Many gardeners are concerned about how grow viscaria from seed itself. We will talk about this in this article!
Viskaria (other names: dawn, litnis, adonis, tar, soap, Tatar soap) is a garden plant of the family of carnations. Propagation occurs by cuttings or seeds, but often plant growers prefer the second option. A brief description of these unpretentious and frost-resistant colors is presented in the following table:
How to use viskarya for decorating garden plots?
Low-growing varieties of whiskey are often grown in pots.
Plants of medium height are planted in the garden: in group plantings (litnis is combined with meadow crops - bells and gypsophiles), near the borders and in flower beds (mixborders and rabatki). They are also used by landscape designers as an element of rockeries and alpine slides.
Tall plants are ideal for decorating fences and walls.
Cutting lithnis is not recommended: at home in a vase, it usually costs a short time.
How to grow a whiskey at home? Let's look at the points.
Growing sprouts in greenhouse
The second method of cultivation of lichen - sprouts. Viscary seeds for seedlings are sown in a greenhouse (always on loose soil) in early spring. By the end of May, the grown seedlings are fully strengthened and good roots are formed - then they are transplanted to the ground.
If you do not have a greenhouse, seedlings can be sown in boxes and flower pots, which are then stored in a cool room for about three weeks. Then seedlings can be kept in a room with a normal temperature of 18 - 20 degrees, where the plants grow and mature. After that, the seedlings are planted on the open ground.
The third variant of planting relates to the most frost-resistant varieties of viscaria. In mild climates, it can be planted in the fall. In this case, it is advised to plant a whiskey on the flower beds simultaneously with other flowers. Be sure to choose a well-lit area, then you will see the first shoots in early spring, and the plant will bloom next summer.
It is important to know when landing:
1. Lychnisa seeds are very small (about 5000 pieces in one gram). If you need to get a hundred plants, you need very few seeds - only 0.1 g.
2. To sow the whiskey best nests, three to four seeds. The distance between the nests - 20 - 25 cm.
3. With the seed method of propagation, the blooming of the spruce begins in the second year.
4. Seeds of viscaria will sprout approximately two weeks after sowing.
5. Blossoming begins in July and usually blooms until the end of August - beginning of September.
How to care for a viskariya?
Despite the fact that the whiskey is an unpretentious plant that is resistant to pests and various diseases, it still needs some care.
In summer viscaria will not damage moderate watering (especially if it has not been raining for a long time) and fertilizing with various mineral fertilizers. You also need to regularly remove wilted flowers - this will help to increase the period of flowering of lihnnis. Weeding the plant is carried out as the emergence of weeds. It is also recommended to fully dig up nearby dandelions and other flowers and herbs with long roots.
In the autumn, the above-ground part of the viscaria is usually cut almost to the root, leaving about 5 cm of the stem. Also in the fall you can produce mineral dressing.
As the viskariya is frost-resistant, it does not need shelter for the winter. However, there are exceptions: if your site is not covered with snow, the plant is better to cover.
Viskaria is an annual or perennial plant of the carnation family. It has many names, the most famous of them are litnis, dawn, tar, adonis. It is widely used in landscape design for decorating borders, balconies, planting in multi-species beds, rockeries.
Depending on the variety, the stem may be short or tall, the height of the bush varies from 30 to 100 cm. The stems have pronounced pubescence and stickiness.
Flowering can last up to several months. The flowers are small, painted in the most diverse shade depending on the variety.
Especially popular varieties with blue, blue and white petals. Buds have no aroma, rarely cause allergies. The plant grows very quickly, unpretentiously in the care and begins to bloom within 30-35 days from the time of sowing.
