Phacelia pizhmolistnaya - is an annual plant, which belongs to the leaders among honey plants. Treats derived from this plant have a pleasant taste as well as aroma. In addition, it has healing properties inherent in all bee products.
Phacelia is referred to the aquifer family, and is an annual plant. This herb was brought to Russia from North and South America.
The plant is straight, grows up to one meter in height, it has about 20 lateral processes. The stem is juicy and very fragile. The leaves of Phacelia are pinnately-dissected, and the flowers are bluish-gray resembling a bell and have a delicate aroma. The inflorescence consists of 4–9 bells.
The first flowers, bloom a month after planting seeds in the ground. Flowering continues for two months without stopping. This can be explained by the structure of the inflorescence, which is represented by sharply curled curls. With gradual unwinding, a gradual flowering occurs. Hot days accelerate this process, and inclement delay.
The grass grows in almost all types of soil, even in clay. She is not afraid of temperature drops and does not need frequent watering. Phacelia is included in the group of phytosanitary crops. Greens contain a large number of phytoncides, so it is not afraid of parasites, as well as pests.
Reference! This herb is most common in the Crimea, the Altai Territory, the Caucasus, Siberia and, of course, in the Novosibirsk region.
Nectar productivity and medoproduktivnost
On one phacelia is from 200 to 400 flowers. That is why it is so in demand by beekeepers. The period of gradual blooming of flowers is long in some cases, up to 45 days. Each flower has five stamens and one pistil. At the bottom of the flower is a green ovary, which is surrounded by glands that produce nectar.
Bee collects nectar
Phacelia nectar is reliably protected from the rays of the sun and does not dry out. Therefore, the bees easily enough to get nectar even on the hottest days.
It is because of this ability that the plant became popular in regions with hot and arid climates.
In Western Siberia, the bees of one hive can collect up to 6 kg of honey per day. And the average value of medoproduktivnosti is 200–300 kg per hectare. In Buryatia, these figures are 180 kg / ha, in the Far East - up to 255 kg / ha, and in the south of the Russian Federation - up to 350 kg / ha.
Growing farm phacelia, they get not only a large amount of delicacy, but also 3 centners per hectare of seeds. That brings substantial profit.
The most nectarproductive flowers are considered the first, blossoming in the inflorescence. The further the flower is located from the base of the inflorescence and closer to the top, the less it produces nectar. Thus, the lower flowers produce 1.15 mg, the average - 0.7 mg, and the top 0.15 mg.
Scientists noted that most of all nectar is produced in the morning. Therefore, at this time the number of bees increases, and after dinner begins to decrease. Pollen is the opposite. Her insects collect more in the afternoon.
In dry years, phacelia continues to produce nectar and the bees collect the usual amount of treats.
Important! The plant is able to withstand frosts down to -9⁰ and continues to grow further when the temperature rises and produce nectar, but in smaller quantities.
Cultivation and production of phacelia seeds
The plant is unpretentious in the care. However, it grows better in sunny places. If it is sown in shady places, on poor soil, then fewer flowers develop on the side shoots.
Phacelia prefers to grow at temperatures up to 28⁰. Experienced beekeepers note that when the air warmed above 26⁰, the number of insects on the plant increased.
Phacelia grows at temperatures up to 28⁰
The amount of nectar produced is influenced by the arrangement of rows in relation to the cardinal points. So, in the middle lane it is recommended to plant grass from east to west. And in the south of the country from north to south.
What is the best soil to grow?
The grass is undemanding to the soil, it can grow on:
Phacelia grows even in wastelands and in unfertilized areas. However, the best results are obtained by growing on the drained fertile area.
According to the Bashkir scientists, the plant grows well in stony-gravel areas that are located on the slopes of the Southern Urals. From such sites bees collect from 200 to 400 kg / ha of honey.
Good honey harvest
On poor and heavy soils, phacelia develops poorly. It grows low in size, has few lateral processes. Bees do not like such plants, and they generally do not fly to them. This also applies to plants grown in salt marshes.
Reference! Planted seeds germinate already at 3-4, but friendly shoots will go only when the air warms up to 10. Shoots tolerate drought well, but do not like constant humidity.
Sow grass from the beginning of spring and continue to sow winter crops. Planting in several stages allows beekeepers to procure more delicacies, as they have constantly flowering plants.
Before sowing the soil is required to be cultivated and reared. Seeds fall to a depth of about 3 cm. On the area from 50 to 100 meters, you will need only 100 g of seeds.
The first shoots will turn in 7-10 days. They quickly grow and develop. For the best formation of lateral processes and more colors, it is recommended to feed once.
