Carrots are the most sought-after vegetable among consumers. It can be purchased on store shelves all year round. But the root crop will bring the big advantage if to grow up it independently on the seasonal dacha. This can be done subject to certain rules for growing carrots.
Virtually any culture before planting in the spring should be fertilized, and this can be done in the spring after planting in the country, or later fertilized directly into the hole. How to properly care for carrots, how much and what kind of fertilizer to apply, about the little tricks of manure and humus, how to carry out frequent watering and how to love the plant will be discussed in the article.
Terms of carrot sowing in the open ground
Before sowing seeds in the open ground, the gardener must decide why he grows carrots and when he wants to get a harvest. Sowing dates:
- Early spring sowing from April 15 to May 15. All June it is already possible to collect carrots on a bunch, and with the arrival of August enjoy the sweet root crops.
- Summer seeding May 15 to June 10. Harvesting will be at the end of September, this carrot is laid in the cellar for winter storage.
- Sub-winter sowing from October 20 to November 15 allows you to use a young root before harvesting the main crop. The main thing is to choose the right place for the beds - it must be on a hill so that the spring thaw of snow does not drown the seeds.
If you sow in all possible time, then fresh vegetables will be on the table all year round.
Choosing a place for garden beds in the garden
It is no secret that carrots are an unpretentious root crop, but to obtain a rich harvest, it is still necessary to create comfortable conditions. When choosing a place for gardeners, the gardener should take into account:
- this vegetable culture is developing well on a lighted area,
- fertile loamy-sandy soil with 4% humus and neutral acidity of 6-7 pH,
- Earlier, potatoes, tomatoes, corn and legumes were grown at the site of sowing,
- not to be used for growing beds where spicy herbs (dill, parsley, fennel, etc.) have grown before,
- can't plant a vegetable on the same plot 2 years in a row.
Large roots of the correct form grow on peat soilsthat were formed after drying the swamps. And on clay soil carrots will acquire an ugly shape due to strong resistance to growth.
Before frost, the area for vegetables is necessary dig, remove roots and stones. But do not drive the spade too deep into the ground and destroy the fertile layer. Dig to a depth of about 0.3 meters. With the onset of spring, level and deeply loosen the surface.
On peat soils carrots will be large and regular shape.
How to plant seeds to get good shoots
Gardeners practice a variety of carrot planting techniques, all of which have their own advantages and disadvantages:
- Sowing seeds considered the fastest way. The gardener simply pours dry seed into prepared beds. At the same time, the consumption of seeds cannot be called economical, and the seedlings will be too thick and uneven.
- Dragee - These are seeds placed in a nutrient shell, shoots are friendly and strong. Their seeding is a point distribution in small pits. The cost of pelleted seeds is higher, but it is not necessary to spend time on thinning.
- Pre germinated seeds give quick shoots. But in the absence of rain, water will have to be prematurely preserved, sprouts too weak and unable to cope with the pressure of the earth.
- Roll method implies sticking small seeds on long strips of paper. To plant it is necessary only to lay out strips in a bed, prikopat the earth and to water well and to fertilize. Shoots appear evenly, but a little later.
- Liquid paste cook from potato starch, cool to room temperature and mix with mineral fertilizers. In the resulting liquid, pour the seeds and mix quickly. Paste uniformly in the grooves. With this method will not have to thin out landing.
Can bed cover with film for 2-3 weeks before the appearance of the first shoots. Thus, the growth of plants will not prevent the weeds, and on the soil will not form a crust, which prevents the penetration of moisture to the roots.
If dry planting material is selected for sowing, additional preparation is required. You can disinfect by soaking the seeds in water heated to 40 degrees. But it is better to hold them. in solution of potassium permanganate - 1 g of substance per 100 ml of liquid. The procedure should not exceed 20 minutes, after the seeds must be well washed with clean water and dried.
Some gardeners already at the stage of seed preparation use specialized plant growth stimulants. But for an environmentally friendly crop to do it is not recommended.
Fertilizers, supplements and folk remedies
A gardener will harvest a crop that is average in quality and quantity, if it is limited to fertilizer application in the autumn digging of a plot.
So, first time feed a vegetable a month after the entrances. In 10 l. water dissolve 1 tbsp. l nitrophosphate is a classic mineral fertilizer containing nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. The same solution is applied and in the second feeding in 2 weeks and in the third - at the beginning of August.
The best potash fertilizer is such a folk remedy as tincture of ash. For its preparation it is necessary to pour in parts of 150 grams of dry ash into a bucket of water. Stir the mixture until the ash is completely dissolved. In 10 l. water dilute 1 liter. tinctures and this liquid to feed and water the roots of carrots or beets during the second half of the growing season.
In addition, it is recommended to put foliar dressing during the formation and ripening of vegetables. Spray the green aerial part of the plant with a solution of boric acid (1 tsp. For 10 l. Of water).
The best potash fertilizer is ash tincture.
How to water during the growing period
When growing root vegetables special meaning playing watering system. After all, with insufficient soil moisture, the young roots of the plant will die, and overflowing the beds will lead to the fact that only livestock can be harvested.
Therefore, immediately after sowing, the period of proper watering of the beds begins:
- To stimulate the input method is applied sprinkling (300-400 m3 / ha), and after - a few receptions drip irrigation (20-30 m3 / ha).
- After the appearance of inputs, depending on weather conditions, irrigation is carried out. every 2-3 days small amount of water.
- During the formation of root crops, the soil moisture regime changes - the frequency decreases, the volume of water increases.
- Active growth of vegetables is accompanied by rare watering (1 time in 7-10 days), but moisture should penetrate into the ground to a depth of 10-15 cm.
- One month before harvest watering do not exercise even in the absence of rain. Excess moisture during this period will reduce the taste and keeping quality of vegetables.
One of the most unloved affairs of gardeners is weeding the beds. But without this tedious occupation is not enough, otherwise you can lose the entire crop because of the "attack" of weeds.
At the initial stage, when the plants have not yet risen, the area with crops is recommended cover it in several layers with newspapers and cover it with a film on top. With this method, the soil warms up well and moisture is preserved in it, but weeds cannot actively grow. After 2 weeks of innovative shelter should be removed and wait for the emergence of seedlings.
After 10-15 days the plant appears first real sheet - This is a signal to the beginning of weeding. It is necessary to do the procedure very carefully, so that together with the weeds do not grab cultural shoots.
When the 2nd leaf is formed, weeding combined with thinningif sowing was carried out randomly and planting thickened. Between plants there should be a distance of 2-3 cm. At the same time, it is important to pull the shoots upwards, not to the side, otherwise the neighboring vegetable will have a damaged root.
Weeding and thinning are necessary throughout the growing season.
It is most convenient to thin out with the help of female eyebrow plucking device - tweezers. It captures even the thinnest shoots without harming the rest of the plants.
