Talking about a pumpkin lot and a lot of beautiful, it makes no sense. Who tried to grow it, he knows that this is one of the most delicious and sweetest pumpkins. Whoever has not met with this all revered variety, should at least once a pumpkin to plant and evaluate its taste. But before you start growing vegetables, you need to understand that the pumpkin is not one variety, but the common name of several subspecies of a crop that have common breeding characteristics.
Breeding characteristics of individual nutmeg varieties
Certainly, each variety has peculiarities, but first we must remind that all nutmegs are united. What unites them is that they are all thermophilic, of medium or late maturity. Ideal conditions for their cultivation - the southern areas. The middle lane is also suitable, but on the condition that seedlings will be planted in the open ground, and not seeds. So, consider the most popular varieties of nutmeg.
The first will be the nutmeg pearl gourd, a description of the variety and characteristics of which seem to be ordinary, but at the same time it is the most popular in private farms. Pumpkin ripening average (about 4 months). Many people saw long orange-like squash fruits in the garden with a thickening at the end. This is Nutmeg Pearl. By weight, fruits can be relatively small (up to 4 kg), and can be pleasantly weighty (up to 7 kg). The flesh is orange. Pumpkins are stored well, but not more than six months, then the taste is lost. Productivity cannot be called excellent, but there is always enough fruit for home needs.
Guitar - the average maturity (107-122 days). The shape is almost a pearl, only much longer. Individual specimens grow to 75-80 cm. But at this size the fruits are not very heavy, on average 3.3-4.2 kg. Yellow-orange pulp has many vitamins. It is from this pumpkin the most delicious cereals and fillings for dough products. Butternut Guitar can be well kept under the bed until late spring.
Provence is an average ripening period (up to 120 days). Fruits are rounded, flattened, deeply embossed with pronounced lobules. Weight from 3.3 to 8.2 kg. The flesh is very rich orange. Butternut squash is interesting because the longer it is stored, the more tender its taste becomes. Such a pumpkin makes delicious juice and desserts (jam, candied fruit, etc.).
Butternut (the second name is the Nut pumpkin) is an exception to the rule, the variety is early ripening (3 months). Who does not know, pumpkins can easily be taken for zucchini, because in shape and size the fruits of one culture are very similar to the fruits of another. In size and weight the fruits are not large. The average weight of about 1 kilogram, "giants" can grow up to 2 kilograms. The pulp is slightly oily with a nut flavor. Butternat gourd is stored well, unpretentious to storage conditions.
Vitamin - late gestation (up to 130 days). Fruits are elongated, “puzatocky”, with weakly pronounced lobules. Color or dark green with brown spots (stripes), or brown with green spots (stripes). Weight from 4.3 to 6.8 kg. The flesh is bright orange. If you compare all the nutmeg varieties, pumpkin nutmeg vitamin in taste in the first place. Stored equally well in the cellar and in the house.
Another important point for gardeners, in which the garden is not very “large-scale”, that is, small. Plants of all the listed varieties have long rods, that is, there are no bush plants among them. Therefore, choosing a place for planting, it is desirable to take into account this point so that it does not happen that only pumpkins will grow in the middle of the garden.
Growing nutmeg pumpkins is easy. It should only be remembered that any of the subspecies loves a lot of sun and heat, plus it does not like areas with high groundwater storage. All other landing events are held according to the classical scheme, but taking into account the individual characteristics of culture. What do you need a nutmeg pumpkin for its proper development and full aging?
1. First, if the pumpkin will be grown seedlings, not seeds, preparing the seeds and growing the seedlings with the subsequent planting of the seedlings in open ground. Both of these points to consider in detail, it makes no sense, since both procedures are the same for all vegetables. The only thing so pumpkin seedlings do not like diving. Seeds are immediately planted in separate containers, for example cups, from which young plants along with the soil are transferred to the garden.
2. A seedling will be better if you feed it 2 times with complex fertilizers 2 times a month. The first time is 5-7 days after the appearance of the first shoots, the second time in a week and a half after the first feeding. Who prefers organic, mineral fertilizers can replace a weak solution of mullein.
3. By the time, planting seeds for seedlings is carried out approximately a month before the start of garden work. In the middle lane is the mid-end of April. In the south, depending on the region, it may be February or March.
3. If someone does not want to take care of the seedlings, then a seed is immediately planted in the open ground. Only in this case, regardless of the region, the planting of seeds is carried out in the already warm, but still damp earth. The ground will be dry, or the seeds will not germinate, or they will germinate, but there is not enough time to ripen the fruit.
4. Butternut squash bears fruit well on chernozem, but at the same time it prefers loose and, of course, fertile soil. Before planting seeds or seedlings, compost or humus (5 kg), phosphate fertilizer (25 g), potash fertilizer (15 g) are introduced into the soil in the beds. All per 1 square meter.
Tip! Instead of taking care of soil preparation, nutmeg can be planted on compost heaps. There are no problems with preparing the land, and there are always useful substances to maintain the full development of culture. By the way, the pumpkin nutmeg vitamin growing on such a “vitamin” vegetable garden is much tastier and sweeter.
5. If the seeds are planted immediately in open ground, they are deepened by 5-6 cm. 3-4 seeds are usually laid in one hole. Weak then will be removed, 2 strong remain.
6. Before the appearance of the first shoots of the landing site, it is desirable to cover with a thin layer of mulch and keep the soil moist.
7. According to the landing scheme, so in practice no one ever sticks to it. Some are planted around the perimeter of the site, others randomly around the garden. It doesn't matter how it will look, the main thing is that the bushes from each other should be located no closer than 1 meter. If the garden is quite small, the distance between plantings can be reduced to 60-80 cm.
8. There is another way to save garden area - to put the lash on the props (columns). When the shoots become long enough and begin to creep along the site, a column is dug in near the bush. A sprout is carefully wound around the post. Then the escape will begin to crawl to the support, the growth of the lashes will go vertically.
9. An important point - the number of ovaries on one shoot. Pumpkins, as far as the variety allows, will grow as large as possible, if no more than 3 ovaries are left on one whip. Two or three ovaries formed, the escape has grown a half meter, you can pinch.
