I am a landscape designer, I have been involved in this business for many years. Ka shows practice, it is not enough for the client to simply develop a project and plant on the plant site. We must also explain how to keep it all in the same beautiful and stylish way - even without resorting to the services of professional gardeners.
Therefore, besides the design itself, I began to study floristics. As it turned out, many of those plants that are involved in the landscape design of a classical school are difficult to care for. These are not the shrubs that can sometimes be watered and slightly changed shape - these are plants that need to be watched every day. Otherwise they will either die or become weeds.
In this article I will tell you about one of the most beautiful options for shrubs for the design of any site - home, garden, office, shop or cafe. If you have ever been in Europe, then you probably met Forchun's euonymus at every step. There, this plant is planted along roads and hedges, they are decorated with cities, towns and private houses.
The creeping, evergreen shrub is just great for creating such live carpet or curb tapes. Initially this plant is wild. And now it can be found in the valleys and on the banks of rivers. The plant is rather “independent” and not capricious, therefore Europeans began to decorate their houses and cities with them for a long time.
Unfortunately, landscape design culture was born later in the CIS countries, therefore, at this time, Forchun's euonymus is just beginning to appear in the cities of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.
So, Forchun's euonymus is actually called in Latin Euonymus fortunei. These words are rooted in ancient Greece. The name can be translated as "glorious plant" or "plant with a good name."
They attribute it to the family of the Eskolettes. Deciduous, shrub euonymus is a natural decoration of the earth. Forchun's euonymus with green carpets covers the banks of rivers and the valleys of China, its homeland.
The shrubs themselves are very low - height rarely exceeds 60 centimeters. But in width, Forchun's euonymus expands by several meters - precisely because of this, it creates the effect of a living carpet.
In the process of growth, the stalks of a plant come into contact with the ground and instantly start so-called “adventitious” roots - they quickly root and thus securely fix the plant. If the stems do not lie on the ground, then they can be used as a hedge. The plant itself literally clings to different supports and fixes itself.
The leaves are the pride of this plant. Small, all a few centimeters long, elliptical leaves densely sit on the stems. They are a beautiful, noble shade of green.
Of course, those eosklety that today most often plant in gardens are hybrids specially bred in breeding factories. Over the years, such works have been created a lot, so we will tell only about the most popular.
They can differ in almost everything - the color of foliage, the height of the shrub itself, winter hardiness and other characteristics.
- Emerald Gold - height very rarely reaches even 30 centimeters. But he has very beautiful leaves - they are emerald in themselves, and gold is cast at the edges. In autumn, the leaves turn golden in full - it looks extraordinarily beautiful. The variety is winter-hardy, even in great frosts.
- Emerald Gaiety is another dwarf euonymus. Bushes with a height of 20 centimeters are very compact - they can even be planted in an apartment. Most of the year, emerald green leaves become pinkish in autumn. It does not carry frost well, it is better to plant in warm areas.
- Silver Queen is another small shrub up to 20 centimeters. The leaves are the same as in the previous variety, but this one is especially strong and quickly growing in width. It winters well.
- SunSpot is a good option if you do not need a tape or a carpet, but simply bushes - this variety does not grow at all, but it creates very beautiful small bushes.
- Vegetus is even lower than its predecessors shrub - the height does not even reach 15 centimeters. It grows in width very quickly, it is suitable for living carpets - and its creation almost does not require human participation. The leaves are dark green with white veins, the shape is oval.
- Emerald Gold Emerald Gaiety Silver Queen Minimus (Baby) is the smallest species, bush height - 5 centimeters. Also has small leaves and thin shoots. Despite the modest size, very necessary in the design of the plant - you can make beautiful slides and rockeries.
- Coloratus is a medium-sized species, height - about 40 centimeters. Well rises to the top and clings to the supports.
- Canadale Gold - the highest grade, reaches 60 centimeters. The leaves are very light, almost white, with multi-colored splashes. It grows in shaded places.
- Euonymus of any species is very easy to breed simply by vegetative means. That is, scions or cuttings. Both those, and others perfectly take root in our climate and do not demand difficult leaving.
- First of all, choose a place - it should be illuminated, but not in direct sunlight - they are just harmful and can dry the plant.
- Soils are suitable fertile, slightly wet. Too much water can kill a flower, so swampy soils are first put in order.
- Then you need to dig a simple landing hole. Land the plants, immediately bury, tamp the ground and lightly pour.
Watering - eskerlets do not like high humidity, so it is not necessary to part with watering. The soil should be slightly wet, but not wet. In the cold season, you can water the shrub once every two or three weeks, in the dry and hot summer - once a week at the root. It is better to warm the water in advance in the sun and pour it right under the root.
Sometimes it is necessary to feed the plant - mostly in spring and autumn. Absolutely any of the complexes that are sold in any specialty store.
To save the landscape from weeds and contribute to the growth Forchuny can, if regularly mulch the soil. This will significantly improve the structure of the soil.
Pruning can and should be done in two cases. The first is to regularly clean dry, diseased or broken branches. The second is shortening the shoots that are too long so that the shrub is a beautiful, regular shape.