During the entire period of growth between the beds and the plants, weeds need to be weeded and the soil loosened. A month after the first thinning, repeat the procedure so that there is a distance of 4-5 cm between the roots, but the vegetables that have already been pulled out can be eaten.
It takes a lot of time and effort to grow carrots, but a rich and high-quality crop of healthy vegetables will block all inconveniences. The main thing is to follow the basic rules of planting and caring for plants. And then a tasty and crunchy vegetable will be in the daily diet of the whole family, he will give all his nutrients and trace elements.
It is required to choose a bright place before growing carrots. The secret lies in the fact that with a lack of sunlight due to falling shadow or uneven surface of the bed, roots lose their sugar content and mass.
Before you grow a good crop of carrots, you need to choose a light and smooth soil. It should be sandy, loamy, with good drainage. In dense loam fruits grow small, during storage, they are quickly affected by rot. Carrots can not be planted on acidic soils. It requires a neutral or weakly acidic medium.
Before you grow a good carrot, you need to prepare the soil. The bed is prepared in the fall so that it settles. It is made loose. To do this, add sawdust, humus, peat or sand. For liming used chalk, lime, dolomite, ash. Manure for the cultivation of carrots should not be used, because it turns out not very beautiful and poorly stored roots. Humus should be brought into poor soil — a bucket per square meter. If the groundwater is close, the beds are made high.
The arable layer is well formed with the help of green manure roots - plants that create a good soil structure. They are sown in the fall to plant carrots in this place in the spring. Also a good soil structure is created by worms and microorganisms.
Carrot beds should be constantly changed. Precursors should be garlic, onions, cabbage, potatoes. How to grow large carrots, if you have to grow the same crop in the same place? It will help the introduction of wood ash twice a year in the amount of 0.2 kg / m 2 followed by digging.
In the spring, one week before planting, the bed is leveled, loosened, treated with a 0.3% solution of vitriol, watered with warm water, and then covered with a film of polyethylene. During this time, it will retain moisture and warms up well in the sun.
Soak with nutrient solution
Use a weak solution of potassium permanganate with the addition of ½ tsp of fertilizer per liter of water or a mixture of nitrophosphate and boric acid (1/3 tsp and 1/2 tsp per liter of water, respectively). Seeds are scattered on the gauze folded several times, and covered with it on top and poured with a solution for a day. The fluid level should be slightly higher than the tissue. They are then washed with water and refrigerated for three to four days.
If the weather does not allow the seeds to be planted, they are left on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator, keeping them moist all the time. At the same time, care must be taken that they do not grow more than 0.5 cm.
Choosing a spot
- Carrots should be placed in well-lit areas. Growing in the shade will lead to a significant decrease in yield and deterioration of taste. Therefore, it is necessary to allocate a territory for carrots that is under direct sunlight throughout the day.
- In addition, it is necessary to take into account crop rotation - the order of growing crops in a particular plot.
You can not plant carrots annually on the same bed or after such plants:
Ideal "predecessors" for this root will be:
The timing of sowing carrots
Experienced gardeners know how important the correct sowing time is. Productivity of root crops directly depends on it. After all, the time of ripening of different varieties varies considerably. In addition, it is necessary to focus on the desired time of harvest.
Need to focus on the desired time of harvest
To get an early carrot, the so-called "beam products", practice subwinter or spring crops early ripening varieties. True, the first option is not possible in all climatic zones. In harsh winters, seeds freeze out even under a thick layer of covering material. Therefore, it is better to give preference early spring crops. They can be carried out immediately after the top layer of soil warms up.
The reversible cooling will negatively affect the level of “keeping quality” of root crops and may provoke the active formation of flower arrows. But for beam products, these flaws are not a hindrance. That is why early ripening varieties can be sown much earlier.
Carrots with a long ripening season are excellent for storage. But they are recommended to be sown after stable heat is established (+15. +18 ° С).
Seed preparation and sowing
Preplanting preparation allows you to immediately identify the "defective" seeds and accelerates germination. Therefore, we should not neglect this stage. Moreover, the procedure does not require virtually any effort.
Carrot seeds. Photo from bunny-bites.netlify.com
- To begin, the seeds must be filled with warm water. After 10 hours, the entire "illiquid" will emerge.
- To accelerate germination in a week or even more, it is necessary to carry out another simple manipulation. Seeds are placed on a wet piece of cloth or cotton and so kept for several days. The air temperature should vary between +20 ° C and +24 ° C. In such conditions, after three days the seeds will spill - fragile roots will appear.
- Before planting carrots, you must dig up the grooves and moisten them well. They should not be too small, so that strong gusts of wind do not spread the seeds throughout the site. You can not make grooves and too deep. Otherwise, the seeds will not germinate at all. The optimal embedment depth varies from 2 to 3 cm. The distance between adjacent grooves is at least 15 cm, between seeds - at least 2 cm.
Caring beds with carrots
In order for the carrot to grow sweet and beautiful, regular tillage should be carried out. The first weeding may be required before the seed germination. The proximity of weeds detrimental effect on the development of carrots. Therefore, they must be eliminated immediately after the appearance.
The soil in the garden should always be loose. Soil compaction and the formation of a crust provoke a curvature of root crops. They can grow large, but the appearance will be quite unpresentable. Therefore, loosening the soil in the garden - a mandatory procedure.
To carrots grown large, it is necessary to monitor the level of thickened crops. The first thinning is carried out immediately after the leaves appear on the plants. The distance between adjacent carrots leave about 3 centimeters. If the seeds were sown sparsely, then there is no need for the first thinning. When two pairs of leaves appear, the procedure is repeated, increasing the distance between neighboring plants twice.
Watering and fertilizing
Juicy, sweet roots grow only among those who do not spare their time and energy for watering. Lack of moisture - the cause of bitterness and lethargy carrots. And watering is equally important. at all stages of plant development. The depth of moisture should match the size of the root. The bed of an adult carrot must be watered so that the water soaks a layer of 30 cm.
During the season, carrot enough to feed two times. The first introduction should be carried out 3-4 weeks after emergence of shoots, the second - in a couple of months. The most convenient way to apply fertilizer in liquid form. To do this, add a bucket of water to your choice:
- tablespoon of nitrofoski,
- two glasses of wood ash,
- a mixture of 20 g of potassium nitrate, 15 g of urea and double superphosphate.
Pest and disease control
The main enemy of root crops is the carrot fly. Its presence can be identified by the presence of twisted leaves. The best protection against pests is proper care for carrots. The insect appears on thickened, overgrown with weeds or overly wet beds. To combat the carrot fly use chemicals: Intavir, Aktellik and others.
Carrots are weakly affected. Most often, problems arise due to Alternaria or fomoz. Considerably to reduce the risk of developing diseases will help the treatment of the bed with a 1% solution. How to make it, you will learn from the article Bordeaux mixture and the rules for its preparation.
