The homeland of fragrant geranium is South Africa, it was there that they first began to use the beneficial properties of the plant in medicine. Geranium was brought to European territory in the 16th century, but it came to Russia a little later at the end of the 18th century. For a long time the flower was considered elite, it was decorated with imperial gardens, greenhouses. English breeders were bred more than 100 varieties of the flower.
Essential oil has the most valuable healing properties. To obtain it, the plant is cultivated in a modern industrial way in Armenia, Georgia, Turkey, Azerbaijan and in the Mediterranean countries. What kind of flower geranium fragrant, healing properties and contraindications to the plant, consider below.
How is fragrant geranium useful?
Scented (room) geranium or pelargonium - perennial plant with rounded leaves and branched stems. Blossoms in small and bright flowers of different colors. Geranium has an unusual smell. The healing properties of plants are known since ancient times, therefore, the chemical composition and useful properties of geranium are studied very well.
Geranium: chemical composition
The composition of plant materials include the following components:
- fructose and glucose,
- saponins and flavonoids, catechins,
- a large amount of tannins (up to 4%),
- chemical compounds that have antiviral and antibacterial properties,
- vitamins C and K, carotene,
- micro and macronutrients,
- alkaloids and anthocyanins.
Geranium's important treasure is geraniol substance. This is a valuable aromatic alcohol, which has an antimicrobial effect, but is also widely used in perfumery and cosmetology. However, this component has negative traits - it can cause allergies and poisoning of the body with prolonged and improper use.
Geranium: healing properties
Enumerate all the beneficial properties of therapeutic geraniums impossible. It has analgesic, antiseptic, bactericidal, diuretic, anti-edema, antiviral, anti-diabetic and hemostatic effect.
Application of fragrant geranium in medicine:
- Otolaryngology. Used to treat diseases of the upper respiratory tract - laryngitis, antritis, otitis media, tonsillitis, tonsillitis. Especially effective is a remedy from a flower for ear pain.
- Neuralgia. The plant medicine helps with intercostal neuralgia, which is formed as a result of pinching of the nerve and inflammation. Excellent relieves pain. For this painful area rubbed with a sheet of geranium, and then wrapped, creating a thermal effect. In the same way, pain can be removed with osteochondrosis, radiculitis and heel spurs.
- Gynecology. Remove the symptoms of PMS geranium oil helps. They can just breathe, but can also be used inside. Essential oil perfectly soothes, relieves nervousness and irritability, improves mood and sleep. Tinctures and decoctions are used to treat ovarian cysts.
- Pediculosis. Pelargonium peculiar insecticidal action. But it is not officially recognized. However, in folk medicine for lice use a plant remedy from a flower.
- Nervous system. It helps with neurosis, neurasthenia, insomnia, reduces tension and relaxes, removes headaches. For these purposes, take a bath with essential oil.
- Stopping bleeding. Pelargonium is known for its hemostatic property. Flower medicine is used for nasal, gastric, pulmonary, uterine and intestinal bleeding.
- Natural repellent. To protect against mosquitoes, midges and other insects, clothes are treated with geranium. This is a great alternative to chemicals. Safe for children (if not allergic).
- Disinfection. The home plant is highly valued for its bactericidal properties. The flower can be used to disinfect the room during the epidemic of influenza and SARS. Essential oil well destroys bacteria, viruses, fungi.
- Dermatology. Pelargonium also has a wound healing and regenerating effect. It is used for boils, dermatitis, cuts, ulcers, eczema, frostbite, burns.
Essential oil from fragrant geranium can be purchased at any pharmacy. But the cost may be different. It depends on the size, manufacturer, type of flower. For example, oil from Egyptian geranium is very much appreciated, and therefore costs more. Essential oil is obtained from young plants, namely from their land part.
Pelargonium essential oil has the following medicinal properties:
- improves blood circulation
- calms the nervous system
- removes swelling,
- heals abrasions and wounds,
- soothes irritated skin
- stimulates immunity
- relieves inflammation in flu and ARVI,
- stimulates new hair growth
- eliminates dandruff
- normalizes the activity of sebaceous glands and metabolism
- improves the lymphatic system,
- destroys viruses and bacteria
- helps to cope with herpes
- removes cellulite.
Next, consider How to apply essential oil:
- Massage. The oil is added to a cream or massage base (4–5 drops).
- Healing baths. Before taking a bath, add 8 drops of oil to the water. Excellent therapeutic effect gives a mixture of oil, honey and sea salt.
- Applications and compresses. They are used both warm and cold.
- Inhalation (cold). 2 drops of oil drip onto the napkin and slowly inhale the vapors. For insomnia, a napkin can be put next to the bed.
- Inhalation (warm). 4–5 drops are added to warm (non-hot) water and breathed in pairs by mouth or nose. You can use inhalers.
