Tomatoes can be grown not only in the beds in the garden or greenhouses, but also at home on the windowsill. This is not an exotic, but a reality. Create a home garden is easy. Tomatoes grown on their own, of course, will not yield much yield, but you can get a few kilograms of healthy vegetables. How to grow tomatoes on the windowsill in the apartment, read the article.
The choice of place of growth
Tomatoes - light-loving culture. If they lack coverage, their flowers will fall off. This means that the ovaries will not. Therefore, the best place for tomatoes on the windowsill is the southern windows in the apartment. To cultivate was full, you should install additional sources of artificial light. Using fluorescent lamps - the best option.
Devices for additional lighting should be installed at a distance of 25-30 cm above plants. The light time of the day for tomatoes at home on the windowsill should be 13-16 hours. Lamps must be turned on early in the morning, before the dawn comes, and also late in the evening, when the sun has already set.
Getting the fruits of tomatoes on the windowsill depends on what time the seeds are sown in the seedlings:
- If this is done in the summer-autumn period, the cultivation of seedlings occurs in September-October, and the harvest in December-January.
- If the seeds are sown in the winter-spring period, seedlings should be grown from the end of December. The first fruits can be expected in late spring or early summer.
Growing tomatoes on the windowsill is no different from a similar garden crop procedure. This is done with the help of seedlings, the methods of obtaining which are different. For this you can use seeds or cuttings. But before you grow seedlings, you need to prepare planting material. Seeds buy in the store or use their own, which are collected from grown tomatoes. No matter how the planting material appeared, it should be prepared before sowing. To do this, do the following:
- First, the seeds are sorted. They are soaked in water with a small amount of salt. Unsuitable for sowing, hollow float to the top, they need to be thrown away. Those that remain at the bottom of the tank are suitable for use.
- Then the seeds are disinfected. For this, a weak solution of potassium permanganate is suitable.
- This can finish the preparation of seeds, but for the best germination it is recommended to germinate them. A bag of soft fabric is taken, moistened, and planting material is laid in it. For some time you need to leave the seeds alone, until they swell.
During the reproduction of tomatoes by cuttings, the harvest can be obtained much faster, as the time required for growing the seedlings is saved. How to plant tomatoes on the windowsill? To do this, during shoveling shoots do not need to be thrown away, they can be put into a glass of water for rooting, or immediately planted into the ground. Pots with cuttings should be in a warm room, where there are no drafts. When cuttings take root well, they should be planted in pots for permanent growth. The method of cultivation of tomatoes by cuttings is suitable not only for their cultivation on the windowsill. Many gardeners use it to obtain seedlings, followed by planting in the beds.
To grow tomatoes on a window sill in the winter, care should be taken to prepare the substrate at a different time of the year, before it gets cold. Tomatoes like a loose nutrient soil with a neutral acidity index. It is easier to buy such a soil mixture in the store. But many prefer to cook it yourself, choosing the appropriate option. An example of some of them:
- Vermiculite - one part, sod soil and compost - in four parts.
- Sand and garden land in a ratio of 1: 2.
- Peat, humus, and turf are mixed in equal amounts.
Garden or garden land need to disinfect with boiling water or steamed in the oven. So harmful bacteria and larvae of pests will die.
How to plant tomatoes at home on the windowsill? For this you need seeds that are planted in boxes, containers or individual cups. In the case of the use of common containers, they need to be filled with nutrient soil and water it. Then spread the seeds on the soil surface one to two centimeters one from the other and push the finger into the ground at the same distance. Next, the crops are sprinkled with soil and compacted, but not much.
Seeds for quick germination need to create a greenhouse effect, which should cover them with a film. So that it does not accumulate condensate, small holes are made all over the surface of the shelter. Tanks with a landing put in a room with a temperature of 22-24 ° C.
How to care for seedlings?
When the seeds germinate, the film must be removed. Small plants are called seedlings. She will grow up weak if she is poorly cared for. When planting at a permanent place of growth will take a long time to take root, which in the future will negatively affect the development of the plant, its flowering and fruiting. Care consists of the following procedures:
- The room in which the seedlings are located should be aired.
- In a period of intensive growth, seedlings need regular watering.
- If crops are thick, they need to thin out.
- In cloudy weather, artificial light should be turned on, and in strong heat, plants should be shaded from direct sunlight.
- When two leaves are formed, which will happen in about 20 days, you need to feed the seedlings with mineral supplements.
Very soon, the seedlings will grow up, get stronger and be ready for picking. In a tank of what size to plant plants? It all depends on their variety:
- Dwarf tomatoes for normal growth rather small pots, the volume of which is two liters.
- Sredneroslye tomatoes need more space. For planting seedlings of these varieties choose containers twice the previous ones.
- Amputel varieties need a large pot - five liters or more.
Picks are considered the most popular method for planting seedlings at a permanent place of growth. Its essence is as follows: the roots located in the center are shortened by a third part, so that they grow in breadth. But miniature tomatoes of many varieties do not need this, as they are transplanted by transshipment. At the same time, the clod of earth is not disturbed; they do not even touch the roots. In pots with drainage, recesses are made, where the plants are placed.
Top dressing and watering
To moisten the soil in which the tomatoes grow on the windowsill in winter, only warm water is used. This procedure is carried out at intervals of three to four days, when the top layer of soil dries out. Feed tomatoes at least three times a month. If these two procedures are carried out more often, the green mass will increase, but the size of the fruits and their number will decrease.
Shoots, the formation of which occurs in the axil of leaves, called stepchildren. They should be removed, for which it is enough to pinch your fingers. Productivity will decrease significantly if you do not do this, as a lot of foliage is formed, and the growth of this nutrient takes place. Some varieties are formed in two or three trunks. In this case, the stepchildren are left at the bottom of the bushes.
