Currant is one of the most common berry crops in our latitudes. Valued gardeners for unpretentiousness in the care, lush, fragrant greens and delicious berries, rich in vitamins and microelements. For successful cultivation of crops should clarify how to deal with aphids on currants - a fairly common pest.
Aphids on currants: what the pest looks like
Aphid is a small insect (2-3 mm), settling on a currant, with a piercing-sucking mouth apparatus and two pairs of wings (winged individuals). The little body may have a light green, grayish-green or yellow-green color.
In spring, during the appearance of the first leaves, young insects hatch from overwintered eggs. Females quickly multiply without fertilization. Only female individuals are born. A colony of aphids is growing rapidly. When food becomes scarce, winged forms appear, migrating to neighboring bushes. In the fall males begin to be born. They fertilize females, and they lay eggs on the branches near the kidneys before the onset of cold weather.
What is dangerous, signs of the appearance of aphids in the currants
Before you learn how to get rid of aphids on currants, you need to find out how it harms the culture.
Insect proboscis pierces the foliage of currants and young branches to feed on plant sap.
A large colony of aphids inhibits currants, it begins to languish, fall behind in growth, does not bear fruit, and eventually dies. Also aphids, feeding on sap, can tolerate viral diseases dangerous for the plant.
With aphids affecting white and red currants, characteristic swellings (galls) are visible on the leaves and branches of reddish color, and on the black foliage twisted into a straw. It is necessary to begin the fight with gallic aphids as soon as possible.
How to process currants from aphids, chemicals
Aphids can be removed on currants using modern insecticides:
- Kinmiks and others.
When aphids are detected in a currant, control measures may include both chemical and folk remedies, but it is better to take care of preventionwhich is to:
- treating seedlings before planting and the land under the bushes with a solution of ammonia (3-5 drops per half liter of water),
- loosening the soil near the bushes and between them
- thorough cleaning of all plant residues at the end of the season,
- bringing natural enemies of aphids to the garden plot (small birds, ladybugs),
- planting near currant plants that scare away the pest (mint, parsley, onion, coriander, basil, tomatoes, garlic, dill, coriander, yarrow, tansy, marigolds).
How to deal with aphids on currants
The peak of pest activity occurs in May-June, while the aphid remains active throughout the summer period. It actively propagates and gradually populate the entire garden. The life cycle of an insect is:
- In the early spring, new individuals appear from the laid eggs,
- they begin to multiply rapidly, spreading in the garden more and more,
- the wingless form of pests occupies young, tender leaves, buds and shoots, pierces them with a proboscis and sucks the juice,
- when an excessive number of aphids occurs on a plant, it dries and dies, which makes it necessary to give birth to the winged form of pests,
- individuals fly to neighboring fruit bushes and continue to destroy the garden,
- in the fall, the aphids lay eggs that hatch next season.
The appearance of a pest in the garden is indicated by swollen, curled, reddened currant leaves.. If you turn the young leaves of the culture, clusters of larvae will be visible on the inside. As a rule, two varieties of aphids lodge in the garden, each of which prefers a certain sort of berries: gallic (leafy) - white and red, gooseberry (sprouting) - black. The table below shows the recommended pest control measures in different periods.
What is dangerous aphid
It feeds on the sap of young leaves and shoots, inhibiting currants, not allowing them to fully grow. The most juicy and promising parts of the plant are amazed, the bush withers, the berries dry and fall away.
A huge colony of pests, and aphid is also a carrier of more than 100 viral diseases, destroys the crop and causes the bushes to die.
What does a pest look like?
Aphids are 2-3 millimeter insects with a piercing-sucking oral cavity. Their color is light green, yellowish green and whitish, translucent.
Aphids eggs (oval, black, length 0.5 mm.) Winter in basal shoots, fallen leaves and shoots in the zone of leaf buds. In the spring, a little warm sun, begins active hatching. One overwintered female aphid will give birth to 100 individuals, and in two weeks each of these babies will give another 100.
It is easy to guess that reproduction is going on at an astounding pace, and during the growing season huge herds are formed, absorbing garden plants.
Garden ants also help them to winter, as we know, they are her companions and guards. Ants eat carbohydrate secretions of insects, help to move from branch to branch, and when the onset of cold weather, they lay their eggs in their nests. In the spring, on the contrary, they carry them to the branches and begin to milk their nurses.