Broths of roots and leaves
Cooking a decoction is very simple. To do this, take 1 tablespoon of dried plants and pour a glass of boiling water, then soak for 5 minutes on low heat.
Warm broth to eat 1 tablespoon with meals. For diseases of the upper respiratory tract taken 3 times a day. But also the broth can be frozen. With ice cubes from it wipe the face. Thus, the appearance of the skin is improved, and shallow wrinkles are removed.
Healing juice is also very easy to get.. Fresh leaves of a plant are crushed, and then are well wrung out. The resulting liquid is used in the treatment of eye diseases. Juice helps a lot in the early stages of cataract development. Juice is recommended to dig in 1 time a day, one drop. This will not only preserve vision, but in some cases will improve it.
Juice will also help from suppuration in the eyes and refresh your eyes. To the juice of geranium, you can add a little boiled water and honey. The resulting liquid wipe the face and wash the eyes in the morning and before bedtime.
Particularly popular tincture from room geraniums, it is she who is considered the most healing. To make it, you need to grind 10 leaves of geranium and pour 1 glass of cold (boiled) water, let it brew for 8 hours.
Tincture rinse the throat and wash the nose for colds. With regular use of infusion is the dissolution of salt deposits in the joints. It also helps with neuralgic, dental and headaches.
Infusion is used to make compresses.. To do this, add camphor alcohol and flour (rye). Such a warming compress helps with otitis, radiculitis, osteochondrosis, but it is also used as an anesthetic.
Contraindications to treating geraniums
The beneficial properties of fragrant geranium are indisputable, but it should be borne in mind that any herbal remedy has contraindications to use.
A number of contraindications to the use of pelargonium:
- Individual intolerance to the components of geranium, which is expressed in the appearance of allergies.
- Caution should be used for chronic diseases of the digestive tract, liver.
- Age restrictions. It should not be used by older people and children under 12 years of age. Or only after consulting a doctor, when the benefits and harms are assessed.
- Since the effect on the fetus is not fully understood, it is not advisable to use this product for pregnant and lactating women.
- The special composition of pelargonium may contribute to an increase in blood viscosity. This factor is necessarily taken into account at the start of treatment.
- The plant has a hypotonic effect, so people with low blood pressure to use the means inside is not recommended.
In any case, before treatment with means of fragrant geranium, you need to consult a doctor. Geranium, useful properties and contraindications of which must necessarily be taken into account in various diseases.
The types of geraniums used in medicine
The list of plants presented below is the geraniums of the middle belt that grow in most of Russia, with the exception of the Far North and the Far East. They bloom from early June to August. They prefer to grow in moist soils, ravines and meadows, in glades of forests and forest edges, in sparse deciduous and coniferous forests. For medical purposes, used stems, flowers, leaves, roots. The chemical composition is the same as that of fragrant geranium.
- Crane or meadow geranium. It is also called field geranium. Apply with bleeding, hormonal disorders, constipation and diarrhea, gastritis and colitis, tumors, insomnia and neurosis, bronchitis and sore throat, as well as for rapid healing of bones in fractures. But also decoctions and infusions from this plant are used externally for dermatitis, boils, scabies, boils, eczema, eye diseases, and for relieving toothache.
- Marsh geranium. Prefers to grow in the marshland, in willow trees. You can meet in all parts of Europe. Compared with other pelargoniums, it is rarely used in traditional medicine. Although it also has antiseptic, astringent, anti-inflammatory properties.
- Red, blood red or blood red geraniums. The plant contains a large amount of tannins, carotene and vitamin C. The spectrum of therapeutic action is the same as that of meadow geranium. But the plant is especially effective in stone kidney disease, bleeding of various etiologies, rheumatism and hair loss. In addition, since ancient times, red pelargonium is used to treat infertility.
- Forest geranium. Prefers to grow in temperate zones of Russia, as well as in Siberia and the Caucasus. It is used in folk medicine rarely, but mainly for diarrhea and gastrointestinal disorders, to stop bleeding and for rheumatic pains.
From all types of geranium, you can prepare decoctions, tinctures and tinctures for both external and internal use.
The fragrant perennial is characterized by a rounded shape of the leaves and a branched stem. The flowers are small, color varied. A characteristic feature of fragrant geranium is the smell.
As early as the 16th century, Europeans noticed that a lot of useful qualities carry this amazing fragrance. At one time, geranium was considered the "flower of the poor", because to a greater extent it was grown by poor people. Exhaust smell helped to get rid of burning, soot in the room, cleaned the air from toxic compounds, excess moisture. Later, scientists confirmed the presence of antibacterial properties.
The scented flower is a regular at school windowsills. As the exuded substances kill dangerous microflora and frighten off harmful insects. Geranium and its essential oil are often used in traditional medicine and cosmetology.