10. Nutmeg pumping is done 2-3 times. The first time at the time of formation of lashes before flowering. Use one of two things: organic matter in the form of a 7-day infusion of mullein or chicken manure (liter per bucket of water) or minerals in the form of nitrophoska (20 grams, water is the same). The second feeding is carried out during flowering. If it is organic, the composition can not be changed. If mineral fertilizers are used, potassium sulfate (35-40 g) is added to nitrophoska. The third time, during the fruiting period, plantings are fed on a solution of mullein (1 liter per 10 liters of water). Under one bush poured 2 liters "talker". If there is ash, 1 cup under a bush once a month is also good.
11. Butternut squash is not very afraid of drought, but with irrigation the harvest is much better. There are two "modes" of watering the landings. Until the formation of ovaries, bushes are watered once a week. As soon as the ovary is formed, watering is carried out once every 2 weeks. In order to avoid powdery mildew, water should fall only at the root, but not on the leaves. Under one bush requires at least 5 liters of water. In the hot summer you can water more often.
12. Crop harvested when the pumpkin is completely matured. How to determine? You can click on the fruit and try to scratch. If it is not pressed, the dent does not appear, the surface of the fruit is scratched badly, because it is hard, it's time to tear the pumpkin. But you can not scratch and push. A drying fruit stalk indicates full ripening.
Important! Two comments. First, at the time of tearing the pumpkin, the stalk should not suffer. Secondly, the fruits are not immediately deposited. They are given several days to rest in bed for "preparation" for the winter.
When planning to harvest, it should be remembered that cutting or tearing of a pumpkin should be carried out only in dry and sunny weather. The slightest dampness can ruin the entire crop already in storage.
Undoubtedly, all nutmeg pumpkins, like the nutmeg pearl pumpkin description of the variety may not be complete or not exact, there is no ideal in the world. But the fact that thermophilic nutmeg is the sweetest, tastiest, and most sought after by our gardeners is for sure. Sometimes they look inconspicuous, but again, this does not prevent them from conquering the hearts of lovers of pumpkin delicacies.
Share useful information:
Description and Characteristics of Vitamin Pumpkin
Plants form lashes of considerable length - up to 6 meters, on which fruits are tied, usually 2-3. Plant seeds of 2-3 pieces per well, patching to a depth of 10 centimeters, or seedlings. In the middle band is guaranteed to ripen, if it is grown seedling way. This culture loves the sun and warmth. Landing is recommended in rows.
Care includes pinching the side branches and the main stem. Also requires a full range of agrotechnical measures, consisting of watering, loosening, weeding, regular fertilizing with mineral fertilizer. Crop harvested in September and October. Harvest must be removed before the first frost.
Pumpkin vitamin closeup
Pumpkin Vitamin - a late ripe grade. Large, slightly ribbed, slightly elongated fruits ripen about 130 days after planting. The size of the fruit reaches a weight of 7 kilograms, and 5-pound specimens - a common thing. Fruits are characterized by satisfactory keeping quality and transportability.
Light orange or yellowish thin bark hides the crunchy flesh of dense, but delicate texture of rich orange color. The layer of fibrous pulp under the crust reaches 10 centimeters. Mature fruits in large quantities contain carotene and sugars, and therefore they are used in baby food and therapeutic diets. From pulp prepare juice, mashed potatoes, pastries, other vitamin dishes. High taste qualities allow to use raw pulp.
Description and characteristics of the variety Pearl
Plants are characterized by powerful growth, each gives up to 6 shoots, each of which forms a fruit. The weight of an oval-shaped fruit can reach 6, sometimes 8 kilograms, but not less than 3 kilograms.
The bark is smooth, thin, orange colored. Below it is a thick layer of dark orange pulp. A small seed nest is formed in the upper third of the fruit, the rest of the place is occupied by pulp.
Agrotechnical cultivation is the same as for other nutmeg pumpkins. The only remark, the name in mind the formation of a powerful bush, it is recommended to leave the space between the plants at least 60 cm. It tolerates a decrease in temperature. Ripens a crop in 100-120 days is a mid-season grade.
The pumpkin is well preserved and even improves the taste during ripening, although after six months of storage the quality of fruits begins to deteriorate. From the pulp, rich in carbohydrates, carotene, vitamins and useful micro and macro elements prepare dishes for baby food, tasty low-calorie diet meals and drinks.
- It has a high content of vitamin A, E and PP. And also it contains all the vitamins of group B. Of the trace elements, the largest amount is in magnesium, potassium and iron.
- The nutmeg fruit stem has five facets that extend towards the base of the fruit.
- These plants are most productively grown in the south, as they are very thermophilic.
- The most common are oval or round fruit.
- The flesh will differ depending on the variety.
- Seed is usually very much.
- It tastes sweet and aromatic.
To have time to get a harvest, nutmeg pumpkin trying to plant in the form of seedlings.
The most popular varieties of nutmeg:
- Muscat de Provence.
Prikubanskaya has juicy and soft pulp. The fruit itself grows up to four kilograms, which is not so much for pumpkin. This early variety has very good yields. It ripens, as a rule, not more than a hundred days. Pear-shaped form with light skin. The flesh color is brighter than the skin.
Vitamin Pumpkin is a late variety. Its ripening period is one hundred and fifty days. Large fruits reach seven kilograms, and the form is most often oval or cylindrical. The pulp is dark orange with a huge content of carotene. This variety is extremely useful.
It is recommended to use for adults and the youngest children. Use this variety and diet food. It is stored for four months, perfectly preserving its taste.
Mid-season variety Muscat de Provence ripens about one hundred and ten days. Pumpkins are small in size and can reach three kilograms.
The dense orange flesh is very sweet. Excellent natural desserts are made from it. In addition, this variety is considered the most resistant to diseases. It is stored for a long time, until mid-spring, which makes it also commercially attractive.
Marble variety it ripens a little longer, and the weight of each fruit is twice the size of Muscat de Provence. Outwardly, the vegetable is slightly flattened, with a gray-green coating on the peel. Its taste is considered the sweetest among all known nutmeg species. Therefore, this variety has found wide application in the food industry.
Arabatsky grade most common among mid-season pumpkins. The fruits of this species have an elongated shape and a weight of about seven kilograms. It is stored for at least three months, retaining all its qualities and useful properties. The flesh is bright, and by the middle of the fetus it becomes brighter. The skin is thin and yellow.
Variety Pearl It has very large fruits. The shape of a pumpkin is cylindrical, the pulp is thick and soft. She has a very small nest with seeds inside the fruit.
The ripening period is just over a hundred days, and the fruits are perfectly stored at low temperature.