Most species of euonymus tolerate winter well and do not need any special care. In cold weather, the shrub covers the snow and that is enough, even if it is -25 in the region.
Unfortunately, this plant is not very successfully resists pests. But to make it so that they never appeared is not very difficult - periodically treat plants with fungicides. Strictly adhere to the instructions for the drug, do not increase the dosage.
Use in landscape design
There are several ways to use this shrub in the landscape. Consider the most popular:
- As a hedge or green edging along paths,
- As an element of the composition of plants,
- Small varieties can be planted in large pots and put where you think it is suitable,
- Some varieties can be used for vertical gardening,
- Stylization under the alpine gardens or ascetic Japanese gardens,
Any eoskleta well combined with needles or other shrubs. They are also good in compositions, but you have to be careful with the choice of other colors. In general, it is one of the best plants for a smooth site design.
Forchun's euonymus - description and grade
Evergreen shrub found in nature in China, however, it is successfully used and grown to decorate gardens in regions with colder climates. The plant withstands winter frosts up to -25 degrees.
Forchun's euonymus is distinguished by numerous creeping shoots that are covered with beautiful shiny, elliptical leathery leaves up to four centimeters long. Leaf color depends on the type of plant:
- Forchun Emerald's Euonymus Haiti is a compact shrub up to twenty centimeters high. Its green, ovate, rough leaves up to two centimeters in length are distinguished by a white border.
- Sanspot is a slowly growing dense shrub up to twenty centimeters high, with stems covered with ovoid leaves up to two centimeters long. A special feature of the leaves is a narrow golden ellipse located along the axial vein.
- Forchun Emerald Gold's euonymus - a plant up to thirty centimeters widespread among gardeners is distinguished by bright emerald leaves with a yellow-golden edging. In autumn, the foliage of the plant becomes red-brown. Holly leaves in length grow to two centimeters.
- Variety Baby got its name for its miniature size. It has thin, filiform shoots and elliptical, entire leaflets just one centimeter long.
- Euonymus Vegetus is a small shrub with rounded large leaves and thick shoots. Dark green dull leaves are distinguished by white veins and border.
- Grazilis variety - a shrub with shoots up to one and a half meters in length, on which grow yellow leaves. Over time, the middle of the leaves turns red, and the edges turn white.
- Euonymus The Silver Queen is a creeping shrub whose stems are between fifty and eighty centimeters long. As a result, the crown of the plant eventually reaches more than a meter in diameter. It has bright green with white border leaves, which are distinguished by the fact that with the onset of cold weather, the white border acquires a pink sheen.
Planting shrubs in open ground
Plant a plant in the garden can be both in spring and autumn. To do this, choose a well-lit area on which the sun's rays fall in the first half of the day. The midday hot sun can cause brown spots on the leaves and yellow foliage. If the light is not enough, then the decorative leaves will disappear. They will just turn green.
For planting in open ground is recommended to use three-year seedlings. On their roots and bark there should not be traces of rotting, growths and microcracks.
Experienced gardeners recommend plant eoskletov in the garden from the 20th of April to the tenth of May, after the warm weather has established and the soil warms up well.
For planting shrubs need a neutral, drained, moisture-absorbing soil. It can be prepared from the following ingredients:
- sand - 1 part,
- turf ground - part 1,
- humus - 3 parts
- leaf earth - 5 parts.
For planting seedlings, a pit is dug, the dimensions of which should be twice the volume of the roots of the plant. The bottom of the hole is filled with expanded clay, gravel or another drainage layer of fifteen centimeters. Prepared soil mix piled up for drainage, after which a bush is placed on it along with a clod of earth. The root collar does not need to be buried. The roots are filled with nutrient soil and poured water. In order to retain moisture in the soil, the tree trunk circle is recommended to cover with mulch, as which you can use peat or dry sawdust.
Care of euonymus
The plant is drought tolerant, so if it rains regularly in summer, you will not need to water it. In dry weather, eucerlets watered four to six times a season, moistening every square meter around the plants with thirty liters of water. It is also necessary to provide shrubs with water for the winter, for which they are watered in the second half of October. If it rains in the fall, watering is not required.
After watering, a hard crust can form on the soil, which prevents air from reaching the roots. In order to remove it, it is recommended to periodically loosen the soil around the bushes.
In the care of euonymus necessarily include feeding. In the spring, shrubs are fertilized with organic matter, using for this purpose poultry manure diluted in water or bone meal. During budding the plants are fed with mineral fertilizers. Thirty grams of superphosphate and ten grams of potassium salt are added to the soil around each plant.
In the spring before the onset of the vegetative season, formative shrubs are carried out on the bushes. If you cut the shoots during the season, the plant will be restored for a long time. After flowering, you can pinch the tops and cut weak shoots.
When caring for euonymus young plants up to the age of three for the winter is recommended to cover. To do this, you can use sackcloth or dry foliage, which bushes fall asleep completely. To prevent the roots from freezing in the plants, sprinkle the tree trunk with dry leaves or sawdust.