Types and varieties
As an ornamental plant, the common dawn is usually grown, leathery and lichnis is related. The most popular varieties in Russia:
- Holiday The undersized plant, reaching a height of up to 25 cm. It is grown as a curb culture, especially decorative looks when planted in the foreground. Blossoming is possible in 1 month from the moment of planting. Frost resistance average
- Blue Angel The flowers are painted in a rich blue-blue tint. It is grown only as an annual. Flowering occurs 40-50 days after sowing,
- Rumba. Herb plant growing up to 50 cm. Grown as an annual crop. Openwork flowers can be painted in blue, purple or white color,
- Campion. The plant is represented by tall perennial, the height of the bush can reach 1 m. The flowers grow up to 7 cm in diameter, painted in red or white. These buds are formed only in the second year from the time of sowing, can comfortably grow in one place up to 6 years.
On sale the plant is usually found under the name Lychnis, about 50 varieties of this species are known. The flower is especially popular in European countries, the western part of Russia. Some species grow in the wild in Western Siberia, Altai.
Viskaria is an unpretentious plant to the ground and climatic conditions. For planting it is best to choose a well-lit area with a variable shadow in the afternoon. Often a flower is planted along fences, under the canopy of large trees.
The plant prefers loose and well-aerated substrates that are rich in organic matter, but abundant flowering can easily be achieved in fairly poor soils. For cultivation, a soil with a neutral or slightly alkaline reaction is recommended.
Dawn prefers well-moistened areas, but stagnant water can be detrimental to the roots of the plant.
Before planting, it is desirable to organize a drainage system, add coarse sand to the substrate to improve the permeability of the soil. It is not necessary to plant a whiskey near water, close to surface water.
Seeds have a very high frost resistance, calmly withstand sudden changes in temperature, night frosts. Planting of viscaria in open ground is usually carried out in early spring immediately after the snow melt.
In the southern regions, sowing is permissible in late April, in the northern regions it is desirable to wait until the first week of May.
In addition, the tar is planted in the fall before the onset of the first frost. This method allows you to speed up the beginning of flowering next season, the seeds under a layer of snow undergo a natural stratification. The optimal landing time is the second half of September or the beginning of October.
Preparing for landing
In order to achieve plant health and abundant flowering, the site must be prepared before planting. The main stages of work:
- Dig the place of landing on the depth of the spade bayonet, remove plant residues, stones.
- Add large river sand to enhance aeration and soil permeability. The optimal amount is 5 kg per square meter.
- As a top dressing for the soil, it is best to use organic matter, for example, compost or humus at the rate of 3 kg / m 2.
- Regardless of the time of planting, it is advisable to pour plenty of water with warm water with the addition of several crystals of potassium permanganate before sowing.
Planting material is very small, so it is difficult to handle it before sowing. Processing is carried out only with the spring method of planting. For this, seeds are soaked in a 1% solution of potassium permanganate for 20-30 minutes, after which they are fully prepared for cultivation.
When planting dawn in regions with cold summer, seeds before planting it is desirable to stratify for 1-2 days, for example, leaving them in the refrigerator.
Sowing seeds in open ground
The technology of planting viscaria is not different with the spring and autumn method of cultivation. Algorithm for sowing seeds in open ground:
- In the pre-prepared area deepen the wells to a depth of 0.5 cm, plentifully watered with water.
- Landing spend nested method. To do this, in each well lay 3-5 seeds. The optimal distance between plants for short growing varieties is 15 cm, tall ones - 30 cm.
- The wells are covered with a layer of fertile soil, watered with warm water. The surface soil layer is preferably mulched with a peat layer up to 5 cm.
Depending on climatic conditions and variety, the first shoots appear after 10-15 days. Mass flowering is usually observed in 30-35 days, can last almost the entire season. Some species of viscaria can bloom only in the second year after planting.
In addition, litnis is often planted in greenhouses or containers. The process of planting and timing is no different, it is only important to choose a suitable substrate and correctly conduct dressing.