Heat treatment of seeds consists in their successive immersion in hot and cold water. They are poured into a bag and rinsed at a temperature of 50 degrees, and then dipped in a solution of humate and kept warm for two days. As a result, germination is accelerated not only carrots, but also parsley, dill.
Among the many varieties of carrots, you can easily choose the best option for spring and winter sowing.The most fruitful are:
- Queen of Autumn,
Alenka- an early grade of carrots. She gets a presentation in 50 days after germination. The length of root crops reaches 12-15 cm, weight - up to 145 g.
'Alenka'. Photo from fermilon.ru
'Tushon' - early carrot, which can be used for cooking two months after the appearance of the first shoots. The average weight of root crops is 150 g, length - 20 cm.
'Nantes' belongs to the category of mid-season. Full maturity occurs no earlier than 85-90 days after planting. Blunt root vegetables gain weight up to 165 g. Average length is 16 cm.
'Vitamin' - mid-season variety with a high concentration of carotene. This carrot is ready for harvest in 110-120 days after the emergence of mass shoots. Root length - up to 15 cm, weight - up to 150 g.
'Queen of Autumn' - late-ripe carrots, ideal for winter storage. It needs 125-135 days to fully mature. The mass of one root - about 160 g, length - up to 20 cm.
The best conditions for carrots
This plant is open ground. Seedlings grow carrots in our latitudes there is no need. The first of the specific conditions for carrots is ground.
The quality of the soil for carrots is very important.
Soil for carrots
It should be loose. Most often in our gardens heavy soil.
A carrot is needed:
- loam or sandstone,
- increased fertility
- well aerated,
- with additional baking powder (sand)
- with as close as possible to a neutral value of acidity (pH 6-7),
- moisture absorbing
- not forming soil crust.
Soil for carrots - we prepare high-quality soil
It is desirable to observe these conditions not separately, but all at once. They are all important, but most importantly, perhaps, the looseness of the soil. Oxygen must be supplied to the root, otherwise it will have low taste and suffer from fungal diseases.
Important! When sowing seeds in an insufficiently loose and moisture-absorbing soil, their germination rate is greatly reduced.
Predecessors suitable and not very
The second important factor. The plant can not be grown in one place even two years in a row. Carrots are not suitable in monocultures, since already in the second year of cultivation in the old place aphids, nematodes, alternariosis and especially carrot flies begin to be affected.
Good carrots can not be grown without adhering to agricultural technology
The place of cultivation of the root must be changed annually. Return to the old - not earlier than the fourth year.
What factors have a negative impact on the cultivation of carrots
So, before you start planting and growing carrots, you first need to figure out what factors lead to lower yields.
- Poor impact on the quality and abundance of the future harvest can, poor soil composition. A carrot planted on clay soil or in dense soil will never grow well. Also, do not wait for high-quality harvest in the event that the seedlings are planted in the soil with a high content of stones, rhizomes, rubble or acid. If you ignore these conditions when choosing a soil, the carrot will not grow well, it will have a very unpleasant taste and will have a disproportionate shape.
- When choosing a planting place should not be in the shade, since the lack of stable illumination by sunlight will lead to inhibition of the growth of root crops.
- Improper feeding and seating can also have a bad effect on the quality and quantity of the crop.
- It is necessary to water the carrots very carefully, since the excessive presence of moisture in the soil can cause the opposite effect - despite the fact that the seedlings grow quickly, the fruits from the excess of liquid will begin to become very rough and lose their taste qualities, as a result, the roots become unsuitable for consumption.
- Excessively dry soil is also not suitable for carrots, as a prolonged drought can deprive the roots of juiciness and taste.
- Frequent changes in temperature regimes always result in cracking carrots, which often happens when the heat changes sharply with prolonged rains and cooling.
- In order for carrots to grow well, it must be thinned. But, if this process is done carelessly, it can lead to damage to the roots of the roots and the death of the roots.
- An overabundance of nitrogen fertilizers, top-dressings with a high content of trace elements, manure can also have a bad effect on the future harvest. It should be remembered that the carrot loves the measure in everything.
The carrot is rather favorable to other plantings near it and tolerates the soil on which vegetables were planted last year. It is especially good to plant root crops on the soil in which cabbage, onions, tomatoes or garlic used to grow.
Thus, it is possible to plant a root crop in mixed plantings without fear that the crop will be scarce.
However, besides this, the root crop also has incompatible crops, next to which or after which it is not recommended to plant carrots in the soil: horseradish, dill, apple, anise, beets and celery.
Growing carrots: the rules of soil preparation
Before you grow carrots, you must first make a choice, suitable for sowing seeds, soil. The productivity of the harvest will depend on this stage in the future.
- Set the stage must be in advance in the fall. To this end, at the end of September, the ground is thoroughly dug up and removed from the soil all foreign objects: old roots, stones, sticks, etc. This approach will help to get the next year a quality crop without any deformations.
- In the process of digging up the ground, it is recommended leave large blocks. This approach will help to delay the penetration of moisture into the soil and contribute to the freezing of harmful insects.
- For planting seeds should choose a place well lit by sunlight. As mentioned above, if the carrots are planted in a shady place, this will lead to a loss of sugar content and taste of the root.
- The best soil for carrots will be sandy and slightly clayey soil. If this is not possible, then you can choose a slightly acidic soil. Moreover, it is possible to neutralize the acid independently, by sprinkling chalk on the soil or with ordinary lime. If the soil is heavy, then it can be softened by using sawdust, peat or sand.
- Experts do not advise to use manure to feed the soilbecause it leads to the fact that the harvest is obtained deformed, and the roots are very poorly stored.
- If the soil is not rich in nutrients and microelements, it is recommended to season it with humus in the fall. And to create a normal structure of the soil, it is recommended to create an arable layer by planting the green manure roots in the fall.
- Already in spring, before planting seeds, The soil is recommended to be leveled with a rake.. Also 1-2 weeks before planting, the soil should be fertilized with a 0.3% sulphate solution. After that, two weeks before the immediate planting of the seeds, it is necessary to water the soil well and cover it with film to create a greenhouse effect and warm up the soil a little.
Growing carrots: rules for seed preparation
The quality of carrots and the amount of the crop depends on many factors. However, the fundamental success is the competent choice and proper preparation of seeds.
- Since, in practice, not all seeds germinate, but only 60-80 percent, they must be purchased in specialized stores. You should always look at the fact that the seeds were fresh.
- Before planting seeds they need to carefully inspect and sort out, so that poor-quality grains do not fall into the soil, as in the future they simply will not grow. It should also be remembered that the process of germination of seeds planted at the same time may differ, since they grow unevenly and this is considered the norm.
- For a more accurate result and identifying substandard seeds, you can calibrate them. The essence of the method lies in the fact that all the seeds are poured into warm water and slightly mixed so that they can get a little moisture. Good seeds will go under water, while defective seeds will remain on the surface of the liquid. Good seeds are left, soaked for a day in warm water, then removed and dried, and used for sowing.