Processing room tomatoes
If you take care of tomatoes at home incorrectly, they are also damaged by pests and are affected by diseases. The most common disease of culture is late blight. For preventive purposes, it is important not to allow water to stagnate in the pot. For this fungus, fresh air is destructive, so the bushes of plants should be aired regularly. At home, you can prepare a tool that helps in the fight against fungus: 100 g of minced garlic and one gram of potassium permanganate is diluted in three liters of water. The solution must be sprayed the bushes of tomatoes for preventive purposes.
For home garden, equipped on the windowsill, you need to choose a dwarf, low-growing varieties of tomatoes, as well as hybrid, self-pollinated. The fruits of these crops are characterized by low weight, and the plants feel great in small pots. To date, the work of breeders derived a large variety of varieties and hybrids. But in order to grow exactly what is suitable for specific growing conditions, you need to choose by trial and error.
The fact is that each apartment has its own microclimate, which is ideal for some varieties and is not suitable for others. And it may be that the same variety in one room grows, develops, blossoms and bears fruit well, and in the other - badly. Tomatoes on the windowsill behave exclusively individually in different apartments. This should definitely be remembered. Some varieties of tomatoes for the window sill are presented below.
Variety is popular because the fruits ripen quickly. It is often grown on window sills. Bushes are low, the stems cease to grow when they form three inflorescences. Each flower forms 7-10 large fruits that have a pointed shape and bright red color.
Tomatoes are low-growing varieties, therefore, for their cultivation is suitable sill. Culture unpretentious to the conditions of growth. It is resistant to temperature changes, the composition of the soil, withstand the lack of moisture. From the fertilized flowers form smooth tomatoes of small size, they are usually in the inflorescence of four to seven pieces. The fruits are pinkish crimson shade elongated shape.
Cherry tomatoes on the windowsill
This type of culture has fruits of red, yellow and pink shades:
- Cherry with red fruits. Refers to mid-season varieties. Shoots in length are not limited by the number of inflorescences, which have a very original form - in the form of a whip. On it are formed miniature fruits of red color in large quantities.
- Cherry yellow. In terms of ripening do not differ from the previous variety. Suitable for growing on the windowsill and under the film shelter on the garden beds. After the formation of four or five flowers, the plant ceases to grow. Round fruits of yellow color in large quantities are formed from inflorescences.
- Cherry pink. Fruits have a corresponding color. This is an indeterminate plant, the height of the bushes reaches one and a half meters. Inflorescences form 14-25 egg-shaped fruits.
These tomatoes belong to the early ripening varieties, the bushes grow to a meter and a half. The fruits have a red color, round shape, they contain a lot of sugar. The size of the tomatoes is quite large, weighing up to 100 g each. If plants are well cared for, you can get high yields, two kilograms of fruit from a bush. The culture is adapted to low light, has high fruiting even in winter.
Small bushes up to 30 cm high neat and very lush. The fruits have a rounded shape, they are painted in a red tint, weighing 25 g. In one season, one kilogram of tomatoes can be collected from each plant. They are very tasty and have a wonderful presentation.
This variety is the best among the potted crops of this species. Plants are compact, reach a height of only 30 cm, a lot of foliage. The weight of red fruits is 20 g. Tomatoes are used to make salads, they are made into preparations for the winter. In summer, the cultivation can be carried out in open soil, and in the fall, before frost, the plants need to be transplanted into pots and placed on window sills in the apartment. Fruiting is good, one bush gives one and a half kilograms of fruits.
Waiting for the harvest
During the flowering period, certain varieties of tomatoes at home on the windowsill need to be pollinated. To improve this process, you can shake the bushes and brush the flowers in gentle movements. How to grow tomatoes on the windowsill, so that the formation of the fruit was faster? Experienced gardeners have in stock a more efficient technique, which is called "root breaking." It lies in the fact that the stalks are taken at the bottom and stretch upwards, as if the plant is being pulled out of a pot. During this procedure, the roots of small sizes break off. So the plants will not spend their strength on their development, all the nutrients will take away the fruit.
When growing tomatoes on the windowsill, the main goal is to get a good harvest. For this, it is important that the formation of the ovaries is good. What do people do with the experience of such cultivation? They secrete the second and third brushes of the fruit and spray them with a solution: one liter of water contains one gram of boric acid.
In anticipation of the harvest of tomatoes on the windowsill you should not hope for a miracle, you need to do everything possible to get more fruits with high quality. To this end, during the ripening period of the tomato, the twigs should be tied up with pegs placed in pots. So they under the weight of the fruit will not break. It is better to collect the fruits brown, at home they will ripen quickly. This is necessary in order to enable the next crop to ripen.
Tomatoes on the windowsill: is it real?
Thanks to the efforts of breeders, a variety of different hybrid varieties of tomatoes, unpretentious but very productive, appeared easy to grow on the windowsill at home in an ordinary flower pot. By maintaining a microclimate that is suitable for the growth of the tomato, you can pamper yourself in the winter with the unique taste of homemade tomatoes.
Growing a tomato on the windowsill
Because the ripening time of various early ripening varieties varies from 90 to 110 days, it is easy to calculate the date of planting the seeds so that fragrant fresh tomatoes are ripe for the New Year's table. The main thing - to choose the right variety that meets all your wishes. You will get the opportunity to harvest a large crop from a limited area at any time of the year.
The best indoor varieties for the mini-garden at home
For the window beds of tomatoes suitable stem and ampelnye varieties. They develop in height no more than 35-45 cm, they do not branch out, which means that they should not be tied up. Many hybrids have an adaptation to a short day of light and lack of sunlight, good resistance to the most common diseases (black leg, leaf mold).
