pink color. Called Crimson Queen,
- tricolor or hoya tricolor. The variety is characterized by the presence of scarlet flowers and leaves of different color. They are cream, pink, dark green. It is called "Exotic".
- hoya compact with small leaves has a rather exotic appearance, which is attached to it twisted like curls of little leaves with different shapes.
Hoya Bella Hoya bella
Beautiful hoya refers to a highly forked shrub, with droops hanging down, which makes the plant ampelous. For cultivation, as a rule, use hanging pots and baskets. The leaves are lanceolate-ovate, for which the name is also given - lanceolate, have a small size. May be green or variegated color depends on the variety.
Because of the grace of the flower, the beautiful can be considered a true natural masterpiece. The inflorescence in the form of an umbrella is represented by snow-white flowers decorated with purple crowns. In contrast, the meaty is more thermophilic species. In winter time, the temperature should not fall below the dash +16 degrees and the plant is very negative to overflows. If you create all the appropriate conditions for it and provide it with proper lighting, you will surely respond with year-round bloom to such care.
Lacunosa Hoya lacunosa
Concave or pit can be found in the form of epiphyte, but in the room the plant takes the form of a cascade thanks to densely growing scourges. Diamond-shaped leaflets have wrapped edges, which gives the impression that it rolls inward. The color of the shoots is brownish-red, and they end in dark green leaves reaching a length of 6 cm. Umbrella inflorescences of the type with light petals and a fuzzy yellow core.
Heart of Kerry Hoya kerrii
With high probability it can be called an original gift that will suit your loved one. Liana has leaves whose form resembles a heart, these “hearts” are encountered before the notorious holiday of love. Due to this structure, two more names appeared: “hoya in love”, “valentine”.
Hoya Kerry care at home prefers intricate. In order to prevent the tipping of the pot for long lashes you need to come up with a garter, otherwise they will simply turn over the container with its mass. The flower has fleshy leaves that have a difference in size in length and width from 5 to 15 cm. Spherical umbrella collects 15 - 25 fluffy flowers in itself. It is interesting that their color will depend on the light mode in the room. Shades varied: from pale pink to lemon.
If you wish, you can set up an experiment and transfer the plant from the window, and then a different shade will appear on the flowers, and if you return it, the color will change again. In old lianas, a large amount of nectar is released, which has the peculiarity of coloring petals. Initially they will be pink, then red and then brown.
Hoya regal Hoya imperialis
Curly vines with fluffy shoots and flower stalks are called majestic hoya. Smooth, leathery leaves have an oval shape next to the petiole, and pointed at the top. The length can be from 15 to 20 cm. The beauty of flowers fully justifies the specific name. They are large in size, purple with light greens on the outer petals and endowed with a pleasant, sweet smell. The beginning of the appearance of flowers with fluffy crowns at Imperialis falls on June. Great interest in the garden form of Rausch, here the color of flowers is fiery red.
South Hoya australis
In the southern variety, the length of the shoots reaches a six-meter size and at the same time after some time they begin to woody.
The plant has rounded, shiny, leathery leaves, reaching 8 centimeters in length and 5 centimeters in width.
The inflorescence is a small umbrella that includes about 25 odorous flowers. The color of the petals is white, and the base is crimson with a white crown.
Shiny petals slightly pubescent, and with prolonged flowering begin to bend back along the edges. The appearance of flowers is in October.
Long-leafed Hoya longifolia
As an epiphytic shrub can be found in nature long-leaved beauty. The plant has lanceolate leathery leaves with sharp tops and thin curling shoots. The length of the first is about 18 cm, and the width does not exceed 1 cm. The color of small flowers is light, the outer side of the petals is pubescent. The color of the crown is white, but the central part is carmine.
Hoya care at home
The beauty does not need an annual transplant, it can be done every couple of years.
The plant needs special soil, and therefore it is recommended to engage in transplanting immediately after purchase. In addition, often in specialized stores ivy could make a stimulating dressing so that it would not lose its shape.
The soil should be:
- have good water permeability
- neutral or slightly acidic soil.
There is an opinion that high-quality garden soil with the addition of sand is suitable for ivy. It is advisable to decontaminate it before planting in order to protect yourself against the occurrence of problems with infection.
