First you need to choose the right pineapple in the store. It should be noted whether he has a complete rosette of leaves with the center. It is important to choose a ripe and healthy fruit with beautifully colored green leaves. The plant should not have a browning top. A flower sprout should come out from the socket - this will give us a guarantee that the plant will bloom.
How to root?
To germinate roots, it is important to properly prepare the tail for planting, so that the plant gives roots. First you should cut off the rosette of leaves in the upper part, leaving 1-2 cm of the fruit near the outlet, the photo of the correct cut is shown below.
Fragment of the fruit should be peeled with a knife in the form of a slightly rounded heel. Then cut off the remnants of the pulp with a knife so that the fibrous part remains. It is important to remove all the pulp when preparing seedlings, otherwise it will start to rot. If white points appear on the cut, it is desirable not to damage the root nodules during cleaning.
Growing the fruit of their tail, photo
From the bottom of the outlet on a plot of about 2 cm should tear the leaves. To avoid damage to the roots growing from under the leaves, clean the trunk from the leaves, tearing them perpendicular to the trunk. On some pineapples, after removing the leaves, even at this stage we can see small sprouted roots.
Sprouting and planting
The planting material obtained in this way is soaked in water up to half of the fragment of dangling leaves. After about 1-2 weeks, they begin to take root. When the roots reach a length of several centimeters, the seedling should be taken out of the water and placed on a paper towel. Let it dry for 2-3 hours. After drying, seedlings are planted in the soil intended for growing palm trees. The land in the pot should not be too wet, but only slightly moist. It is necessary to dig in the ground the entire area of the stem without leaves.
Pineapple Cultivation - Video
Of course, our small palm requires proper care.
- Pot for this exotic plant it must be large enough so that after planting the seedlings, around 2 cm of land to the edge remains around the plant. Usually suitable pots with a diameter of 12 to 14 centimeters. When new leaves appear in the center of the rosette, this means that a well-established plant begins to grow. After that you should put the pot on the sunniest place in the apartment. Pineapple transplanted once a year, it is better to do it in early summer. Be sure to choose the diameter of the pot so that the plant was about 2 cm to its edge.
- The soil: in garden stores it is easy to buy special soil intended for palm trees. The plant is quite tolerant to the ground, so you can use a universal soil. At the bottom of the pot it is necessary to create a drainage layer to minimize the risk of flooding and thereby reduce the risk of root rot. This soil is fertile enough for pineapple, so it does not require additional feeding.
- Bloom: the first flowers begin to appear about 1.5-2 years after planting. Fruits develop in very sunny places of flowers.
- Temperature:Pineapples feel comfortable at room temperature - 25 ° C in summer and at 20 ° C in winter.
- Watering: the seedling does not need constantly wet soil. In the summer, pineapples grown in pots are watered 2-3 times a week, in the cold season at a temperature of about 20 degrees, the plant must be watered no more than once a week. Water can be poured into the outlet. Tap water before irrigation should be prepared - filter or at least defend so that it does not contain harmful salts and chlorine. The plant likes regular spraying.
Diseases and their symptoms
- Pale leaves: this means that the plant does not receive enough light. It should be moved to a more illuminated position.
- No flowering: should help a little plant. Some pineapples bloom after 18 or even 30 months. Such a long period on an industrial scale is not economically justified. However, people have learned to accelerate this process. Wise scientists have noticed that pineapple blooms much faster if it is treated with ethylene gas. This gas is released, including some fruits. At home, we can get it with apples. To do this, cut the apple in half, place one half of the fruit flat on the ground (cut to the ground), and place the other half on a sheet rosette. Cover the whole plant with a plastic bag and leave it for 2-4 weeks. At this time, the apple will begin to produce ethylene, which, going to the roots, will stimulate the appearance of flowers. When we see the first flowers, remove the bag and remove the apple pieces.
- Lower leaves dry out, frown and twist: it usually means that the plant is in a draft. It should be moved to a more drafted place.
- Dust on the leaves: wipe the leaves with a damp cloth.
- Leaves wrinkled and dying off: it always happens after fruiting. Pineapple dies after fruiting, but new plants can be grown from the outlet.
- Slow growth: may mean that there is a lack of trace elements in the soil. Plant should be fertilized with flowering plants.
- Drying leaves usually appear if the plant is in a too hot and dry place. It should be watered and moved to a cooler place.
- Yellow spots on the leaves usually associated with the fact that our exotic plant was attacked by scythos. This is manifested as follows - brown spots begin to appear on the underside of the sheet. Pests can be removed with a cotton swab or cotton swab for ears soaked in soap.
This fruit is appreciated for its tasty, juicy and very fragrant fruits, which are eaten both raw and cooked. We can buy it in canned form, in jams, compotes, juices and many other types. A very important feature is that pineapple contains bromelain enzyme, which facilitates digestion and helps to lose weight. Most vitamins contain fresh fruit. Fruits from cans during processing lose some of their beneficial properties.
- Pineapple is an excellent fruit for people who are on a diet because it contains a lot of fiber. Fiber speeds up digestion and removes toxic metabolic products.
- Bromelain, contained in pineapples, promotes weight loss, and also acts as an anti-inflammatory, anti-edematous agent and analgesic, prevents the formation of blood clots.
- The fruit is used auxiliary in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases, arthritis and other inflammatory diseases.
- Fruits contain disinfectants and also have the ability to remove dead tissues without damaging new ones, therefore they are used to heal wounds, treat burns, bites, bruises and edemas.
- As an aid, they can be used in the treatment of allergies and respiratory diseases, as well as with problems with digestion.
- Pineapples are also used in cosmetics. Vitamin C contained in the fruit removes age spots and brightens the skin.
- This fruit strengthens blood vessels. Organic acids and bromelain contained in fruits gently exfoliate dead skin cells, and minerals nourish it. Pineapples are especially recommended for people with skin pigmentation and acne.
- Pineapple is often used as an aphrodisiac.
Assistant in the fight against snoring
If someone snores strongly in the house, there is an ideal solution. Peaceful sleep will be provided by a pineapple in a pot. Statistics show that the problem of snoring concerns every fourth adult - usually men.
According to NASA research, pineapple plants produce oxygen and improve air quality throughout the night. Thus, they help to sleep better and quieter. For anyone who had to run from the bedroom to another room because of snoring partner, this discovery can be a godsend.