With neat little bushes you get 1-2 kg of fruit per season. If you plant in batches in several bushes with an interval of 20-30 days, you can provide yourself with vitamins for the whole winter. In addition, indoor tomatoes have excellent taste and high content of sugar and vitamins in the pulp (compared with the usual).
The best standard hybrids for growing on the window at home are:
Early shtambovy bush with a dense crown, height - 40 cm, fruits are sweet, juicy, yellow. Differs in high productivity.
There are a lot of room and balcony varieties, and all of them are deservedly popular: Cheripalchiki F1, Balconi Yellow, Pearl Yellow, Bonsai Micro, F1 Balcony Red, Room Surprise, etc. A unique feature is that they can grow more than one season. Dried bushes can be left in pots, occasionally watered, and after a while green leaves will begin to appear again. Tomatoes are able to grow until 5 years, but the yield will decline. The bushes most abundantly bear fruit during the first 2-3 years.
Proper seed preparation for planting at home
The principle of growing tomatoes at home is no different from growing in the garden: First, we obtain seedlings from seeds, then we pick it in pots in a permanent place. Advance should be concerned about the preparation for planting seeds and soil.
But still, before planting, it is better to once again check and sort the full-fledged kernels from empty ones. To do this, put them in salted water for 10 minutes (1 teaspoon per 200g of water). Semi-dried or empty seeds will float, and healthy, full-grown seeds will sink to the bottom. They need to soak for 20-30 minutes in a solution of manganese, to protect future plants from late blight.
To speed seed germination for a couple of days, you can put them in a damp cloth for “pecking”. The tomato kernels prepared in this way are sown in a container for seedlings in a moist soil to a depth of 1 cm and at a distance of 3 cm from each other. After that, the soil is lightly tamped down, covered with plastic wrap and cleaned in a warm place until germination. The film needs to be punctured in several places so that excess moisture does not accumulate under it, as this may cause diseases of the seedlings. Daytime temperature is desirable to withstand + 22-25 degrees, night - + 15-17.
Approximately in a week, the first leaflets appear (false), the temperature at this time is lowered to 20 degrees and the room is occasionally ventilated. It is also necessary to monitor the humidity - not to overdry, but not to overwet, so that the seedlings do not get sick with a “black leg”.
After 7-10 days you can observe the first shoots of tomato
The soil can be prepared independently or buy a ready substrate. Для здорового роста растений и получения хорошего урожая наиболее подойдет такая смесь:
- сама почва должна состоять из 50% перегноя, 45% чернозема, 5% песка,
- для обогащения на одно ведро грунта вносят 1 стакан древесной золы, по 1 спичечному коробку суперфосфата, сульфата калия, мочевины.
Fill the containers with this mixture - plastic cups with drainage holes or wooden boxes with pallets 10-12cm high.
Transplanting tomato seedlings and further care
After the emergence of 2-3 true leaves on the shoots, it is necessary to pick the seedlings, i.e. you need to choose the strongest and most developed sprouts and plant them in pots or other containers specially prepared for this. The size of the container should be 8-10 liters, for the smallest decorative varieties of tomatoes, you can take a container with a size of 4-5 liters. In the process of plant care, you must follow the basic rules and technology of agricultural technology:
For the cultivation of indoor tomatoes in winter, choose containers of 2 liters (for dwarf varieties), 4 liters (for medium-sized varieties) or 5 liters (for ampelous plants)
- Lighting. Pots with tomatoes are placed on the windowsills on the south side. Once every two days they are turned 180 degrees so that the plant is level and does not lean in the sunny direction. In case of cloudy weather, as well as in the mornings and evenings, it is necessary to provide the plants with additional illumination - fitolampa or even ordinary electric lamps (except for those varieties whose growth does not depend on the length of the daylight hours).
- Watering. Indoor tomatoes are very sensitive to watering. Regular soil moistening promotes good growth, formation of ovaries and ripening of fruits. The lack of moisture will lead to the fall of the fruit, but the excess of it leads to the spread of various diseases - rot, late blight, fungal infections. You need to water 2 times a week, moderately and not irrigating the stems. With the beginning of flowering, watering should be stopped and resumed with the appearance of ovaries.
- Top dressing of tomatoes. Three weeks after diving the seedlings and then every 10-15 days we fertilize the plants with special mineral and organic fertilizers, which we apply to the wet soil on the second day after watering.
- Tying lashes. Low shtambovy bushes with a steady trunk usually do not need a support. The branches of medium-sized tomatoes are tied to pegs, which are stuck into the ground, trying not to damage the root system.
- Masking Be sure to conduct pasynkov, i. removal of shoots, "stepchildren" in the axils of the leaves throughout the growth of plants for its proper formation. Pasynki zagushchayut plant pick up nutrients, reduce the yield of tomatoes.
- Pollination. Potted varieties have a good enough yield without pollination, but if you wish, you can carry out pollination with a brush, carefully running it through the flowers.
Growing hybrid varieties of tomatoes on the windowsill in the winter - This is not only a benefit, but also a great pleasure, a very interesting activity. Paying a little attention and free time, you get a harvest of exclusive varieties of bright, sweet and very useful tomatoes from your window sill. To care for such a plant will be easy, even for novice gardeners.
How to grow tomatoes on the windowsill in the apartment: preparation
Growers note that it is possible to grow dwarf tomatoes in the winter in an apartment. This is primarily due to the fact that such varieties normally tolerate direct sunlight, are not afraid of shade, drafts and do not require much attention. A dwarf tomato bush will allow you to get fruits weighing up to fifty grams.
