The flowerbeds of blooming petunias look very nice. And how fragrant it begins to smell sweet in the evening! But few people know that such a miracle can be grown not only on the street, but also at home as a houseplant. Do you want to decorate your balcony or windows with this beautiful flower? Then our advice will be useful to you.
How to grow petunia in a pot?
Petunia is an annual plant, in order to make you happy every year, you will have to work a little. First you need to grow seedlings, and only after that you can plant petunias in pots.
It’s best to start growing petunia seedlings in February. Just be suitable temperature and lighting, and the time for plant growth will be enough.
- Wet the seeds of petunias on a flat, moist soil and sprinkle them a bit from a spray bottle or a special small cure. They do not need to be covered with earth, it will be enough just to put a light plank on them, thus ensuring the best contact with the ground.
- Seeds need heat, the most optimal temperature is 22-26 ° C. Cover your “bed” with a film and place it in the sun near the battery. By the way, experienced flower growers are advised to replace the film with non-woven material, considering that this creates a more favorable atmosphere for plants. What to choose - decide for yourself.
- When the seedlings begin to grow, you can remove their "blanket". Now you need to ensure that the temperature in the room was not higher than 20 ° C.
- After you have noticed the first true leaflets that have appeared, you can divide and replant the flowers into disposable cups. Some skip this stage, and some immediately plant seeds in disposable dishes. Why do you need it? If you plant sprouts in transparent plastic cups, then it will be easier to understand the moment when it will be time to plant the petunias in pots. When you see that the earth is all rummaged by roots, know that the time has come.
Now a few words about watering. Do not allow drying or excessive moisture of the soil - this can lead to the fact that your pets become seriously ill or just die.
How to put a petunia in the pot?
The key to success in this case is the correctly chosen pot. What pot is needed for petunia? For different varieties and types of flowers required pots of different volumes.
- the volume of the pot for bush and terry petunias is selected at the rate of 3 liters of soil for one flower. Do not fit in a 10-liter capacity of 4 plants, they will be cramped,
- for ampelous and cascade petunias, 5 l of earth is required, for one flower,
- Some of the most powerful cascade varieties (Typhoon and Tornado) require 15 liters of land per plant.
On what pots and how much you will plant your petunia depends on the entire end result. It is not worth the risk to place small sprouts in a small container, they will grow and become crowded. Flowers will have to give all their strength not to flowering and growth, but to fight for a place in the sun.
A little bit about the care of petunias
Growing petunia in pots requires its simple care.
- Periodically remove faded buds.
- In order for flowers to continue to actively bloom, remove the seed boxes.
- If in the middle of summer the whips of your petunias have grown strongly, and the flowering is becoming weaker, then cut your darling. Cut the lash to half the length, plenty of water and feed.
And again a little watering
- If the flowers are where the rain cannot fall, then in hot weather, the flowers need to be watered every day.
- If the flowers are in an open place, then in rainy summer you need to cover them from the rain, because an excess of moisture leads to the death of the flower. Also do not forget about the drainage holes that should be in each pot.
If you follow these simple rules, then you will have a beautiful flower that will delight you with its blooming look all summer and autumn.
Growing petunias in a pot
Petunia is represented by an annual plant and you need to put a lot of effort in order to enjoy its flowering every year. First of all, it is necessary to start growing seedlings and only after that it will be possible to start planting petunias in pots.
February is considered the most favorable month for growing petunia seedlings. This month is able to provide the optimum temperature and lighting for the excellent development of seedlings.
- Petunia seeds gently sprinkle evenly on wet soil and carry out spraying with a spray.
Beautiful ampelous petunia in pots and decorative pots
It is not necessary to fill the seeds with top soil. It will be enough to place a plate on them.
As for watering, everything is so simple here. He should be moderate. Drying of the soil, as well as its waterlogging is unacceptable. The presence of one of these factors can lead to the death of the plant.