Plants grow from 21 months to 2 years and eventually produce a small fruit. If the house has no problems with snoring, they can just bring a little exotic to the interior.
Pineapple is one of those exotic fruits that we can grow ourselves. It is enough to cut off the top sheet rosette and plant it in a pot. It is very important that this part of the pineapple that we put in the ground with the leaves is dry, without pulp, otherwise the plant will rot. As a result, we get an ornamental plant that improves the air and can even bear fruit.
Growing pineapple from the top
For those who want to grow a pineapple on their own, you should know that it is better to start this process at the end of summer, in August or September. It is then that one can expect that pineapple bought in a store or on the market is suitable as planting material. It is better to take several fruits to increase the likelihood of successful rooting.
So, the fruit for planting material should be ripe, but not overripe, golden brown in color with bright green not too large leaves. They should not be gray spots, the presence of which indicates the defeat of the plant by the scarlet - for planting such fruits should not be used.
Pineapple head cut and peeled
Preparation crown for later landing:
- Cut the top of a pineapple, at a distance of 2-3 fingers from the leaves.
- The flesh is selected around the ring from the crust, not reaching the center, where a round island is left, from which the roots will later germinate.
- The lowest leaves are removed.
- The inside of the sprinkled with activated or wood charcoal, you can wipe with a very weak solution of potassium permanganate, so as not to start rot.
- The top of the pineapple is suspended for 2 weeks to dry slightly.
Sometimes the tops, planted 5 or 6 hours after treatment, successfully take root.
Planted crown is planted in a pot whose diameter is not much larger than the diameter of the seedling. At the bottom of the pot a layer of drainage, for example, expanded clay, is filled up. The soil may consist of a mixture of peat and sand, and you can buy ready-made earthen mixture for cacti.
The hole for planting do shallow up to 2.5 cm. It is recommended to pour a little crushed charcoal on its bottom. The ground should cover the seedling to the lower leaves and be tightly tamped. After planting, the plant is watered, covered with a plastic bag or glass jar and put in a warm and bright place.
Growing pineapple from tuft
You can simply unscrew the tuft of pineapple - it is separated from the fruit with a small stem. It is necessary to remove 3-4 bottom sheets to expose the base. So that the barrel does not rot, after cleaning, leave it to dry for several days.
The crest is easily unscrewed
Now we put pineapple tufts in glasses with water - this is the easiest and most reliable way, as practice has shown. Put the glasses on the windowsill to other colors.
Pineapple should be in the water only a couple of centimeters and not touch the bottom
It is necessary to constantly add water, sometimes to change it completely - and after two or three weeks the roots will appear.
Good roots - you can plant in the ground
As they become a couple of centimeters - we plant in the ground. About the composition of the soil has already been said, we bury the tuft of three centimeters into the ground, more precisely - all the exposed base.
Pineapple will finally take root in one and a half to two months. This will be seen on the new leaves, which will appear in the center of the crest.
As new pineapple leaves grow, the old ones will turn brown and dry up - they need to be carefully cut. Their place will be taken by young leaves. Watering a young pineapple is rarely needed - once a week.
About a year later, the pineapple should be transplanted into a larger pot, adding soil for cacti. Be sure to good drainage of expanded clay, gravel - because the roots of pineapple do not like stagnant water and the plant can die from excess moisture.
Pineapple transplant in new pots
In winter, the pineapple is a period of rest, and with the onset of spring, it begins to grow rapidly. If in the spring the pineapple does not grow, it means that it is urgently necessary to transplant with the change of land, since the soil is depleted.
When growing pineapple at home, you should follow certain rules of care - create this tropical plant suitable conditions for good growth and the formation of the fetus.
Lighting and temperature
For a green pet to feel comfortable, it must be light and warm. Pineapple comes from the tropics and cold, especially frost does not tolerate at all. In the summer of room pineapple can be put on the balcony, take to the country. You need to place the plant under the canopy of trees so that the light is diffused. In the fresh air, it grows well. For good development of the plant, you need to keep it in a bright place for at least 6 hours a day at any time of the year.
In summer, pineapple loves to "walk"
Watering and fertilizer
Watering should be infrequent and abundant. The ground in the pot should be wet, but the stagnation of water should not be allowed, for this and need good drainage. On the one hand, the pineapple is adapted to droughts, and it can be watered once a week in winter, and during the growth period it is watered more often and more abundant.
In the summer it is very good to spray the leaves with water, it will be absorbed by the leaves, and the surplus will quickly dry outside. Do not do this at home, especially in the winter - the water will stagnate in the leaves and the plant may rot.
Feed the pineapple fertilizer only in the period of growth in the summer. And it should be done carefully, little by little. If you spray on the leaves, then make sure that the liquid fertilizer does not fall on the young leaves - they can get burned.
Pests and diseases
With good care and compliance with the rules of cultivation of indoor pineapple, it is almost not affected by pests. It can be affected by mites and mealybugs. It helps in the fight against them washing the leaves with soapy water, then rinse the leaves with clean water. With a strong defeat, you can use insecticides, breeding strictly according to the instructions.
Pineapple can ache with heart rot under the influence of fungus. At the diseased plant, the leaves in the center turn black and are easily removed from the trunk. You can save the plant - for this purpose, any fungicide is poured into the center. Over time, the plant will release a side shoot, and the old then gently cut.
Can I get pineapple fruit at home?
Sure you may. With careful care, the plant blooms after 2 or 3 years, and after the fruit ripens, it dies. But there are processes that can be used to grow new plants.
Ripe pineapple fruit
When growing pineapple at home, the timing of flowering is difficult to predict, they can move in any direction. Usually at the age of one and a half months, when the flower grows to 25 cm in height, an inflorescence appears. From the crown grows a long stem, on top of which an inflorescence forms.
Pineapple blooms for two months and flowers appear for two weeks, every day. Bright blue flowers open only for days row by row - then wither. The fruit begins to develop after the last flower wilts. Pineapple fruit grows and ripens up to six months - it depends on the conditions and pineapple variety.
Pineapple picking up color
What if the pineapple does not form fruit?
