The flower, which is called the antler, is properly called Platicerium and is a fern. Deer horns, it was called for the quaintness of the leaves, they really resemble horns.
Flower growers love the flower for its unpretentious content and decorative properties, which are due to the bright green of the plant. The fleshy, light-green leaves of Platicerium, covered with a light wax coating, are strongly dissected. Let's talk about how to properly care for this plant at home.
Kalanchoe Laciniata belongs to a diverse type of succulents, that is, "water-saving" plants, belongs to the family of pulrots. There are more than 200 types of them. South Africa and Asia, the tropical places of South America, are considered to be home to clananchoe. Kalanchoe Laciniata - a perennial herb, the shoots are juicy, fleshy, at first upright, then, as they mature, they become lodging, and then, with time, they completely become bare at the bottom.
The leaves are original, deeply dissected, serrated on the edges, light green bright color, as if covered with wax. This species is not so popular than other, more colorful Kalanchoe. But for its branchy carved bright leaves, this Kalanchoe is very fond of lovers of exotic flowers. The flower is unpretentious and quite easy to maintain.
This flower comes from subtropical Africa. It is very different from all its relatives with a feathery, pointed leaf shape. The leaves are bright, rich green, reminiscent of a decorative thorn with fleshy, sticking out in different directions leaves. Stems erect, grow to 45 - 50 cm. But adjacent with age. To give Kalanchoe a beautiful shape, it is often pruned at home. Blooms profusely. The flowers themselves are plain, simple, tiny, 1 - 2 cm, gently yellow or orange.
The leaves are fleshy, poured with juice, which is considered a therapeutic, anti-inflammatory agent. Leaves look like branched deer horns. As they grow older, the gentle leaves gradually lean down. The flowers are small, tubular, yellow, grow sparsely. This type is often used in wall decorations for home decor.
Where and how to plant?
Young Kalanchoe Laziniata transplanted 1 time per year:
- We process the pot for the prevention of disease.
- At the bottom of a small pot we place a drainage - pebbles, expanded clay, sliced cork pieces, 4-6 cm.
- Easily, without napattyvaya, we pour a damp soil.
- Deepen the neck level, making a small recess.
- We fertilize the soil.
Adult flower transplanted every 3 - 4 years as needed:
- Use the method of transshipment.
- The pot is required larger than the previous one.
- At the bottom, one third of the volume of the pot we fill the drainage base - expanded clay.
- We place shallow root together with old earthy clod.
- Fill the space of the pot with new soil.
- We make fertilizers.
Adaptation after transplantation usually lasts a short time - 1 - 2 weeks. The pot is suitable shallow, since Kalanchoe Laziniata has a weak root system. Be sure to put a thick layer of drainage base on the bottom of the deep pot to prevent rotting of the roots.
Lighting and location
Kalanchoe Laciniata loves bright light, like any representative of the tropics. Therefore, you can set the pots with a plant on any windowsill. Only the northern arrangement of the Kalanchoe pot follows. Here you will need additional lighting special phyto lamps. Especially in winter and autumn, when the light day is reduced, and the air temperature is lowered.
After a long winter, when the sun is not enough, cloudy days prevail, it is not recommended to immediately set up pots in the spring sun. Gradually “tame” Kalanchoe Laciniata to bright sunshine to avoid burns on leaves and flowers.
You can not keep the pot in the penumbra for a long time, Kalanchoe Laciniata will begin to languish, it needs sunlight.
The peculiarity of Kalanchoe Laciniata is that it is very resistant to dryness, it can be grown near radiators in the autumn-winter period.
In the summer it is not necessary to spray the leaves. Only on the hottest and hottest days you can water a little with cool water. Constant spraying of Kalanchoe Laciniate is not required.
The substrate is best purchased in the store, with a mark - for succulents or cacti.
For the first option will require:
- turf ground - part 1,
- leaf ground - 1 part,
- large river sand - 1 part,
- vermiculite -1/4 part.