The composition of plant materials include the following components:
- glucose and fructose,
- tannins up to 4%,
- organic acids
- essential oil,
- carbohydrates and minerals, especially a lot of calcium,
In the green mass of geranium is another valuable component - geraniol. This aromatic alcohol-containing substance has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. Apply in perfumery.
Thanks to all the substances that make up, fragrant geranium has a large list of useful properties. All of them are difficult to list. Here are the main ones: antiseptic, diuretic, decongestants, bactericidal, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant properties.
In folk medicine, fragrant geranium is used:
- In the treatment of diseases of ENT organs, otitis, sinusitis, tonsillitis, tonsillitis. It is believed that the remedy of flowers is quite effective for pain in the ears.
- Often, geranium helps to cope with the symptoms of gynecological diseases. Essential oil allows you to get rid of unpleasant sensations during the period of PMS, as it has a calming effect on the nervous system, relieves irritability, makes a good sleep. Deciduous decoctions are suitable for the treatment of ovarian cysts.
- Treatment of pediculosis. Insecticide geranium characteristic insecticidal action. Herbal preparation helps to get rid of lice and their larvae.
- Excellent relieve pain syndrome from geraniums with neuralgic diseases. In this case, the affected area is treated with a natural remedy and wrapped with cellophane to create a greenhouse effect. Similarly, they relieve pain from radiculitis, intercostal neurosis, osteochondrosis.
- Geranium is used for hemorrhages. Flower medicine can block internal bleeding.
- Fragrant scent is an excellent alternative to chemicals for scaring away midges, mosquitoes and other harmful insects. Especially safe tool for children, only in the absence of allergies.
- The healing qualities of geranium for dermatological diseases are indispensable. It treats boils, helps with burns, dermatitis, ulcers, eczema.
- The fragrant geranium serves as a natural disinfectant. Apply to cleaning and disinfecting of air indoors during epidemics, at flu and ORVI.
Useful components found in leaves, roots, trunk, flowers of geranium. They are made infusions, decoctions, extracts of essential oils, rubbing. More often in traditional medicine use the young green leaves of the plant.
Prepare the tool simply enough at home. To do this, pour boiling water over part of the dry leaves and roots of the flower and leave to simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes. Then let the mixture cool, strain.
Use the decoction preferably in the form of heat and 1 spoon during a meal. Infusion advised to use:
- for diseases of the upper respiratory tract, cough - drink 3 times a day,
- for angina and peptic ulcer, use a tablespoon 2-3 times a day for a month,
- for eczema use a decoction of geranium in the form of lotions and baths,
- if you freeze the broth, you can wipe your face with ice cubes, which is well reflected in the appearance of the skin.
To get the healing liquid from the flower, you should chop the green mass and squeeze the juice. The resulting ingredient is very helpful in the treatment of cataracts at an early stage. It is advised to bury the eyes one drop per day. This procedure will not only save, but also improve vision.
The juice of the plant copes well with the common cold and nasal congestion.. It is necessary to drip a couple of drops of juice in the nasal passage, and after 2-3 days the amount of mucus will decrease, swelling will pass. When internal bleeding is recommended to take 25-30 drops of fresh juice 1 time every 2 hours.
Unfortunately, fragrant geranium has not only positive qualities, but also negative ones. When taking herbal medicines you should pay attention that they can provoke an increase in blood viscosity, and also have a hypotonic effect.
It is recommended to make an allergotest before admission.
Care and reproduction
There is no doubt that fragrant geranium is quite a useful plant, and it does not hurt to have it in your house. However, it is important to know some rules regarding flower growing.
- Provide bright lighting. In the sun, the flower should be at least 3-4 hours a day.
- Temperature is important, in summer + 25 ° С, in winter + 15 ° С. These are extreme temperature readings.
- Loose, breathable, light soil.
- Trim and transplant annually, preferably in mid-March.
- Water moderately, only after the soil is completely dry.
- Fragrant geranium propagates in a vegetative way, it can be cuttings that remain after pruning a plant. However, before planting, it is worthwhile to cut the place of the cuts with an antiseptic in order to exclude the possibility of damage to rot.
So, we make a conclusion: having a fragrant geranium on hand, with its numerous healing properties and rich composition, you can forget about the road to the pharmacy. But it is important to familiarize yourself with the contraindications and basic recommendations for the care of the flower.
Types and varieties of fragrant geraniums
Geranium is home to South Africa. The leaves and stems of the plant are covered with thin glandular hairs, which contain essential oil. When breaking the hairs, it enters the air and emits a characteristic odor.
Varieties of fragrant geraniums smell differently - roses, apples, lemons, oranges, pineapples, peaches, mint, lavender, verbena, wormwood, pine, coconut, almonds, caramel.