Viskaris - unpretentious plant, suitable even for novice gardeners. When growing this flower should follow a number of simple rules for care:
- watering should be moderate, it should not be allowed to dry and waterlogging. The optimal mode - 1-2 times a week, during drought, you can increase the intensity of watering,
- During the whole season it is important to loosen the soil and weed. This allows you to achieve the necessary lightness and aeration of the soil, to avoid the spread of weeds in the flowerbed,
- feeding is carried out 2 times. First, fertilizers need to be applied 14 days after the appearance of the first shoots; for this purpose it is best to apply a mixture of urea (ammonium nitrate), superphosphate and potassium sulfate 10 g for every 10 liters. The second feeding is carried out at the time of the beginning of flowering. It is best to use complex mineral compositions for ornamental flowering crops,
- during the flowering of the whiskey, you should pinch off the bloomed buds as they appear. This will enhance the formation of new flowers and their color saturation.
When growing perennial species of dawn spend preparing for the winter. To do this, after flowering, you should cut the stem, leaving 10-15 cm above the ground. After that, cover the landing with agrofibre, spruce or nonwoven fabric. In the northern regions, you can additionally mulch the soil with a layer of dry peat 5 cm thick.
Diseases and pests
Viskaria is highly resistant to pests and diseases. Among the harmful insects, the greatest danger is represented by the leafworm, aphid and spider mite. For prevention, you can use traditional processing methods (spraying onion peel, infusion of wood ash).
If there are signs of infection, you must use chemicals, for example, Actellic, Aktara, Intavir, Spark.
Diseases are very rare, more often diseases affect perennial types of viscaria. This is usually a fungal infection that develops when the plant is planted in wetlands or over-wet areas. Powdery mildew and root rot are dangerous for the flower.
To avoid diseases, you need to monitor the condition of the soil, regularly thinning planting. Chemical fungicides are applied to fight against a fungus: Bordeaux liquid, Horus, Topaz, Skor. Processing should be carried out twice with an interval of 14 days.
Viskariya - an ornamental and very unpretentious plant. It is known for active growth, long flowering. Suitable for group planting, flower beds, rockeries and balconies. The flower needs minimal care, withstands severe frosts and rarely gets sick.
There are over 400 varieties of farmed viscaria. Consider only the most popular.
- "Holiday". This grade is created by a method of a set of various color scale of a viskariya. During flowering, you can find blue, pink, green, purple and crimson flowers. Their height reaches 25 cm, which makes it possible to create beautiful bouquets. On garden plots, it looks like a real holiday carpet. Therefore, this variety is especially loved among gardeners.
- "Pink Angel". The plant is small in size and, unlike the others, is thermophilic. Flowers feel great not only in open areas, but also in pots and balcony boxes.
- Eye "Rumba". This is an annual herbaceous plant, characterized by a longer flowering period. A variety of colors petals held until frost. Widely used for decorating gardens.
- Lychnis viscaria "Nymph". This perennial plant is very tall. The shrub tolerates winter frosts without additional shelter. The flowers have a soft blue color.
Delicate viscaria: characteristics
Unique viscaria boasts a variety of varieties. As a rule, most of them have delicate shades and fragile small flowers. It looks very unusual on the site of the viskariy of a shade of a sea wave, especially next to the colors of a contrasting shade.
Characteristics include the following:
- there are both annual and perennial varieties,
- the plant is a member of the carnation family,
- the stem is straight, able to stretch in height from 20 to 100 cm,
- blue, blue, white and purple hues are more common than others,
- Viskaria begins to bloom in April, and ends at the end of July,
- Low-growing varieties can be grown in pots.
Viskaria is appreciated for its high performance. Thus, in a short time, it is able to cover with its stems and bright buds a large part of the home gardens. For the same reason, they love to grow on the balconies to organize a blooming garden right in the apartment.
Important! Viskaria well gets on with other flower plants. It will harmoniously look in the same flower garden with bells or gypsophilia. And you can plant several varieties of whiskey at once, complementing annual flowers with perennials.
Blue viscaria looks great next to the spray rose
When can plant a plant
Experienced horticulturists allocate 3 periods for sowing whiskey. It is impossible to say which one is better: in all these dates, in most regions of Russia, the temperature is appropriate.
Each gardener sets for himself the optimal time for planting. All of them are listed in the table below.
Table 1. The timing of the landing of the whiskey.
There are two ways to grow this plant - cutting and seed planting. Many gardeners choose the second option. We will dwell on this popular method.