Proper planting petunias in a pot
Properly chosen capacity for planting is the basis for the success of growing petunias.
What kind of pot is needed in petunias? For each grade you need to select an individual capacity.
- terry and bush petunias need a pot with a volume of 3 liters of soil per plant representative,
- as for cascade and ampelous representatives, a volume of 5 liters per plant will be appropriate here,
- There are separate varieties for which about 15 liters per plant are required.
The end result of growing a plant will directly depend on the correct choice of planting capacity. Small sprouts do not need a small container. Their growth is quite fast and such capacity will soon become very close, which can affect the development of the plant.
OUR READERS RECOMMEND!
The most effective way to lose weight, according to our readers, is "OneTwoSlim" - drops for weight loss. OneTwoSlim Slimming Drops is a new generation of means for splitting fat and eliminating excess weight without injections, surgeries and harm to health, for morning and evening use. In a short period of time you can get rid of extra pounds and remove a few centimeters in volume.
Care for potted petunias: tips
The process of growing petunias in a pot requires compliance with some rules:
- from time to time you need to get rid of the faded buds,
- get rid of the boll, so that the plant continues active flowering,
- if the flowering period becomes less active, then it's time to cut the plant.
Some facts about watering
- On hot summer days, be sure to water it daily,
- If in summer your petunia is in open space, then take care of rain protection.
Propagated petunia seeds. Individual varieties - cuttings. But the survival rate of cuttings is quite low. Therefore, every year the seeds of this annual plant have to be sown in order to obtain seedlings. Petunia seeds are one of the smallest. For ease of planting, they are sown on the surface, mixed with sand, or sown on a layer of snow.
First, the seedlings are grown in a box, and then dive into pots. The earth needs a very loose and nutritious. Seeds are planted in March and must give backlight. Germination of petunia seeds is good, but the shoots are so microscopic that with thick sowing, which is difficult to avoid, they suppress each other and often die. Therefore, it is necessary to sow petunia with a large margin, without waiting for one hundred percent seedlings.
The temperature for germination and growth of seedlings should not be below + 22 ° С. Crops must be covered with glass or plastic film and cover will be removed only when the first true leaflets appear on the shoots. Shoots need to be sprayed.
Term petunias are mainly propagated by cuttings. They are cut from the mother plants, which in the winter are kept in bright cool greenhouses. After the cuttings have taken root, they are planted in individual pots with a diameter of 9 cm for growing.
The flowering of petunias of small-flowered varieties occurs 2.5 months after seeding. Large-flowered bloom two weeks later.
When picking up seedlings of petunia, first choose pots with a diameter of 8 cm, and only then, at least two months old, are planted in pots or permanent pots. Petunia tolerates transplant very well, so do not be afraid to damage it.
Petunia treats drought easily, but if there is no moisture for a long time, it requires abundant watering. Overmoistening the soil does not like. He loves warmth and does not tolerate drafts. Petunia should be fed in pots often, every 10-14 days. Organics alternate with minerals. Mullein infusion and humic fertilizers are preferred.
The soil in the pot should be nutritious, consisting of leaf, sod land, sand and peat. A layer of expanded clay is poured at the bottom to remove excess moisture. Planted seedlings in pots, containers and pots rather closely, about 70 seedlings per 1 m².
Ampel petunias need to be watered more often, in hot weather, spray and protect from the wind. All varieties of petunia must be periodically cut by half.
Sources: http://womanadvice.ru/petuniya-v-gorshkah, http://www.pro100-cvety.ru/uxod-za-petuniej-v-gorshkax/, http://www.kakprosto.ru/kak -890621-petuniya-v-gorshkah-uhod-i-razmnozhenie-
No comments yet!
Of all the garden flowers, petunia is the most resistant and blooms constantly until frost, which is what I like. For several years we have been engaged in planting and growing this wonderful flower in our country house.
