There are a lot of varieties of edible honeysuckle, they are different in terms of ripening, in yield, size and taste of berries, in shape and in height of the bush (from 1 to 2 m). What unites all varieties of edible honeysuckle? All of them are frost-resistant and, unlike most berry crops, they get along well in different regions. For convenience, we have prepared a table with photos and descriptions of popular varieties.
Honeysuckle edible (photos, varieties and their features)
When selecting planting material, keep in mind that one bush will not give a good harvest, group plantings of at least 3 different-sized bushes are necessary. The best pollinators are the varieties Slastena, Fianit and Berel. If there are no recommendations on pollinators in the description of honeysuckle varieties proposed below, you can choose them yourself:
- acquire simultaneously flowering varieties,
- be guided by the ripening period, do not take the bushes, soping simultaneously.
There are a lot of varieties, the choice of a sapling can be a difficult task, and in order not to get lost when buying, it is better to decide in advance on the most attractive options, and we will help you with this! All the necessary information about the varieties of edible honeysuckle, we have combined in the table, where in addition to the description you can see the photos. Also, for the convenience of searching, we have divided varieties by maturity.
Please advise the sweetest honeysuckle varieties - expert answers 7dach.ru
Hello! In the fall of 2014 I bought honeysuckle with strawberry flavor. After how many berries will appear, how fast does the bush grow?
I have a honeysuckle bush, she is 2 years old. This year has blossomed, berries have started. But for some reason the growth did not go. Tell me, maybe she lacks something?
Flower buds Honeysuckle edible is a collective term that includes several sine-fruit species of the genus Honeysuckle: Kamchatka, edible, Turchaninova, Regel, Altai. By the 90s of the past century in the gardens with amateurs can be.
A question from our subscriber Irina: Why is edible honeysuckle dying for the second year? Young shoots are there, and old branches with berries dry up.
I wanted to plant honeysuckle on my plot for a long time. First bought a decorative. Then an acquaintance shared a Tatar process with me. But these are all ornamental plants, and I dreamed of fruit honeysuckle. It's so great to pamper yourself and yours.
Question from our subscriber Dmitry: Honeysuckle is sick. Tell me, please, what is the matter with her? What can be done?
See all materials about edible honeysuckle: See all
The best varieties of honeysuckle
Honeysuckle is a garden plant that tolerates Russian frosts perfectly. In winter, the plant can tolerate temperatures up to minus 47 degrees Celsius. And the best varieties of honeysuckle live up to 80 years and actively bear fruit throughout their life. Honeysuckle is also considered the earliest ripening berry in the climatic zone of Russia. Varieties differ among themselves a variety of taste, ranging from sweet and sour, ending with a sugary-sweet taste with bitterness.
Gzhelka. This variety is one of the best varieties of plant honeysuckle. Its ripening period is late, but the plant tolerates spring frosts perfectly, which ensures a bountiful harvest, regardless of the weather conditions of a particular year. With a single seedling bushes grow about two meters. But even with small stature have a high level of fertility. The fruits have a moderately sweet taste. They also have some astringency. Each bush can bear fruit, but 2.5-3 kilograms of berries. At the same time, the bushes themselves are very beautiful, due to which they are often planted for decorative purposes. Due to this, this variety is considered versatile and the most popular.
Cinderella. The peculiarity of this variety is ripening. And the best type of honeysuckle is because it begins to bear fruit in the second year after planting. Bushes are small, rarely grow above one meter. However, the yield is quite high. One bush of this variety gives from 2 to 3 kilograms of berries per year. Fruits have a bright blue color. The peel is thin, and the aroma is strongly strawberry. At the same time, the taste is much better than in other species. Fruits are sweet with a slight sour taste. This type of honeysuckle grows exclusively in the harsh conditions of the Russian climate. Warm and mild climate does not allow him to bear fruit sufficiently.
Moraine. This plant is originally from Pavlovsk. It was at the breeding station of this area that the first seedlings were bred. In different regions, ripen at different times, but the delay is not more than a couple of weeks. The fruits are very long stored on the branches and do not fall from the wind, so that it is recognized as one of the best varieties of honeysuckle. The plant grows just over one meter tall. Fruits a little, only up to 2 kilograms per year. However, the fruits are quite large, grow up to 3 centimeters in length, which is not the case with the berries of other species of this plant. However, the fruits have a sweet taste, with a slight tart flavor. Bitterness in the fruit is not.
Blue bird. This species was bred by breeding Kamchatka relatives with other plants by employees of the research center in Siberia. Due to the complex selection of shrubs turned out to be stable not only to the terrible frost, but also to various types of fungal diseases. And the best grade of honeysuckle is because it does not require undue attention. In order for the plant to begin to bear fruit, it takes three years. The bushes grow to 1.5 meters and are spherical in shape, making it planted for decorative purposes. The yield is 1.5-2 kilograms per year. Fruits are soft without sour taste.
Amphora. This variety was also bred by breeding the Kamchatka species of honeysuckle and is intended for cultivation in cold regions. Because of this, bushes rarely grow to a height of 1.5 meters. However, the yield is quite low - rarely any bush gives more than one kilogram of berries. But the fruits are large. The size of the largest fruit can reach 2.5 centimeters. The shape of the fruit resembles water lilies, so that this type of honeysuckle was named Amphora. Best suited for canning and harvesting.
Altair. This is an early ripe honeysuckle variety. Bred staff Pavlovsky breeding center. The variety has been bred resistant to various diseases, due to which it does not require special care. It is because of this quality is considered one of the best varieties of honeysuckle for the Russian climate. Shrubs plants grow to 1.5 meters and they give fruit to 2.5 kilograms per year. Berries are soft, juicy and sweet taste. However, there is some tartness. The size of the berries is average. They are covered with a strong patina.
Dolphin. This type of honeysuckle is considered one of the best thanks to double flowering. This happens in spring and autumn. The ripening period is medium. However, the shrub does not tolerate frosts, so it is intended for cultivation in the eastern and south-eastern regions of the country. Growth bushes is 1.5 meters. The plant grows spherical shape, and the twigs are bent straight to the ground. The cylindrical shaped berries grow quite large. The variety is considered the most productive and bears an average of 3 kilograms per year. The taste of berries is sweet and sour, with a slight bitter taste.
George Bugnet. This foreign variety of honeysuckle is considered one of the best due to the persistence of the fruit. Breeding was carried out in Canada, so the bushes are quite resistant to frost. Berries ripen between the first and last months of summer. All this period, the berries do not fall off and remain on the branches, so that the plant can be planted in ornamental targets in the country. The taste of the fruit does not have special qualities, but does not have a tart shade, which is characteristic of most species of this plant.
Amur. This variety was also first grown in Germany. However, today it is widely planted by summer residents and gardeners throughout Russia. Bush plants rarely grows above 1.5 meters. The fruits have an elongated shape, stored on the branches for a long time. But one of the best varieties of honeysuckle Amur is due to taste. Sweet amazing taste of berries is absolutely devoid of bitterness. Because of this, both adults and children eat it with love.
Enchantress. This variety is recognized by Russian gardeners as the best among other types of honeysuckle. The shrub grows not high, but fruits a lot. The yield is at least two kilograms from each bush per year. The sorceress is very resistant to temperature changes, well resistant to various fungi and diseases. But the main feature is the taste of berries. Their taste is sweet, dessert. Because of this, great for sale. In addition, the taste is devoid of bitterness, which also distinguishes this plant from other species.
In general, the plant honeysuckle is considered the most resistant and does not require care in relation to other types of shrubs that give berries. The branches of this shrub are not necessarily cut, they naturally grow smoothly and symmetrically, so they are used to create a beautiful view in the garden.