The process of sowing homemade tomatoes can be done in two terms. In order to enjoy the fruits of their own growing on New Year's Eve, they should be sown at the end of August. In this case, the harvest will be approximately from December to January. Sowing the next batch is carried out in December - we plan to harvest for March.
Inventory required for growing tomatoes in the winter in a city apartment:
- The capacity in which the growing process itself will be carried out. It is better to use cylindrical pots. They should be located on the windowsill, located on the south side of the building.
- If necessary, additional lighting should be arranged to compensate for the lack of sunlight in the plant. We recommend using fluorescent or sodium discharge lamps, they produce little heat and give enough light of the desired spectrum for good photosynthesis in the leaves of the shoots.
- At the first stage of planting, it is necessary to use pallets in which the seeds are planted. For the best result they are covered with a film before the first shoots. During this period, tomatoes grown in the apartment should be in a room with a temperature of at least twenty-five degrees. The film can be removed only after the appearance of two sheets. Then transplanted to another soil for the further development of shoots.
The process of care when growing tomatoes in the winter in an apartment is similar to the care in natural soil: watering, feeding, eliminating diseases. Hydroponics can also be used to grow plants at home.
How to grow tomatoes in the apartment: the features of external conditions
To grow tomatoes in an apartment, you must comply with a certain mode of temperature, light, humidity. It was noted that the flowers of tomatoes may begin to turn black and fall off if the shoots themselves are in low temperature soil or are poured with cold water. High air humidity (greater than 65%) may adversely affect the pollination process. This situation threatens the already ripe fruits covered with brown spots.
If moisture is insufficient, then the plant is covered with top rot.
Tomatoes are pollinated on their own, for this you need to slightly shake the bush so that the pollen gets to its intended purpose. In nature, this task is performed by the wind, and at home man.
The plant needs watering as the soil dries. To determine this need, it is necessary to take a soil sample at a depth of seven centimeters and squeeze it in your hand. Watering should not be done if a ball has been formed from the obtained sample, which cannot be crushed with a slight pressure. Water should be no colder than twenty degrees Celsius in order not to harm the plant.
The first feeding should be done at least ten days after transplanting seedlings into new soil. The second fertilizer treatment is scheduled in a week. The following dressing can be carried out during the formation of buds on the shoots. After that it is recommended to apply fertilizer every two weeks.
The mixture for the first feeding should consist of three liters of water, in which 1.5 grams of ammonium nitrate, twelve grams of superphosphate, three grams of potassium sulphate are dissolved. For subsequent procedures, it is necessary to gradually double the dosage.
To grow tomatoes in the winter in the apartment should be in the formation of the fruit to make the following feeding: three liters of water, five grams of ammonium nitrate, sixteen grams of superphosphate, six grams of potassium sulfate. Watering the plant should be carried out the day before the planned fertilizer. Note that for one tomato bush should spend 0.3 liters of solution.
An excellent harvest will be obtained if you produce regular airing of the room. It is necessary to pour the soil immediately before the appearance of the first hand, as well as after the fruit is set.
The secrets of growing tomatoes in the winter in the apartment
The question of whether it is possible to grow tomatoes in the winter in an apartment is no longer necessary, and now we will describe a few more special techniques for successfully obtaining a crop of tomatoes:
- Fruits will begin to form faster, if you previously "tear the roots." To do this, the tomato bush is taken behind the stem and stretches slightly from the soil.
How to grow tomatoes on the window sill in a pot
This process leads to the fact that there is an tear of small roots. After that, the plant requires careful watering and hilling. This process leads to the acceleration of stem growth and the rapid formation of fruits.
If you pay enough attention and treat the process of growing tomatoes in an apartment with full responsibility, the bush will thank you with an excellent harvest. The tomato will be juicy, tasty and can become the highlight of any holiday table. It should be noted that the fruits of dwarf tomato when canning do not crack.
Many other interesting information read on our website.
the main»Home plants»Vegetables, fruits and greens»Tomatoes on the windowsill
Tomatoes on the windowsill: beautiful, tasty, cozy
Do you want to grow a beautiful and positive potted plant that will delight you and your loved ones for years with small tasty fruits? Plant a room tomato! With easy care, this wonderful plant will bear fruit year-round. Yes, yes, you heard right. In fact, a tomato is a perennial plant growing at home (Latin America) up to 10-15 years! How much it will live with you depends on the care and love for your new pet.
Energy room tomato
This plant is interesting not only by the reality of harvest in indoor conditions, but also by its wonderful energy.
The tomato has a bright, fervent energy; it is an over-positive, literally sparkling plant. Tomatoes, do not laugh, love cheerful music - in a room where they play this often, they grow faster and make you happy with a great harvest!
In general, if you lack all this, plant a tomato at home!
You can plant tomatoes at any time of the year. In terms of the room, contrary to general opinion, it is better to plant tomatoes in the fall. Planting a tomato in the fall has significant advantages, which I will say below.
For an undersized variety, an average pot of 2-3 liters will be sufficient. The more, the better of course. The pot, as always, is best to take an earthen pot; in them the plants will feel best. It is possible and plastic, with a large number of holes in the bottom of the pot.
Put claydite on the bottom, in the absence of - pieces of foam plastic, foil balls, small wooden sticks. The task is to create an air gap between the bottom of the pot and the soil layer. Then, pour the earth - any, better store because
The author of the article still grows a tomato, which this year is 5 years old. In the summer he lands in the open ground at the cottage, is dug out in the fall and lives until next summer in a room in a pot. Not a single tomato bush, grown in the classical way through seedlings for 1 year, did not produce so many tasty and beautiful tomatoes.
A tomato at home is a beautiful, cozy and positive plant, and if you add tasty fruits to it, it becomes clear why more and more people grow them on window sills. Try it and you!
