My garden can not be imagined without vegetables and cabbage is no exception. At first I tried to grow a plant with seeds, but since I live in the middle lane, this growing process is not always crowned with success. I liked planting by seedlings in many ways more.
Caring for a plant will be smaller, and the harvest will be even greater. I share the secrets of growing seedlings and their subsequent planting in open ground.
To get a rich and tasty cabbage harvest, every gardener needs to know when and how to plant cabbage seedlings. Diverse varieties of this plant differ in terms of their maturation, therefore, compliance with the rules for planting cabbage are simply necessary.
Terms of planting rassadny way
Growing seedlings is best carried out in a greenhouse. When grown in apartments, the sprouts will be greatly elongated, and they also need fresh, natural coolness.
- Early varieties of cabbage for seedlings need to be sown in March,
- Mid-early varieties are planted in mid-April,
- Sowing later varieties occurs in early April.
The term for sowing seeds should be selected taking into account the ripening time of cabbage. Early ripening varieties will be ready for use in a few months, mid-season after about 4 months, but later as much as 7 months.
Perederzhivat cabbage in the garden is better not worth it, so you wait for cracking head. The summer harvest should be immediately processed, but the autumn one can be left for storage.
In the middle lane, the cultivation of this vegetable is best done with seedlings. Frosts, which usually return suddenly in spring, are quite capable of killing young shoots. In cold regions other than seedlings do not use any other method.
Before planting, cabbage seeds must be soaked in a weak solution of manganese and warm water. As a growth promoter, you can add a spoonful of honey or aloe juice to the water. After water, the seeds should be dried.
Prepare containers with soil, place the seeds in them and deepen them by 70 mm. Between the rows in the container you need to save about 3 cm of free space. The container must be covered with polyethylene, thereby simulating a greenhouse.
After about 5 days you will see the first shoots, at this moment the film needs to be removed, and the box should be put in a bright and warm place.
Seedlings need a large amount of light, approximately 16 hours of daylight, therefore it is necessary to use a fluorescent lamp in the evenings.
When the first shoots appear, it is necessary to lower the temperature to 10 degrees Celsius. When the first leaves appear, the temperature rises again to 18 degrees.
Watering should be done when the topsoil is already dry. Do not forget about the constant airing of seedlings, but without drafts. Normal ventilation will protect the plant from the risk of falling ill with a black leg.
When sprouting seedlings, after 2 weeks it is seated in different cups. When the seedlings reach two months of age, it is transplanted into the open ground.
At the same time, at least 4 leaves should be formed on a young plant, and its height should be at least 13 cm. It is necessary to feed the seedlings several times when the first leaf appears and two weeks before it is transplanted into the open ground.
Landing in open ground
The beds expect transplantation of cabbage seedlings only when the soil is heated to at least 10 degrees Celsius. If you are caught off guard by little cold, you should not be afraid of it. Before planting, the seeds of cabbage and seedlings are hardened, so the frost is not afraid of it in a short time.
Hardening of seedlings occurs by reducing watering and placing containers with seedlings for several hours on the street. This procedure is carried out daily. If the seedlings were grown according to the rules, then it will not be afraid of frosts to -7 degrees.
For more information about planting cabbage seedlings in the video:
Cabbage is a rather moisture-loving plant, therefore, if possible, it should be planted in lowlands, where water can accumulate. The site should be well lit by sunlight. If onions, garlic or cucumbers were sprouting on the site before, the soil is ideal.
The same crop cannot be grown on the plot for more than 3 years, otherwise the soil will become too depleted and you will not see a good harvest.
Digging the site must begin in September. You need to remove weeds and apply fertilizer in the form of humus. The soil should be loamy and contain humus for long moisture retention. In the spring, you again have to dig a plot and break all the large clods of earth on it.
If you picked up the neighboring plants correctly, this will certainly contribute to their better development and, as a result, a good harvest.
Lettuce, celery or beans growing close to cabbage will increase its resistance to many diseases. And if you plant dill next to the heads of cabbage, it will make their taste even better.
Pests and diseases
With illiterate care, your cabbage beds will definitely be subject to diseases or insect attacks. The most common disease of this plant is the black leg. You can overcome this disease with the help of a substrate, with the presence of wood ash in it.
If root rot has started, then special chemicals are used for this, which can be purchased in the store as a finished product.
Growing cabbage in the open field requires attention. Especially when the first shoots appear. During this period, the plant may be attacked by pests that can destroy sprouts in a couple of hours. In order to protect a plant, there are two ways:
- This is a daily inspection. If holes are seen on the leaves, you need to cover the area with ashes.
- This is pre-close the cabbage film. Along with this, you can do chemical processing.
Cabbage - light-loving plant, so the site should not be in the shade. It is not advisable to plant it after turnips, beets, tomatoes and radishes.
Cabbage is not suitable acidic soil. In this case, you need to make a liming of the soil.
It is necessary to prepare the land for cultivation in the fall. The soil is fertilized with straw or dung and dug over. In spring, the soil is sprinkled with peat and wood ash.
How to grow seedlings?
How to grow, for example, white cabbage, to plant it in the country and the harvest was good?
At home, germinate seedlings, and then transplanted into greenhouses. When grown in open ground sprouts are planted in open soil.
Preliminary need to prepare inventory. You will need containers for soaking seeds, paddle, gloves, as well as a watering can.
Seed preparation and germination
If the seeds were collected independently, they are first kept no more than 20 minutes in hot water, the temperature of which is approximately 50 degrees. Then placed for a few minutes in cold water and dried. Pre-preparation is not necessary for purchased seeds, it is carried out by manufacturers..
For seed germination using loose soil with a large admixture of peat. Saplings need moderate watering. Need to use extra lighting. The room in which there are seeds, need to be aired.
Cabbage will grow slowly in the first two weeks. The first leaves will appear in six weeks.
You can sow seeds in boxes or special peat pots. Begin to grow seedlings in the last days of March. Sowing carried out by large seeds. This will increase the yield.
We recommend to watch a video about growing seedlings of cabbage from seeds:
Planting in the garden
When to plant seedlings? Planted seedlings can only become stronger, which appeared dark green color. The planting scheme is not complicated - the holes for seedlings should be at a distance of 60 cm. They are watered and fertilized with wood ash mixed with soil. Then water again.
The landing is carried out on an overcast day or in the evening. When planting, the plant is buried in the ground to the first true leaf. The roots and stem well compressed soil.
After planting, seedlings should be shaded for 3 days.so that she better settled down.