Honeysuckle - varieties for Siberia and features of growing
Honeysuckle varieties for Siberia must be frost-resistant, well tolerating sudden changes in temperature, especially during budding. Breeders deduced a large number of hybrids that differ in terms of flowering and fruiting, size, shape and taste of berries. When using special agrotechnical methods in regions with harsh climatic conditions, it is possible to successfully grow honeysuckle with a sweet, sour-sweet or tart-sweet taste of large juicy fruits. Many gardeners planted shrubs and because of its high ornamental. Any honeysuckle variety will become a worthy adornment of the local territory, will attract beneficial insects of pollinators - bees and bumblebees.
In the harsh climate of Siberia, you can successfully grow honeysuckle, collecting a rich harvest of juicy and delicious berries
All about varieties for harsh climate
The best varieties of honeysuckle for Siberia are bred by local breeders of the Bakcharskoe seed-growing enterprise and the Horticultural Research Institute in Barnaul by crossing the Kamchatka and Altai maternal specimens. For the fruits of wild shrubs characteristic peculiar bitterness, which disappears only after heat treatment. Modern frost-resistant honeysuckle varieties do not have this drawback. With the help of cross-pollination, the breeders managed to get hybrids, in which at different periods of the growing season juicy sweet berries are formed with a slight sourness. They are used by gardeners to prepare fruit drinks, compotes, jam, jam, homemade wine.
The highest frost resistance and early fruiting is the Viola variety, which is intended for cultivation in the most severe climatic conditions and winters well at temperatures up to -45 ° C. A tall shrub blooms in mid-spring, and at the beginning of summer large berries with a sweet-sour taste are formed on it, with a slight bitterness. The early maturing varieties of honeysuckle also include:
- Wiliga The plant easily tolerates severe frosts, it is not demanding to care and growing conditions. Fruits in June, gardeners from a single bush collect several kilograms of blue, elongated-cylindrical sweet-sour berries, after consumption of which a tart aftertaste remains,
- Cinderella. The variety is very popular, since in the second year after planting a large number of berries form on the shrub. The fruits of Cinderella are medium-sized, pale blue, sweet and sour. A characteristic feature of juicy berries becomes a delicate strawberry flavor.
The variety Blue Bird is suitable for cultivation not only in Siberia, but also in the middle latitudes of the country. In the middle of summer berries are formed on honeysuckle slightly elongated shape, blue-blue. The shrub does not require special growing conditions, it is not subject to attacks by garden pests and mold fungi. The pronounced sweet taste of the fruit gives a high concentration of simple sugars in their chemical composition.
The fragrant fruits of frost-resistant bluebird honeysuckle appear on the branches in late spring or early summer
For the cultivation of honeysuckle in Siberia suitable mid-season variety Amphora. Gardeners collect from a tall sprawling shrub a rich harvest of large, pitcher-shaped berries. The taste of the fruit is sweet and sour, it also has a characteristic bitterness that disappears during heat treatment. The high content of organic acids in fruits determines:
- long shelf life of home-made preparations - compotes, jams, berry platter,
- possibility of transportation over long distances.
Important: In order for many fruits to form annually on the honeysuckle honeysuckle, pollinating plants from the family Honeysuckle are planted in the garden, for example, Morena and Altair.
The mid-season variety Kamchadalka differs most frost-resistant, it easily transfers the lowest temperatures, but not their sharp drops. Honeysuckle has very large fruits of elongated shape and sour-sweet taste. The undoubted advantage of Kamchadalka is its high decoration, used by gardeners to beautify the local area.
For the tick variety, it is characterized by later fruiting, which is successfully compensated by a rich harvest from one bush. Honeysuckle oval, large, juicy berries pale blue color. The shrub easily tolerates sudden temperature drops, a short length of daylight, a long absence of watering. The berries of the checkmark variety can be stored without processing for several days, which is convenient for transportation over long distances.
Not only in Siberia, but the Pride Bakchar variety is popular with all gardeners in the country. Tall sprawling shrub has many positive qualities:
- frost resistant
- resistant to diseases and pests
- it is not exacting to soil and frequency of watering.
Large spindle-shaped berries have a rich purple color. Long shelf life provides a dense wax coating. Berries are sweet and sour with a characteristic exquisite bitterness.
Large, juicy berries of soft blue honeysuckle coloring. A tick is used to make fragrant preserves, marmalades, compotes.
Abundant fruiting and good frost resistance is characterized by the Magus variety. A tall shrub in the middle of spring forms a dense oval crown, and at the end of summer or early autumn there are many oval-shaped ones with a pointed top. Berries are sweet with a delicate strawberry note, suitable for both fresh use and thermal processing. For the variety Magus is characterized by weak shedding, which is very convenient when collecting fruits. Also suitable for cultivation in Siberia are the following sweet varieties of honeysuckle:
- Laura. Every year, gardeners harvest about 2-2.5 kg of sweet, fragrant, medium-sized berries from a bush. Before planting a shrub, it should be borne in mind that after ripening the fruits fall off quite quickly,
- Nymph. At the end of summer large berries of unusual oblong-elliptical shape, slightly curved, are formed on the middle-grown honeysuckle. They have a pleasant sweet taste, tart notes which gives the presence of a dense, easily removed skin,
- Bakcharsky anniversary. A worthy representative of the Siberian collection, characterized by high frost resistance. A medium sprawling, sparse shrub bears fruits in the middle of summer with large, elongated oval-shaped berries with a dessert taste and a pleasant smell.
Variety Sorceress easily withstand sudden changes in temperature even during flowering. Srednerosly shrub is not subject to attacks of garden pests, not picky about the growing conditions and quality of care. Honeysuckle has large, elongated-oval-shaped berries of a rich dark gray color with a sweet taste and delicate aroma.
Features of cultivation in Siberia
Experienced gardeners recommend choosing for planting in regions with a harsh climate three-year seedlings with an open root system. The best time to plant them is the end of spring or the beginning of summer. Planting will be effective only in cool rainy weather and abundant subsequent watering. The berries on the shrub can be formed as early as next year, and some varieties bear fruit in the same year. You should choose seedlings with large, but not long roots, dense skin and no dark spots on the shoots.
Recommendation: One-year-old seedlings should be planted in the fall, about 3-4 weeks before the onset of a steady cold snap. After planting, the soil under the plant should be compacted and thrashed with straw or sawdust.
For planting cold-resistant Siberian honeysuckle varieties, it is necessary to prepare a deep and wide hole.
Яма для посадки сибирских сортов жимолости должна быть около метра в глубину, так как в течение лета она проседает и ее заполняет воздухопроницаемый компост. Грунт содержит все необходимые питательные и биологически активные вещества для быстрого роста и формирования молодых кустарников. При посадке в регионах с суровым климатом следует применять такие агротехнические приемы:
- на дно лунки укладывать грубую гальку или булыжник для дренажа,
- при размещении в ямке почва должна окучивать нижние побеги жимолости,
- during planting it is impossible to make any mineral or organic fertilizers.
The first feeding is carried out only a year after planting. Excessive fertilization will lead to an increase in the green hardwood mass and a complete or partial lack of flowering and fruiting.
It depends on the shrub variety when to collect honeysuckle in Siberia. Early hybrids begin to bear fruit at the beginning of summer, and late ripening - at the end of summer or in September. Yields are influenced by the quality of care, which in regions with a harsh climate is no different from this process in the southern regions of the country:
- regular weeding and loosening to ensure the root system with fresh air,
- the introduction of moisture at the root only after partial drying of the earthy coma,
- periodic removal of dried twigs, darkened leaves and flowers, pruning excessively lengthened shoots,
- the introduction of nitrogen fertilizers in the spring, and phosphate and potash supplements during the budding and one month before the cold snap.
Despite the resistance of the Siberian honeysuckle varieties to fungal infections, darkening of leaves and shoots is possible during overflow. Such parts of the plant must be removed and the shrub treated with any fungicidal agent.
Note: Honeysuckle fruits of Siberian varieties accumulate a huge amount of nutrients and biologically active substances - flavonoids, organic acids, vitamins and microelements. Eating fresh fruit helps to get rid of avitaminosis, respiratory diseases, remove cholesterol blocks from blood vessels.