There are times when the pineapple does not want to bear fruit at all. If it is already sufficiently developed, then it can be stimulated to fruiting. For all bromeliads, the family of which includes pineapple, ethylene is a stimulant. To form it, pour 1 teaspoon of calcium carbide in half a liter of water. And leave for a day unopened. Then drain the liquid without sediment. You will get an aqueous solution of ethylene.
Pineapple on the windowsill
Every day, pour 50 grams of solution into the center of the leaves of pineapple for a week. Usually after this procedure flowering begins in a month. If nothing happens, the plant is either not ready for fruiting, or is sick.
How to grow pineapple at home
Flowering or fruiting pineapple looks very unusual in the interior. Its appearance causes admiration and even some surprise. Under normal home conditions, it is not very common, although it may be interesting for many gardeners to try growing it. With proper care, this exotic plant takes root well in the apartment. Under favorable conditions, after 2.5-3 years it may bloom and start fruiting.
For planting pineapple in the conditions of the apartment use the green top of the fruit. For an experienced grower, in principle, there is nothing difficult in this process. You just need to root the apical part of the plant. But in order to attempt to plant an exotic plant accurately crowned with success, you need to pay attention to the following points:
- the right choice of fruit,
- careful preparation of planting material
- planting a green top in the ground.
If done correctly, the tip will take root in the ground. Later, when the plant takes root, it will need to be provided with appropriate care so that it grows and develops normally. Under conditions favorable to pineapple, it will bloom in several years and will give fruit. Они съедобные, только будут меньше по размерам, чем у растений, находящихся в естественной для них среде.
Выбор плода для посадки
Большое значение для успешной посадки ананаса имеет правильный выбор плода. Он должен быть спелым, без гнили и повреждений. Не дозревшие же или переспелые плоды для посадки не годятся. But special attention should be paid to the green top of the pineapple, because it is used for rooting.
Apical part should be strong and healthy, without any signs of decay, and the leaves on it - fresh, rich green color, without brown spots. If the foliage on a fetus is sluggish or starts to dry out, then it is better to put aside such fruit and choose another, healthier one.
Attention! For planting pineapple is preferable to use fruits purchased in spring or summer. Those that are bought in wintertime may turn frostbitten, and such planting material is no longer suitable for growing.
If you have any doubts when choosing a pineapple for planting, it is better to buy two fruits at once, but take them in different stores. So the likelihood that at least one of them will be fit will be much higher. And many flower growers do just that, rooting two tops at once, on the basis that if not both, then one will surely take root.
Preparing pineapple toroot
After buying a pineapple, the fruit itself can be used for its intended purpose, that is, to eat. For rooting, you only need its tip with leaves. It must be carefully separated from the fetus itself. This can be done in one of two ways:
- unscrew the top,
- cut the apical part of the fruit.
If the pineapple is ripe, the apical part gets out quite easily. To do this, you need to take with one hand the fruit itself, and with the other - to clasp its green top and start twisting it. Keep it necessary for a place closer to the base, and not for the leaves, so as not to damage them. Too much effort when unscrewing can damage the apical part. Therefore, if this way it is impossible to separate it from the fetus, it is better to act differently - cut the green tip.
To cut the top, use a sharp knife, holding it at a 45 degree angle. Carefully separating it from the fruit with the tool, then you need to carefully peel off the flesh, otherwise the tip may fade in the future. Only it is necessary to act extremely carefully so as not to accidentally damage the points on it, from which the roots will then grow. With both methods of separation of the apex, then the lower leaves will need to be removed by about 3-4 cm.
The apical part prepared in this way is rooted more often in warm and separated water, using a suitable container, preferably of dark glass. The top is immersed in the liquid of the exposed part, exposing the container with the plant in a warm and well-lit place, but not in the sun. Water is changed regularly, every 2-3 days. Within a few days, the roots should appear. When they grow up to 2-3 mm, the plant can be planted in the ground.
For planting the top you need to take a large enough container with a height of 20-30 cm and a diameter of about 30-35 cm. If there is no such pot at hand, you can land the top first in a smaller capacity, and only then, as the plant grows, move it to more appropriate. At the bottom you need to lay out the drainage layer of expanded clay or pebbles, and on top of it already fill the pot with nutrient soil, leaving some distance to the edge.
For moistening and additional disinfection, it is better to shed the soil well with boiling water or a solution of potassium permanganate. About a day or two after that, pineapple will be planted in such a prepared soil.
In a properly prepared soil, make the hole a little larger than the stalk of the top of the pineapple, lower it over the lower leaves and press down the soil around it. To protect the roots from rotting into the hole, you can additionally add a little ash or crushed coal. The plant is placed in a warm, lighted place, avoiding direct sunlight. At a temperature of 25-27 degrees, the tip will take root in the ground within 1.5-2 months.
In summer, the pineapple can be placed on the balcony, protected from rain. In the autumn and in the winter it is usually kept on the windowsill or near the window. But you need to pay attention to the fact that he was not in the draft. Plant care will consist in regular watering, but without a strong overwetting of the soil, spraying and wiping the leaves from dust, adding supplements every 1-2 months.
A blooming pineapple or a plant with a fruit set in it looks very beautiful in the house. It can be a real decoration of any flower collection. Even a novice grower will be able to grow it independently from the green top, because in this process there are no big difficulties, especially if you act according to the instructions.
Is it possible to grow pineapple at home
Growing pineapple at home is troublesome, but the result is worth it.
Pineapple - herbaceous perennial plant, a representative of the family Bromeliaceae (bromeliads). It grows in equatorial and tropical areas. The top growers are the Philippines, Thailand, USA and Latin American countries. Today, there are 9 varieties of this culture. The most common is the large-crested pineapple (Ananas comosus).
To grow a plant in Europe is possible only when creating greenhouse conditions.You do not need a special room for this, an ordinary apartment will do. The fruits of plants obtained in this way are slightly inferior in size to fruits that are transported from tropical areas. But the aroma and taste of pineapple is not affected.
Selection of planting material
Choosing a healthy pineapple for breeding - the key to success
One of the conditions for the successful cultivation of pineapple is the correct choice of the fruit. In order not to be mistaken, follow the following rules:
- Pay attention to the leaves. In high-quality pineapple, they have a rich green color and solid structure. If you find a fruit with yellow or brown leaves, you should not get it.
- The skin color should be golden yellow.