But still the best solution would be to prepare a mixture of the following composition:
- leaf soil is twice the size of other ingredients.
Requirements for the light mode
In a shaded place, the green parts will grow beautifully, but for flowering you need light, because wax ivy is a light-dependent creation.
In order to properly grow one or another species, it is necessary individually, each to prepare a bright area. It is necessary not to forget to take care of protection from direct sun exposure with the onset of summer, but at the same time to prevent shading. The most ideal place will be a window facing east or west. In the first winter month, the pot can be transferred to the southern room, but the plant remaining in the field will not suffer either. A sharp increase in light activity in the spring can harm the beauty, so it is recommended to gradually adapt it to new conditions.
Important! The plant does not transfer the permutation to another place during the formation of buds and the entire period up to half of flowering.
Properly selected temperature
For room creepers is not so difficult to find a comfortable temperature. Liana will feel fine with average room rates. Extreme heat is also not a hindrance to it, but the best thing is if the thermometer mark is at + 18 - + 20 degrees.
Year-round cultivation can be carried out in room conditions, but when November comes, it is recommended to reduce the temperature by a couple of degrees and leave it until February. The minimum allowable value for creepers +12 - +15 degrees will suit most species. But hoya bella will require +18.
Do not deprive the plant of fresh air. A room with vines should be regularly ventilated. Take out a flower to a balcony or loggia. If winter is necessary outside the windows, do not forget to protect it from cold air masses.
How to water and fertilize
Liana will need watering as soon as the soil dries, the permissible depth of drying of the soil is up to 3 cm. In the summer months, one watering is carried out at 7 days, and with the onset of winter they change to once every two weeks. For irrigation, it is recommended to use separated water at room temperature.
- It is recommended to spray the vinesBut to avoid water on the flower petals, the plant will only be grateful for the high humidity.
- You can bathe the liana under a warm shower, and not just be limited to periodically wiping the leaves with a damp cloth.
Khoya is a large plant, but it does not need frequent top-dressings. It is recommended to use complex universal products, including nitrogenous, phosphoric and potassium constituents.
What you need to know about hoya breeding
Ways here are the most familiar to any plant lover:
People engaged in ornamental gardening, most often use cuttings. In order for the stalk to settle well, you will need a sandy-peat ground. Abundant watering and a temperature of over +20 degrees will lead to the early formation of roots, on average, 21 to 28 days.
Why does hoya not bloom at home?
Florist note. When indoor content hoy Bella is recommended to force the plant to the appearance of flowers. The development of buds is guaranteed by nature itself, but to get a lush flowering there are some tricks that are very important if in winter time, it was not possible to reduce the temperature.
Stimulate the process as follows. When active growth begins, the vine should be immersed in warm water with an indicator of +34 - +36 degrees.
- some soaked only a pot with a root portion for 120 minutes
- someone is wetting the vine completely then the plant should be kept in the water for half an hour
You can increase the light mode, for example, introduce artificial lighting - this is also one of the ways to stimulate abundant flowering.
How to trim
Important! In any species of hoya, it is strictly forbidden to touch flower stalks, which are used for the formation of inflorescences. They are not pruned, they should not be cut off categorically even after flowering. This is due to the fact that it is from the old flower stalks that bud formation will begin next season. If pruning occurs, the flowers will not appear for a very long time.
With regards to the rest of the shoots they curl around the supporting materials or shorten after flowering passes. The formation of the plant occurs at the request of the grower: excessively elongated branches, which lose their attractiveness, pinch or cut a little, some are shortened to half the length.
About diseases and pests
Pests are scary hoi only if the wrong care is carried out or the good conditions of the flower are violated. Liana seems to be an attractive shield.
The way to deal with them is the use of mechanical flushing and insecticidal preparations. When powdery mildew appears, a set of measures are applied - adjustment of the moisture index and treatment with fungicidal agents.
What problems can a hoi owner face?
- buds fall off if the pot has been moved to another room,
- leaves are stained with a lack of lighting, when exposed to direct sunlight, an abundance of dressings, watering with not too warm water,
- the plant does not give flowers under poor light, soil depletion, if the winter regime is not observed and if the peduncles are cut,
- too dry air causes the leaves to fall;
- the leaves dry, curl and dry at low temperature and under the influence of direct sunlight,
- flowers fall if there is a change in the location of the pot and if the vine does not have enough light,
- growth slows down, leaves turn pale in case of lack of nitrogen.