You can also use:
- universal soil - 2 parts,
- coconut substrate -1 part,
- vermiculite - 1 part,
- humus - 1 part.
Another option substrate:
- light loam -1 part,
- coconut substrate -1 part,
- Zeolite cat litter - 1 part.
How to care?
- Watering for Kalanchoe Laciniata should be moderate. We monitor the state of the upper layer of the substrate - with full drying, watering is required.
- In the summer, on especially hot days, we pour 2 times a week in small doses.
- In winter, watering is reduced, it is enough 1 time in 7 - 8 days, Kalanchoe Laziniata can get sick with excessive watering, prone to rotting of the trunk and leaves.
Water only with distilled or purified water. Water can be poured into the pan so that it does not fall on the leaves.
With a lack of moisture, Kalanchoe Laziniata loses leaves. Shriveled leaves - a sign of lack of watering. But even on summer days the flower does not require spraying. Temperature. Kalanchoe Laciniata perfectly tolerates heat. The temperature regime in summer is up to 28 - 30 ° C, in winter the necessary air temperature is 12 - 15 ° C. The most optimal temperature for keeping a flower is 17 - 18 ° C.
Beware of overheating of the air, if you keep Kalanchoe Laciniate at high temperature, flower buds will not be planted, and you most likely will not wait for flowering. But the flower should not freeze too, it causes a drop of leaves.
The most common problems
These diseases are usually caused by abnormal flower maintenance.
- Kalanchoe Laciniata can get sick if it receives insufficient light. Symptoms: leaves turn pale, become yellowish and fall off.
- If the leaves began to shrivel and fall off - a little moisture and too high a temperature in the room. Required to normalize the temperature and humidity.
- If the long-awaited flowering does not come, it means that the Kalanchoe is overloaded with organic fertilizers, you should stop feeding for a while.
- After flowering, Kalanchoe Laciniata can slow down in growth, will begin to bare, this is a sign of lack of nutrition. You can fertilize or renew, transplant a flower.
- Avoid stagnant humidity in the room and substrate. This usually leads to the appearance of gray mold. Signs: leaves are covered with brown and then black spots.
- For Kalanchoe Laciniata is very dangerous shield - small pests - insects. A sticky gray patina appears on the leaves. A fungus appears, flowering stops. It is necessary to treat the leaves with an alcohol solution, carefully remove insects. Repeat the procedure.
- Mealy dew appears when waterlogging. Signs: white spots and bloom on the leaves. It is necessary to reduce the air temperature, it will be necessary to spray fungicides. The treatment should be done immediately - the fungus quickly infects other plants that are nearby.
- Mealybug - A common disease of Kalanchoe Laciniate. White wax coils appear on the stems and leaves. Treatment with alcohol or insecticides of diseased areas is required. You can add a spray of mineral oil.
Kalanchoe Laziniata reproduces by children, cuttings and seeds. Most often used cuttings - this is the easiest way to reproduce at home, it is suitable even for novice florist.
- Reproduction combine with transplant.
- Strong shoots up to 6 cm are selected.
- Cut the stalk together with the air root.
- A little dry sapling.
- Cut cuttings are planted in a wet substrate, sand or agroperlite.
- Cuttings take root in 1 - 2 weeks.
The process is long and requires patience and certain skills of breeding flowers.
- Seeds are sown in winter or early spring.
- Seeds gently press down, do not need to fall asleep their substrate.
- Make a greenhouse - pritenyuyut thick paper and cover with glass.
- The substrate is lightweight, deciduous. The aging temperature is 16-17 ° C.
- Air 2 times a day, the glass is turned over to the other side.
- Watered with purified water at room temperature.
- As soon as shoots appear, the greenhouse is removed.
- After 30 - 35 days, the sprouts are moved to a box, covered with a film or glass.
- With the appearance of 2 - 3 leaves, transplanted into small pots with a diameter of 6 - 7 cm.
- Young shoots pinch the top.
- In the middle of summer, they pinch again to form a bush of 4 - 5 shoots.
