Cottage, country house, rural ownership - everywhere there are buildings that are not pleasing to the eye. The quickly growing decorative creeper of the girlish grapes will help to drape the old barn, decorate the veranda and the facade with greenery. Planting and caring for the plant is simple and the decoration effect is exceptional.
Meet the girl's grapes
Decorative vine from the family of grapes can create any composition. Its vines stretch up to 20 meters, and the annual increase of 2-3 meters. Rough tenacious antennae find any unevenness and attract escape close to the support. On the vertical stone, wooden surfaces the liana rises independently, as seen in the photo. Girlish grapes grow over the years and cover the wall with a carpet of very beautiful leaves with five lobes extending on long petioles.
Bright green, never sick leaves create a carpet on any plane. In the fall, this landscape becomes purple and remains so until late autumn leaves the foliage. On the branches there are small blue berries resembling grapes, but they are inedible. They can stay in the winter, as a treat for the birds.
The homeland of this amazing plant is North America, East Asia. Use to decorate his steel in 1622. In culture, there are five-leafed grapes and its ivy-shaped form. The use of girlish grapes in landscape design can be recommended for many reasons:
- winter-hardy culture, does not require shelter for the winter,
- the plant does not get sick and does not become food for pests
- grapes is undemanding to the soil and location,
- decorative and growing fast
- breeds easily.
Who can be left indifferent to a picture of girlish grapes in landscape design, the photo was taken 4 years after planting the cuttings.
Use the plant to create a hedge on the grid chain-link. With the help of fast-growing creepers cover arbors. Of great importance is the constant decorativeness of the plant. It does not need to be treated against pests, and therefore violate the environment. His twigs safely tolerate any frost, and in the spring the created composition comes to life and pleases the young with fresh greens. Caring for a plant is a regular pruning, after which the leaves become larger, the carpet is denser. Fairy-tale characters live in parks, if the artist’s skilled hand was able to create a frame for the plant. The photo of the girlish grapes in the landscape design in this picture is unlikely to leave the gardener indifferent.
Girlish grapes do not need a special support. All he needs is the roughness of the walls and the ability to create a hold. Liana clings to adventitious roots, is corneal.
Propagation of girlish grapes
Choosing a landing site is easy. Liana will grow to any degree of shading. But if girlish grapes grow on the north side, then there will be no autumn purple leaf. In autumn, the leaf will remain green until dropped. The liana grows better on the lit place. When planting a plant, one should know that appending roots attach to the surface so firmly that it is impossible to tear off a branch without causing injury to it.
It reproduces girlish pyatilistochkovyh grapes easily. Several methods are used, each of which has its own characteristics:
From the breeding experience, the fastest with a good survival rate in the summer can be propagated with a whip that you borrow from your neighbors. A lash laid with a poured shallow groove in the ground with a raised top is sure to take root. There are other ways of laying to form waves, with one kidney to be in the ground, one on the surface. Rooting in several places with layering will turn out. However, getting a live seedling directly from the bush will happen even faster. To do this, lay two years of cuttings in the ground, strengthen it there, and before rooting, it will feed on the mother plant.
During the rooting of the green vine land should be wet. It will not be out of place to cover the soil from drying out with geotextiles so that the air exchange on the surface of the hole is not disturbed.
Reproduction of girlish grapes by cuttings is possible immediately, with freshly cut pencil-thick material. At the same time on the scape should be 5 buds, three of which deepen. Constantly damp earth and covering the top from the rays of the sun will ensure 100% survival of the plant. Growing vines from cuttings can be conducted at any time during the warm season. If you can not get planting material, it can be purchased.
Unpretentious plants quickly take root and start to grow. However, for rooting a weak plant at first, you need to create good conditions:
- one week before planting, dig up the soil and remove weeds,
- dig a hole 50 cm deep, create drainage, a sand pillow on top,
- the top layer of fertile soil should be from garden soil, compost with the addition of sand.
The main pruning with formation is done after cessation of sap flow in autumn or early spring on a sleeping bush. Pruning is done on the kidney, leaving a stump no more than 0.5 cm, so that the knots do not violate the decorative effect.
Propagation of vines by seeds is almost not used. Seeds must undergo stratification within one and a half months at a temperature of 5 0. Shoots appear in a month. Seeds remain viable for only one year. Autumn sowing is also possible. But in this case, the seeds will germinate in a year.
Moments to consider when breeding maiden grapes
You can not put the vine where you want to cover the dilapidated building. The fast growing plant weighs down the structure and it may fall. If the wall is plastered, the plant can tear out a piece and fall along with it. Therefore, the wall must be monolithic, brick, concrete or wood. Well, when the support frame. The grid chain-link, fittings perfectly approaches.
If the plant is planned to be put on the roof, then it should not be tiled or slate - the vine will break or lower the sheets. The twigs will braid all the irregularities that will meet on the way, whether it is an antenna or a chimney. Therefore, the formation of the crown will allow the object to give a neat appearance and prevent the plant in the forbidden parts of the structure.
Creating beauty with the participation of various ornamental plants, the gardener receives not only pride in his well-kept garden and artistic taste. Girlish grapes have the ability to kill some fungi and bacteria. The microclimate in the house twined with lianas will become more pleasant, since the heating of the room is regulated in the summer. Liana becomes a barrier in front of the sun and it is cool in the house on a hot afternoon.