The colony of aphids on one bush is very large, when there is little food, winged forms begin to hatch and be transferred to neighboring bushes, this happens closer to autumn.
Currants are attacked by two types of aphids: gallic (leaf) and gooseberry (shoots). The first settles on white and red views, the second spoils the black one. The means of combating one and the other are the same.
What do the affected bushes look like?
If you see a large number of ants near the currant bushes or on it, you know, aphid here as here. Inspect the bush and you will see the following signs:
- Reddish, brown swellings on the leaves are characteristic of red and white currants.
- Twisted young leaves are typical of black currant.
- Leaflets and shoots are sticky - another sign that aphid has settled.
- Many dry leaves, twigs, tassels with berries.
The currant, on which the aphids settle, stops in growth, it can be observed that the shoots grow poorly, they are bent, because the very tops are occupied and damaged.
What folk remedies help
Chemicals are used in the fight against aphids, but when we start worrying about the loss of the crop - correctly, in June. And then I do not want to poison the plant, it is desirable to save the berries, so as to boil jam and compotes.
Therefore, we will leave insecticides for autumn, and in the spring and summer we will try safe control measures - folk remedies. This is all kinds of infusions, decoctions of herbs and pharmaceutical preparations, cleaning products and food.
How to detect aphids on currants
Most often, a gallic aphid settles on currants - a small sucking insect. Aphids feed on young shoots and currant leaves. You can find a colony of pests on the bottom of a currant leaf. Red or yellow swellings are formed on the damaged leaves, and the galls are formed as hillocks.
Aphids parasitize during the season, wintering pest under the bark of annual shoots. The female lays eggs closer to the kidneys. In spring, when the weather is warm, the larvae come out and feed on young leaves.
Around the middle of July, when the currant leaves cease to grow, the aphids appear wings. At this point, the pest leaves the shrub. If there are a lot of weeds around the landings, the gallic aphid will move on them, where it will feed until autumn. During the season, more than one generation of pests is emerging, which in autumn, approximately in September, migrate back to the currant bush. Females begin laying eggs.
Gallic aphids on currant bushes are a big danger, especially for young plants. Loose shrubs affected by a large number of pests are unable to grow normally. The yield of adult bushes drops sharply, the berry shrinks.
How to deal with aphids on currant bushes
One of the important factors in the fight against gall aphids in currants is prevention. From early spring you need to carry out the main preventive measures:
• be sure to remove all weeds under the bushes,
• carry out sanitary pruning of the bush, cutting out all the diseased branches,
• attract beneficial insects that feed on gallic aphids, such as ladybugs,
• conduct spring scalding of the bush with boiling water.
Important!If ladybirds and a golden-eye dwelling on the currant bushes have settled, then insecticides should be used carefully. It is better to replace them with infusions of herbs. Beneficial insects will help to quickly get rid of aphids.
By attracting beneficial insects to the garden, you can get rid of gall aphids without resorting to chemicals. To attract insects experienced gardeners practice planting medicinal plants under currant bushes:
Many insects that are good for the garden prefer to live in dill or buckwheat plantations.
How to get rid of aphids on currants: fumigating garden
Very often one of the methods of dealing with aphids is fumigating the garden. Experienced gardeners practice fumigation with rubber, tobacco and fungus.
It is necessary to carry out fumigation before bud break, at the time of their disclosure.
• Fumigation with rubber is carried out as follows: put a bush of rubber in the old pan and put it under the currant bush.
• Fumigation with tobacco and fungus with a raincoat is carried out with the help of beekeeper’s smoker.
It is necessary to fumigate a garden not less than three hours. This should be done in the evening, in calm weather. Aphids die completely, there is no need to use chemicals.
The downside of this method is acrid smoke, which is bad for human health.
Fighting aphids on currants: treating bushes with chemicals
To get rid of the colonies of gallic aphids in the currants will help chemicals that need to be applied in several stages. Use chemicals only in advanced cases and massive attacks of pests.
1. The first spraying of currants is carried out in the spring, at the time of bud break.
2. The second time you need to process when flowering shrubs.
3. Spray currants a third time better immediately after flowering.
4. The last treatment should be carried out only after full harvest.
How to treat currants from gallic aphids?