In the flower shop offers a lot of different varieties of whiskey
Stage 1. Seed preparation
Seeds do not require serious treatment: they need to undergo a simple stratification. The algorithm is as follows:
- Soak the seeds in a soft pink solution of potassium permanganate.
- Keep in liquid for 2-3 hours.
- Dry thoroughly in a dry, ventilated area.
Dry seeds need to harden. To do this, they put in a box and put in the "vegetable" box of the refrigerator for 10-12 hours.
Important! Hardening is relevant only for spring planting. When sowing "before winter" procedure is not necessary.
Planting small seeds in the furrows
Stage 2 Choosing a place
Most of the varieties of viscaria are light-requiring, therefore, a well-lit place is chosen for planting. It should be as open as possible, without branching trees nearby.
Important! If there are no other options, you can choose a more shaded area for the viscaria. However, the greens will not be sufficiently voluminous, and the flowers will grow dull and small.
In a lighted place, the flowers expand extensively.
Stage 3 Soil preparation
There are more demands on the soil than on the location of the flower. But they are all easy to do:
- The soil should be loose: so the roots will get enough oxygen and moisture for proper development. You can drain the soil with sand or wood chips.
- Acidity may be neutral or low. In the soil with high acidity, ash or lime is added to stabilize it.
- Landing site carefully dig. At the same time, it is possible to add organic fertilizers in the form of rotted grass or slurry with a low concentration.
The dug up and fed ground is gently leveled with a rake to make it easier to sow the whiskey.
Delicate flowers of whiskey
4 stage. Seeding
On the prepared bed it is necessary to make shallow nests for seeds. It is best to place the viskaria in the area by square-nested method. That is, the distance between the rows and bushes in them should be about the same.
The gap between the bushes depends on the type of plant:
- undersized - square 15 x 15 cm,
- tall - square 30 x 30 cm.
Up to 4 seeds should be placed in each well. Top nests are covered with peat or prepared land with a small amount of humus. Первые ростки должны появиться уже через 15 дней, а интенсивное цветение происходит примерно через 1,5 месяца.
Схема квадратно-гнездовой посадки
Посев семян вискарии «под зиму»
Подзимнее засеивание могут позволить себе только опытные садоводы, так как процедура требует определенных навыков. It is very important to create a suitable environment. Plants should not suffer from the cold or freeze in the soil while still in seed condition. The most important rule for autumn planting is that the plant is planted between other mature flowers. So the seeds of viscaria will be protected from frost by the powerful root system of neighbors. With the right approach, the first sprouts will spawn with the arrival of spring.
Important! Some species of viscaria are able to adapt to the winter climate and calmly tolerate frosts. Such characteristics must be indicated on the package with seeds. If you plan podzimnyaya landing, you must choose these varieties.
Growing whiskey seedlings
Preparation for the seedling method is exactly the same as in the previous case. Seeds in the same way undergo stratification, and the soil is fertilized. The only difference is that the seeds are sown in the ground, located in flat boxes (containers) or pots. The seeding algorithm is presented in the table below.
Table 2. Planting of viscaria in seedlings containers.
Cover the earth in boxes
Sow the seeds of whiskey
Create greenhouse conditions
Track the temperature and frequency of irrigation
The appearance of the first leaves on seedlings
Grown up saplings can be transferred to the open area with the onset of the May holidays. The root system of a young viscaria is very gentle, so you need to be careful with it. Plants are extracted together with a lump of earth and transferred to the ground by analogy with the seed planting: by the square-nested method. After transplantation, the soil around the plant is compacted and watered.
Growing seedlings in individual cups
Growing seedlings in the greenhouse
Another option for growing seedlings without the use of pots and drawers. It is possible to start sowing in the greenhouse with the onset of spring, when the soil is already warm enough. Most often at this time the sun is already beginning to actively shine. Viskaria grows very well under a greenhouse with good ambient lighting.
Important! If the outside temperature is below zero, viskaria cannot be sown even in the greenhouse. In this case, the seeds do not have time to climb and die.