The statement that the facade of the house under the cover of greenery is not aired is not confirmed. Leaves protect walls from oblique rain. But we should not forget about the roots of the suckers, which take moisture. Therefore, the use of girlish grapes for decorating the estate complete with other plants will create a unique look.
The ability of lianas to tolerate winter conditions without additional shelter is attractive. In especially frosty regions, experts advise the first years to warm the young plants a little, covering them with a protective film.
Use in landscape design
The culture in vertical gardening of open spaces is especially appreciated, it is an excellent natural architect. Specialists give priority to the design of cottage plots, house territories and various single objects exactly the girl's grapes. The main value of the plant lies in its excellent opportunities to create a unique appearance of the space almost without much financial expenditure - you just need to buy benign planting material. Moreover, it is unlikely that among the plants there will be another crop, equal in quantity to the merits of the maiden grapes.
The decorative liana perfectly proved in several positions:
- Refinement of the appearance of buildings, up to the full coverage of the walls with a carpet of leaves,
- Creation of a continuous leafy cover on the fences of the grid - chain-link in the short term, saving the landlord from having to install a fence made of building materials,
The ability to create colorful arbors of volume, original canopies in the decorated area,
- The impressive design of the entrance group on the localities,
- Creating leafy sculptures of small architectural forms in open urban cultural spaces,
- The ability to create a unique look of alpine slides, especially popular in modern landscape compositions.
If there is a desire to create a unique individual style on the site, combining the luxury of colors and variety of forms - there is no better culture than girlish grapes.
Compatibility with other plants
In landscape design, the most successful use of culture is to combine it with vines of other species. Girlish grapes are perfectly adjacent to hops: monotonous green hops when decorating a large area does not look very impressive, but the golden variety “Aureus” is successfully shaded by rich green girlish grapes. If it is necessary to emphasize any part of the landscape, it is difficult to choose a more noble combination of plants. However, the most advantageous will be the design of a large or medium section in an open garden space, for balconies or loggias, this combination is considered by experts to be insufficiently expressive.
The landscape design looks great with a combination of maiden grapes with a clematis liana (two varieties are especially good - grape and mountain). Both plants are similar in resistance to cold weather (clematis is able to maintain flowering even during night frosts) and lack of soil tolerance. Experienced gardeners note that in the company of a girl's grape the vine is feeling better than when growing a single grape.
Coniferous trees are perfectly combined with culture: during the flowering of wild grapes, conifers will “play the king’s suite”, but in winter, when girlish grapes cast off their luxurious attire, junipers, tui, spruce trees appear in all their glory.
Girlish grapes and his hidden talents
All types and varieties of girlish grapes are used as large and powerful vines. With their help, you can effectively drape the surface of any area. The girlish grape creates a thick, seemingly ornamental and almost tiled covering due to the peculiar arrangement of the leaves and independent regulation of the uniform distribution of the light coming to them.
Dazzling bright orange or scarlet autumn color, the beauty and pomp of the crown, the ease and reliability of self-attachment of the plant do not know the competitors among the vines. In all types of girlish grapes, antennae densely branch and cling so tightly to even flat walls that the plant is not threatened even by its own considerable weight at a respectable age.
Girlish grapes are not afraid of pollution, smoke, even any of the most difficult conditions, while maintaining a light gloss of attractive foliage. It is perfect for spectacular gardening of walls, even sheer, any powerful and high supports, decorating the dark, empty sides of buildings and gigantic fences, creating the so-called continuous landscaping and thick even coating.
The girlish grape is able to form surprisingly beautiful green tunnels, turn pergolas into luxurious objects, decorate old trees, gazebos and pavilions. And even these functions do not exhaust the possibilities of its use in landscape design.
The girlish grape is very good as a groundcover crawling plant. It can be used to create amazingly beautiful and lush, dense carpets in those areas where it is impossible to break up grassy lawns or glades of grassy ground covers. He is not afraid of dry open spaces and stony slopes, grows well even in the poorest soils, does not lose the ability to effectively plant the soil even in the thickest shade and at the same time retains all the advantages of greenery in the horizontal plane.
As a ground cover plant, girlish grapes can be grown from cuttings, thick carpet will be created by seedlings located at intervals of about 1 meter, and to speed up the process, seedlings can be positioned twice closer. Decorative and elegant carpet of girlish grapes will create amazingly fast, without requiring virtually any maintenance.
Weeds do not grow and do not spread under grapes; it does not prevent large shrubs and woody trees from growing and developing, which makes it one of the most promising crops for planting large areas and areas with difficult conditions.
We should not forget the purely practical virtues of girlish grapes. Through the use of this plant in landscaping, you can achieve much greater efficiency from thermal insulation, protect buildings and garden pavilions with gazebos from wind and rain, because the canopy of the leaves of the girl’s grapes is really amazingly dense and keeps the structures for a long time from the damaging effects of the environment.
Gardening of the maiden grapes allows in the summer even on the hottest day to enjoy the coolness inside the room or gazebos, in the winter - to make the heating system as efficient as possible, and the heat loss to be minimal.
Simple rules for controlling girlish grapes
The notorious aggressiveness of a girl's grape manifests itself only when the plant is given full will and does not even care about the elementary control of its development or care for decades. False grapes, with careful monitoring of its spread and timely containment, will never creep uncontrollably into the garden, damage wall or roofing materials, create shade, dampness and twine everything around.