- Healthy fruit has moderate elasticity. Do not choose too hard pineapple. But if the fruit is too loose, then this is also an indicator of its low quality.
- It is recommended to buy pineapple for home cultivation in late August or early September. If you buy a fruit in the winter, make sure that it is not frozen. From such planting material will not be able to get a healthy plant.
- Inadmissible is the presence of gray spots on the skin.
1. Grip the top with your hand and turn it out with a slow, gentle movement. The inner stem should separate with the leaves.
You can unscrew the tip by hand or with a knife
2. If the fetus is not ripe, it may be difficult to perform this procedure. Then use a knife and use it to remove the leaves and spine. When cutting, stick to a 45 ° angle. Do not place the knife horizontally.
If you use a knife, then make sure that it is at a 45 degree angle
3. Remove the pulp that remains on the stem, otherwise the planting material will begin to rot. From here the pineapple root system will develop.
4. Depart from the tuft of 3 cm and cut off the top with the leaves. The result should be a stalk with a crown. Lower leaves are also removed. Ensure that the kidneys are not damaged.
5. The next stage of preparation is pre-germination. Pour into a glass of distilled water at room temperature and lower the cutting there. He should dive 3-4 cm.
6. Place the glass in a warm, well-lit place with a stable temperature. Water change every 2-3 days.
We sprout the top and put in a pot
7. After 3 weeks, roots will appear on the top, after which it can be transplanted into the ground.
There is also an alternative preparatory treatment. The handle is hung on a rope in a vertical position with the crown down. For 2-3 weeks the plant is dried. It is believed that after such a procedure, the tip takes root better.
Important! Treat the stalk with a weak solution of potassium permanganate, this will help prevent it from rotting.
Video: top training
The general scheme of planting pineapple
1. Prepare the pot. In size, it should not be inferior to the cut of a pineapple with a tuft. Since the plant, as it grows, will have to be transplanted into a larger space, you can immediately use a pot with a diameter of 30–35 cm. But if there is no such possibility, a 15 cm container will fit at this stage. The presence of a drainage hole is obligatory, it will allow to avoid stagnation of excess moisture. Pineapple is recommended to be planted in a pot with low sides, but with a large diameter. This is due to the peculiarities of the development of the root system, which is located in the upper soil layer.
2. At the bottom of the tank, fill a layer of expanded clay, 2–3 cm thick.
3. Fill the pot with primer. The soil can be purchased at flower shops or cook yourself. 2 days before planting, it must be disinfected with a weak solution of potassium permanganate or boiling water. There are several varieties of soil composition for pineapple:
- mix an equal ratio of peat and river sand,
- combine turf and leaf land, peat, birch sawdust and coarse sand in a ratio of 3: 2: 2: 2: 1,
- mix leaf humus, soddy soil, sand and peat (2: 1: 1: 1).
4. In the middle of the tank, make a hole 3 cm deep, place the top with the roots down and cover it with the ground to the level of the leaves.
5. Finger tighten the soil a little.
6. Water the plant with a little water. The soil should be slightly damp.
7. Put the pot in a warm place with sufficient lighting. If you started planting in cold weather, cover the sapling with plastic wrap, this will create the necessary microclimate.
8. In order for the plant to take root, the temperature in the room should be 25–27 ° C. This process takes 1.5–2 months. Do not leave pineapple in direct sunlight.
9. When the first leaves appear, remove the film.
- In the room where pineapple grows, maintain the temperature at 22–25 ° C.
- In winter, lower it to 16–18 ° C.
- If the temperature does not correspond to the required value and the room is too cool, use heating appliances.
- If the plant is on the windowsill, it should be protected from drafts and frostbite.
- In the cold season it is better to rearrange the culture in the warmer zone of the apartment.
Culture does not tolerate excess moisture
Pineapple can not be watered too plentifully. Its natural habitat is a tropical climate where the plant does not receive water for several months. Twice a week will be enough; in winter, reduce the regularity of watering to one time per 7 days.
Focus on the state of the soil and plants. If the soil has dried out or the leaves begin to fade, this indicates that the pineapple needs to be moistened. Water it to the rosette of leaves, which is filled to 2/3 volume. Use only distilled or filtered water at room temperature. You can add a few drops of lemon juice.
Important! Excessive moisture will cause the plant to rot.
Pineapple - light-loving culture. But exposure to direct ultraviolet rays is highly undesirable. The most suitable place for it will be the east or west side. It is not recommended to place the plant on the south window.
Turn it not worth it. Pineapple grows well with one-sided lighting. In late autumn and winter, the plant needs an additional light source. Place a fluorescent lamp next to it at a distance of 20 cm. Light the pineapple 8–10 hours a day.
Fertilizers are applied during the growing season.
From the end of February, the growing season begins, which lasts until September. At this time, pineapple must be systematically fed. Fertilizers are applied every 10–15 days. The process itself has the following features:
- Pineapple is fed horse or cow dung. Prepare a bucket and fill it with 1/3 with organic fertilizer, add the remaining volume with warm water.
- Stir the mixture periodically for 3-5 days.
- After that, the solution should infuse for a week.
- Then dilute it with water at a ratio of 1:10. For 1 liter of soil 50 ml of fertilizer is required.
- Spray the pineapple with a solution of iron sulfate 1–2 times a month (1 g of the preparation per 1 l of water).
Important! Do not feed pineapple with alkaline fertilizers, such as wood ash or lime.
The first transplant is carried out after 2 months. By this time, the pineapple is well established and will be able to actively consume nutrients and moisture from the soil. In the future, it is transplanted every year.
We can not allow a strong expansion of the root system. With each new transplant, use a pot that is 2–3 l in volume in excess of the previous capacity. Move the plant along with a lump of earth. The procedure is carried out in the same sequence as the landing. Apply a similar composition of the soil.
To stimulate flowering in several ways, for example, with the help of calcium carbide
Pineapple when home grown starts flowering in 3-4 years. If this does not happen, use one of the following tips:
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon of calcium carbide in 500 ml of water, leave to stand for 24 hours. Then drain the liquid, leaving impurities and sediment. In the middle of the outlet pour daily 50 ml of this composition throughout the week. In 1–5 months, flowering occurs.