Phacelia has ripened seeds easily peeling off. If the middle part and the crown is still blooming, then the lower flowers have fallen and seeds have ripened in their place. Therefore, the plant is mown and left in wolves. There, the flowers and stems dry up, and the seeds thresh out much easier as a result.
Mow plants on seeds in the morning or in the evening. Then left in the wolf for 3-4 days. Then phacelia is threshed, and the resulting seeds are subjected to primary processing and drying.
Collecting phacelia seeds
If the grass seeds are left as they are, then microorganisms develop in them at high humidity and temperature. This leads to a decrease in the quality of the product and germination.
To avoid this, it is required to pass the seed mass through the main cleaning machine, and then dry it in special dryers at a temperature not exceeding 35⁰. The storage of seeds, folded in bags, occurs in a dry and well ventilated room. From one hectare, on average throughout the country, up to 5-6 centners of seeds are collected.
Useful properties of phacelia honey
About phacelia, few people know, although it is one of the most useful delicacies. It consists of more than 300 items useful for humans.
The color of the treat changes, immediately after pumping it is transparent, light and even has a bluish or greenish tint. This is due to the content of volatile production in large quantities. Then, during crystallization, the color changes, becomes whitish.
The composition of the treats a lot of fructose. Therefore, the taste is pleasant and sweet with the presence of tart notes.
If a person knows the plant and the aroma that flowers emanate, then he will immediately recognize this honey. They have the same flavor, which is one way to determine the quality of the product.
Attention! Delicacy does not crystallize for a long time, as it contains a lot of fructose. But when the process starts, it turns whitish masses resembling dough, which is perfectly smeared on bread.
Phacelia is a melliferous plant, from which a delicacy with a large list of useful properties is obtained.
Phacelia increases hemoglobin level
Useful properties of the treat:
- Increases hemoglobin level. If you constantly take a bee product for a month, the level of hemoglobin in the blood will rise.
- Diseases of the digestive tract. For ulcers, heartburn, gastritis, or low acidity of gastric juice, it is recommended to use the product for dietary nutrition.
- Pathology of the liver. Honey replenishes glycogen stores, speeds up metabolic processes and nourishes the cells.
- Restores sleep, struggles with the effects of stress, calms the nervous system.
- Normalizes blood cholesterol.
- Promotes the removal of toxins from the body.
- Fights manifestations of urolithiasis.
- Used in gynecology. Used to treat erosions, thrush, whiter.
In addition, the delicacy is used like any other beekeeping product to strengthen the immune system, prevent colds and for cosmetic purposes.
Important! In order for all the useful elements to be absorbed by the body, doctors recommend in the morning on an empty stomach to drink a glass of warm water with a diluted tablespoon of honey. The same can be done in the evening 40 minutes before bedtime.
Delicacy from phacelia restores strength and energizes. Constant use of the product avoids many diseases. But despite this, honey should be treated with care by people who have product intolerance or overweight.
Value in agriculture
Phacelia honey planting, planted both in the in-lane territories and on non-grounds. It is important in beekeeping to provide a supporting bribe during those periods when other honey plants did not bloom in nature.
Phacelia is resistant to some crop pests. Therefore, it is often planted near summer cottages, for example, near peas. On inflorescences of honey plant entomophages settle, willingly destroying larvae of pests.
After the honey harvest, the green part of the plant goes under plowing as a green fertilizer.
If you use mixed crops with other honey herbs, such as cereals or legumes, honey collection will increase markedly.
Species of importance in beekeeping:
- pizhmolistnaya or rowan.
Medonos phacelia description
The plant has a well-developed branched stem with a height of 30 to 60 centimeters. The placement of leaves is regular, oblong or ovate, the structure is pinnatisect. Flowers differ in the correct form, are collected in small inflorescences, have bluish-lilac color. Stamens in them beautifully protrude beyond the corolla.
After flowering spikelets are formed. Dark brown, wrinkled seeds 2-3 millimeters in size ripen in small boxes placed on spikelets.
Homeland honey - California. On the European continent, it is found only as an artificially cultivated plant.
Phacelia as a honey plant when sow
As already noted, phacelia as a honey plant is grown by humans in areas suitable for this plant. Therefore, the question of how and when to sow it is crucial for the productivity of apiaries.
To obtain seeds in sufficient quantities, it is necessary to sow a small batch of honey plant simultaneously with the planting of early spring crops.
To do this, plowing or digging a suitable site. Harrowing is carried out immediately. Acceptable quality of seed material - the second or third class. Consumption - a kilogram per hectare of cultivated area. Depth of landing - 2-3 centimeters.