How to grow nutmeg
When planting, use the seed and seedling method. Seeds are planted in December under the film. This is done as follows: two seeds are planted in the well. The distance between the holes should be at least eighty centimeters, and the depth of the pits no more than six.
To obtain seedlings and subsequently plant them, seeds are germinated at home in April, and when there are three leaves on the sprouts, they are planted in open ground. During germination, put the pots of seeds on the windowsill. Well if the windows are located on the south side of the house, otherwise you have to highlight the seedlings with a lamp. The temperature at which the seedlings will feel most favorable, should be at least twenty-five degrees.
The first shoots can be seen a week after planting. In warm weather, take out seedlings for a short time on the balcony for hardening.
When planting in the open field, choose the right place for pumpkin. It should be warm and bright, as this vegetable does not like shade and excessive moisture. And also pick a place for landing as dry as possible. After all, the fruits will be on the ground.
Not indifferent to the plant and to organic fertilizer. It was noticed that this plant gives an excellent crop if it is planted near a compost pit. When planting try to put humus or compost in the hole.
Water the pumpkin moderately, but do not allow dryness. In hot weather, shade a little pumpkin with dry grass or straw. And also this plant is desirable to adjust for larger fruits. As soon as the shoots grow longer than a meter, remove all but two side processes. Their length should be no more than seventy centimeters.
Variety Pearl cultivation features
Pumpkin Nutmeg Pearl has its own characteristics when grown. If you take them into account, in the fall you can collect a good harvest.
First of all, you should choose a well-lit, warm and dry place. Pumpkin loves areas surrounded by some shrubs, to be protected from drafts. The soil is desirable light, clay or sandstone.
Seeds are sown in late May or early June. Before planting, they are soaked in a solution of manganese for twenty minutes, and then treated with fungicide.
Holes must be at a distance of one meter from each other. Глубина ямки не более пяти сантиметров, а как только появятся ростки, их прореживают. Когда первый побег достигает пятидесяти сантиметров длиной, у него обрезают верхушку, чтобы заставить активнее развиваться боковым отросткам.This is especially true in the case of a cold summer.
Twice throughout the summer, the internode is covered with moist soil. Thus, adventitious roots will be formed, which, in turn, will affect the quantity and quality of the crop. Pollinating a pumpkin takes place at temperatures above twenty degrees and average humidity.
Watering the pumpkin just under the root. This plant is resistant to drought, but loves when it is watered in time. It is especially important to prevent dry soil during flowering and fruit set.
As soon as the pumpkin has a sufficient number of ovaries, watering should be stopped and done as rarely as possible, otherwise the taste of already ripe fruits will noticeably deteriorate.
Gather ripe fruits in dry weather. Tails can not be broken off or cut off at the base. They are left about seven centimeters long. If the weather is sunny, hold them in the sunshine for several hours.
Store the harvest in a warm and dry place. The storage period for pumpkin is quite long, but after six months, the taste worsens.
Pumpkin Diseases and Pests
The most common diseases that can cause maximum harm to pumpkin are melon aphid, bacteriosis, powdery mildew, root rot and spider mites.
- Bacteriosis occurs on the seed lobes in the form of brown dots. Over time, the points turn into ulcers that completely change the fetus. With increased humidity - this disease spreads extremely quickly. It is very important to remove the entire affected plant completely, since any of its residues become a source of infection for the rest of the pumpkins. After removing the plant, treat the neighboring pumpkins with Bordeaux liquid or copper chlorofluoride. The place where the gourd grew was also disinfected.
- Root rot affects the roots and stems of the plant. The leaves turn yellow, and the pumpkin stops developing. The cause of the disease becomes a fungus. Most often, weak plants are sick during a cold spell or prolonged rainy weather. Root rot is treated with a pre-icur solution, which is watered. The stem is sprinkled with earth to form additional roots and fed with copper sulfate, taken in half with zinc sulfate.
- If the leaves appeared whitish spots with mucusso the plant attacked white rot. The disease also has a fungal pattern and can lead to the death of the whole pumpkin bed. Get rid of the fungus with the help of zinc sulfate and copper sulfate. The affected parts are removed, and their places are covered with coal.
- Sometimes the lower part of the leaf plate affects such an insect pest as spider mite. This is a very common problem among indoor floriculture. Over time, if you do not notice the tick, the leaves will become marble and yellow. The spider mite is afraid of water and settles on the leaves of most garden and indoor plants during heat and drought. Simply spray leaves and stems with plain water for prevention more often. You can get rid of the tick with ground sulfur, isophene, or Celten. All drugs are used in the form of a solution that process the plant.
- Surely, many have repeatedly come across powdery mildewaffecting the leaves, and then the rest of the plants. Unfortunately, this fungus is considered very stable. He winters well and is able to resurrect even from a small piece of a leaf with spores. Among the reasons for its occurrence is called moisture, excess nitrogenous fertilizers and cooling. Get rid of it with colloidal sulfur and sodium phosphate.
- Sometimes it settles on the pumpkin melon aphid. You can see it on the lower side of the leaf plate and on the ovaries. With a significant increase in the number of aphids, the plant dies. From this pest helps karbofos. Spray the plant several times.
Many diseases can be avoided if a crop rotation is carried out and weeds are removed in time. Do not leave the affected parts of plants, and removing them, process also the place where the pumpkin grew. Do prevention. Most of the diseases are of fungal origin, and therefore occur with frequent and unlimited watering.
It is popular in Colombia, Peru, Asia, and Mexico. In Europe, this type of pumpkin was introduced only in the XVIII century. Vegetable is a healthy diet food, almost consists of water, which is 90%, although the pumpkin pulp is dense.
This pumpkin should be on every table. From it you can cook a variety of dishes - cereals, soups, pastries. It is stewed, baked, boiled, pickled and dried. In addition, Butternut squash is the only type of pumpkin, which, thanks to its thin skin, is pleasant to use fresh, adding to salads.
Vegetable useful. The range of its valuable properties is striking, it:
- Improves vision due to the presence of carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin.
- It has a diuretic effect, cleansing the kidneys, bladder from the content of toxins and salts in them.
- Strengthens the cardiovascular system, cleansing the blood vessels, lowering blood pressure, and also contributes to the conclusion of "bad" cholesterol.
- Is the prevention of dangerous diseases such as angina, myocardial infarction, atherosclerosis, stroke.
