Most florists each year plant bright annual flowers on their plots. The most beautiful and fluffy plant is considered to be petunia, which can be successfully cultivated by creating a flower garden. It also grows well in drawers, on ordinary balconies. However, many are faced with the problem of forcing seedlings. Quite often, the plant is sick, so beginners have a question about why the leaves of petunias turn yellow with ordinary watering and lighting.
The versatility of the flower is manifested in everything: it gets acclimatized in flowerbeds and in flowerpots, it blooms for a very long time and has a delicate, pleasant aroma. By the way, there is practically no allergy to this plant. And autumn pot composition from petunias is a great alternative to artificial counterparts. To get a thick bush you need to take care of the quality of the seedlings and prepare the necessary fertilizers. Good and easy to care varieties are considered "Typhoon" and bright "Fortuny". Before germination of the first shoots, it is necessary to obtain information on why the leaves of petunias turn yellow and what needs to be done to correct this defect.
Distillation of flowers at home
You can buy ready-made seedlings, but it is quite expensive, so it is better to grow petunia bushes from purchased seeds. To get early flowering, seeds are sown in mid-February. As a container for seedlings use any suitable containers with fairly large drainage holes. Seeds are sown directly on prepared soil, which should already be hydrated. For improved ground contact, the seed is lightly pressed on top, but not sprinkled. At first, after emergence of shoots, it is better not to fertilize the soil. You can water them or spray a weak solution of manganese. If the leaves turn yellow in petunias, then more often this happens with seedlings. An adult plant is rarely subject to this disease. When germinating seeds, the air temperature must be maintained from + 24 ° C to + 26 ° C. Top containers cover with natural breathable material to preserve moisture, and they should stand on a warm and bright windowsill. Using tissue instead of the usual glass or film allows you to grow strong seedlings with strong stems. Finding out why the leaves of petunias turn yellow, the growers came to the conclusion that in most cases this is due to an imbalance in the mineral feed of the plants.
Lack of trace elements in flowering plants
After the emergence of the first shoots sprouts can change their color or lean to the ground. To understand why petunia leaves turn yellow, you need to do a little visual diagnosis. If the plant lacks nitrogen fertilizers, then its stems and bud of the future flower will not be bright, but pale green in color. In addition, yellow or brown spots may appear on them. Plant growth almost stops, and the side roots begin to die.
If not enough phosphorus, the leaves will be dark: purple, blue-green or even purple. With such a shortage of minerals, flowering may begin later or not at all. The edges of the leaves will become brown or orange.
Lack of potassium causes a disease in the plant such as chlorosis. Answering a question about why petunia leaves turn yellow, experienced growers call this disease the main reason. If you do not make potassium in time and start chlorosis, the plant will surely die. The application procedure of this mineral fertilizer should be carried out regularly, because it is washed out too quickly from heavy soils on a peat base.
Of all the fungal infections, petunia is most susceptible to a disease called powdery mildew. At the same time, the leaves of the plant acquire white bloom and subsequently begin to turn yellow. Infection occurs ascending, that is, from the lower leaves to the upper ones. If time is not noticed and no action is taken, all close-planted plants may die. At home, powdery mildew is less common. It usually infects flowers that grow in the open field.
At the first signs of disease, it is necessary to immediately remove the affected leaves, and sprinkle the remaining plants with sulfur. You can also spend processing fungicides.
Violation of irrigation technology can also cause yellowing of the leaves. Petunias do not tolerate excessive moisture. In such conditions, the plant begin to rot roots. In advanced cases, the roots completely rot and the plant dies. To avoid this, you need to follow a few rules:
- Petunia is easier to tolerate a small drought. Therefore, it is better to water less than overdo it.
- It is necessary to periodically loosen the ground so that no stagnation of water is formed and there is oxygen access to the roots.
- Damaged plants or plant parts must be removed immediately. The remaining flowers should be watered with a pale solution of potassium permanganate for decontamination.