Tips for growing petunias in pots:
1. It is possible to sow a petunia, since the end of December and in two receptions, that is in the end of December and in the beginning of March. Then petunia will bloom at different times. Land for seedlings - purchased, and not from the garden.
2. After it comes up and the first real leaves appear, it must be picked, that is, seated one by one. It is possible in special containers (sold in the store), it is possible in disposable cups or small pots.
By the way, so as not to forget. Now everywhere summer heat requires a lot of water for watering the garden and flowers and therefore it is very difficult to do it manually. Therefore, it is better to buy a modern hunter watering system, for example.
3. Water the seedlings of petunias on a regular basis, in any case, do not let the ground dry out.
4. As soon as warm weather sets in in spring and there is no threat of frost, we take it out into the shade to get used to the sun and wind (set in partial shade), and after five days we start planting petunias in pots and in the ground.
5. Well, plant in the ground - this is understandable, only as far as possible the plant from the plant.
6. And the pots for planting petunias should be bought as much as possible, or buckets, basins, and large pots should be used for these purposes, since you cannot even imagine what a tremendous bush of petunias you will have in this case!
7. In each container, you need to plant only one plant.
Not tired? Then I continue to give my tips on growing petunias in pots:
Amulet petunia: how many pieces and how to plant in pots
We put petunia in pots and water plants every day, depending on the weather. Yes, after planting, it is necessary to let the plant come around and put it in the shade for several days so that the sun does not burn mercilessly on them.
9. As soon as the petunia is well accustomed, we place the pots with plants in the yard, on stands.
10. Be sure to pour into strong heat every day and, if necessary, twice a day.
11. Over time, the petunia will stretch very much and will bloom only at the ends of the branches, so you need to cut each twig by 50-70% and the petunia will start to grow and bloom even better in a week.
12. Before frosts, several pots with petunia can be brought into the house and put in the coolest place, but in the light, before making petunia, it is necessary to cut it almost to the root. From time to time it is necessary to water it, and in early spring the petunia will sprout and quickly bloom.
13. In order for the petunia itself to be sown all over the yard, it is necessary to scatter the stalks with the petunia that has already faded, in the yard, and in the spring, carefully look at those places and let the petunias grow weak. And then you will have a petunia bloom all over the yard. For example, as in the photo!
Here, perhaps, and all the tips on growing petunias in pots.
How to care for petunia
Petunias are one of the most beautiful and colorful annuals. The variety of colors, an abundance of flowers and a long flowering period make this plant the most common in garden plots. But for your petunias to please you, you need to know some of the subtleties of caring for this flower.
How to put petunia in pots and care for her?
Features of growing petunias from seeds.
All petunias belong to heat-loving plants, therefore, transplanting to the ground should be done when the threat of recurrent frosts disappears. If you have acquired large seedlings of petunia, then the plants need to be acclimatized, because most often seedlings of petunias are grown in greenhouse conditions.
Each petunia plant needs to be transplanted (handled) in a suitable container. Remember, one plant needs at least 5 liters of land, because the root system of a plant is very powerful.
If you plan to plant the seedlings of petunia immediately in open ground or hanging pot, then the plants may first trick. To prevent this from happening, prune petunias from the bright sun and protect them from the wind.
Most of all petunias love sunny and sheltered places. From soil plants prefer loose and sufficiently fertilized neutral soils. If you have a highly acidic soil, then before planting a petunia, add lime (200-300 g per square meter).
Petunias must be fed, and not only adult plants should be fed, but also seedlings. If the seedlings of petunias with a sufficient watering began to turn yellow leaves - need iron fertilization from chlorosis.
2 weeks after transplanting to a permanent place, spend the first feeding with nitrogenous fertilizers (nitroammofoska). By the beginning of the flowering of petunia plants, fertilizing with potassium phosphate fertilizers should begin. This contributes to a greater tab flowers and more lush blooming petunias. Feed the plants every 10 days.
Petunia plants grown in pots and limited capacity are regularly fed with complex fertilizers.
