Perennial herb with pronounced immunomoduliruyuschimi properties, also has antiviral, antimicrobial and antibacterial action, is widely used in pharmacology and traditional medicine.
Healing properties and contraindications of Echinacea were first described by North American shamans. The Indians called this grass "golden flower" and "evening sun." She saved from many diseases: she was treated for a cold, headaches, wounds, burns, ulcers, venereal diseases, used as an antidote for bites of poisonous insects and snakes. Was taken in the form of decoctions, mixed with other herbs. Echinacea came to Europe in the 17th century. At first it was used only as an ornamental plant, later it began to be used in medicine.
Features of Echinacea purpurea
Translated from the Greek, "echinos" means "hedgehog." Perhaps the name of the plant was due to the internal pointed flowers. When they dry, they look like urchin spines. What is famous for Echinacea purpurea grass?
The homeland of this plant is the eastern part of North America. Here, Echinacea grows in the wild, is found on the sandy banks of rivers, stony soils, and likes arid areas. In Europe, the grass took root as an agricultural crop, which is often grown in private plots, parks, and gardens as an ornamental and medicinal plant.
Echinacea purpurea. Botanical Illustration by Sidenham Edwards of The Botanical Magazine, vol. 1., no. 2, 1792 year.
In the genus, there are 11 species of this plant. The most famous of them - Echinacea white, purple, narrow-leaved. They are used in traditional medicine. But few people have heard about the echinacea paradoxical, feigning, bloody, Tenessian - all these are ornamental plant species that adorn our flower beds and front gardens. In folk medicine, Echinacea purpurea is most commonly used. What does this plant look like?
- It can be up to 1–1.5 m high.
- The leaves are narrow, oval-shaped, with pubescence and small cloves.
- Straight, rough stem splits up.
- Inflorescences in the form of baskets are formed on the split stem.
- The diameter of the baskets can reach 15 cm.
- Internal tubular flowers - pointed, dark red or brownish.
- Reed marginal flowers are pink, purple.
Echinacea blooms for a long time, starting from the end of June and ending with the first frosts in the central Russian strip. Sometimes you can find another name for this type of grass - rudbeckia purple. This is an erroneous synonym. In modern botanical catalogs, these are two different kinds.
What are the healing properties of echinacea? Thanks to what useful substances is it popular in traditional and traditional medicine?
- Chemical composition . There are a lot of trace elements in the grass. Among them are reserves of zinc, selenium, iron, manganese, silicon, calcium, cobalt, silver, potassium, and other trace elements. The flower is rich in vitamins, valuable essential oils, tannins, organic acids, polysaccharides, alkaloids, glycosides, resins. There are in it enzymes, flavonoids, phytosterols, saponins. Healing substances are found in flowers, stems, stem, basal leaves and rhizomes of echinacea.
- Immunomodulator Such well-known plants as ginseng, lemongrass, eleutherococcus, are immune system stimulants, that is, they invigorate the body, restore impaired immunity. Echinacea has a different impact principle: it pushes the immune system to work independently, to use an internal resource. It has been clinically proven that the herb can be used as an antiviral agent as a treatment and prevention of ARVI, flu.
- Antioxidant. Thanks to selenium, a group of vitamins B and C, Echinacea is able to bind free radicals and remove them from the body, which prevents cancer and premature aging of the body.
- Antiseptic and antibiotic. The anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties of the herb were well known to the North American Indian tribes. And today, echinacea-based preparations are used externally for antiseptic skin treatment, but they are also taken orally for viral (including herpes), fungal and bacterial infections. Conducted clinical trials in which it was proved that Echinacea is active against staphylococcus and streptococcus.
Indications for use
- Cold, colds, flu (treatment and prevention).
- Inflammatory processes in the nasal mucosa, oral cavity, throat.
- Diseases of the respiratory system.
- A stomach ulcer.
- Urinary tract infections.
- External: dermatitis, trophic ulcers, burns, wounds, boils, eczema, insect bites, psoriasis.
Also, the drug is prescribed for rehabilitation after prolonged illness, radiotherapy for oncologic diagnoses, for removing toxins from the body in case of poisoning with chemicals, heavy metals.
What are the contraindications of echinacea purpurea?
- Autoimmune diseases.
- Multiple sclerosis.
- Leukemia and leukemia.
- Individual sensitivity to grass.
- Pregnancy and lactation period.
- Elderly people take in limited doses.
- Children under 12 years old.
Echinacea can be most dangerous for people with diseases of the immune system. The drug can lead to unpredictable immune shifts that will pose a risk to health and life. However, some restrictions (for example, pregnancy, lactation, age) are introduced due to the lack of clinical trials. The harm of echinacea is not proven in this case, but the benefit is not clinically confirmed.
How to use echinacea in pharmacology and traditional medicine
The most valuable in echinacea - its juice. To preserve its beneficial properties, alcohol, citric acid, sugar are used as a preservative in pharmacology, and vodka and honey are used in traditional medicine. Juice is made from tinctures, but dry herb extract is also used (flowers, leaves, stems, root).
Forms of release in pharmacology
Echinacea pharmaceutical preparations are available in different dosage forms. Herb extract is also added to other drugs that activate the immune system.
- Tincture. It is made on the basis of fresh crushed echinacea purpurea (roots and rhizomes) and 50% ethyl alcohol. For prophylactic purposes, take 5-10 drops, 2 times a day. In the acute period of infection and at the initial stage of the disease, reinforced doses are recommended: tincture can be drunk 15 drops 6 times a day. Read more about the use of echinacea tincture in our other article.
- Syrup It contains not only echinacea, but also rosehip extracts, rowan, and green tea. Syrup can be taken in a tablespoon once a day for the prevention of seasonal viral infections. You can drink the medicine for 3 weeks. Then they take a break in treatment for a month, on the recommendation of the doctor, repeat the course.
- Pills . The dry extract is obtained from Echinacea purpurea and narrow-leaved. Adults are allowed to take 1 tablet 3-4 times a day. Tablets do not swallow, but dissolve until completely dissolved in the mouth. The therapeutic effect is observed a week after the start of the reception. The course of treatment should not exceed 2 months. Tablets are prohibited for children under 12 years old. Shelf life - 3 years. The most famous commercial names of echinacea tablets - Immunal, Immunorm. Also offered the dietary supplement "Neolin Echinacea" in the form of effervescent tablets with the addition of ascorbic acid and zinc.
Echinacea-based drugs are not recommended to be taken together with immunosuppressants and glucocorticosteroids. Herb weakens the effect of these medicines.
How to make medicine at home
Echinacea has been widely used in traditional medicine. Healers with extensive experience prefer to grow this valuable plant on their own and give advice on the preparation of echinacea potions.
Making Echinacea Tea
- Take 1 teaspoon of dry Echinacea herb.
- Pour 0.5 liters of boiling water.
- Insist on 30 minutes.
You can take tea 1 glass a day for prevention. At the beginning of the flu, cold, ARVI, you can drink a loading dose - 3 cups a day, with the addition of honey.
Preparation of the mixture with honey
- Crush the dry parts of the plant into powder.
- Take 100 g of powder.
- Put 300 g of honey in it.
- Mix thoroughly.
This mixture can be taken 3 times a day in a tablespoon of tea. It is recommended as a prophylactic for ARVI, fatigue, headache.
Preparation of alcohol tinctures
- Take 20 g of dry echinacea.
- Pour 200 g of vodka.
- Insist 14 days, periodically shaking.
In therapeutic doses, the tincture is taken 30 drops 3 times a day, it can be diluted with water.
- Take 1 teaspoon of dry Echinacea herb.
- Pour a glass of boiling water.
- Hold in a water bath for 15 minutes.
- Insist 1 hour.