For treatments using chemicals that are dissolved in water. Well proven such drugs:
• Actellic (dilute 15 ml per 10 liters of water),
• Novaktion (dilute 5 ml per 10 liters of water).
Many summer residents recommend resorting to folk remedies during the second and third spraying, without applying chemicals.
Folk remedies in the fight against aphids on currants
Using folk remedies in the fight against aphids, you can get rid of the pest, not interrupting the beneficial insects. For these purposes, use the following infusions:
• Infusion of red hot pepper,
• Infusion of tomato tops,
• Infusion of onions and garlic,
• Ash infusion with a wormwood,
• A solution of soda ash,
1. Tobacco infusion
Prepare an infusion of tobacco dust or tobacco, with the addition of soap and water. To do this, 500 grams of tobacco dust is poured with 10 liters of water and infused mixture for several days. The finished infusion is filtered, diluted with 10 liters of water and 100 grams of grated household soap is added as an adhesive.
Spraying is carried out in the evening, in clear weather. After the rain, repeat the treatment.
2. Infusion of marigolds
Very effective in the fight against gallic aphids marigold infusion, which is prepared from dried flowers. At 10 liter bucket take ½ of the crushed marigolds, which are filled with warm water. Insist the mixture for three days. The finished solution is decanted and 50 grams of grated soap is added.
3. Infusion of red hot pepper
Prepare concentrated infusion can of red capsicum. To do this, 1 kg of fresh pepper should be cut and folded into a saucepan, pour 10 liters of cold water. Boil the mixture and simmer for 1 hour. The cooled solution is removed in a warm place for a few days. The finished solution is filtered and stored in the cold.
For spraying of the concentrate prepare the working solution. For 10 liters of water use 1 cup of concentrate. It is possible to add grated laundry soap to the solution.
Important!Ready working solution and red hot pepper are used not only in the fight against aphids. It is good to use against slugs.
4. Tomato infusion
From tomato tops you get a good infusion to fight with gall aphids on currants. To do this, dry tops of tomatoes, about 2 kg, and fresh tops of 4 kg are crushed, pouring 10 liters of water. The mixture is boiled for 30 minutes. The resulting concentrate is cooled and stored in the cold. Before spraying prepare the working solution. For this concentrate diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 5, adding grated laundry soap.
Important!The working solution of their concentrate of tomato tops can be used to combat ticks, shovels, moths, cruciferous flea and gooseberry sawfly.
5. Infusion of onions and garlic
Experienced gardeners are advised to spray currants infusion of green onion feathers. To do this, 1 kg of chopped green onions pour 10 liters of water, infuse the mixture for 6 hours. Strain the ready solution and spray it.
You can use pre-prepared onion peel. For this 500 gr. husks insist in 10 liters of water for about 5 days.
Garlic infusion has proven itself well. For its preparation, 0.5 kg of minced garlic is poured with 5 liters of water. Insist the mixture during the day. Ready infusion is used for its intended purpose.
Important!Infusions of onion and garlic not only fight against pests on the currants, but also increase the immunity of plants.
6. Ash infusion with a wormwood
Affected currant bushes are treated with aphids ash solution with the addition of wormwood. To do this, 500 grams of crushed wormwood is filled with water, about 5 liters, adding 1 cup of ash and 50 grams of soap. Mixture insist about 5 hours. Spraying is carried out with a working solution, which is prepared from 1 part of infusion and 2 parts of water.
7. Soda Ash Solution
Treat currants against aphids can be a solution of soda. Prepare a working solution of 1 tbsp. l soda ash and 1 liter of water.
Spraying with this solution will help to get rid of not only the aphids, but also banish the fungus from the shrub.
8. Infusion of celandine
Summer residents are fighting with aphids with infusion celandine. Prepare a solution of 4 kg of fresh celandine grass, which is crushed and poured with 10 liters of water. Insist the solution need a day. Ready solution spend spraying currant bushes.
Important!During the treatment of planting currant solution of celandine it is necessary to use individual protection, as the juice of celandine is very poisonous.
What to consider when processing currants from gall aphids
• The young shoots of currants are good to bend, you can dip them in any recipe-prepared product and wash them well, without the risk of breaking the branch.
• It is necessary to spray and wash each branch without missing a single section of the bush.