There are natural types of pelargonium with fragrant leaves - fragrant, curly, pink, oak-leaved, capitate, felt, etc.
Varieties of fragrant natural pelargonium species:
- Chocolate Mint (Felt). Куст высотой до 30 см со свисающими побегами, листья зеленые с шоколадным пятном в центре, пахнет мятой, цветки мелкие, розовые.
- Attar of Roses (головчатая). About 45 cm tall, the leaves are large, three-lobed, smell rose, the flowers are purple.
- Cy’s Sunburst (curly). Small corrugated foliage of light green color with a yellow border, it smells like lemon, flowers are pink.
- Giant Oak (oak-leaved). The leaves are large, lobed, emit a balsamic smell.
- Red-Flowered Rose (pink). The leaves are openwork, palchatorassechennye, gray-green color, blooms profusely red-pink bright flowers.
Today, many hybrid varieties have been bred, which may differ from the natural species not only in flowers and leaves, but also in smell:
- Citronella. Dark green multi-part leaves with a strong aroma of citrus, pink flowers.
- Copthorne. Bush about 50 cm tall, the leaves are dark green with a cedar smell, the flowers are purple-pink with red spots.
- Grace Thomas. Bush is up to 90 cm tall, leaves are deeply dissected, smell of lemon and raspberry, flowers are pale pink with bright spots.
- Joy Lucille. Up to 60 cm tall, leaves with a menthol-mint scent, flowers pink-purple.
- Lemon Kiss. Lush bush about 40 cm, the leaves are rough, toothed, with a pleasant lemon scent, the flowers are purple-carmine.
The intensity of the flavor depends on the growing conditions - air temperature, sunlight and the amount of moisture. It is advisable to select the variety, the aroma of which is most liked, and causes only positive emotions.
Use in traditional medicine
The use of geranium in medicine is associated with its anti-inflammatory action. Apply it, for example, with toothache. To do this, chew a geranium leaf or put it on the aching tooth. Crumpled leaves are tied to the cheek outside for children, ingestion is not recommended. This method is used even in babies during teething.
Geranium juice is added to the water, gargling with ARVI and sore throats. It can also be instilled into the nose for rhinitis, sinusitis and sinusitis.
Leaves decoction treat:
- heart diseases,
- high blood pressure
- intestinal inflammation
Fresh and dried geranium leaves are used as a medicinal raw material. Broken leaves help to soothe severe ear pain and relieve inflammation, even with chronic otitis.
Compresses with crushed leaves are used for radiculitis and osteochondrosis, they are applied to the sore spot, and the pain quickly passes.
Geranium juice heals wounds and burns on the skin. At elevated blood pressure, a crumpled sheet is applied to the wrist, after a while the pressure decreases.
To prepare the tincture 1 tbsp. crushed shoots are placed in a glass jar, pour 100 ml of pure 95% alcohol. Cover and place in a warm, dark place for 2 weeks. During this time, the extraction of useful substances will occur, they will move from the plant to the alcohol tincture. It can be used for medicinal purposes.
Fragrant geranium (pelargonium)
Perennial herbaceous plant of warm climatic zone. Many species of geraniums are popular indoor flowers. In folk medicine, it is valued bactericidal, antiseptic, hemostatic, anti-inflammatory, analgesic effect.
The beneficial properties of fragrant geraniums were discovered in the plant’s homeland, South Africa. In Europe, the plant was brought in the XVI century. It came to Russia at the end of the 18th century, it was considered an elite flower that decorated royal greenhouses and noble gardens. In England in the XIX century, about 1000 varieties of this flower were bred. In botany, it is customary to distinguish between winter-hardy and heat-loving varieties of this plant, but in the open field they cannot grow in a temperate climate. Therefore, many varieties of geraniums in our latitudes have become houseplants. Today, to obtain valuable essential oil, this flower is cultivated by industrial methods in Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Turkey, and in the Mediterranean countries.
Medicinal properties of room geraniums:
- wound healing
What are the healing properties of geranium leaves? They contain:
- essential oil,
- organic acids
- mineral substances (especially a lot of calcium),
The composition was found fragrant geraniol. It has an antimicrobial effect, and is also widely used in cosmetology and perfumery. However, geraniol has harmful properties - it can cause allergies and poisoning during overdose and prolonged use.
What are the symptoms and diagnoses of treating geraniums to benefit?
- Otolaryngology. Used for the treatment of inflammatory processes of upper respiratory tract - otitis, sinusitis, laryngitis, tonsillitis, tonsillitis. This remedy is most effective in earaches.
- Neuralgia treatment. Especially helps the drug for intercostal neuralgia, which occurs as a result of inflammation, pinching the nerves. The tool successfully relieves pain. To do this, rub a painful area of skin with a sheet of geranium, and then wrap it in heat. Also, geranium helps to relieve pain with heel spurs, radiculitis, osteochondrosis.
