Mangosteen is an exotic fruit, which is home to the countries of Southeast Asia, where it is recognized as the king of fruits. Many residents of the CIS countries know the fruit from trips to Thailand. This wonder can be found on sale and with us. True, given the cost of delivery, this product is not a cheap pleasure. Due to the beneficial properties of the mangosteen fruit, it becomes more and more popular every year.
Before exploring the mangosteen fruit, its beneficial properties and the hazards of this product, let's find out how it looks on the outside and inside.
Externally, the mangosteen is similar to an apple covered with a thick purple-burgundy peel, which is not suitable for food. Under it is juicy edible flesh of white color in the form of cloves resembling garlic. Inside the pulp can be found closely fitting seeds.
Mangosteen has a light aroma and sweet-sour taste, which can be described as a combination of pineapple, citrus, strawberry, grape, peach and apricot. The flesh of the fruit is so juicy that it melts right in the mouth, it perfectly quenches thirst. In addition to the divine taste, mangosteen (fruit) also has useful properties (the photo of the fruit can be seen below).
What is so good mangosteen? The fruit, the beneficial properties of which are determined by its most valuable chemical composition, has healing properties.
First of all, mangosteen is a real fount of xanthones - the most powerful natural antioxidants, of which there are 39 out of 200 that exist in nature. Xanthones are known for their ability to destroy free radicals, maintain a healthy weight, improve the body's defenses and rejuvenate it. In addition, they contribute to the improvement of brain activity and have a positive effect on the cardiovascular system. Their impact on the human body occurs at the cellular level. Scientists have discovered that xanthones have the ability to lead to the destruction of malignant cells.
The peel of an exotic fruit contains as much catechins as green tea. These substances are known for their antimicrobial, immunomodulatory and anti-tumor effects.
Fruit mangosteen has beneficial properties due to the presence in the composition of a number of vitamins. The vitamin complex is represented by vitamins A, B (thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pyridoxine, pantothenic and folic acids), C, E and D.
What else is valuable mangosteen fruit? The beneficial properties of the fruit provides the presence of such macro-and micronutrients as potassium, magnesium, calcium, zinc, iron, phosphorus, manganese, etc.
The calorie content of the fruit does not exceed 72 kcal per 100 grams.
What fruit has mangosteen?
The composition of the fetus helps strengthen the immune system. Mangosteen has a wound-healing effect and ensures the body’s resistance to bacteria and viruses. Its unique properties can be appreciated by those who suffer from parasites, fungi, viruses and pathogenic microorganisms. However, the mangosteen provides the most valuable assistance in the fight against cancer.
Regular intake of this exotic fruit allows you to maintain the cardiovascular system in the correct rhythm, stop headaches and get rid of insomnia.
Mangosteen fruit (its beneficial properties are still the subject of study) normalizes metabolic and digestive processes. For this reason, many nutritionists in their practice often use the fruits of mangosteen as a fat burning agent. In addition, it is effectively used for diarrhea.
Mangosteen helps to improve the endocrine system and to establish hormones.
Tropical fruit juice helps to recover faster after surgery, serious illnesses and depression. Thanks to its use it is possible to rejuvenate and cleanse the body, as well as to increase its vitality.
Mangosteen and Weight Loss
During the diet, experts recommend eating foods with a maximum fiber content and antioxidants. This food helps maintain the body's necessary level of vitamins and feel good. It is for this reason that fruit mangosteen will come in handy. Useful properties of this fruit can not only fill the deficiency of vitamins and minerals, but also speed up the metabolism, strengthen the immune system.
An important role in weight loss also plays a purely psychological aspect, when taking mangosteen allows you to make the diet menu more tasty and varied. This makes it possible not to break with a fairly strict diet.
If you study the mangosteen (fruit), beneficial properties and harm of this fruit, you can find that it, like all exotic foods, can cause allergic reactions. Therefore, the fruit with caution should be taken by people prone to allergies to fruits.
In addition, mangosteen is not recommended to be consumed in large quantities for diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, pancreas, kidney and liver diseases in the acute stage.
During pregnancy, his admission is allowed, if he was present in the diet before and safely tolerated.
Use in traditional medicine
It is worth noting that the mangosteen is not only useful pulp. In folk medicine in Asia, the dried peel of an exotic fruit has been successfully applied. Various ointments, creams that are used to treat dermatological diseases are made from ground into powder peels. Means based on the peel of a mangustine treat both banal skin rash and severe forms of eczema. Good effect have antibacterial creams for the feet, as well as for the care of problem skin.
As a binder, mangosteen peel powder is used for diarrhea and dysentery.
How to choose the right fruit
When choosing a mangosteen, attention should be paid to the color of the leaves at the top of the fruit. Their color should be bright green, not brown. The brown color of the leaves indicates that the fruit is overripe and begins to deteriorate.