Take a decoction 3 times a day for ½ cup. Fresh leaves and flowers can be used instead of dry grass.
They write a lot about echinacea, and in most cases there are positive opinions of people who have experienced the effect of this medicinal plant.
- Reviews on the use of echinacea for children. There are a lot of conflicting information around this issue. For example, earlier Echinacea-based drugs were often prescribed to children of preschool age for the prevention of SARS and influenza. And, it must be admitted, it has proven itself in pediatrics. However, after taking the medicine in children, allergic reactions in the form of puffiness, urticaria, pruritus were increasingly observed. Therefore today in the majority of instructions to this phytopreparation age restrictions are specified - 12 years. Alcohol tinctures and pills are contraindicated for children under 12 years old. They can offer weak teas, teas, and syrup. In any case, the decision to take Echinacea should be made by a doctor.
- Reviews of echinacea to strengthen the immune system. Immunomoduliruyuschie properties of echinacea clinically proven. In pharmacology, it is a valuable medicinal raw material. Yes, and the long-term practice of using herbs in traditional medicine confirms that it is effective in preventing ARVI and flu. It is only important to know that the therapeutic effect occurs 7–10 days after the start of treatment.
- Reviews of echinacea as an adaptogenic agent. In addition to immunomoduliruyuschey, the grass has a tonic, adaptogenic properties. After its reception, people notice a surge of strength and vigor, increased efficiency, easier transferred physical and emotional stress. But if there is excessive excitation of the nervous system and insomnia - these are signs of an overdose of the drug.
Echinacea - although natural, but still an immunomodulator. The immune system is one of the most mysterious and little-studied systems of our body, and its reactions to external influences may be the most unexpected. Therefore, the use of grass should be reasonable and balanced, even if there are no contraindications. Recommended consultation immunologist before taking the drug.
Echinacea purpurea is a phytopreparation of the first choice to strengthen the immune system, it is actively used in traditional and traditional medicine. In second place are the antimicrobial properties of this medicinal plant. In modern pharmacology, they faded into the background, but the healing anti-inflammatory power of echinacea does not detract from this fact.
Echinacea from diseases
Purple Echinacea is a plant coming from North America. Each part of it has healing properties. The roots, leaves, flowers contain stimulating substances that can destroy viruses, fungi, bacteria.
Over the years, the Indians used Echinacea to treat colds, diphtheria, malaria, blood poisoning and more. This plant has a lot of useful properties, but there are also contraindications.
Echinacea purpurea - a plant of the genus Asterovs. Almost until the mid-twentieth century, the flower was used in traditional medicine, and then began to grow as a garden culture. Since 1938, it began to be used in official medicine. Dr. Madaus conducted a study of purple echinacea, after which he began to use the plant for sore throats, tonsillitis, inflammation of internal organs. The list of diseases from which the plant helps, is constantly updated. Later, Echinacea was officially introduced into the pharmacopoeias of many foreign countries, and also began to be used as a medicinal raw material in the manufacture of various pharmaceutical preparations.
In the ground part of Echinacea contains many very different useful elements. There are mucus, tar, polysaccharides, essential oils, hydroxycinnamic acids, saponins, polyamides, echinacin, echinacoside, enzymes, vitamins, phytosterols, palmitic and linoleic acids.
The root contains a lot of inulin, polysaccharides, resins. It also has an essential oil, phenol carboxylic acids, betaine, echinacoside and echinacin, vitamins, enzymes and other useful elements.
The flowers of the plant contain a lot of essential oil.
The use of Echinacea purpurea is very wide. This plant helps to cope with many diseases, but above all the plant is used as an immunostimulant. Pharmacological companies produce Echinacea purpurea tincture. She is ready to use. The drug is made on the basis of an extract of purple echinacea or from the juice of the plant.
The herb has antibacterial, fungicidal, viralostatic and anti-inflammatory properties. Echinacea preparations are strong activators of macrophages, lymphocytes and granulocytes. This stimulates the functioning of the immune system: the plant gently stimulates the work of the adrenal cortex, increases the production of hormones. Also included in the composition of the plant medicines have anti-allergic and antirheumatic properties.
The instructions for use of Echinacea purpurea say that this plant helps with depression, acute respiratory viral infections, inflammatory diseases, rheumatoid arthritis, hepatitis, cystitis, prostatitis, as well as wounds and ulcers, burns.
In folk medicine, decoctions, extracts, infusions are used. The drugs are taken as an antiseptic, to remove warts, with physical fatigue. Good results show echinacea-based products after antibiotic treatment, radiation therapy and the use of cytostatics.
Echinacea can be brewed in the form of tea to strengthen and raise the immunity. To do this, just a teaspoon of raw materials pour boiling water in the tea pot. Tea infused for ten minutes. It is taken in a cup once a day, but not longer than a week. It is better to alternate such teas with other products, taking Echinacea once a week, and other vitamin teas on other days that can strengthen the immune system.
Dosage of tablets and solution
Pharmacological companies produce echinacea in the form of tablets and solutions. According to the instructions, echinacea purple in the form of tablets can be used for children from the age of twelve years and adults, one tablet three times a day. For children aged six to twelve years, the drug is prescribed at a dosage of 1 tablet 1-2 times a day. Children between the ages of four and six years are prescribed the drug on a tablet once a day.
The oral solution is applied three times a day in the dosage prescribed by the doctor. Be sure to dilute the solution before use with water.
Reception duration is no more than eight weeks.
Echinacea alcohol tincture
Tincture can be purchased at the pharmacy, and you can do it yourself, at home. For it use all parts of the plant, including rhizomes.
To prepare the tincture, you need to take fifty grams of crushed raw materials, place them in a dark glass container and pour in alcohol (0.25 l). The remedy is infused for two weeks, periodically shaken. After the composition is infused, it is filtered.
Alcohol tincture is used to treat a variety of ailments. It can be used for rubbing in case of painful joints, do night compresses with it.
Well-proven tincture to improve immunity. To do this, three times a day before meals take fifteen drops of the drug. Children means shown at the rate of one drop per year of life.
Alcohol remedy well helps to treat purulent wounds. To do this, a tablespoon of tincture diluted with a spoonful of water. The resulting tool is treated with a wound.
When radiculitis and myositis shows compresses. For them, you will need to take a piece of cloth, moisten it with tincture and attach it to the sore spot. Top covered with plastic and a scarf.
For the preparation of infusion used flowers. A teaspoon of raw materials is poured with a glass of boiling water and infused for two hours. Then the tool is filtered. Ready infusion is used for emotional overstrain, as well as for chronic stress. С этой целью стакан препарата выпивается в течение суток мелкими глотками.
При простуде принимают средство по половинке стакана трижды в день.
Good results are shown by the use of an infusion to enhance potency: for this purpose, the infusion is drunk a glass twice a day.
For obesity, in order to reduce cravings for sweets, it is recommended to drink half a glass of infusion before eating.
You can prepare the oil yourself, and you can buy ready-made, especially since the price of echinacea purpurea is low (tincture 50 ml will cost 150 rubles).
To prepare the oil, roots are taken, thoroughly washed and passed through a meat grinder. Then one hundred grams of the obtained gruel is poured over 0.5 liters of sunflower oil and infused in a cool dark place for three weeks. After this tool is filtered. The finished product is stored in the refrigerator.
Oil well helps with duodenal ulcers or stomach, a teaspoon of oil is mixed with the same amount of sea buckthorn oil and taken orally once a day on an empty stomach. Therapy lasts two weeks.
For bronchitis, oil is used thrice a day. Be sure to drink water.
Good results are obtained by using an echinacea medication for the treatment of dermatological diseases. Oil helps with eczema, dermatitis. For treatment, it is applied to the affected areas several times a day.