Reproduction by cuttings
Cuttings shrubs they propagate in June or July, cutting off half-woody shoots early in the morning or in cloudy weather. It is not recommended to harvest cuttings in the heat, as under the scorching sun moisture evaporates from them.
For reproduction the plant is used not younger than five years old. Each stalk should have one or two internodes and a length of eight to ten centimeters. The lower cut should be done below the kidney at an angle, and the top - perpendicular above the kidney. From the bottom, the segment is processed by Kornevin or another root former.
Planted cuttings in containers filled with a wet mixture of sand and peat. Landings cover with a film and expose to a well-lit place, where direct sunlight does not fall. Rooting air temperature cuttings should be from +20 to +25 degrees. Care for them is a moderate watering of the soil and daily ventilation plantings.
Approximately one and a half to two months later, a root system is formed on the cuttings and it will be possible to plant them on a seed bed in open ground for growing.
Reproduction by layering
During the season, nodules appear on the shoots of the creeping plant, on which roots form over time. The stalks can be bent to the ground and sprinkled with soil.. If the shoots of the plant grow around the support, then the lower branch is selected. For her, a small groove is pulled out near the bush, in which the cuttings are placed and ground with earth. During the season, the soil above the twig should be regularly moistened. When the layering will give roots, they are separated from the main bush and planted in a permanent place.
The root system of creeping shrubs lies shallow, so they can be successfully propagated by dividing the bush. Plants can even not completely dig, but just gently with a shovel to cut off part of the rhizome. Delenka will need to dig, cut off the shoots to two-thirds of the length and plant a bush on a previously prepared garden bed.
Diseases and pests of euonymus
Thickened landing, the increased content of nitrogen in the soil and waterlogging of the soil can lead to the defeat of the shrub with powdery mildew. The disease is manifested by the appearance on the leaves of white plaque. Plant treatment is carried out with the help of Fundazole, Topaz or other fungicides.
Another dangerous fungal disease for Euonymus is stem rot, the appearance of which leads to the death of the plant. The affected areas should be removed and the bushes treated with fungicidal agents. As a preventive measure, at the end of spring planting are treated with a solution of boron mixture.
Among the pests, euonymlets may affect:
- spider mites,
Caterpillars and their nests are removed manually. From the mealybug, the plants are treated with Flyoverm, Condior, or Aktar. Spider mite and aphids can be destroyed with the help of Actellic's solution.
Forchun's euonymus in landscape design
Variegated ground cover shrubs polluted air is well tolerated, therefore, they are used for gardening not only gardens, but also city alleys and parks. Plants are planted in dense groups, decorating paths, flower beds, lawns. With the help of decorative leaves and dense plantings, you can hide communications and various defects of the site.
Creeping euonymlets are great for creating rock garden or compositions in the garden. They can be used as a background for plants that bloom at different times, thereby creating a lush, bright flower bed in the middle of the garden.
Shrubs will look good with junipers, the greens which will emphasize the beauty of the leaves of euonymus. Multicolored leaves will stand out and at the same time emphasize the beauty of blooming phloxes that can be planted among the bushes.
A lush and unusual composition on the plot can be created by planting together an euonymus, spirea, periwinkle, barberry. The paths can be decorated with decorative leaves of the shrub, planted against the background of beautiful flowering tree peonies.
Euonymus can be planted near the stone steps, gazebos, garden furniture or decorate with their help the banks of reservoirs.
Species with long shoots designers willingly used to decorate the walls. Branches with variegated, beautiful leaves cover the outbuildings and storage of waste. To keep the shoots, they are prepared for the supports, which will catch the aerial roots.
Evergreen decorative leafy shrub бересклет Форчуна с каждым годом все больше пользуется популярность у ландшафтных дизайнеров. Садоводы охотно высаживают растение у себя на участке еще и потому, что бересклеты отличаются простотой в уходе и легко размножаются.
Бересклет разновидности применение в культуре
Euonymus represents plants between deciduous and evergreen species. In nature, found in the undergrowth of the middle belt, sometimes in the tropics. Used in culture for landscape gardening. Decorative effect is in the autumn color of the leaf blade, hanging earrings bright inedible seeds. Cultural forms lost their height, dwarf varieties appeared.
As examples of various forms of euonymus, consider several of the hundreds of species:
- European euonymus, represents a low tree or a bush, in the autumn purple with orange ear rings of fruits,
- winged spindle tree, a bush of 2 meters, grows wild in the form of underbrush in the Far East, red in autumn,
- Forchuna, creeping ground cover shrub with motley leathery leaves, the birthplace of China,
- Japanese evergreen shrub that can grow at home and is used to grow bonsai trees.
The reproduction of euonymus in natural conditions occurs due to the transfer of seeds by birds. The berries are poisonous to humans, but they serve as food for the birds during the winter months.
In cultural conditions, it is easier to propagate by root layers and cuttings from spring - classical methods. To do this, in the spring woody cuttings rooted in the greenhouse, planting developed plants in the ground in August.