Simple controlling pruning is all that is needed for this plant. If you see that the grapes are developing too actively or their shoots begin to creep into areas where they are not needed, simply cut off the excess and shorten the vines. The more the girlish grapes are cut, the more its foliage thickens, the ornamental crown pattern and leaf color is revealed and the easier it is to cope with its tendency to grow quickly.
But this is not all simple tricks that will help contain the aggressiveness of the girl's grapes and avoid unwanted seizure of the territory. Having achieved dramatic surface draping and the desired effect, it is enough to exclude watering and top dressing from the grape care system completely - and its growth will not stop, but it will slow down significantly. The plant will look good and fresh, but will cease to actively increase the height and volume.
Girlish grapes ‘Star showers monham’. © julie weisenhorn
Selection of conditions for powerful vines
For a girl's grape to develop and grow successfully, it does not even need to carefully select certain parameters of lighting or soil. This is one of the most unpretentious and hardy garden plants. The girlish grape is able to adapt to almost any conditions, survives even where there is no fertile soil or if it grows in a limited amount of it.
It can be planted both in the most lighted areas of the garden, suitable for light-loving crops, on the southern side of the buildings, and in fairly thick shade. These are shade-tolerant, but not shade-loving lianas, and under the dense crowns of trees or on the north side of buildings it is better to plant it only when the plant is illuminated by the sun for at least a few hours a day. The highest efficiency of all types and varieties of maiden grapes in the penumbra reach very different intensity from deep to scattered.
As for the soil, any of its disadvantages, from poor handling and compaction to poor nutrient content or excessive lime and acidity, can be compensated for during planting. Girlish grapes can grow literally in any soil, even dry, but when planting plants, you must follow some rules of elementary agricultural practices. The advantages of maiden grapes are ranked and the ability to endure a transplant at any age.
Rules for planting maiden grapes
Planting is essentially the only difficult component of growing this vine. Girlish grapes can be planted in the spring, as in the middle of autumn.
Saplings of maiden grapes should be located 1 m from buildings or supports, along which they will have to rise and at a distance of about 1 m from other large plants.
Before planting it is better to dig the soil for future cultivation together. For the girl's grapes harvested large planting pits, similar to woody plants. The optimal size of the landing hole is about 60 cm in depth and width. A powerful drainage layer about 20 cm high is necessarily laid on the bottom, using fragments of broken brick, crushed stone and sand to create the best possible water permeability.
Всю вынутую из посадочной лунки землю необходимо улучшить: полностью заменить на готовую почвосмесь или просто примешать торф, компост и песок. Оптимальной для девичьего винограда считается землесмесь, состоящая из равных частей торфа, компоста и листовой земли с добавлением половинной доли песка.
In order for the girl's grapes to successfully take root and begin to grow rapidly, it is sufficient to correctly set the seedlings in the planting pit. The root neck of young plants should be located exactly at the level of the soil. It can not be buried or raised above the ground line. After planting, it is necessary to immediately carry out charging irrigation, using up to 2 buckets of water for each plant.
In the first year after planting, especially if the saplings obtained by cutting are used, it is better to provide the plants with minimal care. The girlish grapes will gratefully respond to the mulching of the soil about 6 cm in height, which will completely abandon weeding and loosening, and on irrigation with additional dressings.
Elementary care for girlish grapes
This plant practically does not need any additional procedures. More intensive care will be needed only for young plants, and even then, if you want to achieve the fastest possible upholstery of the wall or structure in the shortest possible time.
In order to stimulate the active growth of girlish grapes, two dressings per year can be made for plants. In the spring or in June, about 40-50 g of any complete mineral fertilizer is applied for it, and approximately one month or two after the first top-dressing, organic matter is used or the mineral top-dressing is repeated. But fertilizers are applied only for those girlish grapes, in which they want to stimulate active growth of height and size.
Watering this vine as such is not needed. But a prolonged drought can provoke an actual cessation of growth, therefore, in a dry and hot summer, the plant is watered 3-4 times in the morning or in the evening, providing compensation for adverse weather conditions. For girlish grapes use 1-2 buckets of water for each liana. If you restrain the growth of the Spiderman, then watering can also be excluded from the care.
At least once a year, try to break through the soil, remove large weeds or carry out mulching, which prevents their development in the tree trunks.
The girlish grape is prone to a gradual elevation in the soil and the exposure of the rhizome. If you notice that the roots of the plant begin to protrude above the ground, be sure to sprinkle on fresh soil and slightly tuft the vine. Usually this procedure is carried out in the autumn, as part of preparing the garden for the winter.
Pruning as such, maiden grapes are not needed, except for the removal of dry and damaged shoots and situations when it is necessary to restrain the vine and not let it go beyond the allotted area. Elementary cutting of some branches or shortening unnecessary ones will allow you to effectively control plant growth.
Virgin grape is completely resistant to diseases and pests. It is easy to make your way to rodent buildings through its whips, but elementary measures at the base of the vines in the form of traps and baits make it easy to solve this problem.
Wintering maiden grapes
In the conditions of regions with severe winters, the only fully winter-hardy species is virgin virgin grape, better known as five-leafed. Although Henry's grapes, tri-pointed, Thompson, the leaves are even more decorative and they are also very good both as creepers and as a ground cover, they will need shelter and removal from supports for the winter.