When oiled, grease every three hours the corners of the mouth for two weeks.
From Echinacea, you can cook broths. For them, flowers and leaves are used. Dry, crushed raw materials are poured with water and set on fire. The product is boiled for five minutes, then cooled and filtered.
Broth helps to cope with the breakdown: for this they drink a glass of money, dividing it into four doses. When kidney disease is taken decoction of one hundred milliliters three times a day.
Echinacea can be used for washing wounds.
Good results show a plant with a rash: to deal with it, used lotion.
Cultivation of Echinacea
Growing echinacea in your garden is very simple. This plant propagates by seeds and division of the bush. The latter method allows you to quickly get large plants with a strong root system. Planting Echinacea purpurea is best done in the spring. When bush division in the first year, you can collect raw materials.
When sown in the first year of flowering will not. The plant is actively increasing the root mass, and blooms in the second year. Flowering begins in mid-July and lasts until the frost.
The plant is planted in sunny areas. Although it grows well in the shade. If you compare the bush in the sun and in the shade, then when grown in the shade the bushes are more powerful, with large leaves and huge flowers. There are no other differences.
Echinacea purpure care is very simple. The plant must be abundantly watered. This plant loves moisture, so it is watered very plentifully. It responds well to fertilization. During the entire growing season, the plant is fed twice per season. In late September, the stems are pruned.
After flowering, the seeds ripen. To get new plants, simply scatter them where you want to get new bushes. The next year they will ascend themselves, and in a year they will delight with abundant flowering and plenty of medical material.
How to collect
For the treatment of diseases used all parts of the plant. Collect it in dry sunny weather, immediately after the morning dew. When collecting rhizomes, weather conditions do not play a role.
The leaves of young plants of the first year of life collected in the fall. In plants of the second and subsequent years of life, the leaves are cut off in the spring, as soon as they bloom. It is impossible to completely remove the foliage, because in this case the bush will not bloom.
The resulting herbs dried in a ventilated room. The sun's rays adversely affect the workpiece, so you need to carefully consider the choice of place for drying raw materials.
The inflorescences of the plant are collected at the very beginning of their flowering. At this time they contain a lot of useful substances. After a cut in about three weeks, Echinacea re-blooms.
The inflorescences are dried in the same way as the leaves. This video presents a method of brewing flowers.
Rhizomes are harvested either in early spring or late autumn, after pruning the aerial part of the plant.
All the prepared raw materials are stored in containers made of glass or in fabric bags. Raw materials are used not only for the treatment of diseases, but also as prophylactic agents for various ailments.
Main characteristics of Echinacea
- Echinacea can reach a height of up to 80-150 centimeters.
- It has straight and, in some cases, loosely branched stems, slightly covered with small bristly hairs.
- The plant has a well-developed strong root system with strong branches.
- In echinacea, basal leaves have an oval narrow shape with a barely perceptible ptosis and cloves located along the perimeter of each leaflet.
- Stem leaves of the plant differ in lanceolate shape, tapering to the very base of the cutting. Echinacea leaves have a rich green color.
- All leaves are on the stem of the flower evenly.
- The rough stalk of the plant splits at the very top, from where the inflorescences of the plant are formed, which visually resemble the shape of small baskets.
- The diameter of the flowers can reach 15 centimeters.
- Flowers have a bright purple or dark red color.
- Flower petals have pointed ends.
- Echinacea blooms in the second year of life.
- The beginning of flowering occurs at the end of spring - the beginning of July.
- Duration of flowering is two and a half months.
The process of plant reproduction occurs by planting seeds into the soil or by separating the rhizomes. It is important to note that only tubular flowers are fertile in Echinacea.
Biological composition and therapeutic properties of purple echinacea
In pharmacology, all parts of Echinacea purpurea are used, starting from its leaves, stem, leaves, and ending with the root and inflorescences. This is due to the fact that this plant is widely used in pharmacology as a therapeutic agent, which has unique healing properties. The therapeutic effect is achieved due to the presence of many useful elements in the plant.
Useful elements that make up the plant
- Echinacea purpurea - It is an excellent immunomodulator, the main principle of action of which is to launch the work of the immune system to fight viruses and infections. That is why infusions and decoctions of this plant are often used to treat colds, acute respiratory viral infections, influenza, and also used as an antiviral therapeutic agent that can push the immune system to work independently for the benefit of the body.
- The presence of Echinacea potassium helps to maintain the body's desired water-salt balance, which is so necessary for the normal functioning of the heart.
- The body’s resistance to various viruses and infections is increasing due to the presence of such an element as synarine. Also, this element has a beneficial effect on the healing process of patients suffering from colds and ARVI.
- Echinacea contains calciumwhich strengthens bones and prevents bad cholesterol from being absorbed into the blood.
- As a prevention of dangerous diseases such as stroke or heart attack, is a substance called betainecontained in the composition of echinacea.
- Increases hemoglobin in the blood and is directly involved in oxygenation of the blood, such an element as iron.
- Echinacea tinctures and decoctions help to normalize the functions of the intestines, and fight diabetes. Achieved a similar effect due to the presence in the plant inulin.
- Helps strengthen arteries and blood vesselsand also strengthen the cartilage tissue of such an element as silicon.
- Strong antioxidant and blocker of development of oncological pathologies, acts selenium.
- Due to the presence of tanning components in the plant, the body is powerful anti-inflammatory and anticarcinogenic effect.
- He is directly involved in the process of metabolism and improving the composition of the blood, which is part of Echinacea cobalt.
- Powerful antifungal effects have polyenes.
- Strengthens hair, improves the condition of nails and skin zinc.
- The flavonoids present in echinacea help strengthen the antiviral protective functions of the body. Also this element has an excellent anti-allergic and antispasmodic effect.
- Improve the thyroid and CNS helps manganese.
- Antioxidant properties vitamin A. He also takes part in the normalization of visual functions.
- Producing antiviral immunity and the rapid restoration of damaged tissue, polysaccharides contribute.
- In addition, purple echinacea is also saturated with vitamins such as C and E, which help strengthen the immune system and have a strong anti-inflammatory effect.
- Excellent diuretic and antiseptic properties have phenol carboxylic acids.
- The presence in the composition of the medicinal plant of essential oils, has a bactericidal effect on the patient's body.
As you can see, echinacea does have a potent immunomodulatory, anti-allergic, antiviral, anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic effect. Due to the rich composition of beneficial elements in the plant, the use of medicines, with the content of echinacea, contributes to the rapid and effective treatment of numerous diseases and pathological conditions.
In some cases, it will be effective to use purple echinacea
To date, echinacea is part of more than 250 patented medical products. Moreover, the use of medicines containing echinacea will be effective in the following cases.
- Medicines where there is purple echinacea, are often used in complex therapy for the treatment of various forms of cancer pathologies. Moreover, according to medical observations in patients taking the drug with Echinacea, there was a steady increase in the number of leukocytes in 85 percent of cases.
- Prescribed medications with echinacea to eliminate the effects of severe physical or psychological fatigue. Often, drugs are prescribed for the prevention of depression.
- Echinacea preparations very effectively fight skin diseases and dermatitis of various etiologies, accompanied by such manifestations as skin rash, itching, urticaria, psoriasis, traces of severe burns, abscesses, ulcers, severe wounds and carbuncles.
- Medicinal properties of the plant will be useful for men in the treatment of prostatitis, prostate adenoma, infectious diseases of the genital organs and urinary tract.
- For women, echinacea will be indispensable in the treatment of pathologies such as candidiasis, syphilis, chlamydia or gonorrhea, inflammatory diseases of the genitourinary system and the ovaries.