Date of article: 06/09/2013
the main»Home plants»Vegetables, fruits and greens»Tomatoes on the windowsill
Tomatoes, tomatoes on the windowsill. Growing from seed at home, in an apartment at the window, balcony, in a pot. Sowing, care, harvesting
Garden on the windowsill. How to plant and grow tomatoes at home. How to sow, care, harvest. Personal practical experience (10+)
How to grow tomatoes on the windowsill
On the windowsill you can grow tomatoes in various ways. When a sunny day grows and when it decreases. In principle, tomatoes do not care what the length of the day is, but as practice shows, they grow better when there is a lot of light. Therefore, in the fall and winter, the window sill should be illuminated with fluorescent lights.
And, preferably, the lamp is located closer to the plants and vary the backlight depending on the brightness of the day. In December and with a gloomy day, the backlight should be maximized. To do this experimentally, for example, turn on the lamp for 4 hours, and after four days evaluate how the tomatoes grew. And, if the view of the tomato does not improve or remains the same, it is necessary to increase the lighting time, and if the appearance of the plants improves, then reduce the backlight duration. From March to September, the backlight should be minimal. For the backlight should use energy-saving lamp. It is impossible to use an incandescent lamp, because it consumes a lot of energy (which is very expensive) and it heats the plant very much (the plant will burn out).
How to grow tomatoes in the open field.
The first steps
The first thing to do when you start growing tomatoes, choose a variety and container. Variety of tomatoes should be undersized. On the windowsill the height of the plant is always lower than on the ground. Capacity needed per plant of at least five liters. At the bottom you need a hole to drain the water so that the earth does not mold. At the bottom we place large stones or bricks, which need to be treated with boiling water, and on top to pour fertile earth. In order not to loosen the earth and activate the growth of new roots, as well as to feed the plant, the ground should not be filled to the top, but leave about 10 cm and then pour fresh earth once a week 1 cm.
In order for the plant to produce greater yields, the seeds that you will use must be treated with micronutrient fertilizers and decontamination. In spring or summer we sow seeds. And in the autumn it is better to root the stepson from the bush, which is grown in the greenhouse. To do this, hold in water until the roots appear and only then land in a prepared container. We carry out disinfection for 15-20 minutes in a pink solution of potassium permanganate. Seed saturation with microfertilizers occurs within 3-5 hours soaking them in an infusion of wood ash. Sowing seeds occurs at a depth of 2-3cm.
Until the stepchildren appeared, the care of the tomatoes is not complicated. The main thing is to maintain optimum soil moisture. And very dry and waterlogged soil for tomatoes is harmful. Watering should be better abundant, but this should be done less often. And try not to fall on the trunk and leaves with water. When the first peduncles appear, remove the top of the plants. From the bosoms of the leaves grow stepchildren. When they grow to 3-5cm, they are removed and left 1cm long penechki.
Flowers of tomatoes in natural conditions are pollinated with the help of wind and insects. During flowering at home, the plant must be gently shaken. When tomatoes are stretched in length, they need to add light, increasing the time for highlighting. If the plant has a thin trunk, tie it to the support. It will be necessary when the fruit grows and becomes heavy.
Even with excellent lighting, tomatoes ripen on the windowsill longer than on the ground. Therefore, tomatoes must be plucked when they start to grow. They can ripen in a closed warm and dark room. But, small to 2-3 cm in diameter, the fruits do not ripen, and dry before they turn red.
Why grow tomatoes on the windowsill
The main reason is excitement. There is no garden plot, and you want to enjoy the fun of plants. When tomatoes grow on the window sill in winter and bear fruit, it gives a charge of cheerfulness and improves mood. And also you will have on the table a tasty and healthy product all year round. Communicating with plants has a positive effect on the nervous system and immunity.
(read more ...) :: (to the top of the article)
Unfortunately, the articles occasionally contain errors, they are corrected, the articles are supplemented, developed, new ones are being prepared. Sign up for news to keep up to date.
If something is not clear, be sure to ask!
Ask a Question. Discussion of the article.
We are building a greenhouse ourselves, with our own hands. Self assembly, installation ...
Greenhouse, greenhouse with their own hands. Drawing, scheme, description of the assembly.
Tomatoes on the windowsill in winter: the best varieties and order of cultivation of tomatoes at home
The greenhouse has a ser ...
Microgreen (arugula, radishes, beets, cilantro) on the windowsill. Growing up ...
Garden on the windowsill. How to plant and grow micro-greens at home. What is it in…
Why does the potato burn? How to fry potatoes without burning? Podgora ...
It turns out, fry the potatoes so that it does not burn, but it was golden ...
Armenian-style nettle soup is a cooking technology. Ingredients, pr…
How to cook nettle soup in Armenian. Personal experience. Council Detailed step by step ...
Ice cream maker - semi-automatic / automatic. The device, the principle of action. Prizes ...
Ice cream maker. How it works and works. Semi-automatic or automatic? A plus…
Watercress on the windowsill. Growing at home, in apartments ...
Garden on the windowsill. How to plant and grow watercress at home. How to choose ...
Fry the meat. Pork, beef. Frying, cooking. Right, juicy ...
Fried meat is tasty and simple. Easy way to make delicious, juicy fried ...
Digging a pit, a trench with his own hands. Dig, dig, dig. Independent ...
Digging a pit yourself, with your own hands. Receptions digging trenches, holes, grooves ...
Varieties of tomato for growing on the windowsill
First of all, you should pay attention to the indoor varieties of tomatoes:
- Balcony miracle
- Golden bunch,
- Room surprise,
- Rowan Beads.
These varieties of tomatoes are included in the State Register and recommended for growing indoors, on balconies and loggias.