It manifests itself in violation of the processes of photosynthesis in petunia. As a result, the leaves turn yellow. To avoid chlorosis, it is important to understand why it occurs. A common cause is lack of iron and excess calcium in the soil. Calcium accumulates when watering plants with excessively hard water. In this case, it is sufficient to use distilled water and apply iron-containing preparations. Also the cause of chlorosis can be alkaline soil environment. To neutralize the alkaline environment, it is necessary to periodically add a little lemon juice to the water for irrigation. But do not forget that petunias do not like too acidic environment.
It can be difficult to understand why the leaves of petunia suddenly turned yellow. If the care of the plant was correct, perhaps the reason lies in the fluctuations in air temperature. Then you can try to create favorable conditions for flowers. For example, if the box with petunia is on the open balcony and promises a sharp cooling, you can temporarily bring the plant into the room.
Wondering why petunia leaves began to turn yellow, you should carefully examine the plants. After all, we can not exclude such a frequent cause as the activity of insects. There are three types of insects, most often found on petunia leaves:
- Aphid. This insect settles in large colonies on the lower part of the leaves and feeds on plant sap. That is why the flowers affected by this pest begin to turn yellow. To get rid of aphids, there are several ways. You can try to do this by spraying the plant with a special preparation or a soap solution. You can remove aphids from the leaves mechanically, that is, with your hands or a water jet under pressure.
- Spider mite. It is so small that it is difficult to notice. But the tick pretends to be wrapped around the leaves of petunia with a thin web. Like aphid, the spider mite drinks the sap from the plant, thereby damaging its cells. This soon leads to damage, yellowing and drying of the leaves. Acaricides will help to get rid of the tick. You can also plant a number of crops that scare the tick. For example, violets, aloe, calendula or dandelion. It is worth noting that the spider mite loves when it's dry and warm. As soon as the air temperature drops or rains begin, the tick stops its activity and falls into a kind of hibernation.
- White fly. Like the previous pests, the whitefly feeds on sap and causes irreparable harm to the health of petunias. It looks like a lot of white small black flies, sitting on the back of the sheet. If you touch the sheet, the midges fly away. On the leaves appear characteristic white spots. If the whitefly had time to postpone the larvae, it becomes practically useless to fight it. The larvae are very tenacious. What to do if the whitefly settled on petunias, but has not yet set aside the larvae? It is necessary to process the flowers with a solution of soap and chemical preparations. Spraying should be repeated until the midges disappear.
What to do to prevent petunia disease? As a prevention, it is sufficient to properly care for the plant. At home, it is better to install a container with a flower on the windowsill on the south side. In dry hot weather, it is advisable to spray petunia more often with a spray bottle and water it daily.
Withered flowers should be removed immediately, otherwise the flowering splendor will decrease. To prevent the lack of trace elements, it is desirable to feed the plants with complex fertilizers during the entire flowering period. You should also, if possible, avoid strong fluctuations in temperature and do not leave flowers in the pouring rain. Subject to these rules, petunia will delight its lush beauty until the first frosts.
The difference between ordinary petunias from ampelous and cascading is that they grow more slowly. All plants first develop a central shoot, and then with sufficient illumination side. In a healthy plant, the lateral ones depart from the central one at a right angle, but they do not stretch upwards. If the grower notices problems with the formation of shoots, he must change first of all the conditions of the maintenance of the flower. Changing them, the bush will take on a different shape.
They also refuse to pinch for another reason: all petunias grown in Russian homes are hybrids, which always have a beautiful bush shape without using agrotechnical techniques. Only when growing ampel varieties of petunias pinch the bushes, giving an unusual shape in the form of a huge "ball".
An ampel petunias can have long lashes if they are not allowed to bloom for 3 months. To do this, refuse to feed with special fertilizers.
At the potted plant
With the onset of cold weather, indoor plants feel uncomfortable. The causes of poor health are obvious: dry air in the room, a violation of the humidity level. In the summer, the sun shines brightly, and with the onset of autumn it rains more often than by setting clear sunny weather. Because of this, the flowers get sick, and the flower growers find it by the yellow spots on the leaves. Their edges and tips turn yellow.
Yellowed leaves are a sign of painful response to drafts and cold air. In the summer, air conditioners or open vents create a comfortable microclimate in the houses. Airing the room, clean the petunias to the side or hide them behind the carton from the flow of cold air.