About the benefits of garden honeysuckle
Honeysuckle variety "Morena"
. Much better shrub propagated by cutting, for which young shoots are suitable. As soon as the first fruits begin to ripen, cut the cuttings from the shrub you like. Twigs for rooting should not have a greater length - at least 2-3 buds are enough. Rooting cuttings occurs in greenhouse conditions or in a standard pot for indoor flowers.
Fertilizing on a nitrogen basis is carried out at the time when the snow melts in the spring, that is, at the very beginning of the growing season. To do this, use a tablespoon of urea diluted in a bucket of water. The resulting composition is watered honeysuckle bushes. However, even without this, the plant will bear fruit normally, although in a smaller volume. With quality care, you can get a harvest of up to 6 kg from a single shrub.
To later varieties include
- Due to the ability to grow even in conditions of high air pollution, the Tatar honeysuckle is used as a form for planting streets, parks and squares.
- The popularity of shrubs increases from year to year. That is why, having received its beginnings 40 years ago, selection work is being conducted very actively in our days. Today there are many varieties and forms that honeysuckle can have. The best plant varieties are offered by many nurseries and research institutes, therefore, it is easy to acquire a specimen of interest to you.
Yield per bush (kg)
What do we associate with the word “berry”? These are round, red, yellow, less often green, taste sweet or sour-sweet small fruits. The first to come to mind are raspberries, gooseberries, strawberries. But, even in our gardens, you can grow berries that do not correspond to such an idea at all - honeysuckle, a berry that has an irregularly elongated shape, a bright blue color and a very unusual, complex and refined taste.
Good day! I ordered in the IM "Garden World" on the recommendation of the marriage. The bush of “Bakcharsky giant” came in its integrity and safety. All other plants have also taken root.
How to grow garden honeysuckle?
- For rooting the cuttings of edible honeysuckle in greenhouse conditions prepare an earth composition of equal proportions:
- It should be noted that edible honeysuckle bushes grow at a rather slow pace and
- The plant is found in natural conditions, forming dense thickets. In some regions of the country, shrubs grow in the undergrowth of deciduous forests.
All existing varieties of culture can be divided into groups for various reasons. Given the time of ripening of the harvest of berries, early-ripening, mid-ripening and late-ripening species can be identified.
Very tasty berries, ripen early.
The weight of the 1st berries in grams
The best varieties of edible honeysuckle domestic selection
Many gardeners are interested in which varieties of edible honeysuckle are most suitable for growing in our conditions. Below we will provide descriptions of the most interesting varieties of domestic and foreign breeding, which can be bought in garden centers and nurseries, as well as what care they need to provide in the garden.
Elena! Many thanks for the interesting and useful information. Tell me, if possible, how to purchase honeysuckle seedlings (I am also from Krasnoyarsk). All the best to you and good luck! Regards Tatyana.
Literally broke into Russian gardens! Even 20 years ago, no one even thought about this berry as a garden plant. After all, honeysuckle is a forest dweller.
It is necessary to take into account the size and shape of the honeysuckle bush in order to choose the right place to grow on the site. The maximum size of the bush usually reaches after 6 - 10 years of growth.
Berries are sweet and sour, without bitterness, early.
Fruits can be eaten not only fresh - they are perfectly stored frozen, they can be dried, used for making compotes, juice, jam, jam and jam. Of these berries even make excellent taste wine.
The first years seemed to grow, new leaves appeared, but now they began to curl ... on one, the leaves first turned yellow, then turned completely brown and twisted ... shorter dried out ... The rest are slightly better, but they also see that they are not good. Go
Honeysuckle variety "Altair"
What does she do in our suburban areas?
Consisting of a shepherd, miner, Persian moth, sawfly and honeysuckle bugs. These insects gnaw through holes in the foliage of different diameters, and also fold them into a tube.
Cubic (50 x 50 x 50 cm), at a distance of not less than 1 m from neighboring bushes, in the case of short plants and 2-2.5 m for tall honeysuckle.
A certain variety must be chosen and taking into account the region where the crop will be cultivated. For example, the varieties of honeysuckle for the Moscow region are different from those that will grow well in the northern regions of the country.
What determines the choice of varieties of shrubs
Edible honeysuckle - unpretentious and durable plant. Lives and actively fruiting up to 60-80 years. The bush is very frost-resistant - it is not damaged even at temperatures up to -45 C.
When planting, he added fertilizer Ogorodnik based on chicken manure - it seemed to be on the packaging that was used for planting. Go
• It gives us a wonderful harvest of extremely tasty, vitamin berries.Little wingAdd to each well.
- its sprouts and the main stem can tolerate negative temperatures up to -50 ° C, and the root system and fruitful buds easily tolerate 40 degree frost. Speaking of buds, flowers and young ovaries, they will cope with frosts no more than -8 ° C. Honeysuckle is a sun-loving plant and prefers a clayey soil with neutral acidity, generously fed with organic fertilizers. The shrub grows well both in the shade and in the sunny area, however, in the first case, fruiting falls. Since, as mentioned earlier, the plant requires cross-pollination, it should be planted in groups of at least 3 bushes, preferably of different varieties.
Varieties for the Ural region
The most resistant variety to diseases and pests. Frost resistance up to - 48 C. Berries are sweet and sour, with bitterness.
Fruiting bushes begins with three years of age, care is simple, and the average yield is 1-3 kg per bush. Although some varieties, for example, Amur of German selection under good conditions, gives up to 5 kg of rather large berries, without bitterness.
When it was hot - we watered, although this summer is very rainy and there was no special way to take care of it. Go
- variety of honeysuckle early maturation of the famous Pavlovsk selection. But in the weather conditions of Moscow and the Moscow Region, the fruits ripen a week later than other varieties of honeysuckle. "Altair" comes from the Kamchatka population of wild honeysuckle, so it is very unpretentious in the care and rarely gets sick. The shrub has a dense squat spherical crown and reaches a height of 1.5 meters. Berries of medium size, have a pronounced wax coating. Altair is one of the most delicious honeysuckle species, the fruits are juicy, soft, very sweet, with characteristic tartness. Productivity - up to 2.5 kg of berries from the bush.
• Perfectly decorates landscape design with its person.
- pest that damages the fruit of the shrub. About her attack can be understood by shriveled fallen fruits.
2 compost buckets
In hot and dry spring-summer days, honeysuckle
One of these varieties is Bakcharsky giant. Honeysuckle has a high degree of yield. The fruits have the shape of an elongated cylinder, the average size of which reaches 4 cm, and the weight - two grams. Dense skin allows you to keep berries fresh for a long time. For the same reason, it is allowed to transport the crop and to avoid damage to the berries. Many liked the variety for a pleasant sweet and sour taste of the fruit. The index of their fallability after maturation is average. Powerful shrub up to 1.9 meters has an oval-shaped crown with sparse branches. Bakcharskiy giant variety
Honeysuckle edible - features of growing
The only drawback of this type of berries is that they ripen almost simultaneously and immediately crumble. And their skin is very delicate and bursts even at the touch of a hand, so when you hit the ground, most of the berries are damaged. For this reason, edible honeysuckle berries are not grown on an industrial scale, and breeders do not really like it. Almost all known varieties were bred by I.V. Michurin, who generally considered honeysuckle the No. 1 berry, or amateur enthusiasts.What could be the problem?Honeysuckle variety "Dolphin"
• Serves as an excellent remedy for all kinds of ailments.
Main features of edible honeysuckle
Also honeysuckle prone, A kilogram of wood ash and 50 grams of superphosphate. If the soil is sandy, the amount of compost is increased by a bucket and a potassium-based fertilizer is added.Must be watered
-2One of the best large-fruited varieties of medium ripening, dessert berries.