An easy way of breeding is rooting branches in prikopa. Since euonymus tend to produce roots in the internodes, a sprig is pinned to the soil and a small patch is embedded in which roots are formed. Later the branch is separated from the uterine bush. In landscape design, euonymus in the fall, as in the photo, is indispensable.
With its triumphant color, it reminds us that life is eternal and there is no reason for despondency. Autumn has its colors. And the gray overcast day is getting brighter. Designers love to use in the exhibition and stand-alone trees, dressed with a variety of leaves, bright clusters of berries.
Undeservedly forgotten, eskerlets reappeared in the landscape design of possessions.
What you need to know about euonymus
For landscaping used cultural forms of plants, dwarf varieties and shrubs. Where it is cold in winter, single plants are grown in pots and pots, removing them to a cool place for the winter.
In nature, euonymus grows under the canopy of trees. With a bright sunny color leaves decorativeness is lost. The best temperature for a plant is 18-22 degrees. The warmer than often need to moisten the leaves and lump of earth. If the euonymus is to wintering in the open air, its branches need protection. It is best to make a fur coat from the spruce branches of coniferous trees.
The plant is poisonous. Only 35 berries for an adult - a lethal dose. It can not be planted in a place accessible to children.
Where to place the plant in the country
If you want to grow a lonely tree, Maak's Euonymus will do. This species loves sunshine and does not tolerate shading. For European varieties, the best place would be the shade of adult trees.
For hedgerows, Sakhalin or sacred Esker should be purchased. These plants give rooting branches and are ground cover.
The soil under the euonymus should be light with an alkaline or neutral reaction. The plant does not like clay, with gratitude refers to the mineral dressing.
Watering the bush should be moderate. All eoscletes do not like stagnant moisture and highly disposed groundwater.
How to grow a lonely tree in a pot
Like any young, rapidly growing plant, the euonymus is planted in a small container in light soil. First transplanted every year, then less often. In the summer, the culture is kept outside, for the winter period it is arranged in a cool room with a temperature above 5 degrees.
In a warm room, the plant also overwinters, but can lose foliage. Keeping the plant indoors is not easy. The leaves are lost from the heat, moldy from the humidity, pale in the shade.
It is adapted for cultivation as a houseplant Japanese euonymus. Its leathery blue-green leaves are more resistant. During growth, the young tree is deformed, creating bizarre bends of the branches.
This plant is originally from China. and is a short growing shrub reaching 30 cm. It spreads along the ground, takes root well and has bright green oval leaves with a yellow or white border, which in the fall acquire a pink or darker color. If you put a support next to it, then its shoots will start to curl over it, but basically this plant is used as a screeching bush. In temperate latitudes practically does not bloom. However, Forchun's euonymus is valued not just for flowers, but for its motley leaves, which will be the perfect complement to any composition in landscape design.
The family of Eurasian has a lot of different varieties, not less than 120. But we will not consider all kinds, but just imagine the most popular ones.
- First grade on this list Vegetus
In appearance it is similar to the spruce growing in its natural environment. The leaves are dull, in the shape of an ellipse, dark green in color, reaching a length of 40 mm. Veins and edging of leaves are white. This species grows up to 15 cm in height. In the case of suitable conditions it grows very well, forming thick carpets. If you live in a region with very cold winters, then Forchun's euonymus of this class is just for you, since it has excellent winter hardiness.
- Baby (Minimus)
From the name it is clear that this variety is more miniature, but it also creates a lush covering. The leaves have an elliptical shape and reach 1 cm in length. By the way, this variety is also frost resistant.
- Emerald gold
Translated from English means "emerald in gold" and this name perfectly describes its appearance, because it is because of this variety that is very popular. The leaves have a rich emerald green color, and the border is bright yellow, as if the leaves were really dipped in gold. As soon as autumn arrives, the leaves turn a deep red wine color. In height reaches 30 cm, and leaves - 2 cm in length. This variety will not suffer at temperatures down to -25, even in the absence of snow.
- Emerald gaeity
This variety does not particularly grow in width, but reaches a height of 20 cm. The leaves are in the shape of an oval, having a white edging 2 centimeters long. Forchun's euonymus of the Emerald Haiti variety withstands temperatures down to -25 ° C.
- Sun spot
It is a compact, not fast growing and not very expanding shrub, with oblong-oval leaves 2 cm long and 20 centimeters high. It is also called the sunbeam for its bright yellow speck in the middle of the leaf. The cold season for this variety does not represent a mortal danger.
- Sheridan gold
Tall bush, reaching 35 cm in length and width. It does not grow very much. It has large oval leaves 4 cm in length. Its feature is the fact that young leaves first have a yellowish-green color, and then darken to green. Resistance to cold temperatures is average.
Application in landscape design
Forchun's euonymus grows very well. And thanks to this property, it is used as a ground cover shrub.
They plant it very rarely, usually it can be seen in large arrays, various tapes and dense groups.
Since the euonymus does not require reverent care, it can often be seen in the city in parks, squares, near monuments, shops, office buildings, and so on.