Multicolor Viscaria bush
It is important to follow the rules of cultivation.
There are several important things that a gardener must learn before planting a whiskey. For example:
- Sunflower seeds are miniature. A thousand seeds weighs only 1 gram. To plant on a plot of 100 flowers, it will be enough to take 0.1 g of planting material.
- In one nest put no more than 3-4 seeds. At least from one guaranteed to get a strong sprout.
- Perennial tar bloom only in the second year after planting.
- Viskaria can try to grow on clay soil, but the process will be very difficult. Such a land dries quickly and becomes covered with cracks, and during watering turns into a dense lump and does not let water to the roots. To facilitate such a soil, it is mixed with river sand, and only then it is planted with flowers.
Perennial varieties are best transplanted once every 3 years, since the flowers of viscaria tend to shrink. The cultivar Lychnis plant can lose its ability to bloom in 5 years.
Transplanted flower culture in late August. To do this, dig the plant, its rhizome is divided into 2-3 parts and planted in new wells.
White viscaria flowers
Viskaria: general information
Viskaria is a beautiful and amazing flower, in the possibilities of which to turn into a beautiful flower garden any dacha territory.
Folk names of this flower - adonis or tar.
Viskaria belongs to the family of cloves, this is evidenced by its appearance.
This flower propagates in two ways:
- growing from seed.
Gardeners prefer to resort to the second option. This is due to the fact that it is easy to grow a whiskey from seeds and even a beginner can.
This plant has many varieties. (for example, viskariya holiday). These varieties allow you to choose flowers of this species that can:
- be perennial or annual
- differ in time and flowering color.
Most often these flowers are of blue, blue or white color. In the market they are sold most often.
The flowering period of this plant begins in April and ends in July. Stem reaches a height of 25-100 cm.
Viskaria for decorating
One of the features of the viscaria is that in a short period of time it is able to cover with its lush greenery and buds a large part of the backyard territory. Because of this feature, viskaria is often chosen for decorating home gardens, balconies, and so on.
Unlike other garden plants, these beautiful flowers can grow no less successfully even in pots, but only if they are planted with seeds of a tall variety.
Viskaria is able to grow higher, than 50 cm, is more suitable for the garden plot than for growing at home, because it will be cramped in a pot.
It will be a mistake to plant only one species on the territory of one summer cottage. But here, too, the viskariya demonstrates its “light character”: it does not only conflict with other types and types of plants, but also harmoniously fits into the overall composition with them. For example, many of the gardeners add gypsophila or bells to the combination with the viscaria.
Growing whiskey in the open field
To plant the seeds of this plant in the open ground is best when the temperature indicators stabilize at night.
Before you start plantingThe seeds must first be placed in a solution of potassium permanganate and soaked for 2.5–3 hours, and then dried.
Do not neglect the preliminary selection of the landing site.
For viscaria the following conditions are most favorable:
- loves a lot of light
- high humidity,
- lightness of the soil.
In this regard, for the plant you need to better choose an open space, where the sun's rays will fall and get more moisture.
All these are very important components for the best growth of these flowers..
In soils, viscaria has no particular preference, but like many other plants, this plant loves fertility. Light soil and pre-prepared drainage will provide an opportunity to activate its growth much faster.
Growing in greenhouses
If it is intended to grow from seed in a greenhouse, then the optimal time for planting is in early spring, when there are no stable temperatures. At low temperatures, the flowers simply die.
A greenhouse is needed only for broodings of seedlings, after which the flowers can simply be transplanted into open soil, but here you need to take into account some features. For example, before sowing seeds, the soil in the greenhouses should be loose.
It is possible to start a flower transplant only in May. By that time, the roots are already established in the soil, and the flower itself will gain enough strength.
If there are no greenhouses at the disposal of the gardener, then simple drawers or pots are suitable for this purpose. And they can be easily installed in the house or basement. In this case, the procedure is almost identical.
In pots with loose soil lay the seeds of the whiskey and wait for the emergence of the first shoots.