- It contains fiber, improving the work of the gastrointestinal tract.
- It has a low calorie content: 45 kcal per 100 grams of product, therefore it is considered a dietary product. Thanks to her, you can get rid of extra pounds.
- It helps to improve the activity of the immune system due to the content of vitamin C and folic acid.
- Slows down the aging of the body, as it contains potassium and vitamin K. They protect cells from free radicals, as well as toxins and toxins accumulated in the body.
- Improves the condition of teeth and joints. Calcium, strengthens tooth enamel and bones.
- It can improve the patient's condition during the flu, as the contained vitamin C helps to quickly get rid of viruses, restore sore throat.
- This product is useful for pregnant women, since it practically does not cause allergies, it supplies the body only with everything useful, which will contribute to the full development of the fetus.
According to the content of the nutmeg pumpkin is considered a storehouse of vitamins and trace elements. It contains vitamins A, B, C, PP, E, as well as trace elements - magnesium, potassium, calcium, iron and others.
How to grow?
The vegetable ripens long: the vegetative period ranges from 115–140 days. But nevertheless, there are early-maturing varieties that are best grown in the middle lane.
Most often it is necessary to clean in late August or mid-September before the onset of frost. Nothing that the fruit is not fully ripe: ripen during maturation. It will take 45–60 days to do this.
Site selection and landing time
Before choosing a plot for Butternut Squash, it is necessary to remember that it is considered a thermophilic and southern culture. The place should be a little on a hill (so that the water does not stagnate) and be illuminated all day by the sun. If the plants will fall the slightest shadow, no harvest will not wait.
It must be remembered: the pumpkin prefers spacious beds. After all, her whips can reach up to 3 meters to the side. Pumpkin remains immune to many diseases, easily tolerates temperature drops.
In order for the Muscat Gourd to mature fully, it is necessary to plant it in a seedling manner. Seeds are sown at the end of April in separate containers. Planted in a permanent place of growth in early June, when there is no danger of frost.
Hazardous factors for it are:
- lingering cold
- prolonged rains
- spring frosts.
Preparation of beds
For planting seedlings need to prepare a bed. It is desirable that the soil was loose, well impregnated with organic fertilizers. Dumped manure and compost should be poured into each well.
It is even better if there is a pile of dung nearby with a pumpkin bed.
Seed preparation for planting
Before the process of sowing seeds is carried out, it is recommended to prepare them. To do this, they are first soaked in a solution of potassium permanganate for 30 minutes, then immediately transferred to the Epin growth simulator, and kept there for another 30 minutes. Then wrapped in wet gauze or cotton fabric, put in a warm place to germinate.
How to plant pumpkin seeds?
To get strong seedlings, do the following:
- Maintain seedlings at home for about a month.
- Then prepare containers in advance. It is better that they are separate for each plant. They are filled with a special soil for growing seedlings.
- In each tank planted 2 seeds.
- The containers are covered with a film to keep the soil moisture and put in a dark, but, most importantly, warm place.
- As soon as shoots appear, it is recommended to remove the film and transfer the plants to a well-lit window sill.
- Then, a strong plant is selected from the seedlings, and a weak one is removed. Leaving only one sprout.
- After half a month has passed, it is necessary to start hardening the plants. They are recommended to take to the balcony, gradually lengthening the time.
- At the end of May or in June it is recommended to plant pumpkin sprouts on open ground.
When planting seedlings in open ground, it is necessary to monitor the temperature in the air and in the soil: it should not be below 15 ° C. Pumpkin is afraid of the slightest frost. It is better to wait until the weather settles.
There are two main methods of reproduction - this is seeds and with the help of seedlings. Seeds are taken from the best, well-ripened pumpkin, they are very much in the middle of the fruit. Seeds are removed, dried and stored until next spring.
Negative factors that worsen and complicate obtaining a good harvest are:
- development of diseases
- insect attack
- natural disasters (frost, frequent rain, drought).
With the first two you need to fight with the use of chemicals and folk methods.
After planting seeds or seedlings need to care for them. This means watering in a timely manner, loosening the ground, adding feed, removing weeds, forming lashes, fighting pests and diseases.
Watering is an important condition in getting the nutmeg pumpkin crop. It is required to water in the morning or evening hours, only with warm, soft water. It is advisable to pour water under the root so that the water does not fall on the leaves, especially when the bright sun is shining.
For pumpkin it is important that everything be in moderation. It does not tolerate drought and excessive wetting of the earth. If there is a high temperature outside, the plant is under the sun, it is advisable to use a little straw or hay.
Formation of lashes
To get the fruits of large sizes, there is a need for adjustment in the formation of the lashes. Leave the central lash, and the side are removed, except for two branches: they should not exceed a length of 70 cm.
Making feedings is important for fetal growth. Organic fertilizers are welcome. It can be mullein, compost, rotten manure.
Wood ash is required as a mineral supplement. Over the entire growing season (summer season), it is necessary to make about 4 supplements at least 1-2 times a month. It is advisable to purchase superphosphate, potassium sulfate.
It is known that the nutmeg is not pollinated on its own, therefore it will need the help of insects, but it is safer if the owner himself does it. To do this, during the flowering period, it is necessary to find a male flower (it dissolves first), tear off the petals, leaving only the pistil. They touch the stamens on the female flower.
After planting a vegetable, it is necessary to ensure that weeds do not grow near it, which will begin to absorb useful substances intended for pumpkin. Weeds removed in a timely manner, a little prysyliv near the ground. To limit their growth, you can squash a pumpkin with straw or impose agro spam.
This is a healthy culture, so the breeders did a lot of work, many different varieties were bred.
They differ from each other:
- the content of vitamins and trace elements.
Fruits may have a different weight, but small vegetables have a particularly good taste. The weight of fruits of the presented variety can be from 1 to 10 kg. There are instances, the mass of which reached 100 kg. The stem has five facets.
Inside the vegetable is quite dense, there are practically no empty places. Despite the impressive dimensions, the shell is thin.
Among the features worth noting the location of pumpkin seeds - they are located in one place, which provides convenience when using vegetables. Grains in the fruit quite a lot. The color of the pulp depends on the variety, but usually has a cream to amber color. The flesh is soft and fibrous, tastes like muscat.