If you want to get a beautiful and neat petunia bush or a magnificent waterfall of ampel, then you can not do without nipping plants. Seedlings of petunias pinch after 5 leaf, carefully removing the growing point. after this procedure, the plant will suspend growth and begin to give side shoots - the bush will become more magnificent.
If the seedlings of petunias are already planted in the ground, then the pinching is carried out as soon as the plant is strong.
If you are late with a nip and the plants have outgrown, then the broken shoots can be grafted.
Upon reaching the side shoots 5-6 leaflets pinching procedure should be repeated.
In addition to pinching from the plants of petunias, it is necessary to remove wilted flowers by cutting off a little flower with a stem (so that the plant does not set seed). It turns out that the plants do not spend power on the seeds, and tie new and new flowers.
How to collect petunia seeds
Many people ask: how to collect the seeds of petunias? Firstly, it should be remembered that seeds cannot be collected from hybrid varieties (F1). Sown seeds of such plants will not be a repetition of the maternal petunia. Simply put, you will grow completely different in color and shape of flowers. Secondly, terry varieties of petunias often do not produce seeds at all.
With varietal petunias, you can get and collect seeds. For this, several flowers are left on the plants. The aging of seed boxes is slow. At first the box turns yellow, then it cracks slightly. It is necessary to collect such seed boxes at the time of cracking. Seeds from the box poured into small bags and immediately sign the variety.
Is it possible to force petunias to winter?
It turns out that petunias can winter the harsh season. To do this, the petunia plant with the onset of cold weather is brought into a cool (10-15 degrees) well-lit room. Watering is greatly reduced. In April, the plants will begin to give intensively young shoots that need to be grafted. So multiply terry and ampelous hybrid varieties of petunias.
Growing petunias in pots and hanging baskets
Petunias look very nice in hanging pots or tubs. Caring for such petunias is more difficult. They need a special composition of the soil, frequent irrigation and constant fertilizer.
The composition of the soil mix for pots and baskets with petunias includes: 1 part of sand, 2 parts of peat, 2 parts of humus and leaf (sod) soil. In pots a good drainage from gravel, broken brick or expanded clay is obligatory.
Подрезку и прищипывание петуний, посаженных в кашпо и горшки проводят в нужные сроки, не запаздывая. Ампельные сорта петуний прищипывают только ранней весной, потом подрезают только для придания кустику красивой формы.
Борьба с болезнями и вредителями петуний
У петуний почти нет вредителей, а от болезнями и грибными заболеваниями растения поражаются часто. Plants damaged by blackleg, gray or white rot need to be destroyed. Flower pots and plants themselves are treated for fungal diseases of copper-containing preparations.
Take care of your petunia beauties correctly, and they will surely thank you with a beautiful and long flowering!
Loading. Please wait…
Your personal assistant and consultant in any situation!
Petunias in pots: planting, care, transplanting
You can prepare such a wonderful soil on your own. To do this, it is enough to connect two parts of peat or rotted humus and one part of sand. If the earth is highly acidic, you can “extinguish” it with lime.
Petunia care on the balcony
Flowers in a container or pots always raise disruption and make your balcony stand out among dozens of others. However, it should be remembered that in this case, care for petunia will be somewhat different than for her relatives growing in the front garden. The thing is that quite a bit of earth is placed in such a box, so it must be very nutritious. In addition to the already mentioned peat and humus, the soil mixture from the vegetable garden must be included in the soil mixture.
We should not forget about the timely watering of petunia. If you have not watered the flower in time, you can not panic, because a short-term drought is not at all terrible for her. Much worse for the flower will be stagnant water. All summer plants need to be fed liquid fertilizer. This procedure should be carried out no more than once every two weeks.
Petunia flowers are quite tender, so they can be “injured” during heavy summer rains. If you do not want this beauty to be spoiled, if possible, hide the flowerpots with flowers under some sheds. Well, if the rain still caught you by surprise, and even pretty spoiled the look of the once-gorgeous petunia, do not despair. It costs you only to tear the flowers broken and torn by water, as in a few days new healthy buds will appear in their place.
