Forest beauty - dessert variety of pears. Despite the Belgian origin, today this culture successfully grows in Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Estonia, Lithuania, Moldova and in the Central Asian republics. On its basis, more than 30 new varieties were bred.
It is interesting! Forest beauty is famous for its amazing durability. Culture is able to survive to a great old age. In the literature, cases have been described where individual instances of a variety existed for about a hundred years.
The tree reaches medium size, its height does not exceed 5 m. The most intensive growth is observed in the first 8 years of culture life. Shoots are thick, straight or slightly curved, covered with reddish bark. Fruits are medium size, egg-shaped. Their weight is 120–150 g, but individual fruits can reach 250–300 g. Pears are covered with a thin, but dense skin with a rough surface. The ripe fruits are golden-yellow with a blush, but they are removed in a state of technical maturity when they have a greenish-yellow color. On their surface you can see gray dots, bright blush and brown spots.
The leaves are dark green in color with finely serrated edges. The stem is short, of moderate thickness. The funnel is narrow and shallow. Seeds are large, pointed shape, dark brown color. The flesh is light yellow, very juicy, oily. The taste is sweet, with a slight sourness.
Important! The crop begins to produce crops for 6–7 years, but if the pear is planted on a quince, fruiting begins already 3 years after planting.
From one tree usually collect from 100 to 200 kg of a crop. Forest beauty is recognized as the most frost-resistant pear of all Western European varieties. It is able to withstand temperatures as low as -50 o C.
This pear is also known as the Oil tree, Alexandrina and Flemish beauty. The breeder L. P. Semerenko called her Marie-Louise. But these are two pomological independent varieties that do not have common characteristics among themselves.
The advantages and disadvantages of the variety
- high taste characteristics
- good immunity to low temperatures and heat,
- heavy fruiting,
- unpretentiousness to the ground.
The disadvantages of the variety are:
- shedding of fruits upon ripening,
- short shelf life of the crop
- susceptibility to scab.
Features planting culture
Forest beauty is partially self-fertile - a high yield can be obtained only with pollinators. For this fit varieties such as Williams, Limonka and Josephine Mecheln. The most preferable for this pear are nutrient friable soils of sandy or loamy type. But it can also bear fruit in moderately dry soil.
When choosing a place you should take into account that the pear needs good lighting. The distance from the ground to groundwater should be 2–2.5 m. A pear is planted in May or October.
For proper fit, it is important to consider the following subtleties:
- Start soil preparation by digging the area and removing weeds. For a pear, a pit 70–100 cm deep and 60–70 cm wide will be required.
- To prepare it you need to start a week before landing. Mix the soil removed by digging a hole with 20 kg of humus, the same amount of sand, 100 g of potassium sulfate, 200 g of superphosphate.
- Pour 1/3 of this hole into the pit. After that, pour in a solution of 30 liters of water and 600 g of dolomite flour, which you must first insist on for a week.
- Place a stake in the center of the pit, place a two-year-old sapling next to it and sprinkle it with soil. Position the root collar 5–6 cm above the soil level.
- Tie a pear to a peg. Water the seedling with 15–20 l of water, then in the area of the near-stem circle, grumble the ground with chopped sawdust.
Important! After planting, the primary pruning of the tree is carried out. Shorten the center conductor so that its upper part from the main branches is separated by a distance of 25 cm. Cut off the side shoots to 1/3 of the length.
How to water?
Young pear during the first year is watered weekly. One tree consumes 10 liters of water. Next, the tree is moistened every 10 days, using 2 buckets of water per 1 m 2. Watering is stopped in August. You also need to take into account weather conditions - the soil is moistened as it dries.
After watering the soil needs to be mulched. Do not water the tree at the root, move 20 cm from the trunk, dig a groove in a circle and feed water there. In October, water recharge irrigation is carried out at the rate of 80–90 buckets of water per tree.
It is necessary to feed a pear from the second year after planting. At the same time, the regularity of fertilization is determined by the type of soil on which the seedling grows:
- If the tree grows on sandy soil, then it is fertilized annually.
- If on chernozem or loamy soils - once in 2-3 years.