The main advantage of using this product is its universal effect on health. The benefits of nutmeg:
- the content of polyunsaturated fats and the absence of cholesterol ensures the removal of harmful substances from the body, so the vegetable is used not only for healing, but also for weight loss,
- The product promotes immunity,
- recommended for patients with kidney disease, as it has a diuretic effect,
- a large amount of carotene improves vision,
- Vitamin K contained in the composition inhibits the aging process,
- Potassium has a beneficial effect on the condition of blood vessels and blood vessels.
It is worth noting the benefits of vegetables during pregnancy. In future mothers are rare allergies to the pumpkin, and therefore its use is possible during the carrying of the child. In addition, the product quenches hunger. Ascorbic acid helps heal colds. Drinking pumpkin juice for pregnant women can be no more than 2 glasses a week.
There are vegetable and contraindications, namely:
- gastric and duodenal ulcer,
- violation of acid-base balance,
These restrictions are due to the high content of sugars and carbohydrates, which are not recommended for the above problems. With caution you can use the product with elevated bilirubin, cholecystitis, pancreatitis.
In the case of liver disease, it is better to consult a doctor before taking it.
Vegetable has several varieties that are bred by breeding. Each of them differs in the size of the fruit, the color of the pulp and the taste, some require special conditions when grown. We list the main varieties of nutmeg pumpkin.
- "Muscat". It has extended seeds at the top. Refers to late varieties - collection not earlier than 125 days after the emergence of sprouts. The color of the fruit is orange-yellow, the average weight reaches 7 kg. The flesh has no fibers, the color of the flesh is bright orange or even red. Taste is saturated, fragrant. It can be used both in the processed look, and in a fresh state. Contains a large amount of provitamin A. Often used to prepare children's meals.
- "Batternat". The second name of the grade is "Nut". Fruits have a weight of 1 to 1.2 kg and a shape in the form of a pear. Seeds are located in the expanded part, they are usually quite a bit. The shell is dense, has a bright orange color. The flesh is oily, sweet, there is a taste of nutmeg. It is used in any form, but especially the variety is good at preparing sauces and soups.
- "Provence". Bred in France. Refers to the mid-season variety - collection is possible after 110 days. It is characterized by resistance to diseases. The shape of the fruit is flat-round, the shares are clearly expressed, the weight is from 3 to 8 kg. Differs in good keeping quality and indicative presentation, therefore it is often grown for sale. A good option for making mashed potatoes and sauces.
- "Vitamin". Fruits of cubical cylindrical shape, weight 6-8 kg, color - closer to brown. It is considered a late variety, the collection is possible after 125 days after germination. The flesh has a red tint, good taste, crispy. Perfect for weight loss and preparation of children's juices and mashed potatoes.
- "Pearl". Loose middle-late variety. Fruits come in the form of a cylinder, have a light orange color, the average weight is 5-8 kg. The flesh has a density and excellent taste properties, characterized by an orange tinge. The variety is valued for its high yield and resistance to difficult climatic conditions. It features the possibility of long-term transportation and long shelf life. Good for lean dishes and juices.
Sowing pumpkin seeds does not require any particularly harsh conditions, but still some rules when planting a vegetable should be observed. In most regions of the country, this plant is grown by seedlings. To do this, follow the following steps:
- soak the seeds for 30 minutes in a solution of potassium permanganate,
- then at the same time we spread the planting material into a solution of growth stimulant, for example, “Epin”,
- wash the seeds in clean water, dry them,
- we put for germination in wet gauze,
- as soon as the sunflower seeds come, we plant them in containers with soil, each with two seeds,
- we cover the pots with a film and remove them to a dark, warm place,
- when the first shoots appear, we take the containers to the lighted area, we no longer need the film,
- в каждой таре устраняем более слабый экземпляр,
- следим, чтобы всходы не подвергались резким перепадам температур,
- осуществляем регулярный полив,
- через 14 дней емкости можно выносить на свежий воздух – балкон или террасу – для закалки,
- in open ground, seedlings can be planted in 3-4 weeks after planting.
Before planting pumpkin shoots on the garden, you need to consider the time. By this period, the night frosts should already pass, and the earth should warm up to +10 degrees, usually this is the end of May or the beginning of June. Special conditions and requires the soil in which to grow nutmeg.
- It should be a warm and well lit area. If you plant a vegetable in the shade, it is hardly worth waiting for a good harvest.
- It is better to choose a ridge on a certain elevation, since the culture is very susceptible to an excess of moisture.
- The soil must be nutritious and loose.
- It is recommended to plant a pumpkin next to a pit containing rotting grass.
- The soil requires organic fertilizer.
- When planting in each hole also does not hurt to add compost.
Planting seedlings on the land, you can follow an arbitrary planting pattern, but the gap between adjacent plants should not be less than 60 cm. Gourds like open space.
If the seeds of this variety are planted immediately in open ground, then follow these rules:
- seeds are soaked in potassium permanganate, and then treated with a fungicide,
- we dig a hole at a distance of 1-1.4 meters,
- put in each hole 2 seeds at a depth of 5-6 cm,
- when the shoots hatch, we thin them out, leaving only strong and strong plants.
The care of the nutmeg pumpkin is also not difficult. It is important to observe a few simple conditions.
- If during the season it was a cold summer, then the stems should be cut, leaving only three.
- With a length of 50 cm, we cut off the apex, thereby stimulating lateral shoots for development.
- Twice during the season the internodes are required to be powdered with moist soil. This will ensure the formation of adventitious roots.
- The culture is pollinated at a temperature of at least twenty degrees and average humidity. To do this, take a male flower (they can be distinguished by maturity - they bloom earlier), remove the petals, touch the stamens of the pistils of the female flower several times.
- Watering is done exclusively at the root. The plant tolerates drought well, but it is still important to prevent dryness of the soil, especially this rule should be observed during the flowering and fruit set period.
- When the culture will give the required number of ovaries, the number of watering activities is required to be significantly reduced, otherwise the taste of the vegetable will deteriorate markedly.
- During the season, the plant is fertilized two or three times, using a solution of mullein with superphosphate and ash with potassium sulfate. It should be systematically freed ridge of weeds, carefully loosen the soil.
An important aspect when caring for a plant is protection against diseases and pests. Culture is least resistant to such ills as white rot, spider mites, bacteriosis. There are several methods of dealing with them.
- In the event of bacteriosis, the affected plant must be removed completely. Then it is necessary to process the neighboring specimens with Bordeaux liquid or copper chloric acid, and disinfect the place where the diseased vegetable grew.