A sign of ripe mangosteen is its resilience. When pressed, the fruit should spring, and not be hard, like a watermelon peel. A unique feature of the fruit is that if it began to rot, it is completely imperceptible in appearance. You can check the quality of the product only by touching it and carefully inspecting the leaves.
Choose better fruits bigger, as they contain more pulp. In addition, the mangosteen with a large number of leaves - more juicy, they have less seeds.
To enjoy the exotic, first of all, the fruit must be properly cut. To do this, through the center of the mangosteen make a circular incision, trying not to hurt the pulp, and then open it. You can also cut off the top of the fruit, and eat the flesh with a spoon.
Fruit is used, as a rule, in fresh form, without being subjected to heat treatment, because it loses the aromatic and taste qualities of the product.
You can store it in the refrigerator. True, the shelf life, as a rule, does not exceed 7-10 days. In those countries where mangosteen grows, it is believed that the fruit that ripened on the tree is the most delicious and healthy. To bring it to us, the mangosteen is ripped off unripe, but this does not affect its usefulness.
What can be cooked from it
This most valuable tropical fruit is most often used to prepare exotic salads, unusual sauces for meat and fish, fruit cocktails, mousses, souffles, syrups, as well as sweet fillings for pies.
Particularly noteworthy is the juice of mangosteen, which is made from whole fruit. It is worth noting that we have it on sale recently. The value of this product is that it helps to maintain a high pH level in the body. And this, in turn, allows you to get rid of parasites and microbes, because for their existence requires an acidic environment. It is also drunk to maintain a vigorous state, speedy recovery after illnesses and operations. According to some reports, mangosteen juice has a beneficial effect on the body in the treatment of cancer.
What is mangosteen?
Mangosteen (mangosteen, mangosteen or garcinia) is the fruit of the same-name evergreen tree. Mangosteen's flesh is snow-white and looks like a garlic clove, and it is covered with a dense skin of purple, maroon-purple color. The edible part, the flesh, consists of 4-10 segments and is distinguished by an unusual texture and a unique fresh, sour taste.
Mangosteen tree can grow and bear fruit only in countries with a humid equatorial climate. The slightest changes in the optimal natural conditions affect the plant in the most negative way. In our country, the product is most often brought from Thailand, where trees bear fruit from May to August. At another time, mangosteen should not be acquired; there will be neither taste nor benefit in it.
Mangosteen is eaten in different ways. It is ground and used as a dressing of fruit salads, flavoring additives to yogurt or ice cream. Sometimes the pulp is allowed to jam or jelly, juice is extracted from it. Also, the core can be crushed and served as a separate dish on chipped ice.
What substances make mangosteen so useful?
Like many tropical fruits, mangosteen is a storehouse of nutrients. They are perfectly combined and complement each other, ensuring a positive effect on the body. Regularly eating mangosteen, you can forget about many health problems.
- Vitamins A, groups B, C. Each of the elements has its own properties and functions, which together contribute to the maintenance of health and well-being.
To determine the ripeness of mangosteen, you need to gently press on its top. Then the peel itself will burst, freeing the flesh. If this trick does not work, the fruit is not yet ripe, and it will have to be cleaned with a knife.
- Copper. Participant in the processes of enzyme synthesis. Its deficiency can adversely affect the state of the nervous and immune systems, blood formation, metabolism.
- Potassium. Component of intercellular fluids. The element is responsible for the normal operation of blood vessels, muscle tissue and endocrine glands. In combination with sodium, it is responsible for maintaining water balance. Potassium deficiency is manifested in the form of edema, hypertension.
- Magnesium. Lack of substance is one of the causes of increased blood sugar. Even its deficiency can trigger the development of depression, chronic fatigue. In combination with calcium, it increases bone strength.
- Phosphorus. A substance that is responsible for the condition of the teeth and bone tissue. It also stimulates cell regeneration, tissue renewal and metabolic processes.
- Sodium. Responsible for the condition of the skin and mucous membranes, the level of blood pressure. In combination with chlorine, it stimulates the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach. In combination with potassium, it regulates the state of muscle tissue, the work of the heart and blood vessels.
- Calcium. Component of bones and teeth, heart rate regulator. Also involved in the production of hormones, increases the permeability of cell membranes and strengthens the immune system.
- Xanthones Natural antioxidants that bind free radicals and remove them from the tissues. They are also famous for their tonic, antimicrobial and antiviral properties.
This is not all nutrients in the composition of mangosteen, but their concentration in the pulp is the highest, so that they can be considered specialized. And the already listed beneficial ingredients are enough to make mangosteen not just tasty, but also a healing fruit.
What gives the regular use of mangosteen?