In the first year after planting, it is better to cover all the maiden grapes with dry leaves and spruce branches, and in the future, the five-leaflet will not need any protection.
Planting in the garden
Where and how to plant girlish grapes. This plant can be propagated in several ways, but if you like experiments and you have enough free time, you should try growing with seeds. Sowing can be done all year round. Before summer or spring sowing, seed stratification should be carried out - for this, they are first kept in water (cold) for swelling, and then a special container is put (suitable for food plastic) with wet sand, after which it is all placed in a vegetable box in the refrigerator for a couple of months . The temperature of the content should be within 5 ° C.
Planting decorative grapes for the winter or in cold regions, for example, in Siberia - also has a place to be. First, they should also be kept in cold water for 3-4 days for swelling. It is not necessary to stratify them, since they will be subjected to a natural stratification for the winter months spent in the soil, after which they will ascend together by next spring. Planting of five-leaf grapes can be done at any time of the year, the main thing is to pre-soak the seeds in cold water.
It doesn’t matter to this plant where to grow, however decoration will directly depend on the degree of illumination: the leaves are always brighter in the sun than in the shade. Growing vines will also go faster in the sunny area. In places where a cold wind is constantly blowing in the fall, girlish grapes grow poorly. You should not plant the plant near sewage or water pipes or near electrical wires. It is best to choose a place that is located near the shed or arbor, wooden or concrete fence, near the plastered brick wall.
How to make a landing? It has already been mentioned that the vine grows well on any cultivated soil, but loamy soils with slightly acidic, slightly alkaline or neutral pH remain the best soil for the plant. Planting of seeds is carried out in a loosened soil 1 cm deep, after which the seedling is sealed and watered.
Care for girlish grapes
Taking care of this grape variety comes down to a great deal to removing weeds, pruning lashes, and rare watering in dry weather, but in order for the plant to be in the best shape, it should be given a little more time.
For young plants, it is necessary to establish a support until they have acquired tenacious tendrils capable of supporting the vine on some rough surface. Caring for grapes also includes timely watering: 10 liters of water for each plant 3-4 times per season. Watering should be carried out only in the case when the top layer of soil under the bush is already dry.
In early summer, for better plant care, you should add the Nitroammofoska to the water for irrigation, and closer to the high season, feed the grapes using complex mineral fertilizer.
An excellent effect is the mulching of a circle near the trunk with a layer of humus, compost or peat 6 cm thick. In the autumn, mulch should be placed in the soil, and then a new one should be poured on top.
You already know about the reproduction of girlish grapes with the help of planting seeds, however, the most simple and affordable way to propagate a plant is cutting. How to propagate the vine cuttings? After the plant has been trimmed, there are stretches of shoots and lashes that can be used as cuttings. It is easiest to root lignified cuttings, which are not less than a pencil's thickness and on which there are at least 3 healthy buds.
Cutting of girlish grapes, like sowing, can be done all year round, but spring remains the predominant season.
- We take a suitable branch and cut it into cuttings 25-30 cm long so that each of them has the necessary number of buds.
- We dig holes 7–10 cm deep in the prepared area with a distance of 1.5–2 m between them.
- We place the cuttings so that there are at least two buds under the ground.
- We fill holes, compact the surface and water the planting.
Saplings in hot summer should be watered regularly, especially if you want to use grapes in landscape design. Watering should be carried out until they begin to actively grow. Do not forget to protect the plant from direct sunlight in the first months of life.
Grape reproduction by layering
We spread on the ground whip lianas, attaching it with hooks or pins and sprinkle with fertile soil in those places where there are buds on the whip. We water branches. Over time, young roots will emerge from the kidneys. If the lash was short, it should be completely laid in the dug groove, leaving only the tip on the surface, which should be raised by 15-20 cm. The lash laid in the furrow is covered with earth and watered regularly, and after rooting and release of the first shoots, the lash must be separated from maternal bush.
Reproduction of grapes root suckers
This method is also quite convenient: we remove the root offsprings from the soil and plant them in a new place where the seedlings need to be grown for a year or two, providing them with proper care. The root neck during transplantation should be at the same level as it was. Once the seedlings are stronger, they must be transplanted to a permanent place.
Sometimes there is a need to transplant a bush of girlish grapes to a new, more suitable place. The sooner such a need arose, the easier it will be to undergo the procedure of transplanting a bush, although there are known cases when a five-year or even more mature plant has been successfully transplanted to a new “place of residence”.
Prepare in advance pit for creepers approximately of such size that the whole root system together with the earthy clod fits in it. However, the depth should be a little more, since drainage (crushed ceramic tiles, crushed stone or broken brick) about 15 cm thick will be poured at the bottom. We pour a layer of sand 12 cm above the drainage and then fill the hole approximately to the middle with a mixture of humus, hardwood and sand in a ratio of 2: 2: 1.
After a couple of weeks, when the soil is compacted and settled in the pit, we cut off the grape whips so that it can be repotted as easily as possible. We dig up a bush and shift it onto a piece of oilcloth or thick fabric, after which we drag the plant to a new pit. If you fail to save all the roots of the grapes - it does not matter, because if the plant has a new place to its liking, it will restore everything very quickly.
We lower the earthen room together with the roots into the pit and fill the rest of the space with the prepared soil mixture. The root collar of the transplanted bush should remain at ground level. Shrub after transplanting should be thoroughly watered.b, then, if necessary, add a little more ground and compact the surface. If you have doubts about whether the liana will take root in a new place, add a little root former, for example, Kornevin or Epin, before planting in the pit.