- Cover the plant with a plastic bag. Put some smoking coals near the pot. Pineapple will bloom after 2-2.5 months. But such a procedure should be carried out 2-3 times with a break of a week. When the coals stop smoking, remove them and remove the polyethylene from the pineapple.
- Place the pot in a large bag, then put 3-4 tomatoes or apples. When the fruits begin to fall into disrepair, replace them with new ones.
In 6–7 months after flowering, a crop will appear. At home growing pineapple reaches in the weight of 0.3-1.5 kg. Mature fruits can be identified by the sweetish smell. During this period, it is not recommended to use mineral fertilizers; feed the plant only with organic substances.
After the end of fruiting on pineapple for 2–3 years new shoots will appear. Then the plant dies. Babies can be re-planted. They land in the same way as the tip.
Pineapple can successfully grow at home. If you follow the above recommendations in a few years you will try the fruits grown in-house. And if you wish, you can organize a whole plantation. Good luck!
How to grow pineapple from seed at home
Reproduction by seeds is considered the most difficult and time consuming method. First, it is possible to receive shoots only from purchased seeds. In the fruits of seeds sold in supermarkets or not at all, or only their whitish, immature rudiments can be found.
Pineapple seed suitable for germination has a slightly flattened semicircular shape, reaches a length of 3-4 mm and is colored with a brown or reddish shade of brown.
Before planting, seeds for 18-24 hours are placed between the layers of a wet napkin and, covered, put in a warm place. Then, when they swell a little, they land in a wet mixture of purified peat and sand. In order for small seeds to ascend without difficulty, they are submerged by no more than 1-2 cm.
Capacities necessarily cover with a film or glass and put in heat. It is from the temperature provided by the seeds that their germination and the timing of the appearance of the first shoots will depend:
- At normal room temperature, germination can take from 3-4 weeks to one and a half months.
- If you ensure the seeds stay in a temperature of about 30–32 ° C, you can see the sprouts in 2-3 weeks.
It is important to maintain not only the temperature regime, but also to moisten the soil in time, and also not to forget about seedlings feeding. To do this, at intervals of 15–20 days, crops are fertilized with complex formulations, including basic nutrients and trace elements.
When several leaves appear on young rosettes, they dive, transferring a lump together with a little earthlings into the ground for adult plants. Such soil can be made independently by mixing in equal parts peat, humus, garden soil and sand. To give structure and a peculiar protection against infections, crushed charcoal is added to the soil up to 5% of the volume. And some of the sand can be replaced with perlite.
How to grow pineapple from the top at home
If you can find the seeds of an exotic culture, you can not always and not everywhere, then you can grow a pineapple at home from the top of the fruit purchased in the store, even without special knowledge. True, to approach the choice of delicacy, which is destined to give the planting material, it is necessary to approach with full responsibility. Pineapple should be fresh, with a green elastic rosette of foliage, without any signs of spoilage, cold damage or fading. During the inspection you need to pay attention to the growth point of the outlet, if it is rotten, withered or just missing, it will be extremely difficult to get a new plant.
At home, when growing pineapple near the seedlings with a sharp clean knife, the upper part is cut off, capturing not only a leafy rosette, but a section of the fruit three centimeters lower. Если ананас полностью спелый, можно аккуратно выкрутить розетку, одной рукой плотно удерживая хохолок, а другой соплодие.
Когда будущий посадочный материал получен, с розетки тщательно удаляют все остатки сочной мякоти, которые могут стать источником гнили. Короткие нижние листья снимают, чтобы получить цилиндрический черенок длиной до 3 сантиметров.
Slices must be treated with a saturated solution of potassium permanganate, crushed charcoal or, which will accelerate the appearance of the roots, with a solution of epin.
To save the stalk from rotting, it is advised to leave pineapple for drying for a day or two before rooting. And it is better to hang the socket so that it does not come into contact with any surfaces. A video on how to grow pineapple at home, will reveal all the details of the process and clearly show all its stages.
Rooting is carried out by submerging the foliage-free part of the cutting in water. To hold it at the right level, you can use a cardboard circle or toothpicks, as shown in the photo.
When the first roots appeared on the pineapple, the socket can be planted in the ground, and you should not bury the young plant above the lower tier of the leaves. Substrate around the seedling gently, trying not to damage a few numerical roots, crushed and compacted.
Further cultivation of pineapple at home takes place under the film at a temperature not lower than 20–22 ° C. If it is possible to achieve warming of air and soil up to 25 ° C, after about a month new bright leaves will appear in the center of the outlet.
While acclimatization and rooting the pineapple plant is important:
- protect from condensate droplets falling on the outlet, causing the development of mold and foliage,
- regularly moisten the soil,
- air planting, not allowing cooling plants.
A pot with a pineapple plant is exposed to a lighted place where the direct rays of the sun will not threaten the outlet.
Pineapple propagation by root cuttings
If there is already an adult pineapple plant in the house, it can be propagated using daughter processes that form in the lower part of the stem or under the stem, which can be easily broken and rooted. As a planting material, cuttings can be used, which have already given several rows of leaves and are 15–20 cm in length.
Like the socket from the top of a pineapple, the stalk can be unscrewed or carefully cut off with a sharp blade. Place the cut to sprinkle with coal crumb, and then with the handle come in by analogy with the cultivation of pineapple in the home from the top.
If the basal rosette already has the rudiments of the roots, it can be immediately planted in a light soil from a mixture of peat, perlite and a ready substrate for indoor plants.
How to care for pineapple at home?
Care for homemade pineapple is to provide all the conditions for the growth and development of the plant.
- For pineapple, it is important to choose and maintain a loose nutrient soil.
- Create an acceptable lighting, temperature and humidity conditions.
- Pineapple needs well-organized watering and feeding.
When planting pineapple and caring for it at home, you need to remember that the plant has a not very powerful root system of the surface type:
- The soil must be permeable to both moisture and oxygen.
- In the pot must provide a decent layer of drainage.
- The capacity itself should not be deep, but pineapple is very good for wide pots.
Best of all, the light-loving southern pineapple at home is grown on southern, western or eastern windows. At the same time, in summertime, when the sun is the hottest, pineapples are best shaded on the southern side, but in winter plants need light that prolongs the daylight hours by 6–8 hours.