The rich chemical composition and the right combination of ingredients underlie an impressive list of the fruit's beneficial properties:
- Immunity is strengthened as the work of the lymphatic system improves.
- Tissues receive the necessary nutrients in sufficient volume.
- All protective barriers of the body are updated and improved. For example, the skin becomes less susceptible to the negative effects of ultraviolet radiation.
- Inflammatory processes are eliminated at all levels. Regular consumption of mangosteen helps with neuralgia, acne, arthritis and a number of other systemic diseases.
- The body's reactivity decreases, so allergic manifestations are less common.
- Vital activity of fungi, bacteria and other pathogens is inhibited.
- The synthesis of collagen and elastin is activated, which has a positive effect on the skin condition.
- According to scientists, the substances in the composition of mangosteen are able to fight cancer cells, triggering the processes of their self-destruction.
These are universal results of the influence of mangosteen components on the human body. In addition, the product has more specific properties. For example, eating fruit contributes to weight loss by removing excess fluid from the tissues and stimulating the synthesis of enzymes.
Can mangosteen harm?
The negative effects of using mangosteen are extremely rare. Most often they occur against the background of an obvious abuse of the fruit or its combination with medication. Just in case, you should remember:
- As part of the pulp there are substances that can change the rate of blood clotting. Do not eat the fetus too often if you have problems with this indicator or while taking anticoagulants.
On mangosteen, rich in magnesium and vitamin B6, special attention should be paid to women. Fruit perfectly improves mood and reduces the severity of negative symptoms characteristic of PMS or menopause.
- In combination with certain medications, mangosteen can reduce the reaction rate and have a pronounced sedative effect.
- If there is unripe fruit or simply abusing mangosteen, there is a risk of increased acidity in the stomach.
- No one is immune from allergies to an exotic fruit or some substance from its composition.
Mangosteen does not contain toxins, therefore, if negative effects occur, they do not require special treatment. It is enough to refuse the fruit or reduce the usual portion to 1 tablespoon of pulp no more than 3 times a day.
How to use mangosteen for medicinal purposes?
For therapeutic purposes, mangosteen is often used in dried form.
- Dried and shredded skin of the fruit helps to cope with bouts of dysentery.
- A decoction made from mangosteen skins will ease the condition for diarrhea, cystitis, gonorrhea.
- A decoction of the sepals of the fruit is used for fever and helps a lot with stomatitis.
- If you first bake the pulp and then soak it in water and grind to a puree, you can get rid of diarrhea in a few hours.
How to choose the mangosteen?
Of course, all the listed results can be counted on only if the fetus is correctly selected. Before you buy mangosteen, you need to pay attention to such moments:
- It is impossible that the peel was dry, the presence of cracks indicates that the fetus is overripe. It is better when the skin is dense and slightly springy with pressure.
- Bright purple skin should not be covered with specks. Their presence is a sign of long-term storage.
- The peel contains bitter juice. If the fruit shell is damaged, then most likely the bitter juice will fall into the pulp.
- Mangosteen should be quite heavy and large. Then the core will also be big.
What is a mangosteen and where does it grow
The fruit queen, Mangosteen, grows in countries with a tropical climate and is very popular all over the world. Mangosteen fruit ripens on an evergreen tree, sometimes called Garcinia. If you notice, there may be different variations of the name - mangosteen, mangosteen or even mangosteen, they are all equally true and can be used.
Mangosteen - what is it? This fruit is a hybrid of two varieties of trees, and it was developed in nature in an evolutionary way without human participation. Another interesting fact is that the mangosteen does not need to be pollinated by insects, as they have both male and female signs, therefore they fertilize themselves, and this has a good effect on the population of trees as a whole. Also, the plant is not subject to attacks by birds and insects, because its flowers do not contain nectar.
Where does the mangosteen tree grow? As a rule, people in Thailand use large quantities of mangosteen, as well as it has found uses in culinary Indonesia and south-east Asia. The tree dies at temperatures below +5 degrees, so a hot tropical climate is a necessary condition for growth.
What does the mangosteen look like
Mangosteen fruit is painted in a beautiful, rich burgundy color with an admixture of purple. Кожура плодов довольно плотная, и перед употреблением ее необходимо снимать. По размеру экзотический плод приблизительно равен головке чеснока, и да и внутренним содержимым внешне похож на привычный нам овощ. Мякоть белая, очень приятной мягкой текстуры, распадается примерно 4-10 долек, как и чеснок. На что похож мангустин по вкусу сказать сложно – каждый чувствует в нем разные нотки.But the majority agree that the taste is quite pleasant, gives fresh notes with a slight pleasant sourness.