Sowing between the rows of orchards or berry fields, followed by tilling in the fall for fertilizer, as well as mixing with legumes or cereals is allowed. You can sow honey plant in several terms - two or three times with an interval of one to two weeks.
Note: Phacelia is a green manure suitable for organic farming. It is used to saturate the soil with nitrogen, normalize the condition of the soil and weed control. Stems do not need to be removed from the site! It is enough to dig them in the fall, fertilizing the soil in this way.
Flowering grass begins one and a half months after sowing. Its duration depends on the weather and can be from 20 to 60 days. Abundant flowering. At the top of the stem, up to 70 small flowers are collected in a bunch, and on each side branch, the inflorescences consist on average of 40-50 flowering corolla.
Honey plant is sensitive to dry winds! They significantly reduce the secretion of nectar. Heat accelerates flowering, and the rains, on the contrary, delay it. But at the same time, the honey plant almost does not react to droughts and rainfall - nectar stands out steadily.
A characteristic feature - gradual flowering:
- bloom lasts for 7-14 days,
- rapid flowering takes two to three weeks,
- and another 7-14 days continues gradual fading.
Bees eagerly attend phacelia inflorescences throughout the day. Sometimes they can be seen on flowers even after sunset. The work of bees on phacelia is determined by a blue pollo (pollen) collected on insect legs.
Honey production per hectare is from 40 to 50 kilograms of marketable honey. When mixed with leguminous or cereal crops, yields increase significantly - up to 150-300 kilograms.
The resulting honey can have a different color from completely white to light green. Delicate herbaceous aroma.
After crystallization, the product resembles plastic dough. Suitable as winter feed for bee colonies.
Facet honey and pollen are extremely important for bee colonies. They replace other plants during the non-fetal periods, ensuring the development of young stock and increasing the strength of families. With simultaneous flowering with early spring crops, the plant increases the productivity of apiaries.
Phacelia honey plant useful properties:
- the plant has a restorative effect on the human body due to the content in honey of the whole vitamin-mineral complex,
- antibacterial effect is provided for colds, injuries and ulcers on the skin,
- facilitated the removal of mucus from the lungs in bronchitis and other inflammatory processes,
- help to remove toxins and slags is produced, honey also acts as a light diuretic,
- in cosmetology, phacelia honey is used to narrow enlarged pores on the face, fight acne and acne.
Share link to the article in social networks:
Phacelia is a unique culture that has a wide range of beneficial properties. It is used by flower growers, beekeepers, farmers and landscape designers of cultural zones. More often grown annual phacelia pizhmolistnuyu, as well as bell-shaped and twisted.
These plants describe its properties and value:
- Phacelia is a representative of the family borage, among which there are about 80 species.
- The pedigree of the plant originates from the southern and northern regions of America.. This characterizes the high adaptability of phacelia to the soils of the forest tundra of North America and the equatorial fertile soils of South America.
- The plant is highly resistant to frost. and sudden changes in temperature.
- Depending on the type of height from 20 cm to 1 m.
- In appearance - a herbaceous plant, with erect pubescent stems. The stem is bristly-wavy or pubescent.
- Leaves, depending on the species, are large-toothed or entire. Their location is the opposite or next. Mostly pinnatized or lobed.
- Honey flowers collected in a racemose, twisted or in the form of an umbrella inflorescence on short legs. The color of the inflorescences of species and varieties of phacelia is varied. Located in the color range of the spectrum from lilac to almost white.
- Flowering is prolonged in the first days of June. and ends with the last warm days of September. With the end of the growing season, small seeds of the plant hidden in the heart of the seed box ripen on the bushes.
- Honey flowering depends on weather conditions: lower temperatures, rainy and overcast weather reduce the nectar excretion of plants, therefore phacelia plantations in the south are more productive than northern ones.
During the growing season, the plant develops a thick mass of greenery, which is used by gardeners in compost boxes, it is added to the soil when digging, previously freed from seeds. Cattle breeders prefer grass phacelia and refer it to the high vitamin content of feed.
How to grow more crops?
It is pleasant to any gardener and summer resident to receive a big crop with large fruits. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to get the desired result.
Often plants lack nutrition and minerals.
In such cases, our readers recommend using BioGrow's innovative bio-fertilizer..
It has the following properties:
- Allows increase yield by 50% in just a few weeks of use.
- Can get good harvest even on low fertile soils and in adverse climatic conditions
- Absolutely safe
Properties of phacelia honey
- The value of honey like lime.
- Honey from phacelia flowers is practically colorless or has a light greenish tint.
- The crystallized honey is white, with a light floral aroma and a very delicate flavor.
- Bees overwinter in beehives, as honey in honeycombs does not crystallize.