In a healthy specimen, young foliage has a bright green tint. And the leaves from the lower rows are not dry and withered, but gray, taut and juicy. With a sufficient level of light, the socket is formed symmetrically.
The lower limit of air temperature for pineapple at home is 18 ° C. in such an air, the plant goes into hibernation. And for the active development of the air should be warmer. In spring and summer, the optimum temperature may be between 22 and 30 ° C.
Home pineapple care includes regular, infrequent but abundant watering, for which warm, ambient air temperature, settled water is taken.
On hot days, the plants irrigate, but wet foliage on cold days inevitably causes disease and wilting. The same effect should be expected if the pineapple gets cold air from an open window, or there is a drying effect of a hot battery.
From mid-spring, when the active growing season begins, and up to October, pineapples are fed at home in the extent of their care. The schedule is organized depending on the state of the plant, but more often organic and mineral fertilizers are applied every 1-2 weeks.
In winter, fertilizing is canceled, watering reduces, and the temperature of the content decreases.
How to make homemade pineapple blossom and care for it?
Pineapple fruiting season begins 2–4 years after the rosette is formed. However, even with industrial plantings, fruits are obtained by treating plants with acetylene or acetic acid using a special technology. At home, growing pineapple, such methods are not very acceptable, but here you can make a stubborn plant to form an inflorescence.
Regular feeding of the plant with liquid organic fertilizer becomes a good stimulant. If pineapple twice a month during the entire growing season receives such feeding, then in 2-3 months you can wait for flowering. Some experts advise in a few days to spill the inside of the outlet with an acetylene solution obtained from a liter of water and 15 grams of carbide.
A similar effect is given by staging next to a pot of a jar with a small amount of water and a piece of steaming carbide. During the procedure, it is better to cover the pot with a package or put it in a greenhouse. The plant can also be triggered by ordinary apples, which produce ethylene during storage. To do this, fresh apples are laid out next to a pot in a greenhouse for several days.
Most often, florists use fumigating plants with ordinary smoke to activate flowering. This procedure should last 10–15 minutes and be repeated 2-3 times in a week.
2-3 months after treatment, with proper care for the pineapple, an inflorescence first appears at home and then, after 30 days, and the ovary. The ripening of the fruit lasts from 4 to 6 months, after which it will be possible to try personally grown pineapple.
A little bit about pineapple
Pineapple - a tropical herbaceous plant, the fruits of which are famous for juiciness, unique sweet-sour taste and aroma. Pineapple grows mainly in the tropics, the leaders in its production are the United States, Latin America, Thailand and the Philippines.
Contrary to popular belief, pineapples do not grow on palm trees. This fruit develops directly on the ground from inflorescences on densely growing grassy shoots. Today it is popular all over the world, but before Columbus’s cruises in the Old World they had never heard of it. Having tasted a strange fruit, the Europeans soon began to make attempts to grow it at home in greenhouse conditions. This tradition has reached us, so we are not the first to try to grow pineapple in a pot: gardeners have been doing this for over half a century. Passion for growing pineapples to Russia came a little later. But already in the 19th century, the presence of a pineapple greenhouse in a noble estate was considered a sign of special prestige.
Interestingly, the word "pineapple" in Indian dialect means "the smell of smells."
- a pineapple,
- small flower pot (0.5 l),
- soil mixture
- covering material.
When choosing a pot, keep in mind that its diameter is not less than the pineapple cut at the tuft (from 15 cm). Drainage flow for water is required.
The quality of the soil mix largely depends on whether the plant will take root. For plants suitable mixture of river sand and peat in a 1: 1 ratio. The ideal option is a mixture for growing tropical (bromeliads) crops, which can be purchased at specialized country / flower shops.
To create a warm, gentle microclimate for the first couple of months, provide the plant with an improvised greenhouse-cap made of polyethylene, glass, or a cut plastic bottle.
Step-by-step instructions for growing pineapple at home
The preliminary stage of planting is the preparation of the pineapple tops. This is done in one of the suggested ways.
- Turn the top of the pineapple in a neat twisting motion. The bundle of leaves should be separated from the fruit along with the inner stem. Top removal by twisting
- Cut off the top of the pineapple with leaves, stepping back from the crest of 3 cm. Then gently strip the flesh around the inner stem, trying not to damage it. It is from here that the root system of the future plant will develop. Lower leaves gently separate, so as not to damage the radical buds. You should have a bare trunk about 3 cm long, topped with a crown of leaves. Topping
The prepared cutting is recommended to be treated with a weak solution of potassium permanganate in order to avoid rotting. For the same purpose, you can use ash powder or activated carbon.
This is interesting: pineapple leaves are so strong fibers that they are used as a spinning culture. From the leaves of the plant they get a light, translucent, but at the same time strong fabric, which is called “Pina”.
In a number of sources it is recommended to dry the plant upright for 2-3 weeks. To do this, it is suspended on a string crown down. It is understood that after a long drying the plant takes root better.
Drying pineapple tops takes from a few days to a couple of weeks
However, other craftsmen are advised to immediately put a pineapple stalk in the water for pre-germination. Do not use plastic utensils for this purpose. Place the prepared tuft in a glass of water at room temperature so that the water covers the bare stem. Keep seedlings in a well-lit, warm, protected from drafts and temperature extremes. Change the water every 2-3 days.
The stages of sprouting and planting pineapple
After about three weeks, the tuft will grow into confident roots and will be ready for transplanting into the ground. During this time, the crown of the plant will be enriched with new leaves.
- At the bottom of the pot lay a drainage layer of expanded clay or pebbles. Then fill the pot with soil. To protect the plant from parasites and bacteria, the soil is recommended to be sanitized a couple of days before planting. To do this, spill it with a solution of potassium permanganate, or at least boiling water. Pour drainage layer and soil into the pot
- Make a depression in the center of the pot and place the plant there with its roots down. Now fill the root system with soil mixture to the level of the leaves. Try to press the ground around with your fingers so that the plant is firmly rooted. Plant the tops in the prepared soil
- Lightly water the planted plant, put in a well-lit warm place. To create a favorable microclimate (especially during the cold season), you can cover the seedling with a cap from a transparent bag, glass or PET bottle. At the same time, do not forget to clean it in the sunny time of the day so that the plant does not suffocate. Cover the pineapple cap
The fact that the plant stuck, you will tell the emergence of new leaves.