How to eat mangosteen
Unfortunately, the mangosteen pulp contains quite a bit, the skin takes up a significant part of its size, but these few paradise slices are worth a try. How to clean the mangosteen? The first thing you need to cut the stem and make a neat cuts in the skin crosswise. After this, the skin is easily removed with a knife, without damaging the valuable pulp. Inside the soft lobules there are bones, and, the smaller the lobules in size, the fewer bones there will be. If you touch the flesh with a knife, the juice will begin to flow out, and it is he who gives the mangosteen a unique taste. You should not clean all purchased fruits at once - they can be quite successfully stored in a refrigerator for up to two weeks. Eating raw is completely safe.
What does a mangosteen taste like?
The taste of the mangosteen will hardly leave anyone indifferent, if only because among the fruits we are used to, there is not even a vaguely similar to it. The pulp texture is especially pleasant - tender, elastic and juicy. Mangosteen has sweetish notes, which, in combination with a slightly sour taste, make it an excellent dessert.
The extensive list of minerals in the pulp of the mangosteen makes it particularly useful for growing organisms of children and adolescents. It contains the most important trace elements such as zinc, phosphorus, potassium, iron, also rich in magnesium. In addition, catechin and xanthones are found in the composition, which not everybody can boast of, even an exotic fruit.
The energy value
Mangosteen has a high fiber content, which has a beneficial effect on bowel function, as well as glucose and fructose. Proteins are contained in an amount of 0.6 g per 10 grams, fats - about 0.4 g, carbohydrates - about 15 g. Saturated fat in the pulp of mangosteen is not contained. Scientists have found that consuming 100 grams of mangosteen per day replenishes up to 13% of the rate of fiber production per day.
How is mangosteen useful?
Fruit Mangosteen How Good Is It?
Mangosteen useful properties:
- improvement of the lymphatic system and, therefore, improves the condition of the body and is the prevention of colds and heart disease,
- the composition nourishes all tissues of the body, making them strong and elastic, for example, after operations,
- a beneficial effect on the skin - there is a kind of barrier to protect against UV radiation,
- slows down the course of inflammatory processes in the body, and with regular use and completely stops,
- Mangosteen is also used in skin diseases, for example, in the fight against acne,
- for allergy sufferers, the use of mangosteen, in the absence of contraindications, reduces the number of allergy attacks,
- used as a means of reducing the activity of fungal bacteria and other pathogens in humans,
- collagen is synthesized, which will be a pleasant effect for women, as it has visible improvements in skin quality,
- some scientists have concluded that the composition of the mangosteen helps in the fight against cancer cells, leading to their destruction,
- for women in the PMS period, mangosteen is beneficial in its composition and improves mood.
The benefits and harms of the mangosteen are already well studied, so you need to pay attention to contraindications, especially with regular consumption of fruit.
Can mangosteen harm
Mangosteen use is absolutely safe and negative effects occur only if the measure is not followed, as well as combinations with certain drugs.
So, if you have problems with blood clotting, then you should not abuse mangosteen, because it may have changes during this process.
Some drugs should not be used together with mangosteen, because in combination they will have the effect of slowing down the reaction and drowsiness. This can be checked with your doctor.
Also, the use of immature mangosteen is fraught with an increase in the level of acidity in the stomach, so if you have similar problems, you should not get too carried away with even ripe fruits.
As in the case of any exotic fruit, allergic reactions are possible, so keep an eye on your skin and condition.
Fortunately, mangosteen does not contain toxins; therefore, in case of negative reactions, no drastic measures will be required, for example, gastric lavage. Just give up the mangosteen or eat 1 tablespoon per day.
Mangostin benefit and harm
Benefit. What fruit has beneficial properties? The complex of valuable substances of the fetus strengthens the immune system. It has a wound-healing effect and ensures the body’s resistance to microbes and viruses. Eliminates fungi, parasites, viruses and pathogenic microbes. Still, the most mangosteen manifests itself in a battle with cancer diseases. Systematic intake of fruit will improve the work of the cardiovascular system, removes headaches and insomnia.
It normalizes metabolic and gastric processes. For this reason, mangosteen is used as fat burning. It is effectively used in diarrhea. It helps in the endocrine system and corrects hormones. Fruit juice helps to rehabilitate after general surgical interventions, serious diseases and melancholy. When using it, rejuvenate and cleanse the body, increase vitality.
Contraindications. There is also harm from this fruit. He begets allergic reactions. His care should be eaten by people suffering from allergies to fruits. It is not recommended to use in large quantities for diseases of the gastrointestinal system, pancreas, kidney and liver diseases in the phase of complication. He is eaten during pregnancy if he has been in the diet before and has been successfully tolerated.