- At the end of the summer by the method of transshipment, keeping the “native” substrate, the seedlings are transplanted into pots of 2 each.
- Usually, flowering can be expected a year after sowing the seeds.
The peculiarity of tropical Kalanchoe Laziniata is that the flower grows very quickly and requires little attention. With proper care, in addition to the intricate greenery, you can admire the modest flowering of Kalanchoe - bright delicate - yellow flowers - bells.
Biological description of the flower Deer Horns
It has two types of leaves (wai): sterile and sporiferous. Sterile vai form a funnel in which nutrients accumulate over time. They can serve the dead parts of the plant itself, the seeds and leaves of other plants caught in the funnel of platicerium.
Indoor Horn Flower
Sporiferous wai can be upright or overhanging. They also remind the antlers. There is no color on the plantbecause ferns do not bloom.
Humidity and watering
Platicerium, like all ferns, loves abundant watering and high humidity.
With all the love of high humidity, you should also ensure that moisture in the pan does not accumulate. Waterlogging can lead to rotting of the root system. and to death in general. He likes frequent spraying in the summer. Spraying is also carried out with pre-purified or boiled water.
Watering is necessary in 1-2 days after drying of the top layer of soil in a pot. Often beginning flower growers are too zealous with watering.
Platicerium needs very high humidity, it should be sprayed with warm boiled or purified water.
In winter, water less frequently, about once every 10 days. . Spraying in the winter is better not to produce. With dryness in the room, you can put a wide container with water next to the fern.
Temperature and lighting
Deer antlers, prefers diffused lighting and a sufficiently high temperature in the room. Does not tolerate direct sunlight. It is best to place the flower on the east or west window.
Optimum temperature from +20 to + 25 ° С . But the flower can easily tolerate fluctuations in temperature. In the summer, it perfectly withstands higher temperatures up to + 32 ° C, and in winter it can exist at temperatures from + 12-14 ° C. In the winter, you can use the phytolamp to create sufficient light.
Soil and fertilizer for flower
The composition of the soil for optimal growth and development of Platicerium:
- sand 1 part
- leaf land 1 part,
- peat 2 parts
- a mixture of moss and small pine bark 1 part
Great Deer horns, ready-made mixture for orchids. You can buy it in a flower shop.
Fertilize every month with complex fertilizer for ferns. Experienced gardeners recommend using half the dose indicated in the instructions.. In the autumn and winter to make fertilizer is not necessary.
Diseases and pests
Deer horns, flower quite resistant to diseases and pests. More often it starts to hurt from the wrong care..
- The leaves have lost elasticity and brightened. Most likely to suffer from exposure to direct sunlight. Should priteny plant. Platicerium responds to sunburn by the appearance of dark spots on the leaves.
- The leaves began to dry. So the flower reacts to a lack of moisture.
- The leaves began to fade. Blame over-watering.
- Shchitovka. These pests should be manually removed or washed away. It should be remembered that you can not wipe the leaves of deer horns, so as not to damage the hairs that are covered with leaves.
- Spider mite. If this pest is affected, it must be treated with an insecticide.
- With excessive moisture in high temperature conditions, powdery mildew. In this disease, it is necessary to treat the leaves with a fungicide.
Features of care in the summer and winter
Platicerium does not have a pronounced rest period. From October to February, the flower should be allowed to rest. With sufficient light, the temperature for a flower in winter is + 15-17 ° C . The plant during this period is not fertilized and sprayed with water. Watering should be reduced, but it should not be allowed to completely dry the earthy coma.
In summer, watering increase. You can moisten the plant by immersing the container with Platicerium in water for a few seconds.
This method of reproduction is practically not used in home floriculture, because it is very laborious and often does not produce results.
Spores, which are located at the ends of the sporiferous wai from the bottom side, must be collected and dried. Then the spores are placed on the ground surface. Cover them with soil is not necessary. It is necessary to moisten the soil systematically, and from above cover the container with glass or film.