- If there are a lot of seeds, they should check for germination. This procedure takes ten days. It is necessary to take a saucer, place a usual napkin on its bottom, evenly distribute seeds on its surface, then soak with water and cover with glass containers on top. After that, the entire structure must be covered with a bag and put in a warm place. After 10 days, you can check for germination: if it is at least 75-80 percent, then the seeds are good and suitable for planting, if less than 65-60 percent, it is better not to suffer and waste time on these seeds.
Growing carrots: rules for planting seeds in open ground
There are several basic technologies for planting seeds, each of which is efficient and reliable in its own way.
- Before you begin planting, the seeds should be soaked. To do this, they fall asleep in pre-prepared fabric bags, leave for a day in warm water. In this case, the water should be changed at least once every four hours. Well, in order to nourish the seeds with useful substances, wood ash can be added to the water (about 30 grams per liter of water). After which the seeds are washed and immediately for several days, for hardening, placed in the freezer.
- After that, it is necessary take the seeds and mix with fine sand. To do this, take a tablespoon of carrot seeds, pour into a glass of sand and mix thoroughly. The resulting mass is evenly divided into three parts and used for planting in the ratio of 1 part of seeds per square meter of the bed.
- Liquid method of planting seeds also loved by many summer residents. To do this, pre-germinated seeds are required to mix with the prepared starch solution in order to produce a sticky texture. The resulting mass should be placed in a plastic bottle per liter and a half, close the lid, make a small hole in it so that the seeds freely seep through it. After that, the seeds can be planted in the prepared furrows, directly from the bottle.
- Another one planting technique is to mix the finished seeds simultaneously with the seeds of any beacon varieties, for example, with radish or any salad. The bottom line is that the seeds of these crops germinate much earlier than carrots, so you can always see where the first shoots of carrots are. Knowing the exact location, it is possible to systematically weed the beds without fear that the carrot sprouts can be damaged.
After the seeds are planted in the ground, they must be lightly sprinkled with loose earth and fertilize the soil. For this, peat, previously mixed with the ground, is most suitable.
Since the carrot grows for a very long time - about three months, planting seeds is best in May. In this case, the first harvest can be obtained as early as mid-September. The most suitable time for planting seeds is considered to be until the fifth of May.
How to grow carrots to get a rich harvest: the secrets of care
To get a wonderful harvest with large, sweet and crispy carrots, the root crop must be systematically taken care of. This process includes several required steps.
The first sprouts, seeds can give at a temperature of three degrees of heat. But to the extent that carrots are among the varieties of root crops that not bad carry small frosts (to minus four degrees), and dying at minus eight, you should monitor the maintenance of the desired temperature mode.
Systematic watering - It is an integral part of caring for growing carrots. With insufficient moisture, the root can die. Therefore, watering the seedlings should be at least three times a week - half a bucket of water per square meter of soil is enough. As soon as the seeds germinate well, and the root system is strengthened, it should be watered no more than once a week - a sufficient amount of water per square meter is no more than 20 liters. A couple of weeks before harvesting, watering should stop.
After disembarking, first 10 days later, and then after 20 days, it will be necessary transplant seedlingsto thin the beds. This should be done if the sprouted shoots are very close to each other. If you do not thinning, you will not be able to grow large root vegetables, as they will interfere with each other, fully develop. In the first case (after 10 days) the distance between the shoots should be at least three centimeters, and in the second (after 20 days) - at least five centimeters. It is recommended to do thinning in the morning hours, and at the end of the procedure it is necessary to pour the soil where the seedlings were planted and the area where they remained to grow.
The necessary procedure is systematic weedingwhere carrots are planted. Weed grass with strong roots interferes with the normal growth and development of root crops, therefore, it is necessary to fight weeds all the time, at least once every ten days.
What you need to get a rich harvest of carrots
For the tops to germinate normally, it is required periodically loosen the soil. Since the presence of a thick crust of the earth leads to poor germination of seedlings.
A beautiful and tasty carrot can only appear if its periodically feed. Therefore, an important stage of care is the introduction of useful components in the soil. For these purposes, perfect chicken droppings, ash, mullein or humus, previously diluted in water. It is necessary to feed the plant at least two times in one season. The first time is best done three to four weeks after the first shoots, and the second time only after a few months. Frequent feeding of carrots can lead to the opposite effect, therefore a measure is needed in this matter.
Of course, to get a good harvest, you need carry out insect control. The most common scourge for carrots is a carrot fly. Well, in order to prevent its occurrence, it should be after planting seeds - around the beginning of May, sprinkle ashes, tobacco ash or hot pepper between the ridges. You can also prevent the development of various diseases. To do this, plant carrots in the beds where cabbage or onions had previously grown. You should also timely change the location of the beds, and do it better every year.
Growing carrots: expert advice
To grow a decent cropThe following rules should be followed:
- seedlings grow well in the soil where onions or cabbage used to grow,
- it is best to buy colored varieties of seeds, to the extent they are initially processed with a useful tool, a fungicide,
- you should never plant carrots with seedlings - this leads to the deformation of root crops, weight loss and taste. The best way of planting a root crop is planting with the help of seeds,
- seeds should be planted in early spring, immediately after the black cherry has flowered,
- if you plant seeds for the winter, then the first harvest will be available in the month of July,
- when seeding root vegetables, they should not be dragged on to the tops, as it is possible to damage not only her, but also the roots. For these purposes, you need suitable equipment, such as forks or special rake,
- it is best to plant several different varieties with different ripening periods at the same time. Since early varieties are very poorly stored and suitable for daily use, while later varieties are better stored and suitable for winter harvesting,
- always follow the rules for caring for root vegetables, otherwise you can lose a good harvest,
- with regard to storage of the crop, it is best done in a dark and well-ventilated area. Such an approach will help to avoid rotting of root crops, as well as damage by various putrefactive and fungal infections.
As you can see, there are no special tricks and difficulties in the process of growing carrots. This root variety is unpretentious in the care and does not require special attention. The main thing is to carry out watering, feeding in time and not to allow carrots to become infected with pests.
Sparging speeds up the seed preparation process. At the bottom of a non-metal container with water down the air or oxygen supply hose with an emery stone filter at the end. From above place a grid with seeds.
In the process of bubbling the water is saturated with air. At home, this is enough for a small aquarium compressor. The time of bubbling carrot seeds is 17-24 hours. After the material is removed to the middle shelf of the refrigerator, where it is stored for 3-5 days. Before sowing, the seeds are dried for 12 hours, so that they become loose, and sown.
Burial of seeds in the soil
Dry seeds are placed in bags of cloth and buried in the ground with a shovel to the depth of one bayonet, where they must be at least 10-12 days. Then they take out and sow in the garden. After such a treatment, seedlings should appear in five days.