- Useful properties of geranium in gynecology. Essential oil is used in PMS. It is taken internally, they breathe during aromatherapy sessions. Relieves irritability and nervousness, normalizes sleep and mood. Decoctions and tinctures are recommended for resorption of functional ovarian cysts.
- Pediculosis. Pelargonium has insecticidal healing properties. In official medicine, they are not recognized. However, people often use herbal remedies for lice - extracts of rosemary, basil, anise and pelargonium.
- Benefit for the nervous system. It helps with insomnia, neurosis, neurasthenia, relieves tension, relaxes, relieves headache. Can be added to therapeutic baths.
- To stop bleeding. Geranium is known for its hemostatic properties. It is taken orally with pulmonary, nasal, uterine, gastric, intestinal bleeding.
- Natural repellent. Means process clothes for protection against bites of mosquitoes, midges and other insects. Apply with lavender and eucalyptus. It is a safe alternative to insect drugs. Can be used in children if there is no allergy to the flower.
- Disinfection room. Home geranium is valued for its bactericidal healing properties. It can be used to disinfect a house or room during an ARVI or flu. Essential oil destroys not only viruses, but also fungi and bacteria (primarily staphylococcus).
- Outdoor use. The flower has regenerating, wound healing properties. It is used for allergic dermatitis, boils, ulcers, cuts, burns, frostbite.
About other types of room geraniums
About 150 species of room geranium are described. They differ in height, shape and color of leaves and inflorescences, as well as smell. There are homemade Pelargonium with the smell of rose, almond, ginger, cinnamon, mint. Often at home grown lemon geranium, or pink pelargonium. It rarely flowers, but is valued by the beautiful decorative shape of the leaves and the pleasant lemon scent. This variety is also used in traditional medicine. Most often, aromatic teas are made from lemon geranium.
Other species used in medicine
All the types listed below are geraniums of the middle lane. Distributed throughout Russia, with the exception of the Far East and the Far North. Bloom from June to August. They love moderate wet soils, steppe meadows and ravines, forest glades, forest edges, sparse coniferous and deciduous forests. For medicinal purposes, use leaves, flowers, stems and rhizome. In the chemical composition of all species, valuable substances of the group of flavonoids with antioxidant action, catechins and tannins, are found.
- Meadow geranium, or crane. Also popularly it is called field geraniums. It is taken for heavy periods, hormonal disorders in women and uterine bleeding, hemorrhoids, poisoning, gastritis, colitis, dysentery, diarrhea, malignant neoplasms, for rapid healing of bones in fractures, with angina, bronchitis, sinusitis, neurosis and insomnia. Also, infusions and decoctions of field geranium are used externally for allergic dermatitis, neurodermatitis, scabies, eczema, boils, boils, toothache, rheumatism and gout, eye diseases.
- Geranium marsh. Loves wet places, grows near marshes, in willows. It is found in all parts of Europe - Eastern, Central, South. In folk medicine, compared to meadow and red geraniums, it is used much less frequently. Although it also has astringent, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory effects.
Geranium is red, or blood-red, blood-red.
Geranium is red, or blood-red, blood-red. It found a lot of tannins, mucus, carotene and vitamin C. Applied as well as meadow geranium. Especially useful to take with kidney disease, nasal, pulmonary, intestinal, uterine bleeding, rheumatism, hair loss. In addition, in folk herbalists, red geranium is recommended to drink with infertility.
From all types of geranium, you can prepare infusions, decoctions and alcohol tinctures for external and internal use. As a styptic, you can drink fresh juice - 20 drops every 2 hours (diluted with water!).
Use in traditional medicine
Medicinal properties of fragrant geraniums are contained in leaves, flowers, roots, and stems. But most often in folk medicine used leaves of this flower. From them prepare broths, tinctures, alcohol tinctures, oil extract. Essential oil can be bought at the pharmacy. It is often included in ointments, creams and lotions.
Fresh leaves and juice
Leaves are used externally in such ways:
- rub sore spots
- crushed and applied in the form of compresses,
- pre-knead in the hand, gently lay in the ear, folding the tube, with ear pain.
Preparation of otitis media
- Take 5 geranium leaves.
- Pound into mush.
- Add 1 tbsp. l camphor alcohol.
- Pour 50 g of rye or oatmeal.
- Knead it.
This mass is wrapped around the outer surface around the ear, warmed with a bandage. It is important to know that warming compresses for pain in the ears are not always helpful and, conversely, can do even more harm. Therefore, acute ear pain in an adult or a child is a signal to immediately contact an otolaryngologist.