The following conclusions can be drawn. That it is possible to grow hoyu at home and if according to recommendations to take care of a beautiful woman, the flowering will be long, lush and abundant.
There was another question: why can not the flower of hoya be grown at home? Also, there is nothing unequivocal, everyone decides for himself to believe the prejudices accompanying wax ivy or not.
Description and Legends
The birthplace of the flower is India, Indonesia, Australia. Hoya can be found in the forests, where many trees: the plant uses them as a prop. Hoya is named after gardener Thomas Hoy, who first mastered how to care for this exotic flower and isolated this plant from other species. It was in the XVIII century.
This liana plant can reach 10 meters in length, the leaves are thick, oval, pointed at the end, glossy, 5–9 cm long. Due to the underdeveloped root system, the pot may be small. At first, the stem is soft, and then becomes wooden. During flowering, the plant is capable of naughty. If it is moved to another place, it can reset the flowers and no longer bloom this summer. And so the flowers are collected in a huge, fragrant ball of white, pale pink, red shades.
Hoi ivy varieties
Hoya has many varieties. For example:
- Karnoza. In length reaches 6 meters. The leaves are dark green with silvery specks. One of the most unpretentious plants, which is not afraid of any drought, no shade or coolness.
- Bella. A shrub that branches out, shoots hang down. He is suitable for hanging pots. Thermophilous enough, loves the light.
- Lacunose. The shrub has a cascade shape and diamond shaped leaves.
- Kerry's heart. This species is so named because of the leaves in the shape of a heart. Flowers change color depending on the lighting. It is important to make a garter so that the shoots do not overturn the pot.
- Regal. Downy shoots with leaves 20 cm long.
- South. Six-meter stalks with shiny leaves, slightly pubescent. Blossoms in November.
- Longleaf Leaf length 18 cm, externally pubescent.
Beliefs about the plant
Usually the plant is kept in offices. There is no exact answer yet, is it possible to keep hoyu at home. Negative signs associated with hoey are due to the fact that hoya is often equated with ivy. But it is ivy that grows into a tree and feeds on its juices. And next to ivy, other plants grow poorly. But nerds have proven that hoya has nothing to do with ivy. This is a different kind of plant. Но всё же основными отрицательными приметами считаются следующие:
- Энергетический вампир. Растение якобы питается человеческой энергией. Но это не так: хойя живёт за счёт своих корней и не наносит вред ни человеку, ни другим растениям.
- Приносит несчастья, неурядицы, болезни, но стоит только выкинуть цветок, как всё становится хорошо. Many people who grow this flower consider this a coincidence.
- Expels men. Does not allow men to unmarried, and men living in the house expels him. However, the reviews are contradictory. Many say that the flower in the bedroom helps to improve family well-being.
Hoya wax ivy and the signs associated with it are very abstract. Many before you start this plant, read information about flower Hoya and why you can not grow it at home. You should know that physically wax ivy does not contain toxic substances. But still its juice can cause allergies to mucous membranes.
During the day, the leaves emit oxygen, thereby clearing the air. The aroma of flowers is piquant, dizziness may arise from it, and allergies may appear in sensitive people. Therefore, it is not recommended to keep hoyas in small rooms that are too closed.
Hoya care at home
In general, the plant is quite unpretentious. But you need to know some of the nuances of home content.. These include:
- The soil. After buying in a store, wax ivy should be transplanted and then transplanted once every two years. The soil should be neutral, slightly acidic, so that water can easily penetrate. Suitable and garden soil, but decontaminated on the stove.
- Illumination. It grows in the shade, but does not bloom. The east or west side is suitable, where there is no shadow, but there is no direct sun.
- Temperature. The optimum is 18–20 degrees, but the vine does not dry out from the heat or freeze at a temperature of 12 degrees. It is important to protect from direct sunlight and cold air.
- Watering and fertilizer. Summer watering as drying. Do not allow the formation of a dry lump. In winter, watering should be reduced to 1 time in 10 days, as leaves and flowers may fall off due to excessive moisture. Water must be settled. Spray the leaves periodically. Wax ivy does not need frequent fertilizing - from March to September, once every three weeks. Fertilizer should be complex and consist of nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium.