Choosing the right honeysuckle variety
- By the way, in order to keep the berries intact during ripening, it is recommended to hang a thin net under the bush (you can use gauze) and periodically shake off the branches - ripe berries crumble. Or it is necessary to collect them by hand and put in a container, only 2-3 layers maximum.(Yes, two-year-olds feel like nothing ... for now)"Dolphin"
- • Significantly expands the diet.Fungal diseasesThe wells are poured with heated water, which is poured over a hole in order to warm the entire surface of the soil.
- , As the plant loves moisture. Therefore, the shrub loves the regions where there is constantly high humidity, while not suffering the stagnation of water or groundwater flowing in close proximity to the root system. Under these conditions, the root of the plant begins to rot. In the sour soil, the shrub also does not feel comfortable - the leaves turn pale, and the berries crumble. It is better to use organics for plant nutrition, since honeysuckle is a negative mineral fertilizer.Honeysuckle, which is recommended for cultivation in different regions of Russia. The plant belongs to the group of self-infertile forms. The Nymph, Gidzyuk, Amphora, Pavlovskaya, Azure varieties are pollinators for the Bakchar giant.
- 1.1Lapis lazuli1,2
- It is best to plant bushes in the second half of August or in early autumn. Spring planting delayed the start of fruiting for another year, no matter what care. Plant at the same time should be several copies and preferably different varieties. This is because this plant is cross-pollinated. If you plant only 1 bush, then the harvest can not wait. The best mutters - such pairs of domestic varieties:Hello, maybe tell me, I have a plant, they also say honeysuckle, the greenery is the same and it blooms also, only the fruits are red and as if on a sheet there are several berries at once, maybe it is a decorative honeysuckle? Thank you. With respect, Natalia.- representative of the seaside honeysuckle population. Medium ripening. More suitable for cultivation in the eastern regions of Russia. The shrub blooms twice a season - in spring and autumn, therefore its winter hardiness is reduced. Bush up to 1.5 meters has a rounded densely growing crown. Shoots drooping, with wide concave leaves. The berries are large, cylindrical. The top of the berries in shape resembles a dolphin smile (hence the name). The surface of the fruit is slightly nodular, the skin is rather thick. The berries are not large, but grow abundantly and very tasty. The yield is high - up to 3 kg of fruit from the bush.
Planting honeysuckle bushes
Today's "cultivated" honeysuckle is the pride of Russian breeders. She took a worthy place in our gardens and at our table.
, Which are manifested by the formation of various stains on both the foliage and the shoots.In the central part of the hole there is a small hill settled out of the ground. The seedling gently fits into the hole and straightens the root system so that it is evenly distributed along the edge of the knoll. If damaged or dried roots are found, they must be disposed of.Given the peculiarities of our climatic latitudes, due to the short but hot summer, there are many varieties of honeysuckle, recommended by nurseries for reproduction in the future. However, I especially want to focus on the following types of shrubs:
- The best Tomsk varieties include the Pride of Bakchar, Silginka, Parabelskaya and many others.Very good taste and berries are not showered for a long time. Maturation - the beginning of August.Up to 2.5
- Late variety, berries with bitterness, an excellent variety for the preparation of blanks.Vasyuganskaya - Tomichka,Natalia, such berries? Go
- Honeysuckle variety "Leningrad Giant"
- So, the most delicious and popular varieties of honeysuckle
- When the shrub gets sickThen the hole is composted in a small amount and watered toEarly varieties include
- Widely known forms of plants, bred for cultivation in the Moscow region and Central Russia.
- Foreign varieties of edible honeysuckle, available to gardeners in our country - these are real selection masterpieces. Of these, it should be noted such as George Bugnet, Marie Bugnet (Canada) - these are truly unique hybrids: the berries ripen not at the same time, but from June to August and are not showered for several weeks. The German variety Amur and Blue-Gray (USA) is distinguished by its long berries with great taste, completely without bitterness.
2-2,2AltairPavlovskaya - Tomichka,
Care and feeding of honeysuckle shrubs
This is honeysuckle capricole, inedible decorative creeper :) Last edited on September 10, 2015, 13:15"Leningrad Giant"Wilig honeysuckle variety
Soil stuck to the root systemMorenaThe variety Kingfisher with medium early ripening appeared in the breeding farms of the Moscow region. A powerful bush, having an oval-shaped crown, can reach 2.1 m in height. A distinctive feature of the variety is its high degree of yield. The dense skin of the berries allows them to be stored after harvest. The fruits have an unusual round-oval shape with a blunt tip. Their size reaches 1.6 cm, with a mass of 1.1 g. The berries taste extremely pleasant - they are sweet with a slight sourness.
Honeysuckle ordinary - the main diseases and pests
It is customary to grow at least one honeysuckle bush in the gardening places. And the true admirers of this culture know that there are different varieties, different taste. In addition, gardeners know that plants belonging to different varieties can affect each other's yields. It is therefore not surprising that in their garden can grow several copies of this wonderful shrub.
- Very large tasty berry, ripening - JulyAbout 1
- Blue Spindle - Blue Bird,Thank you!Grown in Pavlovsk laboratory VIR and is one of the most high-yielding varieties of honeysuckle. Shrub strong-growing, more than 1.5 meters high. Begins to bear fruit from the 3rd decade of June to the 4th decade of July, fruit ripening is uneven, shedding is weak. The berries are located on the branches in large clusters, they are very easy to collect, they are not sweet enough, but are ideal for medicinal purposes and homemade preparations. Лучшими соседями-опылителями для «Ленинградского Великана» являются «Синяя Птица», «Гжелка», «Голубое веретено». Урожайность этого сорта жимолости – до 3-х кг ягоды с куста.
- Река, то это можно понять по пёстрой окраске листков.
- . Далее, ямка засыпается до краёв почвой и снова поливается. Из-за того, что корень жимолости довольно компактный , полив целесообразно проводить непосредственно под него.. Это среднего роста растение с округлой формой кроны и достаточно крупными плодами. С одного кустарника за период плодоношения собирают до 2 кг ягод кисло-сладкого вкуса с тонким приятным ароматом.For cultivation in the suburbs are suitable such varieties of honeysuckle, as Kuminovka, Moskovskaya-23 and many others.
- Many varieties of honeysuckle unpretentious, cold-resistant. The plant does not require painstaking care. It mainly consists in pruning drying branches, loosening the soil under and around the bush, removing weeds and feeding. Honeysuckle shrubs respond positively to abundant watering, and drought is poorly tolerated. Loosening the soil should be carried out not to great depths, since the roots of the plant are located close to the surface.Malvina1
Chelyabinka - Long-fruited.Yes, yes, it was she who really liked the birds!Honeysuckle variety "Kamchadalka"
Honeysuckle breeding methods
ViligaFor effective pest control, experienced gardeners advise the use of purchased products that are sprayed with shoots in the fall as a preventive measure. In the summer, however, the drugs are used to directly fight insects, but only after the edible honeysuckle ceases to bear fruit. For the prevention of fungal diseases, useImmediately after planting the shrub soil is mulched, which will prevent the evaporation of moisture. For this purpose, an ordinary newspaper, laid out in several layers, sawdust or any other material at hand, which can cover the ground without preventing him from breathing, is quite suitable.
To mid-season varieties includeHoneysuckle varieties for the Urals should differ primarily in high frost resistance. Severe winters with sharp temperature drops should not adversely affect the growth and development of the plant.The beginning of flowering dates back to about mid-May - this depends largely on the weather and the region where the crop is grown. In the spring the bush is covered with fragrant flowers. They attract a large number of insects, mainly bees, bumblebees, flies. It is thanks to their visits that the bush is pollinated. It must be remembered that there are also self-fruitful varieties of honeysuckle, for pollination of which the presence of a plant of another variety on the site is necessary. Flowers are able to tolerate a decrease in air temperature to minus 5 - 7 degrees.
1,5The average term of ripening, the berries are bright blue with a strong waxy coating and a very fresh taste without bitterness.The ideal place for planting bushes is an open, sunny place, and the soil must be improved to a high level of fertility and water holding capacity. The easiest way to do this is by adding peat to the landing pit, and large amounts of leaf humus. The bottom of the pit can be laid on 20-30 cm dry grass and garden waste.