So, in the period from March to April humus or rotted manure is introduced (2 kg per 1 m 2). Fertilizer can be used both in dry form and in dissolved form. To do this, mix the nutrients with water in equal proportions. The consumption of such a mixture is 1 bucket per 1 m 2.
In the fall, after the leaves fall, the tree is fed with a composition of 650 g of wood ash, 15 g of urea, 20 g of ammonium nitrate and 50 g of superphosphate. Consumption of this amount of feeding is also designed for 1 m 2.
Important! To stimulate growth, the pear can be sprayed with a solution of 2 cups of wood ash and 10 liters of boiling water. Before use, the composition is cooled and filtered.
Crown Forming Subtleties
To adjust the size of the tree, you need to systematically pruning. The scheme is as follows:
- For 2 year in April, shorten the main shoots by 1/3 the length.
- In the fall, remove the damaged and diseased branches.
- When the tree enters the fruiting stage, once in 3 years, you must perform a rejuvenating pruning, that is, eliminate dried shoots, as well as branches that thicken the crown.
All slices need to be greased with garden pitch, otherwise the released juice will attract pests.. To prepare it, you need to melt fat in a water bath, add crushed rosin and beeswax in the ratio 1: 4: 2. Boil the composition for half an hour on low heat, then cool. Brush your hands with vegetable oil, mash well the pitch and apply on slices. You can store it in a jar, closed with a lid, or in paper.
Planting and care
Pear Forest Beauty, planting and care for which is obligatory and important, will thank the gardener with abundant crops. Fertile soil is needed to obtain a large amount of crop, however, on clay compositions, the tree gives a good result. A self-infertile pear requires pollinators, which can be Josephine Mechelnskaya, Limonka, Williams.
Landing commit in the beginning of May and October. A few days before this event, it is necessary to prepare holes in the ground, which are 80 cm wide, 1 m deep.
Next, you need to combine the ground with superphosphate, 2 buckets of humus, potassium sulfate. Hour 4 roots seedlings hold in water, and then arrange them on fertilized soil. Sprinkle with earth, at the same time placing a stake for fixing the thin trunk of the seedling. Finally fill the ground and pour water. For reliability, cover the ground around the future of the tree with humus or peat.
The variety of pears Forest Beauty in the first year of life does not need fertilizers. From the second year of growth, the tree should be fed with mineral additives. 50 g of ammonium nitrate is spent on 1 square. meter. 50 g of superphosphate in granules, 25 g of potassium sulfate will go to the same area. These fertilizers should be applied in the fall. As for organic additives, they are made every 3 years.
The main disadvantage of such a beauty is scab, which must be fought. To do this, before flowering, as soon as buds begin to swell, trees are covered with copper chloroxide with a 0.5% solution.
The description and photo of the Forest Beauty pear clearly demonstrate that the procedure for pruning branches is necessary for obtaining a high yield.
To adjust the growth of the tree in 1 year you need to complete the formation of the lower tier of the crown. In the second year, continue the formation, shortening the main branches by 1/3. In the third year to bookmark the upper tier of the crown using two branches. The final stage of 4 years is known for laying the upper tier with the third branch. Crown creation is over.
All sections are necessarily processed by garden pitch, which is made from rosin, beeswax and lard. The ratio of the components provided will be 4: 2: 1. For the manufacture of a mixture of fat to melt in a water bath, and chop the rosin. Mix components and cook for half an hour on a stable low heat. This pitch is necessary to prevent pests from eating the exuded juice in slices.
Scab. From such a disease will help 1 ampoule funds "Skor", diluted in 10 liters of water. The drug is applied in the spring, as soon as the leaves begin to bloom on the pear Forest Beauty. Description, photos of diseases of this variety introduce us to another type of disease - fruit rot. Get rid of it will help 40 g of "Homa", diluted in 10 liters. In the spring of this mixture, you need to sprinkle all the wood. The same drug can get rid of cytosporosis. If your pears are black, and the shoots are dried, you know - this is a bacterial burn. Help in this case may 3 tbsp. spoons of copper sulfate, soluble in 10 liters of water.
Taking care of the tree, you will receive the most delicious fruits from your Beautiful Forest.