- Zinc sulfate and copper sulfate will help to cope with white rot. Sick plants are eliminated, and sprinkled with coal on the remaining area.
- It is very difficult to get rid of powdery mildew. It is a stable fungus that calmly tolerates even winter.
Colloidal sulfur and sodium phosphate can help in the fight against this ailment.
Among insect pests, the most important for this crop are the melon aphid and spider mite. Solve the problem will help folk remedies and chemicals.
- Gourd aphid is afraid of "karbofos". It is enough to spray the shoots several times with this composition. To notice this insect, you need to carefully inspect the underside of the leaf plates and ovary. It is worth knowing that a large number of pests leads to the death of plants.
- In the fight against spider mites, ordinary ground sulfur, Isofen and others will help to cope. Plants need to handle these means. As a preventive measure, ordinary water will do; it needs to be sprayed on the leaves and stalks of the pumpkin.
14 days before the planned harvest, the plot should stop watering. Usually collected from mid-August to mid-September, the exact date depends on the region. Frost fruits do not stand up, and therefore you need to have time to remove them before the arrival of cold weather.
Cleaning is done in dry weather. The pumpkin is removed with a pruner, leaving 3 cm of the stem. It is worth remembering that the skin of the fruit is quite thin, and if it is damaged, the plant will rot during storage.
The crop is usually stored in a dry and warm room. In its original form, the fruit will remain until spring, but it may lose some taste.
Butternut squash is a versatile product, equally tasty in raw and thermally processed. Of course, some of the benefits are lost during cooking, but the vegetable is so rich in vitamins that, nevertheless, most of them remain even in the boiled or fried product.
The fruits of the presented culture are great for making salads, for stewing and frying, they make pies, pancakes and cookies from the pumpkin, make porridge, soups, sauces, stuff them. Try several recipes using this product.
- bake half of the average vegetable, remove the flesh and grind into mashed potatoes,
- in a blender with pumpkin puree, beat 200 g of cottage cheese, 50 g of semolina and 50 g of granulated sugar,
- add to the mixture 3 yolks and melted butter,
- spread the dough on a greased baking sheet
- bake for half an hour until a golden crust appears.
This dish is recommended to be served with sea-buckthorn sauce.
Types of Butternut Squash
Pumpkin nutmeg comes in different varieties. People who have already grown this product recommend three varieties of this gourd culture:
- Pumpkin nutmeg vitamin - grows up to 7 kg, has a cylindrical shape, orange pulp rich in carotene.
- Prikubanskaya pumpkin is an early variety, fruits are small, grow up to 4 kg, the pulp is juicy and tender.
- Variety Pearl - a variety of culture, the fruits of which grow large in size (up to 8 kg), with delicious pulp.
Vitamin variety gives large fragrant fruits
The fruits of the nutmeg pumpkin have a delicate nutty aroma and rich taste of the pulp.
This allows you to use the plant in a variety of culinary purposes: cook porridge, bake and fry the flesh, bake pies and muffins.
Growing nutmeg is a process that requires special conditions and efforts. Initially, you need to choose a land plot. It should be well lit by the sun, not have a shadow, be well protected from the wind. If the soil is rich in groundwater, then this field is not suitable for the cultivation of gourds, because the root system goes deep underground.
Growing pumpkin seedlings will speed up fruit production.
This culture is grown by the method of seedlings, which is prepared in April. To do this, the ground is poured into the tank, small holes are made, into which the seeds are poured.
While sprouts sprout, they need to be watered regularly with warm water. It is necessary to carry out plant nutrition twice. In late spring or early summer, seedlings can already be planted on open land. The distance between plants should be 60-100 cm, each of which matures two or three ovaries. Additionally, seedlings need to be protected with a film to protect the crops from frost. When the temperature and weather conditions are normalized, the shelter can be removed, but returned during the cold nights.
Pumpkin flower and ovary
Growing melon crops requires regular watering. The optimal amount of water for each plant is five liters.
Young bush pumpkin
A prerequisite for good care is fertilizing, which is carried out several times:
- At the initial stage of growth, flowers have not yet appeared (infusion of mullein, superphosphate, potassium sulphate).
- In the period of flowering crops (potassium sulfate, wood ash).
It is necessary to harvest the nutmeg pumpkin before the onset of autumnal cold. A favorable time for this is September, when there is no rain and wind. Cut the fruit carefully so as not to damage the bark, leaving the tail, up to 5 cm long. Gourds need to be transported carefully so that they do not crack.
Harvesting - tails must be left on the fruits
Nutmeg varieties must be stored in a dry place. Its surface hardens, changes shade, the flesh turns orange.
Eat pumpkin, recommended after a while, so that she has the opportunity to ripen, to acquire a special taste. Under optimal conditions, the culture can be stored all year round, so in any season you can cook pumpkin porridge or dessert.
Another threat of the nutmeg are harmful insects. To avoid the destruction of the crop by pests, a description of preventive measures will help you. During the cultivation of pearls of vitamin or other pumpkin varieties, an invasion of melon aphid may occur. These insects feed on pumpkin juice, the leaves of the plant dry out due to lack of moisture and nutrients. To combat pests use special products, descriptions of which can be found on the Internet.
Sometimes for the destruction of insects, you can do with the extract of chamomile, wormwood. Distract aphids from the crop can be potato or tomato tops, ash.
Slugs can ruin a pumpkin crop.
Dangerous for pumpkin slugs. They lay their eggs in the soil, and then eat the plants at night, making a hole in the fruit. To avoid slugs, usually a plot where melons grow, shield with burlap, a burdock is planted. In the daytime, insects will accumulate here, and in the evening they must be destroyed, in what will ash help.
Adhering to the recommendations of growing nutmeg pumpkin, fulfilling all the requirements for planting and care, getting rid of pests and diseases, you will get a rich harvest of melon crops.
This vegetable is never too big: the average fruit weight is 7 kg. Vitamin gourd has pronounced ribs, rich dark green skin color. From the name it is clear that this vegetable contains many vitamins.
The variety is late, therefore it is suitable for cultivation in southern latitudes; it ripens in about 140 days. Very well kept, and in almost any conditions.
The correct name of the variety is Muscat de Provence. This vegetable culture is derived in France, which is clear from the name. Provencal pumpkin fruits have a juicy orange color and skin, and pulp, are distinguished by their uniquely high keeping quality. In addition, this pumpkin is resistant to diseases and pests. Middle maturation grade.