We recommend to watch a video about planting cabbage seedlings in open ground:
Care for young vegetables
- Watering. Watered cabbage every day - in the morning and in the evening with water, with a temperature of 18 degrees, preventing it from drying out. The intensity is adjusted depending on the weather.
- Top dressing. Two weeks after transplanting, it is fed with phosphate fertilizers. You can use chicken dung and manure. After two weeks, another feed is carried out with the same ingredients. Further fertilizer is carried out as needed.
- Hilling. To carry out hilling need a manual hoe or hoe. At a distance of 20-25 cm from a seedling in a circle, they rake up the ground to the stalk. You can not fall asleep growth point. With this method, struggling with cabbage fly. Hilling is usually done 40 days after transplanting. Further earthing up is carried out every two weeks, and finish when the cabbage spreads the leaves.
Mulching - covering the earth with a protective layer. The advantages of the procedure:
- reducing the frequency of irrigation,
- weed control,
- the soil is kept loose
- protection of the soil against leaching of the top layer during heavy rain,
- The soil is enriched with nutrients.
Before mulching, weeds are removed and soil is loosened.. Do not lay mulch on cold ground. The thickness of the layer is 2 - 8 cm, depending on the material. It is cheaper to use different plants and their residues.
Mulching is carried out using the following plants:
- Perfect rye. When the cabbage grows up, the rye is cut and the resulting straw is left on the soil surface. Decomposing, the straw will feed the cabbage with nitrogenous compounds.
- Nettle, cut grass, hay, straw.
- Sawdust. This material has a negative effect on the pathogenic flora.
- Peat and compost. Compost also serves as a fertilizer.
There is such a thing as inorganic mulching. To do this, use plastic film: transparent or black. The choice of material depends on the season. Black film is used at the beginning of planting, it is left for 3-4 weeks. Transparent film is chosen in the summer. As a result, weeds will not appear in the garden.
Harvesting and storage
White cabbage is collected in dry warm weather. If the crop was harvested in the rain, the crop must be dried and sent to storage.
Collected cabbages can be stored in the following ways:
- Hanging in the basement. The storage is pre-cooled to 0 - 1 degrees and must be aired.
- Rearing. Plants are transferred to the basement and placed in boxes or just on the floor, covered with earth, sand or peat. Moisturize the soil for two months. The temperature is maintained within three degrees. This method will allow heads to get stronger and gain weight.
- Storage in holes or trenches. Straw and cabbages are put on the bottom of the store. Crop harvested to freezing land. This method of storage, allows you to keep the cabbage fresh for three months.
We recommend watching the video about harvesting and storage of cabbage:
Diseases and pests
Cabbage, like all vegetable crops, unfortunately, is affected by a large number of pests and diseases that require special control measures.
The most common pests are:
- Cruciferous flea. The cabbage leaves are amazing. They can also damage the growing point, which leads to the death of the plant. The larvae have a light yellow color. Methods of control: insecticide spraying of seedlings. With the mass appearance of the pest, pollination is carried out with tobacco dust and ash in the ratio of 1 to 1. The treatment interval is 4 days.
- Cabbage Mole. The caterpillars mine leaves, leaving the epidermis of the upper side of the leaf untouched in the form of a “window”. Often damage the growing point and the forming head, weaving it with cobwebs. Great harm is caused in the dry season. Methods of struggle: treated with chemical or biological products.
- Cabbage Whitefish. A favorable period for the appearance of the pest is the hot and dry season. Damages the leaf plate and the inside of the heads. Caterpillars are green with a yellow stripe along the back. Methods of struggle: the same as with the appearance of the cabbage moth.
- Cabbage scoop. Causes significant damage to the crop. It affects the leaves and heads, making deep moves in them.
- Cabbage Fly. Damage the roots. Control measures: processing of marginal stripes of fields with tobacco dust with slaked lime or ash.
- Stem Covertal. Damages seedlings. Suffering leaves and stems. Methods of control: treatment with insecticides.
- Cabbage Aphid. With the mass appearance of leaves covered with aphids, which sucks the juice from the plants. Heading out is not formed. Methods of control: the destruction of weeds, insecticide spraying.
Cabbage can be affected by all types of plant diseases caused by fungal, bacterial and viral pathogens.
- The most common disease is blackleg. Root neck is affected. The seedling dries up.
- Kela cabbage. Fungal disease as a result of which growths appear on the roots. Heads are not formed.
- Downy mildew. Yellow spots appear on the affected leaves.
- Alternaria. Initially, black spots appear on the leaves, and then covered with bloom.
- Bacteriosis or black rot most dangerous for cabbage. Small dark spots appear on the leaves.
We recommend watching a video about cabbage diseases and ways to deal with them:
White cabbage usually begin to plant on seedlings in the second decade of March. Seeds are sown gradually, every few days, to extend the time for harvesting.
Sowing cabbage must be made taking into account the precocity of this variety.. Different varieties of cabbage must be planted on the garden at different ages:
- late varieties - from 50 to 60 days old,
- mid-ripening - from 40 to 50 days,
- early maturing varieties - from 30 to 40 days.
It is also necessary to add 4–5 days to this period, which are necessary for the seeds to germinate successfully and 3-4 days for the seedlings to take root after transplantation into the ground. Thus, we can with great precision calculate the time for sowing seeds of various varieties of white cabbage.
Growing any garden plant begins with variety selectionwhich is most suitable for your conditions. First you need to figure out for what conditions and when you need to get a crop of cabbage.
This may seem strange, but the answer will determine, in addition to the variety for planting, the time when it is necessary to plant the seeds in order to obtain seedlings of suitable age. For example, if it is necessary to get a crop by about the middle of summer, which will be used for cabbage salads, it is necessary to choose early varieties for planting: the Cossack F1, June and others. If the crop needs to be grown for the purpose of leavening, it is best to choose mid-season varieties for planting seedlings: Amager, Belorusskaya. But in order to store the crop in winter time, in order to sell heads at a high price, it is necessary to choose late varieties for planting seedlings: Kolobok, Geneva.
- It is worth considering that early varieties do not give a big harvest. Most varieties form loose and small (about 1.5 kg) cabbages. But they are able to give the first harvest after 90, a maximum of 120 days.
- Middle Late Variety Perfect for use in food in the summer, for some time they can be stored and salted. Able to produce the first crop in about 150-170 days, however, there are medium-early varieties of white cabbage, which form kachan already after 130, a maximum of 150 days.
- Late cabbage ideal for long-term storage (some specimens can lie in the basement until the spring). Kachan is formed quite a long time - from 160 to 180 days.