- Echinacea extract is effective in the treatment of numerous infectious, respiratory and viral diseases. For example: sore throat, scarlet fever, tonsillitis, SARS, cold, flu, inflammation of the nasal cavity and throat, osteomyelitis, meningitis, herpes, rhinitis, etc.
- Echinacea helps fight inflammation in diseases such as cystitis, arthritis, gastritis, polyarthritis, nephritis, pancreatitis, hepatitis, etc.
- Prescribed medications containing purple echinacea for the treatment of diseases that are associated with poor metabolism: obesity, diabetes, liver disease, etc.
- Eliminates pain when strong migraines and pain in the joints.
- It is prescribed as a prophylaxis for leukopenia.
- In complex therapy helps to get rid of infertility.
- Broths, tinctures help to cope with severe inflammation of the oral cavity: inflammation of the gums, stomatitis.
- As inhalation, you can use echinacea tincture for the treatment of bronchitis and other diseases affecting the upper respiratory tract.
- The systematic use of drugs with the content of echinacea helps to slow down the aging process, because the plant has unique regenerating properties.
Experts advise taking echinacea as the prevention and prevention of colds along with the main course of treatment - this approach increases the effectiveness of classical therapies.
What are the contraindications of Echinacea purpurea
Despite the abundance of beneficial qualities that this unique plant possesses, Echinacea has some definite contraindications that must be considered before taking drugs with its content.
- The main contraindication is children's age up to six years.
- You should not take drugs with the content of the plant in the event that the patient is observed abnormalities associated with autoimmune diseases.
- AIDS is a contraindication.
- In the acute form of tonsillitis also should not be used funds that contain Echinacea.
- Can not be used for people who suffer from severe insomnia.
- Multiple sclerosis and advanced age require special care in treating echinacea.
- You can not take women who are in the position and moms during lactation.
- Contraindications are pathologies such as leukemia, tuberculosis, atherosclerosis and leukemia.
- With extreme caution, echinacea is prescribed to patients diagnosed with pathologies associated with connective tissue problems.
- Also, drugs are contraindicated in patients who have identified chronic or severe forms of certain diseases.
- It is strictly forbidden to take echinacea to people who have a personal intolerance to this component of echinacea.
Before taking medications that contain Echinacea, you should definitely consult with your doctor, who will be able to prescribe the correct dosage and appropriate course of therapy.
In what forms are the preparations containing purple echinacea
To date, there are several popular pharmacological forms of drug release, which contain Echinacea.
- Dry raw materials made exclusively from dried flowers and leaves of Echinacea. Used for making tinctures, decoctions and medicinal teas. It can also be used for inhalation for respiratory diseases.
- A complex preparation in the form of a syrup containing not only an extract of echinacea, but also additional useful components - rosehip, green tea and rowan. Used to treat and prevent infectious and viral diseases.
- Dry form echinacea extract in the form of tablets used in complex treatment as an adjuvant therapy of various colds (sore throat, SARS, respiratory tract pathology). This form of the drug is intended for resorption, but not for ingestion.
- Also extracts from echinacea are used in the manufacture of various dietary supplements. In this case, the tablets are presented in the form of effervescent capsulesthat are pre-dissolved in water, after which they are drunk.
- The most popular form is tinctures of their echinacea with alcohol content. They can be used both externally (for rinsing, rubbing wounds) and internally for the treatment of various infections and colds.
- For the treatment of inflammatory pathologies can be used ampoules containing Echinacea. In this case, the composition of the drug is administered either intravenously or intramuscularly. May cause a short side effect that passes on its own after a short period of time. Cancellation of the drug in this case, as a rule, is not required.
- To strengthen the immune system and launch the reserve functions of the body, most often used capsules for oral use. They can be used not only for auxiliary therapeutic therapy, but also as measures for the prevention of colds and infectious diseases.
If an echinacea patient causes negative reactions from the body: allergy (in the form of urticaria, itching, rash), nausea, drowsiness, dizziness or body aches, you should immediately stop taking the drug and consult a specialist.
Echinacea purpurea has the following beneficial properties:
Echinacea Purpurea Homemade Medicine
- Echinacea infusion: take 1 tablespoon of chopped herb of the plant, pour 2 cups boiling water, insist in a thermos for one night, then strain. Take with gastric ulcer, edema, joint pain and herpes three times a day 30 minutes before meals. Single dose - 100-150 ml. The course of treatment is 10 days. You can spend two repeated courses with breaks of 5 days,
- decoction of echinacea: take 1 teaspoon of chopped herb of the plant, pour 1 cup boiling water, hold in a water bath for 15–20 minutes, leave to infuse for 30 minutes, then strain. Take to improve immunity, strengthen memory and attention, relieve stress and normalize vision three times a day before meals. Single dose - 1/3 cup. The course of treatment is 10 days. After a 5-day break, the course can be repeated.
- чай из эхинацеи: взять 2 чайные ложки измельченной травы растения, залить 500 мл кипятка, настоять в течение 40 минут, затем процедить. Пить ежедневно по 1–2 чашки. This tea stimulates the immune system, rejuvenates and cleanses the entire body, helps with flu and cold, ulcers, boils, eczema and various inflammatory processes, promotes rapid recovery after surgery or long-term illness,
- tincture of echinacea: take 50 g of crushed herb of the plant, pour 1 liter of vodka and leave for 2-3 weeks in a dark place, shaking occasionally, then strain. Take with female and male infertility, prostate adenoma, to enhance potency, with female inflammatory processes, gastritis, gastric ulcer, obesity, vascular spasms three times a day for 20-30 minutes before meals. Single dose - 20-30 drops. The course of treatment is 10 days. You can spend two repeated courses with breaks of 3 days,
- lotions and compresses: take 1.5 tablespoons of crushed herb of the plant, pour 1 cup boiling water and leave in a thermos for 2–3 hours, then strain. Use in the form of compresses and lotions for psoriasis, eczema, boils, abscesses, acne, acne, herpes, urticaria, burns, wounds, warts, abscesses, to remove age spots and freckles, insect bites and streptococcal infections.
Information about the drug is generalized, is provided for informational purposes and does not replace the official instructions. Self-treatment is dangerous for health!
During life, the average person produces as many as two large pools of saliva.
Many drugs initially marketed as drugs. Heroin, for example, was originally marketed as a remedy for baby cough. And cocaine was recommended by doctors as anesthesia and as a means of increasing endurance.
The weight of the human brain is about 2% of the entire body mass, but it consumes about 20% of the oxygen entering the blood. This fact makes the human brain extremely susceptible to damage caused by lack of oxygen.
Work that is not to the person’s liking is much more harmful for his psyche than lack of work at all.
Caries is the most common infectious disease in the world, which even the flu cannot compete with.
According to a WHO study, a half-hour daily conversation on a mobile phone increases the likelihood of a brain tumor by 40%.
Even if a man’s heart does not beat, he can still live for a long period of time, as the Norwegian fisherman Jan Revsdal showed us. His "motor" stopped at 4 o'clock after the fisherman got lost and fell asleep in the snow.
Most women are able to get more pleasure from contemplating their beautiful body in the mirror than from sex. So, women, strive for harmony.
Our kidneys are able to clean three liters of blood in one minute.
A person taking antidepressants will in most cases suffer from depression again. If a person copes with depression by his own strength, he has every chance to forget about this state forever.
There are very curious medical syndromes, for example, obsessive ingestion of objects. In the stomach of one patient suffering from this mania, 2500 foreign objects were found.
In order to say even the shortest and simplest words, we will use 72 muscles.
Everyone has not only unique fingerprints, but also a tongue.
With regular visits to the tanning bed, the chance of getting skin cancer increases by 60%.
If your liver stopped working, death would have occurred within 24 hours.