The variety is bred in Israeli breeding laboratories. The fruits have an elongated shape, resembling zucchini. The color of both the peel and the flesh is yellow.
Late-ripening variety, distinguished by long shoots. The fruits in this case are cylindrical, also elongated, expanding to the apex. The color of the skin and pulp is orange and light. The average weight of the fruit is 5-7 kg, the pumpkin is juicy and has a good taste.
The Japanese variety has miniature sizes: the fruits reach only two kilograms. The taste is very original: sweetish and spicy, similar to chestnut.
An interesting variety of nutmeg: the fruit reaches you a meter long and weighs 10 kg. The shape is pear-shaped, the rind has a greenish spotted shade, and the flesh is orange. Taste is similar to carrot, but more sweet.
Very sweet variety, the fruit has a brown peel, sugar flesh orange bright shade. Fruits reach the weight of 5 kg, differ in resistance to nitrates. Thanks to the latest quality candied pumpkin is recommended for baby food, as well as dietary.
Variety refers to medium late, ripens in 130-150 days. This pumpkin is widely used in the confectionery business for the production of sweets.
The fruit is a strange flat shape, the skin has a gray tint. The flesh is moderately sweet, bright orange. The dignity of this variety in its unpretentiousness and resistance to external influences.
This pumpkin is ideal for growing in our harsh climate. Fruits have a yellow-brown color, the flesh is an orange shade and dense structure. Pumpkin Vita is a real storehouse of useful carotene, which is no less in it than in carrots. You can use this vegetable as a useful product for cooking, and as animal feed.
Early maturing variety, capable of producing a crop after a hundred days from the time of planting. The flesh is very juicy, sweet, has a reddish-orange hue. It should be noted that the Prikubanskaya pumpkin gives at least small, but very stable and predictable yields.
The variety is mid-season, ripens in 130 days. Pumpkin has a large size, flat shape, skin color - gray-green with characteristic veins. Very pleasant sweet taste of pulp, besides fruits are stored for a long time without loss of taste.
Suitable region and climate
For the cultivation of nutmeg need a fairly warm climate. In the north of our country, you can grow this crop only in greenhouses. Do not forget that this vegetable came to us from the southern countries.
If you plan to grow nutmeg in our middle lane, choose varieties with early ripening. In this case, you get a good, high yield, and the flesh will have time to ripen, become juicy and sweet.
Fruits are usually harvested when they are not fully ripe, it is necessary to have time to harvest before frost occurs. So, in the cooler regions you need to harvest the nutmeg pumpkin as early as mid-August, and the climate of the middle lane allows harvesting until mid-September. After harvesting the pumpkins need to ripen - it takes, on average, a couple of months.
Pumpkin yield, cleaning and storage
But the pumpkin differs in quite a decent yield level - but depending on the variety, the amount and mass of fruits harvested from 1m2 can vary.
If you want consistently high yields, you should focus on such varieties as:
- Arabatskaya (up to 20 kg),
- Pearl (up to 8 kg),
- Marble (up to 10 kg),
- Vitamin (up to 7 kg).
The level of yield depends largely on the proper care: if you grow a pumpkin correctly, then any variety will be pleased with strong, strong and juicy fruits.
Two weeks before the planned harvest, the pumpkin needs to stop watering. Usually, the harvest is done from mid-August to mid-September - the exact date is determined by the precocity of the variety and the climate of the region.
To remove the fruits from the beds must be in advance before cooling. This plant does not tolerate frosts and temperature drops, so it is important to foresee this moment.
Clean in dry weather: it is necessary to cut the pumpkin with a pruner, leaving a 3-4 cm tail from the stalk. Do not forget that the nutmeg skin is unusual for such a large thin fruit, so try not to damage it. Fruits with damaged peel are poorly stored, they soon begin to rot.
Keep the pumpkin crop must be dry and warm. Note that correctly collected and intact fruits are stored for a very long time - until spring. However, six months after harvesting, a degradation in the taste of the pumpkin can be noticed - because of this, it is advisable to eat it earlier.
We learn how our gardeners, gardeners and farmers respond about growing nutmeg pumpkin.
Fedor, Voronezh: “I know about nutmeg for a long time, I have several varieties on the plot. I see pluses in the taste qualities of these vegetables, high yields. In addition, the nutmeg is stored for a long time - for example, Arabatskaya lies until the spring. Of the minuses, I note the need for manual pollination - this procedure does not always give its guaranteed results. Another pumpkin whimsical to watering - if the summer was rainy, the crop can not be seen at all - the fruit is prone to rotting. "
Valentine, Penza: “I have been growing a pumpkin for five years now - I like the taste of fruits very much - sweet, juicy. This pumpkin can be used in cooking as you like - and for canning, and for salads, and for baking, preparing juices, mashed potatoes. And for people with a sore stomach, this is generally a find - many varieties of nutmeg are dietary. I see a minus only in the need for early harvesting - this crop does not grow in a cool climate. ”
How to plant?
Step by step consider the entire process of direct planting pumpkin seeds.
In order for seedlings to be strong and viable by the time they are placed in open ground, 3-4 weeks have to pass from the moment of sowing the seeds. When the seeds in the fabric are full, they are placed in containers with the ground - there are two seeds in one container.
- It is recommended to cover the containers with a transparent film, then put them away in a dark but warm place.
- As soon as shoots appear, the containers are transferred to the lighted place, the film is removed.
- Then select their two shoots the weakest and remove it. In each tank in this way one germ remains.
- After a couple of weeks, start to make seedlings on the balcony, veranda, loggia, on the street for hardening.
- 3-4 weeks after sowing: at the end of May and beginning of June, you can plant pumpkin sprouts on a garden bed.
Keep in mind that there should be no night frost at the time of planting, and the soil should warm up to +10 degrees. Otherwise, the seedlings will not survive.
Diseases and pests of nutmeg
Если не соблюдать правила выращивания и ухода, тыква может легко быть поражена такими вредителями, как паутинный клещик и бахчевая тля. Чтобы не допустить заражения, следует избегать при посадке размещать рассаду слишком близко друг к другу (будет загущение). In addition, it is necessary to regularly clean the bed of weeds, to loosen the soil.
If pests have already been found, fight will have to be taken with radical measures using insecticides. If the defeat is not too strong, you can do with folk remedies: for example, with soapy water or wormwood tincture.