Другой способ заключается в смешивании семян с влажным торфом и их выдерживании в теплом месте не менее одной недели. За этот период они успевают прорасти, после чего их высевают. Перед посадкой в грунт семена просушивают в течение 20-25 минут на пергаменте или ткани при комнатной температуре.
How to grow carrots. Secrets of sowing and care
Before planting, seeds are selected and purchased that are most suitable for a particular region. They can also be obtained independently. Before you grow carrot seeds, you should find a good and large root vegetable, and then plant it in spring. By the fall it will ripen.
Carrots grow about three months. To receive a crop in September, landing should be made not later than May. Sowing dates take the period from the end of April to the first decade of June. The best is landing until May 5.
By winter, carrots are planted when the soil is cold enough. This may be from the end of October to the beginning of November. The dates of sowing and harvesting depend on the variety and region. Northern varieties should not be planted in the south, as they will grow slowly. If you grow in the middle zone of the southern varieties, they give abundant tops, and the roots do not develop. Some varieties bred abroad are poorly stored.
Harvesting should be done on time, otherwise the useful properties and the keeping quality of the roots may deteriorate.
Small carrot seeds should be evenly decomposed in the groove. Therefore, they are mixed with sand or peat and sown in a garden bed.
How to grow carrots so that it does not interfere with the growth of neighboring rows? To ensure sufficient illumination, the beds should be made narrow — no more than four rows of carrots. Along the edge make the bumpers to prevent water running off. The distance between the rows should be 15 cm, and for later varieties - 20 cm. The bed is watered and sprinkled with ashes. Seeds are placed in the grooves at a distance of about 2.5 cm.
When spring-summer plantings, swollen seeds are planted shallowly - by 3-4 cm. They should be sprinkled with very light soil, which is used as chernozem, mixed with peat, sand or humus. Then a ventilation gap is made from the film at a distance of about 12-15 cm above the bed.
The first shoots in warm weather appear in a week. If the temperature is below 12 degrees, the time is doubled. If there are vacant places, additional sowing is done.
For many gardeners, the question of how to grow early carrots is problematic. In fact, it is not difficult. In the autumn, early-class carrots are sown to a depth of 2 cm, and then sprinkled with mulch to a height of 3-4 cm. The soil temperature should be below +5 degrees. When there is little snow in winter, the beds additionally cover them to a height of up to 50 cm. With this method of planting, the crop is harvested earlier than usual for 2-3 weeks.
How to grow a good harvest of carrots, if it has grown well? For this you need to do a thorough thinning of the seedlings after the appearance of the third sheet. All this is not as simple as it seems at first glance. In order for plants to be well removed, the bed should be watered and the soil carefully loosened. In addition, the operation should be performed during the day in order not to attract a pest - a carrot fly flying in the evening.
Sprouts should be removed with tweezers, leaving a distance of at least 2 cm. Remove the smallest shoots. The tops are thrown away from the garden. Leave it next to in no case be impossible not to attract pests. A good deterrent is the onion arrows, which are crushed and scattered on the garden. You can cover the crops with special material. The land around the plants is slightly crushed. After 20 days, the thinning is repeated. At the same time between the carrots leave a distance of 6 cm.
Row spacing is required to loosen and weed (at least once a week) in order to get enough oxygen to the roots. After thinning the aisle, mulch with compost or sawdust soaked for several weeks in 2-3% urea solution should be mulched.
How to grow large carrots? It needs the right dosage of fertilizer. They can not be made immediately in large quantities. Carrot beds begin to fertilize with mineral water when 5-6 sheets appear. The frequency of feeding is 2-4 weeks. This culture especially does not like excess nitrogen.
In the process of growth, the upper part of the root crop comes out of the ground and turns green. It does no harm, but the taste gets worse. How to grow sweet carrots so that it does not lose its taste? When root crops emerge from the ground, they are spud, raking up ground about 50 mm high on them.
Watering carrot beds
Poor germination of carrots is primarily associated with drying out of the soil. Until it has risen, the top layer of the bed should be constantly wet. Sometimes the land should be watered even several times a day. Particularly hard to germinate granulated seeds. Immediately after sowing, the bed is protected with a film so that the top layer does not dry out.
Until the roots appear, watering is done in 3-4 days by 3-4 buckets per 1 m 2. At the same time they grow independently in depth and find moisture. Therefore, watering is done once a week for 1-2 buckets per m 2, and since the end of August - once every 1.5-2 weeks, 8-10 liters per square. For two weeks the beds are kept without irrigation until harvest.
Rough root crops are an indication that they lacked moisture. With its oversupply, the fruits grow small. Also sharp drops from drying to excess moisture, leading to cracking of the carrot and subsequent poor preservation, are harmful.
Carrots are not afraid of cold weather, but at temperatures below 8 degrees starch in root crops turns into sugar, and the keeping quality of root crops worsens. In the middle lane, the crop is harvested at the end of September in dry weather.
Harvested carrots are dried for 1.5-2 hours, and then cut the tops. The harvest is sorted, even carrots fit into a ventilated box in a dark and cool place. It can be a cellar or basement.
History of origin
Carrot - A popular representative of the umbrella family. The area of distribution in the wild: Africa, New Zealand, America, Australia and the territory of the Mediterranean. In modern plant growing, this root vegetable crop is grown in the form of carrot seed (cultivated), which combines many fodder and table varieties.
People are engaged in the cultivation of useful vegetables of the order of four millennia, during which all new plant species constantly appeared. It is believed that the people of Afghanistan, where most of the varieties of this crop are still found, began to grow carrots first. Initially, the roots were grown not for eating, but because of the possibility to get fragrant leaves and seeds.
The culture has got to the countries of Europe in the period from X to XIII centuries of the last millenniumand as for the appearance in Russia, based on the references to the vegetable in the chronicles of “Domostroi” of the XVI century, it can be concluded that it was widely distributed in this period among Rus.
The main characteristics of carrots
Carrots are planted for the taste of the nutritional part, which is a taproot reaching a length of 10 to 30 centimeters, and around 3 to 5 centimeters in circumference. Root crops may have a cylindrical, round or conical shape, which is determined by the plant variety. Brightness of color due to the high content of pigment.
Depending on the type, in addition to the usual rich orange color, there are vegetables reddish, pink, yellow and even unusual purple. The flowering period begins the next year after planting, as evidenced by the formation of complex inflorescences in the form of 12–15-beam umbrellas consisting of a red central flower surrounded by small flowers of white, reddish or yellowish hue.
Root vegetables are rich in content carotene, flavonoids, natural antioxidants, sugar, ascorbic and pantothenic acids, vitamins C, E, K, B, micro and macronutrients - zinc, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, iodine, iron. Carrots impose increased requirements with respect to temperature, which affects the color, shape, germination, growth and other important indicators. Vegetable is characterized by relative cold resistance and love of moisture.