Petunia care in a bed
Planting a flower in a flower bed, you save yourself a lot of small worries, as it is much easier to care for a petunia in this case.
The main thing to remember is:
- seedlings should be planted at a certain distance from each other (15 - 30 centimeters depending on the variety),
- it is best to plant a petunia from the edge of the flower bed, which is explained by its short stature,
- constant feeding, loosening, weeding and watering a flowering plant will prolong its “life”.
Like many other plants, petunias can be subjected to all sorts of diseases. One of these, called chlorosis, can strike petunia. This disease is caused by hard tap water. To prevent the development of chlorosis, it is necessary to add not only ordinary fertilizer to the water, but also substances containing iron. Otherwise, your bed in the middle of summer may turn completely yellow.
At first glance, it may seem difficult to care for petunia. But, as soon as you decide to do this, you will immediately realize that this is not at all the case. The main thing is to do everything with love and give all the warmth of these beautiful flowers and they will surely delight you with unusual variegated colors.
Share useful information:
Sowing Petunia Seeds
Before planting a plant in a permanent place, it is necessary to grow its seedlings. To do this, you must comply with the following conditions:
- Prepare the soil, which should be light and loose. It should be moistened and watered with a growth stimulator.
- Seeds poured on the ground without deepening. On top of them poured a small amount of earth. Seeds moistened with a spray.
- Capacity cover the top with glass or plastic film. Every day, for a short time, the seedlings are airing and, if necessary, watered.
- After five days, sprouts appear. The film or glass is opened for a long time, provide maximum illumination.
- Two weeks later, the first leaflets sprout. At this stage, 1-2 times a week, fertilizing is carried out in a liquid form, spraying them from a spray bottle.
- Growing seedlings as they grow transplanted into bulk containers.
During the first 4-5 weeks after emergence, seedlings develop slowly, they gradually build up the root system. Then begins their active growth. In tanks with a volume of 1.5-2 l, seedlings of petunias grow to its transplant to a permanent place in a pot of the proper size. Thus, by May the bush of ampelous petunia, having 15-20 buds, grows.
How many petunias plant in one pot?
As a container for growing petunias it is recommended to use pots. The pot is a special vase designed for a flowerpot. The design of the flowerpots assumes the presence of special hooks with which it is suspended.
When deciding how many petunias to plant in a pot, the following recommendation should be followed: no more than two adult plants should be planted in one container with an average size (diameter about 22 cm). This is due to the fact that an amorphous petunia is characterized by an extensive root system. If you plant in one pot more than two plants, it will interfere with their growth and proper development. Nutrients in the soil quickly consumed, and this will reduce the intensity of flowering petunias.
In addition, when deciding on how much petunias to plant in one pot, it is necessary to take into account the size of the tank and the variety of the future plant. The larger the variety, the larger the container required for it. For example, in pots with a volume of 10 liters, you can plant two pieces of Fortunia petunias. But if you are dealing with the “Typhoon” variety, then in this case you will be able to plant only one seedling in a 10-liter pots.
Following the guidelines for calculating how many petunias you can plant in one pot will help you grow a healthy plant. Creating a comfortable environment for the growth of petunias, you will enjoy its flowering throughout the season.
Features plants and popular species
The plant has drooping flexible stems, small green leaves. Flowers have the shape of a funnel. Their size and color depends on the variety, there are different shades, monophonic or variegated, simple terry and semi-double. The fruit is a box. Scientists have bred many varieties of petunias. Possible colors:
There may be various combinations of these colors.
Most varieties are hybrids. In ampelous petunias, a strong root system, this species is planted in containers, pots, crates and hanging pots. Ampelnaya petunia adorn:
- alpine slides.
Ampel varieties can be placed in flowerbeds, in which case they will form a solid carpet. Compositions of plants of different colors will decorate any territory, they are used both in garden and urban gardening.