The first leaves of the fern Deer Horns during reproduction by spores will appear in 2 months
For the development of adult plants spores need an abundance of sunlight and high humidity.
This breeding method is much easier. Periodically, young shoots appear in the adult fern. It is necessary to wait until the offspring have enough roots to develop and gently separate the young shoot. It should be placed in a prepared primer. Full rooting of the offspring occurs in 2-3 weeks. The emergence of new leaves, a sure sign that the plant stuck.
- Keep the plant better on the western or eastern windows, like other ferns. That is, the sun is not required the hottest. Deer horns need protection from the direct rays of the sun. At the same time, the flower likes good diffused lighting.
- The plant does not tolerate drafts, cold, harsh air, although regular airing of the room in which it is located is necessary. Deer horn does not tolerate dust and smoke.
- For good growth in spring and summer, the optimum temperature will be around 20 ° C, when the temperature exceeds 24 ° C, the humidity should be high, because the plant does not tolerate high temperatures. In autumn and winter, the optimum temperature is 15-17 ° C. Too warm air hurts the horn, so it is not recommended to place it near the central heating radiators.
- Since tropical forests are home to most ferns, these plants do not tolerate dry air. In this regard, the flowers should be regularly sprayed at least twice a day, on hot summer days - 3-5 times a day. In warm rooms, the plant is sprayed with warm water.
- Mainly platicerium is grown in a special mixture for fern. The mixture consists of peat moss and pine bark. Can also be used pieces of bark and stumps.
- Fern transplantation is carried out in the spring after the first growth. When transplanting preserved earthen room.
- Roots are not cut, only dead and old roots are removed. When transplanting the roots are straightened, and the planting is done so that the root neck is above the ground.
- In the spring and summer, the plant needs organic and mineral fertilizers. Feeding, consisting of mineral salts alone, can not be used. Autumn and winter do not produce top dressing, as this can lead to serious disease of the flower.
Types and description of the flower antlers
Coral ferns, until recently in the florist houses were rare. Now they are becoming more popular and the ranks of their fans are replenishing every day.
Deer antler flower (the second name is Platycerium bifurcatum) prefers tropical areas of South America, Africa, Australia, Southeast Asia and New Guinea. The genus Platycerium includes about 18 species, but only some of them can be grown as houseplants. Some representatives of this genus grow as epiphytic (in trees), others as lithophytes (on rocks). The most decorative types:
- Platycerium alcicorne (Platicerium is salmonogy),
- P. angolense (P. Angolan),
- P. coronarium (P. coron),
- P. grande (P. big),
- Ridleyi (P. Ridley).
Among the highly ornamental species of fern, a special place is occupied by Platicerium deer-horn. Under natural conditions for itself, it grows, attaching itself to a tree with the help of a weakly expressed root system. “Deer Horns” is not a parasite and does not harm the tree on which it lives. Water and nutrients the plant gets through the leaves. In ferns, leaves are called fronds, and in Platicerium there are two types:
- Sporiferous - the main "decoration", giving a resemblance to a plant with deer horns. They can grow up to 60-80 cm, dividing along the growth into reed lobes 2-3 times. Under the lower surface of the leathery sheet plate rusty spores are located fern. Beginners-growers may mistakenly take the brown spots of a dispute for a disease that struck their handsome “antlers”.
- Sterile. As a rule, they are rounded and form a kind of outlet at the base of the plant, which helps to better attach to the surface of the tree. Initially, the fronds are green and juicy, but ultimately lose moisture and become brown in color and thin as parchment paper. In addition to helping to attach, this type of leaf contributes to the nutrition of the whole flower of the antler because under them accumulate organic matter.
Attention! The brown color of the leaf plates of the fern does not mean that the plant dies or is sick, and in no case should they be removed!
Care in the apartment
In order for the “deer horns” to delight you with its appearance, it is necessary to observe several conditions:
- Avoid the scorching rays of the sun, and create a shadow, imitating the natural conditions for the plant (as under the crown of a tree). With artificial lighting Platiterrium is unlikely to survive.