Useful properties of fruit
What fruit has mangosteen? This fruit has been used for many years in South-East Asia, the Philippines, and other countries as a medicine of general medicine. Impact:
- Immunostimulating. It improves the lymphatic system, helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Nutritional. With the ingestion of the body acquires a lot of necessary substances.
- Protective. Improves protective barriers from external influence: ultraviolet radiation, free radicals.
- Antiphlogistic. It lowers the intensity of inflammatory processes, prevents the occurrence of arthritis, neuralgia, kidney stones, hypertension, Alzheimer's and Lyme disease, glaucoma, and acne.
- Antiallergenic. Reduces the explicitness of allergic processes.
- Antimicrobial, antifungal. Xanthones, passing inside the cell, destroy microbes, not allowing them to influence DNA.
- Antioxidant. Normalizes the formation of collagen and elastin. Improves the supply of cells with nutrients, raises the defensive functions of the body, promotes the removal of heavy compounds and radiolysis products.
- Anti-oncology. The xanthones that make up the fruit can make cancer cells self-destruct.
- Improvement of the body as a whole. Improves metabolic processes, which improves the performance of all body systems.
What does a fruit look like
The mangosteen is the fruit of the tropical garcinia tree. Resembles chestnut fruit or walnut. The rind is dense, thick, makes up almost half of the fruit. It is a rich violet or burgundy in color: the thicker the color is, the more ripe and juicier the fruit is.
Mangosteen cores are creamy white slices (4-8), resemble the head of young garlic. How many of them have fruit, you can find out by examining the "flower" on the side opposite from the stem.
The region of the planet where mangosteen grows is humid tropics or subtropics.
Plantations spread out in Southeast Asia (Thailand), on the Malay and Indonesian archipelagoes.
In these trees, everything is not like the others:
- there are “male” and “female” flowers, so insect pollination is not necessary,
- flowers are white or pinkish, with fleshy petals, rich in green or scarlet spot,
- The leaves of young seedlings are thin pinkish, with time a velvety appearance appears, they turn green, becoming darkish from the face, light from the “inside”.
Domestic garcinia - low, with a rich crown.
How correctly called
At the household level, the plant appears under different names.
Wikipedia also uses several options:
- An article about the plant is called “Mangosteen” (as in the Great Soviet Encyclopedia),
- The authors also call the tree Mangosteen and Garcinia,
- references are made to Russian classic writers who used the term “mangosteen”.
Thais prefer "Mangkut" with an emphasis on "y". Even in the special botanical literature there are different interpretations, so the fruit can be called as you like: garcinia, mangut, mangosteen, mangosteen or mangosteen.
Is it possible to grow a seedling at home
Many botanical gardens are trying to grow a tree. But it is delicate, requires moisture, heat.
Growing at home is possible if you create a microclimate close to the natural, that is tropical.
Light, fluffy soil is needed. Mangosteen seeds before laying are treated with potassium permanganate or special preparations.
The pots are covered with transparent material, moisten the soil so as not to dry out. When sprouts appear, the “cover” is removed. Daily watered, sprayed. With the appearance of six leaves on a seedling transplanted into open ground. The fruits will be tied in nine to ten years. You can grow mangosteen indoors, but the fruits will not be only beautiful exotic.
What mangosteen tastes like, everyone will respond differently. The only thing that everyone who has tried it agrees with is that it is unique, not like any fruit we are used to.
The taste of ripe mangosteen is intense, combining the sweetness of mango with a slight pineapple acidity.
One can hear the soft strawberry-strawberry, peach notes. Someone catches the astrology of citrus or cherry.
Ripe fruit exudes a delicate flavor that combines vanilla with mango.
The immature mangosteen fruits are hard, more acidic, and have no flavor.
How to choose and use mangosteen
Tropical exot seems impregnable. But to clean and eat it is easy, the main thing is to know how to choose the mangosteen correctly.
Ripe quality mangosteen has the following appearance:
- the peel is slightly moist, as if varnished, slightly springy when pressed, pimply,
- skin color - bright violet or dark burgundy,
- freshness indicator - bright green leaves on the stem.
The unripe mangosteen is yellow, hard. He is chosen to bring home.
When meeting a fruit, the problem of how to clean mangosteen is unavoidable. Butchering procedure resembles "orange":
- tear off the stem with leaves
- cut the peel round the top or crosswise, remove,
- split cloves
- can be cleaned manually: a little pressure, after cod split in half.
The rind is thick, from half a centimeter to a centimeter, however, with any method of cleaning the mangosteen, care must be taken not to hurt the flesh. Otherwise, the juice will pour out.
If you cut the mangosteen on top to the pulp, it can be removed with a spoon.
Mangosteen is consumed mostly fresh. For the local population, it is also an ingredient in all dishes - from first to dessert, wine, baking. The fruit is dried, dried, canned. But do not freeze: it becomes watery, "no."