Before planting seedlings, which will be planted in open ground, it is worth carefully preparing the seeds in order to destroy all the germs of various diseases and speed up the germination time. For disinfection seeds are soaked in water, the temperature of which is maintained at around 50 ° C. After this procedure, the planting material is placed on some wide saucer, which is covered with a damp cloth on top. In this state, the seeds must be kept in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
For seedlings of cabbage, especially later varieties, it is categorically not recommended to use garden soil, since it may contain a large number of different diseases with which the young plant will not be able to cope. Nutrient soil mixture can be made independently:
- take an equal amount of turf soil and coarse sand,
- for disinfecting the soil and destroying harmful (pathogenic) microorganisms we spill it with hot water, after which we sift the composition,
- we bring in structure on 10 Art. l wood ash for every 10 liters of substrate.
Ash can also destroy all contagion in the ground. In addition, it lowers the acidity and reduces to almost zero the risk of a black leg, a dangerous disease that affects seedlings with rot, which cannot be cured.
Sowing seeds must be done в отдельные горшочки или специальные ящички для рассады, также можно использовать пластиковые кассеты. Pour into the container in the soil pre-mixed with soil.
You can also prepare other soil mixtures, which differ, as a rule, from each other by the main component. For example, instead of sod land you can add peat in the same amount. However, when choosing components, pay special attention to air-intensive components that have a large supply of nutrients. It remains only to process the soil composition with a solution of potassium permanganate and you can start planting seeds.
It is strictly forbidden to use the soil, which was located on the beds, where they grew cruciferous crops, because these plants are likely to have infected the soil with elements that infect cabbage. This may cause a decrease in the quantity and quality of the crop, and in the most severe cases, lead to the death of the plant.
Before you start sowing, you must thoroughly moisten the soil. Seeds sow grooves that are cut every 3 cm, and the space between the seeds should be at least 1 cm in rows, the distance between the grooves should be 3 cm. Seeds of early cabbage should be sown in early May, mid-season - until the end of April, late-ripening until the 20th of April.
Before planting containers that are intended for seedlings, it is necessary to thoroughly wash and treat with disinfectants (a solution of potassium permanganate is perfect for this purpose).
We pour on the bottom of a shallow box (from 4 to 5 cm) a drainage layer that does not exceed 1 cm thick. For these purposes, you can use eggshell, expanded clay or small pebbles. After that we pour the soil into the containers and water it thoroughly. Grooves should be carefully cut through the soil every 3–4 cm. The seeds should be about 1 cm deep into the soil. In no case should the seeds be placed too closely, otherwise you will have to break through the seedlings. Then the seedlings sprinkle with soil, slightly compacted it and spray the soil from a spray bottle.
Capacities with seedlings can be covered with glass or plastic wrap, after which they should be placed in a bright room with a temperature of 18–20 ° C. The first shoots can be expected already on the fourth or fifth day.
It is especially important to keep the soil constantly wet, so that the swollen seeds should never dry out. It is best to do this with a spray.. However, do not forget that excess moisture can also adversely affect the condition of the seeds. Excess water in the soil is very cause of seed rotting or the occurrence of black legs in seedlings.
When the first sprouts appear, it is necessary to harden the seedlings.
To do this, the container with young seedlings is entered into the room, the temperature of which is maintained within 8−10 ° C. This contributes to the fact that the seedlings will not be strongly drawn out in the future, even with a lack of sunlight.
After about a week, the cabbage can be returned back to a warm room. It would be best to place the seedlings at the time of growth on a warmed balcony, in a room on a windowsill, or to allocate to it a place in a polycarbonate greenhouse.
During this period, it is especially important to maintain the optimum temperature, which is 14–17 ° C during the daytime and 9 ° C at night or in cloudy weather.
Therefore, it is best to choose a place where cucumbers previously grew, this will be the ideal soil for any kind and variety of this crop. It is important that the area designated for planting vegetables should be open and fertile; loam is the best soil for it. Go
- Cabbage need to take a very bright place. Even a slight shading will lead to slower development and lower quality - a drop in the content of vitamins, the accumulation of nitrates.
- For the earliest possible harvest, early varieties of white cabbage can be sown in a greenhouse or room (with more light) on February 25 — March 5, later they can be planted in mid-April for temporary shelter (under the film). If good conditions for growth are created for the seedlings, the harvest will be available in May. For cultivation in open ground without shelter, early varieties of white cabbage can be sown from March 10–15 with a landing on a permanent place in late April – early May.
- Stop watering the seedlings 7 days before planting.
Temperature conditions. The initial stage before the emergence of shoots - +18. + 22C. White-beet should be germinated with significant temperature changes - day +15. + 17C, +8 at night. + 10C. Color at higher temperatures (5-7 degrees),
Mid-season varieties - March 25 - April 20,
Seedling growing technology
In the popular Russian saying - what you sow, you will reap, laid deep meaning. But the meaning is not lost at all, if we apply this saying to gardening works. For example, in order to grow a good harvest of cabbage on your plot, which will be discussed in our article, it is necessary to plant strong and healthy seedlings in the spring.
After you get a good and strong seedlings it needs to be planted in the ground. But 12 days before that, it should be hardened to gradually accustom to the wind, sunlight and ambient temperature.
Picking scheme of cabbage seedlingsCabbage is one of the main vegetable crops of our latitudes, it is almost universally grown in household plots. Therefore, it is often necessary to get her seedlings. In this article we will consider the features of planting cabbage for seedlings, we will tell you what to do in order to achieve an excellent result.All varieties are planted at different times: early seedlings are planted at the end of April, for this they choose a day when the weather is cloudy outside. If the spring is hot, then it is worth gardening after lunch.
Cabbage is a cold-resistant plant, it can tolerate lowering the temperature to 5 ° С, but only very briefly. Therefore, planting cabbage seedlings to a permanent place can be started from mid-April under a film with frost cover with a nonwoven covering material. Shelter planting nonwoven material increases the temperature by 1.2-5.1 ° C, accelerates the production of environmentally valuable products by 7-10 days, increases the yield of 2.3-5.4 times. At the same time, the seedlings are not pulled out, since nonwoven material allows air to pass through more easily. Shelter non-woven material and especially the film must be removed in a timely manner, in May days should not be overheating, which leads to stretching of seedlings, curvature of the stems.
Seedlings of middle-ripening and late-ripening varieties can be grown in a greenhouse with solar heating or a hotbed under the film, prepared for the earliest possible sowing. Sowing late varieties are from 1 to 10 April, mid-ripening - from 10 to 20 April.
Liberally pour the seedlings 2 hours before planting.
- Top dressing.