Very beautiful Forchun's euonymus Looks in tandem with various coniferous plants, such as thuja, spruce, juniper.
Gardeners on their plots use euonymus for a variety of compositions, rocky gardens, alpine hills, flat rockeries. It is planted together with perennial shrubs near their foot, for example, near lilac, chubushnik, barberry and others.
Sort Vegetus used as a lawn, as it forms evergreen carpets. The baby is used for stone compositions: alpine slides and stony mixborders, planted with ribbons around the perimeter of the tracks.
Also used for variety spruce euonymus Emerald Gold as different mixed compositions, large arrays, rocky gardens and so on.
Sort Emerald gaiety perfectly complement the composition of any style, both Japanese and ordinary rural.
How to choose seedlings when buying
If you have not previously bred Forchun's euonymus, in this case, to buy it, visit a special store or purchase it from professional gardeners. Buy better in spring. Before you buy seedlings, be sure to look at their appearance. The root system must be strong, not lethargic, and its branches without any damage.
Choosing a place
When choosing a place to plant, consider that almost all varieties prefer a large amount of light and sun.
Therefore, it will be better if the rays fall on the plant in the morning or in the evening. Also for euonymus is not suitable neighborhood with groundwater, so it should be planted on high ground.
Next turn on your imagination. You can decorate your plot with it by dropping it along the paths, in the garden composition, on the alpine hills or near the gazebos.
Once you have decided on the place, you need to prepare the selected area for landing. Forchun's euonymus is unpretentious to the soil, however there are small nuances. It is better to plant it in a friable and light soil. If you want to grow a beautiful healthy shrub, then you need to make a fertile soil mixture of peat, sand, turf land, humus and wood ash. Do not interfere with the addition of mineral fertilizers.
Stepwise landing process
The best time for planting is the spring season, namely April or May. The plant is well rooted during this time and will be ready for the cold. It is possible to plant an euonymus in the fall, but in this case the chances of successful cultivation fall several times.
So, let's go to step by step description of planting plants:
- Depending on the composition, we dig a hole or a trench.
- The pit should be larger than the root with the ground covering it a half or two times.
- At the bottom, it is imperative to lay a drainage layer of 15 cm. This must be done to protect the plant from groundwater. For these purposes suitable claydite, broken brick or gravel.
- From the excavated land we make a soil mixture using peat, sand, humus and mineral fertilizers.
- We plant a plant at a shallow depth. The root collar is not worth much to deepen into the soil.
- Then you need to fill the pit and compact the ground around the planted euonymus, forming a hole.
- Well water the plant.
- After watering, you must use mulch to preserve the moisture of the soil. For these purposes, you can take peat, sawdust or fallen leaves.
In order for a plant to grow as it should be, it must be ensured that it has full and proper care. Let's find out what you need to do.
Forchun's euonymus is pretty drought resistant plant. But after planting, it is imperative to water it regularly so that it will safely settle down in a new place. This should be done 1 time per week. If it rains a little, it is better to increase the number of waterings up to two times a week. Already grown bushes can be watered less frequently, as the ground around the plant dries out completely. However, spring is an exception to the rule, at this time the euonymus needs to be watered more often, since the winter time takes a lot of energy from the plant.
In the first year after planting, the spindle tree does not need additional feeding, because it still has the necessary substances in the soil. Then feed the plant can be both in spring and autumn. After winter, complex mineral fertilizers and compost are used for these purposes, and before the onset of cold weather, potash or phosphate fertilizers are used.
Forchun's euonymus is growing rather slowly, so he does not need formative pruning. In early spring, you can spend sanitary pruning. During it you need to remove with the help of a pruner all dried, damaged and broken branches of the plant. The only thing that can still be said is that too long branches breaking the shape should be removed, as they spoil the appearance of the shrub.
As you already noticed, Forchun's Euonymus is different. excellent resistance to cold. Still, recently planted plants are not yet so strong and need to be covered for the winter period. For this fit burlap or fallen leaves. Adult shrubs can no longer be insulated, but you should pay attention to the variety that you planted and your climate. Perhaps the plant does not interfere with additional protection.
How to deal with possible diseases and pests
To prevent the treatment of plants and the extermination of various pests, it is necessary to know the enemy in person and carry out preventive measures in time. To do this, shrub should be treated with fungicides in the spring season. A proper watering and placement of the plant in a sunny place will save it from various pests and fungal diseases.
But still, if for any reason these measures could not be produced, the following are diseases and pests that the euonymus may encounter:
- Mealy dew. This disease affects the leaves of the plant, which are covered with white spots, and then completely dry out. Treat this disease can be a popular method, for example, using Bordeaux fluid. Or buy special tools to combat powdery mildew. After treatment, the damaged parts of the plant must be trimmed.
- Spider mite If this pest hit the shrub, then at the top of the leaves you will see silver splashes, and at the bottom of the leaves there will be cobwebs. To get rid of this scoundrel, you can use a special tool, which is called acaricide or the safest tool - solution of calloid sulfur.