The heart is the main organ, thanks to whose work the vital activity of a person is maintained. Young people rarely have problems with the work of the heart.
Planting, harvesting and storage
Echinacea grass does not require complex care, has a pleasant aroma, due to the decorative used in landscape design. It is grown in home gardens. Reproduction occurs in a vegetative way and seeds. After dividing the bush young sprout planted in spring or autumn. The flower is frost-resistant, but in severe winters they cover with a layer of peat and fir spruce branches. For the cultivation of echinacea suitable fertile soil with drainage, the grass is poorly taken root on sandy soils. To plant it, choose a sunny plot - the flower is light-requiring and dies in a dark place.
Medicinal properties have purple and narrow-leaved varieties. For the collection of raw materials, the plant is taken from the second year of vegetation. During flowering in July - August, cut off the leaves and not yet opened buds. Evenly distribute the grass on paper in a well-ventilated place protected from the direct rays of the sun. Harvest the roots in late autumn, when the above-ground part of the plant dries out. Rinse thoroughly, cut into pieces and place in a dryer or oven. Keep the temperature below +50 ° C to prevent evaporation of the essential oil. After drying, transfer the raw material to tightly closed glass containers. The grass retains useful qualities of 6 months, roots - 2-3 years.
Echinacea for men
Due to the anti-inflammatory and immunomodulating properties, plant-based preparations are used in the treatment of diseases of the urogenital area. The constituents inhibit the growth of pathogenic microflora, accelerate the excretion of harmful substances, and activate the process of regeneration of the affected tissues. When inflammation of the prostate gland grass fights infection, increases the body's natural defenses, relieves pain.
The healing plant helps to support a weakened immune system, prevent complications. Echinacea is prescribed for malignant neoplasms in the urogenital system as an adjuvant.
Acceptance of infusions increases male potency, but the biologically active components that make up the grass worsen sperm motility. When planning conception with Echinacea, it is preferable to replace with similar drugs with another active ingredient or reduce dosage.
Healing plant for women's health
The herb is used in gynecology and endocrinology as an additional tool. Under the influence of preparations with a flower extract, the work of the adrenal glands and the thyroid gland improves, the hormonal background is normalized. Echinacea is used in inflammatory processes in the cervix and ovaries, cystitis, candidiasis, chlamydia. Acting as an immunomodulator, the herb increases resistance to infections, stops the reproduction of fungi and bacteria.
Medicinal plant copes with the suppression of HPV viruses and herpes. Echinacea is also useful in the treatment of STDs. Grass improves skin condition, eliminates acne, reduces itching during allergic rashes. Acceptance of decoctions and infusions reduces appetite, improves the functioning of the intestines, speeds up the metabolism, removes excess fluids and toxins, which helps with weight loss.
The value of medicinal plants for children
Frequent diseases weaken the immunity of toddlers and schoolchildren; on the background of non-treated acute respiratory viral infections, complications develop with new contact with viruses. Regular use of drugs with plant extract is an effective prevention of infection in the epidemic season and a way to catch cold less often. The decoction taken at the first sign of the flu will speed recovery and facilitate the progression of the disease.
When tonsillitis, pharyngitis, laryngitis gargling with herbal infusion reduces inflammation, stops the growth of pathogenic microorganisms. The drug "Immunal", which includes Echinacea is used from one year, other tablets are recommended with 4, tincture - with 12. Be sure to agree on a treatment regimen with a pediatrician. If the baby is allergic, start with a small dosage, carefully monitor the reaction of the body.
The pharmacy sells a number of drugs with an extract of medicinal herbs in various forms: Immunorm, Estiphan, Dr. Theiss in tablets and drops, Echinacea Compositum in ampoules for intramuscular injections. For children, there are candies, lozenges, syrups. In homeopathy, Echinacea Premium capsules are used as a source of hydroxycinnamic acids. And they also sell ready-made alcohol tincture or medicinal herbs. It is easy to make healing tools at home. Traditional medicine uses echinacea for the prevention and treatment of infectious diseases.
To grow raw materials yourself, plant flowers in areas remote from industrial plants and highways. Collect leaves and buds from healthy, unaffected pests and plant fungus.
Colds, runny nose, flu, ORVI
Take a teaspoon of finely chopped roots and leaves, 3–4 dried inflorescences, brew 500 ml of boiling water. Leave to infuse for 40 minutes. Strain, at the first symptoms of indisposition, drink a glass of medicinal tea 3 times a day.
When supercooling, take 30 g of petals and leaves, 500 ml of hot water, boil for 15 minutes, pour into a thermos. After 4-5 hours, strain, take with honey or raspberry jam three times a day, 125 ml.
Prevention, increase immunity
Pour 200 ml of boiling water with a teaspoon of crushed raw materials, place the container in a water bath for 10–15 minutes, filter after cooling. Take 100 ml three times before meals. The decoction has a strengthening effect, stimulates the body's immune defense. The course of treatment is 14-21 days. Useful infusion of 2 tablespoons of dried herbs and 250 ml of cold water. Leave at 9-10 hours, strain, drink 150 ml 2 times a day for two weeks.
Cystitis and urethritis
Echinacea relieves inflammation, activates natural immunity. To prepare the flower broth, pour a handful of dried flower buds into a thermos, steam it with a liter of boiling water. Let it stand, take 50–100 ml 3-5 times a day.
Combined collection also helps. Mix in equal parts yarrow, bearberry, echinacea flowers. 10 g of herbs, pour 300 ml of hot water, heat over low heat for 15 minutes. Cover the container with a blanket or blanket, leave for an hour. Filter, bring the volume to the original, drink 80 ml of food.
Diseases of the digestive tract
Salt 450 ml of boiling water with a tablespoon of minced raw material, boil for 20-25 minutes. Cool, filter. Take in the form of heat 100-150 ml three times a day to normalize the work of the digestive system.
50 g of dried leaves and buds pour 500 ml of 70% alcohol. Put in a dark cool place, shake the container daily. After 2-3 weeks, strain the solution. Eat 20 drops before meals 3 times during the day. After 10 days, take a break of the same duration. Indications for use of tinctures - gastritis, chronic constipation, ulcerative lesions of the stomach and 12 duodenal ulcer.
Headache, joint pain
Brew a teaspoon of leaves with 200 ml of boiling water, place in a water bath for 10 minutes. Leave it under the lid for 1 hour. Filter, drink before eating 100 ml. Improves the condition of migraines and insomnia, a mixture of powdered roots, flowers, leaves and honey in a ratio of 1 to 3. Use with tea 3 times a day.
For benign prostatic hyperplasia, a healing herb extract is useful. Take fresh or dried leaves, place them on the bottom of a glass container, add vodka in a ratio of 1 to 10. Place in a dark cool place for 2 weeks. Filter, drink 20-25 drops three times a day before meals.
With the development of a viral, bacterial, fungal infection, pathogenic microflora spreads throughout the body. Penetrating to the regional lymph nodes in the groin and on the neck, it causes inflammation. This is manifested by swelling, soreness of the skin around the affected focus.
Echinacea bioactive substances help to restore the protective functions of the immune system, reduce pain, stop the growth of germs. Therapy is combined with antibiotics and antiviral drugs. With an increase in intramammary nodes, women undergo ultrasound in order to eliminate complications.
Alcohol tincture is suitable for adults: they dissolve 10 drops in water and take it 4 times a day. For a child, syrup will be a safe substitute. For cooking, pour 4 tbsp. l chopped roots 350 ml boiling water, boil for 20 minutes. Add 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves. Allow to cool, filter, enter 4-5 Art. l honey For children from 3 to 10 years old, give 5 ml of syrup three times a day. The resorption of enlarged lymph nodes will accelerate the use of compresses. Soak the gauze cloth diluted in a 1: 2 ratio with tincture, cover with a cotton layer and fix in the affected place.