• It is necessary to spray not only the bush, but also the soil under it.
• The weather during processing should be windless. Using chemicals, watch out for bees. It is important not to poison the beneficial insects, which are very necessary in the garden. It is better to transfer the spraying to the evening, when the bees no longer fly.
• When spraying it is necessary to moisten the lower part of the sheet, for this purpose the sprayer is directed inside the bush.
• It is not necessary to pin high hopes on the popular ways of dealing with aphids on currants, if time is lost and the pest chose roses, plums and gooseberries. In such a situation, the use of chemicals is indispensable.
In the fight against aphids on currants, it is important to monitor the cleanliness of the site, to prevent the riot of weeds and the neighborhood of shrubs with anthills. Often spend preventive spraying infusions of herbs, monitor the density of the bush and in time cut the diseased branches.
How to detect aphids on currant bushes
Inexperienced beginners find it difficult to recognize pests on currant bushes, because insects are in no hurry to find their location, hiding between leaves, in internodes and even on fruits. Currants should be carefully examined during the whole warm season, but at the end of May and the beginning of summer it is especially careful - at this time the aphid is active and tries to populate new territories.
The main symptom of aphids is a large accumulation of ant families near the currant. Beginning gardeners believe that ants eat pests, and diligently protect black "helpers." Do not be mistaken and make a gross mistake - the ants feed on the sweet juice expelled by the aphids, and diligently care for their “flock”. Внимательно присмотревшись к жизни насекомых на смородине, можно увидеть, что муравьи даже помогают тле перебираться на здоровые сочные побеги. Прежде, чем избавиться от тли, нелишним будет прогнать с участка и добровольных «охранников».
In addition to the accumulation of ants near the currant bushes, there are several more signs of aphids appearing on plants:
- reddish bloating on the leaves (usually white or red currant),
- rolled leaves (black currant),
- sticky liquid on the branches and leaves,
- young shoots stop growth and development.
Finding the right signs of the appearance of pests, you must immediately take up their destruction, using proven tools.
The basic rules for the use of self-made compositions:
- It is better to go to fight with aphids in the evening hours - some mixtures under the influence of sunlight can lose their properties or harm currants.
- Despite the security of most folk remedies, it is better to protect your hands with gloves and your face with a mask.
- You should not experiment with compositions and add your own components - in the absence of experience you can easily destroy the bushes.
- The weather must be windless and dry - the wind gusts will complicate the processing, and the rain will simply wash away the mixture destroying aphids.
Another little secret that will help to fight with aphids - you can apply a complex method using several means at once (this can be a mechanical effect, spraying, fumigation).
The use of infusions - an effective way to expel aphids from the currants
The production of a destructive liquid for pests is almost the same - chop the raw material, fill it with water and withstand the necessary time, occasionally vigorously mixing the mass. The finished product remains to filter, and you can go to fight insects, pozarivshimi favorite currants.
It has been observed that the aphid reacts sensitively to some species of plants, preferring to get out of the treated bushes. The smell of potatoes quickly banish pests, and it does not matter what was used for the preparation of the infusion - fresh greens or dry tops. Pour the crushed raw material with warm water (take the components of the product in equal parts), wait 3-4 hours. After filtration, you can start spraying currants.
Infusion of onions - A real magic wand, if the pests were not detected on time and settled throughout the bush. Three treatments are enough for the aphid to forget the road to the currant for a long time. 200-300 gr. chop unpeeled onions, fill with a bucket of water. Wait a day, you can spray the bushes affected by aphids.
Not bad himself in the fight against aphids has proven wood ash decoction. In a bucket of water, add 5-7 handfuls of ash, boil, leave for 2 hours. Add a quarter bar of household dark soap (pre-rub). Spray currant bushes.
Often used against insects tobacco infusion. 200-350 gr. crushed tobacco leaves pour boiling water (5 l). Capacity to close tightly and send infuse. When completely cool, filter and process the bushes.
How to properly fumigate against aphids
Fumigation for the destruction of aphids - the process is rather time-consuming, but effective. The most effective is tobacco smoke - one treatment is enough to drive out the pests.
Put a small pile of straw near the currant bushes (if it is dry, it is better to moisten it - there will be more smoke). On top of the straw must be put 2-5 kg of tobacco leaves, also raw. Burn the straw, fire support for at least an hour. In the absence of straw, you can use the branches of bird cherry, celandine stems.