- Late ripening varieties - from the first of April until the end of the month,
- Planting any garden crop begins with the choice of variety. Cabbage is no exception. But before visiting a specialty store for the purpose of buying seeds, you need to decide for what and when you need cabbage. The question only at first glance seems strange. But the answer depends not only on the choice of the variety, but also on the timing of sowing seeds for seedlings. So, if you want to enjoy delicious white cabbage salads in the middle of summer, then it is better to plant early varieties such as June, Gift, Cossack F1, Dietmar. If the cabbage is grown for the purpose of fermentation, then the most suitable varieties are Slava, Amager, Belorusskaya. But those who want to savor a delicious vegetable in the winter should sow such late-ripening varieties as Wintering 1474, Kolobok, Geneva.
Do not recommend planting seedlings in open ground, when the air temperature is low, because in this situation, a seedling in 30 days will give an arrow with seedsUsually cabbage seeds are sown in a plant room or tray. A specially prepared soil mixture is placed in the container. Recommend to carry out this process in the fall.
Getting to the idea of planting cabbage, however, like any other vegetable, you need, first of all, to decide on its variety. There are a wide variety of varieties. They differ both in their taste and in terms of aging. You also need to consider why you plant it: for spring salad, autumn sourdough or winter storage. There are the following varieties of cabbage:
You should also know at what distance to plant cabbage. The gaps between rows should be at least 50 cm. At the same time, plants should be planted in a row from each other at a distance of 25 cm.
In the field without shelter, seedlings of early and late-ripening cabbage in the middle lane begin to be planted in the second half of April (depending on the position of the plot and on the weather) and end between May 5 and 20. Mid-season varieties can be planted in the same time frame, but if there is not enough time, then seedlings of medium varieties can be planted later.
Before sowing, the seeds are pickled in a solution of potassium permanganate or disinfected with hot water with a temperature of about 45–50 ° C for 20–30 minutes, followed by rapid cooling in cold water. In order to increase the yield and resistance to diseases and pests, seeds are treated with biological activator of growth and development before sowing - Agat-25, El-1, Albit, Zircon.
Before planting, in order to protect the plant from pests, soak the seedlings in a solution of carbos.The feeding scheme is pretty simple. The first fertilizer is made before you are going to sow cabbage seeds. Then feed the seedlings only 7-10 days after picking. Potash fertilizers, superphosphate and ammonium nitrate are used in the proportion of 2/4/2 grams per liter of water. A liter of top dressing will last for about fifty shoots. Bring in top dressing only after watering. The second feeding is made 14-16 days after the first one, the fertilizers are the same, but in double quantity per 1 l of water. The third feeding is the same fertilizer, but the proportion is already 8/5/3 per liter.Prepare the seeds for planting.
On the photo cabbage seedlings
Care of seedlings
Instructions for the preparation of soil mixture to obtain a good seedling:
- Early maturing
- Later varieties are planted from mid-May to June. For them, the intervals between rows should be 50-55 cm, in the row between plants - 30-35 cm. When planting seedlings, it should be dug into the ground along the first full leaf. Go
- When reducing the area of nutrition cabbage slows growth, decreases the amount of vitamins in the heads. Saving space can result in less quality products and lower yields.
- The best way to get healthy seedlings is cultivation in cassettes (pots) with a volume of 65 cm3 (4.5x4.5x3 cm). The seedlings grown in cassettes tolerates transplant more easily, they are ill little.
The roots of seedlings before planting can be treated with any biostimulant, to accelerate growth.
How to plant cabbage on seedlings - step by step instructions
In fact, preliminary preparation of seeds for planting is a whole science, with which far from everyone is familiar, even an experienced gardener. But all the methods used in this case are suitable for untreated seeds, or seeds collected personally in the garden. If you want to plant seeds previously processed, it will be sufficient to carry out a light preparation of the seed. To do this, soak the cabbage seeds in hot water (approximately 500 ° C) for 20 minutes. After warming up, it is necessary to cool the seeds with cold water. Such simple manipulations will increase the resistance of cabbage to various diseases, primarily fungal. But be careful! Not all seeds that have been processed in production can be pre-soaked. When you have coated and inlaid seeds, as well as seeds in a gel coat, they should be planted only dry, otherwise the nutrient layer will be disturbed.
As you know, each grade has its own characteristics. Therefore, the final choice must be made when you become familiar with the varietal characteristics and what you really want. For example, early cabbage is uncharacteristic, and it is unlikely that you can squash it for the cabbage. Plant pot Usually, planting is done at the beginning (this applies to early varieties) or at the end of the month of May (for later varieties). Before sowing in open ground it should be watered well. After this, the seedlings are not watered to prevent the development of diseases of the root system. Mix one part of humus and sod land, middle-ripening, Peking cabbage is a relatively new vegetable for our regions, but it is not difficult to grow it. Choosing for growing Peking cabbage, seeds sown in greenhouses should be in April, and planted on the beds in June. Early cabbage is better if grown in narrow beds of 1-2 rows at a distance of 70 cm between the rows and 30-35 cm in the row. For mid-ripening varieties, the distance between the rows is 70–80 cm and in the row 50–70 cm (depending on the size of the head), for late-ripening varieties, the distance between the rows is at least 70 cm, in the row 80–90 cm. will be poorly stored, the possibility of disease will increase.Seeds are sown to a depth of 0.5-1 cm, the crops are immediately watered. For growing cabbage seedlings, they maintain a temperature of 15–18 ° C during the day, 8–10 ° C at night, and if there are 5–6 leaves in the seedling, its height is about 15 cm — it is ready to be planted in open ground. On average, it happens on the 30-45 day after seed germination. If seedlings outgrown, do not worry, there is a solution. You just need to tear off the bottom two sheets, which will still fade. If the seedlings have grown very much, its stem is bent. Many experienced gardeners produce hardening of seedlings, for which, 7–10 days before planting, they first begin to put it under the open window for a few hours, and 5 days before planting balcony, if the weather is sunny. Picture of cabbage seedlings in the garden
Basic rules for the selection of varieties
Early varieties of cabbage should be planted according to the 45x25 cm scheme. At the same time, the 35x60 cm scheme is suitable for planting late varieties. At the same time, the seedlings should be deepened by 1 cm.
Then add some ash to the mixture (approximately 10 tablespoons for every 10 kg of soil). The ash will be used by the plant as a source of macro and micronutrients, and will also serve as an excellent antiseptic,
- Knowledge of when to plant Peking cabbage is not enough to gather a rich harvest, for this you need to choose the right seedlings. This variety of garden crops to be planted in open ground should be potted seedlings, since the potless seed root is very bad.