- Honey collected in apiaries with planting phacelia, has a huge set of active substances, carbohydrate minerals, vitamins, which are shared with humans.
- The delicate aroma of honey flowers, an unusual taste makes this product a unique dessert on the table.
Useful properties of honey have long been used by folk healers:
- First of all, as a dietary product при нарушении работы пищеварительной системы, тошноте, гастрите. Приём мёда снижает боли в кишечнике, вызванные протекающими воспалительными процессами.
- When pain in the stomach is useful to take a mixture of honey and aloe juice and pounded walnuts. Take this mixture should be three times a day until the complete disappearance of pain.
- Honey with Kalanchoe juice and propolis alcohol extract, sustained in a water bath, helps to cure chronic gastritis with low acidity. Full recovery occurs in 2 months.
- Reception of dessert in the form of honeyIt has a beneficial effect on the nervous system.
- Honey for tea on the table will improve brain functionwill strengthen the memory.
- Constant intake of honey in the offseason replenishes the body with microelements., iron, calcium and other minerals.
- Normal levels of hemoglobin in the blood supports the systematic use of honey.
- Phacelia honey is not inferior to lime honey for the prevention of colds.
Some recommendations for use:
- Phacelia honey is taken as a dessert supplement to warm tea.
- Hot tea destroys the beneficial properties of honey.
- You can take honey with warm milk.
Characteristics of phacelium honey and storage conditions:
- For a long time honey retains its properties in a room with a temperature not higher than 10 0 С in wooden containers, except for coniferous products.
- Not suitable for storing honey metal packaging. Enameled and aluminum containers are considered good storage tanks for honey.
- After one year of storage, the structure of honey changes. There is a decrease in the content of glucose and fructose in its composition, the composition of vitamins and some active enzymes also change.
From contraindications to the use of honey include:
- individual intolerance,
- pregnancy and breastfeeding.
In the photo: what does the honey from phacelia of different shelf life look like?
Place and soil for planting
The uniqueness of a honey plant lies in its unpretentiousness to the ground on which it has to grow. Poor soil for no problem: in the process of growth it will find a way to enrich itMake fluffy loose and rich in useful elements.
On any soil, phacelia restores the balance of organic and mineral useful components of the soil on which it grows. Use as a siderata helps to improve the composition of the soil., provide the necessary air circulation.
In order for phacelia to rise and grow, delighting the eye with bright greens, and then with luxurious flowering, it is necessary to fulfill one condition during spring planting - the soil must be wet.
When to sow phacelia?
Phaselia for any purpose planted in early spring, after the snow melts until late autumn, before the onset of cold weather. However, it was found that fertile for flowering dates from June to July.
Seed placement with soil to a depth of no more than 3 cm is obligatory. The germination process of seeds slows down in the light.
When planting honey observe agrotechnology:
- Select a site protected from strong arid winds.well lit by the sun. Such conditions prolong the flowering of phacelia, increase the amount of nectar and pollen.
- The type of soil for planting honey does not matter, but will respond well to planting in cultivated, fertilized soil.
- Weed the area before planting, as phacelia is intolerable to weeds. While the honey plant does not grow, weeds are spit out. An adult plant itself will silence the weeds.
- Honey plant grows poorly on stony slopes.
Consider these nuances to get a healthy fit for phacelia, which is used for various purposes.
Video: how to sow phacelia manually
Honey of this class has such distinctive properties:
- delicate taste, pleasant, slightly tart,
- the smell is delicate and faint, floral,
- the viscosity is quite strong, honey is thick. After the crystallization process the consistency of the dough,
- It has a transparent color, after hardening it acquires a slightly white color. In some cases, it can be a light green or blue hue, so you should not worry if your honey has acquired such a color - this is normal,
- on average, the caloric value per 100 g of the product is 304 kcal. In other words, in one ordinary glass contains about 1 thousand kcal, and in an ordinary teaspoon - a little more than 35 kcal,
- collection time - in most cases throughout the summer, when the crops were carried out in stages, but most of the time falls between the collection of sunflower and linden,
- crystallization is very slow, and subsidence ends with the arrival of winters.
Phacelia is undemanding in care, but grows much better in well-lit areas. When it is sown in shady areas and poor soil, fewer flowers develop on the side shoots.
The plant likes to grow at a temperature not exceeding 28 degrees. From experienced beekeepers can be heard that when the air warmed up above 26 degrees, the number of insects on the plant increased.
On the amount produced Nectar is influenced by the placement of rows relative to the cardinal points. Therefore, it is necessary to plant grass in the middle lane from east to west. And on the southern side of the state - from north to south.