Pear Forest Beauty in the garden - video
Description and characteristics of the pear variety Forest Beauty
We begin as always with the description of the tree and fruit. Trees of the Forest Beauty variety are of medium or high size. The first ten years the plant grows vigorously, then growth slows down. The crown is a wide-pyramidal shape. The branches hang down slightly. With a large load, they can fall almost to the ground. This makes harvesting easier, but there is a risk of breaking branches. To avoid this, the branches must be tied up.
The plant is characterized by medium foliage. The flowers are small, pinkish, resistant to temperature extremes. This is a frost-resistant culture.
Forest Beauty pear fruits have a slightly elongated, ovoid shape of medium size, weighing from 150 to 300 grams. Their skin is thin, but rather dense. To the touch it is slightly rough. The mature fruit has a golden yellow color, in places that were located under the sunlight, there is a pink blush. The flesh of the pear is tender, juicy, yellowish-white, sweet-sour to the taste.
When they are not collected in time, pears can quickly overripe and rot. In this connection, it is advisable to start the harvest in advance, 9 or 10 days before the fruit ripens. This period falls on the end of August, about 20 - 30 number. After removal from the tree, the pears are kept in safe form for no more than three weeks.
Tree with ripe pears Forest beauty
For variety Russian beauty preferred chernozem loose soil. It should be noted that this plant feels good on other soils, except clay soils.
It is very important to take care of the lighting, it should be enough.
Planting seedlings is recommended in early April, leaves have not yet appeared. In central Russia, seedlings are planted in the fall, the most suitable month is October, because at this time the earth contains a sufficient amount of moisture. This fact will well affect the development of the root system.
The procedure for planting pear trees includes the following steps:
- dig a hole one meter deep and 70 cm wide
- Mix the soil from the pit with fertilizers: 2 buckets of sand with compost, 3 tablespoons of potassium sulfate,
- the mixture is placed in a pit and form a mound
- prepare a solution of 10 liters of water and two glasses of hydrated lime, pour into the landing hole,
- pour over
- planting seedlings carried out in 10 days,
- seedlings before planting placed in water for 2 hours,
- To lower a tree in a pole, to distribute its roots on a mound,
- cover the ground in such a way that the root neck is above the ground at a distance of 5 cm,
- compact the soil
- grind the soil using peat and humus.
Forest beauty - heat-resistant variety. But this does not mean that the trees do not need to be watered. The most suitable method of irrigation is the method of sprinkling. If such a procedure fails, Irrigation is as follows:
- to form a groove around the tree at a distance of 20-30 cm from the trunk,
- pour water into the groove (50 liters per tree).
In order to save the pear from the defeat of diseases and pests, it is necessary to carry out pruning. In addition, it will help increase yields. Pruning is carried out in early spring and in autumn.
Pruning is carried out several times:
- In the first year after planting seedlings. Pruning is done at a distance of half a meter from the ground.
- In the second year after planting, only the four strongest branches are left. Thus form the skeleton of a tree.
- In the following years, the skeletal branches are cut by one quarter.
In addition, all dry, excessively long, broken, defective branches are subject to removal.
Preparing for the winter
To the plant was ready for winter, you need to hold some activities. The first mulch pristvolnuyu area. This procedure is performed using sawdust, humus, peat.
Young trees should be prepared more carefully, you need to warm the trunk. This is useful for straw, leaves, paper.
Preparing pears for the winter. Warming the trunk.
On the eve of frost, you can whitewash the trunk, and young trees can be covered with a solution completely. To prepare the solution for 10 liters of water take 2 kg of lime and a half kilogram of clay.
For the first time, the plant will be enough of the top dressing that was laid in the hole during planting. After three years will require additional feeding.
Mineral fertilizers are applied every year, and organic fertilizers are much less common - once every three years in the autumn period. It will take from 5 to 7 kg of humus under one tree.
- During the flowering period - carbamide.
- After flowering - a solution of nitroammofoski.
- End of June, the plant will need fertilizers, which include potassium and phosphorus.
- In the autumn period to a depth of 10 cm make 150 grams of wood ash per 1 square meter.
Fruits of the Forest Beauty variety cannot be stored fresh for a long time. Therefore, the harvest is carried out before the pears are fully ripe.