Good seedlings of early varieties can only be obtained by growing them indoors, where the greenhouse effect is created. It is very difficult to grow healthy cabbage at the window, because at home it is not always possible to maintain an optimal day and night temperature.
- To increase growth, anti-stress activity, as well as resistance to diseases, 10 days after sowing and 5 days before planting at a permanent place, the soil is treated with a 0.015% solution of sodium humate.
Straighten it will not succeed. Therefore, planting heavily grown seedlings with a curved stem, you just need to fill the curvature of the earth.
Video about planting cabbage on seedlings Seedlings can be considered ready for planting if it has 4-5 leaves. Unfortunately, for white cabbage a vegetable garden on the balcony is not the right place. It is worth planting seedlings in open ground in good weather; it is preliminarily (1-2 hours) watered abundantly. For the prevention of "temperature shock" when planting in the ground saplings carried out on the balcony for 20-30 minutes, which is enough to cool the root system.
This process should not be taken carelessly. Each stage of growing good seedlings is important, so seed sowing must be done correctly. Before sowing cabbage we prepare containers, filling them with harvested soil mixture. As such, trays of 70-100 mm depth are perfectly suitable, where you can plant seeds in several rows to facilitate further care. Land in trays before sowing is abundantly watered, as cabbage seeds require a lot of water for germination. But after that, watering is not performed (only if the house is too hot and the air dries the ground). Refusal to water at normal temperature and humidity is an excellent prevention of many diseases, including “Black Leg” - a disease of young seedlings, which is a real disaster for many gardeners.
- Buy seeds - it is only at first glance simple and ordinary. But experienced gardeners approach the process of acquiring with feeling, sensibly, with constellation. You should not make spontaneous purchases of seeds, be it root vegetables, vegetables, or even flowers. It is necessary to make at least an approximate list of what you will sow and only then go to the store. It is best to choose a specialized, proven point of sale, otherwise - the purchase is similar to the game "Russian Roulette". Метод «может повезет, а может нет» – садоводу совсем не подходит. Уж лучше знать наверняка, что вы будете сажать качественные семена, которые хранились в надлежащих условиях и не потеряли свою всхожесть по тем или иным причинам.
Емкость для хранения
- После того, как были успешно проделаны все вышеописанные действия, для получения качественного и обильного урожая нужно соблюдать определенные правила ухода за саженцами.
- хорошо перемешать полученный субстрат.
- Early varieties are considered low-yielding. They are characterized by small (on average about 1.5 kg) cabbers, having an average density. Early ripening varieties ripen for 90-120 days. These include the following types: Solo, Start, June, Transfer, Athlete, Kazachok, Parel, Polar K-206, Eaton, Malachite, Kraft.
- This is quite cold-resistant culture, so it can be planted at a temperature of 15-22 degrees. Seedlings are placed not too close to each other, there should not be more than 12-15 plants per meter. Go
For the cultivation of cabbage in the greenhouse using the soil from under the cucumber, for 1 m² of soil, add 1 bucket of red clay, 1 cup of wood ash, 1 tablespoon of superphosphate. When growing seedlings of white varieties, seeds are sown in boxes with loose soil mixture, sod and peat mixture ideally suit 1: 1, or sod land, peat and humus 2: 2: 1. Go
Seedlings feed two times:
How to care for seedlings
For these purposes, carry out the following procedures:
- There are other options for soil mixtures. They can differ in the main component. For example, instead of turf land you can use peat. The main thing in their experiments to get a well-aerated soil with a large supply of nutrients. Then the substrate should be treated with a solution of potassium permanganate.
- At the same time, medium-term varieties of the crop are suitable for summer consumption, and for pickling, storage. They have a ripening time of 150-170 days (there are also mid-season varieties that ripen a little faster - in 130-150 days). Mid-season cabbage varieties: Rinda, Pegasus, Slava 1305, Nadezhda, Rodolfo, Bronco. Middle-late varieties: Krautman, Mother-in-law, Dobrovodskaya, Sibiryachka-60, Midor, Druzhny, Megaton, Amager 611, Winterovka 1474, Belorusskaya 455.
- For those who decide to grow cauliflower, it is important to know that it grows poorly in apartments due to high temperature and insufficient lighting. For seedlings the optimum temperature is 18 degrees, otherwise the stems are strongly drawn out.
- To seedlings can be planted in open ground at the end of April or in mid-May, the seeds should be sown 40 days before the intended planting. Before sowing, they are soaked for half an hour in melt water, in which a spoonful of honey is added to half a liter of liquid.
In the phase of two or three true leaves and 3-5 days before planting in the ground. For dressings, 15 g of urea, 30 g of superphosphate and 30 g of potassium chloride are diluted in 10 liters of water. On one plant, use 0.15 liters in the first dressing and 0.5 liters in the second. Spraying cabbage in the b-8 phase of leaves with Silk leads to an increase in yield, an increase in the content of sugars and vitamin C.
The wells before planting must be well watered.
When it is considered correct to plant cabbage seedlings in open ground, even experienced gardeners and summer residents cannot answer. It all depends on the weather conditions. It is necessary to dive the seedlings approximately 7-14 days after thinning, when the young plants will get a little stronger and endure transfer to the individual pot or cassette for the seedlings (3x3 seedling scheme with a 50 mm pitch). The best to use cardboard cups or peat pots. Diving is necessary to strengthen the root system of cabbage and ensure its acceptance in open ground.
Preparing cabbage seedlings for planting
A late-ripening cabbage is perfect for long-term fresh storage. These varieties ripen in 160-180 days. The most famous of them are: Krumon, Cade, Kolobok, Galaxy.
- Many gardeners easily decide how to plant cauliflower in order to create the necessary conditions for plants. They sow seeds in the greenhouse in late February, and in early April, seedlings can already be safely planted in open soil. Go
- After the specified time, the seeds are dried and to prevent the development of the diseases of the future plant they are crushed with powder from biological preparations hamarin and alirin. Go
- 7-10 days before planting in open ground, it is hardened, i.e. maintain in more severe conditions: strengthen ventilation, reduce the temperature, reduce irrigation.
- Cloudy days are good for planting cabbage seedlings. On hot days, the landing should be carried out after lunch. Seedlings should be buried in the ground to the depth of the first leaves, at a distance of 40-50 cm from each other. Usually cabbage is planted in rows. The distance between the rows should be more than 60cm. Weak seedlings are not planted. In the hole you can plant several bushes. After prizhivki weak bushes are removed.