Inflammation of the mouth and throat
Grind Art. l raw materials, brew a glass of boiling water, let it brew for 1 hour. Filter, use for rinsing 3-4 times a day. It is permissible to use alcohol tincture (two teaspoons per 250 ml of water). Procedures relieve pain and inflammation, destroy pathogens, stimulate the restoration of damaged mucous membranes.
Nervous disorders, stress, chronic fatigue
30 g of buds pour 0.5 liters of boiling water, keep on moderate heat for 10–15 minutes. Cover the container, leave for 3 hours. Filter, drink 100 ml three times a day before meals. To prepare the tincture, take 10 g of finely chopped roots with 100 ml of alcohol. After 24 hours, strain, take 20-30 drops 3 times a day.
Open wounds, boils, ulcers, burns
The juice of the plant has an antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, regenerating effect. Use it for washes and lotions. Substances in the grass increase blood clotting and accelerate healing. Juice will also help with insect bites, eczema, psoriasis. When using alcohol tincture, add 40–60 drops in 100 ml of saline, soak gauze in liquid, apply to the affected area and fix with a bandage. Change the compress twice a day.
In a glass of water, take art. l dry the roots and roast the solution for 30 minutes. Cool, filter. Use for oral administration (2 tablespoons 4 times a day), washings and eye compresses.
After removal of papillomas, the herbal tincture will help to raise the immunity and prevent recurrence of the disease. Pour vegetable raw materials with 70% alcohol in the ratio of 1 to 10, insist 2 weeks. After filtration, take the solution 15–20 drops three times a day for 30–45 days.
Use for skin and hair
In cosmetology, the flower is used to combat acne, inflammation, redness. Creams and tonics with an extract of a medicinal plant smooth fine wrinkles, refresh the face, improve skin color. Echinacea juice with distilled water in the ratio of 1 to 2, it is useful to use for washing in the morning and evening to get rid of acne, speed healing, normalize the sebaceous glands.
To make the curls look shiny and healthy, do not split up and do not fall out, apply cosmetic masks with healing herbs on the roots. Mix 3 tablespoons of burdock oil with 15 ml of Echinacea infusion, apply to hair, rinse after 1 hour. It is useful to apply the decoction for rinsing. To prepare, pour a liter of boiling water st. l leaves and petals, leave on low heat for 15 minutes. Filter, use the solution after shampooing.
Prolonged use of the drug causes malfunction of the immune system, increasing the body's susceptibility to harmful bacteria and viruses. Marked pressure surges, sleep disturbances, increased heart rate. Overdose provokes the development of diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, sometimes body temperature rises.
To avoid unwanted side effects, do not take the drug for a long time without interruption. Acceptable course of admission - 6-8 weeks. When using pharmacy drugs follow the recommendations specified in the instructions.
Grass is a possible allergen, so be careful if you are sensitive to plants of the family of the Compositae. The manifestations of individual intolerance to echinacea include reddening of the skin, swelling, urticaria, itching, breathing problems, chest tightness. If allergic reactions develop, take an antihistamine tablet and seek medical attention.
Plant height reaches 80-120 cm. Stems are straight or slightly branchy, covered with bristly hairs. The many-headed rhizome is strongly branched, numerous roots penetrate deep into the soil, and have a very pungent taste on the section.
The leaves are divided into two types: stem and basal:
- Stem leaves have a lanceolate form, narrowed to the petiole, differ in juicy green color, are rough to the touch. On a stalk settle down sequentially.
- Basal leaves are slightly serrated, arranged on long petioles collected in rosettes. The shape resembles a wide oval, sharply narrowed to the petiole.
Blossoms at 2 years of life. The beginning of flowering falls late May - early July, the duration of this period is up to 75 days. Inflorescences are purple-violet, rather large baskets and in shape resemble chamomile. The size of the baskets is 10-12 cm. The core consists of tubular flowers of a reddish or brown color and protrudes dome-shaped over the inflorescence. Reed flowers are pointed at the ends, have an underdeveloped pistil, and bisexual tubular differ in a reddish-brown color.
Хорошо размножается семенами, выращивается через рассаду. Может размножаться разделением корневища. Плодоносят только трубчатые цветки. Плод представляет собой четырехгранные, продолговатые семянки бурого цвета, длиной 5–6 мм, с маленьким хохолком.
Истории и сферы применения
For the first time Echinacea was described by Carl Linney in botany writings. Since the 70s of the 20th century, it has been grown as a garden crop, several varieties have been bred.
Soviet scientist S. A. Tomilin studied this plant in great detail and recommended Echinacea preparations for tonsillitis, sore throat, depression, fatigue (mental and physical), parameterize, inflammatory processes in internal organs, infectious diseases of acute and chronic course (typhoid fever, erysipelas, diphtheria, osteomyelitis, cerebral meningitis), as well as for the treatment of wounds, burns, ulcers. His work has largely contributed to the introduction of plants in traditional medicine and homeopathy.
In folk medicine, the plant was used to a greater extent for the treatment of various infections and injuries.
Some varieties of plants, including purple, grown by gardeners for decorative purposes, adorn the flower beds and front gardens. It blooms beautifully and long, and looks very aesthetically pleasing, and they stand in a vase for a long time after cutting.
Collection and harvesting, cultivation
In folk medicine, it is recommended to harvest all parts of the plant:
- flower baskets are cut from the stems in July-August,
- grass - at the very beginning of flowering,
- roots with rhizomes that are at least 4 years old - in late autumn.
The roots are washed and dried in the shade. Grass and buds are also dried in the air, in a well-ventilated place, in the shade.
Shelf life of grass is 6 months, inflorescences - 1 year, roots - 2 years.
Seeds of this useful plant can be purchased in the gardening department of the store. They will have to be germinated for a long time, more than a month, so they should be planted in February (they like heat and moisture). Seedlings are planted in the ground at the end of May, in a light, fertilized soil, choosing a well-lit place. Flowering bushes begins at 2 years.
Bole simple way - the division of the root. This can be done in spring or autumn, planting part of the root overgrown deep in the hole.
Echinacea herb - healing and beneficial properties
Echinacea is a perennial plant of the Astrov family. Despite the fact that the plant’s homeland is in the east of the North American continent, tall grass stems crowned with purple-pink buds can be found in most of our household plots.
For many gardeners, Echinacea (or rudbeckia) is, above all, an ornamental plant. However, the healing properties of the flower are known even to people far from gardening. This is not surprising - many popular medicines have been created on the basis of the herb extract.
The plant owes its healing capabilities to a rich chemical composition.
Due to the presence of essential oils, vitamins A, C and E, organic acids, natural antimycotics, glycosides, tannins, antioxidants and trace elements such as iron, selenium, silicon and calcium, the total benefit of echinacea is equal to the action of several drugs, including multivitamin complexes and antibiotics.
The use of plants provides a therapeutic result in several directions.
Echinacea purpurea actives:
- participate in blood formation
- stimulate the formation of bones, nail plates, hair and teeth,
- prevent cell aging,
- prevent the development of tumors
- stimulate the synthesis of interferon and increase immunity,
- bind free radicals and toxins and contribute to their conclusion,
- support the recovery of damaged tissue,
- enhance the protective potential of the liver.
It is characteristic that, unlike other medicinal herbs, all terrestrial parts of Echinacea purpurea, both inflorescences and stems with leaves, are of pharmacological interest.
What diseases helps?
The powerful effect of the active components of Echinacea purpurea enhances the therapeutic effect in the treatment of most infectious diseases (including venereal), as well as in exacerbations of a neurological nature.