For the second year I have been planting seedlings, including honeysuckle, in the nursery Gardens of the Ural Miroleev. Through the search is easy to find. Seedlings come in excellent condition in spring and autumn. Prices are very affordable.KamchadalkaThat in the Magadan region, gave the name to this wonderful variety of honeysuckle. “Viliga” is cultivated by Moscow breeders for cultivation in the Siberian regions and withstands temperatures up to 50 degrees, unpretentious and poorly showered. The height of the bush reaches 2 meters with uncompressed landing. The berries contain organic acids and are very rich in vitamins C, P, PP, A. “Vilinga” has elongated-cylindrical fruits up to 3 cm long, refreshing and surprisingly tasty, with characteristic tartness. Productivity - up to 2.5 kg of fruits from the bush.
Diana Serzhevna, St. Petersburg -Vyborg
Yes, honeysuckle seedlings can be grown from seeds, only the varietal qualities will most likely be different from the parent ones. Seeds must be sown either immediately, in June, or in January. Until January, I store the seeds in a damp cloth, which I put in a plastic bag and in a refrigerator, on the upper shelf of the door. In January, I sow in the soil (humus + sand, you can add peat). The seeds are laid out on the surface, lightly sprinkled, sprayed with a spray bottle, placed in a transparent plastic bag and put on a window where there is no direct sunlight. Seeds begin to germinate in about a month, some in 2 months. When the first few shoots appear, I take off the cellophane and transfer it to a more lighted place. I also water from a spray bottle as the soil dries out. In May I land in a “nursery”, i.e. in a small garden, which I have located under a tree, which is also richly filled with sand and sawdust, without weeds. Flower beds on the north side of the tree, where the shadow. There the saplings grow until autumn, from the beginning to the end of October I plant them in a permanent place. If you need information on the summer planting of seeds, write, tell you in detail.
Thanks for the stuff!
Honeysuckle variety "Cinderella"
, But it is possible to do this only if there is an adult overgrown bush, which, during hilling, gives adventitious roots. The plant is dug out either early in spring or late autumn and divided into several separate bushes, each of which will quickly take root after transplanting.
Honeysuckle, the cultivation and care of which in the future will consist in timely cutting of dry, broken and growing in the direction of the crown of the branches - the plant is not whimsical. The optimal time for pruning is
What is a plant and how it is used in landscape design
Honeysuckle plant is in demand among gardeners and is effective in landscape design. This is due to the fact that the greens are erect shrubs or creeping branches. They can grow berries of red or bluish shade, and the tone of the flowers differs depending on the plant variety. At the same time there are edible and inedible species that should be considered when choosing a honeysuckle for the garden.
Honeysuckle with bright flowers decorates the fence and garden
The bright greens of climbing and other plant species are complemented by pink, yellowish, white, or blue flowers arranged in pairs. The corolla has an irregular shape and is divided into five lobes. Thus, the shrub buds look magnificent and are a noticeable detail on the site.
Curly varieties are in demand for landscape design, but they require a support about 2 m high. If the part is larger, the branches will not climb higher and their length can reach 5-6 m. At the same time, they easily twist everything around and therefore such varieties are optimal for decoration arbors, canopies, but best of all grow in a warm climate.
A hedge with curly honeysuckle looks unusual and beautiful
For central Russia, shrub plants that are resistant to cold are often chosen. The height of such varieties does not exceed 2.5 m, and they bloom in May. Greens of bright color and a variety of shades of buds make the bushes a spectacular decoration of the garden. Such plant variants are best planted in a sunny area.
Honeysuckle bushes take up a lot of space and for them it is worth allocating enough space
All types of honeysuckle bloom beautiful and lush buds. When selecting, consider the purpose of the site where the bush will grow. For example, options for the playground with edible berries are safe. Distant parts of the garden should be arranged varieties with bright flowers, but inedible fruits. Thus, the selection of plants is carried out not only from an aesthetic point of view, but also taking into account the purpose of the site, safety and comfort.
Honeysuckle can grow up to 5 m in height and is a common plant when developing a landscape design garden or plot. This is due to the beautiful clusters of inflorescences, curly or bushy form, bright greens and the ability to control the growth of bushes and branches.
For the design of the site are optimal decorative options for honeysuckle. The curly ones are especially effective, but the bushes also look magnificent. In any case, all options for decoration are characterized by the following features:
- abundant bloom in spring and summer
- pronounced pleasant aroma of flowers
- the possibility of making any form by cutting branches,
- fruits of unusual blue color
- good plasticity of the plant
- simple care.
Greens grown for decorative purposes need regular pruning, which allows you to control the growth, shape and direction of the branches. Thanks to this, perennial curly or shrub honeysuckle will beautifully complement the design of the site.
Ornamental plants help to arrange arches, arbors, sheds in the garden
Honeysuckle with edible fruits is a good combination of the beauty of the plant and the benefits of berries. This option is appropriate in any garden, because bright flowers will decorate the site, and at the end of the summer they will collect tasty fruits. It is necessary to place the bushes so that it was convenient to reach the branches to pick berries. For example, plants can be planted near the gazebo or next to other fruiting bushes.
Properties and features of growing this plant are expressed in the following:
- the beginning of flowering occurs in late May or the first half of June,
- blue berries are rich in vitamins, but they can not be consumed too much,
- the crown has a spherical shape, and the height of a plant can range from 2–2.5 m,
- for growing requires a sunny place in the garden,
- planting is carried out in early autumn, and honeysuckle grows in different climatic conditions.
The presence of honeysuckle on the site with edible fruits is optimal if there are children. Useful fruits have an oval irregular shape and a bluish or almost black color. It is important to remember that red and orange berries are dangerous and poisonous, they can not be taken in food. This feature is important when choosing a variety of any fruitful honeysuckle.
The blue fruits of honeysuckle are edible and healthy.
The choice of one or another option is based on many factors, but if the priority is the design of the site, then it is important to consider the location of the plant. At the same time, optimal conditions should be ensured in which the greens will actively grow, and the buds will be as bright and fragrant as possible.
The best varieties of edible honeysuckle with photos and descriptions
If the site is planned planting and growing plants with edible fruits, then you should know the features of the most common species. This will allow you to choose the ideal option, taking into account the decorative and useful qualities.
The gardeners demand the following varieties of honeysuckle, the fruits of which can be eaten:
- The Vasyuganskaya plant species is a tall and strong shrub resistant to light or strong frosts that occur during spring flowering. The berries of dark blue color have a sweet-sour taste, and in the process of ripening they fall off only in a small amount. Up to 5 kg of fruit can be harvested from a single tree.
Fruits of Vasyugan honeysuckle have a weight of about 1 gr.
Berries with a pleasant taste make honeycombs Cinderella in demand
The irregular shape of the nymph variety distinguishes this kind of honeysuckle.
Honeysuckle Kamchadalka is characterized by simple care when growing
The blue berries of Amphora have a sour taste.
Large berries differ juicy pulp
High fructification characterizes sweets
Blue berries resistant to pests
Juicy berries have a pleasant aroma and are rich in vitamins.
Bushy varieties of honeysuckle are a common option for decoration and obtaining a tasty harvest. Shrubs are quite compact, but look spectacular on the site. However, they do not require special care.
Popular types of decorative honeysuckle
Ornaments in the garden can serve plants of the winding type, which also have sweet fruits. Shrub varieties with orange or red inedible fruits are popular in landscape design. Among those or other species there are several popular varieties.
Characteristics of decorative options for honeysuckle:
- Decorative varieties include the Blue Bird variety, which is characterized by bright greens, miniature sizes, up to 1 m high, and unpretentious care. Obtaining fruits is possible only if there are several shrubs of self-pollinated varieties of honeysuckle. Therefore, Blue Bird can be used as a decoration for a plot, if necessary.