- Conditions for planting cabbage seedlings in open ground
- It should be noted that the treatment with antifungal solutions of the soil in individual pots or cassettes, although not strictly binding, is highly desirable, since getting rid of fungal infections at an early stage will ensure the health of the plant for the entire growing period.
The picture sowing cabbage
Planting cabbage seedlings in the open land
Required watering. Only under the condition of frequent watering will you get an elastic ovary and, as a result, a good head out,
. This can lead to the development of various diseases and reduce the quality of the crop.
The next step is the actual cultivation of seedlings for planting. This stage is considered very important, because the quality of the seedlings will depend on the quality of the seeds. Therefore, the seeds for planting cabbage for seedlings need to select only high quality.
Remember that only strong and even saplings will bring you a good harvest, a curve, thin and overgrown seedlings will not give an opportunity to harvest the heads of this useful vegetable in a season. It is better to cook the beds in advance: add manure or compost in the fall, and during the planting itself - complex mineral fertilizers, such as nitrophoska or azofoska. Go
Until the seedlings come off, the temperature should not fall below 20 degrees, for this you can additionally cover the seedlings with a film. With the advent of the first seedlings, the temperature should be reduced to 10 degrees and try to give the plant maximum sun. Until the seedlings have the desired size, the aisles need to loosen and cultivate the soil with wood ash.
Care for transplanted cabbage seedlings
By the time of planting, the seedlings should be hardened, 18–20 cm tall, with 4–5 well-developed leaves (this is 35–45 days old).
After disembarking, seedlings must be shaded to protect it from direct sunlight. In order for the plant to stick, it must be sprayed with water throughout the week. Watering seedlings carried out with a watering can. The plant is considered to have taken root when a new leaf appears.
Growing white cabbage seedlings
The soil for cabbage seedlings should be fertile, the area for planting seedlings should be open. It is impossible more than 3 years to grow cabbage in one place. It is necessary to periodically change the cabbage landing sites.
Pictured cabbage seedlings in the ground
The best option is to prepare the soil mixture yourself, in autumn or early spring. To do this, take one part of sod land and humus, add a little ash to this mixture (approximately 1 tbsp per 1 kg of soil mixture), which is not only a source of necessary macro and microelements, but also acts as an antiseptic. The resulting substrate must be mixed well so that it is fully ready for use. Other options for the preparation of soil mixture are also possible - the main thing is to ensure that the substrate obtained is breathable.
Prophylactic treatment of formed heads with various disinfectants to prevent the development of diseases,
Before sowing, it is necessary to water the prepared soil well. Then you can sow the seeds. Seeds should be grown on the substrate in rows. The distance between them should be 1 cm, at the same time between the grooves - 3 cm. It is necessary to sow the seeds in a fairly diffuse range. The seeds of early varieties need to be sown in early March, medium - from the end of March and all of April, but the late ones - throughout April (up to the 20th of its numbers).
Not the last place in the cultivation of seedlings for planting is the place of its growth, the choice of soil and proper care. Consider all these stages in more detail.
Broccoli is grown in the seedling way in almost the same way as white-ground varieties: seeds are sown in greenhouse 35-40 days before the intended planting. The secret of growing this type of garden crop lies in the fact that it does not like the scorching sun. GoIt is used to prevent the development of fungal diseases. After two weeks, shoots are recommended to pour a solution of the drug gliokladin. Seeds of late varieties can be sown in open ground with biogreaching. Go
In case of violation of the growing mode (poor ventilation, thickening of plants, severe temperature drops and over-wetting of the soil), peronosporosis (downy mildew) may appear. It appears on cotyledons and leaves of the seedlings in the form of gray-yellow oily spots, covered with a powdery underside of the plate. To combat peronospora, cabbage is pollinated with wood ash (50 g per 1 sq. M) with an interval of 5-7 days. But first of all it is necessary to provide optimal conditions for the maintenance of plants.
If you plant cabbage seedlings in cold weather, the plant will lag behind or may die.
Before planting cabbage seedlings in open ground for 2 weeks you need to prepare:
To ensure high quality seedlings, four basic rules must be followed:
Determine the timing of landing.
Terms of planting white cabbage in open ground
After you have prepared the necessary soil and sowed the seeds, you need to create suitable conditions for their germination. The temperature regime is important here. For seed germination temperature is necessary + 4-5 degrees. After they have sprouted, the temperature should be + 20-25 degrees. As soon as the seeds have germinated, seedlings need to thin out. The temperature should be 10 degrees lower. After one week, it should be already +17 degrees (at night - +9, and on cloudy days - +14).
Many people believe that the process of planting cabbage seeds for obtaining quality seedlings is simple, but this is a delusion. First you need to choose the right place.
On the garden bed before planting, it is necessary to make holes 25 cm deep with a distance of 40-50 cm. After planting, the plants should be watered well, but do it better in the evening when the sun's rays do not fall on them.
If you decide to plant plants with seedlings, choose plants with 5 full sheets each. The height of the plant should be 15-20 cm, when choosing a higher seedling it will be hard for it to settle down, in addition, it can get sick. Saplings of smaller height will give a later and less rich harvest. Go
How to grow seedlings?
Cabbage seedlings are often affected by blackleg. The infection persists and accumulates in the soil, develops with excessive air humidity, sharp fluctuations in soil temperature and thickened planting, the absence of ventilation. When the black leg symptoms appear (the root neck and stem turn black, thin) the plants should be watered with a 0.05% potassium permanganate solution (5 g per 10 l of water - crimson). Calcined sand is poured to treated plants with a layer up to 2 cm. Resistant (relatively) to black leg varieties Belorusskaya 385, Moscow Late 15, Amager, Podarok 2500, Kubanochka, Nadezhda, Malachite Fi.
Be sure to deeply loosen the soil, after each watering seedlings. 20 days after planting, spud the plant. Hilling should be repeated after 10 days. 20 days after planting, you should also feed the plant. To protect seedlings from pests, soil and seedlings can be treated with ashes. Cabbage, a plant that needs moisture. Therefore, when growing cabbage, the soil moisture level should be kept under control. During dry weather, regular watering should be carried out. The plant must be fed 1-2 times during watering.
Take out the seedlings in the afternoon to the balcony.
Light Since during the sprouting, daylight hours are still insufficient to ensure high photosynthesis, seedlings dosachivayut up to 12-15 hours a day. An ordinary fluorescent lamp of any luminescence temperature is suitable for lighting up,
Video about sowing cabbage for seedlings If to be quite scrupulous, then the planting dates need to be calculated based on many factors - the climatic features of the region, the timing of the harvest, the seed germination rate, the position of the moon, etc. If you do not go into such details, then you can take the averaged values and plant:
Observing all the above rules, recommendations and technology of breeding seedlings, you can get excellent results. Despite the fact that obtaining seedlings is a rather painstaking process, but its outcome will definitely please you.