Bones are edible conditionally: they have prussic acid (low concentration).
The most useful option for consumption of mangosteen. But care is needed not to swallow the bones in the flesh.
Ice cream, smoothies, cocktails, other desserts with fresh mangosteen are exotic fruit.
The washed rind is ground by a blender, added to soups, as well as sauces (fish, meat). Dried ground raw material goes as a seasoning to first courses, salads, desserts.
The most fragrant and healthy - freshly squeezed. In quality, it is the same as fresh mangosteen:
- breaks down fats, so it is included in the diet,
- helps to recuperate after a hard work or operation
- fights off parasites, infections, bacteria,
- A glass of mangosteen juice easily invigorate, improve mood.
You can squeeze without removing the skin. It adds viscosity to taste, so this juice is mixed with sweet fruit or sweetened.
One of the advantages of the mangosteen to many tropical fruits is safety and maturity.
The question of how to store the mangosteen is easy to solve. In a dry warm or slightly cool place, a fresh exotic fruit does not spoil for three to four weeks. In the refrigerator - a week or two. This is one of the few exotic animals that can ripen in the middle lane, retaining useful properties. The washed dried mangosteen is wrapped in parchment or similar paper. Leave in a dry place. When the peel becomes dense purple, the fruit is ripe. It is important to lay on the ripening absolutely dry fruit, so that the mold does not form. Do not use polyethylene, pack the mangosteen tightly.
Fruit mangosteen composition calorie and nutritional value
No wonder christened mangosteen fruit of the Gods. Its vitamin-mineral assortment plus calorie saturate and heals a person.
Mangosteen contains the following ingredients:
- vitamins: groups B, A, C, E, thiamine, riboflamin,
- micro and macronutrients: copper, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium, calcium, potassium, zinc,
- enzymes: xanthones, kakhetins, sterols, polyphenols.
Catechin and xanthones are the property of the mangosteen. They are not even in every exotic fruit. For example, xanthones in nature, there are about 200 species, and there are 39 mangosteen. That is, the fifth part. According to this parameter, mangosteen has no competitors among vegetables or fruits.
Mangosteen is ideal for dieters and dieters. Caloric value of 100 grams of pulp - 61-72 kcal. The dried or dried product is almost twice as high.
Mangosteen contains vitamins and enzymes that regulate metabolism, burn fats. Therefore, it is appreciated by everyone who dreams of losing weight.
However, fresh fruit is not available to everyone. They will rescue the drug mangosteen, which appeared on the market of dietary products in Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan. He has a Certificate of State Registration of the Member States of the Customs Union and a hygienic certificate as a dietary supplement. It comes as a "mangosteen syrup (concentrate)". The drug is effective for weight loss, approved by nutritionists. It retains the properties of fresh mangosteen, so the contraindications are similar.
Buy better on the official website or from trusted suppliers. The product is concentrated, therefore, the instructions should be studied carefully.
The use of mangustins in medicine
Healing properties, the effects of mangosteen in the East doctors have been studying for centuries. Official Western science has been doing this for two hundred years.
The arsenal of oriental medicine includes mainly the components of the tree and the inedible parts of the fruit:
- decoctions of leaves and flowers of the mangosteen are prescribed for ailments of the nervous system, digestion, gynecology,
- the liquid in which the root was boiled restores the menstrual cycle,
- A decoction of leaves and bark is given for stomatitis, fever, diarrhea, cystitis, urethritis and as antipyretic,
- infusion of leaves and peel treat inflammations of the respiratory systems, kidneys, liver, wash diseased or fading skin,
- A decoction of bark is treated with open wounds and large cuts to avoid blood loss.
Doctors do not neglect the peel: almost all food enzymes are concentrated here. Crushed dry raw cures dysentery. Extracts from the peel and bones improve the composition of the blood.
Mangosteen Harm and Contraindications
Like any product, especially tropical, mangosteen is not suitable for everyone and not always:
- Fruit is forbidden to allergies, people with kidney problems, stomach (high acidity).
- The pulp contains substances that accelerate blood clotting.
- Inhibits the effect of drugs.
- What is the benefit and harm of a mangosteen for pregnant women, nursing mothers, young children, European scientists have not fully figured out. Therefore, it is better to consume these categories gradually, after consulting a doctor.
Individual factor intolerance can become a stop factor in the use of fruit. For many, the mangosteen is exotic, so you need to start dating with small portions: half or one fruit.
Mangosteen is best tasted in Thailand or neighboring countries. There fruits are available year round. In season, from April to September, prices are cheap. In winter, high. Recognized as the most delicious fruits collected from the end of July.
Connoisseurs are advised to try magnustin wine: indescribable feelings are guaranteed.