Soil preparation for indoor tomatoes
Сеять комнатные томаты лучше в январе. Вырастить такое растение можно в глиняном цветочном горшке или специальном балконном ящике. Пластмассовые емкости не используют, т. к. в них томат развивается хуже.
Землю под посадку томатов готовят, как и для обычной рассады помидор. It is desirable to add peat to the earthen mixture (one-tenth of the total land volume).
Sown in winter, the plant begins to bear fruit in May, and sown in March and April at the end of June.
Agrotechnics and tricks room tomatoes
The “room” tomato likes the ground to be constantly wet. If it dries, the plant immediately drops the fruit. After 10-12 days, the plant should be fed the same way as ordinary soil tomatoes.
When growing "indoor" tomato, many make the mistake of turning it from time to time 180 degrees to the light. Of course, you want the bush to be neat and "not stick" to the glass. But, the plant reacts painfully to such manipulations. It is better to put a foil screen or just white paper behind the plant for better light reflection.
To loosen the ground at the tomatoes on the windowsill need shallow, because the roots are located very close to the surface. Once every two weeks, you need to spray the leaves with plain water to wash off the dust, and once a month - to feed with trace elements.
All branches of tomatoes must be tied up: under the weight of the fruits they can break, and then the growth will stop. In a mature state, the fruits are kept on the branches for a long time. Children like to take care of such bushes, getting the first skills in growing vegetables.
We wish you a great harvest of tomatoes!
The dates when it is necessary to start planting tomato seeds for window-growing, do not have such limitations as in the case of obtaining seedlings for open ground. It all depends on the period for which the fruit is planned: whether it will be year-round "exploitation" or whether the harvest will be subject to ripening in winter.
To have fresh vegetables throughout the year, regardless of the weather, the seeds can be planted in 4 approaches: autumn sowing in October and November will provide a winter harvest, and the February and March planting will guarantee the fruits in the summer.
Preparation of planting material
Potted tomatoes are grown the same way as garden crops - through seedlings. You can use your own seeds collected from your own homemade tomatoes, or you can buy them in the store. However, regardless of origin, all seeds must first be prepared for sowing. For this:
- Sort hollow seeds, soaking everything in salted water (those that come up - the seedlings are not suitable).
- Disinfect, leaving for half an hour in a solution of potassium permanganate.
To speed up the germination of seeds, they can be put in a cloth bag, wet it well and leave it on a saucer for a few days so that the seeds will swell.
Particular attention should be paid to the substrate for growing tomatoes on the windowsill. It should be loose, nutritious and with neutral acidity. The easiest way is to contact the same store where the seeds were bought, and purchase ready-made special soil mixtures for tomato seedlings. This will be especially true during winter sowing, besides, the store earth already contains all the necessary nutrients, and there is no need to add additional components.
If there is a desire and opportunity, the soil for growing tomatoes on the window sill can be prepared independently by choosing one of the suggested mix options, namely:
- 1 share of sand and 2 shares of garden land,
- humus, peat and sod land in equal shares,
- 1 share of vermiculite, as well as 4 shares of sod land and compost.
Land from the garden or garden should be disinfected before use by pouring boiling water or burning in the oven.
Further care for potted tomatoes
In order for the tomatoes on the windowsill to develop well and set fruit, they need to provide good lighting by placing pots on the southern windowsills. Every two days, the flowerpots must be rotated so that the bushes do not grow one-sided, and if the sun is not enough - finish lighting up.
It is also important to observe the irrigation regime, wetting the soil twice a week. It is impossible to allow complete drying of the soil, otherwise the ovary and fruits will crumble, but overmoistening threatens with putrefactive diseases. After dressing to a permanent place, you can start feeding the bushes in 20 days - during this time they adapt. Enough 3-fold application of complex mineral fertilizers within a month, otherwise there is a risk that the tomatoes will go into the growth of hardwood mass, which would entail a decrease in yield and shredding of fruits.
Fertilizers should be applied on wet soil, preferably the next day after watering.
Dwarf tomato varieties do not need to be putty and garter, but in higher species you should establish a support and form a bush in one or two stems, and also pull out the stepsons.
There are still some tricks that will increase the yield of tomatoes, namely:
- when the bushes bloom, several times you need to gently shake the plants - this contributes to a better pollination and, accordingly, will affect the amount of crop,
- if a lot of ovary has been formed, no more than 6 brushes should be left on each stem, vyshchypnuv others - so you can get fewer tomatoes, but they will be larger,
- for varieties that ripen unevenly, harvest better at the stage of half-ripening - then the bush will have more power for the remaining tomato branches, and the picked vegetables will quickly reach if they are laid out next to the pot on the windowsill.
Protecting tomatoes from diseases
Another point that is worth paying attention to is the protection of tomatoes in the pots from diseases, because even room conditions cannot guarantee their complete absence. One of the main enemies of the nightshade is late blight. To prevent its manifestation, it is important not to flood the bushes and drain the water from the pan. Even the fungus does not tolerate fresh air, so it is necessary to ventilate the room more often.
As a preventive measure, you can spray plants with home remedies made from the following components:
- 3 liters of water
- 100 grams of garlic (minced)
- 1 g of dry crystals of potassium permanganate.
Varieties of tomatoes for indoor growing
When choosing a sort of tomato for growing on the windowsill, it is worthwhile to prefer low-growing, early ripening and fruitful species due to limited space. They will not take a lot of places, and at the same time will enjoy delicious fruits in early spring. One of the most popular varieties are such tomatoes:
- Balcony miracle. The height of a dense even bush is not more than 60 cm. Small, round, bright red and sweet tomatoes ripen 90 days after sowing. The mass of one tomato is not more than 60 g. With one such dwarf you can take up to 2 kg of fruits.