- Breeding methods. Hoya propagated by cuttings, seeds, layering. The most commonly used propagation by cuttings. The shoot is cut with leaves and buds. Put in the water, with the appearance of the roots are planted in the ground.
- Pruning. It is important not to touch the flower stalks, do not cut them. Otherwise, next season hoya will not bloom. After flowering, the remaining shoots curl on supporting materials or shorten.
Basic plant care rules
Like any other home plant, hoya needs care. Compliance with some of the rules on the content of wax ivy will help to keep the flower in perfect condition for a long time.
- It should be noted that an acceptable temperature for the maintenance of a flower in the summer period is considered from 18 to 25 degrees.
- As for the winter season, the optimum temperature for ivy will be 15 degrees. It should be noted that ivy copes well with lower temperatures. However, it should be remembered that lower temperatures of the maintenance of the flower can lead to the fact that the leaves of the stems will quickly fall off at the hoya.
- The flower is very intolerant to frequent changes in location. Therefore, constant permutations will lead to the dropping of leaves and flowers. For a flower to enjoy its grace and beauty for many years, it is required to determine one place for it. In order for ivy to retain its foliage in full, it is not necessary to transfer it to a balcony or loggia in summertime.
- The flower feels great in any room where there is diffused light. Moreover, due to good illumination, the plant quickly grows and can encircle its vines any wall in the room, which will give the interior an unusual look.
- To stimulate the growth of hoya, you should monitor the level of humidity in the room. The plant tolerates dry air well, experts recommend systematically sprinkling the room with boiled water. For better growth of ivy, before flowering occurs, it can be washed under a hot shower (no more than 40 degrees). To prevent water from entering the pot, you can cover it with a package on top.
- In the summer, it is recommended to systematically spray the foliage of hoya from a spray bottle.
- Plant required moderate wateringbecause it tolerates a lack of fluid. It is necessary to water a flower only in the event that the soil has dried up. And in the summer should be moistened more often than in winter. The abundance or stagnation of moisture will lead to rotting plants.
- As for dressings, you need to do it. twice a month and only during the growing season. And the first feeding should be carried out in March. From November to February, Hoya does not need dressing. As fertilizers for the enrichment of soil with useful substances suitable mineral compounds with a high content of magnesium, potassium, nitrogen and phosphorus.
- As for pruning vines, it all depends on what quality it is planned to use. That is, if the wax ivy will curl along the scaffold on the wall, it can only pinch occasionally to help better grow lateral shoots. But if hoya will act as an ampelous plant, then long vines will have to be systematically cut in order to shorten them. Anyway, if the plant is cut periodically, it will stimulate its flowering.
- After the umbrella inflorescences completely ottsvetut and fall off, in no case should not cut flower stalks, because it is on them for the next year will bloom new flowers.
If we take into account all the conditions regarding a competent move for this wonderful plant, it will be happy every year from spring to autumn with its beautiful flowering and pleasant aroma.
The main problems that can be encountered when growing
Sometimes, while observing all the rules regarding the care of wax ivy, flower growers face certain problems.
- In the case when there is a very slow growth of hoya, the leaves of the plant are much lighter, this indicates that it does not have enough nutrients contained in the soil. To eliminate this problem, the plant should be transplanted into a new soil.
- When there is an intense fall off of the leaves, this indicates excessive watering of the flower, an extremely low temperature of the air in the house, or its transfer to a new place.
- If there is a strong abscission of flowers, then, most likely, the apartment is very dry air. To solve the problem will increase the humidity in the room.
- If spots began to appear on the surface of the leaves, then most likely the flower has suffered sunburn or there is not enough light in the room.
- Do not bloom hoya may due to lack of lighting or as a result of strong temperature in the room. To enhance the growth of the flower, it is necessary for him to arrange a warm shower.
- Do not allow the direct rays of the sun to penetrate the flower, as this can lead to twisting, yellowing and brightening the leaves. The place where the flower is located should be bright, but the rays should not fall on the hoya.
Decorative hoya is a beautiful elegant flower that is great for growing at home. It does not require special care and unpretentious content. Therefore, any beginner florist who wants to give coziness and originality to his home can start a hoya.