Home can bring ripe fruit. If you want to extend the pleasure, take the unripe mangosteen.
The fruit is oval in shape, very beautiful - thick dark purple or purple peel hides the white, sweet-filled pulp, which is easily divided into slices, and tastes like tangerine or grapes (someone will notice the similarity with lychee). Inside each lobule there is a bone. Мясистую мякоть кушают свежей, маринуют, запекают или варят джемы, готовят чаи, нежное пюре. На основе мангустина делают крема от растяжек, крема, шампуни, а из коры дерева, на котором растут плоды, изготавливают крепкую мебель.The leaves in Ghana replace chewing gum, and decoctions, due to fiber, are able to restore the digestive tract and the intestinal microflora, free from diarrhea, constipation and yeast fungi in thrush.
The rind, which is often ruthlessly thrown out in a hurry to reach the juicy fruit, contains a large number of xanthones (up to 60), stimulating memory, improving the functioning of the heart muscle (harmful cholesterol is eliminated, the risk of diseases such as ischemia, stroke) is reduced.
Xanthones absorb free radicals, destroy viruses, preventing them from entering the cells, strengthen the immune system. Tannin, which is also contained in the peel, easily tightens scratches and inflamed wounds, treats acne.
- Ascorbic acid (protects against flu, colds),
- Nicotinic acid (reduces craving for alcohol and smoking),
- Vitamin A (retinol),
- Vitamin D, E,
- Pectin (in the peel),
- Fatty acids (in seeds),
100 g of the product contains only 75 calories. Fruits are quickly digested and create a feeling of fullness for a long time. Not only the peel or the pulp of the fruit is useful, but also fresh juice - it maintains an alkaline balance and speeds up lipid metabolism.
Mangosteen: Medical Use
The fruits are unique - with the help of juicy pulp, you can not only normalize the bowels or lose weight, but also remove headaches, restore restful sleep, and improve the functioning of the thyroid gland. Antioxidants slow down skin aging, cleanse black spots and pimples, treat dermatitis, eczema, acne, inhibit the formation of cancer cells. Lotions with fruit juice relieve swelling, relieve joint pain in arthritis, radiculitis. Juice is very popular, fights against obesity, it is recommended by doctors to recover from surgical operations.
Mangosteen fruit is recommended for the prevention of diseases such as:
- Neuralgia, neurasthenia,
- Skin diseases (shredded tree bark is used)
- Menstrual failures
- Parkinson's, Alzheimer's,
Fruits strengthen the skeletal system, saturate with energy, increase mood.
How to choose and clean the garcinia
The best time to purchase is winter or summer. If the peel is too light, it means that the fruits were torn off ahead of time, they did not have time to ripen (they can even "reach" the condition and in a torn state). The peel must be clean, without spots (any dark spot means rot), and elastic to the touch. Hard fruit - overripe, the flesh inside will be shrunken, and too soft - spoiled. Garcinia is stored in the refrigerator for no more than 14 days.
Separate the tail (peduncle), cut the skin with a knife, pry with your fingers - the fruit is easily broken into halves. White slices are easy to pick up with a fork. The size of the fruit does not exceed the mandarin, but there are also larger specimens. The larger, the more juicy pulp will be inside.
With this article read:
Useful properties for the body
Like any fruit, mangosteen is extremely beneficial to the human body. First of all, it strengthens the immune system and enriches the body with vitamins, fiber and essential minerals. Mangosteen also accelerates wound healing and helps the body fight viral and bacterial diseases. In addition, a beneficial effect on the skin was found. On the basis of which studies were conducted, which showed that this tropical fruit is a good tool in the fight against eczema, seborrhea and allergic reactions.
People who suffer from parasites, various types of viruses, pathogenic microorganisms and even fungi can appreciate its benefits. It also has excellent anti-cancer properties. Regular consumption of this exotic fruit will support the normal functioning of the heart, blood vessels, reduce cholesterol levels in the blood, reduce the appearance of headaches to a minimum, and also help to overcome insomnia.
Many nutritionists argue that this unique fruit normalizes metabolism, and also helps to burn extra calories. Therefore, mangosteen is often recommended for obese people. In some countries of the world, mangosteen is called “the fruit of the gods” or “the fruit of eternal youth”. Such names he received due to the fact that it has anti-aging properties, and thus significantly increases vitality. Also, mangosteen improves the function of the endocrine glands and normalizes hormonal levels.
The high content of vitamins and beneficial trace elements allow the use of mangosteen in various directions.
- In Asian countries, this fruit is of great importance in traditional medicine. For example, in cases of skin diseases, the fruit is peeled, ground into a cough-like mass, and applied to the affected areas. Hold for 10-15 minutes and wash off with warm water. But the skin should not be thrown away. It is often used as a remedy for dysentery. And this is considered to be quite an effective and safe method.