Beijing cabbage planting
Spray the seedlings with potassium sulfate or urea solution.
Watering. It is necessary to water as the soil dries, but it is impossible to pour the cabbage, as well as to overdry it. The frequency of watering is selected individually. After watering, loosening is strictly necessary,
Early cabbage - March 20-28,
How to plant cauliflower
In order to grow healthy and strong cabbage seedlings on your own, you need to follow only a few basic rules. In addition, you need to have a general idea of what this seemingly unpretentious vegetable loves, and what conditions are destructive for him. So, where to start and when to plant cabbage for seedlings? Let's try to figure it out.
This video will tell you how to sow cabbage to get seedlings.
A prerequisite for growing seedlings at home is its additional lighting with a simple fluorescent lamp. When the seedlings grow up it can be planted in the soil.
We plant broccoli
At the same time seedlings get strong and squat. In this case, it will be much easier to transfer to a permanent place of growth.
Gardeners for growing broccoli choose such varieties as:
Do not forget that this vegetable crop can not be planted two years in a row at the same place, because in this case you will not get a rich harvest. The fact is that the abandoned stumps contribute to the reproduction of pathogens of many diseases, and the larvae of the cabbage fly actively reproduce on their roots.
At low boggy ground, cabbages should be planted on ridges 100 cm wide and 18-25 cm high. In areas where there is no danger of waterlogging, cabbages are grown on a flat surface. Cultivation in narrow beds has a positive effect on the quantity and quality of the crop.
Cabbage is grown seedlings to accelerate ripening. Seedlings of the same age, grown in different calendar periods, differ sharply. Improving the temperature and light regimes accelerates the rate of growth, and with earlier sowing the development of seedlings can go slower if the growth conditions are worse. Therefore, calculating the time of sowing for cabbage seedlings, one must bear in mind the possibility of creating optimal conditions for its development.
- early varieties are sown from the last decade of April to mid-May,
- cabbage sredneranny term sow in the end of May, the first decade of June,
- late varieties sown from mid to late May.
In the southern regions, the Rostov region and the Krasnodar Territory, people practice sowing seeds in open ground after March 1, as soon as the earth warms up. Early varieties yield at the end of June. In the Saratov and Voronezh regions cabbage is sown in April. In regions of temperate and northern climates, cabbage is grown from seeds only in greenhouses, under film.
Optimal conditions for growing seedlings - greenhouse or greenhouse. In the apartment, the seedlings are strongly drawn out, the sprouts need coolness.
- early cabbage is sown in early or early March,
- mid-early varieties are sown from mid-March to mid-April,
- late cabbage sown in early April.
Focusing on the period of ripening, select the time of sowing. Early varieties ripen in 2-3 months, medium - 3-5 months, late - 5-7 months. Do not allow perederzhivaniya on the ridges, it leads to cracking heads. Crop in a timely manner harvested, summer - recycle, autumn - stored.
In areas that are at the same latitude with Moscow, Chelyabinsk, and Ufa, it is recommended to grow cabbage in unprotected soil from seedlings, since spring frosts can ruin sprouting sprouts. In regions of a cold climate with a short summer, only a seedling variant of cultivation in open ground is used.
How to plant seeds?
Before planting, the seeds are disinfected in a weak solution of potassium permanganate, heated in hot water (45-50 ° C). In the water, add a spoonful of aloe juice or honey, as a growth promoter. Then the seed is dried.
In a container with soil, seeds are buried by 0.7 cm, in rows at a distance of 3-4 cm. The top box is tightened with a film, creating greenhouse conditions, support + 18-20 ° C. Через 4-5 дней появляются ростки, их помещают в самое освещенное место, снимают пленку. Рассаде необходим световой день в 14-16 часов, поэтому по вечерам включают дополнительное освещение.
Для выращивания капусты без пересадок в открытом грунте в каждую ямку сажают несколько семян на глубину 1 см. Растения прореживают в дальнейшем, оставляя наиболее сильный экземпляр в каждой лунке.
Капуста любит воду, поэтому для грядки подойдет низина, в которой скапливается влага. Участок выбирают освещенный, с постоянным доступом солнечных лучей. Every 3 years in the garden they change culture, cabbage is good for soils after onions, carrots, garlic, and cucumbers.
The land for planting is prepared in autumn, dug up in September, weeds are harvested, and humus is introduced - 3-4 kg per 1 square meter. m. The soil is preferably loamy, with humus content that holds water well. Sour soils lime, add 1-2 cups of chalk per 1 sq. Km. m. In the spring, the plot is again dug up, carefully break up lumps, align with a rake.
Two weeks before the transfer into the ground, seedlings are fed with potassium, which increases frost resistance. In 1 liter of water dissolve 4-6 g of potassium sulfate, water the cabbage.
Early varieties are planted in open soil from April 25 to May 5, mid-season and late - in late May - early June. The procedure is carried out on a cloudy day in the morning or in the evening so that the seedlings are not affected by sunburn.
Before planting, fertilize the soil, make 1 tsp. urea and 1 cup of wood ash per 1 square. m. Between the rows for early cabbage observe a distance of 40-50 cm, between plants - 25 cm is enough.
For late crops, the distance between rows is 50–55 cm; seedlings are planted 30–35 cm apart.
- Each well thoroughly moistened - pour in at least 1 liter of water. With a lack of fertilizers, a pinch of nitrophoska, a tablespoon of wood ash, 0.5 kg of manure interfere in the soil of the fossa.
- The root of the cabbage is taken out with a lump of earth, trying not to damage it, planted directly in the dirt, sprinkled with a layer of dry earth.
- Overgrown seedlings are buried to the first true leaflet.
- Compacting the soil around the stem.
- Water bed - 3-5 liters of water per 1 square. m
- Pritayut covering material, old newspapers for several days from direct sunlight.
- On the second day, sprinkle the soil around the seedlings with tobacco dust to scare away a cabbage fly, at a distance of 5-6 cm from the trunk.
- The first days spend spraying plants with water for better adaptation.
Prevention of parasites
The cruciferous family has many pests, systematic measures to control them are necessary throughout the growing season. Since a waxy bloom forms on the leaves of cabbage, liquid laundry soap is added to the solution with protective preparations for better adhesion.
List of pests (table):
Provoke the death of the whole plant
Decis, Bankol, Bi-58, Karate
Dipel, Lepidotsid, Baktospein
Pretreatment of the soil with a solution of Bordeaux liquid 1% will eliminate the infection of cabbage with fusarium and keel. Prevent seed treatment with disinfectant solutions from rot.