After the first shoots, the container with them is sent to a well-ventilated room with a temperature of about 15-18 degrees.
With the onset of May, in the first days, it will be possible for the whiskey to be safely transplanted into open soil with that land without any fear. with which it grew.
When planting is important to know
- The seeds of tar - a very small size. A whole thousand seeds have a weight of only 1 gram. In this regard, for planting as many as 100 flowers will need only 0.1 g.
- In one well put no more than 3-4 seeds.
- The flowering of viscaria after planting seeds will be only on the 2nd year.
- The first shoots are visible within 14 days after sowing.
According to the preferences of gardeners, Viskaria is among the ten most popular flowers with which they decorate many household plots.
Tar is beautiful and grateful for even small effort from the gardener.
It is unpretentious, so any newcomer is fully capable of growing these flowers even from simple seeds.
The main thing with this - just follow all the rules of its planting and care and features of planting.
The plant belongs to the vast genus of carnations, as can be guessed by its characteristic inflorescences. Culture refers to perennials, but in the middle band it is customary to grow as an annual herb.
Among the huge number of tar types there are dwarf forms, the bushes of which form balls not exceeding 25 cm in height, there are medium-grown varieties of 35-60 cm in size, but there are also tall ones reaching 1 m. is stickiness and hairiness of shoots.
Flowering is very long, during which the bushes turn into colored mats of white, pink, lilac or scarlet color. At the same time, the viscaria does not smell, which is very important for those who are allergic and have headaches from strong aromas.
Flower growers identify three different periods of time, suitable for planting seeds of viscaria in open ground:
- Late fall. This is permissible in those regions where autumn is warm and positive temperatures persist until November-December. This method is most often used in the southern regions. The first shoots will appear in mid-late April, and flowering can occur in the first vegetative season, even in perennial varieties.
- Early spring. For this, cold-resistant hybrids are suitable, not afraid of unstable temperatures and night cooling. Often, spring sowing in March-April is practiced in greenhouses or greenhouses.
- Late spring. At the beginning or end of May, the soil is already heated enough for planting heat-loving varieties. At this time, the seedlings will not be harmed, even possible night cooling.
Before planting, the seeds must be processed and made resistant to fungal diseases. To do this, they are kept for half an hour in a solution of potassium permanganate of a slightly pink color. After processing, the seed material is well dried.
For seeds that are sown in spring, during the winter months they carry out a stratification — keeping it in the cold, imitating the winter cold. To do this, the seeds for a month or two put in the vegetable compartment of the refrigerator. If sowing is carried out in the fall, then the need for stratification is no longer necessary, since natural cold will be sufficient during the winter months.
Sowing in open ground should be carried out according to this algorithm:
- On the prepared site, at a certain distance, small landing depressions half a centimeter deep are made, which are well watered and wait until the water is completely absorbed. It is advisable to use water at room temperature.
- The distance between the holes depends on the height of the variety. For dwarf hybrids, 15 cm is enough, while the gap between tall bushes must be at least 30 cm.
- 3-4 seeds are put into each well, after which they are covered with substrate or top peat.
The timing of germination of the first seedlings depends on the outdoor temperature. If the average daily figures are in the range of 15-17 ° C, then the shoots will appear within two weeks.
After several true leaves form on young plants, planting will need to be thinned, removing occasional or immature seedlings.
A planting box or a pot about 15 cm deep is taken for sowing. Substrate is poured into 2/3 of it. The soil can be universal, for growing seedlings, but you can prepare it yourself from compost and sod land with the addition of sand.
After filling the container, the substrate is spilled, and it settles. The vacated space is again filled with the substrate. The seeds are laid out on the surface, after which they are covered with soil by 0.5 cm. It is impossible to water the fresh planting from above, but it is necessary to moisten the ground well with a spraying spray. After this, the box or pot is hermetically sealed with glass, a transparent sheet of plastic or polyethylene. The container is placed in a bright place where the temperature does not fall below 18 ° C.