Finally pears ripen by the end of August. They will have to be removed before this deadline. For storage, you can use trellised containers. Her sides will need to make paper. Fruits are placed in a container with stem up. One row should not be in contact with another, for this, each row is laid with paper. A container with a crop is placed in a cool room, the humidity of the air should be no higher than 90%.
Harvest and size of the Forest Beauty pear
From pears of this grade do preparations for the winter: jams, jam, compotes.
Diseases and pests
Forest beauty has gained popularity among gardeners, thanks to its resistance to disease. It almost does not start pests.
On the leaves of the Forest Beauty often scab starts - A special kind of fungus. For a long time the fungus does not manifest itself, and when the leaves begin to cover black spots, the disease will already develop to the point that it begins to destroy the organic fibers of the foliage. In a matter of time, the entire crown of the pear tree will be covered with scab.
Young plants are most susceptible to scab, while adults can resist this ailment.
It is difficult to treat the affected plant, so it is advisable to take preventive measures.
Prevention measures for scab:
- Every year to make pruning of the crown, to penetrate the foliage of sunlight.
- In autumn, the fallen leaves are collected and buried.
- To prune affected shoots.
- Spraying the plant Bordeaux liquid.
It is important to carry out prevention from other diseases and insects. In order to protect the plant from fruit rot, chorus or speed is useful. Processing of these drugs produced during the blooming of the kidneys or at the end of flowering. During the summer, carry out prevention of moths. Processing is performed with acrata, match. From pear moth helps treatment chlorophos.
Timely processing will protect the plant from diseases and harmful insects and ensure good yield.
The variety of pears Forest beauty is very popular among gardeners. Pear trees of this variety are hardy and unpretentious to care, and the fruits have a unique juicy taste and aroma.
Preparing in the winter
Due to its good frost resistance, the Forest beauty does not need to be wrapped for the winter. You only need to take care of protecting the tree from mice and rabbits. To do this, the lower part of the trunk is wrapped with a nylon cloth or covered with whitewash, which is prepared from 8 liters of water, 1 kg of lime, 200 g of copper sulphate and 1 kg of chicken manure. The mixture is infused for 3 hours. The trunk and skeletal branches are treated in October at a temperature not lower than +5 o C.
What kind of pears refers?
Pear "Forest Beauty" is an excellent high-yielding autumn variety pears, with a rich history and many virtues.
С ее помощью было получено более 30 новых, очень распространенных сегодня сортов груш.
История селекции и регион выведения
The tree of this variety was discovered by accident, at the beginning of the XIX century. Found it was Chatillon in the Belgian forests, near the town of Alost.
The fruits growing on this tree were different extraordinary sweet taste, and their seeds very soon began to be planted in all Belgian gardens. The variety quickly became widespread, and by the end of the XIX century. forced out almost all varieties of pears, available at that time in Europe.
Pear "Forest Beauty" has several names: Alexandrina, Oil tree and Marie-Louise. Although in Europe, Marie-Louise is considered a separate variety, unrelated to the “Forest Beauty”.
The variety was zoned at the very beginning of the last century. North Caucasus and Lower Volga regions of Russia. However, thanks to its winter hardiness, unpretentiousness and resistance to droughtThis variety has gained popularity in many countries: Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, in the Baltic States and Central Asia.
In these regions pear varieties Victoria, Kupava, Lemonka, Lira and Rossoshanskaya Dessert are excellent.
Pear "Forest Beauty": photo and description of the variety
Tree at the “Forest Beauty” medium to tall, fast growing.
Crown broad, wide pyramidal, not strongly foliated. The bark is gray, rough. The shoots are strong, straight, thick, burgundy.
Buds are small, slightly silvery. The leaves are medium in size, dark green, with a long petiole and finely toothed edges.
The flowers are small, pink and white, with small oval petals. Can grow as inflorescences of 6-10 pieces, or one by one.
Blooms "Forest Beauty" in April and May. A distinctive feature of this variety is absolute insensitivity to frost during flowering.
The fruits of the beauty are not very big, weighing about 120-150 grams, sometimes up to 300 grams. In shape, they resemble a somewhat rounded egg. The skin is thin, but rather dense, slightly rough.