- It requires access to fresh air, but at the same time the fern is sensitive to drafts.
- The humidity level in the room should be in the range of 60-80% (do not forget that the “deer horns” are a tropical plant). If the apartment is very dry air (which is often observed in the winter with enhanced heating), you can put a container with water near the fern.
- The optimum temperature is 20 ° C. An increase in temperature requires an increase in humidity.
- The soil should be well drained (a mixture for orchids - soil and bark 1: 1, but bark and sphagnum moss can be used).
- Watering regularly, but do not overdo it, because with an excess of water, "deer horns" can rot. It is better to focus on the top layer of soil - if it is slightly dried, you can water it. Spraying is recommended (in winter it is better to refrain from this procedure). Stick to the rule - the more humidity, the less watering.
- During the growing season (spring-summer), deer antler flower needs feeding every 2 weeks. Water soluble fertilizers for orchids or ferns are well suited for this purpose. During the period of rest (autumn-winter) feeding 1 time per month. Some growers as a dressing lay a banana peel for a rounded leaf vayu.
Platicerium is most often grown in shallow pots and hanging pots. But if you want to make the most of the decorativeness of the “deer horns”, then the plant can be transplanted onto a wooden block, imitating real deer horns, as shown in the photo.
The transplant is well tolerated only by young ferns, more mature ones should not be disturbed. Sphagnum moss with peat particles and pieces of rotted bark and leaves are used as a substrate and a power source. On the prepared board with hammered in nails with the help of fishing line and moistened moss, a bed for “deer horns” is formed. The substrate layer should not be too voluminous, 1.5-2 cm in thickness is enough.
Attention! Do not use copper wire to create the substrate, it can adversely affect the fern.
The roots of the "antler" need to be cleaned from the old substrate as carefully as possible, but at the same time very carefully. Then the platicerium is transferred to a new habitat, the sterile vayu is pressed to the formed substrate and strengthened with a fishing line. Frond will grow and form a bracket, so sphagnum is distributed evenly, without any bumps and depressions.
After this, it will only be necessary to choose a place on the wall and reinforce the board with “deer horns” to the delight of you and the surprise of your friends.
Kalanchoe dissected Deer horns: care for Kalanchoe laciniata
One of the most interesting plants on my window sill is Kalanchoe dissected or lobed (Kalanchoe laciniata). For the unusual shape of the leaves, it is also called Deer Horns (Deer Horns). And as for me, they even look like fleshy needles. Today - care for this beautiful succulent.
Kalanchoe dissected (dissected) is an unpretentious houseplant. This means that it can adapt to unsuitable for him conditions of detention. But in order for this green friend to be pleased with the decorative look, it is better to listen to his demands - and observe them. Moreover, the "rider" in such a plant is quite simple.
Care Kalanchoe laciniata
Lighting. Like many other indoor Kalanchoe, Deer horns love bright light. This green friend feels good on the windows of an east, west, southeast and southwest orientation. Worse - on the north (need illumination). The south side is also suitable for him.
But, if for a long time this succulent was in an insufficiently lit place, as well as after a slightly sunny winter, it should be taught to direct sunlight gradually. Otherwise there may be spots and burns on the leaves.
Attention! Because of the exceptionally unusual type of plant, some gardeners often have a desire to put it in the back of the room - to decorate the interior. It can be done. However, reduce to a minimum watering. And do not keep the succulent in a partial shade longer than three weeks - otherwise it will wither. Artificial illumination alone is not enough.
Watering. As with the rest of the succulent plants, cautious. This is the only thing that can cause difficulties: with excessive irrigation, the Kalanchoe laciniate has a high probability of rotting of the trunk. However, with our method of plant care, over-irrigation, as a rule, does not threaten a green friend.
But excessive drought is also undesirable for Deer horns. It will not lead to the death of this phytoexotic. But it will cause drying of the leaves, as a result of which the plant will lose its decorative effect. The emergence of wrinkled foliage with kohloy is a signal: the plant is thirsty.