Fresh ground leaves are also used to make juice. It is used only externally, it is prepared from lotions, compresses. Often used to treat ears. Also, there are recipes that recommend to bury the juice of geraniums during cataracts. Such procedures may harm the eyes. Such methods of treatment can not be applied without consulting an ophthalmologist.
You can cook from dry and fresh leaves, as well as from the roots of a flower.
Cooking decoction of the leaves
- Take 1 tbsp. l dry raw materials.
- Pour a glass of boiling water.
- Boil 1 minute.
- Insist 30 minutes.
You can drink 1 tbsp. spoon 3 times a day with meals. Geranium decoctions are advised to drink for kidney stones as a diuretic, as well as for neurosis, insomnia, digestive disorders (has astringent properties). Externally used in otolaryngology.
The root of the decoction
- Take 1 tbsp. l shredded root.
- Pour a glass of boiling water.
- Boil 1 minute.
- Insist 1-2 hours.
Take ¼ cup 4 times a day before meals. Recommended to drink with hypertension. You can also apply externally in dermatology, cosmetology, otolaryngology.
From the extract of the root of South African Pelargonium sidovidnuyu produce a popular drug "Umkalor" with a broad spectrum of action - antimicrobial, antiviral, immunomodulatory, mucolytic. It is prescribed for angina, bronchitis, tracheitis, pharyngitis, infectious otitis. Many positive reviews about the effective treatment of sinusitis with this herbal medicine. Allowed to children after a year.
The beneficial properties of pelargonium are best preserved in cold infusions. It is possible to insist not only leaves, but also ground root.
- Crush 10 geranium leaves.
- Pour a glass of cold boiled water.
- Add 1 tsp. honey
- Insist 8 hours.
In the people this infusion is called honey water. It is used externally for eye inflammation, for healing wounds on the skin, for rinsing the mouth and throat.
Pelargonium fragrant (leaves and root) is used for the preparation of alcohol tincture.
- Take 3 tbsp. spoons of crushed fresh leaves.
- Pour ½ cup of vodka (alcohol 40%).
- Insist 7 days at room temperature.
Medicinal geranium tincture can be taken for all the listed diseases. Dosage: ½ tsp. 2 times a day, diluted in a tablespoon of water. It is useful to take at night for insomnia. Externally, it can be used in diluted form as an antiseptic for the skin, treatment of wounds, throat, oral mucosa.
Geranium in cosmetology is most often used in the form of an essential oil. It is used in pure form. Also added to various masks, they enrich the cosmetics - shampoos for hair and face creams.
- Geranium essential oil for hair. You can rub into the scalp to accelerate hair growth. Helps with dandruff and pediculosis. For the prevention of dry skin and brittle hair, it is recommended to drip oil on a comb and carefully comb the strands. Geranium can be mixed with other essential oils - cedar, rosemary, burdock, almond.
- Geranium essential oil for the face. The tool helps with acne, neurodermatitis, boils, fungal infections, dry, flaky skin. Eliminates scars, promotes rapid healing of wounds, cracks and scratches. Especially useful for sensitive and dry skin. It has a rejuvenating, tonic effect.
Preparation of cosmetic ice for the face
- Take a glass of still water.
- Pour in 1 tbsp. l milk and fresh lemon juice.
- Add 3 drops of geranium essential oil.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Pour into molds and place in the freezer.
Ice cubes can wipe your face in the morning and evening. Also as a tonic, you can use decoctions and infusions of pelargonium.
The main healing properties of a fragrant geranium are disinfectant, bactericidal, astringent, hemostatic, anti-inflammatory. For a long time, pelargonium leaves have been used in otolaryngology for the treatment of sinusitis and otitis. It also stops internal bleeding, relieves inflammation and pain in diseases of the joints and muscles, helps with neurosis and insomnia. It is included in the complex therapy in gynecology. Geranium essential oil is widely used in dermatology and cosmetology.
In the twentieth century, at the peak of the popularity of geranium, a large breeding work was carried out on the breeding of pelargonium hybrids. As a result, variegated, dwarf varieties, species with two-color and terry petals appeared.
Geranium (Pelargonium), fragrant
Pelargonium fragrant is an unpretentious shrub, the base of the shoots of which are partially woody. The lobed leaves of this plant are covered with hairs and have a strong lemon scent. Small pink flowers are collected in umbrellas growing at the ends of the branches. When creating favorable conditions, pelargonium fragrant reaches 2 m in height and has the appearance of a real shrub. Its decorative, medicinal properties and simple care still attract the attention of plant growers.
Home care for pelargonium
The shoots of all the geraniums are drawn out as they grow, they become bare and lose their decorative qualities. Therefore, they should be regularly clipped and trimmed, i.e. form the crown. Removal of the growth point is best done in February-March, with increasing daylight hours.