Unlike other indoor plants, petunia is glad to direct sunlight. Yellow spots on its leaves are not a sign of burns.
The main reasons for the yellowing of potted petunia:
- Due to improper care and non-compliance with watering.
- Also, petunia often falls prey to pests. Mealy dew is a fungal disease that develops due to a sharp change in humidity and temperature. At first, a whitish bloom appears on the leaves, but without taking action, it soon turns into yellowish spots.
- Another pest is the spider mite. Although the red spider is small, it does incredible harm to the plant. He cobwebs his leaves and stalk. They will receive less nutrients needed for development. In order not to spray petunia with tobacco tincture and wash the leaves with soapy water, keep the humidity level in the room under control and do not allow over-wetting of the soil.
- Chlorosis is another reason for yellowing leaves. This disease is provoked by improper watering and frequent fertilizing with high calcium fertilizers. Sometimes chlorosis develops due to the fact that the florist waters the petunia with hard, and not well-settled, water.
Petunias that grow in pots are more sensitive. Changing the conditions of the content leads to problems with the formation of chlorophyll in the leaves. Because of this, a dangerous disease, chlorosis, develops. To prevent yellowing of the leaves due to it, manure, oak leaf compost or sphagnum is added to the pots when transplanted. If the plant has been transplanted recently, and they have not taken care of soil acidification, then it will be necessary to water it with acidic water until the next transplant. Also, plants flowering in pots need iron supplements.
How to deal with the problem?
To prevent the leaves of petunia from turning yellow, the first step is to make sure that it has enough natural light. If the light is not enough, buy fluorescent lamps and use them as sources of artificial lighting.
If the top leaves on the plant have turned yellow, then it needs nutrients. In this case, increase the dosage of fertilizing or fertilize it more often than before. The main thing is not to overdo it: petunias do not bloom because of an excess of fertilizers.
When signs of chlorosis are detected (dying off the tops, a weak root system), petunia is fed on the fertilizer Uniflor-Micro.
Petunia does not suffer from seasonal diseases if the florist waters it once a day, in the evening. This helps prevent spider mites. Abundant watering is useless if small dots appear on the leaves. So that the petunia does not disappear, they urgently abandon it for a couple of days and daily loosen the soil. When loosening the soil, the roots will receive an additional dose of oxygen. Petunias begin to be watered again when a crust has formed on the upper layer of the earth.
A flowering plant needs regular fertilization every other week. Faded flowers are always removed with scissors to promote the appearance of new buds. When traces of rot are found on the roots, they buy a fungicide, but before processing the dark part of the stem is destroyed.
Petunia will never turn yellow leaves if:
- The florist does not use hard water for irrigation. He should water the petunia only when the topsoil is dry. Congestion warns, spending from time to time loosening the soil.
- He carefully monitors the temperature regime. You can prevent the appearance of purple and then yellow leaves on the flower, if you do not allow excessive air dryness. If they did appear, spraying with liquid ammonia will help. For five liters of water is diluted for this with 1 ml of ammonia.
- For prevention, petunia is fed with iron-containing fertilizers.
So, we have disassembled why petunia leaves turn yellow and how to deal with this phenomenon. Petunia grows well not only in flowerbeds. You can grow it in hanging pots and vases of the house on the windowsill or balcony. If you water it regularly, but in moderation, and feed it with the necessary fertilizers, the leaves will not turn yellow.
How to fix problem number 2?
It was said that powdery mildew is a fungal infection (a white bloom on the leaves), the cause of which is excessive moisture and a sharp change in air temperature. With a weak defeat of the plant is used "Fitosporin", and with a strong - "Topaz".
In order to solve the problem of why the leaves of petunia turn yellow, was solved once and for all, when the two problems are eliminated, the plant is transplanted into steamed soil, and then control over temperature and humidity is intensified.
Iron is lacking: what to do?
If these perennials are grown in pots or in alkaline soil, then they usually need Fe. If you notice a change in the color of the leaves (and the streaks have remained bright green, juicy), then the reason is indeed in Fe. They found out why petunia leaves turn yellow in pots or if they are planted in the garden, what to do, advise here that. Such a composition is prepared in the following ratios: 3 liters of distilled water, 8g of vitriol, 2 tsp. citric acid. They process not only the green part, they also use it for foliar irrigation.