If the planting material did not undergo stratification, then immediately after sowing, the box is removed to a cool place for 3-4 weeks, and then returned to heat.
Sprouts should seem on day 10-14.
Growing seedlings does not require careful maintenance. All that is needed is the timely moistening of the seedlings with a spray bottle and daily ventilation with the removal of condensate from the glass or film.
When the seedlings form two true leaves, it is time to pick them out and grow them separately. It is necessary for the formation of a healthy and strong root system. During picking into individual containers or peat cups it is important to perform all actions carefully in order not to damage the delicate root.
Immediately after the picking, the viskaria accelerates the growth rate and begins to form side shoots. After the appearance of the first side shoot, the cover can be removed from the tank.
By planting the plant is ready when several shoots have formed on it. This usually happens in May.
A loving culture needs to provide a plot with enough sunlight. Viskaria can grow in partial shade, but at the same time its flowering will be short and scarce.
Be sure to determine the response of the earth using indicator paper. Ideal neutral or weakly acidic environment. If the site has only alkaline soil, it should be acidified during the autumn preparation. For acidification, sulfur is introduced into the earth at the rate of 300 g per 1 m 2. Doing this in the spring before planting seedlings is not worth it, because sulfur is converted to acid very slowly.
When planting seedlings in open ground, you need to dig holes, focusing on the size of the land clod in the cup, where a dive plant developed. The holes should be made no closer than 15 cm from each other, retreating between the beds of 15 cm. It is best to plant the viskaria in a staggered manner: then in the near future the flower garden will turn into a solid flowering carpet. For large hybrids landing pattern 30x30 cm.
After planting, the beds are watered and mulched with high-moor peat.
Care and cultivation
Further cultivation depends on the timeliness of irrigation, fertilization, loosening the soil and pruning tar.
Viskaria does not belong to moisture-loving crops, but it does not like drying when grown, so additional watering is required during periods of summer drought. At moderate temperatures, one watering per week will suffice, and in the heat you will have to moisten the beds two or three times a week.
Between irrigation, the top layer of soil should dry out, otherwise the roots can be affected by rot.
Weeding is needed once a week, but you don’t need to go too far in order not to damage the roots. Regular loosening will ensure a normal flow of air and gas exchange.
During weeding should remove the weeds that grow between the bushes. When the clumps are big enough to grow together into a common carpet, the need for this procedure will disappear.
In order for plants to actively grow green mass and form buds, they will need additional feeding.
At the stage of spring build-up of shoots for viscaria, they prepare such a solution:
- 1 tbsp. l urea,
- 1 tbsp. l granulated superphosphate,
- 1 tbsp. l potassium sulfate.
All this is diluted in a bucket of warm water until completely dissolved.
When the first buds appear, every two weeks the beds are fertilized with a full mineral complex.
After completion of flowering, all dried flower stalks are cut, as they weaken the bush and do not allow it to re-form buds. Inflorescences should be left only if it is decided to collect the seeds for planting next season. To do this, choose the largest and most healthy inflorescences, which should dry out on the bushes.
What are the Viscarias
The variety of this plant allows you to pick flower growers a variety of colors or combinations of varieties of different colors. The most popular varieties of Wiscaria are: Holiday, Blue Angel and Lychnis.
The first grade has a stem height of up to twenty-five centimeters and is well suited for decoration of borders and flower beds. Holiday blossoms in a month after sowing seeds in the ground.
Blue Angel got its name because of the flowers of gently blue color, the size of which can reach up to four centimeters in diameter. The plant shows its first flowers in one and a half - two months after sowing.
The third variety is quite high and is perennial. The flowers are large white or red, and appear only the next year after planting the seeds.
Viskaria - growing from seed
Special nuances in the cultivation of seeds of this flower does not exist, as Viskaria is an unpretentious plant, and the seeds are cold-resistant. Seeds can be sown throughout the year, starting from the autumn period, then in April in greenhouses and already at the end of spring in open ground.