I chose such a watering regime for my green pet: in the winter - once a week, and on warm and hot days in summer, late spring and early autumn - 2 times a week.
Resistance to dry air. High. The plant may well be kept near batteries in the winter. Spraying this pain does not require. But on particularly hot days, you can approach it with a spray gun.
Temperature. Such a succulent endures the heat well. In winter, you can choose two conditions: warm (at room temperature) and cold "succulent". But in this case, such a resident of the pot can throw off the leaves, which then grow in the spring.
Transfer. As needed. The plant has a weak root system, so the pot can be taken shallow. Or make a very good drainage layer.
Pay attention to the photo 2: in such a pot Kalanchoe laciniate grows for beauty. A two-thirds pot filled with expanded clay. But, in any case, good drainage must be done to protect the roots from rotting. It is better to take a special soil for succulents and cacti.
Attention! If you have not watched and the stem still began to rot, you need to cut off the remaining healthy part - and place it in the sand or perlite (making a mini-greenhouse) before the roots form.
Breeding. Children, cuttings, seeds. Cuttings root easily in sand or agroperlite. Also this plant gives aerial roots. This can be used for rejuvenation and reproduction of succulent - just cut off the stalk with aerial roots and plant it in the ground.
Bloom. With proper care, Deer horns bloom bright flowers, like bells.
This succulent grows fast.
Such are the simple rules of care for Kalanchoe laciniata.
However, unfortunately, this inhabitant of warm latitudes is affected by pests. His enemy is the shield. It can be seen on a sticky coating on fleshy leaves. It is easy to get rid of this parasite. It is easily washed off with water. However, such watermaker does not like frequent water procedures. When this attack started, I rubbed the Kalanchoe with alcohol and tore off especially damaged leaves. And also used sticks against pests. Shchitovka retreated.
Let your green friend grow and make you happy!
When transplanting, you can propagate the plant by dividing an adult flower. It is necessary to ensure that when separating both parts of the plant preserve the roots and vai of both species.. Otherwise, the plant will die.
Replanting a flower is necessary no more than once every 4 years. The plant is carefully placed in a new container at a shallow depth. When transplanting, care must be taken not to damage the sterile tubs and roots.. When transferring to a new tank, one should not forget about the drainage.
Benefits of the Stag Horns
Deer antlers perfectly purify the air in the room. They saturate the surrounding air with phytoncides that beneficially affect a person. Besides, Deer antlers actively absorb hydrocarbon compounds from the air.. For example, they perfectly purify indoor air from gasoline fumes and automobile exhaust gases falling from the street. This ability of the flower to become very popular, thanks to the increased number of cars, on the streets of our cities.
Difficulties in growing
At the beginning gardeners sometimes have difficulties with watering and reproduction of deer horns. Besides, experienced flower lovers are advised to place deer horns in limbo. After all, this is how it exists in the natural environment. To do this, you can use a small log in the recess of which is filled with moss and fixed flower. For the same purpose, you can use a piece of bark.
This type of flower is also called salinoger. This name was given to two platyzerium for very large leaves, which really resemble elk horns. Reaches 45-75 cm in height and the same in width. Under natural conditions, the double-platyplasticrium reaches such dimensions that it may fall under its own weight.
Looks like a two-forked but with more modest size leaves. If the leaves of the platinum platinum resemble antler elk, your platicerium hill really resemble more graceful deer horns. It is much smaller than the previous species.
Forms a kind of "nest" of the leaves. The leaves end with horns characteristic of platicerium. The leaves bloom gradually, which adds originality to the plant. This type of platicerium resembles a head of cabbagewho decided for unknown reasons to acquire horns. Such an amazing form of the plant leaves no one indifferent.
Highly decorative view with large triangular leaves. The width of the top of the sheet can reach 40 cm . The leaves of this species of platicerium resemble large hanging triangles with wavy edges. Due to its unusual appearance, it is very popular florist.