The first couple of years after planting or sowing the grapes have an unattractive appearance, but when the shoots begin to actively develop, it is very important to form the skeleton of the plant so that the vines grow in the right direction and at the correct distance from each other, forming a reasonable thickness and a certain form. Formation of the crown is usually carried out with a garden pruner. You should not delay the beginning of pruning and try to prevent the shoots from lignification. While the stems are still green, send them where you need and fix them on a support. Feel free to remove excess shoots, while making a cut over a young and healthy kidney.
Once the plant's skeletal branches are formed, you will only have to clean the bush in the spring and limit the growth of the shoots - you can not allow them to grow, otherwise the grapes will turn into messy lush thickets. The hedge from decorative grapes needs special care and maintenance of a good shape.
Diseases and pests
Neither pests nor diseases show an interest in girlish grapes, however, the plant with the wrong care may be affected by rot, which you will signal the appearance of the leaves. Patients shoots and leaves should be removed without regret, it is recommended to stop watering for some time, and the plant must be treated with a solution of a fungicide, for example, phytosporin.
If any pest is found on the maiden grapes, it should immediately be treated with an insecticide. What exact preparation should be used depends on the type of pest that affected your plant, however, such means as Aktara and Vertimek are universal and can save grapes from almost any insect.
Grapes, called "maiden", is a fairly popular variety in Russia, suitable for planting in the summer cottage. The plant is a liana, abundantly covered with wide leaves, the length of which can reach 30 meters. Homeland maiden grapes - North America and Asia. In the 17th century it was used to decorate parks, statues and houses. Elements of landscape design, covered with grapes, create a unique atmosphere in space. With him, even an asphalt plot with many buildings will look comfortable and allow you to feel closer to nature.
The plant is suitable for almost all regions of the Russian Federation and CIS countries. It is often used for the decoration of summer cottages - thanks to the tenacious tendril, the grapes are attached to any uneven surface and attracts escape to it. Thus, the vine is able to climb on its own, even on vertical surfaces. The massive wiry leaves of the maiden grape make it a convenient plant for use in landscape design.
As for fruits, these are dark grapes with stones that have an unpleasant taste and are not eaten, although they have found widespread use in traditional medicine.
The features of the maiden grape allow you to use this plant for the following purposes:
- Drapery walls of residential buildings - This is one of the main functions of the vine. Carved leaves, evenly covering the wall, create an ornamental pattern that resembles shingles. It looks stylish from afar and up close. In addition, it is precisely because of the grape-covering of the facade of the house that you can very organically fit the building into the surrounding landscape - so your summer cottage will become an organic part of the nature around you, and you will be able to completely abstract from the city fuss. Finally, old buildings are often covered with grapes, so the need for redecoration is immediately eliminated. The building will look great for much less money.
- Grapes can braid the fence. Almost every modern dacha is fenced with a high fence - this is a safety requirement in the modern world. However, often the fence, especially plastic or metal, spoils the appearance of the site. If you want to organically enter the fence into the green territory, it is definitely worth covering it with grapevine - so your cottage will become much more comfortable.
- Gazebo, terrace, swing or country kitchen also worth trying to arrange with the help of the girl's grapes. It is relevant for any occasion and any artificial structure with it will organically fit into the surrounding nature. Not only concrete walls covered with grapes can look very nice, but also special walls and ceilings made of grates woven over with vines. You will certainly be pleased to relax in nature in the shade of lush leaves.
- Often grapes cover the ground using it. as a carpet instead of a green lawn. This plant looks great and feels on the ground and will help you out in any situation.
- Looks very interesting cottage roofsdecorated with grapevine. Girlish grapes easily and quickly twist around the roof, allowing you to create a unique, original and cozy appearance of the building.
- If your site is arches, tunnels or columns, they can also be very well decorated with grapes. Both monolithic objects entwined at the top and the options from the grid, which with the grapes will be green on all sides, will look good.
Even if such large decorative objects are not planned on your site, you probably made partitions between flowerbeds or small barriers for paths - you can also use girlish grapes when designing them.
Advantages and disadvantages
The girlish grape is almost the most popular plant for the decoration of buildings on the site, along with ivy. It is no coincidence - it has many advantages that contribute to the convenience of working with it and the excellent appearance of the decorated objects. Landscape designers and owners of suburban areas highlight the following advantages:
- The maiden grape is a very unpretentious plant. It feels fine even in difficult conditions: dust, smoke and changeable weather are not a hindrance for its growth, it will always please you with thick glossy foliage, if you follow the simplest rules for planting and care. Unfortunately, now not everyone has the opportunity to travel to nature for hundreds of kilometers from the city, but even if your country house is near civilization, the vine of the girlish grapes will also grow actively and please you with greenery.
- The grapes grow well even on poor soil; they can cover dry or stony ground on which the lawn cannot be broken. Lush dense green grapes will delight you in the shade and in the sun. Если на вашем участке есть проблемные территории, не торопитесь покрывать их асфальтом: приятный зеленый и неприхотливый ковер из винограда станет идеальным решением для тех, кто хочет быть ближе к природе, несмотря на трудные условия.
- Девичий виноград сравнительно быстро растет: можно ожидать роста лозы примерно на 3 метра в год. If you use multiple plants, they will cover the surface extremely quickly.