Popular ampel varieties:
- "The Snow Queen" (hybrid).
- Diamond Pearly Shedes.
- Salmon Shedes Velvet.
- Easy Wave Red.
- "Catherine" (hybrid).
- Ramblin Neon Rose.
- "Black Velvet".
- Shock Wave.
- "Opera Suprim."
Planting and growing
Many novice growers do not know how many pieces to plant in pots. The root system of ampelous petunia is powerful, so that the flower develops well, one sprout is planted in one pot. A suitable pot volume for a single plant is 6–10 l.
You can buy flower pots in a flower shop. Usually the pot has a diameter of 20 cm and three shoots are planted in it. Planting plants is best done in separate, spacious pots, so that they can bloom and grow independently, without interfering with each other.
Seeds can be bought in the store or prepare yourself.
Growing petunia yourself is easy:
- Seeds are sown in February-March. You need to prepare the right soil - loose and light. To do this, mix 2 parts of humus, 2 parts of leafy land, 2 parts of peat, 1 part of sand. Seeds slightly deepen into the ground and cover with a film to accelerate germination. Comfortable temperature 20−22 ° C.
- Shoots appear in one to two weeks. The sprouts are sprayed with settled water at room temperature twice a day, the film is removed for a while to ensure the flow of fresh air.
- After the appearance of the first pair of leaves, the film can be removed. When a second pair of leaves appear in a seedling, it should be dived into small containers with a diameter of up to 6 cm.
- After 30 days, petunia can be planted in pots. At the bottom of the pot should be holes and a layer of drainage. The soil is prepared the same as for seedlings. In the open ground, in outdoor pots, the plant is planted after the establishment of warm weather without frost.
In the open field of petunia fit sunny place protected from drafts. Transplantation is carried out in the evening, while it is better to keep a clod of earth at the roots. You need to respect the distance between the bushes (25−30 cm). Under the bush you need to pour a layer of mulch from peat or humus, to root the plant, protect the adverse conditions of the pests and retain moisture at the roots. After transplantation, the plant is watered abundantly.
Petunia can be propagated by cutting, separating it from an adult plant, rooting in the soil, and then transplanted to a permanent place.
Like many nightshade, the green parts of the plant are poisonous. Wash hands thoroughly with soap after work.
In the summer, you need to loosen the soil around the bush and water plants in a timely manner at least 1 time a day. To make the bushes look attractive, pruning overgrown shoots is carried out, for this you need remove 2/3 of the length. To bloom was abundant and lasted the entire season, you need to remove faded buds and dried stems.
Petunia can be used to feed complex fertilizers for flowering plants. Feeding should be done once every two weeks with 5 grams of fertilizer per 10 liters of water. First you need to water the flower, and later fertilize, it is better to use liquid solutions.
Diseases and pests
With improper planting and care, the plant can get sick. At the same time problems can arise both with seedlings, and with adult plants.
Late blight, chlorosis, gray rot, aphid, spider mite, slugs - the main diseases and pests of petunias. If the plant began to wither, you need to carry out the processing of special tools that can be purchased at a flower shop. It is important to properly follow the dosage, so as not to harm the plant.
Petunia is a charming relative of potatoes
The natural habitat of petunia is located in the tropics of the South American continent, from which many vegetable (tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplants) and flower crops, united in the Solanaceae family, became common.
Currently, the culture has up to 40 different types of petunia. For the first time, the plant began to grow as an ornamental culture from the 18th century, and perennial petunias under the conditions of severe Russia became annuals.
In the colors of petunias, there are often surprising combinations of contrasting tones: blue with white, lavender with amethyst, red with light shades along the edge. Often, terry or non-terry corolla of petunias are decorated with dots, stripes, strokes and bright chaotic spots. Flowers have a light pleasant aroma, which is manifested to a greater extent in the evening and at night.