Boiling water against aphids - can a pest survive in extreme conditions?
Boiling water is usually used in early spring, even before the snow melts and the buds swell on the currants. Aphid eggs are laid near the kidneys, you can arm yourself with a magnifying glass and find tiny dots on the shoots - these are future gardener's enemies.
For processing one currant bush may need up to a bucket of water. Bring the liquid to a boil and immediately go to the plants (the water cools down a little on the way). Pour boiling water into a metal watering can and pour over all shoots, especially watering the tree trunk circle.
When scalding currants need to make sure that boiling water comes in thin streams - a wide stream can damage the plant.
Another advantage of boiling water is that it will perfectly protect currants from powdery mildew.
Use of aphid chemicals
If folk remedies for aphids are powerless, and pests continue to destroy currants, do not do without chemicals. The main rule of their use is that at least a crescent must pass between the processing and the beginning of the harvest.
Among the effective drugs against malicious pests can be identified:
- Actellic (one ampoule is enough for 2 liters of water, but with a large number of pests you can make the solution more concentrated),
- Aktar (per liter of water you need only 1-1.5 grams. Insecticide, the dosage is not recommended to exceed),
- Kinimiks (drug ampoule goes to the bucket of water).
Often, the use of an aggressive solution is enough to aphid disappeared from the currant bushes, but if young insects are found during re-examination, the insecticide is reapplied.
Mechanical way to deal with aphids
If the pest is detected in a timely manner, and did not manage to occupy the entire bush, it is quite possible to stop attempts to settle on the currant, without resorting to spraying or fumigating. The main thing is to carefully examine the whole plant, without missing a single leaf or escape.
Adult insects are easy to detect - they are usually collected on shoots or the bottom of leaves. If there are quite a lot of pests, you will not be able to remove them with your hands, it is better to arm yourself with a sharp shears and ruthlessly remove all branches with pests. With a small amount of aphids, it is enough to tear off the leaves with insects, and to collect individual specimens hiding on the shoots by hand.
Prepare it easy:
- Grate or use a sharp knife to turn a bar of dark soap into small pieces.
- Pour soapy crumb a few liters of warm water.
- Stir vigorously until the crumb disappears.
Carefully spray the bush without worrying about the fruit - the soap solution is completely safe for humans.
There are a lot of preventive measures, you can choose any option:
- plant dill or carrots near the currant - their smell attracts the tombiter, which is the main enemy of aphids and gladly destroys the pest,
- regularly carry out the processing of the garden of ants,
- plant thyme or fragrant lavender between currants - the smell of aphids does not tolerate them and tries to get away,
- the distance between bushes and tree circles sprinkle with sawdust - here ear grinder that feeds on aphids likes to settle,
- hang birdhouses all over the garden - some birds are malicious enemies of pests.
For prophylaxis, you can also use any plant infusion - it is enough to process currant bushes several times per season to protect plants from tiny insects.
It is not necessary to give pests a single chance - you should start fighting against insects immediately after detection. Folk proven tools are no less effective than aggressive drugs, especially if used in a timely manner, without waiting for the plant louse to spread throughout the currant tree. Plants will certainly thank for such care rapid growth and excellent harvest.
How to detect a pest on a plant?
Most often the currant affects gallic aphid. This is a small insect that feeds on young leaves, shoots and plant juices. Find a colony of this pest is quite simple. Need to look under the leaves of currants. If they are affected, then on the bottom of the leaf plate you can see the bumps and swellings, painted in red or yellow. These formations are called galls. They are pest colonies.
Gallic aphid usually appears on the currant at the very beginning of the warm season. Such an early appearance is explained by the fact that this pest winters under the bark of annual branches of the plant. Or rather, his eggs hibernate, which are closer to the fall next to the buds of the aphids.
With the arrival of the first warm days, larvae emerge from the eggs, which immediately begin to feed on young leaves.
Young aphid becomes on the wing in the middle of July. Currant leaves stop growing by this time. After the appearance of the wings, the pest leaves the currant and moves to the next weeds. So, it will stay and multiply until autumn.