Features of the cultivation of carrot culture
Gardeners with experience practice the cultivation of carrots in greenhouses for the possibility of obtaining a very early harvest. To do this, it suffices to plant single rows of seeds around the perimeter of the common greenhouse at a small distance from the walls of the pavilion. In this case, the carrots will grow so intensively that when high tops begin to form that can prevent the growth of the main crops, tasty root vegetables can already be harvested. True, most of the gardeners prefer to cultivate vegetables in the traditional way.in open ground.
Despite the unpretentiousness of the root, an important condition for high yield of vegetables of open ground is the observance of agrotechnical aspects of its cultivation. This concerns the correct choice of place for placing carrots, time of disembarkation and compliance with the technology of planting seeds.
What is the best place to plant carrots?
To harvest a quality carrot crop, it is important to choose the site for planting. The place for the beds should be well lit: it is unacceptable that the plants were deficient in solar heat and light, which is why the roots will become hard, thin and with questionable taste properties. If you plant a culture on sufficiently ventilated beds, which are intensely illuminated by the sun, vegetables will delight you with a sweet taste, be crisp and juicy.
The earth should be loose, richly fertilized with organic matter. Poor soils enrich with nitrogen tukas at the rate of 15 grams of nutrient composition per square.
The most suitable types of soil cover are:
- Medium loam, characterized by the ability to pass moisture well,
- The sandy soil is in many respects similar to sandstone, but containing more clay components, due to which mineral compounds are better retained in such a land.
As for the acid-base balance, the preferred indicator of the pH level varies from 5.7 to 7, and the increased acidity of the soil becomes the reason for adding chalk, dolomite flour or ash. The greater the length of the root crop is characterized by the selected variety of carrots, the more loose and saturated the oxygen content should be the soil.
Pretreatment of soil with nutrient compositions ensures high yields. The best option is to apply rotted manure in the proportions of 1 bucket per square, while it is important to avoid direct contact with the roots of plants. Using pre-harvested compost implies a similar ratio. Loamy soil should be loosened with sawdust at the rate of 3 liters per square meter.
From the range of mineral fertilizers, it is preferable to purchase:
- Ammofoscu or azofosku,
- Combined preparations, saturated with a mixture of nitrogen and phosphorus.
To improve the taste of carrot culture allows the use of liquid potassium tukov, made in the last place. When making nitrogen-containing compounds should be careful, most importantly, abide by the measure.
What crops will be good neighbors and the best precursor plants for carrots?
The composition of carrots, saturated with essential oils, which significantly narrowed the circle of potential "detractors" of this vegetable, however, does not exclude their complete absence. For the main pests - carrot flies, omnipresent aphids and nematodes, the orange root crop is an object of heightened interest.
Highly undesirableTo the place where the plantation of carrots is planned, was planted earlier:
- other related cultures representing the Umbrella family.
In the ground after these vegetables often remain active pathogenic onset and soil pests that remain viable during the winter period.
To the right plants predecessors include:
- cucumbers and tomatoes
- representatives of legumes.
Potatoes are also considered to be ideal in this respect: firstly, the earth remains loose after it, and secondly, common pests in potatoes and carrots are simply absent. It is this kind of alternation that allows the formation of large root vegetables, in addition, the vegetables will be smooth and even as a selection.
The best neighborhood for carrots guarantees landing:
If carrot beds are located next to garlic or onion plantings, then the front sight will be much less disturbing, thanks to the natural scaring barrier created by such vegetables. Enhance this effect with the help of calendula. After carrots, agrotechnicals and vegetable growers recommend to prefer leguminous crops.
When are carrots planted in open ground?
One of the benefits of carrot cultivation is possibilities of its landing at different times of the year, for this is like:
- Spring, when roots are grown for storage,
- The first weeks of summer, which ensures fast yowl yields,
- The end of autumn - before winter, carrots are planted in order to indulge themselves with young crunchy vegetables at the beginning of summer.
Traditional sowing dates still occur in the spring, it is in such weather conditions that seeds successfully germinate, shoots take root and root crops form. Carrots planted before winter will not be stored, and summer plantings are characterized by a lack of moisture, which creates certain difficulties in the care.
Carrots are planted in spring when the snow melted and the soil dried out sufficiently. Seeds germinate if the earth warms to a temperature of 6 to 8 ° C, which, as a rule, is already observed in the middle part of Russia in the last days of April.
For planting late or mid-ripening varieties you need to choose a time in the period from April 20 to the end of the first week of May. It is allowed to plant carrots on middle ground during the second week of May, and if the soil is light, then it is possible to plant the plant throughout the whole month. Seeds are frost resistant and can withstand temperature differences up to minus 3–4 ° C.
If weather forecasters promise prolonged rains, then the time until the beginning of the bad weather period is the best for planting carrots. It is preferable to sow on time, otherwise the seed germination will have to wait twice as long as usual. The beds before sowing the seeds, it is recommended to water well, which reduces the risk of leaching of planting material from the soil before rooting.
Technology for growing carrots in the open field
Cultivation of carrots has its own characteristics. In particular, planting material will need pretreatment, because for seeds characteristic:
- High ether content. This substance simultaneously repels harmful soil microorganisms and slows down the germination of planting material,
- Small size, difficult to disembark.
If you sow seeds in a hurry, thinning turns into a very troublesome task, and methodically planting seeds one by one doesn’t have enough patience at all. The above problems avoids the use of special methods of planting carrots in open ground seeds.
How to prepare planting material: 5 ways of processing
- Seeds for a day placed in warm water. For 24 hours every three hours, the water for soaking will need to be changed. After this time, the seeds are washed and placed hardened in a refrigerator.
- Planting material in a fabric bag is treated in hot water (50 ° C). After 20 minutes, the seeds must be removed and cooled under cold water.
- Planting material of various plants is often bubbled. This allows you to accelerate germination and enrich it with oxygen. Houses for such purposes involve conventional aquarium compressors.
- To stimulate growth, use Epin, Silk or other drugs with a similar effect.
- Good performance allows you to achieve preparation in the ground, for which the seeds in a multi-layer gauze bag is placed in the soil to a depth of no more than 15 centimeters and left for a 10-day period.
From the selected method will depend on the time of germination of carrots. Seeds will also need soak disinfection:
- in a solution of potassium permanganate 1% for 30 minutes,
- in solution: peroxide (1 tablespoon) + water 40 ° C (1 cup) for a day.
Such events provide rapid germination of planting material, since they remove excess ether and increase the oxygen content, plus warm water further stimulates the germination of seeds.