- Aphid. To combat aphids, use specialized or folk remedies.
Reproduction using cuttings
Special efforts for Forchun's euonymus will not be needed even with its reproduction, it is enough to follow simple instructions. In June or July, at the age of at least 5 years, the tops of the semi-woody shoots are cut off; these are the cuttings. In length, they should be about 7 cm and have one interstitial. The cut of the cutting must be processed with a root former, put into a mixture of peat and sand and kept under a film in a cool, well-lit place. After two months, the cuttings take root and they should be planted on open ground. Next, grow in accordance with all rules of care for this shrub.
In conclusion, I would like to say that Forchun's euonymus is a truly amazing plant. After all, in addition to the unusual name, it has the same interesting appearance, unpretentious care and also perfectly combined with other plants. Therefore, by purchasing this shrub, you can be sure that it will add and decorate your site as well as possible.
Imitating the natural environment of plants without human intervention, applies the euonymus as a solo composite plant. It is planted at wooden benches, artificial ponds and fountains, altars, and along the tracks. Observing a certain plan when planting a forchuna and considering its properties, it is possible to get a shrub along a path or one of the plants that forms a bosket.
Requires perfect haircuts and symmetry, provides for forchun places around the axial compositions (fountains, large trees, sculptures, etc.). Symmetrically located eosklet bushes acquire a solemn and aristocratic look. The flower beds are created taking into account the period of their flowering, for an unusual pattern. Despite the fact that the euonymus acts as a background to them, its color is taken into account in the first place. Speaking as a contrast to this or that flower, he plays the role of an accent of a flower garden.
The style of the Russian manor, more practical
Bezokletu defined aesthetic zones. Such as walkways and lush bright flower beds at the entrance to the garden or vegetable garden. Forchuna plays a supporting role during the warmer seasons, in winter - the main one. Giving the site a "negligence" plant is rarely planted. It is allowed to entwine with shrubs low fences that divide the garden into working areas.
Euonymus landed, at first glance, not thought out and in different ways. Following all the rules and requirements of style. But in fact, he was assigned several zones and one or two smooth transitions in them. Emphasizing the superiority of nature over people forchuna grows near the entrance to the garden or the house, near the gazebo and ponds.
Combination with other plants
Flowering phloxes, perennials deciduous and paniculate quarries will make a good company to the euonymus in the Alpine slide or rock arias. Low-growing Cossack or horizontal juniper will emphasize bright forchun ornamental foliage in rock gardens.
Dwarf shrubs such as barberry, periwinkle, spirea, and others combine with an euonymus in the center of the plot. He hides the shtamb bushes and creates the effect of the pomp of the composition.
Beautiful at any time of the year will be a combination of shrubs with representatives of needles. Thuja, juniper, boxwood - this is only part of the list of combined plants. Emerald foliage with a gold border will accentuate the shade of the needles and will become an unsurpassed element of decor in the garden.
Рододендроны лимон лайт и мандарин лайт цветут одновременно с бересклетом, а сочетание их соцветий (лимонно-желтый, оранжево-красный и желтый с зеленым) дополняют друг друга и создают теплое весеннее настроение.
Tree peony, hydrangea, euonymus - a win-win for flower beds along the path. Not only flowers, but also beautiful ornamental leaves delight the eye and continue to create an elegant landscape after flowering. Planted in color tiers.
Types and varieties
The plant forchun euonymus and its species are used as a ground cover and as vertical gardening. There are more than 200 species and varieties of shrubs. The most famous and popular:
- Emerald City. Frost-resistant groundcover reaches 25 cm in height. The leaves are dark green with a white border color.
- harlequin. The dwarf shrub is shade-loving, susceptible to frost. White interspersed with yellow and pink flowers.
- Esmerald Gold. It is used for vertical gardening. The color is emerald gold. Frost-resistant and sun-loving look. Reaches 200 cm in height.
Planting, care and illness
Planting time - spring or autumn. Loamy soil can create the most favorable conditions for growth and development. Optimal lighting - the sun, a small shadow. Does not like stagnant water in the soil. A drainage layer is laid out in the hole before planting (gravel, clay, sand, peat). The depth of the pit is 30 cm, the basal ball should remain above the ground, not less than 5 cm. After disembarking, water it generously. Mulch the near-wellbore area using a layer of earth or wood chips. Fertilize in spring or autumn, once a year.
The plant needs watering in dry summer and early spring. Young saplings systematically, an adult plant as necessary - 1 time in 5 days. The young plant must be protected from weeds, in the first 2 years it can not cope on its own. 2-3 days after watering the soil is loosened. For the winter, shelter sensitive young shrubs (dry foliage). Planting shrubs on the territory without drafts, in winter it will be provided with natural shelter from the cold - snow.
Shrub not painful. The most dangerous pests for him are aphid, spider mite, eelcuma shield mite, fungal diseases.
They lead the plant to warp and possible death. To combat and prevent them, the plant is sprayed with a solution of chemicals. Actellic is used every 7 days for three weeks to control pests. Concentration of 1 ml of the drug per 1 liter of water. For prophylaxis once a year - in the spring, 1 ml of the drug for 2 liters of water.