What soil to choose?
Phacelia unpretentious to the soil. This plant can be grown on such soils:
- peat soils,
The plant can grow even in uncultivated areas and wastelands. But the best results can be obtained when the grass grows in a dusty draining area.
According to the data of scientists from Bashkiria, the plant grows well on stony-gravelly lands, which are located on the slopes of the Southern Urals. From these areas, the bees manage to collect from 200 to 400 kg / ha of honey.
Features of fasselium honey
The plant phacelia honey plant has beneficial properties of products derived from its flowers studied quite well.
The product produced by bees from the nectar of an annual is one of the most valuable, healing and unique products. Facet honey is a rare variety of this product.
With good flowering with a planting area of one hectare, up to 1000 kg of products can be obtained. Phacélia tanacetifólia is a unique honey plant, since bees collect nectar even in the evening, this ability increases the time it takes to collect nectar.
Products obtained by bees from nectar, has a delicate aroma, has a pleasant taste and a slight tartness aftertaste. To some extent, this product resembles a fake one.
The color of the resulting product is light sometimes can appear a light greenish tint.
This type of product is not characterized by rapid crystallization, which is especially appreciated among beekeepers.
This property of the product determines that the majority of beekeepers in Western Siberia and the Altai Territory stock up on them for winter feeding of bees.
After the onset of crystallization, the product does not turn into a thick lump, but takes the form of a viscous and pasty mass.
Useful and healing properties of honey from Phacelia
The product of bee vital activity has excellent dietary qualities. It is recommended to use it in identifying diseases associated with disorders of the liver and stomach.
Indications for its use as a therapeutic and prophylactic agent may include:
- frequent heartburn
- various forms of gastritis,
- the development of inflammation in the intestines.
When detecting gastric diseases, phacelia honey is used in a mixture with walnut kernels or aloe juice and is taken three times a day. In the event that the medium in the stomach has a low acidity, then Kalanchoe is mixed with the product. In addition to the mixture is added alcoholic extract of propolis. The resulting mixture was kept on a steam bath for 5 minutes. The resulting remedy is taken internally.
Reliably established beneficial effects of honey from faszeliya on the gastric mucosa. Therapeutic composition contributes to the healing of small wounds and ulcers. Honey obtained from Phacelia, is used in the treatment of diseases of the cardiovascular system.
The use of food improves the memory of people engaged in intellectual activity.
To improve well-being, honey can be used as food not only for sick people, using it in the diet can prevent the development of a large number of different diseases in the body.
Using Phacelia as a siderata
The plant is used as a fairly effective green soil fertilizer.
Using an annual plant improves the structure of heavy clay soil. The growth of this representative flora on the site loosens the soil, the layer of the earth is alkalized. Loosening the soil and alkalizing it with VAK roots increase the degree of air and moisture penetration into the soil. These changes in soil make it more fertile and easy to land. In the process of decomposition of the roots in the ground, they enrich the soil with useful substances and additionally loosen it.
The rotting of the roots in the soil layer allows you to create natural ducts, air ducts, through which air enters the soil.
In accordance with the research of agronomists, the sowing of 100 grams of plant seeds in an area of 100 square meters meters and further digging of the soil with the introduction of the green mass of the annual is equivalent to adding 300 kg of high-quality organic fertilizer to the soil.
The use of phacelia allows fertilizing the soil not only with nitrogenous compounds, but also with compounds containing potassium and phosphorus. In addition, the decay of plant mass enriches the soil with a whole range of organic substances required for normal growth and development of any plant crops.
On the surface of the roots, small clusters are formed with nitrogen-fixing bacteria, which convert the nitrogen contained in the soil air into an easily accessible form for assimilation by other plants. Nitrogen contained in such compounds is in a biological form and differs from the element contained in mineral fertilizers.
Phacélia tanacetifólia is capable of protecting the soil from weed pollution. This is due to the fact that the root system of this representative flora develops so quickly that it does not allow weeds to grow and harden. Using Phacelia gives you rid of wild weeds on the plot. The annual in the course of its growth is able to oppress even wheatgrass, with which the struggle by other methods is a very difficult matter.
The use of this representative of the plant world gives a healthy site, which is associated with the presence of a large number of phytoncides in different parts of the grass. These compounds contribute to the inhibition and expulsion from the site of a large number of pests and harmful microorganisms. Phytoncides, available in the root system, allow to disinfect the soil, since they act detrimentally on the majority of fungi that can affect the root system.
The presence on the site of this herb expels nematodes and wireworms, the latter is especially harmful to beets, potatoes, grapes and strawberries.