Most often, experts recommend sowing seeds before winter, but do it in temperate climatic zones. The best place is the sunny side of the site. Лучшую приживаемость Вискария дает в том случае, если высаживается рассада в конце весеннего периода или же семена в начале лета.
Как ухаживать за цветком
Следуя основным несложным правилам, можно добиться получения красивого грациозного цветка, который порадует нежными цветками, схожими на гвоздику.
Even if Wiscaria feels good in the selected area, after five years it is still recommended to transplant it to another place. The soil should not be acidic, with a good drainage system. Watering is moderate, making sure that the soil is not very wet or dry. Watch out for moisture during the summer heat. It is best to fertilize the land before planting plants, for which organic fertilizers are used. If the soil is rich in clay, then compost will be needed, for others the sand of a large fraction will suffice. Places for planting should be well lit, but partial shade is quite suitable for Viscaria.
If all growing conditions are met, the flower is not susceptible to diseases and the influence of pests. The only weak point can be called the rapid development of the fungus, if the plant will be heavily overwetted. Fighting mold is very simple and involves the use of standard chemicals.
The frost resistance of the plant makes it popular among flower growers, since it does not require additional shelter during the cold season.
Preparation and planting seeds in the ground
Since the viscaria is very resistant to low temperatures, it is possible to start planting seeds in the ground in the middle of spring. Some gardeners plant seeds of plants for the winter for quick spring flowering.
- Preparation of the garden plot. Before planting, first choose a place where they will land a viscaria. Most varieties are light-loving plants, so you need to try to choose a more open place. Can be planted in a shady place, but then the effect of flowering will be quite different. The soil should be well drained and loose. If the land is highly acidic, then it should be deoxidized by adding lime or wood ash. The site for planting carefully digging, and you can make organic fertilizer. Be sure to after digging level the area with a rake. Seeds that will be planted, you must first prepare. To do this, they are treated with a weak solution of potassium permanganate and dried well. Then they need to harden, placing in the lower section of the refrigerator. If landing occurs in the winter, then they do not need to harden.
- The landing process. It is recommended to land the viskaria square-nested way. If the plants are short, the holes are made according to the 15x15 cm scheme, and for tall varieties this distance is doubled. The wells do shallow and shed them in advance with water. 3-5 seeds are lowered into each well and covered with soft earth or peat. After two weeks, the first shoots should appear, and after 40 days, mass flowering will begin.
Gallery: viscaria (25 photos)
Planting on seedlings usually begin in early spring. To do this, prepare the seeds, i.e., soak them in a solution of potassium permanganate, dry them and put them in a cool place. In a specialty store you can buy land for seedlings. Prepare containers with a wall height of at least 15 cm, lay a drainage layer of pebbles at the bottom and cover it with earth.
The soil is well moistened. Make shallow grooves at a distance of 10 cm from each other. The seeds of this plant are very small, so you need to try sparsely pour them to the bottom of the grooves. Next, cover them with earth, you can cover with a film with holes. When sprouts appear, the film is removed, and the containers are put on a well-lit place. With the onset of warm days, seedlings can be planted on a permanent place of the garden.
Flowers are very unpretentious, so do not take much time.
- Watering should be carried out regularly at least once a week.
- In the dry season, watering is carried out more often, but you can not pour, so that the roots do not rot.
- The soil around the plants is loosened regularly, especially after watering. During loosening, weeds are removed.
- These flowers are good for dressing. Fertilize preferably three times per season. The first dressing is carried out before flowering. Apply superphosphate, urea and potassium sulfate, which is dissolved in a bucket of water in a tablespoon of each drug.
The second time fed up during flowering. Apply fertilizer "Agricola" together with superphosphate and potassium sulfate, dissolving them in a bucket of water. The same drugs can be used for the third feeding. Perennial viscaria in the autumn must be cut, leaving 5 cm of the stem above the ground. These plants are very resistant to pests, but sometimes they are overpowered by aphids, spider mites and slugs. If this happens, the plants are sprayed with soapy water. Growing viscaria from seeds is a simple process, but it is used less often by gardeners than other types of propagation of this plant.