From abundant irrigation of soil refrain from the first time after planting cabbage in open ground. Excessive moisture provokes putrefactive diseases. The frequency of watering in the future depends on the natural conditions and the quality of the soil, 2-3 weeks before the intended harvest, they stop watering.
During the rainy season, heavy loamy soils are watered 3-4 times per season. For light, fertile land, the amount is increased up to 6 times; the hot and dry period is a reason for more frequent soil moistening, especially during the setting and intensive growth of the late-ripening and medium ripeness of varieties.
The crust formed on the surface of the earth after rains and irrigations is loosened to a small depth, ensuring free access of oxygen to the roots. At the same time remove weeds.
To enhance the development of the root system, they rake up the soil to the stem around each seedling 25 cm in diameter, stimulate the growth of new roots. Treated seedlings after 7-10 days after planting in open ground to ensure the stability of the trunk. Re-hilling do in 2-3 weeks, in this way also remove excess moisture in the wet lowlands.
Early varieties fertilize 1-2 times per season, medium and late - 3-4 times. Nitrogen fertilizers are applied no later than a month before harvesting.
At the beginning of the growing season, more nitrogenous substances are used. The first time using superphosphate - 20 g, 10 g of urea, potassium chloride 15 g per 1 square. m. It is convenient to dissolve in a bucket of water and pour into the grooves made in the soil at a distance of 10-12 cm from a number of seedlings.
The second time fed up when the cabbage tying the heads of cabbages. Bring in the aisle on 1 square. m potassium chloride 15-20 g, 10 g of urea, 20-30 g of superphosphate. The dose of potassium is increased for subsequent dressings of late ripening varieties. Consider that the lack of sunlight stimulates excessive accumulation of nitrates.
Landing on a permanent place
After you have grown quality seedlings, it should be planted in the beds. However, two weeks before it is necessary to pre-harden the plants, to accustom them to the effects of cold temperatures, wind, sunlight, which affect the cabbage under the open sky. It is not recommended to transfer the seedlings to the street at low air temperature, as with such a transplant after a month the seedlings will throw out the flower arrow.
To obtain high-quality cabbage heads it is important to use fertile soil. Best of all for such a culture suitable loamy soil, which are located in areas with good ventilation.
Do not forget that for cabbage you need to fertilize the soil in the autumn. For each square meter of land for planting half a bucket of manure is added. In acidic soil can make 1−2 tbsp. l wood ash in each well, mixing it with 2-3 cups of good compost. You can plant several seedling bushes in one hole at once, and then after a couple of weeks, remove the weak ones and leave one of the strongest and strongest cabbage seedlings.
Plants are recommended to replant at the beginning (for early varieties) or at the end of May (for later varieties). The soil in the boxes must be moistened 12 hours before transplanting in open ground. White cabbage must be planted in the beds, following the 45 × 25 cm pattern, and late-ripening varieties using the 35 × 60 cm pattern. Planting of seedlings on the beds should be carried out in cloudy weather or late afternoon on a sunny day. In the first days it is recommended to cover the plants at lunchtime from the hot sun with agrofiber.
Departure after disembarkation
After the cabbage seedlings have been planted in a permanent place, it is necessary to fulfill several important recommendations for the care of plants for the quality formation and rapid development of the crop.
Required operations required:
- weeds in the beds must be regularly destroyed
- it is necessary to constantly conduct preventive treatment of plants with means that protect plants from diseases,
- Regular watering is extremely important, especially for the growth of the vegetative mass in cabbage. Water contributes to the formation of dense and elastic heads, without it it is impossible to get a high-quality and rich harvest,
- Regular feeding of plants makes it possible to grow the right amount of tasty and healthy heads. All dressings must be made with balanced solutions of special fertilizers.
Keep in mind that you can plant seedlings not thicker than 4−5 cm, the depth of the holes must be done based on the size of the roots of the plant. The wells need to be watered only before planting cabbage bushes, about 1 liter of water is poured into each of them, after which a young plant is immediately planted. It is necessary to deepen a stalk so that then it was not necessary to sprinkle the bottom leaf of cabbage.
The culture grows well on the soil after legumes and grain plants. Cabbage grows well if pumpkin crops or root crops (potatoes, turnips, beets, etc.) grew on the plot before it.
With the observance of simple technologies and recommendations it is possible to achieve the proper cultivation of white cabbage, which will provide its owner at home with a good and high-quality crop. The culture can be preserved for the winter, salted in banks, or left for storage in the basement, and then sold in early spring at a good price.
Preparing seedlings for planting
Before planting seedlings in open ground, it must be properly prepared. This process consists of several procedures. First of all, the regulation of irrigation, dressing and hardening:
- stop watering a week before planting. Immediately before disembarking in about 2 hours, water abundantly,
- 2 weeks before planting, fertilize with mineral fertilizers - in ten liters of water, dissolve a tablespoon of urea and potassium sulfate, pour 150 grams per plant,
- 15–20 days before disembarking, begin hardening - bring it to the open air at a temperature of + 5–6 ° C in a sunny place (procedure duration - 20 minutes with a daily increase of 5 minutes).
Before planting, water the seedlings and remove them from the box with a lump of earth.
The growing area should be even and well lit. The most acceptable are loamy soils with a neutral reaction. Bean crops, root vegetables and cucumbers are good precursors for cabbage. All types of cabbage are demanding on soil fertility, therefore, when preparing the beds, attention should be paid to fertilization.
Compost is an excellent organic fertilizer.
In the autumn, before digging, organic fertilizers are applied: manure, humus, compost at the rate of 1 bucket per m 2. In the spring mineral - 1 tablespoon of urea, the same amount of superphosphate and a glass of wood ash per 1 m 2. If organic fertilizers were not introduced in the autumn, it is necessary to do it in spring - humus significantly improves the soil structure. To save fertilizer, you can lay them directly in the wells or rows. In this case, add 0.5 kg of organics to a single plant, a teaspoon of nitroammofoski, 0.5 cups of ash and mix everything well with the soil.
How to plant cabbage seedlings in open ground
It is necessary to replant seedlings with a lump of earth in the prepared hole. Its depth should be slightly larger than the size of the root system and provide for plant penetration to the lower leaflets.
Planting seedlings in the ground
Seedlings of early varieties should be placed in a row after 25–30 cm, between rows of 35–40 cm. For later varieties of white cabbage, which have large forks in the maturity phase, the distance in the row should be increased to 0.5 m. Planting should not be thickened light-requiring