Phacelia beautiful and useful annual
The use of Phacelia allows you to change the acidity of the soil, such changes contribute to the destruction of weeds. When sowing seeds in acidic soil, its pH changes and approaches a more neutral point.
For better soil fertilizer, it is recommended to sow the designated area as thick as possible. This significantly increases the amount of green mass, rotting in the soil.
You can use honey phacelia to attract pollinators to the site, which will significantly increase the yield of cultivated varieties. This effect is especially noticeable when planting vegetable and berry crops next to the grass.
When using this honey plant as a green or dried fodder for livestock, it is possible to reduce the incidence of animal morbidity, and animals themselves when feeding with this fodder begin to gain weight much faster.
To improve the growth of vegetable crops, it is recommended that the area set aside for planting vegetables, first sow phacelia and a week later mulch. The entry of this grass into the soil allows it to retain moisture in it and to disinfect the area set aside for planting vegetables.
Grass can be used as lawn vegetation in the garden. This increases the degree of soil disinfection and improves the degree of pollination of fruit trees and shrubs.
The benefits of the plant is huge when growing potatoes. To increase the yield, agronomists recommend sowing grass between the rows of potatoes and, after germination, they mulch. Such activities will allow the soil to remain permanently loosened. The effect of such actions is that more air penetrates the soil, which contributes to the growth of tubers.
The high degree of frost resistance and drought resistance of the plant makes it possible to use it to improve the quality of the soil even in adverse climatic conditions. Phacelia can withstand frost down to -9 degrees Celsius.
When using it to get food from one hundred, you can get in the presence of favorable conditions up to 300 kilograms of green mass. The maximum amount of green mass is achieved under appropriate conditions for 40-45 days. This accelerated growth makes it possible to procure the required amount of feed in a short time.
Phacelia gets along well with most cultivated plants, which is an important feature when used in horticulture and horticulture.
Useful properties of phacelia honey plant
Useful properties of the plant are expressed in the quality of honey from nectar of phacelia. The composition of the sweet product:
When using honey, the immunity is strengthened, the body tone improves, the work of the cardiovascular and nervous system is normalized. Returns to normal metabolism.
Bee product restores intestinal function, removes pathogenic microbes, thanks to which it is used in the fight against dysbacteriosis. It has a positive effect on the work of the stomach and its state: it normalizes acidity, heals the mucous membrane.
Long-term use of honey leads to an increase in hemoglobin level, an increase in resistance to acute respiratory infections, and an improvement in lymph flow.
Phacelia benefits by attracting bees to a garden plot in the spring. Crops growing nearby are timely pollinated. A beautiful plant is used as green manure, which has the ability to saturate the soil with useful substances.
Features of the autumn planting
Phacelia refers to plants that can be sown at different times. Suitable autumn and spring. At the same time it is important that the seedlings do not fall under frost, even short-term negative temperatures are harmful for it.
Recommendations for autumn planting:
- Autumn planting honey allows you to increase the time of collection of nectar bees. In this case, landing should be done shortly before the onset of cold weather.
- We can not allow the germination of seeds in late autumn, as there is a high probability of their freezing.
- Correct timely pre-winter planting phacelia ensure the emergence of seedlings immediately after the snow melts.
- The sub-winter planting of phacelia allows in the spring to get enriched, loose soil. Such plots can be occupied by main crops, planting the main crops in the aisle.
- Autumn sowing can be calculated to obtain mature seeds. and prevent their germination.
One and a half - two months after planting, the bees begin collecting nectar. After flowering and seed harvesting, phacelia is mown, planting plants in compost pits and sending them to livestock farms for livestock feed.
The unique property of phacelia has long been used by farmers, breeders and summer residents. The plant has the ability to change the structure of the soil, loosening the roots and making airy, even stony ground.
Features of spring planting
Phacelia seeds tolerate wintering in properly selected temperature conditions and oxygen access. For the seeds of honey plants do not need pre-treatment with herbicides. This procedure is useless and can only harm seed germination.
On an industrial scale, in order to sow a plot of 1 hectare, you should spend about 10 kg of seeds.
When planting seeds in the dacha should follow the following rules:
- Dig up the soil and prepare rows, the distance between which should be about 15 cm.
- Planting seeds should be carried out in damp ground to a depth of about 4 cm. It is important that the seeds are well covered from the wind for winter planting.
- Spring planting time is not limited.This crop can be planted throughout the season until late autumn (October, November).
Years of experience shows that seeds obtained from plants planted in May are most germinating.
Please note that the honey plant planted in the autumn, it is better to leave on the ground. After wintering in the open ground, the green mass of phacelia will protect the soil from freezing, and with the onset of warm spring days, digging it in the area will give an additional fertilizer additive.