Secrets of sowing carrots without thinning
Before a quick and friendly germination of seeds, it is worth thinking about the most suitable way of planting. Agrotechnical techniques are constantly being improved, vegetable growers delight gardeners and summer residents with all new devices and options for planting cultivated plants. The most common techniques include:
- The classic variant of planting seeds directly into the ground is a difficult and extremely troublesome task. In addition, this method is considered the most uneconomical in terms of planting material consumption, since it is planted using whole handfuls of carrot seeds. At the same time, it is almost impossible to adjust the seeds so that they are evenly placed in the ground.
- На бумажных полосках – в специализированных торговых сетях можно приобрести готовый рулончик с наклеенным посадочным материалом. Такой вариант по праву считается самым успешным, благодаря идеально выверенному расстоянию между зёрнами, что автоматически освобождает огородников от прореживания. If there is no shortage of free time, you can stick the seeds yourself at home. It is enough to use toilet paper, a paste of water-based flour and a needle to quickly transfer the seeds to paper tapes.
- Point landing with the help of pills - a special planting material, representing the seeds, coated, which consists of complex nutrients. The large size of the granules guarantees the absence of difficulties during the landing. Of course, such pleasure will cost more, which is more than offset by economical consumption, as well as increased germination and increased growth of culture, which provides a balanced feeding.
- A syringe lacquer solution is an innovative technology that greatly facilitates landing. Preparing a liquid mass: water + flour, to improve the properties of the composition is allowed to use a small amount of complex fertilizers. Planting material is added to a well-mixed paste, and then a large syringe, as for confectionery, is filled with the prepared mixture and squeezed it directly into the groove. In order for the seeds to sprout evenly, it is important when mixing carefully to observe the desired proportions of the grains of carrots.
- The combination of radish + carrot provides several advantages at once. Planting such a mixture of seeds ensures uniformity of germination. It takes very little time for germination and ripening: this culture quickly releases the beds, allowing a slowly ripening carrot to grow and grow freely. However, when pulling out the radish, you will have to take maximum care to avoid damaging the delicate carrot sprouts.
There is also several schemes for carrot beds. The usual splitting of the area under the landing on the grooves implies the formation of beds in the form of hollows. The distance between rows at the same time should be not less than 0.2 meters, so that when weeding in the future there are no difficulties. The seeds themselves must be placed at a distance of 6 to 8 centimeters from each other, and bury a maximum of 2 centimeters.
For mulching the valleys, fertile soil is used, and it is also good to additionally compact them with planks. When sowing in early spring, the beds are insulated with plastic film. As already mentioned, carrots are frost-resistant culture, therefore, with short frosts, the plants show good survival. However, undesirable flowering can be a consequence of prolonged cooling periods during ripening.
Planting care: how to thin, weed and fertilize
When everything goes according to plan, and the plants get enough sunlight, the appearance of the first soft green growth can be expected later. 12-14 days from the date of planting seeds. Thin shoots begin as soon as 3-4 leaflets appear. Neglecting the thinning of thick shoots, one will have to collect small tufts of plants.
A compulsory component of proper care is weeding, because of the dominance of weeds, vegetables cease to fully feed and receive air in full, which will negatively affect the future harvest. When weeding carrot beds it is best to follow the principle “the more often the better”. The most favorable time for such activities is immediately after the rain or irrigation of the landings. During weeding, the upper parts of the root crops must be tucked up so that the carrot does not work with “green butts”, completely devoid of taste.
General recommendation for feedingRegarding the frequency of use of fertilizers. This procedure is performed no more than two times throughout the season. Agronomists-vegetable growers choose their feeding schemes using organic and mineral fertilizers. The simplest option is to use humate in dry form, adhering to the recommended scheme by the manufacturer.
How to water carrots in the open ground
This culture needs to be watered often, but water is used sparingly. In hot, dry weather, carrots will need to be watered more abundantly. Evening hours are considered the best time for watering. Until the emergence of shoots, and in the period of intensive development, watering is needed more often, especially when the spring is given dry. Before harvesting, it takes about half a month to irrigate the planting, otherwise crops may crack or rot.
Scheme of water consumption, depending on the stage of growth of culture as follows:
- During the first time after planting, the beds will need to be watered according to the proportions of 3 liters of water per unit area,
- When the seedlings are thinned a second time, planting is watered on the basis of 10 liters per square,
- With the active development of root crops, after the leaves have grown, carrots will need to be watered at 20 liters per square meter.
- Before harvesting, for 1.5–2 months, vegetables are watered in a regime every 10–14 days, using 10 liters of water per square.
Growing carrots in the open ground in the suburbs
Each region fit certain varieties of root vegetables. It is important that the selected grade is at its maximum. adapted to such external factors, as:
- Soil composition
- Climatic conditions
- Change of seasons.
The peculiarity of the Moscow region lies in the low fertility of the soil and the instability of the weather. High yield is achieved using well-chosen carrot varieties.
Depending on the ripening period, the types of carrots are late, early, middle. The table below presents the most suitable varieties for cultivation in the Moscow region, allowing to obtain a consistently high yield of root crops.
What should be a bed under the carrot
How to grow carrots? High yields begin with the preparation of the soil for planting, and initial preparations should be carried out in the fall. A level place is chosen on the bed, sufficiently illuminated by the sun during daylight hours and, preferably, used earlier under the planting of cucumbers, cabbage or cereals. Depending on what kind of soil loves carrots, namely, neutral or slightly acidic, the alkaline balance of the soil is regulated.
For a start, you need to assess whether the soil is suitable for carrots for this indicator. The easiest way is to collect a pinch of earth from the desired area on a piece of clean glass and pour vinegar on it. Alkaline and weakly acidic medium will react with strong or moderate foam protrusion (as in extinguishing soda), and an acidic one will not show changes.
You can also pay attention to the clogged area of grass:
- neutral soils are rich in lush long vegetation: stinging nettle, quinoa, clover,
- acidic soils on which it is impossible to grow sweet carrots will be replete with mint, horsetail, violet and a buttercup,
- on the soil with weak acidity there will be burdock, alfalfa, small pharmaceutical chamomile and sow thistle,
- alkaline environment, the poorest and also not very suitable for growing carrots in the open ground as sour, characterized by: poppy, sweet clover, bindweed.
The second task in the question of how to grow a good harvest of carrots is to create conditions for saturating the soil with oxygen. This is required in order for the carrot to be sweet to the taste and slender to grow in length, and not to go horny to roar in all directions, bumping into the hardness of not loosened earth. Gnarly carrots occur when the vegetable starts to branch off in search of a more comfortable direction and softer soil, and not sweet because of the lack of air.
Light, fluffy soil that is not clogged with clay is enough to work out with a garden rake, and hard, compacted strata must be completely broken by digging.