In addition, the correct size of the pot is important, because the smaller it is, the easier it is for the root system to master it and put all its power into flowering. During the active growing season, the plant needs mineral fertilizers with a large amount of phosphorus.
Geranium (pelargonium) in room conditions
Despite the fact that pelargonium is a light-loving plant, it must be protected from direct sunlight. At the same time, in low light, it ceases to bloom or is limited to pale, rare, small flowers. The plant is quite demanding in terms of wintering conditions: the optimum ambient temperature during this period should be no higher than + 10 ... + 12 ° C.
Geraniums will not harm the lack of water, while its oversupply contributes to root decay, as sluggish, dangling leaves will indicate. Therefore, the flower should be watered only when the topsoil dries.
Application of the fragrant properties of fragrant geranium
All geranium plants are essential oil plants. Входящие в состав пеларгоний компоненты широко применяются в мыловарении, косметическом и парфюмерном производстве, а также для окраски кожаных изделий.
Стандартная душистая герань обычно пахнет лимоном. Breeders also cultivated varieties with aromas of notes of lemon balm, wormwood, nutmeg, peach or rose. The decline in the popularity of pelargonium in room breeding arose from the fact that not everyone can safely tolerate the specific smell of geranium. A strong aroma is characterized by the presence of a large number of phytoncids in the composition of the plant, which determine the beneficial properties of room geranium. They purify indoor air from germs, eliminate unpleasant odors. But they can also cause allergic reactions to geranium, especially blooming. Therefore, acquiring pelargonium, it is necessary to know its beneficial properties and contraindications.
Healing scent of geraniums
Those who grow geraniums on their windowsill benefit in their natural form simply by inhaling the plant scent: the odorous substances of Pelargonium relieve fatigue, irritability, and normalize sleep.
Interestingly, fragrant geranium leaves are used to make various cosmetic masks. Geranium leaves with lemon-rose aroma are used in cooking for preparing desserts.
Medicinal properties of geraniums
The fragrant geranium has bactericidal, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antiseptic, antispasmodic properties. A healthy potted plant has a calming effect on people in the room, acting like antidepressants. In addition, the popular medicinal component of the practice of using this medicinal plant has been known for a long time:
- a compress of crushed leaves attached to problem areas (lower back or joints) relieves pain,
- the sap of the plant heals wounds and skin ulcers,
- A fresh geranium leaf tied to the wrist helps to normalize blood pressure
- infusions and decoctions have anti-inflammatory effect in otitis, sore throat, inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract,
- pillow of dried leaves normalizes sleep, allowing you to forget about insomnia.
The curative properties of geranium are such that funds based on it increase physical and mental activity, balance emotions. For medical purposes, pelargonium is used in the treatment of mental disorders, psychological trauma, relieves anxiety, helps to cope with chronic fatigue and overwork.
Independent aroma treatments with the oil of this plant give confidence, help to relax, recover from a hard day.
The well-known geranium, the beneficial properties of the oil from which are widely used in medicine and cosmetology, has regenerating qualities, fights rash, peeling, inflammation, frostbite, eczema, and is excellent for sensitive skin.
Half-good geranium oil properties
In addition, preparations from pelargonium help to expel parasites from the body, are used in the treatment of fungal diseases, lice.
Geranium oil copes well with diseases of the upper respiratory tract in the treatment of pharynx, tonsils, and diseases of the middle ear. His droplet, applied to the temples, relieves headaches, migraine attacks. The course of aromatherapy with this drug helps to normalize blood pressure. Direct intake has a decongestant effect, lowers blood sugar levels, helps to stop the growth of tumor cells.
Like any preparations based on potent plants, products from geranium raw materials should not be used during pregnancy, the lactation period, in the presence of individual intolerance, stomach ulcers, low blood pressure. They should not be taken by children.
Ordinary geranium, the medicinal properties and contraindications of which have been studied and put at the service of man, can not only replace a multitude of medicines, alleviate pain symptoms. This plant with its presence can harmonize the homely atmosphere. But before using drugs based on it, it is recommended to consult a specialist.
On the basis of alcohol tinctures can be prepared oil, which will have a softer effect. To do this, olive oil is added to a container with ready-made spirit tincture of geranium leaves, put in a warm place for 2 weeks. After this period, oil is drained, vegetable residues are discarded. Store the product in a tightly closed jar in a dark place. The drug is used in the same way as a fresh plant.
Care and cultivation at home
Pelargonium is a very unpretentious indoor plant. It can be grown not only on the windowsill, but also on the veranda or in the garden. It is good to take it out in the summer to fresh air, and in the fall to take it back to the apartment. The plant is drought-resistant, but with a strong drying of the soil begins to lose leaves. It is also impossible to pour it - the roots begin to rot immediately.