- Grapes protect the walls of the house from rain, overheating and dampness. Indeed, the facade, covered with a plant, is preserved in its original state much longer, less often subject to cracks and fungus appearances. In addition, it will be much more comfortable to stay in a building in the hot summer or, on the contrary, in cool windy weather, because the dense foliage smoothes the negative environmental conditions.
- Grapes are not subject to diseases and pests do not appear on it.
- Grapes - this is a noble plant that will fit into the design in any style. Vine with wide leaves will look equally organic in combination with classical sculptures and columns, and with a modern building decorated with siding, and with a simple wooden private house. The plant is absolutely universal and perfectly complement different types of buildings. Moreover, if you have objects made in different styles on the site, and you do not know how to combine them, the grapes will help you out too - a light weaving in the vine will allow you to enter all the buildings in the territory into a single ensemble.
- “Girlish” grapes will delight you with beautiful leaves for almost half a year: from June to September in central Russia the foliage remains thick and lush. In the summer it is green, and in the fall it turns red and yellow, becoming especially beautiful.
- “Girlish” grapes have high winter hardiness and are not afraid of frost, provided proper care.
With all the obvious advantages of the “Maiden” one should pay attention to a number of significant drawbacks that are important to keep in mind:
- The grapes begin to turn green much later than other plants. In central Russia in May, trees and lawns are already green, and grapes until the beginning of summer are only bare shoots.
- It is necessary to monitor the growth of the vine - since the vines develop very quickly, at some point they can simply destroy the building with their weight. To avoid this, all the vines in the area should be closely monitored and cut them in time. If you are going to generously plant a country house with grapes, it is worth making calculations, on the basis of which you will understand how much the building will bear.
- Sometimes overgrown branches of grapes can clog important technical systems - for example, very often the vine penetrates the water supply. Periodically it is necessary to check the drain pipes if they are open and are located near the grapes.
- The root system of grapes is very large and branched. In addition, it is very resistant to any adverse conditions, so it easily displaces more capricious cultivated plants from the ground. You should not plant a vine in close proximity to flowers, ornamental shrubs, fruits and vegetables.
Even if, when planting grapes, it gets along well with neighboring plants, as it grows quickly, problems may arise.
In the decorative planting is used most often two varieties of "Girlish" grapes - pyatilistochkuyu and triostrachny. All these are wild grapes, which are not suitable for food or winemaking, but perfectly decorate the landscape. They are both unpretentious, do well with different weather conditions, grow quickly and look beautiful on the site. However, there are many differences between them.
Most often under the "maiden" grapes imply virginski variety, originally grown in America. It is a climbing wild variety that spreads easily throughout the area. His leaf can be divided into five small leaves, which have an oblong shape and resemble chestnut leaves.
Foliage appears in June and has a rich green color, massive veins and a glossy texture, and by the autumn the leaves turn red. In mid-summer, the grapes are covered with small white inflorescences, and then with inedible dark fruits. This variety tolerates winter well.
There is also ivy-shaped grapes, the leaves of which are divided into three parts and really very much resemble ivy. This option is most common in eastern countries - in particular, in landscape design it is used in Korea, China and Japan. This variety is divided into three types:
- Grapes "Wich" has small monochromatic leaves with a dark green tint, and in autumn they acquire a bright orange color.
- "Golden Liana" - This is the second type. It was so named for the unusual color of the leaves: they are characterized by a light shade of green and small yellow spots covering the entire leaf.
- "Purple" the grapes look very beautiful and allows you to significantly diversify the design of the site. Its leaves even in summer have a dark burgundy shade. Very interesting, it looks in combination with other types of grapes.
Girlish grapes "Wicha" is more common in Russia among ivy-shaped types with a triple leaf. This grape is distinguished by particularly rapid growth - if the soil is rich and the temperature and lighting conditions are favorable for the plant, it grows up to 4 meters in a year. In addition, it is this variety that has a special endurance - “Wicha” grapes can feel great even on the sidelines of highways.
In fact, the main difference between the tri-pointed and pyatilistochkovogo grapes lies in their crown. Wide and large leaves with five parts evenly cover the surface in one or several layers depending on the length of plants and their number. The vine, resembling ivy, has a different shape of leaves, so that as they move upward, they overlap each other, forming a particularly lush and dense crown.
The reproduction of girlish grapes is a fairly simple process, even a beginner - an amateur can do it. To get a young seedling, there are several ways:
- Seed propagation, allowing to obtain a plant from the collected or acquired seeds without fear of losing the specific properties. The disadvantage of this method is quite a long waiting period before receiving an adult plant (at least 3 years).
- Cutting a girl's grape, like any other shrub, requires certain skills, but is not particularly laborious and gives very good results. It is carried out at the beginning of summer by semi-woody cuttings in a cold greenhouse or immediately to the place, under a moisture-saving cap (a plastic bottle without bottom).
- Reproduction by layering is the easiest and most reliable way to get at the same time a large amount of planting material. To do this, the vine from the parent plant is placed in a shallow groove (1-10 cm) and sprinkled with earth along its entire length. On the surface they leave the top of the vine with leaves to support life. A year later, the motherboard is separated from the main bush. Separate young plants with a well-formed root system are formed from each internode.