At the beginning of the maturity of the fruit, it is greenish, and when fully ripe it is yellow, with dark subcutaneous spots and red tan on the sunny side.
The flesh is yellow, very tender, juicy and soft, slightly oily, with a very pleasant sour-sweet taste..
Thanks to its great dessert taste These pears are more often consumed fresh, but can also be used for cooking compotes or jam.
For more information about the variety and see pears "Forest Beauty" can be in the photo below:
"Forest Beauty" - extremely frost-resistant grade. Can to withstand temperatures down to –45-50 Сand considered the most winter hardy of all European varieties. In Russia, this variety grows well in fairly harsh climatic conditions.
Another important advantage of the beauty is high yield. It fructifies stable and annually. Only in the number of crops frequency is noted.
If this year the harvest was rich, then the next - much less. Fruiting begins 5-7 years after landing, and when grafting on quince - by 4-5.
Begins ripening on the 20th of August. Unfortunately, "Forest Beauty" prone to rapid ripening, fall and damage of fruits.
therefore harvesting is better to start 8-10 days before their full maturation. But in this case, the fruits are stored for long, only 15-20 days.
The following grades of pears demonstrate excellent yields: Hera, Lada, Children's, Decakrinka, Vernaya and Noyabrskaya.
I planted my Forest beauty on a wild pear, I grew well! Not sick, pears are very good looking (if you collect on time, of course), if you sell. Tolerates frosts and spring drops during flowering.
Very tasty pear, good to care for her - easy. The only thing is that if you are not going to sell the crop, then you shouldn’t plant a lot: we didn’t know what to do in the early years, and the yield from the Forest Beauty is good. Now we give part of the crop before it can spoil.
The pear is good, but we quickly disappeared because of the scab, literally the second year after it began to bear fruit (although it is said that Forest Beauty becomes more resistant to diseases with age). And with friends who were planted at the same time with us, we managed to avoid it, treated it in time for the disease.
Constantly good harvest, we collect until August 20, then "cure" and hold until December 10-15. Then everything is quickly eaten. Jam and jam are beautiful, close compotes in August.
The first harvest was obtained on the 7th year after it was planted, since it has been bearing fruit regularly, there is no yield drop. Once missed time to remove, removed slightly overripe, lay on the strength of three days. Now we are trying to recycle to the maximum, leaving a little.
Variety pear Forest Beauty: video
The Forest Beauty variety is a peculiar old-timer of Russian and Ukrainian gardens, it can now be considered even a “retro” -bear. But the emergence of many new varieties that differ from this crop in terms of characteristics and care did not become an obstacle for true connoisseurs of the former Belgian forest game. Forest beauty is still grown, and with proper care and compliance with sanitary treatments, this pear can live more than forty years, delighting with abundant crops.
Description of a pear of a grade "Forest Beauty"
- trees are of medium height (not more than 5 m), branches are thick, arched, leaves of bright green color, oblong, small pink flowers
- crown - pyramid, branches slightly hanging down. With a bountiful harvest, special props are required to avoid breaking the branches. Plant saplings on a wild pear tree (in this case, the fruit will appear in 7 years) or quince (fruiting will begin in 4-5 years). The peculiarity of the pear is fructification only on the branches of 3-4 years of age.
- yield - the tree bears fruit every year, but the yield can fluctuate and depends on the climate (most of all the pear likes a cool summer, but in the heat of a big crop you should not wait)
- fruits - oval, thin skin, golden-yellow color. A ripened fruit weighing 150-200 g, on its surface there may be spots of gray or rusty color, or a blush on the sunny side. The harvest ripens by the end of summer. A specific feature of the variety is the need to remove the fruit, not waiting for their full ripening, as overripe pears have an unpleasant odor, crumble very quickly and are not stored for a long time
- the flesh is yellowish, very juicy, melting, the taste is delicate, sweetish. In addition to its excellent taste, “Forest Beauty” boasts a rich content of vitamins and micro and macronutrients (vitamins C, B1, B2, B5, B6, B9, PP, calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, iodine, selenium, fluorine, iron , zinc, titratable acids, P-active catechins). In addition, despite the high sugar content (about 9%), the Lesnaya Krasavitsa pear contains few calories and is a dietary product.