The variety of species of euonymus
There are many varieties of this plant, differing in height. The euonymus can reach several meters in height and resemble a spreading tree. Known varieties in the form of shrubs.
Decorative value represents a dwarf euonymus having a creeping shape. These species do not have a trunk, their long creeping branches are covered with closely fitting leaves. Typically, these plants are used in landscape design for decoration of hedges, arches and fences. The greatest popular gardeners use several species of this shrub:
- Emerald Gold. The name translates as "emerald in gold" and perfectly describes the appearance of this shrub. This variety has oblong, medium-sized leaves that have an unusual color: bright green in the center of the leaf plate with a golden frame around the edges. In the fall, the edge of the leaf takes on a color from pink to bright red.
- The shrub grows very slowly. An adult plant can reach a height of 60 centimeters. The branches, creeping, expand to two meters. The plant tolerates winter cold.
- Emerald Gaeti. This is a small compact plant, whose height does not exceed 20-30 centimeters. Branches are not very long. The leaves have a slightly elongated ovoid shape, are painted in a light green color, and there is a white border along the edges of the leaf. The plant is able to tolerate very cold weather.
- Baby. Dwarf species of euonymus, resembling a pillow. Plant height does not exceed 5 centimeters. The leaves are oblong, bright green with white veins. This variety is often used as a cover plant, as well as for decoration of garden borders.
- Vegetus In appearance, this species of euonymus is closest to the forms that grow in the wild. Bushes grow very quickly, their height reaches 15-20 centimeters. The plant is able to create a dense green carpet on the surface in a short time.
Reproduction Forchun Euonymus
Euonymus multiply layering, cuttings or seeds. Experienced gardeners prefer vegetative breeding, because it allows you to save the species characteristics and ornamental qualities of the plant.
Reproduction by layering is the easiest way of breeding euonymus, since the plant can independently form roots on the branches creeping along the earth's surface. At the same time from one shoot you can get a few young plants. For breeding by layering, one should separate a branch that has strong, well developed roots, and transplant it to a new place.
If Forchun's euonymus is used as a vertical surface for planting, then a small groove is dug near the shrub trunk and branches are bent into it. After the branches are well rooted, they are separated from the main plant and transplanted to a permanent place.
This is the most time-consuming and complex method of growing. Before planting, seeds are soaked in a weak solution of potassium permanganate, then the seeds are placed in a container with sand for three months, where they will be in the cold season.
Next, seeds are sown in a soil mixture consisting of peat and coarse sand, covered with glass on top. Shoots are grown in small containers, and after the appearance real leaves planted in open ground in a permanent place. Growing spruce from seed takes up to four years.
Landing Forchun Euonymus
In order to grow strong and beautiful bush, care should be taken about the planting material. Seedlings can be grown independently or purchased in the nursery.
When buying seedlings, special attention should be paid to the root system, which should be well developed and free from damage. Branches must be intact, with no signs of cuts and breaks, with whole bark.
Planting is carried out in the spring. For the plant it is better choose a place that is well lit by the sun in the morning and evening. Euonymus is better to plant on an elevated site, because it does not like the nearby located groundwater, which contribute to the decay of the root system. For plants fit plots along the garden paths, arbors.
For euonymus does not require a special soil composition. But in order to grow a beautiful healthy plant, it is necessary to prepare a loose, light fertile soil consisting of peat, humus turf substrate, humus and wood ash. Before planting, you can make mineral fertilizers.
Euonymus planted in late April-May. The plant has time to take root and shoot shoots before the onset of winter cold. For the landing of the pre-prepared wells or trenches, the bottom of which is laid drainage layer. As a drainage, you can use expanded clay, broken brick, pebbles or gravel.
The excavated soil is mixed with the prepared soil and placed in a planting pit. When planting plants should not bury the root neck. Then euonymus watered. The land around the plant is mulched with sawdust or peat.
Peculiarities of care for Forchun euonymus
Euonymus is unpretentious and undemanding to care and growing conditions. However, in order for the plant to enjoy its beauty, you should follow a few simple rules for caring for shrubs.
- Watering. Euonymus easily tolerates the absence of moisture for a long time, but for young plants regular watering is very important. To the plants quickly rooted, they should be watered at least once every 7-10 days. If summer is hot and dry, the frequency of watering should be increased to two times a week.
- Watering adult plants is carried out as the upper soil layer dries around them. Frequent watering is required by plants in the spring at the beginning of the growing season.
- Top dressing. Euonymus needs regular fertilizing with mineral and organic fertilizers. Fertilization is carried out in spring and autumn. In early spring, the plant is fed with mineral fertilizers and compost; in the fall, fertilizers with a high content of potassium and phosphorus are applied.
- Crop. The plant does not need pruning to give it decorative qualities. It is enough to carry out sanitary cleaning of landings in early spring, remove dried and broken branches. It is recommended to remove long shoots that can spoil the appearance of the planting.