Care for girlish grapes is simple, mainly in pruning: rejuvenating, sanitary and formative. At the age of more than 5 years old in the fall, after the leaf has disappeared, old vines are cut out annually, which serves as a stimulation for the spring intensive growth of young shoots. For the recovery of vines carry out the removal of all broken and damaged branches. Formative pruning is necessary in cases where the plant is used in a confined space — on a pergola, garden arch, or topiary. If the girl's grape performs a decorating function and climbs freely on the walls, there is no need for forming pruning.
Watering partenocissus prefers rare, but plentiful. It tolerates drought and sharp fluctuations in temperature.
Feed the liana 2-3 times during the season. The first dressing - nitrogen-containing fertilizers, the rest is carried out by complexes.
Maiden grapes overwinter without shelter, does not need any additional techniques. It can be damaged by ice rain, with prolonged exposure to too low temperatures (below 35 degrees), but it recovers quickly in spring. The root system is powerful, lying deep in the soil, allows the plant to withstand any extreme conditions. Pests and diseases of parthenocirsus are not damaged.
It will be useful to read:
Decoration of any garden
Girl grapes in landscape design (photo) play the role of the first violin among the decorators. Surrounded by pillars and pillars, covering the walls with fancy patterns of dark green malachite leaves, in the autumn burning purpura with all shades, creating continuous natural curtains on the windows and terraces, parthenocirsus takes its leading positions.
The hedge of maiden grapes is the most common design element in the climatic conditions of the middle lane. To create it, it is enough to organize any, the most unpretentious and unpresentable support, which during the season will turn into an elegant rich green wall, impenetrable for other people's views. The only condition for creating a support is its strength, since the mass of an adult liana is quite large. The hedge of maiden grapes organically fits into the landscape of the garden of any style.
The most common in landscaping is parthenocysus pyatilotochkovy, known for its unpretentiousness and vitality. No less resistant to any external influences is the tria-sharp girl grape Vicha, the so-called Boston ivy, which has a smaller, glossy leathery three-toed leaf and creates impenetrable green veils painted in bright red-orange tones in autumn.
The girlish grapes in landscape design are used not only for vertical gardening of plots, but also as a ground cover plant, with the strengthening of rocky slopes and talus, gardening of unsightly areas in the zone of strong shading. In addition, for urban conditions it is possible to use it as an ampelous tub culture on loggias and balconies, as well as in large stone flowerpots for landscaping parks.
The maiden grapes are surprisingly decorative throughout the season, unpretentious, winter-hardy and therefore deserve the closest attention of gardeners and landscape designers.
Modern breeders have made sure that wild ornamental grapes are distinguished by maximum endurance in any environmental conditions. Vines do not need to be removed for the winter due to the good winter hardiness of this plant. Any soil is also suitable for him - even dry and stony ground allows the “Girl’s” grape to feel great, as evidenced by its wide distribution in the Caucasus and in the seaside resorts of Russia.
It is desirable to provide good light to the grapes so that its leaves are stronger and more picturesque, and it grows faster, however, in the shade this plant will please you with greens.
“Girlish” grapes can be grown for ornamental purposes in the European part of Russia, in the CIS countries, and in Siberia. As for the wintering of the plant, it is not required to cover it from frost or, especially, remove the vine from the wall: the main thing is to make sure that the roots remain deep in the ground and do not go outside. Often, in the summer period, grapes that were shallowly planted partly bring the root system out - in such cases, the base of the vines should be covered with earth.
In summer, the plant requires moderate humidity. If the summer is dry, it is advisable to additionally irrigate the grapes so that the leaves do not dry. Meanwhile, do not overfill the plant, as this can lead to the appearance of mold.
One of the undoubted advantages of grapes is the ease of its reproduction. It can occur with the help of cuttings of stems, cuttings or seeds. Consider all these three ways in comparison:
- Reproduction by layers of stems is a very easy option. To do this, bend the slider to the ground: this can be done easily thanks to the good flexibility of the vine. Cut it from the mother plant should not be. The layering should be fixed at ground level with a wire or rope, and also slightly add soil to the top. About a year later you will be able to plant plants and get two separate lianas.
Proceed with this method and propagate the grapes in spring or autumn.
Girlish grape pyatilistochkovy (five-leaf) - characteristic
The shrub comes from the Americas. In Europe, the plant was introduced into culture in 1629. Liana easily climbs on various types of vertical supports. Numerous long stems, clinging to the supports, and complex leaves form a dense green carpet, attractive throughout the growing season. In autumn, the leaves acquire fabulous colors, intense shades of red, purple.
a brief description of
- Group of plants: creepers.
- Plant subgroup: ornamental foliage, fruits.
- Height: 10-20 m.
- Decorative parts: leaves, fruits.
- Fruits: berries.
- Fruit color: dark blue.
- Duration of gardening: seasonal.
- Soil: a plant undemanding to soil conditions.
- Optimal soil pH: neutral.
- Position: well lit places.
- Use for gardening: balconies, gardens, parks, fences, urban landscaping.