Growing honeysuckle is possible without fruit
Morena bushes can be used as a garden decoration or for berries
Oval blue berries effectively decorate the bushes
Fruits fall off quickly when ripe
Large berries are juicy and have a rich color
Caprifol is convenient for decorating arbors
All decorative options have an elegant bush shape or are characterized by beautiful weaving around supports. Lanceolate green leaves contrast with bright fruits and make honeysuckle a good garden decoration.
Reviews of the most popular varieties
I have 2 varieties of “Blue Spindle” and “Cinderella”, they are already 19 years old, and I planted a third grade between them 2 years ago, but I forgot the name. Since there were no berries that year, because the honeysuckle bloomed in January, this is a big harvest of berries. I like fresh berries, especially for a small bitterness, I make jam that looks like blueberry.
I breed my honeysuckle by cutting. And in large quantities, because on my varieties in the city and the area I have a turn. The survival rate of cuttings is 95%. Berel with a light bitter zesty. Kamchadalka and Gerda are sweet. This is all that is in my collection from the presented list. I also have Cinderella (the sweetest), Teterevskaya, Chernichka, Roxana, Bee, Fire Opal, Azure, Turchaninova, Filippovskaya, Blue Spindle All very sweet, even without signs of bitterness.
3 years ago I planted 3 berel honeysuckle bushes and one Gerda. Gerda has not yet been bearing fruit, and Berel convinced me - what is needed! Despite the miniature size of bushes, they began to produce in the year of planting. Just a little, about a third to half a glass, but still! Winter-hardy, good taste - bitter slightly bitterly - such piquancy in taste, the berries do not crumble. I’ll not say anything about Gerda, but when I bought she was guided by the fact that she tolerates Siberian frosts and the taste of berries - also without bitterness. Hope to try this year.
I grow nine varieties of honeysuckle, two old shrubs of unknown varieties, small-fruited, candidates for raskorchevku. But 7 large-fruited Bakchar varieties are good. These are Bakcharskaya Jubilee, Bakcharsky Giant, Daughter of the Giant, Sibiryachka, Yugan, Silginka and Delight. My climate in the lower Volga region is very hot, last summer it was up to +47 in the shade, all the bushes withstood the heat, but the vegetation stopped. The berry ripens early, before the early strawberries, the taste for the earliest berries is not bad. At first grandsons are grazed, then they switch to strawberries, the wife collects berries and freezes, makes raw jam and adds assorted jam to jam. Bushes fourth year, height to meter. Honeysuckle in my conditions is a very slow growing culture.
Honeysuckle is most popular as a source of delicious berries. If you want to decorate the site, the spectacular climbing varieties. In any case, it is important to choose an option depending on the region and taking into account the particularities of caring for the plant.
Most suitable for growing varieties of edible honeysuckle
What do we associate with the word “berry”? These are round, red, yellow, less often green, taste sweet or sour-sweet small fruits. The first to come to mind are raspberries, gooseberries, strawberries. But, even in our gardens, you can grow berries that do not correspond to such an idea at all - honeysuckle, a berry that has an irregularly elongated shape, a bright blue color and a very unusual, complex and refined taste. Many gardeners are interested in which varieties of edible honeysuckle are most suitable for growing in our conditions. Below we will provide descriptions of the most interesting varieties of domestic and foreign breeding, which can be bought in garden centers and nurseries, as well as what care they need to provide in the garden.
To date, there are more than 100 species of honeysuckle. The fruits of almost all of them are inedible, and some are poisonous. So, eating berries of honeysuckle ordinary (Lonicera xylosteum), widespread in the forests of our country, can be fatal.
The fruits of honeysuckle are very poisonous.
In Russia and the CIS countries, only one species of this plant with edible berries is cultivated - honeysuckle blue or blue (Lonícera caeruléa). It is a deciduous shrub in height from 1 to 2 m with blue-black oblong berries, the taste of which resembles blueberries. In the wild, honeysuckle of this species is most common in East Asia.
Video: Honeysuckle - Guest from the Far East
Blue honeysuckle has many subspecies. Among them:
- Altai honeysuckle. Shrub not higher than 1 m. Black and blue fruits with pronounced bitterness ripen throughout the summer. This honeysuckle grows in the forests of Altai, Siberia and the Urals, but can also occur on open mountain slopes,
- Kamchatka honeysuckle. Strongly branched shrub 1.5–2 m high. It begins to bear fruit in the second decade of June. Dark blue berries have a sweet-sour, slightly tart taste,
- honeysuckle pallas. Shrub up to 1 m. Its blue-black fruit ripens from late June to early September. Most often they have a bitter taste, but there are instances with rather sweet berries. Жимолость Палласа обычно растёт во влажных хвойных лесах Северо-Восточной Европы и Сибири,
- жимолость Турчанинова. Кустарник высотой около 1 м с шаровидной густой кроной. Ягоды бывают как продолговатой, так и округлой формы. Их вкус варьируется от сладкого до кисло-горького. В дикой природе жимолость Турчанинова встречается только на Сахалине,
- жимолость съедобная. Низкорослый кустарник, максимальная высота которого не превышает 1 м. Dark blue with a gray bloom berries ripen in late June - early July. They are valued for their sweet-sour taste and pronounced aroma. Edible honeysuckle is often found in coniferous and deciduous forests of Eastern Siberia and the Far East.
Most subspecies of blue honeysuckle have similar traits. Often, only professional biologists can distinguish them.
Description and characteristics of different varieties of honeysuckle
When creating new varieties breeders use different subspecies of honeysuckle. This allows you to get plants that meet the various requirements of gardeners. The following characteristics are especially important:
- resistance to adverse environmental conditions
- immunity to common diseases and pests,
- fruiting period
- the degree of crumbling
- the size and taste of the berries.
Video: Silginka Honeysuckle
The breeding variety of the Siberian Research Institute of Horticulture named after MA Lisavenko. Berries have a harmonious sour-sweet taste and aroma, reminiscent of strawberry.
Grade Cinderella was bred in 1974
The height of the bush is not more than 70 cm. The weight of the berries varies from 0.7 to 1.4 g. Their ripening usually occurs in the second decade of June. In some cases, the fruit is stretched for several weeks. Cinderella is characterized by precocity: the first berries can be collected already in the 2nd year of the plant's life. 7–8 years after disembarking, the bush produces from 2 to 5 kg of fruits.
Honeysuckle of this variety is resistant to low temperatures. For all the years of observations in the conditions of Siberia, not a single case of damage to the bushes from frost or a sharp change in the weather was observed. Cinderella is immune to most common diseases.
One of the largest varieties of honeysuckle. The average weight of its fruit is 1.8 g, and the maximum - 2.5 g. The taste of berries is sweet and sour. Their flesh is very juicy and tender.
The length of the fruits of the Bakchar giant is 4–5 cm
Bakcharsky giant bush is quite powerful. Its height can reach 2 m, and the width - 1.5 m. The krone is very sparse, which greatly facilitates picking berries. This variety without significant losses tolerates severe winter frosts and is rarely affected by pests.
The fruits ripen in late June - early July. The average yield is about 2.5 kg of berries from the plant, the maximum - 4.5 kg. Ripe berries are quite easily showered from the bush.
Bakcharsky Giant - I love! Abundant yield has not yet seen. The berries are huge, the skin is thin, not palpable, the taste is sour, there is no sense to perederzhivat on the bush. It does not become sweeter, and when over ripening, the berries become very tender, they gag in the hands.
Leningrad giant is valued by gardeners for large and sweet fruits without characteristic bitterness. The weight of the berries in this class can reach 4 g. The advantages also include:
- high yield (average - 3 kg per plant, maximum - 5 kg),
- dense skin of the fruit, allowing to transport berries without any special losses,
- slight shedding
- resistance to severe frosts, as well as to diseases and pests.
Among the shortcomings of this variety, uneven ripening of fruits can be noted, which often stretches from mid-June to late July.