Remember that pineapple in nature is accustomed to a tropical climate, which means that it can tolerate heat. He has to do without water for several months. Therefore, the main mistake you can make is to overdo it with abundant watering. Best advice: watch your plant, feel it. It is enough to water the pineapple a couple of times a week, and even less often in the winter. If your plant needs more moisture, drying leaves will tell. Then water will need more often or abundantly. But an excess of moisture can lead to decay and death.
Important! Remember a simple rule: water the pot only when the ground is completely dry.
Pineapple does not need additional fertilizers. However, if you really want to feed your pet, you can do it with organic or complex flower fertilizers. At the same time avoid the use of alkaline substances that are detrimental to pineapple.
Replant the pineapple in a timely manner to a new, larger pot. This should be done at least once a year. Try to gradually increase the volume of the pot, do not replant the plant in too large containers.
Home grown pineapple
Pineapple blooms in the third year of life. At the same time the apical rosette grows, and root buds appear. Densely expanded crown will give good podklodie. At the end of flowering to get rid of old and dry leaves. Now you have every chance to grow a real pineapple and enjoy the fruits of their labor. After removal of the fetus, the plant gradually dies. But even during the flowering period, you can separate the root buds from it and transplant it into the ground. Of these, the plant will develop much faster than from the cut tops.
Reviews of those who have already tried
Many times I tried to grow pineapple from the fruit bought in the store, I cut it and twisted it, put it in some water and just dried it in the ground, which I did not do, in the end nothing good came out, everything rotted, or just blackened the leaves and everything here Recently, my wife and I went once again to Thailand, approached an elderly fruit seller - a Thais and asked him how you grow this fruit, can you give me seeds or sell them, he grabs the pineapple from the shelf, unscrews the top of the head and shows me visually that it is need to stick into the ground. I accepted the gift, he did not take money for it. As far as eating pineapples in the room, there were a couple more tops, unscrewed by me on the advice of the Thai. The heads were dried up and I packed them in a suitcase, upon arrival home they had a couple of days for me waiting for the earth and the pots. He did everything, as the Thais recommended, namely, he simply took it and stuck it in the ground, a week later fresh leaves began to appear from the outlet. And the smallest copy, there were kids :)))
On March 8, at work, my wife was presented with a pineapple. We ate it, but the idea was born - to try to grow pineapple in a pot ... The idea was born from the stories of parents who during Soviet times during a business trip in Africa, planted them in a garden near the house. 🙂 For this, they took a pineapple top with a “fir tree” and put it in a plastic ice cream bucket with water (water covered only the pineapple rind). Water was added regularly. When the roots appeared (after 5 months), transplanted into a large flower pot. The pot took 7 liters and put it on the kitchen table by the window. The land is plain, from the garden. Regularly watered with plain water from the water supply. This plant looked like a large aloe, but without thorns. In 2 years, the size of the leaves reached 1 meter. In late October, the pineapple bloomed - the middle center turned red and a small pineapple appeared. In late April, the pineapple reached its marketability - it turned yellow and looked very appetizing. We cut it and ate it. It tasted sweeter and more fragrant than the gift, ... however, it did not come in size ... so Moscow is not Africa. :)] For 3 years without much hassle, we were able to grow pineapple in the kitchen.
We did not additionally highlight it.
The pot was standing / standing at 10 cm from the glass (from the center of the plant to glass 30 cm will be). In the sixth shot, on the left, the brown edge of the pot is visible, to the left of the cactus and the white window.
The window looks almost to the west, more precisely to the south-south-west. The light behind the glass does not block anything - the 16th floor.
We did not specifically wait for him, put him in and let him sit, well, and if he blossomed, then he would never get out of it
I also planted last year. I bought a birthday, I immediately put the top in a glass of the day for 2, then I planted it in a pot, I took the soil with fertilizers. And now, as the year has grown, prickly to horror :) True, the daughter-in-law wants to transplant into a greenhouse for the summer, well, I don’t know if we are waiting for the fruit. )
Better take root tops of the mini-pineapple, try. I tried the usual several times to plant, did not get it, but from the mini got accustomed, it has been growing for 1.5 years. I did it like this: I cut off the top with a small part of the pulp that I scraped out with a spoon, put it in a dark place for a day, then sprinkled the cut with powdered charcoal, I took ordinary activated carbon tablets, laid a hole in the ground with them, stuck the top, sprinkled it with earth, poured it, Covered the package and two or three weeks so it all stood. Then she took off the package - the tip caught on and from the middle climbed new leaves.
Video: how to grow pineapple from the top
Breeding pineapples in greenhouse conditions for more than half a century. Today you have a chance to become an exotic gardener without leaving your home. And to start a new hobby, it’s better not to find a pineapple plant. Unpretentious pineapple is ready to grow even in Siberia, if it will be provided with the necessary care. And decorating the table with the tropical fruits of your own hands is a real pleasure.
How to choose a pineapple to multiply it?
The peculiarity of pineapple in the use of moisture through the upper part of the fruit served as a hint how to grow the pineapple yourself. Для получения нового полноценного растения в домашних условиях необходимо знать некоторые условия, чтобы правильно его посадить.
В первую очередь для того чтобы вырастить из верхушки растения новый ананас, следует его правильно отобрать. Как это сделать? Купить следует хорошо вызревший плод, но опять же не слишком перезревший.
Чтобы не ошибиться с выбором, следует придерживаться следующих правил:
- Pineapple should be as fresh as possible, long-stored fruit can develop poorly or not give roots at all,
- Frozen crest is not suitable for further use,
- Carefully inspect the top of the fruit. The leaves should be bright green, not dried, elastic, firm. If the leaves are damaged, the tips have dried or covered with dark spots, damaged or cut, then this fruit is not recommended for planting,
- To the touch the fruit should be elastic, the skin should be golden-green. Pineapple that has not ripened or overripe is not suitable for further use.
The optimal period for selecting and subsequent planting is considered to be the time from mid-summer to mid-autumn..
How to land a pineapple top at home
The most common method of growing pineapple is called getting a full-fledged seedling from a tuft at the top of the fruit. Fruit choose from fresh receipt of pineapples in the trading network. First of all, the fruit is suitable for us, which has the largest bunch of leaves on the top of the cone. The leaves should be green, without dried ends, not broken off and as little as possible rumpled. The fruit must be moderately ripe.