How quickly grow decorative grapes? The girl's five-leafed climbing grapes annually give a gain of 1-2 meters in length, growing to 10-20 meters in height. The remarkable beauty of the climbing plant is due to the strong antennae, which have 5-12 suckers at the ends. Suckers firmly attached to various types of surfaces on which other vines have no chance to gain a foothold. Whiskers will not cope with glass, marble, but will conquer other surfaces:
The main decoration of the vine is fairly large leaves, consisting of 5 leaves, located on a long petiole. Leaf blades are green, shiny, red in autumn. The peculiar arrangement of the leaves of the plant provides for the walls of buildings on which the vines are located, protection from:
Hidden under the leaves, invisible flowers bloom in June. Later, beautiful purple fruits appear, having an average size of 5 mm. The fruits are located on decorative red stems, not very noticeable among the leaves during the growing season. After the first frosts, when the leaves fall, the fruits appear in all their glory, decorating bare stems until December, if birds do not notice them. In winter, the grapes become a delicacy for thrushes.
- Triostrenic girlish grapes (Parthenocissus tricuspidata) - has a highly developed mustache, facilitating climbing on a vertical surface, is used to fill the walls. Young leaves are colored green, gradually becoming purple. A characteristic feature is the trio leaves, reaching 10-20 cm in diameter. Triostrenous grapes bloom at the turn of June - July.
- Five Leaf (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) - equipped with a mustache with suction cups, numerous shoots to facilitate climbing. The whiskers are not long, 5-8 suckers stick so strongly to the walls that they are difficult to separate from the wall. The leaves consist of 5 parts, gathered together, reach a length of 10 cm. Young shoots are red, green leaves are subjected to autumn discoloration in a purple-red color. Berries are dark blue (almost black), inedible.
- Attached (Parthenocissus vitacea) - the plant resembles a five-leaf, only grows more slowly. The antennae encircle the support, there are no suckers. In the summer the leaves turn green, they turn red in the fall. The look is steady against frosts, wreckers, it is used for landing of arbors, support. Berries are inedible for people.
Where to plant?
The maiden pyatilistochkovy grape is a beautiful decorative vine, great for growing in the city and on the dacha plots. It looks the most beautiful in autumn, when the leaves turn from golden yellow, with shades of orange, into a deep red color, turning into a dark maroon.
The plant is ideal for:
- covering the unsightly walls of outbuildings, sheds, garages,
- registration of green walls, fences, arbors,
- creating noise barriers.
Bushes planted at the foot of pillars, lanterns, tree trunks with a high crown or on structures specially designed for climbing plants, gazebos and gates look very interesting. Indoors, wild grapes are successfully grown as a ground cover plant.
It can grow on any soil, but on fertile, moist soil it becomes stronger, has dense foliage. The plant should be planted in a secluded, sunny or penumbral position, but not near the southern wall, large fluctuations in temperature between day and night prevent growth.
Girlish grapes decorative photo
Young plants are planted at least with a half-meter interval. When planting vines should ensure a distance of at least 30 cm from the walls. If trees or tall bushes are used as a support, vines should be planted at a distance of about 1 meter from their base. Seedlings are planted in pits, which it is desirable to fill with soil mixed with fertile soil or organic fertilizers, such as compost. Such planting significantly accelerates the growth and development of grapes.
Cultivation and care
Liana has no special requirements for growing:
- grows in the vast majority of soils
- not afraid of drought
- withstands shading in summer
- выдерживает сильный мороз зимой,
- растения, посаженные на южной экспозиции, обильно плодоносят, более интенсивно окрашены осенью,
- не болеет,
- не подвергается нападению вредителей.
Лиана отличается сильным ростом, способна быстро превратить забор в красивую зеленую стену. If it is noticed that individual specimens grow slowly, you can replace them with new plants during the growing season. Seedlings should be purchased in containers.
Immediately after planting, the shoots are cut into 3-4 eyes. In subsequent years, each season at the beginning of spring is cut off about 1/3 of the last increase. Shortening of the shoots can be done in the summer, not later than the end of July, so that the shoots that grow after pruning can woody before winter.
It is necessary to ensure sufficient soil moisture in the period of rapid growth of wild grapes. Lack of water in the soil can significantly reduce the growth of the vine.
The application of organic fertilizers allows you to:
- increase the soil moisture capacity,
- allows you to water less often
- provides the grapes with nutrients
- stimulates active growth, development.
The girlish grape, also called Japanese vine or Veitch, is the most spectacular "loach". It is grown up near high-rise buildings in cities, hiding shortcomings and highlighting the advantages of old buildings. Shoots are distributed along the walls evenly, fanlike. Particularly suitable for covering various types of walls, planted next to a brick, metal, stone fence. Compact leaves are placed on the fence in the form of tiles, overlapping. The plant is attached using velcro at the end of the antennae. Dense foliage effectively stops dust, suppresses noise.
Destruction of plaster, damp building - myths about grapes
Climbing grapes - an extremely ornamental plant that helps to hide the unsightly places of buildings, fences, garden. There are many false opinions about this multi-year loach.
- The first myth - wild grapes destroys the facade. This is not true, the vine does not destroy the plaster. Admittedly, Velcro antennae attached to the facade is quite strong, but only on the surface. If the facade does not crack, is not damaged in any other way, the vine cannot harm the plaster.
- The dampness of the building from the overgrown grapes is the second popular myth. Creepers do not produce moisture, on the contrary: they absorb every drop of water. The surface of the facade, covered with a special "mantle" of leaves, is protected from rain and moisture. In spring and summer the foliage is green, in the autumn it becomes fantastic. The foliage of the grapes is impressive in shades of red, yellow and brown. Its beauty ends after the first frost. Then the leaves fall, forming a dense, colorful carpet.