Petunia became popular immediately, the plant quickly spread through the territory of Russia, where the culture could be found in botanical gardens and manor’s estates. Often, petunia was grown in decorative flowerpots or hanging baskets - cascades of bright flowers on ampelous shoots with small leaves look very decorative when decorating garden plots, gazebos, balconies and winter gardens.
Among the petunias there are varieties with large and small flowers, with upright and ampelous shoots. Currently, breeders have deduced a lot of ampel varieties with a cascade type of flowering, which are characterized by resistance to weather conditions, an abundance of flowers and a long flowering period.
Ampel petunia: plant the plant correctly
To ensure early and abundant flowering, ampelous varieties of petunias should be planted on seedlings as early as winter time - the proper cultivation of seedlings will be described below.
Grown up seedlings are planted in the open ground with the onset of heat - petunia is a thermophilic culture. It is best to plant young plants in the evening, in cloudy weather. Seedlings are planted in a permanent place with a clod of earth covered with roots.
Pre-prepared pits for planting young seedlings of petunia (approximately 10x10 cm). Plants are planted at a distance from each other (after about 20-25 cm). If ampelous petunia has grown strongly, the distance between the bushes should be increased.
Tip! After planting, it is important to provide for the preservation of moisture in a flower bed or in a flowerpot, therefore, from above, planting is mulched with peat chips.
It is possible to plant a petunia on sunny and slightly shaded beds.
Ampel petunia: the subtleties of care
Care for ampelous petunia consists in timely watering, spraying in hot weather, making additional dressings and removing broken and discolored shoots. Pests can attack plants, and diseases can often develop under adverse conditions. We will talk about the mode of application of fertilizing and treatment of sick petunias later, and now it is important to focus on nipping the shoots.
For an ampelous plant it is very useful when the bush expands in width, forming many branching shoots. Thus, the number of flowers increases, the decorativeness of the whole plant increases.
Long shoots of ampelous petunias are often damaged by wind and precipitation, so sanitary pruning of plants should be carried out as needed - this will increase the decorativeness of hanging pots and stimulate exuberant flowering.
From petunia bushes periodically removed ensued seed boxes, which spoil the appearance of flowering bushes.
Fertilizer and fertilizing ampel petunias
So it's time to talk about the introduction of nutrients - for petunias will require complex mineral fertilizers, which are used in the period of growing seedlings before the first flowering. With the advent of the first buds, phosphate fertilizers will need to be applied, which usually coincides with the first month of summer. Towards August, the plants are fed with potash fertilizers.
Tip! Double granular superphosphate can be added to the primer. Superphosphate granules slowly dissolve, so by the beginning of flowering the plants will accumulate a sufficient amount of phosphorus, which will increase the quantity and quality of flowers.
Excellent results were noted when introducing foliar fertilizing on green foliage. Weakened and poorly developing specimens of petunias can be treated with Silk and Epin with an antistress preparation; after such treatments, the appearance of the plants is improved and the formation of new buds is stimulated.
Ampel petunias: how many pieces need to be planted in one pots to obtain a decorative cascade
It all depends on the diameter of the pots, it is this aspect that is central to the calculation of the number of seedlings needed. Be sure to consider when planting that the bushes tend to grow, and thickened planting is fraught with diseases. On a plate with a diameter of 30 cm is worth planting from 2 to 3 bushes of petunia ampelous varieties.
Useful Care Tips
Planting and caring for petunia is not difficult, but still, you must follow some rules:
- It is important to acquire quality seeds. For self-harvesting of seeds, withered, ripened buds are used; it takes 2.5 months to mature. It is not always possible to get an identical copy from the seeds of the mother plant, especially if terry varieties are used.
- In order to get flowers of a certain color, it is better to choose a specific type, mixed varieties will not give the desired result.
- You need to pick the right soil, make holes in the pot and create drainage.
- Properly plant seedlings and provide her care.
- Choose a suitable pot.
- Timely fertilize, water and prune.