Often the same type of plant has several names. The same happened with the platicerium Salmonogum. This is the second name of two-platinum platinum.. Its leaves are very reminiscent of elk horns.
Platicerium, antlers and fern antler, are the names of one plant. However, deer horns are also often called the cut Kalanchoe. It should be noted that these are completely different plants. Kalanchoe is not a fern and blooms quite abundantly.
A variety of indoor plants is simply amazing. Each of them, no matter how simple it is, animates the interior, makes the house unique. Potted flowers help the residents of megacities to feel unity with nature, learn to create beauty with their own hands., get rid of depression and get a positive charge. That is why the cultivation of indoor plants is becoming an increasingly popular hobby.
Platicerium is a houseplant that differs from other species of ferns in the unusual shape of its leaves. That is why it is popularly called deer horns. This indoor plant is characterized by unpretentious care, which saves energy and money on it. The plant is classified as perennials and has succulent and fleshy shoots. They are erect at first.
At a young age, the flower is characterized by a rather dense crown. Over time, it is rare.
Deer antlers have fleshy leaves, which are characterized by deep dissection. The plant has a light green color with a waxy bloom. The flower is tubular in shape and yellow-orange in color. Platicerium has a fairly abundant flowering.
Deer antlers are a very beautiful indoor culture, with which you can decorate any room in the house.
Platiterium: biological description
Platiceriums - a separate genus of ferns, in which there are 17 species. Extremely unusual external form has led to the fact that these ferns are often called the "deer horn" or "flat plate". Actually, the name itself can be translated from Latin as “wide horn”.
It is difficult now to say exactly where the historical homeland of this family is located. Many researchers call Australia in this capacity, although, apparently, its species have long since spread in the zone of tropical rain forests of Africa and the Indian subcontinent.
All Platiceriums are typical epiphytes: they live in trees, firmly clinging to the trunk of the host with tenacious roots, and as if “embracing” it with wide, dense leaves. These leaves are sterile, they only support the plant. In the upper part, sterile leaves form a characteristic funnel, where everything goes - from small twigs to dry foliage, insects and dead bark. All this mass gradually rotts inside the funnel, forming a nutrient mixture for platizerium.
Interesting! In nature, there were huge ferns, which accumulated inside the funnel to a centner of such a nutrient substrate!
Well, the legendary “horns” of platicerium are the spore-bearing leaves that any fern on Earth has. But even here the flower of the antlers stood out! Its spores do not form sori, like other ferns, but are simply scattered on the lower surface of the leaf, dyeing it in a slightly reddish color.
All species of platicerium live in tropical rainforests, which must be taken into account when keeping home. Each of the specimens can grow over the years, sometimes reaching impressive sizes.
In the indoor floriculture used only 4 species of these plants.
Platicerium double (Platycerium bifurcatum).
This type is most often found in the collections of amateur florist. And if people often argue on whose horns the leaves of the platicerium look like deer or elk, then in the case of this species the conclusion is unequivocal: elk. Its leaves are wide, rounded, divided at the edges into separate lobes. The upper part of the green leaves has a slightly bluish tint. Homeland species - forests of Australia.
Platicerium Angolan (Platycerium angolense).
It is often called flat-roofed. The leaves are inferior in size to the previous species, moreover, they are more likely to have a triangular shape, the edges of the leaves are not dissected, but only slightly jagged. One of the most moisture-loving species, it is not easy to maintain it.
Platicerium large (Platycerium grande)
It is distinguished by large sterile leaves and elongated sporiferous wayas, up to half dissected into strips, resembling wide belts. These wai sometimes reach the meter length, and the "straps" hang down, giving the plant a high decorative effect.
Platicerium Hill (Platycerium Hillii Moore)
It is very reminiscent of a reduced copy of the two-platinum platinum. Its leaves are less dissected along the edges, often the segments are slightly pointed. Spores are not scattered over the entire surface, but are grouped into small oval spots.