- storage - up to 2 months after removal, subject to temperature conditions from 0 to +2 degrees and good ventilation of the room. Tara (wooden boxes) are dried thoroughly before laying.
Advantages of grade "Forest Beauty"
- Winter hardiness The tree is able to safely carry frost to minus 45 degrees. Moreover, the flowers of this variety are frost-resistant - they are able to transfer frost to minus 10 degrees. Due to this, the variety “Forest Beauty” became widespread in the northern regions, where other pear varieties never took root.
- Unpretentious care. The variety does not require special care.
- Unassuming in the soil. Saplings take root well in moderately wet and dry soil, although preference is given to nutritious loose substrates. Pears do not like clay only - when planting seedlings on such soil, one should not expect a rich harvest.
- Resistance to diseases and pests (with the exception of the propensity for scab disease).
- Drought tolerance.
- High yield.
- Excellent taste of the fruit.
Disadvantages pears "Forest Beauty"
- Tendency to scab disease. The fungus infects a tree during cool, wet weather, the disease quickly spreads throughout the crown, the pathogen overwinters in fallen leaves and on the affected branches. In dry hot weather, the risk of disease is significantly reduced, although cases of manifestation of the disease with abundant night dew are possible.
- High shedding of fruits and ovaries.
- Short shelf life of fruits.
- Unpleasant smell that overripe fruits get.
Care and prevention of diseases
- seedlings in open ground are recommended to be planted in spring (always before the appearance of young leaves) or in autumn (preferably for regions with a mild climate, well-moistened soil promotes rooting and better survival of the seedlings). It is important to immediately plant a seedling at a permanent place of growth, as the pear does not tolerate transplants. Before planting the seedling, it is necessary to prepare the soil: in a pit about a meter deep they mix soil, compost and sand, add a few spoons of potassium sulfate, make a hill. Then, in a bucket of water, dilute a couple of glasses of hydrated lime, pour this solution into the mixed soil. After that, 3-4 holes are poured in the pit with clean water and allow fertilizer to be re-ground for about two weeks. On the expiration of this period, it is possible to plant the seedling in a prepared pit.
- compulsory annual pruning of the crown - thus ensuring the necessary ventilation and sufficient illumination by the sun's rays
- removal of infected shoots
- burying fallen leaves thoroughly
- annual digging of soil in pristvolny circle
- mandatory preventive treatment bordeaux liquid
Varieties of pears "Forest Beauty"
On the basis of the “Forest Beauty”, scientists have deduced more than 60 species of varieties that exceed the initial variety in various indicators. The most common ones are:
- "Michurinskaya" - frost resistance is improved (the variety is able to tolerate frosts up to minus 48 degrees for several months, without requiring additional preparation for the winter)
- "Sweet Dessert" - in this grade high sugar content (up to 11%)
- "Elena" - increased pollination rate - up to 95% of flowers are tied into fruits (in the original variety, this indicator is only up to 80%)
Reviews about pear "Forest Beauty"
““ Forest Beauty ”for us is the most delicious pear - juicy, tasty and unpretentious. And although pears are not stored for a long time and fall from a tree, they make very tasty jam and fragrant dried fruits. The tree has grown a big and always rich harvest. ”
“This variety is reminiscent of childhood. My grandfather in the garden always tasted juicy fragrant fruits. Juice flowed from hand to hand. Planted "Forest Beauty" on your site. We have a bountiful harvest for several years in a row. I solve the problem of storage simply enough - I cook the juice in a juice cooker. Very sweet is obtained.
"" Forest Beauty "planted because of its winter hardiness. In the first winter, the saplings froze over the level of snow, and in the spring, shoots started sprouting. The roots are not affected. I want to try to grow a tree, letting part of the branches in the stanants ".
“My favorite pear is“ Forest Beauty ”. Fruits are beautifully shaped, dense, crunchy, juicy and very sweet. "
“In my opinion“ Forest Beauty ”is the most delicious variety of pears. The only problem is that when it overrides, it is stored for only a few days. ”