Stories of our readers!
“We met this cultivator thanks to a neighbor who gave us a“ try. ”We liked it. I have back problems. Therefore, working with a shovel is hard.
And the manual cultivator allows practically not to bend down. Only weeds to collect after digging. The entire load, indeed, goes on your hands. Просто надо приноровиться. Советую."
Фацелия как сидерат
Проблема обогащения почвы в сельскохозяйственных производствах и частном хозяйстве всегда актуальна. Посадка фацелии для решения этой задачи – выгодный вариант. Due to the botanical features of phacelia, not only the soil benefits.
This plant is a real garden decoration, it grows not only in the sun, it feels great in partial shade.
Recommendations for growing siderata:
- As a rule, to obtain green manure, seeds are planted with the onset of heat.
- Shallow tillage, as the seeds are planted to a depth of no more than 3 cm.
- In the first weeks after planting should be weeded and watered. In the future, watering is reduced.
- With the growth of bushes there is no need for weeding and loosening., as the honey begins to actively push out the weeds.
- Loosening also stops. as a result of the fact that the grown-up plant begins to loosen the ground itself and form and enrich the soil structure.
As a siderat, this culture does not require special care:
- Culture is not affected by pests.
- The phacelia grass incorporated in the soil is an excellent source of organic matter.
- During the season, several grass mowings are obtained for compost boxes and soil embedding.
- Phacelia is a valuable participant in crop rotation on the plot. Put it in between the rows of major crops.
- The grown up phacelia completely forces out weed plants from a site.
- In addition to bees, planting honey plants is also visited by predatory insects, which, along with the extraction of nectar, destroy harmful insects.
- Medonos, he is a siderat, serves as an excellent feed for livestock and birds.
After flowering and collecting seeds, the plant is cut, crushed and the soil is dug, adding the resulting mass. Such soil processing replaces the application of manure.
Honey Care Rules
A culture that is not sensitive to climatic conditions and soils does not require special care during growth.
Therefore, the rules for care a bit:
- An important point - mandatory watering landings before germination.
- Planted honey plant should be on a permanent place., the plant does not tolerate the transplant and dies.
- The emergence of shoots need to be regulated, for this landing should be thinned out. This can be explained by biological features - it quickly grows, forms many stems. Overgrown bushes will interfere with each other.
- Phacelia responds well to top dressing. With complex fertilizers, the honey plant is fed twice during the season.
Watering and feeding
- Phacelia negatively responds to drought: the amount of nectar in the flowering honey plant is reduced, the plant grows poorly, forms few new stems. Therefore, soil moistening in the planting of a honey plant is obligatory, starting from planting seeds in open ground and before the onset of cold weather.
- Top dressing has a beneficial effect on plant development. For feeding phacelia use organic fertilizers, phosphorus and potassium, as well as fertilizing, which include trace elements in the form of boron and magnesium.
Phacelia - a plant that performs several functions that are equally necessary to man. It is not only an adornment of nature, noble towards everything that benefits a person.
The land with depleted land sown with phacelia will be enriched with organic matter and microelements during the season. Plants planted after the honey plant will not lack fertilizer. In addition, with phacelia, decorating the garden area, fruit trees will be better pollinated.
A selection of reviews from beekeeping forums about phacelia as a honey plant:
Flowering of phacelia tansyholia begins about 40 days after sowing. Flowers do not open simultaneously, but successively, mass flowering begins 15 to 20 days after the first flowers open. The duration of the flowering period - 40 - 50 days, from June to July. Beekeepers planted honey in several stages, achieving 3-4 flowering periods per season.
Flowers phacelia have a high nectar productivity - up to 5 mg per day per flower. Nectar has a pleasant aroma and is saturated with sugars (up to 60% of the total mass), which attracts a large number of bees to phacelia. Flowering lasts the whole day and does not stop after sunset, and weather changes or lack of moisture do not affect the nectar-bearing nature.
Important! The pizhmolist phacelia can be counted among the leaders in honey productivity among grass crops. According to various sources, from one hectare of plantation one can get from 300 to 600 (and under favorable conditions up to a thousand) kilograms of honey.
The honey obtained from the flowers of phacelia pizhmolistnoy, has a pleasant bright aroma. The taste is very sweet, tart and spicy. The color of honey can vary from pale yellow, almost white to pale green or even pale blue. A large amount of fructose, which is part of it, slows down the thickening, so even the crystallized honey has a rather plastic and soft texture. The thickened phacelia honey resembles a white pasty mass with a pleasant spicy aroma.