- Dubok. The variety is not a hybrid, early ripe, slightly branchy, with a bush height of 40 to 60 cm. Rounded tomatoes weighing up to 100 g ripen at the same time, the flesh is fleshy, with a slight sourness. It requires artificial pollination in indoor growing, but it has a high resistance to late blight.
- Ruby Red The grade is created especially for cultivation on window sills, balconies and terraces. Bushes are compact, up to 50 cm in height. Small fruits weighing from 20 to 50 g have a sweet taste and rich red color.
- White filling. Bushes up to 70 cm high grow equally well both in open ground and in a pot. Fruits ripen after 85 days, they are quite large (up to 130 g), round shape, red in color with a slight white tint. The flesh is juicy, sour, the skin is dense.
- Little Red Riding Hood. High-yielding variety up to 70 cm high with thick stems. Red-orange fruits weigh 70 g, the flesh is juicy, sweet and sour.
- Leopold. Ultra ripe variety 70 cm high. Fruits are dull red, weighing about 100 g.
And in order to have fresh vegetables not only in spring, but also up to the New Year itself, you can plant taller (up to 1 m in height) hybrid varieties of cherry tomato. On the windowsill, they will occupy more space and will require shaping and garters, but they will bear fruit before the onset of winter.
One of the new, but already popular hybrids are the following cherry varieties: Ira F1, Lisa F1, Maksik F1, Lycopa F1. Small, but very tasty tomatoes of red or yellow color grow in whole clusters and quickly ripen.
Pots of cherry for the summer is better to make on the street or on the balcony, do not forget to pick up the house with a cold snap.
Growing tomatoes on the windowsill is a fascinating activity that will not only allow you to while away the long winter days, but also provide you with vitamins. Plant and eat on health!
Variety selection and planting rules
So, to get a high-quality crop of grown tomatoes on the windowsill, first of all, it is necessary to choose the right variety. The fact is that most varieties intended for cultivation in the greenhouse or in the open field, completely inappropriate for a balcony or window sill. It is best to grow on the windowsill low and medium varieties of cherry tomatoes, as in this case, the fruit will ripen faster and the lack of light in the winter will not affect the yield. Currently, a number of varieties that are optimal for growing in an apartment.
The following best varieties can be distinguished for planting on the windowsill:
- Balcony miracle.
- Pearl yellow.
- Polar explorer.
- The lamp of Aladdin.
- Alpatieva 905 A.
If there is a desire to get a tomato crop in winter, sow the seeds for seedlings in early August. The timely planting of seeds for seedlings is the most important point, so it is very important to prepare all the necessary equipment by this time.
Ordinary plastic cups with holes made below are quite suitable for growing seedlings. In the future, seedlings will need to be transplanted into containers, the volume of which should be about 7-10 liters.
Seeds before planting are best to germinate, because otherwise seedlings can be waited for a very long time.. To germinate, the purchased tomato seeds of the selected variety must be laid out on a piece of wet gauze and covered with another. After the seeds have come, you can begin planting them in cups. It is best to soak peat tablets specifically designed for growing seedlings in advance in cups. Next on the peat substrate must be sown in 1 seed per cup. Top seeds should be sprinkled with about 1 cm of the substrate layer.
Usually shoots appear about a week after planting. Water the seedlings with clean water. Fresh tap water is not suitable because it contains chlorine harmful to tomatoes. Such water must be defended for at least 1 week. You can also use a filter to clean the water. Watering seedlings of tomatoes growing on the windowsill, you need 1 time in 5 days. Spray tomato seedlings should not be, as this can harm the plants. It is possible to transplant plants to their permanent place of growth when they have 4-5 formed leaves.
Large pots for planting tomatoes are best filled with fertile black soil mixed with peat in a 3: 1 ratio. If desired, you can purchase a ready-mixed soil mixture, in which all the necessary fertilizers have already been applied. After planting tomato seedlings it is necessary to arrange her the right care. Pots should immediately be placed on the most well-lit window, as tomatoes are still warm and light-loving plants.
Care for tomatoes growing on the windowsill
The process of caring for tomatoes that grow on the window sill at home in the winter has its own specific features. First of all, it should be remembered that the space for growth of the root system of tomatoes in a pot is rather limited, therefore, for normal development and fruiting, the plant must be fed with fertilizers. About 7 days after transplanting, the first fertilizing is carried out with mineral fertilizers.
Usually fertilizing is carried out by fertilizers such as:
You can use other complex mineral fertilizers. Given that the tomatoes, limited pot, just nowhere to take nutrients, feeding should be carried out with an interval of 10 days. Usually, the first 2 dressings are carried out with a small amount of mineral fertilizers. ½ tsp is usually taken. fertilizer for 5 liters of boiling water. After cooling, the fertilizer solution is used for watering plants. Starting with the 3rd feeding, the concentration of fertilizers is increased to ½ tsp. fertilizer for 3 liters of water. Before using the prepared fertilizer solution must be filtered through cheesecloth.
Immediately after the start of flowering, it would be good to carefully remove a few upper centimeters of the earth and replace them with biohumus or humus.
The most important point is the observance of temperature. The temperature in the daytime should be at least 25 ° C, at night about 15 ° C. If there is a battery under the window sill, it should be covered with a wooden shield so that warm air rises in relative distance from the leaves of the plants. In addition, the most important point is the lighting.
In the autumn days, when the weather for a long time still pleases the sun, for the normal growth of tomatoes it is enough to turn the pots with different sides to the sun so that the leaves develop evenly. If you do not do this, the tomatoes on the windowsill will be pulled in the direction of the light source in the winter.