The use of plant extracts is indicated for:
- respiratory and viral diseases - influenza, acute respiratory infections,
- chronic diseases - hepatitis, rheumatoid arthritis, prostatitis, nephritis and cystitis,
- skin lesions - purulent wounds, trophic ulcers, boils, eczema, psoriasis, burns, including sunburns,
- pathologies of ENT organs - rhinitis, pharyngitis, tonsillitis, sinusitis,
- fungal infections - thrush, trichophytia,
- infectious pathologies - lesions of the urinary tract, gonorrhea, syphilis, typhoid fever, scarlet fever, meningitis, typhoid, malaria, diphtheria, human papilloma virus.
In addition, the use of echinacea is appropriate for septic processes, bee stings, mosquitoes and snakes, exacerbation of the herpes virus, hemorrhoids, cancer processes, streptococcal infections, as well as headaches and dizziness.
Echinacea for immunity
Due to its potent immunomodulatory properties, Echinacea herb is recognized worldwide as one of the most effective medicinal plants for enhancing immunity. The impact of the grass is expressed in increasing the resistance of cells to defeat by pathogenic microorganisms.
Echinacea purpurea not only prevents the penetration of microbes through the cell membrane, but also blocks the very possibility of their spread throughout the body.
Moreover, the active substances of the herb contribute to an increase in the number of leukocytes in the blood, enhance phagocytic processes and stimulate the production of immunoglobulins.
Benefits for children
Echinacea purpurea has received the most successful and widespread use in the treatment of childhood respiratory diseases. Strengthening the body's resistance to the defeat of a viral infection, the plant can not only shorten the recovery period, but also strengthen the immune system.
No less effective plant extracts are used for the prevention of childhood diseases.
Due to the existence of plants such as Echinacea purpurea, the possibility of curing herbal cancer has gained real prospects.
It is proved that the use of funds from Echinacea stops the development of malignant tumors in the initial stage.
One of the components in the composition of the herb, the glycoprotein, has the ability to directly affect atypical cells.
In addition, the overall impact of the active ingredients in the plant provides strong support for the immune system:
- increases the number of phagocytic cells,
- stimulates the synthesis of interferon,
- enhances the functionality of T-lymphocytes,
- promotes the production of immunoglobulins that neutralize the action of antigens.
Echinacea-based medication is a great way to prevent cancer.
It is known that most traditional medicines are contraindicated to expectant mothers, so preference is usually given to herbal products. And since Echinacea is included in the list of the most popular immunomodulatory plants, it is chosen first.
However, medical opinions on this issue are not so straightforward. The reason is that studies of the effect of echinacea on the development of pregnancy and the fetus was conducted very little. And although there were no specific contraindications for treatment of echinacea in pregnant women, doctors do not recommend the use of plant-based products for more than a week.
Echinacea for colds
The most important property of echinacea is the ability to strengthen the immune system and support the body in the fight against pathogens. The use of plants during cold allows you to use the entire rich composition of the plant and thus increase the level of resistance to any microorganisms, including viruses.
Research scientists have shown that regular use of echinacea extract reduces the likelihood of developing colds by 55%.
Instructions for use of Echinacea
You can use the healing power of Echinacea purpurea by using a decoction, tincture and tea from a plant, or you can use ready-made pharmaceutical preparations based on it.
Echinacea tincture is a drug created on the basis of an extract from the roots of a plant and ethyl alcohol 60%. In addition, alcoholic tincture of echinacea can be made at home. To do this, four parts of crushed plant materials are poured with one part of alcohol with a strength of 70% and maintained for a month.
Take this tincture should be 15 drops before meals - adding to tea or diluting with water.
The use of tincture is indicated for patients prone to frequent respiratory diseases and patients with slowly healing trophic ulcers.
Echinacea-based drugs are also available in the form of tablets, the pharmacological activity of which is provided by the action of the herb juice. Among the indications for taking pills based on echinacea purpurea juice are colds, flu, long-term antibiotic treatment, and preventive measures.
Children from 4 to 12 years old take one tablet three times a day. The dose for adults is two tablets three times a day. With colds, the number of doses is recommended to be increased to five times a day.
Broths and teas of Echinacea purpurea are prepared at home.
To prepare the broth take 10 g of dry plants and 500 ml of water. The tool is brought to readiness with a weak boil, then insist about three hours in a warm place and filter.
Take a decoction of echinacea need before eating. Children up to 7 years old - one tablespoon; children from 7 to 14 years old - two or three tablespoons in two weeks. A single dose for adults - half a cup of broth.
In ampoules or capsules
Intramuscular administration of Echinacea purpurea is possible with the use of the complex preparation "Echinacea Compositum". The composition of the tool, in addition to echinacea, includes several medicinal plants with anti-inflammatory, immunomodulatory and detoxification properties.
A single dose of an injection for children depends on the age and weight of the patient, therefore it is determined by a doctor. Adults are shown to administer a single vial of 2.2 ml three times a week.
Characteristic signs of allergies are:
- urticaria, erythema and itchy rashes all over the body,
- cough, runny nose, sneezing,
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea,
- weakness, feeling tired, dizzy,
The most pronounced manifestation of adverse reactions is angioedema.
If you experience the slightest indisposition after taking the medication on the basis of echinacea, you must stop taking the drug and consult a doctor immediately.
Doctors are considered undesirable use of plant-based products in the following cases:
- with tuberculosis,
- after organ transplants,
- if the patient has a history of allergic reactions to plants of the Asteraceae family - chamomile, chrysanthemum, marigold,
- with liver dysfunctions.
The use of Echinacea in autoimmune and systemic pathologies such as leukemia, AIDS, HIV infection is strongly contraindicated.
Also, it is not necessary to use products based on the plants under discussion as an additional immunomodulator when taking drugs with a similar effect.
Echinacea purpurea is an amazing gift of nature, able to restore health only if there is a reasonable approach to treatment and under the watchful medical supervision.
Mechanism of action
The plant has a very complex chemical composition - in a complex all the useful substances have a pronounced immunostimulating effect:
- increase the phagocytic activity of macrophages,
- stimulate chemotaxis
- promote the release of cytokines.
During the course of treatment, there is an increase in the nonspecific immune response and resistance to the action of adverse factors.
The plant is part of more than 240 drugs, including patented drugs for the treatment of AIDS.
Plant monopreparations are used in a variety of conditions:
- mental and physical exhaustion,
- mental depression
- infectious diseases: scarlet fever, erysipelas, gonorrhea, osteomyelitis, angina, tonsillitis, cerebrospinal meningitis, septic conditions,
- respiratory and viral diseases: ARVI, herpes, influenza, viral rhinitis (treatment and prevention),
- inflammatory diseases: rheumatoid arthritis, polyarthritis, hepatitis, nephritis, cystitis, adnexitis, prostatitis, gastritis, pancreatitis, cervical erosion,
- diseases associated with metabolic disorders: diabetes, obesity, liver disease (as a drug to improve the immune system),
- leukopenia caused by irradiation or treatment with cystostatics,
- violations of potency
- male and female infertility (in complex treatment),
- in the complex treatment of alcoholism and smoking,
- condition after surgery, long-term antibiotic treatment, chemotherapy,
- pain syndrome: headache and joint pain,
- skin lesions: eczema, psoriasis, burns, frostbite, trophic ulcers, purulent deep wounds, carbuncles, abscesses, insect bites.
It is used for prophylactic purposes in case of early signs of colds, with long-term antibacterial therapy, for the recovery of persons who have undergone radiation or living in areas unfavorable for radiation.
There are documented cases of cure of Echinacea in patients suffering from cutaneous lupus erythematosus, although autoimmune diseases are a contraindication to treatment.
Doctors advise the use of plant preparations at the first signs of a cold or flu along with the main treatment: the plant is able to increase the effectiveness of traditional therapies by 20-40%.