We treat chlorosis, or increase the level of chlorophyll, thus:
- water should be soft, defended water
- if the plants first acquired a purple color and then turned yellow, then the temperature regime was disturbed (spraying with liquid ammonia or ammonium-containing fertilizer would be appropriate),
- the use of iron preparations in chelate form (in the form of a complex salt of divalent iron of light orange color).
Note: yellowness is not always an indicator of iron deficiency (possibly lacking nitrogen, manganese and other trace elements), and the lower leaves can change color from
Wrong watering petunias
Yellowing of the leaves of petunia can be caused by an excess of moisture in the soil, this leads to the fact that the root system of the plant begins to rot. Because of this, the stem of the bush loses its elasticity, the leaves of the plant gradually brighten, turn yellow and dry. What to do in this situation? If nothing is done when the leaves turn yellow, then inaction can lead to the death of the whole plant. Due to an overabundance of water in the soil, fungal diseases also develop.
You must immediately do the following to heal the flower:
- удалить пораженные части растения, все места срезов обработать фунгицидным препаратом,
- несколько дней не поливать цветок, пока верхний слой грунта полностью не высохнет, не допускать, чтобы влага застаивалась,
- разрыхлить грунт, чтобы влага из почвы быстрее испарилась.
Petunia tolerates rare watering much better than excessive moisture. In that case, if you do not water this flower for a long time, it will quickly become healthy after moistening the soil. But if the bush is not watered for too long, then it will weaken, lose its immunity, various pests will settle on it, so you will have to fight against the diseases of petunias with special preparations. So, soil moistening should be moderate and regular, it should not be allowed to dry out the ground, as well as stagnant water.
Spider mite and powdery mildew in petunia
If the leaves of this flower are yellowed, this may indicate powdery mildew, which is a common fungal infection. In this disease, the lower leaves first turn yellow, then all the others. This disease develops due to a sharp change in temperature and humidity. If the lower leaves on the petunias turned yellow, and a white coating appeared on them, the cause is powdery mildew. How to deal with this disease? The first thing you need to transplant diseased bushes in disinfected soil. Then you need to strictly observe the constancy of temperature and humidity in the room.
If the leaves turn yellow and dry, then it can also be caused by a spider mite. This tick appears due to excessive dryness of the soil and high humidity. When the leaves started to dry and the flowers stopped appearing, and a spiderweb appeared on the bush, it means that the plant is infected with spider mites. You can destroy it with special preparations that are sold in a flower shop. Some are struggling with this pest with folk methods, for example, with soapy water, which is sprayed with a flower, can also be sprayed with tobacco tincture. For the prevention of the appearance of this tick, you can pollinate the bushes of this plant, grown in open ground, with small sulfur.
How to feed petunia to make her feel comfortable? If petunia is grown in pots or in alkaline soil, the plant will lack iron, which will cause the flower to turn yellow. Petunia reacts fairly quickly if it lacks iron. Therefore, it is desirable to feed it with this trace element. It is also necessary to plant a flower in a sour substrate. How often do you need to feed the plant? Feeding should be no more than two or three times a month.
This disease affects the leaves of the plant. Chlorosis leads to the fact that a white bloom appears on the leaves, and after a while the leaves begin to turn yellow. The main cause of this disease is an increased calcium content in the soil. Calcium accumulates in the soil due to the fact that watering is performed with ordinary tap water, and also when the substrate is too alkaline or acidic.
To combat chlorosis, it is necessary to water the flower only with settled water, besides, it is necessary to control the acidity of the soil and use iron preparations as fertilizer.
Summing up this article, it can be noted that the petunia leaves brighten, turn yellow and dry for various reasons. This may be due to excessive soil moisture, various diseases such as powdery mildew and spider mites, as well as leaves may lose their green color due to improper soil, irregular dressings, and also due to chlorosis. First you need to find out why the leaves turned yellow, and then take the necessary measures to cure the flower.