Given that by the middle of autumn there is a significant shortening of the length of daylight hours, the necessary measure is the arrangement of additional lighting. Best of all for the arrangement of the supplementary lighting system, fluorescent lamps are suitable that give enough light.
Can I plant tomatoes on the growing window at home?
Selection work is ongoing and their result has been a lot of hybrid varieties of tomatoes, suitable for growing in a flower pot. They are distinguished by unpretentiousness and yield.
A huge advantage of such cultivation is year-round, knowing the time of ripening, you can easily get a crop just in time for the New Year's table. The main thing - to choose the right grade.
The disadvantages of such tomato cultivation can be attributed perhaps to the limited plantings, especially if the window sills in the apartment are not wide and, of course, home yields will differ in size from those harvested from open ground plants.
How to choose a place?
No matter which side goes out the window, you can still get the harvest. Hybrids, intended for cultivation on window sills, are adapted to a short day of light and a lack of sunlight.
Tomato is a heat-loving plant, so the temperature near the bushes should be maintained at + 22-25 degrees during the day and not lower than +15 degrees in the evening. Also demanding tomatoes to humidity. Especially with the winter variant of cultivation, when the radiators of the heating dry up the air very much, which can cause a disease of the plant. Indoor air should be regularly humidified.
For beds on the window, standard and ampelous varieties are suitable.. Such plants in height do not exceed 35-45 centimeters. Top options:
Refers to dwarf varieties, does not grow above fifteen centimeters. The fruits are sweet - yellow or red, weighing no more than twelve grams. The state of health of the plant is completely independent of the length of daylight.
Bush is compact, fruits are sweet, round, weighing twenty grams. If you sow the seeds after the twentieth of September, the first harvest can be harvested by the New Year.
Ultra early variety, compact stem plant, 30-40 cm tall. Not a stakeon, fruits are red, round.
For the cultivation of miniature tomatoes is quite suitable ordinary flower potmade of plastic. Choosing the diameter you need to focus on the size of an adult plant.
For planting potted tomatoes suitable as a ready store substrate, and soil mixture, cooked yourself. This will require:
How to plant at home: technology from A to Z
- Planting material is best purchased in the store to be confident in its quality and compliance with the stated characteristics.
- Before planting, it is necessary to sort the empty kernels that are not capable of sprouting. To do this, they need to be lowered into salt water for ten minutes and substandard seeds will float, while healthy ones will sink to the bottom.
- Next, the seeds are soaked for half an hour in a solution of potassium permanganate to develop immunity to late blight in future plants.
- After all procedures, the seeds are placed in a damp cloth.
- After the sprouts appeared, the seeds are sown in the ground, deepening an inch, observing an interval of three centimeters.
- The soil is lightly tamped down, the container is covered with plastic wrap and cleaned in a warm place until germination. In the film you need to make small holes for air circulation.
- In a week, shoots will appear. It is necessary to ensure that the soil was always moderately moist.
- Seedlings of tomatoes dive in the phase of two true leaves.
- To make them easy to separate without damage, watering is stopped two days before the procedure.
- Carefully prying a sprout with a spatula along with an earthy clod, it is transferred to a new container with soil so that the stem is completely in the ground.
- The soil is slightly compacted and shed with warm water.
- Через месяц, во время которого саженцы нужно подкармливать минеральным удобрением, окрепшая рассада пересаживается на постоянное место методом перевалки.
- Карликовые растения можно высаживать по одному в отдельные горшочки.
- После высадки нужно поддерживать температуру +18 +20 градусов и не допускать воздействия прямых солнечных лучей.
Watering and fertilizer
Potted tomatoes are very grateful for irrigation. Moisturizing the soil contributes to healthy growth, friendly formation of ovaries and ripening fruits. Watering is carried out twice a week, without touching the stems. By the beginning of flowering, watering is stopped and resumed only with the appearance of ovaries.
Three weeks after the pick was taken, special mineral fertilizers are applied for the first time. Feed the tomatoes need at intervals of two weeks, making fertilizer on the second day after watering.
Diseases and pests
- Late blight - fungal disease transmitted by air, soil, through seeds and plant residues. Symptoms - dark brown spots on the leaves, with time passing on the stems and fruits. Able to completely destroy the crop. For prophylaxis, a method of soaking seeds in potassium permanganate is used at the germination stage, it is also possible to treat young plants with Bordeaux liquid.
- Blackleg - A fungal disease caused by planting thickening and lack of light. The base of the stem turns black, the plants are deformed, fall and die. For preventive purposes, the soil is enriched with ash and sand. If the disease is already in the active stage, the treatment is carried out with fungicidal preparations.
- Septoria- infection occurs through the soil. The lower leaves of the plant are covered with greyish spots with black dots, then the leaves turn brown and dry. Prevention - decontamination of soil with potassium permanganate, the affected parts are destroyed, and treatment is carried out using bordeaux treatment.
- Brown spot - light brown spots on the leaves, the cause of which is increased humidity and gulf soil. Treatment is similar to septoria.
- White fly - a small insect sucking on a leaf and resembling scales. Represents a threat as a carrier of disease. Adding a sufficient amount of nutrients will contribute to resistance, and the insects that have already appeared and their larvae can be washed off the leaves with soapy water or dandelion infusion.
- Thrips - insects, traces of life which manifest themselves in the form of dry, falling leaves and dried buds. The fight consists of sufficient watering and treatment with insecticides.
Growing tomatoes on the windowsill is an opportunity to harvest the fruits of fragrant fruits, not only in spring or summer, but all year round. This is an exciting activity that brings great pleasure even to those who have previously considered themselves far from the theme of gardening. After reading the article, you learned when to plant tomatoes and what varieties to choose for a bountiful harvest.