How can I cook planting material:
- Firmly grabbing the pineapple with one hand, with the other we begin to twist a bunch of leaves from the top of the cone with screw movements. Usually this manipulation is carried out together. If there is no partner, then it is possible to cut off the top of the cone with a bunch of leaves beforehand with a disinfected sharp knife. The remains of the pulp of the fruit as carefully as possible cut out, it is a necessary precaution, as when rooting the pulp can rot,
- 2-3 cm from the base gently remove the leaves. From this place in the future, roots should be formed, by analogy as in onions or garlic. It is advisable to sprinkle the cut with ground cinnamon or crushed charcoal.
- Suspend the prepared tip cut up for 7-8 days for drying. This is necessary for faster appearance of the roots,
- After the specified time, the top is placed cut down into a container with water until the roots appear. The container should be located in a warm and bright place. Capacity is desirable to choose a dark or additionally darken dark material. Water should be changed at least once every two days so that the water does not turn sour.
- Capacity for planting seedlings select a volume of about 0.5 liters, with drainage holes. The composition of the soil for seedlings should consist of equal parts of peat, sand and humus from the leaves. You can fill the container with a special soil for bromelium, which is already fully ready for use. The soil is pretreated with boiling water with potassium permanganate for maximum cleaning from possible diseases and pests.
- Sapling with grown roots is planted in a container with soil and a layer of drainage. The soil should be slightly wet. If the seedling has already been planted with roots, then it should not be covered, it only remains to control the soil moisture. If the seedling is not previously germinated in water, then the plant is covered with a cap to create a constant microclimate.
How to plant a sapling in the pot, we found out, it remains to wait until it takes root. If rooting is successful, new leaves will appear on the plant. From this point on, watering of the seedling should be carried out in a funnel so that the top is always wet.
Time for rooting of a seedling depends on compliance with all conditions for growing. Pineapple rooting can last 6-8 weeks. In the process of rooting the seedling, the remaining old leaves will gradually dry out and should be cut off. In their place there is a new green shoots. Gradually, all the old leaves will be replaced by new ones. During the first year, the plant is usually watered weekly.. After a year, the plant can be transplanted into a more spacious container. In the winter period, new leaves of the seedling do not appear, for the plant there comes a period when watering and additional feeding should be done much less often.
How to plant pineapple at home
Pineapple seedlings at home can grow in a pot of no more than 0.5 liters with drainage holes to drain excess water. A drainage layer is placed in the pot at the bottom, and the remaining volume is filled with soil, which includes peat, sand and humus in equal parts. Can be used special ready soil for plants from the Bromiliaceae family.
A 5–7 cm recess is made in the ground, for the size of the plant being planted, and a depth of 3–5 cm. To protect the seedling from rotting, crushed coal can be poured into the recess. Rotting can also occur due to excess moisture.
Planting seedlings should be carried out according to certain rules:
- The sapling along with the roots is placed in the recess strictly vertically, covered with soil and slightly compacted,
- In order to secure the plants along the edge of the tank, wooden or plastic pegs are placed,
- The sticks are fixed with the help of threads with the top of the seedling,
- The soil is slightly shed with water, too much wetting is not worth it,
- The seedling is covered on top with a film to create a certain microclimate,
- The container is placed in a well-lit and warm place.
Somewhere in 1-1.5 months, the sapling should be well rooted. When new leaves appear at the top, you can remove the film from the plant.
Rules for the care of pineapple seedlings
Pineapple seedling grown at home is easy enough. This plant is quite unpretentious, special care is not required. Under certain conditions, the plant will delight you with its good condition.
Temperature conditions. Pineapple heat and light-loving plant. The optimum temperature for the growth of pineapple should be maintained within 23-25C. In winter, the desired temperature should be maintained with additional heating devices. If the container with the plant is located on the windowsill, then it is worth protecting the plant from hypothermia and drafts.
Watering frequency. Since pineapple is a plant of tropical climate, it is perfectly adapted to the lack of moisture. Based on this, the plant should be watered as little as possible, the best option - once a week. In winter, the plant is at rest, so it should be watered even less often.
Watering can be done not only in the ground, but also directly in the leaves, so that the moisture is retained in the funnel.
Feeding frequency. Pineapple seedlings do not require frequent fertilizing. 1-2 times a year can be fed with any organic or complex fertilizer, which is recommended for indoor plants. Only in the third year it is recommended to feed frequently. It is necessary to enhance growth and prepare the plant for fruiting. Every 2-3 weeks the seedling can be fed organic fertilizers.
The best option for feeding is the mullein infusion, which contains all the trace elements necessary for the plant. To prepare the solution, you need a bucket of 10 l 1/3 filled with fresh manure, filled to the top with water and infused for 5-10 days. It is advisable to mix the solution periodically. After the fermentation process is completed, the finished solution is mixed with water: one part of the infusion and eight parts of water.
In addition, it is recommended to feed another element: carbide. To do this, 10-15 g of carbide is placed in a container with 1 liter of water. After completion of the process (when the bubbling stops) about 30 ml of the solution is poured into the funnel from the leaves. A day later, this feeding is repeated again. After 1-1.5 months, the peduncle should appear from the top of the seedling.
Lighting. For normal development and good growth pineapple seedling requires good lighting. With a lack of lighting, especially in the autumn-winter period, it is required to turn on a special lamp, which is placed at a distance of 20-25 cm from the plant.
With sufficient illumination, the sapling grows large and wide leaves, which on appearance have a light crimson color on the edge.
Transfer. As a plant grows, it is necessary to transplant it into a larger volume. Transplantation is usually done in the spring. For seedlings usually pick a pot low, but wide. This is necessary so that the roots of the plant develop well. The roots of the seedlings do not grow deep into the pot, but are in the upper soil layer. In addition, the wider the capacity, the better the soil aeration, which is important for the growth of seedlings.
Although pineapple is a tropical plant, it can be successfully grown by learning from this article how to plant pineapple at home. From the landing of the top of the pineapple in the ground before the appearance of a new fruit will take a long time. Under optimal conditions for plant growth, the fruit usually appears on the 4th year after planting. The fruit can reach a weight of 1.5 kg.