For the remainder of the cold weather, more than one generation of gallic aphids appears. All of them in September will certainly return to the currants, where they will lay their eggs under the bark of annual shoots.
Gallic aphid is a common cause of the death of young plants. The fact is that young shoots affected by this pest are not capable of normal development and eventually dry out. This pest is also dangerous for adult currant bushes, because it leads to the grinding of berries and a significant drop in yield.
Fighting aphids on currants can take on various forms. One of them is fumigation of plants with smoke from burning rubber, tobacco and mushrooms.
It should be remembered that such treatment should be carried out before the appearance of the first leaves.
Fumigation is carried out as follows:
- When using rubber, the starting material should be placed in an old saucepan and ignited. Under each currant bush should be set to one such pan.
- Tobacco and a dry mushroom are kindled in a beekeeping smoke and bypass all plants with it.
The main disadvantage of this method of dealing with gallic aphids is that it can be carried out only in calm weather. But in case of successful fumigation, all the louse dies, which eliminates the need to use heavy artillery - chemical preparations.
It is necessary to fumigate currant bushes on average 3 hours. It is best to choose for this procedure evening time. And be sure to protect the respiratory system. Acrid smoke can have a negative effect on health.
Use of chemicals
Treating currants from aphids with chemicals is a radical, but very effective way of dealing with a pest. It allows you to get rid of insects in the shortest possible time and prevents their subsequent return within a year.
Experienced gardeners recommend not to get involved in the use of chemicals. This is an extreme measure and it is best to resort to a massive attack of currants by pests.
Spraying of chemicals is carried out in several stages:
- Spring processing. You need to carry it out at the time of the first leaflets.
- Summer processing. The best time for her - the period of flowering currants.
- After completion of flowering need to re-process.
- Autumn processing. It is carried out exclusively after the harvest.
The following water-soluble chemicals are best for controlling gall aphids:
- Actellic. The ampoule of this drug is diluted in 10 liters of water.
- Novaktion. In 10 liters of water dilute no more than 5 ml of this tool.
By the way, experienced gardeners recommend replacing the 2nd and 3rd spraying by treating the plants with folk remedies for pest control on currants.
Folk methods of dealing with gallic aphids
What are such good tools? First of all, the fact that they do not destroy the beneficial insects. The following folk remedies are considered to be the most effective in the fight against aphids on currants:
- Tobacco Infusion. It can be prepared from ordinary cigarettes or shag. For the manufacture of infusion you need to take 500 grams of tobacco dust and pour it with a dozen liters of water. The mixture should be left in a dark place for a day. After this, the infusion is filtered, diluted with another ten liters of water and 100 g of soap is added to it. It is the best of all to use the made means in the evening in 2 stages.
- Marigold infusion. To prepare this infusion, you need to take the dry flowers of the plant and pour 10 liters of warm water. The mixture should be infused for 3 days. After this, the infusion should be filtered through gauze and add 50 g of grated soap to it.
- Broth Red Hot Pepper. For its preparation, you will need to purchase 1 kg of fresh pepper, finely chop it, put in a large container and pour over ten liters of cold water. After that, the container should be put on the fire and boil for 1 hour. Then, you need to put the broth for a few days in a warm place. After this period, the finished should be drained and stored in the cold. This is a concentrate. To prepare the working solution you need to dilute 1 cup of broth in a dozen liters of water with the addition of grated laundry soap.
- Tomato decoction. To get it you need to chop 4 kg of fresh tomato tops and pour 10 liters of water. Then the mixture should be thoroughly boiled for 30 minutes. At the exit the concentrate for preparation of working solution will be received. To make the last you need to dilute 1 part of the concentrate in 5 parts of water. It is worth knowing that this tool is suitable not only to combat aphids, but also to get rid of ticks, moths, cruciferous flea and other pests.
- Infusion of green onions or garlic. To prepare it you need to take 1 kg of onion or garlic feathers and pour a dozen liters. The resulting mixture should be infused for 6 hours. After this, the infusion should be filtered. This tool not only effectively destroys pests, but also enhances the immunity of currants.
- Infusion of ash and wormwood. This is an effective means of getting rid of aphids on currants. For its preparation, you need to take 500 g of fresh wormwood, mix with one glass of wood ash and 50 g of soap chips. All this needs to be poured over five liters of warm water and set aside for 5 hours. The resulting concentrate should be used to prepare the working solution in the following proportions: 1 part of the solution to 2 parts of water.