- Shelter for the winter. Adult spruce Forchuna winter-hardy, well withstand low temperatures. However, when preparing for the winter, young plants should be covered. As covering material, you can use fallen leaves, sawdust, spruce leaves, burlap. When young shoots grow up, in preparation for the winter should focus on the planted variety of plants and climatic conditions.
Types of Eoskletov for the dacha
Euonymus are evergreen and deciduous. Flowers appear on them more than 5-6 inflorescences, forming a beautiful “brush”. The fruit of the planting is a four-sectioned box with seeds inside.
Euonymus may have different shades. Known are yellow, pink, crimson and scarlet, burgundy tones.
There are about 200 species of euonymus. On the territory of Russia grow more than 25 varieties. The plant is considered poisonous, although it has some therapeutic functions.
Each subspecies has separate requirements for planting and care, they are also described by specific characteristics.
There is a variety from Eurasia. The height reaches 6 m. It blooms in early summer. The fruits are red.
Differs green, rounded tetrahedral shoots, also there are longitudinal leaves closer to the root system. Ripe fruit is red. Late autumn inflorescences become red. The grade is allocated with excellent survivability in the shady district.
It may have a height of up to 7 m. Growths appear on the processes, which betrays a tetrahedral shape to the planting. In the garden, a plant of the European variety blooms in late spring. Fruit ripening continues until the end of summer. The box of the plant has a delicate pink color, and the seeds look white or red. The appearance of black seeds is also possible. Variety endowed with drought resistance.
- Evergreen shrub from Japan.
Height of a plant is up to 8 m. Has escapes with a tetrahedral section. Leaves are oval, flowers of a green shade with white impregnations.
- Forchun's euonymus is from China.
The plant is a small evergreen shrub with a height of 35 cm. The lower branches of the Forchuny are covered with oval-shaped leaves, with a special sheen.
Forchuny inflorescences almost not formed. Fruit grade rarely.
Specific features and varieties of Forchun's euonymus
This species can grow even at low temperature conditions - up to -25 degrees. Survive the harsh conditions allows a large number of branches that protect the root system from frost and cold.
At Forchuny leaves 4cm with slightly curving ends. Leaf color is different, emit:
- Green with white edges in summer, pink - in winter.
- Dark green all year round.
- Green with yellow patches all year round.
- Green with yellow edges, in winter - with pinkish edges.
- In the winter time with raspberry color.
The planting has a characteristic glossy finish on the leaves.
Forchun's beautiful euonymus - planting and gardening
Planting rules are simple, but the following conditions must be met:
- The plant has a bright color and for its landing you need to choose a lighted place or a plot with a predominance of daylight. Lack of natural light can lead to loss of beautiful leaf color.
- It is not recommended to land the Fortune in places with holes and deep ditches, where there is a possibility of accumulation of natural water. Excess moisture can cause fungal damage to the root system.
- The soil for planting should be chosen with a crumbly texture. If the area where the shrubber intends to plant has a clay surface, it is recommended to add sand or humus from the leaves to it. When acidifying the soil previously, 7 days before planting, chalk is added there. The texture is well mixed.
- Add compost to the hole for growing Forchuny.
- It should plant mulch sawdust deciduous trees or hay.
You can not take for this purpose the bark of conifers to avoid increasing the acidity of the earth.
Forchune euonymus for light growth requires light substrates. However, the plant perfectly adapts to soils with low alkalinity.
After planting should carefully care for the shrub.
- Adult planting is not recommended to water often. Just planted should be further watered.
- In spring, the surface near Forchuny needs to be loosened, but carefully, so as not to injure the root system, which is at a shallow depth.
- Fertilizing Fortune is advised every 2 years with mineral mixtures and sideratami. The optimal period for this is March-April.
Planting grows rather slowly. The branches can increase by 10 cm per year. It can be easily decorated.
Forchun's euonymus may be affected:
- Louse. Insecticides are used against them.
- Spider mite. To combat it, the shrub is treated with acaricides. The treatment procedure is carried out in dry weather.
Basically, in this species, only damaged shoots are cut, or branches that violate the ideal type of shrub.
Application to decorate the landscape
For decoration of the landscape of the middle band, this type of plant is indispensable:
- This is an evergreen shrub covered in winter, with the descent of snow cover pleases the eye with bright and saturated colors.
- The plant can be cut, and Forchuna will ideally keep the shape.
- In the autumn the shrub is decorated with beautiful earrings of inedible berries.
Beautiful planting is separated by a small characteristic. It can grow up along the wall, shrouding it with its branches. In order to prevent sliding from a smooth surface, supports are made under them.
Apply planting to decorate the verandas, terraces, summer kitchen and pergolas. In the photo, Forchun's Euonymus in landscape design is combined with other plantations. It is often decorated to create a single composition.
In the landscape, shrubs are often planted as hedges in group plantings.
Their decorative value is that they change their colors during the season. Each sheet can be simultaneously painted in several, up to 6 colors.
Forchun's euonymus - an unpretentious plant, quite resistant to frost and with proper care will decorate the area throughout the year.