- Conduct treatment from pests.
- Watering, feeding pruned, replanting the plant is best in the evening or in the morning.
- When watering should not allow water to hit the flowers and buds.
- After heavy rain and wind, flowers can lose their attractiveness and fall off. If possible, it is better to remove the plants to a safe place during bad weather.
- It is important to ensure the correct temperature and lighting.
- In winter, you can bring the flower to the apartment, but to keep the plant until spring will be difficult. You need a bright cool room with a temperature of +7 +10 ° C. Water the plant need less. Shoots are cut to 2/3 of the length.
- If you can save the flower until spring, you need to transplant it into a larger pot, cut off 2/3 of the length of the shoots again and take the plant outside when the weather is warm.
Petunia in landscape design
Planting a petunia in pots - a great design option dacha landscape. Bright flowers in hanging pots decorate the entrance area, patio, pergola, awnings, porch and other garden buildings. Placed them on recreation areas, terraces. Даже простая посадка петунии ровными рядами вдоль садовой дорожки, прекрасно украсит ее.
Можно оборудовать клумбу на фоне газона, разбить альпийскую горку и украсить камни каскадом из цветов. Присутствие петунии в цветочных композициях делает их поистине привлекательными. Разнообразные оттенки цветка украсят и другие ландшафтные композиции: миксбордеры, рокарии. The lawn looks original, on which are placed the flowerpots with beautiful garlands hanging down to the ground.
Two options for creating mini-flower gardens in the garden:
- Petunia and lobelia. The prepared pot (of a large volume, preferably a rectangular shape) is half filled up with soil, place two petunia bushes in it. Next, cover the ground almost to the top. Between the bushes of petunia plant an ampel lobelia, which has a very superficial root system. It will not interfere with the growth of petunias.
- Basket letnikov. Take bulk basket, cover the bottom of a dense polyethylene. Make small holes in it for the outflow of water. Cover the basket with soil. On the one hand, plant a bush of petunia, on the other - beautiful Letniki (pelargonium, ageratum, verbena, calendula, marigold). Petunia looks beautiful with a white fragrant alissum, which is best prepared by seedling. In a composition with petunia, it is sufficient to place 2−3 alissums.
Petunias are a wonderful decoration of the garden plot. This flower will be a bright accent in any design of landscape design.
To begin with, by nature, the plant is perennial. And if you have a rare variety grown from seeds, you can transplant it into a pot for the winter. Without additional illumination, it is unlikely that it will please you in the winter with flowers, but in the spring there will be cuttings in place that can be planted. In this case, the number of copies per pot is definitely one. Winter is a difficult time, the plants should have enough space and light.
If you plant ordinary flowers, there may be three or four copies per pot. They grow well and will perfectly decorate your garden. Just do not forget to feed, petunia is responsive to fertilizer, especially potash and phosphate. On the ninth day of planting, seedlings are fertilized with a nitroammofosca (1 tablespoon per bucket of water) in order for the plant to increase its green mass. More nitrogen is not used, otherwise the plant will go into the greens, and the flowering will be bad. Further fertilizers for petunia in pots will alternate from superphosphates and potassium salts.
The proportion is the same: a tablespoon to a bucket of water once every ten days. Ordinary petunias will create a beautiful hat that will slightly hang over the edges of the pot. Do not forget to pinch the ends of the stems and remove the flowering shoots. All this will contribute to the growth and the formation of lush ornamental shrubs.
If you want the flowers to hang from pots with beautiful lashes, then you need to buy an ampel petunia in this case. It is more capricious, but its whips grow to 120 cm. How many petunias can be planted in a pot of this variety? We assume that a minimum of 5 liters of soil is required per plant. Since such a plant requires more intensive nutrition.
About watering I can say this: it is better to dry out than to fill. Petunia quite drought-resistant plant. If you pour the roots, it can die or get sick. Therefore, there must be drainage holes in pots in case of rain.