Useful properties of phacelia honey
Facet honey is especially valued for its beneficial properties. The product is saturated with vitamins and trace elements, it contains potassium, chromium, calcium, zinc, manganese, silver and cobalt. The use of honey phacelia in food contributes to an increase in immunity and general body tone, normalizes metabolism, positively affects the nervous and cardiovascular systems.
In addition, the beneficial properties of phacelia honey allow it to be used as a drug in complex therapy for many diseases:
- Honey contributes to the normalization of the intestinal flora and the elimination of pathogenic microbes, and therefore is used to combat dysbacteriosis.
- With low acidity and gastritis, phacelia honey helps to restore normal functioning of the gastrointestinal tract and the healing of its mucous membrane.
- The healing properties of the product help in the fight against cholelithiasis, in diseases of the liver, kidneys and pancreas.
- Acceptance of honey for 1-2 months helps to increase hemoglobin in the blood, improves lymphatic circulation, has a tonic effect and increases resistance to colds.
Seed collection rules
This plant ripened seeds quite easily peel off. If the top and middle part still continues to bloom, then the lower flowers have already fallen, and now there are ripe seeds. Therefore, phacelia taken to mow and leave the wolves. There, flowers and trunks dry up, after which the seeds are threshed much easier.
Mow the plant for seed during the day or in the evening. Then phacelia is threshed, and the seeds are subjected to primary processing and drying.
If you leave the seeds of the plant in the resulting form, then at a high temperature and humidity microorganisms will begin to develop in them, resulting in lower product quality and germination.
To prevent such consequences, you will need to skip the seed mass through the main cleaning machine, and then dry in a dryer at a temperature of 35 degrees. The storage of seeds that are in bags occurs in a ventilated and dry building.
Phacelia Honey: Useful Properties
Below we list the beneficial properties of plants and honey:
- decorative - phacelia perfect for landscape design. It can decorate with its inflorescences of blue-blue color front gardens, flower beds, as well as alpine hills. The grass does not need special cultivation. It can be sown in early spring, and with the arrival of autumn, when the harvest is complete,
- increases the fertility of the land - this plant will improve the fertility of the soil cover. Therefore, it is customary to plant it between other seedlings. If you need to fertilize the earth in a natural way, then you should sow the plots with phacelia seeds. In the form of fertilizer, this plant can be sown for one season up to 4 times. The properties of phacelia to improve sand and clay soils are used when there is a need to improve the earth structuring of fields,
- sideral features - agricultural technology uses the phacelia properties to saturate the soil layer with nitrogen. The roots of young shoots protect the area from drying out, storing the necessary trace elements and minerals for the following crops. Pre-growing plants in their fields will ensure the protection of crops from adverse microorganisms. It also neutralizes the acidity of the soil cover, thus providing them with protection from weed crops. The peculiar smell of grass attracts insects that protect crops from various pests. Agrotechnology, which has a huge number of chemical agents intended for pest control, regularly uses the protection of crops in natural ways, while using phacelia,
- good honey plant - phacelia is considered a famous honey plant. In the circle of beekeepers, she is very much appreciated for the abundance of nectar, the duration of flowering and ease of care. From the beginning of spring, when other flowers did not open on the plots, phacelia blooming inflorescences give insects the opportunity to take the first nectar bribes. Bees do not stop collecting nectar from flowers, even when twilight sets in. Until late autumn, phacelia will produce nectar and pollen,
- can be used as food - growing a plant does not require any special expenses, and the rapid formation of green mass is highly valued by livestock breeders, as they prefer grazing to small and cattle on the fields that are sown with phacelia. Characteristics of the plant can contribute to the weight gain of animals and increase milk production,
- phytosanitary feature - to protect cultural crops from phytophthora, root rot, you can, if you plant phacelia in tandem with "legumes". Moreover, in this case, the possibility of damage to crops by the weevil is sharply reduced, as the fragrant properties that attract predatory insects protect the crop from the stalk, locust and moths.
Although phacelia, like honey plant quite good and its honey is considered one of the most useful, it does not mean that it does not have contraindications that must be considered before use. Contraindications to the use of honey include:
- diabetes: despite the fact that phacelia honey is rich in fructose, it is still necessary to limit the consumption of carbohydrates. Honey is allowed, but only after consultation with the endocrinologist and in limited quantities,
- idiosyncrasy: occurs in all varieties of honey, due to the presence of a huge number of active substances among the components of the product. If earlier there were cases of an allergic or other adverse reaction to this product, then you should not use it,
- pregnancy and breastfeeding: due to the presence of phytoestrogens in the composition of honey, it is advisable to exclude it from the diet for women who are in the process of any changes in the hormonal background.