How to plant carrots
How to grow carrots in even rows and with a uniform distribution along the groove? In order to get a good harvest, vegetables should not sit tightly to each other, which means that there should be a distance between the seeds that is convenient for later thinning. There are many such convenient ways in agricultural technology:
- with a mixture of flour and water, to a strip from a paper towel or napkin, the seeds are glued at a distance of 2-3 cm from each other, then these tapes are put directly into the grooves after preplanting,
- combine the contents of a bag of seeds with 1 cup of clean sand, mix everything up and inject this mass in a thin stream into the dug groove,
- two tablespoons of starch and this barely warm substance are boiled in a liter of water, with seeds added to it poured into prepared grooves,
- most gardeners, planting this crop, traditionally put seeds in the soil with a distance of about 4 cm and an interval between rows of 15 cm.
What to do immediately after landing? The bed is covered with polyethylene, which is held until the first shoots. Vegetable tolerates tolerance of low temperatures and even soil frosts, but prolonged cold weather is the reason why carrots go to the arrow to the detriment of root development.
Carrots in open ground does not require as much regular as even irrigation - the plant does not care how often the soil will be moistened, but the moisture level should be constant and unchanged. Deviation from the level of saturation with water in the soil, which is comfortable for the root, leads to root formation pathologies:
- superficial and insignificant moistening of the soil leads to the formation of a stiffened rhizome - the pale core of such a vegetable is bitter in taste, and the carrot itself sometimes grows to cumbersome shapeless tangles,
- When growing carrots, it is also dangerous to oversaturate the soil with watering - there is a risk of getting nondescript twisted freaks with branched tops.
One of the signs of irregular and irregular watering is a horned carrot having two or more root forks. To avoid errors of this kind, it is better to water the roots, following the approximate scheme:
- when the first shoots appear, during the month, 7-8 irrigations are carried out, 6 l of water per 1 m 2 of the site,
- in the first month of summer, the rate increases to 11-12 liters, multiplied by 5-6 irrigations,
- in July there should be only about five irrigations, but 13-15 liters per square meter,
- The onset of August entails a reduction in water consumption and labor costs — carrots are already growing in two irrigations with 6 liters of water each.
14-20 days before the day scheduled for harvesting, watering is stopped. Then carry out a one-time moistening of the soil to facilitate the process of digging.
Weeding and thinning carrots
Cultivation of carrots in the open ground should be accompanied by repeated weeding, especially in the period before germination, when weeds with powerful rhizomes can prevent vegetable crops from growing. Weeds should not be allowed to grow too high - late weeding is one of the reasons why gardeners are not counted afterwards for a useful crop, because the young tops of a non-grown vegetable turn out to be in the general heap.
How to get high yields with regular weeding? There are two equally validated theory of gardeners on how to weed a vegetable:
- after watering or raining - in this way, weeds are easily pulled out with the entire root system,
- before watering, when the ground is dry - thin grass roots in this case remain in the ground and dry up, which prevents the germination of new weeds.
Another mandatory procedure, without which the cultivation and care in the open field of this crop is impossible - it is competent thinning of plants in the garden. When seeds are initially planted with the same distance of 2-3 cm from each other, thinning is rather a corrective procedure and is not always mandatory. Continuous sowing in any of the ways, when the seeds went into the furrow chaotically, in the long run always means one or two stages of breaking through excess seedlings. Do I need to do this? Required. The first thinning is carried out immediately, as soon as we can discern the individual foliage of the tops of the greening greenery.
Often the answer to the question: why does a carrot grow ugly, lies precisely in the wrong actions when removing extra shoots.
There are certain secrets of how to properly perform this simple operation.
What to do and in what sequence to produce actions:
- before thinning, the beds should be plentifully shed from a garden watering can,
- the sprout must not be tugged, but pulled out of the ground strictly upwards, without swaying it,
- you need a distance of 3 or 4 cm between the stored bushes,
- Immediately after the procedure, the garden is watered with warm water.
At the same stage, it is customary to carry out the first hilling of carrots and the first loosening between rows. And, if the second part of the algorithm does not cause big questions, a lot of controversy arises about the first.
So - do you need to pile up carrots?
Often, even from experienced gardeners you can hear that carrots do not spud. However, if you are not too lazy to produce this hard work at least three times during the period of vegetable development, you can secure the future harvest from three misfortunes at once:
- from the defeat of the open part of the root of a carrot fly that loves to lay eggs at the base of the vegetable,
- from the protrusion protrusion on the top of the rhizome,
- from exposure to direct sunlight, which leaves burns on the root surface of the tops.
Since the root crop is recommended to pile up three times, the procedures are tied to specific phases: on the 5th, 7th and 10th leaflet released.
How to grow large carrots and at the same time deliberately eliminate the risk of overdrying of the soil, the danger of pest invasion, and also significantly reduce the number of weeds and loosening? To do this, there is a technology for covering the soil with mulch, and the technique itself is called "mulching".
How to mulch a carrot bed? The most common way to mulch a bed is to cover the space between rows of planted vegetables with hay, straw chopping or sawdust. The latter option is preferable, since the shelter with sawdust retains moisture longer and is a more reliable shield from the invasion of the capustanus and other pests.
Covering the soil with sawdust has another important advantage over grass flooring - weeds do not germinate through it, while the dried grass itself can by default have mature and ready-to-germinate seeds that will grow in contact with moisture. The same properties, along with sawdust, has fine wood chips.
Mulching carrots is recommended when the outer part of the plant reaches 14-16 cm, and the vegetable itself will be about 7-8 cm in diameter in the widest part of the root. Is it possible to mulch later varieties of roots? Not only possible, but necessary, since the shelter keeps the temperature for a long time, which it receives from the sun during the daytime and, as a result, the roots get juicy and not cracked.
There are often complaints on forums like the following: “I mulch vegetable crops according to all the rules, but the vegetable fades, the tops fall, and the result is a horned or otherwise ugly carrot that does not have sweetness”. An important condition before the procedure - drying the material. Whatever the mulching is done, the covering should not pret and serve, therefore, as a habitat for the reproduction of harmful microorganisms. And the secret of the withering, falling tops is the rotting of the root, to which oxygen does not reach through the dense crust of raw mulch. That's all the secrets of proper mulching.
Let's name the most common mistakes of gardeners, responding to the most frequent complaints, why the carrot does not grow:
- the seeds were planted without pre-soaking or in insufficiently heated soil (the norm is 7-9 C),
- too deep sowing or incorrect formation of the furrow (it is necessary to deepen the groove by 2 cm, then tamp it down with the edge of a palm or a chopper stalk),
- no watering before or after planting, or watering with cold water,
- abundant watering of the soil for a period of time until the sprouts have been cut out of the ground (until the green brush of the sprouted plants appears on the garden bed, it is impossible to water the garden),
- frequent watering with a small amount of water, in which the moisture does not penetrate deep enough,
Why does a carrot grow poorly? Perhaps due to the lack of feeding elements throughout the development of the plant. In not rested or exhausted soil, vegetables will be thin, pale, covered with white hairs. A lack of potassium will immediately affect the density of the root - it will become stiff, and the lack of phosphorus will affect the taste - the carrot will become tasteless or even acidic.