The fruits of the Leningrad giant grow in clusters, which greatly simplifies their collection
The early ripe grade removed by employees of scientific research institute of gardening of Siberia of M. And. Lisavenko in 1980. The berries of the Blue Spindle in the conditions of central Russia and Siberia ripen in the first half of June, and in the south - in May. Their average weight is about 1 g.
The fruits have a pleasant sweet-sour taste. But with a lack of moisture they appear noticeable notes of bitterness. Because of this, the Blue Spindle berries are often consumed in a processed form. Blue spindle has a high precocity. The first berries appear the next year after planting. The average yield is about 2 kg per plant. The main disadvantage of this variety is quite strong shedding, due to which up to 15% of ripe fruits are lost.
I didn’t really like the Blue Spindle variety. Berries are interesting spindly, but not only that with sourness, they also bitterly.
Fruiting Bluebird varieties usually occur in mid-June. Berries of small size (0.7–0.9 g) are distinguished by a sweet taste and aroma similar to blueberry.
Bluebird ripen in mid-June
Bluebird bushes vigorous, with a dense spherical crown. Mature plants reach 1.8 m in height. Ripe berries cling to the branches and practically do not crumble.
The main disadvantage of this variety is quite low yield. From one plant you can collect no more than 2 kg of berries.
The berries of most varieties of honeysuckle are easily showered, which is why gardeners who did not pick ripe fruit in time can lose most of the harvest. Breeders are constantly working to eliminate this drawback.
Berries Amphora weighing about 1.2 g are firmly attached to the branches, which may make harvesting difficult. Under favorable conditions, about 2 kg of fruits are collected from one bush.
The main advantages of this class include:
- harmonious sweet-sour with a slightly bitter taste,
- thick and dense peel of the fruit, ensuring good transport,
- harmonious ripening of fruits
- resistance to low temperature.
Amphora is rarely affected by disease. But in some cases, young shoots of plants can suffer from aphids or honeysuckle mites. To avoid this, it is necessary to prevent the thickening of the crown and monitor the general condition of the bush.
Morena (or Little Mermaid) is an early ripe variety. Its large nymphaeaceous fruits ripen in mid-June. The average yield is about 1.5 kg per adult plant. In particularly favorable years, it can reach 2.5 kg. Mature fruits do not wither for a long time and do not crumble.
Morena fruits grow to 3–3.5 cm long and weigh about 1.5 g.
Morena berries have a sweet and sour dessert taste without bitterness and a pleasant faint aroma. They are often used in the preparation of desserts and blanks for the winter. Morena is listed in the State Register of Varieties as a culture recommended for cultivation in all regions of Russia. It perfectly tolerates severe frosts and droughts, and also has a high resistance to major diseases and pests.
Morena seemed to me from my 10 varieties the most beautiful, large and dessert and without bitterness, it showed excellent results in such a dry spring (there was no rain for May at all), over-wintered well and was all strewn with large dessert berries, the branches did not dry out unlike some other varieties, the berries are very large, but light.
Malvina belongs to sredneranny grades of honeysuckle. In the Central region of Russia, its fruits usually ripen in mid-June. Ripe berries keep well on the stalk and do not crumble.
The height of the Malvina bush is more than 1.5 m. Berries are elongated-pear-shaped with dense skin. Their flesh has a sweet and sour dessert taste and delicate aroma. The average weight of the fruit is slightly more than 1 g. The yield of this variety is quite high. With good care from one bush can collect about 3 kg of berries.
The daughter of the giant was bred in 2009 by specialists from the Bakcharky stronghold of northern horticulture. Today, this variety is one of the most large-fruited. The length of the berries can reach 6 cm, and the weight - 2.5–3 g. The ripening of fruits is rather extended in time and covers the period from the end of June to the middle of July.
Berries Daughters of a giant are much larger than the fruits of most varieties of honeysuckle
Also among the advantages of the Daughter of a giant are:
- high yield (from 3.5 to 5 kg per plant),
- sweet and sour taste
- fruits are not showered
- dry separation of berries
- excellent transportability of fruits,
- resistance to low temperature and lack of moisture, diseases, pests.
The daughter of a giant is a large, beautiful berry, it ripens later in other varieties, the skin is denser than that of Bakchar's giant, the taste is more pleasant.
The newest selection of breeding Kamchatka Research Institute of Agriculture. Sweetener fully justifies its name. Its fruits contain 13.3% sugar and 1.8% acid. Characteristic features of this variety are:
- violet with a strong wax coating the color of fruits of almost regular cylindrical shape,
- small size of berries (maximum weight about 1.5 g),
- sweet-sour taste of pulp with pronounced aroma,
- high yield
- early ripeness (in the conditions of the Moscow region the fruits ripen in mid-June),
- resistance to low temperature and disease.
Honeysuckle for the Moscow region and the middle band
In the Moscow region and in other regions of the middle zone, honeysuckle often suffers from repeated autumn flowering, which significantly weakens the plant and prevents a successful wintering and abundant fruiting in the next season. The main reason for this is the warm weather in September and October. The varieties of Moscow breeding are particularly resistant to repeated flowering:
- Gzhel early
- Moscow 23,
The yield champion among them is the Moscow 23 variety, from one bush of which up to 4 kg of sweet, slightly tart berries can be harvested. They usually ripen in the first half of June. Fruits need to be collected on time, otherwise they will begin to crumble.
Berry variety 23 Moscow weighs about 1 g
Gardeners who prefer sweet berries choose Kingfisher. In taste of fruits of this grade bitterness is practically absent. Among other advantages:
- yield is above average,
- resistance to severe frosts and pests,
- berries are not showered.
Varieties cultivated in Belarus
By its climatic conditions, Belarus is very similar to the North-Western region of Russia, therefore, honeysuckle varieties that are cultivated in the Leningrad region feel excellent here. In addition, the breeders of this country do not stop work on the creation of their own varieties. In 2007, they cultivated a variety of Zinri, distinguished by an early harvest period (June 3–9).
Other features of the Zinri variety:
- Excellent sweet taste with a refreshing scent.
- quite high yield (up to 3 kg per plant),
- resistance to low temperature and fungal diseases,
- low degree of fall of fruits.
Berries varieties Zinri have the shape of a barrel
Honeysuckle for Ukraine and southern regions of Russia
Honeysuckle growing in Ukraine and in the south of Russia, is suffering from a hot and dry summer. Harvesting a good crop in these conditions is almost impossible. Also, with a lack of water, the fruits of many varieties acquire strong bitterness. A pleasant exception to this rule is Silginka. It is quite easy to tolerate strong heat and prolonged lack of rain.
Experts of the State Commission of Ukraine for Testing and Protecting Plant Varieties recommend two varieties of honeysuckle for planting in the gardens of Poltava, Sumy and Kharkiv regions:
- Bogdana Fruitful, unwilling to shatter variety. The fruits ripen in the last decade of May and have a dessert sweet taste,
- Violet. The average yield is slightly less than 2 kg per plant. The flesh of the fruit is sweet and sour with a delicate aroma. In Ukraine, the berries ripen in early June. A significant disadvantage of this variety is the tendency to fall, due to which you can lose up to 40% of the crop.
To minimize the adverse effects of hot climates, experts recommend regularly watering honeysuckle bushes. Excellent results are obtained by planting this crop near the shores of natural and artificial reservoirs.
Honeysuckle grows in the south. It suffers from thaws in winter and hot weather in summer. Therefore, the harvest even on 10-year-old bushes is small.
What varieties of honeysuckle need to plant together
All varieties of honeysuckle blue are self-fruitful. For pollination of flowers and the appearance of berries, the presence of representatives of another variety is necessary. The more they will be, the richer the crop. When selecting varieties for the garden, it is necessary to take into account the timing of flowering plants. If they do not match, pollination will be impossible and the fruits will not be tied up.
According to most breeders, the taste of the berries and the size of the crop depend on the choice of the pollinator.