Conditions and care for outlandish ferns
If to judge in general, the care of the platicerium cannot be called simple. Although the plants look great, especially in a separate hanging pots, recalling the trophy of a successful hunter. But if a hunter has to kill an animal to get a trophy, then the platicerium will decorate the room with its “horns” without any violence over wildlife.
It should be bright, but without falling on the leaves of direct sunlight. If the pot with fern is on the windowsill, the eastern or western orientation of the window is perfect.
Interesting! It is noticed that the longer your plants are, the more light-requiring they are. On the contrary, species with short sporiferous leaves tolerate a lack of light better.
When a plant lacks light, its leaves become thin, lose their elasticity, hang down, and their color becomes darker.
This is the most difficult element in the care of the "deer horn." The humidity of the ambient air should always be increased, preferably up to 80%. At the same time, large vai can be sprayed only with fine drops. Large drops will flow down the tiny hairs covering the surface of the leaf, almost without wetting it.
Протирать листья платицериумов влажной салфеткой тоже крайне нежелательно, потому, что при этом ворсинки будут уничтожаться, а это недопустимо. Лучший способ поднятия влажности — работа увлажнителя воздуха, или наличие возле горшка поддона с влажным керамзитом. If the air in the room remains dry for a long time, it will negatively affect the state of the fern.
Watering and feeding
It is best to water the platiceriums by immersing the container in a basin of water, as is customary with orchids. The water should be soft, preferably slightly warm. After such abundant watering, you need to wait until the soil dries noticeably, and only then water again. This fern does not like constant moisture, its roots easily rot from excess water in the substrate.
Feeding antler is also carried out with special fertilizers for orchids. They are usually used twice a month. If there are no such fertilizers, it is possible to take conventional complex fertilizers only by reducing their concentration by half.
There are cases when platicerium is grown without any soil, on a block of bark. Then the frequency of dressings should be increased.
In the case when the plant is in a pot, standard orchid substrates are used for rooting. You can create a mixture of its own, it should have acidity with a pH of 5.5-6. Approximately, you can take the following composition:
- leaf ground - 1 part,
- coarse sand - 1 part,
- high peat - 2 parts,
- finely chopped pine bark - 0.5 parts,
- crushed sphagnum moss - 0, 5 parts,
- crushed coal - tablespoon per liter of finished mixture.
The resulting substrate will be lightweight, moisture-absorbing and breathable.
It takes place every 2-3 years, and in a small pot, as the roots of this plant are poorly developed. Be sure to arrange at the bottom of the pot a powerful drainage layer that prevents the stagnation of moisture.
Sterile fern leaves platicerium tightly cover the pot, withering over time. In their place grow new, but the old, withered, no need to clean up - they also participate in the nutrition of platiterium.
If a flower is grown on a block, its leaves will eventually almost completely hide the bark. If there is such a possibility, a layer of sphagnum is pushed between the bark and leaves.
These ferns can be propagated either by spores (which is rarely done in amateur floriculture), or by separation of shoots.
The processes of the platicerium usually appear at the base of the bush. To plant a new scion, it must already have roots and at least three small leaves, including a sterile shield. Carefully, with the help of a sharp knife, the baby is separated from the mother plant and planted in a prepared new pot.
Attention! It is important to ensure that the growth bud is above the level of the substrate.
After transplantation, the baby should be covered with polyethylene for at least a week so that the plant takes root in this mini-greenhouse.
Diseases, pests and problems
If the leaves of the fern dry up, it means that the air in the room is too dry. Talking about caring for a deer antler flower is the most common problem. Too bright leaves signal for excessively bright light, and too dark for a lack of light. And in fact, and in another case, the leaves also lose turgor.
If young leaves have wilted, dipped, this is a sure sign of a problem with the roots. Apparently, you poured your pet. Remove the roots from the pot, inspect, remove the rotted, and dry the substrate.
Of the pests, the platicerium is visited by scale insects, thrips and spider mites. It is necessary to fight ticks with the help of acaricides, for example, Fitoverma. Popular insecticides will help get rid of other insects. Just remember that they need to be applied with a fine spray!