Pelargonium loves bright light. In the penumbra, the essential oil ceases to be produced, and the aroma disappears.
The soil should be neutral or alkaline, light and fertile. You can use soil mixtures with a sufficient amount of peat and sand. Since February, pelargonium dosachivayut and begin to feed, spend the formation of the bush. Hybrid varieties propagated by cutting.
Hello, dear readers!
Who has not seen geraniums? And who did not grow it on the window sill? It seems that this plant has become a symbol of comfort, well-being, health. And not in vain.
Geranium fragrant medicinal properties and contraindications are no less serious than any medicinal plant. But few people know about it. Today I will tell you about geraniums.
Plant and its composition
The second name of geranium is pelargonium. This plant is a perennial, branched. Its inflorescences form a kind of ball. Houses usually hold geraniums with bright red flowers, although there may be many shades in nature.
Pelargonium leaves contain many essential oils and finol compounds, vitamins, acids, pigment compounds, flavonoids.
The unusual smell that flowers and leaves of geranium emit repels insects. As early as the 18th century, this plant was considered aristocratic and was grown only in greenhouses and rich houses. Today it is available to many. And we are happy to apply its healing properties to our health.
How is fragrant geranium useful?
If you have a headache, you should not take harmful drugs like "Analgin" or "Citramone." Take the oil of pelargonium and just smell it. Headache will pass soon. Geranium oil and leaves are used in traditional medicine:
- to fight viruses and cancer cells,
- against ulcers and boils in dermatology as an anti-inflammatory agent,
- as a sedative for stress, nervous disorders, insomnia, overwork,
- for the healing of burns, wounds and even bone fractures,
- in the fight against allergic rash,
- as a diuretic,
- to stop bleeding,
- with dysentery and diarrhea.
For healing purposes, all parts of the plant are used, but above all the leaves. They are harvested with flowers in June, dried and folded in a glass container. The roots are dug up at the beginning of autumn, washed from the ground and dried.
Before you begin treatment with pelargonium, dear readers, consider the contraindications:
- chronic diseases of the stomach and intestines, which can be aggravated by the use of pelargonium products,
- advanced age
And now we will think about what means can be made on the basis of this plant.
How to treat geraniums?
Just want to warn fans of traditional medicine: you can not drink geranium juice. It is poisonous and can cause severe poisoning. If you use homemade recipes, strictly adhere to the instructions for preparation and the indicated dosage.
Let's start with oil. It is often used in pharmacology to eliminate the smell of unpleasant-smelling ingredients. Also it is used:
- to reduce pressure
- with diabetes
- to normalize sleep and ease headaches,
- to remove salts from the body.
Actively used in the treatment of infertility:
- To make aromalamps with pelargonium oil.
- Body massage with geranium oil: 7 g of geranium oil per 30 g of base.
- Take a bath by adding 8 drops of geranium oil.
- Drink inside by mixing 7 drops of the product with 100 g of honey (however, the oil must be completely natural and not aromatic, otherwise poisoning may occur).
Recipes with leaves and their use are no less diverse:
- When gout is prepared such a recipe: 1 tablespoon of chopped herbs pour a glass of boiling water and cook for another 5 minutes. Take 2 tablespoons once a day with meals.
- With otitis for the ear, you can take a leaf of the plant, twist it into a tube and insert it into the ear. This will reduce pain. You can prepare a more complex drug. Take 5 g leaves, 1 tablespoon of camphor-based alcohol and 50 g of rye flour. Mash leaves to form gruel. Knead the dough on alcohol and put balls of it into his ears. You can also drip the juice of pelargonium in your ear and warm it with cotton wool.
- To treat the eyes in the corner of each unit should be dripped 2 drops of geranium juice.
- In case of a toothache, a leaf of the plant is placed on the diseased part of the jaw, after having crushed it before extracting the juice.
- In case of kidney diseases, 2 tablespoons should be brewed with a liter of boiling water, drawn and drunk 0.5 cups 4 times a day. Such a tool removes well stones from the kidneys.
- In case of sore throat and inflammation of the nasopharynx, an infusion of flowers and leaves of the plant flushes the nose and gargles. To do this, 20 g of raw materials need to pour a glass of boiling water.
Geranium is a practically universal folk remedy for various diseases, but to obtain a result, its long-term use is required.
If you liked the article, tell your friends and acquaintances about it on social networks. The information in the article is given for familiarization, and not as a guide to action.
Until we meet again, dear readers!
How I fell for Internet scammers
Hello dear readers. Yesterday I was fooled by internet scammers. What is the most offensive, I always considered myself a very cautious person, gave acquaintances to my acquaintances and thought that who is who, I will recognize that for sure. It is very insulting, I feel very bad. Who would have thought resentment
This blog is read by 10875 moms, bye
play with their children.