As for diseases, white rot and bacteriosis cause the greatest damage to the nutmeg. To cope with these diseases will help the treatment of bushes with a solution of blue vitriol, copper oxide
Briefly go through the most important points regarding the care of growing nutmeg pumpkin in the garden.
Soil moistening should be moderate - drought and excessive moisture are equally unacceptable. If there is a strong heat outside, and the garden bed is located under the sun, in the midday hours, shade the plants with straw or dry grass.
Marina from Kyoja
Vegetable originally from Italy. It resembles in appearance a sea monster, so the crust is a bit flattened, but the fruit has a round shape. Legend has it that this type of pumpkin was thrown to the people of Kyoja by the sea.
Medium late variety. The growing season is about 130 days. Pumpkins grow large, can weigh about 12 kg. Pumpkin in its composition has a high sugar content, therefore it is considered a versatile vegetable for cooking various dishes. Jam is made from it, jams are even added to cakes and puddings, and candied fruits are prepared.
This variety is considered mid-season. Fruits ripen on day 115. The plant is different in that it grows very powerful, so it is planted from each other at a great distance. Holes must be dug 100 cm apart.
Fruits grow medium size up to 4 kg. The flesh is bright orange, sweet to the taste. No wonder the fruit has such a name. The peculiarity is that the pumpkin remains immune to many diseases, easily tolerates temperature fluctuations.
Muscat de Provence
This variety is considered to be medium late, as it matures in 115–120 days. Muscat Provencal pumpkin has a thick crust. It contributes to the extension of the storage of fruits, while all its valuable qualities are preserved.
Fruits grow to 8-10 kg. The flesh is a rich orange color, with a very pleasant taste of honey. This variety is resistant to temperature extremes and diseases.
Hokkaido variety is becoming increasingly popular among lovers of vegetables. It is considered an early maturing plant. It may be different in shape: in the form of a pear, round, slightly flattened. Fruits are not very large. Weigh from 700 grams to 2.5 kg.
The flesh is found from yellow to almost red. The taste is reminiscent of sweet potatoes or chestnuts. The peel of the fruit may be green, white and gray. It has a high content of nutrients. To obtain a high yield requires timely watering and the introduction of dressings.
This is a late ripening variety; the vegetative period is 150 days. Therefore, it is better to grow with seedlings. The pumpkin grows round, the surface is uneven, its ribbing is noticeable. Orange peel, juicy sweet pulp. The average weight of the fetus is 10 kg.
Pumpkin differs bright orange fruits, in shape resembles a droplet. It matures in a short time for 95 days. The flesh has an orange color, very juicy with a taste of chestnuts.
Fruits are small, portioned. Weight is about 2 kg. Pumpkin Golden Pear prepare different dishes: casseroles, soups, porridges. Observe the planting scheme, the wells are dug out in about a meter.
This variety has a high yield. The fruits of the pumpkin Augustine ripen in 105 days. They have the shape of a cylinder, green in color, with small bright spots. This pumpkin is consumed raw for making salads, as well as preparing fragrant porridge, pancakes and mashed potatoes.
Mealy dew is a common disease of melons and gourds, including pumpkin. It can be recognized by the white specks, which initially appear on the leaves in a small amount, then over time they cover the entire leaf with white bloom.
The disease is fungal in nature. He gradually begins to suck all the nutrients out of the leaves, they completely dry out. This leads to a violation of the photosynthesis of the leaves, with time the fruit begins to deform, it ripens much later. The fungus lays spores on plants near the pumpkin, including weeds, inventory. They are carried from place to place by the wind.
The environment for the rapid development of the disease is considered very rare watering pumpkin, with frequent introduction of nitrates in the soil. It is better to choose those varieties that are resistant immunity from this disease.
A measure of prevention is the timely removal of weeds. When infected, the pumpkin can be treated with the following means: a solution of colloidal sulfur, as well as sodium phosphate. Can be treated with infusion of fresh mullein at the rate of 3: 1. Water is taken three times more.
A disease that is very difficult to recognize immediately, because changes occur with the root system. Roots become brown, soft and cracked. As a result, the lower leaves begin to turn yellow, and then the whole plant will die, the fruit will stop developing.
This disease is more susceptible to weak seedlings, and natural factors also have a negative effect if there are sharp temperature drops during day and night hours. Poor effect watering plants with cold water.
The control measures are the introduction of fungicide - Previkur. Near the neck of the pumpkin you can remove a small layer of earth and fall asleep a new one. Handle the leaves, sprinkling them with ash. Plant root at the root can be sprinkled with Fundazole.
This disease is recognized by pumpkin leaves covered with brownish spots. Then they dry out and crumble, become full of holes and gradually dry.
The disease goes on to the stalks and the fruit itself. They are painted black with a pinkish tinge. Plants die, fruits turn out shriveled and do not develop. For treatment, apply Bordeaux mixture or copper oxychloride (HOM).
The disease can affect young plants. It is determined by the mosaic color of the leaves with alternating yellow and green spots. In this disease, pumpkin growth slows down. Plants are treated strictly according to the instructions of the drug Pharmaiod-3.
One of the common pests. It starts up from the bottom side of the leaf, gradually wraps its leaf completely with its web. It feeds on nutrients from the leaves. They become rough and hard, crack and the plant dies out gradually.
The mite spreads particularly well when hot weather is established without raining. For prevention, it is recommended to spray the plants with infusion of garlic or onion peel, or, in extreme cases, Karbofos.
Often affects pumpkin melon aphid. She colonies plant on the back of the sheet. It feeds on the sap of the plant, the leaves gradually dry, and the pumpkin dies.
It is recommended to treat the leaves with wormwood, celandine, onion peels and garlic. It is advisable to attract ladybirds, which will begin to fight these pests. If you can use a lot of them Tryphos or Karbofos.
These pests love to feast on young leaves and sprouts. Usually they hide during the day, but they are clearly visible in the evening and at night. They have a great appetite. Prefer moisture and heat.
To combat use thunder powder or ash. Spray herbal infusions of garlic, chamomile and wormwood.
These are the larvae of the click beetle. They harm the root system of young plants. They are collected mechanically, arranging bait. Next to the pumpkin, they enclose potatoes, beets, when they are harvested a lot in potatoes, they are thrown together with wireworms.
If there are too many of them, then Bezudin will process the soil.