- Also, the pulp of the fruit is very often used for making tea with healing properties. Especially it helps about diarrhea and stomach disorders,
- As already noted, mangosteen has a beneficial effect on the immune system. Especially well, it manifests itself in viral diseases. After all, a fruit rich in vitamins extremely quickly strengthens the immune system and helps the body to recover and adapt faster,
- For healing the body has long been preparing tinctures on the mangosteen. To do this, one fruit is placed in a jar, poured with a liter of boiling water and left overnight. After that, the resulting tincture is taken on an empty stomach,
- It is also very useful in chronic fatigue and various inflammatory processes.
Mangosteen in cooking
As already noted, fresh mangosteen is most often found in tropical countries. And its shelf life is rather short. In most cases, the fruit is eaten fresh. Like any other fruit, mangosteen has found its place in cooking.
- Juices and smoothies are easily made from it. They are great for people who are overweight, as well as for those who, on the contrary, strive, faster than to pump up muscles,
- Cooking desserts. Mangosteen is perfect for preparing a variety of fillings, fruit salads, pastries and syrups,
- Special mention is worthy of a mangosteen pie and fruit salads with mangosteen.
So with it you can cook a wonderful syrup, as well as it can be preserved and feast on in the winter. But you should pay attention to the fact that it is necessary to sterilize this tropical fruit no more than 10 minutes. After all, if we neglect this condition, then the unique taste of the fruit is completely lost. In Malaysia, mangosteen is made with the addition of cloves. It is considered an excellent remedy for colds.
To fruit retains all the beneficial properties you need to choose it correctly. Quite an interesting fact is that the shelf life of mangosteen is quite small and is not more than two weeks. This time begins to count from when the fruit was torn off. But this is on condition that all storage rules have been observed and the conditions for transportation have been met. Therefore, in our area it is very difficult to find high-quality, fresh tropical fruit.
In most cases, mangosteen is found in frozen form and in the form of various juices. It is worth noting that the cost of one kilogram of this tropical fruit is on average from 0.5 to 5 dollars. This cost is due to the fact that the cultivation of fruit is quite complicated and the conditions for this are also needed appropriate. In addition, the cost includes manual harvesting.
It is worth noting that mangosteen is asexual plant. After all, he has both female and male organs, which means that he is capable of self-fertilization. According to scientists, this is quite a rare phenomenon, which is called parthenogenesis. Nectar is not formed. This means that during the flowering period, mangosteen flowers do not attract any insects or birds. An interesting fact is that mangosteen is found in nature as a hybrid of Garcinia hombroniana and Garcinia malaccensis species.
How to eat mangosteen correctly
How to clean the fruit. Mangosteen should be cleaned carefully and precisely so as not to damage the flesh. Here are some guidelines for clearing mangosteen fruits:
- Remove the top leaflets. Slightly press the top of the fruit, the skin will crack and the pulp will clear. This is effective at the greatest maturity of the fruit.
- If the skin does not burst when lightly pressed, it is more accurate to use the help of a knife.
- Make a surface annular incision, and then open the fruit with your fingers to extract the core.
- When scraping the mangosteen with a very hard skin with a knife, be careful, as there is a big possibility of the knife slipping and getting injured.
Also cut off the upper lobe of the fruit, and the flesh is eaten with a spoon. Fresh fruit is used, it is not subjected to heat treatment, because the aromatic and taste qualities of the product are lost due to it.
Keep it in the fridge. Retention period not more than 7−10 days. The most tasty and useful will be such a fruit that ripened on a tree. Upon delivery of the fruit to us, it is torn off unripe. They eat it fresh, make juices, jams. The fruit is not subjected to freezing, but it canned. Sterilize the fruit for no more than 10 minutes, otherwise it will become bland.
Mangosteen fruit in cosmetology
The healing properties of mangosteen allow it to be used for cosmetic purposes. Extracts of fruit used in the manufacture of shampoos, face creams and other cosmetic products. Recognition has a mangosteen stretch mark cream. It moisturizes and tightens the skin, giving it springiness and flowering appearance.
Mangosteen Economic Use
It is not only the fruits that matter. The utility of the mangosteen is great. In the bark of the tree there is a milky sap - orange latex, it is used in the paint industry. Young shoots of trees are used as chewing sticks. Wood makes souvenirs and joinery. But the most expensive are fruits. They are included in drink "Ksango & raquo, Crumble them into a cocktail in not pure form, directly with the skin.
Mangosteen is an exotic fruit with amazing taste and healthy properties. Due to its composition, the fetus strengthens the body, restores after illness. The systematic use of mangosteen fixes the immune resistance, restores the metabolism and pleases with amazing taste and aroma.