- Infusion of celandine. This herb copes well with aphids. To prepare the infusion you need to take 4 kg of this plant and pour them with 10 liters of water. Infusion ripens within 4 days. After that, it can be used for spraying currant bushes. When using this tool, the grower must protect his body. The fact is that the infusion of celandine is extremely poisonous and can cause serious burns if it comes in contact with the skin.
What to look for while dealing with aphids?
You can only get rid of the pest. when taking into account the following important points:
- Young branches of currants can be easily bent. That is, the shoots can be immersed without harming them in a container with a means against aphids.
- If the decision was made to dip the branches in the treatment solution, then all shoots without exception should be treated in this way.
- When spraying, it is necessary to treat not only the plant itself, but also the soil under it and around it.
- When spraying currants need to ensure that there are no bees on it. Otherwise, these beneficial insects will die during processing. Actually, for this reason, it is recommended to carry out processing in the evening, when the bees return to their hives.
- When spraying need to handle both surfaces of the leaves. To do this, the spout of the sprayer should be directed inside the bush at different levels.
- Do not try to use only folk remedies to combat aphids, if this pest is very much. They will be ineffective. There will have to rely on heavy artillery - chemicals.
The appearance of gallic aphids on currants is not a sentence for a plant. You can successfully fight a pest if you find it in time. But it is better not to allow the appearance of aphids in garden crops. Especially since this is easy to achieve. You only need to devote time to prevention.
One liter jar of dried husk pour 2-3 liters of water and boil. Leave to insist for a day or two. Then strain, add 1 tablespoon of liquid or laundry soap and double the volume of the liquid.
Two large heads of garlic skip through a meat grinder and dissolve in a bucket of warm water. Spray filtered infusion every other day.
Half a bucket of fresh grass of celandine or 200 grams of pharmacy, dry fill with a bucket of water. Insist for two days and filter, then sprinkle currants from aphids.
The more effective is the method with non-food soda, only it should be diluted in warm water, since it is calcined in cold water. The composition is prepared as follows:
- 2 tablespoons soda ash
- 1 teaspoon iodine
- 2 tbsp. l household or liquid soap shavings
- 10 liters of water
When and how to process
Spraying broths and infusions can be carried out throughout the growing season, one time just is not enough. A more convenient time of day for work is evening. Choose dry and windless weather so that the precipitations do not wash out the residuals of the funds, and the wind does not prevent the liquid jets from reaching their destination.
Tip! Processing is best done from a small spray gun, so you can spray the bushes from the bottom to the top, grab the most affected places, and also roll out and pour the curled leaves on the black currant.
They will be useful in order not to provoke or feed the aphids at the site, because you need to deal with this pest systematically and regularly. It is not enough to spray a bush once and forget about aphid forever. This parasite can remind about itself.
- Каждый год собирайте и сжигайте опавшие листья, вырезайте корневую поросль и волчки (это жировые побеги, которые растут на старых ветках). Именно здесь зимует тля в больших количествах.
- Перекапывайте и рыхлите осенью приствольное пространство.
- Look for ant nests in the fall and spring, immediately after the snow melted, destroy them with boiling water, store tools and insecticides will do.
- Cut out twisted twigs that have suffered from aphids and burn them, and in the fall also look for eggs on others - dots, clean them and process them.
- At the base of the branch, whitewash with lime or a solution of ferrous sulfate (see instructions).
- Spread for aphids are plants that serve as shelter, but not food (they usually eat the specimens we need) - this is viburnum, mallow, kosmeya, nasturtium, linden, corn. Try to reduce their numbers in the area, or plant them in remote corners, because they can begin to infect the entire garden: apples, pears, plums, bushes, cucumbers.
- In order to have ladybugs, hoverflies and earwigs in the garden, put feeding troughs with large shavings, bark, straw in the cabin where they spend the winter, and in the spring they will start aphid.
- Plant near or lay out (cook infusions) with mint, lavender, thyme, lupine, sage, clover, sweet clover, dill, carrot.
Try to keep the currant bushes and other plants in the garden in a tidy, healthy state, timely identify and fight against parasites, which are also carriers of viruses, fungi. Do not give crops to pests.