Since the beginning of the use of folk healers, the plant has been of interest for official medicine. Scientific studies of the properties and capabilities of echinacea have been and are still being conducted in many countries. We give some of them.
- In 2001, domestic scientists conducted a double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the efficacy of plant preparations in the treatment of patients with ARVI. The study involved 80 people, each of whom had early symptoms of ARVI. The patients were divided into 2 groups: 1 group received Echinacea purpurea, 2 - placebo. According to the results of the observation, the average duration of the disease in the 1st group was 6 days, in the second - This led to the conclusion that the plant preparations can reduce the duration of viral infections.
- A parallel double-blind study was conducted to study the effect of plant drugs on the severity and frequency of colds and influenza in people with increased susceptibility. 108 patients were involved in the trial: half of them received 2-4 ml of echinacea juice per day, and the second group received a placebo. Patients who received the juice of the plant, rarely ached, and the periods between the diseases became longer, the symptoms - less serious. Thus, the expediency of using echinacea in patients with a reduced immune response has been proven.
- Another study only confirmed the effectiveness of plant preparations in the treatment of viral infections of the upper respiratory tract. 282 healthy people of 18-65 years old who previously had colds 2 or more times a year took part in this scientific work. At the first signs of a cold, half of the patients from the diseased received an extract of echinacea: 10 doses for the earliest symptoms of the disease, and 4 doses for 7 consecutive days. Patients were examined on day 3 and 8 of the illness.
During the observation period, 128 people fell ill: 59 of them received Echinacea extract, and 69 received a placebo. In patients taking the extract, the symptoms of the disease were 23.1% weaker.
- The results of a study conducted by mice from Canadian University of McGill suggested that the plant’s preparations prolong the life of patients suffering from leukemia. Significant genetic similarity allows extrapolating the results of the study to humans, but additional tests are needed.
The study was conducted on mice with leukemia. After 13 months of using echinacea drugs, 74% of the mice from the experimental group remained alive, while the survival of animals that did not receive the drug was only 46%. An increase in the number of natural killer cells in the spleen and bone tissue of mice treated with the plant preparation was also noted. Based on this, scientists have concluded that the use of plant preparations is useful for preventive purposes - to increase the number of immune cells that play a key role in protecting against oncopathology, the risk of which increases with age.
- Echinacea can be used as an auxiliary drug in the treatment of cancer. The study involved 55 patients after a course of radiotherapy: 85% had a stable number of leukocytes. In patients who did not take the drug of the plant, a steady decrease in the number of leukocytes was observed.
- Противовоспалительные свойства растения позволяют использовать его в качестве вспомогательного средства в терапии ревматоидного артрита. Одно из недавних исследований доказало, что применение 15 капель экстракта растения, принимаемых трехкратно в день позволяет снизить выраженность воспалительной реакции на 20-25 %.
Preparations of the plant increase the body's natural defenses, have a stimulating effect on the immune system. Moreover, the positive effects "work" not only in adults, but also in children with a still unformed immune system, and in older persons, whose protective functions are reduced due to the general aging of the body.
Universal spirit tincture of Echinacea
It can be used for all the pathologies listed above, with the exception of alcoholism, because it contains alcohol.
Raw crushed root or fresh flowers pour 70% alcohol 1: 4 and insist in a dark place for 1 month or more. Take half or whole teaspoon 3 times a day for 10 days in a row.
The same tincture can be applied externally (half diluted with cooled boiled water) to treat wounds, carbuncles, abscesses and healing burns (treatment, wet compresses). It also helps with herpes (cauterization of herpetic eruptions 3-5 times a day.).
The second recipe for tincture of vodka
It helps with the onset of acute respiratory viral infections, is used for the prevention of viral infections.
Take the flowers of Echinacea, put them in a half-liter jar, so that the volume was filled to the top, pour high-quality vodka and tightly close the lid. Insist in a dark place for 40 days. Next, drain and strain the drug. Take 15 drops in half an hour before meals, diluting in a small amount of water or adding tincture to tea, 3 times a day.
Tincture of raw plant root
Recommended for the treatment of chronic gastritis, pancreatitis, psoriasis and allergic rashes on the skin and mucous membranes.
Take 1 part of raw roots and pour 5 parts of vodka on them, insist in a dark place for 30 days. Take 15-20 drops, diluted in water, 3 times a day.
It helps with flu, colds, inflammatory processes, after serious illnesses, operations, after treatment with antibiotics, in alcoholism. It can also be used for eczema, ulcers and boils.
Take 3 pcs. fresh echinacea flowers or dry raw materials from crushed roots and leaves (2 tsp), pour half liter of boiling water and leave for 40 minutes. To prevent diseases, it is enough to take 1 glass per day, and for treatment - 3 glasses per day. This tea rejuvenates the body, slows down the aging process.
Recommended for flu and colds, cough, swelling, stomach ulcers, headaches, pain in the joints. It also improves eyesight, stimulates appetite, normalizes pressure, is characterized by a tonic and tonic effect. With streptococcal infections of the skin, psoriasis and snake bites, local lotions are made from the decoction to damaged skin.
Take 1 tsp. fresh or dried leaves of echinacea, pour 200 ml of water, heat in a water bath for half an hour, and then insist, drain. Take the third part of a glass 3 times a day, before meals.
It is recommended for prophylactic use in the winter period of time, during the cold season. Strengthens the immune system, stimulates physical activity, relieves fatigue.
Take 30 grams. fresh or dried flowers, put in an enamel saucepan, pour 500 ml of boiling water, close the roof and boil for 10 minutes. Insist warm for 4-5 hours, strain and add to taste syrup, sugar, honey or juice. Drink half a glass 3 times a day.
Fresh inflorescence juice
Helps to speed up the healing process of wounds, heals acne, ulcers, warts, with prolonged use eliminates pigment spots and freckles. Effective in the treatment of SARS.
To obtain it, the inflorescences are crushed and squeezed out of the pulp juice. Apply undiluted 3-5 ml per day. before meals. Outwardly - the affected skin is treated 3-4 times a day.
Oil extract from plant roots
It helps in the treatment of peptic ulcer, gastritis. Lotions with the drug used in the treatment of burns, bedsores. Tampons moistened with beneficial oil helps in the treatment of cervical erosion (injected overnight).
Take 1 cup of unrefined olive oil and 50 grams. crushed roots, insist for 1 month. To accept inside on 1 h. 60 minutes before meals twice a day.
Echinacea for children
Herbalists and folk healers recommend the use of plant preparations in pediatrics, starting from 1 year. Representatives of official medicine are somewhat more reserved with such conclusions and advised not to use echinacea drugs before 3 years. Preferred dosage forms - syrup, tea, decoction. Alcohol tincture can be used for children up to 12 years only externally, for the treatment of acne, skin damage.
Echinacea preparations are recommended for children, primarily to strengthen the immune defense and increase resistance to infectious agents that children constantly face in kindergarten and school. Also used in the treatment of viral and bacterial infections of the respiratory system, upper respiratory tract, oral cavity, skin and urinary tract.
Side effects are extremely rare and can be the following:
- weakness, feeling tired,
- headache and dizziness,
- body aches,
- dyspeptic symptoms
- pain and sore throat.
Overdose and excess of the recommended courses of treatment leads to the opposite effect - decrease in self-immunity
In patients with hypersensitivity to the components of drugs, there may be swelling, redness on the skin, itching, shortness of breath, rash, a sharp deterioration in health - these are possible allergic reactions that, if ignored, can develop anaphylactic shock!
If any adverse reactions occur during treatment, you should immediately stop taking the drug and consult your doctor for advice on the appropriateness of continuing therapy.