Honeysuckle arrived in our gardens from the Far East. Here it grows in floodplain forests, on the outskirts of marshes, in river valleys. Berries of wild honeysuckle bitter bitter. But the best cultivars of edible honeysuckle can boast not only sweetness and variety of flavors, but also various flavors. You can grow fruits with mild sourness or bitterness, opt for completely sweet berries. There are even varieties with the aroma of strawberries.
The taste and appearance of the berries are often compared with blueberries. But the fruits of honeysuckle are not only tasty, they are very useful. Vitamins and flavonoids, antioxidants and antibacterial substances make berries tasty and useful prevention of ailments.
Honeysuckle bushes in the spring start vegetation early. It blooms in the first days of May, and in the first days of summer it treats us with fruits, ahead of the earliest varieties of garden strawberries. Among the descriptions of varieties of honeysuckle edible, you can find later varieties that allow to extend the terms of consumption.
The most popular varieties of honeysuckle
Dark almost black berries of this early variety, covered with a gray bloom, surprise with the soft smell of strawberries. Hard-working honeysuckle Cinderella starts fruiting early. Harvest berries may get in the second year after planting.
Cinderella differs in significant yield, giving 3 kg from a low bush (0.7-1.2 m). The berries are a little showered. The plant almost never gets sick, tolerates frost well. Most varieties of honeysuckle are better pollinated and set more fruits, adjacent to other varieties. For Cinderella, the coveted neighbors will be the Leningrad giant, Titmouse, Amphora, Roxana.
It ripens very early. Perhaps this honeysuckle is the best among the early varieties: the ripening of its fruits comes a week earlier than most other early ripening varieties, the berries can stay on the bush for a long time without falling off.
Large long (up to 3 cm) berries are easy and pleasant to break off. Their taste is tart-sweet, no bitterness. Fragrant and juicy berries with thin skin are so tasty that you can forgive even the low yield of this variety. For better pollination of Honeysuckle Morena, its neighborhood with Viola, Nymph, Amphora, and Blue Spindle is desirable.
Beautiful and fruitful. Cold-resistant representative of the Siberian selection refers to the average maturity of varieties. On a tall one and a half meter bush, large, slightly pointed berries grow. The length of the tender fruits with thin skin - up to 2.7 cm. Berries do not crumble.
The variety grows well in temperate climates, well tolerates temperature changes. He is also pleased with his yield, reaching 3.5 kg. For pollination of this variety of honeysuckle, Cinderella, Parabelskaya, Tomichka, and Blue Spindle are recommended. The graceful conical shape of the crown and elongated leaves with clear outlines make it also a successful decoration of the garden landscape.
Another classic variety. He was one of the first to be characterized by a minimum shedding of berries. Although the variety has average yield values (1.5-2 kg per bush), it bears fruit regularly and the berries ripen together. The taste of their sweet, sweet, sour almost imperceptible. Berry size - up to 1.6-1.8 cm.
The variety is winter-hardy and self-explosive. For normal fruiting, joint planting with Tomichka, Vasyuganskaya, the Blue Spindle, Blue Bird is necessary.
It is easy to guess what taste note prevails in this variety of honeysuckle from the name. The excellent sweet-and-sour taste of fragrant berries is good in both fresh and processed berries. The elongated berries are covered with a thin peel. They are not very large, rarely reach 1.7 cm.
Sredneroslye bushes have a spreading crown. Their fruiting period begins at 4 years of age. Perhaps this honeysuckle is the best in terms of yield: up to 5 kg can be collected from an adult bush. The variety belongs to the middle-late, cold-resistant, unpretentious. The precipitation of fruits is insignificant.
Features of growing honeysuckle
Her wild ancestors grow in moist forest areas. From this we can conclude that the honeysuckle will feel most comfortable in conditions of sufficient moisture. Planting it on your site, consider the possibility of regular watering.
Although the plant needs a fairly good light, the constant presence in the sun inhibits honeysuckle bushes. The best place for planting a plantation will be a plot where in the midday hours it will be slightly shaded by the canopy of the trees.
In order to pollinate the flowers as efficiently as possible, you need to plant several varieties in the garden. The greater the variety variety, the better. Planting fragrant flowers also helps to attract beneficial insects.
For the convenience of gardeners, honeysuckle seedlings are sold in nurseries not by single specimens, but by a pair or group of plants. You should not neglect such a proposal when buying planting material, since the harvest of berries will directly depend on the selection of varieties.
Созревание плодов происходит очень рано (в первой половине июня), еще до появления в саду земляники или каких-либо других ягод. Это, несомненно, большое преимущество, которым обладает жимолость. Сладкие сорта ягод поспевают в более ранние сроки. Но их отличает то, что при достижении зрелости плоды быстро опадают. Это одно из отрицательных свойств отдельных сортов жимолости. Gardeners have found a way to harvest a crop without loss. To do this, during the period of active ripening of the honeysuckle berries, it is necessary to lay a film, paper or some other material under the bush, from which later sprinkled fruits can be easily collected.
Today for amateur cultivation of Russian varieties of edible honeysuckle can be called the following:
And after what time seedlings rotated from the seeds begin to bear fruit? Is it possible to order the seeds and is it worth trusting the seeds that are praying on the sites? Just thinking to order through the sites. So I doubt it.
Will the author or other readers of the magazine tell you where you can buy these delicious honeysuckle varieties in the Moscow region? Go
When propagated by seeds for the first time, the above-ground part of the bush grows very slowly, but the root is developing intensively. The appearance of the fruit fully begins in
The beginning of autumn (September)
In addition to edible varieties of honeysuckle, its decorative forms are known. Honeysuckle Tatar belongs to this type.
Berries are very rich in active substances, sugars, acids, vitamins, beneficial effects on the work of different systems of the human body. You can use them in fresh and processed form.
Tasty, fragrant, berries without bitterness, do not crumble.
The first fruits appear on the 3rd year. Seeds order on trusted sites. Check the forums for information. I collect my own seeds, but I ordered seedlings several times from the site. This year they managed to get their varietal seedlings from honeysuckle cuttings, which she wrote out in spring 2013. Honeysuckle, obtained from cuttings, begins to bear fruit in the 2nd year.
Something is in online stores that theoretically deliver to any point, and I was even going to order at one, but then I looked for reviews on the Internet and found a lot of impartial. Go
- a great worker. She begins to bear fruit in the second year after planting. It refers to the early ripening species of honeysuckle. He likes to coexist with the bushes varieties "Leningrad Giant" and "Amphora." Low bush - up to 0.7 meters, with thin shoots, without pubescence. The berry has a pleasant sour-sweet taste with the smell of strawberries. The fruits of the "Cinderella" is not large, with a delicate blue and thin peel. They are famous for healing properties and rich content of vitamins P and C. “Cinderella” is called a princess among honeysuckle, because she has a refined taste and extremely fragrant. Productivity - from 1.5 to 3 kg of fruit from a bush.
. During the first 3 years the shrub requires only timely watering and weed weed. Fertilize honeysuckle begin with the third year of life. For this, it is quite enough to add not more than a bucket of organic fertilizers for each plant at the beginning of spring, and at the end of summer, wood ash in the volume of 1 liter jar.
Also has an average ripening time. In this medium-tall shrub, with a rare ball-like crown shape, the berries do not crumble, and the yield is up to 3.0 kg from one unit of the plant.
The plant received its distribution due to its unpretentiousness, the ability of shoots to grow rapidly. In addition, the honeysuckle Tatarskaya spring blooms beautifully for a whole month. Petals can have different shades of color - from dark pink to white. In autumn, the bushes are decorated with bright red or yellow berries. In addition, the densely growing branches have a large number of leaves, which are also very attractive. But the plant has one big drawback - its fruits are not only inedible because of the bitter taste, but they are also poisonous.
There are many recipes for cooking using honeysuckle. It can be prepared for the winter in the form of freezing, jam, jam, compote, juice. Jam in color and taste is a lot like cherry. Honeysuckle juice is used as a food coloring.